PDA

View Full Version : Gold Knight's Ten Comments (One Piece 430)

Gold Knight
October 10, 2006, 11:48 PM
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/7840/00hd8.jpg
Okay, so it's not exactly all fun n games this week...

Here you guys go, my thoughts on the latest installment of One Piece. Looks like we may not be getting a OP chapter this week, so that's partly the reason I waited a bit to do this. Hopefully nobody minds.

Thanks again to Harrmd for his bang-up MQ scanlations of OP these days (only things he needs to work on is the greys and cleaning all the dust out), and especially to pocketmofo for keeping us alive with OP translations. With all the popularity of OP, I'm really puzzled as to why we don't have more translations, but either way, pocketmofo's been a savior to OP fans here lately. If anybody else is interested in translating OP on a weekly basis, we'd love seeing more around here. Thanks!

Anyway, phew, what a solemn chapter, huh. Guess we might as well get started. Feel free to comment as always!

* * * Gold Knight's Ten Comments on One Piece Chapter 430: The Falling Snow of Reminiscence * * *

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/2436/01ak6.jpg
Hmm.. maybe I need to take it easy with my thunderbolts...

1. Moonstruck Part III. Or "Enel's Great Space Adventure," I guess, as Oda's calling it now. Looks like this will be our current mini-storyarc for a while.

So it seems Enel is currently surveying his lunar surroundings, and he's probably rather mystified right now. Could be that he may eventually come to the realization that he's come to the wrong world.

Might he be an opponent for Luffy sometimes in the future again? I tend to doubt it, but I'm sure his fans would be delighted at the idea. Enel was a pretty formidable enemy, no doubt about it. But I think Oda's got something else in mind for him, probably intending for him to stay on the moon. Because if Enel does come back to haunt Luffy and co., I think it'd just be more of the same of what happened in the Skypiea arc, to be honest. Not that it wouldn't be an epic battle, but we've already seen it.

And Oda doesn't seem to me the type of writer who'd just rehash old stories and recycle villains for later conflicts. Buggy the Clown was an exception, but so far, the only one, and he did bring along with him a new crewmate. (Well, to my recollection, Buffy was the only one anyway... feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

Which I suppose brings us to the poll I decided to include this week. I thought it'd be interesting to see which villain you guys wanted the most to come back at some point in the series. So, vote away. ;)

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5508/02mf5.jpg
They'll probably never realize it, Zoro.

2. Usopp's Mysterious Disappearance...! Heh, so we see the return of Sogeking sooner than expected. Ugh, I agree with Sanji and Zoro, though, for Luffy to STILL not have realized that Sogeking was Usopp (as well as Chopper), they are something dense!

But at the same time, I was appreciative that Luffy did acknowledge that Usopp should probably have ownership of Merry Go, because he did have more faith in the ship than Luffy did. Ever since Merry Go unexpectedly appeared, I was saying that. So because Luffy did think along the same lines, my respect for him actually went up here for admitting that much.

Of course, as we'd soon find out, that wouldn't be the case that Merry Go was alright. Just as well, because it did validate that Luffy had made the right decision after all.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/5156/03xy1.jpg
Note that Zoro and Franky seem really, really disturbed... XD

3. Just Hearing Things? Well, looks like Zoro and Robin heard Merry Go's voice, after all. I (and a few others) had surmised a couple of chapters ago that only the most child-like characters in Luffy's crew (including the captain himself) were able to hear the ship, but not the others.

But guess we were all mistaken, because they sure don't get any more mature than Zoro and Robin.

But note that Kokoro didn't hear it. Or at least seemed like she didn't.

What does this mean? Eh, just that every single crewmate of the Strawhat Pirates had a meaningful connection to that ship, I suppose. Which makes enough sense on its own. That's why they, and only they, heard the voice then. And there's some in truth in that people sometimes do tend to think of inanimate objects as having human-like characteristics, and maybe that's the case here with the Strawhat crew and their ship. Only, of course, in Oda's world, that sentiment would seem to have had some truth to it.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/670/04wm5.jpg
Ahoy, Cap'n Iceburg? XD

4. The Return of Iceburg. Well, so that was how Oda solved the problem of having Luffy continue his adventures without having to go back to Water Seven. By having his crew meet Iceburg's Galley-La Company ship in the seas. Guess it was good timing, though, as Merry Go was about to give up the ghost, as we saw shortly afterwards.

I've gotta to say, though, I was pleased to see Iceburg. I'm more than ready to get this storyarc over with and move on to something else, and Iceburg's appearance would seem to signal the end of this one, now. Of course, I didn't expect an even more dramatic finish!

Sidenote: Is it just me, or does Mayor Iceburg look like he would make a pretty good pirate captain himself? Heh.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/7008/05tt6.jpg
Time to rest.

5. End of the Line... Well, you did get a sense that Merry Go was trying its darnedest to keep itself together at least until it could get Luffy's crew to shore safely. Nice that Iceburg and his boys arrived just in time to help out.

I mean, Merry Go had already done more than it was supposed to do, considering it was able to take Luffy and his friends as far as Water Seven after being so critically damaged. Guess it took after Luffy's crew in its persistence, huh?

So I guess that's what a ship with a broken keel will do... fall completely to pieces. Poor Merry Go. Guess Iceburg, Paulie, and Lucci really weren't kidding when they said that the ship's lifeline was close to its end.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5175/06wp9.jpg
Assuming shipwrights could work on it while at sea...!

6. A Captain's Distress...! How quickly we forget, eh? Of course, I'll cut Luffy some slack since he did just survive a tough battle with the CP9 and just barely got out of Enies Lobby and away from the navy, mostly thanks to Merry Go's timely arrival.

But he WAS acting a bit too silly here. The shipwrights HAD already told Luffy that Merry Go's time was nearing its end. Kinda got the impression that a child's favorite toy boat had just broken and he was begging his father to fix it.

I suppose that the shock of seeing Merry Go come to their rescue might have made Luffy feel like there was still a lot more gas left in its tank (figuratively talking). Oh well, I suppose being a pirate captain, it's a good thing he did gain an appreciation for ships after this experience. He'll probably take better care of the next one.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6640/07ta9.jpg
Wow, my head injury's worse than I thought...!

7. A Ship's Plea for Help. Now we know that no ship spirit was behind the temporary repairs of Merry Go after all, but none else but Iceburg. Must've felt pretty silly while he was trying to fix a ship as badly broken as that all along, but I can see it happening in real life, actually.

Sometimes we just get a feeling that there's something good that can come out of doing something that could get us accused of being insane veeeery easily. At least Iceburg could always fall back on his head injury as his excuse. Being a shipwright, though, he probably has a sense for these things, and that's the reason he heard the "plea for help" despite having no previous connection with it.

And boy, was he lucky to have gotten out of there before that wave hit. Wouldn't have been good if Iceburg actually lost his life trying to get that ship afloat! Oh well, at least the boat said thanks.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/4231/08vo7.jpg
Way to calm down the boat, Luffy.

8. A Viking's Burial. One thing I did know about Eiichiro Oda is he's always had a great fondness for vikings, part of the reason why he wanted to do a pirate manga. He probably did have this in mind all along, just so that he could draw a doomed ship being burned at sea...!

Merry Go, as shown in this chapter, was a very smallish ship, also. Just compare it with the one the Gallery-La shipwrights had. So, I think that Oda did a good job in showing that the Strawhat Pirates could probably benefit from having a bigger ship at some point, especially if he planned on having a few more people join his crew. The changing of ships will probably make the fans feel better later on. But that doesn't really diminish the solemn farewell here, though.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/2020/09lm2.jpg
Cue the sad music...!

9. Remembrance. Okay, I'll admit it, I think Oda made the scenes a little too sappy at some points (just how many times are we going to have to watch Luffy, Chopper, Usopp, Nami, and now apparently, Franky cry in the series?)

But I did find some scenes really nicely drawn. Especially the Sanji bit. Where he's just looking at the ship with a little frustration on his face, remembering the adventures he thought he'd have on it. Then we see him in shadow, standing next to that rabbit. I think that was actually the best emotional part of the whole manga. I know people will probably disagree with me on this, though.

But Usopp's crying I already expected, even after his brave speech of saying that was no place for tears in men's farewell (complete bull, by the way.)

Although Zoro's and Robin's silence and refusal to cry over the ship's death, even though they also probably had some feelings of uneasiness over watching it being sunken to the depths, reminded me of why I liked them so much, though. It's not that they aren't as bothered as everybody else, but somebody on the crew sure as heck needs to be able to handle their own emotions. They're both obviously strong people, and they're able to be level-headed at the right times and not add any fuel to the fire. I tend to like these type of characters the best.

As for the "snow," nice touch, but I've seen it before. (Zabuza's and Haku's death, anybody?) Heh. The viking's funeral would have just been as effective without that little touch, instead, I think it just added to the overall feeling of sappiness for me. :/

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/8914/finmt2.jpg
Bye, Merry.

10. A True Nakama. Although I thought the scene of a "talking ship" while it was engulfed in fire and was dying was a bit too much for me, I can appreciate the whole point of the dialogue. The ship did not believe that its crew had treated it badly. It did not demand their attention, it did not wish for anything more but to travel with them. For that reason it was a true friend to them, and it was happy.

I tend to think friends and families who believe that as long as they have each other, nothing else matters, are the ones with the most rich lives. So Merry Go, it would seem, went down believing that it had "lived" well.

But at the same time, I don't think I was very emotionally charged by the scene at all. Maybe it's because I knew Luffy and his crew would move on, and probably get another ship. I used to read this TSR/DC American comic called "Forgotten Realms," where the crew had a flying ship called the "Realms Master," and when the series was eventually cancelled, they gave their ship a similar funeral as well. I really liked that comic, so I was really emotional over that last issue, because I knew that was truly the end. This, in comparison, was nothing compared to that. So, I guess I'm just experienced with this sort of thing or something. ;)

But my point is, there'll be more OP stories, so Merry Go's passing didn't really affect me all that much.

RATING: 4 out of 5 stars. While a bit sappy in some parts, still a touching chapter nevertheless. As far as story developments go, this would certainly seem to be a turning point, and Oda deserves a lot of credit for deciding to go into a little bit of a different direction.

Predictions: We'll probably see Franky officially decide to join Luffy's crew and make sure that their next ship, whenever they get one, will be well taken care of.

Credits: Harrmd and pocketmofo deserves all the credit this time around.

Looking forward to seeing what you think!

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/9330/fin2my2.jpg
See that little hamster there...?
It's hungry for some comments!!! Feed him!! XD

venicia777
October 11, 2006, 12:09 AM
awesome!!! first to post. Nice comments. i thought this was a chapter worthy of GK's comments. anyways- will come complete this soon. ***runs to the office bathroom***

goofy_man
October 11, 2006, 12:41 AM
Wait....where the f**k did that hamster come from? Kinda random if you ask me....

Well, the Going Merry has finally moved on...so to speak....now I'm curious as to what the Going Merry Mk. II will look like....the only thing guaranteed is that figurehead will look like the old Merry's figurehead....

I have to say that the Sanji shot was very touching....along everyone else bawling and crying--mostly everybody, that is. Good reviews here, GK!

As for the poll....I kinda want to see Crocodile or Lucci return. Still debating which one I want to see more...will vote when I answer that question.

Gold Knight
October 11, 2006, 12:54 AM
Just realized I forgot to include Arlong in the poll. Oops. Added.

venicia777
October 11, 2006, 12:55 AM
oh yeah!! i am back.

1) i am an enel fan- and pretty much love the fact that oda is doing this mini story about him. i just wish he comes back again. if he comes back though i am betting on the fact that oda of all people wont make the mistake of rehashing similar fight scenes from before. both the SH's and Enel should have become stronger and will probably have better moves- having fought already.

now though i am wondering- does anyone even live on the moon in this world? I always thought Enel was heading to the earth below- though :p

2)Luffy surely looked like he was the most dense protagonist i have seen in all my years with anime/manga- he sitill couldnt tell that soge was ussopp. chopper- an animal and a doctor who can use his nose- still couldnt tell the difference- more shocking :imslow :imslow

but i was glad that Luffy was hoping Usopp was not there to see Merry's burial. and admitted he was wrong too- although it was shortlived.

will continue this later.

goofy_man
October 11, 2006, 01:09 AM
Actually, now that you mention it....I do want to see Arlong make a return. I mean, the guy had some serious prejudice and opinions on humans. Until a human handed his ass to him on a platter. Be interesting to see how Arlong is coping with the fact that he and his crew LOST to a group of humans.

white silver
October 11, 2006, 01:25 AM
[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Gosh this chapter brought tears to my eyes like no other "movie/comic/book/cartoon, etc" I was surprised that you weren't that emotional over merry's farewell.

*Note: You should check out the one piece 430 discussion and you'll see what I mean*

Gold Knight
October 11, 2006, 01:59 AM
Like I said there at the end, I think I'm probably just less sad because I know unlike that other series I read, this one will continue. Plus, I never really thought about Merry Go much at all. It was just a ship to me. At least, I thought, it was up until this point. I thought it was great that Oda included its "death" as a dramatic point especially concerning Luffy and Usopp, but aside from that, I didn't really think much about it.

Venicia, good point about it being strange that Chopper couldn't tell Usopp from Sogeking, given his animal attributes! :imslow

Goofy, good thing I remembered Arlong just in time, huh. But I wonder if he's actually even still alive. Luffy sure gave him a beating back there.

Btw if anybody wondered, I voted for Kuro. I loved him when he first appeared and would actually love to see him return, seeking revenge.

bakashijinsan
October 11, 2006, 03:13 AM
oh yeah!! i am back.
2)Luffy surely looked like he was the most dense protagonist i have seen in all my years with anime/manga- he sitill couldnt tell that soge was ussopp. chopper- an animal and a doctor who can use his nose- still couldnt tell the difference- more shocking :imslow :imslow

i think you can blame chopper's non-recognition of ussop as sogeking on his ignorance of the world and his extreme gullibility. perhaps, at some point he does smell ussop in sogeking but since his brain was fixed that sogeking was a superhero from another island, he created an illusion inside him that sogeking is INDEED a different person.

white silver
October 11, 2006, 03:20 AM
[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]I chose Crocodile. I'd really love to see his face when Luffi messes him up again!

Luckas
October 11, 2006, 04:39 AM
Great comments as always Gk.

2) I like that aspect of Luffy, it's very funny.

3) I was sure you was and only some heard Merry's voice.

4) And the new ship? I wonder if they'll find it soon or it will be the next arc.

6) It's also my sentiment.

7) Interesting comment.

8) Viking, I didn't thought of that. Are you sure you didn't know a lot about One Piece?

9) The snow was unepected but I liked it.

10) Another very good point.

bax
October 11, 2006, 05:06 AM
Been busy aren't you GK? Oh yes, before I start, I chose Buggy in the poll. Well, Buggy is harder to kill than a cockroach. We may see the circus again very soon :p

1. Moonstruck Part III. Or "Enel's Great Space Adventure," I guess, as Oda's calling it now. Looks like this will be our current mini-storyarc for a while.

Heed what I said in your commen last week. This week's Chapter's mini arc we'll see rabbits. Yup, rabbits on the moon. I'm really betting on it.

2. Usopp's Mysterious Disappearance...! Heh, so we see the return of Sogeking sooner than expected. Ugh, I agree with Sanji and Zoro, though, for Luffy to STILL not have realized that Sogeking was Usopp (as well as Chopper), they are something dense!

How mysterious.. Usopp disappering again. I can imagine Luffy's reactions after this when Usopp suddenly appearing before him and gone again. What is exactly wrong with Luffy :p

But note that Kokoro didn't hear it. Or at least seemed like she didn't.

It all has to do with emotions. I don't think that there are any other ships that has made apperance in OP that has the emotional connection with it's crew. Merry has been all the time with SH. Be it, waves, storms, snow, explosions and even flying. If I am GM, I'll be proud myself.

4. The Return of Iceburg. Well, so that was how Oda solved the problem of having Luffy continue his adventures without having to go back to Water Seven. By having his crew meet Iceburg's Galley-La Company ship in the seas. Guess it was good timing, though, as Merry Go was about to give up the ghost, as we saw shortly afterwards.

Hmm... In this scene, Iceburg does look like a big pirate himself. Good timing for him, yes. At least, he does not shows up in front of the Marines which may cause him a big trouble afterwards. But a little too late since the SH has took all the glory of bringing down the CP9 for the first time in history.

6. A Captain's Distress...! How quickly we forget, eh? Of course, I'll cut Luffy some slack since he did just survive a tough battle with the CP9 and just barely got out of Enies Lobby and away from the navy, mostly thanks to Merry Go's timely arrival.

Despite what ever Luffy said when they arrived at Water7, Luffy really love GM. He's so passionate about GM. Despite his happy-go-lucky attitude, he's a serious captain. If I really live in the OP world, I'll laugh at him when he said he's gonna be the Pirate King. But after this scene, I guess, I should give him my gratitude. He showed everyone what a Captain should be like. Honest decision and being so passionate to his dream.

7. A Ship's Plea for Help. Now we know that no ship spirit was behind the temporary repairs of Merry Go after all, but none else but Iceburg. Must've felt pretty silly while he was trying to fix a ship as badly broken as that all along, but I can see it happening in real life, actually.

No more to comment on this. Like Iceburg said, it's a miracle. Merry really shares the dream and will of the SH. That brings me to conclude that SH really does change GM. On it's maiden voyage, who would have thought that this small caravel has a big heart and huge adventures waiting for it.

8. A Viking's Burial. One thing I did know about Eiichiro Oda is he's always had a great fondness for vikings, part of the reason why he wanted to do a pirate manga. He probably did have this in mind all along, just so that he could draw a doomed ship being burned at sea...!

A fitting end to GM's life. A warrior has finally been put to rest. What can we say more? GM has really proved itself.

9. Remembrance. Okay, I'll admit it, I think Oda made the scenes a little too sappy at some points (just how many times are we going to have to watch Luffy, Chopper, Usopp, Nami, and now apparently, Franky cry in the series?)

Ok, this is perhaps the saddest thing I ever read in comic books. Like I said before, if there is an award for The Saddest Scene In Manga, this scene is the winner. Every heart was touched by this scene. Sad..

[/quote]
10. A True Nakama. Although I thought the scene of a "talking ship" while it was engulfed in fire and was dying was a bit too much for me, I can appreciate the whole point of the dialogue. The ship did not believe that its crew had treated it badly. It did not demand their attention, it did not wish for anything more but to travel with them. For that reason it was a true friend to them, and it was happy.
[/quote]

A true Nakama indeed. At the very end of it's life, GM still wishes to continue sailing. I guess, GM is the winner in this Chapter. I bet in the anime, there will be a special episode, a tribute to GM.

So, very sad Chapter indeed. Oda managed to pull it off big time. He made GM appeared out of nowhere just to give it a perfect burial. I would give this Chapter a 5. It has been too long since I read a manga this sad. Oda really shifted our evaluation on OP from comedy-action to a very emotional scene.

In the next Chapter, we'll get to see the newship is put into plan. No more action for a while. And also the deal with the widely-speculated Franky as the new crew member. Should I say two new crew member? Usopp is no longer a crew, but Sogeking is. And I hope, we'll see some scene about the Marines as well. It's time for Aokiji to answer why the he "made" the BC.

goofy_man
October 11, 2006, 11:02 PM
Goofy, good thing I remembered Arlong just in time, huh. But I wonder if he's actually even still alive. Luffy sure gave him a beating back there.
And that he was slammed down several floors of his HQ, then had that very building collapse on top of him.....but, remember....this is shounen series, therefore nobody dies (well, most of the characters don't die. I think a few filler characters--like Nelson Royale and Erik--did die, but Arlong....not too sure he's dead)

Anyhew, as for Comment #7, I like your little blurb....lol
Iceburg must either be thinking, "Okay, my head is way more injured that I thought..." or "That's the last time I smoke pot before going out in a storm...." :XD

Speaking of your poll, we seem to be the lone votes for Kuro and Arlong (respectively).....interesting.

renrutal
October 12, 2006, 12:37 AM
I have a feeling we will eventually see Buggy again, this as sure as the sun will shine tomorrow.

Kuro, Don Krieg, Crocodile and Enel are pretty much finished; Kuro and Krieg are very minor characters now.

About Lucci, we never knew much about him, and he still one of the least developed villains in One Piece. As weird as it might sound, for me, their fight is not finished yet. It didn't have a gran~finishing move we always expect from Luffy, Jet Bazuka didn't cut it.

Now Arlong, I'm really expecting a surprise comeback from that shark-man, along with the Shichibukai Jimbei. Perhaps in a Shichibukai arc, or Fish-man Island arc.

CeZ ®
October 12, 2006, 12:50 AM
Voted for Crocodile, though I dislike the idea or recycling older enemies... Naruto anime fillers' stuff :P

And GK, this is the second time I'm reading your Ten Comments Thread! Interesting opinions.

As a major OP fan, I'd like to say that this is a new beggining for the SH-crew, and can't wait to see the next person to join the crew! (Franky is already in it, lol)

P.S.: How much time does creating this thread take?

Gold Knight
October 12, 2006, 04:49 PM
LoL, Enel had no votes last I checked this thread, and now he has six.

@ CeaSaRR

A while. It can take from a hour to a few hours, it really depends on whether I liked the chapter or not. Ever since I started using images though, I spend some time over thinking which ones I want to use too, though. So I'd say on average around three hours. This is without doing other things at the same time, too...

But I don't mind, I usually like it take it slow on Comments (although I try, of course, to get it out for you guys as soon as possible - tough act to juggle eh? ;) )

CeZ ®
October 12, 2006, 05:01 PM
:offtopic Who would be the person with more posts here in MH? You GK?

Three hours? That's so much time spend on just one post...... Nocantdo for me :/ nuh-uh :P
Entertaining the public is a rough job, ha?

And Crocie has 5, w00t!

gigantor21
October 13, 2006, 04:33 PM
As always, bang up job on the review, GK. You always manage to point stuff out that I miss completely...

Just for the record, though, I vehemently disagree with your notion that the scene at the end was too sappy. It seemed equivalent to burying a friend, to me, as Merry Go has been a silent but prevalent member of the crew for almost the entire series up to this point. I would've been much more suprised had Oda tried to downplay the scene--not to mention mad, as well. I think that he handled it perfectly.

Gold Knight
October 13, 2006, 05:26 PM
As always, bang up job on the review, GK. You always manage to point stuff out that I miss completely...

Just for the record, though, I vehemently disagree with your notion that the scene at the end was too sappy. It seemed equivalent to burying a friend, to me, as Merry Go has been a silent but prevalent member of the crew for almost the entire series up to this point. I would've been much more suprised had Oda tried to downplay the scene--not to mention mad, as well. I think that he handled it perfectly.

I never really had any attachment to Merry Go, so for that reason I think Oda overdid it, but that's just my opinion. ;)

(It'd probably be better if a more diehard OP fan would be doing these Ten Comments. *hint Hermie hint* )

white silver
October 14, 2006, 12:32 AM
I never really had any attachment to Merry Go

[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Me too, but as soon as I saw the "burning" scene, mysteriously the saddest anime soundtrack just popped into my head as I read each frame, and no matter how hard I try my tears just kept falling!

bakashijinsan
October 14, 2006, 11:15 AM
[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Me too, but as soon as I saw the "burning" scene, mysteriously the saddest anime soundtrack just popped into my head as I read each frame, and no matter how hard I try my tears just kept falling!

Oda just brings out the emotion of the reader with his work.

and yeah me too! couldn't stop the tears. it's like i was one of them.