PDA

View Full Version : Misc Attempt Newbie looking for advice

cyn_starchaser
August 09, 2009, 05:29 AM
I'm currently scanlating Saint Seiya Episode G, which isn't at all the type of mostly B&W manga you see in the usual cleaning tutorial. I was wondering if I could get a few tips from you guys on what might still be improved?

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/nyx_g/vol01/ch04/010409.jpg
http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/nyx_g/vol01/ch04/010404.jpg

Thanks in advance! :amuse

DelGrecco
August 17, 2009, 12:38 AM
Your work looks good and clean. It looks like you're using only Wild Words as your font. My advice would be to try to change things up a little font-wise to differentiate between the type of captions you normally find in a manga. So you might experiment with different fonts in narration boxes, jagged voice bubbles, internal thoughts, etc. Once you find fonts you like for those instances then try to be consistent in their use, if you look at a lot of different groups many of them have their own styles.

Along the same lines you can also play around with different sizes and making some things bold to add emphasis. If I'm on the fence about something I will often look at the original Japanese text to see if the mangaka changed the size or bolded certain portions and then follow along. You did a nice job with this in your second example, but could have probably also done something similar in your first example with the "Yeah!" and "Galan!!!"

Keep up the good work!

Hope this helps :)

cyn_starchaser
August 19, 2009, 01:55 AM
I'm using two fonts, Anime Ace and Impact, but since the text on the second example was something the big guy was saying, I used the "dialogue font". Anyway, thanks for the advice - I'll be sure to experiment a bit more. ^^

[Ju-Ni]Vicissitude
August 19, 2009, 11:38 AM
When it comes to typesetting, I try to get a few fonts together that catch the feel of the fonts being used in the manga, if not resemble it exactly. WildWords for text, Umberto for certain thicker text, Grunge for screaming, Arial for clipped and formal text. That kind of thing. Play around for a font that looks like it fits the situation.

cyn_starchaser
August 30, 2009, 05:56 AM
I'm not really a fan of using too many different font types; I find it more distracting than helpful most of the time... but that's just a personal preference. Thank you very much for the tip anyway. ;)