PDA

View Full Version : Review LoneLobo's One Piece Review: Chapter 554

LoneLobo
August 20, 2009, 01:28 PM
Welcome! Although it is damn hot right now here (35°C, around 95.0°F) I pulled myself together to deliver you a review for this awesome chapter! =) Thank you all for your comments, as long as there is an interested readership (and I got the time), there will be reviews made by me. Typical advice for new readers: I’m not a native speaker of English. If I make any stupid grammar/spelling whatever mistakes, feel free to comment on that. I’m able to improve. So let’s get started on the chapter…

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/2412/opreview554.gif

Cover Story

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/3740/13573848.jpg

After a very nice Color Page we are back to Chopper this week. Oda stays in his tradition of making two-part stories and we see that Chopper somehow managed to escape. Now the humans (or Mr. Potatoheads ;)) and birds are fighting against each other and Chopper hides himself. What will be the outcome of this “war”? I think Chopper will help the birds and humans to reach a status of understanding so that they can co-exist in the future. And the bird one this coverpage can fly Chopper to another island or even back to Shabondy.
The title of this chapter is “Admiral Akainu”, so we will finally see Akainu’s face and ability, right? Let’s take a look and jump right into it!

Page 01-04 Mythical Beast Phoenix

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/982/0203b.jpghttp://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8560/50911.jpg

We pick up where we stopped two weeks ago, Marco faces Kizaru and is somehow able survive being shot by a laser. Many assumed that Marco ate the Phoenix Fruit, while others thought that a phoenix is not a real animal and that therefore no phoenix devil fruit exists. Well, the later half was wrong, now it is confirmed that he ate it. But we got more interesting information from Kizaru. First, this type of devil fruit is even scarcer than logia. Second, it is a “mythical beast” zoan fruit. Back in chapter 509 an ancient type (or beast) zoan fruit was revealed with the T-Rex. So there are basically 3 types of Zoan Fruits right now. 1st. “normal” fruits, 2nd. “ancient beasts”, 3rd. “mythical beast”. Right now I cannot think of any more possible types, but this opens a lot of new possibilities. Mythical beasts… can you think of one mythical beast you would like to see in One Piece? Drop me a comment ;) This also leads to the question if there are any special paramecia fruits out there. But let’s continue with Marco.
He flies towards Kizaru and takes his attacks head on. However, remember that he is a zoan. He is solid but with his phoenix power he regenerates himself right away. When he reaches him he kicks him down to ground. Kicking a logia? This sure is interesting and has nothing to do with his fruit I think. Logia aren’t supposed to be solid, so how is he able to do it? 90% of the readership will now scream “Haki!” and well, I suppose in a way I think so too. It’s just a possibility, in the end it can be something totally different.
Kizaru stands unharmed and gives orders to the giant squad. The giant squad exists of seven giants and everyone wields a different weapon. The giant on the right has a canon (or something like that) on his right arm and he looks really stupid. The next one uses a club and looks pretty normal, but after that we got a giant with an axe and a mask. Man, masks are really “in” these days… The next wields a sword and looks normal; the female (!) giant uses a spear. The last two use hand-to-hand combat and a weapon I cannot identify right now. But what is this? Joz seems to be up to something.

Page 05-06 Admiral Akainu

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/5517/0607a.jpghttp://img26.imageshack.us/img26/4403/19417.jpg

Joz throws a freaking iceberg towards the giants (now we see that there are actually 8 giants!). Well, that is some superhuman strength. We saw Zoro (chapter 194) throwing a house, but an iceberg is something totally different from that. The giants are probably not able to defeat themselves against this thing. So Akainu stands up but doesn’t leave his place, so that he can defeat it in the future. And we see his whole face! I was a bit disappointed by his design back in chapter 550, but after seeing it at a whole… I really like it! He looks so badass. And he got an interesting power too. His right arm turns into some kind of mini volcano and when he’s about to erupt he…

Page 07-10 Admiral Akainu Part II

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/1903/0809m.jpghttp://img3.imageshack.us/img3/1125/1011dey.jpg

…throws this mini volcano as his fist against the iceberg and just evaporates it. Holy Crap! It looks like a burning gear third fist! But that’s not all! His hand dissolves and now it rains volcanic projectiles onto the ground. Awesome! What do we learn from this? He is a logia (turning his right arm into the “element”) and something like a “Magma/Vulcanic Man”. This frightening power does a lot of damage and Whitebeard loses the first ship in the bay. The Moby Dick however is protected by Whitebeard and just stabs one volcanic rock with his spear. This is the only time his smiling stops, but then it is back again. Akainu seems to be disappointed but points out that he just wanted to light up Whitebeards funeral. He sure is confident in himself. However, I think he will not leave his place like Kizaru and Aokiji. Speaking of Aokiji, I think it is time for his return, don’t you think? He was just broken in two, what the hell is he doing right now?

Page 11-12 Commanders versus Marines

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/4957/1213rgx.jpg

The commanders and other pirates keep pushing forward and we see two of them in combat (one female is seen too, but just in the background). The one in the panel above seems pretty normal, only his burning sword is extraordinary. In the panel below that we see something more interesting. The pirate pulls a huge hammer out of a pocket sewn on his body and slams marines with it. I think it’s fair to assume that he ate a devils fruit, but I really like this idea. It’s not an epic power like being a quakeman, but this power is just crazy. And I like crazy stuff. =P Although the commanders are pushing forward, they are being owned in the panel at the bottom.

Page 13-14 Oars Junior appears

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1885/14152.jpghttp://img3.imageshack.us/img3/8414/5531011.jpg

The last double spread! And a new character makes his appearance. I never thought of that, but Oz Junior (or, following the official Romanization: Oars Junior) is on his way to save Ace. Like his father he is bigger than any other giant. It also seems that he destroyed one of the battle ships. Nice! It’s funny how Oda introduced this character all of a sudden. Judging from what I can make out he also wears the three skulls and looks pretty much like the Oars we know. But hey, he wears clothes. So he will probably not freeze to death like his dad. ;)
The Vice Admirals stand in his way and now we get a look at their backs. Nothing special, just backs… but what is this? Remember the ugly guy in chapter 553 with the swords? Well, now we see his back and it pretty much looks like a zoan ability, I bet on spider. Big ass, eight arms. Spider. I’m confident it is a spider zoan. =)
But there’s more! The Shichibukai prepare for battle! At least Kuma, Moria and Flamingo. In the background are Hawkeye and Hancock, and they look relaxed. I doubt that Boa will even fight seriously if she has to. I got more to say, but let’s save that for the prediction part, which starts now.

Conclusion and Predictions

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/8578/1415cga.jpg

So, another chapter with lot’s of double spreads. Well, with just double spreads. I like them, but after two short chapters with so many double spreads it would be nice to have a “normal” chapter with 20 pages. What do you think?
To sum it up, we saw Marco’s ability, Akainu plus his ability, Whitebeards smiling, Oars Junior. Not that much, but pretty interesting stuff. I enjoyed this chapter!
And now to the predictions! We will see a bit Shichibukai fighting, the Vice Admirals against Oars Junior and maybe one panel with Luffy. I doubt he will get to Marine HQ next chapter, I think the chapter after next is more realistic. Boa will not fight him when he appears but will try to help him somehow. Aokiji has to be there somewhere, so he will join the fight again. And Flamingo is definitely up to something, he will do something next chapter.

I hope you all enjoyed reading my review, have a nice day ;)
LoneLobo

Credits: All pictures from chapter 554 taken from Sukikim Scans.
The picture from chapter 194 is from an unknown source.
The picture from chapter 509 is from Franky House.
The picture from chapter 553 is from a raw by Blai, translated by StrikerTP and edited by SODEQ05.

LordZet
August 20, 2009, 02:15 PM
I don';t think luffy will fight he's just outmatched big time. If he does he'll fight smoker probably.

AllezFlex
August 20, 2009, 07:40 PM
Great review. Loved the flash back's pictures.

jung_dalglish
August 20, 2009, 07:53 PM
It'd be great to see the dragon zoan, of course :)
But I wonder who will have it, perhaps one of the 4 emperors.

Nice review as always.

Raysen_ht
August 20, 2009, 08:33 PM
Great review!! I liked the links you made with past chapters in the photos!!
Plus you took my "Mr. potatoheads" idea hehehe :p

On the Mystic Zoan, i would like to see a Hidra (you know? that beast that gets more heads each time you cut one) and a Chymera(Head of a Lion, body of a Horse, and a huge Serpent for tail. Breath poison, Claws stronger than steel, the PANIC roar, invulnerable to fire/ice, has 3 separate hearts/lifes)... maybe a Dragon too.

About the paramatia, i dont think there is a "Special" kind, simply because anything that its not a Zoan or a Logia, is paramatia... So if there is a fruit that turn you into God, or another that turn your blood into Gelly, they would both be paramatia...

Do you think that the Flame sword that pirate is using Has something to do with devil fruit powers?

Who do you think has the advantage in this war at this point (with what we have seen so far, and with what we know about the players)?

Great job

Xman
August 20, 2009, 08:51 PM
Nice review o.o!

I liked the 8 giants and the spider vice admiral .. I missed that one

About the pirate that pulls a huge hammer out of his neck or w/e, we could assume it's a devil fruit, but again, the "mafia" guy one of the super novas "forgot his name atm" had a devil fruit that makes things get smaller once it goes inside his body.

another look at hammer guy, the neck-mouth looks like a face .. i would say its acutely 2 guys on 1 body or something..
[hr]

Who do you think has the advantage in this war at this point (with what we have seen so far, and with what we know about the players)?

I would go and say the marines so far, IF the Shichibukai assist the marines...
In the other hand, we still have another ship filled with mad people, that could do a great assist in this war...
again, still u can't one of them would win at this week's chapter status.

jung_dalglish
August 21, 2009, 01:39 PM
I think in the current situation, marine is more advantage.
But my logic is not complicated, so it could be easily flawed ;p.

IMO, marco + jozu vs. Kizaru + Aokiji, are equal.

and,

all remaining WB commanders + new world captains should be equally matched to Vice Admirals + all skilled mariners (e.g. Giants, Smoker, Hina), I may be wrong at this formula anyway.

Now the remaining is just
WB alone vs. Shichibukai + Sengoku + Garp + Akainu.

This is what I mean that the current situation, WB is at his disadvantage.
Nevertheless, when Luffy and co. arrives, the formula will change since

Luffy + Sir Croc + Jinbei + Okama queen + Boa Hancock can be matched
with Marine's shichibukai + Garp (perhaps).

After that, something around
WB vs. Sengoku &
Ace vs. Akainu,
makes sense to me.

Finally, supposing that the two forces are equal, I think the key person
is Black Beard, he can make a difference.

Xman
August 21, 2009, 04:48 PM
Well, I thought something the other day.. there is another totally different force ...
Dragon's Army >.>

You think he would do something in this fight o.o?

Lord Rayleigh
August 22, 2009, 06:45 AM
The fact that Dragon wants to change the government does not mean the pirates are his friends. Dragon probably wants to destroy the government because of the void century. But his policy towards pirates should be like the WG's : pirates are not allowed in the world government's territory because they are a threat to citizen, security etc ... And that's normal.
So, he will let the both sides destroy each other.

Raysen_ht
August 22, 2009, 07:36 AM
The fact that Dragon wants to change the government does not mean the pirates are his friends. Dragon probably wants to destroy the government because of the void century. But his policy towards pirates should be like the WG's : pirates are not allowed in the world government's territory because they are a threat to citizen, security etc ... And that's normal.
So, he will let the both sides destroy each other.

Well... When he saved Luffi from smoker in Logue Town he said something like this... "A pirate, thats great!!". So he thinks of pirates in a better way than he thinks of the governament!
I'm 90% sure that the revolutionares will take part in this war! Its a once in a lifetime oportunity to take out the WG (their greatest and most hated enemy)... they wont let this opportunity slip by.

So to answear my own question about who has the advantage in this war:
WB has the advantage completely imo... in fact, i cant even see a way for the WG to win. Here is why:

WB is the strongest off all, so anyone fighting him 1 x 1 is bound to loose

His division commanders are MEGA strong! Marco is admiral level and Josu seems preety close to it... the others we dont know, but im sure they are plenty strong

The NW capitains will keep the VA busy, and they also seem strong! Oars Jr. is amazing (we all saw how strong Oz was in TB)

Reylegh will SURELY fight to protect Roger's son!! And he is Admiral level

There seems to be some kind of traitor/spy inside the Marine Headquarters and he opened the gate for Luffi... who knows what else he might do

Luffi (Strong) is bringing Jimbei (Uber strong), Iva(Mega strong), The black and white dude (strong) and Croc (Uber strong). I know that Croc wants to fight against WB, but Iva said that he can keep him under control. besides, Croc is not stupid... if he sees that the WG is going to loose, he will help destroy them, and have his fight with WB latter...

Boa will betray the governament and fight for Luffy! Her strenght was even aknowleged by Sengoku

Kuma has his own agenda... he might betray the WG too (I know this one is a longshot, but he did save the SH... twice, and against governament orders). He is one of the strongest Shishi

BB is not there to fight agins WB forces... he might have made a diference in this war, if he had stayed. We dont know what his plan is though... it may be the thing that put the odds agaisnt WB, but it doesnt seem like he wants to help the WG.

As i said before, Dragon and the Revolutinares must try to use this oportunity to destroy their worst enemy!! just think about it... the execution of Ace was anounced a few days ago. Everybody knew that WB would go to war against the WG for that. Dragon had plenty of time to come up with a plan, and to gather his strongest fighters. The Revolutionares are a whole Army!! it will be like attacking the Marines with another force as big (even if its not as strong, its surely super strong) as the one WB brought.

There is another Yonkou who is not doing anything at the moment (Shanks and Kaidou are fighting...) and he/she might try to use this opportunity to destroy the loosing side of the WG x WB war

Thats it...

Lord Rayleigh
August 22, 2009, 07:50 AM
Well... When he saved Luffi from smoker in Logue Town he said something like this... "A pirate, thats great!!". So he thinks of pirates in a better way than he thinks of the governament!
Yes, but that phrase (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/440/10/) about Luffy living how he wants, is still mysterious.
And you can think pirate is a good life as a free man but not allow piracy in your territory. That means let the citizen that want to be pirates go away but not allow them to pillage/fight/travel in the kingdom.

I'm 90% sure that the revolutionares will take part in this war! Its a once in a lifetime oportunity to take out the WG (their greatest and most hated enemy)... they wont let this opportunity slip by.
I was answering to Xman who asked if they were going to act in THIS fight that is happening right now. It is obviously no. But it is sure that the revolutionnaries will make their moves against the WG and the marines. Besides, they already attacked the place where Robin is.

Raysen_ht
August 22, 2009, 08:25 AM
Yes, not allow the pirates to pillage/fight/travel in the kingdom. But thats secondary to the primary goal of destroying the WG... even if they have to temporarely ally themselfs with pirates to do it...

And I was talking about THIS war when i said that the Revolutionares will attack the marines... why do you think "It is obviously no"?? for me it is obviously yes!! this is the greatest opportunity they have to destroy the WG!! Why not use it??
Did you even read the rest of my post?? I made that point preety clear...

Lord Rayleigh
August 22, 2009, 08:44 AM
I do not expect the revolutionnaries to come while the WB side and the marines are still fighting. The best strategy is to attack the MHQ after this battle is finished.
Why would Dragon put his army in this fight ? Neither the marines, neither the WB side are his allies. Coming would probably result for the revolutionnaries to fight the MHQ and the WB sides and thus the revolutionnaries would lose men to kill people that are already killing themselves ... The best is to wait that the number of ennemies reduces by letting the ennemies fight together. And after, you can go if you want to. Thus, you will lose less men and your probability of victory increases a lot.

Personally, I do not think that the revolutionnaries will appear in MHQ. They will probably come there but later.
They will fight but elsewhere. Marijoa, where the WG is, seems better as the marine could not be there to help/protect them.

Raysen_ht
August 22, 2009, 08:58 AM
I created a thread for this discussion, since we are not discussing the review anymore...
http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1527806#post1527806

But do you honestly think that WB forces would attack the revolutionares if they came to destroy the WG?! As i said before, this is their primary goal! And "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". So Dragon should put his army in this fight, cause the more strong people attacking the MH together the better... its less likely to loose man if they have such strong "temporary allies" (such as the force WB brought) by your side!

jung_dalglish
August 22, 2009, 10:23 AM
If Rayleigh does come, perhaps, Garp vs. Rayleigh & Sengoku vs. WB should be my big interesting fights (fights between legendaries).

LoneLobo
August 26, 2009, 08:11 AM
So, a short comment on your replies ;)

Plus you took my "Mr. potatoheads" idea hehehe
Well, it fit's^^

About the paramatia, i dont think there is a "Special" kind, simply because anything that its not a Zoan or a Logia, is paramatia... So if there is a fruit that turn you into God, or another that turn your blood into Gelly, they would both be paramatia...
I thought a while about it, and.. it makes sense. Every fruit which isn't Logia or Zoan is a paramatia.

Do you think that the Flame sword that pirate is using Has something to do with devil fruit powers?

It could be a fruit, but the flame fruit it already taken. I think it's a nice "special effect" with some gasoline (or so) on the sword.
The advantage in the war... that's a hard question. To answer it for sure we have to wait a while longer, but right now I think Whitebeard is in a better position. However, the shichibukai haven't done anything yet, so this could change next chapter or after that.

The answers to the mythical zoans will be part of my next review =)