PDA

View Full Version : Review Gold Knight's Ten Comments (Naruto 327)

Gold Knight
October 12, 2006, 10:43 PM
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1142/00ayk0.jpg
Shocked? In Disbelief? Read on!

Here you go, my thoughts on Naruto 327. Sorry about taking all day, but you'll have to excuse me for not getting it out sooner. There were some other things I wanted to do before finishing my review. Sleep being one. Very important. ;)

Thanks to Pinoypride and Winterlion for getting their translations out this morning when there was nobody else around. And of course, to all the translations that came afterwards, and Fnuckale and Yume for their very nice effort at cleaning and typesetting the LQ RAW, which I'm using for this week's edition.

For the second week in a row, we have a Naruto chapter with a lot of action and little else, but there were still some interesting revelations. Hope you enjoy and feel free to give your own input on anything. Thanks for all your support.

* * * Gold Knight's Ten Comments on Naruto Chapter 327: Within Despair...! * * *

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/785/01mf2.jpg
Not having a very good day.

1. No Chance. Well, I might just be stating the obvious here, but it's pretty apparent now just why Yugito and Chiriku had so much trouble with Hidan, despite all their powers and fame. There was absolutely no way for Asuma here to break the voodoo spell by himself - except, I believe, by disrupting the pentagram.

Disturbing scene to see the blood freely flowing down under Asuma's jacket as strong evidence that he did get injured by Hidan's "suicidal attack." And the look of hopelessness on Asuma's face as blood also gushed out of his mouth as well. Not a pleasant sight for Asuma's fans at all, I have to admit.

But at the same time, if I may act as the devil's advocate for a minute here - this scene was absolutely needed for story purposes to show just how terrible the Akatsuki can be.

Sure, Hidan and Kakuzu could have killed Kotetsu and Izumo instead. But so what? Nobody knows 'em that well. Asuma, on the other hand - next to Kakashi, he's widely recognized as being one of the best shinobi Konohagakure has to offer. So for him to go down here to Hidan, I believe, does legitimatize the menace of the Akatsuki organization.

This definitely raises the tension and intensity of the series from now on, even if Asuma may not be as fatally injured as we were led to believe he would be here. Just the sight of him with his life in their hands was enough...!

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/5861/02hb5.jpg
Uh-oh, that's some bad water...

2. What Next, Black Cats? I had to laugh when we got yet another scene of a character having a bad premonition here. Remember all these broken teacups at the beginning of Part 2? Tsunade winning the lottery? And even earlier than that, the big ol' crack appearing on Old Sandaime's face on the mountains.

And then all the foreshadowing concerning Asuma's possible demise before this mission even got started.

Kishimoto seems to have a thing for foreboding portents. How often does one even look at a flower closely enough to notice that the petal fell right off the stalk as if cut at the neck? Guess Kurenai really takes her gardening seriously.

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7127/03ar2.jpg
Ahhh, I'm flying, I'm flying!

3. Ecstasy. Hm, not only does Hidan resemble a psychotic murderer, but he also acts like your typical hopeless pothead out on the streets! The deaths of Hidan's opponents seems to almost make him high while he's within that pentagram - see him shaking? - and he almost seems to be stoned from feeling whatever the pain of others has become to him. Pretty creepy.

At the same time, though, the seemingly masochistic jutsu may be why Hidan's immortal.

Reminds me a bit of Shishio, an antagonist in the manga Rurouni Kenshin, who went by the twisted philosophy that "the flesh of the weak is the food of the strong." Hidan's voodoo jutsu may allow the deaths of others to become, to Hidan, almost like medicine that would cure all his injuries as a result, even though he's inflicting the same wounds on himself. As a result of that possible transfiguration, Hidan may actually be able to survive any injury in any skirmish for a while... unless he hasn't killed anybody in a while, or to put it more specifically, sacrificed them.

Guess we won't find out until we see Hidan again, though. But more than ever now, I have to wonder about Hidan's hidden village. Was it a jutsu he picked up from others in his clan, or just something he developed on his own? I still believe that he may have destroyed his people and used them all as sacrifices. And that would be why Hidan's so dangerous now...

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/2517/04ea8.jpg
I'M GONNA HEADBUTT YOU TO DEATH!

4. Shikamaru's Outrage. I don't blame him for being pissed here. I wouldn't want to lose to these two guys either, after all these taunts and curses - especially from Hidan. But seeing Hidan do that to Asuma - ugh. I'd have been mad too if he had done that to Kakashi.

But at the same time, when was the last time we actually saw Shikamaru as angry as that before? He's always been calm and composed, even during the Pursuit of Sasuke arc. He's had his emotional moments, sure, such as when he cried while he made a vow to be flawless from now on.

But never has he been this mad before, to the point where he would toss all caution aside and just charge into the fray like a madman. Pretty Naruto-like. In a way, it's cool - since Shikamaru had always been so laid-back - to see the kid finally show that kind of passion and respect for his sensei.

Guess all these games of playing shogi, as well as being sensei and student, may have bonded the two more strongly than any of us may have realized.

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/3415/05ik1.jpg
Killin' two birds with one weird-ass jutsu!

5. Get Outta My Face, Kid! Not much to say here, except that we saw how strong Kakuzu was, that he could force Izumo off the ground with a disengaged hand, and effortlessly fling him at Shikamaru without even letting go of the throat. Ouch.

I wonder if he would be able to use his inner threads as a sort of multi-whip. Would also be appropriate considering he probably always has to whip Hidan into doing something...! Heh.

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/7937/06fd0.jpg
Make my day, punk.

6. The Cavalry Arrives...! Okay, that was very cool. I didn't expect reinforcements to come this soon, but guess they came faster than Izumo expected. Well, I had hoped that it would consist of other jounin. Got my wish there, although not the exact jounin I thought they might have been. But good to see Raidou again nevertheless.

And I actually think Raidou may be more popular after this one, 'cause seeing that steely gaze of his appear amidst all the crows flying around as he was preparing to strike Kakuzu with his black blade - that was majorly cool.

But where did all the birds come from...? Boy, was I ever surprised to find out...

:aobadoorhttp://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1021/06bfm5.jpg:aobadoor
ZOMG, It's Aoba!

I did take a double-look when the jounin revealed to be the one having summoned all these crows - or shadow crow bunshins - was none other but Yamashiro Aoba!

I didn't expect Kishimoto to have brought Aoba back in such a fashion, either. As any Narutard will tell you, Aoba's best known for having been the one to accidentally tell Sasuke that Itachi had visited Konohagakure. (http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/8985/naruto14411iu8.jpg) (He did have another scene in the anime where he did a Katon: Gōkakyū no Jutsu just like Sasuke did, but that wasn't in the manga.)

And also, at Naruto Forums, when I used to be a moderator there, I noticed that Aoba was often (sometimes jokingly, sometimes not) blamed by members for being the cause of everything bad that ever happened in the series!

In any case, I was glad to see Aoba finally in a heroic effort here, although some diehard fans may still think of it as an even worse premonition than the falling flower petals. Heh!

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/7086/07yh9.jpg
Chouji to the Rescue!

7. Team 10 Reunited! That scene of seeing Chouji lifting Asuma off the ground was pretty a powerful one to me. Very nicely drawn, with all the birds still flapping around. Of course, it ALSO struck me as, well... a very mournful sight.

Hopefully Kishimoto's still just teasing us and all, though.

As for Ino also being there, I'm sure that excited a lot of her fanboys but eh, she didn't do much of anything. Good to see Team 10 all together again, though.

Now, why the heck were they all there? Why did they accompany Raidou and Aoba? The only thing I can think of is that Asuma's team must have sent out their messages to the people they knew best, because they knew where they would be, that they would be available. That would have made for more speed than an attempt to contact one of the other searching teams which could be anywhere for all they knew.

Which might mean that Kotetsu and Izumo might have known Raidou and Aoba personally, too... well, since Raidou also worked directly for the Hokage, that made sense that Kotetsu and Izumo would know him well.

But Aoba? Hmmm. Oh well, just speculation but...

Crackhead Theory of the Week: Could it be possible that Aoba used to be on the same three-man team as Asuma when they were younger? They ARE the same age, thirty years old, so this might be possible... We've never seen Asuma and Aoba have any real conversations, but then again, we've barely seen the jounins. Genma is another guy who's also thirty years old now, too. Oh well, just throwing it out there for fun. ^^

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7192/08py3.jpg
Ohhh, some CPR from Ino...? I'm there!

8. Still Alive...! Okay, so Asuma's still breathing... surprisingly. Looks like Hidan didn't strike a vital point, maybe?

Too bad a medical ninja didn't come along, though. Shizune must have decided to take the day off...! I'm not sure carrying him to a hospital will be fast enough in time to be of any good, although I suppose Neji did get saved just in time. Guess it's better than nothing. At least Ino seems to have learned some medical ninjutsu. Hmm. Probably not as good as Sakura, though, but makes sense that a girl who would be around so many flowers on a daily basis would know something of it. She probably has some herbs on hand, too.

Still, they're on the outskirts of Konaha, right? They'll have to move quickly to get back to their village.

I'll be expecting a scene with Kurenai in Asuma's hospital room at some point, too. I also believe that this will trigger a mission for Team 7, too. We'll see.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/8568/09abc9.jpg http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/4884/09bmo0.jpg http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/6811/09ctc8.jpg
Don't be so tongue-tied...

9. Get Over Here! Ohh. Nice scene here of the Akatsuki Leader telepathically telling Hidan and Kakuzu to get moving. The cityscape definitely has me thinking of the Cloud Country, mostly because all these machinations on the gigantic statue and the buildings around look like they would be puffing out steam.

In case you guys don't know, one of my earliest Crackhead Theories was that the Akatsuki Leader was one of the higher-ups of Kumogakure, the Hidden Village of Cloud. Hence the cloud designs on their dark cloaks.

Heh, and Hidan and Kakuzu were all ready to fight on, too. I'd love to see Shikamaru have a rematch with them both, though, at some point. But made perfect sense why the Akatsuki Leader would call them right now. We had just seen Tobi and Deidara defeat Sanbi a while ago, and would definitely have been weird if they hadn't all been there to take care of the beast when they had to do such a long ritual for Gaara. I wonder what happened to Yugito, as well... perhaps Raidou and Aoba will chase after them, and in the process be able to save her?

Will Hidan even leave? Doesn't he usually demand to chant at the end of every battle to his "god?" And he's usually lying on his pentagram, as well - was that just a pointless ceremony? Hm...

And if he's going to leave, then he's leaving his forehead protector and pendant, it seems. They may be able to do some research with these and find out what his hidden village was all about.

Sidenote: I already mentioned this in the Discussion thread. I don't know about y'all, but for me, the sight of the Akatsuki Leader sitting on a gigantic tongue certainly seemed disturbing!!! O_O Ah, well. Guess Kishimoto was having a little fun there... and it didn't take away from the ominious atmosphere any. XD

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2466/fintk2.jpg
No Kidding...

10. The Akatsuki Leader...?! After seeing him smirk here, I'm getting a strong feeling right now that we'll be seeing him appear very soon, within the next five chapters at least. That'll be awesome.

We did get a glimpse of part of his face here, at least. He obviously wasn't a hologram here. And I'm assuming it IS the Akatsuki Leader, because he spoke with authority, and his hair had that tell-tale outline on the previous page. So what's up with the "beads" (?) on his nose? I always assumed that Kishimoto would probably do something with his face since he's hidden it for so long, and looks like that's going to be the case. He might be very weird-looking for all we know...

And I already think he's going to be quite a character. He seems to be the only one in the whole Akatsuki organization that's able to deal with everybody else and easily order them all around, and that's quite an accomplishment. And he seems to have a twisted sense of humor, too, at times.

RATING: 4 out of 5 stars. Although Asuma's defeat was sobering, like I said, it was necessary to raise the stakes for the rest of the storyarc. I liked the rescue operation and the glimpse we got of the Akatsuki Leader. That all raised the excitement quite a bit. The only thing missing was perhaps Kishimoto may have overdid it with Shikamaru's reaction and used that to drag out the chapter a little bit. Also, I was somewhat disappointed that we didn't get to see any more from Kakuzu, but at least we know that they were definitely tough enough to take down Asuma, even with help.

Predictions: Probably will see Asuma in the hospital next chapter, and Kurenai fretting. I think Raidou and Aoba will be trying to chase down the duo. Kakashi or Yamato will probably learn of the news at some point. I think Tsunade will probably call Naruto for another mission.

Credits: Fnuckale and Yume did a great job with what was a very poor LQ Raw. Thanks to all the translators here, too.

Hope you enjoyed, and looking forward to seeing what you think!

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8563/fin2wa9.jpg
What is this, an Alfred Hitchcock movie!??
Comment! XD

glasskatana
October 12, 2006, 10:45 PM
You have no idea how long I've been waiting for this. I've been camping here since I saw that you were in this section. :ninja

Will comment more later.

Gold Knight
October 12, 2006, 10:49 PM
Really sorry about the delay... heh. I should've put myself on invisible. >.<

white silver
October 12, 2006, 11:01 PM
[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]The comments were fine! Man, now I'm beginning to fear the Akatsuki leader more than I already have. To speak with such authortiy to Kakuzu and the ever rebellious Hidan, that's really quite surprising.

glasskatana
October 12, 2006, 11:11 PM
Really sorry about the delay... heh. I should've put myself on invisible. >.<

NO! It was good, I got to look forward to something...wait, you can put yourself on invisible???

Anywho, it's comment time. First, I loved Asuma's death scene look. Though, I think it would have been better if he had been standing up and then fallen. Actually, wasn't he lower on the ground when Hidan stabbed himself, how did he get in that upright position? However he did it, it sure looked good.

I've had enough of corny omens. That's all I have to say on that.

I forgot who, but I think someone mentioned that Hidan looked like he was having...sexual pleasure. I think his face is more like someone who has been addicted to heroine and has been trying to get off of it, but just had another shot.

As for Raidou/Aoba entrance. That's gotta be the coolest entrance ever. I wish Naruto was that cool. :crying I wish Naruto had a black sword...or any weapon. When does Naruto get his chance to shine. :yelling

um...(his name is chouji, not choujo, right? Sorry, just had to point that out.) :p
I had no idea that Ino could do some medical ninjutsu!

Now, AL seems very good at jutsu that have to do with the mind. Transferring Itachi and Kisame's minds to those Sand ninja. Telepathy. Actually, he just seems to be really good at ninjutsu.

Good job. I'd have given this chapter a 4.5 out of 5. :amuse

La_Muerte
October 12, 2006, 11:24 PM
great comments as always (just wondering why you put down Choujo 2 times instead of Chouji) i liked the page where the akatsuki leader is standing on that big statue, it shows kishimotos ability of making a good surrounding background, reminds me of the manga Akira how it was really detailed in the environment, noting that kishimoto said in an interview that he got inspired by Akira

CupofDice
October 12, 2006, 11:50 PM
1. Yeah, Asuma's art has been top notch. I don't remember any character looking so grim. He pretty much looks dead. Wonder what is going on in his mind (if anything at all).

2. Yeah, I did not see that at all (the flower cut at the neck). Nice one.

4. I love the shadows under his eyes and the way he falls is cooler than when Naruto was trying to see Sasuke.

6. I somewhat thought of ravens being introduced as some type of jutsu (remember Elektra and the tattoos flowing off that guy's skin). So when I first saw this, I thought Raidou could turn into ravens and back, but it was cool the way it was. When I first saw Aoba, I forget he wore glasses, and thought those were his eyes. That was what freaked me out most in this chapter. Sort of Batmanish now that I think about it. With the crows. Pretty cool. Also seems like Kakuza (according to wiki at least) may know Raidou since he mentioned that black sword as if something special. Wonder if Raidou works for him (which may explain why he didn't hit his heart?), or maybe he was the one who did that to his face.

7. Yeah, Chouji looked so grown up there. More than anyone else in his nin age group so far. Almost like this unbreakable statue. I was with you on the disappointment in Ino, but it seems like she may know a bit of med ninjutsu, so that keeps me happy.

9. That statue reminds me of the one (one of the ones :smile-big) in Gantz. Someone in these forums mentioned that lamp underneath AL hit with kunai being seen before. Maybe you can expand on that. Should be interesting if it means anything.

10. Once again when I first saw AL, I thought of Spitfire from Air Gear (I LOVE that manga) though looking at spit, they don't look so much alike. Definitely a cyberpunk scene (like Air Gear which rocks of course :smile-big). I wonder if Kishi's art style is changing a bit (like Tito's). Then again probably not. I also just noticed the nose rings. I thought everyone was talking about his nose shadow. Another nice touch.

Gold Knight
October 13, 2006, 12:03 AM
great comments as always (just wondering why you put down Choujo 2 times instead of Chouji)

Ugh, going to edit - I was getting tired around that point, heh. Thanks for catching that.

shlowbro
October 13, 2006, 12:08 AM
"7. Yeah, Chouji looked so grown up there. More than anyone else in his nin age group so far. Almost like this unbreakable statue. I was with you on the disappointment in Ino, but it seems like she may know a bit of med ninjutsu, so that keeps me happy."

forget chouji, did you see ino????!!!! :D

sao
October 13, 2006, 03:17 AM
for some weird reason this whole chapter felt very matrix like. THe black crows flying all around and suddenly raidou appears in a black coat with sunglasses. And the scene with the leader sitting on the tongue felt like he was sitting with a sentinel. I'm weird :P

Gold Knight
October 13, 2006, 03:22 AM
for some weird reason this whole chapter felt very matrix like. THe black crows flying all around and suddenly raidou appears in a black coat with sunglasses. And the scene with the leader sitting on the tongue felt like he was sitting with a sentinel. I'm weird :P

Actually Raidou didn't have sunglasses, that was Aoba, and he's always had them. But yeah, the tongue thing... >.>

Raine_Joybringer
October 13, 2006, 04:17 AM
D: I'm drowning from all the symbolism in this chapter, seriously. *insert fangirl wailings about not wanting Asuma-sensei to die*

I did enjoy the chapter, though I was a little... well, disappointed with Shikamaru tripping over... it seems so soon after seeing Naruto do it to be using it again. :/

I was glad to see some ninja we haven't seen in a little while- I quite like Raidou. I had never thought about Aoba's role in the whole thing though. I'd almost completely forgotten about him! ^_^;

And I only just noticed those things on Leader-san's nose. What the? Are they like piercings, or are they tattoos? o_o How... very puzzling.

Oh! Also... I think having Ino and Chouji appear on the scene makes me wonder if because of this encounter, it'll start on the road to having the rest of the old rookies find out about Naruto and the Kyuubi. Because it seems slowly that each team from that time is getting some kind of encounter with Akatsuki members. The only ones left now are Kurenai's team...

Gold Knight
October 13, 2006, 04:32 AM
I did enjoy the chapter, though I was a little... well, disappointed with Shikamaru tripping over... it seems so soon after seeing Naruto do it to be using it again. :/

Hadn't thought about that, actually. XD I guess that wasn't too long ago was it. I didn't really relate the two though, and thought it was actually kind of funny that Shikamaru almost seemed to trip over his own shadow. Betrayed by his own jutsu!

I was glad to see some ninja we haven't seen in a little while- I quite like Raidou. I had never thought about Aoba's role in the whole thing though. I'd almost completely forgotten about him! ^_^;

Yeah, I hope to see more of everybody in Konohagakuare besides the Rookie Nine and Gai's team now.

And I only just noticed those things on Leader-san's nose. What the? Are they like piercings, or are they tattoos? o_o How... very puzzling.

You got me. Kinda reminds me of Mayan facepaint/decorations though. Hmm.

Oh! Also... I think having Ino and Chouji appear on the scene makes me wonder if because of this encounter, it'll start on the road to having the rest of the old rookies find out about Naruto and the Kyuubi. Because it seems slowly that each team from that time is getting some kind of encounter with Akatsuki members. The only ones left now are Kurenai's team...

I think it's possibly just setting up a mission where Team 7 and Shikamaru will team up, actually. And further romantic developments between Asuma and Kurenai, assuming our favorite bearded jounin doesn't die (which I doubt). Kishimoto did say he wanted more romance in Part 2.

But I'm sure we'll be seeing Hinata discover the truth about Naruto at some point. I wonder how she'll take it. Eh, she probably already knows, too.

Luckas
October 13, 2006, 05:23 AM
Great comments as always, GK.

1) It's incredible how much you can "extract" from a simple image. Very good analysis.

2) I'm getting the impression Kishimoto is losing himself in the last chapters, before the disappointment for the very obvious way to disrupt Hidan jutsu and now these repetitive foreshadowing, I have a bad feeling.

3) Interesting theory, I think it makes sense: sacrificing other gaining in exchange life or healing of his wounds

4) I understand that Shikamaru's behaviour is plausible, but I don't liked it.

6) Very good scenes and an ever worst bad sign :XD I rember that scene of Aoba and what I thought imbecile :XD

7) Me too, I think the presence of Ino and Chouji is strange, but I think they ara part of the 20 brigades. (I hope I didn't misunderstand what you were saying)

8) What a surprise :eyeroll

9) Imho, you made 3 good points:
A) Yugito, what happened her?
B) Hidan's very long ritual at the end of his fight, why didn't he need to do it in this fight apparentely?
C) Hidan's objects, will he retrieve them before going away?

10) I'm not so sure the face was of the Akatsuki leader. I think we can think of others possibilities.

Gold Knight
October 13, 2006, 05:34 AM
It's gotta be the Akatsuki leader.

1) The hair is the same.
2) The scene was full of grandeur. That says to me that he's very important.
3) His commanding tone.

Plus we know that the "blue" Akatsuki is more round-headed, with blue long hair (or just blue-headed o.O? ) and some kind of petal on his/her head.

I don't think Ino and Chouji are part of the 20 brigades. If they were, they'd likely have been on the same team as Shikamaru because their techniques work best with each other.

(Too bad Ino wasn't there to fight Hidan as well, in fact - Hidan wouldn't have been able to avoid her mind-body switch technique while he was on that pentagram!)

Thanks for commenting Luckas ^^

Twoshirou
October 13, 2006, 05:44 AM
Great comments as always. :thumbs

Now, why the heck were they all there? Why did they accompany Raidou and Aoba? The only thing I can think of is that Asuma's team must have sent out their messages to the people they knew best, because they knew where they would be, that they would be available. That would have made for more speed than an attempt to contact one of the other searching teams which could be anywhere for all they knew.

Which might mean that Kotetsu and Izumo might have known Raidou and Aoba personally, too... well, since Raidou also worked directly for the Hokage, that made sense that Kotetsu and Izumo would know him well.

But Aoba? Hmmm. Oh well, just speculation but...

I guess the 4 of them are just a team after all. It’s always the way that the Konoha Shinobi are operating in 4-men-teams. Team Asuma would’ve been too weak with 3 inexperienced Chunins therefore Ino and Chouji were replaced with the more experienced Chunins Izumo and Kotetsu and were teamed up with Raidou and Aoba. (Similar to as how Genin teams are formed)

As Izumo called for reinforcements it just happened that Team Raidou was nearby. ;)

10. The Akatsuki Leader...?! After seeing him smirk here, I'm getting a strong feeling right now that we'll be seeing him appear very soon, within the next five chapters at least. That'll be awesome.

Yep, slowly the readers are getting as excited as a bunch of lil’ girls. :gigglebunny

So what's up with the "beads" (?) on his nose?

Kinda reminds me of Mayan facepaint/decorations though. Hmm.

Hard to imagine that someone might have beads there thus I guess these are tattoos or some other kind of facepaint (some people are doing weird things to their bodies though).

However, I’m damn tensely to see his whole appearance.

Predictions: Probably will see Asuma in the hospital next chapter, and Kurenai fretting. I think Raidou and Aoba will be trying to chase down the duo. Kakashi or Yamato will probably learn of the news at some point. I think Tsunade will probably call Naruto for another mission.

Yeah, the next chapter will not have much story nor much action. Though I don’t think that Tsunade will call Naruto for another mission - it’ll be most likely the way that Naruto will beg for one. :p

bax
October 13, 2006, 07:10 AM
1. No Chance. Well, I might just be stating the obvious here, but it's pretty apparent now just why Yugito and Chiriku had so much trouble with Hidan, despite all their powers and fame. There was absolutely no way for Asuma here to break the voodoo spell by himself - except, I believe, by disrupting the pentagram.

This is the second time where Konoha Jounins being really overpowered by Akatsuki. The first time, Asuma was in trouble is when Itachi and Kisame came to Konoha after the Sound/Sand invasion. Despite having the ultimate offensive power of the wind, Asuma is really getting owned from the start by Hidan. Too bad for him. Akatsuki just too powerful and weird for him to handle. I bet he's having a really bad trauma after this like Kakashi got after being casted with Tsukoyomi by Itachi.

2. What Next, Black Cats? I had to laugh when we got yet another scene of a character having a bad premonition here. Remember all these broken teacups at the beginning of Part 2? Tsunade winning the lottery? And even earlier than that, the big ol' crack appearing on Old Sandaime's face on the mountains.

Coming from Asian roots, I'm impressed on how Kishi used the premonition thinking here. I admit that Asian people, a lot of them believe in premonition - I'm excluded ofcourse. Talking about deja vu. It happened again in Naruto. First Tsunade was winning at slot machines, then Temari's glass cracked and now this. I'm not surprised of black cats. In old Malay believes, balck cats are considered the incarnation of the devils or evil spirits.

3. Ecstasy. Hm, not only does Hidan resemble a psychotic murderer, but he also acts like your typical hopeless pothead out on the streets! The deaths of Hidan's opponents seems to almost make him high while he's within that pentagram - see him shaking? - and he almost seems to be stoned from feeling whatever the pain of others has become to him. Pretty creepy.

Talking about self-pleaure. I'm really amused by the looks of Hidan's face. Kadoman thinking pervy stuff about his face too :darn Yeah, you're right, this scene is pretty creepy.

4. Shikamaru's Outrage. I don't blame him for being pissed here. I wouldn't want to lose to these two guys either, after all these taunts and curses - especially from Hidan. But seeing Hidan do that to Asuma - ugh. I'd have been mad too if he had done that to Kakashi.

He has been with Asuma for years. In fact, except than Lee, I would say he is the only one Genin/Chuunin that is really close to his mentor. You can spot them together almost every time. They even had shougi games during free time. This part shows and proves how much Shikamaru loves and respects Asuma. He's charging to save Asuma without considering the two Akatsuki. He really lost of all his cool this time. Sad things do happened Shikamaru. Live with it.

6. The Cavalry Arrives...! Okay, that was very cool. I didn't expect reinforcements to come this soon, but guess they came faster than Izumo expected. Well, I had hoped that it would consist of other jounin. Got my wish there, although not the exact jounin I thought they might have been. But good to see Raidou again nevertheless.

The entrance is really impressive. Really Jounin-like too. Casting Genjutsu and using black swords to take covrer of the illusion crows, pretty good idea. Even Kakuzu didn't noticed that earlier. Perhaps Kishi wants the lesser character to have more important roles. We have saw Izumo and Kotetsu become the focus team already, and now Kishi brought Aoba and Raido along. It won't be too far-fecthed to say Kishi will bring out Genma, Ibiki and Anko next.

8. Still Alive...! Okay, so Asuma's still breathing... surprisingly. Looks like Hidan didn't strike a vital point, maybe?

I have to read that line multiple times. Ino has medical jutsus? Looks like she's not doing nothing in the timeskip after all. Personally, I don't think her medical jutsus are the same set of Sakura. The Yamanaka Family runs a flower shop. I bet Ino's medical jutsus are based on more on herbs and plants. Come on Kishi. Make Ino a poison user already, please.......

Everyone is really hype about this new cahracter. Is he really the Akatsuki leader, no comment. But, as far as it goes, I can live with him being the Akatsuki leader. I have a theory about him. Although it's just out of speculation. Here it is:

Here's my early theory:
At first glance, they look like piercings. But, I don't see any metals or rings on them, so maybe not piercings. Some marks maybe. Just like Kurilim's head in DBZ. This gives me view of he is a Shaolin like ninja. And that statue behind him looks close to Tengu. Plus Tengu is related to Buddhist in Japan.

Ahahh... Another long comment. Seriously I don't mean that. It's just great that you always pointed out something cool :thumbs
My Ratings : 3 or 4 (depending on different views)

Cool comments again GK. I hope we'll see Naruto's training next. I already miss him. I wanna know his progression. Is he still stuck or improved a lot.

yeste
October 13, 2006, 07:59 AM
For the second week in a row, we have a Naruto chapter with a lot of action and little else, but there were still some interesting revelations. Hope you enjoy and feel free to give your own input on anything. Thanks for all your support.

To tell you the truth, I too have waited on this week’s comments with anticipation due to the very interesting chapter!!! I’m sorry to say that it wasn’t the case last week, when the chapter was ruined for me by fake spoiler!!! I don’t know why, but after reading that spoiler, and the chapter afterwards, I just couldn’t connect to the story??? But that’s all gone now, and this week’s chapter was a Bang!!! So, lets get started then :)

This definitely raises the tension and intensity of the series from now on, even if Asuma may not be as fatally injured as we were led to believe he would be here. Just the sight of him with his life in their hands was enough...!

The beginning of a chapter is so great!!! And what I liked about all this is that the action continued from the last page of the previous chapter with the same intensity… You’re right when you say that this was somewhat a needed sight, just to show the level of the story! It definitely worked for me, ‘cause before this I really had some serious doubts about the level of danger wrapped around the Akatsuki organization, and after this battle my opinion has changed a bit!!! ( I’m still not sure why Kishimoto hold Hidans techniques secret until now, maybe because he wanted to show his jutsu as something that is just too powerful ( and bring it up to the level of Itachi’s???????) and using that to show just how powerful the others in the Aka really are!?!! But it backfired, for me anyway, cause I kind of got the impression that all though Hidans jutsu is a monster one, he just didn’t gave enough to think of him as a real powerful shinobi, than rather a shinobi with a monster jutsu, but not that much behind all that!!!)

So, OK, I’ll admit it: these two ARE dangerous!?!! ( this was tough for me to admit :p and I still don’t think of them as that powerful shinobis!!! )
xD

Kishimoto seems to have a thing for foreboding portents. How often does one even look at a flower closely enough to notice that the petal fell right off the stalk as if cut at the neck? Guess Kurenai really takes her gardening seriously.

Yeap, it’s kind of an overkill!!!
Hmmm, and today is Friday the 13th…
I’m just wondering something: This too is used to get the readers more involved into the story, but I don’t think that it has that big of an effect!!! Just curious to see what other people think about this…

He’s a sick sick puppy!!!

I think this was expected, and I’m glad Kishi showed this detail to us!!! Just to show the fact ( once again ) how much shinobi’s of Konoha are connected!!! And I’m glad that they are!!! What I mean by this was expected is the fact that reactions like this one ( for me again! ) are something that is keeping a grasp of reality(!?!!) on this story, and by that it’s making it more and more interesting!!! :p

I wonder if he would be able to use his inner threads as a sort of multi-whip. Would also be appropriate considering he probably always has to whip Hidan into doing something...! Heh.
He,he,he!!! I guess so…

This was definitely something unexpected!!! And very very nice!!! Such a cool jutsu, that even the two Aka members just had to pull back and regroup!!!
I’m always glad to see more characters!!! Yay!!!

I’m kind of wondering something about this craws… They do look great and it’s very interesting jutsu, but I courious about something… After seeing all this here, I remembered how Itachi did something similar (???) when he had Naruto in his genjutsu… I mean why craws??? Beside the fact that they look cool!!! :) Is there something that we’re missing??? Do craws have some special symbolic thing in Japan… Or I’m just imagining… ( also very posibile!)

7. Team 10 Reunited! That scene of seeing Chouji lifting Asuma off the ground was pretty a powerful one to me. Very nicely drawn, with all the birds still flapping around. Of course, it ALSO struck me as, well... a very mournful sight.

This was nice!!! I dunno why I didn’t expect them as an reinforsment??? They are Asuma’s team after all!!! This was something that a lot of us overlooked!!!

I'll be expecting a scene with Kurenai in Asuma's hospital room at some point, too. I also believe that this will trigger a mission for Team 7, too. We'll see.

I chose to comment on this part of the comment 8 instead of the part that is actually the base part because I’m more interested in this… :)

Ah, alright! I’ve seen all the talk about Ino and medical jutsu, and to tell you the truth, I’m not that supriced about all that!! Plus, you explained it nicely GK!!! Nothing to add there!!!

And yes, I do hope that this event will in fact be the trigger for team 7!!! C’mon Naruto, finish up that jutsu already!!! You don’t have to save it for Sasuke, you can use it on Aka members aswell!! Just to try it out, to see if it can really kill them!!! :p

I’ll say this too, and please note that I’m aware of the fact that this is a weird thing to say: It would be nice to see Sai (!???) in action with team 7!!! I mean besided Kakashi, Yamato, Naruto and Sakura!!! Let’s see what he can do now that he’s “changed”!!! ( don’t hate me for this guys!!! :( )

9. Get Over Here! Ohh. Nice scene here of the Akatsuki Leader telepathically telling Hidan and Kakuzu to get moving. The cityscape definitely has me thinking of the Cloud Country, mostly because all these machinations on the gigantic statue and the buildings around look like they would be puffing out steam.

I was sooooooooooo impressed by the way this was drawn ( which I said already lots of times, so sorry for repeating myself )!!! Makes you think all sorts of questiones??? About that place!!! Nice thoughts on this GK!!!

The enthusiasm regarding the appearance of AL ( by the way he already has a nick??? ) struck me!!! I think that the only thing why this appearance isn’t greeted the same way as Sasuke’s appearance is that this wasn’t announced earlier, and came as a big shock to all of us!!!!

For now, I’ll say that I’m really glad that this character was finaly shown!!!

And one more thing: Don’t know why but that last panel, that smirk of his, somehow reminded me of Sasori!!! Don’t know why but I think that he had a similar pose????

Your predictions about the next chapter are probably going to be true GK!!!
Very nice comments!!! I’ve enjoyed them as much as this chapter!!!

Thanks GK!!! See you around…

Luckas
October 13, 2006, 08:02 AM
Coming from Asian roots, I'm impressed on how Kishi used the premonition thinking here. I admit that Asian people, a lot of them believe in premonition - I'm excluded ofcourse. Talking about deja vu. It happened again in Naruto. First Tsunade was winning at slot machines, then Temari's glass cracked and now this. I'm not surprised of black cats. In old Malay believes, balck cats are considered the incarnation of the devils or evil spirits.
Also in western culture black cats are bad omens, for example a superstition is to not cross a road immediateky after a black cat.

The Fourth
October 13, 2006, 09:19 AM
2. Oh no!
Kurenais hair is unkept! Worst omen of all!
3. I hate Hidan :notrust
4. Shikamaru never looked so frightening. I was surprised he acted like Naruto though.
5. Although Kakuzu was holding that Sanbi-weapon with his "things" in ch 326, he did not hold it in this chapter, I think Izumo/Kotetsu (cant tell them apart :p) shouldhave tried to punch him in the face!
6. Cool+Badass=Raidou :oh, Aobas justu reminded me of Itachi
7. Not much to say. I like the crackhead theory :)
8. Surprise surprise.He is alive. I never would have thought of that
9. Akatsuki Leader.In coolness only The Fourth can beat him :smile-big
I say that is a deserted Hidden village !! And the only one lurking there is .. the leader :blink
10. I bet the leader could easily kill all the Akatsuki!!! He is more powerfull, then the foul tempered rabbit :blink

oh and nice ones again GK :)

Metris
October 13, 2006, 09:46 AM
This is the first time I see your 10 comments thread, but you have gotten yourself a faithful reader :)

~Amanda

CheckMate
October 13, 2006, 10:05 AM
I don't think Ino and Chouji are part of the 20 brigades. If they were, they'd likely have been on the same team as Shikamaru because their techniques work best with each other.

I agree that they should stick in their team,as their team work must be much better
But yet i dont think ino & chouji were just in a normal mission, especially with Aoba and Raidou.

Me says they would likely one team of those 20

HisshouBuraiKen
October 13, 2006, 10:34 AM
The leader's tongue-vehicle could be his summon. Some kinda monster kabuki robot.

eni
October 13, 2006, 10:41 AM
First time I'll read your comments. Very nice, I'll read some older as well as soon as I find time for it^^

I'm surprised that you pointed exactly all things out that catched my eye :blink

midnight789
October 13, 2006, 11:09 AM
Great comments (as always :tem) just wanted to give my 10 cents.
I think that Ino, Choji, Aoba, and Raido ARE one of the 4 man teams in the 20 brigades. It would have been rather stupid of the A-team if they had requested reinforcements from Konoha when they've got a bunch of 4 man teams already out looking for akatsuki and are closer >.> Btw nice call on the
Aoba = guy who told sasuke about Itachi. I had totally forgetten about that. Ah well, those crow things were pretty sweet. :p

kadoman
October 13, 2006, 11:32 AM
Fantastic comments, as usual, GK. I enjoyed reading and also as usual, agreed with everything (much nodding from me) except for one thing: I don't think Kishimoto overdid Shika's reaction. It was one of my favourite sequences actually (and that could be because I am a drama queen!). :D

If you read back over the previous chapters, they were really leading up to this strong reaction - we saw plainly through the chess game and his expression and words during that, how deeply devoted he is to Asuma and how well he has come to know him. His comment about Asuma's smoking and his questioning Asuma's mood and behaviour also showed his growing anxiety for him. Later, out in the 'field' so to speak, he was positioned close to Asuma, almost like his right-hand man, again, showing the closeness of their bond. I thought those chapters had a nice build up of tension.

In some ways, the fight was business-as-usual for Shika (in terms of getting on with it) and some of the tension between those two was lost - a kind of false sense of security if you will - until finally, Asuma cops it. And BANG! that tension hits us again, as it hits Shikamaru - the mighty and beloved Asuma has seriously copped it.

To me, it was Shika's reaction (and not necessarily Asuma copping it) that formed a type of climax for this arc and I loved how Kishi showed him fully out of his wits: no strategy, no logic or reason to guide him here, just raw emotion and instinct. He ran at the enemy just as Naruto does and the way he trips over (almost as Naruto would) is showing how human he is and how vulnerable he is - when someone we love is hurt, we abandon reason and become irrational. Asuma meant that much to him. My favourite panel is a teary Shika on the ground, having lost his balance as well as his wits and, for all his knows, his master!

By the way, I also liked the panel with whatshisname with the black sword! That was the ultimate in coolness! :D

ibra87
October 13, 2006, 12:14 PM
Excellent GK, I've been looking forward to reading your comments.

Let's hope we get to see the AL next chapter, but I really doubt it. The scene with the tongue was perfectly normal, I don't know why you guys tend to think of pervert stuff whenever you see stuff like that :O

I also liked seeing the other Ninjas of Konoha, but the guy with the cape looked like a total magician >_> Maybe it's just me.

Right now I miss seeing what happened with Naruto. Did he finish his jutsu yet? Or is he still having difficulties. The normal thing would be that he did finish it, but that would be too fast to do for a technique that even the 4th couldn't do himself.

gigantor21
October 13, 2006, 03:26 PM
Wow, I completely thought that the Akatsuki leader had physically appeared at the fight with that giant head when I first read through it. I guess it just reminded me of the statue they used when taking Shukaku out of Gaara or something. Thanks for clearing that up.

I didn't really see the connection between Shishio's mantra and Hidan's "ritual", somehow, because of what you said yourself--it looked more like he was getting a drug fix off of it. That was the first thing that came to mind after I saw the expression on Hidan's face while he was shaking.

Rampages
October 13, 2006, 03:57 PM
I think Ino and chouji weren't in Asuma's team because its 2 Jounins and 2 Chuunins om every team...that might make some teams unbalanced tough, with strong jounins like Asuma, and weak ones like Raidou.

Gold Knight
October 13, 2006, 06:02 PM
:D Thanks all for commenting. I don't think I can respond to everything in one go though, so if I missed anything, I apologize, but rest assured I did read everybody's posts and enjoyed them all. :)

@ Twoshirou - I guess the propsect of a Raidou-Aoba-Ino-Chouji team doesn't seem that unfathomable when you think about how Tsunade tried to inject experienced veterans in each team (as she obviously did with Asuma's team). But I still think that was a bad move. If Ino had been there with Shikamaru, Hidan would have gone down much faster.

Good point about Naruto probably going to Tsunade to beg for a mission, instead. ;)

@ Bax - Yeah, poor Asuma. And good point about Asuma kinda getting owned by the Akatsuki again. First Itachi and Kisame, and now this. I guess he may want to train a little more (assuming he survives this one). At some point I wouldn't mind seeing Asuma actually kill an Akatsuki - they've caused him enough grief.

LoL about black cats being incarnations of devils. What does that make Yoruichi? A sexy devil? I guess it does. >.>

Yeah, Shikamaru and Asuma probably did spend a lot of time together. Wouldn't be surprised if Asuma even went as far as consider him a son too. Genma, Ibiki and Anko next? That would be great. Awesome idea about Ino being a poison user, btw. That would be fitting since she once threatened a kid that she had poisoned her.

I like your idea of the AL as being like a Shaolin like ninja. That would be cool. Thanks for commenting :)

@ Yeste - Yeah, the spoilers sometimes do ruin the outcome of a chapter for me, too. I don't blame you.

Hidan's jutsu being kept secret was probably because Kishimoto didn't want to overuse it before actually pitting him against any characters of significance to the story. That would have bored the readers. Hidan's jutsu isn't exactly the most exciting one that's ever appeared in the series. All he does is stand and injure himself. As it is, we'll probably have to see it again at some point. Hopefully it will be taken care of much more quickly next time.

I agree with you, I did like seeing some emotion on Shikamaru's face.

Yeah, Itachi did a similar jutsu with crows, although he actually made Naruto think that he had dissolved into the birds and they were all "him". So he had a different twist on it, but guess it's a common Konoha jutsu, maybe?

Good point about AL kind of being a little like Sasori, but I expect him to be a little more dynamic in expression (if not as crazy as Hidan). He's always struck me as somebody with a twisted sense of humor. Thanks for dropping by, again!

@ Fourth - Kakuzu's hands were too far from his body for Izumo and Kotetsu to be able to have a chance at punching him, I thought. Although I DO think Kotetsu should have at least tried to fling his club at him. And why didn't they reach for any kunai and throw 'em at him? I agree, that was kind of weird. It's kind of like Kakuzu's grip was so strong they had to wrap their hands around it to try to keep it from squeezing any further, because otherwise their throats would be crushed...

@ Metris/Amanda - thanks :)

@ you_know_who - I'm coming to agree with that now too. I still say Tsunade should have just kept Team Asuma together though. Maybe she didn't have enough faith in Ino and Chouji.

@ hisshouburaiken - a summon? Hmm... if that's the case, it'd kind of remind me of Alexander from the FF games.

@ eni - thanks for reading! :D

@ midnight - well, I wonder how many of the other rookie 9 are in the 20 brigades. Wouldn't Sakura have been included, too, somewhere, since she is a medical ninja?

@ Kado - Yeah, I know some won't like this, but I think that scene of Shikamaru finally losing his cool, having no strategy to fall back on, shows us that he's human after all. But at the same time it's also a sure sign of him being defeated, so I'm sure he'll feel very embarrassed about that fact afterwards... and yes, Raidou was cool! Like I said, Raidou's popularity will probably go up after this chapter. And that's probably good, because I've always had the impression that Raidou was one of the strongest shinobi in the village - especially since he was almost like Sandaime's right hand.

@ ibra - I think we'll be seeing Naruto very soon, although not his jutsu just yet - and haha about the tongue thing being normal. I didn't think pervy things initially, by the way, just for the record - I just thought it was bizarre. It's later that I thought, oh damn... XD

@ gigantor - I meant that he was actually using the blood of others to revitalize himself, which would probably have fallen in the same thinking as Shishio's mantra. Even if it's not quite the same philosophy that Hidan probably has ( which is "an eye for an eye" I guess.)

@ Rampage - Kotetsu and Izumo are both (special) jounins. And I don't think Raidou is weak.

Rampages
October 13, 2006, 06:28 PM
@ Rampage - Kotetsu and Izumo are both (special) jounins. And I don't think Raidou is weak.

I bet you don't think he's strong either, do you =P ;)

He and Genma lost against the sound 4, plus he was the first one wounded in the invasion of Konoha. And he has a pretty bad scar, that might not be from a birth defect =)

Kotetsu and Izumo are jounins ?! When did they get promoted ?

Noex
October 13, 2006, 06:59 PM
great commets, its always fun to see some of the other nins (MORE AOBA plx!!) and yet again Asuma hold his ground very good against a Akatsuki guy, sure he got help but they are Akatsuki so this was a great chapter and i cant w8 for the next one, i haven´t been this excided of a chapter sence, well too long ago =)

conan
October 13, 2006, 08:04 PM
as good as always GK, you did very well, and as always I have a few points to add myself ;).
I think you took it too far with the aona thing being the source of every problem in naruto, but it was a crack head theory any way, second is that yugito is a jinchuriki and getting the biju out of here and sealing with their sealing jutsu will take three days at least, but the sanbi is a free demon that simply needs sealing up and could be dealt with faster I think, thats all.

good job GK you never seize to amaze me with your analysis.

Sariachan
October 13, 2006, 08:07 PM
Mhh.. I haven't time for 10 comments (I've to sleep), but I want to say a couple of things:
1) I loved Shikamaru's reaction, unlike many of you. It shows a side of him never seen before, and this can only be good from a character developmnet point of view.
2) I loved even more the background in the AL page. Kishimoto should draw more scenes like that, they improve the atmosphear of the manga.
3) I can't understand all this fuss around Aoba... seing more "normal" jutsu is cool and all, but he a really, really, really secondary character...
4) I don't like how Ina was drawn.
5) Hidan is so crazy that I like him.
6) AsumaxKurenai is canon. ^^

Good night!

Gold Knight
October 13, 2006, 08:39 PM
I bet you don't think he's strong either, do you =P ;)

He and Genma lost against the sound 4, plus he was the first one wounded in the invasion of Konoha. And he has a pretty bad scar, that might not be from a birth defect =)

And yet he was seemingly Sandaime's right hand. And you have to admit the sound 4 were nasty. Don't forget they were all at 100% and fighting together against Genma and Raidou. We saw the Sound 4 resting later completely exhausted from having gone to Stage 2, which might've helped Shikamaru's team against them, actually.

Kotetsu and Izumo are jounins ?! When did they get promoted ?

Sorry about that, they're chuunin.

bax
October 14, 2006, 02:08 AM
LoL about black cats being incarnations of devils. What does that make Yoruichi? A sexy devil? I guess it does. >.>

If that the case, I'll meet the devil all day XD

yeste
October 14, 2006, 06:57 AM
Hidan's jutsu isn't exactly the most exciting one that's ever appeared in the series. All he does is stand and injure himself.

:) XD Oh man, when you describe it like that, it’s even worse!!! Nice one GK!!!

And you’re probably right on that about AL and his sense of humor… I dunno why, but it makes sense!!! I mean, I can see how he probably handles members like these two loudmouths. Brutal force, I guess… But you better have a real nice weird sense of humor to avoid mental problems when having to lead a group like this!!! I mean c’mon, just imagine having Orochimaru in a group, and having to listen to all that ego cr…

And using brut force is my guess, ‘cause of that situation we saw with him asking Itachi in a very “nice” way ( to tell all he knows about the Konoha nin’s that are approaching, and give out info on Naruto ).

But, right now, I don’t care, I just wanna see more of that world of clouds(???) and possibly some more people getting hurt! :p

One Eyed Sharingan
October 14, 2006, 11:14 AM

Just wanna clear this thing:
Genma and Raidou "lost" against the sound 4 cuz both of them were already low on chakra (Genma said this in hospital when Tsunade's visiting them), and the sound 4 were in a fit condition. They were low on chakra cuz their team was returning to konoha after a mission.

white silver
October 15, 2006, 01:49 AM
Just wanna clear this thing:
Genma and Raidou "lost" against the sound 4 cuz both of them were already low on chakra (Genma said this in hospital when Tsunade's visiting them), and the sound 4 were in a fit condition. They were low on chakra cuz their team was returning to konoha after a mission.

[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]You can notice the sound four praising them as they left, "so that's Konoha's Jounin for you".

midnight789
October 16, 2006, 10:18 PM
Well, after rereading the chapter again, I'd like to say that that one scene with the AL sitting on that crazy statue is probably one of my favorite artwork in the manga since some of Kishi's earlier stuff.

@ midnight - well, I wonder how many of the other rookie 9 are in the 20 brigades. Wouldn't Sakura have been included, too, somewhere, since she is a medical ninja?

I'm going to guess that all of them are in there but I doubt that every one of the 20 brigades will be shown now that Hidan and Kakuzu have left. Although when they come back, we may get to see some more of 'em. :smile-big As for where Sakura is, I'm not too sure but I'm inclined to think she would be in there somewhere (especially after all her talk about protecting naruto and sasuke, since part 2 has started :noworry). As for where in there she is, I'm not too sure, but there are a couple different ways she could have been incorporated.
Anywho, I wonder how Naruto is doing with his training :)

kadoman
October 17, 2006, 12:37 PM
Well, after rereading the chapter again, I'd like to say that that one scene with the AL sitting on that crazy statue is probably one of my favorite artwork in the manga since some of Kishi's earlier stuff.

Quoted for truth. When I first saw that page I adored it straight away and knew that it's been a long time since I've reacted that way to Kishi's artwork. I still look at it now and find something new. Amaretti's colouring of it is like icing on the cake too, just wonderful. Nice to see Kishi is still pushing his creativity.

Gold Knight
October 18, 2006, 08:00 AM
Quoted for truth. When I first saw that page I adored it straight away and knew that it's been a long time since I've reacted that way to Kishi's artwork. I still look at it now and find something new. Amaretti's colouring of it is like icing on the cake too, just wonderful. Nice to see Kishi is still pushing his creativity.

I don't think Kishimoto ever really lost his creativity or stopped pushing himself. When I first read the Kakashi Gaiden, the artwork was so wonderful ( especially of the backgrounds ) that I couldn't help but think that Kishimoto saves some of his best stuff for certain moments in the series that he's planned out.

It's obvious that Kishimoto had planned all along for the Akatsuki Leader to be a very dramatic yet mysterious figure, and this scene helped heighten the suspense for the fans finding out what he really looks likes. Just a picture of grandeur.

As a mangaka working on a weekly basis, Kishimoto probably has to pace himself so that he doesn't burn himself out, so not every chapter can have mind-bogglingly beautiful landscape/cityscape artwork. I think that's why he's had to stop himself from doing so many detailed covers like he used to. He's saving up his energy for a major epic storyarc, and I think it's finally coming up.

kadoman
October 18, 2006, 12:59 PM
Yeah, I didn't word that clearly; I didn't mean to imply I thought he'd lost his creativity at some point. Just that it's nice he is still being creative and working to be original. What I did mean, was that it's just been a while since I've had a strong reaction to something of his, which is not to say he hasn't produced some nice art recently. But like you say, he must pace himself and save some of the more stupendous stuff for important occasions. So it's been a little while since we've seen something on the level of this week's spread.

glasskatana
October 18, 2006, 06:09 PM
:shifty

I hope you've prepared yourself for the chapter tomorrow. Hopefully it will prove as Comment-worthy as the spoilers let on.

(poor DZ is gonna freak.)

Gold Knight
October 18, 2006, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I didn't word that clearly; I didn't mean to imply I thought he'd lost his creativity at some point. Just that it's nice he is still being creative and working to be original. What I did mean, was that it's just been a while since I've had a strong reaction to something of his, which is not to say he hasn't produced some nice art recently. But like you say, he must pace himself and save some of the more stupendous stuff for important occasions. So it's been a little while since we've seen something on the level of this week's spread.

Gotcha. Yeah, the last time I've reacted to a scene like that was probably when Naruto was saying "I missed this place! Nothing's changed!" in the first chapter of Part II. That was a stunning scene, and even more beautiful when colored:

See for yourself. (http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/1296/narutoch245p0607special2dn2.jpg)

So yeah, you're right, it has pretty much been a while. ^^

:shifty

I hope you've prepared yourself for the chapter tomorrow. Hopefully it will prove as Comment-worthy as the spoilers let on.

(poor DZ is gonna freak.)

Yes, yes... I've seen the spoilers. I already have posted enough that I think people are going to already guess what I'll be saying. XD