bittman
September 08, 2009, 07:06 AM
Bittman Presents: One Piece Reviews
Chapter 556 – Justice Will Prevail!!

Introduction:

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/3584/15reviewstartend.png
That would be your popularity.

Hey Mangahelpers =D

So I’m just as late as ever this week. You won’t believe me but I started this on Friday…and then skipped the weekend. Maybe I’ll be motivated one weekend to actually do this, but it won’t be next week because I’ll be visiting family in the outback (there’s your aussie slang word of the day). Nevertheless, I feel I’m getting better at these review things and my ‘second review’ is coming along better because of it. That said I struggle finding time to write this, so it’s coming along slowly.

Otherwise week was pretty good for me, thanks for asking. It was Father’s day here in Australia on Sunday, my sister lost her grand final and my cousin lost her job in the UK for overhearing some racist comments, so I feel I have things pretty sweet here. That said, I don’t yet have a job in games, its shit cold here (by my insanely sweaty standards) and I haven’t had a girlfriend for years. So maybe it’s not so good.

But that won’t keep me down. Especially with 3 versions of Binktopia scans to choose from. I went with cnet’s reliable translations, since version 3 had some guy who looks like he just found the thesaurus. I used to try write like that too, but there’s only so many times you can write synonyms for sex before you wish you were getting some.

Also, new font this week and LoneLobo also did a review, I was so worried I'd scared the other reviewers off [/blatantlie]. Either way, the more you read the more you know, so do check other reviews out. Who knows, maybe you'll find someone without sarcasm somewhere. BECAUSE THAT'S NOT HERE BUSTER!

Chapter Breakdown:

Fall of a Giant

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/5681/0203reviewcomment1.png
Oars-chan has fainted. Choose next Piratemon? Y/N?

I’m beginning to regret not featuring Nami in short shorts, but next week should be Brooke so that’s ok…unless he has panties…Oh well, technically about another month and then I can compile them and make another review. Man, I plan more reviews than I write. Can’t wait until they invent a computer that downloads my brain. I’ll be able to write reviews and draw smut in the matter of moments.

We kick-off, somewhat where we did last week with Oars stubbornly clinging through horrendous wounds for his friend. Emotional, sure, but really the double is just to reinforce the last chapter. The Shichibukai, who were the ‘hidden’ focus of last chapter are shown with their reactions. Kuma and Mihawk are typically unreadable, Moria lets his masochist tendencies take hold whilst Boa makes an off comment which shows she’s still a bit ignorant, though her island is even more so (since they still believe it’s a monster’s curse, not a Devil Fruit). Ace and some randoms cry out for the lovable hairy giant (*snickers*) whilst Oars’ hand is shown again to fall just short of his friend.

Not much to say about this I haven’t already said, but given that Oda used this double page to show Oars-chan collapse will probably mean he’s alive even though Moria believes he has killed it. We really can’t take Moria’s word; he always underestimates things and overestimates his own power. That and he was under Oars when he used the shadowblade, so he’s probably just a Gecko pancake now.

Absolute Strength

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/9732/0405reviewcomment2.png
Whitebeard’s balls can take out giants!

With Oars down for the count, we cut to our beardiness’s reaction and wrath is the reaction he gives. Barely appearing to make a move, Whitebeard’s Quake devil fruit shatters the battleaxe of the mysterious masked crusader from the Giant Squad who decided a good sneak attack included a lot of shouting. Then again, since when have there been sneak attacks in One Piece? Everyone basically announces what they’re going to do in loud voices or states the obvious for our benefit, but I digress.

Whitebeard takes his pent up rage out on the face of Vice Admiral Lonz, and because it’s different I should spend time on it though most people seemed to ignore this page. Basically, Whitebeard has just shown us a new technique, and because there is a definite lack of cracking in the air and there’s some mysterious ball of energy around his fist we can basically guarantee this is not fruit related. Without trying to hard most people can probably guess that this is an attack using Whitebeard’s haki, though we can’t simply rule out some sort of other technique especially when we have people who can set their leg on fire just by spinning around a lot. For once, I’m actually in the “Whitebeard-just-used-haki” camp, and I would presume Whitebeard does not have the King’s Haki. If there’s one thing we know about Whitebeard it’s that he is both angry and arrogant, so I believe his haki typically comes out when he is enraged moreso than when he has a great will. I would hazard an early guess that he simply uses the energy of his pent up rage and forces it through his fist to create a blast of some description. Don’t want to spend a heap of time on it (oops, already wrote a wall of text) since I expect we’ll get Whitebeard’s Spirit Bomb head-slam explained within the next couple of chapters.

And to finish off this section, the next page has Whitebeard continuing the push past Oars-chan’s body and some old geezer talking about there being lots of Earthquakes. I don’t expect this is any sort of teaser for things that some of you are trying to figure out. You’re probably overestimating Oda, because all this old man is here to show is both how Whitebeard really is a man who has a strong power enough power to take out the world and also showing that this display of Whitebeard’s power is actually rare. I’m of the belief this “rare” aspect will be highlighted more and more since, though Whitebeard is the ‘Strongest man in the world’, it’s not like he just goes around making earthquakes with every battle he enters. Already Whitebeard may be tired, before now we have always seen him hooked up to ventilation (or maybe an advanced marijuana smoking machine?). Whitebeard is well past his prime, we have received hints about this before and I have given a very small mention to his grimaces when he attacks. Some ask why Whitebeard hasn’t already just destroyed the plaza and surroundings and then saved Ace, I think the reason will become evident as the strongest man in the world shows that he is well beyond the man who was once the undeniable owner of that title.

The One Pulling the Strings

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5729/07reviewcomment3.png
You ask what’s so funny? Well an Irishman, an Englishman and an Indian walk into a bar…

We then cut to my new favourite Shichibukai (well as far as build up goes, Hancock is my favourite because of her inherent girly parts) Doflamingo as he laughs blatantly in the face of one of the division commanders as Oars-chan falls. Oh man, did this guy pick a fight with the wrong person, even funnier when you realise that he seems to know what Doflamingo’s power can do as he freaks out for picking a fight moments before his body is turned on his own comrades with brute strength as his ally. Now we’ve seen some pretty powerful Division captains, and though I rate Marco, Ace and Joz as exceptions amongst Whitebeard’s crew, the Division commanders are all still close to the level of those three and most likely all above Luffy’s current level. Yet here we have some random guy named Atmos picking a fight with the school bully and then asking for forgiveness all in the space of two short sentences.

I doubt pretty-in-pink-feathers has an absolute power of control else he’d probably take on a bigger guy, but at the same time his personality might have something to do with that (discussed later). Again his hands seem to indicate puppetry, but then again those fingers don’t really move a lot and he does seem to do a lot of laughing and poses after gaining control. I also doubt, regardless of his power, he has complete control over the body. For example, if he had a Aokoji in his hands, he wouldn’t be able to get him to create ice spikes in the air. That said, he could probably still get a Aokoji to rip off his pants and punch himself in the little Aokoji for an instant K.O.

Absolute Justice

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4001/08reviewcomment4.png
You’re the second most dead guy I’ve seen today.

With Doflamingo fingers Division Commander Atmos from a distance, we have a character making Ussop look like a brave knight of the seas. In what is a very large disappointment to many, we have the obvious stars of the marines fleeing from battle. Yes, predicted future admiral Coby and predicted nobody nothing Helmeppo are putting their Soru-trained legs to great use. All I have to say at first is that I never put any stock in either of their characters to begin with. Sure, Coby was the first friend Luffy made on the seas, and sure Garp is training him, but at best I can’t see him fighting as anything more than an underling to Smoker or Garp personally. Everytime I’ve heard Admiral Coby, I kind of cringe and hope Smoker enters your dreams to bitch slap you.

Coby has always been a coward. Sure, he’s grown. Ussop has grown just as much, if not more, yet he’ll still run from a cute zombie bear in a heartbeat. I am stoically unsurprised by this and if I should be surprised that the pink haired kid who just hit puberty 100 chapters ago is a total coward when compared to the power difference between him and the Whitebeard pirates then please tell me why I should be surprised. The only surprise Coby could possibly deliver to me is actually showing that he’s not gay and at least getting stoned by Hancock.

Helmeppo was also there too…

So Akainu is in the backstreets of this place standing in the way of some other random marine. Whether that’s bad luck for the random marine, or Akainu had some time to fill and wanted to melt some human bodies, we’ll never know. What we do know is that Admiral Sakazuki is no pussy and definitely not a man that’s going to disable you, plant words of fear in your mind and engineer a scenario all to ensure that the legacy of a Giant ex-Vice-Admiral friend finds her place in the world. Heck, if Akainu met Saul and Robin he’d probably melt them down and collect their index fingers to trade in for money. Sure, Akainu is the evil admiral. But he’s basically Super-Lucchi without the unfortunate furry connotations. His absolute justice is a bit dark (like a light shade of black), but at the end of the day he’s fighting for the good of mankind and so that villains no longer exist in this world. If a few thousand babies need to be eaten in the process, he will be the first to put his hand up. For if he really is the ‘Red Dog’, he is both angry and loyal…or an evil communist…

The Nihilist Shichibukai

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/8871/1011reviewcomment5.png
Just ask Ohara…oh wait, you can’t because they LOST! Looooosers~ Can’t ask you anything because you’re all dead~

After Akainu goes all mafia on some fodder marine, we cut back to good old Captain Atmos as he cuts a swathe through his own army. Whilst Doflamingo gives us his biggest smiley yet and some words. But not just any words, interesting words. Marines are often stated as the side of justice, pirates the side of evil and though there is some mixing between the two that is generally how things appear to be. But at the end of the day, as best put in Doflamingo’s words: “Whoever prevails is Justice!!!!” Never a truer word said from a gayer person, because at the end of the day what we are looking at is nothing more than a war. If Germany had won either of the world wars, we would not remember them as the aggressors and the allies as the saviours of the world. Heck, from a more neutral view World War I is Austria’s fault and World War II is the allies fault for impoverishing a once powerful nation. “The winner writes the history books” is a common proverb, and Doflamingo is a firm believer of these shifts in the world.

In fact, the moment I read this I was instantly reminded of Kimbley from Full Metal Alchemist. Both Doflamingo and Kimbley share a particular philosophy which can be best traced to Nihilism. Nihilists are generally those that take a rather neutral stance on the world affairs with the philosophical doctrine suggesting that values do not exist but are rather falsely invented (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism) (thanks Wikipedia). That said, Doflamingo is not your typically neutral Nihilist and takes an assertive role in shaping the world whilst realising that things are screwed in almost all the available holes. In fact, if you look at Doflamingo, everything he basically has a hand in shows off the farce the world is at the moment. A slave trade house under the nose of the marines for those the marines protect is the greatest example of the farce Doflamingo highlights with his work. The more I see this Shichibukai, the more I hope he becomes a villain closer to the final boss whose glasses get smashed by Luffy to reveal the Sharin- *snipes self*

The Counterattack

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/6544/1213reviewcomment6.png
Known to close friends as “Sengoku the Goat-lover”

We cut back to the specifics of the action outside the melee that is the war to find another entrance to the bay forged a hot chick (oh wow, they do exist in this war) who has a ship suited to crashing through Icebergs and something akin to the Union Jack on her flag. No point spending any time on her, she’ll be less memorable than the Tsumergi Guards next chapter.

Instead, we for once find a report being shouted to Sengoku with him suddenly not sweating buckets and cursing things for going wrong. With a message relayed to a few ranking marines (I assume ranking since they’re still alive and have time to look at snails), a funny display of Tsuru’s powers and an acknowledgement by Whitebeard, we see Sengoku for the first time with a calm and determined expression. In fact, since Sengoku’s introduction all he appeared good for was failing to predict Luffy and doing a pretty average job at managing the world’s largest military force against the growing threat of pirates. Yet here he stands in the midst of battle with things looking like they’ve just taken a turn for the worse without so much as a drop of sweat.

Honestly speaking, about fucking time. I’ve been waiting for hundreds of chapters to see some awesome Sengoku work. He has sat at the top of the marines for so long without an action to this manga that many of the readers within mangahelpers have made comments such as “I don’t think Sengoku can actually fight” or “Sengoku is probably weaker than the admirals and definitely Yonkou” or “Who’s Sengoku again?”. Sure, I will admit first that Sengoku may not be a better fighter than the three logia admirals we currently have (though I expect him to be), but his nickname isn’t “Destroyer of Worlds – Sengoku the Buddha”. It’s “Strategist - Sengoku the Buddha”. As I said somewhere else, a Tactician thrives off data which should mean that Whitebeard, quite possibly the longest running pirate of this era, should have enough data to make Sengoku give us a rare smile. If we go back to the last chapter, even Oars-chan’s appearance simply brought the comment of “Oh look, that’s quite the ally”. If I’d seen Oars-chan coming at me, I’d be packing shit even if I had Goku lining him up with a kamehameha. Honestly speaking, I think I just want to see Sengoku do a Light from Death Note with some red evil eyes:

“Just as planned.” ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt4329_W_s0&feature=related )

Also, Tsuru has a fruit. Washing them and hanging them out to dry is a bit of a play on the fact that she’s a bit of an old grandmother-type. Heck, if Sengoku is Papa-marine, then she would most likely be Mama-marine. I could guess some pretty amusing names for the fruit, but I doubt how it will work is not technical. Basically she has the power to treat people like they are nothing but clothes, but the Clothes Clothes fruit is lame, and would be best used for taking clothes off. Of course, she might be able to do that too…oh dear god I just got a horrible mental image of Tsuru taking her clothes –

A Hero’s Confused Heart

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/439/15reviewcomment7.png
Join me, and together we can rule the galaxyNew World as Grandfather and Grandson.

Speaking of wrinkles, the grandfather hero of the marines appears just in case you were wondering where he disappeared to. I knew this moment was coming when I predicted Luffy v Garp, and I’m still predicting it though I’ll explain that in a bit. Garp is quite possibly the kindest marine you are likely the meet, even if he is a little Spartan with his grandson(s) and comrades. With a heart of gold, even Garp was unable to deny the request of Roger to protect his son. It would be impossible to believe Garp had truly raised Ace without feeling parental tendencies to him, and though he never lied to Ace about his heritage he is, in all but blood, Ace’s grandfather.

Though he was angry about Luffy being a pirate, he didn’t really go out of his way to really stop Luffy. His words at first are a bit general as he talks about all the pirates that are attacking and that he feels no pity for them, but feels bad for the families they leave behind who bear no sin. But with the most manly tears shed in this entire series, Garp brings that emotion back to his enemies grandson, and his very own. Man, I’m totally choking up writing this and thinking about poor Garp who simply wanted the two young boys he raised to grow up to be strong marines he could be openly proud of. You begin to think back to Tsuru saying the sin did not rest with him, and wonder how cruel those words sounded as they believe his sin is hiding the existence of Roger’s child whilst he believes his sin is being powerless to stop the execution which must seem like fate to the son of the executed Pirate King.

We also get some of that lovely sweat from Sengoku as Garp mentions this, but it is not because of his conscience but rather that Garp may cause a hitch in his plan. With delicate words of warning by Sengoku, we get another rare Garp moment with him obeying rules, but this time only because he feels he cannot stop what is in motion. Whether this is a hint as to Sengoku’s power, the plan or Garp’s own indecision, we can’t really be sure at the moment. I would like to hope it’s a bit of all the above, but that’s too much for one man to be thinking. Especially a man of the ‘Monkey’ family where brains seem to skip generations.

Greatest Anomaly

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/5961/1617reviewcomment8.png
Titanic would have been more exciting if it flipped into the air like this.

Ok, that was a bit soppy. But it’s my favourite old marine, so SHUT UP! Its ok, we get some beloved Garp broken up by some useless marines who are whispering about the moving up of Ace’s execution time. Some are like “Ok, big whoop-dee-doo-daa. They should have done that in the first place.” And though something like “Hi Whitebeard, how are you? We’ll cut off Ace’s head now, thanks for coming” would have been interesting (and have totally messed up the war), it wasn’t really practical. In fact, moving up the execution time in itself is a bit of a bold move for one major reason. The World Government and marines often make mention to justice, often with justice comes a set of laws and regulations required to follow them. If an execution is scheduled, it is because the law deemed it to be so. Moving up the execution is bold, especially as it somewhat takes away from the rules they set in place for the execution. On the other hand, now that Whitebeard is here they can at least place some blame on him showing up as to moving the execution forward and there would be no real drama. Ace was more than just bait to the marines as he is the blood inheritor of the pirate king. Being able to remove almost all traces of the Pirate’s King era is an enormous display of power by the World Government. If they can truly succeed on both these fronts, suddenly everyone who opposes them will be on the back foot.

However, all of Sengoku’s and Whitebeard’s plans are probably about to go to waste as something appears in the sky. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it’s Super(Luffy)man!!! In an entrance as dramatic as always, Luffy had another idiot use his wink to propel the ship forward in a Thousand Sunny-esque manner, but it appears Iva-san’s powers are a little more than that of 3 barrels of cola. Launched well above the battle, the Justice League appears only to be heading towards certain doom when they land from their five hundred metre drop, except Luffy who is slow on the “I’m rubber” uptake as usual. It is interesting timing by the Jailbreak League, though honestly I expected them to appear when Whitebeard was being pressured rather than looking like they’re winning. That said, Luffy is always the greatest anomaly to plans. Anyone who makes a plan sweats bucket-loads when Luffy inevitably screws it up; even his own crew. I can’t help but think that the timing means that the Jailbreak League will cause a hitch in Sengoku’s plan against Whitebeard. That or Captain Buggy will take out Whitebeard himself and become a Yonkou. And then maybe Luffy will become an okama, and Crocodile will open a flower shop.

Main Chapter Points:
Whitebeard is now a two-trick pony
Doflamingo is a Nihilist (and probably Masochist)
Coby is a wimp, I remain unsurprised
Sengoku moves his bishop to E7
GARP! YOUR MANLY TEARS TOUCH MY HEART!
The Jailbreak League returns! Let the genderswaps begin!

Summary and Rating:

It was a pretty exciting chapter for some as we saw more of Whitebeard’s rage and more of Doflamingo’s smiley face. Chapter gave us a bit of Akainu’s version of Absolute Justice, which was as we predicted from his Ohara actions, whilst Coby disappointed people. Doflamingo is definitely getting a lot of screen time here in fact, but I’m enjoying every second of it since he’s one of the few evil guys in One Piece. With Sengoku’s plan hinted at, I’m looking forward to seeing it come about whilst Garp’s dilemma becomes more apparent to us. And finally the Jailbreak League returned, and though I thought the timing would have been different, their arrival was no less dramatic because of it.

So all in all:

8/10

I honestly felt the chapter was a good solid chapter, but really it was a bit of a setup to Sengoku’s plan where Whitebeard’s attack, Oars falling again and a guy talking about earthquakes on his farm all felt like a bit of Oda-filler so that the last double spread could be the justice league. Still, it was good for what it was, and it did return our protagonist to us so now I can return to jokes about Luffy never forgetting the rubber.

Predictions:

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/3631/onepiecereviewwhitebear.png
A collection of Whitebeard’s grimaces.

Well, my predictions have been pretty good so far, but I haven’t been decisive enough and use “probably” a lot. So time to be decisive!

Next chapter WILL see the Jailbreak League saved, be an interesting place to use something like Gear 3 Gomu Gomu no Fuusen, else maybe Iva will make a big face and counter-wink before they hit. In the next chapter I expect there will be a bit of bandying about from the fallout of the Impel Down breakouts, but ultimately end with Sengoku’s plan taking action which most likely has something to do with the bay Whitebeard is in and the majority of the New World pirates have just broken into. I also predict Luffy v Garp, but probably not in the next chapter since it should be full enough of Luffy bashing in the heads of fodder marines. Maybe not even for a couple of chapters given Sengoku’s plan, but Garp will most likely take the chance to at least save the one grandson who has not yet been caught by beating some sense into him. Otherwise, I also predict Whitebeard will grimace again in the next chapter, Doflamingo will laugh more, Kuma will do a bland face and Coby will ask Iva to be genderswapped and then profess his homosexuality. Wait…is it gay if you want a man if you’re a girl but you were once a man?

Doesn't matter anyway since there's no chapter next week. Guess I'll have to do that second review now. I predict I'll procrastinate on it...

Raysen_ht
September 08, 2009, 08:49 AM
OMG Bittman!! Reading this just made the chapter 10 times better!! Truly awesome!!!

I'm at work right now, so i cant give a proper coment (nor see the pics, cause they are blocked), but i'll come back for sure.

This was AMAZING

Lord Rayleigh
September 08, 2009, 12:50 PM
First of all, your reviews are still and still fantastic. A real thanks for that quality and also for the time you must spend to make them.

Basically, Whitebeard has just shown us a new technique, and because there is a definite lack of cracking in the air and there’s some mysterious ball of energy around his fist we can basically guarantee this is not fruit related. Without trying to hard most people can probably guess that this is an attack using Whitebeard’s haki, though we can’t simply rule out some sort of other technique especially when we have people who can set their leg on fire just by spinning around a lot. For once, I’m actually in the “Whitebeard-just-used-haki” camp, and I would presume Whitebeard does not have the King’s Haki. If there’s one thing we know about Whitebeard it’s that he is both angry and arrogant, so I believe his haki typically comes out when he is enraged moreso than when he has a great will. I would hazard an early guess that he simply uses the energy of his pent up rage and forces it through his fist to create a blast of some description. Don’t want to spend a heap of time on it (oops, already wrote a wall of text) since I expect we’ll get Whitebeard’s Spirit Bomb head-slam explained within the next couple of chapters.
I do not agree. Normally, with a quake - like the one against Ao Kiji for example - you see the air cracking - that must be the epicentre of the quake - and after that the quake spreads into a direction and what I would call vibrations goes through air. But here WB lays his hand on the giant's head. So, I guess he uses his power directly in the giant's head which becomes the epicentre of the quake. That's why you cannot see air craking : the quake happens in the head of the man and not in air, and the giant took the quake attack at its full power. And I guess that bubble you see is just the quake after it went into his head and through his helmet and after it left them. Besides, we can see that what remains of the helmet and also the blood are spreading everywhere, leaving the epicentre of the quake (head).
That's why I will conclude it's totally fruit related.

But at the end of the day, as best put in Doflamingo’s words: “Whoever prevails is Justice!!!!” Never a truer word said from a gayer person, because at the end of the day what we are looking at is nothing more than a war. If Germany had won either of the world wars, we would not remember them as the aggressors and the allies as the saviours of the world. Heck, from a more neutral view World War I is Austria’s fault and World War II is the allies fault for impoverishing a once powerful nation. “The winner writes the history books” is a common proverb, and Doflamingo is a firm believer of these shifts in the world.
I just have an interesting book about a story in a world where the Axis won the WWII : The Man in the High Castle, by Philip K. Dick. So, that's science-fiction.

[...]I knew this moment was coming when I predicted Luffy v Garp, and I’m still predicting it [...]
I do not understand what you mean by Garp vs Luffy : a death match ? Because if that's so, Luffy will have no chance to beat Garp. Knowing that Garp was nearly as strong as the PK, there is no way the current Luffy has a chance against him. We already saw the difference between Rayleigh and Luffy, that must be the same with Garp.
Then, how would Luffy find a way to save Ace and escape the sentence of his grandfather (against whom he cannot win) ?

bittman
September 08, 2009, 05:52 PM
Cheers for both of your positive comments, now *gets out the whip*.

I do not agree. Normally, with a quake - like the one against Ao Kiji for example - you see the air cracking - that must be the epicentre of the quake - and after that the quake spreads into a direction and what I would call vibrations goes through air. But here WB lays his hand on the giant's head. So, I guess he uses his power directly in the giant's head which becomes the epicentre of the quake. That's why you cannot see air craking : the quake happens in the head of the man and not in air, and the giant took the quake attack at its full power. And I guess that bubble you see is just the quake after it went into his head and through his helmet and after it left them. Besides, we can see that what remains of the helmet and also the blood are spreading everywhere, leaving the epicentre of the quake (head).
That's why I will conclude it's totally fruit related.

I will admit, the effect on the giant looks like a direct quake to the body, but the ball of energy I can still not see any way related to a quake fruit. Oda has put some emphasis on showing Whitebeard using a new technique by giving it a very different graphical style. The orb of energy is constant, and if you look at the damage given to the giant it looks like the smallest quake he's done so far.

Reading the page again, you'll notice he quakes the axe and after grabbing the giant's face unleashes a different energy. Thus far, when using the quake fruit, we've seen him slam his fist into the air. If he had slammed his fist into the giant and we'd seen more cracks, I'd be with you. Instead we have a constant ball of energy which was maintained in his hand even after the attack with a sound effect.

I know most people have assumed quake fruit like yourself, I'm not with any of them. Oda would not needlessly create a different graphical style for the same technique. Though I did have another idea which is something like within the orb of energy he has constant earthquakes which do not travel outside it. Anyway, like I said I expect it's a different thing that will get explained.

I just have an interesting book about a story in a world where the Axis won the WWII : The Man in the High Castle, by Philip K. Dick. So, that's science-fiction.

It sounds familiar, I think it might be on my "to read" list along with a hundred other books. Thanks.

I do not understand what you mean by Garp vs Luffy : a death match ? Because if that's so, Luffy will have no chance to beat Garp. Knowing that Garp was nearly as strong as the PK, there is no way the current Luffy has a chance against him. We already saw the difference between Rayleigh and Luffy, that must be the same with Garp.
Then, how would Luffy find a way to save Ace and escape the sentence of his grandfather (against whom he cannot win) ?

I meant to explain this better, but before I knew it I couldn't find an appropriate place in my review.

Basically, we all know Garp is troubled mentally with the impending execution of his foster grandson. With Luffy's arrival, Garp may feel that, though he is powerless to stop Sengoku's plan, he can at least beat some sense into the grandson he still has with the possibility of remaining alive. Luffy, on the other hand, would be enraged Garp tried nothing to help Ace, his brother, and would be able to bring out his unlimited potential.

Sure, Garp was once said to be equal to the Pirate King, and though I can point to where he said he feels like he's gotten weaker whilst throwing cannonballs at Luffy, I believe that any weakness in the battle against Luffy will be primarily due to his troubled heart. Just as I stand by the fact that Moria's loss was due to his insanity, if Garp v Luffy comes about I expect Garp will lose because he is in a troubled mindset. This could lead him to not put his all into the battle, and possibly even affect his supposed use of Haki. Can't have a strong will if you're in two minds over the battle.

That said, it's not like it will be a totally 1 on 1 battle, they are in the middle of a war. People aren't breaking off into boxing rings.

fallou
September 10, 2009, 07:31 AM
Great review, at least as fun as the last one. But I'm pretty sure WB used his gura powers to break that giant's head. And lol about Coby's gayness:D
Though I still expect him to have an Usopp-like reaction in this fight (like "wait what'm'i doing, I need to be a brave marine", then coming back to the batllefield only to get pawned by a WB pirate:amuse). I think seeing Luffy will make Coby feel
shameful of his cowardice...
keep it up anyway, you're funny

Raysen_ht
September 10, 2009, 08:41 AM
Hey!! Back as promised

I have to agree with @Lord Reylegh and @Fallou on the WB atack thing, i believe that the ball of energy is just a different aplication of his Gura powers... imo, this is how he uses it in close range combat...
Still about WB, I agree that he is past his prime, but as i said before, i think Iva will "hormonize" him back to the glory days...

About "pretty-in-pink-feathers". I think he believes that whoever wins is justice, but also, that it doesn´t apply to him. Imo, he considers himself so much above everybody else that whatever he does is justice. He has power, therefore he may rule. Even more than power, he has wits, he is smart, and even if he isnt the stronger (and he knows it) he has such a different aprouch (cant spell that) on things, that he confuses the ones who could stand up to him.

I really cant understand what Akainu was doing on that alley... there is a fucking war going on right at the plaza, and he is (?)hiding(?)... doesnt make sence.... so I´m betting that his position has something to do with Sengoku´s plan.

About Garp... I think the most interesting part of what he said was "if i could have, i would have already". This means that he was seriously considering going against the marines... Can you imagine if Garp and WB do a combo, the awesomeness will be such, that the world will implode!! I would like to see that

Great job man. keep the reviews coming :thumbs

PS: ...A GAY COWARD

Lunatic Scream
September 11, 2009, 10:13 PM
Upon reading this review, there were copious amounts of lulz conveyed. Particularly at the Ohara caption. I'm a bad person like that.

NoLimit89
September 16, 2009, 08:11 PM
Yea, I agree on that Whitebeard made the Giant Vice Marine's head the epicenter of the quake. With that said, I really hope the Giant is dead because seriously, even though Oda never kills off his characters, it just wouldn't make any sense for the giant to live. I mean, what does it say about one piece if the strongest direct attack in the world TO THE HEAD doesn't kill someone?

Naruffy
September 17, 2009, 07:36 AM
Yea, I agree on that Whitebeard made the Giant Vice Marine's head the epicenter of the quake. With that said, I really hope the Giant is dead because seriously, even though Oda never kills off his characters, it just wouldn't make any sense for the giant to live. I mean, what does it say about one piece if the strongest direct attack in the world TO THE HEAD doesn't kill someone?

Well, it doulc be that Whitebeard didn't put all his strength into that attack.

bittman
September 21, 2009, 06:06 AM
Just a brief note that I won't be doing a chapter review this week. I am working from home, but I've got a fair bit on my plate and the weekend was far busier than I thought it would be.

Guess I'll have to do one of those double review things...ugh...

P.S. I can review 557 here for you now:
Jailbreak League arrives, People go =O, Coby gets hard, Luffy makes Crocodile hard, Whitebeard almost moved his feet, Boa doesn't switch sides, Smoker got a whole two panels and Inazuma is probably dead in the crushed ship for all Iva-san seems to care.

beastboy
September 22, 2009, 07:20 AM
hahahahaha

nice mini review... better than much that I know haha

k-dom
October 02, 2009, 01:30 PM
Since you want to stop making review, does it mean you won't make the cover story review you spoke about :(?

Lord Rayleigh
October 03, 2009, 09:00 AM
I wonder what is the blue dragon/fish that appears in the picture of your predictions. What did you put that for ?

bittman
October 06, 2009, 02:10 AM
Grimace (http://images.google.com.au/images?q=mcdonalds%20grimace&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi)

And yeah, sorry about me not being able to review at the moment. One Piece Reviews are actually low on my priority list, though I love doing them I really should be spending my time on other things.

So an extended break for now. I will be back one day...when "one day" is, I have no idea.

Lord Rayleigh
December 28, 2009, 03:12 PM
I have begun to read your old reviews - there're also awesome - and I wonder if you're going to do new reviews in the next weeks.

Black Lagoon
December 28, 2009, 03:47 PM
I have begun to read your old reviews - there're also awesome - and I wonder if you're going to do new reviews in the next weeks.

when I saw a new post in the review section and Bittman Presents I ... I thought he really did it ... and I was like :eek: :omg then :nuts and now now :(

bittman
December 30, 2009, 01:33 AM
Haha, you hope for too much! The amount of time I spend writing these things is not fun, but the sense of accomplishment and seeing people thank me for my work is fun. I'd love to do smaller reviews, but the moment I start typing I inevitably post entire volumes of text.

Perhaps I should take a leaf out of the evolving trend of reviews for other media and, next time I feel I have time to pick up reviews, do a video review of manga. Probably something more akin to Zero Puncutation...but with the week's current manga chapters...

Would give me much needed practice with Photoshop and Premiere Pro...we'll see how I go hey? Won't be at least for another couple of months, tons of other stuff I really need to get done if I'm ever gonna get a job I like.