PDA

View Full Version : LoneLobo's One Piece Review: Chapter 558

LoneLobo
September 25, 2009, 03:57 PM
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/6121/review558.gif

Welcome! After the setup-chapter last week we finally get down to business. Meaning: Luffy talking with Whitebeard, Luffy kicking some ass and lots of "Ace" and "Luffy" screaming. Sound interesting? Well, prepare for an epic chapter.

Page 01 Panty payback part II

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/6857/001dho.jpg

Well, I was kinda wrong. I thought Brook was going to fight them with his sword, but here he sits, writing a melody. The idea of Satan writing a melody isn't exactly new (sorry Oda), but was previously used by other authors as well as by Togashi Yoshihiro in Hunter X Hunter (great manga, too bad it's still on hiatus). However, nice idea Oda. This probably means Brook will update his music fighting skills instead of his swordmanship. Which is a good thing, this way he will be more of a unique character and not just a weak Zoro imitation who constantly wants to see panties. And hey, in the background the guys (!) are showing him their panties... poor Brook, but a funny moment nonetheless.
The chapter title says a lot, we will probably get a chapter focused on the connection between Ace and Luffy. Or will we? Let's find out!

Page 02-03 Luffy and Whitebeard part II

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9609/003xh.jpg

We are back to Luffy and Whitebeard again, although their talk will only last for a few panels. Luffy tells him about "the plan" and then leaves the Moby Dick. Everyone is still surprised by how casually Luffy talks with Whitebeard. Marco also delivers this message, but Whitebeard stays calm. He acknowlidges the stratigic power Sengoku has, but he also appears to be hurt that the other side isn't going to hold to their schedule because of a mere pirate. Poor Whitebeard, but his smile returns again. As well as Kizaru, who is now attacking Luffy with his infamous laser-kick. And the Tenryuubito still seem to be pissed off because of Luffy. Great!

Page 04-05 "someone who looks like a bear"

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/2432/004hh.jpg

Luffy is saved by Iva-san through a Death Wink, and the explosion scares off everyone on the ship. Everyone? Yes, even Buggy lets down his cover for a second. But the rest of the crew is so dumb that they don't even notice it and praise Buggy even more. What will become of him in the end? When Buggy's cover blows, they are going to kill him for sure. Interesting point to notice: Iva-kun considers himself a guardian of Luffy and will not let him die. But there's more: Kuma shoots a laser at Iva-san, which he is barely able to dodge. And then we finally get a glimpse of what Kuma is up to because Iva tells us through his thought some interesting facts: First, Kuma has to uphold a cover. Second, he is an old friend of Ivankov. So, ist Kuma a member of the Revolutionaries? Is he an ally of Iva or do they just know each other from a long time ago? Does Kuma has his own plan? I think he is a member of the Revolutionaries for now, what do you think?
This page also shows us another speech bubble with just ... from Kuma. So, my theory: This is a Pacifista. When I remember correctly Kuma/the Pacifista hasn't talked at all the whole time. And because it is not Kuma, it also fired a laser against Ivankov. Important question: When this is a Pacifista, where is Kuma? My answer: He opened the Gates of Justice for Luffy and is doing his own thing somewhere else. Or he has something to do with Sengoku's plan.

Page 06-07 Return of the Dead

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7818/007xi.jpg

Luffy continues to run towards Ace (remembers me of Oars Junior), without using his Gear techniques, until he runs into Hina. Let me quote from my review of last chapter (557) before I continue: " And Luffy interrupts and kicks Crocodile. Notice again: Luffy in Gear 2nd, but just for this brief moment. Maybe Luffy mastered his Gear 2nd a bit more and can now switch between "normal" mode and Gear 2nd faster, therefore using it longer and more effective." So, when Hina approaches him and uses her power, he uses Gear 2nd to avoid it. There was not much time to react for Luffy, so now I'm really sure that he can get into Gear 2nd faster than before. The first time he used it he had to stand at a fixed point to "pump", but know he used it almost instantaneously.
Luffy is then slashed by some random marine, who is send flying in return. Notice again that Luffy isn't in Gear 2nd anymore. He admits that these guys are all damn strong, not like the cannon-fodder marines we saw at Enies Lobby. And another one strikes Luffy. Going forward isn't that easy at Marine HQ, Oars Junior learned that lesson also the hard way. Moria is back again and the dead rise again. Somewhere he has to store the shadows and Hogback has to be somewhere on Marine HQ too, notice the scars on the Zombies and the obscurity of a horseman and a bear marine... What speaks against Hogback are the missing Zombie numbers, but oh well. Maybe next chapter will give us more information on this.

Page 08-11 One Piece Brotherhood

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/9415/009js.jpg

Interesting panel in the middle of page 9. Luffy is attacked from all sides, but he isn't that far away from Oars Junior (the huge hairy thing) and Ace. Ace pulls a Robin and tries to convince Luffy that he has no right to be here by insulting him and such. Didn't work when Robin tried, and it also doesn't work now. Luffy just yells at him that he's his brother. Then we get a mini-flashback from when they were kids and did something like becoming brother by exchanging drinks.
Moria and his Zombies attack, but Jimbei (now right beside Luffy) takes care of them by using sea water and the salt it contains. Nice way of thinking, Jimbei. It seems he got some info on the powers of the other Shichibukai.

Page 12-13 even if it kills me

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/1425/013v2.jpg

Sengoku pulls a Garp and tells everyone about Luffy and Dragon. Why does he do that? Well, probably to motivate the marines to give their best to eliminate this "dangerous element". We get the typical reactions by everyone (no surprise there). Luffy is meanwhile attacked by a giant with a club. And what's best to fight a dragon? Something everyone has waited for since it was invented: Gear 3rd! Luffy jumps back, uses it on his right arm and therefore suprises the giant, who is preparing to strike Luffy with the club. This sudden going into Gear 3rd without giving the giant enough time to react to it solidifies my theory from above. And then another one of the giants goes down. Man, there aren't much marine giants left I think.
This chapter ends with Luffy expressing his will to save Ace again and Ace being seconds before crying. Be a man, dude! There's also two small panels with Whitebeard and Marco, where Whitebeard orders Marco to watch Luffy. This makes another body guard for Luffy besides Ivankov (and maybe Jimbei).

Conclusion and Predictions

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7829/79645884.jpghttp://img197.imageshack.us/img197/739/34521326.jpghttp://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6021/12972881.jpg

WHAT A GREAT CHAPTER! I really liked it. It reminds me of chapter 554 which was also awesome. We got Luffy action, a bit of background information about Kuma and the war continues. Man, I really liked it! Of course it had to be good after last week's setup chapter.
So, what will happen next week? To be honest: No idea. It's possible that we will see how Luffy gets close to Ace or is even able to get to him. I also see the possibility that he will run into a strong enemy like Doflamingo, but somehow I can't see Luffy fighting a real fight in this war. Maybe Hancock will have to "fight" him and gives him a opportunity to save Ace. So many possibilities... we will see ;)

One question to all of you: Should I start and give the chapters a rating between one and ten?

Have a nice day ;)

LoneLobo

Credits: All chapter 558 pictures taken from Binktopia. They did a great job!

Lunatic Scream
September 25, 2009, 05:39 PM
Nice review! I agree that it might be a Pacifista which attacked Ikanov, but at some point it was definitely Kuma, since he used Ursa Shock on Oars Jr. :(

Astral_Shive
September 25, 2009, 07:19 PM
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/6121/review558.gif

Luffy continues to run towards Ace (remembers me of Oars Junior), without using his Gear techniques, until he runs into Hina. Let me quote from my review of last chapter (557) before I continue: " And Luffy interrupts and kicks Crocodile. Notice again: Luffy in Gear 2nd, but just for this brief moment. Maybe Luffy mastered his Gear 2nd a bit more and can now switch between "normal" mode and Gear 2nd faster, therefore using it longer and more effective." So, when Hina approaches him and uses her power, he uses Gear 2nd to avoid it. There was not much time to react for Luffy, so now I'm really sure that he can get into Gear 2nd faster than before. The first time he used it he had to stand at a fixed point to "pump", but know he used it almost instantaneously.

Credits: All chapter 558 pictures taken from Binktopia. They did a great job!

Coming back to your theory :)
You remember when Ivankov added some hormones into luffy the same way he did to Mr.2?After that it was said that he is gonna be hyper-active for 1-3 days(i will need to go and see that chapter again) and after the hormones are gone there will be horrible aftereffects :P
That is probably why he is able to switch from One gear to another in an instant

LordZet
September 26, 2009, 01:13 AM
And ace isn't acting like Robin. Ace doesn't want luffy to save him because they're constantly competing. Luffy said Ace always had a huge ego, and would be pissed if he found out luffy was trying to save him and then theres the fact he doesn't want luffy to be dragged into the whole fight. Luffy's still a kid and his whole life, Ace is a pirate and has lived his life. It's his fault for going after BB, and Ace watches over Luffy he couldn';t go to the grave knowing he condeemed his brother to death.

LoneLobo
September 26, 2009, 06:47 AM
@Lunatic Scream: I totally forgot about the Ursa Shock, thank you for mentioning it.

@Astral_Shive: I checked it right now. It was chapter 539. You are right about the adrenaline boost for one day. This could be the solution, but I somehow hoped Luffy improved a bit. Good thing you noticed it! One thing is sure: Luffy will have an awesome hangover when this adrenaline boost is over.

@LordZet: Well, but isn't that the exact same thing Robin did? She joined CP9, betrayed the rest, attacked them and so to cut her bonds with them to save them. She didn't want to drag them into her own problem, being able to read the ancient language and such. Ace doesn't want to drag Luffy into his mess, being Gold Rogers son and a commander on Whitebeard's ship. Because both of them care for their crew/family and don't want them to die because of their "problems". I think their motivations are pretty much the same.
Okay, Ace got his ego thing but IMHO this is for a part also just there to hide his real feelings.

Oh, and another thing: Next week we finally get Zorro's cover story~

chihoho
September 28, 2009, 08:15 AM
probaly kuma had to make it so real as possible as a spy for the revolutionary army

monkey D luffy
September 28, 2009, 03:26 PM
lonelobo i think you are mistaken about the pacifista here just because the pacifista doesnt have paws and that kuma used ursa shock on oars jr.

Kuranzyan
September 29, 2009, 02:51 AM
Kuma fired that laser, no doubt about that, but the guy is a complete enigma... You never know what he's thinking at all. He reminds me of Dragon the first time he appeared way back in Loguetown.