PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Paramecia... Paramecia... Why this name?!

deffkryz
September 27, 2009, 03:17 PM
A question that went through my head for quite some time since I've found out what paramecia means in Latin (and in English) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramecia). :facepalm

From the Kana 超人 read as choujin, they are DFs giving "super-human" powers - but why the name of some little lifeforms? Is there some explanation to that?

ScratchmenApoo
September 28, 2009, 07:05 AM
I think that they are lifeforms, which are unique, because they withstand horrible conditions and they evolutionise and make progress fast, upgrading, mutating ? Meaning they are like super-humans in the cellular world ? That's just my guess.

Akainu
September 28, 2009, 09:56 AM
Well maybe, just maybe it gives a hint as to how Devil Fruits work. What I suddenly had in mind was the midiclorians from star wars. just that they don't carry something lame like might or whatever it's called but devils abilities.
Just an idea that could be furthered later as it's off topic here. I also don't have an explanation for the reason why only paramecia has it in the name *shrugs*

Razh
September 28, 2009, 10:05 AM
Maybe Oda called them paramecia because of paramecia's abillity to form symbiotic relationships, just like DF users do with their abilities. Zoan and logia are a little different because their users turn into an element or an animal (hybrid), if you understand what I mean.
I really believe that we'll find out what exactly do those names mean futher in the story. After all, Oda promised that we'll find out more about DF eventually.

Also, paramecia are single cell organisms. All of the paramecia give their users one specific power. Sure those powers can evolve, but it really depends on the users alone.

kebuenowilly
October 14, 2009, 08:28 AM
I think is the word is not related with those little lifeforms.
Oda chosed that word as mix betwen two words in latin: para-mecia.
Para, from paranormal as they gives especial powers, and mecia, from medicine as they boost the body.

I don't know latin, so I'm not sure, but it seems quite obvious for me (maybe cause I'm a latin language speaker?)
So I think that about the little lifeform is just a missunderstood from a coincidence.

I will be great if somebody with latin knowlege can show what I said.

Razh
October 14, 2009, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean, but there's no way that Oda combined two latin words and it's just coincidence that it has the same name as a single celled organism with symbiotic abilities.

Also, I didn't know that mecia is a medicine in latin. I only heard of medicina.

ScratchmenApoo
October 14, 2009, 01:39 PM
I don't want to create another topic, but what do exactly Zoan and Logia mean ? (where they are taken from etc.)

Akainu
October 14, 2009, 01:46 PM
Zoan: I could imagine it comes from the greek direction, as their word for creature is zoon (ζῷον), no idea for logia atm. that would fit with their abilities...

beastboy
October 14, 2009, 05:46 PM
WoW.. I allways thinked in PARAnormal+Mecia (mecha hahaha)
So is a Paranormal body with special mechanicle habilities!!

kebuenowilly
November 03, 2009, 10:26 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean, but there's no way that Oda combined two latin words and it's just coincidence that it has the same name as a single celled organism with symbiotic abilities.

Also, I didn't know that mecia is a medicine in latin. I only heard of medicina.

So whats your theory about that microrganism? I think its a coincidence, as microorganism like that just don't fit with the world of one piece, where science works in a magical way such as "dials" or "cola powered franky".

I think that mecia is related with farmacy, but i'm not sure cause I don't know latin. It just seems obvius to me. Anyway, to translate a word into another its not the way latin languages work. It's not so simple. Many languages work with a root word, with diferent endings or starters that change the meaning. That meaning can change a lot in latin, as that formula is the base of the language.
I give you an example in spanish:

Golpear: to hit
Golpeador: A person who hits. But it has the meaning that has been trained or has o lot of experience about hiting. I.e. a boxer
Golpista: a person who hits, used to designate a rebel, as they "hit" the establishment
Golpismo: Political practice that tries to start a rebellion.
Regolpe: one of a series of hits
Golpetazo: a crash

root word:
Golpe: a hit. But it also means sudden, or shock, or strike, or injury...

So Latin words come form a very general concept, and then they evolve to a very precise word.

So I think that mecia means something like effect on the body as a concept; and medicina its a derivation from it that means control or art over the effects on a body.
So paramecia means something like paranormal effect on the body.

I don't want to create another topic, but what do exactly Zoan and Logia mean ? (where they are taken from etc.)

Zoan: Zoo related word.

Logia: In modern language is used as "science" to form words as "etymology" or "morphology". Its related with the word "logic" so IMO it means something like "state of relations", or something like "the way things are conected betwen them", in a physical and also in a metaphysical way. So it should be used as those akuma no mi connect you with a type of "energy" but in a more methaphysical way than paramecia, as yourself becomes that type of energy.

Also, IMO, I think Oda used those words as they sound like latin and latin is related with science, specially used for clasification, for exemple in plants an animals. So he used it for clasification of the akuma no mi.

But you shouldn't translate a word with a digital translator and take it as it only meaning, thinking that it just means that, and not trying to go further.
As Latin languages works with derivations, and also with methaphorical relations betwen concepts, just as poetry, its not correct to translate a work just checking it in a dicctionary. The conceptual context of the word its determinant for its translation.

Once again, I don't know latin, so i'm not sure about that.
It would be really nice to find somebody with deep latin knowlege to explain it.

Razh
November 03, 2009, 11:18 AM
So whats your theory about that microrganism? I think its a coincidence, as microorganism like that just don't fit with the world of one piece, where science works in a magical way such as "dials" or "cola powered franky".

I think it makes more sense than the possibility that Oda created a new word derived from latin. Don't be ridiculous.
It doesn't fit with One Piece?
There are both physics and biology involved in One Piece, some parts with great detail. Also, aside from physics and biology we have had cybernetics from the moment Franky appeared.

Lol, can't believe that someone can think that Oda accidentally gave devil fruit type the same name that those microorganisms already share.
And it has some similar traits too. Talk about coincidence.

You said that paramecia could mean something like an abnormal effect on body.
Here's what the word literary means - http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/paramecium

Also, paramecia are known to have symbiotic relationships with some bacteria. This is what's interesting to me. You could say that people who eat paramecia devil fruit form a symbiotic relationship that allows them to use some ability. Maybe it's like midichlorians with Jedi but each DF user has different ones.
Luffy became a rubber, Bellamy could turn his legs into springs, Whitebeard can cause massive vibrations, Magellan can produce poison etc.
Zoan fruits allow their users to mutate into a single life form or into a hybrid, and logia allows users to become and control an element that exists in the nature on it's own.

Funny though, reading what I wrote here, I'm almost convinced that devil fruits were made by someone.

ScratchmenApoo
November 03, 2009, 02:25 PM
This one is really off topic though:

^I think that Devil Fruits are natural, but in what way, I am not sure. The word "Fruit" suggests that it grows in a tree, but noone in One Piece has ever told where they found them, only to say that they stole it from an enemy ship, or they just ate it.

There are other crazy things in One Piece that are natural, like flying sky islands or a river that flows upstream to the mountain top. They are natural, right ?

I am confident that Oda will explain EVERYTHING, including what the terms mean.
It's a shame I don't see it coming for a long time, because after the war, the strawhats will most likely continue the adventures to Merman Island and it will be hard to implement a cameo of Vegapunk around there.

Razh
November 03, 2009, 03:06 PM
There are other crazy things in One Piece that are natural, like flying sky islands or a river that flows upstream to the mountain top. They are natural, right ?

Sure they are, but those are a little different. One Piece world is filled with weird natural occurrences. In such an environment where each island has it's own different weird climate, sky islands and knock up streams aren't that weird.

But a fruit that allows you to morph your legs into springs, or morph your hands into scissors. That stuff is weird in different league. If it were only logia and zoans, I would have believed it. But paramecia give people ability to turn parts of their bodies into man made objects, like springs scissors and even wheels. Bubble bath isn't a natural occurrence either.

Having that in mind, it's hard to believe that nature just copied man made inventions and pasted them into fruit. At least as far as paramecia is concerned. I guess it's possible that logia and zoan were natural and scientist created paramecia based on them. I wouldn't put that ability past people from 700 years ago who created weapons that can destroy the world.

kebuenowilly
November 04, 2009, 05:34 AM
There are both physics and biology involved in One Piece, some parts with great detail. Also, aside from physics and biology we have had cybernetics from the moment Franky appeared.

Lol, can't believe that someone can think that Oda accidentally gave devil fruit type the same name that those microorganisms already share.
And it has some similar traits too. Talk about coincidence.

You said that paramecia could mean something like an abnormal effect on body.
Here's what the word literary means - http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/paramecium

LOL
You are free to believe what you want, because we are just guessing until Oda's explanaition.

But you're building a whole theory just from a word! A word that IMO it's just a missunderstanding. :facepalm
Look, there are other accidental meanings for zoan and logia:
Zoan: Biblic city in Egypt (http://net.bible.org/dictionary.php?word=ZOAN)
Logia: Words from prophets (http://www.yourdictionary.com/logia)
So now you can start 2 more theorys...

So what parts of physics and biology are explained with great detail? Can you show, please? Maybe haki, memaids, weird sea monsters, soda powered cyborgs, flying islands, energetic shells, etc? LOL
How does your microorganism theory fit in a world like that?

Akuma no mi will be explained in a mistic way that we don't know yet because Oda is unpredictible. But no science is behind them.

Razh
November 04, 2009, 07:14 AM
LOL
But you're building a whole theory just from a word! A word that IMO it's just a missunderstanding. :facepalm
Look, there are other accidental meanings for zoan and logia:
Zoan: Biblic city in Egypt (http://net.bible.org/dictionary.php?word=ZOAN)
Logia: Words from prophets (http://www.yourdictionary.com/logia)
So now you can start 2 more theorys....

So, are you saying that Oda made an error with the word paramecia? What are you saying? What misunderstanding?
It's a word that means something. Your theory is based on inventing new or derived meanings from the word. Brilliant.

No theories from an old Egyptian city that doesn't have anything to do with animals, at least not more than any other average city, or from the collection of sayings of Jesus.
In fact, I'll go so far as to say that devil fruits don't have anything to do with any of the Testaments.

So what parts of physics and biology are explained with great detail? Can you show, please? Maybe haki, memaids, weird sea monsters, soda powered cyborgs, flying islands, energetic shells, etc? LOL
How does your microorganism theory fit in a world like that?

I need to show you? If you can't recognize parts where science is used in great details than you shouldn't even be discussing it with me. Gimme a break.
Are you saying that there are no microorganisms in One Piece?

Here's one simple example, even though I shouldn't be giving one at all. It's about Nami's disease on Drum island. Notice the word bacteria then continue reading.
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/139/13/
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/140/06/

Akuma no mi will be explained in a mistic way that we don't know yet because Oda is unpredictible. But no science is behind them.

And yet Vegapunk, who is a scientist, not a mystic has researched devil fruits and has found a way to integrate some of them with weapons and reproduce a logia ability. That's SCIENCE.

kebuenowilly
November 04, 2009, 12:15 PM
LOL
Yes, what I'm saying is that Oda give that name to Paramecia without knowing that there's a bacteria with a similar name!
Also, Oda creat another word, zoan, from a derivation from zoo.
Furthemore, in our day to day life we use a lot of new words create from the mixing of 2 old words, especially anglosaxon terms. It's the way new concepts are writted, and its used very often in journalism and literature, specially science-fiction and fantasy.
So I don't know why so get so hesitated with that idea...

Oh! And thanks for showing us that Devil Fruit aren Egypt or Jesus related (really, it will be great if somebody creates an irony smilie for such situations)

And yeah, I want you to show me the parts where science is highly detailed in One Piece! Or you think that a soda powered cyborg is high detailed science!?

Yeah, bacterias where mentioned to explain a regular disease. Not a paranormal phenomenon!

Man, Oda never explains anything in a detailed way, like for example chakra is explained in Naruto. That's why I love OP, cause everything can happens, but a boring explanation. This is why your theory doesn't fit, because it's too elaborated for OP world.

Razh
November 04, 2009, 03:12 PM
Yes, what I'm saying is that Oda give that name to Paramecia without knowing that there's a bacteria with a similar name!

Unbelievable.

Well, I end discussion before I get annoyed. We'll see who's right eventually. I can honestly say that you underestimate Oda when you claim that he didn't know about paramecia and yet gave the type of devil fruit the same name. The man is well read, give him some credit.

Lord Rayleigh
November 04, 2009, 03:30 PM
No theories from an old Egyptian city that doesn't have anything to do with animals, at least not more than any other average city, or from the collection of sayings of Jesus.
In fact, I'll go so far as to say that devil fruits don't have anything to do with any of the Testaments.

I don't have any opinion about that but still,

The present "field of [the town] Zoan" is a barren waste, very thinly inhabited [...] is now the habitation of fishermen, the resort of wild beasts, and infested with reptiles and malignant fevers.

ZenoArmani
November 04, 2009, 03:33 PM
I also think it seems like too elaborate a name to not have an intentional meaning.

kebuenowilly
November 04, 2009, 04:38 PM
I can honestly say that you underestimate Oda when you claim that he didn't know about paramecia and yet gave the type of devil fruit the same name. The man is well read, give him some credit.
... :eyeroll
Man, I don't underestimate him, I love him, he's the best comic author.
But he's human, he can miss a little detail.

We will see if your theory is right

Poneglyph420
November 04, 2009, 04:49 PM
IMHO Oda knew of the ties Paramecia might have to Biology and prob knows of the other inane interpretations of his choice.

Most of his primary readers probably don't care as long as the DF users are cool...

beastboy
November 06, 2009, 07:34 PM
maybe the only thing special in the fruits is that they carry some bacteria wich infects and causes you to be stunned in presence of sea water, and some extra powers!!

ScratchmenApoo
November 07, 2009, 03:47 PM
maybe the only thing special in the fruits is that they carry some bacteria wich infects and causes you to be stunned in presence of sea water, and some extra powers!!

Then.... What if eating a Devil Fruit modifies the genes and grows some weird paramecia cells that take over the users body, but the person can control them. These cells are all different varying with the DF properties, but when they contact seawater, they become unable to move, and then the DF user can't do anything either. That would be way too scientific though, which means it would not appear in a manga aimed for younger kids, even if it was somewhat true.

Razh
November 07, 2009, 06:08 PM
Then.... What if eating a Devil Fruit modifies the genes and grows some weird paramecia cells that take over the users body, but the person can control them. These cells are all different varying with the DF properties, but when they contact seawater, they become unable to move, and then the DF user can't do anything either. That would be way too scientific though, which means it would not appear in a manga aimed for younger kids, even if it was somewhat true.

That's what I was implying. It would explain how it doesn't matter whether you eat an entire fruit or just a piece. It doesn't explain how fruit becomes useless after it's bitten, but it may have something to do with ruining it's basic structure.
Also, it's not really that complicated to understand even if you are a younger kid. I don't know where you come from, but younger kids in my country learn biology in school. Unless you're talking about kindergarten kids...
And I wouldn't exactly say that Oda aims primarily to younger kids, but even if he does, bringing elementary biological explanations certainly wouldn't harm their young minds. It's certainly better than explaining it with magic. That's what I expect from Oda, anyway.
He's shown to be quite a researcher, whether it is cuisine, ship building, pirate history, medical treatments, physics etc.

ScratchmenApoo
November 08, 2009, 05:57 AM
That's what I was implying. It would explain how it doesn't matter whether you eat an entire fruit or just a piece. It doesn't explain how fruit becomes useless after it's bitten, but it may have something to do with ruining it's basic structure.
Also, it's not really that complicated to understand even if you are a younger kid. I don't know where you come from, but younger kids in my country learn biology in school. Unless you're talking about kindergarten kids...
And I wouldn't exactly say that Oda aims primarily to younger kids, but even if he does, bringing elementary biological explanations certainly wouldn't harm their young minds. It's certainly better than explaining it with magic. That's what I expect from Oda, anyway.
He's shown to be quite a researcher, whether it is cuisine, ship building, pirate history, medical treatments, physics etc.

I agree with you. I like how Oda keeps everything to a logical level to a certain extent, even backwards rivers are theoretically possible in real life, and there are parts of water with no wind at all and currents that make you move faster etc. It most certainly is good, that Oda doesn't explain anything with magic/randomly explaining things quickly. He thinks everything through, and I'm POSITIVE that he will explain Devil Fruits scientifically. I mean, Vegapunk is 500 years ahead of us, he is supposed to describe them with scientific terms and words that are not understandable for some people.
What I do hope, is that Zoan, Logia & Paramecia all have their own explanation, rather than an unifying theory. The only thing they should have in common is that they're weird looking fruits and they come from the same source.
And about the younger kids: One Piece is still shounen, lots of boys watch it, and probably in Japan, they don't care much about the explanation and whatnot, they want to see action (This is not a fact, just my own insight) whereas I want anything to be as logical as possible, relating to real life, if possible.