PDA

View Full Version : Question What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

NoLimit89
September 27, 2009, 07:33 PM
People who know about One Piece that I've met are divided into either

1) love it like it's the best thing in the world (and rightfully so)

OR

2) hate it even though they haven't even watched a single episode.

Okay I've exaggerated #2 abit but the basic and ONLY argument I've seen for people hating One Piece is that - the main character looks so stupid, it looks so kiddish, crappy plot, I can't possibly sit through even 5 minutes of it, it is that bad. (I got this from quite a few people).

What do you say to those people?

Drmke
September 27, 2009, 07:46 PM
I think most people are turned off by the more "child-like" art. They are used to seeing manga (or anime) like Bleach or other manga that have ,essentially, "badass" looking characters in the normal form. Big muscles, drawn darker, and serious more times than not. They don't really give it a chance.

When you do finally give it a chance and check more than 2 chapters or episodes, you see that One Piece is badass in its own way. The cartoony looking characters make sense in the world Oda creates and you find yourself loving it :D. This gives it a very original feel.

I have also heard people complain it has no real plot development because nobody dies.

1) That's not true; people die (especially in flashbacks), just not as much as other manga.
2) Oda has stated before that he doesn't like killing characters because he thinks it is a cheap way to create drama. And he does a great job creating drama without killing off characters left and right.
3) And since when has killing people been the only way to advance plot devlopment? One Piece has an amazingly complex plot (as far as shonen manga go) and it controls it to where it doesn't get too overwhelming for the reader.

So finally, to all who say they hate One Piece...you're crazy :p

RichardMNixon
September 27, 2009, 07:48 PM
"You're wrong."

The only time it really gets to me is if they don't like One Piece but do like Naruto or Bleach. Some people don't like meat, fine, but who likes meat and not filet mignon? Naruto and Bleach are barely worth being in the same sentence as One Piece.

NoLimit89
September 27, 2009, 07:56 PM
yea so true^^^ I get those from my cousin's friends. But luckily I'm 20 and they're 16ish and I just give them a smack and be like shut your mouth boy!!! (in a joking manner though, not like actually hurting them)

and it completely shits me when they say no plot, crappy character development and all that jazz especially since I think One Piece has the best plot and character development and even inspirational themes that puts it ahead of not just other manga/anime but most entertainment/television/media in general.

firework
September 27, 2009, 11:01 PM
"try it"

most of them never give it a chance =(
its because of the art, i think

sharingan_kakashi
September 27, 2009, 11:59 PM
something they dont like about One Piece (which i assume because i hate it sometimes) is the amount of dialogue. I am guessing this is one of the reasons there aren't more translators and scanlators for One Piece.
I don't really see anything wrong with the drawing/art. Its actually better than most mangas out there (only one i can say is better is Vagabond).

i just ignore them, convicing people is just too taxing.

deffkryz
September 28, 2009, 01:48 AM
"Yeah, I hate you. STFU" ... ;)

But seriously, it depends on whether or not those people want to hate OP or just simply don't know it. In most cases I'll ask why and what they're reading instead and try to get them read some of the recent chapters which are different from the first 100 ones.

But if they say that out of pure bashing, I keep on ignoring them - maybe I start to bash their favorite manga, but most likely not. Because I think, that this is much more childish than a manga could ever be. Yeah - even manga for a pure children audience. Criticism is fine, though - but most of the ones bashing think they have some kind of right to bloat forums.

NoLimit89
September 28, 2009, 03:16 AM
actually I do know a few people who actually hates it though.

and I just found out recently that one of them is actually up to date with it. which I can't really wrap my head around - because why would anyone watch it if they hate the show?

he kept saying that the main character was goofy and annoying, the story development is slower than dragonballz and a pain to watch, etc etc ...

particularly his attitude really got to me when he said, "Now, this is compounded by the fact that an arc about comradery ends with constant 1vs1 battles; ruining storyline potency to satisfy shounen convention. How typical.".

yea a total nutjob hater.

ScratchmenApoo
September 28, 2009, 07:09 AM
I usually say something in the way of "You don't give it a chance/You need to watch all of the episodes until the end of Robin's rescue or even all the episodes" because if you reach that point, you truly realise what One Piece is about. The deep story-line, the connections, the Devil Fruit powers, the justice powers, the hundreds of individual characters (which I think is unique with One Piece). They do not understand the story-line.
For my case, I can say, that I didn't like Katekyo Hitman Reborn after watching the first few episodes, because it seemed weird to me and I didn't know much about it. But my friend suggested how cool it was all the time, so I took the time to read the manga and found it very enjoyable. I think the case here is also for those people, they just don't take time to watch OP.

modoki
September 28, 2009, 09:47 PM
Personally, a majority of people i know who dislikes one piece all tell me the same thing.
"I gave the first 10 episodes a trial run and it sucked badly."

Well can't stop them, but i can say any good long running anime such as one piece requires "years" worth of character development before getting straight to the point of the story.

IF they are that much in a rush and have no patience, watch Zombie Loan or something.

tasuki00
September 29, 2009, 01:41 AM
I used to hate One Piece but now I enjoy it having read it a 2nd time and it's not without it's faults. If someone doesn't like it you might as well just say "well it's not for everyone." If theres one thing that makes me not like One Piece more is the fanboyism(even though that has nothing to do with the manga itself).

kkck
September 29, 2009, 01:50 AM
I have yet to have a discussion with someone about that lol. I guess that is because people who do not like one piece are not bound to post in the OP forum lol.

deffkryz
September 29, 2009, 02:08 AM
Personally, a majority of people i know who dislikes one piece all tell me the same thing.
"I gave the first 10 episodes a trial run and it sucked badly."

If they started like that, I might ask back: "4kids or RTL2 version? Or the already pre-censored Japanese version?" ;P

Pre-censored because:

Toei didn't show how Luffy got his scar in the tv show, for example.

RichardMNixon
September 29, 2009, 09:54 AM
something they dont like about One Piece (which i assume because i hate it sometimes) is the amount of dialogue. I am guessing this is one of the reasons there aren't more translators and scanlators for One Piece.
I don't really see anything wrong with the drawing/art. Its actually better than most mangas out there (only one i can say is better is Vagabond).

i just ignore them, convicing people is just too taxing.

The dialogue is the best part! One Piece chapters have meat to them, a good 10-15 minutes worth of reading. I've tried reading Naruto occasionally and it's over before it started.

It is worth noting that One Piece is far and away the most popular in Japan (at least based on sales), it just gets less respect in America for some reason. Is it like that in other countries as well? Maybe it just has fewer fangirls?

mashimashilove
September 29, 2009, 09:56 AM
i say, "i hated it too the first time i read through it. i couldn't even stomach three chapters. but then i went back again and fell in love with it. now do the same!" >:o

that's only for the manga though- i don't really like the anime. the voices of the characters annoy me. xD

BetaRuler
September 29, 2009, 01:22 PM
I just give them a smack and be like shut your mouth boy!!! (in a joking manner though, not like actually hurting them)

Lol, naaah I wouldnt do it in a joking manner XD id beat them senseless...
... I mean... What I mean to say is that I will hear their argument out clearly and thoughtfully, then suggest that their stupid, impudent little p****s and that One Piece should be their religeon while I force their ******** over some ***** and **** their faces up and **** them senseless till the handle breaks off and their ****** all over the floor...
It gets violant quick ^_^`...

I mean honestly, why can't they at least appreciate One Piece, at LEAST it doesn't use the generic art style, usually ALL mangas seem to only draw everything pretty, at least One Piece can draw an ugly character and MAKE him look ugly but cool, One Piece gives us butt ugly but likable characters like Franky, or Ivankov, whereas Naruto gives you Choji and ends up making him one of the most baddass characters, I've never seen an ugly character in Bleach do anything cool either, this is also why I put Fairy Tail above Bleach and Naruto in my fav mangas.

malgranda
September 29, 2009, 02:05 PM
It is pointless to quarrel about tastes.

In my opinion One Piece has two strong points - humor and recurring themes (nakama, freedom, dreams). If you don't like first and don't care for second, then you will probably see OP as an average manga at best.

RichardMNixon
September 29, 2009, 02:47 PM
I mean honestly, why can't they at least appreciate One Piece, at LEAST it doesn't use the generic art style, usually ALL mangas seem to only draw everything pretty, at least One Piece can draw an ugly character and MAKE him look ugly but cool, One Piece gives us butt ugly but likable characters like Franky, or Ivankov, whereas Naruto gives you Choji and ends up making him one of the most baddass characters, I've never seen an ugly character in Bleach do anything cool either, this is also why I put Fairy Tail above Bleach and Naruto in my fav mangas.

Yeah, the overall lack of bishoujo in One Piece is definitely refreshing. None of the admirals have flowing blond hair and sparkling eyes. And Dragon is one ugly dude.

tasuki00
September 29, 2009, 04:37 PM
I felt FT was just really boring the only part I liked was that girl who could use different kinds of armor.

Poneglyph420
September 29, 2009, 09:00 PM
Hmm what do I say.. You don't like O.P. go read Naruto...

Or everyone has an opinion, just some are WRONG!
Something like that...

BlackHair
September 30, 2009, 09:45 AM
It is pointless to quarrel about tastes.
Exactly. People have different tastes. U can't put urs above everyone's else.

Whether ppli like OP or not is irrelevant to me. But mocking OP is different..

Erimia
September 30, 2009, 12:29 PM
"It's the best manga out there, thought it's slow at the beginning, go read it!"

it is kinda meh at the beginning, especially the anime, but once you get to a certain point, you can't put it down.

BetaRuler
September 30, 2009, 03:07 PM
"It's the best manga out there, thought it's slow at the beginning, go read it!"

it is kinda meh at the beginning, especially the anime, but once you get to a certain point, you can't put it down.

Actually I think thats because Oda's pacing got faster as he went along, when I first read the manga I thought the pacing was pretty awesome, but once I'd caught up to the latest chapters around the end of CP9's arc, I started rereading One Piece again but was thinking that the early chapters were "meh" and "slow" too, but I think it's just that Oda's pacing of the story has gotten different since he began.

ANBU4U
October 03, 2009, 01:48 AM
I tell them to rank their favorite manga, and if none of the following are mentioned within the first 5 I ignore their opinions on everything. Forever.

The List:

Berserk
Claymore
HunterxHunter
Vagabond
Yu-Yu Hakusho
Gantz
Dragonball
Death Note
Outlaw Star
Black Lagoon
Full Metal Alchemist
Naruto (It better not be the first thing out of your mouth though)
Akira
Planets
Vinland Saga
Ghost In A Shell
Trigun
Ikigami
Helsing

Brownie Points for mentioning Lupin III

Oh, and if you dare to mention Bleach I may actually pray for your soul.

belle_chan
October 05, 2009, 08:01 AM
well,everyone have their own interests, and this includes manga too. so,it is normal if somebody doesn't like one piece. and just ignore those who doesn't appreciate the greatness of one piece like us do. you cannot tell other ppl to shut up just because they don't like one piece but you do.
ask them to give one piece a try. me myself for instance,doesn't even have the desire to watch one piece but i give it a try since my guy friends & brother kept bugging me to watch,so i did. the first episode doesn't even interest me,but as i kept watching,i dunno since when it started, and guess what,one piece is my top favourite manga & anime now :)

Captain Kidd
October 05, 2009, 08:05 AM
You must not read a lot of manga for One Piece to be your favourite. :)

belle_chan
October 05, 2009, 08:34 AM
erm,i do read a lot of mangas including naruto & bleach,yet one piece is still my fav :)

no_regretsYSL
October 05, 2009, 10:18 AM
i say, "i hated it too the first time i read through it. i couldn't even stomach three chapters. but then i went back again and fell in love with it. now do the same!" >:o

that's only for the manga though- i don't really like the anime. the voices of the characters annoy me. xD

I was kind of like this as well but I got into One Piece manga around the the 500 cap ( I discovered it around the 300 cap, but was already so far behind I've never looked back). For the anime however I remember the first episode on Fox Channel 8 (lol) dubbed by that one company everyone loathes. I thought it was terrible, the intro song, and the fact that it was so kiddish, and this was before I saw Luffy take on the Marines. But I would personally go back to these people and say what my friend told me, that is, "watch the subbed version, its so much bloodier and the series it self has some outrageous action. Not to mention theres a part where this guy throws an entire house.." I'm sure they'll be a little more swayed after that.

beastboy
October 05, 2009, 01:23 PM
I say :"Burn in hell, after beeing poisoned 50 times"
well actually I say:
"go read "insert link here" that I'm a bit lazy to wright it all over again" haha
Cause if I try to explain they won't ear, so I just have to download the eps into their PC and press play ^^!!

Freakzin
October 09, 2009, 09:41 AM
Being a huge dragonball fan (kid goku) and all shonen weird though strong heroes. Watchin the FIRST ep. already got OP at high ranks for me. Reading the manga was what really made it number 1.

Most of my friends don't like OP, is because they don't have the capacity or just don't like reading manga. Since they have as their utmost favorite THE FIGHT SCENES and MOVEMENT, they prefer animes. And OP anime has slow movement fights compared do Naruto and Bleach, but then it's just taste. I prefer OP fights.

slippy
October 10, 2009, 03:56 AM
I tell them to rank their favorite manga, and if none of the following are mentioned within the first 5 I ignore their opinions on everything. Forever.

The List:

Berserk
Claymore
HunterxHunter
Vagabond
Yu-Yu Hakusho
Gantz
Dragonball
Death Note
Outlaw Star
Black Lagoon
Full Metal Alchemist
Naruto (It better not be the first thing out of your mouth though)
Akira
Planets
Vinland Saga
Ghost In A Shell
Trigun
Ikigami
Helsing

Brownie Points for mentioning Lupin III

I kind of take this approach too, but I also see if they list off animes only shown on adult swim. Then I know they only watch bad, dubbed animes. And yes, Lupin is awesome

--I know you were talking about manga but I don't know many people that read manga ;o

jokey
October 12, 2009, 05:51 PM
people have their own opinions... i just feel sorry for them to not be able to experience the enjoyment, thrill, excitement etc of reading one piece... i've been reading it for 9 years now... and this manga has never dissapointed me... unlike naruto which is getting kinda predictable...

Pain75
October 23, 2009, 06:20 PM
The thing about OP is the variety in it ,2 many stories with one plot "chase your Dream" which is an excellent one seeing how Oda gives us many characters and how each one is pursuing his own dream,also the fights in one piece are super,each fight for luffy or any of the SH crew has a different finishing move not a single finishing move is repeated in any of the major Fights for all characters,while in Naruto,Bleach its always the same which makes u bored of the fights and events in them,why does it always have to be rasengun or getsugathenchu or w/e its called,naruto and ichigo keeps practicing hard and evolving so they only could finish the fight as they always do, especially naruto,i used to love naruto and bleach the way i love one piece but never have they reached one piece level of story,fights and most certainly Characters.

In my opinion naruto and bleach are for kids and guys under 16-17 because they have more hitting than a true good story and they show more brawn and bad guys as some1 said,but once u get to know one piece u`ll see what badazz means :P,when it comes to story and lifestyle Full Metal Alchemist and one piece rulz but thats just my opinion

Bugzee
November 01, 2009, 11:49 AM
Well, i dont give a damn whether they hate it or not! I love it!!! typical replies: 'ahh man thats for kids' 'OP is rubbish, Naruto is the sh*t', 'i dont get OP'!

Dumb ignorant mothaf*ckas!!!

Lord Rayleigh
November 01, 2009, 12:21 PM
Some people don't like it : they have read some chapters and don't find it interesting for different reasons they involve and they did not continue reading it. Nevertheless, I think we will never see someone who has read all what is already published and who hates One Piece. I don't see how someone that reads only some chapters can hate One Piece : he just skips this manga and that's all.

I think we can find two kinds of people that do not like One Piece :
- the ones that are fond of Naruto and Bleach and prefer when it looks like these mangas : :facepalm
- some adults, older people that are not interesting in shounen mangas anymore because of their age and prefer other kind of mangas : acceptable.

Bugzee
November 01, 2009, 01:12 PM
Whether its hated a lot or not, i believe imo that One Piece will become (has become imo) one of those legendary manga's that everyone will look at in history!!!! The amount of stuff thats going its just immense!!!!! and its still the start for me hehehe Oda dont stop!!!!!!

Zehahaha
November 01, 2009, 01:48 PM
- the ones that are fond of Naruto and Bleach and prefer when it looks like these mangas : :facepalm

I like Bleach and Naruto, but that doesn't mean that i hate OP ;) I like them all the three of them, each of these mangas has it's own strong points and weak ones anyway, and as some of people said, it's all about tastes ^^

ZenoArmani
November 01, 2009, 01:56 PM
I think the book can turn readers off after a while because the author tries out different things (that can feel like "filler arcs" between the "major plot development stuff") and feels kind of uneven. Me and my brother both found the Enel arc rather boring for example, and it dragged on for a very long time. Ditto for the Moria arc, but it wasn't quite as bad. Then *Wham!* the readers get hit with something really fun again. Of course, tastes differ about which arcs they prefer.

Lord Rayleigh
November 01, 2009, 03:05 PM
I like Bleach and Naruto, but that doesn't mean that i hate OP ;) I like them all the three of them, each of these mangas has it's own strong points and weak ones anyway, and as some of people said, it's all about tastes ^^
I talk about the ones that complain because One Piece is not enough similar to Bleach and Naruto.

Gecko Moria
November 01, 2009, 08:13 PM

I think you might have to ignore my opinions on everything forever then, ANBU4U. One Piece currently occupies the top 10 places on my favorite manga list. And why is One Piece not on your list? I hope it's because it was too obvious to mention.

I'm afraid you might end up doing a lot of praying for a lot of people.

-----------------------------------------------------
Question: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?
Answer: Go jump in a fire :/
No seriously, it doesn't matter if for some reason they don't enjoy reading it (or can't be bothered reading from the start because of the length) but hating it is different.

slippy
November 02, 2009, 07:12 PM
Me and my brother both found the Enel arc rather boring for example, and it dragged on for a very long time. Ditto for the Moria arc, but it wasn't quite as bad. Then *Wham!* the readers get hit with something really fun again.

i can't believe how many people dislike the enel arc on this site. this arc was probably my favorite. but to each their own :P

Bugzee
November 02, 2009, 09:13 PM
Lookin back on it, i think the water 7/enies lobby arcs were super duper!!! I enjoyed the the sky island/enel arc and thought they were really great! The TB arc was a total let down for me!

Lord Rayleigh
November 03, 2009, 08:36 AM
Thriller Back was good but a lot people does not like it.
We got Shichibukai Moria, we got the zombie idea, we got Zoro vs Ryuma (and we first believe Zoro lost, great job of Oda), we got Nightmare Luffy, we got Brook and Laboon story, we got Kuma's power, we got Captain John's treasure map, we got Zoro'sacrifice, we got Usopp vs Perona (with a strong sniper) etc ... People should read it again.

ofir271
November 03, 2009, 09:23 AM
my answers

1 i know rubber isnt cool but still...
2 bleach is ok(not) but is sould be about reading as well not just looking at pics you know...
3 grow a sence of humor
3 i know you like it,i know you like it,i know you like it,i know you like it,i know you like it,i know you like it,you know you like it,you know you like it,you know you like it,you know you like it,you know you like it,you know you like it,you know you like it.

ok, that worked. noone hate one piece!. not in my book.

Organizized
November 03, 2009, 09:34 AM
Thriller Back was good but a lot people does not like it.
We got Shichibukai Moria, we got the zombie idea, we got Zoro vs Ryuma (and we first believe Zoro lost, great job of Oda), we got Nightmare Luffy, we got Brook and Laboon story, we got Kuma's power, we got Captain John's treasure map, we got Zoro'sacrifice, we got Usopp vs Perona (with a strong sniper) etc ... People should read it again.

Not to mention it's got one of the most emotional flashbacks in the whole series, with Brook and the Rumbar pirates. :tem

Most people I've met who don't like One Piece say they dropped it after a few chapters because the art isn't that great, Luffy is a childish rip-off of Mr. Fantastic (I hate it when people say this), the characters are annoying, etc. To those, I say: nothing.

The first couple of times I tried to convince them that while the art might not be top notch at the start, it gets better all the time, or that they should at least read a whole saga and witness at least some character/plot development before jumping to conclusions, but mostly that doesn't convince anyone. I don't feel the urge to waste my energy on being a fanboy, so I just let them stick with their Bleach and their Naruto.

RichardMNixon
November 03, 2009, 10:21 AM
I'd agree the art starts weak but I consider the current chapters to be the best Shonen art.

Plus there's none of this:
http://www.onemanga.com/Bleach/345/12/
http://www.onemanga.com/Bleach/345/13/

I find ~ 20% of bleach to be a series of unintelligible diagonal scratches.

Also, meat and pirates.

ZenoArmani
November 03, 2009, 10:46 AM
If you don't like scratchy art you definitely shouldn't check out Hunter X Hunter. :)

(I consider it much more enjoyable than Bleach though.)

Bugzee
November 03, 2009, 11:12 PM
Its there loss not mine LOL :XD

I recommend One Piece as much as I can to friends and people who have an interest in comics/mangas and stuff, but some instantly fall in love with Naruto or Bleach and sadly (and regrettably) ignore OP! :darn

slippy
November 04, 2009, 03:49 AM
just tell them one piece is the best selling manga of all time, shouldnt that do it? if so many people love a manga, it must be good...which sadly isnt the case for....certain other mangas

Shiro-kun
November 04, 2009, 05:29 AM
What would i say If they hate it and never gave it chance (and if they are big manga fan as well..) ?
Thats It their own concern that they never give great things a chance cause they dont look at the detail and .or have the patience to read/or watch an awesome manga/anime they are missing out on so muuuch , its such awesome Manga and Anime to miss out on and its one of the best i read so far

and..

To add on I recommend this manga-anime series to all whom love Anime / Manga and lots of Adventure cause its the pinnacle of it :tem

Bucks
November 04, 2009, 06:32 AM
Ignore 'em.

One Piece has it's up and downs, but it has far more up's then downs, Which is something I can't say for Naruto. I quit Bleach a long time ago and I have a feeling I'll quite Naruto soon as well.

Truefan21
November 04, 2009, 07:48 PM
Your loss. Every one entitled to their opinion

tako-san
December 12, 2009, 01:14 PM
this is what i hear most of the time, "i watched one episode and it was really boring."
now i find that to be very poor grounds to base ones judgement on. they should at least watch a few more episodes to get a better idea, if reading manga isn't their thing, although to me the manga is just pure genius. someone mentioned earlier how the completely different art style can cause one to stray away. The same thing happened to me. i looked at it at first glance and was like mehhhhh looks too silly, but once you read it you can see how amazing the art really is. and the story is too amazing for words. i noticed also that people get turned off when they hear that there really is no romantic component other than sanji's lady obsession, but i beleive it only adds more to the story and if there was so much lovey dovey stuff i think it would only add useless drama. i only accept someone claiming that they hate one piece if they gave it a try. cause hey, thats personal opinion. one piece is without a doubt my favorite manga out of all the ones i have read.

zagorka
December 12, 2009, 02:19 PM
Many people are turned off by One Piece either by watching or reading the manga at the very beginning. My personal story: The anime turned me off immediately when I started hearing about One Piece. So much that I stopped watching it, thinking it was utter crap. Then a friend told me to read the manga, because the anime did not portray the manga accurately. So I went to read it, and I dropped it again after reading 10 or so chapters. Main reason was that it was slow moving and quite weird for me. Later I decided to give it another try, and for many good reasons, I loved it more and more as I read on. It's really unfortunate that many go through the same thing, because this manga is truly amazing. It's just sooooo much fun to read. It's only around the Arlong Arc where the manga really gets going. And it only gets better after that.

Sure, people are going to view a manga that's a fantasy less than a mythological one (Naruto). People are more prone to believe that it touches upon real issues, or whatever... Or OP is not worth discussing... I don't see a difference personally. When it comes down to story-telling, Oda has shown to have done a better job. If you do end up reading this manga, information you received a hundred or so chapters back (or even more), comes back to be elaborated on. And it is in this manner where you understand that Oda has skillfully planned out this manga very well. For instance Haki became known to us from the very first chapter. Yet how long did it take for us to see another instance of someone using Haki? Much later! Oda ties up things so nicely, that it's not even comparable to Naruto, nor Bleach. Naruto and Bleach are known for just introducing and retconning themes/ideas randomly and it doesn't flow very well as a story.

You can't really convince or argue with someone who doesn't like the fantasy aspect of One Piece. Or the art for that matter. I personally love the art, as it fits the fantasy/adventurous aspect of the manga. But you can easily argue against people who claim that One Piece has a crappy plot. First of all, people who state these things usually haven't read past 5-10 volumes, and are hardly qualified to give proper criticism. For those who compare it to Naruto or Bleach and claim them to be better, are sadly mistaken in my opinion.

In One Piece, we have the main character who is constantly on a new adventure, and it never gets boring. We witness his crew enlarge and become stronger every arc. Just about everything in the manga is amazing. Luffy the main character has the World against him, and that is the most interesting aspect of the manga. Not only the majority of pirates in this story (most likely) will go against him to fight for the "Pirate King" title, but he has the World Government on his back trying to deprive him of his dreams and goals as well. There is surely so much conflict surrounding Luffy that it becomes so interesting. Bleach and Naruto hardly have that much conflict surrounding the main character. What we have in OP is a main character driving the plot. Can we say the same thing with Naruto? Oda doesn't neglect the world, even though he focuses on the main character. When Luffy does something, the World Government responds and other pirates as well. But in Naruto... We never were given any understanding about the world. And if we were given information about the 5 countries or the other countries, we have a totally different understanding now. I don't want to get into the problems of Naruto and Bleach, but this is just a minor point I'm bringing up.

I think if someone just gives this manga a chance, they will like it in some way. You don't have to fall in love with it, but I'm sure the majority of people will just enjoy OP as a fun read.

DarkFlameDragon
December 15, 2009, 01:09 PM
I say STFU noob go read your yaoi

Jiggy-Ninja
December 15, 2009, 03:19 PM
I'd agree the art starts weak but I consider the current chapters to be the best Shonen art.

Plus there's none of this:
http://www.onemanga.com/Bleach/345/12/
http://www.onemanga.com/Bleach/345/13/

I find ~ 20% of bleach to be a series of unintelligible diagonal scratches.

Also, meat and pirates.
The first picture, I think Kubo was trying to make it mysterious and spooky. Ulquiorra's release was something that a lot of people had been waiting for, and I think that Kubo did a good job milking all the drama that he could out of that moment. The first pic pulls that off pretty nicely, the second pic just sucks.

As for people judging a series based on it's art style, I find that ridiculous. A lot of people dissed The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker because of it's graphic style, when it was actually a pretty sweet game, and the graphic style worked quite well.

ZenoArmani
December 15, 2009, 03:29 PM
Well, it still helps enjoyment if it's an art style the reader personally likes. That probably goes for you as well, but I know what you mean. For example lots of old-school western comics fans automatically dislike all manga, because the art style usually isn't "realistic enough", instead of focusing on if it's entertaining.

frontaLobotomy
December 16, 2009, 02:27 PM
It was always better than Naruto (imo), and I've never been able to get in to Bleach. Ichigo is just too overpowered. A lot of the criticisms I hear from One Piece is there is too much time wasted on filler material. While I don't like it either, I've always combatted the filler problem by not watching the anime regularly. Reading filler material and watching it are much different.

urlaub
December 16, 2009, 03:25 PM
STFU BIATCH!!! The story and and other criteria are in slight fluctuation from normal jonen. So be the avreage then and do not read OP:)

OunknownO
December 16, 2009, 07:50 PM
recomend, but if they didn't like it, I just say "ok it's your choise"

Poneglyph420
December 16, 2009, 11:17 PM
I'd just say there's plenty of Shoujo manga out there....

beastboy
December 17, 2009, 04:28 PM
I just Inazuma kick them after a good falcon punch in the face... xD!

<.< I guess it would be better a topic saying:
"Why do people hate one piece?"

Lord Rayleigh
December 17, 2009, 04:39 PM
There is a depth in One Piece that I can't find in any other manga - though I must admit I don't read a lot of mangas - One Piece is not a childish manga, what is thought by some people because of the drawings - that I like so much -, One Piece is an universal manga.
There are various ways to read it : and the more you read it, the more you will find things that you didn't notice/understand the last times. It is a manga for everyone - the age doesn't matter - and yet people will not find the same things in it : we can focus on the fights, the adventures, the story, or the symbolic/meanings behind the storyline.
One Piece is the only manga I've found for the which I think some essays could be written on. There are behind the characters, their behaviors, some details, some objects (bandana of Zoro, mask of Sogeking) an infinite number of meanings that characterized the people and their personality, fears, opinions etc ... The behavior of people and the events, could really be psychoanalysed and studied, : I've read various french analysis of One Piece (characters, script, symbolism).
In One Piece, there are different phylosophical positions, ways of life, values, ideas that are shown and it brings a lot to the manga. Unlike Bleach or Naruto, where all that looks false and meaningless and reveal the stupidity and the emptiness of the manga, One Piece proves to be an infinite source of meanings, full of interesting things.
One Piece looks true where other cannot and yet we can enjoy a story built into a fantastic and unlimited world. The people who hate/do not read One Piece miss some incredible creation. To me, One Piece is a masterpiece. Definitely the best manga.

sarutobi_sensei
December 19, 2009, 05:30 PM
I say: Watch the first 30 episodes, then tell me something. If you still don't like it, watch until 127. If you still don't like it, watch until 200. If you still don't like it, watch until 314. If you still don't like it, watch until the current episode. Then tell me why you don't like it.

No srsl, I tell them to actually watch the show and not just random episodes. Feel the history. Not just see the first 5 episodes and stop.

Rejuvenation
December 20, 2009, 03:48 PM
For the polite ones that just couldn't get into it, "If you haven't been able to enjoy it even after the Alabasta arc then its not your cup of tea".

For the ones that really pour it on to get a rise out of me. "Go back to reading your garbage manga like Bleach, Naruto, and Fairy Tail." More than likely, the people in this category have read and praised one of the 3 while trying to hate on One Piece.

Elyon A. Luna
December 21, 2009, 07:29 AM
You must not read a lot of manga for One Piece to be your favourite. :)

Let's get a point through here:

In mainstream shonen manga (because that's the genre we are focusing on) there are a lot of mangas you can enjoy. Dragon Ball is one of the greatest mangas because it went straight for the coolness. Not that it didn't have a story, but didn't pretend to make it deep, just enough to go with the show.

The problem with Naruto and Bleach is that they are trying to convey things they just can't get very much right. They misuse characters and plots, trying to have everything covered quickly. And if not, look at the main villains group. Once they went all outside, it was pretty much downhill for them (The Espada suffered much more) I just read that Kubo wants to follow with his manga. He may have a pair of stories up his sleeve. But I would prefer it to go to rest.... Oh, well

Now, as we do know, OP starts very generic. Into Alabasta, we begin to see how the world really works.And from then on, everything we see into it connects nicely with the rest of the world, and keeps us interested.

leapyear29
December 23, 2009, 05:22 AM
imao cuz of Eiichiro Oda's unique and impressive drawing style.. most who people only watch anime/read manga that have a certain art style (usually something modern) find One Piece's art unappealing because of it's difference to most.. although I personally find it's art amazing!..

msg
December 25, 2009, 02:32 AM
Liking what you like and what people like is subjective..well i would probably say to them to be "open"...and if they still hate it, let them.You cant force someone to like something that they don't like right?

Black Lagoon
December 27, 2009, 11:45 AM
I don't care about their opinion at all -_-; if they hate One Piece it just a matter of tastes.
So I'd say love it or hate it ... it's up to you and you're the one whose got something to lose not me.

Bugzee
December 27, 2009, 12:23 PM
If anyone around me hated OP at present, I wouldn't really mind tbh but I would simply ask them one question...'Do you think WB will fall/die?' :amuse

Everyone knows who WB is :XD *in the OP world hahaha :XD* so they'll be hooked on OP! :XD

Black Lagoon
December 27, 2009, 01:12 PM
Or just ask them one question ...
Q : hey, you ... you say that you hate one piece, by the way what's your favorite manga?
A : Naruto (Or Bleach)
then ... a :facepalm and go (with no offense :p)

Bugzee
December 27, 2009, 08:52 PM
^hahaha o0o0oh Mr. Lagoon has changed his avatar and sig :blink. LOL your sig is awesome but I much preferred your previous avatar imo. :thumbs

Whether people hate OP or not..imo once One Piece manga comes to an emotional end (:scry :s :scry)...I feel those people who hated the manga will appreciate it more and :facepalm themselves for not embracing it at an earlier stage. *It is imo and* will become a must-read manga! :)

Ooblahh
January 03, 2010, 09:38 AM
Some people hate on One Piece because it's more popular than what they like. A friend of mine likes Naruto but hates OP, just coz it's more popular.

maaghms
January 03, 2010, 10:10 PM
It all depends on a person's personality and tastes. Imo, One Piece is the best since it tells a very consistent story with each of the Strawhat crew having very interesting personalities. Heck, there is even something interesting about their ship.

Naruto manga went uphill until near the end of part I and then it kept rolling downhill. The story is inconsistent and full of plot holes. The main character is, most of the time, pathetic and pitiful and has become a supporting character obsessing over another guy. The personality of the main character is not even as interesting as one of the Strawhat crews.

Regarding Bleach, nothing much to say. Kubo takes at least 5 pages just to show the motion of a sword or somebody turning back to look at something.

Of course, having said all of the above, there are a few people who cannot appreciate finer things in life. They will chose to hate OP regardless of whatever logic and evidence you give to them. :p Sarcasm is the best way to deal with such situations. ;)

Zehahaha
January 06, 2010, 05:10 PM
I just asked a friend of mine who hates OP to watch ep 126... And he fell in love with it !

One thing for sure, if you watched arabasta arc and still didn't like OP, there's no way that you would like it

Finale
January 06, 2010, 06:46 PM
Go @#ck yourself. Just kidding, but I think a part of the reason the casual American doesnt like OP or likes Naruto more is because of that awful dub that was for many their introduction to OP. If they gave it chance by watching the Japanese version with the English subs or read the manga I think it would've caught on with more people. While the voices of Naruto in the english version are somewhat annoying at least it wasn't edited like OP was. Fox tried to make OP a Saturday morning cartoon while Naruto got to appear on Cartoon Network which only really cut out the language and the blood. I enjoy Naruto but there are so many unanswered questions which I'm not sure will ever be answered, also the focus on the sharingan it gets frustrating since I see this fantastic world that could be explored instead of other things. With OP I know that interesting and DIVERSE ( not everyone has a sharingan cough cough) characters will continue to pop up throughout the story.

Avid
March 03, 2013, 04:04 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I liked the topic. I've encountered it a lot too. For most people it's that it is more cartoonish, but when I remind them of their roots and talk about the creativity of it their tune changes to surprise. To me, One Piece is the best shounen manga there is. It truly captures all that the genre implies. It was a series that took awhile to establish enough to really be all that stimulating, but once it had it truly does just capture your heart. It has the spirit of Dragon Ball and so much more. The principles Oda writes with on every creative and story telling level are all I could hope for in an author. I just hope for those skeptics to give it a try and stick with it awhile if they are fans of shounen. I promise they'll love it by the time the Skypiea arc rolls around.

Tonix
March 03, 2013, 05:06 PM
I've never heard anyone say they hate One Piece.

danzouismadara
March 03, 2013, 06:36 PM
People who hate ONE PIECE= people who hate creativeness.

Kaiten
March 03, 2013, 07:13 PM
I've never heard anyone say they hate One Piece.

I've seen plenty of people say the hate One Piece, usually members of other shounen fandoms. Most that I have seen don't actually read One Piece. Don't like the art, too long, etc.

M3J
March 03, 2013, 07:43 PM
I'd say "can't blame you."

jaymizzo
March 03, 2013, 08:55 PM

:notsure

That is blasphemous

M3J
March 03, 2013, 10:34 PM
It's called being open minded and not attacking people for what they like. :-_-

I'd just make fun of their favorite series. :>

Naruffy
March 03, 2013, 10:42 PM
I don't really buy the "too long" excuse, for any manga/series. Shouldn't really read a series just to get to the current stuff, it's not a race to the ending. It's often more enjoyable to read chapter in groups rather than waiting weekly. That said, as long as people have a legit reason, I don't really care if they dislike OP.

Anduren
March 03, 2013, 10:45 PM
Tastes are tastes.... everyone's entitled to their own. There's no need to say anything to people who say they hate One Piece; except maybe to keep their objections to themselves if it's offensive.

Some people prefer ice cream over cake; some don't.
Some people prefer dating nicer looking people to people with better character; some don't.

Incidentally, bonds based solely on looks (or other shallow judgments) usually aren't very mature and don't last very long; which is why One Piece has an older, more mature and broader audience. People who just watch anime or read manga for "mature looking" art or is satisfied with something that has minimal depth in plot to drive their interest in the shounen genre just won't be interested in investing the time and effort that really has to be made before the enjoyment of something like One Piece can be felt.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that; just that I know a lot of people who started watching Naruto or Bleach, for example, because they thought they were the best thing on TV and either just lost interest, or hate it and still continues to watch/read just because they want to know how they end or don't want their earlier investment in those manga to go to waste. I can't say I've talked to many (if any at all) who would say the same about One Piece.

Kukriblades
March 03, 2013, 10:53 PM
It depends on the level of their hatred.

M3J
March 03, 2013, 11:27 PM
I don't really buy the "too long" excuse, for any manga/series. Shouldn't really read a series just to get to the current stuff, it's not a race to the ending. It's often more enjoyable to read chapter in groups rather than waiting weekly. That said, as long as people have a legit reason, I don't really care if they dislike OP.

to add to this, when I finally caught up (I think during the month hiatus two years aog?) to the series, I thought it was totally worth the long read.

Avid
March 04, 2013, 01:36 AM
To me, it depends on their experience with it thus far. If they're being prejudice I'm going to try to persuade them to see the error of that.

Regino
March 04, 2013, 02:03 AM
I would tell him/her: "You make a made/make a mistake dude!" :)

MiyamotoMusashi
March 04, 2013, 02:06 AM
I never really cared. In my opinion, outright hating a product that is supposed to entertain is one of the stupidest things to do, you either like it or you are indifferent to it. If it is the latter, i just think that they miss out on a lot but i don´t really care about it, just like i don´t care that the majority of young people or people in general in my country do not watch anime or read manga, or the majority at my age does not listen to Classical Music and so forth.

hoeru
March 04, 2013, 08:28 AM
I'd laugh and either change the topic or - if my "opponent" was still agressive - just leave. Seriously, I won't waste any time trying to someone into liking a work. Be it One Piece, Fairy Tail, Toriko, or some other manga, movie or whatever.

But if they came up with some retarded racist stuff, I might get loud...

FaustXIII
March 04, 2013, 01:34 PM
You like Naruto and Bleach but you don't like One Piece?

Oh c'mon!

BurnSchulz
March 04, 2013, 02:11 PM
I usually dont discuss with people over something they dont like because its their right to like or dont like whatever they want.

But recently i changed my Timeline Picture to somthing One Piece related and there was one Friend who couldnt resisit to say that "No one watches One Piece" anymore. I simply replied: "I watch it since it was first shown in TV and ever since. And when you do it so long, you just cant stop. ^^"
He was okay with that. :D said something like "For you its okay".

Naruffy
March 04, 2013, 02:28 PM
There are lots of people who hate other series simply out of interactions with other fans. It's unfortunate, but often times clashes between fandoms can cause people to become biased against other series to the point where they can never really enjoy them objectively.

ukimix
March 04, 2013, 04:14 PM
Nothing. People have the rigth to dislike what I like. There should no be an issue, at all.

matzik1212
March 04, 2013, 04:45 PM
It's called being open minded and not attacking people for what they like. :-_-

I'd just make fun of their favorite series. :>

That's so like you :lmao

IMO i don't know what's to hate about One Piece . You can say you hate One Piece just 'cause you never tried reading/watching it :eyeroll

Kaiten
March 04, 2013, 04:58 PM

I don't even say that much. There business, just ignore them. You've seen some of the discussion before though, I'm sure. Naruto vs. One Piece vs. Bleach discussion can get pretty viscous. And annoying.

k-dom
March 04, 2013, 05:37 PM
Actually, I know more people that don't know about it...

M3J
March 04, 2013, 06:26 PM
That's so like you :lmao

IMO i don't know what's to hate about One Piece . You can say you hate One Piece just 'cause you never tried reading/watching it :eyeroll
:cheez

But taste of their own medicine is my policy. Usually.

I don't even say that much. There business, just ignore them. You've seen some of the discussion before though, I'm sure. Naruto vs. One Piece vs. Bleach discussion can get pretty viscous. And annoying.

I've seen little, and it's basically been a warzone that not even Marineford and Great Shinobi War 1-3 could match up to. X_X

Funny thing is, they're comparing apple to orange to watermelon. Naruto and OP are or were great in their own rights. Though currently, I see OP as being more consistent while Naruto is usually a miss with some hit. Wiht Bleach, I feel the hatred is overreaction, but I wasn't reading it at the time people were mad at it/Kubo.

Though, if people give art as a reason for hating One Piece, I feel inclined to correct them. The art is goofy like it is because Oda isn't trying to win the award for best artist. He's drawing it goofy on purpose and making it silly because he doesn't want the readers to feel stress or anything. I forgot what exactly he said about that, but that's the gist of it.

Hell, a lot of people complained about the early OP (up until Water 7 arc?). I never found anything bad about the story, other than Skypeia, possibly, or before they got up to Skypeia. Of course I read the manga for the humor, mainly. Not necessarily for the story.

31TeV
March 05, 2013, 02:48 AM
"Fine, everyone has different opinions. It's what makes the world interesting."

I have heard some legit reasons for disliking One Piece, like the unusual art style. And you've got to admit that the very beginning of One Piece isn't exactly brilliant, and that might put people off. Does anyone say that their favourite arc is Romance Dawn, Orange Town, Syrup Village or Baratie?

Utsune
March 05, 2013, 03:46 AM
Partly in response to M3J's comment:

While I do agree with the comparison between the three manga is analogous to comparing a can of coke to my alarm clock, I can't fathom the so-called 'consistency' some people tend to desire so much out of a manga. Each manga paces themselves accordingly to what their story is about, using the slow bits, the talky bits, the battle bits, the 'useless' bits... bits that state the obvious, bits that are expected, bits that contribute little purpose in the overall plot... at the end of the day, when you finally see all the chapters as a single story, you may realise each chapter serves brilliantly as a small piece of the grand picture.

Also, as much as Oda-sensei intends his art to be such and such, it is perfectly personal for hating it. No doubt I know you understand that already, but on the other hand, haters of the art who are more insightful will understand his intention, too (he doesn't want the readers to feel stress or anything as you put it.) It's not a matter to be 'corrected.' It's simply straight-up dislike for the style. No matter the reason behind the art style, merely saying "Oh I hate that art, it's all goofy and stuff" isn't a statement to undermining Oda-sensei's goofy intention. In fact, you couldn't undermine it even if you tried.

And another thing which is obvious, regardless of how good the story line is, if it ain't people's taste, then it ain't people's taste. Surely, the majority readers of One Piece praise its plot and there is clearly a reason for that: because they notice it's (objectively) cleverly written. But as good as it is, certain people would prefer more boring-going manga rather than such an eventful series. And I feel I should stand in for them because they're generally the unheard voice in the community, swept away by the fans of more successful series, and while knowing full-well their 'boring' series is inferior by general consensus. But that won't change their view on their manga.

Similarly, is there any point in saying anything to haters of One Piece? Or rather, what is your intention in doing so? Talk no jutsu them out of hate? Explain on behalf of Oda-sensei the greatness they couldn't understand? (I believe the term is 'getting butt-hurt' in today's society.) "Fine, everyone has different opinions. It's what makes the world interesting" as mentioned above↑ may be a way to put it, but I think it's more of a case of "why do you even care when the other party isn't going to suddenly fall in love with an art style/messy story/noisy characters they despise all their life?"

Avid
March 05, 2013, 06:01 AM
While I do agree with the comparison between the three manga is analogous to comparing a can of coke to my alarm clock, I can't fathom the so-called 'consistency' some people tend to desire so much out of a manga. Each manga paces themselves accordingly to what their story is about, using the slow bits, the talky bits, the battle bits, the 'useless' bits... bits that state the obvious, bits that are expected, bits that contribute little purpose in the overall plot... at the end of the day, when you finally see all the chapters as a single story, you may realise each chapter serves brilliantly as a small piece of the grand picture.

Also, as much as Oda-sensei intends his art to be such and such, it is perfectly personal for hating it. No doubt I know you understand that already, but on the other hand, haters of the art who are more insightful will understand his intention, too (he doesn't want the readers to feel stress or anything as you put it.) It's not a matter to be 'corrected.' It's simply straight-up dislike for the style. No matter the reason behind the art style, merely saying "Oh I hate that art, it's all goofy and stuff" isn't a statement to undermining Oda-sensei's goofy intention. In fact, you couldn't undermine it even if you tried.

And another thing which is obvious, regardless of how good the story line is, if it ain't people's taste, then it ain't people's taste. Surely, the majority readers of One Piece praise its plot and there is clearly a reason for that: because they notice it's (objectively) cleverly written. But as good as it is, certain people would prefer more boring-going manga rather than such an eventful series. And I feel I should stand in for them because they're generally the unheard voice in the community, swept away by the fans of more successful series, and while knowing full-well their 'boring' series is inferior by general consensus. But that won't change their view on their manga.

Similarly, is there any point in saying anything to haters of One Piece? Or rather, what is your intention in doing so? Talk no jutsu them out of hate? Explain on behalf of Oda-sensei the greatness they couldn't understand? (I believe the term is 'getting butt-hurt' in today's society.) "Fine, everyone has different opinions. It's what makes the world interesting" as mentioned above↑ may be a way to put it, but I think it's more of a case of "why do you even care when the other party isn't going to suddenly fall in love with an art style/messy story/noisy characters they despise all their life?"

You have a great turn of phrase and persuaded me more than someone telling me to just respect others opinions ever has. I have so many ideals on what people should appreciate about things, and when I see those and my admiration is won and I've felt that inspiration's grip... I can lose sight of how my own criteria doesn't necessarily mean they are going to appreciate something, even if they perceive it. Maybe I do it because a lot of my favorite things took time to grow on me, but I shouldn't hold these slight grudges when someone just can't feel it that way. You made your point well enough I felt tingles of relief at some parts, and I think that deserves a complement.

M3J
March 05, 2013, 08:58 AM
Partly in response to M3J's comment:

consistency as in quality of the manga. Naruto right now isn't doing so well in my opinion for various reasons, while One PIece's story isn't so bad. At worst, it's been meh, but apart from that it's still engaging. There's less humor from what I've noticed, but it doesn't hurt the series much.

takneeque
March 05, 2013, 10:02 AM
if someone hates it,mostly you can't help it.i would say,"don't miss out on one piece just because you hate it.":)

Mr. Arashi
March 05, 2013, 10:39 AM
I'm going to help you to hate it more!

Doraku
March 05, 2013, 10:55 AM
I promise no matter what, I will never be your friend and I will never forgive you and I will hate you for the rest of my life.

Not really though. I totally understand if some people dislike One Piece, since I respect highly the freedom to choose and voicing your own opinions. I do hate some manga as well either, so there is no need to be irritated when someone hates One Piece.

llaubacher
March 05, 2013, 11:15 AM
This is quite a hard thing to asnwer, ya know? My friends, those who think I am not weird and watch anime/read manga too, don't read nor watch One Piece manga and anime... I know few fans, they would never taunt One Piece but I especially hate when a Naruto-retard fan tells me it's way better than some One Piece which he/she has never read before. And the same goes for Bleach fans, I've never seen/read it so I can't really argue with them but from what I've heard it's a huge troll and piece of poop nowadays, so that's it. Anyway.. I would not think twice and I would swear at those haters, haha. Guess they would run away crying. ;D

kulugo
March 05, 2013, 11:24 AM
just laugh at them cause they're missing one of the best mangas ever.

Utsune
March 05, 2013, 11:57 AM
consistency as in quality of the manga. Naruto right now isn't doing so well in my opinion for various reasons, while One PIece's story isn't so bad. At worst, it's been meh, but apart from that it's still engaging. There's less humor from what I've noticed, but it doesn't hurt the series much.

Hmm okay, I think I know what you mean, but just a quick query, I might have misunderstood. I'm guessing you mean 'consistency in quality' as in 'consistently fulfilling personal expectation?' For example, Naruto would be 'inconsistent' because of the (subjectively) silly character development, or the (subjectively) stupid twist/development in the plot, when everything before seems to be going (subjectively) normal. Or maybe in One Piece, there's less humour than there is before, the factor you say you prioritise in your other post, and hence it's dropping in consistency? Because I can't help but to think, when it comes right down to it, this so-called quality is merely a satisfaction one deems achievable with certain chapters, while a 'drop in quality' would mean other chapters are not providing enough satisfaction on the same level as the (subjectively) better ones.

In that case, my view in the first paragraph of my previous post will still remain. Certain people may prefer consistency in tear-jerking plots, some prefer consistency in character development (no bull-pooing around with 'unnecessary' events etc,) some prefer consistency in humour, some have no preference for consistency at all (such as myself; from personal experience I would enjoy wherever the plot takes me, increase/decrease in humour and what not.)

Sorry, I don't mean to sound persistent if I did come off that way, and I've used this reply as an opportunity to voice out a bit of my belief. Whether to the people who like One Piece, to the people who hate it, to the people who wish to convince others that the manga is such and such... It's easy to figure out why there would be this 'hate' thing going on when one realises they aren't even speaking on the same level, nor with the same understanding to critical terms such as 'quality.' Whether a manga is engaging or not (as you have half-mentioned it) is personal, goes without saying, and that the factor that provides the engagement also varies from people to people, but one should also note that this 'factor of interest' can sometimes be unexpectedly hard to come to terms with, though it is still a valid quality of the manga, in which some people will find that quality good, some will find it bad.

FetherMan
March 05, 2013, 02:38 PM
I'll say this, One Piece had a shaky beginning and wasn't as interesting then. However, Oda stuck to the story line and focused on character developments more and more throughout the series, up to the battle between the Whitebeard Pirates and Marineford. To me, that was genius on his part and now, after the 2-year period ended, Oda can focused on different locations within the New World, since he's writing a manga about Pirates and that's what they do mostly, is travel.

Making that interesting and popular is very, very difficult and I commend Oda. So, I'd say that, the people who do hate One Piece are entitled to, even if it's the same folks that prefer Naruto and Bleach (lol) over One Piece. More power to you.

Naruffy
March 05, 2013, 02:55 PM
I don't think the beginning was bad, it just didn't have as many factors to consider, as the series does now. The actions of the Straw Hats didn't have as great an effect on the world then as it does now, which is one the most interesting aspects of the series, IMO. It makes each arc connected in some fashion which wasn't so much the case at the beginning stages of the story.

hoeru
March 05, 2013, 03:18 PM
I'll say this, One Piece had a shaky beginning and wasn't as interesting then.

Well, Oda had to rename Naruto to Sanji. Probably that's why. :P

The Red Dog
March 05, 2013, 04:27 PM
Out of the big 3,OP is the only big shonen that I do read assiduously.

Everyone's tastes is subjective

That being said,I do not comprehend mindless hatred toward this manga(probably coming from Naruto or bleach die hard fans)

However,Criticizing OP with decent argumentation does'nt mean that you are a "hater"

My understanding is that OP's been labeled several times as the best shonen manga.That's simply not true,Oda did a good job of "world building" & with the blurry concept of "Justice" but One Piece is a manga that has some serious flaws.(For example)It lacks the true depth of Rurouni Kenshin(which I believe is one of the best shonen along with HxH,DB,GTO..ect)

Aside from personal taste,I don't believe that anyone who's seriously into mangas would rank OP top 5

Anduren
March 05, 2013, 06:56 PM
Aside from personal taste,I don't believe that anyone who's seriously into mangas would rank OP top 5

Could you please elaborate on this statement? I find it kinda contradictory. Isn't the concept of "someone who's seriously into mangas" also a subjective/relative distinction? I mean, where do you draw the line of where someone is seriously into manga and where someone isn't?

I do agree with most of what you said in your post :) though except maybe the part about depth (I think is also still a judgement call and is different for different people based on each person's perspective and interest).

M3J
March 05, 2013, 07:00 PM
I'm talking about quality, though I guess it ultimately is subjective opinion because it's based on what we expect, understand, and enjoy from the story.

im over hyped
March 05, 2013, 09:46 PM
after what 4kids did to onepiece, i won't be surprised that people hate it. they would not bother keeping up with it. 4kids is the worst, imagine if they got their hands on bleach/naruto.

Naruffy
March 05, 2013, 10:00 PM

That's mostly subjective though. People tend to reject Bleach, Naruto & OP from "Top Shonen Manga" status because in comparison to most other series, they have larger fanbases, which generally means that along with a more noticeable/annoying fanbase, they also get more focused criticism. Basically, because more people tend to call them the "greatest" out of fanboyism, more people in turn are likely to pick them apart.

Avid
March 06, 2013, 04:50 AM
My understanding is that OP's been labeled several times as the best shonen manga.That's simply not true,Oda did a good job of "world building" & with the blurry concept of "Justice" but One Piece is a manga that has some serious flaws.(For example)It lacks the true depth of Rurouni Kenshin(which I believe is one of the best shonen along with HxH,DB,GTO..ect)

That's insulting. My favorite series is Berserk, and I've read hundreds of series. Every single one you mentioned. One Piece is my second favorite, and I can't tell you how much thought went into that selection. The only contending shounen is FMA. I'm really surprised by the ones you mention yet you belittle One Piece. I doubt you're much of a boy at heart.

weixiaobao
March 07, 2013, 12:48 AM
*I'm so sorry, it is late when I type this. I am rather very sleepy and is studying for an exam. My head isn't all here, so I assume, I will make many grammatical errors.*

Totally break my wow of not loggin on again after my temp. ban, but urghh.

To Avid, Berserk isn't shonen. The Red Dog- Lack of truth depth??? And then you mention Rurouni Kenshi. Ummm, as much as I love Rurouni Kenshi once upon a time. I don't view that series as having any depth like 20th century boys (seinen) or Berserk even the early Naruto. Rurouni Kenshi's moral is so simplistic as simplistic as Batman's wow of never kill. The whole if I kill I can never going back to Kenshin is so so unrealistic. And then you mention Dragon Ball, a series that I love very much as a boy, beating One Piece is ehhhhh no. This is the same argument that Superman always topple any superheroes list despite the fact that he is so so bland but because he is the first of the superheroes. Yes, Dragon Ball is the father of modern shonen. But subjectively looking at that series, it isn't all that great. Then there is Hunter x Hunter, another series I love, the art is beyond horrid. So so so so so so so so so so so so bad, really really really really really bad. Like Yuyu Hakusho, only the anime REALLY SUPER worth watching.

One Piece unique signature is adventure on the epic scale like Lord of the Rings. That is what I like about One Piece. Hence I like Skypiea Arc despite others found it to be boring.

If you are talking about manga regardless of genre, beside GTO (a series that I never read), none of the ones you mentioned can match One Piece.

Avid's choice of Berserk and FMA seemed more likely than your choices. I also recommend some good series like Dorohedoro, Vinland Saga, Gantz, Until Death Do Us Part, Zetman, 20th Century boys, Vagabond, Eyeshield 21, etc. I think any manga fans would like those.

Also, as much as I dislike the current Naruto. I am tired of the "narutard" as name calling. The early Naruto is terrific example of what made a generic shonen manga so so great. I hate to admit, it isn't until Skypiea and beyond that One Piece is consider a rival of Naruto. Like Kishimoto, Oda had an end plan. Except his end plan at this point seemed to hold so much promises. While Kishimoto by sticking to his original end plan is kinda destroying a lot of creativity.

On the opposite hand, I don't mind the tile of Bleach-tard. Bleach could have so much promised if it continue the trend as it going pre Soul Society then it would have been a rather unique series. And then there is Soul Society, what so great about that arc is the mystery and suspend. But Soul Society is the downfall of Bleach as much as it is the best Saga in Bleach. Soul Society introduced way way too many characters as protagonists, which meant there are way way way way too many antagonists later on. Instead of focusing on "slice of life" theme, "horror" elements, that make it so unique in the first place; it is natural after Soul Society, that Bleach went down the spiral of brainless Dragon Ball fights. And after Kubo gave us hundred chapters of pointless fight, if any Bleach readers are fine with that, then they are totally deserve the title of Bleach tard.

People who like Bleach point out that Kubo has a great sense of style, his drawing panels although can be absolutely bland in the background, Kubo employed many great cinematic techniques. But I would disagree, if that what make Bleach great, then phooyey. Those techniques are pale in comparison of OnePunch Man, a manga, I read recently.

Let's talk about suspend, since Alabasta, Oda is on his way of perfecting his suspend technique driving all the actions into a single explosive finale. As everything approach an end to an arc, there is so much urgency to know what will happen. I don't think I read any manga that consistently deliver that at all.

Shonen aside, maybe there are manga just as good as One Piece, but I don't think they are better than One Piece. I supposed what made One Piece the king of Shonen isn't because it is a better series than others but rather One Piece had won the heart of millions of Japanese and cemented itself into the manga culture like a very few of its predecessor. The current generation is the generation of One Piece. If Naruto existed before One Piece and if its quality continue to be good, this maybe an entire different topic altogether. But you don't have to talk about what if, because most westerners know Naruto before they knew about One Piece. They got hook to Naruto first, and they would be more forgiving to its flaw like we are to One Piece. (I meant One Piece does have a lot of fugly characters, but I don't mind because they are really memorable as unimportant characters).

=================================================================================

Edit:

It seems the downfall to many great series is the sheer amount of characters. As much as I grew to be fond of WhiteBeard War arc, that arc beginning had so so much lack of focus. I was so very disappointed with it at first. But Oda did it, he manage that arc well by not get too focus into every single damn fights like Bleach. And then there is Naruto great ninja war, everything is a blur to me. I guess it just doesn't deliver that urgency like One Piece did. You know, we all kinda have a feeling that everything will turn out just okay. But One Piece, eh, when Robin and Usopp left the crew, it was so depressing. And then the overwhelming Enel, it seems all hope is lost. Thriller Bark and Kuma, Aojiki on Long Island. Not always that everything will turn out just fine. That is why Sabaody Arc is so powerful, because we realize that the Strawhats had always been so lucky. And they cannot always be so lucky.

Lately alot of complain about Fairy Tail's current arc too. I find that the artist deal with the massive amount of characters well. But a lot of people will disagree with me and I could understand why.

Hunter x Hunter on the other hand brilliantly deal with this problem by killing off people left and right during any of their story arcs.

Each series deal with this problem differently. And I find that very interesting.

Avid
March 07, 2013, 01:15 AM
To Avid, Berserk isn't shonen.

You misunderstand me. I mention it because it is the only manga I put above One Piece, and I want him to understand I'm not someone who simply adores shounens. Believe me, I know the difference between shounen and seinen. I'm not going to blast everything he mentioned just because I disagree; not to say I disagree with your reviews of them. I'm saying he doesn't appreciate the purist spirit of shounen in shounen and hoping he understands my values.

The Red Dog
March 07, 2013, 02:43 PM
For posting such a post with an eye shut & the head full of homework,I have to kneel before your life force :)

To Avid, Berserk isn't shonen. The Red Dog- Lack of truth depth??? And then you mention Rurouni Kenshi. Ummm, as much as I love Rurouni Kenshi once upon a time. I don't view that series as having any depth like 20th century boys (seinen) or Berserk even the early Naruto. Rurouni Kenshi's moral is so simplistic as simplistic as Batman's wow of never kill. The whole if I kill I can never going back to Kenshin is so so unrealistic.

It's not like Rurouni Kenshin is about Hippies,Peace & Love you know :notrust yes it has a strong anti violence message(former assasin Himura's reversed blade sword)but the major theme(to me)of the manga is atonement for one's crime...so yeah...keep in mind that I was comparing RK's depth to OP's in my previous post

One Piece unique signature is adventure on the epic scale like Lord of the Rings. That is what I like about One Piece. Hence I like Skypiea Arc despite others found it to be boring.

And this is the manga's greatest strenght.OP is more "Adventure" focused than "Battle"
Another big flaw is characters development....especialy the antagonists,the followers of "absolute justice" are commiting crimes in the name of it,under the pretense of protecting a certain "blank history"....the manga is about 60 volumes and the elements havn't begun to be pieced together :facepalm.We the readers are being dragged along,like the absolute justice fanatics have good reasons for their ruthless behaviour & Oda'll give the reason eventualy...they're merely mindless assasins with no psyche,reflection or back story so far.

Althought the notions of "good" & "evil" are turned up side down in the world of OP,the manga manage to get its lot of clichés.Some guy on YT pointed out how the SH always end up making friends with the "good guys" to beat up the "bad guys" & become "saviours"...seriously....how dubious is that :nah

And I used to like luffy's "D",the fact that he inherited a piece of Roger's will....then we realize in chapter 500 something that the hat which belonged to shanks...belonged originaly to the PK himself,then Luffy becomes capable of hearing "Voices"...he's some sort of "chosen one" ultra cliché stuff lol
Even DB was'nt so Cliché man(Son Goku was in the lowest social class among saiyajins)

I could go on & on but all in all OP is a very good shonen manga,I understand that people personaly puts it at the top of their list but sentimentality aside...it is obviously not a top 5 despite its numerous qualities

Avid
March 09, 2013, 03:44 AM
Althought the notions of "good" & "evil" are turned up side down in the world of OP,the manga manage to get its lot of clichés.Some guy on YT pointed out how the SH always end up making friends with the "good guys" to beat up the "bad guys" & become "saviours"...seriously....how dubious is that :nah

And I used to like luffy's "D",the fact that he inherited a piece of Roger's will....then we realize in chapter 500 something that the hat which belonged to shanks...belonged originaly to the PK himself,then Luffy becomes capable of hearing "Voices"...he's some sort of "chosen one" ultra cliché stuff lol
Even DB was'nt so Cliché man(Son Goku was in the lowest social class among saiyajins)

I could go on & on but all in all OP is a very good shonen manga,I understand that people personaly puts it at the top of their list but sentimentality aside...it is obviously not a top 5 despite its numerous qualities

Luffy has had a sort of empathy with everything from the beginning. When that pet food store was under attack by Buggy Luffy understood the dog guarding it. Luffy inspires the dreamer in everyone. I've never really thought of him as righteous, but as someone who came to care for others who had something that meant a lot to them that was similar to something that meant a lot to him, and stood up for them because of such. Luffy's never needed a lot of confessions or explanation. He's always been able to understand in his own unique way. You're missing a lot of the character that is there in your attempt to critique here. Why do you think Oda frequently has follow-up stories about his villains? Because everybody has Luffy's values deep down.

I think they've all grown, but not so much in the sense you're expecting. You might distinguish growth through resolution, but One Piece has a thorough theme of camaraderie and the characters developments have been coming into that and learning what they can do together. I think they've all matured, but Oda doesn't go out of his way to have these big moments where they talk about it. He's one of the best when it comes to characterization.

How can you say DB wasn't cliche when it was all about emotions and the desire to protect being the true source of power? Goku became so powerful because he was raised by humans, and Gohan was so powerful because he had the emotional delicacy of humanity and the powers of a saiyan, which was unique even among hybrids.

I would be interested to see you reread One Piece and really pay close attention to every facial expression and sentiment and tell me how you feel afterward.

suraj5898
March 09, 2013, 09:19 AM
i will say friends i can understand that u dont like/hate one piece . dont get angry just stop reading its not like someone told u that u have to read one piece or they will kill u or something like that .

if u dont enjoy any manga or manhwa just stop it and find something else there r lost of manga and manhwa available, star play video games , play indoor games or out door game or do something else but dont wast ur time and others buy saying bad words

exacta
March 23, 2013, 01:42 AM
If it's just because of the art, then they haven't really given OP a chance. I can see why they would find the art unappealing, sometimes I hate the way Oda draws characters like Gecko Moria, but I don't hate his art. However, if they just hate OP or think it's overrated, well that's their opinion, and their entitled to it. They shouldn't be jerks about it though, and mock people who like One Piece, or go on discussions just to be like "ohmagerd One Piece is crap".

However, I should point out that One Piece fanboys are definitely the most obnoxious......I really like One Piece, but it's not my #1 favorite. The reason why One Piece fanboys are the worst is because One Piece's sales stomp everything else in the top 10 selling manga combined every year. Plus I've read posts where some people refer to Oda as "Goda". But every series has its fanboys, One Piece just has the worst because it's way ahead of everything else in terms of sales.....it's a lot easier to brag about how your favorite series is "teh best evar" when it has that kind of lead on everything else.

hoeru
March 23, 2013, 06:14 PM
Oh, come on. That's cheap, exacta. As if Bleach or Naruto fanboys would have never shown up, glorifying their story over One Piece. That was why terms like "Bleachhead" and "Narutard" came up in the first place and were for sure not invented by One Piece fans but manga fans in general. Saying One Piece has the worst fanboys is just lame as excuse for one's own bad behaviour.

Anduren
March 23, 2013, 08:45 PM
However, I should point out that One Piece fanboys are definitely the most obnoxious......I really like One Piece, but it's not my #1 favorite. The reason why One Piece fanboys are the worst is because One Piece's sales stomp everything else in the top 10 selling manga combined every year. Plus I've read posts where some people refer to Oda as "Goda". But every series has its fanboys, One Piece just has the worst because it's way ahead of everything else in terms of sales.....it's a lot easier to brag about how your favorite series is "teh best evar" when it has that kind of lead on everything else.

The fact that One Piece actually tops the charts gives it's fans something called "bragging rights" which is exclusive for whoever is at the top. This doesn't necessarily make it classy but people who don't find One Piece their favorite can't complain about One Piece being at the top just because they don't like it or wish their favorite was at the top instead. That's like complaining that gravity's holding you down :-_-. On the contrary, I've found One Piece fans the 2nd most reasonable and polite people to talk to (1st being Hunter X Hunter fans) and it's also largely due to the demography of the fan base. Most manga that are targeting younger audiences tend to have less mature fans while manga that target older audiences tend to have a more mature (but usually smaller) fan base.

Schabrak
March 26, 2013, 06:02 AM
I've never seen someone arguing with that kind of reasoning. -_- I can imagine a little kid may use sales numbers for an argument, but an adult? Never. One Piece may have the most fans, no wonder with those sales number, but byyyyyyy far they aren't as bad as the Naruto ones. [I am just stating my experience from the last decade.]

One could name: one of the best universe builders in the business, greatest variety in characters and showplaces, faceted plot, capable of combining and moving on with mutiple plot lines, give each arc character and use those arcs to reflect on real world problems. There are a lot of things where Oda shines so brilliantly, where it seems cowardly to blame the fandom for anything. Personally, it's not the best manga every created, for that it's far too long and has a couple to many weak points here and there, yet it shines greatly, capable of entertaining and captivating millions of fans every week.

M3J
March 26, 2013, 11:54 AM
Hm, I've rarely seen OP fans act as bad as you claim. Sure, I've seen few here get pretty bad, especially when talking about OP itself, and not in comparison to other manga, but apart from that I'd say OP fans here are much better than Naruto fans, who can get hostile whenever their favorites are being attacked (like Minato). I mean, I've seen less arguments in my month of posting here than I have in a week in Naruto section, or at least less hostile arguments.

Plus, I'm sure OP fans are tired of same reasons being used to explain why OP sucks, like art. All in all, I won't deny that the art sucks, or did suck. But for One Piece itself, the art is for the most part perfect and suits the manga and its silliness. It's also pretty goofy, but Oda said he wanted the manga to be humorous.

Based on my experience though, I can say Kait is a snobbish OP fan. :mono (smiley indicates I'm joking, by the way)

dacookester
March 26, 2013, 06:25 PM
I just simply say: "I respect your opinion, but you're wrong and I hate you."

REN KOUEN
March 26, 2013, 06:31 PM
ive only met a few who claim they didnt like one piece, and upon investigation, they only watched a few episodes of the anime, or never tried it at all

EVERYONE that i told about one piece, that has actually tried it

has fallen in love with it. my mom is 60, and she even started reading the manga if that tells you any thing, she doesnt read any other manga

some of my friends say " i just couldnt get in to it" but they only tried a few anime episodes, and to be honest, i could see how someone maybe didnt get to the arlong stuff, and maybe didnt see enough epic-ness

i think the whole baratie stuff was good with sanji, then don krieg and hawk eye

but the story doesnt really start picking up until arlong park in my opinion. but one piece is my favorite, i have seen several anime and read alot of manga

one piece is currently #1 and is only rivaled by DBZ in the past

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

Hm, I've rarely seen OP fans act as bad as you claim. Sure, I've seen few here get pretty bad, especially when talking about OP itself, and not in comparison to other manga, but apart from that I'd say OP fans here are much better than Naruto fans, who can get hostile whenever their favorites are being attacked (like Minato). I mean, I've seen less arguments in my month of posting here than I have in a week in Naruto section, or at least less hostile arguments.

Plus, I'm sure OP fans are tired of same reasons being used to explain why OP sucks, like art. All in all, I won't deny that the art sucks, or did suck. But for One Piece itself, the art is for the most part perfect and suits the manga and its silliness. It's also pretty goofy, but Oda said he wanted the manga to be humorous.

Based on my experience though, I can say Kait is a snobbish OP fan. :mono (smiley indicates I'm joking, by the way)

i havent noticed any snobbish one piece fans on here, i do feel like i am being ignored in the bleach forum though :( not saying they are snobs but i dont post there much because no one every replies to my posts

i feel like the posters in the one piece forum are not like that at all , even when i was a noob you guys talked to me

M3J
March 26, 2013, 07:34 PM
Bleach gets activity? :cookiestare

But yeah, it depends on the people as well. this forum could have a nice OP fans but another forum could have rabid OP fans. It really depends on the location, and everything.

Kyouria
March 26, 2013, 10:39 PM
As someone who ended up dropping the anime (One Piece)..

It was really good. I liked the storyline and the characters but if I remember correctly, I think I dropped it because of its length. For me, Bleach was One Piece to me for a while at least.

Shadower
March 27, 2013, 04:45 AM
I just simply say: "I respect your opinion, but you're wrong and I hate you."
This along with mentioning that One Piece was the highest selling Manga last year and that they should at least try reading a few arcs before making an opinion.

Schabrak
March 27, 2013, 06:35 AM
Being highest selling should never be an argument though. Looking at mainstream media and recognizing that absolute shit sells like hot cakes, sales numbers shouldn't be taken as a representative of quality.

Anduren
March 27, 2013, 08:46 AM
i havent noticed any snobbish one piece fans on here, i do feel like i am being ignored in the bleach forum though :( not saying they are snobs but i dont post there much because no one every replies to my posts

i feel like the posters in the one piece forum are not like that at all , even when i was a noob you guys talked to me

Don't take this personally; it's not just you. This is just anecdotal evidence that I have kept track of from the different forum sections that I read through sometimes as a fan of some of the manga:

- Naruto fans will tend to hunt you down like a pack of rabid wolves if you leave any comment against the Uchiha or Senju.
- Bleach fans will tend to just ignore the posts you leave there.
- Fairy Tail fans will probably respond to your post with a pervy comment.
- One Piece fans will get you into a discussion about how genetics or the laws of thermodynamics affect devil fruits if you leave a post there.
- Hunter X Hunter fans will just agree with everything you say if your post says how great the anime is right now.

The demography of the fan bases for those manga seem to be like this:

- Naruto: has some cultist inclinations.
- Bleach: insider's club in a high school where if you're not already known/"accepted", you're ignored.
- Hunter X Hunter: people who like thinking about the deep philosophical implications of putting a kid through hell.
- One Piece: all of the above.
-Fairy Tail: caters to those who crave eye candy.

Disclaimer: The above statements I say more in the spirit of humor (though based on personal experience) so I hope humorless people aren't offended by it :^_^.

But anyways, some manga feeds the addiction of people who just want to watch characters kill each other. Others feed the desires of those who like thinking about moral issues. You can't expect anybody to go gaga over something they're not interested in which is where personal tastes come in. But the reason One Piece's fan base is so big is because it has a little of everything except maybe the art form that's common in most other manga. (of proportions etc.)

hoeru
March 27, 2013, 12:52 PM
Being highest selling should never be an argument though. Looking at mainstream media and recognizing that absolute shit sells like hot cakes, sales numbers shouldn't be taken as a representative of quality.

Sure it's not only the sales (while "sales only" for sure is a counter argument to brush some bashers off that come up with other serieses being more succesful - which is wrong - therefore One Piece isn't as good). But still, One Piece does sell very well not only in the primary Jump target audience but also for much older ages. So One Piece ain't just mainstream. With the One Piece Ten it arrived in modern japanese culture IMHO - which other serieses didn't and most likely are never going to.

One still has the freedom not to like it of course, but simply bashing is even more annoying than being woken up by the neighbours' baby at midnight for its first weeks.

-Fairy Tail: caters to those who crave eye candy.

Uhm, I think that really belongs to Bleach, too. Kubo's drawing style is much more tuned for eye-candy poses and character movements - Mashima is pretty much as comical as One Piece.

But it's completely right that you need to like at least some pervy aspects of manga while reading especially both One Piece and Fairy Tail and become comfortable with them. Oda openly shows his affection to well-shaped characters while still being able to make jokes about that, so does Mashima. And both are great fans of Toriyama who... well invented characters named "Norimaki Senbe" and "Muten Roshi", while the first like ten chapters of Dragon Ball aren't actually SFW as it wouldn't get into the Jump of today...

As someone who ended up dropping the anime (One Piece)..

It was really good. I liked the storyline and the characters but if I remember correctly, I think I dropped it because of its length. For me, Bleach was One Piece to me for a while at least.

The anime actually never was "good". Adequate (except the filler content) and mostly as entertaining as the original piece, yes - unlike one started watching the 4kids crap (or started the series by watching the late German translations).

I can understand if people say that a series runs too long, and one feels that he has to move on. The personal taste changes. Some goes with food. I used to hate spinach, but nowadays it's actually become one of my favorite vegetable (if prepared right ;)) But it would be great if people then behaved like the adults they express they would become instead of appearing as ranting teenagers only. And this doesn't only refer to people bashing One Piece - such arrogancy is quite a disease nowadays that spreads in all Shounen forums once the series achieve a certain grade of popularity.

And I think that is what is to complain about: The bashers.

Avid
April 11, 2013, 01:47 PM
I've never been able to identify with the complaint of length. So what, you'll have something that you have more to go with for awhile. I love that. I've literally read enough manga to say I've read into a five digit figure worth of chapters. Hell, a favorite of mine titled Hajime no Ippo is over 1000 chapters and still going. It actually works really well because it really keeps the momentum of a good showdown going.

I had been online reading manga for seven years before I started One Piece in 2010, and before that I had considered it the lowest of the big 3 Shounens. It was because of the art and the 4kids dub. The early parts of One Piece make for a good shounen, but One Piece didn't find greatness until they had reached Grand Line. I was in the middle of the Skypiea arc when I realized I was in love with it, and it has always delivered great stuff to me. When I tell people about it I tell them to trust me and stick with it. They'll love it before long.

exacta
April 05, 2014, 08:25 AM
The fact that One Piece actually tops the charts gives it's fans something called "bragging rights" which is exclusive for whoever is at the top. This doesn't necessarily make it classy but people who don't find One Piece their favorite can't complain about One Piece being at the top just because they don't like it or wish their favorite was at the top instead. That's like complaining that gravity's holding you down :-_-.

I have no idea what possessed me to look at threads I posted in over a year ago, I woke up at 5 am and couldn't get back to bed so I was doing all sorts of random stuff on my computer....but since I looked at this thread since the last time I did when I posted, and since I apparently have no life, I might as well explain my old post.

I have no problem with One Piece being at the top in Japan. That's cool. My point is, every anime/manga has an annoying fanbase....and the most annoying thing any fanbase has to say (or at least IMO) is "_____is the best series ever, *insert authors name* is a genius and no other story can even be compared to it!"

So why do I say One Piece has the worst fanboys? (And note I said fanboys, not fans. I'm not applying this to everyone who is a fan of One Piece, not to mention that would apply to me too. The One Piece forum here is great actually, I only really see fanboys on comments in Youtube and other places that are broader than one manga forum) Because One Piece fanboys simply have the best ammunition. They have the best argument to back up their claim. Like for example, take baseball. The Yankees have generally outperformed all other teams in both leagues by an absurd margin. Because of that, if an obnoxious Yankee fan says your team sucks, he can always throw in your face the fact that his team has won the World Series several more times than your team has. It's just easier to be an asshole about something when you can say it's number 1.

Also One Piece fanboys have a tendency to go into discussions or videos for other series and say "This chapter was good, but it cannot be compared to this weeks One Piece Chapter!" or, probably the most annoying: "This was low quality. *Insert authors name* needs to take notes from Oda.* It's obnoxious, and it does turn some people off from One Piece(at least in my experience with people not wanting to get into it other than art reasons and thinking that horrible 4kids adaptation is an accurate depiction of what One Piece really is). They like other series, but may want to pick up One Piece and then encounter some guy who rips on their current favorite series and says it cannot be compared to One Piece. That fellow then either never gives One Piece the time of the day, or gets into it but comes in with a bias against it due to butthurt from said fanboy's comment, and ends up "disliking it". Of course, the former probably happens for every series, but I don't see much of the latter with any authors other than Oda, except for maybe Hiro Mashima when talking about his work ethic. Oda after all gets a lot of respect, which is very much deserved of course.

It's really dumb that some people judge an entire series based on stupid comments like that, but it is one reason why One Piece gets hate, and it's success pisses off those people who are annoyed over stupid comments like that even further. So it's butthurt amplified by envy of One Piece's attention or recognition, if that makes sense lol. Perhaps those people are fanboys of other series, and it's just fanboy backlash from OP fanboys. Alright, I think I've used the word fanboy enough times today....

---------- Post added at 07:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 AM ----------

Oh, come on. That's cheap, exacta. As if Bleach or Naruto fanboys would have never shown up, glorifying their story over One Piece. That was why terms like "Bleachhead" and "Narutard" came up in the first place and were for sure not invented by One Piece fans but manga fans in general. Saying One Piece has the worst fanboys is just lame as excuse for one's own bad behaviour.

Well I certainly did not accuse One Piece fanboys of inventing being annoying on the Internet. However, at least from what I've seen, Naruto forums are civil war right now between people who like the current arc and people who don't, and people who don't like Obito and people who do. Bleach gets pooped on by people all the time just because of Kubo's 'troll king" status lol. One Piece tends to have much healthier discussions in my experience.

---------- Post added at 07:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 AM ----------

One could name: one of the best universe builders in the business, greatest variety in characters and showplaces, faceted plot, capable of combining and moving on with mutiple plot lines, give each arc character and use those arcs to reflect on real world problems. There are a lot of things where Oda shines so brilliantly, where it seems cowardly to blame the fandom for anything..

Yeah I'm not cowardly bro lol. If anything I'm blunt.:verily

Schabrak
April 05, 2014, 10:03 AM
Only idiots use the "it's #1" argument. The rest is a description of fanboys being fanboys and applies to every kind of media/artist.

One Piece tends to have much healthier discussions in my experience.

Yeah I'm not cowardly bro lol. If anything I'm blunt.:verily
It's healthier since it's constantly more entertaining, has fewer down sides, people don't feel fooled, lead around by the nose by the author. Oda is still capable of holding the standard high, doesn't use deus ex machina, but draws onto past characters, is capable of making his story appear like a real epic adventure. And it sure got it's own problems and the fantastic thing is that he knows about them, is capable of adressing them to a degree. Now he is capable of keeping fights short, only showing the important parts as with the Franky being in the Toy House and Usopp facing Trebol/Sguar, until they have their final match and can show off everything instead of having to repeat stuff, waste panels and chapters on fights.

Luckily I don't see those idiotic comments, maybe it stems from me not watching Youtube reviews made by weird people, while also ignoring YT comments, which should be ignored to begin with. They represent the lowest common denominator of intelligence in the internet. :P

M3J
April 05, 2014, 04:27 PM
What I say to people who hate OP is that it's not at least bad like HxH, Toriko, and Fairy Tail seem to be, overall.

exacta
April 05, 2014, 07:13 PM
Only idiots use the "it's #1" argument. The rest is a description of fanboys being fanboys and applies to every kind of media/artist.

It's healthier since it's constantly more entertaining, has fewer down sides, people don't feel fooled, lead around by the nose by the author. Oda is still capable of holding the standard high, doesn't use deus ex machina, but draws onto past characters, is capable of making his story appear like a real epic adventure. And it sure got it's own problems and the fantastic thing is that he knows about them, is capable of adressing them to a degree. Now he is capable of keeping fights short, only showing the important parts as with the Franky being in the Toy House and Usopp facing Trebol/Sguar, until they have their final match and can show off everything instead of having to repeat stuff, waste panels and chapters on fights.

Luckily I don't see those idiotic comments, maybe it stems from me not watching Youtube reviews made by weird people, while also ignoring YT comments, which should be ignored to begin with. They represent the lowest common denominator of intelligence in the internet. :P

I fully agree that only idiots use that argument. Sadly, there are many idiots on the Internet....Youtube is the easiest place to find them, but they are all over the place. Like for example on MangaHere, there's comments below for each chapter. I'm not saying it's a good idea to read such things, but people do, and that's where a lot of the hate for any series comes from lol. I do watch some people review manga/anime. Originally I was just watching Nostalgia Critic, and I guess that led me to looking for manga/anime reviews too...

Cyrs
April 06, 2014, 01:24 AM
I've consistently known people who said they didn't like One Piece. Then I pressured them to endure the first 30-40 episodes (people always want to just watch it rather than read it). They start with many of the same complaints about it looking stupid, childish, etc. But if they watch enough of it, they get hooked.

The series starts off kinda slow, and is really boring in the anime... since the animation is really poor (hardly any frames, overuse of still shots, etc) and the pacing is more drawn-out than even old Dragonball Z episodes. That turns a lot of people off.

But the series has a strong emotional core with endearing characters and adventuresome story arcs. That's what stays with people. And it's the reason why people who once disliked it end up liking it eventually. I'm one of those people, too.

Spenzi
April 07, 2014, 02:51 AM
What I tell to people who hate One Piece?

- Please do us all a favor and k*ll yourself. :)

Schabrak
April 07, 2014, 09:27 AM
What I tell to people who hate One Piece?

- Please do us all a favor and k*ll yourself. :)
Read the post from exacta above (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/53923-What-do-you-say-to-people-who-hate-One-Piece?p=3752724&viewfull=1#post3752724)and see how you have confirmed part of the bad view of OP fans. Thanks for giving us a bad reputation.:epicfacepalm

catagon87
April 07, 2014, 10:49 AM
I try and draw relations between OP and things that they actually do like to show them that there is some common ground. I also like to link AMV's. I keep the funny videos away as most of OP humor requires context.

Ipoopshootingstars
April 07, 2014, 02:04 PM
I ask what kind of drugs they are on and ask where i can find them.

danzouismadara
April 07, 2014, 05:32 PM
Good luck finding something better. One Piece is amazing.

You know nothing John Snow.

Kaishaku
April 08, 2014, 01:30 AM
Really, I say nothing. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Don't pat yourselves on the back for having all those witty comments ready just in case someone dares not to agree with your taste.

Schabrak
April 08, 2014, 02:47 AM
Having an opinion doesn't make it good, right or educated and can be changed for the better or worse . Witty comments have little chance of convincing others though.

Josef K.
April 08, 2014, 03:19 AM
Lets not wander off topic and into insults, discuss the issue at hand with more argumentation please!

Don Chinjao
April 17, 2014, 04:30 AM
Well what will you say to ppl who hate op hm well you cant say anything really isnt that their personal opinion? The best thing is to ignore them

sameel
April 17, 2014, 10:35 AM
Well one piece isnt the kind of manga that can be liked by every single person. Unless u take all the stupid parts in a humourous way.

Madness20
April 18, 2014, 07:32 AM
I don't think one can simply hate One Piece. People claiming to be One Piece haters really never gave a chance to read the whole story, are biased against the art, and are usually fanboys from some other manga that are really unsure on how a "rubber pirate" story can be good, and so they think they hate it, even because One Piece is the best selling manga ever.

I never saw a One Piece "hater" that didn't meet all those characteristics i mentioned.

BetaRuler
April 18, 2014, 07:30 PM
we're still talkin to/about these chumps?

REN KOUEN
April 18, 2014, 08:03 PM
People who know about One Piece that I've met are divided into either

1) love it like it's the best thing in the world (and rightfully so)

OR

2) hate it even though they haven't even watched a single episode.

Okay I've exaggerated #2 abit but the basic and ONLY argument I've seen for people hating One Piece is that - the main character looks so stupid, it looks so kiddish, crappy plot, I can't possibly sit through even 5 minutes of it, it is that bad. (I got this from quite a few people).

What do you say to those people?
Some people (like me at first) see luffy and the artwork and believe its too goofy or cartoony looking

i didnt start liking the show until i saw zoro vs mihawk and didnt live the show until alabaster

but i see why some are turned off at first, unfortunately the judge a book by its cover, and they just never give one piece a chance

most everyone that tries it and watches at least through the arlong stuff loves it

Schabrak
April 18, 2014, 09:21 PM
the show

watches
You are talking about an adaptation of the real work, which can and never will be able fully represent the feeling of reading the actual orginal manga.

REN KOUEN
April 18, 2014, 09:31 PM
You are talking about an adaptation of the real work, which can and never will be able fully represent the feeling of reading the actual orginal manga.

People dont give the manga a chance for the same reasons
if the read up through the arlong park arc, they are usually hooked

but i could see where someone would get bored with the ax hand morgan or alveda or buggy stuff

i believe the manga and anime, both start becoming more interesting when the crew acquires sanji
It starts getting really good during the arlong arc

and it officially becomes great during the alabaster arc

just my opinion

but one piece is a bit slow to start for some fans

VAArmOOs
April 24, 2014, 03:54 AM
Well, when people that dislike manga in general, or that dislike One Piece, try to tell me that I say that One Piece is really good beacuse I'm biased, I say to them:

"I'm not saying One Piece is good because I like it, I like it because it is really awesome and original".

To the Naruto and Bleach fans that tell me that the art is crappy and the story is bad I say: "LOLOLOLOLOLOL"
Any person who has drawn cartoons in general, not necessarily manga will see in studying their styles that One Piece has the most detailed and interesting graphism.
I'm not talking just about the obvious beautifull, more intricate scenarios that OP has, I'm talking aout the characters, Yes, the characters are much more expresive and original. The concept for the creation of each character is much more diverse, the line , shadows work more intricate.
Bleach would be the most anatomically "correct" one. But contrary to common belief, "anatomically correct" is not the same as "better drawn". It means only, more use of real life reference( body anatomy). If realism is for some people, especially manga fans, better drawn, I would like to know if they consider every realism artist to be a better artist than their favourite manga authors.

Every artist is good at what he does, and just because he chose a cartoonish drawing style doesn't mean he draws bad, it means he feels good drawing like that.
And realism artists DO NOT necessarily know how to draw a quick, interesting cartoon, let alone draw without reference.

One Piece is well drawn and its story is the best shonen manga has had in 20 years.

elcongo
May 15, 2014, 08:08 AM
I was one my self, until I gave it a chance, Onepiece was "stupid and weird".After i started reading the manga, i notice it was one of the best mangas out there with a great story and diverse universe. My girlfriend was one too, but she started to read it, and now we watched it together:3c
But to say the least, for people who "hate" one piece, the only thing you just have to tell them is "Watch 3-5 episodes or read 3 chapters" that would make the "hate" fade away.......:super

ProGoddess
May 17, 2014, 08:16 AM
"Who cares!"

This is my answer. I'm not bothered who likes or dislikes One Piece. It has nothing to do with me.

mioluva
May 22, 2014, 02:32 AM
What I say to people who hate OP is that it's not at least bad like HxH, Toriko, and Fairy Tail seem to be, overall.

Hey. The only thing bad about HxH is the author's need to take long breaks. Toriko is good and has the same feel as OP. That's probably why it has crossed-over multiple times with OP. I guess it wouldn't appeal to some because the main characters are grown-ups as opposed to usual shounen heroes in their teens. As for FT.... I admit the story is sub-par but I really like its art especially in later arcs where it evolves into its own thing. :D

REN KOUEN
May 22, 2014, 09:36 AM

well i guess i was talking about the anime, but the same holds true for the manga, it doesnt get really good until a few chapters in,

there is just nothing compelling about buggy the clown, alveda and ax hand morgan

if anything i would say that at the baratie restaurant or whatever it was called when the crew added sanji, and we got to see mihawk at the end, that is when the manga started getting good

Anduren
May 23, 2014, 09:25 AM
if anything i would say that at the baratie restaurant or whatever it was called when the crew added sanji, and we got to see mihawk at the end, that is when the manga started getting good

That's incidentally where I 1st got introduced/interested in One Piece as well. Having gone back to watch/read it from the beginning, I agree with this statement. If I had started out at the 1st chapter or 1st episode instead, I probably wouldn't have gone to chapter 2 or episode 2 out of a lack of interest. For most people who aren't constantly going around looking for new manga to try out, their 1st introduction to most manga is through their exposure of the anime (if and whenever that happens) and the kind of expression that leaves on them affects a lot how they judge it and decide if it's interesting or not.

I think it takes a healthy interest in adventure and mystery to really like One Piece more than the typical shounen battle scenes because the meat of it's content is the plot revolving around the Void Century, and whats at the end of the Grand Line which is why I think the end of Arabasta was the point where I couldn't wait for the next episode/chapter to come out. But I've also seen people complain about the humor and goofiness (or lack of seriousness) in some of the confrontations too.

M3J
May 23, 2014, 01:27 PM
Hey. The only thing bad about HxH is the author's need to take long breaks. Toriko is good and has the same feel as OP. That's probably why it has crossed-over multiple times with OP. I guess it wouldn't appeal to some because the main characters are grown-ups as opposed to usual shounen heroes in their teens. As for FT.... I admit the story is sub-par but I really like its art especially in later arcs where it evolves into its own thing. :D

Nah, the worst thing about HxH is its fanbase (not everyone) and how they defend Togashi taking breaks. One fan even claimed Naruto was based off HxH despite how different both are (at least in the beginning). I've read Toriko, and it was too unappealing, but I guess I could say the same about OP too at the start.

Has nothing to do with grown-ups though, you pervy-chan. :teehee

hokageji
May 23, 2014, 01:43 PM
its hard to convince people to watch one piece.....

One Piece seems kiddish and non cool. First episode of Naruto, you see flying knives, clone techniques, changing forms etc while One Piece shows a boy who can stretch and punches an ugly woman, not as cool at that point.

THe problem with One Piece is takes too long to get cool. I didn't like it till episode 38 or 39 while naruto seemed epic around 15 or 16. It really takes off after grand line begins, but with 600 episodes, no body would wanna start watching....

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

HxH goes on hibernation...... how can anyone defend that?

Deus Machina
May 29, 2014, 11:37 PM
I tell them that I accept them since there is no such thing as a OP hater. It is simply a fan in denial. The have lost faith in Goda and it is up to me as a missionary to reedem their lost souls.

Super Sonic
June 03, 2014, 06:29 AM
Thoughts?

I only got into One Piece last summer so I don't share any of the hardcore fanboyism that many have for watching it for years...

I can certainly say that it has gone to shit and it is only around due to fan loyalty.

The current arc is a prime example of everything that is wrong with One Piece.

Having lived in Japan, I guess certain information is available there in contrary to everywhere else.

Winlyx-chan
June 24, 2014, 05:35 PM
I actually used to be one of these people. So I can relate to some who don't like it. My biggest problem was crappy drawings, I'm a girl and had plenty of other series I thought were much better where one piece is mostly a male fan base, and the fact that one piece originally had horrible voice actors with a terrible dub when it first came to America (4Kids). I didn't give it a chance till one of my college buddies told me I had to check it out. I like a bit of drama mixed in and he told me to start with the Arlong ark. I kinda got hooked from there went back and watched the rest. Though I won't lie I have skipped a couple fillers episode wise and didn't start reading the manga till around Impel Down.