PDA

View Full Version : Powers Haki alternative?

RichardMNixon
October 07, 2009, 12:57 AM
Smoker referred to being struck by Hancock as Kuja Haki. Assuming this is a good translation, there's still some open questions.

Are the Kuja the only people who practice haki, are they just well known for it, or is there's just a special variety of it?

If the former, note that WB, Jimbei, and Joz were all able to strike logia-users. If haki is unique to Amazon Lily, have all three of them visited there OR are there other methods of striking logia users? Could Joz just be so incredibly powerful that Croc's dispersion can't fully protect him?

I ask because if it's renowned as a Kuja art, I could certainly see Roger's crew visiting Amazon Lily just as they did Sky Island; but for WB, Joz, Jimbei, and even Sentoumaru to have visited Amazon Lily seems a stretch. So did they learn Haki independent of the Kuja or is there another way to strike logias?

On the other hand, WB's crew and the giant in Rayleigh's cell were familiar with haki, so maybe it just is more widespread than Amazon Lily.

kkck
October 07, 2009, 01:33 AM
I think that was mentioned because the kuja are notorious for the use of haki, not because they have their own particular kind of it. It has been implied that there are several types of haki but it would seem as if the type of haki depended on individuals(hence why so few have the kings haki), not on something as arbitrary as a nation.

Haki is defintely used and known outside amazon lili. We have not seen much of it but I would think anyone who gets a certain degree of strength can naturally develop it and eventually use it(luffy being the best example of this, although he has yet to reach the using it part). We know for a fact that haki is what allows people to hurt logias so I would think at the very least most of the top pirates and marines around can use it to some degree. IMHO it should be taken for granted that garp, mihawk, WB and shanks can use it. Then there would be a few who would be fairly reasonable assumptions such as sengoku, the admirals(i'd be dumb if the admirals can't hurt other logia users directly IMHO lol), jozu and marco, shank's VC, a few of WB commanders. The kuja's are simply the only ones to use it on a large scale, outside of the kuja it is probably limited to some very strong pirates and marines.

Razh
October 07, 2009, 03:48 AM
I think that at least Smoker doesn't know of anyone who uses Haki beside Kuja pirates. That's why he called it Kuja Haki.
Let's say Luffy commented how Boas were predicting his moves. He could have asked - Is this Skypiean mantra?, for example, because that's the only place where he has seen it.

I wouldn't go too deep into different Haki types, especially based on the national differences, like kkck said.

deffkryz
October 07, 2009, 06:40 AM
Well... Just to talk large([1]): Since languages shouldn't be translated literally "Kuja no Haki ka...?" (http://mangahelpers.com/downloads/read-online/56266/15) might also mean: "So that's the haki those Kuja are famous for?" (although, shouldn't he have said there "Kujajin no Haki ka...?" instead? ö_Ö) Plz, translators correct me if I'm very wrong. :p

Hopefully Oda goes into further detail how Haki works - all we know is that some haki can give the ability to either knock out weaker ones (Shanks, Rayleigh, Luffy), or to predict an opponent's attack (Sandersonia's words), or to hit an intangible logia (Rayleigh vs. Kizaru), or to strengthen an attack (Luffy vs. BB).

BlackHair
October 07, 2009, 06:42 AM
I think that was mentioned because the kuja are notorious for the use of haki, not because they have their own particular kind of it. It has been implied that there are several types of haki but it would seem as if the type of haki depended on individuals(hence why so few have the kings haki), not on something as arbitrary as a nation. I couldn't agree more.

There seem to be classifications such as in "kings haki" and other yet unknown. But "kuja haki" doesn't seem to be one of those classification. I rather think that Smoker referred - as kkck already said - to the notorious haki of the kuja women. Kuja seems to be known for their haki, that's why they are probably referred to.