PDA

View Full Version : Question Recent "Decline" of One Piece on the TOC

SameOld
October 21, 2009, 10:52 AM
Funny I'm getting the exact same feeling about OP as you two.Don't care if this war is supposed to be epic or whatever, it's boring me to death. No surprise Naruto and Gintama have been snatching OP's first place so frequently lately.

Googlez_kun
October 21, 2009, 10:56 AM
actually naruto allready surpassed one piece in the average rankings here:http://hamada.tsukaeru.info/jump/2009/jump0947.html

StrangerAtaru
October 21, 2009, 12:19 PM
I guess it's all impression in my head. I've loved the war in OP and think that Naruto has been atrocious...but that's just me I guess.

Rainier
October 21, 2009, 12:42 PM
OP was probably surpassed because the crew hasn't appear in almost what now? 6-7 months?

We fans miss the original cast xD

Xadyu
October 21, 2009, 12:46 PM
OP was probably surpassed because the crew hasn't appear in almost what now? 6-7 months?

That could be it yeah, I don't particular have that feeling, but it might just be an unconscious thing. Besides. the new characters that are introduced aren't even that intresting.

Rejuvenation
October 21, 2009, 12:56 PM

The ironic thing is that recent volumes of the series have been selling more than ever. So even if One Piece hasn't been getting #1 as much in the magazine rankings, I highly doubt Oda is worried over it.

◆ T.D.A ◆
October 21, 2009, 01:25 PM
New volumes selling more doesn't necessarily mean people like the stuff in the volume more, it could be just as time goes on naturally more people are going to get interested and read the series, afterall kids don't stop coming into the population.

Googlez_kun
October 21, 2009, 01:30 PM
New volumes selling more doesn't necessarily mean people like the stuff in the volume more, it could be just as time goes on naturally more people are going to get interested and read the series, afterall kids don't stop coming into the population.

plus,most of the of the people who are new on one piece don't buy the first volumes,they rather buy the most recent volumes,especially in OP's case!so it's only natural that the older volumes suck in sales against the new ones,since the new and the old audience buy the new volumes and only the old bought the old volumes

◆ T.D.A ◆
October 21, 2009, 02:06 PM
actually naruto allready surpassed one piece in the average rankings here:http://hamada.tsukaeru.info/jump/2009/jump0947.html

Avergae rankings doesn't really matter as One Piece has had weeks off.

Googlez_kun
October 21, 2009, 02:10 PM
Avergae rankings doesn't really matter as One Piece has had weeks off.

but it still has like 100 more chapters,so those few issues absent don't make a real difference

Akainu
October 21, 2009, 02:22 PM
ummm, it depends on what you look at?! if you want to know the average TOC ranking of the chapter in a given year it makes a huge diffrence if one title misses four times as many issues as the other, that then takes #1.

that aside, One Piece declining in the TOC may have reasons in the manga itself, like the crew missing, a chaotic setup for the war and "unknown predictability", but there are surely other reasons, like Naruto being in it's tenth year and maybe even the editors giving other series a chance to be on top and thus giving Oda a little rest.

Darkever
October 21, 2009, 04:33 PM
Actually, I don't see anything wrong in One Piece. While it may be true that the last few chapters haven't been too exciting, probably because of Luffy basically skipping all fights (Moria, Smoker and now Mihawk), the manga has been at its best since Shambody Archipelago.

But then, if people can like so much a crap manga like what Naruto has become, maybe there's something wrong with the readers. No offense here: I read Naruto, too, but there's simply no comparison between it and One Piece.

◆ T.D.A ◆
October 21, 2009, 04:53 PM
I blame it on the war not living up to expectations, and it seems like it would have been better if Luffy didn't come in so soon, the level kinda dropped when he did, fanservice without service.

But then, if people can like so much a crap manga like what Naruto has become, maybe there's something wrong with the readers.

That's one of the most overused and naive arguments people use in forums, because it works both ways, who's to say there is a problem with the readers and people like OP even though it's "crap", it's subjective.

Rainier
October 21, 2009, 06:42 PM
I'm just going to tell you that I miss the 'old' One Piece. I miss Zoro, Sanji's jokes, Brook's music, Nami way of thinking..., I miss the relationship between all the main characters.
What we have now is basically:
A crew of gay people (no offense), then a crew of stupid prisoners, and now a very disorganized war.

Some scenes are good of course but honestly I can't wait for it to end already.

bittman
October 21, 2009, 09:52 PM
Does this include the fact that One Piece has taken two breaks in the space of about two months?

Though I do agree with people who said it was overhyped. Most of it has just been Whitebeard, Doflamingo and Luffy.

Dragon Walker
October 22, 2009, 11:57 AM
It doesn't really help that we haven't had any long duels with a proper conclusion (One beats the other, no running, draws or paw paw fruiting.) since... Thriller Bark?

Let's see...
-Shabondy ending in paw paw fruiting.
-The snake sister were not even in the same league as Ruffy.
-Pretty much everyone in Impel Down except Magellan was run over. And of course, Magellan ran over everyone else.
-This war has yet to see any proper, finished duels.

Kinda miss those, especially since I didn't like Thriller Bark. I think were about to see an end to that though.

Gats
October 22, 2009, 01:24 PM
I don't feel it like a decline. It's a change from the eternal "crew arrives in a new island, crew fights an enemy" even if it was never boring, and this "solo" adventure isn't supposed to last for a long time so we don't have to worry. More importantly, the end of this war will open a new exciting adventure.

hdiuy
October 23, 2009, 07:17 AM
I don't feel like its declining, i prefer the current war over TB; currently its more exciting. Statistics are always changing and it would be nearly impossible to get a poll for all japanese readers. I like One Piece as my favourate manga , and it doesn't really matter (for me) if it gets beaten once in a while or to some manga that i think is better then One Piece.

Xadyu
October 23, 2009, 08:39 AM
I prefer the current war over TB too, but I disliked TB just as much as I hate this war.

Still can't figure out why people consider this "One Piece at it's Best", cause One Piece had better moments in the manga. Ever since Water 7/Enies Lobby the level of One Piece dropped dramatically (imo).

zelllogan
October 23, 2009, 03:37 PM
The manga is now in his phase "go to another level / power up /..." which is always dangerous for the overall quality. Every shounen go through that phase and it's always poorer afterwards. But in one piece, we avoid a main character becoming stronger than anyone in no time because of plotkai or plot no jutsu ...

keydude
October 23, 2009, 06:06 PM
I guess it's all impression in my head. I've loved the war in OP and think that Naruto has been atrocious...but that's just me I guess.

Right there with you. IMO One Piece has been building wonderfully, setting the stage (plotwise) for some huge huge stuff when the war's over. My thoughts on Naruto are similar, and in the spoiler tags because it is a little off topic.

Naruto (which has been doing roughly the same thing, in terms of plot building) has seemed rushed, scattered and last minute. It doesn't feel like Oda made the plot up as he went, but Naruto kinda has a "I didn't know exactly where I was going with all this, but I just figured it out and here ya go" feel.

Which makes me very sad to say :( I love Naruto.

And I love One Piece. And this arc has been ridiculously epic - a turning point for the plot cleverly executed.

beastboy
October 23, 2009, 08:18 PM
Wow.. maybe CP9 arc was boring when it was the time where they were always changing fighters..
Or when it was ends of water 7 in that train... luffy 1 chapter stuck between 2 buildings....
It just didn't look boring cause everytime I finished a chapter I started a new one!!
[hr]
ps: CP9 arc was 2 years or more... so we are just in the beggining of that big wave ^^ in proportion..

And I think this war will be biiigg.. but that the straw hats will join at some point!!

zerocooldx
October 24, 2009, 07:32 PM
One Piece hasn't even reached it's peak yet. As opposed to Naruto who is basically at it's peak at this moment, or right below it. So those results are somewhat understandable. But if people want really accurate stats then they should wait for the end of the year results. Either way OP is going to take the title of the top selling and top rated manga is history before it's all said and done. It's basically inevitable at this point. And thats the only stat that really counts.

Shiro-kun
October 24, 2009, 08:18 PM
I dont see the concern that much, its just a slight drop that can be easily recovered in due time its not like the sales just became atrocious and nearly dropped several places in the top ten manga besides maybe OP just needs a break from number one spot (even its just a spot or two down )

StrangerAtaru
October 25, 2009, 09:37 AM
I think that considering the Naruto anniversary and the climax of the series approaching, it seems higher. Yet at the same time, it's quality has never been there...personally I say never but it just had a bit more earlier than the train wreck it is now. But people are more obsessed with flash and pizazz without story, such as with Naruto or Bleach...as opposed to a mangaka who knows what he's doing and has everything meticulously planned, even with troubles like missing his crew and merely one cog in a massive, series-changing war.

Shiro-kun
October 25, 2009, 02:26 PM
Its a matter of opinion how and where those stories are going, but i do agree that Naruto is indeed reaching its climax or quite close to it and it could be a reason why its above One Piece right now .. not the recent arcs (which i think has been great) of One Piece.

ZenoArmani
October 25, 2009, 06:50 PM
I don't think there is a decline. I liked both the Supernovae, and the current Whitebeard arcs (the second has real potential in the anime format, if it shows all the battles going on at the same time more thoroughly), and sort of liked the prison escape story. I didn't care much for the Enel or Thriller Park arcs though. Sure, I thought that WB vs WG would be a bit more epic, but it's still been excellent. It's incredibly hard for an author to handle so many characters at the same time, so Oda is doing fine given that.

toxun
October 28, 2009, 03:19 AM
Likes & Taste often very subjective. I like One Piece for years. It is for me.

BetaRuler
October 28, 2009, 05:09 AM
i think i at least prefer this, than to how Bleach handled their "epic war"...

and about Oda not showing a single fight drawn out to the end since Thriller bark? Looks to me that he might be trying out for a new style to approach the story, trying to set a new trend, because battlefields in life don't usually do lots of intense duels between legendary characters! That's just my guess anyway, he might be trying to set a new trend instead of just doing things same old... Which would be very hard to do right now since there are so many characters running around this Whitebeard war, it'd be hard to focus on anyone.

And think, after this arc, wont it be hard on Oda to keep making crews of characters as unique and interesting as he did when he made the Gecko's crew? And CP9? Luffy's crew has climbed up to 9 characters now, so he might be trying to figure out a way to make epic fights between crews without always having to introduce opposing crews in equal numbers and unique characters.

Razh
October 28, 2009, 06:20 AM
I don't think Oda is trying to set some trend. He's portraying a large scale battle as it should be. Battles are chaotic, unexpected things happen all the time, opponents keep changing, fights are being interrupted all the time. Add in the devil fruits and it becomes even more chaotic. Also, the pirates objective is to save Ace so it comes more important than individual duels.

It's ridiculous to compare this to Bleach Winter War. That's more like a shootout at OK coral. Except it wasn't that boring and it lasted less than a minute. And had more gunmen.:p
It was ridiculous how some guys picked out their opponents. "You called me names" or "whatcha staring at".
In this battle, people fight who they have to in order to fulfill their end goal.

I guess Naruto and Bleach match the taste of japanese readers more. After all, one is about samurai and another about ninjas. There's the drawing style too.
Can't wait for One Piece to finally become number one.

slippy
October 28, 2009, 07:42 AM
totally agree with razh above with the comments about war being hectic.
i'd also like to suggest why people aren't really enjoying the recent arc(s) of one piece. first of all, the fact that the rest of the strawhats are absent play a huge role in why one piece may not feel like one piece to some. also, the hectic-ness of the war carries over to the mentality of the whole story overall. since sabaody, i have felt like the story has been rushed, but it has to be and might seem more suitable when it goes to anime format. luffy needs to rush or else he could lose ace. therefore, i think the quick pace is perfect for what is going on. luffy skipping fights and oda not keying in on certain people dueling, thats fine because the main objective is ace. i'm just waiting for the screeching halt at the end (a death....maybe =/)
so yea, to all the people who may not be enjoying one piece right now, just sit back and enjoy it. has oda let us down before? i'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope that this arc lives up to at least some of the hype that everyone on this website has thrusted onto it
also, fights are not the only things to make one piece exciting

ps: i miss nami soooooo much

beastboy
October 28, 2009, 06:36 PM
I really agree with Razh!
Its a war!
And I have read some people saying they don't like that Luffy is allways facing strong guys and 2 pages after being saved!
But thats to prove something that he said in a certain park in the beginning of the series:
He needs nakama, without nakama he is NOTHING..
So even if is crew isn't present he finds new teammates and rocks it all to the top!

But hell yeah.. this arc is suited for an anime!!
If the drawings and animation are OK with no still shots, this arc will be amazing..
a chaotic scene with people falling every second.. T_T impressive!
And in other series Wars have 20 people max.
but here it gives you the feeling of War... just like in 300 but here there isn't that handicap!! ahah
[hr]

A crew of gay people (no offense), then a crew of stupid prisoners, and now a very disorganized war.

Is a war meant to be ornganized???
Actually this IS A WAR... and it gives the exact same feeling as in Code Geass except that this are my favorite characters...

I do miss the crew and that relaxment of the ship... we badly now the thousand sunny, but this is needed..
Cause this isn't a story to make the shounen fans happy cause its allways the way they liked (like the soap opera's are designed in a way that the house wifes feel that it has a good end)... its a journey of an hero.. named Luffy, in a journey you can fight a hax handed marine, a stupid clown, a smart pirate, a silly pirate with loads of guns, a fish(man), a wale, a candle(man), a crocodile, a hiena (with weird legs), god him self, a bunch of cp9's, Zombies and Dracula, A bear, light, a fatguy, snakes, a guy with diharrea....
you have happy moments, you have sad moments, hilarious things, horrible things, some times you're near your nakama's, some times you don't, but that doesn't matters cause you'll just have to move forward follow your dreams and above everything be HAPPY and FREE!!

isn't that whats happening?? So I steel love one piece!

Razh
October 28, 2009, 07:10 PM
Yeah, it's funny reading about disorganized war.
It's not even a war, it's a battle. Who's going to organize it? It's not the World Cup so that it will be known who gets to fight who.
It's a rescue operation dressed as a battle. Nobody is going to wait for some duels to finish. And a lot of attacks catch multiple opponents. Lot of powerful pirates and marines can't go all out without killing a lot of their allies.

I'd really like to know how people who complained about this battle would "organize" things and create a feel of a real battle that doesn't look like a game of chess. Oda is doing a pretty good job.
Strawhats will come back together eventually. These aren't the ending chapters and there are quite a lot of uncovered mysteries. At least we know what happened to them and the dragging of some parts isn't nearly as boring as in Bleach or Naruto sometimes.

There's even two unknown Yonkou, and an unexplored (for SH) part of the world. There are limitless possibilities, unlike in Naruto and Bleach. In One Piece, all of the mayor players were hinted gradually and in a believable way. In Bleach, there was no villain until Aizen started his plan and he's the only one so far. In Naruto, things are pretty much set up and there shouldn't be much surprises on the identity of final villains.

In One Piece there are OPTIONS. Anything can happen after the current battle. You actually have a feeling that the entire world is a playground. It's all connected and the events on one side of the planet can cause a disaster on the other side.

In Naruto, there are a few countries on a continent. I long for new countries and new nations with different abilities which would make the story more epic, but chances are slim.

Bleach has 3 main locations so far. Karakura town, Soul Society and Hueco Mundo. Sometimes, with it's setting, it feels like an evolved Sailor Moon. Just think about it for a second, lol.

As I see it, Naruto and Bleach lack some of the epic feel that One Piece has. I guess it's a matter of personal preferences.

I'm going to bed. This damned post kept me up longer than I planned.

beastboy
October 29, 2009, 01:31 PM
^
Oh yeah!
One Piece is kind off different from bleach and naruto... (not saying it is worse, but IMO it is worse :D) is that in bleach there are 6 possibilitys max... (aizen gets owned, aizen owns, ichigo appears in FK, with everyone/alone/with 1 person), and if SS wins, its an happy ending.. if aizen loses, Bye bye karakura, hello land of the king... naruto the same... but a bit more!!
In One piece we all know whats going to happen in the end.. but there are infinite that can happen until that end...
WB can die, WB can live, Ace can die, no one will die, WB can win, WB can loose, WB can die but win, and what will happen if some one wins.. can some one intervain!!
And even 500 persons in a forum can't get it right the most of the time!
(I alone get 2 theorys of naruto right.. or better one and a half.. kisame wasn't defeated by the bear :( )

And if they do get it right... c'mon we are 500 people if one don't gets it right from time to time is cause we are extremly unlucky!

And c'mon.. how can One Piece be always on the Top if KHR and Naruto are always having covers and colour pages!!

Akainu
October 29, 2009, 02:27 PM
if those manga get the cover/colour pages, they are usually considered unranked by many TOC-followers, so that'd be one of the weeks OP get's first place unless there are even more manga in front of it.
on the other hand, OP doesn't have to be up in the TOC to be good, as I said some posts ago, there are much more influences than howthe story goes etc.

Razh
October 30, 2009, 10:15 AM
You know, I get why some people miss seeing some characters in real duels. All those squad leaders, pirate captains, vice-admirals... It would certainly be interesting.
But come on, If Oda did this battle Bleach style, Luffy and the escapees would still be on the top of that frozen wave in the current chapter.
And it wouldn't feel like a real battle. Compared to the battle at Marineford, Bleach Winter War feels like a puppet theater. Like the author can't control more than 2 or 3 people at once.

firework
October 30, 2009, 09:43 PM
i cant believe everyone hates the war so much
I LOVE IT
its the best arc ive ever read, packed with excitement and action
sure the old crew was nice, but luffy's step into the higher world is cool too. His skipping of the fights were all very logical. his goal is to rescue ace, not bust through every enemy he meets. besides he'd get owned by the majority of them.

i dont feel the war was overhyped at all. Its living up to my expectations perfectly, even moreso in fact

Bugzee
October 31, 2009, 08:17 PM
You need patience to get into a manga like OP, well for me it was the case! Im talking about from chapter 1!

I've always needed to be in a certain mood in order to try a new manga or anime! But after like the tenth chapter i got into it!!! OP has so many mysteries that have yet to be explained and revealed, so many side stories that are important as well! It really does remind me when i first watched all of DB and DBZ! The way in which it draws your attention and leaves you hanging!! lol

But in regards to TOC, i guess with Manga/Anime like Naruto and Bleach people/viewers/readers tend to grasp that whole theme/story quicker. (imo) That doesnt mean OP is hard to understand, i just feel that people just dont give it a chance to go deep into it!

hisoga
October 01, 2010, 06:49 AM
what a weird thread... lol
just for fun.. all one piece volume during this war selling like crazy..

beastboy
October 02, 2010, 07:38 PM
Well, this was posted some time ago, when One Piece was going down mainly because Oda did a pause every 2 weeks!
But One Piece never left the first place (excluding the times where popular manga's get color pages, but if One Piece beat that it would be overkill)!

外国人
October 02, 2010, 08:52 PM
I don't think the people around here take too kindly to grave digging.:amuse

That said, there is no "decline" of One Piece in the TOC.

Pipio
October 04, 2010, 01:59 AM
I can't imagine the decline in OP being too big.

The only reason naruto would take a higher spot than OP is because the Naruto has been building up alot of dramatic events after another and looks like its about to have another climax.

One piece finished it's mini climax with the war and needs time to build up another climax with the original cast of crew together in the new world.

elitefox
October 04, 2010, 02:47 AM
I don't feel like its declining, i prefer the current war over TB; currently its more exciting. Statistics are always changing and it would be nearly impossible to get a poll for all japanese readers. I like One Piece as my favourate manga , and it doesn't really matter (for me) if it gets beaten once in a while or to some manga that i think is better then One Piece.

Yeah it is really good to know that it declines once in a while..

Like Monkey D. Dragon said:

"Everyone was simply put to ease to know their mysterious boss really is a human with blood flowing through his veins"

"Every mangaka was simply put to ease to know that ODA really is a human with blood flowing through his veins" :p

Goty
October 05, 2010, 09:09 AM
what a weird thread... lol
just for fun.. all one piece volume during this war selling like crazy..

Heh, yeah. This thread becomes completely irrelevant the instant you see the actual numbers.

kingasas33
October 05, 2010, 12:09 PM
dont worry....OP still have half of the whole story to be tell...but naruto and bleach is coming to end...the WB n WG war is just another step for one piece to becoming greatest manga ever created...so much unpredictable and surprise....(that why we more then 500s follower this forum never can really predict what happened next)....no one really knows...that what make it one piece...manga craziest world(exp naruto: ninja world,bleach:death world)... until know i still can not simplified what kind world OP is.....

i want to live in one piece!!!!!!!!!:darn