PDA

View Full Version : Gold Knight's Ten Comments (Naruto 328)

Gold Knight
October 20, 2006, 07:57 AM
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/8356/00yt01lw8.png
Oh, what could've been...

Well, here we are; the unthinkable has happened. One of the saddest chapters of Naruto I've ever read. Well, actually, it's probably the saddest ever.

Thanks to Winterlion, Yoshitsune, and byakuya2 for getting the early translations out for the chapter, and Yume and NarutoBuzz for providing us quick scanlations. I'll be using NarutoBuzz's cleanings for this chapter.

* * * Gold Knight's Ten Comments on Naruto Chapter 328: Team 10. * * *

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/5033/untitled2hf5.png
Despicable, isn't he?

1. Drop Dead, Will Ya, Hidan? Okay, I'll tell ya what. I don't like Hidan so much anymore. But no, not because he dealt the final blow to Asuma. Ninjas die in battle all the time. Well, yeah, usually they're the bad guys in Naruto, but as we all found out, occasionally a good guy does go down, as was the unfortunate case here.

But Hidan's total cocky disrespect to them all afterwards was just extremely disgusting to see. Especially to a group of shinobi that very nearly had the best of him if not for Kakuzu.

I do regret that I ever wished that he'd probably survive this battle. He has now become the first Naruto character I've ever disliked, and I now sincerely wish that he HAD been defeated for good in this battle, so that Asuma's sacrifice wouldn't have felt so quite like it had been for nothing. But at the same time, never before have the Narutoverse suddenly felt so real to me as in this chapter. Most bad guys don't really care a bit about showing respect for their opponents, and Hidan ungracefully falls into that category. He's really more like a street punk than any other character who's appeared in the Narutoverse since Mizuki.

So if Kishimoto intended for Hidan to appear as an obvious representative of the evil of the Akatsuki organization in order to show precisely the reason why they all need to be stopped and defeated, he certainly succeeded in my case.

Sidenote: Note that Hidan mentioned the Leader, which confirmed that it was indeed the AL that called to them last chapter. Kakuzu was also picking up Hidan's belongings (at least his forehead protector) at the start of the first page. Wonder if they remembered Hidan's pendant. I still think there's something about it, although maybe not.

Another thing, Hidan seemed to want to come back right away, but I think he probably meant that they'd be invading Konohagakure soon enough and he'd be looking for them. Either way, that'll definitely put Konoha on guard for sure.

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/7301/02v2iv2.jpg
Not the best prognosis ever.

2. Futile effort. First of all, I really don't want to hear anybody complaining about Ino's healing ability. Four vital points? Asuma was done for, and not even Tsunade would have been able to heal him. Tsunade's lost patients in probably similiar circumstances (Dan). And since Ino didn't receive any instructions from the Godaime, I doubt she's anywhere as good as Sakura in terms of medical ninjutsu.

Now, what I'm wondering is exactly how Hidan struck four vital points with one strike to his chest with a spear? Is even such a thing possible? I'm not much of a medical expert, so if anybody wants to add more to this, post away.

Edit: kiddo7 and Robotic Red reminded me that Asuma was also affected by the scythe hitting Hidan in the stomach. Thus, he was probably hit in the kidneys, lungs, heart.. and who knows what else. Thanks, guys.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6583/03jp5.jpg
Hey, you DID save Shikamaru's butt once.

3. Father Knew Best...? Here we have full circle back to when Asuma was gazing at his father's tombstone and thinking about what the Third had done for Konohagakure, and coming to a better understanding of why he had sacrificed so much. Once again as Asuma was nearing his own death here, he's possibly thinking about how he had fallen short of the expectations and heroics of his father.

I'm not sure that we'll ever be supposed to know exactly the specifics of Asuma's seemingly strained relationship with his father, but even though he had said back then that he had no regrets, I don't think he was ready to die this soon, either. Poor guy. Never seen Asuma so vulnerable as he seemed to be in this panel.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/5404/04za5.jpg
( But it's okay if you keep tying her, btw. ^^; )

4. Asuma's Final Words to Ino. Final words are always important. It's the last thing they'll ever hear from their sensei, so... I'm dedicating three comments to them. They may all also result in further character development for the rest of Team 10, as well.

"Ino... You're very confident, but you know how to take care of yourself. Chouji and Shikamaru, these guys are kind of clumsy, so take care of them. And... don't you lose to Sakura... in ninjutsu or in love."

I think Asuma knew that Ino's deepest desire was obviously to surpass Sakura and he was trying to encourage her to never fall into despair and keep pushing herself.

And although I still feel that Shikamaru is by far the de facto leader of the group, I don't blame Asuma for singling Ino out as the one who knows best how to take care of herself. Ino may in fact have to take up the slack in order to keep both guys improving themselves. I remember when Ino was so earnestly cheering Shikamaru on in the Chuunin Exams, and she was also just as strict as Asuma about Chouji's need to stay in shape.

So I think more than anybody in the team, Asuma may have seen himself the most in Ino. Doesn't mean they were the closest, of course.

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/8057/05fo2.jpg
Well, it was worth a try.

5. Asuma's Final Words to Chouji. And now, Chouji.

"Chouji... you're a gentle guy who thinks of his friend's feelings... that's why... you'll become a stronger ninja than anyone... always believe in yourself. That and... you could go on a small diet..."

That one got a tear-eyed chuckle out of me. Even dying, Asuma still teased Chouji a bit about losing some weight. I think that was actually the most affectionate moment in the whole chapter.

Wasn't surprised by Asuma's confidence in Chouji, though. I'm really glad that Asuma reminded Chouji that the path to true strength wasn't really by attempting to become even more physically powerful, but by being a strong and gentle spirit. That's something Chouji has always been. And more than everybody else in the group, I think Chouji needed the most to hear these words from Asuma: "Always believe in yourself."

Considering that Chouji was hurt so often by Asuma's harsh words, I felt at least happy for him here.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1503/06hs5.jpg
Whew, must've been a persistent guy to keep trying.

6. Asuma's Final Words to Shikamaru. And Asuma saved Shikamaru for last, to no one's surprise.

"And you, Shikamaru... you have a sharp mind, and your sense as a ninja, is good... these abilities might even make you... into Hokage... well... to a complainer like you... cough... it might be too much of a pain. You know... I never once managed to beat you in shougi..."

Pretty much confirmed what all Shikamaru fans feel too, that the kid could be Hokage if only he had the passion for it. But perhaps Asuma's words here will spur him on and make him want to be more, but I doubt it. At the very least, though, Shikamaru could possibly try harder just to make his sensei proud of himself now. I guarantee he'll definitely feel much more protective of the village now, especially against guys like Hidan.

And ouch, NEVER ONCE has Asuma beaten Shikamaru in shougi. Well, I'm not too surprised by that, but boy, Asuma must have found that a real challenge, just trying to win a game, if he was still betting on the outcome even recently. Heh...

Although Asuma and Shikamaru may have been polar opposites in their attitudes, it's pretty cool that they ended up being the closest.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1723/07ix7.jpg
...that's why you brought all these flowers...!

7. Who's the King? I'm beginning to think it's not the village, after all. As readers of my previous Comments might remember, I had figured that Asuma was trying to follow in his father's footsteps to protect Konohagakure at all costs. But that went out the window here. Why would that be any kind of big secret that Asuma would wait until the last moment to tell Shikamaru, and why would it surprise him so much?

And it may have not been Kurenai either. As revealed in the flashbacks later on, the kids probably pretty much knew that Asuma and Kurenai were secretly going out together. Wouldn't have made Shikamaru blink at all, either. (Unless, of course, he's even more dense than I thought about romance.) Unless Asuma happened to mention something about Kurenai that surprised him... but I don't think so.

The popular thinking among the fans is that the king was Naruto, and I'm beginning to agree with them now. That may indeed be true after all. Shikamaru would certainly be surprised by that revelation, especially if as some have suspected, he never knew of the Kyuubi being inside his friend. And certainly, Naruto is indeed going to be the primary target of the Akatsuki at some point; he's the piece that Konohagakure wants at all costs to keep from being checkmated.

Only problem I have is that when Asuma was playing the shougi game with Shikamaru, he couldn't have been in the least concerned about the Akatsuki. They hadn't heard from them in over two and a half years until when Tsunade summoned the twenty brigades and informed them of the fall of the Fire Temple.

And I can't believe that Asuma would just think automatically of Naruto at that point unless he's been told by Jiraiya or Tsunade that he had to keep him from being captured.

But if it's Naruto, then Shikamaru's surprise may have been because he finally realized why Asuma was so willing to help Naruto out with wind manipulation. Yeah, despite Naruto's agreement to foot the next dinner bill. (Wonder if that'll be coming up, still...)

Crackhead Theory of the Week: But if NOT Naruto, then let me mention the only other possibility that I thought about. If Asuma still had been thinking on a more personal level, could it have been somebody related to Konohamaru? (Remember him?)

As we know now, Asuma was Sandaime's son, and Konohamaru was his grandson. I don't believe that Konohamaru's father is Asuma at all (probably uncle), but perhaps the Sarutobi clan view one of their relatives as being the next in line to take up the mantle as leader of the family, and perhaps of the village as well. Perhaps Konohamaru's real father, or mother. Either way.

Even Konohamaru may be a possibility, though. I still feel that Kishimoto has plenty in mind to write especially considering Konohamaru, sort of like how DBZ creator Akira Toriyama went from Goku to Gohan. Especially since Konohamaru declared himself as Naruto's rival early on in the story, and that may play a part sometimes later on.

Of course, these theories are just if the King ISN'T Naruto. And if it isn't Kurenai, either, with some kind of startling revelation.

We certainly have an intriguing mystery on our hands here...!

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/3307/08gc4.jpg
Enjoy, Asuma-sensei.

8. One Last Smoke. This weird thought came to me after seeing the scene of Asuma wanting one last cigarette. I've never been an advocate of smoking at all.

But I was just thinking of how badass characters usually act when they're staring adversity or death in the face. They usually smile or laugh, right?

In Asuma's case, he's smoking in spite of it all. He's not afraid of dying, and he showed it here. But he did want to go out with a smoke.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/5100/09qr1.jpg
Can't fool her, Asuma.

9. Memories of Team Ten. These type of flashbacks are always what gets me the most choked up about the death of a character. It's kind of when you die, your whole life passes in front of your eyes, except we're seeing it from all the memories of the poor kids sitting around their dying, gruff but loveable sensei instead.

How's this for sadness mixed with fondness? First we had the introduction of Team 10, which abruptly introduced to the kids the hazards of secondhand smoke. Heh! And then the first time they ever dined out together, and Asuma quickly finding out just how big an appetite Chouji had. And Shikamaru quickly covering Asuma's hand just as he nearly said the "F" word. Haha. And Asuma begging for forgiveness from the chef afterwards!

Then of course, the scene that finally confirmed what every Asuma x Kurenai fan has always wanted to see - his romantic relationship with Kurenai, made canon.

Even though Asuma denied it, there's no doubt now that he certainly had an interest in somebody. And we all know who *that* was. ;) But a bittersweet revelation, though, considering the timing...

Then we saw the very first shogi match between Asuma and Shikamaru. Even in their first game, Asuma lost! Then the scene that I think really showed just what a good guy Asuma was. Even though Shikamaru was the first one to be a Chuunin, Asuma didn't speak badly of Ino or Chouji at all, but rather encouraged them.

And then when they all did finally become Chuunins in their own right, Asuma made them all feel important and special to him.

I certainly had Asuma pegged all wrong. At one time I thought he was a bad guy, when he didn't jump in to help the other jounins with saving Hinata's life in her match with Neji. Maybe Asuma was just lighting another cigarette before he had realized what had happened.

Ah, well. These flashbacks certainly set a great mood for what would be Asuma's last moments. We got great glimpses at just "who" Asuma was, and he's led a relatively good life, even as young as he was at the time of his death.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/8075/finhx7.jpg
Yeah, that damn smoke.

10. Coping With Grief. I had initially thought that Shikamaru was puffing a cigarette in honor of Asuma when I saw the spoiler pictures, but now I think he's just trying to cover his tears here. Guess he has a macho side to him. But at the same time, a very powerful scene as it clearly reflected the flashback memory when the kids had first met Asuma - and when Shikamaru denied that he was crying at the prospect of Asuma being tough on them, blaming it on the smoke from his cigarette. This time, though, the smoke clearly wasn't the culprit. Nice writing there.

Just gotta say here, I certainly hope Shikamaru doesn't START smoking. He's too smart for that, heh.

Well, I just want to say something. People may be torn up over Asuma's death, but this was unfortunately one of these things that the series NEEDED as a catalyst for even more drama in the story. Supporting characters are supporting characters for a reason. They're just there to keep the story going in some dramatic fashion. With Asuma's death, the Akatsuki will now definitely be taken seriously by the fans, and I really can't wait to see how Konohagakure takes this bit of news. I can't wait to see how Shikamaru, Ino, and Chouji will grow as a result of this development. And how Naruto will react, as well as Kakashi and Kurenai. Even more than ever, I'm excited about where the story of Naruto will lead us.

There's only ONE thing that I think Kishimoto could have done better - and that was to give Asuma a little bit more of an impressive final showdown. We didn't really get to see much from him aside from a new searing ash cloud jutsu and longer chakra blades. I know that Hidan probably cut Asuma short before he could have done any more, and I think that's definitely realistic - kind of like when Sasori was kept from revealing what the last two scrolls on his back were, which will probably always stay a mystery now. Any Asuma detractors need to remember here that Asuma simply wasn't given a chance to give it his all. He could have been much stronger than he showed in his battle with Hidan, but he just didn't get to show it.

And perhaps that's what Kishimoto had in mind, actually. It's not that Asuma didn't go down easy. It's that Hidan used an obviously blatant cheap attack on him. Sort of like Baku's "unstoppable" wind sword and Hayate. That's the way things go sometimes, but Asuma's fans can always still speculate on just how strong Asuma really was.

And that being said, I've drawn something in memory of Asuma. Enjoy -

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/789/asuma1sl9.jpg
Bye, Asuma.

RATING: 5 out of 5 stars. Saddest chapter of Naruto ever. I loved it. And I loved that Kishimoto did this. This made Naruto so much more credible as a dramatic story.

Predictions: Probably will see what the Akatsuki are up to, perhaps even get to see the last two unrevealed Akatsuki in the flesh, although I think they'll still save that for a conflict down the line. But since it can't be too long before Kishimoto and his assistants will work on a third Databook, I'm betting it won't be too long before we see them. I'm sure they'll want to get all nine Akatsuki profiled in the next Databook.

Credits: All the translators, of course, and NarutoBuzz for their MQ scanlation.

Well, looking forward to seeing what you think.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/5929/fin2pr5.jpg
Pipe down and let 'em comment first Asuma. ;)

woush
October 20, 2006, 08:11 AM
AAAAAAAAAA!!! First!!! really sweet as always philster :>

gigantor21
October 20, 2006, 08:22 AM
I think that this was the best "Ten Comments" you've done so far, GK.

Dragonzair
October 20, 2006, 08:31 AM
My crackhead theory on who the king is:

I still don't believe it's Asuma. It seems a bit too obvious though. I still firmly believe the 'King' is someone who is Asuma' precious person. While Kurenai is now out of that case, since team ten already knew about it, there's a possibility there's more to it than that.

Think again back to the Asuma and Kakashi scene. It seems a bit more obvious now that Asuma was definitely going to discuss about the 'King' and whatnot. But once Kurenai came, he kept his mouth shut. If this was about Naruto, I seriously doubt that Asuma's face would've been like that, when she came in. He could've grinned a little at Kakashi, and told him he'd continue next time.

But instead, seeing Kurenai, he seemed either worried, or didn't want her to know his discussion with Kakashi.

So, my crackhead theory (and maybe quite far fetched, but...) is that Kurenai may be pregnant, and that the 'King' is actually his child.

This seemed a bit over the board, but let's get back to Asuma saying he finally understood what his father meant when he wanted to protect Konoha (or something like that). Because they were his most precious 'person', or in other words, they were his family. Now, if I'm right about Kurenai being pregnant, he's now realised that having a family meant they were the most precious people in his life.

Just like how his father viewed Konoha.

Otherwise, it can totally be even mroe unexpected, and something considering the thrid Hokage, perhaps? Meh. Or possibly Konohamaru, as you've stated?

Then again, I'm forcing this theory upon myself (as much as I hate it, and I'll explain why, later), because I cannot accept the fact that Naruto revolves around everyone's lives, and that Asuma sacrificed himself for him. It's very selfish of me, but I can't stand it any longer. T_T I'm already tired of evreything in this manga, and this was the final straw, so don't mind me if I'm being quite stupid right now. >_>;

Anywho. As I've said. I don't like this theory (mine) at all. Becuase if she is indeed pregnant, then I'l believe Kishimoto to be the biggest bastard ever. If Kurenai is pregnant with Asuma's child, and he's now gone...

You know what I mean? T_T

I can't handle that. I. Just. Can't. This chapter was more than enough for me to handle, and if Kishimoto's created a fatherless child...I don't know anymore. T_T

Blah. I promised myself not to get too emotionally stupid while writing my theory, but I PHAILED. Sorry, Ken-chan. T_T

HisshouBuraiKen
October 20, 2006, 08:31 AM
If the king isn't Kurenai, it's Asuma's unborn child in her womb. Or Konohamaru :P

Despite the one second difference, I thought of the "Kurenai's preggo" theory first :D

RE: #3 - Although I don't normally say this, I think I had the best translation on Asuma's "Ososugiru" in having him say "But as always...I took too long..." I thought that translation drove the point home the best that he...well, took too long to realize whatever lesson it was that his father had tried to teach him.

kiddo7
October 20, 2006, 09:20 AM
I have to agree that this is one of the most emotional chapters out there it is right on the same level as the sandaime's funeral.
The last words, and the flashbacks really did it for me. but even more than that, the very last panel of the chapter, the shot of kurenai, really hit me. I want to see her reaction when she finds out. if most of our theories are correct that might be an even more sad chapter than this one.
this chapter really did deserve a 5/5.

p.s. I think the four vital aras could be understood a four hits to vital areas, (I would be guessing four hits to two vital areas with a distribution of one and three) The triple bladed scithe gutted him, maybe even punctured his lungs (though to me it looked kinda low for that), and then he got pierced through the heart. there you have your four hits to vital areas.

Robotic Red
October 20, 2006, 09:54 AM
What kiddo said about the vital areas.

I wager that the pike probably hit the heart or the left lung. The three-blade scythe went through the gut, puncturing, in all likelihood, the stomach, the liver, and one of the kidneys.

Four vital points.

Can't wait for the next chapter.

The Fourth
October 20, 2006, 10:39 AM
great comments GK
I agree with gigantor21, best comments so far, and a cool drawing

1. I think you've just joined me in "I hate Hidan :notrust" :)
4 - 5 - 6: I laughed so much on what he said to Chouji. :smile-big
At the same time...sad moments :(
7. IMHO the king is in Kurenais womb
9. Those flashbacks were great, I hope we get more next week
10. the best moment of the whole chapter, so sad :(

one last thing, a song, a short part of it actually:

You know it's one kind favor, I ask to you
See that my grave is kept clean :crying

bax
October 20, 2006, 10:40 AM
A saaadd chapter indeed. How often we saw a character dies like this. After OP, Naruto takes the spot. Anyway, good comments GK. Agreed with the 5 stars.

But Hidan's total cocky disrespect to them all afterwards was just extremely disgusting to see. Especially to a group of shinobi that very nearly had the best of him if not for Kakuzu.

This will prove his downfall next time, and I hope, his death is in Shikamaru's hand. Well, Hidan toyed Asuma, even talking trash about him when Asuma was struggling with that heavy injuries. I hope Shikamaru will do the same for Hidan next time.

Now, what I'm wondering is exactly how Hidan struck four vital points with one strike to his chest with a spear? Is even such a thing possible? I'm not much of a medical expert, so if anybody wants to add more to this, post away.

You beat me to it :p I thought I want to comment on Ino's medic skills, I guess not. For the four vital parts, it's actually can be done. See the pic. Actually, inside the human body, from frontal view, the heart is in front while the left lung is behind it. And also, the spleen is actually hidden by the liver in frontal view. So, with just a slight angle facing upward, Hidan can strike these four organs (all four of them are very important for a human to live) in one go. I'm no medic expert too, but thanks to biology class (if I can still remember those scientific names :s)

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/8423/dsystemzm5.gif

4. Asuma's Final Words to Ino.
5. Asuma's Final Words to Chouji.
6. Asuma's Final Words to Shikamaru.

I'm surprised to hear the final words for Ino! I never thought Asuma would actually wished for Ino not to lose to Sakura. If he said this, it's most probably he cares about Ino's feelings too (no offense, but judging from appearance, this looks like out of place). And his words for Chouji, perhaps the best. Until now, only Shikamaru said that Chouji is stronger than anyone, and now finally, his mentor acknowledge it too! But sad, it'll be a memory. As for Shikamaru, I have no doubt that he's a prime candidate for Hokage.

7. Who's the King? I'm beginning to think it's not the village, after all.

Who? For me it's Naruto. His father protected Naruto since Naruto was born. If not because of him, Naruto would be left alone. Sandaime was the one who prohibits people talking about Kyuubi. I guess, although it was never shown, Asuma might inherit that will too. And now, he passed it to Shikamaru. It is fitting. Shikamaru said before, "I'll help you" to Naruto after the Grass Country arc, and now, he has more reasons to do so.

10. Coping With Grief.

The saddest moment in Shikamaru's life. No doubt. He was sad previously when Chouji nearly died against Jirobou. But this is more than that, he was there, yet, he could only see Hidan's stabbed himself. Yes, he tried to stop Hidan, but to no avail. About that smoking, I bet he's trying to continue Asuma's legacy. I'm anxious how Shikamaru will react if Naruto or anyone else asked him about what happened. Is he gonna walk away in silence or lose his cool?

Yup. Looking forward for the next chapter. The story has unfold greatly. Now, for some serious butt-kicking of the Akatsuki. Oh yeah, where's Naruto? I want to see how much progress he made thus far.

Gold Knight
October 20, 2006, 11:08 AM
AAAAAAAAAA!!! First!!! really sweet as always philster :>

I think that this was the best "Ten Comments" you've done so far, GK.

Was it? Cool, thanks :D

My crackhead theory on who the king is:

I still don't believe it's Asuma. It seems a bit too obvious though. I still firmly believe the 'King' is someone who is Asuma' precious person. While Kurenai is now out of that case, since team ten already knew about it, there's a possibility there's more to it than that.

Think again back to the Asuma and Kakashi scene. It seems a bit more obvious now that Asuma was definitely going to discuss about the 'King' and whatnot. But once Kurenai came, he kept his mouth shut. If this was about Naruto, I seriously doubt that Asuma's face would've been like that, when she came in. He could've grinned a little at Kakashi, and told him he'd continue next time.

But instead, seeing Kurenai, he seemed either worried, or didn't want her to know his discussion with Kakashi.

So, my crackhead theory (and maybe quite far fetched, but...) is that Kurenai may be pregnant, and that the 'King' is actually his child.

This seemed a bit over the board, but let's get back to Asuma saying he finally understood what his father meant when he wanted to protect Konoha (or something like that). Because they were his most precious 'person', or in other words, they were his family. Now, if I'm right about Kurenai being pregnant, he's now realised that having a family meant they were the most precious people in his life.

Just like how his father viewed Konoha.

Otherwise, it can totally be even mroe unexpected, and something considering the thrid Hokage, perhaps? Meh. Or possibly Konohamaru, as you've stated?

Then again, I'm forcing this theory upon myself (as much as I hate it, and I'll explain why, later), because I cannot accept the fact that Naruto revolves around everyone's lives, and that Asuma sacrificed himself for him. It's very selfish of me, but I can't stand it any longer. T_T I'm already tired of evreything in this manga, and this was the final straw, so don't mind me if I'm being quite stupid right now. >_>;

Anywho. As I've said. I don't like this theory (mine) at all. Becuase if she is indeed pregnant, then I'l believe Kishimoto to be the biggest bastard ever. If Kurenai is pregnant with Asuma's child, and he's now gone...

You know what I mean? T_T

I can't handle that. I. Just. Can't. This chapter was more than enough for me to handle, and if Kishimoto's created a fatherless child...I don't know anymore. T_T

Blah. I promised myself not to get too emotionally stupid while writing my theory, but I PHAILED. Sorry, Ken-chan. T_T

If the king isn't Kurenai, it's Asuma's unborn child in her womb. Or Konohamaru :P

Despite the one second difference, I thought of the "Kurenai's preggo" theory first :D

Heh, not a bad theory - plausible... well, would make sense why Asuma seemed happy and wanted to talk to Kakashi, then shut up when Kurenai came into the room. If we were going to assume that Asuma's King is a precious person, then at first thought we'd guess Kurenai, but that would be quite the twist if it was actually an unborn child that Kurenai was now carrying. To an upcoming father, there would be no more precious person.

Not bad, could be.

RE: #3 - Although I don't normally say this, I think I had the best translation on Asuma's "Ososugiru" in having him say "But as always...I took too long..." I thought that translation drove the point home the best that he...well, took too long to realize whatever lesson it was that his father had tried to teach him.

I like that better myself, too. But I think we got the gist of it though either way. Asuma being late is pretty much the same as taking too long.

I have to agree that this is one of the most emotional chapters out there it is right on the same level as the sandaime's funeral.
The last words, and the flashbacks really did it for me. but even more than that, the very last panel of the chapter, the shot of kurenai, really hit me. I want to see her reaction when she finds out. if most of our theories are correct that might be an even more sad chapter than this one.
this chapter really did deserve a 5/5.

p.s. I think the four vital aras could be understood a four hits to vital areas, (I would be guessing four hits to two vital areas with a distribution of one and three) The triple bladed scithe gutted him, maybe even punctured his lungs (though to me it looked kinda low for that), and then he got pierced through the heart. there you have your four hits to vital areas.

What kiddo said about the vital areas.

I wager that the pike probably hit the heart or the left lung. The three-blade scythe went through the gut, puncturing, in all likelihood, the stomach, the liver, and one of the kidneys.

Four vital points.

Can't wait for the next chapter.

I completely forgot that the scythe hitting Hidan in the stomach affected Hidan as well. Good points. It wasn't just one strike. Thanks, I'll edit that into my Comments.

great comments GK
I agree with gigantor21, best comments so far, and a cool drawing

1. I think you've just joined me in "I hate Hidan :notrust" :)
4 - 5 - 6: I laughed so much on what he said to Chouji. :smile-big
At the same time...sad moments :(
7. IMHO the king is in Kurenais womb
9. Those flashbacks were great, I hope we get more next week
10. the best moment of the whole chapter, so sad :(

one last thing, a song, a short part of it actually:

See that my grave is kept clean :crying

Heh :thumbs

EDIT: Bax, will get to yours in a sec ;D[br]Posted on: October 20, 2006, 11:48:39 AM_________________________________________________

A saaadd chapter indeed. How often we saw a character dies like this. After OP, Naruto takes the spot. Anyway, good comments GK. Agreed with the 5 stars.

This will prove his downfall next time, and I hope, his death is in Shikamaru's hand. Well, Hidan toyed Asuma, even talking trash about him when Asuma was struggling with that heavy injuries. I hope Shikamaru will do the same for Hidan next time.

Amen! Would love to see that myself. If Hidan comes to Konohagakure and ends up into another battle with Shikamaru, he's somehow gonna be pwned next time, I guarantee you.

You beat me to it :p I thought I want to comment on Ino's medic skills, I guess not. For the four vital parts, it's actually can be done. See the pic. Actually, inside the human body, from frontal view, the heart is in front while the left lung is behind it. And also, the spleen is actually hidden by the liver in frontal view. So, with just a slight angle facing upward, Hidan can strike these four organs (all four of them are very important for a human to live) in one go. I'm no medic expert too, but thanks to biology class (if I can still remember those scientific names :s)

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/8423/dsystemzm5.gif[/quote]

Thanks! That was very informative. So it can be done. But I think kiddo7 and Robotic Red were right about the scythe also causing some damage as well to other vital parts. It wasn't just the spear. Although, I guess it could have been. Oh well, either way, I feel better about that now that I know it was possible. ^^

I'm surprised to hear the final words for Ino! I never thought Asuma would actually wished for Ino not to lose to Sakura. If he said this, it's most probably he cares about Ino's feelings too (no offense, but judging from appearance, this looks like out of place). And his words for Chouji, perhaps the best. Until now, only Shikamaru said that Chouji is stronger than anyone, and now finally, his mentor acknowledge it too! But sad, it'll be a memory. As for Shikamaru, I have no doubt that he's a prime candidate for Hokage.

I was a little startled to hear the final words for Ino too... but then I thought about it, and I thought that it was probably the truth. We just haven't really seen as much of Ino as we have from Shikamaru yet. Asuma probably knew better than the readers in this particular case just what Ino's capable of. Hopefully we'll be seeing Ino in more action later on.

Who? For me it's Naruto. His father protected Naruto since Naruto was born. If not because of him, Naruto would be left alone. Sandaime was the one who prohibits people talking about Kyuubi. I guess, although it was never shown, Asuma might inherit that will too. And now, he passed it to Shikamaru. It is fitting. Shikamaru said before, "I'll help you" to Naruto after the Grass Country arc, and now, he has more reasons to do so.

Hm, we'll see. But you're right, Sandaime took up Yondaime's will in that Yondy wanted Naruto to be the next mightiest hero in the country. Maybe Sandaime wanted Asuma to take up that will at some point, but Asuma refused, thinking that Naruto was more of a danger than anything else. Or won't live up to it. In any case, we'll see.

The saddest moment in Shikamaru's life. No doubt. He was sad previously when Chouji nearly died against Jirobou. But this is more than that, he was there, yet, he could only see Hidan's stabbed himself. Yes, he tried to stop Hidan, but to no avail. About that smoking, I bet he's trying to continue Asuma's legacy. I'm anxious how Shikamaru will react if Naruto or anyone else asked him about what happened. Is he gonna walk away in silence or lose his cool?

I also thought of that. I don't think Shikamaru will be the type of kid who'll take out his anger on Naruto or anything like that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. Naruto has been concentrating for the last two years to try to bring a traitor back. Shikamaru has just lost his sensei to the Akatsuki. Shikamaru may be a little irrirated that Naruto still cares enough to ignore staying at and protecting his village in order to try to bring one person back. Who knows, we'll see.

Yup. Looking forward for the next chapter. The story has unfold greatly. Now, for some serious butt-kicking of the Akatsuki. Oh yeah, where's Naruto? I want to see how much progress he made thus far.

I'm sure we'll find out soon enough, but I still expect Kishimoto to stay away from Naruto for a while longer.

younzo
October 20, 2006, 11:20 AM
Interesting comments as usual :tem
Concerning the king, i'll bet on Naruto.
And i think Shikamaru will actually start smoking.

Luckas
October 20, 2006, 11:32 AM
Interesting and quick comments GK, just did you find easy or difficult to comment this chapter?

1) Despicable, nothing else to say. :D

3) Interesting words, a little enigmatic.

4) Not obvious insights about Ino. (I really hate my poor english vovubalary :eyeroll)

5) Kindness and confidence in himself: very well said. I liked these words.

6) Prasie for his intelligence and push to better hisself, expectable but absolutely correct.

7) Naruto is surely a sensible possibility and also Kurenai, but I think Kishimoto will surprise us even more. About Konohamaru, it is possible but I wouldn't bet about that.

8) Sorry, but I don't like this idea of the last smoke. Maybe it is in character, but i don't like it.

9) Very well said.

10) First thing first: I hope Shikamaru doesn't start smoking just as you already said.
I agree that Asuma's death could be necessary in the evolution of the plot, but if its only purpose is to show the cruelty and the dangerousness of Akatsuki then I'm disappointed. Because it isn't coherent with the previous development of some Akatsuki member, who are depicted almost as "comic characters" (sorry, the italian word is "macchietta", but i don't know his english translation).
And I agree with you that the Asuma's end is a little rushed.

Good Asuma you drawn.

goofy_man
October 20, 2006, 01:57 PM
Yeah, I like the Asuma fanart there GK....very nice.....

Well, this is indeed sad....Konoha is going to mourn in the next chapter; Kurenai will be heartbroken, then she'll devise a way to torture Hidan to the point that Hidan begs for mercy like a total wuss, then kill him in the most brutal fashion possible....at least that's what I want to see....

Goodbye, Asuma-sensei....you will be missed.....*manly tear*

:offtopic Let's see.....first GrimmJow, now Hidan.....which manga character will join DZ's sh!tlist next??

kiddo7
October 20, 2006, 02:36 PM
on a side note or maybe not even so much of a side note as an adition to my previous comment.
I always had the impression that Sakura was trying to catch up to Ino, in other words, Ino is winning and in the lead. Why then does Asuma tell her not to lose to Sakura? Has she given up? did the roles change sothat now Ino is trying to be more like sakura and mybe surpass her? that would explain why she is learning medical jutsu, but it still feels somewhat off to me.

laughing@you
October 20, 2006, 02:52 PM
Who's the king?

My vote is in Naruto. Not because his the main character, but because he has the kiuby. It could mean that kiuby is the only chance the world has if Akatsuki decide to unleash all those demon powers. I believe that the nine tails who would be the last of the demons (I think!) Is the key to ultimate power, ergo the king!!!

Probably asuma realized that loosing naruto would mean losing the war against akatsuki. Eventhough Asuma didn't know about akatsuki entering konoha when he said it.

Then again is just a theory.

I was really heartbroken to see asuma die! Sarutobi's family members are dropping like flies.

midnight789
October 20, 2006, 03:34 PM
Man, I think this may be one of your best commandments ever. You hit everything, and I agree with you on everything except hating Hidan, but that doesn't really matter (as it's an opinion thing). As for the "kurenai's preggo" theory, I think I agree. That would explain why she wasn't out in the 20 brigades...
Anywho I wonder how this news will affect everyone in the village. :(

renrutal
October 20, 2006, 07:49 PM
Well, this is indeed sad....Konoha is going to mourn in the next chapter; Kurenai will be heartbroken, then she'll devise a way to torture Hidan to the point that Hidan begs for mercy like a total wuss, then kill him in the most brutal fashion possible....at least that's what I want to see....
Now that you mention it, Genjutsu is probably the most effective weapon against Hidan. His body is imortal, but is his mind imortal too?

He will wish he could die when Kurenai executes a forbidden eternal suffering jutsu on him, something to make Tsukiyomi look like a child play. To kill him... is too much kindness.

Now that would be a chapter that would make Naruto look like a Berserk chapter :) *insert evil laugh here*

--------------

Ino - Her wish to surpass her rival, and her confidence in herself.
Chouji - His wishes to protet his precious people and his kindness make him strong, the strongest.
Shikamaru - His sharp mind and sense as ninja, enough to make one a Hokage.

Naruto has all these qualities, as a person and as a ninja. He will become the Hokage.

yeste
October 20, 2006, 07:51 PM
Well, here we are; the unthinkable has happened. One of the saddest chapters of Naruto I've ever read. Well, actually, it's probably the saddest ever.

The saddest one in a long long time… I’m still very much in state of confusion by all this, so can’t really make up my mind about it… Maybe from the longer point of view this was the much needed event that will allow the readers to connect to the story the way the writer intended, and will be the event that will brake the story, after which the new saga will begin… I’m sorry if I sound like stupid guy, but IMO this didn’t have to happen in order to show us the terror of Aka… But I don’t wanna bore you guys with that… That’s just what I think!

I agree that the chapter was really great, and you did an excellent job highlighting the main points for us GK, so thanks again ( and again :p ), but I really don’t feel like commenting a lot… All I have to say is that ( and this also might sound really stupid so :) be aware ! :p ) I really hope that the story goes more dynamically from here… If we get the next 5-6 chaps all talk no real action or anything, that would be very disappointing…

weixiaobao
October 20, 2006, 08:14 PM
Wow this is so weird that i didn't feel sad at all when Asuma died and gold knight feel sad, the opposite could also be said about the death of Merry Go (One Piece) when gold knight not feel sad, i feel heart broken.
PS. I did expect Asuma to died but too bad that he didn't show all of his skills before his death though, and good job on the comments =)

Raine_Joybringer
October 20, 2006, 10:42 PM
;______;

I'm too sad to comment.

I need a hug :<

Sariachan
October 20, 2006, 11:19 PM
Well, great comments and nice drawing, Gold Knight! ^^

Imho Asuma's "king" could be his baby (if Kurenai is pregnant as I think), but Naruto as well. We'll see in the next chapter I suppose.

About the smoking part, I don't care the slighter... in real life smoking is bad, in manga or any other fictional media it's cool. ;)

Finally, about Hidan. I don't hate him since he is a bad character that doesn't put things on a personal level. In comparition Deidara did... remember when he said all those awful things to Naruto about the jinchuuriki? I really hate Deidara for that. Actually, maybe Deidara is the only Naruto character I can't stand... well, many times I can't stand Sasuke either, and I loated Yashamaru, but hate, well, only Deidara I hate.
Just my two cents.

white silver
October 21, 2006, 12:10 AM
[b][font=verdana][size=1]Gosh [color=red]GK I really wish I had that emotional moment as the rest of these guys have, the thing is, it just wasn't that powerful, I agree that it was sad, but it really didn't compare to the other "sad" chapters of Naruto (to me at least). Maybe the Anime would do a better job of doing it. And yes, this is definitely the best top 10 comments to date. Good work!

*Curses Hidan, I hope he's the one Naruto would use his "completed" Rasengan on!*

goofy_man
October 21, 2006, 11:54 AM
;______;

I'm too sad to comment.

I need a hug :<

:hug
I know how you feel, this is indeed a sad moment.... :scry

alice2001
October 21, 2006, 08:01 PM
Sad, sad... Losing Asuma-sensei like that...

I did think that Kurenai showing up so many times through these last chapters surely means something. I'm totally convinced that there is a high possibility for the king to be the child of Kurenai and Asuma like people are suggesting.

Ps.:Hidan, next time you fight I'd like to see your head being separated again from your body and this time there will be no one to get it back. Then they will torture you - pulling your hair like Kakuzu for example - till you tell the secret about the Akatsuki and be left after it alive and suffering eternally.

LadyHatake
October 21, 2006, 09:06 PM
I don't know if Asuma's death really came across as strong for me. While I'm really sad he died, when I read it, I wasn't tearing up or anything (like I normally do >.>). Maybe because somwhere in the deep recesses of my mind I had been expecting it, but I don't think that it was as well written as it could have been. It just wasn't emotional enough. (But after rereading it 3 times when I did the Compilation thread, I definently started to cry)

I think the next chapter or 2 is going to be alot more emotional. If what I'm thinking is right, then we'll be seeing the reactions of Konoha and Naruto et al. Like with the 3rd's funeral, that's what made me sad, more so than when he actually died. I think it's that the memorial is when it really hits, kind of like a finalization when you realize "He's really dead. He's not coming back." (Which I've felt on a personal level IRL, too).

But yeah, definently a sad chapter. And I agree, Hidan was absolutely disgusting. He had no respect for the dying, and continued to spew shit until the moment he left. I hope the bastard gets what's coming to him, and soon. Hopefully by Shikamaru's hands.

As far as the King theory, I think it's Naruto. I'm not exactly sure why, but it seems to fit for me. The King is the piece that you have to have to continue playing. Once the king is captured, the game ends. For Konoha, if Naruto were captured (by Akatsuki) then there'd be nothing in between Akatsuki and whatever it is they're doing with the Bijuu. They'd use kyuubi for whatever evil purposes they deemed necessary, including the possible destruction of Konoha at some point.

but eh. It could end up being Shikamaru or someone XD

glasskatana
October 21, 2006, 09:51 PM
Good chapter. Good Comments.

I don't like Hidan as much simply because he's gotten a bit old...and he only has 1 jutsu as far as we can see. I actually thought he was cooler before he started the ritual, when he was just fighting with his tri-scyth.

I don't hate him though, he behaves exactly like I expect a bad guy would.

Of course, just because I don't hate him doesn't mean I hope he lives. Hidan now serves a very significant purpose. That purpose is to get the living shit beat out of him by someone who deserves to do it (team 10, Kurenai, or Naruto. But if it is Naruto, I want him to do it with team 10, not by himself) His death will most definitely be one of the most exciting, as all the diehard fans of Asuma will love it. I will love it. I can't wait. I hope Hidan gets back to Konoha as soon as possible so someone can put his head on a silver platter.

Kurenai is pregnant theory...perhaps. I'd find it odd that Asuma and Kurenai would be too embarassed to admit they were in a relationship, and then all of a sudden to have Kurenai announce to the world that she's pregnant. Though if she were, many things would make sense.

The King could be anyone. I'm not going to even bother guessing right now.

As for the smoking thing, I actually kind of hope Shikamaru does start smoking, when he becomes a jounin/when (if) he leads his own squad. We all know that smoking is bad for you and that if possible, you should quit, but that's irl. In the mangaverse, people who smoke don't seem to have any decreased lung capacity or difficulty breathing, or any longterm problems whatsover. Sarutobi smoked a pipe, Asuma smoke cigarrettes.

Of course, it's not a big deal, and I would be satisfied if he simply didn't smoke at all. :p

That's all for now.

WinterLion
October 21, 2006, 10:16 PM
Great comments as always Ebisu. ;) And yeah... it was a really sad chapter. I just finished revamping my trans for JapFlap and it was really sad going through it again.

And the flashbacks were what got to me the most. The one in the flowershop and also Asuma's present to Team 10 and his words to go along with it: "So you don’t forget that we were all a part of Team 10!" That made me want to cry. ;__ ;

As for theories on who's the "King"... I think I'm going to support Mimi's theory. It seems like a crackhead theory, but it really does makes sense when you take into consideration, Shikamaru's surprise. Shika is really smart and I don't think he would be surprised if it was Naruto. He knows already that Akat is after Naruto to get the Kyuubi, and so if Asuma was telling him Naruto was the "King," I don't think he would be all that surprised... And it seems to make sense with what Asuma was saying... He said he finally understand what his father died for. And Sandaime died to protect the village and pass on the legacy to the next generation. So it would be fitting that Asuma says that the "king" is the next generation, specifically his next generation. Ah, well, just my 2 cents into the theories part. :fan

One Eyed Sharingan
October 22, 2006, 01:59 AM
1. Well, Hidan view his victims as offerings for his god, and if your offering is fighting back to you (beheaded you), you'd never pay respect to him...from the beginning Hidan is no gentlemen
Hell.... Itachi slaughter an entire clan and said that the clan was just a MEASURING STICK to test his container (whatta respect for clan that raised him)....not much reader hate him...

ibra87
October 22, 2006, 05:39 AM
Well, Hidan IS a villain, so like you said, I think he's supposed to piss you off. You would probably have hated Itachi even more if you were actually were there when he killed his clan.

I think that Hidan's ass will be kicked by Shika, and Kakuzu's probably by Chouji (they both can extend their hands, remember?)

I wonder who'll die next though... It probably won't be Kakashi.

white silver
October 22, 2006, 07:37 AM
It probably won't be Kakashi.

[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]It probably would... Kishimoto is beginning to "stab" some hearts now I'm afraid.

CheckMate
October 22, 2006, 08:51 AM
I wonder who'll die next though... It probably won't be Kakashi.

[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]It probably would... Kishimoto is beginning to "stab" some hearts now I'm afraid.

Godaime is the next. Thats the curse passed from generation to generation for the title of Hokage.

What makes Asuma's death is sadder than his father, is that his father had showed his best before died, while Asuma sensei didnt.
Agree with GK here..

anyway.. farewell sensei. :crying
As for team 10, every ending is a new beginning.. All do your best.!!

Dragonzair
October 22, 2006, 11:06 AM
Godaime is the next. Thats the curse passed from generation to generation for the title of Hokage.

What makes Asuma's death is sadder than his father, is that his father had showed his best before died, while Asuma sensei didnt.
Agree with GK here..

That's true. Not only that, though.

The Third died with the thought that he was saving the people he loved. He died happy, to say the least, and no regrets. Asuma's death...he wasn't ready. He didn't die with the thought that he's finished everything in his life, he didn't die knowing that something good will come out of it (unlike the Third's death, where he temporarily weakened Orochimaru).

That's the worst death they can get. Because it was a ninja's death, and not a hero's. :( He wasn't ready to die, and he seemed like he didn't want to die.

*screams and mumbles incohorent words and rocks back and forth*

XD Nyah. XD

weixiaobao
October 22, 2006, 11:13 AM
After had read chapter 328 once more time (this time more detail.) Yup, this is one of the saddest chapter second only to choji's battle against one of the sound 5 (only my opinion). Godaime will die but not any time soon. I think the next one will die propably Iruka. That way Naruto more pump up and determined.

kiddo7
October 22, 2006, 11:27 AM
If and when godaime dies that chapter will be very emotional and it will set alot of things into motion. you can bet on that!

CheckMate
October 22, 2006, 11:35 AM
I think the next one will die propably Iruka. That way Naruto more pump up and determined.

Nah not Iruka.
Konoha are dealing with Akatsuki.
While Iruka only deals with weaklings.
He is still safe now.

kadoman
October 22, 2006, 03:52 PM
Awww...GK...I love, love, LOVE your comments this week! I'm saving this! Agree with everything you said (as per usual). Reading your comments kinda brought all the emotion of the chapter back to me and I felt all choked up again!

I agree that Asuma's death was necessary because if his death is integral to the story then that is what has to happen. The story comes first. But I do feel sorry for all the Asuma fans.

I agree also, that it's a pity Kishi didn't give him a bit more time in the spot light. There seemed to be an awful lot of build up to his character which kinda feels as though it was for nothing right now; having said that, perhaps we'll see in the future why Kishi chose to write him out of the series at this point and not at some later point.

As for Hidan, he's just gone up in my esteem - ok, hang on! I don't mean that I admire his personal qualities - he's a baddie! What I mean is, just when I thought he was becoming a camp and somewhat lame character, he goes and acts like a complete unfeeling, insane bastard. Thank-you Kishi. After beginning to doubt Akatsuki's credibility (what with the ridiculous Tobi) as 'threats', now I can take them seriously again. Now I can look at Hidan in particular and think, yeah, you're not somebody to trifle with.

But it sure was a sad chapter and makes me wonder how much darker Kishi will go in the future.

Edit: I also believe Naruto is the King.

jamail
October 22, 2006, 09:29 PM
very well written... damn!!! this smoke makes me tear a lot... :scry :wtf

white silver
October 23, 2006, 04:17 AM
[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]*sob* *sob* you're probably wondering why I'm crying. Thanks to this MQ version (though it really strikes as HQ). It's moments like this that make the story sadder, short flashes of funny happy memories......

Check out Asuma!! :crying

Iwanin
October 24, 2006, 03:05 AM
Shika is really smart and I don't think he would be surprised if it was Naruto. He knows already that Akat is after Naruto to get the Kyuubi, and so if Asuma was telling him Naruto was the "King," I don't think he would be all that surprised...

Well, there's logic to what you're saying, but you could also look at it this way: the ninja considered to be the biggest idiot in the village (Naruto) turning out to be the most important one (king) would not be surprising to the smartest one (Shikamaru)?

Shikamaru's Naruto's friend, but he's never really shown much faith in him (just recently he questioned whether he could ever master elemental jutsu.)

Plus, Akatsuki is indeed after the kyuubi, but the reason Konoha's after them is not so much to protect Naruto as it is to stop the Kyuubi from falling into their hands. It makes sense: Naruto's is one life. If the Kyuubi falls into the wrong hands, countless lives could be lost.

But let's think about the shougi analogy.

The king is the most important piece. Shikamaru first thought it was the Houkage. Asuma thought so at first too... but then he realized it was somebody else.

Well, whom did the Houkage herself risk her life to protect (from Orochimaru)? Naruto.

And what did she say when Orochimaru asked him why she would give her life for a mere genin? "To protect the leaf."

It's not just because he has the kyuubi. Naruto's life itself is vital to Konoha's future. Why?

Kishimoto's been terribly blunt about it throughout the entire manga. In the Sasori arc he even spelled it out: Naruto has an "unusual gift" which allows him to change people, instilling hope in them.

He changed Inari, he changed Neji, he changed Gaara, he changed Tsunade, he changed Chiyo, he changed Sai... these were all people who were fatalistically resigned to their current circumstances. They weren't satisfied with them, but they had no will to fight them. So they looked down on Naruto for struggling against the tide. But eventually Naruto succeeds and instills hope in them.

The one person he's been unable to save is Sasuke...and that's because when he manages that, the manga ends.

The point is that the message the manga carries is that skill is not as important as courage and (gasp!) love. It's ultimately done in the same vein as other pop-culture classics like Star Wars and Harry Potter.

How did Luke Skywalker beat the (more powerful) Emperor? Love he showed his father.
What's Harry Potter's greatest weapon against Lord Voldemort? Love.

So anyway, this prediction isn't directly related to this particular chapter, but I think I'll make it anyway: I predict Itachi's gonna be the "last boss." He'll probably kill AL himself.

I predict Naruto will make Sasuke realize the error of his ways and then Sasuke will entrust him with beating Itachi - not for revenge, but for the sake of the leaf (or the world). Naruto will engage Itachi aided by the Kyuubi, who'll have "acknowledged" Naruto by that point. And then Naruto wins, becomes Hokage and scores with Sakura.

Of course, the key to his victory will be all the friends he's made since the manga began. Something like "we shinobi of the Sand will hold off these hords of monsters while you hurry on to where Itachi is. We're counting on you."

So forget about his jutsu for a moment. Without Naruto, the Sand and Leaf wouldn't be friends. Such a scenario as described above would be impossible without Naruto. That's why he's the King.

kadoman
October 24, 2006, 03:27 AM
Iwanin, I love you, will you marry me? Damn! I'm already married. :darn I'm saving your comments for future reference because not only is this so eloquently written, but I share exactly the same thoughts on every matter except for one:

I predict Naruto will make Sasuke realize the error of his ways and then Sasuke will entrust him with beating Itachi - not for revenge, but for the sake of the leaf (or the world). Naruto will engage Itachi aided by the Kyuubi, who'll have "acknowledged" Naruto by that point. And then Naruto wins, becomes Hokage and scores with Sakura.

I agree Naruto will make Sasuke see the error of his ways, as well as the 'light,' but I don't think Naruto will go on to fight and beat Itachi. I think Naruto will fight and beat AL (irony = AL being defeated by the very thing he tried to possess).

Kishi has given Sasuke special loving treatment from the start and he's put too much effort into the Uchiha backstory to let it slide on by (which is effectively what he'd be doing if he let Naruto take over the reins in the Uchiha saga). He'll let Sasuke have his show down with Itachi. Strengthened and renewed by 'love' and the desire to 'protect', Sasuke will beat Itachi and be forced to choose life or death for him. Through Naruto's influence, he'll spare Itachi because the other of Kishi's messages is that it is always better to try to save than take life. Having said that, I think Itachi will die (probably from his injuries as opposed to Sasuke 'directly' killing him).

But I've been pretty stubborn about that particular prediction all along. :amuse

EDIT: I do agree he'll become Hokage and score with Sakura (even though I don't like that pairing!) :D

Iwanin, thanks again for such a beautifully written piece! :hug

Sorry GK, for going off-topic! You know I can't help but stick my beak in when it comes to matters Uchiha! :amuse

Luckas
October 24, 2006, 04:06 AM
@Iwanin: your post is exceptionally well written and your analysis about Naruto being the king, because he has the incredible ability to change people and give them back hope is surely interesting. But I don't agree with your conclusions (I hope this isn't rude, english isn't my mother tongue): I think it's obvious the relationiship between Naruto and Sasuke will be solved (I haven't a clue about how that will be done), the rest:
Naruto will engage Itachi aided by the Kyuubi, who'll have "acknowledged" Naruto by that point. And then Naruto wins, becomes Hokage and scores with Sakura. seems to me so clichè that I think Kishimoto will stay far away from it.

Gold Knight
October 25, 2006, 07:22 AM
Don't worry about that Kado! Feel free to go off-topic as much as you guys want, I don't care in my thread (as long as it's Naruto-related). I may not always be around enough to make my own responses, so you guys should be allowed to discuss it among yourselves too! And you guys do a great job of that! ;)

Sorry guys for taking my sweet time to reply by the way, I'm kind of on a self-appointed break from MH at the moment (though unannounced). I'll be sure to read over everybody's posts tonight or tomorrow morning.

Adam_xx
October 25, 2006, 07:35 AM
Weee, always a great read GK.
Shikamaru won't start smoking I reckon, although it would really suit his physical form.
Mentally not obviously.

Dragonzair
October 26, 2006, 04:17 AM
I just had the most far-fetched thought. o.o

This came because of people believing Naruto is the 'King', plus me and a few other believing it's his child. What if we're both right. o.o

I mean Naruto has the wind element, just like Asuma. o.o

I'm talking nonsense. But it's funny. :lmao

Noex
October 27, 2006, 08:29 AM
Goodbye Asuma-senpai you will be missed.

great commets GK, the best so far.

And about the King deal, i think its Konohamaru, it gotta be, what other way can you put him inside the story + that might tighten the rivalry between him and Naruto (sence naruto wish to be Hokage), and it makes sence, konohamaru is born into the Sarutobi clan, so ppl probaly expect good things from him, he even got a personal teacher at early age (Ebisu) but i may be worng im really to sad to think T_T

weixiaobao
October 27, 2006, 08:40 PM
Although Iwanin's writing was very good but I must disagree that Naruto is the king.
I the 5th had said something about the king then the king must be Naruto.
But in this case Asuma had said it (have least connection with Naruto, and probably didn't know all the things Naruto did)
The major reason I WANT to believe that the king is not Naruto, b/c I dun want the story to center too much on Naruto as it already is.
The king is like its people that he rule, the next generation, future,...

Just my opinion!

-The king if it have to be in term of human then in my opinion the king is not one person,
If the king could be more like and ideal, a belief of the village and such
Or the king could be someone, a very supprisingly character (we may met or not met yet) and not Naruto.

Gold Knight
October 28, 2006, 08:44 AM
Just dropping a note to let you guys that I'm still definitely planning to do 329 Comments soon enough - but since we have no Naruto next week, I thought that I'd wait until Monday this time. But don't worry, it's coming ^^

And thanks again all for commenting. A lot of speculation about the King - but I think I'll probably stick with Naruto for now. We'll see what happens.

weixiaobao
October 28, 2006, 10:17 AM
Just dropping a note to let you guys that I'm still definitely planning to do 329 Comments soon enough - but since we have no Naruto next week, I thought that I'd wait until Monday this time. But don't worry, it's coming ^^

And thanks again all for commenting. A lot of speculation about the King - but I think I'll probably stick with Naruto for now. We'll see what happens.

Yike, cheers

jamail
October 29, 2006, 04:40 AM
when is GK's ten comments on 329... I am sure he will obliterate that chapter... i was disappointed to say the least... it was a bad follow-up... Kishimoto.... tsk... tsk... tsk... tsk... I still love naruto...

Gold Knight
October 30, 2006, 05:54 PM
Make that Tuesday that I'll get my 329 Comments in... my PC froze and I lost about three comments (just as I was about to save them too!) Fnuckale is cleaning some images for me and will be done tomorrow anyway.

Sorry for the extended delay this time.

WinterLion
October 30, 2006, 06:23 PM
Awww... :glomp
*kicks Ebisu's pc* http://www.gumnut.com/pub/images/topicicons/stupidcomputer.gif

Take your time. :amuse There's no Naruto this week anyways.

Luckas
October 30, 2006, 06:39 PM
No problem Gk, the wait is surely worth.
If you use "Word" you could put on the option of "automatic saving", maybe to save every 2 minutes. Most of the time is useless, but some time is a life-saver.[br]Posted on: October 31, 2006, 12:29:18 AM_________________________________________________http://www.gumnut.com/pub/images/topicicons/stupidcomputer.gif Even if it could be satisfying, beating the pc only worsen the problem, trust me ;)
Sorry, I can't resist.

jamail
October 31, 2006, 12:58 PM
better change your PC...

Gold Knight
November 01, 2006, 02:03 PM
Again, had PC problems. This time I didn't lose anything though.

Will be posting within the day :thumbs