PDA

View Full Version : Question What is One Piece (the manga)?

Aikidoka
October 28, 2009, 11:38 PM
So, I'm trying to get a friend of mine to start One Piece, but he's a bit reluctant to. I tried to tell him what it was about but all it did was confuse him.

Can anybody give a concise, clear definition of what One Piece is, here? I'm not good at explaining these things. And please share as many definitions as you can, the more the better. Thanks, it would be really appreciated. =]

guesswho
October 29, 2009, 12:04 AM
Just say One Piece is the best manga out there and everyone who reads manga but doesn't read OP is only lying to themselves

slippy
October 29, 2009, 02:22 AM
im sure you can find something on one piece wikia or something. just google it up

Razh
October 29, 2009, 04:01 AM
So, I'm trying to get a friend of mine to start One Piece, but he's a bit reluctant to. I tried to tell him what it was about but all it did was confuse him.

Can anybody give a concise, clear definition of what One Piece is, here? I'm not good at explaining these things. And please share as many definitions as you can, the more the better. Thanks, it would be really appreciated. =]

Definitions? You can't be serious...

Just tell him that it's a story about a teenager who wants to become a Pirate King which soon enough reaches epic proportions.
Tell him about awesome fights, awesome characters and awesome humor.
If you nag long enough he'll yield eventually; that's what friends are for.:p

ScratchmenApoo
October 29, 2009, 05:02 AM
I would say : "One of the most popular anime/manga that has the most original storyline and characters you will definitely fall in love with so you will keep watching/reading the story. Observing just a few dozens of episodes or chapters won't give you the real feeling of it so you should absolutely take the time to complete it fully. It has all of it : excitement, humor, sadness, longevity. If you don't start immediately, don't regret it later !"

beastboy
October 29, 2009, 01:34 PM
Say this to him:
"I can't define it.. google it!! But is the moast epic thing since the epic poems!!"

Dice
October 29, 2009, 02:06 PM
I'd say that it's definitely worth reading. In the beginning I didn't like the art of it very much so I didn't really read it (I guess it was Romance Dawn in Banzai! (something like the german version of shounen jump)).
But someday I was bored and watched one episode which wasn't even localized that good (but still better than Naruto though Naruto gains funny moments because of that xD). Since I saw this first episode I couldn't resist watching it and soon I started to read it and bought volume after volume, got a few for christmas, birthdays etc.. Someday I had all of them which where published here and got to wait some months for new (I believe 1-2 months per volume).
Then someday I stumbled across this page and some time later I started reading these chapters with great pleisure.
I believe that my first contact with One Piece was 8-9 years ago but still I really enjoy reading it and it's by far my favourite manga.

Btw.: I think Oda's art improved a lot and I don't like to miss his style, his humor, his characters and his sheer awesomeness (is that actually a word?).

Long story short: Try it, read it, never stop it!

Poneglyph420
October 29, 2009, 09:36 PM
If you want to get someone who is already into manga into One Piece, Just have him read up to Arlong Park and see if they stop.. If it's someone who's not into manga already then a few arcs of the anime will do as a "teaser"..

I got some buddies into it with the anime and they went back to Romance Dawn and read the manga from there...

Jiggy-Ninja
October 29, 2009, 11:10 PM
The one theme that runs through the core of One Piece more than any other is 仲間 (nakama), friend, comrade, etc. People you are very close too. In all the arcs of the story, Luffy goes to great lengths to get people he likes to join his circle of friends, and he goes to even greater lengths to protect his friends, cherishing his friends above all other things in the world. This is best seen in the Arlong arc, Enies Lobby ("You can do whatever you want with the Government, we just came to get Robin back!"), and the current Whitebeard War arc ("Ace, I'll save you even if I die!").

Acting as a stark foil to this is the Marines' and World Government's doctrine of Absolute Justice, that it is entirely permissible to kill 100 people if it would save 1,000, the Government should be obeyed without question or dissent, and that those who refuse to obey the Government should be killed.

And obviously, throw in the stuff about Devil Fruits and how plain wacky Oda gets with his character designs, especially Ivankov.

slippy
October 30, 2009, 06:41 AM
if your friend likes naruto or bleach, you might want to give up on him now

RichardMNixon
October 30, 2009, 10:22 AM
It's about pirates, meat, and awesome.

Also no training arcs.

Also also it has a skeleton musician with an afro and a man made of lightning.

Ustegius
October 30, 2009, 04:22 PM
It's about pirates, meat, and awesome.

Also no training arcs.

Also also it has a skeleton musician with an afro and a man made of lightning.

Not to mention a hentai cyborg that runs on cola and a man who can talk while holding a sword with his mouth.

BetaRuler
October 30, 2009, 06:26 PM
OI dont forget the crap chef! After the singing skeleton he's the next strongest!

Bugzee
October 31, 2009, 08:19 PM
Tell your friend to give it a chance, pressure him everyday loool and then he/she will be raving on about it all the time!!!!