PDA

View Full Version : Oda and time off?

Banedor
November 09, 2009, 03:12 PM
Anyone know where I can find a story as to why Oda seems to do 2 chapters, take a week off which happens farm more than any other author in the other manga's? I tried looking on here but couldn't find the answer nor a thread to post this question in. So if anyone can point me to a source that could answer my question, please do.

Sachsenhesse
November 09, 2009, 03:37 PM
right now i got 2 ideas for that...

1. he is a father and takes time for his child (actually he is that)
2. they do something incredible and make the anime, the movie and the mangaflowe together in some strange way...

ZenoArmani
November 09, 2009, 04:22 PM
That, and that the current chapters have such a lot going on in them with a lot of characters. He probably needs to check and recheck a lot to get it all in order, and include idea he possibly can.

Gecko Moria
November 09, 2009, 05:36 PM
Anyone know where I can find a story as to why Oda seems to do 2 chapters, take a week off which happens farm more than any other author in the other manga's?

Have you noticed One Piece also tends to better than "other manga"? As with all good things, One Piece takes time. I'm sure Oda just wants to spend some of that time on planning things out and doing research, so the readers can enjoy a worthwhile plot. There's no point rushing through and introducing plot-holes etc. especially as One Piece is in such a delicate stage at the moment. Also, the majority of mangaka don't actually get that much time off (say, one day perhaps): if they publish in the Weekly Shonen Jump, they have to work on the upcoming chapter for the whole week, so I think Oda deserves a bit of a break for producing such awesome chapters.

Spaceman-Spiff
November 09, 2009, 05:41 PM
1. He's a new father
2. He helped with story and character art/design of the upcoming movie, and maybe also the upcoming movie's artbook
3. He made One Piece vol 0, which will be serialized next month

I think he deserves the break.

Black Lagoon
November 09, 2009, 05:45 PM
For so many breaks he takes, he will never reach Oku (Gantz) the guy takes months -_-;.

IMO, it's his wife, she told him "YOU SPEND MORE TIME WITH MANGA THAN WITH ME, IT'S YOUR DECISION NOW, ME OR THE GODDAMN MANGA??", so he made a deal with her (2 weeks for Manga and 1 for Her) LMAO http://209.85.62.24/383/69/0/e387648/e387648.jpg

Organizized
November 09, 2009, 05:59 PM
As has been said, Oda just had a child and, though I don't know the international terms, at least here in Sweden you're entitled to at least 60 days (something like that, could be wrong) off from work. Two months, give or take. Oda has taken two weeks off in the last two months, at least from the manga.

Then, as Spiff up there ^ said, Oda has a lot of stuff going on. There's vol. 0 that will be released in Japan along with the movie, to which he wrote the script and probably has a lot of involvement in at the moment, and chapter 0 that will be published in Jump. All this and the manga plus his new born kid. Heck, with the war being as epic as it is (there's an unusual amount of work in each chapter, even for Oda.. drawingwise, that is) I say let him have a week's break in between chapters. :amuse

Banedor
November 09, 2009, 08:05 PM
I'm not against him taking time off, was just curious what brought it on all of a sudden. Wasn't sure if he was sick or something.

I just remember Oda wanting to finish One Piece soon because he wanted to do one more manga so again was curious why he was taking weeks off.

Thanks guys.

LoS
November 09, 2009, 08:32 PM
Not directed at anyone in particular, but people seriously need to quit their bitching.

How many mangakas create an entire backstory volume in the midst of their regular weekly chapter deadlines? How many have a hands on approach to an incredibly well looking feature length film?

They will both be worth it, and I am quite sure every fan of the manga would love reading a backstory on the Great Pirate era.

DARK
November 09, 2009, 09:01 PM
Unlike other mangaka, Oda goes on to several tangents in his series. It's not 100 chapters of the same material; rather he incorperates so many plotlines that one would question if it is the the same series. Skypiea is radically different from Thriller Bark which is radically different than Alabasta. Of course, it takes a lot of time to plan out what should be done next. It's not like Oda comes up with these ideas overnight and work with them.

Bugzee
November 10, 2009, 12:07 AM
Oda puts a lot of effort into his chapters, especially more recently with so much things happening all at once in the war. So many ideas and events to mold together in the right way so that we can enjoy it even more!!! Besides him taking time off for family reasons. IMHO, I'm suprised Oda takes a just a week to get everything checked and in-line. I mean One Piece has so much in it and it takes time to get everything correctly done Oda-style!!! Thanks Oda!!! for keeping the breaks short though!!! I couldn't survive if you took a whole month off!!!!!

Tsukisama
November 10, 2009, 02:22 AM
This really isn't something that requires much discussion. The general consensus is that Oda is taking breaks beacuse of his new baby and the movie; nothing else is being added to the discussion.

If more information on the matter becomes available at some later time, contact a moderator and the thread will be reopened. So, with that said, simply enjoy the brilliant manga that Oda produces and be ready whenever he adds more. :hbunny