PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Manga series that you'd wish would last longer?

stelok
November 17, 2009, 07:52 AM
There are some manga I wish had lasted longer.

Millennium Prime Minister
Suki (CLAMP manga)

Sadly Millennium Prime Minister manga lasted only 4 volumes. It is a shoujo romance comedy about a 16-year old down-to-earth schoolgirl who was minding her business until she ran into a strange guy who seemed enchanted with her and proclaimed her the First Lady of Japan. Then she ignored him and later on, she was shocked to learn that guy whom she ran into was the Japan's youngest prime minister (at the age of 25). I enjoyed reading this funny and sweet story until the end. But I feel that 4 volumes seemed too short. The manga should've lasted until 8th or 9th volume.

Mushashi
November 18, 2009, 02:56 AM
i could be wrong or perhaps i saw this on another forum but isnt this kinda similar to the thread manga you wish never ended? sorry if im getting confused with onemanga or something :s

Dive
November 18, 2009, 08:41 PM
Gonna have to say Bremen. It was incredibly well paced in the beginning, but towards the last 15 or so chapters, the pacing was just shot out of a cannon and ended so abrupt. I really wish it could have had a much better paced ending instead of the one it has now, and more than likely forever; I highly doubt it'll get the Shaman King treatment.

Mushashi
November 19, 2009, 01:32 AM
umm id like a few series to of lasted longer one of them being death note, and i never want gantz to end ever ever ever

destiny4ever
February 26, 2011, 06:36 PM
Double Arts. It had such a great potential for becoming an amazing manga. Unfortunately, just when things were starting to get pretty interesting and we were beginning to learn more about the characters the series got cancelled. :( I wish Double Arts would have lasted longer, especially after reading the last chapter.

Asarii
February 27, 2011, 01:21 AM
↑ This is one of those instances where the gaijin community doesn't see eye-to-eye with Japanese readers. It's really a pity.

Another manga that got cancelled was Kibengakuha Yotsuya Senpai no Kaidan (also from WSJ). The mix of mystery and the supernatural was intriguing as well as the unique artwork. Who knows what would have been in store if the manga was allowed to continue.

saladesu
February 27, 2011, 09:27 AM
Totally agree with Destiny on Double Arts. Such a pity it got canceled.

Another series I wish could have lasted a little longer would be Psyren. It had a decent ending for the time it was given, but the operative phrase here is "for the time it was given". Honestly, it could have been better if it had even a couple more weeks, which isn't something Jump couldn't have spared considering it didn't have a new series to replace Psyren for a good number of weeks :(

I also wouldn't have minded a part 2/continuation of Hana Yori Dango. It did last a good 30+ volumes, but with the kind of plot it had, it could really have gone on forever and delved into their lives when Doumyouji returned, they got married etc.

R4n
February 27, 2011, 12:26 PM
I have a feeling Otomen is reaching its ending. (or has it ended yet?)
It is such a good and unusual shoujo manga. There are lots of interesting characters, you are most likely to find one you really like. I will be very sad to see it end.
Even though i am happy with its ending, i would love to see a continuation of Harlem Beat and Slam Dunk.

Clover (by Clamp) is an unfortunate series where it was forced to end without conclusion because the publisher went bankrupt.

I really love Hikaru no Go, and i feel sad to see it end with an open ending so abruptly. I feel that there are a lot more stories that can be told. D:

Kaiten
February 27, 2011, 09:52 PM
Millennium Snow felt to short. It's only two volumes, probably by design, but the main romance felt rushed. Another volume or two would have given more time for the pairing to develop more naturally. Otherwise a good manga.

destiny4ever
February 27, 2011, 09:55 PM
I also wouldn't have minded a part 2/continuation of Hana Yori Dango. It did last a good 30+ volumes, but with the kind of plot it had, it could really have gone on forever and delved into their lives when Doumyouji returned, they got married etc. I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who had wished for that. ^_^ I have always thought that it would be pretty nice and cool if we were to have another season of the J-drama or a continuation of the manga. I would have no problem continue to accompany Tsukasa and Makino in the new chapter of their lives as a married couple, and I would also like to know more about the lives of the other members of the F4 after they graduated from H.S. :)

M3J
February 27, 2011, 11:18 PM
I wish Yu Yu Hakusho and Psyren lasted longer. I would have liked to see some of the fights in the last tournament, like Mokuro, Yomi, Yusuke, Kurama, and Hiei fighting, especially Yusuke vs. Yomi. Same with Psyren... the final fight was seriously lacking. Moar fights plz.

Asarii
February 28, 2011, 02:36 AM
Another series I wish could have lasted a little longer would be Psyren. It had a decent ending for the time it was given, but the operative phrase here is "for the time it was given". Honestly, it could have been better if it had even a couple more weeks, which isn't something Jump couldn't have spared considering it didn't have a new series to replace Psyren for a good number of weeks :(

I wish Yu Yu Hakusho and Psyren lasted longer. I would have liked to see some of the fights in the last tournament, like Mokuro, Yomi, Yusuke, Kurama, and Hiei fighting, especially Yusuke vs. Yomi. Same with Psyren... the final fight was seriously lacking. Moar fights plz.

Count me in as another one who would've liked Psyren to have continued. I could tell there was a lot more in store for the characters; most unfortunately it'll never be told. :( The series had a lot of potential, and it's just too bad.

Schabrak
March 02, 2011, 10:35 PM
Seems like I will have to jump onto the HYD bandwagoon too. But we can't do much about the fact, that most of the shoujo romances end after they leave high school. Koukou Debut is one of those too. Just when Kawaharas art had grown so much, it was already over. Cat Street[from Kamio "HYD" too] was one of my best reads in the past years, had a wonderful conclusion, but more wouldn't have damaged anyone. XD There's also Midori no Hibi and GTO for the comedy. Luckily the later one got a spin-off, but I don't like the change of places so much.

In the scanlation department I would like to see Crimson Hero being done again. :/ As well as those few last chapter for Matsuri special.

destiny4ever
March 04, 2011, 11:39 PM
I don’t remember seeing you in the OC, so welcome to the OC and to this thread, Schabrak! :)

Seems like I will have to jump onto the HYD bandwagoon too.
It is cool to meet another HYD fan. ^_^ Just out of curiosity, have you only read the manga or have you also watched the anime and the live-action versions of it?

Cat Street[from Kamio "HYD" too] was one of my best reads in the past years, had a wonderful conclusion, but more wouldn't have damaged anyone. XD
I read and liked Cat Street as well. http://planetsmilies.net/kaos-animal-bunny-smiley-6080.gif (http://planetsmilies.net) I was satisfied with the ending, but as you said, a special chapter or chapters wouldn’t hurt. ;)

I would love to read a chapter about Keito and Kouichi’s wedding, and another one where we see Rei with a good girl who loves him very much. :) Just like Rui in HYD, he also deserves to find love and be happy.

Asarii
March 05, 2011, 02:17 AM
I wanted Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro to last longer. Its length and ending was fine the way it was so the reason is purely selfish. There was a moment in the series where I became enchanted, and I remember spending an entire night reading it. I wanted to know what was going to happen next so I quickly devoured the chapters.

Imagine if I was reading it while it was still on-going: the whole week would be agonizing in a good way. It'd be tough, but I think the reading experience would be much more exciting. This is a weird reason; I know. :p

igotthegoods
March 05, 2011, 10:48 PM
Oh my gosh. Asa, you've just made up my mind to make finishing Neuro next on my list! Thank you! :hi5 (I love the way you said you "devoured" the chapters. Very appropriate for this manga. :XD)

I feel the exact same way about Fullmetal Alchemist as you do about Neuro. I was very satisfied with the ending and the length, but I would want it to continue for purely selfish reasons (like one of my favorite pairings finally getting together officially :p). It's my favorite manga after all, so I can't help but want more. :3

I completely agree with destiny about Double Arts. I was finally really getting into it at the time it was cancelled. I would've loved to see where the story was going. :darn

And although this one hasn't officially been cancelled (it's on a long-term hiatus and will *hopefully* return... sometime :darn), I'd love to read more of Nana. The point where it left off was not a good or satisfying stopping point. A major event just occurred and there are so many things that are unresolved. If it ends like this, I will be quite disappointed. :(

Schabrak
March 06, 2011, 09:16 AM
Nana is probably the one manga, that every reader that came into contact with it, would like to see a satisfying ending to. The big climax has already happened, and just when Asami poked Nana onto her path to her future, it was over...

destiny4ever
I got it waiting for me in my compendium of anime, but so do a mass of other awesome ones, so I will likely never get to it.^^ Can't really bring me to watch 26+ episode anime adaptions of works I've already spend so much time on readind already.

jorped
March 08, 2011, 09:26 AM
i only read until now 2 mangas that are already completed , and those were Death Note and Slam Dunk.

About Death Note i think that it ended in the perfect time , the end was amazing and it would be risky to try to prolong it a bit more , cuz it could ruin the masterpiece that it was until then.

About Slam Dunk i dont feel that way , i think it could have had been going for much more time :crying
I read the whole chapters in so few time and that proves that Slam Dunk managed to grab my attention i only wished Inoue had continued writing it cuz it still had a lot of potential and it would definitely had been great to see maybe, a more mature Sakuragi in America , and see what happened to the rest of the other members like Rukawa , Akagi , Mitsui , ......
And it would be great to see Sakuragi and Haruko ended together

Asarii
March 09, 2011, 10:42 PM
Oh my gosh. Asa, you've just made up my mind to make finishing Neuro next on my list! Thank you! :hi5 (I love the way you said you "devoured" the chapters. Very appropriate for this manga. :XD)

I feel the exact same way about Fullmetal Alchemist as you do about Neuro. I was very satisfied with the ending and the length, but I would want it to continue for purely selfish reasons (like one of my favorite pairings finally getting together officially :p). It's my favorite manga after all, so I can't help but want more. :3
Hurray! I'm glad I inspired you to finish Neuro. :hi5 The series could be summed up as an "adrenaline rush". (Thank you for liking my puns. XD)

There was a sequel chapter for FMA that was released a short while afterwards; it was really sweet. I wouldn't even mind a yonkama, but it would be nice if Arakawa-sensei gave us news about what the world is like post-FMA.

rudorofu
January 29, 2012, 04:18 PM
There have been some one-shots that I wish weren't one-shots...even though they were pretty decent on their own. In terms of series, I wish Shinshi Doumei Cross would have lasted longer because I was saddened when the news of the last chapter being released was out ): Similarly, I hoped that Tanemura Arina's Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne continued as well.

MisaoFan
January 31, 2012, 03:06 AM
The only manga I really wish would last longer was Mayoi Neko Overrun! : I'm really sad. Poor anime DVD/BD sales, poor manga sales (which led to cancellation with 2 volumes) and even the light novel changed illustrators and last with 12 volumes instead of continuing longer:mono.

Enn
February 02, 2012, 09:55 AM
Me and the Devil Blues. It was really interesting, I felt a bit disappointed when I read that it was discontinued.

Jammin
February 03, 2012, 10:14 PM
Mx0, I think that was a series deserving of a lot more time than it got.

And, though it's not finished yet, Naruto. I just think it's rushing toward and ending now and it would have been a lot better off if it hadn't done that. Instead opting to continue following the characters growth maybe even till they got as old as 19 or 20 and let all the various plotlines follow a much more natural course.

naruto-niichan
February 04, 2012, 08:05 AM
I guess I'm one of the few people who were sad when Ane Doki was canceled :( It was a lovely story with good art, the rushed ending didn't satisfy me one bit.

I wouldn't mind for FMA to continue and show a bit of their new journey. The ending was perfect but I really miss this great manga.

phio_chan
February 04, 2012, 08:54 AM
In terms of series, I wish Shinshi Doumei Cross would have lasted longer because I was saddened when the news of the last chapter being released was out ): Similarly, I hoped that Tanemura Arina's Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne continued as well.

I agree with you about this. Actually not to last very long. but just one or two extra chapters about how the the characters lived after sorting things out would be a great thing to see. ^^ Thinking about it we actually did see some for Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne~ But it was too short! :bored

I actually wish the series I'm currently re-reading, Kekkon Shiyou Yo (Let's Get Married), to last longer for the same reason above. I wish I could see more of what would happen next, how the newly married couple sort things out, and also to see the future of romance life of the other couple. It would be nice to see that. :P