PDA

View Full Version : Is Ace really Luffy's brother?

mugen
October 24, 2006, 03:52 PM
Don't read this if you're not up to date on one piece I mean it !!!!!!!!!!!! :noworry

Spoiler tag removed. No discussion of the spoilers outside of the spoiler section until the chapter is released. /~Hermie

Natan
October 24, 2006, 03:56 PM
maybe ace have his mother surname because he and luffy are very alike(really very alike)

infyquest
October 24, 2006, 04:08 PM
Maybe, Generally children inherit fathers surname not mothers :?

jeffhmwong
October 25, 2006, 01:29 AM
Maybe they are not blood related, just the result of a one night stand.

Anti-panda
October 28, 2006, 11:10 PM
garp himself said he left luffy and ace with a friend to train ... so I'd say yes.

ikuroi
October 29, 2006, 04:54 AM
Halfbrothers or Ace just really dont like the monkey name for some reason

Dark Zeza
October 29, 2006, 08:46 AM
Yea, maybe he change his last name or something.

Koyuki
October 29, 2006, 09:33 AM
There are other theories, which now seem to be more false than true, that say that the 'Monkey' or 'Portugas' parts of their names are nothing more than nicknames, given to them because of their personality.

For Luffy's side, it sort of fits. I mean, Luffy is pretty monkey-like.

Although...
With both Garp and Dragon also having this Monkey thing tacked onto their names, it seems that is an actual name, and not just a nickname.

neild
October 30, 2006, 10:13 AM
Name doesnt matter. I myself have a different surename with my sister. No problem right?

mugen
November 24, 2006, 09:26 PM
I want the official word but now i want to know how come Whitebeard got to Ace before Shanks
he would've been in a much cooler crew

triniman121
November 25, 2006, 12:12 AM
i think it's maybe.. ace could've changed his name while being out on the seas

mugen
November 25, 2006, 12:43 AM
i think it's maybe.. ace could've changed his name while being out on the seas

yeah but why would he do it?

Mugiwara_no_Jack
November 25, 2006, 01:54 AM
He's definitvely Luffy's brother.

I don't think that the difference of the name is important.

Freakzin
November 25, 2006, 10:47 AM
i thought of something, i think he is luffy's brother and the reason they have different surnames,is like
ace is supposed to be a famous pirate right
if his name was monkey d. ace, than since the begginin of the anime, everyone would know luffy is ace's brother
it wouldn't be cool at all, so for everyone to be shocked when he first appeared he put different surnames in them
the reason they have different surnames in the anime, oda will tell us later, but i think that this is why.

fixed a wrong part thx liqiud

Liqiud
November 25, 2006, 04:15 PM
Eheh, the surname of the other is Monkey, not Luffy....

JoJoJO
November 25, 2006, 04:23 PM
I think Ace change his name for some unknown reason. We will eventually find out why he change his name.

Rokudaime Hokage
December 13, 2006, 02:32 PM
I think Ace is Luffy's second cousin. Imo Monkey D. Dragon, Gol D. Roger and Portgaz D. something where first cousins.

triniman121
December 13, 2006, 11:09 PM
i think dragon has alot to do with ace's name.. maybe they have different names becuase of protection for pirates,WG, or other people o.o

Efreet
December 14, 2006, 07:39 AM
i think Ds can only pass their family name only to on child and Dragon chose to give it to Luffy instead of Ace

mugen
December 14, 2006, 05:11 PM
i think Ds can only pass their family name only to on child and Dragon chose to give it to Luffy instead of Ace

that sounds so lame

Pevee
December 14, 2006, 10:33 PM
that sounds so lame

lol, that was ....er.... to the point i guess.
to me, the theory seems very unlikely, why would dragon give it to luffy instead of the all-powerful ace??

mugen
December 14, 2006, 10:43 PM
true i mean both should have the name
and really we've never heard Garp call ace grandson so it's unknown

Raseru
December 17, 2006, 03:32 AM
Maybe he changed it because he thought it sounded cool and it suited his devil fruit ability. Eh, I voted yes because my gut told me to...

mugen
December 17, 2006, 10:56 AM
we'll know when we see a D. family reunion
which will never happen by the way

jeffhmwong
December 19, 2006, 05:12 AM
Y not?

I think a reunion is possible, not in a good way

however,

I guess they will meet up in battle..

Efreet
December 19, 2006, 06:44 AM
a reunion in the form of a battle is nice

Seiken
December 19, 2006, 06:52 AM
Remember folks, that when Garp meet up with Luffy he said that he left him AND Ace behind at a friend of Garp so he could train them.

If Luffy and Ace grew up together, it would seem like they are indeed brothers.

Efreet
December 19, 2006, 07:38 AM
Remember folks, that when Garp meet up with Luffy he said that he left him AND Ace behind at a friend of Garp so he could train them.

If Luffy and Ace grew up together, it would seem like they are indeed brothers.

i agree with you

mugen
December 19, 2006, 10:18 AM
but why different names?

Absolutio
December 23, 2006, 11:55 AM
Maybe they have different fathers?

check0r
December 23, 2006, 12:05 PM
i dont think he is his brother but it can be that he was found from Luffy's father monkey d. Dragon.
who knows i think we will know it someday.

mugen
December 23, 2006, 05:59 PM
i dont think he is his brother but it can be that he was found from Luffy's father monkey d. Dragon.
who knows i think we will know it someday.

so you're saying that Ace was adopted meaning no, he's not really Luffy's brother

Efreet
December 24, 2006, 01:42 AM
my guess is half-brothers..same mother different father.. Ace's father died killed by Dragon and so was his wife for not being faithful :darn then Dragon hands them over to old Garp who gives them to Whoop Slap(just a guess) :p

jeffhmwong
December 24, 2006, 06:50 AM
Efreet ....this is manga la...u think Soap Opera meh....

Errmmm....maybe u could be right also.....OP is full of suprises...

NinjAngel
January 07, 2007, 01:21 PM
I think they are actual brothers.

Ace is 3 years older than Luffy, isn't he? He could have known about the issue with Dragon if he was of on Revolutionary activities and the like when Ace was younger, and before Luffy was born. Ace didn't want to get tangled up in the mess, so he changed his name. He also never told Luffy about their father, because by then, Dragon was only known by that--Just "Dragon"--so there was no need to change his name.

If that makes any sense...well...whatever. XD That's just what I think, anyway.

mugen
January 07, 2007, 01:24 PM
yeah but that would not make sense
I mean Ace is a pirate not a marine meaning no need to be ashamed of his name...

sushi
January 11, 2007, 08:13 AM
he is luffy's brother completely..................said it himself the name does not matter since he change it for any reason like not wanting people take him as dragon's son

NinjAngel
January 14, 2007, 05:19 PM
Well, I thought he would have changed his name, anyway. If he was somehow connected to Dragon, then wouldn't the Marines want him all the more?

Well, whatever. Ace + Luffy = Brothers. XD

mugen
January 14, 2007, 09:29 PM
Well, I thought he would have changed his name, anyway. If he was somehow connected to Dragon, then wouldn't the Marines want him all the more?

Well, whatever. Ace + Luffy = Brothers. XD

yeah but what could be the reason for Ace changing his name that would be so great
I mean ...
wait a minute if Ace did change his name how come Luffy didn't say anything about his name when they saw each other last time so that is in fact his name, meaning that they maybe are not brothers or that Portgas might be their mother's name or they might just not be realted.....by blood......

NinjAngel
January 15, 2007, 01:25 PM
Gragh!

I am, officially, confused.

For now, there are just so many holes in whatever theory we come up with. I'm content to just say they are brothers, and wait for Oda to tell us the difference. XD

OP_overlord
January 15, 2007, 02:26 PM
i like mugen theories that luffy took dragons name and ace there moms name same parents just different last names and they are blodd related

NinjAngel
January 16, 2007, 07:41 PM
Hm...I wonder why they would have done that, though. Or, if there was a reason for that, like, some kind of custom in their family. *is probably thinking too hard on this one*

OP_overlord
January 16, 2007, 10:20 PM
yeah i know it was just an idea idkif it would work out like that

sushi
January 17, 2007, 06:37 AM
yeah if ace isn't luffy's brother why he want to go all out because of luffy??

mugen
January 17, 2007, 07:31 PM
man i just hate the fact that Eiichiro had to make Ace a subordinate :noworry
I mean Ace is just too cool to be a subordinate and worse he's not even in Shanks crew...
he's in Whitebeards a once great pirate..
and still not a cool one :scry
and worse he tried to invite his bro to that crew..
anyways
Ace's name can not just go without meaning ..
i mean it is another mystery..
but I think that Oda just did it cuz Monkey D. Ace sounds lame :nana

OP_overlord
January 17, 2007, 07:42 PM
yeah but every one calls him firefirst ace so his real name means nothin and i like the fact that he is helping WB to become pirate king it is a different dream from luffys but i really wanted ace to help luffy become pirate king and he would join the crew luffy asks him too to
and WB is a great pirate and he is just as strong if not stronger then shanks but shanks is still better to me

OP_overlord
January 19, 2007, 12:16 PM
I think Ace is not Luffy's brother ....

Furtheron I am sure that Ace is the son of Shanks. Shanks interest in a crewmember of WB is too serious. Oda likes to draw related people in similar way. Look at the apperance from Ace and Shanks. They look identical !!!

I think the real name of Shanks is Portgas D. Shanks and he is one of the mysterious people connected with the D's at all. My opinion for the D is (i told it elsewhere) that D is the abbreviation of the lost island and the will of D is not the will of Gol D. Rogers but the will of the lost island 800 years before.

I think Ace and Luffy which haven't seen their fathers (Dragon, Shanks) have grown up together and feel like brothers but they shouldn't be real brothers.

The relationship between them is more fate and the D. They are from the spreaded inhabitents from the lost island ;)

i like it
shanks haveing a strong son and he could have left ace at fussa (what ever teh name of the island was) with luffy adn they grew up together and they could be related throught the will of D.
but why if ace was teh son of a pirate would garp have given him to a friend to train to become a marine

Innerhell
January 19, 2007, 12:31 PM
The reason why Ace changed his last name is the same reason why Marshall D. Teach calls himself "Blackbeard" and Edward Newgate calls himself "Whitebeard". Pirates deserve cool aliases for two reasons: for the sake of coolness and for the sake of keeping their old lives tucked away into obscurity and oblivion.

The reason why Ace and Luffy are related are more than obvious. Appearance, personality, narcolepsy (sleeping disorder), appetite, being laidback. All of these features are seen in Luffy, Ace and Garp.

Come to think of it, it would be amusing if Dragon also suffers from a voracious appetite and a sleeping disorder, but being the big bad mysterious antihero that he is, he's probably taking some medication for his narcolepsy. Can't cause revolution and chaos while sleeping on the job now. My guess that a family reunion between Luffy and Dragon would involve a massive feast and random narcoleptic knock outs.

OP_overlord
January 19, 2007, 12:35 PM
yeah it would be funny if Oda ment to draw dragon holding back smokers sword in the lougetown arc while dragon was sleeping

OP_overlord
January 19, 2007, 11:00 PM
ill admit it would be kool

Dark^_^Chi
January 21, 2007, 02:56 PM
I think that Ruff and Ace are only adopted brothers, Because they don't have the same surname, only had the same D.
I don't kwon why he and Ruff did trainer together, but for me they don't blood related brother...
Bjux!!

triniman121
January 21, 2007, 11:19 PM
i'm still with my opinion that aace chaned him name on purpose since only few know that some of the most infamous people on all of OP belongs to one family:D

jeffhmwong
January 22, 2007, 06:29 AM
I guess we will know this when the family reunite.

Perhaps Ace change his name (to WB's name) to show his loyalty?

mugen
January 22, 2007, 06:01 PM
i'm still with my opinion that aace chaned him name on purpose since only few know that some of the most infamous people on all of OP belongs to one family:D

why would he change his name?
and if he did why did Luffy not notice when they reunited?
think about it....

NinjAngel
January 22, 2007, 06:12 PM
I'm all for the "taking his mother's name" idea, just because I want them to be related.

Actually, my sister and I were talking the other day, and we thought Ace looked more like Dragon than Luffy did. And, seeing as Luffy kind of looks like Shanks, and common sense (to an extent) makes it so that Luffy must look like his mom if not his dad, then Shanks could be related on the mom's side. Whether or not he knows it is up to Oda. XD Yay crack theory!

mugen
January 22, 2007, 06:21 PM
yeah I believe that as well
but then again that would make me wonder why is it....
that both of their parents left them?

OP_overlord
January 22, 2007, 08:52 PM
well dragon had to take over eh world and his mom could have left with him, died, done her own thing, or stayed in there lives and we just dont know it yet

jeffhmwong
January 23, 2007, 06:48 AM
U mean shanks n drragon married the same lady.......give birth to ace n luffy???

Same mother and diff father??

Ace to shank
&
Luffy to dragon?

mugen
January 23, 2007, 04:55 PM
I don't know if anyone has looked at the picture in my last comment perhaps I made an error as a newbie but there must be at least a link.

For me it is clear that Ace is not the brother of Luffy and I am sure that Ace is the son of Shanks. After the explainations of Luffy's grandfather and his feelings for Shanks (He seems to hate him !). Shanks can also be son in law of Garp and so Luffy and Ace have the same grandfather.

It would make sense because this would explain how Ace has become a crewmember of Whitebeard who has been in the new world while Ace began his life as a pirate. Think of it, Shanks has started his life on a pirate ship and learned from the pirate king to be a pirate so whom who would he let teach his own kid ? Surely Whitebeard because Shanks respects him.

For me it's clear Ace isn't Luffy's real brother, they are related, Shanks is Ace's father. Ace could be related with Luffy and it would make sense if Ace is the son of the daughter of Garp.

At least we will see it ;)

well I kinda agree but really i don't cuz ...
Wouldn't Ace be better off with Shanks, not a man who's time is almost up?
and if Shanks was his father why did Shanks not stop Ace himself?
instead of going to WhiteBeard?

my perfect palindrome 1441 is ruined because of this post :scry

Naota
January 23, 2007, 05:11 PM
I want the official word but now i want to know how come Whitebeard got to Ace before Shanks
he would've been in a much cooler crew

I don't even think Shanks was on the island when Ace was still living there.

mugen
January 23, 2007, 05:14 PM
I don't even think Shanks was on the island when Ace was still living there.

umm...
he was Ace just left the village three years before Luffy...
but he was there :noworry

how else would Shanks know Ace?
I mean Ace was in the village when shanks was there..
Imean Shanks stayed there for a year :noworry

Naota
January 23, 2007, 08:33 PM
umm...
he was Ace just left the village three years before Luffy...
but he was there :noworry

how else would Shanks know Ace?
I mean Ace was in the village when shanks was there..
Imean Shanks stayed there for a year :noworry

I highly doubt Ace was living there at the time Shanks was on the island. And about how Shanks would know about Ace. I mean Ace is one of the strongest captains on WB's crew. Why wouldn't he know about him? =/

mugen
January 23, 2007, 08:41 PM
I give up ..

anyways
Ace has a different name for a reason...
and it's not to sound cool.

OP_overlord
January 23, 2007, 09:05 PM
how is that a spolier moment and ace a nd shanks works
the reason that shanks went to WB first was all about respect even tho it hes his dad WB is still a guy you dont wanna mess with and they like to do things there way, mihawk did the same thing with shanks when he told him about luffy (but we didnt think that luffy was related to mihawk but w/e)

NinjAngel
January 24, 2007, 04:34 PM
I don't know anymore.

All I know, is that Shanks is NOT Ace's father. (actually, I don't KNOW that. It just makes sense)

I honestly don't think Shanks is related to any of them. At the very least, he knew Dragon.

jeffhmwong
January 28, 2007, 03:33 AM
I guess shanks change his name...maybe to follow WB?

OP_overlord
January 28, 2007, 10:51 PM
why would shanks follow WB they are rivials

shanks copuld have the same name as ace that would be cool and unexpected in teh story line ace could join his crew and take him to luffy with the use of that paper

xr3b0rn5inx
January 30, 2007, 11:23 AM
Portgas.D.Ace =.=
Monkey.D.Luffy their names arent even the same

Maybe the parents found one of them frum the roadside,hahaha.

OP_overlord
January 30, 2007, 09:22 PM
they areboth adopted that is funny and if it was true even funnier

Tiger D. Kasthuren
February 03, 2007, 01:34 PM
:offtopic But just wondering how Ace is related to Luffy. How can he be the brother of Luffy, when he is not named Monkey D. Ace ... Luffy's dad: Monkey D. Dragon ... Luffy's granddad: Monkey D. Gawp ... maybe Portgas is the mother of Luffy and Ace ... somebody who knows?

Moved to the right thread. Luckas

mugen
February 03, 2007, 06:21 PM
aww
whicj is why Ace did not die :noworry
cuz we still have to know that..
but Mugen wonders what did Ace trigger?

OP_overlord
February 03, 2007, 07:59 PM
did it have to be ace it could have been luffy attacking teh WG

mugen
February 03, 2007, 09:58 PM
did it have to be ace it could have been luffy attacking teh WG

no it was ace cuz oda said so

OP_overlord
February 03, 2007, 11:57 PM
ok that is all i wanted to know
how did shanks know that ace triggered something while he was talking to WB

NinjAngel
February 05, 2007, 05:38 PM
Ace triggered something? When did that happen? Maybe my mind went crazy or something...

They're related until further notice. How 'bout that? XD

mugen
February 05, 2007, 05:45 PM
did you not read chapter 441?
look here (http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UQCqD9EW5XpKBpmmSKl7T53diIED3xnbwr7VIzCr01twQFfa*5oayMO6rsguaZppoBIaNjFfhHV8SDXZ4Yg6X3fZaMa3EJKbnVUWKsz9!hBiP8QLddBDZmPiw6KQwP!X/441%20-%2016.jpg?dc=4675606790803001774)

NinjAngel
February 05, 2007, 06:17 PM
OH YEAH! THAT trigger. I wanna know now, too. I wonder how big it's gonna be?

Efreet
February 05, 2007, 08:02 PM
lol.. no offense but the trigger should be discussed on the other topic...

about Shanks being Ace' father.. i don't know..

Portgas D. Shanks??

OP_overlord
February 05, 2007, 08:21 PM
yeah but it would make to a great twist and not do anything really cause luffy thinks shanks more of a father then dragon

KuraiOfAnagura
February 06, 2007, 03:56 PM
Portgas D. Shanks?
no, that sounds wrong to me.
my opinion is it is all Ods fault. we all know that he hasn't planned the first mangas in a structure. and we all know that Oda lives for this shock moments and he realy didn't plan any further, so he gave the cool, strong elder brother a cool stronger name, than the weaker funny luffy.
and i suppose that odatchi will give us a explanation at the D. reunion, which, i hope so, will be in the new world and very soon.

shanks was on rogers ship (like buggy) and if dragon's realy rogers navigator (which seems obviously to me) dragon could let his sons in shanks care, because he was hunted by WG or marines.
the reason why ace didn't appear in the first chapters was that oda hasn't had him in mind.

anybody against tht?

Absolutio
February 10, 2007, 03:39 PM
maybe oda hadnt had him in mind back then, but i dont think that this Portagas last name is just a mistake/something without reason Oda made. It doesnt have to be something of big importance, but it is just a "something".

OP_overlord
February 11, 2007, 12:30 AM
in the mind of Oda noting is a "something" (that doesnt make perfect sence but what ever) it will become of so import later and it will be nothin we could have seen coming

Anti-panda
February 11, 2007, 12:54 AM
Portgas D. Shanks... LOL :s
No way... can't be.
My guess is that the event ace triggered will be when whitebeard discovers BB beat ace. Not killed .. Beat. There now i'm on topic.
Lets face it whitebeard making anykind of move will be astounding. Now if BB hands Ace over to the world govt. And becomes a shinchibukai. Then whitebeard moving against BB would be Whitebeard moving against the world govt.
That would be Insane. And would also be a huge event. The worlds strongest man and the man closest to becoming pirate king .. attacking the world govt. :o
This thought of mine gets really interesting when you stop and consider that A certain REVOLUTIONARY, Who is also surprisingly also connected to luffy, would probably be very interested in anyone of importance making a move on the world govt. :spaz
A event of this magnitude could tie together 90 - 100% of the threads in one piece.

Also we have no clue what shanks last name is. Or if it's even important. But I hope he isn't a D. I don't want all the cool strong people (not mugiwara's) to be D.'s!!

mugen
February 11, 2007, 02:57 PM
no!!
that would make Luffy's crew look weak again...
I mean right now the Mugiwara crew is the only one that has waged war on the World Government :noworry

anyways you could be right Anti-Panda

NinjAngel
February 15, 2007, 12:37 PM
Hm...Well, I could kind of see that happening. I'd kinda rather it didn't, but I could still see it happening.

We are KINDA getting off topic....and I have no idea how to get back on, either.

mugen
February 15, 2007, 09:10 PM
well If
Ace really was killed by Blackbeard...
it won't be as dramatic :scry
anyways now that i remember Ace has too many traits like tho of Luffy and Garp...
and could be he got his politeness from Dragon :noworry
so it can't be doubted....
but then again He has a different name....
but then again the Mayor of Luffy's Village did sa y all three generations were bad so it can be assumed he was talking about Dragon, Ace and Luffy....

Killmnky7
February 15, 2007, 09:14 PM
but then again the Mayor of Luffy's Village did sa y all three generations were bad so it can be assumed he was talking about Dragon, Ace and Luffy....

but if u go by generations it cant be those three cuz luffy and ace are in the same generation. it would be Garp(grandfather), Dragon(father), and Ace/Luffy(son) see how that goes.

mugen
February 15, 2007, 09:15 PM
but Garp is no trouble or menace...
he's a marine :noworry
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/9437/chapter44003wt2.th.png (http://img401.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chapter44003wt2.png)

OP_overlord
February 15, 2007, 10:19 PM
i think that what he ment by that was that grap is a prob because hes allowing his son and grandsons to run aroung wild and not do anything to stop them (so they think)

i did think that they were blood related but that says that luffy is the strongest man from teh east blue but ace has a higher bounty so that would mean that a) noone from home liked ace or b) ace didnt live with luffy and they ment while traing and are only brother is the sence of the word not by blood

mugen
February 15, 2007, 10:23 PM
AWW!!!
why did Oda make something so simple complicated? :scry
anyways if Ace was adopted who or where was he from?
and is he still a D. if he's not Luffy's brother?

OP_overlord
February 15, 2007, 10:26 PM
just cause you have the D doesnt make you blood reletives just related to the Will of D and thus like brothers

Oda likes to mess with us that is why he made it complicated

and the two of them had to meet some time and that as at the trainging with garp so he could be from anywhere and garp just found him and trained him like his own grandson like he did with coby and hellempo in the mini arc

mugen
February 15, 2007, 10:28 PM
yeah so he's not his brother...
well that sucks....
but then again would explain why Ace really doesn't have an ego :rofl

OP_overlord
February 15, 2007, 10:32 PM
did i just change your choice cause in the prosses i changed mine i went wihth yes but now im thinking no

mugen
February 15, 2007, 10:34 PM
no i'm neutral about it :noworry
I mean I want Ace to be Luffy's blood brother but i won't be dissapointed if he's not...
I mean Ace is too great to not have his own crew...
I mean as great as Whitebeard is, he's a giant....and in his last days...
and he's not deserving of Ace :noworry

OP_overlord
February 15, 2007, 10:37 PM
true but it would cause alot more problems in the OP world if he had a crew what with his dad, grampa, shanks (like father) and if his bro had a crew he would have to fight him and beat him too its better this way but i would want to see who would be on it

mugen
February 15, 2007, 10:43 PM
well he is gonna have to fight Luffy if Mugiwaras and whitebeard fight...
so it wouldn't make a difference if he has his own crew....
Ace had some lame words cool, but really lame I mean can somebody explain to me how whitebeard has not become Pirate King? and his time is almost done....
anyways I hope Shanks finishes Whitbeard's era and Ace starts his crew and no more of this http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/6704/page19eg4.th.png (http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?image=page19eg4.png)

evozoku
February 16, 2007, 11:45 AM
Okay, here's my idea. When Garp is talking about leaving Luffy and Ace on the island, he mentions another name as well. I don't recall this name, whether it was male or female. So two possibilities. Their mother's surname, or the surname of the person Garp left them with is Portgas, and because Dragon is the most wanted man in the world, of course they'd have to hide the name Monkey. So why then is Luffy still "Monkey D. Luffy"? Think about his personality, especially when he was a kid. If he didn't want to change his surname, he wasn't going to change his surname! Ace seems more sensible and would have complied.

(you may wonder if Luffy would have been too young to make that decision, but there's the picture of Luffy when Garp is "training/being cruel" to him, and he's not incredibly young. And taht would have been before the point that Garp left them with the friend on the island. Plenty old enough to be stubborn about having to change his name.)

Correction: it was the mayor that mentioned the other person, who's name is Dadan.

mugen
February 16, 2007, 11:52 AM
but what would be the reason for Ace changing his name?
and if he did he must've done so when he was little....
anyways if Ace isn't Luffy's brother is he still a D.?
cuz then he would be adopted into the D. family...

evozoku
February 16, 2007, 02:00 PM
The reason I believe that they MUST be related in some way (and closely related) is that Ace spontaneously falls asleep just like Garp, and we know that Garp is Luffy's grandpa (this trait is more prevelant than it is in Luffy, and no seen in anyone else so far. It's Oda's way of showing the close relation.) If they're not full brothers, then maybe half brothers, though a situation to cause that seems unlikely for One Piece. If they're not brothers at all, then maybe cousins, and for some reason Garp took both of them in.

mugen
February 16, 2007, 02:15 PM
so they are not brothers :scry
anyways I wonder if there is another Portgas?

evozoku
February 16, 2007, 02:45 PM
In the end I'm saying the are brothers (at the very least they are closely related)

mugen
February 16, 2007, 03:24 PM
but the that would mean they are not blood related :oh
which is what i'm asking :noworry
I mean it just would be stupid for Ace to have a different name....for no reason

LongShot
February 16, 2007, 03:50 PM
evozoku said somethink I was think too...

maybe Ace change his name cuz Dragon is the most wanted criminal in the world and Gast an adimiral marine...so he just doesnt want that everybody knows that he has a relationship with then (both are Monkey D. )

mugen
February 16, 2007, 03:54 PM
that would be a pretty dumb reason
and if it was true why would Luffy not say anything about Ace changing his Name when they met again in Alabasta?

evozoku
February 16, 2007, 04:54 PM
are you saying that because I say that it's possible they're not brothers that they're not blood related (cousins would be blood related too)?

I'm saying the reason Ace changed his name is because when they were young, whoever was watching over them changed their name to protect them (following?). So, why is Luffy still Monkey then? Because he refused to change it! It's just a theory, but Luffy would be stubborn like that. Ace is the more sensible one and would have either obeyed or understood why they were told to go by the name Portgas instead.

mugen
February 16, 2007, 04:59 PM
I mean over that?
Dragon was not considered a major threat to the world government till like 5 years ago in the One Piece world...
and I doubt Ace chaged his name cuz of that I mean Ace is a pirate I mean he'll already be a criminal so what difference would it make?

ForteAnly
February 16, 2007, 09:39 PM
It could also be that Ace is Luffy's step brother assuming the whole Monkey D, and Portagas D. Other than that Ace has to be Luffy's bro.

mugen
February 16, 2007, 09:46 PM
yeah but i'm saying it wuold mean that ......
some weird stuff was going on in One Piece
anyways I'm sure that if there is a reason for Ace having a different last name is cuz of his mom or he's not really Luffy's brother :noworry

Anti-panda
February 17, 2007, 01:20 AM
yeah but i'm saying it wuold mean that ......
some weird stuff was going on in One Piece
anyways I'm sure that if there is a reason for Ace having a different last name is cuz of his mom or he's not really Luffy's brother :noworry

Well considering they were both in Garps care they share a Grandpa soo... If luffy and Ace have different parents ... it can only be thier mother ... because they are linked to garp through dragon. Otherwise they would have different grandparents.

evozoku
February 17, 2007, 09:47 AM
First, Dragon was only considered a major threat starting 5 years ago? Second, I agree with Anti-panda that Garp has to be both their grandpa, but if they have different mothers, they would still have the same surname, since they still have the common father.

I've diagramed this out, and assuming Garp is the grandpa of both of them, their are only 2 possibilities:

1. Ace changed his surname (most likely by far)

2. Garp has a son AND DAUGHTER (Ace's mother), and so Ace would have a different surname. Of course in this situation they would then be cousins, and would the D. name still be inherited from the mother? (so I think this one is unlikely)

KuraiOfAnagura
February 17, 2007, 05:35 PM
at Wednesday i wrote my pre-final exams in biology.
for training I made a crossing sheme about the narcolepsy in Ruffy’s family.
it is no real proof, that Ace is Ruffy’s full brother, because there are many “what if”’s in it. but it’s kinda funny :smile-big

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8048/familyofd1bl9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Garp at first is homozygous and if he is so, Dragon has to have this narcolepsy too.

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8193/familyofd2np5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

the chance of having narcolepsy is about 50%. and both, Ace and Ruffy, have it.

ah, I hope those pictures will work :p

mugen
February 17, 2007, 05:39 PM
yeah Ace has too many similarities with Garp and Dragon to not be related to them.
I mean you can't get narcolepsy just cuz someone you know has it...
so it has to be DNA trait meaning he is related to them :)

KuraiOfAnagura
February 17, 2007, 07:26 PM
i say so.
but this sheme is just fun, nothing serious.
i just thought, one proof of their brotherhood has to be this family desease, it is a blood preasure problem in my opinion.
i think the key is this narcolepsy

Anti-panda
February 17, 2007, 07:32 PM
I think I want them to be brothers because if dragon turns out as cool as we all think he is. That would make Luffy / Ace's family potentially the most Bada$$ one on the planet. Any planet!!!
Garp = Coolest Grandpa/marine we've met yet.
Dragon = Worlds most hated enemy of the world govt. and well he's just awsome.
Portgas D. Ace = Coolest logia user we've met yet. And strong as hell.
Monkey D. Luffy = The man who will be pirate king.
---???-----
Dragons wife/luffy/aces mom = ?????
Garps wife = ????
Luffy's sister= who the hell knows????? maybe??? probably not.

evozoku
February 18, 2007, 12:30 PM
okay, off topic: Saying "Ruffy" instead of "Luffy" annoys the hell out of me. Where do people get Ruffy from? Is that what they call him in the english dubs, or is it certain sub groups? And I believe Oda has specifically said that it's "Luffy", not "Ruffy".

mugen
February 18, 2007, 12:39 PM
okay, off topic: Saying "Ruffy" instead of "Luffy" annoys the hell out of me. Where do people get Ruffy from? Is that what they call him in the english dubs, or is it certain sub groups? And I believe Oda has specifically said that it's "Luffy", not "Ruffy".

you should like watch the Japanese version sometimes......
anyways I think that's how some people pronounce his name in others areas of the world
And why are you so mad over something small? :(

KuraiOfAnagura
February 18, 2007, 12:47 PM
ah, sorry, Ruffy's from germany.
i'm trying to use luffy, but i'm just used to the "r". :tem
by the way in japan is no difference between "l" and "r"

OP_overlord
February 18, 2007, 07:04 PM
i hope that are all from the same family cause that would like anti-panda said the most B.A. in the OP world
i want ace to have more cool family like his mom and sis are working together as a shichbukai and i think garps wife is an elder or something i could see that (but then agian a part of me wants luffy mom to be a normal person that is so worried about her "baby")

evozoku
February 18, 2007, 11:44 PM
I'm not really mad, it just bothers me. And all I've ever watched is the japanese version subbed by fan groups. And see, it just happens that it's a by country thing (Germany calls him Ruffy), so no biggy, just wondering where people get that from. Anyway, sorry to go so far off topic.

Anti-panda
February 19, 2007, 01:22 AM
I'm not really mad, it just bothers me. And all I've ever watched is the japanese version subbed by fan groups. And see, it just happens that it's a by country thing (Germany calls him Ruffy), so no biggy, just wondering where people get that from. Anyway, sorry to go so far off topic.

As long as people love One piece and all that small grammaticall error's can easily slide by me ...It's the annoying people who only have 12 post and all they contribute is something like "Thiz Chappy Sux BIG time... Enel pwns' u r soul!!" x 12 ... those people them we could loose and it wouldn't hurt. Grammar / spelling issues = No big Deal.
now Back on topic.
Since Luffy isn't prone to talking about others in such a way. I doubt he used the word brother in a ambigious way. He probably really is blood relative to ace.

triniman121
March 01, 2007, 11:01 PM
well isn't all people with D in their name are all related.

i think i read somewhere oda was going to draw luffy family on some volume?

i could be wrong though

OP_overlord
March 01, 2007, 11:30 PM
that would be cool and they are all related but not closely that would mean that his cousin was a giant they are related in the sense that they are from the void century and the will of D.

Eyefarted2
March 02, 2007, 09:08 PM
yes. theres just too much in common for them to not be brothers

Schwindelmagier
March 03, 2007, 07:19 AM
Yeah, they're really similar in alot of things. I just remember Ace's strange appearance in the Restaurant in Alabasta Arc xD. But there are also some differences. Ace really behaves more like an adult than Luffy but both are serious when it comes to a fight and treat it with respect.
And just becasue ones are sublings it doesn't mean they have to be similar to each other in all kind of cases.
I guess he's his brother. Why should Luffy lied back there in Alabasta when he told his friends of Ace after Ace had saved them of Smoker.

Anti-panda
March 04, 2007, 07:51 PM
Yeah, they're really similar in alot of things. I just remember Ace's strange appearance in the Restaurant in Alabasta Arc xD. But there are also some differences. Ace really behaves more like an adult than Luffy but both are serious when it comes to a fight and treat it with respect.
And just becasue ones are sublings it doesn't mean they have to be similar to each other in all kind of cases.
I guess he's his brother. Why should Luffy lied back there in Alabasta when he told his friends of Ace after Ace had saved them of Smoker.

Yeah thier similar ... yeah thier different... That's what you call being siblings. You share Dna but your still not the same person.

Schwindelmagier
March 05, 2007, 10:51 AM
That's what I said in a long text and you put it in some simple words, anti-panda-kun ^___^. So, it's easier to understand what I meant, thanks. xD

mugen
March 06, 2007, 10:58 PM
Yeah thier similar ... yeah thier different... That's what you call being siblings. You share Dna but your still not the same person.

yeah but there might be a reason for the different names unless Eiichiro is just playing...
anyways I still believe they are brothers but at the same time there is a reason for the different surname

dfcarolinaguy
March 22, 2007, 08:36 PM
I bet ace and luffy are like cousins

OP_overlord
March 22, 2007, 09:44 PM
im going with mugen they are bothers but the different surnames will come into play later

Anti-panda
March 23, 2007, 11:16 PM
Given the responses of the crew when they found out ace and luffy we're brothers. (Genuine disbelief that they were even related.) I don't think that he was using a generic Oni-san..
Plus look at garp. Narcolepsy .. it's a regular problem for both ace and garp. Luffy doesn't count cause he was wiped out during his little fight with garp. He's not a narcoleptic.

ANBU4U
March 31, 2007, 05:00 PM
The simplist explanation is that they're half-brothers....I see no reason to look much further into the difference in names than that.

They have alot in common, the narcalepsy for one, and physical features which are the most telling. Despite being built a bit more muscular (age can explain that) they have very similar lines, especially around the face.

Theri could be a resason he changed his name though, the most likely being that he didnt want to be associated with his famous relatives....thats what I'd do if I wanted to make my own name and I had famous family. Luffy didnt do the same because he was clueless about his entire family, he wasnt even sure what his grandpa did in the navy.

Zoro-kun
December 18, 2007, 01:11 PM
did u guys know that "portgas" backwards is "monkey" ?? so acctually he's named monkey d. ace

Absolutio
December 18, 2007, 03:09 PM
From where did you get that? O_o

Dragon04
December 18, 2007, 08:15 PM
I think they are brothers but only half brothers.

Freakzin
December 20, 2007, 09:15 PM
dude don't leave us hangin here, is Portgas backwards really Monkey??? HOWW??? I can't Sleep at night!!!!!

PaperYomiko
December 20, 2007, 10:29 PM
hmm....personally, I've never really doubted that Luffy and Ace are brothers. They say they're brothers, and that's all I really need for proof.

There could be many reasons for them having different family names~ and many interesting ideas have already been posted here on that ^^ The most likely to me is that Dragon is not Ace's real father, but since Garp says he trained both of the boys, I think it's equally possible that Ace just decided to change it. ANBU4U brings up a good point about him wanting to change it due to his famous, and depending on your perspective, infamous, relatives.

But even if they're half-brothers or not even related by blood at all (which I doubt, because to me they look very similar), as long as they consider each other to be brothers, then they are, imho. So in the end, having different family names or the degree to which they are related by blood doesn't really mean a whole lot to me, I suppose ^^

on a side note, to the best of my knowledge Portgas does not spell Monkey backwards, so I think this theory can be put to rest :amuse

Impel Down
December 21, 2007, 08:13 AM
They act the same, have the same D qualities, act brotherly, and consider each other brothers without thinking or showing otherwise. Ace also looks like Luffy, so I don't see the problem there. And I heard somewhere that "Portgas" was a nick-name of Ace's so I dunno if you can count that as a separate surname.

_D.
July 22, 2009, 09:43 AM
Turns out, they aren't blood-related

kkck
July 22, 2009, 01:39 PM
Those this really proves they actually are not blood related though? It does prove beyond doubt they are not brothers but it does not prove there is no connection whatsoever between luffy and roger. It also does not explain why luffy actually somewhat resembles roger and ace(specially ace)

Black Lagoon
July 23, 2009, 07:30 PM
they didn't look as brothers (I mean by the appearances)

kkck
July 24, 2009, 03:39 AM
they didn't look as brothers (I mean by the appearances)

You do not think they actually look very similar in terms of appearance? I always though ace and luffy did look like they were brothers in terms of appearance, hell both of them even kinda look like roger... Even though ace and luffy most definitely not brothers, they could still be related in some other way(cousins maybe lol)

Black Lagoon
July 24, 2009, 04:03 AM
You do not think they actually look very similar in terms of appearance? I always though ace and luffy did look like they were brothers in terms of appearance, hell both of them even kinda look like roger... Even though ace and luffy most definitely not brothers, they could still be related in some other way(cousins maybe lol)

:tem, well, if you know the true, you begin to find/search the points of difference
I even find Ace more like Dragon than Roger
the same for luffy (more like Roger than Dragon)
cuz of the face and more important : the smile

I know it sound crazy but anyway

And definitely they are related. :amuse

LokiTheLion4
December 11, 2011, 09:45 AM
i think it might be possible that ace is adopted since he doesnt have the monkey in his name.

Uriel
December 11, 2011, 10:59 AM
Time to close this thread, huh?