PDA

View Full Version : Info DGM Artbook: Noche

riki
December 07, 2009, 05:08 PM
I meant to do this earlier, but I forgot. :sweat

In Chapter 189, there was a special announcement (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1694569&postcount=414) stating that DGM will have an artbook titled Noche, which will be released on Feb. 4th next year. It will contain over 80 pieces of illustrations and sketches from 2004 until now + Poster.

Post any new information pertaining to the artbook here. :amuse

Discuss away~

Rikulaw
December 23, 2009, 11:32 PM
From volume 19:
http://rikukashiko.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/img_0008.jpg?w=1024&h=441 (http://rikukashiko.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/img_0008.jpg)

It says that Noche will be released on 4th February 2010 with A4 Case and more than 80 color illustration. It cost 1890 Yen.
The cover is the one in the right

TitaniumChloride
January 04, 2010, 10:14 AM
I'm not sure if I'm reading this right, but according to a fan blog (http://clown1225.blog88.fc2.com/blog-entry-201.html), there'll be:

a bigger version of the cover but in black and white. The fan is probably talking about the ad (see next post), which was printed with Noche's cover illustration.
a poster that'll come with the artbook that won't be the same as the front page's illustration.
(help! - something about 'if it can be made into a particularly valuable edition(?) (http://d.hatena.ne.jp/keyword/%B1%CA%B5%D7%CA%DD%C2%B8%C8%C7) it'll be three folds fast??')
a pleasant surprise under the sleeve case (a.k.a the removable cover)
a peek at Hoshino's daily life. (I like these~)
"D.Gray-man as the focus" (for some reason the fan is wondering whether colour pages from Zone will be included)
commentary accompanying the illustrations. (Hell yes!)
1 more month to go!

Siberia
January 05, 2010, 12:24 AM
thanks for the translation and I think the text is from this page.Looking forward to the conversation part with Obata (mangaka of Death Note/Bakuman) and Akimoto (mangaka of Kochikame).

btw, I would get it in mid Feb and if no one will get it earlier than me, I can scan some pages.

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab143/siberia09/DSC00037.jpg

TitaniumChloride
January 05, 2010, 10:48 AM
I found the text in the ad above at another blog (http://iwanttoknow.blog27.fc2.com/blog-entry-661.html). It's mostly different from my previous post.

The first illustration collection specially comes in a case!

More than 80 pieces of "D.Gray-man" centric colour illustrations compiled! Furthermore, there'll be some splendid dialogue with fellow Weekly Jump authors, illustration explanations, etc.; those who are following the project will be fully satisfied!! There's also a pleasant surprise at the bottom of the sleeve case!!

★ (Badly translated line!) "Noche", a decorated group of grand plans will be meticulously released!

● A completely new poster!!

An illustration that's different from the cover picture makes it's debut! A collector's edition three-fold poster!!

● 2 premium talks collected only in this book!

[Hoshino Katsura x Akimoto Asamu] [Hoshino Katsura x Obata Takeshi]
New talks with Akimoto Asamu and Obata Takeshi, both whom Hoshino hold in high regard! Also, the "Autograph in Commemoration of the dialogue" done by Hoshino and the two authors is also included!!

●A peek into Hoshino's daily life!

Katsura Photo
Pictures from Hoshino's digital camera and mobile phone are specially made public!
Following Hoshino's point of view, it's a premium gallery!!

That's a lot of exclamation marks. XD It's pretty much a given that I'll get this with my dying will!!!

Edit: Changed the link to the correct one.

riki
January 23, 2010, 10:11 PM
A link (http://books.shueisha.co.jp/CGI/search/syousai_put.cgi?isbn_cd=978-4-08-782264-9&mode=1) is up! Unfortunately, nothing is posted yet.

TitaniumChloride
January 28, 2010, 10:39 AM
Even though the main BOOK Navi site link isn't open yet, most other retail sites have already made Noche available for pre-order! \o/

Amazon.co.jp (http://www.amazon.co.jp/D-Gray-man%E3%82%A4%E3%83%A9%E3%82%B9%E3%83%88%E9%9B%86-Noche-%E6%98%9F%E9%87%8E-%E6%A1%82/dp/4087822648/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264693015&sr=1-1)
HMV (http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/3742372)
cdJapan (http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=NEOBK-694964) (pre-order is currently sold out - like many other sites)
plus other (Jap only) sites.

Credit goes to this Japanese fan post (http://yukagin.at.webry.info/201001/article_21.html).

Akiyama
January 28, 2010, 08:44 PM
D.Gray-man Art Book - Noche :
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/4858/022uj.jpg
Heiji posted of what the cover with text will look like.

Orpheus 2
January 30, 2010, 08:51 PM
I'm definitely feeling Kingdom Hearts vibes from the cover. Anyway, I can't wait to see it.

Rikulaw
February 03, 2010, 07:04 AM
A better scan for the cover
http://rikukashiko.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/978-4-08-782264-9.jpg
and there's also several information from the web and Jump SQ.

It seems that there's will be a talk between Hoshino-sensei with Akimoto Osamu-sensei and Obata Takeshi-sensei.
And the front image for the poster are in Jump SQ (chapter 191 scan) but it's so small. And the back will be the image from the cover.

harmaa
February 03, 2010, 08:39 PM
I hope we get scans from this, somehow... At least of the new art!
I also hope it shows up for sale on a site that can import to the US, like eBay, so I can buy a copy. > >

vampiremiyu
February 03, 2010, 09:26 PM
^ I saw it on preorder today on Ebay for 75+shipping to the US. Eeee, can't wait for scans. <3

harmaa
February 03, 2010, 09:39 PM
^ I saw it on preorder today on Ebay for 75+shipping to the US. Eeee, can't wait for scans. <3

That's absurd! o__o Isn't it only around $20 in Japan?

aorin
February 03, 2010, 11:02 PM
A summerization of this page (http://mangastream.com/read/d_gray_man/191-44/39):

Cover
- A startling detailed group sketch of the Black Order members.
- Over 30 members of the Black Order is crowded into this illustration! Search for your favourite character.
- A slip* is also included and it is detachable.
* I'm not exactly sure, but I believe the slip wraps over the cover.

A3 Poster
- Front: The three most popular Exorcists with a gothic taste.
- Back: A poster of the cover.

Talks and Colour Drawings
- 4 pieces of valuable colour drawings are drawn to commemorate this first exchange.
- Rare colour drawings by Hoshino Katsura, Obata Takeshi, Akimoto Asamu.

Rough
- Rough sketches of Komui and co. in their novice days.
- Komui and Bak's younger days are... ?!

Others
- Over 80 beautiful illustrations.
- 2 Exclusive Talks! [Hoshino Katsura x Akimoto Asamu] [Hoshino Katsura x Obata Takeshi]
- Description of the illustrations by the artist.

Also, this page (http://books.shueisha.co.jp/CGI/search/syousai_put.cgi?isbn_cd=978-4-08-782264-9&mode=1) has been updated.

riki
February 03, 2010, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the link, Heiji! The artworks are gorgeous! :luv

harmaa
February 04, 2010, 12:19 AM
Absolutely amazing! There are some real treats hidden in here, like our first glimpse of certain characters at a younger age! I nearly screamed when I realized who one of them was >.>

Also, Coro is the cutest cat ever.

aorin
February 04, 2010, 12:53 AM
OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!

Page 95! I would buy the book just for that page itself! Oh my god! They all look fantastic in their younger days! And the little Crows, wow, I totally didn't expect Hoshino to include them (the one with the same haircut as chibi Kanda... is he who I think he is?! Can't explain the eyes though, I thought that was exclusive only to the Thirds).

My only disappointment with the raw is that Fou was cut from the pink coloured slip during the scans since she stuck right in the middle. Oh well, all the more reason for me to go purchase a copy of my own...

I can look at this illustration book all day :p Right now, I'm going to sit back and read through Hoshino's comment on the illustrations.

ca12nag3
February 04, 2010, 01:04 AM
that same page who is the guy with Timcanpy....(p95), he smokes so i asume thats Cross? and his face is well, jagged teeth or scarring? hmm 14th?

aorin
February 04, 2010, 01:32 AM
^ I'm assuming that's Cross. I mean, with Timcanpy, the cigarette, ruffles and that evil smile, I don't really think it could be anyone else. In Hoshino's comment, she said that she had always wanted to draw young Komui and Jeryy, and that she believed that 'there must be Science Division's fans out there' and thus the rest of them were featured as well. *raises hand* YES, there's one Science division fan right here, so please keep them alive until the end of the manga!

Also, apparently, the Vol. 16 cover (with the Science division) is Hoshino's favourite cover. She also said that personally, she likes the Science division and the atmosphere in that picture 8D

Unrelated, but in terms of colouring, she likes Vol. 8 best (the one with Bak and Fou). And while it sports a monochrome colour in the manga, this was the first time she had a chance to colour Fou's 'sealed wall'.

vampiremiyu
February 04, 2010, 01:33 AM
Am I the only one that can't see the link? .-.

(Edit: I found it.)

harmaa
February 04, 2010, 01:40 AM
OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!

Page 95! I would buy the book just for that page itself! Oh my god! They all look fantastic in their younger days! And the little Crows, wow, I totally didn't expect Hoshino to include them (the one with the same haircut as chibi Kanda... is he who I think he is?! Can't explain the eyes though, I thought that was exclusive only to the Thirds).

95 is amazing. And I'm pretty sure that is indeed Link! I too had thought the marks were something the Thirds have, but perhaps they're made from makeup? I'd say that Link could have covered his to remain inconspicuous, but then he surely would have covered his forehead tattoos as well...

aorin
February 04, 2010, 01:54 AM
95 is amazing. And I'm pretty sure that is indeed Link! I too had thought the marks were something the Thirds have, but perhaps they're made from makeup? I'd say that Link could have covered his to remain inconspicuous, but then he surely would have covered his forehead tattoos as well...
Or it could be Link was transfered to another unit within the Crows, from the battle unit to an administrative unit, and he didn't need to retain the eye make-up anymore. Just like how he doesn't need to wear the same outfit as the rest of the Crows... Speculations though.

I'm still happy that Link made it to that page, now I'm beginning to imagine little Link cooking in the kitchen with an apron or something XD And Tokusa's goofy face there, pfft, so cute!

ca12nag3
February 04, 2010, 02:14 AM
Well i think thats Link as well, looks ok, so this means they are recruited at realy young age? I already had the feeling Tevaks brother doesnt like Link all that much and seeing page95 im sure he dont like him :P
Also Link was with Cross & Allen in that room whilst wearing the Crow uniform, so basicaly he didnt leave Crow hes just on a special mission. But what Link didnt know is that they transformed his former teammates into half-akuma.
Also it seems there is more story to tell with Link, if you look at that picture you see Madarao looking over his shoulder ( and not with a friendly look), Link, Tevak looking at Link, and the always observant Tokusa in the back pondering with a smile. Its a realy nice piece of art and thats just 1 corner of the entire page! Also that little Lenalee with the wings thats nice ( i think its Lena lol)

Oh and the coloring on page 86 is just wow. :D

aorin
February 04, 2010, 02:35 AM
@ca12nag3: Hmm... I remember Kanda saying that members of the Crows are trained from a young age. And Madarao's glare over the shoulder thing, well, he seems to do that quite often, he did it once to Tokusa in last few chapters, so perhaps, it's not about liking or disliking Link, rather that is just how he is XD

Or we could go with the logic that Madarao doesn't like other guys around his baby sister, Tevaku. Where's Kiredori and Goushi anyway? :3

I wasn't implying that Link left the Crows. I was just guesing that the lack of eye make-up and different outfit was due to him being in a different unit or on a differrent duty than his teammates. It seems that he'll revert back to the Crows outfit when the situation calls for it (during the Cross and Allen convo). Just wondering why he didn't put on the eye make-up like the rest of his member.

ca12nag3
February 04, 2010, 02:47 AM
Perhaps the makeup is only for active fighting duty, and as he now is more of an information gatherer... And i do think Madarao doesnt like anyone around his sister lol. Also he seems not the typ of guy thats a good laugh haha.

It could also be that Link personaly didnt agree with experimental crap so he got reasigned to HQ for duty with Lev, whilst the other Crow went on with what-ever they were doing.

Also i asume Tevak kinda sticks with her brother to suport him and that she lacks the conviction the others have. What else im thinking is how would Madarao feel about absorbing his own baby sister :S Thats just messed up lol. (If Link ever left for such a reason as not agreeing with the status quo hes right ) haha

MdNGhT
February 04, 2010, 05:58 AM
Gaaaah! I can't see the link! D:

How do you see it?!

ca12nag3
February 04, 2010, 06:03 AM
go to raw-paradise there is the raw

MdNGhT
February 04, 2010, 06:08 AM
O: thank you. You saved me from dying >_<

relory
February 04, 2010, 10:02 AM
Could the girl with wings on page 95 by any chance be Hevlaska!? O_O She's so cute, and I first thought she was Linalee haha(or maybe she is?) :P

This definitly made my day(or rather, month together with chapter 191)! :D Hoshino is an amazing artist, and I simply love every page in this artbook, I'm soo going to buy this myself!
Can't wait for a translation of Hoshino's daily life, and her interview with Obata! ^_^

Himehi
February 04, 2010, 01:15 PM
Umh, in page 95, the guy behind Reever, is that Cross???

harmaa
February 04, 2010, 02:10 PM
Umh, in page 95, the guy behind Reever, is that Cross???

Yep! :D

I wonder if this means any of these characters will show up in the current backstory... That would be AMAZING. I really want to see young!Bak and young!Komui interact...

sorgiva
February 04, 2010, 06:46 PM
Thank you for the link!

Am I the only one diyng from page 103 with the twins? OçO
Who can translate for me that little piece of page? ç_ç is it Hoshino sensei's doing? or some other mangaka's made that drawing?
*sorry I'm so addicted to the twins and they are never really show so...T__T*

3c
February 04, 2010, 07:48 PM
What's up on page 101!? Light from Death Note is there. I can't wait for this to be translated!

riki
February 04, 2010, 07:56 PM
What's up on page 101!? Light from Death Note is there. I can't wait for this to be translated!

I think that page is the talk between Hoshino and Obata, which aorin mentioned in a previous post. ^^

3c
February 04, 2010, 07:59 PM
I think that page is the talk between Hoshino and Obata, which aorin mentioned in a previous post. ^^

Yeah of course, but I'm curious about the conversation. It's bound to be interesting :)

ca12nag3
February 05, 2010, 02:29 AM
What im most! curious about is the coments with every image she drew, like what she wanted to show us and what inspiration she had before making them ^^ page 104-107

andrewsungchehau
February 05, 2010, 03:27 AM
It's amazing.xD Allen's so cute and awesome in different kinds of style.

What im most! curious about is the coments with every image she drew, like what she wanted to show us and what inspiration she had before making them ^^ page 104-107

Same here.:amuse also the noche room talk->interviews etc.

ca12nag3
February 05, 2010, 04:48 AM
Anyone else notice this, i know that everyone knows. The noah eyes are yellow right. Well cat eyes are yellow... and Hoshino loves cates (her own cat that is) Any link between those? :D
I know since i got a cat as well, tbh my cat way more pretty then Hoshinos ^^ heheh

Rikulaw
February 05, 2010, 10:52 AM
&*^&*^$&*#^#@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Coro...... wearing a yukata!?!?!? *nosebleed* (<<Cat lover)
And page 55........ Road and Allen....... Road with devil wing and Allen with angel wing.........
then... page 95......... no need to say anything....... =_=

Thanks for the link ^^
I would never regret that I ordered it even before I know there's a scan for this.....
*faint*

relory
February 05, 2010, 12:36 PM
And page 55........ Road and Allen....... Road with devil wing and Allen with angel wing.........
Aaaah I love that pic! <3 It's kind of strange that the EARL also has angel wings.. O_o
The "memory of germany"(page 94) was epic. Adorable Road, human!Rero and Earl as a couple (lmao new otp? xD) and Cosplayer/Yeegar(!?) cosplaying Timcampi? xD Epic win :D
arrrg I can't stop looking at the images! X_x *has to do her homework*

fuff
February 06, 2010, 05:31 AM
omg it has lag from letter bee! kawaii! what does is say? i cant read jap anyone wanna translate? did hoshino draw the lag drawing? or was it the creator of letter bee drawing lag and allen?

relory
February 06, 2010, 07:18 AM
omg it has lag from letter bee! kawaii! what does is say? i cant read jap anyone wanna translate? did hoshino draw the lag drawing? or was it the creator of letter bee drawing lag and allen?

I think it's Hoshino's drawing (omfg she's drawn Lag - so cuuuutee<3), because it looks like her style and she also drew for e.g One Piece and Naruto on the same page :P

I can't read japanese either but I bet the letters say something like "bills", since Allen doesn't want them LMAO :D

riki
February 06, 2010, 08:10 AM
I can't read japanese either but I bet the letters say something like "bills", since Allen doesn't want them LMAO :D

:lmao

That is hilarious! Poor Allen would try to avoid Lag as much as possible then.

andrewsungchehau
February 07, 2010, 01:06 AM
omg, letter bee sent letter of "BILLS" to an exorcist.xD That's hilarious.:D

Rikulaw
February 07, 2010, 10:01 AM

Judging from the style, It seems Hoshino-sensei draw them all (well... it's not just Allen and Lag... There's Niche, Tim, and... Steak)

And Indeed it's bill *burst out laughs*
It's written 請求書=bills in the package....
More than that, Hoshino-sensei write that "Letters are hearts" just like in Tegamibachi...... *rolling on the floor*
Are those letters (bills) got heart in it? :D

It will be turned into a cold letter soon......

addenza
February 07, 2010, 10:01 AM
Can someone upload a mirror to the file please? Raw-paradise seems to hate me cause I can't download from the link there. ><

Rikulaw
February 07, 2010, 10:07 AM
there's a RS link
Here you go
http://rapidshare.com/files/345655456/DGray.zip

MdNGhT
February 08, 2010, 02:32 AM
(´∀`) the book is full of dgm goodies...XD

addenza
February 08, 2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the link but I guess the only mirror that works for me is Mediafire... ;_; Thanks for the thought anyway...

harmaa
February 08, 2010, 03:02 PM
Is it just me, or does Allen's extended scar in the poster (the one with the three main guys) remind anyone of Sasha, from Seikon no Qwaser? Granted, Sasha is pretty much an Allen-ripoff, but this makes them look even more similar.

http://www.jamaipanese.com/wp-content/uploads/seikon-no-qwaser-anime.jpg

vampiremiyu
February 08, 2010, 04:51 PM
^ That was my first thought when I saw the SNQ trailer. There's even a Lavi clone in it!

On page 3 center right: Is that supposed to be 14th!Allen? Lack of curly hair says no to me but that shading makes him look pretty scary.

earthforge
February 08, 2010, 08:05 PM
Nope. Just Allen with demonic symbolism.

Ironic. In the beginning, he had all of this Jesus/Angelic symbolism around him. But now that the 14th has partly awakened, we see demonic symbols: horn and tail on chapter 187 cover, wings in Noche.

I love it!

harmaa: I like that manga, though the ecchi parts drive me up a tree. There's a Lavi clone though?

Siberia
February 10, 2010, 11:30 AM
The artbook is definitely decent, though its sorta thin comparing with the compilation Book.
http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab143/siberia09/th_IMG_8948.jpg (http://s858.photobucket.com/albums/ab143/siberia09/?action=view&current=IMG_8948.jpg)http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab143/siberia09/th_IMG_8929.jpg (http://s858.photobucket.com/albums/ab143/siberia09/?action=view&current=IMG_8929.jpg)http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab143/siberia09/th_IMG_8945.jpg (http://s858.photobucket.com/albums/ab143/siberia09/?action=view&current=IMG_8945.jpg)http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab143/siberia09/th_IMG_8946.jpg (http://s858.photobucket.com/albums/ab143/siberia09/?action=view&current=IMG_8946.jpg)

imageshack mirror

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7066/img8948q.th.jpg (http://img6.imageshack.us/i/img8948q.jpg/)http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/5811/img8946e.th.jpg (http://img714.imageshack.us/i/img8946e.jpg/)http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/6049/img8945.th.jpg (http://img535.imageshack.us/i/img8945.jpg/)http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/420/img8929.th.jpg (http://img534.imageshack.us/i/img8929.jpg/)

Zibi234
February 11, 2010, 04:20 AM
personaly I hoped for the new art book to contain some new things... allen/14th related... or more noahs like lulubell and curernt new ones...

yet 80 maybe 85% are already known colour pages... or rather colour covers of the manga...

rest is new but not that awsome... most of the awsome ones was already posted above...

harmaa
February 11, 2010, 11:07 PM
I too was surprised by the lack of sketches, especially of the Noah. There must have been design sketches for them, after all. I'm not complaining, but I like sketches almost more than finished art, so. :)

addenza
February 12, 2010, 06:10 AM
Ooh. In that picture of Allen, Lavi and Kanda, Allen has a crown and a Noah cross above his head! Lavi and Kanda are standing beside him like his second-in-commands. :D I love their expressions. I wonder what Allen is stepping on... Level fours? Innocence?

O_O There's a panty shot of Lenalee on the red coloured page?! Lenalee looks prettier. I like the numerous Allens all around the page, especially the largest one with the big scar. Heehee.

The black and white picture was nice too! ^^ It all seems kind of surreal...

Thanks for uploading these pictures! <3

earthforge
February 12, 2010, 12:01 PM
Lol addenza, which scar? The akuma curse or the Crown Clown scar? Either way, it is hot.

And it's the Innocence cross, which usually is blocky and ornate. The Noah crosses tend to be more curved. Either stepping on Level 4's or Innocence.

Personal fav page is the sketches page. With a young Komui, Bak, Lenny, Cross, Jerryy, and all of the little Thirds (I thought the little Link was Kanda from the fringe - when I realized who it was, I positively died of obsessive fangirl disorder).

Jaymie
February 12, 2010, 08:43 PM
@____@

Look at Timcanpy on the back cover of Noche. He's gigantic! He looks like he's almost as large as Allen's head.

addenza
February 14, 2010, 12:04 PM
Lol addenza, which scar? The akuma curse or the Crown Clown scar? Either way, it is hot.

And it's the Innocence cross, which usually is blocky and ornate. The Noah crosses tend to be more curved. Either stepping on Level 4's or Innocence.

Personal fav page is the sketches page. With a young Komui, Bak, Lenny, Cross, Jerryy, and all of the little Thirds (I thought the little Link was Kanda from the fringe - when I realized who it was, I positively died of obsessive fangirl disorder).

Haha, the Crown Clown scar. And yeah, it's hot! :D

And the two crosses are too confusing for me. :P I couldn't differentiate between the two. ><

somehow_here
March 09, 2010, 10:01 PM
My GOD! I just love this book! I am drooling with all hotness! Her drawing style really change over the years...and I am loving it!!!

Kahraizee
March 21, 2010, 07:04 PM
Question, Who's the girl on the far left? I don't think she's appeared yet, but my memory might be failing...

http://kisuki.net/artbooks/d-gray-man-illustrations-noche/item70

earthforge
March 21, 2010, 07:06 PM
LOL, believe it or not, that's Miranda. Her hair has turned from dark brown to lightish brown.

addenza
March 23, 2010, 05:05 AM
Speaking of which, anyone here thinks that Lenalee's skirt is getting shorter? XD It's probably only covering her butt now... I wonder why Komui didn't object to that particular uniform design.

earthforge
March 23, 2010, 09:25 AM
It's probably his concession to the Science Division. Plus, any pants would be blown away by the activated Innocence (though personally, fighting in high-heels always seemed improbable since wearing those things hurt).

ca12nag3
March 23, 2010, 04:19 PM
Personaly i think turning your arm into a sword doesnt work well either.... :D

The short skirts she wears is pure fanservice. I agree it doesnt add up with what Reever said about looking at her. And Komui is extreme protective but this story defies logic anyways haha.
It realy doesnt matter all that much.

ying_su
March 23, 2010, 05:56 PM
Totally agree~

But, poor fan-boys, there are not too many girls in this series to whom short the skirt, kukuku~
Meanwhile we, fan-girls, can drool to die just watching those handsome boys and... *self-censured end sentence*
:P

addenza
March 24, 2010, 09:58 AM
Totally agree~

But, poor fan-boys, there are not too many girls in this series to whom short the skirt, kukuku~
Meanwhile we, fan-girls, can drool to die just watching those handsome boys and... *self-censured end sentence*
:P

XDD Yes! The only one who wears a short skirt is Lenalee! Miranda, Emilia, Klaud Nyne all wear long pants/skirts!
So Lenalee's super short skirt is extra fanservice to make up for that... :eyeroll I wonder if that consoles any of the fanboys... XD

ca12nag3
March 24, 2010, 10:44 AM
Well the dress Road wears is nice just dont think about her real age haha
Mirandas uniform during the China/japan arc was nice too.
Overall i think its good that it doesnt end up like a pinup show, good cloths are nice to look at as well. Tho the new Noah designs arnt all that great personal opinion!

ying_su
March 24, 2010, 01:11 PM
Well the dress Road wears is nice just dont think about her real age haha

She's actually older than each of us!

Jaymie
March 24, 2010, 03:32 PM
I'm sick of fanservice in DGM... Gah, and it's becoming much more frequent. Every scene with Lenalee in it features a panty or crotch shot, I swear. Like the last picture she was in, the color page to Chapter 188 (Wow, so long ago!!!), featured a panty shot... IN COLOR! X___X

There's also Allen and Kanda fanservice, but we haven't seen Allen or Kanda's abs in quite a long time, so I don't care. Haha.

Justine
April 10, 2010, 03:05 PM
I'm sure some of you were aware, but cdjapan.co.jp was selling the Noche artbook, and they of course ship internationally. However, when I went back and checked, it said that the artbook is Out of Print---and when I checked the Help Tab it said that there will be no future releases of the product when it's labelled as such.
Was I the only one who didn't know that Noche would have a limited release??? = (

DGrayWonderland
April 12, 2010, 09:19 PM
OMG!!! So i´m lucky!!! I went to Japan 2 weeks ago and (seriously) I went to every single manga shop of Akihabara and in every shop they only said SOLD OUT u.u but thanks to Kira-sama a little shop had the last one :hearts Im soooo happy DX

-sorry for my crappy english T.T-

Niko_kun
August 28, 2010, 10:02 PM
could anyone post the translation of the talks room ?

Tick
August 29, 2010, 10:45 AM
Did anyone translated the interview between Hoshino and Obata-sensei?

Aracely
August 29, 2010, 08:14 PM
I'm sure some of you were aware, but cdjapan.co.jp was selling the Noche artbook, and they of course ship internationally. However, when I went back and checked, it said that the artbook is Out of Print---and when I checked the Help Tab it said that there will be no future releases of the product when it's labelled as such.
Was I the only one who didn't know that Noche would have a limited release??? = (

It's still available at YesAsia and Amazon Japan. But if it is going to sell out everywhere, maybe with luck it'll get a re-print...

I'm sick of fanservice in DGM... Gah, and it's becoming much more frequent. Every scene with Lenalee in it features a panty or crotch shot, I swear. Like the last picture she was in, the color page to Chapter 188 (Wow, so long ago!!!), featured a panty shot... IN COLOR! X___X

Supposedly she's wearing shorts...supposedly. So it's not a panty shot. But Hoshino just seems to be using the shorts as a justification for that sort of shot. :mad It was better when she refused to answer what Lena wore under her skirt. Although Hoshino's going in for Kanda and Allen fanservice in a big way too. I liked it better when Hoshino had more subtlety. Maybe her editors are to blame for this.

mikyu
August 30, 2010, 07:46 AM
Interesting, I was able to order it at nippon-export.com ... and now it's not available there anymore ... did I get the last one :p

MSofAofCOCA
September 12, 2010, 02:56 PM
you can view NOCHE here: http://kisuki.net/artbooks/d-gray-man-illustrations-noche

candy
September 13, 2010, 07:39 PM
so if the child is allen, who is the other person?http://kisuki.net/artbooks/d-gray-man-illustrations-noche/item24

earthforge
September 13, 2010, 09:13 PM
Allen himself, actually. Very philosophical, love that little pic much,

candy
September 18, 2010, 09:12 PM
so what could this picture mean then? man every picture in DGM has some sort of meaning to it and some type of clue to the manga. really makes you want to know what the pictures mean.

yukilove21
September 24, 2010, 03:16 AM
so what could this picture mean then? man every picture in DGM has some sort of meaning to it and some type of clue to the manga. really makes you want to know what the pictures mean.
I think it could be Allen looking at his younger-self though another perspective. That or he is saying that he understands his younger-self. (Of course he would!)
Now, I am 99.4% that that's not what it is, but I am still 1.5% sure it is... But don't trust my reasoning right now..
It could possible show up in future chapters, who knows? Once the "Kanda" arc is over that is...
Now, for this.
Afte looking at the picture once again, I now think of it as this:
Young Allen was alone at the time, no one to be with him, no Mana, no one. The older Allen (:allen) could be their as a support, as a "You are not alone" (No Michael Jackson Reference.) figure in that picture.
I know for sure I didn't explain that how I wanted to! :darn
Hopefully I'll get the words I wanted to say back...

earthforge
September 24, 2010, 11:06 AM
Uh candy, not really. If we assume that, then every single color choice must also have a reason, etc, etc. She drew that pic probably just for fun and to show the symbolism of Allen looking upon his true self. A lot of her pics are for fun. The difficulty is trying to discern the meaningless easter eggs from the real thing.

ketorin
October 27, 2010, 12:01 PM
Just got my copy of Noche in the mail. And it's amazing!!! It's cool to see it online and such but it's cooler to see it in the book form!

ZERO PHOENIX
November 15, 2010, 03:14 PM
Does anyone have a working link to DL? Ah, never mind. Got it. http://sekijitsu.com/2010/03/01/d-gray-man-noche/

Niko_kun
December 12, 2010, 09:57 AM
Could anyone translate the noche's talk room ? ._.'

Sydney
December 24, 2010, 06:25 AM
I usually don't buy artbooks, but since DGM is my favorite series, I decided to support it by buying the artbook. I'm glad I did because the scans just don't do the pictures justice. Some of the pictures that I thought wasn't impressive were better in the artbook. The scans doesn't show how colorful some of the art work can be and some the images are split apart in the scans while in the artbook it is together, which gives you a better look at the picture.

It would be nice if someone does translate the talk room. It also looks like Hoshino comments on some to the pictures at the end. That would be interesting too.

Niko_kun
December 24, 2010, 08:45 AM
I agree with you. I bought my artbook in july, and its so different of the scans. It's more beautiful and colorful. :D

ketorin
December 25, 2010, 12:54 AM
^ I'm exactly with you guys. The scans do not do it justice. I thought it was amazing just scanned but when I saw the actual thing I was in aw, it's so beautiful. You don't get the full . . .experience from the scans. So if you haven't bought a copy yet, GET IT! It's amazing.

luna_wolf
December 25, 2010, 08:59 PM
damn you people, i realy want to get my noche and look at it, but i cant becasue its back in my flat.
and yes, its so much prettier in book format than online.
its one of the best art books ive seen in a long time

MSofAofCOCA
December 26, 2010, 03:04 PM
geeeez! With everyone agreeing that it looks better than in scans, makes me want to get it!! But before that, what are the chances of Noche being translated to English, and possibly when? Preferably, i would like to get the translated version, but if the chaces are low and/or too long ways off, i'll just get it now... =3

Sydney
December 27, 2010, 04:06 AM
I'm not sure if it will be translated. The artwork is the main focus after all, I believe Hoshino's comments are just extras that aren't really needed to enjoy it. Yeah, it would be nice to know what the text said, but I don't think it is necessary either. If you like Hoshino's artwork, then you'll probably like Noche.

luna_wolf
December 27, 2010, 08:57 AM
i hope it will be translated, though as nothing related to DGM other than the manga volumes has ever been translated, i dont know if it will be happening anytime soon.
though we can live in hope

MSofAofCOCA
December 27, 2010, 10:02 AM
...if the Noche interview is about Hoshino and her editors, then i remember reading a translation on Livejournal. I'll try to find it again, but i think i found it through either DGrayDivinity or MH.... O.O''

Niko_kun
December 27, 2010, 10:17 AM
No, the talk room is about hoshino x takeshi obata (death note, bakuman) and hoshino x autor of kochikame (i don't know his name) :P

MSofAofCOCA
December 27, 2010, 11:55 AM
No, the talk room is about hoshino x takeshi obata (death note, bakuman) and hoshino x autor of kochikame (i don't know his name) :P

oooooooooooooooh. nevermind.
that explains why raito was in noche though... >.>'

illusion410
December 28, 2010, 02:08 PM
Sorry if somebody has already asked this, but who is this in this picture?
http://kisuki.net/artbooks/d-gray-man-illustrations-noche/item13
He looks like a Noah, but I don't recognize him... :huh

By the way, I'm new here. So hi. :vbunny

ying_su
December 28, 2010, 02:17 PM
Welcome Ilusion410!!
Glad to see new users in DGM forums!!

Well, that one in the cover is Komui. Not sure what he has in his arms.

Niko_kun
December 28, 2010, 02:42 PM
/\ I think that's a baby, but i don't have sure... x.x

MSofAofCOCA
December 28, 2010, 02:42 PM
uh.......komui has gold eyes in that picture.
wait, WHAT?!
...did anyone figure out the mystery baby?

riki
December 28, 2010, 02:47 PM
There was a discussion about it in the DGM Volume Cover thread and it's believed that Komui is holding a doll. It might be a reference to Lenalee and the other exorcists' lost childhood.

ying_su
December 28, 2010, 02:50 PM
Yeah, i'm agree with Riki, that baby-doll must be a symbol of the lost childhood or something related.

illusion410
December 28, 2010, 03:56 PM
That sounds about right. Or maybe it's referring to his protection of the exorcists or something like that? I'm still confused about why he looks like a Noah w/o the holy marks :blink oh well. if you try too hard to figure out the meaning behind all the drawings in DGM you'll go mad haha.

And thanks for the welcome!

Dlanor_A.Knox
December 29, 2010, 02:16 PM
Yay sharp eye x3
I always looked at the puzzle pieces, but never looked closely at komui..

oh and welcome on this forum ^^V

Naomidee
January 01, 2011, 02:21 PM
It does look like it could be a doll, but I'm also getting an Akuma vibe from whatever it is.

Perhaps, it representational of how the Science Division created their own Akuma.

Of course, this would make more sense if Rene or someone more involved with the Third Exorcist Project was holding the baby, but... I always get this feeling that Komui feels responsible as well. Although he didn't invent or create the sins, he forces himself to sit back and watch it all happen.

luna_wolf
January 03, 2011, 08:00 PM
ive always thought that the baby represents komuis determination to bring about a change or a new future, but his new way of doing things (caring for the exoirsists, no experimenting on humans or wasting life) is young like a baby and just as fragile, so he must protect it.

or

i thought it was him holding lenalee as a baby, because she has no memory of her parents because they were aprently killed by akuma. and its him wishing to protect her forever. like a vow?

who knows, i have a tendancy to over think things

fuff
January 17, 2011, 04:00 AM
okay i was looking at the drawings...on page 95 whos holding tim? is that cross?
and the little girl with the wings...is that lenalee? why does she have wings?
also on page 93 does anybody have those images on top in a bigger size? numbers 7 9 10

relory
January 18, 2011, 06:53 AM
Yup, it's Cross holding Tim ^^

When I saw the girl I honestly thought it was Hevlaska at first, but yeah, I believe it's Lenalee :amuse I don't know why she has wings... maybe it's symbolic to her innocence(as the substance sometimes appears as wings)? Or maybe it's linked to (arch)angel symbolism (http://community.livejournal.com/dgrayman/761970.html)? Or maybe Komui dressed up his cute little sister for Haloween? :D Oooor maybe Hoshino was just playing around? :sweat

Teeba
January 19, 2011, 09:26 AM
^ I thought the girl with wings was that ghost girl who possessed Lenalee and Reever in the Zombie Arc? o_O If not, then yeah, maybe Hoshino is playing around with us. :lmao

fuff
January 20, 2011, 06:38 AM
^ I thought the girl with wings was that ghost girl who possessed Lenalee and Reever in the Zombie Arc? o_O If not, then yeah, maybe Hoshino is playing around with us. :lmao

i think its lenAlee because of the bandages on her legs....

Akiyama
April 01, 2011, 11:43 AM
D.Gray-man Illustrations listed by Viz at Simon and Shuster (http://books.simonandschuster.com/D-Gray-man-Illustrations/Katsura-Hoshino/D-Gray-Man/9781421541242)
via tanbishugi (http://twitter.com/#!/tanbishugi)

luna_wolf
April 01, 2011, 06:54 PM
does this mean they are translating it to english?

riki
April 01, 2011, 06:57 PM
Yes, they are. You can preorder it from Amazon.

luna_wolf
April 01, 2011, 07:18 PM
GAH! but my address will be different by that time next year =_=
i guess ill have to preorder it in 4 months.

yukilove21
April 02, 2011, 02:53 PM
Oh awesome! I will have to order it! I am determined to have everything DGM in English. I already hae the manga volumes that are released, and the anime so I can't wait to get this!

Niko_kun
April 02, 2011, 03:20 PM
if i buy it, will be just to read the talkroom (because i have the japanese version). But i think that someone will post the inteview here :}

hopeandlight
December 16, 2011, 11:37 PM
hi guys, I know I'm being lazy, but has there been any official mention of Allen's original hair color, so places say red or red brown in the manga
thanks, I'd like to know

HaiSuShi
December 17, 2011, 09:48 AM
Noche is coming out in Germany, yay! (officially in January, but you can order it already)
Still can't believe I can soon read everything translated.

Dlanor_A.Knox
December 19, 2011, 02:58 PM
Tell me when it's out 0o0 !!!
Yay for Germany x3

HaiSuShi
December 19, 2011, 04:11 PM
Buyed it today. Seems like it's a limited edition though, if I understood that correctly.
It was supposed to be published in January, but it's already available in the bookstore, so I took the chance..:hurr

And it's AWESOME! I'm reading the interviews at the moment.:wtf

Niko_kun
December 19, 2011, 06:16 PM
I wish that I could read it too =(

Dlanor_A.Knox
December 28, 2011, 07:44 AM
Buyed it today. Seems like it's a limited edition though, if I understood that correctly.
It was supposed to be published in January, but it's already available in the bookstore, so I took the chance..:hurr

And it's AWESOME! I'm reading the interviews at the moment.:wtf

*insert hallelujah sound* I saw it in the german amazon!
Do you know where I can buy it? I tried on amazon but I don't have a credit card orso ;.;

And on Archonia is only a french one avaible >.<

ZERO PHOENIX
December 28, 2011, 01:11 PM
FIFTY BUCKS?! I could get three artbooks for that amount of cash.

HaiSuShi
December 28, 2011, 08:46 PM
If you want the german version, try Tokyopop (http://tokyopop.de/buecher/artbooks_und_specials/d_gray_man_noche/band1.php).
Don't know about other languages though...

AliceWalker
March 17, 2012, 05:17 PM
i have some of the pages.
http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/m564/AliceWalkerChan/Artbook%20Noche/

Furenshi
March 19, 2012, 05:13 AM
I'm so happy :D My boyfriend gave me the DGM Artbook Noche for my birthday in english. Best gift ever!

Niko_kun
March 19, 2012, 05:38 AM
I'm so happy :D My boyfriend gave me the DGM Artbook Noche for my birthday in english. Best gift ever!

oh that's so great haha (: could you scan the talk room parts? if you have a scanner xD or maybe you could just write them to us, fans who are dying to read that D:

Furenshi
March 20, 2012, 06:54 AM
oh that's so great haha (: could you scan the talk room parts? if you have a scanner xD or maybe you could just write them to us, fans who are dying to read that D:

Sure I can do that. If I have some time. I don't have a working scanner though, so I'll need to write it out. I'll see what I can do ;)

edit: I think I might take a while, though, just typed the first page, around 800 words T_T So I hope you guys are a bit patient :D

Niko_kun
March 20, 2012, 11:13 AM
Sure I can do that. If I have some time. I don't have a working scanner though, so I'll need to write it out. I'll see what I can do ;)

edit: I think I might take a while, though, just typed the first page, around 800 words T_T So I hope you guys are a bit patient :D

yaaaay i can't thank you enough! We will wait anxiously :)

Furenshi
March 24, 2012, 08:42 AM
Allright I've finished the first part. I got it in a word file and in a pdf. But how can I share it with you guys? *is a bit of a noob in this xD*

riki
March 24, 2012, 09:55 AM
You can use mediafire or one of the other filesharing websites and upload your file there. Then post the download link here.

Furenshi
March 24, 2012, 11:12 AM
Okay lets see if this works then.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/bkfsw7j7r0wffgp/Noche_Talk_Room_No.pdf

This is the first talk. The one between Akimoto Sensei and Hoshino Sensei

Lomahongva
March 24, 2012, 03:13 PM
@Furenshi: thanks for your transcription!!!! I ordered my copy this week (french edition) but it won't be in my hans till late April. ]sighs] Thanks to you, i can kill a bit my anxiety. Thanks again!!

capricorn
March 24, 2012, 04:23 PM
That was really nice to read, I have so much more appreciation for what Hoshino does, thank you:)

Niko_kun
March 24, 2012, 05:07 PM
she's so cute! >3< I'm waiting for the hoshino x obata one, i wanna know about what he thinks that 'plagiarism' story....

Furenshi
March 24, 2012, 06:16 PM
No problem guys. In a few days I will have the talk between hoshino and Obata!

Teeba
March 28, 2012, 08:18 PM
I recently got my copy as a gift from my sister, and let me just say that Hoshino-sensei is adorable and amazing in every sense of the word! I LOVED her conversation with Akimoto-sensei. It was just so unexpected yet so chillax. Hoshino reminds me of an old soul.

My favorite part was how irked she got at Akimoto admitting he preferred Lenalee with long hair. xD Everyone does except her, it seems.

Also, to answer Niko-kun's question about whether or not Obata's interview mentions plagarism -- it doesn't. But the interview is well worth the read, it's full of drawing geekery! I'm really happy Furenshi is taking the time to scan her copy to share with us. :crying

Niko_kun
March 28, 2012, 09:09 PM
I recently got my copy as a gift from my sister, and let me just say that Hoshino-sensei is adorable and amazing in every sense of the word! I LOVED her conversation with Akimoto-sensei. It was just so unexpected yet so chillax. Hoshino reminds me of an old soul.

My favorite part was how irked she got at Akimoto admitting he preferred Lenalee with long hair. xD Everyone does except her, it seems.

Also, to answer Niko-kun's question about whether or not Obata's interview mentions plagarism -- it doesn't. But the interview is well worth the read, it's full of drawing geekery! I'm really happy Furenshi is taking the time to scan her copy to share with us. :crying

haha thank you! I think that he didn't mention it because he doesn't considered like plagiarism. :)

Furenshi
March 29, 2012, 04:32 AM
It is such a nice read :D But I'll need to type it over, my scanner sucks ;) And I'm afraid you guys need to wait a few more days. My pc sucks right now, so I'll have to format it.

Bloody Queen
March 30, 2012, 08:51 AM
Hello there :) New member here! I bought Noche in English months ago and I'm planning to post the interviews (which are mostly about drawings but some funny jokes included, well it is Hoshino :hee). Which one you guys and gals want first?

Niko_kun
March 30, 2012, 09:02 AM
HoshinoxObata pleaseee! I want read it xDD (And the one with akimoto was already translated for Furenshi :)

Bloody Queen
March 30, 2012, 10:26 AM
Okaaay! This take some time because the book is insanely huge and the letters are so small... :hip

Noche: Hoshino/Obata Page 1

"A manga by Obata Sensei was the first manga I ever saw that really impressed me!" (Hoshino)

--- This time we're at Hoshino Sensei's workplace for a talk with Takeshi Obata, an author whom she respects like a God!

H (Hoshino): All I can say is how thankful I am for this opportunity! Among the manga I read early in elementary school is Obata Sensei's Lamp Lamp. It made an incredible impression on me. It was the first manga I ever saw that really impressed me, and ever since then Obata Sensei has been someone I place on a level with Hayao Miyazaki. When it comes to manga, I like Obata Sensei, and when it comes to anime, I like Miyazaki Sensei.

O (Obata): Please don't compare me with Miyazaki Sensei! (sweat) And Lamp Lamp is a little embarrassing too!

H: Really?! I read other manga back then, but I just skimmed through the stories. Only Lamp Lamp made me stop and look at the art and wonder, "How did he draw this?" I stared, full of interest, at how you drew the Dogon Punch. (laugh)

--- Obata Sensei, is this your first time at Hoshino Sensei's place of work?

O: Yes. I've been looking forward to talking with her today.

H: Thank you! I actually designed my workplace to look how imagined yours does!I heard through my editor at the time that your workplace is stylish, with white as the base tone.

O: Where'd that information come from?! (laugh) It isn't stylish! My room is actually a horrible wreck. There's manuscript paper all over the floor!

H: Really?!

O: Yes. (pointing at Hoshino Sensei's white bookshelf) Did you pick out this shelf for materials yourself?

H: Yes. When I ran out of space for materials where I used to live, I bought a bunch of the cheapest stuff I could find through mail order. I chose white for this, with your workplace in mind.

O: Huh?! I use cardboard boxes for bookshelves! (laugh)

H: Huh? Really?! When I picked out a desk and shelves, I'm certain the editor told me all kinds of stuff. That's weird... (sweat)

"I still haven't found my idea pen." (Hoshino)

--- Hoshino Sensei, during the discussion for the D.Gray-man fanbook, you said that you didn't know about dip pens until your debut,

H: Yeah. A pen that you dip in the ink before drawing... I though, "No one uses those anymore, do they?!" (laugh) When my editor told me that everyone in manga draws that way, I couldn't believe it.

O: I'm with you there. Why pen and ink this day and age? (laugh) At first, I though they were neat. I though that the shape of a G-pen, for example, was really cool, but I see them every day now, so I've had enough. I want them to come out with something new! (laugh)

H: Who needs that extra gesture of dipping in the ink, right?

O: Yeah, it's unnecessary. Even now, my hand won't take to the pen - I just can't get used to it.

H: Mine either. I;m always changing pen tips. (laugh)

O: And the brand?

H: The brand and the type of the tip. I search around, thinking, "There's gotta be a pen tip that fits my hand!" But I can't find one. When I find out I'm back to the Zebra G-pen I was using at the start, I think, "Darn it! I've come full circle!!" (laugh) I keep repeating that cycle.

O: I do that with paper. If I think a certain kind of paper is difficult to draw on, I switch to a different kind. When I do, I think, "Yes! This is it!!" But as I'm working, I gradually start to think, "No, it's not right." I repeat that and end up with several kinds of paper for a single chapter! (laugh)

H: Do you ever use paper that isn't manga manuscript paper?

O: No, I just change the brand. (laugh) I go around all the high-quality and Kent paper types. I can never find one that satisfies me. It might not really be the paper that's the problem, but my own ability! (wry laugh) What kind of paper do you use?

H: I've only ever used IC's manga manuscript (high quality). I only use normal Kent paper for two-pages spreads. I tend to think that all paper is the same, so I've thought about changing it. I figure it's good enough as long it doesn't get rough when I erase.

O: Oh...

H: Kent paper is a little heavy, so when I'm drawing, it's hard to turn. And the surface is too smooth, so personally, I find it hard to ink. I prefer high-quality paper that sort of grabs the pen tip.

Well... that's the first long and big page of the Hoshino/Obata interview. Since tomorrow is Saturday, I think I'll post the next one soon :hee

hopeandlight
March 30, 2012, 11:48 AM
hoshino and obata are so funny
they meet and discuss paper

Mango-chan
March 30, 2012, 09:21 PM
Great minds think alike.... "dip pens are ridiculous!".
:derp

Bloody Queen
March 30, 2012, 11:40 PM
O: I know what you mean. I like the paper to the grab the pen too (something's wrong with this sentence...or is it just me?). But doesn't Kent paper do that better than high-quality paper?

H: I feel like Kent paper is smoother. But Kent paper has lots of different types. I've only used the Kent that the assistant who worked at the art supply shop said was the best, so I can't really say!

--- Obata Sensei, do you pay attention to pen tips?

O: No. I've always just figured pen tips are what they are. (laugh) I use a Zabra G-pen. Are there other brands?

H: There's Tachikawa and Nikko. I've tried them out as I come across them, and I've also tried maru-pens, kabura-pens and school-pens.

--- You each pay attention to completely different things when it comes to art supplies. You should ask each other for suggestion.

H: I think I'll try using manuscript paper from a different maker sometime. I really don't know anything about paper. What do you recommend, Obata Sensei?

O: Hmm... I'm not actually knowledgeable enough about art materials to teach anyone anything! (wry laugh) I do like the way Kent paper grabs the pen tip a little, but I hate it when you do a black fill and the ink soaks too much, so it gets rough. High-quality paper is too smooth, so I don't like the way it feels to draw on it. But filling an area in with black goes smoothly, so personally it's a toss-up. Do you recommend a particular pen tip?

H: Hmm... I still haven't found my ideal pen. I suppose right now I'd recommend what I use the most, a Zebra pen.

O: What makes a pen difficult to draw with?

H: Ideally, I'd to be able to ink with just one pen tip. I keep looking for a pen that will draw a firm line the first time, one that will make a beautiful line even if I don't use much strength. They're all good at first, but when I get tired and I increase the pressure I apply, the pen tip breaks. I may be asking for too much, but I want a pen that draws beautiful lines up to the end even if the pressure on the pen changes. (laugh)

"I'm impressed because Hoshino Sensei's spirit comes across through her art." (Obata)

--- What do you try to accomplish when you draw your manga?

H: I always try to draw pictures that will impress the readers, whether through the character's facial expression or the composition. If it looks like a certain composition is going to turn out plain, I re-draw it. But time runs out that way, so I'm always in deadline hell! (wry laugh) I feel like I have to draw pictures that will impress the fans, though, so I'm always under a strange pressure as I draw.

O: Wow! In my case, I start with a layout to follow and attach pictures to that, so I work under the exact opposite feeling. I need to resist the temptation to think, "If it were me I would lay out the panels like this." I feel like I want to do something fancy, but if I do, the flow of the original breaks down. For that reason, I choose to suppress that feeling to make the overall work interesting. I'm jealous that you can draw so freely.

H: That's no true! Every day it's like I'm trying wring out a dry cloth! (wry laugh) But when the fans say, "Your art is great!" I know I can't let the, down and have to keep improving.

O: That spirit comes across when I read your manga. I'm always impressed as I read your work.

H: I'm humbled. Thank you.

Well, just a little typing before I put my eye-patch on for the next 6-8 hours (I have a lazy eye, also knows as Lazy Eye Syndrome) so I can't read the Art Book while at it... :-_- it's on 90% mark, only a matter of time 'till it reach 100%! (the doctor said don't hope too much, though...) I'll check for spelling mistakes (I posted this using my iPad, no spell check) later.

Hey... I wonder if Lazy Eye Syndrome is the reason Lavi wears an eye-patch? :derp

--- Obata Sensei, is there anything you would like to ask Hoshino Sensei

O: Yes! Lots of things! How do you draw these hexagon meshes? (see illustrations on page 14-15) (also the CP in ch.52)

H: I just used to buckle down and draw by hand, but then I'd be like, "I'll never finish in time!" Now we use a computer. My assistant does them very well, so they look like they're done with a pen. Do you give instructions to your assistants for the placement of tones before you receive the manuscript?

O: Yes. But I do all the black fills and tones for the characters' shadows myself.

H: Have you ever thought of leaving the black fills to others?

O: No, I couldn't do that.

H: I know what you mean. I hate to leave that black fills to others. For example, even if I put an x where I want the assistants to do one, I think, "I want to do it myself!" and "I've got to see it through!" But when I do, the manuscript falls behind, so I get what I deserve! (wry laugh)

O: Your character lines are incredible. (looking at a color copy of "The 188th Night") When I see this, I think, "Ah! What nice lines!"

H: I drew that in a rush right before deadline.

O: This?! In a rush?! Would you give me a copy of the manuscript later? (laugh) You drew this with a blue pencil first, right? And then drew rough sketches over that?

H: Yes. I worry over the lines a lot. I used to just jump right into the rough sketches with pencil, but I had to erase so many times that it was taking forever. I decided to do rough sketches in blue first, and than only use the lines that I liked.

"It would be great if someday I drew the perfect illustration and then just fell over and died!!" (Hoshino) [Me: What?! :gwah No, no, no, no! Hoshino Sensei!!]

H: I really like the expression you draw on your characters faces. I feel a chill when I see L's face in Death Note, or an evil expression on Kira. Do you do something to create a mood when you draw a facial expression like that? When I draw a sad scene, I get myself in the mood before going to work. I listen to sad music and start drawing when I'm about to cry.

O: I suppose I do something like that too. You have to really immerse yourself when you draw, so I don't think happy thoughts as I work. I don't allow myself any changes of pace either.

H: You immerse yourself.

O: Yeah. At work, I only ease up during mealtime, but sometimes not even then. I sit in silence and shut out the outside world.

H: So that's how you get those facial expression?

O: Yeah. And if I think of a certain face isn't right, I redraw it. I fumble around until I find what I want.

H: I'm also the type to totally immerse myself, so I'm glad to find out we're a little similar in that way.

--- I have the impression you both draw very detailed art. Is that because you want it to look realistic?

H: No, I'd actually rather make the designs for the Organization's uniform simpler, but it just doesn't go well! (wry laugh)

O: I think simple is better too. Simple designs are best for manga. The ideal is for the readers to recognize the characters at a glance, but I'm not very good at achieving that. That's why I put effort into adding characteristics.

--- So, for example, Akira Toriyama's designs suit your ideal?

O: Yes. I can't do anything as genius as his designs, so I have to put in all kinds of detail.

H: In my case, it's because I don't have confidence in my art. My editor tells me to get rid of all the unnecessary lines, but still can't generate the right effects unless I put in detail. I want to cut down on the number of lines, but I can't, so there's a constant struggle. When I'm going to draw clothes and I think about the material, I figure the readers will be able to tell the material better if I put in some lighter parts, rather than just marking it all black fill/ I want my art to be convincing. I'm amazed by people who can just dash off good art. I hope that someday I can do that, and I believe that if I keep drawing, the number of lines will decrease. (laugh)

The first part is fixed! :^_^

"Obata Sensei is someone I place on a level with Hayao Miyazaki." (from page two and one, I forgot to type it in.)

--- Is that your goal as a manga artist?

H: Yes. I'm never satisfied with my art. I want to be able to draw pictures that are simple, but suit the manga in that they strike home. It would be great if someday I drew the perfect illustration and then just fell over and die! [Me: Again?! :gwah Can you hear the screaming fans for you not to do it?! :worrybunny]

O: Don't say that! Keep going, please! [Me: See?! :hip] Your art is amazing because of how hard you try to be good. I'm worried that if you keep drawing manga with that attitude, something like that might actually happen! (sweat) [Me: You mean the hiatus(es) is a curse?!] In my case, I'm just trying to scrape by somehow as a manga author! (laugh) I'm only thinking about keeping food on the table and surviving as a manga author. I'm not sure how long I can keep going.

H: Maybe I'm still green. [Me: Can someone explain it to me what this means?]

O: No, I think you need to keep that spirit. I need to work hard myself.

H: I'm happy to hear you say that. I feel like you're way ahead of me. I'm always puzzled–but in a good way–when I see your art. I think, "Oh, that's another way of doing it..." But there are still areas where you want to improve?

O: Nothing but! (laugh) I can't draw good facial expression. I can only draw crying or laughing face, but I can't draw anything that will make readers think, "I want to take this expression home with me." That's my goal right now. The expressions on the faces of in my current title, Bakuman, are changing all the time, so I'm always wondering when I'll draw just the right one. But you're already getting it just right!

H: I don't think so! Not at all! These days–maybe it's just because of developments in D.Gray-man have been intense for a while–but all I can draw anymore is simple eyes. I can't draw eyes sparkling with light like I used to! (wry laugh) It's a manga without many smiling faces, so a problem I'm facing right now is I've forgotten how to draw the characters with smiling faces.

O: But your art is evolving, right?

H: It never comes to rest! (wry laugh) But I'm hardly aware of it myself. When D.Gray-man was weekly, I was absorbed in drawing as hard as I could. When someone told me my art had changed, I though, "Huh? How?" After about half a year had passed, I compared and though, "It's true!"

O: I think you're getting better. No one can draw as well as you!

H: No, no! I want my art to stabilize as soon as possible! (wry laugh)

"When I see Hoshino-san's incredible art, I just want to sulk!" (Obata)

--- When you do a color illustration, do you have an idea of the colors even as you're doing the rough sketches?

O: I have a vague idea of the overall palette.

H: When I draw the rough sketches, I, too, have an idea of the colors. But then, I actually put in the colors in my head, I think, "Huh? I thought this would look good, but it's weird!" When the colors I imagined don't work out, I think, "Then what colors will be good?!" and spend more time avoiding it.

O: I see. You decide the colors in more details as you color it in.

H: I don't have the skill for choosing colors. (wry laugh) It isn't something I've cultivated so far. I never even colored much as a child, so I've been avoiding it. Maybe that's why I like black and white.

O: Me too! I always hated coloring. In my school days, my teachers would say, "Your lines are good, but the colors are another story." Masahiko Ibaraki(3) also told me that.

--- Was that because of the color scheme or your coloring technique?

O: I don't know which. He just told me they were no good. (wry laugh) I went to a bookstore once to find a book of art by the illustrator Hajime Sorayama(4) and they were showing a how-to video about coloring. I watched that for a long time and learned how to do it. Since then, I've worked my hardest at coloring.

H: I first encountered the challenge of coloring when I had to do a color illustration for a cover when I debuted. Until then, as an animator, coloring was outside me area, so I was like, "Uh-oh!"

O: I've noticed that you can color a number of different ways. Liken in a picture book. Or really thickly. When I saw this (top illustrations on pg. 48). I was surprised. [Me: The "Party Mix". It contains 5 different illustrations)

H: I did that in acrylic. It wasn't for the weekly magazine, so I thought I'd be adventurous. I wanted to try changing that art materials, but it didn't turn out the way I wanted and was a big failure. (wry laugh) I decided never to look at it again.

O: But it's great!

H: Back when I did this, I was always coloring with Copic. But I could never do it well, so I though Copic might not be the right for me. I tried feeling to a different medium, but failed, so now I'm back with Copic. Just like with my Zebra pen tips! (wry laugh)

--- Obata Sensei, have you ever thought about coloring with something besides Copic?

O: No. I can't do very many different things. When I see Hoshino-san's incredible art, I just want to sulk! Her art is really too good. Mine is nothing compared to hers. My spirit trembles so much I don't want to work! [Me: All authors suffered through that phase, like me, who sulks in the corner all day...]

H: Don't say that, Obata Sensei! When I see your work, I feel the same way!

(3) Obata Sensei's first editor. Current chief editor of Jump SQ.
(4) An illustrator who helped design the robot AIBO.

Lomahongva
April 04, 2012, 02:35 PM
Thanks Bloody Queen for the interview!!! I'm so happy that I could finally read it!!!

Uhm imo the "plagiarism" thing wasn't mentioned because Hoshino drew Miranda's blow hair in a natural way. I mean, anyone could have done the same thing if his aim in that panel was to show a woman's head with her air blowing. The problem is that shades and position reminded Obata's panel which showed L's in a quite similar position. What's more, the interview was done by Shueisha's team, which is the editorial both authors work for. Putting the "plagiarism" thing in the table again wouldn't have been the best idea because the series' sales/popularity could be affected. So the best thing was forget it.

Kalyra
April 04, 2012, 10:56 PM
haha xD Obata sulks sometimes too..

Maybe what Hoshino said about being green is like saying shes not ripe yet?. If that helps xD

Also, thanks~ :amuse

Bloody Queen
April 05, 2012, 11:59 AM
Um, should I write in a new post when someone post something after my post or should I just edit my previous post to add the next part?

Well, just in case...

"The final picture never matches what I set out to draw!" (Hoshino)

--- How do you come up with ideas for title pages?

H: I draw a bunch of small frames on a piece of paper and come up with several different compositions. But then when I go to draw the real thing, I start drawing something completely different. (laugh) The final picture never matches what I set out to draw! It constantly changes while I'm drawing and turns out in a way I never expected. I improvise...just going with the flow. (laugh) What I first set out to draw will be pretty cool, but it's just a neat idea and may not suit D.Gray-man.

O: Wow. It sounds fun to draw with such freedom. I'm the opposite. I come up with several compositions, but usually I end up drawing the first one I came up with. The picture I want to draw right now just spills right out. That alone won't be enough for a title page, though, so then I add in smaller things, and those additions take a lot of time. Aside from that, I don't think about it too deeply! (laugh)

H: It's about going with the flow. i always think up motionless compositions and would rather draw more active ones, but it;s hard. However, D.Gray-man has a tendency to be dark, so I try to think of bright title pages.

--- The title page for "The 187th Night" (illustration on pages 68-69) is pretty bright. [Me: The ever awesome Allen/Kanda cover that made me spat out my meal and check if it's really D.Gray-man multiple times...]

H: I drew that because I hadn't drawn anything for D.Gray-man that felt modern. Because of developments in the story, I had to put in the Crows, but everyone wouldn't fit! (wry laugh) Then I had the idea of putting graffiti on a wall, and then I thought it would be good to have the background ba a basketball court. It was all on the fly. If I had more time, though, I'd like to think over my compositions more!

O: I know what you mean. I'm buried every day. Not having enough time is a big problem. (wry laugh)

H: I always wish I could go to the Room of Spirit and Time!(5) (laugh)

(5) A facility that appears in Dragon Ball. One day in the outside world is 365 days inside.

"When I saw the advertisement, I panicked and thought, 'Someone really great has come to Jump!'" (Obata)

--- Hoshino Sensei, what are your favorite illustrations by Obata Sensei?

H: I like the one where Sai and Hikaru are climbing a sakura tree. I think Sai was playing a flute (flipping through Hikaru no Go Illustrations: Sai) This one! (See illustration A) This makes a deep impression.

O: Oh! Thank you.

"No one can draw as well as you!" (Obata)

H: I think the part of it is that I like the combination of pink and purple, but I liked this as soon as I saw it. (Me: There goes the reason for all the purple covers...)

O: I don't really remember, but I think I wanted to do something with a lot of pink. And the tree is sort of red.

H: And I like this one with an autumn feeling! (See illustration B)

O: Oh, that's one that I'm even pleased with!

H: Did you do the fan in the background in pencil?

O: No, a gray, fine pen for Copic. I put it in at the end, after coloring it.

--- Obata Sensei, are there any D.Gray illustrations that have made an impression on you?

O: I like this one (illustration on page 7) [2004 Weekly Shounen Jump, no. 26 announcement cut] When I saw this picture in a Jump advertisement, I was shocked and though, " Someone really great has come to Jump!" I'll never forget that. This one's good too (illustrations on page 78-79) [2007 Weekly Shounen Jump. No. 10; 106th Night title page] When I went to an event at France once, this was a hanging display at the size of a whole wall. I remember it was really cool.

H: A hanging display?! That's the first time I've heard of that! But at that size, any flaws would stand out... (sweat) Actually, the editor got mad at me when I drew this. He said, " Why'd you draw something hard like this when there's no time?!" (wry laugh) I'd reading Death Note, though, and wanted to draw something cool.

--- Are there any of your own illustrations that you particularly like?

O: I don't really have the whole concepts of liking my own finished illustrations. But drawing this one (illustration C) was fun. I really wanted to draw this picture, but there was no occasion for it in the Hikaru series. The background is white, and so are Sai's clothes. And I really wanted to show the white snow passing over Sai's body. Which of your own illustrations do you like, Hoshino-san?

H: Hmm... I suppose the illustration from the first graphic novel (illustration on page 40) [Volume 1 Cover], because it was the first time I remember my editor complimenting me. At first, I wanted to draw Allen's and Earl's profile in the exact opposition, but my editor said that the main character has to face the front and scrapped it, so Allen came to the front.

O: The main character does have to be right out in the front for the first graphic novel.

H: Yeah, I noticed that later on. At first, I was just drawing whatever I wanted. (laugh) But now, I draw from the fans' point of view. I think about what characters I should put in to make them happy.

"The underground excites me." (Hoshino)

H: A reference book is fine, but do you have a favorite photo book?

O: A photo collections of hotels in Mexico. The decorations and moldings are interesting.

H: Mexico is where the old men wear hats like this (outlining the shape of a sombrero in the air with her hands), right?

O: Yeah. I'm not especially knowledgeable about Mexico, but when I look at the photo collection, the cathedrals, for example, are really interesting. The people in different regions make statues of Mary according to their own ideas of her and lots of the churches are pretty weird. How about you?

H: I like a photo collection called Japan Underground. It's full of pictures of underground places in Japan. The underground excites me. It's thrilling to know what's beneath my feet.. It's a little magical. I like the feeling of having discovered a secret base when I learn about someplace I didn't know about before - even though it's someplace I'm always at.

--- Now, before we end, I'd like to hear your thoughts on today.

H: Before we started, I was really nervous because I would to get a talk with such a god, and now that we've talked so much, I'm filled with happiness. I've memorized everything you said today, Obata Sensei! Some similarities between us came up, and some of what discussed is invigorating to me, so now I feel like I can keep working hard. I feel really lucky to be able to meet someone I've admired ever since I was a child. I'm glad I became a manga artist!

O: Before our discussion, I was unsure about a number of things, like whether I'd have much of value to say, but it was really interesting. I thought you are naturally a real deal when it comes to manga artist/ I think you're a genius!

H: I'm so humbled I could die...

O: (holding a copy of D.Gray manuscript) Now that I've got so many copies of your manuscripts, I, too, can keep going! [Me: Um... I sense plagiarism... ah, forget it...]

H: You're going to take all that (pointing to the manuscript copy) home with you?! I should have prepared something better!

[Me: Nice last words...]

EXCHANGE ILLUSTRATIONS

To commemorate their first discussion, the sensei exchange illustrations of their favorite characters! Obata Sensei requested Jasdevi, saying, "I really like Jasdevi - especially when they're totally crazy!" Of course, Hoshino requested a character from Majin Lamp, which she liked ever since she was a child!