PDA

View Full Version : Complete Rurouni Kenshin by Watsuki Nobuhiro

Gold Knight
February 06, 2006, 07:25 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/Philster043/Internet%20Images/KenshinSmall.jpg

This is the Rurouni Kenshin manga / anime discussion thread.

This is the one manga I consider to be better than Naruto... :o ... believe it or not. The writing is superb, the art is highly engaging, and the characters are just plain awesome.

To say nothing of how fast-paced the story is, and how it always keeps you on the edge of your seat.

I'm talking about the manga, which I just recently completed. I haven't watched the anime. I read up to volume 22 with Viz's translations, which are superb, and then finished the rest on-line (the series is 28 volumes long). It's a magnificent story.

If you are a Rurouni Kenshin fan or reader or watcher, this is the place to come to discuss it.

Remember, if you are talking about story details that may be considered spoilers to newer readers, please place them between spoiler tags to keep from spoiling the story for anybody. Thanks!

Oh, by the way if you ARE new to the story, you can download the entire manga at #lurk on irc in the Neverwhere packlists.

If you can't use irc, PM or e-mail ShgnLW if you want to see more of the manga, he's willing to help out.

EDIT: ShgnLW has uploaded the following RK volumes to rapidshare for your convenience:

Edit2: Seems like all the links have died. If you're looking for any volumes or chapters, just post which ones you want. Somebody here will help you get them.

Okay, let's discuss!

1. Where are you in the story? How did you get into RK?
2. Favorite character?
3. Favorite point in the story? (Spoiler-tags)
4. Favorite battle? (Spoiler-tags)
5. Your overall opinion of RK?
6. (If you have watched the anime and read the manga both) Which is better, the manga or anime?

ShgnLW
February 06, 2006, 11:21 AM
YES YES YES!!! This is my favorite manga!! Yes yes!! Read 1-6 and 18-28 PLUS watched the anime until episode 61 ;)

DOWNLOAD IT, READ IT, BUY IT AND READ IR AGAIN!!!

I like samurai and shit like that, before I went into this manga thing I heard something about a wandering samurai with a sword that can't kill. I got interested in it and after a year (yeah, a year, you heard me right) I started to watch the anime. than. when it became boring I started to read the super cool and awesome manga. Damn the quotes!! If you like quotes and shit like that READ IT!!!

2. Favorite character?
Saitoh Hajime, All the way ;)

Volume 27: Saitoh vs the one from the 4-stars who is an expert at countering every technique. The quote Saitoh uses when he is at the point of killing/defeating his opponent: What's this? A small variation like this?. Before, he says another wonderfull thing: No matter if you can see through my technique it is no use, if you can't avoid it... That last quote, wonderfull...

Fight between Kenshin and Enishi, but I think almost everyone agrees with me ;)

OVA: FANTASTIC!!!
MANGA: FANTASTIC!!!
ANIME: AVERAGE...

6. (If you have watched the anime and read the manga both) Which is better, the manga or anime?
Manga, absolutely sure. If you want the manga (volume 1-6, 18-28) you can e-mail me and I'll post it on my forum.

Otome
February 06, 2006, 05:27 PM
Yea!! RuroKen is one of the best manga I've read. Love it still, even though I finished reading and watching it years ago. :]

~*Let just say that I've already finished RuroKen. But on my RuroKen collection from Viz is up to v22. Borders takes forever to get v23 up. And I got all 3 seasons of RuroKen anime boxseted. X] And how I got into RK, I can't remember. It's a long time ago. I think I saw an ep or so of RuroKen fansubbed. And then, I did a couple research into the storyline and such and then, I just got so into it that I don't remember what I did after that... ^^;

2. Favorite character?
~*Himura Kenshin of course. And Hajime Saito :)

~*Kyoto Arc. It's filled with action pack battles and struggles. And seeing flashback of the Shinsengumi and Kenshin's past is the best.

~*The battle between Kenshin and Saito. ^o^ Coolest battle of all.

~*Love it still. The storyline is superb. OVA & ANIME & MANGA = AWESOME!!

~*Well, the manga is more precise and it is the original story on how the author intended how to tell the story. But the anime is good to watch too. It's like watching the picture comes to life with motions and stuff like that. And the battle couldn't be more intense. And to which is better, I really don't know. Depend of the person's preference. For me I like both. Whenever I feel like I want to heard sounds I watch the anime. If I want peace and quite and follow the org storyline I read the manga. They add a few things in the anime that aren't in the manga so don't go looking for them in the manga. And yeah, they do have fillers and such. All anime does, I think. But still it's good to watch and have both for your collections. X)

venicia777
February 06, 2006, 07:34 PM
are we supposed to answer every question above. hmm!!

Rurouni Kenshin is more the best- it is a classic. the best samurai based anime ever- i think most people will agree. i have watched all the anime episodes (up to eps 96), movies, and OVAs from Tsukiyomi to Seisshouhen. what is left is I have to finish the manga.

ShgnLW
February 06, 2006, 08:19 PM
Hahahah, yeah, that fight you mentioned sure is a good one. I just recently got the missing manga chapters (and thnx to GoldKnight I have them now ;) Rep's for u :D). To watch the fight in the anime is definitely the best one I ever saw in any anime/movie. But the read, though I thought the fight was a bit underrated (read the fight today).

Kyoto arc (last arc of kenshin, not animated for the people who are new to this) is definitely the BEST ARC OF KENSHIN. That's why you all: go and grab manga volumes 18-28. PM me or e-mail me and I'll put them up my forum. Maybe MANGAHELPERS wants to host them, but if not I'll gladly put up some links to a place where you can download them :p Just e-mail or PM me. If nobody does, I'll not do it ;)

BTW> Goldknight, that ftp adress is secured now I think. Could just download the chapters I need (I'm very thankfull for that) however I wanted to d/l more kenshin (not all my Kenshin manga is of high quality) but it didn't work... oh well :D

Gold Knight
February 06, 2006, 09:53 PM
Hmm, yeah, the ftp address was where I was able to get the entire Vol. 1-28 package, but it looks as though the folder doesn't exist anymore.

Well, you can still also download them at irc on #lurk in the Neverwhere packlists. Thanks for helping out ShgnLW.

And yeah, venicia777, you gotta answer the questions ;) ...ok, nah, you don't have to, it's just there to start some conversation.

As for myself...

Finished the manga. I got into it through the preview in Shonen Jump 2 years ago. It hooked me almost immediately.

2. Favorite character?
my favorite characters are Saito Hajime and Kenshin as well, kinda surprised so many people here agree with me. ;)

3. Favorite point in the story?
The fight between Kenshin and Shishio. Most dramatic battle I've read about in all of manga.

4. Favorite battle?
Kenshin and Shishio.

I think I've already made it pretty clear I love RK in starting this thread ;) It's the first manga I've ever read from beginning to end and I've loved every part of it.

Only read the manga so far.

icecoldsoul18
February 06, 2006, 11:24 PM
i installed mIRC and typed in #lurk but yeah i'm just confused on what I need to do to download the manga. i used to have it but my computer's hard drive erased itself so now i need to get it again. could anyone possibly tell me what to do on this mIRC thing to get the manga?

Gold Knight
February 07, 2006, 12:35 AM
ice, type irc://irc.irchighway.net/udanraws in your Firefox. It should take you to that channel in mirc. Open a new connection.

You're gonna have to register so type /msg nickserv register *password* *e-mail* - you'll have to enter a true e-mail so you can get the confirmation e-mail. Remember this password. Once you get your confirmation e-mail, you can now /j lurk

You should be taken to the #lurk channel. Once there you will immediately see at the top of the chat a 04: Packlist: http://gotlurk.net/ - click on that, or either open it in Firefox, you'll be taken to the lurk website and you can then go to the correct packlist, find out the number of the volumes/chapters you want, enter that in mirc ( example: /msg Mirrors xdcc send #*number* ). It should then start downloading the volumes for you.

icecoldsoul18
February 07, 2006, 01:22 AM
ok for some reason it said #udanraws unable to join channel (address is banned) after i hit open a new connection

and when i type in /msg nickserv register *password* *e-mail* and change the password and email a message comes up -NickServ- Guest51357 may not be registered.

Meijin no Kori
February 07, 2006, 02:32 AM
and when i type in /msg nickserv register *password* *e-mail* and change the password and email a message comes up -NickServ- Guest51357 may not be registered.

Guest usernames (usernames that contain the word "Guest") cannot be registered.
First type, /nick *newnic* to change your screename (inserting the screenname you want where *newnic* is). Then, do the nick registration stuff. However, be careful. Some nicks may already be registered. And if your's is registered, then try again until you find one that's not.

icecoldsoul18
February 07, 2006, 05:13 AM
thanks a ton gk and meijin, i can finally reclaim my lost kenshin archive :-D

Tentaku
February 07, 2006, 06:22 AM
I absolutely love Rurouni Kenshin! I finished reading and watching it years ago, but I go back and read/watch it over and over again. It's one of those animes that never gets old for me, no matter how manny times I see it!

I have the entire anime and OVA, as well as all the entire Japanese manga, and up to 22 of the Viz translation. I bought the first DVD on a whim when it first came out, and I got the subsequent onesimmediately after their releases.

2. Favorite character?
I love Soujiro. He's been my favorite since the first time they showed him, not to mention I love his battlestyle.

Picking my favorite part of Kenshin is tough, but I'd say the Kyoto arc in general, because it had to most interesting characters.

4. Favorite battle?
Of course it'd be the battle between Kenshin and Soujiro (the second time) for me!

Kenshin is my favorite anime, the only one that I hold over Naruto!

The manga is definitely better because it doesn't have the filler stuff the anime sometimes threw in, like the horrible third season in general. However, I prefer the anime of the Kyoto arc because it was done so loyally to the manga, and drawn beautifully.

ShgnLW
February 07, 2006, 05:44 PM
I uploaded it to rapidshare. Here is the link for volumes 1,2,3 and 4, all in one .rar file.

http://rapidshare.de/files/12758368/Kenshin_Vol_1-4.rar.html

Have fun :D I'll post the rest ASAP

For the volumes 5-7 ;) Both links are also posted on my forum.

Merged the posts. :amuse - MnK

venicia777
February 08, 2006, 05:34 PM
can you kindly upload volumes 17-28- pretty please!!!

i have all the others though. Now with your description of how awesome these volumes were i am more than interested to get them.

Orochimaru-chan
February 09, 2006, 12:24 PM
I love RK!

I finished the manga when I was in highschool. It was the anime that got me into it.
2. Favorite character?
Soujiro Seta
Kyoto Arc and the Jinchuu Arc. I liked most especially the part about Kenshins past life, the flashback about him being a hitokiri.
4. Favorite battle?
Soujiro vs. Kenshin and Shishio vs. Kenshin..I love them both because the results could have gone either way IMO, especially in the Soujiro match.
Loved it, the very manga responsible for my starting to become fascinated with Japanese culture.
Manga, the anime was horrendous. Fillers and the Shogo Amakusa arc onwards sucked.

ShgnLW
February 09, 2006, 12:59 PM
http://rapidshare.de/files/12874010/Kenshin_vol_8-9.rar.html

Volume 8-9.

EDIT:

http://rapidshare.de/files/12874462/Kenshin_vol_10-12.rar.html UPLOADED 10-12!!!

VOLUME 17-20:
http://rapidshare.de/files/12877042/Kenshin_Vol_17-20.rar.html

VOLUME 21-25:
http://rapidshare.de/files/12876681/Kenshin_Vol_21-25.rar.html

VOLUME 26-28:
http://rapidshare.de/files/12877967/Kenshin_vol_26-28.rar.html

NOTE: If the downloads don't work, or stop in the middle of the process PM me.

Gold Knight
February 09, 2006, 10:22 PM
That was generous of you ShgnLW. Thanks ^^

I suppose I'll add these to the first post.

EDIT: And done. In case anybody doesn't know how to open rar files, you have to download winrar.

Tentaku
February 10, 2006, 06:48 AM
Manga, the anime was horrendous. Fillers and the Shogo Amakusa arc onwards sucked.

I was hoping I'd never have to hear the name Shogo Amakusa for the rest of my life... :scry That had to be one of the worst fillers I've ever seen!

Gold Knight
February 11, 2006, 04:59 AM
LoL. What episodes were these, so that I know what to avoid?

Meijin no Kori
February 11, 2006, 05:15 AM
LoL. What episodes were these, so that I know what to avoid?

Once you get to the Kenshin vs. Shishio fight, it's pretty much filler onwards in the anime.

Gold Knight
February 11, 2006, 06:17 AM
Wait a minute, does RK anime cover volumes 18-28?

Meijin no Kori
February 11, 2006, 06:22 AM
Wait a minute, does RK anime cover volumes 18-28?

I don't think so. The anime and manga went seperate ways sometime during the Kenshin vs. Shishio fight (because the anime caught up to the manga and couldn't really do any fillers.)

Gold Knight
February 11, 2006, 06:30 AM
That's too bad, no wonder the fillers are disliked. Ah, well.

ShgnLW
February 12, 2006, 01:03 PM
That's why I stopped watching Kenshin. I didn't want to watch the fillers, just wanted the Jinchuu arc... to bad they didn't animated the Jinchuu arc... Damn, if they wouldn't be so stupid Kenshin could've been one of the best animated series ever...

That's why I;m so terrified that the same would happen to Naruto, I mean... gosh I want the new manga chapters seeing animated...

Gold Knight
February 12, 2006, 07:10 PM
Well, lucky for Naruto anime fans they plan on going to Kakashi Gaiden and Part 2 in 10 weeks from now.

I'm more worried about the Bleach anime than I am Naruto anime. Bleach's popularity is kind of on a decline lately in Japan, whereas Naruto's is as strong as ever. And the story in Bleach anime moves so rapidly that they need about 50 filler episodes before I think they could be comfortable enough to resume the manga chapters...

That really is too bad about Rurouni Kenshin anime series not showing the Jinchuu arc, though. Oh well, at least we always have the manga to fall back on.

venicia777
February 12, 2006, 07:33 PM
THANKS so much for the uploaded files ShgnLW. that is soo fine.

one thing about naruto is that everybody knows it will continue- unlike Kenshin. part of the reason you should understand is that in these times japanese anime has caught on soo much that it is almost part and parcel of normal life. and the fan base keeps increasing. Naruto continues but i wouda loved kenshin to have been continued in OVA format. Ahh!!! well. 

i am pretty sure narutos popularity will be like DBZ- i hope bleach stays afloat though.

glasskatana
February 14, 2006, 02:52 AM
Rurouni kenshin was the first manga series I ever finished reading and the first manga series I will ever have the complete collection of. It is also (unlike Naruto) one of Viz's best translations ever. I see virutally no flaws with it. Except if you look for them there are grammar mistakes but who really cares. Perhaps one of the best series ever. When I figured out that the Jinchuu arc wasn't going to be animated I nearly cried. Immensly powerful plot and great artistic talent. Also one of the best closing pages/lines of a manga EVER. Really not much more to say here. Favorite character is Shinomori Aoshi with dual kodachi. Filler episodes bad. don;t watch the anime theres too much pausing and hair blowing in the wind for minutes on end, but in the manga its BING-BANG-BOOM action and plot and more action and crying and lauging and OMG's and. gotta calm down or i'll never stop talking.

Gold Knight
February 14, 2006, 07:05 PM
Totally agreed with you there glasskatana. Viz really outdid themselves on Rurouni Kenshin. It seems that Viz must employ different translators and Naruto got the worst translator =/

Cool to see a Shinomori Aoshi fan here. One of the best scenes in the entire series was when he used the dual kodachi for the first time.

hatakescarecrow
February 15, 2006, 06:21 AM
Hey kenshin!!!!!!!!!!

Its been a long time since a remembered the anime and manga

If i am not wrong kenshin anime endings and manga ending is different.

Yoshi becomes a powerful samurai and earns Battousai's reverse blade katana in the manga ending.

GEEZ! That definitely needed spoiler tags, hatakescarecrow =P

Please be more careful ;) - Gold Knight

Gold Knight
February 15, 2006, 06:49 AM
^

Don't read further if you haven't finished either the manga or anime.

Yeah, and the anime had a very sad ending I heard, whereas the manga had a happier ending. Though I haven't seen the ending of the anime yet so I wouldn't know.

And it's Yahiko, not Yoshi... or were you just making a joke?

And hatakescarecrow, careful of posting about major spoilers like that out of the blue XD Use spoiler tags.

KaiserRyuujin
February 15, 2006, 06:55 AM
I went on a massive reading binge of this manga. Finishing it in a few days @_@ I liked it, but I didnt like Kenshin, prefered him as the Battosai. But liked those tweaker moments. I havent seen the movies made, and watched some of the anime but didnt watch it fully. Great manga though.

ShgnLW
February 15, 2006, 05:06 PM
I think he made a joke about it, but whatever Yahiko is -in comparison with Kenshin still very weak. There is also a special chapter where Yahiko uses the Sakabatou in a fight ;) well, fight... one battoujutsu :D

Kenshin himself is not a very coll figure, however his mind and his personality are quiet complex and interesting. Shinomori Aoshi, though was in the beginning my favorite character, until somebody called Saitoh Hajime came up... :p

but how exactly do you write "Saitoh"? I always write it like that but translators keep writing his name different. One time it is Saitoh, then it is Saitou, Saitoo, etc. :)

hatakescarecrow
February 16, 2006, 08:15 AM
The name's saitoh and i admit reading rk manga in my room instead of studying for exams.Funny thing is i got 1st in class :p

Gold Knight
February 16, 2006, 10:09 AM
http://www.mangatraders.com/filebrowser/Rurouni%20Kenshin

Another direct download site where you can get ALL the volumes. Direct. Thanks to Zenith for finding it.

venicia777
February 18, 2006, 11:18 AM
ShgnLW getting your downloads has set me up on a reading binge of volumes 18-28. but unfortunately there was no volume 22 in your vol21-25 file. can you check it out again.

Gold Knight
February 18, 2006, 11:38 AM
^ Just click on my link above your post, vernica777.

venicia777
February 18, 2006, 11:44 AM
OH thanks- but it is the same link i have been trying to download from and it has  kept breaking off midway through the download: and soo slow- but i dont mind that. well, thanks anyways.

Gold Knight
February 18, 2006, 01:43 PM
Really? Hmm... well, maybe you could try mIRC. Check out my mIRC instructions over in Comments/Complaints.

You may need Internet Download Manager as well, or something to that sort. It's helpful for resuming capability.

venicia777
February 18, 2006, 07:21 PM
okay- mirc i know how to use quite well -- but the computer i am using now is not mine so i cant install Mirc on it. damn!!! i guess it is DC++ for me and i hope the hub i am visiting has somebody with vol 22. oh well, i f i dont i will just jump to vol 23.

ShgnLW
February 21, 2006, 06:32 PM
www.thespectrum.net also rotates manga chapters 18-28 on their site ;)

Çurrently I'm d/l two movies, namely brokeback mountain and pink Panther but when finished I'll try to put up vol_22.

EDIT: I just checked my kenshin folder and noticed that I don't have kenshin vol_22 :( srry man

kadoman
February 28, 2006, 07:13 PM
Kenshin is absolutey, without a doubt, the best manga I have read (I don't include Blade of the Immortal because that particular manga is in a class of its own).

I love the story, the characters, the writing, the historical references, the action and the comedy. Most of all, I love the themes it explores: be true to yourself; in order to value the lives of others, you must first value yourself and in order to atone, it is better to redeem than punish yourself.

I also love the character study of Kenshin and the things he learns along his journey.

I've seen the anime and read the manga (nearly finished collecting!) and have reached that point in the manga now where I cannot bear to read because it's so heart wrenching! Hate that, and love it at the same time!

Brilliant Watsuki!

Gold Knight
March 05, 2006, 07:18 AM
Kenshin is absolutey, without a doubt, the best manga I have read (I don't include Blade of the Immortal because that particular manga is in a class of its own).

That's funny that you should say that kadoman because I just read some Blade of the Immortal and I absolutely agree with you - it's in a class all of its own.

It's the first manga since Naruto, Bleach, and Rurouni Kenshin I've truly enjoyed, and couldn't wait until the next chapter, all that jazz.

Going to make a Blade of the Immortal thread before I rant too much here.

Oni No Kami
March 06, 2006, 02:58 PM
^

Don't read further if you haven't finished either the manga or anime.

Yeah, and the anime had a very sad ending I heard, whereas the manga had a happier ending.  Though I haven't seen the ending of the anime yet so I wouldn't know.

And it's Yahiko, not Yoshi... or were you just making a joke?

And hatakescarecrow, careful of posting about major spoilers like that out of the blue XD  Use spoiler tags.

The ending you must referring to must be the seisouhen ova. 

The ova ends with Kaoru and Kenshin dying of the plague.  It mostly flashbacks of what has happened after the anime ended.  It also showed a few animated scenes of the Jinchuu arc. Kenshin went to China and got the plague.  Kaoru made love with him regardless.  In the end Kenshin lost the scar and Kaoru called her Shinta before they died together.  There was also a part their showing the anger of Kenshin's son because he was always leaving.  There was also an awesome fight sequence between Kenshin's son and Yahiko.

kadoman
March 06, 2006, 05:59 PM
Just so people are aware, the ending to the OVA (Reflections) is not the same as the ending in the manga.  It is something of a hotly debated topic.  Hardcore Kenshin fans are dismissive of the OVA because it has very little in common with the manga, was at times, inaccurate with some of its characterisation and had no input by Watsuki himself (who was a staunch advocate of a happy ending for his characters).  More casual fans can appreciate its different approach however.

As for the TV series, the last season was not at all based on the manga in any way, shape or form.  They basically, did not animate the last story arc of the manga, so again, many hardcore (heck, even casual fans) do not like the latter part of the TV series which was made up entirely of (very bad) filler.

EDIT: I forgot to say, yeah, definitely start a Blade of the Immortal thread! That would be cool!

Gold Knight
March 07, 2006, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the info, kadoman! That helps.

And actually I've already done so: Blade of the Immortal Discussion Thread. (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/index.php?topic=1753.0)

HK-47
April 19, 2006, 09:50 AM
i originally got into RK after watching a few episodes of the anime. it was great at first, then the filler episodes came, and they were just plain awful. no wonder they pulled it from TV. i just hope that the animators naruto and bleach don't make the same mistake (i've stopped watching naruto, because i just can't take the fillers anymore).

i just finished reading all of the RK manga yesterday, and i have to say, it's the best i've read so far (although i REALLY need to read more manga). it's a shame that the jinchuu/revenge arc was not animated, because it was incredible, but i agree with most of the people here in that the kyoto arc is still a *little* better. what's really unique about this manga is that it's managed to give us epic battles without having to resort to the "power up syndrome" that seems to plague most others. and rather showing a plain battle between good and evil, it shows a battle between people defending their beliefs, so that you can't help but respect (or even sympathize wth) all the characters, whether they are heroes or villains.

CheckMate
April 19, 2006, 10:08 AM

Finished the manga, but watched the anime first

2. Favorite character?

The one and only, Himura Kenshin

the moment hiten-mitsurugi ryu became a human slayer

4. Favorite battle?

all kenshin's battle are amazing

The best manga I have ever read..before Naruto showed up.

Like always, manga is much better.. anime has too many side stories

But really i must admit, this is a really very good manga, especially the kyoto-tragedy..

dEr HüHnChEnBeScHwÖrEr
April 30, 2006, 01:45 PM
Think so, too. :grin

ShgnLW
April 30, 2006, 01:57 PM
Whew, ressurection of an old thread...

question:

Why does Kenji not like his father Kenshin?

kadoman
May 01, 2006, 05:00 AM
Ah...yes.  Those types of questions are notoriously difficult to answer because they are not from canon.  That particular OVA was not based on anything written by Watsuki (who also, did not approve of its ending).  Ultimately, it amounts to little more than filler or fanfiction.

But anyway...Kenji does not like his father because he feels let down and abandoned as a result of his father spending a lot of time away from home, going off to fight various causes.  In particular, Kenji feels that his father has let down his mother and left her all alone this situation has been the source of hot debate among Kenshin fans for years - it's blatantly out of character - Kenshin would never abandon his loved ones to fight a cause, precisely because the moral of Watsuki's manga is that people come before causes.

glasskatana
May 01, 2006, 09:36 AM
Ah...yes. Those types of questions are notoriously difficult to answer because they are not from canon. That particular OVA was not based on anything written by Watsuki (who also, did not approve of its ending). Ultimately, it amounts to little more than filler or fanfiction.

But anyway...Kenji does not like his father because he feels let down and abandoned as a result of his father spending a lot of time away from home, going off to fight various causes. In particular, Kenji feels that his father has let down his mother and left her all alone this situation has been the source of hot debate among Kenshin fans for years - it's blatantly out of character - Kenshin would never abandon his loved ones to fight a cause, precisely because the moral of Watsuki's manga is that people come before causes.

exactly, especially the spoiler-tagged part. Plus there's no way Kenshin would be able to leave home to fight because Kenshin is practically incapable of fighting by the end of the manga. Doing ama kakeru ryu no hirameki is hard on the body if you don't have the proper muscle to back you up. so there.

ShgnLW
May 01, 2006, 09:52 AM
Yeah, okay, I know that, but what you say is what he felt in the OVA, I don't know if this is also applicable to the manga.

My guess is that Kenji does not like his father because his father isn't a swordsman anymore (refering ONLY to the manga), because Kenji has grown up in the middle of swordsmen (and women) like his mother and yahiko, only, he never saw his own father fight (only that one time with yahiko). That is my theory.

The theory about that he felt abandoned and things like that was clearly mentioned in the OVA.

But indeed, good points.

Added a spoiler tag for certain parts.....in case someone has not see the anime that far etc. ~ TL

kadoman
May 01, 2006, 12:21 PM
Oh, okay.  No, it's not applicable to the manga.  Watsuki  leaves it up to the fans to decide how he grows up and how he turns out. 

I personally ignore that last OVA.  I think it was badly made, the characters badly misrepresented and the ending not in keeping with the mangaka's wishes.

P.S - maybe GK can help out here, but I would've thought with Kenshin being as old as it is, there wasn't a real need for spoiler tags anymore?

ShgnLW
May 01, 2006, 12:42 PM
heh, yeah the last OVA was a little bit... off... however I think that the last one was the best OVA, maybe because I like drama more than just pure violence... however, I DO think that the makers of the last OVA's could have done more about the end...

But it really was the right end of the serie, in my oppinion, only the last OVA was a bit TOO much drama for my part. Okay, Kenshin dies that was the right end (a true heroes end) but still Kenshin fleeing to China for the war and the fact that he was not home all the time really sucked... damn he had to stay home and take care of his family, protecting them there instead of fleeing to china...

kadoman
May 01, 2006, 12:56 PM
I like drama too and if I'd seen that OVA knowing absolutely nothing about Kenshin the series, I'd have thought it was great. But as a tribute to the series...man...they failed. Even Watsuki didn't like it! Ha!

I was unhappy about Kenshin dying (in a sea of things to be unhappy about, that was just one!). Just my personal opinion. I would have liked a happy little ending for him. But there ya go...

ILUVATAR
June 30, 2006, 02:20 PM
1 - I have finished the manga. i was always addicted to anything that had anything to do with katana's and especially "weird" ones (Sakabato - reverse edged katana). i just happened to find a picture of the fight between Kenshin and Saito. it was a screenshot from the anime when Kenshin hits Saito in the back of his neck - i wondered "wth? why his head didn't fell off right there???" so i searched it and I FOUND IT :amuse
2 - My favorite Character is Yahiko :p tee-hee. he is the kinda COOL guy at the end of the manga + he gets Keshin's sakabato + he surpased Kaoru-dono's skills and techniks (i cannot remember how to write it correctly DAMN :mad)
3 - Kenshin's Black Out right after Kaoru-dono's "death" from Enishi (i believed it too :crying :wtf :scry) when they found him in that condition with the chains around his sword
4 - Kenshin's Battle with his master Hiko (the guy just OWND :smile-big) to take the succesion techniks...
5 - Best complete manga series. it was a beautifull work of art to the very end of it
6 - i cannot be objective on this matter. each side had his advantages and his disadvantages. allthough i choose the manga as better i must say that the anime was somehow equal (if we exclude the fillers :P) movement sometimes and in certain moments can exceed imagination. there were some moments in the manga that i would "KILL" to see them in motion :amuse (battles etc.)

kadoman
July 02, 2006, 03:48 PM
Anyone else recently purchased their copy of vol 28 - final installment in the series?

I can't bring myself to read it yet! Ha! I've read it before of course, long ago, but reading it online and holding it in your little hands are different and I feel a bit choked up about the story 'ending' all over again for me! I think Kenshin is one of the greatest manga stories ever told. This last arc in particular is absolutely heartbreaking! Bittersweet it is. Ah well. My first manga series in full!

glasskatana
July 03, 2006, 03:15 PM
Anyone else recently purchased their copy of vol 28 - final installment in the series?

I can't bring myself to read it yet! Ha! I've read it before of course, long ago, but reading it online and holding it in your little hands are different and I feel a bit choked up about the story 'ending' all over again for me! I think Kenshin is one of the greatest manga stories ever told. This last arc in particular is absolutely heartbreaking! Bittersweet it is. Ah well. My first manga series in full!

That reminds me, I have to go to Barnes and Noble to buy it. Thanks for posting that Kadoman. ::sigh:: that will be the end of quite possibly, one of the best manga series of all time.

Gold Knight
July 03, 2006, 06:07 PM
Yep, also my first full manga series. Hehee. But haven't gotten 28 yet. Shall do that ASAP!

Still, I have to admit it's nice to see a conclusion to a manga every now and then, some manga series really do go on for way too long.

ruby_06
July 03, 2006, 06:24 PM
RK is the best anime/manga ever made in my opinion.I have read it and watched it and until now i get excited when i see it, I recommend everyone to read the manga or watch the anime

glasskatana
July 05, 2006, 12:24 AM
Yep, also my first full manga series. Hehee. But haven't gotten 28 yet. Shall do that ASAP!

Still, I have to admit it's nice to see a conclusion to a manga every now and then, some manga series really do go on for way too long.

Agreed (::cough Naruto::, and perhaps many years ago when I still liked this manga ::cough:: Inuyasha)
But the problem remains that is incredibly difficult to make an adequate ending to a series. I think some of the greatest endings are
1.) Rurouni Kenshin (manga)... When I read that last page... words cannot explain my amazement.
2.) Cowboy Bebop (anime) when I saw this ending I was filled with sorrow. A nice way to tie things up but very sad.
3.) Trigun (anime) another ending that I felt was good. All characters should one day come to peace.

ttxdragon
July 07, 2006, 08:17 AM
rurouni kenshin,
i guess technically you won't find a better history-based shounen manga...

i finished the series a long time ago and i like it... i still reread the series now and then, when i find some spare-time between other manga/anime and the real life things i have to do...

to get back to the first posts questionaire:
finished. (incl. the kidnapping arc, with yahiko as the 'hero') I just bought the first volume in a local manga-store because i thought the cover looked very beautiful.

2. Favorite character?
kenshin in the flashback (when he is with tomoe, so the beginning of the enishi-arc)
the mentioned flashback. great plot great art.
4. Favorite battle?
Kenshin against the four in named flashback
great, definitely the best manga out there. the only manga i read more often and like better is mahoraba, but that one is completely diffrent, so no comparisons...
I watched the anime, and found it except the kyoto-arc-animation, horrible. i never saw just that bad of a manga-adaption.
The manga is simply better in all ways, at least for the tv-anime.
The only OVA i watched is 'Meiji Kenkaku Romantan - Tsuiokuhen' and it was better done than the manga for what it covered. it was more natural in the way of fighting, but did not leave anything important away, wasn't really rushed... just overall perfect.

what i espacially liked about the manga were what watsuki told about the characters, how he thought about them, from where he took designs, what he thought he did wrong... plus his extra-pages where he described his own live a bit, what gave one a good insight on how hard, but how much fun one can have with the job of a mangaka.

something to say to what i mentioned in the first answer: that was an extra publication, which didn't come with the tanks in japans normal edition. it was only released with the weekly magazines and was scaned and added in the german and french publication (dunno about other though).

glasskatana
July 09, 2006, 08:47 PM
rurouni kenshin,
i guess technically you won't find a better history-based shounen manga...

i finished the series a long time ago and i like it... i still reread the series now and then, when i find some spare-time between other manga/anime and the real life things i have to do...

to get back to the first posts questionaire:
finished. (incl. the kidnapping arc, with yahiko as the 'hero') I just bought the first volume in a local manga-store because i thought the cover looked very beautiful.

2. Favorite character?
kenshin in the flashback (when he is with tomoe, so the beginning of the enishi-arc)
the mentioned flashback. great plot great art.
4. Favorite battle?
Kenshin against the four in named flashback
great, definitely the best manga out there. the only manga i read more often and like better is mahoraba, but that one is completely diffrent, so no comparisons...
I watched the anime, and found it except the kyoto-arc-animation, horrible. i never saw just that bad of a manga-adaption.
The manga is simply better in all ways, at least for the tv-anime.
The only OVA i watched is 'Meiji Kenkaku Romantan - Tsuiokuhen' and it was better done than the manga for what it covered. it was more natural in the way of fighting, but did not leave anything important away, wasn't really rushed... just overall perfect.

what i espacially liked about the manga were what watsuki told about the characters, how he thought about them, from where he took designs, what he thought he did wrong... plus his extra-pages where he described his own live a bit, what gave one a good insight on how hard, but how much fun one can have with the job of a mangaka.

something to say to what i mentioned in the first answer: that was an extra publication, which didn't come with the tanks in japans normal edition. it was only released with the weekly magazines and was scaned and added in the german and french publication (dunno about other though).

Great description. you deserve a :thumbs. I also loved the flashback arc But I think my favorite battle is probably Kenshin vs. Aoshi or Kenshin vs. Enishi Though the flashback battles are cool because we actually see death... I mean seriously even with a sakabato Kenshin's attacks should easily bludgeon someone to death :p [br]Posted on: July 07, 2006, 10:54:34 AM_________________________________________________Uh-Oh. Looks like most of the links in the first post have died. Anyway, for those of you who are willing to wait and don't feel like downloading the manga (or buying it) I found this site where you can read it all. http://manga.yurikamome.info/Rurouni%20Kenshin/23/152.html

sabyr
July 29, 2006, 01:21 AM
]Uh-Oh. Looks like most of the links in the first post have died. Anyway, for those of you who are willing to wait and don't feel like downloading the manga (or buying it) I found this site where you can read it all. http://manga.yurikamome.info/Rurouni%20Kenshin/23/152.html

it's not working... :(

glasskatana
July 29, 2006, 01:40 AM
try this link then. www.boxtorrents.com

You'll have to register but it's worth it. This site has a lot of anime/manga downloads via torrent.

sabyr
July 29, 2006, 03:26 PM
try this link then. www.boxtorrents.com

You'll have to register but it's worth it. This site has a lot of anime/manga downloads via torrent.

cool, thx dude. ^^

panzerzanaku
August 20, 2006, 05:32 AM
I was wandering if anyone could tell me where exactly in the manga did the Jinchu arc start from.(volume, chapter)

thanx in advance

ShgnLW
August 20, 2006, 09:08 AM
If I am correct it starts with volume 18 ;)

Good luck reading it ;) if you miss a volume/chapter, feel free to PM (I've got nearly all volumes).

rustanddust
August 26, 2006, 08:48 AM
hoooooly crap I love this manga :D its the....only manga I have the complete volume series of actually(in korean tho) one the first series that got me into the animanga thing.

kenshin is also one of the most ripped off series ever in shounen, I think. :o...XD other than trigun or DBZ or whatever if I'm right?

I finished the series. I found out about it online actually, when I was first getting into the whole anime/manga fandom, looking for cardcaptor sakura stuff(my very very first anime) I got interested in it and asked my dad to get it on his trip to korea. I read the whole thing in like.....a week

2. Favorite character?

kenshin of course :p the yukishiro siblings come close second

the whole tomoe flashback part.

4. Favorite battle?

the very last one with enishi.....like everyone else in this thread :D

its awesome, no wonder so many others rip off it.

I've seen a couple eps of the anime, and didnt like it. manga is definitely better.

ttxdragon
August 26, 2006, 09:29 AM
Great description. you deserve a :thumbs. I also loved the flashback arc But I think my favorite battle is probably Kenshin vs. Aoshi or Kenshin vs. Enishi Though the flashback battles are cool because we actually see death... I mean seriously even with a sakabato Kenshin's attacks should easily bludgeon someone to death :p

those battles are definitely nice, and better action-wise...
but the battle in the flashback for tomoe is the best emotional and character + fighting wise... it doesn't have that much of 'powerattacks' and stuff.... it's just a great battle to show that kenshin is a human being and not a simple slaughtering-machine

sabyr
August 26, 2006, 02:09 PM
go here! http://www.mangacult.com

a whole buttload of stuff to download, including kenshin! Best place to go!

ariadne
October 10, 2006, 10:32 PM
those battles are definitely nice, and better action-wise...
but the battle in the flashback for tomoe is the best emotional and character + fighting wise... it doesn't have that much of 'powerattacks' and stuff.... it's just a great battle to show that kenshin is a human being and not a simple slaughtering-machine

yep. i agree with you. generally, i prefer the battles in the past. somehow it seems more exciting. kenshin is my first complete manga. how i saved to buy those volumes but it worth every cent.

read them all. reread it whenever i came home from college for my holidays. i watched the anime first, which was being aired on the local tv. got totally hooked and then started to hunt for the manga.

2. Favorite character?

seta soujiro. he's like kenshin in a sense only with the wrong teacher.

kenshin's past flashback.

4. Favorite battle?

the battle with soujiro seta.

good storyline, nice artwork, great battlescene. this manga is a gem.

manga is far superior. i kinda lost interest after the shishio arc in the anime.

Gold Knight
October 11, 2006, 09:25 PM
Just updated the first post since all the links were dead. If anybody is looking for any chapters or volumes, just post in here.

Meanwhile, here's a cool gif, enjoy.

http://animegifs.free.fr/anime/kenshin/page4/kenshin05.gif

sabyr
October 11, 2006, 10:09 PM
i'll upload all the chapters tommorrow if i get the chance. it'll be in packs of 5 volumes each.

pocketmofo
October 20, 2006, 03:55 PM
It's been a while since I read Rurouni Kenshin, but it is still one of my favorites to read.

I finished reading the series around 4 years ago.

2. Favorite character?

It's tough to choose, but Saitou was usually my favorite (the typical badass character).

the Kyouto Arc

Either

the fight between Yahiko and Cannon-armed Kujiranami

or

the fight between Kenshin and Chou when Kenshin gets his new sword

I really enjoyed the manga. I bought and read all of it so I think that's saying something (thought I can't really complain since they were all 100 yen a volume).

I definitely prefer the manga to the anime.

Asmodeus
October 31, 2006, 11:38 AM
I absolutely love this series. This is the series that got me into really doing the whole anime and manga thing. So, here's my list:

I've finished it, seen all of the canon anime and own the entire manga. I got into when Cartoon Network aired it on Toonami back in the day (I think I was like a Freshmen or Sophomore in High School then...).

2. Favorite character?
Oh, definately Saito Hajime. No questions asked there.

The entire Kyoto arc I thought was absolutely a masterpiece, but the Jinchuu arc was a much more emotional section, so I'd say either one of them

4. Favorite battle?
Kenshin and Saito. Actually, as much as I loved it, I liked it animated better. Probably my favorite fight in an anime, period. The part where Saito tried to get Kenshin with his jacket literally made my mouth hang open.

I loved the story, I actually own all 28 volumes of the Viz manga. Lol, actually, I WAITED for them so I could read it somewhat serialized, and in physical form. I'm glad I did, made me anticipate it more. The art is beautiful...but I thought Watsuki tried to simplify it too much in the end, and I think he wound up taking away from it by making the art too cut-and-dried at the end. Still, phenomenal work on his part.

In general the manga is better, but the Kyoto arc animated is masterful, and select fights (Kenshin and Saito, Saito and Usui, and the finale) are superior to their manga counterparts. Fights always fare better in animation as long as they're done proper, and boy these were.

That about sums it up. I loved this series, I wish Busou Renkin had been a bit better, but I'll always consider this Watsuki's magnum opus.

Gold Knight
November 30, 2006, 12:45 PM
Seems like we have some quite diehard RK fans here ^^

It's almost a shame the series is over, we probably would have had a RK section otherwise and it'd have been one of the weekly mangas we looked for here, heh.

pocketmofo
December 01, 2006, 05:06 PM
GK, I would definitely be translating it if it were still going. I'd even be happy to translate it now (despite there being countless official and unofficial translations out there).

Metris
December 20, 2006, 08:28 AM
http://www.mangatraders.com has the entire manga as well... (As well as pretty much everything else of manga...)

BlaZeR
January 05, 2007, 08:07 AM
Can't believe sanos has no fans! He and soujirou were my faves, I loved the arc where Sano met his dad but didnt tell the kids :(.

matsyes
January 08, 2007, 05:03 AM
i have been looking for rurioni kenshin for a long time now thanks a lot for the info and thanks gk for the info on #lurk :whoo :whoo

sushi
January 08, 2007, 07:33 AM
I LOVE u guys a lot

been looking kinda forever

you are my saviour

matsyes
January 11, 2007, 12:18 PM
Hi
I found a new site called http://mangaspot.com/ which has an amazing collection direct download

alekosss_kenpachi
January 25, 2007, 07:11 PM
plz someone tell me which chapters of the manga should i read if i have only seen the anime..i noticed smth about non-animated parts of the manga!

glasskatana
January 25, 2007, 07:14 PM
YES! You should start reading at Volume 18. That's when the anime went into fillers and the manga continued with it's AMAZING plot. :D

LadyHatake
January 30, 2007, 07:08 PM
Can't believe sanos has no fans! He and soujirou were my faves, I loved the arc where Sano met his dad but didnt tell the kids :(.

Sanosuke is my favorite <3 I love the backstory between him and Captain Sagara, but I wish there were more.

alekosss_kenpachi
February 01, 2007, 12:24 PM
YES! You should start reading at Volume 18. That's when the anime went into fillers and the manga continued with it's AMAZING plot. :D
thank u very much!!

no problem. :amuse ~ Glasskatana

OP_overlord
February 05, 2007, 12:06 AM
sorry to ask does any one know where to get the manga series for free opnline without having to download it

jackwallis
February 13, 2007, 08:14 AM
sorry to ask does any one know where to get the manga series for free opnline without having to download it

you mean like an online viewer? i havent found any... but it is quite a long time since the manga finished.
the only part of kenshin that can be viewed online is a little bonus story about yahiko, and thats a tad hard to find at the best of times. a good little story though :d

baboysai
February 13, 2007, 11:09 AM

I think Spectrum hosts it.

OP_overlord
February 13, 2007, 09:49 PM
thank you for the answers but i found an ok site that i think has all of it but what chapter does it end on

Epul
February 13, 2007, 11:31 PM
you mean like an online viewer? i havent found any... but it is quite a long time since the manga finished.
the only part of kenshin that can be viewed online is a little bonus story about yahiko, and thats a tad hard to find at the best of times. a good little story though :d

A story on Yahiko? Is it the one at the ending of the manga? If it is not, can you tell me where to find it?

Gio
March 18, 2007, 04:54 PM
Hi~ This is my favourite manga ever, and in my opinion the best shounen manga ever. *-*.

Finished it years ago. And i keep re-reading/watching it time to time (but this year i haven't had that much of a time 'cause of some entrance exams) I just happened to watch the beginning of the first anime episode, while i was waiting to watch DBZ (i was in 5th grade of elementary school back then). And i got clued. After finishing the anime i watched the Ovas and Read the manga.

2. Favorite character?
Kenshin, Saito and Soujiro.

it is hard to decide one, but... "rememberance arc" i guess.

Saito vs Kenshin

Best shonen manga ever, my favorite manga regardless of genres, or whatever, wonderful story and development, incredible characters, and the only manga/Anime/movie/book or whatever that has made me cry When Sanosuke leaves...

The anime is full of filler arcs, and after Sisio arc the series didn't keep the original story line at all. However, the voice actors are great, and the theme songs awesome (1/3 is my favorite song ever '3'). BUt in terms of story, development, etc.. The manga is far away, (in a completely different level i'd say) better than the anime.

hajime22
August 26, 2007, 11:20 PM
I am a Japanese college student that love rurouni kenshin. And now, I would like to know the charm of rurouni kenshin seen from the foreigner. :)

What is the charms of “rurouni kenshin”?
Characters? Story?Comedy?Description?Fight?...

Please tell me the fascination of rurouni kenshin which you consider.:tem

Sorata
August 27, 2007, 05:09 PM
Well i´m probably not the best person to talk about it because i´m a great fan of Japan, so i really like the way they show the Japan from old times in Rurouni Kenshin, the law which forbids people to carry a sword and stuff like that.
Characters - I like all the characters(except Yaiko and Kouru), Kenshin and Sanosukr are ok as main characters and Shishio is a great villain, much better than Enishi, but my favorite ones are Saito Hajime and Shinomori Aoshi, they are really coll specially Saito(my favorite character)
Story - The story is really cool, because it´s a shonen which isn´t only about fighting(like Yu Yu hakusho, Flame of Recca, Naruto, Bleach and MAR Heaven), i really liked all Shishio arc and the time when Kenshin thougt that Kaouru was killed by Enishi.
Comedy - Well the main gang is funny, but i´m not into that kind of comedy(i prefere the kind of comedy we see in Hajime no Ippo and Slum Dunk), but overall is ok.
Fight - The fights are good, it´s more like technique fight with one blow victories, i prefere long punch battles(Dragon Ball, Hajime no Ippo and Samurai Deeper Kyo), the fights of Kenshin are like the later ones from Naruto.
Overall is a great manga, not my favorite but it´s on my top 20 anyway.

DaWenci
December 06, 2007, 01:41 PM
Hey,

I want to read the Manga, but i can't find any downloads :'(

I was already @ mangaspot, mangatraders and mangacult...

At mangaspot the downloads wont work, mangatraders didnt send a verification email - yes, i re-"ordered" it, but there also came nothing

and mangacult is down...

HELP!

Da Wenci

(Sorry if my english isn't very well ^^)

EDIT: I've already found the manga !

Nexxorcist
December 13, 2007, 12:46 AM
Hi, I've recently just finished reading the 28th Volume of Kenshin, and I'm totally in love with the series all over again. I started off as a huge fan of the Anime, and I'm an even bigger fan now, thanks to the manga. :)

Soooooo seeing as how I can't get enough, I'm wondering about YAHIKO NO SAKABATO as well as KENSHIN KADEN. Have they been brought to america yet (i bought the ones translated by Viz) and if not, does anyone know where I can find the two scanlated? I've tried looking on the listed sites, but to no avail...

Can anyone help me? Thanks!

Musashi_Keiji
August 14, 2008, 11:07 PM
http://www.onemanga.com/Rurouni_Kenshin/253/07/

Those he mean to bury them in Misao's field? rofl

check the page after for Aoshi's smirk when misao happily decides to go back.

En Yang Ji
November 26, 2008, 12:59 AM
Who do you think would win out of these 2, if they were to fight? Shishio or Enishi?

patedecarne
December 11, 2008, 07:21 AM
Who do you think would win out of these 2, if they were to fight? Shishio or Enishi?

Hum, interesting thread, how could I miss it?

Well, my vote goes for Enishi, even though I believe Shishio is stronger. The will takes an important place in this fight, and Enishi's will and desire, driven by revenge, surpass Shishio's will, IMO. And we do know how the will is important in the series. Enishi is beyond any madness, that's why I believe he'd win this difficult fight;

trunterzx
December 30, 2008, 05:51 AM
This is one of my favourite manga. I watched the anime first, and am reading through the manga now. I feel that the anime is also very well made, especially the soundtrack. I like all the music that's in the anime.

By the way, does anyone know where I can download volume 25 and 27 RAW? They are missing from the database...

Saint of Swords
February 04, 2009, 06:36 PM
I think this might be fun; who are the top 5 swordsman in your opinion?

heres my list:
1. Hiko Seijuuro
2.Shishio Makoto
3.Himura Kenshin
4.Yukishiiro Einishi
5.Seta Sojiro

After that would be Saito Hajime and tehn Shinomori Aoshi.

Anyone else care to share?

Sorata
February 04, 2009, 07:30 PM
I think this might be fun; who are the top 5 swordsman in your opinion?

heres my list:
1. Hiko Seijuuro
2.Shishio Makoto
3.Himura Kenshin
4.Yukishiiro Einishi
5.Seta Sojiro

After that would be Saito Hajime and tehn Shinomori Aoshi.

Anyone else care to share?

Well my top is like this:
1 - Hiko Seijuurou
2 - Himura Kenshin
3 - Yukishiiro Enishi
4 - Shishio Makoto
5 - Saito Hajime

Sorry to say, but i really doubt that Sojiro could beat Saito in a sword fight.

Saint of Swords
February 05, 2009, 08:21 PM
"Sorry to say, but i really doubt that Sojiro could beat Saito in a sword fight."

Well, I was just thinking that I couldn't see Saito beating Sojiro. I mean, most of Saito's fights are stylized differently then others, but I can't see him winning against that speed. But hey, it's a matter of opinion, and I really appreciate your post :]

Sorata
February 06, 2009, 04:55 PM
"Sorry to say, but i really doubt that Sojiro could beat Saito in a sword fight."

Well, I was just thinking that I couldn't see Saito beating Sojiro. I mean, most of Saito's fights are stylized differently then others, but I can't see him winning against that speed. But hey, it's a matter of opinion, and I really appreciate your post :]

Well it´s true that Sojiro is fast, in fact he´s probably the fastest character in the entire series(Enishi is pretty fast too, but i don´t know if he´s faster than Soujiro), but if speed alone was enough then even Shishio would lost to Soujiro, that´s the smae reasoning i use to say that Saito could beat Soujiro.

Kenshin is pretty fast too and he couldn´t beat Saito when they fought(Kenshin didn´t have the secret technique of the Iten Mitsurugi Ryu), so i think in normal conditions Saito would beat Sojiro.

En Yang Ji
February 06, 2009, 06:26 PM
Well it´s true that Sojiro is fast, in fact he´s probably the fastest character in the entire series(Enishi is pretty fast too, but i don´t know if he´s faster than Soujiro), but if speed alone was enough then even Shishio would lost to Soujiro, that´s the smae reasoning i use to say that Saito could beat Soujiro.

Kenshin is pretty fast too and he couldn´t beat Saito when they fought(Kenshin didn´t have the secret technique of the Iten Mitsurugi Ryu), so i think in normal conditions Saito would beat Sojiro.

There's a difference between Kenshin and Soujirou's speed though. Soujirou can't be seen, when he uses shukuchi. Just with one step prior to shukuchi, Soujirou is able to attack so fast that it appears he is attacking from all directions.

Soujirou could have beat Kenshin if he used Shukuchi from the beginning.

ice_queen
February 09, 2009, 10:22 PM
Such a great manga.
Rurouken is one of my favorite series of all time, and it surely changed the way a lot of shonen fighting manga are written these days(it showed everyone that you can write a fighting story for both boys and girls, and make it with a lot of substance and well-written sub-plots).

The characters are also great(even the villains are likeable and interesting), as are the fights(the whole "Shishio VS everyone-and-their-mothers" was one of the best fights I´ve ever seen in a shonen manga).

Truly a classic.

ice_queen

tonyyao82
November 18, 2010, 02:38 PM
Is anyone here excited about the new PSP game coming out next year?

I decided to take a look back at some of my favorite moments in the series. You can read it at: http://www.mangatherapy.com/post/1600450375/rurouni-kenshin-moments

It's nice to see that Rurouni Kenshin will be promoted to a new generation of anime/manga fans.

saladesu
November 18, 2010, 10:47 PM
I would be excited, but I don't have a PSP :crying

I wonder what sort of game it will be. RPG with storyline? Or something more like Naruto's Ultimate Ninja Storm where you have the option of just picking some characters and battling it out without having any backing storyline? The promo pic says "competition/war samurai drama" but I'm not familiar enough with game terms to really know which one that refers to :oh

Anyway if anyone hasn't seen the news yet, here's (http://community.livejournal.com/aramatheydidnt/1430893.html) the article on the PSP game :tem

tonyyao82
November 18, 2010, 11:55 PM
I would be excited, but I don't have a PSP :crying

I wonder what sort of game it will be. RPG with storyline? Or something more like Naruto's Ultimate Ninja Storm where you have the option of just picking some characters and battling it out without having any backing storyline? The promo pic says "competition/war samurai drama" but I'm not familiar enough with game terms to really know which one that refers to :oh

Anyway if anyone hasn't seen the news yet, here's (http://community.livejournal.com/aramatheydidnt/1430893.html) the article on the PSP game :tem

They said it's going to be a 2D fighting game.

shaheer
November 19, 2010, 01:46 AM
i myself am surprised to tell the truth ...RK was finished quite a while ago...still this thread hs responses...:thumbs guys
ya this was one of the manga that was really what swets the level of greatness in a genre..and become its own comparison... pity we dun have mangas as good as RK at the moment.....
its one of my all time fav

tonyyao82
November 19, 2010, 11:18 AM
@shaheer

Well, I like Gintama. It's somewhat similar to RK in terms of the historical samurai themes. That's one reason why I got into Gintama.

Rurouni Kenshin was one of the first series to get me interested in Japanese culture as a whole. :]

I think the characters were really great and that's why people still talk about it, even to this day.

shaheer
November 19, 2010, 12:34 PM
well i like Gintama..true but the problem is it has no core story... it lacs seriousness...a great Gag manga though....
Rk had a set of good story well built plot and the conbats were very intelligently designed....the last 2 Ovas were at a level of its own..Trust and betrayal especially.... the flash backs packed with the merging of the present...and that melted within the whole RK series ..... the choreography was awesome....

so over all i see barely any manga in this genre that can surmount it....
as for Gintama...its is a manga on its won rights with whole new set of elements in its repertoire.... its a good manga... but i dun find it readable every week... some times when i need to LOL ... or in for good comydy then for sure Gintama is the best..it delivers comedy with great other elements as you mentioned...but mosly i like semi serious stuffs slight comedy slight touch of reality or harship etc..
thats Y Rk is the best(one of the to tell the truth:thumbs)........

tonyyao82
November 19, 2010, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I still consider RK to be one of my top series ever. I love Saitou. Probably one of my favorite characters in anime/manga.

I like how his character is so sarcastic when he's around Kenshin & his buddies.

Oni_James
February 25, 2011, 04:45 AM
I was surprised to see no one had posted this already:
Rurouni Kenshin Meiji Kenkaku Romantan: Saisen (PSP) Official Website (http://www.bandaigames.channel.or.jp/list/psp_rurounikenshin/)
An upcoming brand new Kenshin PSP game that'll be out 10th of March 2011. Good news is we have Otowa, Banjin and Enishi will obviously be there too.

For the moment we have 22 characters which are:
Character page (http://www.bandaigames.channel.or.jp/list/psp_rurounikenshin/character/index.html)

Kenshin
Kaoru
Yahiko
Sano
Saito

Jin'ne
Raijuta
Misao
Aoshi
Shishio

Soujiro
Anji
Cho
Usui
Kamatari

Henya
Gein (as Iwanbo)
Fuji
Hiko Seijuro
Otowa

Banjin
Enishi (EDIT: Now confirmed)

If they add more characters i can only think of:
Gein (as Himself)
Yatsume
Template for the four Shu-shin (which will only be one character)

Update or alternate costume Yahiko (with shirahatori and both kamiya kashin ougis) which would be awesome.
[hr]
Automerge doblepost just to refresh with some new info. Enishi is now confirmed and something about an OVA has appeared in the website's main page.

saladesu
February 26, 2011, 06:19 AM
Wow, didn't realize it was RuroKen's 15th anniversary already :blink

Regarding the OVA thing, do you mean the thing you see at the bottom middle of the page? If so, it's not a new OVA, but they're allowing visitors to watch the two OVAs (Tsuiokuhen and Seishouhen) for free for a limited period :)

... Too bad that doesn't apply to people outside of Japan v.v

tonyyao82
February 26, 2011, 11:09 AM
Would like to see more Jinchuu arc characters. But, I'm fine with the roster they have.

kkck
April 18, 2011, 07:19 PM
It seems the anime is finally getting a continuation. They finally are finishing the anime after such a long time!

saladesu
April 19, 2011, 01:41 AM
:zomg

SERIOUSLY!? Where is this info!? EDIT: found the article (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-04-18/new-rurouni-kenshin-anime-green-lit) for those interested.

Zomgggggg I can't wait! Jinchuu arc was arguably one of the best in RK and even if the best of it was already animated (Tsuiokuhen).... Wow!!! *kinda incoherent now*

This is going to be so awesome. They might as well just do the whole series over like BONES did for FMA with Brotherhood! Take out all the Christian arc fillers and all that...

tonyyao82
April 21, 2011, 08:49 PM
Finally, the RK anime might get the ending it rightfully deserves.

I took a look at Saitou Hajime and his epicness to celebrate its return.
http://www.mangatherapy.com/post/4810051700/saito-hajime-retrospect

Does anyone think the series will be a reboot, a la FMA Brotherhood, to attract new fans?

Newkerzy
April 22, 2011, 01:56 AM
I think it will be likely ala Brotherhood. It's one of the timeless classics out there, surely they would want to do the thing you stated.

And I think I'll take a bet and say the new title will be Rurouni Kenshin: Redemption. (who knows, I got a gut feeling Animax Asia might simulcast it like FMA Brotherhood.)

tonyyao82
April 22, 2011, 05:35 PM
I think it will be likely ala Brotherhood. It's one of the timeless classics out there, surely they would want to do the thing you stated.

And I think I'll take a bet and say the new title will be Rurouni Kenshin: Redemption. (who knows, I got a gut feeling Animax Asia might simulcast it like FMA Brotherhood.)

Redemption might be a good title for the series. After all, that's been the common theme of the series.

shaheer
April 22, 2011, 11:31 PM
the japaneese studio wants to make a live action adaptation out of it
keeping my figures crossed that it will be good. i dont think the story is decided yet, hopefully Noburo Watsuki will oversee this

saladesu
April 23, 2011, 01:15 AM
He'd better! Lest they come up with something like Seisouhen which Watsuki himself publicly "disowned" -_-;

If the adaptation is well done, it will honestly be epic! I wonder how they'll be able to get someone with hair like Kenshin's, though :p

tonyyao82
April 23, 2011, 10:38 AM
A live-action adaptation? Interesting....so many anime getting live-action adaptations. With Gantz out, I guess this is good timing.

Negative Syndicate
June 27, 2011, 05:30 PM
http://jumpsq.shueisha.co.jp/contents/topic-rurouni/index.html

It is confirmed RuroKen will be getting live-adaptation movie. And it looks like it is planning to air on 2012.

RaveDragon
June 28, 2011, 04:28 AM
Hello everyone, live adaptation? OOO cool but isnt there also going to be a remake of the anime?

saladesu
June 29, 2011, 12:13 PM
Late, but...

:zomg

That's amazing. I can't wait!! This seems like an excellent year for RuroKen :) I hope the adaptation is a good one, and I'm crossing my fingers for the Jinchuu arc to be included in the adaptation (though I don't know how much they can squeeze into a single movie...)!

This is Satou Ken, who will be playing Kenshin:
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/5522/e4bd90e897a4e581a5.jpg (http://img163.imageshack.us/i/e4bd90e897a4e581a5.jpg/)
I think looking like serious Kenshin will be no problem for him, but I wonder how he will act as Kenshin when he's all "Oro!? @0@" :XD

TemplateR
June 29, 2011, 12:53 PM
@Picture: Kamen Rider Den-O !!!!!

Anyway, I´m waiting for the first trailer of the anime-remake. The live-adaptation doesn´t interesting me.

Crude
July 02, 2011, 08:27 PM
A little random, but did Watsuki start colouring with pencils towards the end of Kenshin until (and currently) now? His work seems like it used to be done by copic, but it seems like he started colouring with some other material right around the time his style changed to the one he currently has.

Negative Syndicate
December 26, 2011, 03:49 AM
It is confirmed that a reboot of Rurouni Kenshin will be serialized in June Issue of Jump SQ. However, I think it most likely be a mini-series since Embalming will resume on autumn (unless it moves to SQ.19 like Ultimo).

Estranho
December 26, 2011, 09:26 AM
It'll give us around... 6~8 chapters, maybe? This would be almost the necessary for 2 volumes.

Negative Syndicate
December 26, 2011, 11:19 AM
It'll give us around... 6~8 chapters, maybe? This would be almost the necessary for 2 volumes.

I don't think it'll have 6~8 chapters. I think just one volume worth of chapters (around 4~5 chapters).

saladesu
December 26, 2011, 12:29 PM
RuroKen has really been getting pushed a lot in recent years, huh? As a long-time fan I'm happy for Watsuki and the series, but I worry that RuroKen will become a victim of its own fame and popularity. It's tough to live up to such a high standard, much less one you set yourself. Still, I'm interested to see what Watsuki has in store for us, and honestly I'd just be happy to see the cast of RuroKen once more. I do miss them so :glomp

tonyyao82
December 28, 2011, 04:04 PM
I wonder if 6-8 chapters will be enough for a reboot, unless they are going into certain details that we aren't aware of.

Hangedman
April 30, 2012, 07:01 PM
Kenshin "reboot" chapter 1 chinese scan HERE (http://thenamelessteam.forumcommunity.net/?t=50782765)

sir_arles
May 01, 2012, 10:10 PM
Kenshin "reboot" chapter 1 chinese scan HERE (http://thenamelessteam.forumcommunity.net/?t=50782765)

Looks AWESOME. I can't wait to read it.

Shader
May 02, 2012, 06:09 AM
Seems nice) Gonna look forward to it )
What we know about it? Is it a complete reboot? Or just an old story wich gonna be told again?

Negative Syndicate
May 02, 2012, 08:22 AM
What we know about it? Is it a complete reboot? Or just an old story wich gonna be told again?

It is a remake of RK by the author, himself.

TXC
May 02, 2012, 08:47 AM
It is a remake of RK by the author, himself.

So is it like a full series.. with the same start or something like that? like what they did with hxh or more like fma anime remake.

the color page is really good.

Negative Syndicate
May 02, 2012, 08:55 AM
So is it like a full series.. with the same start or something like that?

Well, the first arc's enemy is same, but it doesn't exactly have the same start.

Furthermore, we're not sure even new RK is a full series or not. On the color page, it didn't say as a short series (from past four shor series in SQ, three of them state as to be short series (I don't know about other one because I didn't read it)), so it may be a full series; however, Embalming (Watsuki's other work) is scheduled to resume at this autumn, so new RK may be a short series.

Hangedman
May 02, 2012, 09:00 AM
strange, it seems we dont se aoshi in this arc...

Negative Syndicate
May 02, 2012, 09:12 AM
strange, it seems we dont se aoshi in this arc...

Well, I believe new RK is based on the upcoming live-adaptation movie and Aoshi doesn't appear in the movie.

TXC
May 02, 2012, 09:29 AM
Probably is just a manga version of the movie.

Negative Syndicate
May 02, 2012, 09:45 AM
Probably is just a manga version of the movie.

It could be that, but isn't that kind of become a spoiler for the movie? Also, from 2ch, there is the Watsuki's interview page about the movie and new RK manga and 2chers said that from the interview, Watsuki said that new RK will be different from movie (I just heard from 2ch, so I'm not sure whether it is real or not).

Kateviardo
May 02, 2012, 10:21 AM
Cinema Edition (thanks for Chinese scans btw!) is auto-remake which will feature Kenshin's fight with his enemies from the movie (Kanryu, Jinei, Saito and Sano) and surprisingly it isn't following the movie plot which is apparent from movie trailers and the first chapter. So while it's called Cinema Edition it has almost nothing in common with the movie. This article (http://natalie.mu/comic/news/68765) of course recommends to read the manga "to make the movie more interesting". Quite imprudent of them, isn't it?

And of course there will be no Aoshi both in the movie and in the manga.

According to the official Rurouni Kenshin movie twitter another Ruroken manga - Chapter Zero - will tell why Kenshin decided to stay into Kamiya dodjo. The manga will be published in Shonen Jump this August. (And might be few chapters long according to you, guys) So, it's gonna be another auto-remake hopefully more close to the original than Cinema Edition.

tonyyao82
May 07, 2012, 02:42 PM
I saw some promotional artwork promoting Chapter Zero and I hope they showcase everyone again.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/2811/rkjumpsquare.jpg

Wonder where's Megumi since she's not part of the group in the picture.

Negative Syndicate
May 07, 2012, 09:22 PM
I saw some promotional artwork promoting Chapter Zero and I hope they showcase everyone again.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/2811/rkjumpsquare.jpg

It is not a promotional picture for Chapter Zero; it is for new RK and upcoming live-adaptation movie.

tonyyao82
May 07, 2012, 09:34 PM
Ahh, ok. My mistake. It's good to see more Kenshin again though.

perroloco
May 07, 2012, 09:54 PM
Besides its an old art-work, its the cover art for kanzenban 22 or 23.. To lazy to check lol

tonyyao82
May 07, 2012, 10:42 PM
Besides its an old art-work, its the cover art for kanzenban 22 or 23.. To lazy to check lol

Ahhhh, I forgot about the kanzenban.

Also, VIZ Media is putting the Cinema Version on their list of titles for Shonen Jump Alpha.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-05-07/viz-media-shonen-jump-alpha-adds-new-rurouni-kenshin-manga

kkck
May 08, 2012, 01:27 PM
Ok, I am confused. are they just republishing the whole thing or is it a new thing? According to the wiki it is a reboot which would imply it won't necessarily be the same as the original series (however as a reboot it should be similar). When is this thing starting? Also, whatever happened to the whole finishing the anime thing, did that ever happen?

Kateviardo
May 08, 2012, 02:44 PM
Could someone explain please does the publication of the new manga in Shonen Alpha mean that there will be no english scanlation? Does this magazine get "pirated" btw? *feeling that the end of all hope is near

Ok, I am confused. are they just republishing the whole thing or is it a new thing? According to the wiki it is a reboot which would imply it won't necessarily be the same as the original series (however as a reboot it should be similar). When is this thing starting? Also, whatever happened to the whole finishing the anime thing, did that ever happen?Both Cinema Edition and Chapter Zero will be reboots in a sense that they'll start from the beginning of the old manga with Kenshin coming in Tokyo as a rurouni. But. They won't be trying to rewrite exisiting canon. They're made just for fans' fun and to advertise the movie.

tonyyao82
May 10, 2012, 11:23 AM
Ok, I am confused. are they just republishing the whole thing or is it a new thing? According to the wiki it is a reboot which would imply it won't necessarily be the same as the original series (however as a reboot it should be similar). When is this thing starting? Also, whatever happened to the whole finishing the anime thing, did that ever happen?

Cinema Version is basically the movie in manga form.

Could someone explain please does the publication of the new manga in Shonen Alpha mean that there will be no english scanlation? Does this magazine get "pirated" btw? *feeling that the end of all hope is near.

Good question. I don't think the magazine is pirated at all since the chapters they publish are the chapters published two weeks before the current ones. Now with RK Cinema, this is going to be quite interesting since VIZ acted REALLY fast with acquiring RK Cinema. I take it as an attempt to battle scanlators, but someone will find a way. It's the nature of the Internet.

Kateviardo
May 10, 2012, 12:12 PM
Cinema Version is basically the movie in manga form.
Now, that's not correct. If you look at the chapter and movie trailers it's apparent that they're different. "Cinema Version" is advertised as the manga where Kenshin will fight his enemies from the movie. Manga itself won't have the same plot as the movie.

Here is the first 9 pages of the chapter in Japanese and small summary in English: http://kateviardo.tumblr.com/post/22784717001/its-the-first-nine-pages-of-the-first-chapter-of

Good question. I don't think the magazine is pirated at all since the chapters they publish are the chapters published two weeks before the current ones. Now with RK Cinema, this is going to be quite interesting since VIZ acted REALLY fast with acquiring RK Cinema. I take it as an attempt to battle scanlators, but someone will find a way. It's the nature of the Internet.
I just hope someone will use this new Rurouni Kenshin App for ipad and download Jap Raw from it. And will translate bloody thing already!

Negative Syndicate
May 10, 2012, 09:30 PM
The new Rk is not based on the upcoming live-adaptation movie. It is a remake of RK by the author, himself.

shaheer
May 12, 2012, 12:27 AM
WHAT seriously? The author is gonna remake the whole RK again?
I dont think that is a wise move

Negative Syndicate
May 12, 2012, 12:55 AM
WHAT seriously? The author is gonna remake the whole RK again?
I dont think that is a wise move

Well, it is confirmed whether Watuki will do the remake for the whole thing or just the Tokyo arc.

shaheer
May 12, 2012, 02:38 AM
i just hope he doesnt ruin it. RK is and will be the bench mark anime in my anime list. His other work Buso something was pretty much not so good
i just skipped the whole thing off after watching 2-3 eps,

Kateviardo
May 12, 2012, 05:48 AM
I doubt we have something to fear: both remakes will be short, more like variation on theme "man with no name comes to town" than full-blooded remakes. My policy is take it easy and enjoy good story with familiar faces.

For example, in the beginning of Cinema Edition Saito asks Kenshin if he’s alright fighting in place which is drowning in blood and Kenshin answers that he's fine as long as it's Bakumatsu. Isn't it a cool way to introduce an age and the character? I think it's a way better than "he slashed open a new era of piece but he's a nice guy actually." BTW some japanese blogger jokes that "pools of blood" will be a catchphrase in the new manga cuase it was mentioned 3 times in the first chapter))))

kkck
May 13, 2012, 11:03 PM
Just saw the chapter, good stuff lol.

Anyways, I was going online and found out there was a chapter released in the english manga which featured the lives of severel seijuro hiko. Can anyone point me to where I can read that chapter?

Kateviardo
May 14, 2012, 01:26 AM
Wow! Actual translation for the chapter was put on site 3 days ago? I'm going to kill somebody right now for my stupidity... I'm actually kind of angry that noone pointed it out in this thread. Would it kill ya, guys? To tell stupid rookie where to look for damn translation?

Nevertheless: the chapter on mangatraders http://www.mangatraders.com/manga/series/8780

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

Anyways, I was going online and found out there was a chapter released in the english manga which featured the lives of severel seijuro hiko. Can anyone point me to where I can read that chapter?I got it from volume 6 here (it's a special): http://www.mangatraders.com/manga/series/9 I could upload it if you have problems.

kkck
May 14, 2012, 10:10 AM
Well, to see that translations got posted you need to mark the series as a favorite. The series has been finished for quite a while so it is unlikely anyone marked this manga as a favorite to keep releases in check lol. Thanks for the info.

Kateviardo
May 14, 2012, 11:39 AM
Oh, that's what's happened. At least I now know how it works) Thanks.

I like this new chapter a lot. Latest ruroken OVA which is remake of the Kyoto arc is so spectaculary bad that people were expecting the worse giving that new manga is basically made to promote the movie. And it turned out to be really fun. The translator made sure that phrases that were used in the original were translated according to the old translations. So starting with Jin-e's laugh and ending with Kenshin's explanation it all sounds familiar and gives nostalgic feels. Kenshin might be a little bit crazier this time and plot seems a little bit silly but all in all I'm very pleased with this "remake".

tonyyao82
May 14, 2012, 09:45 PM
Oh, that's what's happened. At least I now know how it works) Thanks.

I like this new chapter a lot. Latest ruroken OVA which is remake of the Kyoto arc is so spectaculary bad that people were expecting the worse giving that new manga is basically made to promote the movie. And it turned out to be really fun. The translator made sure that phrases that were used in the original were translated according to the old translations. So starting with Jin-e's laugh and ending with Kenshin's explanation it all sounds familiar and gives nostalgic feels. Kenshin might be a little bit crazier this time and plot seems a little bit silly but all in all I'm very pleased with this "remake".

Yeah, I heard some bad things about the OVA, though I heard there's going to be a 2nd OVA coming out involving Kyoto.

Kateviardo
May 15, 2012, 01:27 PM
Yeah, I heard some bad things about the OVA, though I heard there's going to be a 2nd OVA coming out involving Kyoto.
It's actually one OVA that consists of two parts and the second part will be out this June. But the first part was preety bad))) It has its nice moments but 40 minutes is too little time for such a big story.

kkck
May 21, 2012, 11:03 PM
So, how many chapters were going to come out now? Is only the one?

Negative Syndicate
May 21, 2012, 11:16 PM
So, how many chapters were going to come out now? Is only the one?

We're not sure whether how many chapters going to be in total for new RK.

Kateviardo
June 03, 2012, 02:31 AM
Next chapter will be out on June 4 in the Jump SQ 7. This time with poster. (Source and high res: http://p.twipple.jp/WRE9H)

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4u4baoG5h1r4fbq9.jpg

---------- Post added June 03, 2012 at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was May 30, 2012 at 04:16 PM ----------

New pictures of the poster:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m505te2YVi1r915e6o4_500.jpg
https://p.twimg.com/AuhcJGaCQAIs71f.jpg:large

Crude
June 03, 2012, 06:07 AM
Awesome poster! Sanosuke is looking as badass as ever! The artwork kind of reminds me of the PSP game.

Negative Syndicate
June 04, 2012, 10:09 AM
It looks like RK will be absent on next month's issue.

Kateviardo
June 04, 2012, 11:17 AM
Hiatus? That's strange...

Chinese scans of the new chapter: http://moeshare.moepic.org/simple/?t25946.html

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

BTW little artbook which was distributed along with Jump SQ 6 can be found here: http://jojohot.tuita.com/blogpost/22787060

It's got a lot of new pictures!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m53p01Pnj11r915e6o1_1280.jpg

Negative Syndicate
June 04, 2012, 11:33 AM
Hiatus? That's strange...

Chinese scans of the new chapter: http://moeshare.moepic.org/simple/?t25946.html

Not this month's issue; on next month's issue. That chapter is in chinese, so I can't read if it actually going to be absent on next issue or not.

Based on looking at chapter 2 (just picture), the story is flowing really fast. It looks like Watsuki is planning to serialize for about two volumes worth of chapters. However, that makes new RK will likely serialize for about one year; I wonder that means Watsuki is planning to work on two series (since Embalming will resume on this fall).

Kateviardo
June 04, 2012, 12:54 PM
Not this month's issue; on next month's issue...
Based on looking at chapter 2 (just picture), the story is flowing really fast. It looks like Watsuki is planning to serialize for about two volumes worth of chapters. However, that makes new RK will likely serialize for about one year; I wonder that means Watsuki is planning to work on two series (since Embalming will resume on this fall).
That's what is strange - why miss an opportunity to publish another chapter before the premiere of the movie in August? I mean, the break after just two chapters seems a little bit sudden for me. Of course, Watsuki must be pretty busy with all his projects right now...

I thought that Cinema Edition would be short manga - Kenshin would fight his enemies from the movie - Kanryu, Sano, Saito, Jin-e, Gein and Inui. And then it'd end. I still think that's how it will be. Chapter Zero will take the place of Cinema Edition and will be short as well. (I know they're published in different magazines). I just can't believe that Watsuki will take 3 projects at once.

Negative Syndicate
June 04, 2012, 01:22 PM
That's what is strange - why miss an opportunity to publish another chapter before the premiere of the movie in August? I mean, the break after just two chapters seems a little bit sudden for me. Of course, Watsuki must be pretty busy with all his projects right now...

Possibly, but Watsuki is getting quite a lot of breaks along with Hoshino. I wonder how much power mangaka have over on the live-adaptation.

I thought that Cinema Edition would be short manga - Kenshin would fight his enemies from the movie - Kanryu, Sano, Saito, Jin-e, Gein and Inui. And then it'd end. I still think that's how it will be. Chapter Zero will take the place of Cinema Edition and will be short as well. (I know they're published in different magazines). I just can't believe that Watsuki will take 3 projects at once.

Well, I was skeptical about Kenshin being short manga because all of past SQ mini-series, it has stated that it would be short manga and new RK didn't say anything. However, when I saw the story flow of chapter 2, I think it may be short series.

Isn't Chapter 0 suppose be a prequel one shot for original RK and not new one?

Kateviardo
June 04, 2012, 01:53 PM
Isn't Chapter 0 suppose be a prequel one shot for original RK and not new one?It supposed to be another "reboot" telling why Kenshin decided to stay at Kamiya-dojo. I thought that it will be short series but now that you've mentioned it, it must be one-shot.

Still, I hope that Cinema Edition will end this fall. It's fun to see the author playing with old ideas and old characters again but I wouldn't want to see Remembrance arc or Jinchu arc remade into couple of chapters even 30-pages long.

Negative Syndicate
June 04, 2012, 02:06 PM
It supposed to be another "reboot" telling why Kenshin decided to stay at Kamiya-dojo. I thought that it will be short series but now that you've mentioned it, it must be one-shot.

I don't think it is a prequel for "reboot;" I think it is a prequel chapter for original RK since it uses original RK's name.

Still, I hope that Cinema Edition will end this fall. It's fun to see the author playing with old ideas and old characters again but I wouldn't want to see Remembrance arc or Jinchu arc remade into couple of chapters even 30-pages long.

If new RK going to end within this fall, that means it has to end within three or four chapters and I don't think new RK can wrapped up within only 3-4 chapters (unless the story goes superfast).

Kateviardo
June 04, 2012, 02:20 PM
I don't think it is a prequel for "reboot;" I think it is a prequel chapter for original RK since it uses original RK's name.
No, it's not a prequel neither for original RK, nor for Cinema Edition. It's just another Watsuki's attempt at creating "first chapter" for Rurouni Kenshin franchise. As I said before, another reboot.

If new RK going to end within this fall, that means it has to end within three or four chapters and I don't think new RK can wrapped up within only 3-4 chapters (unless the story goes superfast).If we suppose that Cinema Edition's plot ends with defeat of all the "movie enemies" than in the next chapter Kenshin probably will start to fight with Saito but they will be interrupted by Jin-e. While Kenshin will go to battle with him, Saito and Sano will face Gein and Inui respectfully. That's 2-3 chapters.

Negative Syndicate
June 04, 2012, 03:36 PM
No, it's not a prequel neither for original RK, nor for Cinema Edition. It's just another Watsuki's attempt at creating "first chapter" for Rurouni Kenshin franchise. As I said before, another reboot.

It is not a reboot; it is just one shot for the event that happened before the beginning of RK (as you already know about). So, it is kind of consider as prequel for original RK (since full name of one shot is Rurouni Kenshin -Meiji Kenkaku Roman-dan- Act Zero).

If we suppose that Cinema Edition's plot ends with defeat of all the "movie enemies" than in the next chapter Kenshin probably will start to fight with Saito but they will be interrupted by Jin-e. While Kenshin will go to battle with him, Saito and Sano will face Gein and Inui respectfully. That's 2-3 chapters.

I don't think Kinema-ban is actually about the live movie, itself. The live-adpatation is based on original RK with bit of changes since Gein and Inui are not appearing in the movie; Kinema-ban is Watsuki's self-remake of RK.

Kateviardo
July 04, 2012, 10:17 AM
Oh, well, we just have different opinions on that one)))))) There is press-release about Chapter Zero and it's in Japanese so I think I'll better stop arguing about it because I could have made mistake in translation. All I know that it gave me strong impression that Chapter Zero won't be the prequel. Giving the name of the chapter I could be wrong but I'd rather face it in August)))))

What about Kinema-ban it must not be forgotten that it was never advertised as manga-version of the movie - it was advertised as "manga where Kenshin will fight his enemies from the movie". So far it was pretty consistent with that - Gein and Inui, Jinchu-arc foes that found their way in the movie, made an appearance in the latest chapter. (Yes, it's officialy stated that Ayano Go will play Gein in the movie) So I'm pretty sure that Kinema-ban will end with their defeat.

All in all, it's only natural that names of thiese new mangas have a little to do with actual mangas. I mean "Kinema-ban' and "Chapter Zero" sounds a lot more better than "strange story 1" and "strange story 2"

---------- Post added June 07, 2012 at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was June 05, 2012 at 10:17 AM ----------

If anyone is interested there are RAWs http://shareraws.blogspot.com/2012/05/magazine-rurouni-kenshin-kinemaban.html

---------- Post added June 20, 2012 at 12:33 AM ---------- Previous post was June 07, 2012 at 11:30 PM ----------

SJ Alhpa published second chapter and interview with Watsuki-sensei. Sadly, only sneak-peek is available for international usage but it has a lot of interesting info - http://shonenjump.viz.com/node/778 For example, Cinema Edition has a completely different plot to the movie plot because Watsuki-sensei used ideas for reintroducing Kenshin that could be used for the movie but were rejected. And this picture with Sano's introduction found its way to the tumblr:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5tszf079Y1qbxqfpo1_500.png
(source: http://tristtrist.tumblr.com/post/25375889504/rurouni-kenshin-restoration-chp-2)

Newkerzy
July 04, 2012, 10:27 AM
Man.... if Watsuki wasn't so pressed with WSJ's competition and deadlines he could've come up with something like Sanosuke using extra padding for Futae no Kiwami. That would've made Sanosuke's fighting style even more effective without him worrying about breaking his hand. Especially during the beginning of the Jinchuu arc. That would've been handy and more practical at a critical time.

Kateviardo
August 09, 2012, 03:26 AM
This chapter was so utterly ridiculous I don't know what to think. For any Ruroken fan it's still a treat but story-wise and character-wise it's really weird. Saito's "Idiots" in the end felt really appropriate.

BTW it's almost August! Chapter Zero is soon gonna be published...

---------- Post added July 29, 2012 at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was July 04, 2012 at 09:24 PM ----------

Cover of the Jump SQ 09.2012. It features Kenshin on the cover but it's hard to tell whether it feature Kenshin within.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7xamfnISq1qjwwdho1_400.jpg

---------- Post added August 03, 2012 at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was July 29, 2012 at 06:40 PM ----------

Alright. Cover was a huge hint - after all new chapter of Cinema Edition was published in September issue! Jojohot: http://comic.jojohot.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=23&page=1#pid117 Read online: http://www.openlife.com.hk/%E5%8B%95%E6%BC%AB%E8%BF%B7%E9%83%A8%E8%90%BD%E6%A0%BC/%E6%96%87%E7%AB%A0/kenshin003

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m86bxf5Ohz1qjwwdho1_r1_500.jpg
New chapter and cover! Three chapters of Cinema Edition were supported by 2 covers and one big poster. Pretty amazing, eh? And judging by third chapter the fourth might really be the last - Saito, Sano and Kenshin will face Gein, Inui and Jine.

BTW it was really nice to see Battousai-vs-Saito foght. I bet every Ruroken fan felt that it was a shame - the fact that we've never seen this fight in original.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m86acigyBr1r915e6o1_500.png

---------- Post added August 09, 2012 at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was August 03, 2012 at 02:25 PM ----------

Well, Chapter Zero will be published in next Jump issue and will be 46 page long. My guess is it will be another story about Kenshin saving damsell in distress who would say in the end something like "you should accept people's kindness more" so Kenshin would have additional personal reason to say "yes" to Kaoru's invitation. It's really funny situation though because we are going to get another canon-chapter. Not Cinema Edition style of "another Universe, another characters" - this time we are going to see the rurouni who must be in complete accordance with all 28 volumes of the original manga.

redon
August 16, 2012, 09:40 AM
Kenshin One Shot (WSJ 38/2012) RAW

http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/L1J53EKY/

Kateviardo
August 19, 2012, 03:58 AM
Wow! Thanks! Well, I like the style but have little hope I'll like the story))))))))

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

Better quality (though pink paper): http://commiczip.blogspot.com/2012/08/2012-38-zip_2420.html

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8zvgw045Y1qjwwdho1_1280.jpg

sir_arles
September 01, 2012, 07:27 PM
Any news about the one shot's translation?
Did anyone do it?

Kateviardo
October 04, 2012, 07:27 AM
Cinema Edition's chapter 5 is out (Japanese RAW found here http://raw-hunters.com/raw-scan/square-jump/ - http://rapidgator.net/file/47884668/Rurouni-Kenshin-Kinema-ban-06.zip.html) I like this chapter a lot - after movie premiere it seems Watsuki doesn't need to make it so fast-paced. I still hope it will soon end though. It's sad but there are no scanlation for Cinema Edition 3-5 and Chapter Zero but then again after 15 years of waiting several months mean nothing.

vizardichigo
October 11, 2012, 04:17 PM
It's actually one OVA that consists of two parts and the second part will be out this June. But the first part was preety bad))) It has its nice moments but 40 minutes is too little time for such a big story.

The second one sucks even more....Dont wanna spoil it but its even worse than the 1st one...They shpuld have done it like the Berserk movies but they went another route...sigh

ukimix
November 13, 2012, 01:02 PM
Eiichiro Oda (One Piece) pay tribute to Rurouni Kenshin with this drawing:

http://i.imgur.com/TaCAG.jpg

This days I have listening this beautiful songs, and remembering...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jv8m0DEg5A&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3yWVa0c4eY&feature=related

Doraku
November 14, 2012, 04:08 AM
As much as I love Oda's art style, Kenshin is too muscular in that photo, it makes him looks weird =/. By the way Rorouni Kenshin's anime is probably the Anime which has the most amazing OPs and EDs of all time. I think I really like all of them.

I guess I have to read the One-shot now..

ukimix
November 14, 2012, 07:49 AM
As much as I love Oda's art style, Kenshin is too muscular in that photo, it makes him looks weird =/. By the way Rorouni Kenshin's anime is probably the Anime which has the most amazing OPs and EDs of all time. I think I really like all of them.

I guess I have to read the One-shot now..

Yeah, same feeling about the drawing. And sorry for my ignorance, but doesn't have Kenshin just one sword?

About OPs and EDs, Kenshin themes are great but... I can see you haven't watch Cowboy Bebop. (Take a look at tome of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YncNm0WQY2I ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSYZmTguXP8&feature=related ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT6u0bE6vTw&feature=related )

sir_arles
November 24, 2012, 03:29 PM
And sorry for my ignorance, but doesn't have Kenshin just one sword?

When he was battosai he used a Katana and a Wakizashi.

saladesu
December 18, 2012, 05:54 AM
I finally got around to reading chapter 0, it was pretty meh in my opinion. I was initially thinking of translating it since I had some time on my hands but after reading it, I decided it wasn't really worth the time :sweat I have no idea if anyone elsewhere has posted any sort of summary but if not, here goes:

The story begins with a narrative of the same description of Kenshin we've seen many times over, his history as Hitokiri Battousai and how he disappeared into thin air at the dawn of the Meiji era.

The story is now set in Yokohama, in the foreigners' settlement area. Kenshin is walking around when a rickshaw puller, named Dankichi, crashes into him. A kid is crying by the side of the road, her mother collapsed, sick, beside her. Dankichi introduces the person he was pulling, a doctor by the name of Dr Elder. This doctor sports a bird mask and a top hat, as well as a long cape, and is notably a foreigner. Everyone is wary of letting this doctor treat the woman as he's a foreigner, wears a mask, and they don't even know his identity. Dankichi however, has much faith in him, professing him to be a world-class doctor and a friend of the sick and injured. Dr Elder instructs Dankichi to transport the mother and child to his hotel, but before Dankichi can proceed, they are stopped by some people.

It's another doctor (a Japanese this time), Ishizu Deian. Long story short, Ishizu wants Dr Elder to stop ruining his business by treating the poor. Ishizu only treats westerners or the rich, in line with his beliefs that medicine is a privilege of the rich, and that those who cannot afford it do not deserve to live. Dankichi and Elder protest, of course, which leads to Ishizu's underlings getting ready to beat them up.

Kenshin, naturally, steps in and deals quickly with the hoodlums. He tells Dankichi to use his rickshaw to bring the mother and child to the hotel, while he and Elder run there. Kenshin's actions lead Ishizu to believe that he is Dr Elder's bodyguard so later he plots to attack Dr Elder to get to Kenshin.

Before that, Kenshin and Dankichi are up in Dr Elder's hotel room. Kenshin is about to leave but Dr Elder invites Kenshin to stay. Kenshin accepts, but later walks in on her changing. Yep, Dr Elder is a girl. She wears heels and a top hat to mask her height, a cape to mask her figure, and a mask to hide her face, knowing well that she will not be able to gain the people's trust as a female doctor. Her words to Kenshin are very reminiscent of Kenshin's own, when she says that this is the path she has chosen, and that as long as through her mask, the world is one where everyone can live healthily (the sentence structure is almost exactly the same as Kenshin's line when he agrees to become a hitokiri - when he agreed on the condition that as long as through the sacrifice of the lives he takes and the blood on his sword, there can be a world where everyone can live in peace).

Kenshin decides to leave, since it's obviously inappropriate for him to stay the night with a girl. Before he leaves he reminds her that Dankichi has much faith in her skills and that the mother and child would be thankful for her help, and thus that this path she has chosen is probably the right one. Here they flashback to the time when Kenshin agrees to become a hitokiri as I mentioned before.

Later some dude with a weird drill-like sword (he calls it the Destornillador Saber... Destornillador means screw driver... go figure) ambushes Dr Elder and Dankichi, but Kenshin comes to the rescue. The dude challenges Kenshin, saying that even if Kenshin has thrown away his name "Hitokiri Battousai", if he hasn't thrown away his sword, which, to a swordsman, is akin to his soul, then he has not changed one bit and is exactly like him - they are both killers. And he wants to challenge Kenshin to see which of them is the better killer. Anyway, Kenshin makes quick work of him with a Ryuutsuisen.

Some days later Kenshin goes to send Dr Elder off when she's about to leave for America. But Kenshin isn't the only one - Dankichi, the mother and child, and other people she treated (I presume) are there as well to see her off, which makes her really happy and she takes off her mask and everyone is shocked it's a girl. Before she departs, she notes Kenshin's scar. She tells him that one's heart and body are connected in a much stronger fashion than one might think. She suggests that he go off to Xin Tian Di (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xintiandi) (a place in Shanghai, notably one without cars... maybe that means less stress...?) and start a new life there.

Kenshin thanks her, but says that his past is one that he chose himself, and that he cannot just let go of it like that - that who he is now includes his past, and his scars. However, he says that at least, he can use his sakabatou to protect even one more person of those around him. She gives him some advice in her capacity as a doctor: that apart from medical treatment for wounds and illnesses, rest is also of paramount importance. She recommends he find a place to settle down where he can nurse his mind and body.

And so the chapter ends, just as it began - with the narrative description of Kenshin's history as a hitokiri, and how he disappeared into thin air leaving only his name as the "strongest" in the legends of that time. But this time it continues: "And so, the romantic story began 5 days thereafter, in the 11th year of the Meiji era, in Tokyo..."

Phew, that was longer than expected! But yeah, overall it felt pretty meh, but I guess there's not much you can expect from one short chapter like this, and of course, as a fan of the series, it feels weird when the only recognizable character is Kenshin himself. It just... doesn't feel like you're reading RuroKen, if you know what I mean :s But ah wells.

I also watched the live action movie earlier today, and will probably start a thread or something over in Otaku Theatre. I'm in two minds about the movie as there was really much to like, as well as much to dislike about it...

kkck
April 14, 2013, 01:55 AM
Ok, I finally had the chance to see the RK live action movie so I will write a few thoughts about it. I will use spoiler tags for it however.

The good: Fighting scenes. I actually bought most of the fighting done in the movie and was basically wowed every time kenshin used a hiten mitsurugi technique. It just seemed so believable....
The bad: Character development. For such a long movie (over 2 hours) we had remarkably little character development and they skipped on several aspects of the personalities of a few characters. There were also a few deviations from the manga in regards to the story which seemed at large unnecessary. Also, not enough saito at all.

Anyways, the movie starts with one of the final battles before the meiji era starts. Seeing kenshin as the hitoriki was awesome and the fight itself was incredible. One of the biggest hit and miss from this particular section of the movie was them not actually showing any interaction between saito and kenshin though. In the manga saito's motivation to fight kenshin was actually one of the more interesting plot points. The movie just ignores the fact that saito has a score to settle with kenshin at large.

Then we move on to 10 years after kenshin stopped being a hitoriki.

Overall kenshin was seen similarly to what he is in the manga however they completely ignore the somewhat goofy aspects of his personality and while he never is particularly joyful at large he was usually pretty upbeat. In the movie they focus in the more somber aspects of his personality and remorse over killing which in the end makes him overall pretty dull. The fight scene at the kamiya dojo was epic however his reluctance to draw his sword is annoying even this early. The fact that he refuses to draw it later on does not make things better, it just makes things even more dull in hindsight. Its not like seeing him beat the crap out of thugs without drawing his sword was not awesome but a big point of the movie should have been to see him using his reversed blade on as many people as possible. The fight scene outside of kanryu's house perhaps makes up for this though. It had a bit of everything and it actually showed him taking on multiple with single sword slashes which is precisely what hiten mitsuruki is supposed to do. In particular was done exceptionally well was the running scenes. The super speed which kenshin used was IMHO very well made and it had great effect in the movie.

Kaoru is introduced as a headstrong girl not really afraid of getting into trouble and picking a fight. That is however most of what we see of kaoru. Kaoru in the manga was never particularly able to take on the big shots however she was still able to handle herself in a fight against several thugs at least. From this point onward we never actually see kaoru fighting someone and at large it seems like she is just meant to be a victim for kenshin to protect.

Yahiko gets introduced and overall his personality is very similar to the one seen in the manga however they still did not do as much as he deserved with him. he never actually defeated anyone so in the end it just seems as if yahiko is just a loud brat rather than the respectable swordsman he was for his age. Of course, at the time the movie took place yahiko would not have been that exceptional however if they were already taking some creative licence with the characters there would have been no harm in having him beat up a few thugs.

Sanosuke had some big hits and some big misses. His fight scene with kenshin was somewhere between hitting and missing so to speak. The part about the huge sword being hard to wield with predictable attacks was done flawlessly however there was also the big miss of kenshin not actually drawing his sword. It would have been acceptable if kenshin did not outright beat the crap out of him however there was no reason for kenshin to be so hellbent in this context to not draw his sword. I guess that without the revelation of sanosuke's past kenshin would not have had as much motivation to fight him seriously however without that the fight lacked the emotional weight it had in the manga. Overall the entire scene is not something which should make too much sense for people unfamiliar with the manga. The biggest miss in the end was that his friendship with kenshin was not clearly stablished though. Next we just see him almost randomly joining kenshin to storm kanryu's place.

I did not like all too much how kanryu was portrayed. It could have been because of the somewhat goofy music which he always had in the background though. He was still somewhat queer and more ridiculous, I would have liked a gritier version so to speak personally. Perhaps make him a little more scarface like but of course without actually making him badass. His motivations and character development were overall well done to be fair though. Just as in the manga it was all about the money.

As for megumi, I think this was one of the better developed characters. Perhaps the only miss with her was her remorse at making the opium which IMO should have had more screen time. Her personality was overall fairly well portrayed and the little background given about her in regards to her family was just enough. Less wouldn't have been enough but more was not actually necessary in regards to what the movie needed. The biggest miss with her would have been IMO the lack of a scene with kenshin stopping her from killing herself. Perhaps with the whole super speed thing which they had been doing pretty well overall.

As far as saito goes this was the most underexploited character by far. Saito was the best antihero possible in many regards and they just left him out of so much. There was no scene of him beating the crap out of sanosuke and the fight between him and kenshin was not nearly as awesome as it could have been. It did not really dwell into kenshin becoming the hitoriki as fights grew longer and it was more one sided than an underdeveloped saito deserved. Worst part, no gatotsu use at all which should in all fairness be a crime. Of course, without even mentioning the score saito had with kenshin in the manga the fight itself did not really bring in all that much. More so, neither kaoru, sanosuke, megumi or yahiko were present at all during the fight.

Now, the fight scene outside of kanryu's house was pretty well made and seeing kenshin used ryuitsuisen against a couple people was well deserving of raging fangirl screams. Of course the movie did downplay the techniques however to those with well trained eyes from reading the manga the use of such techniques becomes obvious. Sanosuke had a fun role here. I really have no complains about this scene to be honest.

The we get into two important fights against the movie equivalents to hanya and benihiko.

Hanya as a character and the fight with him was a big miss. They completely skipped his illusion which is perhaps understandable and they made him into a pretty boy with a scar on his face rather than the faceless dude he actually was. Making him use guns also a huge miss. I don't see any particular reason for the movie to not have been more faithful overall.... Of course without aoshi being in the movie they removed several of the things which made hanya cool.

I enjoyed the fight against benihiko overall. it differed from the manga fight a decent but it was executed well and overall it made sense. I would have liked to see the iron ball however I guess that if they were really going for realism it makes sense they would have skipped that. It would also have been good if they had used a bigger bulkier dude to play benihiko. I loved the moment in the fight were benihiko and sanosuke stop to eat and drink to be honest. It was so them so to speak. Benihiko being vegetarian was random and sanosuke telling him that sucked was fun too. Perhaps the biggest miss of the fight was the lack sanosuke had of his futai nokiwame though. Chronologically it would have made no sense but then again, why not? I don't think they aim to make another film and giving sanosuke a wall blasting technique to defeat a guy who was actually shown to be physically superior to him would have been incredible.

The gattling gun scene was just adequate. It made little sense to be honest and without the oniwabanchu dying it seemed just random (although I say that from the point of view of someone who read the manga). I mean, we have kenshin and sanosuke walking in front of it and kanryu not shooting. They were pretending to surrender however would the kanryu from the manga give a shit? Now, what was enough to actually make up for that was saito to be honest, his role was enough to turn this mess into something adequate. In this scene we get to see what should in a fair world be refered to henceforth as the "motherfucking" gatotsu. Seriously, saito flies here and knows down a chandelier to take out kanryu. I think the only miss here would be that saito did not kill kanryu. It was already different from the manga and its not like saito would be the sort to hesitate to kill a guy who aims a gun at him, specially a dirtbag. The scene would have been perfect if kanryu was actually hit by the gatotsu and was sent flying 4 meters up in the air and ended up hanging much like usui did.

Then we have the final fight in the movie between jin'e and kenshin. Obviating that the fight had been somewhat randomly set up through the movie (IMO) it was actually very well made and very accurate overall. His eye techniques being given the fear approach was IMO a good idea and it makes things somewhat more understandable for the non manga reader overall. Seeing kenshin slowly become the hitoriki once again was pretty cool too. Just seeing kenshin prepare for the batoujutsu was epic IMO. best moment in the entire movie. The execution of the soryusen was worthy of the screams of 10000 fangirls too, I never though a RK technique could ever be executed so perfectly. The only miss in the fight was that they did not actually build the batoujutsu enough IMO. In the manga you had jin'e pondering on how he would deal with that and using his eye technique on himself to become stronger. I wouldn't have minded seeing him slash a rock or tree just for the effect and a small explanation on what the batoujutsu really was. I also wouldn't have minded if kenshin elaborated on his style a bit more. In particular I would have loved the line " All hiten mitsurugi techniques have two steps that leave no openings".

Kaizou 10
August 02, 2013, 08:05 PM
I believe no one has uploaded this information, so I'll upload it. It is confirmed that Rurouni Kenshin going to get another live-adpatation movie which it focuses on the Kyouto arc (it'll be divided into two parts).

Here's some of the new casting:

- Shishio Makoto = Fujiwara Tatsuya (actor who played Yagami Light (from Death Note) and Itou Kaiji (from Kaiji)
- Seta Soujirou = Kamiki Ryuunosuke
- Shinomori Aoshi = Isea Yuusuke

http://jumpsq.shueisha.co.jp/contents/sp_rurounikenshin/_image/main01.jpg
http://jumpsq.shueisha.co.jp/contents/sp_rurounikenshin/_image/main02.jpg
http://jumpsq.shueisha.co.jp/contents/sp_rurounikenshin/_image/main03.jpg
http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/revolution_d1/50348209/46079/46079_900.jpg

---------- Post added August 02, 2013 at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was July 31, 2013 at 02:18 PM ----------

More information about the cast for upcoming live-adaptation of Rurouni Kenshin is announced:

- Kashiwazaki Nenji = Tanaka Min
- Ohkubo Toshimichi = Miyazawa Kazufumi
- Itou Hirobumi = Ozawa Yukiyoshi
- Komigata Yumi = Takahashi Maryjun
- Sawagejou Chou = Miura Ryousuke
- Myoujin Yahiko = Ohyagi Kaito (changed)

Kaizou 10
December 19, 2013, 10:16 PM
The first trailer for upcoming Rurouni Kenshin's second live-adaptation movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1vrsp97HdV8

kkck
December 20, 2013, 07:35 AM
Wow, shishio looks weird. Like a mumified chimpanzee or something. I guess we can't really expect better.....

Kaizou 10
December 31, 2013, 04:10 PM
The several pictures for Rurouni Kenshin live-adaptation movie is updated.

Shinomori Aoshi (Iseya Yuusuke)
http://cdn2.natalie.mu/media/comic/1312/extra/news_large_kenshin_aoshi.jpg

Seta Soujirou (Kaimiki Ryuunosuke)
http://cdn2.natalie.mu/media/comic/1311/extra/news_large_kenshin_sojiro.jpg

Makimachi Misao (Tsuchiya Tao)
http://cdn2.natalie.mu/media/comic/1312/extra/news_large_rurou_misao.jpg

Okina (Tanaka Min)
http://cdn2.natalie.mu/media/comic/1312/extra/news_large_kenshin_okina.jpg

Shishio Makoto (Fujiwara Tatsuya) and Ten Swords (Juppon Gatana)
http://cdn2.natalie.mu/media/comic/1401/extra/news_large_rurou_shishio.jpg

Kaizou 10
February 10, 2014, 01:12 AM
Some action scenes (Aoshi vs. Okina) from the upcoming live-adaptation movie for Rurouni Kenshin:
http://cdn2.natalie.mu/media/comic/1402/extra/news_large_okA46O2912.jpghttp://cdn2.natalie.mu/media/comic/1402/extra/news_large_okA46O1283.jpg