PDA

View Full Version : Luffys last adventure as a 17 year old?

Akainu
December 12, 2009, 04:11 PM
Well, since Oda himself gave us such a nice little piece of information in volume 0, that reached us via njt (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/../news/details/292) (many thanks for sharing!), there should be one thread to discuss this (as opposite to "all over the place").
So post your theories on what that might mean here, there already are some nice htoughts out there ;)

chess4
December 12, 2009, 04:16 PM
it was stated that oda said that movie 10 would be the last adventure we will see luffy as a 17 year old.

i wonder is there a timeskip on the horizon. how is oda going to do that

Black Lagoon
December 12, 2009, 04:44 PM
it was stated that oda said that movie 10 would be the last adventure we will see luffy as a 17 year old.

If it's true, that would only make sense, because how many years took Roger to conquer the GL? ^_^

chess4
December 12, 2009, 04:55 PM
If it's true, that would only make sense, because how many years took Roger to conquer the GL? ^_^

yea but how would oda do it? i always thought that luffy was 2 young to be pirate king. will it happen after this arc? will the strawhats be back together by then? will it happen before the new world? im interested to see how oda will do this?

hope oda gives us more at jump festa. speaking of that, when is jump festa?

Gats
December 12, 2009, 05:07 PM

wow ! That's a big news, what is the source ?

chess4
December 12, 2009, 05:15 PM

the homepage of mangahelpers, click on the one piece link(the giant strong world poster)
[hr]

the homepage of mangahelpers, click on the one piece link( below the giant strong world poster, where it says read more in pink)

Black Lagoon
December 12, 2009, 05:17 PM
yea but how would oda do it? i always thought that luffy was 2 young to be pirate king. will it happen after this arc? will the strawhats be back together by then? will it happen before the new world? im interested to see how oda will do this?

hope oda gives us more at jump festa. speaking of that, when is jump festa?

It's been a while that I'm thinking in a flashback, I mean that when this war is over or during the escape Oda might skip the details then and shows the SH directly in the NW after a month or 2 (let assume that Luffy has 17 years and 11 months :fan).

Or he's about to celebrate his birthday xD

chess4
December 12, 2009, 05:25 PM
im sure that the other yonkou are some monsters. i mean luffy is a small fry on the battlefield. for luffy to be pirate king, he is going to have to be the strongest alive. he has to surpass everyone.

i mean luffy is not in the top 20 when it come to strength. also since the crew is so small, when luffy begans to make his run for the top, his crew is going to have to be all shichibukai level. they have a very long way to go. a timeskip would be cool, but how long would oda skip?

Gats
December 12, 2009, 05:27 PM
Well for me the timeskip stuff would probably mean that there won't be a "search my crew" arc. That there would be a timeskip where everybody or almost will meet each other at Shabbondy island since they all have Raileygh life paper. But it would be surprising that it would take several years.

chess4
December 12, 2009, 05:47 PM
lets face it, a 17 year old is not going to be pirate king. gol rogers was in his 40s when he was king. luffy is no where near ready. i really dont know what will happen. maybe a 5 year skip? among the supernova crews, the strawhats are the best, but compared to the crews that are in the NW, the strawhats are normal crew. even the BB's are better than them

Black Lagoon
December 12, 2009, 05:56 PM
BB will surely make a name for himself in the NW, Or he already have one along with Luffy, but I guess ... Luffy is already known in the whole world. ^^

Gats
December 12, 2009, 06:16 PM
lets face it, a 17 year old is not going to be pirate king. gol rogers was in his 40s when he was king. luffy is no where near ready. i really dont know what will happen. maybe a 5 year skip? among the supernova crews, the strawhats are the best, but compared to the crews that are in the NW, the strawhats are normal crew. even the BB's are better than them

Well we don't know how old was Roger when he started his own Pirate adventure.

zagorka
December 12, 2009, 06:41 PM
I'm thinking after the war is done, there will be a time-skip, the length of a few months. I'm thinking Luffy will find only a few of his crew, while the others will find Luffy themselves. For instance Robin can easily find Luffy, because she's with the RA and a situation where Luffy meets his father may bring them together. Nami, after she's learned her weather tricks, she can navigate herself easily back to Shabondy in some manner, like a weather balloon. We can predict many things, but I don't think there needs to be a long time-skip for them to re-unite.

I don't think Oda wants Luffy to age much in his pursuit to become Pirate King.

Black Lagoon
December 12, 2009, 06:42 PM
Well we don't know how old was Roger when he started his own Pirate adventure.

yeah, but we know ... well, we don't for sure, but I think it's barely the same time Dr. Crocus spent with him. (3 years)

ocajavati
December 13, 2009, 12:36 AM
Last adventure as a 17 years old?

Oh god. Time-skip. I'm banking on a time-skip. Won't be anything worth announcing if it's not a time-skip. I've been puzzled as to how Oda intends to follow-up to the massive fight/explosion of awesome he's showing us right now. With that, it all makes sense.

Katz
December 13, 2009, 12:50 AM
Hmm if there truely is gonna be a timeskip, I wonder what would be the best amount of years to skip, luffy is 17 atm, I'd like to see maybe a 3 year jump to 20.

bittman
December 13, 2009, 02:40 AM
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Timeskips never work out well. Naruto got worse after the timeskip (3 years). Bleach got worse after the timeskip (1 month). DragonballZ never recovered from its biggest timeskip to the Buu saga (10 years?). Please tell me one manga, anywhere in the world, that has benefitted from a "major" timeskip. If it exists it was either meant nothing to the story or I haven't read it.

One Piece does "timeskips" whilst travelling between islands, but they're typically a few days to weeks at most. Perhaps Oda is just going to have a small one (month or so) to give Luffy time to properly recover and the Strawhat's to be reunited in earnest. The moment you talk about years, you've basically just diminished the epic rise that Luffy made on the world.

...I'm just hoping for a "I'm gonna go sleep for 2 weeks straight after this battle" timeskip for Luffy, and maybe he'll have his birthday in this period and thus turn 18. I mean, I've been waiting ages for one of the Strawhat's to have a birthday. Their victory parties are so outrageous, imagine a birthday party!?

kanmati
December 13, 2009, 03:21 AM
This story is Luffy's last adventure as a 17 year old so watch it over and over again

mentioned in volume '0'.

its mean after WHITE BEARD WAR.

luffy gang meet when they get older????????? thats my bid. NEW ERA!!

kanmati
December 13, 2009, 03:22 AM
This story is Luffy's last adventure as a 17 year old so watch it over and over again

mentioned in volume '0'.

luffy gang meet when they get older????????? thats my bet. NEW ERA!!

Shiro-kun
December 13, 2009, 03:40 AM
^ Nah i think Luffy is going rejoin his crew after the war , Oda still says that Luffy is still 17 ..the story will probably end when he turns 18 lmao

Lord Rayleigh
December 13, 2009, 04:43 AM
A timeskip looks likely : Oda will thus avoid the after-war, and the crew search/waiting, what would have been boring because it must have took a long time. Indeed, it does not seem possible that the crew met quickly : some are back in the Blue seas and other are on unknown GL islands. If we suppose the ones who are on first part of GL's islands, it means that they will have to take the roads that lead to Shabondy : which means different islands/adventures before the meeting ; and for the ones who are in Blue seas, it means adventures in a Blue sea and on the first part of GL.

Anyway, I imagine Luffy like after a timeskip.

Future Luffy
http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/2783/77411968.jpg

nillut
December 13, 2009, 05:02 AM

mentioned in volume '0'.

luffy gang meet when they get older????????? thats my bid. NEW ERA!!
Or maybe he'll just turn 18 after this war? IIRC he set out for the Grand Line when he turned 17, maybe he'll celebrate his 18th birthday by going into the New World.

But even an ant might be able to steal the lion's sugar ;)
What kind of weird lions do you have in Germany? :confused

NoLimit89
December 13, 2009, 05:16 AM
Luffy has traveled to so many places and this manga has been going on for so long, I won't be surprised if Luffy is already currently 20 years old or something.

Besides, he looks much more different than when he first appeared.

ScratchmenApoo
December 13, 2009, 05:24 AM
I think he is hinting that Luffy might be growing into a man over the course of years. 18 years old usually means becoming an adult.
Luffy's big enemy battles in the beginning of One Piece didn't have that intense look in his eyes like "I am going to kill you and then kill you again" like he has with battles now (Gecko Moria, Blackbeard, and Strong World movie moment from which I've seen only from the trailer).

I have more to say but they pretty much revolve around the same thing. Luffy is becoming less of a goof and more of a respected pirate. I am expecting great things from him from the adventures in New World.

Shiro-kun
December 13, 2009, 05:34 AM
I will be sick to the bone if there is a timeskip, im anti-timeskipper! i hate the idea when Naruto had it why in the hell would i support a timeskip in One Piece?

Luffy turning 18 is fine by me :) , in a lot of countries its signifies becoming an adult or coming of age.

Gats
December 13, 2009, 05:59 AM
I think he is hinting that Luffy might be growing into a man over the course of years. 18 years old usually means becoming an adult.
Luffy's big enemy battles in the beginning of One Piece didn't have that intense look in his eyes like "I am going to kill you and then kill you again" like he has with battles now (Gecko Moria, Blackbeard, and Strong World movie moment from which I've seen only from the trailer).

I have more to say but they pretty much revolve around the same thing. Luffy is becoming less of a goof and more of a respected pirate. I am expecting great things from him from the adventures in New World.

The problem is that some of us like Luffy like this. Completely idiot, naive etc :amuse

OdaForPresident
December 13, 2009, 05:59 AM
He could just have his birthday and turn 18. I'm not sure there's gonna be a time-skip. Though I do think it would be cool to have a time skip of a couple months while Luffy waits for his crew to arrive at shabondy.

Split Second Shot
December 13, 2009, 06:02 AM
In my own little fantasy world I came up with this scenario:

The marines have the upper hand in the battle for Ace's execution after taking the head of Whitebeard in a stunning final battle between him and whoever, the Marines take Ace's life as well. Luffy loses it and becomes a shell of his former self losing the last bit of true family he considered having.

Jump forward to his 18th birthday.

With Luffy in this state, the marines capture him and throw him down into Impel Down. Another major execution hits the stage, but this time his crew all try to break him out single handedly without realizing the others went to help. Each busts in their own way whether it be stealth or brute force and find Luffy. As reinforcements come towards Impel Down, things look grim for the Straw Hat crew as all the fighting beforehand took a lot out of the top fighters, with Luffy still in a slumped state.

One of the strawhats; I think Usopp would say this with shaky legs; er actually he's at least GOT to have a LITTLE backbone now... :
"Happy Birthday Luffy, as your present we give you our life to keep your dream alive."

Crying, fearing that his crew will be lost in front of his own eyes for the second time, Luffy somehow masters control of his haki, the only real major weapon he was missing up until this point, and takes out the reinforcements. Then next arc. Haha.

I realize there may be holes in this story and possibly even no way of it happening, but I have a nice imagination, or I'd at least like to think so.

cippy
December 13, 2009, 06:12 AM
I've been wondering too if theres gonna be a time-skip. I mean it takes at least 1 months to go back from sky island or to go from east blue to SA ( btw i think it took almost 1 year in anime time since luffy started his adventure ). I mean how can an 17 year old be pirate king when others like WB who is probably 60-70 years old or more didnt make it and look at the difference in their crew's right now.
There has to be a time-skip and i think i will be between 1 month and 6 months... untill all of strawhat's get back.. and luffy must get a power-up i mean he's the only one who's gonna be back on sunny without a power-up.. so he has to train.
This time skip will be good for other side characters like Coby, Helmeppo, Smoker and Tashigi. Hope they will advance in ranks.
I hope luffy will be like this : http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/434/06/
He has to turn into a man.

Aramix
December 13, 2009, 06:18 AM
My crazy theory: The war against marines will be lost. Ace may die, may not, but Whitebeard will. Luffy will be thrown into Impel down. After 1-2 years Imbel down will be atacked by Straw hats and Luffy will be free again. Well it's crazy i 'now.

Shiro-kun
December 13, 2009, 06:33 AM
A few months is not a huge timeskip, albeit minor which is better than jumping years through time which i hate

He is rising star as it is and it took less than a year to accomplish that , which is phenomenal increase of reputation .if the timeskip is years he might come out tooo great or having accomplish nothing.Having a month or few months timeskip allows the straw hats to re-group in Shabody Isles, and they can set out to the New World (and have Luffy a b-day party xD)

gotdott
December 13, 2009, 07:05 AM
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Timeskips never work out well. Naruto got worse after the timeskip (3 years). Bleach got worse after the timeskip (1 month). DragonballZ never recovered from its biggest timeskip to the Buu saga (10 years?). Please tell me one manga, anywhere in the world, that has benefitted from a "major" timeskip. If it exists it was either meant nothing to the story or I haven't read it.

One Piece does "timeskips" whilst travelling between islands, but they're typically a few days to weeks at most. Perhaps Oda is just going to have a small one (month or so) to give Luffy time to properly recover and the Strawhat's to be reunited in earnest. The moment you talk about years, you've basically just diminished the epic rise that Luffy made on the world.

...I'm just hoping for a "I'm gonna go sleep for 2 weeks straight after this battle" timeskip for Luffy, and maybe he'll have his birthday in this period and thus turn 18. I mean, I've been waiting ages for one of the Strawhat's to have a birthday. Their victory parties are so outrageous, imagine a birthday party!?

Well the Buu Saga was kind of tacked on, I read somewhere that Toriyama initially planned to end it at the Cell Saga. The time skip that came right before that wasn't so bad, the "3 year" time skip before the attack of the androids that served as time to allow the main characters to compete reasonably with the new threat.

Claymore had a time skip that didn't interfere with it's momentum, and also I didn't mind the time skip at the end of Dragon Ball either ^^

But anyway, I feel like the proper amount of time for a time skip, if there is one, is no more than a few months. That way all the uproar caused by recent events wouldn't have died down, and we would easily be able to catch up to recent events like Yonkou battling to fill the void left by Whitebeard (if he dies). Years wouldn't make sense since a lot can change in a year or two.

tobito
December 13, 2009, 07:20 AM
I will be sick to the bone if there is a timeskip, im anti-timeskipper! i hate the idea when Naruto had it why in the hell would i support a timeskip in One Piece?

A timeskip would suck really bad!

Luffy turning 18 is fine by me :) , in a lot of countries its signifies becoming an adult or coming of age.

You're right, I'm 18 and I'm considered an adult here :)

Romanov D Paul
December 13, 2009, 07:30 AM
A part anything involving other manga... you can guess that, if any timeskip at all is going to happen, that it will probably be very short and won't probably affect the characters appearence. Afrter all, the journey through the Grand Line of th SH pirates begun a while ago and there is nothing strange in Oda reavealing that Luffy is going to grow older :) If there is something that I really, really love of this manga is it's lifelike flavour, given that incredible and absurd things happen but still, Oda went so far in the rapresentation of his nightmare (:D) that at a certain point just everything seemed possible, and without ruining the incredible work on the main characters or anything, with the resault of giving birth to something where I personally find most characters, as inhuman they can be, actually very recognazible human being who are going to age, sooner or later. We just didn't know if Oda was going to make age matter and now we have the answer.

By the way, I hope anyone who has informations and/or uploads avaible for volume 0 and strong world as well will become our savior and share it with us! Please....

Finale
December 13, 2009, 09:24 AM
If anyone can pull off a proper timeskip it'll be Oda. Who knows maybe during this alleged timeskip he'll show us how BB plans on shaking the world to its core. Everyone has been assuming that he's gonna make a move a Marinford but that may not happen.All the worlds eyes are focused elsewhere and when BB isnt being closely watched is when he is doing his dirt ( killing Thatch, breaking into ID).

nerevarine
December 13, 2009, 09:45 AM
Didn't Oda already created a chronick of the whole story at the beginning? So to me it seems, when he already published his first Manga, that he intended a timeskip...

And to be realistic, the only way for Luffy to get stronger is a timeskip (perhaps 2-3 years, then he'll have the same age as Ace).... even though he's completely exhaused from the battle, he wouldn't stand long even with his wounds healed....
He has to find a way to compete with logias (yes haki, but honestly, since he hadn't unleashed it yet, I don't think he'll do it in this arc/war, 'cause the enemys are simply too strong)... and atm there are 4 enemy logias (we know off) + Croco.....

And furthermore, I don't think that haki alone will be the path to free ace... Hancock as well has the king haki and can't use it to help Luffy or force the Admirals to not attack him.....

urlaub
December 13, 2009, 09:57 AM
Does becoming 18 mean erotic feelings? When will these appear in case of Luffy?

I think the time skip can't be very big, because of the method Oda has used for the past 10 years. And we will not see many adventures then. On the other side, we have this picture with the beard. So I am thinking that Luffy can't remain 18 forever in the manga. Still possibility of making a timeskip after reaching Raftel and ending the series in story wise.

Gats
December 13, 2009, 10:02 AM
Does becoming 18 mean erotic feelings? When will these appear in case of Luffy?

I think the time skip can't be very big, because of the method Oda has used for the past 10 years. And we will not see many adventures then. On the other side, we have this picture with the beard. So I am thinking that Luffy can't remain 18 forever in the manga. Still possibility of making a timeskip after reaching Raftel and ending the series in story wise.

The picture with the beard stuff is not Oda's work :darn

Dice
December 13, 2009, 10:20 AM
I could imagine a big time skip at the end of the story but right now a time skip greater than some months would be really strange.
Some said that they want a time skip of 2-3 years. Sure he will be stronger by then but what has he done all the time?
Unlike Naruto (which I like more before the time skip though the story got recently a new momentum in my opinion) One Piece is a story where the way matters more than the actual goal and this 'way' his Luffy and co's journey.
So after 2-3 years would he still be in shabondy? Would he have crosses already a big part of the New World? Did he travel back to east blue and take his time there?
For me everything longer than a few months (something like 1-3) would be to long.

Lord Rayleigh
December 13, 2009, 10:22 AM
The picture with the beard stuff is not Oda's work :darn
Actually, it is Oda's work. It comes from the Pilot Chapter that he did before beginning the manga. In this chapter, we see a 17-year-old Luffy and at the end there is a picture with an older Luffy, who is said to be a famous pirate of the seas.

zagorka
December 13, 2009, 11:12 AM
I'm thinking that his last adventure as a 17 year old, plainly means he's turning 18. So many chapters have gone by, and we haven't really understood how much time has passed. So if theres a chance of Luffy meeting Shanks or his father, his age may come up and there we'll recognize that a year has passed since he left his home village.

I'll say it again, a time-skip doesn't seem like it's going to happen. If there is any sort of time-skip, it'll last a few months. I'm sure after this war, Oda will have a month or two pass for Luffy to get back on track, while the SH crew will be seen to start on their quest (cover pages) to meet back at Shabondy on their own. All in the mean time, Luffy will train to be ready for the New World as he himself will head for Shabondy.

Mr. Crocodile
December 13, 2009, 11:51 AM
People keep saying timeskip but there's nothing on what Oda wrote that mentions a timeskip per se..since he just said Luffy's last adventure as a 17 year old then there's a more subtle way to explain this. He might just be referring to this http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/538/02/

Dice
December 13, 2009, 12:00 PM
A problem that arises if Luffy is turning 18 is that there should have already been some other members who had their birthday. If nobody else had their birthday already that would mean that he is only sailing around one month (Since he got Ussop at the beginning of his journey and he didn't celebrate his birthday until now).
The birthdays are:
Robin: 6th of February
Sanji: 2nd of March
Franky: 9th of March
Ussop: 1st of May
Brook 3rd of May
Luffy: 5th of May
Nami: 3rd of July
Zoro: 11th of November
Chopper: 24th of December

Another possibility how it could work with Luffy celebrating his birthday would be that the others simply didn't care about their own until now and so the could celebrate all of them at once.

frontaLobotomy
December 13, 2009, 12:05 PM
Wow, he's still only 17? I thought they'd already been on the sea for a year by the time they left Arabasta.

fallou
December 13, 2009, 12:37 PM
Maybe it will be a short timeskip, but Luffy turning eighteen doesn't necessarily mean timeskip. Maybe he will just happen to turn eighteen after the war. And yeah, Bittman, timeskips usually don't work in manga, but one piece is special. It's the only manga I've read that is still top quality after so many chapters(honestly, even hajime no ippo got a little lame). So please don't be pessimistic, I trust Oda bein able to make it work well. I just hope Luffy doesn't change physically, and that the anime team will NEVER change his voice

Gats
December 13, 2009, 12:38 PM
People keep saying timeskip but there's nothing on what Oda wrote that mentions a timeskip per se..since he just said Luffy's last adventure as a 17 year old then there's a more subtle way to explain this. He might just be referring to this http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/538/02/

So... ? Losing 10 years of his life span doesn't make him older than 17 years old.

Split Second Shot
December 13, 2009, 02:20 PM
Still Iva-chan's one weird cookie. Who knows maybe the side effects will cause him to age once the "treatment" wears off.

beastboy
December 13, 2009, 02:32 PM
I mean how can an 17 year old be pirate king when others like WB who is probably 60-70 years old or more didnt make it and look at the difference in their crew's right now.

The same way roger conquered the grind line in 3 years... its called... FATE!!

And I've only seen one time skip worse of watching... xD.. and that was in TTGL (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)!
The rest of the time skips were just bad...

I know Oda could pool out an awesom time skip, but he won't... thats cause One Piece is the story of the one travel that Luffy did to become the Pirate King... what would be the point of skip it... Time Skip would only mean that Oda is rushing it.. and no one rushs something wich is giving him lots of money!! :D

I would prefer to see One Piece going on for more 40 years than a time skip ;)!

NoLimit89
December 14, 2009, 12:58 AM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before but after just seeing the announcement about "Luffy's last adventure as a 17 year old", I kinda got reminded of Romance Dawn.

It's gonna be a time skip and Luffy is gonna look like Shanks:

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/0/51/

Edit: Dammit, nvm, someone already posted this.

RichardMNixon
December 14, 2009, 01:29 AM
If there's a time skip, Luffy had better get a beard.

chess4
December 14, 2009, 01:33 AM
The same way roger conquered the grind line in 3 years... its called... FATE!!

And I've only seen one time skip worse of watching... xD.. and that was in TTGL (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)!
The rest of the time skips were just bad...

I know Oda could pool out an awesom time skip, but he won't... thats cause One Piece is the story of the one travel that Luffy did to become the Pirate King... what would be the point of skip it... Time Skip would only mean that Oda is rushing it.. and no one rushs something wich is giving him lots of money!! :D

I would prefer to see One Piece going on for more 40 years than a time skip ;)!

well rogers was in his 40s and we still dont know what kind of dawgs where on his ship besides rayliegh and shanks.

well if there isnt a timeskip, then the strawhats must be getting some hella upgrades on their respective islands.

their crew is not going to be big so they are all going to have to super strong.

AiddonValentine
December 14, 2009, 01:47 AM
eeeeeyeah, I'm not trusting this one bit; the only time skip I have ever seen work was in Claymore (and Jojo's, but that's a WHOLE other league). Time skips are are usually just a lazy way to power up people because idiots tend to whine about how the heroes beating super powered baddies shouldn't be possible.

chess4
December 14, 2009, 02:02 AM
eeeeeyeah, I'm not trusting this one bit; the only time skip I have ever seen work was in Claymore (and Jojo's, but that's a WHOLE other league). Time skips are are usually just a lazy way to power up people because idiots tend to whine about how the heroes beating super powered baddies shouldn't be possible.

i think timeskips are a necessary part of all graet manga's. think about it, luffy is 17. wouldnt it be ridicuilous, if luffy at 17 is stronger than shanks, who is twice his age.

Poneglyph420
December 14, 2009, 02:09 AM
If this is the last time we see Luffy as a 17yr. old, well then I hope we see him next as an 18 yr old. I agree that long time skips usually are epic fails.. (Naruto..)

But maybe after the war luffy passes out for a few months and awakes in SA with his crew and a really good recap story..
I could by that maybe....

Sure hope we don't have a major time gap.....

zagorka
December 14, 2009, 07:01 AM
Has anyone thought of the prospect that after this war, Luffy will age and look like he's 27? Possibly with the help of Iva, he'll be given hormones to aid his aging. Meaning, he may be given hormones to become taller, rather than looking like a 27 year old boy. Heh... Perhaps the effects of his treatment haven't yet struck Luffy, which is why we haven't seen him age yet.

I don't know. It's a possibility I guess.

Gats
December 14, 2009, 07:35 AM
567 chapters without aging or almost. I guess that at least a year of timeskip must happen.

YamFrie
December 14, 2009, 07:56 AM
They've been traveling for 5 monthes only... I think.

So a little time skip would be just fine. And by the time Luffy meets his nakamas, they all must be powerfull enough to be in the New World. It seems to me that Oda simply doesn't want to spend his time explaining what happened to each of Luffy's nakamas... They must continue their travel already.

Bludvein
December 14, 2009, 08:32 AM
A time-skip is fine, and logical at this point. Some of his crew members arent even in the Grand Line, so it will probably take them a couple months to get to SA in the worst case. A small arc for all the crew members would just postpone the story unnecessarily.

Luffy needs to recover from the backlash of the hormones, and get stronger in the time his crew is working to get back to SA.

Rotten The Wizard
December 14, 2009, 10:20 AM
for all the doubters let me just say this:
has Oda ever disappointed us? He's surpassed our every expectations and wildest predictions. We have never been able to predict correctly the course of an arc.

have FAITH in Oda for he will deliver!

WinningDays
December 14, 2009, 11:12 AM
oh man, when I first read the "Luffy's last adventure as a 17 year old" thing, I automatically thought he was turning 18 but I guess the time skip-thing is possible too...

by "last adventure" I thought it meant the movie adventure but it could be the white beard war thing...
While watching the movie it felt like it was after the war, but I guess that doesn't make sense since it's probably gonna take time for the crew members to get together again

If he's turning 18 though, then Ussop probably already turned 18, Sanji turned 20, and Brooke may have turned 89? and maybe Ace turned 21.
I'm just speculating but I'm guessing the manga starts not too long after Zoro's 19th birthday since only a few months have passed supposedly. Chopper, Robin, and Franky probably haven't aged since their birthdays mightve passed before they joined the crew.

If it's a time skip I think there'd be lots of flashbacks involved but other than that I can't really imagine it....

Either way would be nice though, I was sad that Ive been getting older than all of them because I was like 12 when I started reading One Piece, but then I got older than Chopper, then Luffy, then Ussop, then Nami, and recently Zoro... makes me feel old...

Drmke
December 14, 2009, 11:19 AM
I would honestly hate a timeskip....One Piece is one a the few long running manga that hasn't done that. Oda has shown Luffy's growth every step of the way and I personally like it that way. It may take another 10 years of manga for Luffy to become the pirate king but so what? That would be awesome.

I think people may be reading to much into this "last adventure at 17" thing. Oda might just be saying Luffy is finally going to turn 18 lol As much as they have built up Fishman Island, if they skip it I'll be pissed. Plus, all the adventures leading into the New World. One Piece is one of the few manga were a time skip would just ruin it.

AkuSokuZan
December 14, 2009, 12:05 PM
I think a time skip would make complete sense. We have multiple crew members scattered across the oceans. It will be sometime before everyone can join back together, not to mention the training each of the individuals are encountering. I feel this time skip will greatly influence and increase the attributes of many of the crew members for the future adventure.

panasit
December 14, 2009, 12:12 PM
I didn't think scatter the crew all over the world would work either, but the three arcs are like the best ever. I seriously thought Oda couldn't top himself after Enies Lobby, boy was I wrong.

I personally have a weird theory. Luffy appears to be getting younger and younger. At first I just thought that the art style are being more refined. But then he keeps doing thing that take years out of his life (the gears, and being fixed by Ivankov). May be he will actually be reduced to a 14 or 15 year old kid.

Bludvein
December 14, 2009, 12:22 PM
I didn't think scatter the crew all over the world would work either, but the three arcs are like the best ever. I seriously thought Oda couldn't top himself after Enies Lobby, boy was I wrong.

I personally have a weird theory. Luffy appears to be getting younger and younger. At first I just thought that the art style are being more refined. But then he keeps doing thing that take years out of his life (the gears, and being fixed by Ivankov). May be he will actually be reduced to a 14 or 15 year old kid.

I don't think Luffy's appearance has grown younger at all.

I would honestly hate a timeskip....One Piece is one a the few long running manga that hasn't done that. Oda has shown Luffy's growth every step of the way and I personally like it that way. It may take another 10 years of manga for Luffy to become the pirate king but so what? That would be awesome.

I think people may be reading to much into this "last adventure at 17" thing. Oda might just be saying Luffy is finally going to turn 18 lol As much as they have built up Fishman Island, if they skip it I'll be pissed. Plus, all the adventures leading into the New World. One Piece is one of the few manga were a time skip would just ruin it.

I agree a major timeskip would suck, but i think most people are considering a small skip just so the crew can get back together. Covering all their returns to SA would be boring imo. Oda won't skip showing the islands, and especially not their entrance into the NW.

Xadyu
December 14, 2009, 01:50 PM
How about Luffy getting captured?

And there's going to be a jailbreak when his old (the current) crew gets together and bails him out.. or something like that..

Would be cliché, but awesome..

Akainu
December 14, 2009, 02:17 PM
another jailbreak? I don't know... who is going to defeat Magellan this time? especially after security in ID being strengthend many times due to Luffys doings (and probably Blackbeards too). Another jail is out of question imo and another execution-like scene too.

as for the ominous line (last adventure as a 17yr old) I'd rather like to think Luffy turns 18 while on FI or while knocked out after the war. the latter would be horribly amusing seeing Luffy mightily pissed that he missed the party xD

Xadyu
December 14, 2009, 02:35 PM
I always thought of Luffy not being 17 anyway, he should've at least been 19 now or so.

But time in One Piece is hard to define, I mean, fights could be minutes to hours, but the traveling between island is days for sure, weeks, hell, maybe even months, who knows. We never (most of the time's) exactly see everything on their journey.

But 1 year, at least, 1 year, must've passed already..

Lord Rayleigh
December 14, 2009, 03:45 PM
I always thought of Luffy not being 17 anyway, he should've at least been 19 now or so.

But time in One Piece is hard to define, I mean, fights could be minutes to hours, but the traveling between island is days for sure, weeks, hell, maybe even months, who knows. We never (most of the time's) exactly see everything on their journey.

But 1 year, at least, 1 year, must've passed already..
It has already been discussed. One year is impossible because Luffy began his piracy as a 17-year-old boy and Oda confirmed some days ago that Luffy was still not 18.
What have likely gone since the beginning are 3 months : see there (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1609191&postcount=97).

Dice
December 14, 2009, 03:46 PM
well rogers was in his 40s and we still dont know what kind of dawgs where on his ship besides rayliegh and shanks.

well if there isnt a timeskip, then the strawhats must be getting some hella upgrades on their respective islands.

their crew is not going to be big so they are all going to have to super strong.

It's meaningless that Roger was in his 40's. He conquered the grandline in three years which means he was only in eastblue (or another sea at most). Personally I even think that Luffy is nearer to his prime than Roger was (age-wise I mean not strenght-wise).

If there is a time skip it will most likely be nothing like the naruto-training-time-skip which took three years it will rather be a gather-everybody-again-and-take-the-time-to-regenerate which will take only some months at max (at least I hope so).

So to sumarize:
1: Many people want a time skip most of them want only a short one.
2: Maybe Luffy is just turning 18 but then there is the problem that no one else was celebratiing their birthday (take a look at page three for the birthdays, or take a look at the one piece wikia page) which Oda could easily solve in a comical manner (they just didn't care etc. which would lead to a super big party ;) )

Another possibility I thought of:
In one of the latest chapters we saw the super novas. Maybe some of them will show up in the war and one of them could be Bonney. What if she does turn the WB allies some what younger, so that they are in their prime again and Luffy a little bit older (and the marines older/into babies :D). Later she has no chance to turn him younger again (I'm assuming that the effects are permanent which we know nothing about).
That way Luffy could get a little bit stronger but would still keep his naive nature and would be older ;)

Spaceman-Spiff
December 14, 2009, 07:06 PM
Wasn't Oda-sensei referring to Strong Wold when he wrote that? So, Strong World was Luffy's last adventure as a 17-year old, and Shabondy & Impel Down are his next adventures (as an 18-year old).

Dice
December 14, 2009, 07:33 PM
When does Strong World actually take place story wise? After the war? Or right after thriller park?
If it's the latter and Oda was reffering to strong world than all this talk here would be unnecessary :D.

agoes
December 14, 2009, 08:15 PM
everthing gonna happen....oda chan can make everything posible and you'll never know it.....zehahahahahaha

^__^"

zagorka
December 14, 2009, 09:40 PM
Wasn't Oda-sensei referring to Strong Wold when he wrote that? So, Strong World was Luffy's last adventure as a 17-year old, and Shabondy & Impel Down are his next adventures (as an 18-year old).Hmmm... maybe. But why did Oda state for us to watch it over and over again? It seems like there is more to this than meets the eye. While it could be simple that he plainly turning 18, it could means something else. Perhaps another drastic change in Luffy. Or is Oda just pulling our leg here? Because to me, turning 18 is not the biggest of deals.

Shiro-kun
December 15, 2009, 12:01 AM
Luffy turning 18 will provide how long Luffy has been on the sea's

If Luffy was 17 at the start , than Luffy will be 18 halfway through the story ..Since it took Roger three years to conquer the grandline, Luffy beating the record at two will be so much awesome haha!

again, im not against a small time skip at all ..just a long one i want to see Luffy enter the New World and more about his adventures good or bad (although there has been growing epicness going though each arc) as we been doing since the start of the story ...to just skip a great portion of that, is just lunatic ... Oda is a great storyteller imo because he does not rush things and leave things out , everything has flowed smoothly for the story since the beginning of the story because of this method of storytelling and to just skip some adventures to get the story to another place doesnt sound like something oda will do ...

MihawkAce
December 15, 2009, 12:09 AM
What i think is that eaither maybe ace is realy going to get exexuted or luffys grandpa dies (Garp) so luffy and evry one else will settle for a while trainign lets say a year and then when they have almost masterd theyre strenght and stuf they get back together but way stronger than before , and why hasnt luffy and the crews reward gone up they already beat moria and alot of stuff has happend , do you think hes reward will go up after the war and how much will it be

Goty
December 15, 2009, 01:02 AM
If he's turning 18 though, then Ussop probably already turned 18, Sanji turned 20, and Brooke may have turned 89? and maybe Ace turned 21.

Well, Roger's death is still mentioned as an event from "22 years ago" since the very beginning when Luffy left his hometown, and the movie book lists all the crew members with their original ages...i guess Oda is implying something more relevant here.

Truefan21
December 15, 2009, 01:27 AM
for all the doubters let me just say this:
has Oda ever disappointed us? He's surpassed our every expectations and wildest predictions. We have never been able to predict correctly the course of an arc.

have FAITH in Oda for he will deliver!

Uh yes he did
Pell being alive after a huge bomb went off
Oar randomly being alive in a war where people normally die
A woman being pregnant for three years even by manga standards thats nonsense imo
(Thats just my view on it)

As for the time skip well if its 6 months to 1 year then that could work
anything longer may ruin it imo.

kkck
December 15, 2009, 01:46 AM
SO what if luffy won't be 17 anymore? Who is to say in the next ten chapters we won't see they guy turning 18 lol.

zagorka
December 15, 2009, 03:41 AM
Uh yes he did
A woman being pregnant for three years even by manga standards thats nonsense imo

anything longer may ruin it imo.... Oars was barely alive, so I don't understand why you feel like that was disappointing? It's not like the damage he took was worthy of killing him. He's a giant. Okay, he lost his foot, endured a heavy shockwave attack from Kuma, and was shot at many times. Still... I don't think it was unreasonable, only after one wave of attacks for him to still be alive. He most likely will die in this war, being that he has no way of escaping. He's lost his leg, and the ability to move. And as for Ace's mother being pregnant for that long... Wow you're disappointed in this? ... Need I remind you that this manga's genre is a fantasy? If you want realism, you need to read something else. Oda has created a world grounded in his own rules and he hasn't really deviated from that. When someone has the drive to do something, they are capable of incredible things. Especially since Ace's mother also had the initial D, which further accounts for this incredible feat.

So whether or not Oda does give us a time-skip, I'm sure it will flow nicely.

Gats
December 15, 2009, 05:58 AM
Uh yes he did

Since when do you expect something reasonable when you read One Piece ? It's not Naruto. :tem

WinningDays
December 15, 2009, 07:22 AM
Well, Roger's death is still mentioned as an event from "22 years ago" since the very beginning when Luffy left his hometown, and the movie book lists all the crew members with their original ages...i guess Oda is implying something more relevant here.

Ah, that's true... it does have all their original ages....:o:darn
hmm...maybe it is a time skip then

poor Oda, every time he says something all the fans go crazy, sort of...
:onoz
well at least I do...

I'm just hoping he meant that Luffy's turning 18, so I can try to figure out the timeline, just for curiosity's sake....

A time skip would be pretty exciting though...
I think he'd only do it if he thought it would be better for the story and he hasn't failed us yet.
He probably cares enough about OP to take his time and do it properly, and I bet the editors and most fans wouldn't mind if it went on for a while longer, so he doesn't have to rush or anything either...

so basically, what I mean is that I wouldn't mind a time skip, but I don't it's likely, but if it does happen it'll definitely be good....

beastboy
December 15, 2009, 08:02 AM
Uh yes he did

Three years??? WTF... I only counted 2 >.< xD.. but it can possibly be 1 and an half... (He was pregnent during 9 months after rogers death, 22 years ago, and gave birth 20 years ago... but we don't know the days and months so it could be less than 2 years..) and don't you find some one surviving after being poisoned, saved with a lot of pain, some nice cuts, a jutte in is face, and beying trashed around by kizaru non sense... thats way worse than enduring a 1.9 year pregnancy.... And she died.. so even for a D., that isn't something you can get out of alive.. xD!! But I'm sure we will have more back story about that.. xD!

And if you find Oars being alive a mistake, what would it be Zoro being a live...

Oars Jr. is no weakling.. he is a well known new world pirate....

Pell is the only thing I hate about One Piece.. xP

kkck
December 15, 2009, 10:36 AM
Wonder why there could be a timeskip though. Maybe the strawhats will refrain from going to the NW in order to train?

Dice
December 15, 2009, 12:57 PM
Maybe it's a timeskip to gather everybody and a timeskip just behind the strong world story (if that story takes places after the war).
Since strong world is canon it must have place in the story. The crew could talk about the strongworld incident without giving to much info away (if they do talk about it).
Oda won't make strong world needed to follow the regular story but it will be a nice addition (at least that's the way I think about it).

DarkFlameDragon
December 15, 2009, 01:03 PM
maybe the currnet arc will finish and then there will be the timeskip O.o

ZenoArmani
December 15, 2009, 03:01 PM
Did anyone mention the possibility of Ivankov's 5-year loss treatment may simply catch up with Luffy? Oda did restrict himself to mentioning Luffy alone after all.

But then again, why would it chronologically catch up to Luffy first right after the movie, and does this mean that it takes place some time in the future, after the Strawhats have reassembled and turned stronger, rather than right before the Shabondi arc? Or maybe it's simply not important where the movie fits in?

I also think a timeskip would be awful btw. These almost never work for the readers.

Black Lagoon
December 15, 2009, 06:58 PM
He'll probably be out for a bit and sleep through his eighteenth birthday or something, however far away May is in the One Piece universe. :noworry

BetaRuler
December 15, 2009, 11:59 PM
Please tell me one manga, anywhere in the world, that has benefitted from a "major" timeskip. If it exists it was either meant nothing to the story or I haven't read it.

How about Trigun XD?
Eatman! There was probably a time skip between justabout EVERY chapter XD

I imagine maybe a half a year gap for the strawhats to reunite somewhere like Shabondy. Luffy may become so badly injured in this Whitebeard vs Marines fight that he'll need the time just to heal as well, he may even be hidden by Boa Hancock back at the amazon lily, and kept there until the strawhats have all gathered together and he can go meet up with them in 1 go rather than meeting them 1 at a time, that'd be SO like a manga to do it like that anyway I think.

Buggy by then should have regrouped with his old crew and prolly gone into the new world and is achieving tons of hilarious feats.
Along with the supernova's and BlackBeards crews notoriety and strength growing... I think some of them need to become bigger to become challenges for Luffy to overcome and put some distance between the days he might challenge a yonkou.

Poneglyph420
December 16, 2009, 01:14 AM
I tend to think that after the War Luffy is going to be out for a while, maybe even as long as 6 months for sure. If that constitutes a time skip sweet. But time for training arcs or a reunion arc, hhmm I hope not. I tend to agree with Betaruler's post that he will need time to heal.
I think this has been the SH's training arc, and we will get to see them reunited back in SA with Rayleigh and crew. IMO of course. It gives us time to see how the dust settles after the War....

Katz
December 16, 2009, 03:07 AM
Yea I could maybe see that being the timeskip, Luffy in a coma or something, maybe his crew tries to track him down and they all meet up or something..

Lord Rayleigh
December 16, 2009, 04:27 PM
Yeah. Luffy will be in a coma and when he will wake up, his crew will be there. That's the timeskip. Thus, we will avoid the escape from MHQ (after Luffy and the others take Ace from the platform) and the crew's reunification.

LoneLobo
December 16, 2009, 06:09 PM
I come to the same conclusion Lord Rayleigh.
Luffy will probably be knocked out for quiet some time after this war. This time two weeks of good sleep and eating won't be enough. I vote for a 6 month timeskip, that's enough time for the world to return to normal after the war and for the strawhats to reunite. I think it will be on Shabondy and when Luffy wakes up he will be surrounded by his friends ;)

For those thinking of a 3 year time skip where Luffy would become more manly (is that a real word?^^)... not gonna happen. This wouldn't be One Piece without a stupid, reckless and naive Luffy. One person said it already, OP lives because it shows the adventures of the crew. A time skip as a convenient way for them to become stronger seems just to Naruto for me =P

Black Lagoon
December 16, 2009, 07:20 PM
Yeah. Luffy will be in a coma and when he will wake up, his crew will be there. That's the timeskip. Thus, we will avoid the escape from MHQ (after Luffy and the others take Ace from the platform) and the crew's reunification.

I have to agree here, since this is the most logical IMO
(Oda should recognize it (remember our talk in the Mega Convo) :tem)

@ LoneLobo : I think 6 month would be to much, but Possible :(

neomaster121
December 17, 2009, 06:42 PM
IMO i think after taking a second dose of that vigour luffy is just going to be KO'd

Luffy may sleep through the entire timeskip and his crew slowly make their way back towards luffy

Robins in the east blue and even with help i doubt she can jump the red line

Nami is in skyipea but from the looks of the island it may not be an easy feat to just get down. she may have to build something which would take time

Choppers in the south blue
he needs to recover and hes on quite a primitive island, the birds does seem the type to help him just because he asks, and im not sure oda gonna have chopper just fly back to the grandline

Zoro and ussop are both in the grandline with 1 other person but their islands seem preety deserted
in fact Zoro may have to fight just to survive on his island and in his state who knows what could happen

sanji seems to have become a okama with no intent to leave so he might jsut stay there until he remembers why he needs to leave

Brookes and franky seem to be the only ones who could get back to SA quite quickly

though brookes might have to fight or maybe the musical notes he's writing will be enough to make the other tribe stop fighting

Franky could get seriously side tracked in vegapunks home learning new skills

to me Oda seems to have put them on islands where they could actually stay a couple of months/travel for months before the will reach SA

i myself think luffy will be out for about a year
But when he wakes up he'll look 20 (maybe oda wants a change after 10 years)

Jiggy-Ninja
December 17, 2009, 07:35 PM
IMO i think after taking a second dose of that vigour luffy is just going to be KO'd

Luffy may sleep through the entire timeskip and his crew slowly make their way back towards luffy

Robins in the east blue and even with help i doubt she can jump the red line

Nami is in skyipea but from the looks of the island it may not be an easy feat to just get down. she may have to build something which would take time

Choppers in the south blue
he needs to recover and hes on quite a primitive island, the birds does seem the type to help him just because he asks, and im not sure oda gonna have chopper just fly back to the grandline

Zoro and ussop are both in the grandline with 1 other person but their islands seem preety deserted
in fact Zoro may have to fight just to survive on his island and in his state who knows what could happen

sanji seems to have become a okama with no intent to leave so he might jsut stay there until he remembers why he needs to leave

Brookes and franky seem to be the only ones who could get back to SA quite quickly

though brookes might have to fight or maybe the musical notes he's writing will be enough to make the other tribe stop fighting

Franky could get seriously side tracked in vegapunks home learning new skills

to me Oda seems to have put them on islands where they could actually stay a couple of months/travel for months before the will reach SA

i myself think luffy will be out for about a year
But when he wakes up he'll look 20 (maybe oda wants a change after 10 years)
Robin and Chopper probably aren't as far from Shabondy as you think. I personally think that they are just on the other side of the Calm Belt, and not in some remote location, like smack in the middle of their seas.

Nami might be on a Sky Island, but it doesn't look that difficult to get off of.

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/555/01/

Yo can see that they are on the ground here conducting business, and there's a small hot air balloon-like contraption right behind them.

For the other crew members, it's anybody's guess how it'll work out.

I'm with everyone else in thinking that Luffy will need a huge recovery period after this war. Iva said that even one dose of Tension Hormones produces nasty side effects, and Luffy took two. I don't think that Iva faked giving him some.

vagabond87
December 18, 2009, 07:26 AM
Hoping that we will not see time skip for everyone(like in naruto)- only for Luffy- when he is in coma.
While he recovering Oda can show us how every straw hat member tries to reunite with the rest of the crew- arc about their way back. Luffy rushed a little to much for his crew thru the grand line. That "time skip" will help them to keep up with him.
Zoro for example needed time for recovery from the state he was after fight with kuma but he did not have it because Luffy did not want to stay in one place to long, especially when they were so close to new world. Kuma seen that and thats why he teleported them so far away but still not to new world- to some areas easier for them. They are clearly improving their skills and recovering with smaller risk to lose their lives comparing to new world areas.I want to see older version of Luffy- after effect of using to much hormon boost in a little faster aging.Not much older in therms of years but in therms of look.

Akainu
December 18, 2009, 06:07 PM
Apparently Oda repeated the information that started this all in a second interview, which strongly indicates an incident in the manga! source (http://apforums.net/showpost.php?p=1402234&postcount=1)
This is going to be very strange - I hope if a timeskip will take place, One Piece does not. That would be even worse than a timeskip itself

Naruffy
December 18, 2009, 07:28 PM
Apparently Oda repeated the information that started this all in a second interview, which strongly indicates an incident in the manga! source (http://apforums.net/showpost.php?p=1402234&postcount=1)
This is going to be very strange - I hope if a timeskip will take place, One Piece does not. That would be even worse than a timeskip itself

For all those who hate this arc, stay tuned, cos something big is gonna happen at the end of it.

WinningDays
December 18, 2009, 08:45 PM

Ohmygosh!
How exciting!
I don't know why though...:oh

I wouldn't mind a time skip or an anything...
If Oda if willing to mention it like this it must be something good.

I was thinking he meant the movie, but I guess that means the movie's after the current arc...
hmm...
Ohmygosh though...
I can't wait...

Naruffy
December 18, 2009, 09:37 PM
I just realised something, didn't Blackbeard say that he'd do something that would shake the world? Maybe this has something to do with Oda's big event and Luffy's coming of age? (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/544/15/)

Tobi Uchiha
December 19, 2009, 09:16 AM
I just realised something, didn't Blackbeard say that he'd do something that would shake the world? Maybe this has something to do with Oda's big event and Luffy's coming of age? (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/544/15/)

and what would that be? BB finding a magic wand and turning luffy abracadabra in a 20 years old? i think it is something else BB was talking about

Naruffy
December 19, 2009, 10:55 AM
and what would that be? BB finding a magic wand and turning luffy abracadabra in a 20 years old? i think it is something else BB was talking about

How would I know, Oda's unpredictable. BB said that he'd shake the world in a few hours, so I expect him to do something soon.

OunknownO
December 19, 2009, 02:30 PM
I don't want a time skip.... It would probably lose one piece charm

Drmke
December 19, 2009, 02:35 PM
I don't want a time skip.... It would probably lose one piece charm

It could just be a small time skip or just a time skip for Luffy while showing the crews adventures for awhile. Its still too mysterious to be upset or happy about it yet.

panasit
December 19, 2009, 10:45 PM
People naturally are against change. If Oda had hinted that the crew would get separated long before it happened, the reaction would be quite negative, and let's face it, when it actually happened people won't be as shocked. I was extremely shocked (I thought only Zorro was the only one going to get separated and they'd be doing a finding Zorro arc, boy was I wrong).

I think there is something big behind the time skip. Both One Piece and Naruto are good at shocking us with one surprise after another (they end every 18 pages chapter with a tiny one anyway). It's not like in Amazing Spiderman or X-Men where they tell us what's going to happen before it happens and then you watch it unfold.

With that in mind, if Oda tells us about the time skip, may be what's going to happen is so unexpected it will make the time skip seems small in comparison to it.

kkck
December 20, 2009, 03:49 AM

I think BB simply wants either information from a prisoner or release every level 6 prisoner and take them to the war. The level 6 prisoners are severely powerful dudes who might only have a match among the top NW captains or shichibukai from what we know. Or maybe he just wants to release a single specific prisoner. I guess it could go as far as going to a super secret level 7 lol. In any case, such a thing would indeed shake the world to its very core.

k-dom
December 20, 2009, 06:30 PM
If there is a time skip, it has to be several years. What the point of having a 3 monthes gap?
What puzzle me more is, can a time skip indicate that the crew is complete ? It would be weird to add some people who didn't pass it.

chess4
December 20, 2009, 06:56 PM
i think luffy's body will just age 10 years

Bugzee
December 20, 2009, 08:01 PM
Yep, I think its a time-skip. It makes sense considering whats going on at present in this war, BB's intentions, the 3 powers changing, the SH members all scattered.

BB will defintely be announced as a Yonkou imo in the near future.

chess4
December 20, 2009, 08:14 PM
Yep, I think its a time-skip. It makes sense considering whats going on at present in this war, BB's intentions, the 3 powers changing, the SH members all scattered.

BB will defintely be announced as a Yonkou imo in the near future.
BB's crew is not yonkou worthy considering what we have seen from WB's crew.

winterwyrm
December 20, 2009, 11:19 PM
BB's crew is not yonkou worthy considering what we have seen from WB's crew.

Perhaps they will eat devils' fruits stored on level 6 of impel down?

Who knows what is locked away in the wg's most secure fortress, and from what we have seen, most of KH's crew aren't DF users, probably just lafitte and KH himself.

Additionally, they will probably be majorly upgraded, I haven't noticed a new ship since their old one was destroyed, and maybe with shiryuu, the others mentioned, and the fodder prisoners including the two giants all riding on "great battleship San Juan Wolf" he would have a crew worthy of the yonku title, every single one a murderer.

Fox666
December 20, 2009, 11:31 PM
I do believe that Impel Down prisonears from level 6 united could match a Yonkou...

Franckie
December 21, 2009, 01:18 AM
Apparently Oda has changed his mind about having the ages of the crew remain static for the remainder of the series. Interesting. I wonder how much time Oda plans on passing within the OP world. I'd guess a couple years at most if you take Brooke's statement about sailing around the world into account.

Foxdie
December 21, 2009, 09:26 AM
Maybe Oda actually is planning to make a new Luffy in the incoming chapters..
I mean since Luffy now is 17, maybe after this hormones feeding by Evanakov, I think he would become 27 years old Luffy.
I know, It's a surprise and strong step in one piece's world, but who knows.
So finally, he will get along with Hancock (25-26-27 years old) I guess. :eyeroll

Drmke
December 21, 2009, 11:24 AM
Maybe Oda actually is planning to make a new Luffy in the incoming chapters..
I mean since Luffy now is 17, maybe after this hormones feeding by Evanakov, I think he would become 27 years old Luffy.
I know, It's a surprise and strong step in one piece's world, but who knows.
So finally, he will get along with Hancock (25-26-27 years old) I guess. :eyeroll

Even if the hormones (which I'm doubting Iva even injected into him that last time) did make him appear 27, he would still be 17 years old. So I'm doubting this scenario.

Bludvein
December 21, 2009, 02:12 PM
Luffy's body aging 10 years is about the dumbest theory I've ever seen come onto the OP boards. Luffy with the same mentality with a 27 yr. old body would be plain stupid.

Besides, Luffy's body's state has nothing to do with his age. Even if he has a 27 year old body he would still be 17.

Ivankov was obviously referring to 10 years off his longevity, and i don't see how you could mix it up.

zagorka
December 21, 2009, 03:57 PM
Luffy's body aging 10 years is about the dumbest theory I've ever seen come onto the OP boards. Luffy with the same mentality with a 27 yr. old body would be plain stupid.Well, I've proposed the idea before that he would age a bit. Whether it actually shows him aging exactly 10 years, who knows... , but I wouldn't mind it. Remember what Oda said. "Watch this over and over again for it is the last time he will be 17 (or something like that)". This is not something that is simply said plainly to assert that he's turning 18. There has to be (arguably) something more here. Otherwise, why would he say what he said the way he did? It seems to have more meaning that many are willing to acknowledge. Aging is not really a terrible idea... In fact, if Roger was a lot like Luffy (as has been implied a few times), then we can assume that even if Luffy does age, that wouldn't really change much. We've seen older men act foolish/reckless/young just as well. Him aging isn't a terrible idea. I think it's just that many aren't ready for an idea like this. If Oda does age him, I'm sure he'll do it in a way so it won't be too much of a drastic change. Plus, this sort of solidifies Luffy's path towards a dangerous path, in which he may very well die by the end of the manga after accomplishing his goals. The way he's going, it certainly seems like this will happen.

Besides, Luffy's body's state has nothing to do with his age. Even if he has a 27 year old body he would still be 17.

Ivankov was obviously referring to 10 years off his longevity, and i don't see how you could mix it up.Now it's either that he'll age rapidly, or there will be some sort of a time-skip, where he ages naturally. Of course, if Luffy does age 10 years, he'd still be 17, but Oda may be referring to the way his appearance is as a 17 year old, without revealing too much of what he plans to do. And, yes, I've also considered the possibility of Iva stating that Luffy plainly just won't live as long as he would have, but that doesn't make sense, being that his body went through the rapid process of healing itself. What this means is that his body created and destroyed cells that would have been created over 10 years of his life and therefore the possibility of him aging because of this rapid process of healing is greater than him just losing 10 years off his longevity.

Gcat88
December 21, 2009, 05:41 PM
i am happy to see that the characters are aging. i actually hope to see in the future we will notice the characters that have shown to age.

Googlez_kun
December 21, 2009, 06:18 PM
i hope the manga will not change after the time-skip in the way naruto did

in other words: i hope it will not become worse after the time-skip

chess4
December 21, 2009, 06:24 PM
Luffy's body aging 10 years is about the dumbest theory I've ever seen come onto the OP boards. Luffy with the same mentality with a 27 yr. old body would be plain stupid.

Ivankov was obviously referring to 10 years off his longevity, and i don't see how you could mix it up.

luffy's body would be in its prime, and his haki would be stronger. if there isa timeskip im very interested on how oda will do it. it would be cool to see the strawhats 3 years older

bittman
December 22, 2009, 01:43 AM
Still think most of you are going wayyyy too far with a timeskip. If Oda skips anymore than a year ahead he's basically said "Well look, I made this plot setting and all these awesome characters, but then I thought I should redesign everyone to look older and then change everything I've told you about. Then I'm going to have the Strawhat's just go on holidays or something for a few years and grow very very slowly compared to the rate of growth you've all come to enjoy. Then I can spend the next 100 chapters showing off their new moves that are usually developed halfway through an arc, but this time they spent xxxx years learning so it will feel more impressive.

Oh, and I'll make Ussop with a six pack, Zoro with fifteen swords, Franky made out of seastone and Bon Clay will return alive with an evolved devil fruit which now lets him copy devil fruits as well as appearances."

Point is: A large timeskip ruins a lot of the current plot setting. The main things that people struggled with after the Naruto timeskip was that it was arbitrary and somehow nothing had really changed (except some girls got breasts and some people got ranks of no importance).

Ask yourselves this: If Oda timeskipped years ahead, how will he possibly justify the obvious lack of motivation the Strawhats had coming back together with each other or that Luffy's rivals are probably already sitting around doing nothing around Raftel just waiting for him to appear for some reason.

And how can he do it without making Luffy's dramatic rise to notoriety now appear slow? Don't point to Roger doing it in 3 years, Roger's not our main character. Heck, One Piece will most likely end on some sort of note saying Luffy is 10x more awesome than Roger. Can't really do that if he goes to sleep for 10 years just to grow a moustache and meet all the admirals again who, would by then, be as old as Garp is now.

zagorka
December 22, 2009, 05:13 AM
I agree. Any time-skip greater than say... 5-6 months, would leave a huge gap in the story-line. And there's nothing that grants a time-skip greater than 5-6 months at this point. It isn't like Naruto, where the enemy had to prepare for 3 years... A time-skip would only occur to somehow skip over the amount of time Luffy would be out of it after the war is over, and possibly with little training time. But that's it. A small time-skip could work great after the war, where Luffy just recuperates, and while he recuperates, the SH's find each other once again in some manner, and Luffy trains a little with Haki (maybe). All of this can happen within 5-6 months or less. But again, this can't be what Oda was referring to in my opinion. There has to be another drastic change, and that is Luffy aging in some way.

Zeltrax
December 22, 2009, 05:46 AM
time-skip can die.
dragon ball fails so badly due to it.
one piece is longer than dbz.
so theres no need for that, maybe after this arc luffy will become 18.
thus the reasoning.
or maybe he'll die, cos of the hormones.
nah, then one piece will end...
Uh, anyway, time skip is bad.

ScratchmenApoo
December 22, 2009, 07:09 AM
Hmm...
Maybe Luffy will be so damaged from the war, that it will take a long time for him to heal. And during that time, Oda would focus on the other strawhats and how they make their way back to Shabaody Archipelago. It would be a perfect balance since most of the story so far has revolved around Luffy and sharing the stories of other strawhats would be very entertaining.
Still, I am not sure how to take it. Oda hasn't shown people's ages a lot so I don't think it will just be a number change from 17 to 18 (or more). I think it's more of a mental/spiritual way of becoming an adult.

beastboy
December 22, 2009, 12:43 PM
Well Oda did say that after a big battle always comes a huge party!!
So after a huge battle its needed an ENORMOUSLY HUGE party to celebrate, and whats better than a birthday + re-encounter party!! together with WB pirates and allys!

(And I don't think WB will die..)

Super Angillis
December 22, 2009, 06:20 PM
Oda's making Luffy 18 so it'll be okay for Hancock to jump him. Well maybe. But I don't think we'll see a long time skip. Luffy might be out of it (uncouncious) for, say a few weeks to a month, maybe being taken care of by Boa Hancock or Ivanakov. Once he wakes up, it'll be time to get back to the crew, and as long as they all have Reilieghs Vivirecards it won't be hard to find each other.

zagorka
January 02, 2010, 10:59 AM
If Luffy ages, I'd imagine he'd look like this. I drew this image pretty quickly. Personally I'd welcome the idea of him aging.

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/1537/agedluffy.png

jamjamstyle
January 02, 2010, 11:09 AM
^ I imagine him more to be like this.. in a more mature form:

http://i50.tinypic.com/34441u1.jpg

hdiuy
January 02, 2010, 11:48 AM

That's some freaking amazing art. Though i think Luffy will still retain his silliness look even when he grows older.

OunknownO
January 02, 2010, 01:44 PM

that's not oda style, it looks more like bleach

RichardMNixon
January 02, 2010, 02:33 PM
Yeah, it is very well drawn, but too bishounen for one piece.

ScratchmenApoo
January 02, 2010, 05:11 PM
When Luffy ages, he would look a lot like Shanks... well according to Romance Dawn Pilot Chapter.. http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/0/51/
But that would only be after more than just a year or two.

NoLimit89
January 03, 2010, 07:41 AM
that's not oda style, it looks more like bleach

Nah, that looks like Sasuke or something.

chess4
January 03, 2010, 08:52 AM
i kinda hope luff doent get older. the bond that he and usopp share, and how the 2 of them acting crazy together is one of the best parts of the series.

jamjamstyle
January 03, 2010, 04:28 PM
Here's a other version of a more mature Luffy and not bishounen style:

http://i47.tinypic.com/2nw0dmr.jpg

Credit announcerguy

Think you guys would like this more perhaps?

zagorka
January 03, 2010, 04:30 PM
It doesn't necessarily have to end if Luffy ages, especially if there is a small time-skip that goes with it, (4-5 months maybe?) where the other SH's may also grow in some manner. Both Sanji and Zoro are already adult "looking" anyways. Brooke, and Frankie are also older, yet they act goofy as well. Ussop will change as well I'm sure. Chopper... who knows. He'll retain his cuteness I guess. But I don't think the goofiness will not stop or any of the comedic relief that we're used to. In fact, I think it would be just as funny to see an older-looking, immature Luffy.

jamjamstyle
January 03, 2010, 09:08 PM
time skip = death of quality of manga

That judgement is supposed to be based on facts? :blink

It worked perfect in Dragonball and i'm sure that Oda would be able to pull it off if he had a timeskip in mind. I've no idea why some of you are worrying this much while Oda's One Piece never dropped in quality.

Lord Rayleigh
January 04, 2010, 02:36 PM
Here's a other version of a more mature Luffy and not bishounen style:

http://i47.tinypic.com/2nw0dmr.jpg

Credit announcerguy

Think you guys would like this more perhaps?

This guy is an incredible artist, especially with this picture. Zoro, Chopper, Usopp, Franky and Luffy older are just crazy. But I must admit I do not like Sanji's goatee at all.

OunknownO
January 05, 2010, 07:45 AM
can you give the link for entire picture?

jamjamstyle
January 05, 2010, 12:14 PM
@L.Rayleigh; the artist is a woman but i understand that people misunderstand with such a artist name XD

Full picture:

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs40/f/2009/005/0/4/Onward_by_AnnouncerGuy.png

Googlez_kun
January 05, 2010, 12:17 PM
ugh,they look weird o__o

Brook looks cool,but the rest ô_o

chess4
January 05, 2010, 12:57 PM
lol.............sanji loks like a fruit

Poneglyph420
January 05, 2010, 01:25 PM
@L.Rayleigh; the artist is a woman but i understand that people misunderstand with such a artist name XD

Full picture:

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs40/f/2009/005/0/4/Onward_by_AnnouncerGuy.png

That's amazing work. Even if it challenges the vision I might of had in my head... It's well done and plausible. Cheers!!

I Like Usopp and Robin the best!!!!

kkck
January 05, 2010, 04:01 PM
I can't imagine how an older luffy would look like. He looks a lot like roger, ace, garp and shanks so it is kinda hard to imagine IMHO. It would be cool if he looks more like dragon though.

JPD
January 07, 2010, 02:30 PM
I see Luffy´s aging more like a stating point.
Just a little background. My ancestor used to say that a male should prepare for two important moments in life, the day you become a man and the day you become part of the cosmos. Let's focus on the man part. From one day to another the gods all the understanding of what a man is or how to behave, it's something you progressively learn to deal with. For me Luffy needs to learn 2 things. One, not just rush but to understand your enemy (a thing he have just done twice, Crocodile and Aokiji). An two, to trust more on the power of his friends (not abilities but strength).
Maybe is the beginning for Luffy to develop better ways to fight enemies because after 10+ year of reading "Gomu Gomu no Pistol" it can really get old.

Foxdie
January 08, 2010, 08:42 AM
Maybe we will see later, a new one piece, you know just like naruto & naruto shippuden .. with a new age difference for Luffy's character.

Googlez_kun
January 08, 2010, 11:41 AM
Maybe we will see later, a new one piece, you know just like naruto & naruto shippuden .. with a new age difference for Luffy's character.

there is no new Naruto
the manga was always the same,only that there was a time-skip,nothing more
only the anime devides between Naruto and Naruto Shippuuden

and a big time-skip wouldn't be that good,looking at what it has done to Naruto

chess4
January 08, 2010, 11:54 AM
there has to be a timeskip of some sorts. i just cant see a 17 year old and relatively young crew stand at the top of the pirate world.

Darkever
January 08, 2010, 12:33 PM
Oda won't timeskip, and he won't show us character trainings. He's too good to resolve to something so boring. Timeskip are used to avoid times of peace, and after WB's death I doubt there will be peace... quite the opposite, probably. Also, One Piece characters DO NOT TRAIN to learn their new techniques (except Zoro), so there's no reason to make time pass like that.

Btw, imo timeskips can be fine if used correctly. We all think they're absolutely bad because we have Naruto as master example of timeskip-failure (after 3 years of training you should be GOD and know tons of jutsus, not just getting a little better on what you already knew, damnittt!). Well, that is only one of Kishimoto's failures, btw...

Straw.Hat Luffy
January 08, 2010, 01:24 PM
A timeskip won't hurt anyone. I was really thinking how will the StrawHats meet again, cause they are in dif. oceans, and by Ship some of them will probably get to Shabondy in months...

Foxdie
January 08, 2010, 03:13 PM
A timeskip won't hurt anyone. I was really thinking how will the StrawHats meet again, cause they are in dif. oceans, and by Ship some of them will probably get to Shabondy in months...

To tell the truth .. you are right.
It will take months for sure ..
Oda didn't give us any hint about Usopp, Zoro, Sanji, Nami, Franky & Brook, how they will go back to Shabondy?
Usopp now is fat, but do you think he will go back to Shabondy with this weight :blink? of course not .. and everyone should knew that.
the same with the new OKAMA Sanji, Cyborg Franky (or let me say Pashifista Franky)
& the same with lost guys like Zoro, Nami & Brook ..

Unlike Robin & Chopper, thay have the transportation like the big birds (in Chopper's case) & the Revolutionary army (in Robin's case)

Mr.Popo
January 10, 2010, 01:17 PM
What i think about Luffy's last adventure as a 17 year old:

1) It means the obvious: Luffy will not be 17 anymore.
2) Strong world takes place AFTER this arc. Otherwise the second interview won't make sense.

Now what i think about a timeskips:

One Piece is full of small timeskips (between every adventure), so when we talk about a timeskip it should mean at least one year or more.

1) One Piece is a SHOUNEN manga and the main characters are already rather old for this category, so a big timeskip of (lets say) 10 years is pretty much impossible.
2) A mentionable timeskip means Oda is exchanging ALL characters and the whole scenario! Younger characters change more than older over time and the setting after a big war like this should also be quite different. (Please don't mention Naruto and his "timeskip")

Conclusion:

I don't like big timeskips. Rightly done they change everything. But a (snall) timeskip could be necessary to settle things after the war, so that the reader just sees the full blown consequences.

A few months won't harm, everything else is to be seen. And Luffy just celebrating his 18th birthsday is still a possibility (though no reason to watch the movie all over again apart from Oda earning more money).

deffkryz
January 10, 2010, 01:25 PM
It will take months for sure

Well Kuma has sent them flying for three days - and within that radius he sent them into the East Blue (Robin), South Blue (Chopper), the Grand Line (Franky, Sanji, Usopp, Brook and Zoro) and Sky Islands (Nami)... No one got to the North or West Blue nor the New World, so they didn't get past the Red Line.

Look where Luffy went within the last week: Spent one or two days on Amazon Lily. It took four days From Amazon Lily to Impel Down, from Level 1 to Level 6 and back he took 2 days at maximum. And then got to Marine HQ within hours. Those are great distances and there really are fast vehicles out there. And I'm pretty sure that every Mugiwara met someone who's able to get them from where they are now back to Sabaody it that very same time that Luffy took to get from Amazon Lily to Marineford.

I'm pretty confident that they either are on their way back or already have been at Sabaody... I wonder why Oda hasn't shown Rayleigh, Hatchan etc. on that broadcast but only the Rookies... But a bigger timeskip than a couple of days (just like between major arcs) is out of question.

I just guess it's Luffy's birthday within the next chapters...

Fox666
January 12, 2010, 12:02 AM
I'm pretty confident that they either are on their way back or already have been at Sabaody... I wonder why Oda hasn't shown Rayleigh, Hatchan etc. on that broadcast but only the Rookies... But a bigger timeskip than a couple of days (just like between major arcs) is out of question.Phew, Garp was going after Rayleigh... and also Rayleigh was left with an Admiral, a Shichibukai and plenty Pacifistas...

Razh
January 12, 2010, 06:08 AM
Phew, Garp was going after Rayleigh... and also Rayleigh was left with an Admiral, a Shichibukai and plenty Pacifistas...

Same as Supernovas, and they haven't been captured. Rayleigh should be stronger than all of them.

I don't think there will be some big time skip. Oda is known for his jokes. So, when he says that it will be Luffy's last adventure as a 17 year old, it probably means that May 5th is coming up in manga time line, and Luffy will turn 18.

Grizzin Farl
January 12, 2010, 07:29 AM
2) Strong world takes place AFTER this arc. Otherwise the second interview won't make sense.

I doubt that.
Fact is: We've seen Whitebeard, Garp, Sengoku and some other charackters, which are involved in the war at Marineford, in Strong World. (With that i want to say, that i can't see everybody will survive that war)
My guess is, that we, like always, can't put this Movie into a timline of the Manga. If you could, why, and how, could the Strawhats defeat Shiki at a level like they are now - on SA they had a hard job with just one Fake-Kuma.
Shiki got caught by Sengoku and Garp. The Fight between those three brought chaos to Marineford, which means Shiki was a cold-heart Bastard with immense strengh. Can't see the Strawhats dealing with Shiki - even if he lost strengh. Not now, and not in the next 3-4 years in our time (maybe shorter with a larger time skip).

We just can't put the Movie into a timeline. It was a great one. The best in my opinion.

And to the time skip: I'd like to see one. Luffy and the others are way too young. I'd have liked it better, if Oda did larger time skips between the arcs and they were aged without a bigger time skip, which isn't for sure coming. I guess no one, or maybe not so many, would yell and cry, if Luffy would be 19 or 20 now. If they just needed 2-3 years to cross the first half of the Grand Line.

But well, we'll see.

Mr.Popo
January 12, 2010, 09:43 AM
My guess is, that we, like always, can't put this Movie into a timline of the Manga. If you could, why, and how, could the Strawhats defeat Shiki at a level like they are now - on SA they had a hard job with just one Fake-Kuma.
Shiki got caught by Sengoku and Garp. The Fight between those three brought chaos to Marineford, which means Shiki was a cold-heart Bastard with immense strengh. Can't see the Strawhats dealing with Shiki - even if he lost strengh. Not now, and not in the next 3-4 years in our time (maybe shorter with a larger time skip).
I did not see the movie, but didn't they deal with Shiki there, with Luffy still beeing 17?
And i said Strong world take place after the war and after the SHs are reunited. There could be some powerups.

We just can't put the Movie into a timeline. It was a great one. The best in my opinion.
I'm using this statement from Oda:

And as far as something that will hold true for both the comic and the anime, this will be Luffy's last adventure as a 17 year-old.
Meaning: Oda uses some sort of timeline, so either the movie comes after the war, or Luffy is not 17 anymore.

And to the time skip: I'd like to see one. Luffy and the others are way too young.
This is a shounen manga, but...

I'd have liked it better, if Oda did larger time skips between the arcs and they were aged without a bigger time skip,
... i totally agree with you. I would have liked that more either.

Grizzin Farl
January 12, 2010, 10:46 AM
I did not see the movie, but didn't they deal with Shiki there, with Luffy still beeing 17?
And i said Strong world take place after the war and after the SHs are reunited. There could be some powerups.

Yes. And that's the problem. I can't see them dealing with Shiki at the moment, neither in the next 3 years without a time skip after Marineford.
Let me explain: Luffy is 17 in the movie. I also think, that Luffy is 17 at Marineford at the moment. Shiki was/is a huge charackter, with big strengh and a big armada. He wanted to deal with Gol D. Roger and Rogers pirates were feared, okay, Buggy was, but i guess not without reason. Meaning that the Strawhats would need a reaaal huge powerup to deal with him. And, in my opinion, this don't come in the next years without a larger time skip.
So i guess that the movie isn't really fitting in the timeline. My point of view.

Wrath
January 14, 2010, 09:45 PM
My personal theory* that I came up with earlier today is that the current arc will end with Luffy being declared dead by the WG after his body finally gives out from its repeated strains, then there will be a period in which he is secretly nursed back to health, allowing the rest of the crew to finish their solo adventures.

* Essentially it comes down to the fact that logically, Luffy's bounty should skyrocket based on the events of this arc, but that would make the SH bounties totally insignificant compared to his, because they can't possibly be doing more important or public acts of piracy. Therefore there has to be something that keeps Luffy's bounty from changing, which would either be his capture or his death. His capture would be pointless because we're in the middle of a prison break/rescue arc already, which leaves him as being believed dead by the public/WG.

Dice
January 15, 2010, 06:39 PM
Yes. And that's the problem. I can't see them dealing with Shiki at the moment, neither in the next 3 years without a time skip after Marineford.
Let me explain: Luffy is 17 in the movie. I also think, that Luffy is 17 at Marineford at the moment. Shiki was/is a huge charackter, with big strengh and a big armada. He wanted to deal with Gol D. Roger and Rogers pirates were feared, okay, Buggy was, but i guess not without reason. Meaning that the Strawhats would need a reaaal huge powerup to deal with him. And, in my opinion, this don't come in the next years without a larger time skip.
So i guess that the movie isn't really fitting in the timeline. My point of view.

If the movie is absolutly not fitting into the time how can it be considered canon?

And while I didn't see the movie I guess it's still quite plausible to think that Shiki's indeed a lot lot weaker than he used to be. At least that was my guess until now. There are several reasons why I thought so: There's the natural aging and he laid low for around 20 years (I don't know if he trained or something but a least I thought he just chilled the 20 years and waited) and furthermore he lost his legs (though that could be a thing that actually makes him stronger).

And I don't really understand the argument that Luffy is too young. Roger conquered the Grand Line in three years and Luffy will probably beat his time. Sure, Roger was far older when he started his journey but who can say if he was already strong? My guess is that he was by far no pushover but he wasn't really strong either (how strong can you get by living in the weakest of all seas?).

The idea of a longer time between the journeys would be kinda nice, I got to agree.

I guess no one, or maybe not so many, would yell and cry, if Luffy would be 19 or 20 now.

While I wouldn't mind the simple fact that they are older I simply fail to see a good reason to justify such a long timeskip (and therefore Luffy and co. being older). I mean this journey is all about...well this journey. A standstill (like not going forward) is almost like a step backwards. What could be a really good reason to stay back for some years? Getting stronger? Could you imagine Luffy saying: "Well I think we are way to weak. I think we should stay here for some years. Or let's travel back and do the alternate routes of the grand line...we have enough time anyways."
Or could you imagine that there is a timeskip that goes right into the new world and we (the readers) miss a part of the journey or see at most flashbacks of this part of the journey?

I can't imagine any of that. Well actually in my opinion my c)-guess (take a look below) is more likely than the above scenarios. But maybe anyone of you could think of really good reason that justifies a timeskip in a manga in which the way is that important.

My guess is still that
a) Luffy just turns 18 and the 'birthdayproblem' is solved by all characters partying together and the reason why they never celebratet their birthdays until now is simple: the forgot it
b) A little timeskip, 5-6 months a maximum. Time for a reunion and a rest period for Luffy.
c) Some of the super novas join the war. One of them is Bonney and she does switch the age of some people (Luffy is one of them) and she later forgets to revert his age (assuming that her ability is permanant).

While I think that a) and b) have high chances I added c) because it's far to strange and because Oda sometimes pulls off something strange^^ :D

I'm sorry that I repeated a few things but it easily happens if a discussion goes on for some time^^

NoLimit89
January 15, 2010, 07:48 PM
I for one actually WANT a 10 year time skip. How can any of the new world pirates take a 17 year old seriously? I don't care that he has the King's Haki, the fact of the matter is, Luffy is still a smallfry. A 17-20 year old pirate king? PAH-LEEEZE.

Dice
January 15, 2010, 09:36 PM
And how would you explain such a time skip? I mean there must be a explanation, a reason for this and you should not forget that it must be a reason that also fits in Luffy's way of thinking.
For me it's not about the age but about the achievement of somebody. The only reason to not take him serious at first would be his personality which doesn't need to change at all if he ages.
Furthermore would this taken serious problem not exist since the very beginning? If your takling about the new world pirates that could not take a seventeen year old serious it sounds almost like there would be an age restriction:
Grandline : 12 years and older
New World: 25 years and older

Don't misunderstand me. That should not offend you I'm just joking a little bit^^

NoLimit89
January 15, 2010, 10:56 PM
You're making it seem like as if there's no possible explanations for timeskips.

There's so many possible reasons for a timeskip.

- Luffy needs time for his body to heal/side effect from Iva hormones.
- Luffy needs time to train/pass New World pirate's tests
- Luffy needs time to reunite with his crew
- Luffy taken to meet his dad and gain experience

etc etc...

Oda can pick any of those reasons or make up some other reasons.

So many people can even facilitate this time skip. Rayleigh, Dragon, Ace, Whitebeard, Shanks, Iva, New World Pirates/Captains, Dandan, Garp etc etc ...

there's plenty of options.

deffkryz
January 16, 2010, 09:57 AM
I for one actually WANT a 10 year time skip. How can any of the new world pirates take a 17 year old seriously? I don't care that he has the King's Haki, the fact of the matter is, Luffy is still a smallfry. A 17-20 year old pirate king? PAH-LEEEZE.

They take him serious because of what he's doing and because of his ambition. Age doesn't count - the same truth as a 30 Million Berry bounty doesn't count when you enter the Grand Line.

17/18 years is a perfect age for a leading character in a Shounen manga - to be considered rather old. Naruto is younger (15-16 in Shippuuden) ... Ichigo is younger (16) ...

Making Luffy 27 would make him much too old for such an adventure. Within those ten years even he would have matured in a certain way - making him just look older and behave the same as before the skip would make that timeskip ridiculous.

You're making it seem like as if there's no possible explanations for timeskips.

There's only one possible explanation for a timeskip. Oda wants to put one into the story. And after the Jump Festa statement that he was eager to show Fishmen's Island I highly doubt that there'll be a timeskip.

He slept three days after Enies Lobby... So he should be back up after sleeping for a week or two...

Arriving the scaffold is already that test... There's no time to train for it on the next twenty meters.

Everyone of the Mugiwaras met with someone on their different islands, most probably someone that is insanely strong (like Hancock) and is most probably able to give them a ride back to the GL and Sabaody.

Since I can't see that Luffy actually listens to his dad that much and changes afterwards his way of life... You really want that to be put this event into a timeskip?! :blink

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Dragon showed up after this war and helped his son out of his fatigue...

To tell it in a blunt way: None of those reasons was able to convince me. Not that I was Oda but if he were to use one of those ones, he could let his manga end like Romance Down (the Silk version).

Big timeskips that are bigger than 2 weeks just don't feel right after such a huge event.

Actually... No. The biggest reasons against a time skip are:

After Whitebeard's most probable death, the world will change - many characters that we know or not yet will try to make themselves a big name. Those are big times with big opportunities - a great adventure. And as a story teller, I'm sure Oda doesn't want to miss that opportunity: He waited many years for how to bring Brook into the story - a timeskip would be just... cheap. Especially when you realise, that due to this line of the interview we're actually talking about, Oda literally states that only less than a year has passed since Luffy left his home to become a pirate.

How would a timeskip fit into such a dense story?

Dice
January 16, 2010, 11:21 AM

etc etc...

So many people can even facilitate this time skip. Rayleigh, Dragon, Ace, Whitebeard, Shanks, Iva, New World Pirates/Captains, Dandan, Garp etc etc ...

Well some of these could work but only for a short timeskip. I don't think it would take years to reunite or to heal.

Big timeskips that are bigger than 2 weeks just don't feel right after such a huge event.

I wouldn't mind a quite short timeskip but anything more than 5-6 months would be a stretch in a such a story. 2-4 months seems reasonable so that the SH can reunite and Luffy can heal. The events that took place after the war could be explained in flashbacks.
Actually I anticipate a little timeskip like that. It would fit perfectly into the story I think if it's not to long. Healing and reuniting is a good reason to not go forward in the journey but training wouldn't be.
Furthermore it would be a good way to let all the big fishes fight with their full force without reveiling to much to us readers. Just imagine Luffy rescuing Ace and right after that he gets unconscious. Some time later he wakes up. For Luffy that will be the first moment after he gout unconcious (for us readers to). He will be healed and see his crew again. Than they tell him of the tide of events at Marineford. He will hear that Ace has been freed and WB's down and many things more.

Oblivion
January 16, 2010, 11:50 AM
17/18 years is a perfect age for a leading character in a Shounen manga - to be considered rather old. Naruto is younger (15-16 in Shippuuden) ... Ichigo is younger (16) ...

Well Dragonball characters grew much older and the first real timeskip (Goku visits God the first time) we had Goku even change his physics.

Dice
January 16, 2010, 12:19 PM
You're right about that. But im most shonen the hero is indeed pretty young and in Dragonball a timeskip works much better than in One Piece (at least I think so). In Dragonball the story isn't centered around a journey...well not in the true sence of it at least...more a journey to become strong. Therefore Goku trains hard.
One Piece is different. It's all about the journey and about the events occuring on these journey. I think it's kinda hard to find a real satisfying reason to stay back for a quite lone time (more than a few months). Luffy had to stop his journey for that time.
If by any chance Luffy's time to recover takes far longer than expected the other SH won't probablby get that stronger in that time. Can you imagine anyone of them training while Luffy is in coma (except Zoro :D)?

Fox666
January 16, 2010, 03:59 PM
I don't see why be scared of a timeskip. It won't change the series that much.

In Naruto, the timeskip main purpose was for storyline: Sasuke should be gone for a long time. It worked for powering up secondary characters (gennins), and the protagonist didn't developed in that time other than visual, the development works always at an training arc.

LongLiveOnePiece
January 16, 2010, 07:37 PM
aloha guys. check this link http://www.onepiecehq.com/content/monkey-d-luffy.html it contains luffy's birthdate. 5th of may.so it may not be such a big event that whole "luffy's last adventure as 17" it may as well mean that we passed that day ..however it's not very Odalike tbh :P....personally i wouldn't mind a time skip but i would like to see lufggy like that http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/0/51/ beardy ^^

Dice
January 16, 2010, 08:21 PM
I don't see why be scared of a timeskip. It won't change the series that much.

In Naruto, the timeskip main purpose was for storyline: Sasuke should be gone for a long time. It worked for powering up secondary characters (gennins), and the protagonist didn't developed in that time other than visual, the development works always at an training arc.

Well the main problem is simply the kind of developement through the story. In One Piece it's centered around the journey while it isn't in Naruto.
The problem in Naruto is that many think that he should be way stronger after three years but his progression was almost zero.

aloha guys. check this link http://www.onepiecehq.com/content/monkey-d-luffy.html it contains luffy's birthdate. 5th of may.so it may not be such a big event that whole "luffy's last adventure as 17" it may as well mean that we passed that day ..however it's not very Odalike tbh :P....personally i wouldn't mind a time skip but i would like to see lufggy like that http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/0/51/ beardy ^^

Yeah the birthday-thing is one of the big ideas at the moment. I could imagine a big timeskip at the end of the manga which shows Luffy like his old self of Romance Dawn with the difference that he is the pirate king.

tothx
January 17, 2010, 03:58 AM
It's strange that nobody has mentioned this yet. Even though were still going with the "17 year version" of luffy that doesnt mean he's still 17. The way he's drawn sure has gotten older since the first chapters, abs and muscles in general have gotten more sculpted time after time after time and he generally looks stronger now then he did at the start.

Though I'm very unsure about how I feel about the timeskip thing, but as others have said now would be a natural time. This arc ending and then having a few years where everybody gets back to the ship again. Though I hope it wont be too long, but 2 or 3 years wouldnt be an impossibility having Luffy return as a 19 to 21 year old.

zagorka
January 17, 2010, 06:39 AM
I don't know why when people hear "time-skip", they immediately think 2-3 years... For all we know there will be a short time-skip, the span of a few months/half a year, which can be enough for Luffy to turn 18/age/or whatever. A time-skip I think is needed for the Strawhats to re-unite. They are scattered all over the world right now, and it would literally take Luffy quite a while for them to regroup if we weren't given one. They have been separated for only a week so far. Not enough time in my opinion for them to become stronger. In a short time-skip they'll grow by leaps and bounds to show how ready they are for the New World.

OunknownO
January 21, 2010, 05:02 PM
I don't know why when people hear "time-skip", they immediately think 2-3 years... For all we know there will be a short time-skip, the span of a few months/half a year, which can be enough for Luffy to turn 18/age/or whatever. A time-skip I think is needed for the Strawhats to re-unite. They are scattered all over the world right now, and it would literally take Luffy quite a while for them to regroup if we weren't given one. They have been separated for only a week so far. Not enough time in my opinion for them to become stronger. In a short time-skip they'll grow by leaps and bounds to show how ready they are for the New World.

it will be a bigger time skip, they have to learn and train their new skills, and then travel to find luffy

Dice
January 21, 2010, 05:15 PM
And how much time would it take for them to refine their skills and travel back to Luffy? What will Luffy do in the meantime (assuming you really mean a bigger timeskip^^)?

deffkryz
January 21, 2010, 08:43 PM
Well Dragonball characters grew much older and the first real timeskip (Goku visits God the first time) we had Goku even change his physics.

Well, in that case you need to relativate IMO: Dragonball really had many timeskips already between the first two shown Tenkaichi Budokai. You can count three years between them each - in One Piece not even a year has passed so far.

Sure, that still does dismantle my overall argument - but:

Saiyajin don't grow that old unlike humans
Toriyama-sensei shifted to "the next generation" with even younger characters
Toriyama-sensei intended to let the series end with Gohan being still a teenager (so before Buu appeared) IIRC

So even with Goku ageing 20+ - there still were enough main characters aged less than 18 years. ;) And timeskips were part of the DB concept - they haven't been in One Piece yet.

I believe there will be a big timeskip of 10+ years, but it will come at the very end. But not a timeskip of more than a week within the next few chapters.

Fox666
January 21, 2010, 11:45 PM
Yeah, Goku with 12 years was like 6 years. And Vegeta still grow up at 30.

But Toryiama intender the series to end at Freeza saga, later at Cell saga. (seriously, if Goku had died in Namek it would be an wonderfull epic ending)

It's strange that nobody has mentioned this yet. Even though were still going with the "17 year version" of luffy that doesnt mean he's still 17. The way he's drawn sure has gotten older since the first chapters, abs and muscles in general have gotten more sculpted time after time after time and he generally looks stronger now then he did at the start.Actually that was the style that changed. Chopper, in the other hand, is now smaller.

WinningDays
January 29, 2010, 02:04 AM
Well, the war arc is coming to an end (I think)...so we'll probably get to see what this whole thing is about soon, but in the mean time...
I was looking through the Red Data Book and I saw this...!
http://media4.mangahelpers.com/download/manga-images/2ab7436eddc4bc17a4ec86ab33c5c7b4/4b6284e8/10968/136/136.png
or http://mangahelpers.com/downloads/read-online/10968/136 (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/../downloads/read-online/10968/136)

It's adult Luffy!:o Well, you can't see his face, but it's him! I thought it was Shanks at first.... The crew is totally different but Nami doesn't look that old so maybe they're only like in their early 20's...
It's Romance Dawn instead of OP though... But this is the origin of it all...
On the next page Oda said that even he doesn't know if the One Piece Luffy will ever get to that stage, but this is from December 2001...

Anyways, for now, I think Luffy's just turning 18, or maybe there'll be a small time skip, but I thought this was nice. There's no way Luffy would age that much all of a sudden and I don't think it's going to skip that much, but I guess he really can't be 17 forever and maybe he'll look like this towards or at the end of OP.
http://mangahelpers.com/downloads/read-online/10968/136

panasit
January 29, 2010, 04:29 AM
I think Luffy will appear younger. I stand by this hypothesis that probably will not happen but I still think that is one possibility.

givensp
February 01, 2010, 07:38 PM
I think it will be about a couple weeks to a month

NoLimit89
February 01, 2010, 08:20 PM
I wanna see a 5-10 year time skip just so that everyone here can be QQing while I grin and continue reading OP.

Dice
February 02, 2010, 01:05 PM
If such a timeskip would make any sense I would still be d'accord but I can't think of any reason that would justify such a long timeskip ;)
But it's Oda so you never know...

TheBlackLotus
February 04, 2010, 03:59 PM
Like it's already been explained, a time skip would be logical and good in terms of plot device. The crew has been scattered and been improving their strength. It would be a good way for them all to meet again in a couple years somehow, but much stronger, maybe back at Shabondy with Rayleigh who is still in possession of the ship so they can go to Mermaid island and continue their journey.

On the more farfetched theories, Rayleigh could perhaps teach Luffy some things and have an off-screen training arc there (seeing as training arcs are not part of the OP world as we've seen) while the others also improve.

They can have a few chapters between the time skip just to give some page time to the other crew members and review the aftermath and what's been going on in the world for the next X years until they meet up again. After all, there's possibly a new era underway.

I'm sure i'm not the only one who noticed as well, but Luffy seems MUCH more serious now. His emotional level has increased ten-fold with the Ace and whitebeard arc we're going through.

tothx
February 09, 2010, 06:47 PM
Actually that was the style that changed. Chopper, in the other hand, is now smaller.

Style change or not, his abs still got more and more sculpted little by little. Moving Luffy further and further towards what Ace looks like, and visually showing that he's getting stronger.

Fox666
February 09, 2010, 11:10 PM
I also don't think he got more sculpted abs. He wasn't usually draw without his shirt... although some times when he punched you could see the muscles on his arms.

Look at Volume 11 (Logue Town). Even Usopp was muscular. One Piece protagonists are bodybuilders, just like Saiyans at Cell saga. =P

http://i2.tinypic.com/4l5af5l.jpg

Schabrak
February 10, 2010, 04:44 AM
Lysop isn't muscular, he's just so thin, that his muscles are shown. :P While we know that Luffy has trained when being young[Garp+training to go onto the jouney], you could asume, that he always had ribs, Zorro anyway, and Sanji was on the Baratje with people making ruckus and train his whole body for the leg moves.

A timeskip maybe, but only a couple of weeks at MOST! It seems like people forget all the other Supernova would gain a big advantage in the NW. While Luffy still can't really control his inner haki aura, he will never be such a weakling to have to relate on others to train him. Is'nt this arc showing, that he's on the right way, to gain control over it?

shubashi
February 10, 2010, 06:52 AM
Like it's already been explained, a time skip would be logical and good in terms of plot device. The crew has been scattered and been improving their strength. It would be a good way for them all to meet again in a couple years somehow, but much stronger, maybe back at Shabondy with Rayleigh who is still in possession of the ship so they can go to Mermaid island and continue their journey.

While a timeskip of a couple weeks/months makes sense, a timeskip of a couple years does not. It took the straw hats less than a year to travel half of the grand line, interruptions included. Why should it take a couple of years to reunite? To grow older? Age doesn't really matter in One Piece as you can clearly see with Brook and Zorro and other examples. So the strawhats don't have to grow old to make a difference. Hell, they declared war with 17 years. Why should they wait years to get to the new world?
I just don't see any good reasons.

Foxdie
April 02, 2010, 10:05 AM
Soruce: AP
Credit: Greg (http://apforums.net/showpost.php?p=1543519&postcount=215)
Verification: Confirmed

I was prepared to sign off the CW5 interview as one of the most boring and meandering interviews Oda has lead in the CW series, (just bbehind Amano), which is why I got bored halfway through and skimmed Oda's questions, avoiding discussion.

Last time I'll do that -_-

There's a teacher at school who I discuss OP with. He's a maniac-level fan like myself. Sometimes 30 minutes go by in the teacher's room and we'll still be talking about the most recent chapter. Anyway, he just got CW4 (the shitty stores around us barely stock it) and he texts me at 11 at night, 'DID YOU READ THE COLOR WALK INTERVIEW!?'

Of course I did.....right?

Apparently not. Upon closer inspection, Yanase throws a question back at Oda after discussing 'no matter how much time passes, the characters don't age or change'. Oda says he admires an author that can do that because he isn't sure how to do it himself.

He elaborates, he mentions that A CERTAIN SERIES (probably DB) that was influetial on him used a certain technique to help its characters change over short period of time and that he's been eager to do something similar for a long time and is almost ready to follow suit.

TIME-SKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-PUH

So it is true, Time-skip then .. :o:o but for how many years ?

Fayvren
April 06, 2010, 04:46 PM
The issue Oda faced was really the way the SH crews experience thus far compares to all the other characters and crews and how that impacts story telling. Shanks has been travelling for over ten years since he met Luffy in chapter 1. He and his crew were already apparently very formidable and dangerous pirates back then. Some of the most powerful pirates are still locked in a stalemate unable to progress further. One of my favorite aspects of the story is how many threads it has been able to weave and maintain consistency and logic in the OP world. Seeing the Red-Hair crew many years later with new looks as compared to how they were drawn originally isn't just a change in style, but represents how the voyage has changed each of them. In chapter 1 they looked like kids, much like the strawhats.

I love the way the main characters are currently and we all expect our heroes to overachieve. But I think it would do a disservice to how great the manga has been written to this point if by the end, Luffy and company accomplished in a short period what others had struggled to do for many years. All the "older" characters have undergone considerable transformation when you look at how theyre represented in flashbacks. It's not unreasonable to expect the same from the main crew. In many ways Luffy's journey should mirror that of Shanks.

One interesting thing about the last few arcs is basically how different the general tone has been. While the SH's have been defeated before between the Archipelago, Impel Down, and the latest chapter Luffy has faced a huge number of characters that he basically had no shot of winning against. I expect that Oda's plan leading up to this past chapter was to create a transformative event so that he could instill the same type of development as you saw with Shanks and his crew. With Ace's death and all the new foes it seems like the perfect pivot point to do something like this.

At some point whether its now or later the voyager should show its wear and tear on the characters. They should neither look the same nor act the same as they did when they started. It's most likely something that's very hard to draw gradually. It has less to do with how long it is and more a way to express how they developed. Whatever occurs I expect it won't just be 'training' but individual adventures that will be summarized quickly.

As for the genre being Shonen... sure the audience is supposed to be young. But if you were young and 10 when it first started you're already out of college. Even if you've only been following it for a few years you're most likely in a significantly different place in your life. By the time the series is likely to end, many people reading it might have kids themselves of appropriate age.

zapman
April 07, 2010, 06:41 AM
The issue Oda faced was really the way the SH crews experience thus far compares to all the other characters and crews and how that impacts story telling. Shanks has been travelling for over ten years since he met Luffy in chapter 1. He and his crew were already apparently very formidable and dangerous pirates back then. Some of the most powerful pirates are still locked in a stalemate unable to progress further. One of my favorite aspects of the story is how many threads it has been able to weave and maintain consistency and logic in the OP world. Seeing the Red-Hair crew many years later with new looks as compared to how they were drawn originally isn't just a change in style, but represents how the voyage has changed each of them. In chapter 1 they looked like kids, much like the strawhats.

I love the way the main characters are currently and we all expect our heroes to overachieve. But I think it would do a disservice to how great the manga has been written to this point if by the end, Luffy and company accomplished in a short period what others had struggled to do for many years. All the "older" characters have undergone considerable transformation when you look at how theyre represented in flashbacks. It's not unreasonable to expect the same from the main crew. In many ways Luffy's journey should mirror that of Shanks.

One interesting thing about the last few arcs is basically how different the general tone has been. While the SH's have been defeated before between the Archipelago, Impel Down, and the latest chapter Luffy has faced a huge number of characters that he basically had no shot of winning against. I expect that Oda's plan leading up to this past chapter was to create a transformative event so that he could instill the same type of development as you saw with Shanks and his crew. With Ace's death and all the new foes it seems like the perfect pivot point to do something like this.

At some point whether its now or later the voyager should show its wear and tear on the characters. They should neither look the same nor act the same as they did when they started. It's most likely something that's very hard to draw gradually. It has less to do with how long it is and more a way to express how they developed. Whatever occurs I expect it won't just be 'training' but individual adventures that will be summarized quickly.

As for the genre being Shonen... sure the audience is supposed to be young. But if you were young and 10 when it first started you're already out of college. Even if you've only been following it for a few years you're most likely in a significantly different place in your life. By the time the series is likely to end, many people reading it might have kids themselves of appropriate age.

Really good post.

I think there will be a timeskip and am looking forward to it.

If we are realistic there is no way the strawhats can make it in the new world as the way they are now, let alone Luffy becoming the Pirate King.

I think its been pretty obvious since Kuma sent the SH's off flying to these specific islands, that its been leading up to this.(I think he new exactly where to send them to make them stronger, I wonder what he whispered to Rayleigh)

Since the crew is spread out around the world it could take a year or 2 for them to reunite. But who knows how things are gonna play out from here but i think it will be awesome.

kangclaw
April 07, 2010, 12:38 PM
Soruce: AP
Credit: Greg (http://apforums.net/showpost.php?p=1543519&postcount=215)
Verification: Confirmed

I was prepared to sign off the CW5 interview as one of the most boring and meandering interviews Oda has lead in the CW series, (just bbehind Amano), which is why I got bored halfway through and skimmed Oda's questions, avoiding discussion.

Last time I'll do that -_-

There's a teacher at school who I discuss OP with. He's a maniac-level fan like myself. Sometimes 30 minutes go by in the teacher's room and we'll still be talking about the most recent chapter. Anyway, he just got CW4 (the shitty stores around us barely stock it) and he texts me at 11 at night, 'DID YOU READ THE COLOR WALK INTERVIEW!?'

Of course I did.....right?

Apparently not. Upon closer inspection, Yanase throws a question back at Oda after discussing 'no matter how much time passes, the characters don't age or change'. Oda says he admires an author that can do that because he isn't sure how to do it himself.

He elaborates, he mentions that A CERTAIN SERIES (probably DB) that was influetial on him used a certain technique to help its characters change over short period of time and that he's been eager to do something similar for a long time and is almost ready to follow suit.

TIME-SKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-PUH

So it is true, Time-skip then .. :o:o but for how many years ?

Thanks for the post, really good post.
[hr]

Another really good post. I have to agree, and the manga also indicates quite clearly that Luffy and his crew are not ready for the New World let alone becoming Pirate King. They need time to develop and become much more powerful.
I think that, if there is a time skip, Luffy and his crew will temporary 'disappear' or go missing from the notice of the world in general. This is because they will all levelling up in their own way until they meet up again. Meaning the people of the world will wonder where they are as a crew. Whilst everyone else: BB and his crew, the rest of the Supernova, the pirates, the various members of the WG and marines are making a name for themselves and increasing in power and notoriety.
However, when they do come back, they will come back with a bang, as the saying goes. They will be facing opponents who have matured also.

zapman
April 08, 2010, 11:33 AM
I think the next arc will be the saving of Fishman island.

There will be a timeskip of around a year maybe more, the crew finally gathers back together when they all meet up with Rayleigh and there ship.

They head down to Fishman Island with Jinbei where they discover that it has become a warzone type place ruled by some crazy pirates. Since Whitebeards death there was no one to protect it.
So Luffy and the crew end up wiping out the pirates, while revealing all the new techniques and strengths they have gained during the timeskip, (there may even be some flashbacks etc here) and eventually Jinbei decides to stay behind at Fishman island to be its guardian instead of joining with the strawhats.

After a big party they then head off into the New World.. stronger than ever.

kangclaw
April 08, 2010, 11:41 AM
That is what I was thinking, except that Luffy will go to Marijoa before Merman Island.

zapman
April 08, 2010, 12:13 PM
what would luffy do at Marijoa?

ops yea i meant Merman island lol

kkck
April 08, 2010, 12:49 PM
Considering how far apart the strawhats are from each other, a time skip makes sense. A few of them are in the grand line but others are not even close to it. I mean, nami might not even be over the grand line. Robbin is by the east blue. Chopper is by the east blue. I guess robbin could get help from the revolutionary army but even then moving towards the SA should be kinda hard. CHopper is not that strong, how would he get there? Nami might be anywhere on earth by now....

undertoe
April 08, 2010, 04:40 PM
Considering how far apart the strawhats are from each other, a time skip makes sense. A few of them are in the grand line but others are not even close to it. I mean, nami might not even be over the grand line. Robbin is by the east blue. Chopper is by the east blue. I guess robbin could get help from the revolutionary army but even then moving towards the SA should be kinda hard. CHopper is not that strong, how would he get there? Nami might be anywhere on earth by now....

Chopper could easily hitch a ride on those giant birds. He can talk to animals, after all. Have some imagination. Maybe Nami will get good enough at manipulating the weather that she can ride sky island clouds to her destination. Most of the strong characters in OP have devised ways of moving around at will other than ships, so why not the SHs?

Foxdie
April 21, 2010, 03:14 AM

Wow .. you really deserves a bow my friend. :yourock

That's true, Luffy faced Kizaru, Kuma, Sentomaru, Magellan, BB and crew, Akainu, Sengaku, Ivankuv, Jimbei, WB, Ace, Marco, Jozu, Mihawk, Do fla (maybe Hancock) and so ..

They will f****** kill ( :guns )him if he is still a naive kid, and Oda knows that .. that's why Ace died in front of him, that's why we and him need a time-skip in the story because, if he is planning to teach Luffy how to use Haki and to think about the powers in the world too much than before in 2-4 weeks >> this is a mistake, it should be like 6 months or near that ..

ScratchmenApoo
April 21, 2010, 03:53 AM
Luffy's birthday is on May 5th, and the chapter(s) after 582 is Golden Week time. Feels like a perfect chance for Oda to do something epic in terms of Luffy maturing (waking up, dealing with the mental collapse etc.)

Fox666
April 26, 2010, 05:23 AM
Hmm, I was think about if there would be or not a timeskip of years...

Separating Shonen manga characters age in categories:

Lower: 12 years. This was the case of Dragonball, Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist... usually the protagonist is surrounded by very mature adults. These series have a major timeskip through the series and the characters would evolve. Most likely because the public evolve.

Average: 15 years. This would be Bleach case. Also would include the other above after a timeskip. It's rare for a timeskip involving these characters, but possible.

High: 18 years. That is One Piece case.

Very high: 20's or 30's years. The series are not created for the public feel as the character.

Dragonball has gone through all them, and the main character matured a LOT. One note is that there was plans to switch the protagonist in Majin Boo saga to the protagonist son, which would be around the 18 years. The idea was left aside, and somehow Goku decreased his maturity level in that arc...

In One Piece the public age varies. Kids can read it, but adults too. The series has a childish fantasy world with a very mature philosofy and context. The protagonist age is enough for kids grow up watching it and for young adults identify. On the other hand, the last arcs (Shabondy, Impel Down, Marineford) have gradualite increased the maturity incredible.

I would not expect an time-skip for One Piece, as the protagonist age was built to not depend of time cronology. If there would be one, it would be at maximum 1 year.

Foxdie
July 05, 2010, 03:29 AM
Even if Luffy will leave the age of 17, it has several explanations:

1- His mind will grow up (general idea).
2- He will turn to 18 (possible, but it does not deserve an announcement from Oda).
3- He will turn to 27 (possible, either way how come Iva knows that if someone used his hormones the person will lose 10 years from his actual age?).
4- He will marry Hancock (not possible but he will become a man).
5- This is Oda's sense of humor (WTF).

Bloodwinter
July 05, 2010, 03:40 PM
I'm assuming it'll take some time to make it back to Saboady Archipelago, and he'll have grown to 18 during that time. Obviously the trip back will only be covered lightly because it'll be a straight-shot and uneventful on his way back to the crew as he trains / messes around aboard the ship.

Skyrius
August 16, 2010, 10:34 PM
ARGH. I'm convinced half of this is just Oda enjoying watching his fans squirm XD I mean, the guy's known for his sense of humor so I wouldn't put it past him :P I'm still banking my money on Luffy simply turning 18 inconspicuously. If I remember correctly, Oda himself once (half-jokingly probably) mentioned that he had no intention of letting the characters grow up a large span of years.

MexJ88
August 16, 2010, 11:32 PM
Well the question shouldn't be if and when the timeskip will occur but for how long.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if it was no less than 2 years. The timeskip should occur in a few weeks after all everything that needed to be said at this point has been said, and we could say that we have finally reached the half way point of One Piece. They are at the New World's borders. My guess of a 2 year minimum comes from the fact that in his message to his screw, Luffy rang the bell 16 times. 8 is meant to symbolize the start of a new year so maybe he is saying he'll meet everyone in two years. I meant everything is up to your own personnal decoding of his message after all.

But they wouldn't of gone and made such a big deal about the meaning of the bell ringing if it wasn't important. Also having Raleigh there with him means "Power-Up" time and he is one that can teach him to use his haki lol, and maybe we'll even see little Luffy going around ^_^ he is at Handcock's place after all and he's growing up and is a man lolz.

Psyren Dante
August 30, 2010, 11:27 AM
Hi guys!

I wanted to talk about Luffy's age for a bit since I am a little confused and I want to hear some other opinions.

From what i understood Strong World is Luffy's last adventure at 17. And the movie is canon. So that means when the Strawhats arrive at Sabaody, Luffy is 18. Now, with the timeskip this means that Luffy will be 20 when the Strawhats meet again. This kind of mirrors Ace since he was 20 when the story started. What do you think?

Thread merged. Before making a new thread search the forum to check if the thread already exist.

deprince69
August 30, 2010, 12:34 PM
no he is still 17 in the movie and on shaboady island... where are you getting the idea that luffy is 18 on shaboady? it doesn't take him a year to travel from the florine triangle to shaboady... since we don't know how long it exactly took the crew to make it half way through the grandline we just have to assume that everyone in the crew is the same age that they started... unless there were a birthday in between i am pretty sure Oda would then throw a birthday party for the crew member lol

Organizized
August 30, 2010, 12:59 PM
Whether Strong World is canon or not is a much discussed topic, but Oda never claimed that it belongs to the original story (and please, correct me if I'm wrong, because that would finally end that discussion).

He did say that the movie would be Luffy's last adventure as a 17-year-old though, that's true. My guess at what he means is that since the manga was in the middle of the Whitebeard war arc when the movie came out, and as we know now the War arc ends with a time skip, Strong World is the last new adventure we'll see in which Luffy is 17. I'm not saying I'm definitely right, but that's the only explanation I can think of since I'm on the "Strong World isn't canon"-side.

And thus, I'm gonna say Luffy is gonna be 19 after the time skip. Nothing has indicated that he was not 17 during the war, so until it's said that he turned 18 at some point along the way, he's 17 pre-timeskip and 19 post-timeskip in my eyes.

Cizuz
August 30, 2010, 02:04 PM
no he is still 17 in the movie and on shaboady island... where are you getting the idea that luffy is 18 on shaboady? it doesn't take him a year to travel from the florine triangle to shaboady... since we don't know how long it exactly took the crew to make it half way through the grandline we just have to assume that everyone in the crew is the same age that they started... unless there were a birthday in between i am pretty sure Oda would then throw a birthday party for the crew member lol

No, just no. Strong world takes place before shaboady as confirmed by oda, and oda also states last adventure as a 17 year old boy. Which can only mean hes 18 on shaboady.

So 2 year timeskip would equal age of 20. Ace was 19.

Though also I don't know why people claim strong worlds not cannon, oda said it is, so it is.

Organizized
August 30, 2010, 02:13 PM
No, just no. Strong world takes place before shaboady as confirmed by oda, and oda also states last adventure as a 17 year old boy. Which can only mean hes 18 on shaboady.

So 2 year timeskip would equal age of 20. Ace was 19.

Though also I don't know why people claim strong worlds not cannon, oda said it is, so it is.

Please direct me to both where Oda said Strong World takes place before Sabaody and where he said the movie is canon. Maybe I've just missed something, but I have been involved in countless discussions about this, and not once has there actually been provided an actual comment like this from Oda. I'm not trying to sound cynical, I'm just interested since I know it's not completely impossible I've missed such a thing.

Skyrius
August 30, 2010, 03:10 PM
Please direct me to both where Oda said Strong World takes place before Sabaody and where he said the movie is canon. Maybe I've just missed something, but I have been involved in countless discussions about this, and not once has there actually been provided an actual comment like this from Oda. I'm not trying to sound cynical, I'm just interested since I know it's not completely impossible I've missed such a thing.

I know Arlong Park has the interview somewhere, but from what I remember Movie 10 takes place between Thriller Bark and Shabondy. As for whether or not the movie's canon, eh. I know Shiki is. I'll go find it and post it back up when I do.

That aside, I support the Luffy being 20 years old thing, since Ace was 20 (according to Luffy, Ace left 3 years before him, and Ace and Luffy both left their island at the age of 17, which makes him 20) and it draws another parallel. For example, assuming Oda's comment about Movie 10 being Luffy's last adventure as a 17 year old, we could assume that he turned 18 during the Impel Down/Marineford arc. There's no proof, but that would explain the lack of a birthday party XD.

EDIT: Ok, got it. For the laconic version, just read the footnotes on the One Piece Wiki for movie 10:
http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Movie_10#cite_note-Canon-0
The information was in the artbook Oda drew for Strong World:
http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/One_Piece_Film_%E3%80%8CSTRONG%E3%80%80WORLD%E3%80%8D_Eichiro_Oda_Artbook
There's some slightly tangential information here: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-06-07/one-piece-film-strong-world-bd/dvd-to-add-new-scenes
which details what Oda requested.

The last 3 pages of the book are an interview with Oda-sensei. I have the artbook so I can scan them in if you want. The quote in question is:

"And as far as something that will hold true for both the comic and the anime, this will be Luffy's last adventure as a 17 year-old."

The rest of the interview tells about Oda's involvement in the movie, including his design of all major characters, as well as his meeting with some of the voice actors, and his role in writing the story for the movie.

kkck
August 30, 2010, 04:33 PM
I was under the impression the strong world bit was actually cannon. We had a manga chapter about it and we know for a fact that shiki indeed existed and escaped from ID (not just from the strong world chapter, shiki was actually mentioned).

That said, ace was 17 when he left his town and so was luffy. Luffy and ace planned on leaving as soon as they turned 17 so it is extremely likely they left their towns on dates close or even at their actual birthdays. In that sense, for luffy to be 18 right now he'd have to have traveled for practically a year by now. I don't think luffy has been traveling for a year yet so odds are he remains 17.

Naruffy
August 30, 2010, 04:39 PM
Ace was 17 when he left, and he said he hadn't seen Luffy for 3 years when they met in Arabasta, which would make him 20, right? Also, I thought Oda was refering to both the manga and the movie, so the past manga arc was his last adventure as a 17 year old.

Skyrius
August 30, 2010, 04:57 PM
Oda is referring to the movie, in canon time. Meaning, since the movie takes place between Thriller Bark and Shabondy, in the manga Luffy is 18 by the time he hits Shabondy. Sadly, Oda didn't elaborate any further than that so I can't be sure. He only said that Luffy's adventure in Mervielle is his last one as a 17 year old. Take that how you will.

I personally believe he's 18 at the time skip, since it adds onto the symbolism of him being the same age as his brother when he died, therefore almost sort of inheriting the will left behind by Ace AND his, by connection, Gol D. Roger as well.

Or I'm just reading into things to much xD But that's part of the fun.

tret16
August 30, 2010, 06:27 PM
the one prolem you guys have is that no one know the date in the manga and also no one know's when Ace and Luffy's bday are. and you guys are also forgettin that What if Ace had his birthday after he met Luffy in arabaster which would effectively make Ace 21 instead of 20...

pirateofthe***
August 30, 2010, 06:40 PM
Hi guys!

I wanted to talk about Luffy's age for a bit since I am a little confused and I want to hear some other opinions.

From what i understood Strong World is Luffy's last adventure at 17. And the movie is canon. So that means when the Strawhats arrive at Sabaody, Luffy is 18. Now, with the timeskip this means that Luffy will be 20 when the Strawhats meet again. This kind of mirrors Ace since he was 20 when the story started. What do you think?

Monkey D. Luffy

Position Captain
First Appearance Chapter 1, Episode 1
Age 17
Birthday May 5th
Height 172 cm
Bounty 300 000 000 Beri
Devil Fruit Gomu Gomu fruit
Dream To become the Pirate King

Monkey D. Luffy was born 17 years ago on Fuschia Village located in the East Blue. When he was young, he grew up with his brother, Protgas D. Ace, and his grandfather, Monkey D. Garp. During his young years, he was put through vigorous training by his grandfather ( such as sending him into forests alone at night ). However, his Grandfather soon left him and Ace to someone else. It is unknown who this other person is.

Later, Shanks, the captain of the Red Hair Pirate Crew, found Fuschia Village as his base. This is whe he met the young boy Monkey D. Luffy. Luffy, at that young age, had a dream to become a pirate, and continuously begged Shanks to take him with him. Shanks had always refused, saying that Luffy was too much of a little kid, and this always made Luffy mad. Even though, their relationship was strong.

One day, after Luffy had stabbed himself in the face in an attempt to gain respect from Shanks, they all had gone to the local bar for a drink. All of a sudden, the front door of the bar banged open, and in walked Higuma, a wanted man of 6 million belli, and his mountain bandts. Luffy watched as the montain bandit approached the bar, asking for some beer, but Shanks explains that he and his crew had already ordered it all up. However, even so, Shanks offered the Bandit his own drank. The bandit slammed it in his face, refusing to accept the drink, then left the bar.

After the bandit had left, Shanks bursted out luaghing at the Bandit. Luffy got angry at Shanks, and started yelling at him, telling him he should have stuck up for himself. Luffy ran off, angry, but Shanks grabbed his arm to stop him. However, Luffy kept walking, his arm stretching. Shanks realized immediatley that Luffy had eaten the Gomu Gomu no Mi, or the Rubber Rubber Devil Fruit that Shanks and his crew had stolen from the enemy. Shanks treid desperately to make Luffy throw up the fruit, but it wouldn't work. The effects had already been imbedded into Luffy. He was now a rubber boy.

A few days passed, and as Shanks and his crew were gone, the mountain Bandits returned again. This time, when they went into the bar, only Luffy was there. After Higuma had ordered some beer, he began talking bad about Shanks, about how terrible he was and how he was such a weakling and loser. Luffy got mad and spoke up for Shanks, but this caused him only trouble. Higuma kidnapped Luffy, taking him away.

Later that day, Shanks had discovered that Luffy had gone missing, he immediately went out to find it. It didn't take long for him to find the mayor yelling at Higuma to let the boy go. Shanks appeared behing them all, telling him to release Luffy, but Higuma didn't agree. After all of his men had gotten beaten by Ben Beckman, one of the men on Shanks crew, Higuma threw down a smokebomb so that he could escape.

Higuma ran off with Luffy in his hands, getting on a small boat and sailing away from the island. Luffy tried to get free, but he wasn't strong enough to escape Higuma's grasp. When they were far enough from the coast of the island, Higuma threw Luffy off of the boat. Since Luffy at the Gomu Gomu no Mi, he would never be able to swim. Luffy waved his hands around, trying to stay up above water. Higuma looked down at Luffy struggling and laughed. All of a sudden, however, a giant Sea King ate Higuma in one bite. Luffy yelled, terrified, as the Sea King spotted him, approaching closer.

However, all of a sudden, Luffy was saved. Shanks had appeared and whipped Luffy out of the way just in time. As Shanks held Luffy, he looked up at the Sea King. Just by Shanks glare, the Sea King ran off as quickly as possible. Luffy looked at Shanks, and he kept crying. Shanks told him that he shouldn't, but Luffy couldn't help it. Although Luffy was safe, the Sea King had managed to rip off Shanks arm. Shanks called it no problem, as long as Luffy was safe.

Not long after, back on the island, Shanks and his crew was getting ready to officially leave Fushcia Village for good. Luffy said that he wouldn't ask to follow Shanks anymore, because he was going to raise his own Pirate Crew. He said that he would become the Pirate King, the best pirate in the world. Shanks smiled, then bent down to Luffy. He said, since that was the case, he was going to give Luffy his most precious treasure, his straw hat. Taking it off of his own head, he placed it on Luffy. After that, Shanks gathered his crew and left Luffy.

Luffy trained for the next ten years. And finally, at the age of 17, he left his village, setting sail to make the greatest crew in the world.

tret16
August 30, 2010, 06:48 PM
still doesn't mean that in the manga that may 5th had passsed yet, and could you give us Ace's bio so i could see what age he was when he died? cause if his bday is before luffy's then that would mean that he was 21 when he died.

Organizized
August 30, 2010, 07:12 PM
Thanks Skyrius for the links. Never actually read the full quote from Oda, the "as far as something that will hold true for both the comic and the anime"-part. :)

So if you believe onepiecewikia, that means that Strong World is the very last adventure of Luffy as 17? I'm still kind of hoping it means something else, like that the "last adventure of 17-yo-Luffy" is true both for the War arc, which was in the manga at the time, and the movie. You may say I'm grasping for straws here, but I just don't see Strong World being canon.

I mean, how could it be? It doesn't make sense to place anywhere in the story, has no impact and nothing in the manga storyline indicates that anything from the movie has occurred. :s And while I do thank you for the links, I still haven't read about Oda claiming it's canon, that it's supposed to fit into the main storyline. For me, Strong World fits in just as well as the anime specials that led into the movie, and those occurred in the middle of the Impel Down arc. :eyeroll

Skyrius
August 30, 2010, 07:36 PM
No no no. I have the artbook XD. I'll scan it in for you and PM you with the download. It's just like Skypeia, in my opinion. A self contained adventure where the group didn't get any new members but just new information and experiences. As for the quote, that's a translated line from the second page of the interview (for reference)

EDIT: Ok, I figured everyone should get a chance to read it. So, here you guys go:
http://www.mediafire.com/?eevbcchcv13wjr6

It's on Mediafire since...er, well I like mediafire, but if people need it I'll reupload to MegaUpload. Anyways, that's the interview with Oda where he states (correction, it's on the last page) that the movie is Luffy's last adventure as a 17 year old.

EDIT v2: Oh and, after browsing around, here's a thread in AP with the translation to an interview in the SJ magazine. It's a different one, but it's got some interesting info too
http://apforums.net/showthread.php?p=1422392#post1422392

Fwah, more info. I'm just updating as I search now XD
http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=25671

DaoneLuffy
September 01, 2010, 10:05 AM
Just because Oda say's that this was Luffy's last movie as a 17 year old doesn't mean that he won't have a movie with Luffy as a kid with ace. I believe the next movie will be like luffy's flashback with him and ace as kids. Then Oda can go back to the older luffy for the next movie.

Schabrak
September 01, 2010, 11:51 AM
huh? Why would he waste the single movie of the year for a flashback, while we already will get one at the end of the war? Why waste presicous resources for a younger Luffy, if he can finally go on with the plot. Personally I don't see Oda being involved with further movies, as he was with Strong World, as the tenth one was anniversity.

Back to an older Luffy: I don't see Oda exploring dozen of isles in the New World, so a movie would enable him to create an extraordinary story on a extraordinary isle.

Lord Rayleigh
September 01, 2010, 12:42 PM
In the interview, Oda said that : " There were a few people who held the title ‘Legendary’ and I’d already dropped a number of those names but if I just milked those few the world would seem like a small place so I thought there should probably be more. Eventually, after entering the New World, I thought there’d be a guy like that and the character I set aside using that particular method was Shiki. "

Does that mean that Strong World actually takes place in New World ? Do not forget that, even if it's before the timeskip, it's possible that it is in New World since Shiki's boat and Thousand Sunny flew for a while.

Cizuz
September 01, 2010, 12:59 PM
the one prolem you guys have is that no one know the date in the manga and also no one know's when Ace and Luffy's bday are. and you guys are also forgettin that What if Ace had his birthday after he met Luffy in arabaster which would effectively make Ace 21 instead of 20...

But we do know luffys birthday, it's May 5th(Childrens day) as confirmed in SBS Volume 15. Ace's B-day is January 1st(SBS Volume 48). Which can be taken 2 ways really, that he was 19 and just turned 20, or infact he was 20 and just turned 21.

Any way though we actually know this information, and we know luffy is 18 now any way you look at it. Odas hints are very sudtle to age, but they are there. He will be 20 after timeskip.
[hr]

In the interview, Oda said that : " There were a few people who held the title ‘Legendary’ and I’d already dropped a number of those names but if I just milked those few the world would seem like a small place so I thought there should probably be more. Eventually, after entering the New World, I thought there’d be a guy like that and the character I set aside using that particular method was Shiki. "

Does that mean that Strong World actually takes place in New World ? Do not forget that, even if it's before the timeskip, it's possible that it is in New World since Shiki's boat and Thousand Sunny flew for a while.
But it can not happen before the time skip but after shaboady, since the crew it together. The crew is together before shaboady, and regardless if he flew the islands to newworld or not which is unlikly, it still takes place cronologically before shaboady, and it states clearly it is his last adventure as a 17 year old, which unless you can give another logical explanation, and I mean anyone, it makes him 18.

Also originally shiki was going to be shown during when whitebeard and shanks clashed, but oda instead due to time constraints and not to overload with information kept him off, he was going to be an arc all together. Due to even more problems with time constraints about getting to new world quickly in chapters, made it a movie. He did story, it's canon, etc.

Also it's similiar to when they were going to the grand line, oda pushed as quickly as possible to get them to there, originally daddy masterson was going to be in manga etc, but instead only in anime/novel, however still canon.

Lord Rayleigh
September 01, 2010, 01:16 PM
But it can not happen before the time skip but after shaboady, since the crew it together. The crew is together before shaboady, and regardless if he flew the islands to newworld or not which is unlikly, it still takes place cronologically before shaboady, and it states clearly it is his last adventure as a 17 year old, which unless you can give another logical explanation, and I mean anyone, it makes him 18.

Also originally shiki was going to be shown during when whitebeard and shanks clashed, but oda instead due to time constraints and not to overload with information kept him off, he was going to be an arc all together. Due to even more problems with time constraints about getting to new world quickly in chapters, made it a movie. He did story, it's canon, etc.

Also it's similiar to when they were going to the grand line, oda pushed as quickly as possible to get them to there, originally daddy masterson was going to be in manga etc, but instead only in anime/novel, however still canon.

I know it's before the timeskip : the characters still have their young appearance :blink I guess I should have written " even though " instead of " even if " - my French mistake.

It isn't a problem that it happens before the timeskip. As I said, " even though " it is before the timeskip, Shiki and the Straw Hats travelled in the air for a long time. So Shiki may have led them to New World. So what do you think ? Does the film takes place in New World ? Oda's words seem to mean that.

Skyrius
September 01, 2010, 01:25 PM
"There were a few people who held the title ‘Legendary’ and I’d already dropped a number of those names but if I just milked those few the world would seem like a small place so I thought there should probably be more. Eventually, after entering the New World, I thought there’d be a guy like that and the character I set aside using that particular method was Shiki."

Oda's referring to the fact that the New World has people like that. And, if I'm not mistaken, he means Whitebeard and Shank's meeting, which took place in the New World. He's trying to say that Shiki is the type of "legend" that shows up in the One Piece world and the way he created Shiki's character is by thinking "Hm, ok if there was a guy who was a legend even in the New World, what would he be like?"

The reason it doesn't refer to the movie itself is " Eventually, after entering the New World" which is inferring that this is a future event. So he's saying that the New World should have guys like that (*_* Awesome!)

Cizuz
September 01, 2010, 01:54 PM
I know it's before the timeskip : the characters still have their young appearance :blink I guess I should have written " even though " instead of " even if " - my French mistake.

It isn't a problem that it happens before the timeskip. As I said, " even though " it is before the timeskip, Shiki and the Straw Hats travelled in the air for a long time. So Shiki may have led them to New World. So what do you think ? Does the film takes place in New World ? Oda's words seem to mean that.I guess the only problem with that would be this. If the islands were floating above the new world, then when they fell they would be in the new world with their boat, and then would have no way of even getting to shaboady, and wouldn't go that way anyway no reason to :P.
[hr]

"There were a few people who held the title ‘Legendary’ and I’d already dropped a number of those names but if I just milked those few the world would seem like a small place so I thought there should probably be more. Eventually, after entering the New World, I thought there’d be a guy like that and the character I set aside using that particular method was Shiki."

Oda's referring to the fact that the New World has people like that. And, if I'm not mistaken, he means Whitebeard and Shank's meeting, which took place in the New World. He's trying to say that Shiki is the type of "legend" that shows up in the One Piece world and the way he created Shiki's character is by thinking "Hm, ok if there was a guy who was a legend even in the New World, what would he be like?"

The reason it doesn't refer to the movie itself is " Eventually, after entering the New World" which is inferring that this is a future event. So he's saying that the New World should have guys like that (*_* Awesome!)
We know this already, but what I meant is when oda wanted shiki to originally be mentioned. The clash between whitebeard and shanks was going to mention shiki and what he had done. That and I find it hilarious, but shiki was originally going to be the design for kuma(and kuma was introduced a LONG time ago) in fact he made the desscession about not mentioning shiki and introducing kuma with a redone design at the same time/chapter. Chapter 230-235 if I remember correctly.

"In the early design sketches of Shiki, Oda originally drew Shiki as bald and with more lion-like facial features. A later early sketch of Shiki, Oda drew Shiki with the steering wheel but embedded in his head a different position. In an interview about Strong World, Oda also revealed that he originally intended this concept of Shiki to be used on Kuma. However he turned down the idea but later decided to use it for Shiki."

and as for my source with when shiki was supposed to be mentioned. SBS volume 58.

"A fan noticed Shiki being mentioned in the manga and asked Oda if the character was one and the same with the character in the movie. Oda confirmed that the two characters were one and the same, and explained more about him. Originally, Oda wanted to include Shiki to be mentioned during the meeting between Shanks and Whitebeard. He however held back because he thought it might be too much info for readers and confusing. At the time also, he did not know that the story about the pirate who caused havoc during Roger's time would be made into a movie"