PDA

View Full Version : Shounen Ace of Diamond by Yuji Terajima

Drmke
December 25, 2009, 07:15 PM
http://media.animevice.com/uploads/0/2109/130248-54862_daiya_no_a_01_122_166lo_thumb.jpg

Summary: High school baseball manga. Teamed up with an elite catcher, pitcher Sawamura Sakai leaves his high school in the country to attend the catcher's high school.

Serialization: 2006-present
Serialized in Weekly Shonen Magazine (Its a Kodansha manga so it can't be found at Mangahelpers)

Chapters 1-10 can be read on online viewing sites like Mangafox (http://www.mangafox.com/manga/diamond_no_ace/) and Mangavolume (http://www.mangavolume.com/serie-archive/mangas-diamond-no-ace/).

The rest can be found at Aozora no Kumo scans. (http://aozora-no-kumo.com/category/manga/aceofdiamonds/) They are currently doing regular scans of the series.

Really good series. If you like Ahiru no Sora or Area no Kishi, you will probably be a fan of this series.

Kaiten
December 25, 2009, 07:55 PM
I've liked what has been scanlated so far but it's a slow paced series with a slow rate of release online. Hard to get a feel for it. Definitely well written, the characters are interesting. Not a huge fan of the art; well drawn but almost to stereotypically Shonen Magazine. The character design looks a lot like Bloody Monday's. Over all a good series that seems like it will keep getting better and better.

Chapters 20-22 came out today! (http://aozora-no-kumo.com/)

Drmke
January 01, 2010, 03:45 PM
I like how the main character is going to the super elite school instead of fighting against them like in most shonen sports manga. Main character is pretty typical of most Magazine sports manga, but I really like him. I look forward to future scans.

nat
January 03, 2010, 03:29 AM
The protagonist might be typical of shounen manga but he's lovable in a goofy kind of way.

I always find shounen characters lacking, but this story's characters are very promising. And so is the pacing, fast but not hurrying and most importantly NO SAPPY ROMANCE.... Well so far anyway.

Can't wait for future releases :)

Ps: I'm addicted to it atm XD

Drmke
December 21, 2011, 10:27 PM
Ah I just caught up on the recent scans and I love this series even more now! This is really one of the best sports series out there with some extremely likable characters even on the opposing teams. Moar ppl read this nao!

Drmke
May 10, 2013, 12:38 AM
This is probably worth sharing here. Diaya no Ace is getting an anime this fall. (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-05-09/ace-of-diamond-baseball-manga-gets-tv-anime-this-fall) Credits to Netorare who posted the link originally in the Weekly Shonen Magazine thread in the Otaku Shoten section.

So, anyone excited about this? I know I am! An interesting point Kaiten brought up in the previous thread was how long the series will be. I don't mind if its not ridiculously long covering all the available material but just one cour would be disappointing.

Also had to bump this old thing :derp

Airgrimes
May 12, 2013, 06:04 AM
I'm too excited for this. So glad it landed an anime.
I feel like a hipster being one of the not so many Westerners who will know this manga before the anime is released lol.
I've been expecting an anime for a while though, it does run in the same magazine as Code Breaker and Fairy Tail after all.

Will it be a 26ep. Seasonal? Or an On-going?

Drmke
May 13, 2013, 01:56 PM
^We don't know how long it will be just yet but seeing as how it is a joint project, I'm crossing my fingers for at least 50 episodes.

Airgrimes
May 14, 2013, 12:09 PM
^We don't know how long it will be just yet but seeing as how it is a joint project, I'm crossing my fingers for at least 50 episodes.
50 episodes? That's an Annual!!
But they don't really make annuals anymore. Haven't seen a 50-56 episode anime in years.

I'm only on Chapter 93 and the Volume just came out and the people who scan it are doing a great job atm with releases.
But I love the Slam Dunk inspired route but the author made it original by having Furuya not so perfect and Sawamura far from crap.
So far its not been ruined by the classical Shounen useless female character.
I think the author could do a bit better in making characters more memorable though. I've only seen few Sports Mangas pull that off.

k-dom
May 27, 2013, 09:46 AM
This has been my read during my no internet holidays and I don't regret picking it up. As usual the idiots character but I like the fact that it is just not about the pitcher. I also like the fact that Eijun has still a long way to go, that makes the 3d year role more interesting. It seems to me that the serie give the coach character more place than in normal sport series (but I'm not an expert on those).
As for the current match, I guess it's time Tanba come to the den, I don't see how they can win otherwise.

AlexisMeade
May 30, 2013, 09:46 AM
Guys this is IG and Madhouse combo anime. Even if I don't read this manga (which I totally do) I would be watching for just that.

Two monster studios. Gosh Japanese really do love their baseball, don't they? This is the best baseball manga I've seen so far, though. No wonder it'd be animated by those two.

It reaches vol 12 with the scanlation, but in Japan it's the 29th tankobon already. There should be plenty of materials.

Airgrimes
June 08, 2013, 07:03 PM
They've really taken the Slam Dunk route though.
Having Sawamura = Sakuragi and Furuya = Rukawa.
Only difference is Furuya has friends whilst Rukawa liked being lonely.

I gotta say I love how realistic it is too. Just like in Slam Dunk they're including what quite a lot of Sports mangas cut out, the heavy tears of the 3rd Years of the given Sports club after they are knocked out of their final tournament.
Adds so much to the story for me.

Kaizou 10
August 07, 2013, 12:18 PM
The voice actors for upcoming Daiya no Ace animation is announed:

- Sawamura Eijun = Ohsaka Ryouta
- Fusaya Satoru = Shimazaki Nobunaga
- Kominato Haruichi = Hanae Natsuki
- Miyuki Kazuya = Sakurai Takahiro

Airgrimes
October 06, 2013, 02:20 PM
How have people found the first episode (http://www.animefave.net/ace-of-diamond/) of Ace of Diamond?

Kaiten
October 06, 2013, 11:09 PM
This thread is for manga discussion only. The anime can discussed in the anime thread (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/2993547-Diamond-no-Ace).

Airgrimes
October 08, 2013, 04:05 PM
Thanks, I was wondering why this place was a ghost town especially after a new episode.
Next time if someone could put a link to connect the Manga thread and Anime thread of one series or something please?
That'd be great

k-dom
October 08, 2013, 04:09 PM
Maybe it's possible to add it to the database (http://mangahelpers.com/m/diamond-no-ace-)like manga thread are.

Korean Kuroko
December 03, 2013, 08:16 AM
Favorite baseball manga I've read so far. I'm up to the Yakushi match right now!
Fav characters so far are Miyuki(duh!), Sawamura, Raichi and the Kominato bros.

Does anybody know if scalations are up todate? I believe they are not but I could be wrong.

SharkBait
December 03, 2013, 10:35 AM
I started reading this just two weekends ago, currently following along at the pace of the anime and will probably read furthur depending on where it stops. Manga has good art and good comedy though doesnt really develop Eijuns two roommates as well so far, better characterization and fun times would be nice, tough Im just 24 chps in.

-How odd to introduce an issue for his rival, Satoru Furuya so early in, I thought it would be something to come up during an actually relevant game.

Korean Kuroko
December 03, 2013, 01:44 PM
-How odd to introduce an issue for his rival, Satoru Furuya so early in, I thought it would be something to come up during an actually relevant game.

Really? Seemed like a standard rival introduction to me.

And one small thing I dont like about this manga so far(up to chapter 120) is that the characters' only interest is baseball. At least Prince of Tennis and Kuroko no basket show that the characters do other things other than play sports and have other aspirations in life than play. Not so much here, it's all about baseball all the time.

SharkBait
December 03, 2013, 01:47 PM
Really? Seemed like a standard rival introduction to me.

And one small thing I dont like about this manga so far(up to chapter 120) is that the characters' only interest is baseball. At least Prince of Tennis and Kuroko no basket show that the characters do other things other than play sports and have other aspirations in life than play. Not so much here, it's all about baseball all the time.

Oh I guess by issue I meant for him to have an "injury" with his nail in just the first 24 or so chapters. Most times injuries creep up in sports series much later.

Korean Kuroko
December 03, 2013, 02:01 PM
Oh I guess by issue I meant for him to have an "injury" with his nail in just the first 24 or so chapters. Most times injuries creep up in sports series much later.

Ah got ya.Misunderstood issue as chapter hehe.
Just out of curiosity who is your favortite character so far?

SharkBait
December 03, 2013, 02:03 PM
Ah got ya.Misunderstood issue as chapter hehe.
Just out of curiosity who is your favortite character so far?

Furuya and Miyuki are my favorites.

k-dom
December 03, 2013, 02:14 PM
scanlation is far far behind. Current chapter is around 360.
And yes it's almost only baseball. But it is part of the sport genre. The originality of this one is that you see more the team aspect. The fact that there are 3 aces splits the focus which is generally put on this character.

Korean Kuroko
December 03, 2013, 06:24 PM
scanlation is far far behind. Current chapter is around 360.
And yes it's almost only baseball. But it is part of the sport genre. The originality of this one is that you see more the team aspect. The fact that there are 3 aces splits the focus which is generally put on this character.

Yeah just saw that they have RAWS up to volume 38.XD.Hopefully the anime rises the manga's popularity(It sure did for Bimbogami Ga and Shingeki no Kyojin to a lesser extent).

Yeah and I understand it's a sports manga but literally they have not have even one conversation not involving Baseball. Prince of Tennis showed characters ambitions besides tennis( Ej: Tezuka wants to go pro, Oishi wants to be a Doctor,Kuwamura wants to be a sushi chef,etc.) and Kuroko and Eyeshield 21 showed the teams hanging out when not playing. But here? These guys eat, sleep and breath baseball. Do they even have time to study? It's still a great manga(best baseball one I've read) but other sports series have the players show more "depth" if that makes any sense.
Anyway gonna finish reading the scanlations and checking out some RAWS tonight.

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

Wait.... The Sakurazawa Coach is a woman?:gwah

LoS
December 03, 2013, 09:11 PM
Can either of you link me to the raws? I caught up to the current scanlation pace a few weeks ago, but noticed it seemed to be slow/lagging behind.

Drmke
December 03, 2013, 10:22 PM
Wait.... The Sakurazawa Coach is a woman?:gwah

Lol I did like forty double-takes myself when I read that chapter.

Korean Kuroko
December 04, 2013, 12:55 PM
Waiting for scanlations next up is the Inachiro( I suck at japanese names so sorry if it's wrong) match.

It seems that
Kominato injured his leg in the Sensen match

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

Can either of you link me to the raws? I caught up to the current scanlation pace a few weeks ago, but noticed it seemed to be slow/lagging behind.

Sorry cant help you here. The one volume I found was 38 I got a huge spoiler out of it(we talking Darth vader is Luke's father spoilers here).

SharkBait
December 07, 2013, 09:59 PM
Still reading at the pace of the anime (well ep10 only did up 25 -> 27a) but incredibly progress especially 27, liking how Eijun is now, and if Chris can actually get compelled to catch this match, then the second best battery will be formed. Still concerned for who the two to be first string will be.

Korean Kuroko
December 17, 2013, 10:21 PM
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Diamond-no-Ace/Vol-017-Ch-143--Expressed-Resolute?id=181350
Chapter 143 out!

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

LOL at Chris and Miyuki completely ignoring Sawamura's serious request. And Kominato is fucked.

---------- Post added December 17, 2013 at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was December 10, 2013 at 09:21 PM ----------

For those interested in spoilers a fellow over at Manga Fox has been giving summaries of the volumes plus up to date chapters.Here's the link if anyone is interested:
http://forums.mangafox.me/threads/492300-Spoilers-thread
Also big spoilers for the Inashiro/Seidou match:
DO NOT READ IF YOU DONT WANT TO BE SPOILED!!!!!!

Basically....Inashiro wins.Despite being a close match Inashiro ends up beating all of Seidou''s pitchers: Furuya's pitches lost effectiveness,Tanba got cramps and Kawakami and Sawamura were both psychologically crushed by Inashiro. Inashiro ends up going all the way to the finals of Koshien but ironically end up losing to a team that uses 4 pitchers like Seidou.

Kaizou 10
December 29, 2013, 09:08 AM
It is announced that Daiya no Ace has surpassed printing 20,000,000 copies.

SharkBait
December 29, 2013, 01:44 PM
Up to chapter 37/38 as thats where the episode ended. Overall this first manga arc of sorts has been highly exciting and entertaining. Im glad Chris senpai is sticking around, but am looking forward to finally more developments of Furuya and Eijun together, and Miyuki managing both potentially? The manga art is so good though, unlike other artists with wonky art in the first 50 chapters this feels quite polished even at the thirties.

Korean Kuroko
January 06, 2014, 05:18 PM
New chapter released a couple of days ago.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Diamond-no-Ace/Vol-017-Ch-144--Nostalgic-Face?id=184494

Airgrimes
January 07, 2014, 07:56 PM
Thanks.

Hahaha Azuma-senpai holds a grudge from a year ago, I like where this is going. Finally Sawamura is progressing at a Shonen Main Character rate.
Although this new move he has, won't eliminate the large gap between them and Inashio from what we've seen...

This manga is pretty good though. I mean, it's no Prince of Tennis/Kuroko no Basket but its pretty amazing when I compare it to others now.
Can't believe there aren't that many scanlating groups jumping on it.
Its a shame its about a 100+ chptrs behind.

Drmke
January 08, 2014, 10:58 PM
What's sad is I think it's almost 200 chapters behind D: At least 20 volumes....but nearly every popular sports manga outside of Weekly Shonen Jump is in the same boat, especially those from Magazine. I had hoped the anime would boost online interest but clearly that hasn't happened lol

k-dom
January 09, 2014, 01:46 AM
It's scaned at a regular pace at the moment, I don't think we can complain. Ao no Sora also has been regular again lately which is a good news since I prefer this latter.

Airgrimes
January 10, 2014, 12:42 PM
It's scaned at a regular pace at the moment, I don't think we can complain.
You must have misunderstood.
We aren't complaining at the rate of the scanlations.

Its that we had hoped more scanlation groups may have been interested in the series after the anime started since its a bit odd for a manga to be 200+ chapters behind the magazine releases.
Or rather, its a shame that its so behind. This isn't a complaint at any scanlation group or anything.

Airgrimes
May 13, 2014, 11:33 AM
Thoughts on the West Tokyo finals match between Seidou and Inashiro?

Or is anyone surprised Inashiro lost in the Koushien final?

Either way, without the 3rd Years, Seidou is essentially a weak side at the moment so it'll be interesting how this rematch with Yakushi plays out.
Sanada Shunpei at the time was somewhat of a better pitcher than Furuya and Sawamura back then so we'll see how much things have changed.

Norland
May 27, 2014, 12:29 AM
Either way, without the 3rd Years, Seidou is essentially a weak side at the moment so it'll be interesting how this rematch with Yakushi plays out.

yes, especially in batting line.
in the newest chapter (211), zono still far away become a clean up hitter
meanwhile, toujou is potential become a good hitter