PDA

View Full Version : Why do they have a scar on the left side?

mugen
October 27, 2006, 08:03 PM
Well I know kind of thought that perhaps the scar on the left side of some characters might be of importance or just a joke Oda likes to do.

So far only Luffy, Shanks, Garp, and Dragon have one. Tell me what do you think?
And Ben Beckman from Shanks crew. :noworry

Dark Zeza
October 28, 2006, 03:40 AM
No, I think they are just coincidence. Also on Dragon's face it seem to be tattoo more than scar.

CheckMate
October 28, 2006, 04:43 AM
Kakashi Hatake!!

craziii
October 29, 2006, 09:32 PM
it is just character design? Oda sensei doesn't mean anything by it? I wish u had a 4th option for nothing special.

jeffhmwong
October 31, 2006, 06:56 AM
Yea....Sumore luffy got his scare by jabbing himself on the face due to stupidity (in episode 1) . Thats just pure dumbness no coincidence at all!!

bebekhappy
October 31, 2006, 12:51 PM
Perhaps influence from Rurouni Kenshin? well he used to be an assistant for Watsuki before doin' OP right?

*yeah it's just my thought :p

stoopider
October 31, 2006, 08:29 PM
Because a scar is cool

neild
November 02, 2006, 08:44 AM
i think it is just a pure coincidence.but based on oda's genious way of thinking, i think he will turn around the story to what most people dont think.so i think he was up to something

tqm_z
November 02, 2006, 11:14 AM
my prediction:
their scars might have a meaning in the stories because on the early chapter Luffy badly want a scar and cut his face himself. (read manga, this part wasn't in anime)

there something that drives Luffy to put this scar. It's like a symbol of power or something.

mugen
November 02, 2006, 05:29 PM
actually Luffy stabbed himself to show Shanks he was tough so that Shanks would take him as his crew.

neild
November 02, 2006, 07:52 PM
my prediction:
their scars might have a meaning in the stories because on the early chapter Luffy badly want a scar and cut his face himself. (read manga, this part wasn't in anime)

there something that drives Luffy to put this scar. It's like a symbol of power or something.

what chapter are you talking about?so that we are on the same page

but at the end he didnt have a scar right?coz he is a rubber man??
so why did luffy have a scar?

tqm_z
November 03, 2006, 02:03 AM
LOL, you don't know? I think you didn't read manga version chapter 001

Luffy scratch himself before he ate Gomu Gomu DF.

this part was't broadcasted in anime.

exact page -> http://groups.msn.com/onepiecemanga/onepiecechapter01.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=4

neild
November 03, 2006, 05:22 AM
LOL, you don't know? I think you didn't read manga version chapter 001

Luffy scratch himself before he ate Gomu Gomu DF.

this part was't broadcasted in anime.

exact page -> http://groups.msn.com/onepiecemanga/onepiecechapter01.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=4

wow thx

jeffhmwong
November 06, 2006, 06:32 AM
As i said. He jab himself base on pure stupidity..!!!
Totally no coincidence involve there..!!

Mugiwara_no_Jack
November 06, 2006, 02:20 PM
i thinks it's just a coinsedence....

besides a scar looks cool, mysterious and dangerous :D

jeffhmwong
November 07, 2006, 07:52 AM
I think zoros scar on the chest by Mihawk looks real cool..@@

mugen
November 11, 2006, 10:43 PM
I think zoros scar on the chest by Mihawk looks real cool..@@

that's kind of off topic, anyways since some scars have been revealed I can pressume the others will be too :amuse[br]Posted on: November 08, 2006, 09:17:11 PM_________________________________________________ I just noticed something could it be that Dragon is a Homage to Vegeta from Dragonball
I mean Oda's favorite manga is Dragonball

neild
November 13, 2006, 07:45 PM
vegeta doesnt have a tatoo on his face.but maybe the hair is look alike.
btw does zoro's scar important?

sushi
November 14, 2006, 07:53 AM
hey...maybe oda-sensei is trying to tell something bout the scar>>>kinda like all the people who has it is powerful like luffy n shanks...dragon on the hand was tattoo but still the same cause it's still a marking...garp....it looks like anybody who is related to luffy has it....

neild
November 14, 2006, 02:20 PM
but zoro didnt plan to get the scar, luffy did.shanks didnt

mugen
November 14, 2006, 04:45 PM
okay zoro's scar is not on his face so it's kind of off topic

neild
November 14, 2006, 05:45 PM
yeah, but what im trying to say, is that the scar is just a coincidence,coz some of them planned to get it, while some of them didnt.so it is more of a coincidence

mugen
November 14, 2006, 06:22 PM
yeah maybe but Zoro is off topic
and besides Eiichiro maybe thought it looked cool that's why they have one

neild
November 14, 2006, 11:27 PM
cool or hurting? like when luffy stabed himself with a knife.it doesnt seem cool to me or did shanks intentionally give blackbeard a chance to scratch his eye maybe?

mugen
November 15, 2006, 02:06 AM
well he was an apprentice so he's not the shanks of right now I mean buggy was on par with him back then

neild
November 15, 2006, 05:54 PM
sorry this is off topic, but i think the bounty for buggy, arlong, and don krieg is too low.considering the most recent bounty right now,they are way too low.especially buggy, who is compared to shanks back then

mugen
November 15, 2006, 05:58 PM
are you seriuos?
you are very funny
also once againplease try to stay on topic :oh

neild
November 15, 2006, 06:03 PM
i already apologize for going off topic.but i just want to say it,and i dont think its necesary to start a new thread.so while you were saying something about buggy, im just throwing it at this topic.
anyway i still think the scar is not that important

mugen
November 15, 2006, 06:06 PM
perhaps but still most important characters have one on the left side
btw sorry if i offended you :crying

sushi
November 16, 2006, 05:39 AM
i'm with you mugen...oda-sensei is making it look nice by having those scars i's kinda funny for luffy though. his stupidity is beyond expectation...yet....it's cool

neild
November 16, 2006, 06:06 PM
perhaps but still most important characters have one on the left side
btw sorry if i offended you :crying

nah it's alright.its my fault for going off topic.u did the right thing

mugen
December 21, 2006, 11:21 PM
hmmm.
I just thought, knowing, Shanks and everything, is it possible that Shanks got his scar from Blackbeard while protecting Buggy. Tell me, what do you think?

Efreet
December 22, 2006, 04:34 AM
hmmm.
I just thought, knowing, Shanks and everything, is it possible that Shanks got his scar from Blackbeard while protecting Buggy. Tell me, what do you think?

could be.. but they still haven't stated where Shanks and Blackbeard met in the first place

white silver
December 22, 2006, 04:42 AM
hmmm.

[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]According to Shanks, the scar was "no" accident. If Shanks got it from protecting Buggy, that would mean the opposite!

mugen
December 22, 2006, 10:06 AM
could be.. but they still haven't stated where Shanks and Blackbeard met in the first place

hmm let's see Blackbeard was with Whitebeard and Shanks was with Gol D. Roger, they used to fight all the time...
you know now?

[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]According to Shanks, the scar was "no" accident. If Shanks got it from protecting Buggy, that would mean the opposite!

when did he say that cuz i don't remeber, Shanks just said he was'nt being careless, that's all. :nono

white silver
December 22, 2006, 11:02 AM
when did he say that cuz i don't remeber, Shanks just said he was'nt being careless, that's all. :nono

[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Well, not being careless and no accident should mean pretty much the same doesn't it??

mugen
December 22, 2006, 11:46 AM
[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Well, not being careless and no accident should mean pretty much the same doesn't it??

yeah but really i would'nt be surprised if he got while protecting Buggy's ass

white silver
December 22, 2006, 11:49 AM
yeah but really i would'nt be surprised if he got while protecting Buggy's ass

[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Makes the whole Blackbeard less dramatic though. Nah, I believe he got it from a serious technique from Blackbeard.

mugen
December 22, 2006, 11:52 AM
I mean he lost his arm, which is more serious than that scar
and what, he lost it to a sea king, a weak one :crying
so really it would be kind of the same thing here with Blackbeard

white silver
December 22, 2006, 12:17 PM
I mean he lost his arm, which is more serious than that scar
and what, he lost it to a sea king, a weak one :crying
so really it would be kind of the same thing here with Blackbeard

[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]No, the seaking was definitely an accident, it was either Luffy or his arm. And we can surely say that Blackbeard makes Sea Kings look like minature worms, had the same thing happened, he wouldn't just be left with a "scar". He'd be DEAD!

mugen
December 22, 2006, 12:20 PM
I don'y really think so but enough on Shanks scar. If we continue i'm just gonna end up taliking bad about you favorite pirate Blackbeard so,
How do you think garp got his scar probably got it from Gol.
I mean Gol did leave people scars, for example Whitebeard.

white silver
December 22, 2006, 02:36 PM
I don'y really think so but enough on Shanks scar. If we continue i'm just gonna end up taliking bad about you favorite pirate Blackbeard so,

[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]What's that supposed to mean?

How do you think garp got his scar probably got it from Gol.
I mean Gol did leave people scars, for example Whitebeard.

[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Seeing that he is the man that "cornered" Gol D. Roger countless times, eventually he's going be involved in some fight one way or the other.

mugen
December 22, 2006, 02:39 PM
I meant that I really believe that Blackbeard gave Shanks his scar on a sneak attack.
And could that mark Dragon has be a result of torture from the world goverment.

Absolutio
December 22, 2006, 08:06 PM
at the latest chapter we can also see the importance of shanks scar => made by black beard..

mugen
December 22, 2006, 08:14 PM
at the latest chapter we can also see the importance of shanks scar => made by black beard..

yeah I didn't know that
that wasn't the latest chapter, it was like 2 months ago

Efreet
December 23, 2006, 01:04 AM
hmm let's see Blackbeard was with Whitebeard and Shanks was with Gol D. Roger, they used to fight all the time...
you know now?

yeah.. thanks for the reminder :smile-big

mugen
December 23, 2006, 01:05 AM
yeah.. thanks for the reminder :smile-big

yeah no problem
anyways I want to know now Garp's scar maker

gao_dargon
December 23, 2006, 03:48 AM
all of u are forgeting Ben Beckman the RH 1º mate he also have a scar on the left side

mugen
December 23, 2006, 05:29 PM
all of u are forgeting Ben Beckman the RH 1º mate he also have a scar on the left side

wow i did not remeber that?
another mystery...
probably from one of the Yonkou..

Efreet
December 24, 2006, 01:46 AM
now that we are talking about scars don't forget about Crocodile's huge one across his face :amuse

jeffhmwong
December 24, 2006, 06:49 AM
Yea..crocs scar is like his face has been cut into 2...

mugen
December 24, 2006, 03:19 PM
now that we are talking about scars don't forget about Crocodile's huge one across his face :amuse

but it's across not on his left side of his face :offtopic2

Efreet
December 25, 2006, 02:32 AM
but it's across not on his left side of his face :offtopic2

ohhh. sorry.. but what does it matter if it's on the left side or not?

mugen
December 25, 2006, 02:37 AM
cuz all the rest of the characters have it on the left side...
that's why

Efreet
December 26, 2006, 01:31 AM
oh..maybe having it on the left side symbolizes something

sushi
January 03, 2007, 07:25 AM
yeah like having to be a great impact to the whole series of OP

OP_overlord
January 07, 2007, 01:07 AM
it sould mean that you are strong
luffy got his by doing it too himself to prove that he is strong to shanks and dragons is not a scar but a tatoo

sushi
January 08, 2007, 07:03 AM
said that in the early thread

OP_overlord
January 08, 2007, 05:45 PM
i know i was just reiterating cause i think a few ppl had forgotten

sushi
January 09, 2007, 03:10 AM
hahahahha

sorry nyway

OP_overlord
January 09, 2007, 04:38 PM
no prob
the scare might have some importance
maybe they are all like luffy and did the scared them selfs to prove them selfs to someone and it shows that they are will to do anything for what they belive in and they are not affraid of pain/death

sushi
January 10, 2007, 06:02 AM
you see when luffy become serious bout any fight the scar actually bring out his fiercenous even more

jeffhmwong
January 10, 2007, 09:31 AM
I seriously think luffy shud have a change in image......his current looks make him still very very childish compared to zoro and sanji....what u guys think?

deathshadow25
January 10, 2007, 09:44 AM
It's simple a scar on that side just looks cooler....

sushi
January 11, 2007, 07:42 AM
J@ffzz don think that luffy shud change his image since he must be himself not follow others like sanji n zoro make him have a stronger impact...the different guy is always the one that we remember most right.

xr3b0rn5inx
January 31, 2007, 10:10 AM
Luffy got his scar by jabbing himself juz to prove he is not scared to be a pirate and also due to stupitity

Shanks scar was cause by Blackbeard

Dragon is clearly a tattoo,its impossible for a scar to be formed like that.

Grap,hmmm maybe he hurt himself while torturing Luffy when he was small :smile-big

OP_overlord
January 31, 2007, 11:44 PM
luffy is changing his imagehe is getting buff he is working out and it doent matter what you look like it is the bounty that matter almost everone is scared of him cause his bounty is huge

Pimpolho
February 01, 2007, 11:17 AM
The fact that a lot of scars are in the left side is because when Oda imagined the fight that cause it he pictured a right hand punch or stab, that normally hit the left side. Just look yourself in the mirror, your image will punch you in the left side.
Luffy did it left because of Shanks.

OP_overlord
February 01, 2007, 10:53 PM
that makes alot of sence but i like the whole body scars like zoro, WB and Garp

Dice
October 29, 2007, 07:13 PM
Sorry I didn't read everything (again XD).
I just thought that at least Luffy's scar is on the left because he is right-handed. It's easier to cut the left part of the face. It could simply be a coincidence, a habit of Oda or he really is planing something.

Absolutio
October 29, 2007, 09:06 PM
I think it's more a matter of character design and maybe as someone stated, it's just easier for Oda to draw it at the left side with the fights and all.
I don't think that it has any significent importance (except Shank's scar, which was made by BlackBeard).

jobebob
November 01, 2007, 01:12 AM
I remember reading in an SBS that it was just Oda's style. If you notice, basically all major chars have something going on on their left side.

Freakzin
November 01, 2007, 09:33 PM
kinda off topic, i wonder if there is something to sanji eye the one with the hair on it, we already saw it, but there could be somethin to it

Imitorar
November 01, 2007, 09:34 PM
What do you mean, "we already saw it"? Sanji's left eye has never been shown.

Freakzin
November 01, 2007, 10:35 PM
really ?? i have a def feeling i saw just don't remember when... i'm just too lazy to search = /

gluttony
November 02, 2007, 07:44 AM
[QUOTE]I remember reading in an SBS that it was just Oda's style.[jobebob/QUOTE]

i think so too. not just the scars but the tatoos (nami's tatoo for example) are in the left side. plus, shanks lost his left harm, zoro's earings are on the left ear, and remember the alabasta arc - they also made the X on the left arm. Probably Oda has a thing for the left side:amuse but i think it has no big meaning

[QUOTE]i have a def feeling i saw just don't remember when... i'm just too lazy to search = /[Freakzin/QUOTE]

in the anime his left eye is shown but in the manga i have never seen it. i think that eye will be a mystery until the end of the series (like kakashi's face =P)

Imitorar
November 02, 2007, 09:26 AM
So there might be a filler episode of One Piece where they try to see Sanji's left eye? That would be awesome. "Sometimes, I like to have an extra lock of hair."

jobebob
November 02, 2007, 05:12 PM
So there might be a filler episode of One Piece where they try to see Sanji's left eye? That would be awesome. "Sometimes, I like to have an extra lock of hair."

It turns out that he has a sharingan ;)