PDA

View Full Version : Gerard/Mistgun

Shimon
October 21, 2008, 11:33 PM
Hello everyone I'm new and I've been itching to get this theory out there about one of Fairy Tail's strongest mages, Mist Gun. Now this is not fact this is only my prediction, to how Mist Gun ended up the way he is now. Here's the story: when Mist Gun was a little boy his father a former mage of Fairy Tail would tell him and all his childhood friends about the guild F.T. and all the adventures they had and how they worked together. His father's stories inspired Mist Gun and his friends, and so they all made a pact to someday all become mages of F.T. However, one day M.G. wondered away from his village to gather a present for his father's birthday. But, when he returned his village was burnt to the ground he rushed to his home and found the dead bodies of all his friends and his father just hanging onto life. M.G. held his father in his arms and was told that a dark guild had attacked and taken no prisoners, his father then told him to push forward with his dream of F.T. So after that M.G. went off on his own and trained his body, his mind, and his magic to no end. Then finally after all those years of training he appeared before the Master of F.T. and he was accepted when he mentioned his father. So M.G. made quite a name for himself in F.T. but he kept himself distant from all the members because he was afraid that if he built those bonds again they would be taken away from him and he would be powerless to prevent it. However, he would never forgive anyone who tried to destroy F.T. as shown in the war against Phantom Lord. That's why M.G. distances himself from everyone, but maybe one day he will wake up and see that he isn't powerless anymore and can protect his bonds with F.T. Well that's my background story for M.G. if you have any comments or concerns or even theories of your own just post it. Thank you all for your support!!! :)

ahoyazi
October 22, 2008, 12:05 AM
A nice guess, but...er..like Gray's and Erza's childehood mixed

so I don't think so @_@

LilDinky
October 22, 2008, 02:43 AM
i think the majority of fairy tail are orphans( erza, gray, natsu, gazille, lucy might as well have been) and the rest seems like they got bullied (luvia, and with luxus get angry when making fun of attitude i wouldnt be suprise if he was too) Misty prolly has a back ground some what similar to that, having no parent would be kind of normal. getting bullied could make him shy ... or maybe he just was born that way, there people like that in the real world. An other thing i was thinking is he might be a bit autistic,since he is drapped from toes to head, is anti social and seem to be smart in that chapter with the apple.

distorted
October 25, 2008, 11:55 PM
that sounds cliche and unreal to me.

I guess we wont know til later...

I bet His magic is Illusions and messing with the mind...

cuz dude... he took out 47 subguilds by himself.
musta been some nice AoE magic.
and also, cuz he can put ppl to sleep
lol

abc1233
January 03, 2010, 07:55 AM
I guess we can discuss this topic here.

Zatono raises an interesting point:

Not really good and evil, just manipulated and non-manipulated.

Uh oh. We have a problem here. I just noticed something a bit strange. The tattoo on the face of the child who was with Wendy doesn't match up with Mistgun's. It actually matches up perfectly with Gerard's as a child. Check it out.

This one is what Wendy remembers.
http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/145/14/

Here's Erza's memory now.
http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/145/09/

And now let's look at Mistgun.
http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/120/16/
The part of it above the eyebrow is different, and the hook on the cheek is a different shape from when it was when Wendy was rescued.

Simple artist error? I'd like to believe that, or else we have some theories thought to be confirmd about to be blown out of the water. Either that, or Mistgun decided to somehow edit his tattoo without leaving a trace of what used to be there before. However, there'd be no point in hiding his face if he could simply change or hide it with magic.

imo Mistgun changed the tattoo slightly when he got older to separate himself from gerard. I just think that the staff in the flashbacks is just too much of a giveaway.

Solfy
January 03, 2010, 08:55 AM
Just reposting my theory

Yeah, he was taught magic by Brain, he reveals it right when he's disarming Gerard's autodestruction spell on Nirvana. I'm unfortunately too lazy to check in which chapter exactly, but you won't have too much problems finding it.

Was he really stalking Erza ? Hm, does making him appearing watching right after Erza's panel count ? His panel certainly was placed there on purpose.

Hiding his face in FT to not be mistaken as a council member ?

1) The only ones who knew Siegrain's face in FT, before the manga events that is, were Erza and (most likely, since he's often getting problems with the council) Makarov.

I seriously doubt the members of the council are celebrities of some kind. The old council guy who became a cook after ToP didn't have over 9000 paparazzis near him. Not even one to be accurate.

Mistgun showed his face to Makarov to enter the guild, and Luxus saw it too, before the Fantasia events.

Would he want to hide his face from Makarov ? No.

It's implied that Luxus saw his face way later than Makarov did, and Mistgun has been hiding his face from the beginning, and have kept hiding it even after Luxus discovered it.

That leaves one option -> He was hiding his face from Erza.

2) On a (really) more subjective point, it would be too bland.

Gerard and Mistgun were depicted as extremely "romantic" (the litterature term, not the common one). Especially Gerard is shown to act because of his passions (I don't know if that's the right english word :x).

I mean, Gerard went completely mad while being consumed with anger, rage, dispair and fear. Even since he's been amnesic, he has been acting the same, trying to kill himself so Erza could live.

Both of them are shown throughout the manga as tortured minds and spirits.

I seriously doubt Mashima would use something as much rationnal and bland than not wanting to reveal that he has Siegrain's face to explain why Mistgun does not want to show his face.

Anyway, you may ignore the second point, because it's definately subjective, but the first is still pretty valid objectively speaking.

Now, up to...

"I know Gerard but I'm not him".

That sentence is definately another hint that Mistgun is a part of Gerard. Now, we're clearly able to say that Mistgun was the one to rescue Wendy. How come he said he was Gerard then ?

Quite simple. Following the split theory occuring after Gerard's fall to darkness, they could have split in some way, I don't want to throw an useless theory here, so I'll leave it like that.

So, when did Mistgun rescued Wendy ? 7 years ago. When did Gerard become evil ? 8 years ago.

Of course he was gonna say he's Gerard. If the split theory is correct, he's Gerard, but he's not him at the same time. Quite difficult to think about that when you're 12. Especially when you remember who you are, or who you aren't.

He presented himself as Gerard, half-true, half-false, to Wendy.

Now back to Fantasia events and the infamous quote ->

Mistgun should be around 19 and had time to think about it and then, Erza, the which he remembers very well and problably still loves, the which he knows he made suffer, the which he knows still like Gerard, the other Gerard, not him, appears before his eyes and sees his face.

He didn't lie nor he did he said the truth. 50/50. Mistgun got a guilty personnality, he don't want to make anyone else suffer, and that was the best solution (except for us that is :D)

Besides, do you even honestly think Mistgun is a regular name ? That sounds like a pseudonym.

Anima is another point. Yes, it means soul (I used to "study" latin a bit, it was horribly boring, don't ever try it). We don't know much, but the fact that Mistgun was either looking for the thing he calls Anima or running from it.

Something which is translated as soul seems to be hinting us even more to the splitting theory.

Well, that's just my humble advice anyway, but I'm really onto this, as you certainly have seen.

Anyway, the tattoo thing is interesting. I don't think Mistgun would "edit" his tattoo, otherwise, he'd pretty much "edit" his face.

So yeah, I'm betting on Mashima making a mistake, the staff indeed was too much of an hint (and Gerard was too busy at the Tower anyway).

Ero-Sanji
January 03, 2010, 09:30 AM
Something which is translated as soul seems to be hinting us even more to the splitting theory.

Yes of course OR it could have been the opposite as I said in my theory the boys could have been forced into one soul sharing one life force.

Re posting my theory:

I think that they are nothing more than twins or clones remember Mistgun said to Erza after fighting with Luxus: "I know who Gérard is but I'm not him".

That sentence alone makes me think that they are not the same person and that they never were. After a little research I found out that the word little Gérard or Mistgun said to Wendy was Anima if anybody missed that. Now Anima/Animus means spirit, breath (of life), soul etc in latin.

So I made up a little theory, what if the connection with those two boys where so close that they shared the same soul or perhaps i should say life force. Meaning that they know what the other knows and so on.

That would explain how Gérard knew about Natsu and how Mistgun knew about the connection between Erza and Gérard. It could also explain why Mistgun has a shy behavior knowing that his brother/clone/something is a bad person and that it would effect both himself and Erza.

Another thing is how he(Mistgun) didn't like the idea of Luxus nearly exposing him or that his shocked about the fact that Luxus found out. After thinking about it I came up with another theory; long time ago a group of scientist or perhaps I should say Dark magicians made horrible experiments on other people and/or children (kinda like orochimaru in Naruto). I think you get it by know but I'll explain a little more. These magicians or some of them are in fact the leaders the dark guilds. Some of the experiments are Gérard(and/or mistgun), Luxus and perhaps Urtear.

This would explain how Luxus still keeping a contact with his father found out about the secrets of Mistgun and himself(dragon lachryma). This would also explain the strange connection with Blaine and Gérard, perhaps before he became a slave he was in this Anima program and then as the sieglein projection met up with Blaine who taught him the rest or some more. Last but not least Urtear how come she wasn't with her mother? Kidnapping perhaps by the master of Grimoire hearts who of course experimented on her too so that she learned the Time of Arc magic and etc...

Taking a closer look I notice a big problem...

Mistgun said "he knew who Gérard was but that he wasn't him". As i wrote that almost instantly indicates that they never where the same person but if that is the case then why did Mistgun call himself as Gérard? The only way have to be that Mistgun is a clone of Gérard and that this Anima project made them share one soul so that they knew what the other was doing so at the time little Mistgun said Anima was also the time Gérard became evil. Remember that little mistgun left Wendy because she would be in danger if she stayed with him.

Pi3
January 03, 2010, 10:12 AM
Did anybody considered them being a twins?
Twins are 'known' to posess some kind of spiritual links, so Mystogun could feel what happens to Gerard, feel a bit like him (so he cares a lot about Erza)?

Seems a little too easy...

Solfy
January 03, 2010, 10:28 AM
Yeah, being twins seems too much easy and boring for such intense and mysterious characters.

Anyway, to Ero-Sanji, I already answered your point about "I know Gerard but I'm not him". I think that this is another hint that they splitted, but oh well, you can find it in the quote I posted anyway.

Ero-Sanji
January 03, 2010, 10:46 AM
@solfy

And I answered you, saying that the line isn't used by someone that has been splitted apart. Think about it if it as you stated then they were the same at one point. What you're saying is that he's still a part of Gérard and I'm against it because of that one sentence. Anyway that's not the heavy point in my theory instead the connection is what's fascinating to me. The way they know each others information kinda like if they shared the same soul. The part of the actual splitting has already been used in the form of Sieglein and I would detest the same thing happening again.

EDIT: I'll try to reform my theory:

Dark magicians(grimoire leader, Ivan and Blaine to name but a few) experiments on things and children(Gérard, Luxus and perhaps Urtear). The Anima project with Gérard as the test subject went successful they managed to make a clone or fuse the twin brothers genes together making one soul with two bodies. All the projects get stopped by someone, Luxus's by Makarov disbanding Ivan and taking care of Luxus.

Two boys wanders of the other ending up as a slave, Gérard and the other taking care on a little girl while also being on a quest for something perhaps his identity, Mistgun (or he could also have been called Gérard). The little girl Wendy asks for the boys name and the only name he could come up with was Gérard thanks to the Anima magic. The slave boy gets evil and the latter boy using the same connection founds out about that too leaving the little girl in safety since his own face was a danger to the world.

Since Luxus was an experiment himself and the fact that he still has/d a contact with his father he knew about the Anima project. Remember how he said "you're another..." to Mistgun could he have refered to him being another clone of Gérard in the same way Sieglein was or the fact that Mistgun was another experiment. Either way it freaked Mistgun out indicating that Mistgun is very cautious about his identity since his face is a face of crime and evilness.

Solfy
January 03, 2010, 11:12 AM
That could be possible, and that would be interesting indeed. Now I like both theories :D

Even if a point is flawed -> Raven Tail is independant, so I kind of doubt Ivan worked as a spy or an inside-man for Grimoire Heart when he was still in FT.

Ero-Sanji
January 03, 2010, 11:23 AM
That could be possible, and that would be interesting indeed. Now I like both theories :D

Even if a point is flawed -> Raven Tail is independant, so I kind of doubt Ivan worked as a spy or an inside-man for Grimoire Heart when he was still in FT.

Haha:D
But no, no, he wasn't a spy for Grimoire heart it was some independent works by "random" dark magicians who later on managed to make their own guilds. Now you made me think about it even more:p

What if Ivan f*ucked up and that's why the others are still together while he's outside perhaps even hiding. And by "f*ucked up" I mean getting busted by his own father.

Solfy
January 03, 2010, 11:39 AM
His mind is also pretty fucked up, which could be the reason of him being alone. Even Urtear isn't as creepy as he is.

Zatono
January 03, 2010, 01:33 PM
I like Ero-Sanji's theory the best so far. It explains a lot, except one thing. Why would Mistgun care so much about hiding his identity from Erza, or everything that has to do with Anima itself? He could probably use magic to hide change his face if he really wanted to, like how Mirajane can.

He could easily tell Erza everything she wants to know about Gerard since they have some sort of connection, and who knows what else he can do with all the information in his head.

Defiance
January 03, 2010, 02:14 PM
I guess we can discuss this topic here.

Zatono raises an interesting point:

imo Mistgun changed the tattoo slightly when he got older to separate himself from gerard. I just think that the staff in the flashbacks is just too much of a giveaway.

About the part from Zatono where he said that the tattoo from Mistgun is not matching the tattoo seen on the boy in Wendy's flashback, it seems to me that this was simply an unintentional error made by the writer, because later on, Erza is seen thinking of Mistgun's revealed face:

http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/129/07/ (http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/129/07/)

In this flashback, the tattoo does seem to be the exact same one we have seen so far on all Gerard versions, including the one seen in Wendy's flashback, (the one with the staff ;)).

Zatono
January 03, 2010, 02:46 PM
About the part from Zatono where he said that the tattoo from Mistgun is not matching the tattoo seen on the boy in Wendy's flashback, it seems to me that this was simply an unintentional error made by the writer, because later on, Erza is seen thinking of Mistgun's revealed face:

http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/129/07/ (http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/129/07/)

In this flashback, the tattoo does seem to be the exact same one we have seen so far on all Gerard versions, including the one seen in Wendy's flashback, (the one with the staff ;)).

In light of this evidence, I guess we can conclude that it was Mistgun's tattoo that was messed up originally. But it's weird that the writer would make it look very different then change it back like that. Maybe it was an idea that they decided to dump.

Ero-Sanji
January 03, 2010, 05:21 PM
Why would Mistgun care so much about hiding his identity from Erza, or everything that has to do with Anima itself? He could probably use magic to hide change his face if he really wanted to, like how Mirajane can.

He could easily tell Erza everything she wants to know about Gerard since they have some sort of connection, and who knows what else he can do with all the information in his head.

That's a good point and a mistake by me:facepalm

The thing about his shyness is easy and I think I said it before it's all because of Gérard being evil and that he could not show his since it could endanger the guild. Who knows perhaps even makarov would dispel him for being gérard etc...

Solfy
January 03, 2010, 07:07 PM
Which is why I like the splitting theory the most. Mistgun is guilty. He was still whole with Gerard when the latter attacked Erza and made her leave ToP. Mistgun did that things as well.

That'd explain both the shyness and his particular uneasiness towards Erza.

Urtear
January 03, 2010, 07:46 PM
i think the tattoos ARE different, maybe the author messed up the second time and forgot to make them different? and sometimes cleaners have to erase some of the picture and redraw it, so that is also a factor?

mystogan:

Gerard:
http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/162/19/

Mystogan's tattoo reaches down past his mouth and the cross shaped part on the sides is curled, also the parts directly below his eye are pointy

Gerard's tattoo stops a little bit before his mouth. the cross shaped part on the sides isn't curled, and there's a ball like pattern directly below his eye

Zatono
January 03, 2010, 08:00 PM
@Urtear - Take a look at Mistgun here. http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/129/07/

He now has a tattoo that resembles Gerard's exactly. My guess is that in chapter 120, it was either artist error, or an idea that they dropped 9 chapters later.

Solfy
January 03, 2010, 08:30 PM
http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/163/14/

The tattoo size seems to vary on Gerard. If it's so much variable, it must be because it's not really a key factor between Gerard and Mistgun.

Krono
January 03, 2010, 09:19 PM
And now let's look at Mistgun.
The part of it above the eyebrow is different, and the hook on the cheek is a different shape from when it was when Wendy was rescued.

Withing the next couple of pages it looks more like the one on Gerard:

http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/120/17/
http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/120/18/

So I'd image the tattoo is supposed to be identical and what you're seeing is just minor variations in drawing it from panel to panel.

SerpentTailedAngel
January 03, 2010, 11:28 PM
I created an account just to say this:
THAT TATTOO HAS NEVER BEEN DRAWN CONSISTENTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ever since Sieg Hart that fricken tattoo has been changing. You know why you never get to see the full top half of it? It's cuzz Hiro Mashima never settled on a top half he liked! That tattoo has been stretching and shrinking on Gerard/Siegrain's face since the first chapter.

Some other people posted something similar, but I really felt the need to say that.

Unlucky Boy
January 05, 2010, 04:56 PM
Theories aside... Mistgun was terrified when he saw Wendy in FT. He must be afraid that she would uncover his true identity. He said before that he isnt Gerard but we can already say for sure that he was the Gerard who traveled with Wendy 7 years ago so that's not completely true. He must have a good reason hiding his real identity.

And on another note, it doesnt seem to me he joined FT to watch Erza. He only got into action when the guild itself was threatened, first by Phantom Lord and then by Luxus.

Krono
January 07, 2010, 11:30 PM
He must have a good reason hiding his real identity.

And on another note, it doesnt seem to me he joined FT to watch Erza. He only got into action when the guild itself was threatened, first by Phantom Lord and then by Luxus.

Agreed. Assuming for a moment that Mistgun is the person that helped Wendy, he's hiding from someone that isn't Erza. As he got to know Wendy he found out something about her that made him think that she would be in danger if she stayed near him. He then proceeded to stash her away at the first out of the way safe place he could find, in enough of a rush that he seems to have asked the ghost to take care of her the moment he walked in the ghost's door.

This brings a couple possibilities to mind. First that Mistgun is running/hiding from someone that would have an unpleasant interest in Dragon Slayers. Second, they're after him because he knows too much. Third the reason he joined Fairy Tail might have been to keep an eye on Natsu while he was younger.

As for why he hides his face instead of disguising himself with magic I can think of a couple possibilities. Maintaining a transformed face takes energy for one. It's also apparently not that difficult to break judging by Makarov and what's his name. Wrappings hiding his face are simpler, and just as effective.

Xiraiya
January 11, 2010, 08:48 AM
A couple of things, why is everyone going on about a tattoo that changes constantly yet looks too similar to matter in the end?

And also, who said Mistgun is new to the guild?
For all we know he's been in the guild since they were all kids, he seems like he's been there for a long time.

Sollum
January 13, 2010, 07:10 AM
Maybe Tattoo is some sort of magical seal, that changes its appearance based on the acts of its master?

Mystguns looks sorta like moon and its "calm" whilst Gerards on the other hand looks more like hook-needle that will stab you or deceive (like gerard did to council)

I'd say they are more like a twin brothers, both given a tattoo "seal". Think of it. Gerard is kidnapped by evil dudes, Mystgun charges to save his brother, finds Weendy on his way. But suddenly something goes wrong and he is forced to leave Weendy at "Cats Shelter".

Razh
January 13, 2010, 10:09 AM
Maybe Tattoo is some sort of magical seal, that changes its appearance based on the acts of its master?

It doesn't change appearance, it's always the same. I should think that Mashima has better things to do than watch that Gerard's/Mistgun's tattoo always has the same proportions.

Igniel
January 13, 2010, 11:04 PM

I think it's just the after effect of having lacrima placed into your body forcefully. (i.e. Gerard, Luxus, & possibly Mistgun so far - just a theory based on their tattoo similarity style-wise). You could throw in Cobra as well (since he was another "false" dragon slayer ala Luxus but there was no sign of a tattoo on him. However, that can be questioned because only his hands & face/neck were exposed).

senewe
January 14, 2010, 01:38 AM
wendy saved by mist gun. why?
seven years ago, gerard had already been on devil mode...
and he was not traveling, but continue to build the tower of paradise..
and besides, he was not alone at that point....

Sollum
January 16, 2010, 06:05 PM
the truth is here!
http://mangastream.com/read/fairy_tail/167-30/14

Railander
February 09, 2010, 03:20 PM
I think Mystgun is Edoras' Gérard and his story is something like:
When he was a child he was hold as a slave with some friends and met Erza (edoras one) but she became mad and turned her back agaisnt him and casted him out of Edoras to Earthland.

Following the basis seen so far with every character counterpart of Edoras I find this prediction to be very likely or at least something along those lines.

firework
February 12, 2010, 11:56 AM
I think Mystgun is Edoras' Gérard and his story is something like:
When he was a child he was hold as a slave with some friends and met Erza (edoras one) but she became mad and turned her back agaisnt him and casted him out of Edoras to Earthland.

Following the basis seen so far with every character counterpart of Edoras I find this prediction to be very likely or at least something along those lines.

Agreed with some parts. I'm pretty certain that mistgunner is from Edoras. He came to earthland as a child because of some reason, found wendy, was sent back to edoras, and returned to fairy tale. most likely, he was sent for a similar reason that the 2 cats were sent maybe FT spying or something but turned good.

Also, i heard a rumor that in Edoras you could only use magic with magical objects like the staff natsu is holding the cover of the latest volume or something. not sure if its true, but mystgunner is always carrying staffs on him so that may help

gnash
June 30, 2010, 05:59 AM
Well, now that Mistgun's history is more or less cleared up and everybody knows that Gerard and Mistgun aren't the same person at all, I thought about some other stuff, mainly about Gerard.

Let's face it, as he's basically a recycled Sieg Hart from Rave (hell he even got recycled two times because he's just that awesome :P) don't you think he just HAS to play a rather large role in the later parts of the story?
Sieg defeated a pretty much invincible opponent at that time (Haja), was the Guardian of Resha's grave and on top of that he was responsible for all the reinforcements arriving at the scene of the final battle, after all.
So I predict that Mashima has something similar in mind for Gerard. Someone like Urtear comes to mind as a fitting opponent for such a battle, as she was the one responsible for his earlier downfall, with him leading the council into firing Aetherion and trying to resurrect Zeref and all. And having him showing up as an ally to Fairy Tail in a showdown against Grimoire Heart would be just awesome. :>

Zatono
June 30, 2010, 08:53 AM
Sieg's death was epic in every meaning of the word, and I gotta admit, it'd be kind of lame if it was retconned like that like. Sure, Gerard and Mistgun will definitely play important roles in the future, but I'd rather them not be THAT similar to Sieg.