PDA

View Full Version : Review D's Ten Comments - Bleach c249

Djudge
October 28, 2006, 01:13 PM
First and foremost, I want to dedicate this paricular 10 Comments column to my proofer and good friend, AkiDot. She really stepped up to the plate for me the last few weeks when I was out with a small fracture in my wrist, and for that:

THANK YOU! :p

Also, thanks in large part to resident admin Gold Knight here on MH for starting this weekly tradition; it's a great idea to kill time now that more and more Bleach translators are popping up here. Though, there was only one script this week, hopefully the last rush of people showing up can get sustained so I can just devote myself to this weekly column for Bleach here on MH. And last, but definitely not least, kudos for this week's images courtesy of the folk buzzing away at the M7 hive.

---== B L E A C H c249 - Back to the Innocent ==---

http://img439.imageshack.us/img439/7884/01bm1.gif
"I swear, I'm not a Hanatarou clone!"

1. Neru's Compulsions
Okay, we've pretty much established that the little girl's got some spunk and is easily the most loveable of the purely comedic relief characters (Hanatarou, Keigo). Though, you guys have to admit that naivety is going to have to come back and bite her and her brothers in the butt somehow to help round out their flat characters a bit. Hanatarou periodically overcame his cowardice and Keigo... err, nevermind. The point is, if Neru is an Arrancar (as she appears) she should at least be more latently powerful than her adopted siblings => SO DO SOMETHING!

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/7986/02ch4.gif
Something about leaving breadcrumbs...?

2. The Great Desert Bros. Strike Back!
Well, while I don't expect much from Neru's siblings, I'm surprised that Kubo took precious panel space to break them up. If each one strikes out on their own (or at least preserve Neru being all alone), how will their brand of humor persevere? Still, it won't matter much in the short-term... (see #10)

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/5061/03dk5.gif
The Arrancar obviously don't offer dental benefits...

3. When Eyepatches Don't Work
It's been a while since I've seen a thoroughly "ugly" (yet functional) character design from Kubo-sensei. Noitora's doesn't have that monstrous feel as he does that sleazy rat air about him. While not as imposingly devious as say, Mayuri, there's something about Noitora (personality aside) that just seems to click with me, especially that goofy headwear of his. Though, he needs to lose that eyepatch; it looks more like he slapped some tighty-whiteys on his face than a machismo statement.

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/3928/04dj0.gif
Noitora: OMG did u liek t3h bewbz?

4. Sexual Harrassment! Part 1!
So, in the beginning we had Orihime's massive girth, then we moved on to being graced by Matsumoto's... two "friends." (Hell, who can possibly forget Kubo's summer spread with all the girls on the beach @__@?) The ecchi was fine and all for a shounen manga, but then appeared our short-lived friend and everyone's favorite blatant rapist Arrancar, Luppi. Is Noitora gonna be the new lecher mascot for the Arrancar? With a face for radio, I hope not!

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/4172/05dm7.gif
Ulquiorra: I shall render you impotent with my robotic rhetoric.

5. THE CAGE
Seriously, it sounds like a UFC event or something... Anyway, props to Ulquiorra for managing to ensnare... wait a tick, it's Orihime, nevermind. Sorry to all you Ori-fans out there, but you've got to admit that even though she's got a bright sun in that head of hers, the forecast is perpetual overcast. Out of all the female characters in BLEACH, she's bound to be the one on the chopping block given the way her personality was designed (ah well, at least OriXIchi fans got a few tasty scenes a few chapters back). But wait... will I actually ever defend Orihime for once!? See part #9 for more!

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/2667/06qy5.gif
Forget Kyouka Suigetsu, Aizen's sex beams > ALL

6. Sexual Harrassment Discrimination! Part 2!
So... all (most?) Arrancar servants seen thus far are female, eh? Well, I guess it'd be more forgivable if Rori (Menori?) didn't look like an Arrancar-ized version of Isane.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/9953/07yo1.gif
The world's most valuable breath mint.

7. Hougyoku: The Freshmaker
Gotta admit that if they don't exist already, home ergonomic design companies are going to be jumping all over that nifty cylindrical stacking shelves thingy. Anyway, I just had to point this panel out again simply because I can't get over just how small such an infinitely powerful thing can be.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/1315/08se5.gif
So Orihime's power is a godly Freudian defense mechanism!?

8. Silly Aizen, you talk in RIDDLES.
Okay, so we've confirmed here and now that Aizen really needs the aspect of Orihime's powers that can reverse entire events and restore an entity to a previous point in its existence. But... WHY?

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/7951/09ym1.gif
With my ability... I'll prove Djudge wrong--!!

9. CANON: Orihime sweats when she thinks!
Haha, okay okay, I'll lay off the Orihime hate for a while because she's seriously impressed me here in this chapter with this revelation here. The implications of this are enormous of course, but how will she able to pull it off with Aizen doting on everyone's favorite artifact every waking moment (hell, does he even sleep anyway?), not to mention the Espada lurking about?

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/4637/10qa2.gif
"Hey Ichigo, want to see my Pokeymanz?"

10. It's the FOOT! Turtle power!
Ah yes, the return of the ever-popular "mystery" foot device that threw many of us for a loop back in the epic Soul Society arc. Betting early? 1:2 for Grimmjow, 1:4 for a new Arrancar, 1:10 for a random Espada member, 1:100 for a random Shinigami, 1:1000 for Neru. Personally, I hope there's some Jaggerjack in the near future...

11. The Bottom Line: 2.5/5
This was just an okay chapter, we got introduced to a new Bleach perv in Noitora and we found out that Aizen pretty much runs Las Noches like Lexcorp. Orihime's resolution to be useful used up a lot of ink over at Shueisha's presses (yay for black introspective backgrounds!) and lastly the stalker feet make a triumphant return! Please switch to a non-Shinigami perspective (Ishida or Sado) next week, okay Kubo-sensei?

weixiaobao
October 28, 2006, 01:49 PM
The rating is quite harsh lol.
Thanks for doing it.
Do you know who going to do One Piece's 10 comments?

ibra87
October 28, 2006, 01:56 PM
Welcome back, Djudge! It's really good to have you back here, hope your wrist is fine now.
With GK gone now, I am truly happy that someone else is filling the gap. I'm sure all the Bleach fans are as well!

Noitora: OMG did u liek t3h bewbz?
Rofl, didn't see that coming, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's what he really meant...

Okay, so we've confirmed here and now that Aizen really needs the aspect of Orihime's powers that can reverse entire events and restore an entity to a previous point in its existence. But... WHY?
If memory serves me right, when Urahara created the Hougyoku, it was in it's complete form. He then "sealed" it's power and hid it. And as far as I know, Aizen is much smarter than Orihime and he probably knows her plan, so maybe he wants her to start reverting the Hougyoku and stop her exactly at the point where it's complete? Because I don't think he trusts her enough to actually show her where his only way to victory is... That's at least what came to my mind at the moment I read this.

10. It's the FOOT! Turtle power!
Ah, I remember this, but I can't really remember whom it was. And we've seen one in chapter 247 (or was it 246?) with Rukia's and Renji's feet, but that was another kind. I guess it's just Kubo Tite's hobby to draw feet in the shadow.

That's it. It was really great to read your comments, and I hope you will be able to start translating from next chapter on. Please, send my and mangahelpers' utmost gratitudes to Aki as she has been pretty helpful in your absence.

WinterLion
October 28, 2006, 02:00 PM
First and foremost: Thank you D for the great comments and for carrying on this weekly tradition now that GK has stepped down! And I'm glad to see that your wrist is better and you're able to type.

Loved the comments and your humor. As the way this chapter was... there isn't much to comment on aside from what you've already covered... but I'll make one comment about Orihime.

I'm not a fan of Orihime, but I also don't hate her. Always thought she was a little blah though... but she proved me wrong this chap. And as far as predictions goes... I'm thinking that things are definitely not going to work out the way she's planning right now, but in the end, I'm willing to bet that she will be the one to "return the Hougyoku to a state before it existed." Urahara tried to destroy it and couldn't find a way. That means that it pretty much can't be destroyed using any normal method. So... the honors will be done by Orihime. (Any takers on the bet? :fan)

Djudge
October 28, 2006, 02:16 PM
The rating is quite harsh lol.
Thanks for doing it.
Do you know who going to do One Piece's 10 comments?

Heh, I've wanted to switch the way I look at things so here's the basis for scoring chapters:
1 - Recap chapters; NOTHING in the way of plot progression/character development.
2 - Buffer/transition chapters consisting of skirmishes/small talk.
3 - New characters/terms/plot devices are introduced OR there were instances of particularly inspired artwork.
4 - Usually reserved for chapters with especially strong emotional ties forged with the reader.
5 - Gold standard; a defining chapter within the series as a whole (extremely rare).

Welcome back, Djudge! It's really good to have you back here, hope your wrist is fine now.
With GK gone now, I am truly happy that someone else is filling the gap. I'm sure all the Bleach fans are as well!
Rofl, didn't see that coming, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's what he really meant...
If memory serves me right, when Urahara created the Hougyoku, it was in it's complete form. He then "sealed" it's power and hid it. And as far as I know, Aizen is much smarter than Orihime and he probably knows her plan, so maybe he wants her to start reverting the Hougyoku and stop her exactly at the point where it's complete? Because I don't think he trusts her enough to actually show her where his only way to victory is... That's at least what came to my mind at the moment I read this.
Ah, I remember this, but I can't really remember whom it was. And we've seen one in chapter 247 (or was it 246?) with Rukia's and Renji's feet, but that was another kind. I guess it's just Kubo Tite's hobby to draw feet in the shadow.

That's it. It was really great to read your comments, and I hope you will be able to start translating from next chapter on. Please, send my and mangahelpers' utmost gratitudes to Aki as she has been pretty helpful in your absence.

Y'know, that explains that quasi-opaque shield that's around the Hougyoku's "orb." The theory makes sense and would definitely fit the Aizen-is-a-conniving-bastard bill; I love it!

First and foremost: Thank you D for the great comments and for carrying on this weekly tradition now that GK has stepped down! And I'm glad to see that your wrist is better and you're able to type.

Loved the comments and your humor. As the way this chapter was... there isn't much to comment on aside from what you've already covered... but I'll make one comment about Orihime.

I'm not a fan of Orihime, but I also don't hate her. Always thought she was a little blah though... but she proved me wrong this chap. And as far as predictions goes... I'm thinking that things are definitely not going to work out the way she's planning right now, but in the end, I'm willing to bet that she will be the one to "return the Hougyoku to a state before it existed." Urahara tried to destroy it and couldn't find a way. That means that it pretty much can't be destroyed using any normal method. So... the honors will be done by Orihime. (Any takers on the bet? :fan)

How about Orihime + valiant effort = first death? (We've already seen half her face grated away, we want the full buck!) Still HIGHLY unlikely IMO (given her popularity as a main heroine after all), but there's just nothing that cements heroic determination other than the demise of a comrade. In any case, I'll persevere not to make the knocks too corny funny. When we get a meatier chapter, I'll kick it up another gear!

Luckas
October 28, 2006, 03:14 PM
I'm glad you decided to comment Bleach and my compliments for your jokes they are hilarious.
I was surprised for the sudden decision of Neru to follow Ichigo, I didn't see it coming and I'm not sure why Tite did that. Just a curiosity, why do you think Neru is female? I thought the question wasn't clearly resolved.
About Noitora, even in this case, Kubo confuses me: why an arrancar should be so woried or interested in Inoue? I hope it isn't only an excuse to explain how Ulquiorra convinced Orihime. I really think the discussion between these two arrancars is strange and I got the impression Ulquiorra explained a plan that you think is clever but who hear you thinks is silly.
I'm not a fan of Inoue, but I don't despise her. Stated that I don't think Inoue make a good impression in this chapter, I agree she couldn't escape Ulquiorra when she met him in the tunnel, but what happend after I believe it is illogic. The multi layered psicological "cage" Ulquiorra stated he put Inoue in doesn't seem very solid. And how, I saw in the Bleach discusion and here, everyone, as me, thought Aizen showed Orihime the Hougyoku to obtain the exact reaction Inoue had.
I found interesting, other than entertaining :D, the arrancar female guards and their apparent devotion to Aizen. I don't know which role they could have, if they have one? Snd I think it's ridiculous they're worried Inoue could be a danger for Aizen.

Two small notes I found fascinating the Hougyoku container and, if I remeber correctely, it wasn't never completely cleared of who was the mysterious feet in the dark in tha Soul Society arc.

Thanks for your comments I really enjoed them.

mangadictus
October 28, 2006, 03:27 PM
The FOOT=Isshin? Ugh!!!

kiddo7
October 28, 2006, 03:29 PM
Hey Djudge,
when Gold Knight annouced that he will discontinue his bleach comments I thought that would be a shame, and when the fourth mentioned that someone else could create a thread for bleach comments I thought it has to be done, so I went ahead and created one hoping that people would comment and not let this great opportunity for discussion die. unfortuantely though I did not have the time to comment my self as I was swamped with tests and big projects for my engineering classes. And as i checked back on my topic occasionally I noticed that there where not many replies. I was fearing that there was little hope for bleach comments. But then with the arrival of bleach 249, you stepped up to the plate and saved the day! thank you so much for that!

now to your comments
(in no particular order)

I myself would have given the chapter a little higher rating even according to your scoring. After all we did find out exactly what kind of a hold Aizen has on orihime, and we can guess with relatively great certainty what he wants with her powers.

Notice how he told her that its power is very much depleted from overuse? essentially he wants her as a battery charger. with her arround to "reject events" he can upgrade maybe even 3-5 arancar a day and then have it restored by her overnight so can get back to business the next morning. We know that she is not essential to his plan as she was an after thought and ulquiora pointed this out himself.
And about his whole preformance about trusting her...
He does not trust her anymore than he trusted hinamori-chan. Unless if by trust he means he is confident enough in her susseptability to his charm, hypnosys and reign of fear, that he will be able to manipulate her into doing anything he wants and that he probably already anticipated all the actions she will chose to take and found them not threatening to his plans.

I really do not have much to ad about the horny pervy arancar except that it seams somewhat reminiscent of the conversation that byakya had with zaraki and ichimaru at the beginning of the SS arc. Not because of the content of the conversation but more because of the apparent "closeness" of the ones participating.

beofre i go let me just add that I loved your humor during your comments. I was cracking up while reading the whole time.
"Orihime sweats when she thinks" has to be the best comment out there!

Siedhr
October 28, 2006, 04:54 PM
Djudge, I really loved your comments this week. I'm glad someone decided to pick up where GK left off, and especially glad it is you (always liked your snarkiness over at Bleachforums, as well as your translations). Keep it up, I look forward to reading them every week.

then appeared our short-lived friend and everyone's favorite blatant rapist Arrancar, Luppi.
Funny you should mention the tentacle Arrancar. I don't know if you know this, I'm betting you don't, but Doctor Ten is the pen-name of a rather (in)famous yaoi mangaka, renowned for her portryal of shota and tentacle sex. Un unwilling pun in your topic subject (D's Ten) only perverts like me could see and enjoy. :tem

conan
October 31, 2006, 06:37 AM
glad to Have you back Djudge, havent seen you in a while around these areas or at the translation area, loved your comments, youwere a bit harsh on the rating and on orihime's part but your sarcastic way of showing things really lightened things up.

I dont have much to add on your comments, I agree with you about everything you said about noitora, but about orihime and aizen showing her the hougyoku, I think he is messing with her mind somehow and he knows what she is thinking, he always seems to know, and remeber what ulquiorra said about this being a game to him, I just didnt find much attention to that in your comments, other than tht, thanks for taking the time to do the ten comments, hope your wrist is okay and good luck with your next ten comments.

AkiDotress
November 01, 2006, 10:10 PM
lol, looks like you were still high on the vicadin man XD.

I'm sure you'll up the analysis in the next installment, but can you spin some crackhead theories next this week? I always liked that about BF back when you and everyone got started over there!

I'll take over for the scripts so you can take care of this column!

Gold Knight
November 02, 2006, 09:05 AM
Heya there D, awesome to see you picked up Bleach. I just now read the chapter, myself, and guess where I went immediately afterwards? ;)

Great job on the comments and especially for making a chapter like this one seem more interesting than it was, that was the difficult thing I had been having with Bleach chapters lately (with 248 I couldn't even generate 10 comments). Hopefully they'll be a bit more involved in coming weeks.

1. I think Neru will most definitely show us something soon enough. Everybody starts out kind of naive, so it makes sense an Arrancar like Neru would, too. I'll be willing to bet that a meeting with Wonderweiss is imminent.

2. That was a pretty funny moment, though. Probably just done for the comedy of it, but I think it's cool that we're also kind of experiencing the situation from the perspective of three very apparently overpowered companions. That was pretty brave of them all to not run and hide, though I suppose they felt they didn't have very many choices.

3. Noitora (? I kind of prefer Noitre for some reason) - yeah, you hit it on the head with the "sleazy rat air." I like that Kubo isn't forgetting that the Espada are for the most part consisted of people who most likely had an unhealthy attraction to the world after their deaths. Noitre in particular definitely seems like he was a former criminal. I like his design too (aside from the eyepatch, I agree on that being a tad overdone) but he appears to me a little too Orochimaru-like while being more of a flunky.

4. I had that same feeling of "rapist! rapist!" from Noitre too... and haha, a face for radio he has, indeed...

5. Yeah, Orihime's not the brightest bulb around, and exactly for that reason I thought she'd follow her heart more often than, say, Rukia. But I had suspected early on that she had actually gone willingly with the Espada in order to somehow sabotage them, and looks like that's the case, after all... but maybe Orihime should go into acting, because she certainly fooled me a while ago.

6. Aizen must have decided Hugh Hefner's lifestyle was the way to go.

7. The Hougyou reminds me a bit of the ring in Lord of the Rings, actually.

8. The biggest question of this chapter, I think. It's obvious that Aizen isn't fooled one bit by Orihime's show of loyalty, and he showed her the Hougyou for a reason. So why does he want Orihime to do anything to his precious treasure? Whatever it is, you can bet it's nothing that's good for Ichigo and his friends.

9. Heh, yeah. I was glad to see that Orihime was faking, after all. She may be dumb, but not THAT dumb to completely abandon her friends just because she perceived them as being weaker than the Espada. Especially when she's fought beside them at the Soul Society, and in turn she knew nothing about the Arrancar. But I'll bet you that she DID kind of want to see whether Ichigo would come after her or not, since he did that for Rukia. Can't resist being a damsel in distress for that reason, either...

10. It's Gin! Heh... I wish.

>>> I think I would've given it a 3 at least, since it did give us a character, and also a resolution by Neru and his group, not to mention revealing how Orihime wasn't betraying her friends after all. As well as that feeling of "what will happen next?" I agree that it wasn't all that interesting a chapter, though, but it deserves at least an average rating, I thought.

Great job Djudge, hope you'll come back and do this again :)

white silver
November 03, 2006, 11:09 PM
[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Nice one Djudge. Anyways, do you think Aizen would find out about Inoue's intentions about rejecting the existence of the Hougyoku.

goofy_man
November 12, 2006, 02:39 PM
Forget Kyouka Suigetsu, Aizen's sex beams > ALL
*dies of laughter*

A better one:
Bakudou #69: Beam of Sexiness :XD

But....you are right....lol
It worked on Hinamori....and possibly on Orihime (or at least she's making it look like they did....)
Aizen just has that.....aura about him it seems to sway the younger female characters.....