PDA

View Full Version : Discussion One Piece vs Full Metal Alchemist

Elyon A. Luna
January 09, 2010, 12:07 PM
Let's do an interesting poll

I'm somewhat tired of the eternal clash between the WSJ "Big Three"

I was planning to (again) state what sets OP ahead of the other two, but that's not the point of this topic.

It is to set the series against another popular and much better constructed (IMO better than OP, for it had much less time to construct a stablished world. Then again, the former was intended to be a much shorter series and he managed to construct something wonderful out of it)

I do not read FMA (though I'd like to and will surely do) have only seen the first anime and the first eight of Brotherhood, but its a great series too.

I won't give an opinion, at least until I've read FMA, so please vote

Mushashi
January 09, 2010, 11:19 PM
out of much consideration and mind warpage i voted for FMA. they are both in my top 10 easily. i cant choose between tbh i love them both. but imma have to go with fma

Samui
January 10, 2010, 12:35 PM
Both of them are on my top 5, though I will choose One Piece. It's not that OP is better, it's just that my vote goes to OP because I enjoy it much more, so It's my favorite manga along side Vinland Saga.

But anyway, OP and FMA are way different. Can you really compare them?

Tumerking
January 15, 2010, 09:14 PM
OP is just bad guy v good guy and good guy always wins x 1000. The art style is ridiculous (for me at least) and the I can't stand the horribly cliched characters.

FMA is far superior than One Piece in every way (at least to me it is). Also, Full Metal Alchemist is 103 chapters long and is very close to its end. That is something OP will never have.

Mushashi
January 15, 2010, 09:49 PM
to sustain a battle manga for 12 years without it growing old and boring is quite hard i imagine. it is more detailed in explanations. arakwa has more assistants then oda aswell. and oda pumps them out faster. sure fma is twice as long chapter wise but op comes out 4 times as fast. although i voted for fma it comes down to personel preference. but hell i read both :D

LilaChan
January 16, 2010, 03:51 PM
to sustain a battle manga for 12 years without it growing old and boring is quite hard i imagine. it is more detailed in explanations. arakwa has more assistants then oda aswell. and oda pumps them out faster. sure fma is twice as long chapter wise but op comes out 4 times as fast. although i voted for fma it comes down to personel preference. but hell i read both :D

Actually OP releases about 80 pages a month, FMA releases about 40 pages a month. So I would say OP releases 2 times faster. But Arakawa have worked on other project along side with FMA (according to wikipedia anyway).

I haven't read either series. I'm watching FMA:B right now, I've seen the first anime series too. But that's it. So I won't vote for either, but I have a feeling if I bothered to read both, I would have voted for FMA. Since I don't really like long running shounen battle manga.

salam-daim
January 16, 2010, 09:47 PM
haha... that's intersent opinion ... but one piece it's one of the most popular manga in japon ... and the quality is not lacking ... I like FMA but I prefer one piece .... because I enjoy by every chapter every week
bashing a chef-d'œuvre like one piece thats mean you are new in manga world

Akiyama
January 16, 2010, 10:05 PM
I don't really see the point with these ??? vs ??? which is the better manga threads. Every manga is individual in and of itself. It's basically comparing apples to oranges. Unless you read both of them why would you even comment. Do you base your vote on sales, art, story, personal taste? (rhetorical)

Don't turn this into a bashing thread of opinions =.=

I do encourage friendly conversation to your heart's content. ^_^

NAM61
January 28, 2010, 10:26 PM
i do not like OP but i think FMA is my favorite

Oblivion
January 30, 2010, 09:18 PM
Both have an intruiging plot. OP is more on the funny side while FMA is more on the darker side. Both are amazing mangas but if i had to choose it'd be OP.

I like the world, the fights and the humor, the characters and the fights in OP than in FMA after all.

But seriously both are up their in the best shounen mangas of all time.

howbigis1gb
March 10, 2010, 08:11 PM
FMA is much superior story-wise. And I enjoy it more. Nothing wrong with OP, but it never stuck me as anything more than a funny movie that you watch with popcorn. Sure it may be epic, especially with the recent chapters, but comparing OP with FMA is like comparing Rush Hour with the Shawshank Redemption. I love them both, but FMA (like Shawshank) will be remembered far longer and will go down as as one of the great stories told in manga

slippy
March 11, 2010, 02:20 AM
FMA is much superior story-wise. And I enjoy it more. Nothing wrong with OP, but it never stuck me as anything more than a funny movie that you watch with popcorn. Sure it may be epic, especially with the recent chapters, but comparing OP with FMA is like comparing Rush Hour with the Shawshank Redemption. I love them both, but FMA (like Shawshank) will be remembered far longer and will go down as as one of the great stories told in manga

i spot a fanboy

i watched the first anime before trying the FMA manga and I think I was done and happy with FMA after the anime. The manga did nothing for me and didn't keep me intrigued. But people seem to like it a lot so I guess it's doing something right.

Your comparison is funny btw

howbigis1gb
March 11, 2010, 06:01 AM
i spot a fanboy

i watched the first anime before trying the FMA manga and I think I was done and happy with FMA after the anime. The manga did nothing for me and didn't keep me intrigued. But people seem to like it a lot so I guess it's doing something right.

Your comparison is funny btw

A fan would do, than you very much. I'm not sure how many chapters of the manga you read. Granted, it starts off a little slow, but the pace picks up very fast. I started with the original anime too, but the manga IMO is much superior.

It's a beautiful, wonderful work with very few plot holes. There has been a lot of foreshadowing, and every character is given a role to play.

Curious, but have you seen the new anime? There's also a dub of it airing on Adult Swim (you can catch it from their website, although they stream only that week's episode)

bunshindattebayo
March 11, 2010, 07:14 AM
Where's the "I like both" option?

No, seriously. Both OP and FMA have the same epic vibe, character design, humor, plot, and intense level of a climax.

FMA is to monthly shonen manga what OP is to weekly shonen manga.

slippy
March 11, 2010, 05:22 PM
A fan would do, than you very much. I'm not sure how many chapters of the manga you read. Granted, it starts off a little slow, but the pace picks up very fast. I started with the original anime too, but the manga IMO is much superior.

It's a beautiful, wonderful work with very few plot holes. There has been a lot of foreshadowing, and every character is given a role to play.

Curious, but have you seen the new anime? There's also a dub of it airing on Adult Swim (you can catch it from their website, although they stream only that week's episode)

I read some of the beginning and then scattered chapters in between to see what it was like then.

I watched two episodes of the new anime, but I really had no interest in it sorry =[

Also a related and unrelated question: why is the word epic thrown around so much these days? Can epic-ness be proven?

howbigis1gb
March 14, 2010, 02:19 AM
I read some of the beginning and then scattered chapters in between to see what it was like then.

I watched two episodes of the new anime, but I really had no interest in it sorry =[

Also a related and unrelated question: why is the word epic thrown around so much these days? Can epic-ness be proven?

Again; the first two episodes are extremely slow, but the pace picks up. I'd link you random clips that showcase why you should watch the anime/read the manga, but I'd hold back from doing that for a few reasons.

And as for the word "epic" - it's an opinion. I mean; if I can say the show is "good", "bad" or "boring", I can say it's epic as well. YMMV, but that's what I think. "Good-ness" can't be proved either methinks. Also; the word sounds nice.

BBB Banana
March 21, 2010, 10:49 PM
FMA is better IMO it is very adcting it's a shame it is a monthly manga cause that ruins most of the mood created by the previous chapter.

howbigis1gb
March 31, 2010, 05:25 AM
FMA is better IMO it is very adcting it's a shame it is a monthly manga cause that ruins most of the mood created by the previous chapter.

Hmm. But Arakawa packs so much material in it that weekly chapters would seem too... incomplete. And I don't expect her to churn out the same quality 40 pages in a week. In any case - it's almost finished now; so you can read a 108(?) chapters in one sitting :)

THM Nindo
April 01, 2010, 09:33 AM
FMA is the best IMO.

One piece is good, really good, and its humour is better than the FMA humour, but I don't know... FMA really gets me...

It might because I'm very close to my little brother and I like the relation between Ed and Al, but this manga really moved me...
Can't wait to see how this will end!

GEshode
April 01, 2010, 10:45 AM
Both awesome, but I am up to date to FMA and the story at the moment is awesome...

◆ T.D.A ◆
April 01, 2010, 01:34 PM
FMA is more mature, and focuses a lot more mature topics, while One Piece does a really good shounen action manga.

bittman
April 08, 2010, 05:38 AM
It appears I've already voted on this, but I've forgotten whatever reasoning I had at the time.

Voted One Piece.

Basically, I believe FMA has better characters, more realism and a far better story than almost any other manga to date. The story continually flows, characters are relatable and emotion is gained.

But on the other hand, One Piece manages to hit a few more emotions than just hitting a couple very deeply. OP goes from whacky to emo in half a chapter, and despite these violent moodswings, it still works frightfully well. There is nothing I would claim OP is the best at, but it does everything very well. Not many mangas make me feel like they do EVERYTHING!

Oh, and there is one thing OP has that others don't. Longevity. Assuming One Piece ever finishes in our lifetime, it will be a story people talk about years, or even decades, after it's gone. Few mangas can really claim this.

DARK
June 26, 2010, 10:11 AM
Fullmetal Alchemist is overrated in my opinion. It’s not as dynamic a story as one would think. It’s rather difficult to innovate with a series, whose villains are two-dimensional (with the exception of Greed, and maybe Envy). The plotline is also rather direct and does not ask for many plot twists. Once we’ve established the brothers’ history and the motives of the homunculi and Father, it was not really hard to predict what will happen next.
It was disappointing how the subject of alchemy, as a whole, is not really touched upon. It is true that the “law of equivalent exchange” has been pressed right down our throats, but the series seems to be more theological than historical. The last few chapters focuses on a being who wishes to become greater than God, to be able to create people on its own.
I also find it disturbing how there have been failed chimeras like Nina/Alexander, yet a few chapters later we get “perfect” chimera. Their transformation and later deaths, which was one of the most emotionally-driven scenes in the story, were all in vain. It also doesn't help that Ed and co. later team up with chimera, a practice that he was so against when he tried to kill Shou Tucker. It's as if the story writes itself, and seems to ignore a lot of the events tied in before so.
That’s not to say that this series doesn’t have its pluses, however. I thoroughly enjoyed the Maes Hughes murder plotline, especially at the climax where Mustang was literally going to burn Envy, only to be stopped by Ed. I also loved it when Winry goes face to face against her parents' killer, and has the courage and willpower to not take revenge.
Hate me all you want, but I did not enjoy either Father or Hohenheim as characters in the series. Their flashbacks were a bit, how do you say, boring. So the main villain curses a half-beaten slave with immortality? Speaking of Hohenheim, we get it; he’s a deadbeat dad who left his family behind. Is it any necessity for him to be involved in the plotline up to the very end?
As soon as I read the manga, I instantly knew the ending. Ed sacrificing something to get his brother’s body back, as the law of “equivalent exchange” was pressed down our throats. It turned out to be his alchemy prowess… Great. And he raises a family with Winry? Great… And he has two kids? Great… And Alphonse decides to research alkehestry in the east? As if the past 20 or so chapters haven’t inferred that Alphones wanted to learn alkehestry!
One Piece, on the other hand, has many areas for innovation. It’s not just one storyline stuck together; there are many characters, each with a different role, history, abilities, etc. What I like about One Piece, more so than any shounen, is that it constantly changes. It doesn’t pick a storyline and sticks with it for the end of the series. Rather, it allows a storyline to develop through the characters. There are just so many things going on with One Piece; there is not one story arc or battle that is the same as any other.
Ace and Whitebeard dying at the hands of the World Government and Blackbeard’s crew, respectively, moved me far more than any death in this series. I felt more connected to the characters in One Piece, simply because they aren’t just “there.” Oda actually provided the readers insight on each character, even if it was only just commentary from other characters.
Fullmetal Alchemist, to me, is a brand of comedy (even in the most serious of times, the characters will always still mock Ed’s shortening height) and fight scenes. Truth be told, the fighting scenes in Fullmetal Alchemist are amazing, especially when anime adapted from Brotherhood. But, the story itself doesn’t speak to me. The characters don’t speak to me.
You can hate me all you want for stating my opinion, but even if I were to read the entire manga over again from start to finish, more than likely my judgments won’t waver.

hibar90
June 26, 2010, 04:44 PM
Both stand on top shonen IMHO. It depends on what are you looking for in a manga. If you are looking for a story with good flow you will like FMA better. This manga is very consistent. However, some might not like the setup (such as me). I feel the writer has fail to captivate me enough into FMA universe. I don't find it interesting/exciting enough to say something "woah that would be cool" or "woah! that's awesome". It lacks excitement for me, but the characters and the story is very cool.

On the other hand OP is full of excitement. For instance the recent war, though has small contribution to the plot's progression, it was exciting chapter from chapter for 10 weeks straight. It has also more well developed character. Not in term of quality but quantity. I think OP can play with reader's emotion better than FMA. I think it's the more cartoonish art that allows more extreme action and facial expression to convey deep emotional feeling.

Jorge D. Dragon
July 11, 2010, 11:39 AM
I like them both, though I prefer One Piece more. It is really masterpiece. It is like you live the life of the characters. It's like a real adventure of a childhood. Something like a dream.