PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Tyler Durden as a pattern for Doflamingo?

GomuGomuNoBigBoner
January 21, 2010, 08:01 AM
I lately watched Fight club once more and this time I realized an astonishing affinity in the character of 'Tyler Durden' and Doflamingo.
Just like the real 'Don Quijote de la Mancha', the unawareness of the madness in himself play the key motive.
Tyler Durden achieved to establish an organization which held full trust in him, thus he's portrayed as a person who's got the means to manipulate others and follow his will.
Among his characteristics are nihilistic traits, very similar to the behaviour of Doflamingo as he doesn't seem to take things too serious, to say the least.
In both, Don Quijote as well as in Fight Club, the motive of a revolt against a superior system and the aspired destruction of yonder strengthen the bound imo.

There's also a scene in which a building with two fires in windows, forming the eyes of a smiley face painted on the building.

Unfortunately I could not find the oufit containing the fur coat, as that one totally equals Doflamingo's clothing, but just for you to have a more detailed view:

http://www.1tshirtsworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/tyler-durden-clothing.jpg

Fox666
January 21, 2010, 09:04 AM
I remember seeing an image somewere which Elton Jones was dressed like Doflamingo. I think it was One Piece Wiki, but I am not sure.

Oblivion
January 21, 2010, 02:24 PM
Well there are some similarities, but while Tyler wanted to create chaos and destroy the establishment, Flamingo is part of the establishment. He is another cog in the system.

Razh
January 25, 2010, 04:10 PM
Are you saying that Oda could have been inspired by Tyler or is this just a discussion about similarities between the two? I think it's the latter, but I'm still going to point out that Fight Club was made in 1999. and One Piece started in 1997. I think most of the important characters were thought of by then.

And yeah, they are similar in lot of ways, but Doflamingo is more ruthless. He did make one of his men killed the other (probably) and he did manage a slave trade. Maybe he is one of Shichibukai out of his own interests, but that doesn't change the fact that he's fighting for the establishment at the moment.

Twar
January 25, 2010, 05:25 PM
Well, Palahniuk wrote the novel in 1996, so... You never know.

RichardMNixon
January 25, 2010, 05:30 PM
I'd agree they're both a bit nihilistic but I'm not so sure about some of the other similarities. I don't think Doflamingo wants to destroy the establishment, I think he just expects it will be destroyed and is working on coming out of the gate running.