PDA

View Full Version : Review Gold Knight's Ten Comments (Naruto 329)

Gold Knight
November 01, 2006, 05:02 PM
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/1624/00xm2.png
Fear teh AL...!!!

Sorry for taking so long to post my Naruto Comments this time around. I'm still wanting to usually do them on RAW Day, but honestly I needed the break (hence why I stopped doing Bleach and OP Comments), and I also knew that there wasn't a chapter this upcoming week, so... and it didn't help matters that my PC didn't want to cooperate with me the last couple of days, either! Felt for awhile that the Akatsuki was trying to delay my Comments or something!

Just a big FYI here for any Bleach fans, good news though, Djudge, known for his great translations of Bleach chapters, has come to the rescue and voluntarily decided to pick up doing Bleach reviews on a weekly basis and will be posting them in the Scrapbooks main section! So, be sure to check them out and give the man some love - he sure deserves it for all that he's contributed to the Bleach community the past year!

Now for the credits - many thanks to the Touch and Eagle for providing us the RAWs (which I used for some of the images), to all our moderators for doing the work last week (especially Ayah), all our translators for their usual great work, and to Fnuckale for cleaning a few of the images that you'll see here. The majority of the grey images are from NarutoBuzz's MQ scanlation.

Anyway, enjoy and feel free to comment and discuss!

* * * Gold Knight's Ten Comments on Naruto Chapter 329: That Goal...!!! * * *

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/6150/01sp6.png
NARUTO SMASH!

1. Kyuubified Clones!?? Hn... no wonder Yamato had his work cut out for him in making sure that the Kyuubi didn't get loose! If the nine-tailed fox could take over not only the genuine article but ANY of the bunshins - that's a massive headache right there!

At least the ANBU agent seems more than capable of handling the situation. Now the question that REALLY pops to mind about this scene though... what must Naruto be feeling as he's staring at one of his clones quickly becoming berserked and Kyuubified? What a strange sensation that must be!

We know already that he definitely showed obvious fear, as he didn't take too long to start calling for help from Yamato. And I don't blame him - he's worked so hard throughout his childhood to prove himself to others as a dependable and trustworthy shinobi of the Leaf, and that could all be ruined in an instant if the Kyuubi had his way and gleefully created another scene of massive destruction in the heart of the village. Can you imagine Naruto being an outcast AGAIN?

Hey, remember the very first time we all saw Naruto access the red chakra of the Kyuubi and use it against a completely off-guard Haku? Cool scene, wasn't it?

One of my favorite scenes ever - but that was then, when we all felt that the Kyuubi was going to be a powerful weapon in Naruto's hands. Now it's becoming more and more apparent that Kishimoto is trying to make it more of a dangerous curse meant to be feared, even by Naruto himself, and I think this scene is meant to try to persuade the readers to feel the same way as well.

Looks like Naruto really will have to learn how to deal with his enemies without relying on the Kyuubi so much, or else...! In a way, it also means Naruto will have to be more in control of his temper, as well. Are we going to see him struggle with his emotions more often now, especially when news of Asuma's death comes around...?

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/7706/02zd9.png
Oh well, I'll grade you C+ for effort...

2. One Day of Fruitless Labor. 200 Kage Bunshins training over a day leading to about 4,800 hours of training according to Kakashi's math, and what do we have so far? Nothing! :s

Good thing Naruto wasn't already pressured to use this jutsu against the Akatsuki after all, I suppose...

I thought that he would have already mastered it by now but simply didn't have the time or energy to head over to save Asuma's team, as some people had guessed. Turns out he hadn't even finished his training.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/6087/03uq0.png
Who needs Byakugan?

3. Doing the Impossible...! You know what, if the implications of this scene means what I think it does, then I'll be very disappointed. I had predicted a few chapters ago that all it would require for Naruto to do in order to master the merging of the wind element with his Rasengan would be to use a third bunshin as support. Looks like that may be the case, as Kakashi did demonstrate to Naruto just how "looking right and left" simulateously CAN be possible...! But so, so predictable...

If so, I can understand Naruto taking so long to come to realizing that was the key, since it's pretty well-established that he's not the brightest bulb around. But for Kakashi to actually be clueless about how exactly Naruto could do the merge until he heard Naruto complain about that being the problem... ouch.

Well, sometimes I suppose a genius can miss things that are right under their nose, too... at least Kakashi immediately realized the solution right away, eh?

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/6667/04pi6.jpg
I pity the kids who go trick and treating to these guys...!

4. Sealing the Sanbi...! I still haven't really gotten over that scene of the Akatsuki's "summoned beast" sucking the life out of another bijuu! And this time, it's not even a jinchuuriki - it's the beast itself! Now that's showing some serious power and guts right there - although I guess most of them ARE holograms and wouldn't be affected if the monster suddenly woke up and went on a rampage. Still, I wonder how the heck Deidara and Tobi managed to keep the Sanbi unconscious the entire time they carried it to whatever lair they're all at right now.

Crackhead Theory: I'm not sure if somebody has already guessed this or not, but I now believe that the Akatuski rings are exactly how they conjure their own holograms in order to all appear in the same place so that they can do the sealing together. That's why they're so important.

That would mean the loss of Orochimaru's ring keeps them from having a possible tenth member appear with them at these rituals. If this is the case, then one way to stop the Akatsuki would be to get possession of all these rings. That way, even if they aren't killed to the last, they would still have even more difficulty carrying out their plans.

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/7627/05db7.jpg
These naughty Akatsuki, sedating an innocent girl like that...

5. A Role Still to Play? I really do believe that Kishimoto purposely had the Akatsuki capture BOTH the Sanbi and Yugito at the same time exactly so that would give Konohagakure (who else?) plenty of time to actually save the latter from their clutches.

Gaara, when the Akatsuki captured him and worked on extracting the Shukaku from him, struggled for, I would guess, about two days and nights at least before he finally gave up the ghost - er, bijuu. That means even when the Akatsuki DO get to Yugito, which won't be for another three days, she'd probably still be alive for at least two more days even while they're extracting the Nibi out of her. That's five days and I do think somebody will come to interrupt the ceremony by then.

Another thing we learned too here - apparently Hidan and Kakuzu didn't have to go very far after capturing Yugito to drop her off at the new lair, and were quickly on their way to the Fire Temple afterwards. That tells me right there that the lair is probably between the Lightning Country (where Yugito was captured) and the Fire Country.

There are two countries in-between if you look at the map of Naruto's world (http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/5912/worldgb1.gif), so that'll be something new if we'red headed to either one.

EDIT: Ibra87 reminded me that Zetsu actually came and took Yugito for Hidan and Kakuzu, my bad. But still should probably be close by... but I guess it's not quite as certain still.

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/9658/06pg3.png
Who wouldn't?

6. Justifications of Battle. Not too surprised at all that the Akatsuki Leader would seemingly have the most trouble dealing with Hidan, who definitely seems the most volatile member of the bunch!

Although I can understand why Hidan would be irrirated - he obviously believed that Leaf shinobi were heretics for not directly worshipping Jashinism, and the leader for a moment made it seem irrelevant since everybody for the most part, even Konohagakure, worshipped battle anyway!

An interesting sidenote is that we learned that the Akatsuki Leader seems to know quite a bit about the ways and teachings of Konohagakure, judging by his words here about their religious beliefs. That would seem to strongly imply that he may have ties to the Fire Country after all. No - I don't believe that he's Yondaime at all, but could he possibly be a relative? Naruto's uncle? Heh. That might be a nice way to shed some light on his origins. They certainly have the same spiky hair style it seems...!

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/3025/07nb8.png
Fu fu fu...

7. Hidan's a Young Padawan...! Well, one thing we learned for sure here - Hidan, before Tobi, was the latest member of the Akatsuki. And I now firmly believe that he joined the organization AFTER Part One, to replace somebody who was probably killed trying to capture a bijuu or jinchuuriki (which would explain why the first Akatsuki double-spread (http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/4075/narutoch238p1819av7.png) looks a bit outdated now).

Like I've said in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if casualties were something of a frequent occurence for these guys.

And finally, just have to say, I love the Akatsuki Leader's personality so far. We already suspected that he had something of a twisted sense of humor when he chuckled at Sasori's complaints back in chapter 260 (http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/9426/v29ch260pg18ks7.png). I think it's pretty much confirmed now that he does tend to have a little fun every now and then at the expense of even other Akatsuki members. Which makes me wonder - just how powerful IS he, to be the ringleader of THIS merry bunch, and not to be too afraid to slightly push their buttons every now and then?

And he's probably trying his best to hold back too, because he doesn't want to jeopardize their plans, after all, by having more people rebel on them like Orochimaru did. Although I bet ol' Oro got along with this particular guy just fine...

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/7295/08xz7.png
...uh, oh, bitter ninjas, that can't be good.

8. Living Only to Fight. Gotta admit, the Akatsuki leader's plan is pretty clever all things considered. But we'll get to that in a minute.

If the Leader is correct and the smaller countries are cutting expenses because they can't afford to have shinobi in times of peacetime as well, no wonder we're seeing a majority of rogue members from the smaller countries and villages in the organization as well. You know, I was somewhat skeptical on why exactly an organization such as the Akatsuki wouldn't try to recruit more shinobi from just the Five Lands, since these countries would obviously have even more powerful people, and these ones would also be the most difficult to defeat and would require even more reconnaissance than the smaller countries.

I had initially thought that maybe they needed representatives from each country to make the ritual work, but now we know they're just getting more people to work for them from the countries that are about to, or already have, entirely given up the "shinobi business." Makes a world of sense, if you ask me...

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/5701/09pc5.png
Sounds like fun...!

9. The Plan...! Well, I said I'd give my opinions of AL's plans, so here it is. I think it's a solid, good plan, especially considering that they seemingly have an abundance of "abandoned shinobi" who would be willing to work for them. Let's do a quick rundown of it.

First step, which Kakuzu no doubt is having fun with, is of course earning the money in order to make the economical takeover possible. I'm somewhat surprised Kakuzu didn't bother to explain the whole plan to Hidan in order to make him understand why they were going on these little side expeditions. That would have probably helped...

Second step, is to take advantage of all the displaced shinobi willing to work for them and create a true mercenary organization that wouldn't hold any allegiance to any of the countries, but rather work for everybody. That would make the smaller countries happy as they wouldn't have to fund them at all, and take business away from the larger villages.

Third step, when they're ready to do so, they would secretly create world wars with the use of the bijuus they've stolen, and create total chaos. Since they would be in control of all the pieces - they'd be able to manipulate events to the point where they would work on demolishing and collapsing all the larger countries.

The only problem with all this, though, is it's going to take a pretty long while to put the real plan in action. I wonder if they'll be stopped before even getting to the second step. Still, it's a pretty logical plan for a villain organization, and diabolical enough to suit my tastes, so I have no problems with it.

And even though it may seem as if the Akatsuki are still years away from really getting down to business on their plan, things will still get pretty desperate for our heroes if they manage to capture all the bijuus. If they ever got Kyuubi in addition to the others, the chances of stopping them will probably be pretty low. Naruto and company better move, and fast...!

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/1558/finv2jj1.png
World, watch out! AL is coming!

10. Global Domination...! And of course, the true goal of Akatsuki - conquering the world. Somewhat cliche, but I like it. They've sure got all the cards, so why not?

Additionally, I sort of like finally having a villain in the Naruto series who's crazy enough to have big dreams of grandeur as well as the total confidence to attempt to take over the world.

Compare that to the other villains we've had in the series: we've had Orochimaru who doesn't really care about being a leader anymore, but just pursuing his own personal quest of collecting all the jutsus for himself, and becoming immortal. Although he has fun whenever there's chaos involved, he really could care less about getting too involved, I think.

We've had Itachi, who seems to only care about improving himself. Actually, ALL the Akatsuki seem like natural born soldiers, except for the leader himself. But a world with AL as the President... brrr! XD

RATING: 3.5 out of 5 stars. I liked the chapter quite a bit when I first read it, but while doing Comments on it, I have to admit it was kind of underwhelming as Naruto chapters usually go. We didn't really have any HUGE revelations here, although finding out the Akatsuki did plan to conquer the world was fun. But aside from that, it's mostly just teases without much story development, so I'd have to give this one an average rating.

Predictions: Most likely we will see Naruto finish his training, and news of Asuma's death hitting town, and Kurenai's reactions. I thought we'd get the latter with this chapter, but I suppose it's taking them a while to get back to the village. I had hoped that we wouldn't see Naruto achieve his ultimate jutsu until he was in actual battle, though...

Credits: Thanks to Winterlion, Fnuckale, NarutoBuzz, Touch, Eagle, and Ayah, once again.

Have fun discussing the chapter - we still won't have another Naruto chapter for one more week. I'll be sure to get my next Comments out on RAW Day, though.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/2900/finv3hn6.png
Is this AL's future queen? Comment! <3

weixiaobao
November 01, 2006, 05:17 PM
Wow! thanks!
Although I am quite disappointed at their plan (it is not quite that smart)
Like you said it could be stop at the second step.
And is it just me or the AL's future queen look like (dead) Haku?

ibra87
November 01, 2006, 05:36 PM
After all these days, I am happy to read your comments (now that we don't have any Naruto Chapter anyway). It's kinda refreshing. I agree with most of your points. Here some of the stuff I would like to comment on:

1) That was my thought too when I first saw it. It would be disappointing if he just made an extra clone and let it do the job. The first time he did it for the Rasengan it was brilliant, but now it's getting kinda.... blah. Remember that time where Kakashi talked about the training for Naruto? Everybody was thinking "time freezing" with Kakashi's MS and so, and it turned out to be a kage bunshin training (which I by the way like). So there's still hope.

And this got me thinking.. if each clone can get kyuubified, and the kyuubi has unlimited energu, and Naruto learns his technique = the legion of doom with 200 Kyuubified narutos that would basically dominate ANY country. Naruto would die afterwards though. :smile-big

Oh and you talked about the 3rd bunshin, but judging from the pics, it seems like naruto can do the technique with just one clone now? (wasn't it the Odama rasengan that needed 2 bunshin?)

2) Damn, seems like he wasn't coming for Asuma after all :S Me and my stupid predictions. It seems however that Naruto can't use more than 200 bunshins at the same time! Assuming that he needed as much time as Kakashi was talking about (with 1000 bunshin) it would mean at least 5 weeks! But if I know Naruto well he'll probably do it within one week or even the next two days, especially that he has figured something out.

3)Kakashi wasn't with Naruto when he learned the rasengan... nor when he did it. Only this one time where he did the Odama Rasengan. So it's not THAT disappointing that he didn't figure it out. Not even Jiraiya did (or else he would have told Naruto when he was training him for Rasengan).

5) They didn't drop Yugito at the lair! the cannibal came and took her >_> (as far as i can remember)

7) Why must one of the Akatsuki have to be gone after part 1? Orochimaru was gone, so they recruited Hidan, then Sasori died so they recruited Tobi... Or am I missing something?

10) Good to see you agree with the very few people including me who don't think World Domination is a stupid thing. And I am happy Kishi didn't make it sound stupid.

That's all. It's was really a pleasure reading through your 10 comments.

glasskatana
November 01, 2006, 05:40 PM
Alright. I've been waiting for these. Do you feel nice and rested GKsr? :amuse

As usual, I'll comment more later.

Daniee
November 01, 2006, 05:53 PM
I kinda like your idea of Yugito being rescued. There's no one in the cave in person this time and AL can't use Shoten no Jutsu this time either, as they have no spare sacrifices. Which makes me think...what if he created a fake Hidan with that handy jutsu, would it be immortal as well?

What'd you think of that final AL two-page spread? I though it was absolutely awesome @_@ I share your same interest in that guy. Kishimoto deserves a week off because it must have taken him forever to draw that.

yeste
November 01, 2006, 06:43 PM
Nice comments GK! Let’s see if I can add something… :)

3. Doing the Impossible...! You know what, if the implications of this scene means what I think it does, then I'll be very disappointed. I had predicted a few chapters ago that all it would require for Naruto to do in order to master the merging of the wind element with his Rasengan would be to use a third bunshin as support. Looks like that may be the case, as Kakashi did demonstrate to Naruto just how "looking right and left" simulateously CAN be possible...! But so, so predictable...

This is the part where I agree with you 100%!!! Sorry to say, but this was the most disappointing moment in this chapter ( if it turns out like this! )… I remember the talk about how Naruto still uses his clone to make the Rasengan somewhere, and I must say that I was really disappointed by that alone, ‘cause if you really think about it after all that alleged two and a half years of training he still can’t do it without help, and that’s his best technique (!?!!), then this will have no sense at all!!! No matter if it is a S-ranked jutsu, or higher! If he needs that much work in creating a jutsu, I can tell that that jutsu will be absolutely useless in combat ( unless he learns that sweet sweet fujin no ??? teleporting technique that the Fourth used :p ). I mean really!!! The toying with the main character like this can be too much… He gets to have the better jutsus, but he’s too clumsy to use them properly!!! I didn’t see Sasuke having any help with that flowing Chidori of his… Not like Oro had to hold his sword, Kabuto his… whatever… while he was trying to look left and right… :p

Naaahhh… Sorry if I went a bit overboard there, but that’s just how I feel about this… disappointed… :( Kind of expected more… after all that pulling out the wind chakra, looks like he’ll wrap it in no time…

That would mean the loss of Orochimaru's ring keeps them from having a possible tenth member appear with them at these rituals. If this is the case, then one way to stop the Akatsuki would be to get possession of all these rings. That way, even if they aren't killed to the last, they would still have even more difficulty carrying out their plans.

Hmmm…. Nice theory, but I wonder if Oro can listen on them with his ring ( I am assuming that he still has it… ).

Another thing we learned too here - apparently Hidan and Kakuzu didn't have to go very far after capturing Yugito to drop her off at the new lair, and were quickly on their way to the Fire Temple afterwards. That tells me right there that the lair is probably between the Lightning Country (where Yugito was captured) and the Fire Country.

This was nice to point out as well!!! But I wonder if maybe Zetsu too over the transport of the Yugito… With his teleporting abilities ( that still aren’t proven or explained, but yeah, I’m relaying on them :) ). But then I wonder once more, if that was the case, then why didn’t he did the same thing for the other one… Not much sense, but a small maybe, maybe? :p

9. The Plan...! Well, I said I'd give my opinions of AL's plans, so here it is. I think it's a solid, good plan, especially considering that they seemingly have an abundance of "abandoned shinobi" who would be willing to work for them. Let's do a quick rundown of it.

Ah, the plan!!! Well I certainly was way more satisfied after hearing the whole plan!!! When it was announced in the spoiler that it actually was “ World domination!!!”, well, it did felt somewhat weak… But, I waited a bit, and have to say that it does have a lot of sense… It isn’t the best plan ever, but to tell you the truth, I didn’t expect that, and I don’t think no one else did… So, I’m quite satisfied…

As always GK, thanks for the review!!! Nice one!!! Didn’t want to spam in other threads, so I’ll just add this here… Thanks for deciding to keep up doing Naruto reviews!!! And I’m sorry that I hadn’t got to read any of the OP ones… ( I just caught up with the series this week, so I’m sure I’ll check them out at some point ).

sure_shot
November 01, 2006, 06:45 PM
7) Why must one of the Akatsuki have to be gone after part 1? Orochimaru was gone, so they recruited Hidan, then Sasori died so they recruited Tobi... Or am I missing something?
Deidara replaced Oro
Tobi replaced Sasori
So Hidan must have replaced Kakazu's former partner (that he probably killed).

Luckas
November 01, 2006, 07:19 PM
It's always a pleasure reading your comments, GK. I hope you solved your pc problems.

1. Interesting points. Personally I like the Kyubi and the fact it powers Naruto, so, maybe because of my preference, I don't think Kyubi is only a curse for Naruto and he must stop to use it. But from when Kishimoto introduced the concept of the windy rasengan I fear he started lacking originality, so I will not be surprised by that.

3. That would be truly disappointing, I hope Kishimoto will surprise us.

4. That's an interesting theory and it could be coherent with Naruto world and his rules.

5. I think it was Zetsu who transported the Nibi to the Akatsuki base. And about a future role for Yugito, I don't know there are already so many characters in Naruto and Kishimoto already introduced Yamato and Sai after the timeskip, maybe he is just toying with us :eyeroll

6. That's a good catch and if I remember well "Al"'s words are very similar to those of the Third Hokage. That could start a lot of speculations.

7. Hidan's a Young Padawan...!
Although I bet ol' Oro got along with this particular guy just fine...Funnier comment :D

8. I agree with you, altough I thought it was a "plot no jutsu" to add a little variety in the manga, instead this is very logical.

9. I'm not very fond ot this plan for world domination, I'm not against the idea to control all the world and I don't think it is banal. But I believe there is a huge gap between creating a mercenary organization which get work from small countries and steal some assignement from the big 5 countries and gain the power to evolve from a small hindrance to a real danger for the whole world. Maybe the control of all bijus could make this plan possible, but this poses a question: if the bijus could unleash so much power why they weren't carefully checked or at least why the sudden disappareance of them didn't produce a warning. That is why I don't love this plan.

WinterLion
November 01, 2006, 07:46 PM
Great comments as always. Enjoyed reading them... I know I have some comments to make, but I'm a little too tired to think (or type) straight, so I'll hold off on that until later. But I wanted to drop in here and say thanks for job well done first. :smile-big

Strangehat
November 01, 2006, 09:27 PM
Great comments GK. ._. Good to see you well rested, though I will miss your OP and Bleach comments, tho I am sure Djudge will do an awesome job on Bleach.

I'm still giggly about Naruto freaking out. "Wha! Another guy's going crazy!! C_C_"

As a black-robe-red-cloud fan I am totally jazzed by this chapter, as it confirms and puts to rest a lot of the speculation surrounding the organization. The fact that Akatsuki wants to keep their overhead low by keeping to small numbers is a hilarious idea to me, but it makes sense and explains why a lot of the Akatsuki seem to be specialists in some given field or another as opposed to have a lot of 'generally good' shinobi like Kakashi.

Also, Hidan being new makes sense for me. Early silhouette matching was giving me fits. Kakuzu's still up in the air in the original grouping, but he could still be the Giant Akatsuki, or the miner-looking fellow on the right.

However, there wasn't a lot we weren't already able to guess in the chapter as you noted, and 'taking over the world' is an /expected/ goal for the Akatsuki (their evil actions and words don't make a whole lot of sense otherwise) so I'll just comment on Leader's plan.

<i>He is planning to punch the world with economics.</i> Awesome.

kiddo7
November 01, 2006, 09:56 PM
Once again, great job Goldy.
this was one most entertaining read, I do not feel like i have anything of value to add, but even so, your comments round out each chapter so well, that i just do not feel content until I have read them.
THank you for your work. And do not push yourself to hard.

white silver
November 02, 2006, 03:43 AM
[b][font=verdana][size=1]For some reason, I really like this chapter. The AL is being very true to the essence of ninja. He not only wants to conquer the world but he wants to show what "ninjas" are worth for: dark, cold-blooded, empty hearted assassins working for money. Naruto is being very "the 3 ninjas kick-back/teenage mutant ninja turtles" which really kinda destroys the whole concept of Ninja. But all the more makes the whole ninja-thing quite interesting.

Like I said before, the Leader is very stern with his words (which makes him really really cool and dangerous), especially to rebellious guys like Hidan. "YOU WILL DO THE TASKS PROVIDED BY AKATSUKI (whether-you-like-it-or-not, even-if-it-defies-the-teachings-of-Jashin" tone in his voice) ignoring the blissfulness of Hidan's commentary (swear words).

At one point of view, the AL would be considered the greatest hero in Ninja history. After all, he is right about Ninjas providing services and money to their respective countries/villages. People like Sandaime may reduce the number of well-bred ninjas, if they only look for peace (not shooting him down of course). And eventually if all Kages were like him, ninjas may be nothing more than providing"LEARN THE NINJA ARTS GYM, $200 A MONTH". (Take a look at the whole concept in the Martial arts World and you'll see exactly what I mean. Tools for war now becomes Wu-shu and Olympic sport event, and only a few dedicated to the practice of self-defence and urban survival skills) I think this is what the AL is trying to avoid! Anyways good comments [color=red]GK.

*I might re-consider doing the top ten comments for One Piece*!

Raine_Joybringer
November 02, 2006, 05:09 AM
Can't speak much on this chapter (got assignments as well), but I gotta say I really do admire AL (and Kishimoto) for creating such a well-thought through plan! I absolutely love it when people think about political implications and not just about the power struggle. <3

And you know, I really do believe the female(?) member is somehow related more to AL than being just in the Akatsuki. It's possible she's his wife/girlfriend. Remember that Kishimoto said that he wanted to have some more romance in the series. You never know- this could be a part of it. It's rare to see a romantic pairing between villains that doesn't involve someone being manipulated in there somewhere.

Anyway, loved this chapter, though if only for the awesome plan.

Gold Knight
November 02, 2006, 09:54 AM
Thanks all for commenting!

Wow! thanks!
Although I am quite disappointed at their plan (it is not quite that smart)
Like you said it could be stop at the second step.
And is it just me or the AL's future queen look like (dead) Haku?

A bit! But I expect a woman... Kishimoto has also said in an interview that one of the Akatsuki would be female, so this one should be.

After all these days, I am happy to read your comments (now that we don't have any Naruto Chapter anyway). It's kinda refreshing. I agree with most of your points. Here some of the stuff I would like to comment on:

1) That was my thought too when I first saw it. It would be disappointing if he just made an extra clone and let it do the job. The first time he did it for the Rasengan it was brilliant, but now it's getting kinda.... blah. Remember that time where Kakashi talked about the training for Naruto? Everybody was thinking "time freezing" with Kakashi's MS and so, and it turned out to be a kage bunshin training (which I by the way like). So there's still hope.

And this got me thinking.. if each clone can get kyuubified, and the kyuubi has unlimited energu, and Naruto learns his technique = the legion of doom with 200 Kyuubified narutos that would basically dominate ANY country. Naruto would die afterwards though. :smile-big

He definitely could be a bigger powerhouse somewhere down the line.

Oh and you talked about the 3rd bunshin, but judging from the pics, it seems like naruto can do the technique with just one clone now? (wasn't it the Odama rasengan that needed 2 bunshin?)

Yeah, I think the percentage may be lower that Naruto successfully completes a Rasengan with just himself, so that he uses another clone in order to better his chances. That's why I think we see him sometimes doing it by himself, and sometimes with a clone to help out. But after all that training, I bet that he might've gotten to the point where he now can do a Rasengan more easily himself. I didn't think of that when I did these comments, though!

3)Kakashi wasn't with Naruto when he learned the rasengan... nor when he did it. Only this one time where he did the Odama Rasengan. So it's not THAT disappointing that he didn't figure it out. Not even Jiraiya did (or else he would have told Naruto when he was training him for Rasengan).

I suppose Kakashi wouldn't be thinking along the same lines as Naruto in how they individually learned the Rasengan, so good point.

5) They didn't drop Yugito at the lair! the cannibal came and took her >_> (as far as i can remember)

Just goes to show you that I probably need to reread the last volume again, heh. Thanks for pointing that out and correcting me, I've edited my Comments.

Two of the Akatsuki that we originally saw in that double spread looks a lot different from Hidan and Kakuzu. If that was Hidan talking to Itachi, for example, he sure sounded a lot more mellow and soft-spoken than he is now, and he had a different hairstyle. And if the big guy was Kakuzu, then he's lost some weight...! I know Sasori (in his scorpion puppet), Deidara (hanging from the ceiling and saying ...yeah), Itachi, Kisame, the AL, Zetsu, and the woman Akatsuki were present in that double spread though - they all have the right outlines.

10) Good to see you agree with the very few people including me who don't think World Domination is a stupid thing. And I am happy Kishi didn't make it sound stupid.

Not at all, no. I like villains with high aspirations ;)

Alright. I've been waiting for these. Do you feel nice and rested GKsr? :amuse

As usual, I'll comment more later.

I'm fine, but my PC isn't :darn

I actually still had trouble typing the rest of my Comments out yesterday, the PC froze about three times. Seems to be doing alright now, though...

I kinda like your idea of Yugito being rescued. There's no one in the cave in person this time and AL can't use Shoten no Jutsu this time either, as they have no spare sacrifices. Which makes me think...what if he created a fake Hidan with that handy jutsu, would it be immortal as well?

I thought, actually, that Deidara and Tobi were both present at that cave, but now that I look again, they do look like holograms too. Hm... well, I don't blame them, they probably didn't want to be in that cave in case the Sanbi went berserk.

Well, the AL can still do his Shoten no Jutsu, I think, because Itachi and Kisame weren't at the lair the last time they were used either. He only needs the underlings to be there (in the last case, these two underlings of Sasori's were probably present somewhere around the lair).

And I'll bet no about Hidan's "Shoten no Jutsu" clone being immortal as well - as Itachi and Kisame said, these "clones" copy their abilities only to a certain limit, and I doubt that would cover the immortality part... but that's an interesting thought...

What'd you think of that final AL two-page spread? I though it was absolutely awesome @_@ I share your same interest in that guy. Kishimoto deserves a week off because it must have taken him forever to draw that.

Yeah, Kishimoto's been knocking himself out lately with these cityscapes. I agree that he probably did need a break after that, heh.

Hmmm…. Nice theory, but I wonder if Oro can listen on them with his ring ( I am assuming that he still has it… ).

I thought about that too. It's very possible he could, but it might also reveal his whereabouts too somehow. AL did seem to be able to telepathically come in contact with Hidan and Kakuzu, after all. Probably works both ways.

9. I'm not very fond ot this plan for world domination, I'm not against the idea to control all the world and I don't think it is banal. But I believe there is a huge gap between creating a mercenary organization which get work from small countries and steal some assignement from the big 5 countries and gain the power to evolve from a small hindrance to a real danger for the whole world. Maybe the control of all bijus could make this plan possible, but this poses a question: if the bijus could unleash so much power why they weren't carefully checked or at least why the sudden disappareance of them didn't produce a warning. That is why I don't love this plan.

Well, you have to admit that the Akatsuki always gave off the impression that they were trying to do something big, and world domination would definitely qualify. And I don't think anybody really pays much attention to the disappearance of jinchuuriki and bijuu, because they're so hated for the most part. And they could also probably gain some shinobi from the Five Countries through this plan, as well... that's where "taking the business away" from these lands come in.

But essentially the Akatsuki need most of if not all the bijuus in order to even make the plan work, so we really don't have to think too deeply on the whole plan right now. The main thing we just needed to know is that AL did have a plan to control the world with the bijuus, so that sets the tone for the rest of the story.

Great comments as always. Enjoyed reading them... I know I have some comments to make, but I'm a little too tired to think (or type) straight, so I'll hold off on that until later. But I wanted to drop in here and say thanks for job well done first. :smile-big

Thank YOU for translating the chapter! :glomp

Also, Hidan being new makes sense for me. Early silhouette matching was giving me fits. Kakuzu's still up in the air in the original grouping, but he could still be the Giant Akatsuki, or the miner-looking fellow on the right.

However, there wasn't a lot we weren't already able to guess in the chapter as you noted, and 'taking over the world' is an /expected/ goal for the Akatsuki (their evil actions and words don't make a whole lot of sense otherwise) so I'll just comment on Leader's plan.

<i>He is planning to punch the world with economics.</i> Awesome.

Yeah, that's one heck of a mighty punch, if he manages to pull it off. Good to see you still coming around Strangehat ;)

Once again, great job Goldy.
this was one most entertaining read, I do not feel like i have anything of value to add, but even so, your comments round out each chapter so well, that i just do not feel content until I have read them.
THank you for your work. And do not push yourself to hard.

Thanks! I should definitely have an easier time now that I'm just doing Naruto again ;) Don't worry about me too much.

At one point of view, the AL would be considered the greatest hero in Ninja history. After all, he is right about Ninjas providing services and money to their respective countries/villages. People like Sandaime may reduce the number of well-bred ninjas, if they only look for peace (not shooting him down of course). And eventually if all Kages were like him, ninjas may be nothing more than providing"LEARN THE NINJA ARTS GYM, $200 A MONTH". (Take a look at the whole concept in the Martial arts World and you'll see exactly what I mean. Tools for war now becomes Wu-shu and Olympic sport event, and only a few dedicated to the practice of self-defence and urban survival skills) I think this is what the AL is trying to avoid! Anyways good comments GK.

The thing is Sandaime's shinobi work to keep the peace, and AL wants to destroy that peace. Depending on your point of view, AL would only be a "hero" to one side, and that's the bloodthristy, battle-hungry warmongers. Not to mention that the AL fully intends to take control of the world and do whatever he wants with it with his bijuu "trump card." It's kinda Rurouni Kenshin-like in a way though, I agree.

And you know, I really do believe the female(?) member is somehow related more to AL than being just in the Akatsuki. It's possible she's his wife/girlfriend. Remember that Kishimoto said that he wanted to have some more romance in the series. You never know- this could be a part of it. It's rare to see a romantic pairing between villains that doesn't involve someone being manipulated in there somewhere.

Rare, but very entertaining, if done right, I think. :D

bax
November 02, 2006, 10:25 AM
Nice one GK. :thumbs

I wanna to comment back some of those comments, but at the present time, I'm really busy with my PC after reformating it.
And ofcourse trying to hold down Winny's craziness abuses on me in my thread :p

I'll drop by later :grin

kadoman
November 02, 2006, 10:52 AM
YAY! At last! As always, thoroughly enjoyable reading and I agree with everything you said (why do I generally always agree with everything you say?). :smile-big

I like how Hidan is like AL's problem child with a big mouth! And you can bet that Itachi has his own hidden agenda where Akatsuki's plans are concerned. I thought it interesting how you said all the Akatsuki members are like perfect soldiers - except that Itachi's ideals are the opposite of that notion. He's a maverick and a loner and I can't see him fighting for AL's cause. I think he's biding his time and is using Akatsuki as a means to his own ends (whatever they may be). AL is probably aware of this too, which makes for a nice cat-and-mouse game. :tem

Gold Knight
November 02, 2006, 05:32 PM
I like how Hidan is like AL's problem child with a big mouth! And you can bet that Itachi has his own hidden agenda where Akatsuki's plans are concerned. I thought it interesting how you said all the Akatsuki members are like perfect soldiers - except that Itachi's ideals are the opposite of that notion. He's a maverick and a loner and I can't see him fighting for AL's cause. I think he's biding his time and is using Akatsuki as a means to his own ends (whatever they may be). AL is probably aware of this too, which makes for a nice cat-and-mouse game. :tem

Hmm, but at the same time, Itachi never really argues with the AL - or at least we haven't seen it yet. He definitely has his own agenda ( all the Akatsuki likely do ) but in the end from what I've gathered, AL's plans are perfect for Itachi because it allows him the best chance to break his own limits to achieve whatever it is that he wants - especially if he gains more power in the process. So to that degree right now, I'd say Itachi is the perfect soldier for him right now, actually - as long as AL's still useful to him.

Well, perfect soldier, compared with Hidan anyway. :D

I think the ones playing cat and mouse games with the AL are the ones who didn't care as much about following up with the Akatsuki's ultimate goal, and I believe Orochimaru was definitely one.

kadoman
November 02, 2006, 06:09 PM
Hmm, but at the same time, Itachi never really argues with the AL - or at least we haven't seen it yet.

*nods* Granted. But Itachi never argues with anyone (except for that one time but he was on the verge of killing everyone :amuse). That would surely be beneath him. In any case, if he is using Akatsuki as a mean to his own ends (and you're right, they probably all have their own end goals in mind) he's unlikely to want to cause trouble and bring unwanted attention to himself, a sentiment he has expressed to Kisame before.

AL's plans are perfect for Itachi because it allows him the best chance to break his own limits to achieve whatever it is that he wants..especially if he gains more power in the process. So to that degree right now, I'd say Itachi is the perfect soldier for him right now, actually - as long as AL's still useful to him.

Agreed. At the risk of degenerating into Specualtion Fangirlism (which I hate by the way) I wonder much of that perfect soldier is an illusion for the benefit of keeping the peace/biding his time - until he doesn't want to anymore that is.

I think the ones playing cat and mouse games with the AL are the ones who didn't care as much about following up with the Akatsuki's ultimate goal, and I believe Orochimaru was definitely one.

Well, to my mind, that's not so much cat and mouse as blatant rebellion. He just up and walked out. Whereas if everyone in Akatsuki is only a member there in order to achieve their own secret goals, and AL knows that they know that he knows and everbody is just knowingly playing it safe with each other (except for Hidan who is utterly clueless) then that enters fun mind games territory! :smile-big Fun and games with Akatsuki!

bax
November 02, 2006, 06:35 PM
Finally got some free time. My scedule was really hectic today, and finally all the works are cleared.
Ok, time to spend some time on your comments GK.

1. Kyuubified Clones!?? Hn... no wonder Yamato had his work cut out for him in making sure that the Kyuubi didn't get loose! If the nine-tailed fox could take over not only the genuine article but ANY of the bunshins - that's a massive headache right there!

You know what I thought when I saw this? I imagine few clones go berserk, out of that few, one really lose control and transform into 4-tailled Kyuubi :p So, this scene is like defying some past theories. First, only the real Naruto can change into Kyuubi. Secondly, Kyuubi bunshined along with Naruto? Or is it just that their Chakra is just connected. I bet on the latter.

2. One Day of Fruitless Labor. 200 Kage Bunshins training over a day leading to about 4,800 hours of training according to Kakashi's math, and what do we have so far? Nothing! :s

I wouldn't call it for nothing. At least he got his Wind Chakra and slashed that humongous waterfall. Well, to obtain the Nature Chakra in hours is way better than months or years :grin Why didn't Kakashi told Naruto earlier that he can train this way? Ofcourse not necessarily for Rasengan or other uber techniques, but to improve his basics in ninja.

I had no idea of what is Naruto gonna do with that "That's it!!" Well if it happens like what you predicted, it would be very boring in my view. Just because it was too easy. Make two bunshins to help you to make the Rasengan. Nah.. it won't be like that. If it is, Yondaime, Jiraiya or Kakashi must have thought about it longa ago :noworry

Naruto might not be the brightest bulb, but he is the most creative there is in Narutoverse. If he really gonna be the first man to master this Rasengan, I bet, it will be in a very *unique* way. His old-pranks might have a say in this :p

4. Sealing the Sanbi...! I still haven't really gotten over that scene of the Akatsuki's "summoned beast" sucking the life out of another bijuu! And this time, it's not even a jinchuuriki - it's the beast itself! Now that's showing some serious power and guts right there - although I guess most of them ARE holograms and wouldn't be affected if the monster suddenly woke up and went on a rampage. Still, I wonder how the heck Deidara and Tobi managed to keep the Sanbi unconscious the entire time they carried it to whatever lair they're all at right now.

5. A Role Still to Play? I really do believe that Kishimoto purposely had the Akatsuki capture BOTH the Sanbi and Yugito at the same time exactly so that would give Konohagakure (who else?) plenty of time to actually save the latter from their clutches.

As for the sealing of Sanbi, as I expected, nothing interesting in terms of method. It's the old same way. Although the most interesting thing in this method (for me) is the statue itself. Remember when Chiyo said that they need to make preparations before extracting a Bijyuu? I bet this statue is the thing that Chiyo was talking about.

And as for Yugito, yes, I believe she may have more important role in the future. Maybe to help Naruto in maintaining the Kyuubi. Well, in my view, Yugito transformed willingly and in a split second from Jinchuuriki form to Bijyuu mode. I guess, that is what they call "mastery".

10. Global Domination...! And of course, the true goal of Akatsuki - conquering the world. Somewhat cliche, but I like it. They've sure got all the cards, so why not?

Eeer.. I thought I heard this plan somewhere http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7610/tfr85hv9.gif
There are only two *usually* used goals of the evil side in mangas. It's either revenge or global domination..
Gyyaaahhh.... stereotype. But at least, the AL's plan seems to be nice. At least he realized that he can't win alone.

Well.. I would say this chapter get a 4 out of 5 for me. I like the way it'll be in the volume. After a battle, foreshadowings and focusings, we need some revelations. And it's nice to see that the other member starts to talk. Perhaps, the full revelations of Akatsuki is not very far away. And also because the fillers really disappointing me except for some good ones. ANN has released two titles, which probably KG. "Kakashi : The Rememberance" and "The Man With Lightning Speed". Although ANN is very unreliable, but some hopes eh? I still won't buy that the fillers will end before the New Year Special though.

Gold Knight
November 02, 2006, 07:26 PM
*nods* Granted. But Itachi never argues with anyone (except for that one time but he was on the verge of killing everyone :amuse). That would surely be beneath him. In any case, if he is using Akatsuki as a mean to his own ends (and you're right, they probably all have their own end goals in mind) he's unlikely to want to cause trouble and bring unwanted attention to himself, a sentiment he has expressed to Kisame before.

Yep, true. And I suppose Itachi wouldn't get very far if he was to express any opinions or goals that would be contrary to the AL's.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking right now?

AL: NYAHAHA!!! I've done it!! Now I shall become the master and lord of the worl - ARGH! *dies*

Itachi: Sorry. You lack... hatred.

Well, to my mind, that's not so much cat and mouse as blatant rebellion. He just up and walked out. Whereas if everyone in Akatsuki is only a member there in order to achieve their own secret goals, and AL knows that they know that he knows and everbody is just knowingly playing it safe with each other (except for Hidan who is utterly clueless) then that enters fun mind games territory! :smile-big Fun and games with Akatsuki!

True. AL may act very aware of everybody's goals and objectives, and I suppose for him to even momentarily be able to accept them all into the organization in order to work with them in confidence, he would have to feel like he knows a few things about their "dreams" too... yet I don't think everybody is so forthcoming, though. So while AL may think he knows exactly what everybody wants to do, that may just be what they want him to think... cat and mouse, indeed.

But Orochimaru I think was probably one of the founding members of the organization, though. He's old enough to be. I'd bet you anything that he had the FIRST cat and mouse game going on with the AL, but Itachi's entry apparently made him decide that he was tired of the Akatsuki and yeah, he walked out on them. But didn't mean he didn't have a little fun - in fact I'm almost positive he did, when you consider both their personalities - with his dealings with the AL.

Bax, I'll get to your post when I come back online - I've gotta go right now. ;)

white silver
November 03, 2006, 12:47 AM
[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Looks like I may take up the One Piece Commentary, providing it becomes successful. Here it is:

[b]White Silver's One Piece Commentary (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/index.php?topic=10495.0)

Garaku
November 03, 2006, 04:25 AM
Yay let the begginning of the OP commentaries begin!

http://mangahelpers.com/forum/index.php?topic=10499.0

Gold Knight
November 03, 2006, 12:45 PM
Both stickied ;) Have fun with these, I'll comment when I can ( actually haven't read OP yet this week. )

white silver
November 03, 2006, 10:29 PM
Both stickied ;) Have fun with these, I'll comment when I can ( actually haven't read OP yet this week. )

[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Ooohhh, stickied! *hi5's Garaku* :hi5

Garaku
November 04, 2006, 04:23 PM
Down low! :modsmack :bees

Iwanin
November 06, 2006, 02:52 AM
This is actually the chapter I've hated the most, except for perhaps 310 ("Nakama").

It kinda maims Akatsuki, in my opinion.

We've been waiting years to find out what their "sinister goal" is... and *this* is what we get?

It's not that I have a problem with their *ultimate* goal. While world domination is certainly not a novel idea, it's what any good villain worth his salts aspires to, in one way or another. The devil is in the details - *how* they're going to go about it.

So... they're going to raise a mercenary army and slowly replace the current "ninja village" model. Within 20 years, the world will be theirs. Or 30. Who knows. And for the real big skirmishes, Bijuu. Swell.

Everyone's been asking themselves which Bijuu they've captured so far and how many are left. We'd been assuming something terrible was going to happen when they had all nine. Well boys and girls, it turns out they're just stocking up on WMDs.

Insidious as Akatsuki's plan is, it's far too long term to really give you a sense of urgency to stopping them. There are way too many ifs. They're talking about raising the biggest army in the world. Right. That's hardly going to go unnoticed. Existing Ninja villages are not going to just sit by and watch (well, Kishimoto would have us believe as much, and it's his world so I guess they would, but it just seems stupid to me). Rather than the existing infrastructure being quietly replaced, a scenario where all out war breaks out seems more reasonable to me.

More than anything, though, their plan just lacks "punch." You'll find more ambitious, shorter termed plans for world domination at any fortune 500 company. Akatsuki plans to rule the world 20 years from now, does it? They plan to inextricably link the economy to warfare, do they? Well that does it: they're not a criminal organization at all - they're simply capitalists.

Honestly, Sony and Microsoft are scarier.

Almost as grating is the fact that people (read: Hidan) apparently join Akatsuki and swear fealty to this mysterious leader for no reason whatsoever. If he's a religious fanatic who's not interested in money, why the f-ck join an organization which is ostensibly only out to make a buck? Oh, I see: it must be the outfit. No one can resist trying on such cool looking getup (with matching ring).

The only good point about this chapter is the revelation that Hidan is a relatively new member. If this is so than perhaps the guy wearing his ring when they sealed Shukaku was *not* him. This would explain the difference in their speech patterns and their silhouettes. The guy who's there when they seal Shukaku matches perfectly with the corresponding pre-time skip silhouette. Hidan matches neither.

Since Kakuzu has admitted to killing his previous partners, it may be surmised that this individual was killed by Kakuzu right after they extracted Shukaku. This would mean Hidan joined Akatsuki within the last two or three weeks, right before Tobi.

So that's a nice little detail.

About Yugito, I'm thinking that there's the possibility that she'll survive the extraction process, flee and notify Konoha of Akatsuki's long term goals. It's a crackpot theory, but the Nibi is supposed to be linked to necromancy, and is referred to as a "living ghost." Yugito seems to be perfectly linked to it, so maybe some of its powers will rub off on her or something. Or maybe since the cat isn't really "alive", extracting it won't kill her or something.

At any rate, I'd best leave my comments at this....

white silver
November 06, 2006, 03:40 AM
[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]@Iwanin: I totally agree with you with the fact of their main "diabolical" plan is just the old "Try-and-take-over-the-world' type of villan cliche. Honestly I've thought of dimention distortion, new world revelation and all types of stuff. I guess Kishimoto has run out of ideas (I don't think this series would last long as we thought).

WinterLion
November 06, 2006, 04:59 AM
@Iwanin: lol, I got a few good laughs out of your commentary. But there were def many points I agree with you on this.

Since I didn't have the time to comment earlier, here's a few of my observations...

Akatsuki has definitely gone down in my estimation. What they're aiming for is world domination through monopoly. Except for the fact that instead of shinobi villages, Akatsuki will provide the "military might" everything else would be pretty much business as usual. What's so scary about that? And while on the surface it may seem like a "well thought out plan" as far as "business" goes, it's really not. If Akatsuki is the sole shinobi power, there will be no one for them to fight against. When 2 countries go to war, even an organization like that isn't going to contract out to both countries at the same time. So who will they contract out to? The highest bidder of course, and the losing bidder won't even be able to put up much of a fight. And what's going to happen is that the shinobis within Akat are going to get bored without anyone to fight, and tensions are going run high and internal conflicts will occur. And if by chance AL can quell those conflicts, then the shinobis are going to get weaker with no real opponents to fight. Either way their monopoly will be their own downfall in the long run. So is it really a well thought out plan? I don't think so. So yes, I'm disappointed with Akatsuki's plans.

World domination, while cliche is what's expected. Any evil organization worth mentioning must have a goal... and what is the ultimate goal of any evil organization? Power, ultimate power. Therefore world domination is pretty much the standard. So as Iwanin said, it's not the ultimate goal of Akatsuki that has me disappointed but their plans on how they'll achieve it. What on the surface appears to be a well thought out plan for world domination is in reality nothing more than a piss poor business plan. And if AL was an entrepreneur he would be bankrupt within a year.

As for Naruto's training... Naruto's intelligence has gone down another notch in my view. If he's planning to do what I think he is... which is very likely considering how he got the hint from Kakashi... I'd say he's even more dumb than I originally thought. He completed the rasengan working together with a kagebunshin. How could it not even occur to him to try that method with this new jutsu? He couldn't muster the concentration to create a rasengan on his own, so he used the help of his kagebunshin to divide the concentration and work. If he thought of it then, how come he didn't think of it now? Is it because Kishi didn't want him to complete the jutsu that fast? And if it's really that simple, it seems to me like it cheapens this "ultimate jutsu" that even Yondaime and Jiraiya couldn't complete.

So in all, was there anything about this chapter that I enjoyed? It was rather interesting translating this chapter because of some of the technicalities involved and trying to find just the right words to translate it, and it did become something of a learning experience for me as Osakagaeri pointed out a mistake I made. I learned that I really shouldn't translate these kinds of things while low on sleep, and even more to the point, I really need to proof my script before I post it. And I learned a few things about English going over my trans with the script checkers at JapFlap. But as a part of the story... No, there really wasn't much I enjoyed.

Maybe I'm being overly harsh in my view of Naruto, but I've started to become bored of the series recently. Naruto's jutsu developement has stretched out in the chapters on and on... the fearsome Akatsuki has started to seem more like a stupid business organization than anything else... And overall where's the story development? While I personally didn't like it, the fact that Asuma was killed was the only event that had me feel anything more than boredom in the 20 chapters or more. Is Kishi really running out of ideas that he has to make things stretch over so many chapters without really developing the story? Yes, Naruto's new jutsu shouldn't be something that can be competed quickly, but do we really need to devote chapter after chapter after chapter on it? I think not.

Overall, I'm not giving up on Naruto just yet, but I'm really hoping that things will pick up. I'm not enjoying the reading of the chapters like I used to now. I'm looking forward to the release of the raw lately because I translate it. And before that, I read it, but it wasn't something I was really looking forward to reading for that last while. I want that feeling of impatience for the chapters to be released again. Not this feeling of indifference, because to be honest, the fact that there was no chapter this week didn't really bother me. In fact I felt more relieved since it would give me a break to try to catch up with some of my other side projects and such.

Robotic Red
November 06, 2006, 08:11 AM
I still think the Leader has a different plan on the side that he's not telling anyone about. And for some weird reason, I think Itachi's in on it.

Call it instinct, intuition, whatever.

white silver
November 06, 2006, 08:40 AM
I still think the Leader has a different plan on the side that he's not telling anyone about. And for some weird reason, I think Itachi's in on it.

[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]I really like that idea. Somehow the "Leader" may backstab his subordinates one way or the other. He's just using that as an excuse to capture all the bijuus because he may have a higher purpose for it. With the 9 bijuus at hand (8 if Naruto is not included for "Plot-no-jutsu's" sake). No ninja or force would go against him.

Hmm.... yeah, I think Itachi may be on to something, he has no other goal (which is quite strange since almost everyone has a "goal" in Akatsuki) except to be beaten by his brother *I think*.

ophidial
November 06, 2006, 08:49 AM
yeah, i agree i reckon at least 3 or 4 of them would have their own separate
agendas, and the AL's only telling this plan to hidan cause he's a
'troublesome child' anyways the plan isn't that bad. they wouldn't go
bankrupt cause the plan also included releasing bijuu in selected areas
and exorting money to get rid of them aswell and once they have complete
dominance over shinobi powers they will also have a major say in what they'd
get paid.

Gold Knight
November 06, 2006, 08:47 PM
Just had to say to Iwanin and Winterlion, these were incredibly well-written posts. I thoroughly enjoyed reading them both. Great posts.

But I can't say I agree with you both totally. Okay, so some drama MAY have been lost in that the Akatsuki are seeking such a methodical, perhaps dull route to ruling the world, I'll admit that much - but it doesn't ruin the series in my opinion.

Actually, if anything, it just makes them seem that much more dangerous to me. They actually act intelligent and patient, even though they're looking to do something on that much of an enormous scale. They're not looking to rush head first into any unnecessary battles.

Doesn't take away from that if they do get their hands on all the bijuus, they probably could do whatever they want to. They're just trying to take over the world in an inconspicious way, 'cause that's what their ninja daddies and mommies taught them to be like. ^^

I also agree with Robotic Red that this is probably just AL's Plan A. He probably does have a backup Plan B in case things don't go quite the way they wanted. With some of the bijuus already in his hands, there's gotta be a Plan B somewhere. That's too much power for there not to be one.

WinterLion
November 06, 2006, 09:03 PM
Just had to say to Iwanin and Winterlion, these were incredibly well-written posts. I thoroughly enjoyed reading them both. Great posts.
Thanks... though it was more of a rant than anything else on my part. :p

But I can't say I agree with you both totally. Okay, so some drama MAY have been lost in that the Akatsuki are seeking such a methodical, perhaps dull route to ruling the world, I'll admit that much - but it doesn't ruin the series in my opinion.
For me the disappointment isn't really just from this chapter... but from the progress of the chapters lately. The only real excitement we've had recently was Asuma's death and preceding battle, was a little too predictable for my taste.

Actually, if anything, it just makes them seem that much more dangerous to me. They actually act intelligent and patient, even though they're looking to do something on that much of an enormous scale. They're not looking to rush head first into any unnecessary battles.
The fact that they have a well thought out plan is good, but the part that disappoints me is the way the plan is laid out. World domination through a capitalistic monopoly system that will only result in it's own downfall in the end from a "business" stand point. Doesn't leave much for me to be impressed about... Maybe it's just me having a strong background in business that makes this seem so... impractical. But that's how I see it.

Doesn't take away from that if they do get their hands on all the bijuus, they probably could do whatever they want to. They're just trying to take over the world in an inconspicious way, 'cause that's what their ninja daddies and mommies taught them to be like. ^^

I also agree with Robotic Red that this is probably just AL's Plan A. He probably does have a backup Plan B in case things don't go quite the way they wanted. With some of the bijuus already in his hands, there's gotta be a Plan B somewhere. That's too much power for there not to be one.

I hope so. And like I said, I'm not giving up on the series yet, but if there isn't a Plan B (or at least some major developments soon) I'm going to loose interest in reading the series for the sake of reading them. I'll probably still translate it, as I enjoy translating itself, but the series is starting to loose my interest. I'm hoping I'm wrong and I would be happy to eat my words if Kishi proves me wrong later. :D

Gold Knight
November 06, 2006, 09:49 PM
Thanks... though it was more of a rant than anything else on my part. :p

Didn't think it was a rant ^^

For me the disappointment isn't really just from this chapter... but from the progress of the chapters lately. The only real excitement we've had recently was Asuma's death and preceding battle, was a little too predictable for my taste.

Asuma's upcoming death had to be kind of strongly hinted at, though, because it would really have shocked some readers if he had just died out of the blue. I do think it raises the tension in the story though. I'm anxious to see how Konohagakure reacts to this news, especially Naruto, Kakashi, and Kurenai.

The fact that they have a well thought out plan is good, but the part that disappoints me is the way the plan is laid out. World domination through a capitalistic monopoly system that will only result in it's own downfall in the end from a "business" stand point. Doesn't leave much for me to be impressed about... Maybe it's just me having a strong background in business that makes this seem so... impractical. But that's how I see it.

Hmm.. well, I didn't get a business degree. XD But the way I understood it was that the Akatsuki would be able to control the bijuus to create all sorts of havoc, and with that, they could probably control the world anyway - they're just trying to figure out a way to do it with as little resistance as possible. Always a chance of getting beaten if the whole world rises up against them. But if they get some of the world to work for them unknowingly - then there aren't going to be as many problems.

I hope so. And like I said, I'm not giving up on the series yet, but if there isn't a Plan B (or at least some major developments soon) I'm going to loose interest in reading the series for the sake of reading them. I'll probably still translate it, as I enjoy translating itself, but the series is starting to loose my interest. I'm hoping I'm wrong and I would be happy to eat my words if Kishi proves me wrong later. :D

I do agree with you on that. The story does need to get going. Part 2, especially recently, doesn't really have that same air of creativity and excitement that Part 1 did. It's enough to keep me reading, but I rated this chapter with only 3 and a half stars for a reason. I rated one of the chapters during the Sai arc with only two stars and a half. I don't think I would have rated ANY of the chapters in Part 1 under three stars.

More than anything, I'm really hoping to see more character development from the rest of the cast, not just Naruto and Sakura, now. Part of what made Naruto work so well in the first place was the genius of their supporting cast, but we haven't seen that in this one so far.

That's part of why I'm glad about Asuma's death, because it seems to signal that that is coming up.

Iwanin
November 07, 2006, 01:22 AM
Didn't think it was a rant ^^

One man's (or woman's, in WL's case) rant is another man's essay. Er, whatever.

World domination through a capitalistic monopoly system that will only result in it's own downfall in the end from a "business" stand point.

うむ.

But even suspending disbelief and supposing it all goes according to plan, the most disappointing aspect is how long term their goals are, because stopping Akatsuki loses the sense of urgency it had before.

It's no longer, "OMG, we have to stop them before they capture all bijuu," it's "oh, well, Akatsuki are dangerous. They can definitely kill powerful ninja. By the time our grandchildren are grown up, they might actually rule the world. Maybe. Which would be, uh, bad. Probably."

I mean, I still like the series, and I'll probably still be looking forward to each weekly release, but it was a big disappointment. To me, it seems like the series started losing steam at the end of part one, specifically during Naruto and Sasuke's fight. It was just too long and not as spectacular as you'd expect.

The second part has had it's ups and downs, but this is the first of be "big" questions from the first part to be answered (i.e., what is Akatsuki's goal), at it was a letdown (to me, anyway).

Instead of answearing remaining questions, Kishi's put forward further mysteries.

Remaining "big" questions:

1. Orochimaru's ultimate goal.
2. Who the "other" Mangekyou Sharingan user (besides Kakashi and Itachi) is.
3. Who's Akatsuki's leader?
4. Who's Uchiha Madara?
5. What's the secret of the Uchiha bloodline?
6. What's Itachi's goal?
7. What's Naruto's origin?
8. Who is the person standing opposite the First in the valley of endings?

Questions thus far answered:

1. What's Akatsuki's goal?

Answer: To quote Madonna from her appearence on American Band Stand ages ago, "to rule the world."

2. What do they want the bijuu for?

Answer: Plain ole' WMDs, silly.

3. What's that with the Final Fantasy X inspired Bijuu container statue-thingy?

Answer:Who cares! They're only using it to stock bijuu, their WMDs.

4. Did Kakashi get his Sharingan from an Uchiha named Obito who died in battle?

Answer: Yes.

5. Will Kurenai and Asuma live happily ever after?

Answer: No.

I sure hope the remaining "big" questions get far more satisfactory answers...

At any rate, I haven't given up on the series either, but I recently started reading Bleach and One Piece, if that says anything...

kiddo7
November 07, 2006, 03:53 PM
This is an interesting discussion so I might as well add my two cents worth.

It has been lamented that the A.L.'s plan is impractical from an economical pont of view because in the end they would eliminate all competition and then there would be no one to go to war against. While in theory this is a valid consideration, I do not see it ever causing any problems in the fictional real life situation that is the Naruto universe. Let me explain why by illstraiting, for my distinguished colleges, my understanding of the recently disclosed great and "fearsome" plan of the still mysterious Leader.

First of all let us establish a common premise (or two, or more as needed) on which I will base my arguments.
There are five super powers on whatever planet naruto lives, these are called the great five shinoby countries and they are named after the five basic chakra elements.
These five countries by far overwhelm any other existing country, not part of this group, in size, military power and influence.

Because of the incredible difference in power, all the smaller countries have pretty much given up on training ninjas as it is too expensive and even if they did train, they could not rival any of the great five nor could they be a threat to them just as they could not defend against them if the "big's" ever decided to attack.
These countries have found it much more practical, from a financial point of view, to hire out Ninjas from the "big's" in the rare occasion that they needed one than to train their own. In short they stopped producing and training high quality ninja.

Ever since this situation has solidified, and the "big's" found a way to get along with each other, Wars have become a thing of the past, (kinda like we do not have too many multi country wars on planet earth since WWII) as a result they too have found the need to train high level ninja less pressing.

This is the back ground I wish to work with. Bare with me, I'll get to the point soon.

Even if Akatsuki is the by far the most powerfull organization on the planet, it would be unrealistic to think that they can take on and eliminate all five Superpowers. (my opinion, but if you think of it in terms of our planet could you imagine any independant organization taking on and eliminating the USA, China, Europe, Russia, and one more random superpower?) That said, I do not believe that the A.L. is a fool nor do I believe that he does not know where he stands in his universe. Therefore I cannot console myself to the idea that he would imply that he is planing to replace all the ninja of all the countries including the "big five" and form a monopoly as the only organization training ang supplying warriors.
To me it sounded much more like he (in his own eyes) he saw the ineficiency and injustice in the world and he decided that he will level the playing field, by causing expensive wars between the smaller and greater nations. They do not want to be the only fighting force out there they just want to be strong enough to put up a fight with two or three of the big five and get away with it. What the leader is planing is to have constant warby causing mischief, probably with the bijuu's, and then hireing akatsuki out to weak countries, of which there are a whole lot by the way and this means they will be in business for a while, inorder to enable them to fight the big ones. by doing this they are taking the money that would be used to hire out ninjas from one of the other big countrys and using it to fight them.
The big countries on the other hand would not hire akatsuki for one thing because they are loosing money out of the deal and because they are stil producing their own ninja. Instead they would train their ninja harder and as a result the "old days of glory" would return, where truly every ninja is trained to the hight of his potential. The world would have only top notch ninja (because the weak ones would die quickly) and akatsuki would have a lot of money and the big nations, though they would not be defeated by akatsuki, would be in no position to challenge them or impede their actions.
If this did happen akatsuki's reputation would grow like a beanstalk and of course every one would hire them in order to go to war. not knowing that it was them that started the wars in the first place. They could also do it like the mafia do and have certain villages pay protection money, although I don't think that fits their style very much. My understanding is that akatsuki wants to make money off of going to war by causeing war and the reason he can is because he will always know which country needs akatsuki's services at the moment and he could be the first one to "bid for a contract" also If the reputation gets out that akatsuki ninja are independant of all countries and they can stand up to bijuu and hold their own against the best of the Big Five, the smaller countries will be very likely to be in competition for them.

That pretty much summs it up in a nutshell, this way there is no worry about running out of customersbecause they are not planing to take over any countries military, they just want every body to know that they will fight for the highest bidder and that attacking the great five is now fair game. This will weaken the five at first but most of all it will force them to turn out stronger ninja, wich in turn will let the warring season go on. They will not rule the world in the sense that they will be in total controll of every countries economics and military, much rather they will have the power to influence when warss start and when they end and they will be able to direct the cashflow that goes into war. by first making sure that all countries economies are based on war they will essentially be pulling all the strings and while they could if they wanted to eliminate all the countries and desolate the entire planet (assuming they went at it one at a time), It is much more likely that they will use their power to sow confusion and disagreement between the nations sothat they would have reasons to fight each other. Further more they will support the underdogs sothat they can live to continue the fight. This plan is good for business! If they control war they will be wise enough to introduce elements sothat ther will always be someone to fight against.

There I think that is enough for now,
if you do not agree with anythning you read (and I am sure ther will be some that don't, as there aught to be in any healthy conversation), or if you do not understand something please do comment on it and ask me to clarify. I would be glad to hear what you think.

weixiaobao
November 07, 2006, 06:01 PM
replied to Kiddo 7
It is interesting how you compare Naruto's world and our own. It is still possible for the smaller village to eliminated the bigger one like during Konoha's invasion. Konoha could end up losing more than it already is. And the two-tail second strongest in the some hidden village was beat up quite easily, that meant that leader not that much stronger either. If I was the leader of akatsuki, and if I succesfuly assasinated one of the hidden village's leader. The balance between 5 power broken. One of the five try to conquer the weaken leaderless village. Chaos gonna go every. And the akatsuki can use the oppoturnity to take over.

And our own world's great five nation not that impressive either. The USA have democracy which limit central leadership. Europe cannot do anything against war on terrorist. Russia not as strong as it once was. And China didn't do anything when Korea test nuclear weapons.

Not only in Naruto, but it seem as the third world war going to begin soon with all the nuclear weapons, dictatorship, and terrorists running around.

kiddo7
November 07, 2006, 07:37 PM
One or two yes but not all of them (edit: I guess I am not being very clear here; I am talking about being able to destroy one or two of the big 5)
I think that akatsuki might even do that to get a kick start eliminate say three of the five. But by then they wil be the other twoo will be expecting them and they will probably join forces to stop akatsuki. This will result in a big bloody guerilla warcausing both sides crippling damage. From here on out akatsuki will not be strong enough to quickly dispose of the rest of the countries but they will have made themselfs a reputaion and they will have the perfect stage to instigate many more profit bringing wars.

Also I am not saying that the balance we have is not delicate, just as the one in naruto. This is exactly because for one reason or another people cannot afford a war. that is where akatsuki comes in and upsets the balance and forces war on countries, thereby forcing the to come up with the funds for it. wich akatsuki can use to start another war.

weixiaobao
November 07, 2006, 08:49 PM
Wow! That is a lot of writing.
I didn't read it all, but basicly you said that Al (who is Al?) (I am a bit slow so i guess you are talking about the leader of Akatsuki) control the world by economy and war influence.

That sound like a very good and a very very possible plan for the akatsuki. But I must said I think Al could be a bit deeper than that though. I think Al have a farther goal which none of the akatsuki members know of.

Thanks Kiddo7 for your interesting view.

kiddo7
November 07, 2006, 10:39 PM
He probably does have a further goal. I was just making a case for his current plan wich to seemed like it was not getting a lot of appreciation.

WinterLion
November 07, 2006, 11:59 PM
One or two yes but not all of them (edit: I guess I am not being very clear here; I am talking about being able to destroy one or two of the big 5)
I think that akatsuki might even do that to get a kick start eliminate say three of the five. But by then they wil be the other twoo will be expecting them and they will probably join forces to stop akatsuki. [...]

But you're forgetting that with all the bijuus in their possession they would be able to destroy the Big 5. The reason there's been jinchuurikis and that all 9 bijuus still exist has to be because no one has knows how to kill them, only seal them. So how will the remaining 2 countries (by your prediction) fight off 9 bijuus? I doubt they would be able to.

And with an organization as powerful as Akatsuki, once the big 5 are destroyed, they would be able to quell any uprising pretty easily. So if all goes according to AL's plans, the whole thing will just implode on itself.

kiddo7
November 08, 2006, 01:05 AM
All your points are valid, and this is where I think inteligence comes in. You do not crush any country at all.
Not the big ones or the small ones.
You just attaack them untill they are within a margin of their lives. this way they will hate you enough to carry on a grudge wich in turn is perfect if you want to perpetuate wars. also deminishing the power of the great five would set them about equal with many of the smaller nations oppening up endless possibilities for wars to go unchecked.

Like I said I am sure the A.L. is not stupid, he will know when and how to excersize restraint.

kadoman
November 08, 2006, 03:49 PM
This thread makes for great reading folks! Well done! :D Iwanin, I always look forward to your opinions and Winny, great post there too! You go girl! :tem

I haven't much to say on the matter, but I've been having fun reading! To be perfectly honest, I really don't care that the Akatsuki's goal is world domination, or that they behave like a collective 'Bill Gates' in achieving it. :amuse I guess it's just very realistic and probably that is why people find it so dull? Like Winny, I haven't been 100% impressed with the direction the manga has taken since the Time Skip, so I guess my expectations haven't been very high. Not that I'm biased or anything, but personally, I think some of the wind was blown out of the manga's sails when Sasuke departed. It just leaves Naruto with very little to do (apart from develop his rasangan over and over).

I'm still pleased to read it though and still look forward to my weekly dose.

Robotic Red
November 08, 2006, 10:43 PM
The solution is simple.

More Naruto/Sai/Sakura/Yamato interaction.
More Sai cluelessness.
More inclusion of other characters (Team Kurenai and Team Asuma).
Naruto's puberty finally takes root in the form of teenage hormones. Add in a shy Hinata. Multiply by Kishimoto's desire for more romance...and you get the idea. (Replace Hinata with whomever you please.)
Another Chuunin Selection Exam (seriously, that was one of my favorite parts of Part I. Imagine how Naruto would do this time around?).
Another Third Exam Tournament. This time with an actual WINNER.
More Akatsuki attacking Konoha. Wouldn't it be just 'OH NO YOU DIDN'T!' if Hidan and Kakuzu came to Asuma's funeral and ran off moments later, head in hand?
Finding out WHO AKATSUKI'S LEADER IS.
Another operation by the Sound against Konoha. You know what this means: conflict with Sasuke.
Jiraiya and Tsunade versus Orochimaru. This time, all three at full strength.
Naruto settling his grudge with Kabuto.
For that matter, finding out more about KABUTO.
An all-out battle between Akatsuki's nine members against Konoha, along with any mercenary forces at their disposal for the purpose of obtaining Naruto and the Kyuubi. Wouldn't that just be AWESOME?
Finding out who's beneath Tobi's mask.
Gaara and Company showing up again to kick names and take...er, wait. Reverse that.

And personally, I think it would be the greatest twist ever if - considering that he no longer has Shukaku to give his sand-manipulation a super boost (I also think his Shield of Sand is also now nonexistent because of it) - if Gaara came to ROCK LEE to bulk up his Taijutsu skills and his speed to compensate for no longer being a Jinchuriki. I mean, that would be the greatest example of irony EVER.

kiddo7
November 09, 2006, 01:01 AM
@ winterlion

I just reread 239 now and after rereading it I have to admitnthat my theories do not hold water very well. the Akatsuki Leader explicitly contradicts some of the statements I made. now it makes even less sense to me. I you where right on the dot the whole time, his plan will eventually self destruct.

WinterLion
November 09, 2006, 01:54 AM
This thread makes for great reading folks! Well done! :D Iwanin, I always look forward to your opinions and Winny, great post there too! You go girl! :tem
Thanks, I'm glad you found my bit of ranting to be good reading. :amuse

I haven't much to say on the matter, but I've been having fun reading! To be perfectly honest, I really don't care that the Akatsuki's goal is world domination, or that they behave like a collective 'Bill Gates' in achieving it. :amuse I guess it's just very realistic and probably that is why people find it so dull?
It's not the fact that it's very realistic that disappoints me... it's the fact that it's only partly realistic. If Kishi is going to make it a business-like realistic plan, then I would at least want it to be plausible that it would work. From what AL has explained to be his plan, it's self-destructive and unrealistic that it would work. And that's why I'm disappointed because it's not as well thought out as I expected it would be, and the AL's intelligence level has gone down a bit in my estimate because of that. I guess what I was expecting was that they would either be a kill everyone and everything type organization that would rule through sheer power, or would have some very well thought out and frighteningly thorough plan to take over everything. And from what we've been introduced to as AL's plan... it falls somewhere in between those 2 scenarios without really capturing the best of either end. So in a word: half-baked.

Like Winny, I haven't been 100% impressed with the direction the manga has taken since the Time Skip, so I guess my expectations haven't been very high. Not that I'm biased or anything, but personally, I think some of the wind was blown out of the manga's sails when Sasuke departed. It just leaves Naruto with very little to do (apart from develop his rasangan over and over).
I'm hoping things pick up soon and that we'll see more developments, and as Iwanin said, hoping to see better answers to the remaining major questions of the series.

@kiddo: I really preferred your version of the plan though. :p At least that would have made sense to me. And something that I can completely see an organization like Akatsuki doing. Creating and ending wars at will just to make a profit and control those around them. Now that would have impressed me more than his current plan.

kiddo7
November 09, 2006, 01:41 PM
We could always stick our heads into the sand and pretend like the true meaning of the plan was lost in translation and in real the leader actually came up with something frigteningly clever and logical. however that is sounding more and more unlikely to me the more often I read through the pages, especially since I have come too know some of the translators a little bit and I know that their translations are as close to accurate as possible.

Gold Knight
November 12, 2006, 12:52 AM
Just FYI, guys... I've had a fever that's being pretty persistent in not going away the last three days. It actually almost went away yesterday, but I went to a high school football game, so I was out of town all day. And then today the darn fever came back, although not in full force, but I still haven't felt right all day.

To complicate matters, I've had trouble accessing Imageshack without my computer freezing while I've been working on the Comments.

I'll try to get my Comments out on Monday though, but it seems until I get the PC fixed or change to another PC, I can't really guarantee it coming out on RAW Days every time. Sorry about the delay though.

white silver
November 12, 2006, 01:07 AM
Just FYI, guys... I've had a fever that's being pretty persistent in not going away the last three days. It actually almost went away yesterday, but I went to a high school football game, so I was out of town all day. And then today the darn fever came back, although not in full force, but I still haven't felt right all day.

To complicate matters, I've had trouble accessing Imageshack without my computer freezing while I've been working on the Comments.

I'll try to get my Comments out on Monday though, but it seems until I get the PC fixed or change to another PC, I can't really guarantee it coming out on RAW Days every time. Sorry about the delay though.

[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]That's okay, we can wait. Get well soon! *Gives Lemon Juice*

WinterLion
November 12, 2006, 02:31 PM

Taking care of yourself comes first. Make sure to get lots of rest. And lots of vitamin C. Ack... there I go being a mom again... :p But seriously, take care of yourself first, and then deal with your computer. The comments (and the rest of us) can wait until then. :amuse

Garaku
November 13, 2006, 01:53 AM
We'll be wishing for your health! And if you don't get better soon, I'll gladly operate with my new chainsaw!