PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Non-Devil Fruit Powers.

kkck
January 22, 2010, 02:49 AM
In the manga so far we have seen a few characters who for some reason have special powers even in spite of the fact that they have yet to consume devil fruits. There are also a few who have shown powers which seem unrelated to their own devil fruits. Here are a few examples.

Zoro's asura:
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/417/17/

Sanji's diable jambe:
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/415/13/

Baroque works girl (Miss Goldenweek):
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/123/19/

Snake sisters:
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/520/04/
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/520/10/
-At least I don't see how their respective DF coudl possibly result in manipulating fire or hair in such a way-.

Hawkin's divination:
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/508/07/
-he seems mostly like a strawman with voodo like powers; epic combination with confusing effect lol-

There is quite some variation although with several limits. Powers like this would be less extreme than DF ones but in turn just as effective. It would be interesting to see truly powerful people having powers and effects of this nature. Mihawk, garp, sengoku, vista, and probably a few others seem like decent candidates for such a thing. Imagine mihawk having his own version of asura or garp doing something elemental (dunno, rub his hands against wool gloves and use a thunder punch lol). It is also a way for luffy and other strawhats to power up beyond the power of their devil fruit. What do you all think?

Fox666
January 22, 2010, 11:35 AM
According to Oda, Miss Goldenweek use a form of hypnosis. She also comments that Luffy simply mind let him be easily affected by his powers.

Somehow I feel this is not a "power". :P

There is Rokushiki. It seems to be the default Marine technique. Vice-admirals use it. Coby and Helmeppo used Soru, so I guess Garp (their teacher) is a Rokushiki user.

I think that for this discussion there must be classified the type of power:
- Martial arts technique (Sanji red leg, CP9 Rokushiki, Captain Kuro speed...)
- Wenpory (Zoro swordmanship, Franky)
- Mystical power (Zoro Azura, Jango Hypnosis, snake systers attacks)

kkck
January 22, 2010, 01:49 PM
I made this thread to discuss things more skin to what you called mystical power since they seem remarkably supernatural for them to not be DF. I did not make this thread to discuss things as fighting stiles or weapons (I guess it is ok if you do it though) If things like asura, hypnosys or mantra (not sure if haki should be here) are plausible then there is no limit to what a character could do. Take what seems to be sengoku's power, could it be something along the lines of asura instead of a giant DF? Odds of it being a DF are very high but it'd be far more interesting if it was something he developed on his own.

Fox666
January 22, 2010, 03:48 PM
It depends. Rokushiki can make air pressure attacks, dance in middle-air, turn the body bigger/smaller, move their own hair, etc. It is not that different from Diable Jambe, which sanji moves his leg with speed to increase the temperature.

The same goes for swordmanship. In One Piece, sword slashes become long-range air pressure attacks as Ivankov Death Wink does. :)

Sengoku do two type of things at least. He turns his body into another material (just look at his hair). He increase his size. And he does that at his will.

Well, somehow I feel this is not a paramecia. There aren't paramecia's that deal with two different forms of transformation. Since he increase his size, I guess it is an acceptable possibility a stone Logia (much like Enel did at the end)?

I also feels it can be Rokushiki. He can use Life Return to increase his size, and that another Rokushiki technique that turns his skin harder to hit.

I don't know enough about Zoro's Azura nature to compare. Is he moving so fast that you get the illusion of three heads? Kaku commented that Zoro "spirit" (Haki??) was so strong he got that illusion.

LeKuaSimi
January 23, 2010, 03:55 AM
it is possible that Sengoku's DF is actually a Zoan, is that not?

OunknownO
January 23, 2010, 08:41 AM

no, zoan gives you a powers of animal... this is paramecia

Wrath
January 23, 2010, 05:57 PM
It's unlikely, but it's possible that he has the Zoan Fruit of an extremely large creature. I imagine somewhere in the world there's the Giant Giant Fruit, after all.

And to me it's always been obvious that Ki exists in One Piece. In fact there's Ki, Kiki (Zoro's demon energy) and Haki, all of which have similarities and differences. I think that Ki is the logical explanation things like Zoro setting Ryuuma on fire or Brooke sending people to sleep or Sanji being able to superheat his leg without setting it on fire.

kkck
January 23, 2010, 06:09 PM
I still think it is possible sengoku's power is something along the lines of what zoro does. Zoro makes a bunch of limbs out of nowhere, why wouldn't sengoku be able to increase his size? Odds are sengoku is a fruit user but it'd be interesting to see something new here.

Fox666
January 23, 2010, 09:06 PM
Well, I think it is just a Devil Fruit. (And is not impossible of being a stone Logia)

I would like to see more "magic" powers. But there aren't many... if you read Hunter x Hunter, it's pretty good in explaining the Nem power. Best than Naruto's Chakra explanation...

Poneglyph420
January 23, 2010, 09:44 PM
The form that Sengoku took was that of Daibutsu..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daibutsu

This is the most common/famous Buddha in Japan. I think that it's possible this power could be some special technique, but it stinks of Paramecia to me.

I have to admit I laughed my ass off the first time I saw "Daibutsu" Sengoku ROFL!!

I'd love it to be a stone Logia.... but meh.

Bugzee
January 25, 2010, 11:25 AM
The form that Sengoku took was that of Daibutsu..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daibutsu

This is the most common/famous Buddha in Japan. I think that it's possible this power could be some special technique, but it stinks of Paramecia to me.

I have to admit I laughed my ass off the first time I saw "Daibutsu" Sengoku ROFL!!

I'd love it to be a stone Logia.... but meh.

lol I wouldn't mind seeing a stone logia but seriously would that work?? :blink

To me a stone logia would be a bit awkward. Sengoku's ability is probably another one of those mythical/legendary devil fruits....I think its a type of zoan but hopefully we'll know for sure very soon :)

I wonder if Sentoumaru incorporates/blends the use of haki & rokushiki together??:blink Maybe, that's how he has gained the ability of having the 'world's strongest defence' title??? :blink Well, just a thought :amuse

Razh
January 25, 2010, 11:39 AM
Sengoku is either a giant zoan or some mythical zoan like deva or something. Who knows.
The fact that his hair looks like on Buddha statues could just be an effect of becoming larger where his afro-like hair can be seen more detailed. Or it becomes like that because he turns into a mythical creature.

kangclaw
April 11, 2010, 03:35 AM
Sengoku doesn'y look like an animal, so he is very likely paramecia. Paramecia DFs seem to be the most diverse of the three category.

Gecko Moria
April 11, 2010, 05:26 AM
Zoan abilities allow the user to transform into an animal which Sengoku's Daibutsu form does not resemble at all. Far more likely that the ability would fall into the Paramecia category as the Paramecia fruits are the ones that tend to grant powers that would be considered "superhuman".

However, I am not ruling out the distant possibility of the fruit being a mythical Zoan as we have only see one so far (Marco) but based on current knowledge that Zoan users transform into animals, Paramecia is the more logical assumption.

Wrath
April 11, 2010, 06:25 AM
I'm adamant in my belief that there's ki in OP even if it has never been specifically mentioned. It explains so many of the abilities, and there ARE two specifically named forms of energy: Haki (ambition energy) and Kiki (demon energy). There are just so many weird powers out there, but Oda isn't the sort of mangaka to get bogged down in explanations.

I mean, there has to be more to why Luffy is so absurdly strong. We know he doesn't use Haki to power his strength (at least not yet), but it's also not just brawn or use of his DF power. After all, in Water 7 Luffy went from being stuck between two buildings without any leverage to destroying a chunk of the city with pure strength just because Nami helped him get rid of his doubt about Robin. That's a purely emotional experience that translated directly into physical strength.

Then you have all the weird shit like Diable Jambe. Yes, Sanji gains power by heating up his leg... but somehow that heat doesn't burn his clothes, despite being hot enough to set other people on fire and, you know, glow bright red.

Or how Brooke can send people to sleep by using his sword to play his violin. That's just crazy. Awesome, but crazy. We know that sword users have amazing moves like slicing ships in two or setting zombies on fire, and Brooke somehow combines that with music. No way that's just down to the violin, or he wouldn't do it with his sword.

Whether it's plain ki or there are even more types of energy out there that people are using, it's definitely not a simple power system Oda has going.

BetaRuler
April 12, 2010, 12:01 AM
My guess with Sengokus power is that it looks very similar to that skypeia Supernovas ability to grow big and small, so I wouldnt be too surprised if Sengoku isn't using a DF.

- Fox666
Since when do Rokushiki users get the ability to change their size? I've never seen them change sizes, are you confusing the transformation points between the human forms and the animal forms perhaps?

For weapons stuff I never saw anyone mention the skypeia dial stuff, their a power in themselves

Theres also Lafittes hypnosis which is at least above poor Django's XD
The Fishman karate almost deserves a mention too doesn't it?

Lastly Hawkeyes... I'm not sure if youd call it an ability, but many people seem to be intimidated by his eyes.

Fox666
April 12, 2010, 01:35 AM
- Fox666
Since when do Rokushiki users get the ability to change their size? I've never seen them change sizes, are you confusing the transformation points between the human forms and the animal forms perhaps?Here: http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/423/13/

BetaRuler
April 13, 2010, 03:18 AM
yeah that's him using his fruit to do that isn't it?

Poneglyph420
April 14, 2010, 02:41 AM
The fact that Lucci's body gets smaller from using his Seimei Kikan Kami-e Bushin is based on Rokushiki. While the fact that Lucci gets bigger when it's cancelled is based on his Zoan ability.

undertoe
April 14, 2010, 10:22 AM
Since when is seimei kikan a rokushiki ability? They're two separate abilities. Two rokushiki users just happened to be able to use it.