PDA

View Full Version : Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

Ustegius
May 23, 2011, 07:55 AM
I loved Hellboy for Del Toros vision. It looked brilliant, managed to carry the kinda unique mood the artstyle gives to the comics, while still being completly new, Del Toros own.

Scott Pilgrim and Kick-Ass were hilarious films. Especially enjoyed Kick-Ass. It was pretty damn intense.

Watchmen, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and V for Vendetta are all comics by the same author, Alan Moore. Other two are good films, but the League was horrible and it shares practically nothing in common with the comic. And all three are better in comic form. Though V for Vendetta is close.

Sin City and 300 are also by the same comic artis, Frank Miller. For the films, both look very good. Sin City had more depth to it though and was a better film. 300 was hardly more than one long action scene.

History of Violence is in my opinion slightly underrated. The finale felt bit silly, but otherwise it was a great film. The Crow was brilliant for something of it's time, but in my opinion sligtly overrated. Still good though.
[hr]
On the topic of comicfilms, I wonder if all hope is lost about Blacksad and Bone animation films. Both are excellent comics, in my all-time top 10, and that's including manga. For both rights were sold and plans made, but there has been no news on neither since 2008. I guess those were burn by the production hell.

(Bone is about 3 "bone" creatures, who are fugitives from Bonevillage. They end up In The Valley, were rat creatures terrorize the folk and The Red Dragon has been spotted. Starts as a comedy and developes into a fantasy epic.

Blacksad is a spanish comic about a private detective Blacksad in film noir style set in late 50's US. The twist is, that all characters are anthropomorphic animals. The characters race usually reflects his/her personality and part in the story. For example the police are mostly canids, while the underground people are reptilians.

Bit of promo for two great comics here :amuse)

HegemonKhan
May 23, 2011, 10:09 AM
err, my bad, I "meant" micheal keaton, wrong guy with val kilmer, lol.

ya I meant the burton one, 1989 one, the one with jack nick as joker :D

------------

what really killed batman... forget jim carrey as the riddler... ARNOLD as mr. freeze... UGHN, though I don't know who's worse arnold as mr. freeze or robin... as robin is just as bad/annoying as is arnold as mr freeze, ughn...

--

IMO

Robin is THEE worst sidekick character ever invented!

--------

the corny of corny of batmans, the poison ivy one (batman forever?), arnold as mr freeze, jim carrey as riddler, and any otehr I'm missing... they really insult me, as batman is a very serious and sophisticated comic/story... and they make these CORNY "things" !!! ARGH!!!

---------

but then they finally rectified these with Batman Begins and Dark Knight, as batman should be told hehe :D DARK :D

Koen
May 23, 2011, 10:25 AM
The third Pirates movie was awful. I bored myself completely and if a cinema would have had a remote control, I would have turned off the movie and screen all together. It didn't make sense, it was even so awful that for some reason I started to like the also disappointing second pirates movie.

I haven't watched the fourth Pirates movie and I hear mixed reviews about it. What triggers my interest is the criticism that the movie has less jokes and that there's a darker/more serious story in it. This is definitely good because I really don't want impossible action sequences which are hurting your eyes more. Give me the basics from the first movie back, please

Ustegius
May 23, 2011, 10:31 AM
No, I don't think the 4th was anymore serious or darker. Maybe a tiny bit, but not really significantly. The impossible action sequences are still there, and the jokes. And the most of them aren't even funny. The only good things in it were visuals/cgi and Ian McShane.

I doubt they will ever be able to bring back what the first film had.

Koen
May 23, 2011, 10:40 AM
And if you had to rate it on /10, Ust? Do you place it all behind or was it at least more appealing that the second and/or third movie?

HegemonKhan
May 23, 2011, 10:45 AM
I'd say it's better than the 2nd and 3rd, just don't expect much from it though.

it was really simple and short and a bit dull, though entertaining/enjoyable enough to watch through it, without boredom.

it wasn't awful, but it wasn't good either. kinda mediocre. it's watchable, but don't expect to be "Wowwed" by anything in it. but, at least it's not confusing/weird like the 3rd, lol.

Ustegius
May 23, 2011, 10:51 AM
Well, it's bit hard to judge since ithas been awhile since I saw the first three. And I'm not a big fan of number ratings either. I'd say 5/10 and bit under Deadman's Chest and At the World's End. So yeah, it is worst of the bunch. But not by much, those other two are pretty bad also.

@hege: short wouldn't be an adjective I've use about it. It is about 2 and half hours afterall.:neutral

Organizized
May 23, 2011, 10:53 AM
@HegemonKhan: Yeah, there's a reason Batman & Robin is often called one of the worst movies ever... But I always watch that movie "sarcastically", almost as a parody. I mean seriously, some of the jokes in that one would make the 60's Batman TV show with Adam West look serious. All those Mr. Freeze puns. :faint

The Adam West one (I've only seen a few episodes and own the movie from 1966, mind you), I really view as a parody. There's no way you can get mad at something so silly.. I mean, no one is gonna take that seriously, right? Batman & Robin is actually also quite funny if you turn off geek-mode and allow yourself to laugh at its terribleness. :p

Concerning the 4th Pirates movie... I'm watching it solely because Ian McShane is in it. The trailer alone included too many unfunny jokes and had too much of a Disneyfied vibe for me to have any high expectations about it at all. Seriously, they should just let Johnny add his quirkiness to his character himself like in the first movie instead of trying to write the character that way. That, Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley were the things I disliked about #2 and #3. So while they got rid of some of the negative factor, there's still the worst part left...

Still, Ian Mcfuckin'Shane is awesome. I'll watch it.

juUnior
May 23, 2011, 10:54 AM
- V for Vendetta
- Sin City
- Kick-Ass
- Scott Pilgrim vs. the world
- A History of Violence
- Watchmen
- Hellboy I&II
- The Crow
- Burtons Batmans
- Road to Perdition

That is suprisingly many.
If you look back in the history, there are many comic book films, though there were usually too much cliche <Batman form 60s anyone? xd> Though, there are rare instances when I really LOVED the old movie compared to the newest incarnations, like The Punisher with Dolph Lundgren and compare it to The Punisher movie with Jane; even the "newest" Punshier movie was better because there were freakin' blood and that stuff. How the hell somebody could make The Punisher movie and not showing any real violence is beyond me.

About Robin: I don't think its the worst sidekick evern invented. There's so much history behind it, and so much character "played" Robin. The thing is: if it means for film industry, its usually a disaster :p

HegemonKhan
May 23, 2011, 10:56 AM
well, short in its simplicity of scenes, story, plot, but you're right that actual run time, is not short.

sorry for the confusion, I couldn't think of a better word or way to have worded it when I was typing it in. ya, short isn't the best word for what I meant.

-------

well, I just don't personally like Robin, never did, batman, doesn't need a sidekick, he works alone :D

Robin was just too annoying and I hate his outfit and he's always corny or just downright annoying.

its a really old pet peeve of mine, of not liking Robin, lol

Organizized
May 23, 2011, 11:06 AM
Robin as a character himself isn't the worst sidekick ever. The 90's movies incarnation of him is, for sure, but in other versions of Batman he's not that bad. I can't say he's ever been a favorite character of mine, but like juUnior said, he has a pretty well developed backstory and when he gets the right type of character development instead of just going "whiny -> whiny and annoying -> whiny and annoying little bitch", he can actually provide to the story.

In the graphic novel The Dark Knight Returns where Bruce Wayne is like 60-something and Dick Grayson isn't Robin anymore, a 13-year-old girl takes on the role as Robin... I probably like that character more than I ever liked any of the movie incarnations of the character..

With all this talk of Batman movies recently, I have to mention this:

The first picture of Tom Hardy as Bane (http://www.empireonline.com/images/image_index/hw800/51515.jpg) from the upcoming The Dark Knight Rises. Looks awesoooooooooooooooooooooooome!

Ustegius
May 23, 2011, 11:18 AM
Btw, The Dark Knight Returns incarnation of Robin is maybe my favorite. Haven't read too much Batman though.

I also saw that first look on Bane just yesterday. Looks pretty badass. That picture makes it pretty sure that his backstory (jail years) will be there. Dark room with only hinge of light far away. Okay, pretty obvious, but still. It's the only observation I think can be done based on that.

juUnior
May 23, 2011, 11:20 AM
Robin was just too annoying and I hate his outfit and he's always corny or just downright annoying.
I agree that Batman works alone <or it should be that way xd>.

About Robin: ok, so we're dealing with personal preferences here. I think he's not "always" corny, and it depend on which Robin we're talking about. But I think its a discussion for comic book thread rather than here. Just to make myself clear: I don't want to see any Robin in Nolan's third movie <I know, I know, it isn't supposed to be, but to be clear xd>

About the first pic from TDKR: when I looked at it yesterday or sth like that - I'm pretty much impressed though I would like to see more fully his mask as I'm not entirely speechless about it. Still, it doesn't beat the pic of the Joker from TDK when I first saw it - it just blown me away. I'm not saying its not awesome, but it didn't make so much impact on me. Still, Hardy just needs to look like in Bronson movie and its gooooood <3

hdiuy
May 27, 2011, 01:28 AM
I know Thor's out for a long time. But i just want to say that i felt that it was an above average movie. I never read Thor comics and i don't think i will start anytime soon.The humour was probably the only thing that elevate it from average to 'above average'. The story wasn't bad but it wasn't exactly impressive. I nearly LOLed when Thor talked about him being an ally to the SHIELD agent; i found the Thor's turn in behaviour kinda sudden, i know its a 2 hour movie but still...

The action was average. I found the fights kinda boring. 1 thing i noticed is that most of the fights in comic book movies are usually boring. There are lots of potential for such fights but most of them the movies just fail to tap into the potential. Maybe they should start learning from anime/manga fights.

Anyway , with the latest trailers out there. I would say that either GL or X-men would be the no. 1 comic book movie this year. But i could be wrong though.

goldb
May 27, 2011, 04:15 PM
Saw Hangover Part II a while ago :zomg I loved it. Such a laugh! I wouldn't say it was better than the first one but similarly different. The composition of the story was all the same but with so many differences that made it hilarious. Alan is as funny as you'd expect him to be and MUCH MORE :faint but Stuart got funnier! :rofl And a great cameo at the end!
I'd give it a 8/10

xi0
May 27, 2011, 05:07 PM
Saw Thor yesterday. I really enjoyed it, even though I never followed the comic really. It look beautiful, and is another example of when movie makers treat a franchise seriously (getting the right director, cast), it makes for a good movie. Not saying it was a masterpiece, but it turned out MUCH BETTER than I ever thought a movie about Thor could be.

Amongst the comic movies coming out this summer, I think Captain America might end up being the best. Green Lantern looks much better than when the first trailer was released on the web. X-Men: First Class is a dark horse. The trailer looked amazing, but rebooting the series is always a risk.

HegemonKhan
May 27, 2011, 11:23 PM
For me, I'm leaning towards the Green Lantern turning out to be more of a disappointment, than in being a good/great movie, and instead I'm going to put my hopes in X-men, being a good/great movie. I can not yet guess whether Captain America will be good or not, with what little I've seen of it, but it does look promising of what I've seen, but that definately does not mean it will be promising, as all too often, American movies, as nowadays have their very best scenes as the trailor, while you find out that the rest of the movie, the movie itself, is totally awful, sighs.

thornofcarrion
May 28, 2011, 12:52 AM
Drive Angry was a really waste of time. Nothing new, the plot sucked, so so acting.

juUnior
May 28, 2011, 06:02 AM
I didn't comment on Fast Five - I mean, srsly, it was a really good movie, I like it xD But I'm also real subjective here, as I like this franchise. Its the fifth movie in the series and I still love it. Not to mention the cast from the previous movies appearing in this one <like I always loved to see Don and Roman in one movie :p> Not to mention that Hobbs is a good addition xD To "tanks" fighting is really cool XD Really entertaining movie, and like always there is at least one scene with "car racing party" XD Awesome, I recommend it every fan of Fast & Furious series.

HegemonKhan
May 28, 2011, 05:14 PM
Fast 5 was entertaining, but there's not much else to it, but definately as good as the other ones, but I still liked the Tokyo Drift one the best, hehe. For an action series, Fast 5, was just as good as the others, and wasn't a let down, you'll be entertained.

----------------

Drive Angry was terrible as well, and what's with the lead actress having no sex scenes... but the minor characters do... lol. A few good sex+naked scenes, otherwise totally horrible movie.

baboysai
May 30, 2011, 01:50 AM
I saw this flick, The Switch. Entertaining, at best. Jennifer Anniston Botoxed is just too distracting. >.>

juUnior
May 30, 2011, 06:57 AM
If its for me, I like mostly the first Fast & Furious, than Tokyo Drift and 4/5 equally <but there was real change of what was of utmost importance <like racing cars stuff> but it didn't change the fact its still a good action movie.. with cars xD> and least the second one <though its not that I will say it was bad because it still was entertaining> Yeah, nice movies to watch nice action stuff with nice cars and nice ladies/guys, and to let the mind rest and enjoy it XD Can't wait for what they will do with nr6, hyhy ^^

baboysai
May 30, 2011, 07:27 AM
Oh, I also just watched Little Fockers yesterday. Pretty hilarious, and I loved it just like I loved the first movie. And from the sound of it, they are open for a fourth installment??

goldb
May 30, 2011, 03:45 PM
Damn it, I've got Little Fockers but I haven't seen it yet, nor The Fighter and a few others :shakefist

I liked the first FF and Tokyo drift because it felt like a fresh seperate movie instead of some sequel. 2Fast2Furious was okay but I didn't like Tyrese's character for some reason and still don't.

baboysai
May 31, 2011, 07:18 AM
Well, in all the Fockers movies, the real lovers had always been de Niro and Ben Stiller. :XD

Schabrak
May 31, 2011, 11:30 AM
Seen Hanna and Hangover 2 yesterday, was worth every Cent, even though I didn't knew what the second movie was, being a Sneak Preview. Nearly had the first movie for me alone, with a pair some rows behind me, but with to much noise and laughter in the second one...

The Focker movies got less and less funny, with the last one, on the level of Night at the Museum 2. :/ Can't say that I liked much of his movies in between Zoolander and Tropic Thunder, Starky and Hutch maybe, so is Greenberg worth a shot?

Koen
June 02, 2011, 04:15 PM
I watched x-men the first class. I enjoyed it even though wolverine (hugh jackman) didn't play in it (well his :rofl 10 seconds aside). The beginning felt like I was watching the first movie. It was great to use the beggining scene of the first movie as the starting point. The character development of Xavier and Magneto was great. That's what I liked a lot in this movie, their friendship and ideas weren't cheesy and the villain (shaw) used the cold war with its true historical facts as his plans :)

It is also great to see other notable mutants such as Havok, Emma Frost, Azazel, etc... I loved it because you didn't see anyone else from the original x-men movies magneto, xavier, mystique and 10 seconds wolverine aside

Cool watch

xi0
June 02, 2011, 04:44 PM
I watched x-men the first class. I enjoyed it even though wolverine (hugh jackman) didn't play in it (well his :rofl 10 seconds aside). The beginning felt like I was watching the first movie. It was great to use the beggining scene of the first movie as the starting point. The character development of Xavier and Magneto was great. That's what I liked a lot in this movie, their friendship and ideas weren't cheesy and the villain (shaw) used the cold war with its true historical facts as his plans :)

It is also great to see other notable mutants such as Havok, Emma Frost, Azazel, etc... I loved it because you didn't see anyone else from the original x-men movies magneto, xavier, mystique and 10 seconds wolverine aside

Cool watch

Don't forget Hank McCoy, who was in the second and third movies.

Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing it too for sure.

goldb
June 03, 2011, 07:00 AM
Oh Yeah I forget it's not out in the U.S yet :p

Well I saw it 2 days ago with a full capacity cinema, had to sit in the 2nd row :crying But so worth it. I too loved the development of Eric and Charles' friendship and how it all unfolded. Michael Fassbender(Magneto) and James McAvoy(Charles)'s chemistry was great and it made the movie all that more enjoyable. Kevin "I Love" Bacon always makes a badass baddie and he doesn't disappoint. I really wanted to see more of Wolverine in this movie but the few seconds he was in was some of the best! :lmao

Really loved the story to be honest and yeah like Koen said, it was great to see a nearly completly new cast to the previous 4 films.
SFX was amazing as you would expect and I loved that the movie was more than just about what powers characters had but really had a strong storyline.

Ohhh excellent cameo by Rebecca Romijn :hurr

8.5/10

juUnior
June 03, 2011, 07:36 AM
Well.. X-men First Class is freakin' cool comic book movie. I mean: I was really, REALLY sceptical about this and thought that Vaughn will make this movie somewhat too unrealistic or sth <I don't know, I thought it can't be compared to the first 2 X-men movies> and.. I'm shocked! Firstly I read reviews about the movie and almost every was with "so awesome" feeling towards that movie that I had to watch it. This is really, really good X-men adaptation, I didn't expect that <I like first 2 X-men movies by Singer, and now I like this version> Can't wait for sequel, actually xD

btw. it seems nobody puts spoilers so I'm just warning.. SPOILERS AHEAD:

Wolverine's cameo wins the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XDXDXDXDXD

HegemonKhan
June 03, 2011, 07:42 AM
I should be a movie reviewer/critic, hehe :D

I thought that X-Men would be good, and it seems so far, everyone is liking it here, hehe.

now... for me to complete my "clairovoyance" (can't spell, grr), unfortunately, that means Green Lantern has to turn out not being very good, lol.

well, so far I'm 1/1, lol.

I'm going to go see X-Men today, you guys/girls favorable comments got me excited for it, hehe :D

(not fair though you get to see it earlier... V.V... j/k hehe)

goldb
June 03, 2011, 08:07 AM
Yeah but you guys got to see Kung Fu Panda 2 earlier, not that I would swap the 2 :lmao
It's not out here til 10th June.

Koen
June 03, 2011, 08:45 AM
Exactly... This was a great comic book movie. I dare to say that this one was on par with the first two movies. The bromance - I hate the word but I'll use it - between Eric and Xavier was luckily the focus of the story. It showed some youth history of both and it slightly, with a great pace, came to the moment in which they both meet each other. The actors did a great job and this fascinates me even more because going by the cast, you would say that the previous x-men are more overwhelming (Stewart, McKellen, Jackman, Halle Berry, Femke Janssen, etc, etc) but damn, Xavier, Eric/Magneto, Shaw were played by actors who did a great job.

Personally, it is my most favourite one

HegemonKhan
June 03, 2011, 10:33 AM
well, while the other x-men movies had good casts, they really didn't have much character interaction with each other.

the only good character interaction I really remember was between Wolverine and Rogue in the first x-man movie.

(I can't remember the second or the 3rd one that well, argh, being old and with a bad memory anyways, sucks, lol)

edit: the 2nd was good with the back story of Wolverine and Sabretooth being brothers and their relationship to each other. So this interaction was good too, but it was more due to the story set up of them, than just purely their dialogue being good in of itself.

---------

I liked both X-men 1 and 2, but not 3, as I really liked the phoenix saga (from the old tv animated series lol), but the 3rd movie (the lead up to the Phoenix Saga) was awful for me.

juUnior
June 03, 2011, 12:23 PM
Well, I think Professor Xavier and Magneto had really well done interaction in the first movie - of course it wasn't so many scenes like in the newest movie, but they surely had nice interactions.. and WHEN they had, the scenes were really fantastic; Stewart and McKellen were just fantastic, and the end scene between them - epic.
With the second movie it became somewhat less intense, but there was still some spark on that one. With the third - we know the third one, eh xd
But I do agree - in the newest movie interaction between these characters is awesome. And Fassbender's Magneto is at least equal to McKellen Magneto <I mean: he is younger, yet sooooo cool as the "old" one> I would even daresay like in one review I read that Fassbender's Magneto is even better <its still shock to me - before the movie I was not only sceptical about the whole movie, but in general about Fassbender's portrayal of Magneto being probably really, really weak - oh, how wrong I was :p>

@HegemonKhan, that interaction of Wolvi and Sabretooth was in Wolverine spin-off methinkes xd If I recall correctly, the second one was with Stryker's 'rise'.. and fall xP

thornofcarrion
June 03, 2011, 12:41 PM
I watched The Priest today. It wasn't a bad movie but not the one that would go as one of my favorites.

HegemonKhan
June 03, 2011, 05:54 PM
"@HegemonKhan, that interaction of Wolvi and Sabretooth was in Wolverine spin-off methinkes xd If I recall correctly, the second one was with Stryker's 'rise'.. and fall xP" -juUnior

oops, thanks for correcting me, ya there's been 4 X-men movies and this new one is the 5th.

1st: Magneto uses Rogue to try to Mutate/radiate humanity into mutants

2nd: Wolverine's adamantium origins and his military dog collar, both lead to Striker (wolverine's reunion with his group and him)

3rd: Magneto wages some kind of war (I forgot the details of this plot part of the movie) + leading up to the Phoenix saga (Jean is the Phoenix, an S class mutant)

4th: Wolverine's childhood origins with Sabretooth, some girl dies, and wolverine losses his memories of this whole experience (my memory is a bit hazy again, on this stuff). has a bit of wolverine's first encounter with striker, getting his adamantium body.

5th: (1 hr away from seeing it hehe)

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

well, I saw X-Men...

sadly, I wasn't as impressed with it as you guys/girls, it was only average to me, not great, but not awful either.

(the one black guy in the movie was killed off... hmm... a racist movie indeed... hate the Jews, hate the mutants, hate the black guy, eh?)

Ustegius
June 03, 2011, 06:22 PM
^ Haven't seen the film, but if there is racist(s) in the film (as a character/s) that usually doesn't make the film racist.

goldb
June 03, 2011, 08:11 PM
Well the black girl is the first to betray the group and the black guy is the first mutant to die(?). That don't really mean anything to me and I'm black btw. It doesn't affect my experience of the film unless it is clearly stated that so and so character died because of their race.

Koen
June 04, 2011, 03:36 AM
Well there's many votes to come but on Imdb Users: 8.2/10 (3,592 votes (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1270798/ratings)), it is quite clear how generally people think.

People who don't like this movie can only blame it because it focuses too - to their taste, not according to me - much on story and character development. I prefer this movie with pretty good action sequences more than a transformers which is about screaming, shooting and fighting only

...and I really don't think that there is racism in the movie because one died and the other had chosen the evil side.

goldb
June 04, 2011, 03:52 AM
You know what, I didn't really like January Jones as Emma Frost, sure she was hot and wow :hearts but as a character and actress, she didn't have any prescence on screen and aura. I would've gone for Alice Eve or someone else who isn't established as another particular character like she is(Betty Draper).

HegemonKhan
June 04, 2011, 10:56 PM
err, my "racist" comment was a joke (I wasn't being actually serious about it)... shoulda made that clear, my bad and sorry everyone.

though it does still have the racist elements: Nazi's hating the Jews, Eric/Magneto hating the Nazi's, Humans hating the Mutants, Mutants hating the Humans, Americans hating Russians, Russians hating Americans, etc... hehe :D

---------------

I dislike Xavier even more now, lol. Too "goody two shoes" for me, don't like such characters, so I dislike Xavier even more now...

and I like Magneto/Eric more now, as he saved Xavier, hehe, and his helping Mystique be proud of herself as a mutant, so touching for me, hehe :D

3c
June 05, 2011, 02:54 AM
Well I watched X-men two days ago, and it was fucking epic. In fact I'm going to rewatch the original trilogy today, too bad the CGI quality is poor in the first two compared to this one which had fantastic CGI (submarine being raised from the water? wtfawesome animation!).

I came into the movie without high expectations, it was mostly my friends who wanted to see it while I was kind of indifferent, but boy was I wrong. X-men turned out to be a superb movie, even if prequels get hurt by the knowledge of the eventual, unavoidable conclusion. Magneto must turn evil and Xavier must end up in a wheelchair. Even so the movie stunned me with its epic action, great plot and superb acting.

Action - Not much needs to be said, there was enough and it was all nicely animated. My favorite scene was the raising of the submarine, that was epic animation of the highest level.

Plot - Seriously I never thought the plot would be this good. It was very clever to use the Cuba crisis in the cold war and tailor in the X-men plot into it. Unlike many other superhero plots, this one was actually believeable and thus worked positively instead of negatively.

Acting - Superb, seriously. Xavier and Magneto both had amazing actors, I never would have thought. While many seem to focus on Fassbender's portrayal of Magneto, and while he was amazing too, McAvoy was my favorite with his portrayal of Xavier. I have never been a big Xavier fan, but McAvoy made me love Xavier and his powers. The guy brought so much emotion and played his character so well, that it greatly enhanced the friendship between Erik and Xavier. Look out for McAvoy's upcoming future, he will get many good movies, the same goes for Fassbender. It also has to be said that the soundtracks for the Magneto, First Class and Xavier themes were superb and gave the characters the extra spice.

*Goes to listen to First Class Soundtrack*

HegemonKhan
June 05, 2011, 08:05 AM
I forgot to mention that Magneto/Eric saved all of them, actually.

I actually saw Eric/Magneto as the hero in this movie, and Xavier as disingenuine and hypcritical and nieve character, especially towards Raven/Mystique, prefering the blond form of her, being disgusted by her actual blue mutant body, while touting "mutant pride", which he obviously did not believe in, while Magneto/Eric was the one who actually beleived in it, and Xavier is the least mutant of all of them (merely having a "super brain"/telepathic abilities), and thus not in the same situation as the other mutants, prattling about mutant pride when he has never experienced mutant hatred nor self-mutant hatred, like Beast and Mystique, Xavier is such a fraud and hypocrit, I really despise him more than ever after seeing him in this movie. He lied to Raven/Mystique, he could even respect his "best friend" wishes of not having her mind invaded by him, Xavier is a total phony/fraud/disingenious fake, and so not a hero, nor good guy, he's a total hypocrit and so nieve as well. Pretending to love Raven/Mystique, when he did not at all, he only loved her ability to take the form of a hot blond girl, what a "PIG!" What a fake, what a lying hypocrit !!

Eric/Magneto was the true hero and heroic character in this movie, he was the good guy, saving all of the mutants and even Xavier too. Eric/Magneto has my utmost respect after seeing this movie, what a great guy! Villain ???, PFFFFTT, HELL NO !!! Bad Guy ???, PFFFFT, HELL NO !! Eric/Magneto is trying to save an entire race of people (mutants), to make up for not having been able to save his Jewish race from the Nazi's, of not being able to save his own mother. Well, "look mommy, look at how I saved the mutants from extinction, look at how I stopped a flurry of missiles, I've come such a long way from saving to stop a single bullet from killing you mom, you can now truly be proud of me, I just wish that I could have become a hero and savior when I was a boy, so that you wouldn't have been dead, killing by that monster, scientist-doctor-nazy guy", whatever his name was, lol, I forgot.

Shinsatsu
June 05, 2011, 09:32 AM
I watched "The Priest".
I can't say that it's a good movie. It's obvious that they spent a lot of money on the CGI and 3D effects. But that doesn't mean they made a good movie.
It's hard to discuss the story without spoiling it (not that it's interesting anyway).
The plot was too obvious for my tastes. There were no surprises too...
The only thing I liked about the movie is the world itself. The idea reminded me of "Dance in the Vampire Bund" because it has some similar traits.

The fights were good at some point but they became ridiculous during the last part of the movie (Matrix much?).

Anyway, I was looking forward to this movie because the trailer looked so epic. But I am not satisfied at all with the content.
With that kind of budget and with the general idea, they could've made a great movie, but they went the wrong way at some point.

This is only my personal opinion, so don't be discouraged and go watch the movie yourselves. Maybe you will like it. People's tastes are different.

HegemonKhan
June 05, 2011, 10:25 AM
my thoughts on Priest:

it had potential, but it was just completely disappointing and awful, they didn't put any plot/story into it, the story/plot was too stupid and too simple and wasn't original at all if you get past the too stupid and too simple part of it, if they did give it an excellent story/plot, than as I said, it has potential, but they didn't do that.

Ustegius
June 06, 2011, 06:02 AM
Did it have anything in common with the manhwa it's based on? I read it few years back, and liked it. So I had expectations to the film, but pretty much everything was crushed by the trailer. Didn't look like it followed the manhwa plot at all.

I just keep my finger crossed Akira and Cowboy Bebop films won't suck too badly. And in time when Cameron gets over with Avatar, Battle Angel Alita.

juUnior
June 06, 2011, 08:38 AM
And in time when Cameron gets over with Avatar, Battle Angel Alita.
Wow, you sure like to waaaaait :p

I'm not going on Priest - its not that I didn't like trailer, because I did, its just that I didn't put the film as my "must see in cinema film" thingy. I will watch when it will come out on dvd or sth, though.

baboysai
June 08, 2011, 04:35 AM
Oh I forgot to mention I watched "The Rite" some two weeks ago. Interesting, and educational, if it was really based on a true story. Makes you think twice about some things.

I'm not a devout christian, and probably turned agnostic these past few years. So I watched the movie without any bias or anything like that, and finished watching still feeling the same.

All in all, I'd say "not bad" with a shrug.

hdiuy
June 09, 2011, 12:07 AM
Watched the movie a couple of days ago and I liked it a lot. Initially after watching the trailers I didn’t have much hope. It was until I watched the character trailers(its unlike me to watch any thing other then the usual main-movie trailers) that I thought that this movie was going to be good. I kinda regretted watching the character trailers cause I’m sure the movie experience would be so much better if I went in with low expectations

Story:
I liked the story a lot. The Magneto and Xavier were different from what I have seen before and it’s different for a good cause. I found Magneto more physical compared with his older version (which is a given) and I really liked that; its so much better then Magneto standing around waving his hands around. It’s also refreshing and interesting to see a different Xavier compared to the previous few movies.I find Xavier’s hands on his forehead cooler then any other Xaviers doing it.

While I found the Magneto Xavier relationship refreshing I found the part where Xavier was telling Magneto about finding the “serenity-rage thingy’ weird. It’s like Xavier is the mentor and Magneto is the pupil and I kinda didn’t like that, cause I always thought (and wanted) the both of them to have the same level of relationship.

1 of the things that I enjoyed was seeing the training for the ‘newer’ (havoc,banshee etc) mutants, it was funny at times . I always thought that in combat, experience is useful and I’m glad that the ‘newer’ mutants didn’t just enter the battlefield with no experience at all and starts using their powers like they have had a lot of experience using it.

When Xavier and Magneto first encountered Logan I was surprised they didn’t convince him to join them. BUT I’m so glad that for what-ever reason, they didn’t . I’m sick of Wolverine. Out of the many reasons why I never really liked the previous 4 films, I felt that one of the reasons was Wolverine. The first 3 movies didn’t really felt like X-men, there wasn’t much of a team feeling. It felt like Wolverine movies. I don’t hate Wolverine but he has been the main character for so long that I’m glad he isn’t 1 in this movie.

Action:
I have always mentioned that I found many comic book movies fights lacking dept and much action for 1 on 1 fights. The weird thing is that during the movie, I didn’t really think much about what I mentioned before this sentence. I was totally immense in the action. It’s a truly weird experience because when I was in the cinema I liked the action and fight. But when I was out then did I realized that many of fights weren’t exactly ‘top class’

Though I must say I loved the action involving Azazel. The part where he teleported the CIA people to the sky and dropping them to the ground was totally awesome. I was wanted to watch superhuman/creatures teleport other people into the sky and dropping them onto the ground. It reminds me that I once thought that the trainers in the pokemon anime should do that , should they have a pokemon with teleport.

2 things that I didn’t understand were:
1) Why did Magneto moved together with the submarine which he was trying to control in the early parts of the movie?(the part where the CIA first attacked Shaw & co) I don’t understand which aspect of his abilities allowed such thing to happen

2) How did the bed railings managed to crack Emma’s diamond form in the Russian place? I found this scene one of the weakest in the whole movie , I felt that Emma could have easily killed Xavier and Magneto while they confronted each other.

3) Young Erik could have killed Shaw early on in the movie. (assuming Shaw didn’t have his abilities then)

While many people complained about the continuity I simply did not care. Mainly because the previous movies were ranging from decent to bad. Though I can understand how they feel though. While there are people complaining about redundant characters, I didn’t really complain much on this aspect since I felt that you can’t really focus on that much characters in a 2 hours ++ movie.
Overall this is a good movie and I feel that it’s the best X-Men movie. The story and action were good, though I had a weird experience with the fights I would give this movie a 9/10. First Class set a really high standard for this year's 4 comic book movies.

HegemonKhan
June 17, 2011, 09:20 PM
just got back from seeing green lantern:

Excellent "setting/plot/story introduction build up", but then they decided to end the movie, so it had an uber lame story-plot execution and ending. If this wasn't ended, and spread out over a few movies, it could have had a much better story/plot execution. It had much potential, but they ended it far too quickly, and thus uber poorly.

Shinsatsu
June 17, 2011, 09:26 PM
I watched "Sucker Punch" tonight.
The story was "meh" but the CGI was pure awesomeness !

goldb
June 19, 2011, 02:26 PM
I saw Green Lantern 2 days ago and I have to say it's the worst of all the summer movies I've seen so far. I was so excited and looking forward to it since it was announced but there was nothing to it beyond CGI, Ryan Reynolds wasn't particularly good, in fact I can't recall any characters that stood out by their performances :headscratch

I also saw Bad Teacher, which was the better film and quite funny too.

Xadyu
June 19, 2011, 06:58 PM
The flaw with the Green Lantern flick is the absurd amount of mythology that’s thrown at you. It makes it impossible for someone that doesn’t follow the comics (like me) to either understand and accept or listen to without thinking “what the flying fudgecicles are they talking about?!”
I can’t tell if it was just diabolical storytelling or lashings of fan-service.
I’m inclined to think the former.

The best superhero movies are the ones that cut to the chase and don’t require a narrator to give the background of the universe in the first 2 minutes.

Batman: A boy sees his parents get killed and, once grown, he dresses up all scary-like to fight crime.

Superman: Alien with super-powers that crashes on earth as a child and goes on to defend his adoptive home.

Green Lantern: Millions of years before the Earth was formed, a group of beings called the Guardians of the Universe used the green essence of Willpower to create an intergalactic police force called the Green Lantern Corps. They split the universe into 3,600 sectors, with one green lantern per sector. The strongest of all the Green Lanterns was Abin Sur of Sector 2814, who defeated the ultimate being of fear called Parallax and imprisoned him in the Lost blah blah blah blah going to sleep now.

LESS IS MORE, PEOPLE!!

Also: I’m really getting tired of origin stories. They’re as predictable as f**king Rom-Coms.
I think one of my favorite superhero films is Hancock. It’s a movie devoid of any real charm and is filled with dislikable characters, but it doesn’t use the worn formula of; introduce normal guy, normal guy gets powers, normal guy learns to use his powers by way of an “amusing” training montage, normal guy gets baptized by fire in thwarting the villain, normal guy is now superhero, roll credits just were an interesting story might begin.
Hancock drops you in where all of that crap has already taken place, meaning anything can happen, meaning you remain interested (even though, in Hancock’s case, the concept was a bit wasted).

thornofcarrion
June 20, 2011, 02:44 AM
Sucker punch sucked :-_-. Cool graphics at some parts but the movie made me pushing FF too many times.

Paper
June 20, 2011, 11:33 PM
The Green Lantern movie was "so-so". I set myself up to be disappointed from the get-go, so I wasn't disappointed that much.

The moment they casted Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively, I knew it was going to be a disaster. Reynolds wouldn't be my first choice to be Hal (since he's a whole lot more suited to be Barry Allen...and I don't like it when they give two hero roles to one actor *cough*Evans*cough*), and Blake Lively just can't act.

Oh, and don't bother watching it in 2D, 3D's the way to go for this flick.

Paralax? Really??? Isn't it a bit too early to show Paralax? I was expecting a full on lantern fight, but no...

juUnior
June 21, 2011, 02:07 PM
Its great that I didn't put GL movie on my list 'must-to-see-in-cinema' - seems that whenever I look at, the best positive comment/review was for an 'average' movie in comic book adaptions in general. Yeah, from the moment trailers were upgraded and so on and so forth, I did not put my faith into this movie <though, when it will get on dvd - as fan of comic books - I will watch it, ha :p>

goldb
June 24, 2011, 01:16 PM
FINALLY went to see Kung Fu Panda 2 on Wednesday and it is as good as I thought it'd be; I was NOT disappointed. The characters, the one-liners, animation; top notch. Gary Oldman as Lord Shen is win! and Po is still hilarious. And the wtf moment at the end was awesome! sets up the third movie nicely :thumbs 8.5/10

Organizized
July 12, 2011, 03:52 AM
*aherm*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! (http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=31406)

goldb
July 13, 2011, 08:23 AM
BUT WHY?!!! :wtf

Organizized
July 13, 2011, 08:54 AM
Don't get me wrong... I like Spike Lee. But whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy make another version of Oldboy? Chan-wook Park's version is friggin' amazing, there's close to nothing to improve on when it comes to that story even if Lee makes his own adaptation of the manga. I mean, the korean movie may not be exactly like the manga, but still...

"Don't try to fix what's not broken" may not be the phrase to use, but don't try to add more to what is already amazing either! It's bound to fack up.

baboysai
July 14, 2011, 07:59 AM
I watched Lady of Vengeance not knowing it was part of a trilogy. and God did that movie get imprinted in my brain. Such vivid violence and disturbance and mind fuck.

I dunno what they're gonna do with this Hollywood thing. But it just puts more strength in the conclusion that Hollywood has run out of ideas and all they're doing are remakes and manga adaptations. -_-

in happier news: I'm waiting for this to come out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZxJJnuhCZc

I love Will Ferrel, I love Gael Garcia Bernal, I love Diego Luna (from Y tu Mama Tambien of course)

Naomidee
July 18, 2011, 02:56 PM
Yo, fellow movie-goers.

I just wanted to say that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II was spectacular! It differed from the book, but in good ways (for example. Snape was made out to be slightly more selfless than he was in the novel). Of course, they had messed up several important plot lines from the prior movies, so the had to improvise a bit. They did great though, me thinks!

Anyway, on to why I really posted here.

I just saw HP (for the forth time :rofl) in DBOX. And let me tell you, don't see movies in DBOX. My ticket was $20, and since I also paid for my younger sister, it ended up being a $40 excursion. (Since many of you guys end up taking girls out on dates, it'll end up being this way for you). Anyway, I found that a majority of the movie, my seat wasn't even doing anything. And when it was, it was mostly just vibrating. It's like getting a really crappy but expensive butt massage.

The only way I can see how $20 for a ticket may be justified is perhaps for a horror film...? Because let's face it, if DBOX was unimpressive for a fantasy/epic/adventure/action movie, was is it good for?

Just my thoughts. Don't waste your money.

baboysai
July 19, 2011, 09:45 AM
I just saw XMEN first class. all I can say is meh.

There was no emotional attachment between the screen and the viewer. No pathos or whatever that is. So Charles and Eric became really good friends. why? Why was charles so attached to eric? Because he shared the memories? I get that and all, but they did not show how their friendship developed, for one. So you see a guy's memories and you just become close? I know they were pressed for time maybe, but I wasn't satisfied so what the hell.

Unlike in wolverine for example, we saw how much he loved his wife so that the loss could be felt by the viewer.

xi0
July 19, 2011, 01:34 PM
I just saw XMEN first class. all I can say is meh.

There was no emotional attachment between the screen and the viewer. No pathos or whatever that is. So Charles and Eric became really good friends. why? Why was charles so attached to eric? Because he shared the memories? I get that and all, but they did not show how their friendship developed, for one. So you see a guy's memories and you just become close? I know they were pressed for time maybe, but I wasn't satisfied so what the hell.

Unlike in wolverine for example, we saw how much he loved his wife so that the loss could be felt by the viewer.

I would caution comparing those two movies though...First Class was on a completely higher level than Wolverine. Wolverine was just a mess.

I have to agree though, aside from the friendship thing, I think the movie seemed really rush. Especially expecting all these novice mutants to go to war with that much on the line. The movie really had some highlights though, and I'd at least put on par with X1/X2. I'd love to see a continuation of the rebooted franchise, because Fassbender makes an almost near-perfect Magneto. Ian McKellan played the part well, but he was still too old to play it too convincingly in my opinion.

Schabrak
July 19, 2011, 01:44 PM
Finally seen Transformers 3 - Michael Bay has trully lost it, can Rosie do something else but look shocked or sexy? And close your mouth for a moment please, it's bugging after two hours.

Also seen Narnia - The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Will Poulter played his roles nicely, CGI looked nice, even if it could be better, e.g. Dragon + smoking island. :P

And lastly Bay Rong/Clash, had some awesome fighting scenes, never had thought the big boss was that of a fighter, story was okay, but who watches South-east asia movies for the plot anyway?

baboysai
July 20, 2011, 10:28 AM
I would caution comparing those two movies though...First Class was on a completely higher level than Wolverine. Wolverine was just a mess.

I have to agree though, aside from the friendship thing, I think the movie seemed really rush. Especially expecting all these novice mutants to go to war with that much on the line. The movie really had some highlights though, and I'd at least put on par with X1/X2. I'd love to see a continuation of the rebooted franchise, because Fassbender makes an almost near-perfect Magneto. Ian McKellan played the part well, but he was still too old to play it too convincingly in my opinion.

Ah well I wouldn't know. Since I never read the comic (if ever it's politically correct), vaguely remembered the animated series, and never saw any XMen movies except wolverine and this one. :oh

who am I but a mere girl dissing "action" movies.

xi0
July 20, 2011, 03:36 PM
Ah well I wouldn't know. Since I never read the comic (if ever it's politically correct), vaguely remembered the animated series, and never saw any XMen movies except wolverine and this one. :oh

who am I but a mere girl dissing "action" movies.

Ah, well the first two X-Men movies are really good....the third is a mess. Wolverine is an even bigger mess IMO, so I don't know :sweat

Naomidee
July 20, 2011, 11:19 PM
I didn't like Wolverine at all. Completely agree about it being a total wreck. Ever seen the movie Roadhouse? It sort of reminded me a bit of that. Poinltess explosions and a messy plot. The motives behind the villains almost didn't even exist.

I found that First Class was a wonderful movie. As much as I hate to admit it,

I teared up when Xavier was shot.

Even though it did deviate from the comics a bit, I still give it a great review. I can't wait for it to come out on DVD so that I can watch it again. :amuse

goldb
July 21, 2011, 06:10 AM
I have to agree, I've seen all of the big summer blockbusters so far( except Pirates of the Carribean :-_-) and I have to say First Class is probably second on my list of those I'd see a second time. Kung Fu Panda 2 is first btw...

Naomidee
July 21, 2011, 10:54 PM
Kung Fu Panda 2 was so good! I was completely taken aback. I didn't expect anything out of that movie.
But it would have to be at number three this summer for me, because I did like First Class a little better.

And you all know my number one. I don't even have to say it. It's like loving your family. Just generally understood.

I never saw Pirates 4. I loved the first, the second was pretty good too. So I was watching the third one before going to see the fourth, and I absolutely hated it. I can't believe it was a three hour long movie, and the plot was a mess. The entire thing was just far-fetched to me. Seemed more like fan service than an actual movie. So I didn't see the fourth. XD

thornofcarrion
July 22, 2011, 04:41 AM
For the record, I have watched Kung Fu Panda 1 multiple times and I enjoyed it every time I watched it.

This is what I watched during last few days:

Gnatz movie : Nope, another failure. It didn't have the feel of the story. Plus no nudity :hurr.

Dylan Dog: Only watched it because of Barndon Routh who is >>>>>> xi0 :p. The plot sucked and so was the story.

Tangled : Loved it. Great humor, nice animation, etc.

goldb
July 22, 2011, 05:28 AM
Oohh I loved Tangled, I think I even reviewed it here iirc. My friend kept urging me to watch it but I just thought it'd be another silly movie but it was so good; the comedy was on point, animation was as good as you'd expect and the HORSE!!!! :rofl Fave character!!!

thornofcarrion
July 22, 2011, 05:34 AM
Definitely the horse, just epic. The chameleon was also funny.

baboysai
July 22, 2011, 10:17 AM
What do you guys think of the Amazing Spiderman?

I saw the trailer and I'm not really sold on it... I mean, I loved the Toby Maguire Spiderman= the slightly funny and quite light mood to the movies.. This new spiderman seems too teeny-bopper for me. :/

goldb
July 22, 2011, 10:23 AM
Yeah I'm feeling the same as you Baboy, I saw the trailer last night and I don't really like it. The thing that gets me more than anything else is the fact that they're rebooting a series that's just about 10 years old iirc, which I think is a bit too soon. I don't really have any preference or bias towards Tobey Maguire or against this new guy but I've gotten used to him being Spiderman in my mind and it's soon for Hollywood to be saying "okay, here's a new and improved Spidey for you" I definetely won't pay to go see it...

Ustegius
July 22, 2011, 10:28 AM
I just watched it. Not bad, not too impressive either. Interesting to actually tie Peters parents to the story. The first-person cam looked cool, though almost as if playing a game. Garfield was good in Social Network, so I hope he'll make a good Spidey too. Dissapointed though, that they had to re-boot it. I wanted to see vs. The Lizard.

SDCC is on, so I suspect Avengers trailer published soon. I heard there was already a leaked trailer, but it was fast taken out of Youtube. Dunno if it is true.

thornofcarrion
July 22, 2011, 10:35 AM
Amazing Spiderman looked boring to me. Especially, the new Spiderman...meh. I am totally not motivated to see this movie. Toby was so much better and suited for this role.

xi0
July 22, 2011, 03:38 PM
I'm indifferent to the new Spiderman movie. Stupid to reboot it, and having perspective on it, I think the first two movies were good, and the third was dreadful. I'm a big Spiderman fan, but I had some issues with casting in the first movie. Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane was such an awful casting...meh

Anyway, The Avengers trailer leaked last week, just google it. Might be down on youtube, but there are other places to find it.

Koen
July 22, 2011, 04:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz3j8gKRUTg

Well tintin illiterates won't care but some here will care. Looks very awesome. Very old comic (made during WW II) adaptation and you finally get to know whom Indian Jones is a rip off from

xi0
July 22, 2011, 09:15 PM
Indiana Jones is actually base on matinee serials and pulp magazines (Doc Savage) that Lucas and Spielberg read as a child. As well as a character in a series of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle novels...don't let your fanboy nostalgia get out of hand :super

Well the similarities are there for sure, but I only really know the name and the concept of Tintin, but other than that I'm not terribly familiar with the series. Looks interesting I guess. I usually shy away from animated movies because there's just too damn many of them...sensory overload.

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

http://www.foxsearchlight.com/anotherearth/

Anyone seen this? It looks interesting. I'm always down for some speculative fiction.

HegemonKhan
July 23, 2011, 03:07 AM
Harry Potter (both parts of the finale) and the Avengers were crap, sighs.

(only 1-3 of the first few movies out of the 11 Harry Potter movies were decent for me)

------------------------

I don't understand the Spiderman movie, is it a re-do of Spiderman 1, following the comic more closely or something ???

---------------------

xi0, we share the same like for Spiderman 1+2, and dislike for Spiderman 3, hehe :D

goldb
July 23, 2011, 03:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz3j8gKRUTg

Well tintin illiterates won't care but some here will care. Looks very awesome. Very old comic (made during WW II) adaptation and you finally get to know whom Indian Jones is a rip off from

Thank you Koen-san for your post!! really looking forward to this :zomg

Koen
July 23, 2011, 03:59 AM
Indiana Jones is actually base on matinee serials and pulp magazines (Doc Savage) that Lucas and Spielberg read as a child. As well as a character in a series of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle novels...don't let your fanboy nostalgia get out of hand :super

Well the similarities are there for sure, but I only really know the name and the concept of Tintin, but other than that I'm not terribly familiar with the series. Looks interesting I guess. I usually shy away from animated movies because there's just too damn many of them...sensory overload.

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

http://www.foxsearchlight.com/anotherearth/

Anyone seen this? It looks interesting. I'm always down for some speculative fiction.

Well, you are kinda true but this is different.

Tintin are comics read by young and old together. There's shooting, fighting in it, drug (opium) dealers, etc... even adult people can live in this world. When someone says I am a general comic lover (as I love US, European and Japanese comics) and that guy hasn't read tintin then he is a true failure. It's a milestone in European comic history

xi0
July 23, 2011, 04:29 AM
Well, you are kinda true but this is different.

Tintin are comics read by young and old together. There's shooting, fighting in it, drug (opium) dealers, etc... even adult people can live in this world. When someone says I am a general comic lover (as I love US, European and Japanese comics) and that guy hasn't read tintin then he is a true failure. It's a milestone in European comic history

Yeah. I mean, it's one of those things where I was familiar with it even as a kid I believe, but I don't know, just that it wasn't on a level with other things...popularity-wise. That doesn't mean it's any indictment on Tintin, just that it wasn't really in the forefront here....or maybe I'm just oblivious

The movie does look interesting as hell though.

---------- Post added at 05:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 AM ----------

Harry Potter (both parts of the finale) and the Avengers were crap, sighs.

(only 1-3 of the first few movies out of the 11 Harry Potter movies were decent for me)

------------------------

I don't understand the Spiderman movie, is it a re-do of Spiderman 1, following the comic more closely or something ???

How did you see The Avengers? It isn't out until next May :oh And I think you're exaggerating with the HP movies since I believe there has only been 8.

It doesn't follow the comic any more closely I don't think, but it is, yet again, ANOTHER origin story. These people assume that even a non-comic fan doesn't understand how Peter Parker gets his powers...I don't see the necessity to it. Lizard is a good character, but it's just a concession they made that they couldn't have yet another Green Goblin even if they were having another Peter Parker...at least in my opinion. Fans want to see other villains. It's just like the Superman films...it's either Lex Luthor or Zod. That and I think the concept for a Spiderman 4 with Tobey Maguire included Lizard as well as The Vulture and Black Cat, and they must have liked the concept of Curt Connors and his transformation, so they kept it in the reboot. If they wanted to be canon they'd make Chameleon the villain since he's the first true Super Villain Peter Parker faces. I guess having Gwen Stacy in it instead of Mary Jane Watson makes it more canon though.

baboysai
July 23, 2011, 10:44 AM
saw the Another Earth Trailer, Gary. Looks very interesting indeed! Plus, I believe there's a bit of romance to it...

xi0
July 23, 2011, 03:24 PM
saw the Another Earth Trailer, Gary. Looks very interesting indeed! Plus, I believe there's a bit of romance to it...

Yeah, and a lot of Angst and Tragedy. I'm always down for a good indie flick.

blai
July 23, 2011, 04:37 PM
I'm actually looking forward to "Amazing Spider-Man, the" because I hated Toby Maguire, or rather, the whiny irritating character named Peter Parker. Ok, not completely, I loved the arrogant idiot he became in Spider-Man 3 (for example, the arrogant walk or how he acted in the jazz club, brilliant!) but I think it was way too "lightly portrayed" to be awesome. It's kind of how they've taken this dark road with Batman (and succeeded) so now they want to do it with Spider-Man. I really hope they pull through, judging by the pictures it's going to be pretty sexy.

Then again, I have a fetish for dark stuff. I dislike light, or rather, I dislike the superhero culture we have. The bleedy superheroes who always have a good goal and a woman he loves blabla, to show how much of a human he really is and to show the crowd that superheroes are just like you and me blabla so we can connect more with them blabla.
I want a Jason Statham kind of superhero. Someone who chop heads off the bad guys relentlessly, just because. No honourable or glorified reason, but just because he can. Shouldn't blink, shouldn't be bleedy, he should just be a simple badass motherfucker.

I know it wouldn't make much of a movie as most people is drawn towards the inner turmoil and drama the superheroes goes through in every film, but I just don't buy it.

HegemonKhan
July 23, 2011, 05:37 PM
I saw the captain america movie (last night), whatever it's called... it's already out where I live.

meh, 8 or 11 Harry Potter movies... it's been like 10 years (I think)... maybe this is what I was thinking of, assuming 1 movie per year, when it isn't the case.

------------------------

Blai,

Dark is awesome, hehe. It's much more real, a goody-two-shoes hero where everything just magically works out for the best happily ever after disney like crap, is lame, sappy, corny, and boring, we want a character that struggles on the inside, with good and evil, like real people do, an ambigious character, that you can't understand so easily whether he's more on the side of good or more on the side of evil. We like our "Machaveli Dark/Anti Heroes/Villains", hehe :D

baboysai
July 24, 2011, 08:40 AM
Then again, I have a fetish for dark stuff. I dislike light, or rather, I dislike the superhero culture we have. The bleedy superheroes who always have a good goal and a woman he loves blabla, to show how much of a human he really is and to show the crowd that superheroes are just like you and me blabla so we can connect more with them blabla.
I want a Jason Statham kind of superhero. Someone who chop heads off the bad guys relentlessly, just because. No honourable or glorified reason, but just because he can. Shouldn't blink, shouldn't be bleedy, he should just be a simple badass motherfucker.

I know it wouldn't make much of a movie as most people is drawn towards the inner turmoil and drama the superheroes goes through in every film, but I just don't buy it.

You should like, watch Killbill or something. :oh

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

by the way, I just watched this 1991 movie Thelma and Louise. Wow, I never expected it to be like that. I thought it was just some 90s chick flick but then after watching the movie I was like :vin and when I checked the movie history it had 6 academy nominations, two of which were for best actress, since there were two leading ladies Geena Davis and Susan Surandon. And they only lost because Silence of the Lambs also came out that year, and Jodie Foster got the bag. :/

Schabrak
July 24, 2011, 10:29 AM
Seen Airplane[1980] today, love the idiotic comedy unseen in movies nowadays. So many fantastic scenes implementing every character and playing on stereotypes without becoming annoying. Sadly missed Airplane 2 for the most part, shown just after the first one...

thornofcarrion
July 25, 2011, 01:01 AM
I watched Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957) starring Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas yesterday. I have watched it like 20 years ago. Its one of the most famous movies of its time. Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday, ring any bell? Anyway, I enjoyed the movie. The theme song was really good and with Burt and Kirk, you are in for a ride. It was especially nice to watch a movie with no visual FX and stuff. Next up is Magnificent Seven :maracas.

HegemonKhan
July 25, 2011, 01:06 AM
A really great movie that's not well known:

Stardust (2007)

it's x1000 better than The Princess Bride, Stardust is a great movie for both guys and girls, you'll love it dearly !!!!!!!

thornofcarrion
July 25, 2011, 01:11 AM
It was a nice movie, I agree. A bit of comedy, magic, action, and with good cast in it, its a good watch.

Naomidee
July 25, 2011, 02:50 AM
Have to say, I didn't like Stardust at all. Thought it was pretty boring and cliche.

The Princess Bride is 1000x better as I see it. At least I actually laughed during that film. :p

goldb
July 25, 2011, 04:18 AM
I've not seen the Princess Bride but I've seen Stardust many a time and always loved it. There's a lot of comedy in it and the banter between the brothers is hilarious. Very good cast of characters too.

blai
July 25, 2011, 07:38 AM
You should like, watch Killbill or something. :oh

I saw it and I absolutely loved it. However, we need more of this. :scry

goldb
July 25, 2011, 07:47 AM
Saw the Lovely Bones last night for the first time and I quite liked it. very nice story, not scary enough but had me going a few times. Stanley Tucci played the role of the murderer fantastically, and I really hated it. Though I found the ending to be lacking a bit, but that's just cos I wanted to see a darker ending. I thought Mark Wahlberg's role was good, but I still feel a bit "meh" about him as an actor I dunno why. I loved him in The Other Guys but still meh :s

7/10

Schabrak
July 25, 2011, 08:38 AM
Seen in on release, was quiet suprised as the sneak previews aren't named. Movie wasn't exactly what I expected from the trailer, but good nonetheless. Wahlberg is truly a random factor to a movie, sometimes his performence is brilliant, sometimes it's just crap. Talking trash about adult rated video games only to play the role of Max Payne, playing action heroes over and over. STFU please Marky Mark.

HegemonKhan
July 25, 2011, 09:17 PM
a bold guess:

females love Princess Bride, males love Stardust. Princess Bride is catored to girls and Stardust to guys. Though, of course lots of guys that I know liked Princess Bride... whereas, I thought the same of it as naomidee thinks of Stardust, lol. But I got weird tastes, so I'm not a good source, lol.

I don't know why, but "Stardust just spoke to me of my idea of romance and comedy", whereas Princess Bride just didn't... (at best, in terms of comedy only, the Princess Bride was a "wannabe Monte Python" movie)

xi0
July 26, 2011, 12:00 AM
I haven't seen Stardust. The Princess Bride is really good movie though, and I think it's kind of crude to refer to it as "Monty Python wannabee", because while there is definite campy-ness and humor to it, it's nowhere near the level of absurd humor that Monty Python is famous for.

goldb
July 26, 2011, 07:24 AM
Ohhh tell a lie, I've seen The Princess Bride, I just didn't know it was called that! :sweatdrop But I've never seen Monty Python, though I've heard of it's now infamous humour.

xi0
July 26, 2011, 10:00 PM
Ohhh tell a lie, I've seen The Princess Bride, I just didn't know it was called that! :sweatdrop But I've never seen Monty Python, though I've heard of it's now infamous humour.

Wait...you're in the UK and you've never seen anything Monty Python's done?.....:gwah

HegemonKhan
July 26, 2011, 11:57 PM
And all older Americans know Monty Python... it's a total classic here, except to the new/young generation... they are really missing out... along with GoldB, seriously you must see Monty Python, it's to die of laughter from, it's awesome !!!

Organizized
July 27, 2011, 02:17 AM
Monty Python is The Beatles of comedy. Seriously. Goldb, just drop everything and go watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail. That's a good place to start.

goldb
July 27, 2011, 03:00 AM
Woah surprised that you all know it, well the thing is since I wasn't born here, I only got into the things people my age were watching or the things I knew already. But I had heard of it numerous times, it is always being referenced in many stand up routines and whatnot, so I will watch it today :thumbs, cheers guys!!!!

baboysai
July 27, 2011, 07:59 AM
I saw it and I absolutely loved it. However, we need more of this. :scry

Inglorious Basterds ring a bell? Quentin Tarentino FTW.

a bold guess:

females love Princess Bride, males love Stardust. Princess Bride is catored to girls and Stardust to guys. Though, of course lots of guys that I know liked Princess Bride... whereas, I thought the same of it as naomidee thinks of Stardust, lol. But I got weird tastes, so I'm not a good source, lol.

hmm..

But Stardust is one of my favorite movies, given Stardust is one of my favorite books, and my favorite out of all Neil Gaiman books.. . >.> There you have it.

I've watched Stardust close to five times and I still love it. :wtf

wait, why are we comparing Stardust and Princess Bride anyway? Princess Bride was like, the 80s.

When I watched Princess Bride, I thought it was another one of Mel Brooks' movies like Robin Hood: Men in Tightsthat I absolutely loved as a kid. Well, they were quite similar, and did have the Monty Python feel to it. But in quite a different league I should say.

so I will watch it today :thumbs, cheers guys!!!!

Tell us what you think :cookiehand

goldb
July 27, 2011, 08:22 AM
Will do! :thumbs

blai
July 28, 2011, 03:40 PM
I actually saw Inglorious Basterds. Or well, I saw the first thirty-fourty minutes, but it didn't strike me as a good, enjoyable movie so I stopped. Maybe I wasn't in the mood, maybe I didn't give it a shot, maybe I didn't really "watch it" I don't know.

Don't lynch me please.

Schabrak
July 28, 2011, 04:45 PM
*throwing stones* It certainly depends on which languague you were watching it, not that it is a must have, but worth to see how the last half develops.

Have seen http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTcxMDkxNjI1NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzE5Njc1NA@@._V1._SY317_.jpg. Didn't really know what expect, seemed pretty cheap from the pics, but was a bomb inside. XD The mix of comedy and drama was weird, but worth nonetheless. Nathan Fillion and Ellen Page were nice extras. :D Go and watch it, as you wont see much advertisement anywhere else.

thornofcarrion
July 29, 2011, 01:14 AM
I watched Monsters ("Six years after Earth has suffered an alien invasion a cynical journalist agrees to escort a shaken American tourist through an infected zone in Mexico to the safety of the US border."). I was expecting hideous aliens and senseless gore throughout the movie. BUT...I was wrong. The movie was far better. Rather than what I mentioned, it focused more on the relationship/bond the two developed during their journey. I really liked the pace, it was serene - the feel you get from romantic movies.

blai
July 29, 2011, 01:35 AM
@Schabrak - I saw it in English without subtitles as any sane movie-lover would do. Dubbing is an abomination to the movie industry and rapes the original in so many ways.

I guess I should give it another shot sometime next week or so and watch the _whole_ film. I'll get back to you.

thornofcarrion
July 29, 2011, 01:41 AM
@Blai : You are not the only one, the movie didn't impressed me as much. I was expecting more but in the end, I guess it was good. Well, everyone has own perspective, so :hi5 or something :-_-.

Schabrak
July 29, 2011, 05:24 AM
I prefer original too, but when you've grown up with those voice actor's voices, you might prefer hearing those in the rest of their movies too. Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Al Pacino and all the other old action stars from the 80/90s, I have their voices memorised and prefer to hear them that way. When I buy a DVD/BD I will go through both languages mostly, prefering the original naturally.

Seen Monsters some months back too, was a nice change to Cloverfield & etc, I love it when they can do a movie on a thight budged.

baboysai
July 29, 2011, 07:17 AM
*throwing stones* It certainly depends on which languague you were watching it, not that it is a must have, but worth to see how the last half develops.

I actually saw Inglorious Basterds. Or well, I saw the first thirty-fourty minutes, but it didn't strike me as a good, enjoyable movie so I stopped. Maybe I wasn't in the mood, maybe I didn't give it a shot, maybe I didn't really "watch it" I don't know.

Don't lynch me please.

It has a quirkiness to it, and it does stretch quite long for something you don't know where it's heading. But the end justifies the means, so they say. "That's a bingo!" :p

I watched Fast food Nation again just yesterday. It's a fairly entertaining movie, and showed how everything was connected, and how apathy is all there is to surviving in America :p or so the movie suggests. hihi. You should try watching this movie, even if its just for the star cameos that interest you.

blai
July 29, 2011, 09:39 AM
I also saw a movie a couple of days ago - The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus.

Very, very weird but highly amusing movie. I really, really liked it afterwards when I've processed it all but I must admit that during 70% of the film itself, I just sat and wondered what the f*ck I'm watching. I highly recommend it.

Schabrak
July 29, 2011, 09:59 AM
Lol that's the movie I couldn't watch to the end, just because... I don't know anymore, it was indeed weird hehe, will try again sometime.

goldb
July 29, 2011, 10:34 AM
Heard alot of good things about that movie but it's never registered on my radar so I dunno :s

raDar
July 29, 2011, 08:53 PM
Just saw Captain America yesterday. I quite enjoyed it. The characterization of Steve was really great. The casting is great. I think Chris Evans was a good choice except the fact that he was Torch (Marvel Recycle) which is really not that big of a deal. Could've enjoyed this movie more or less if I read the comics.

Whiskey
July 31, 2011, 03:05 PM
I was able to attend a free screening of the movie Attack the Block the other night. It’s great, and I highly recommend it. It’s basically this years District 9 - y’know, that really good but cheaply made sci-fi film? - expect AtB literally has laugh out loud humor bits. This movie was like a rollercoaster of emotions: joy, paranoia, and all good dramatic things that make me want to add it to my DVD collection (if it's ever released in the States that is). So far it has stellar reviews and a satisfaction rating of ninety-one percent.

Though I will say, the characters all have very thick accents (British gangster gruff, whatever that’s called) so, as an American, I found a few lines in the movie rather difficult to understand. Regardless, I was able to piece together such sentences after a bit of thought.

Ustegius
July 31, 2011, 03:43 PM
So' during a last few days, I've been been watching animations of few recent years I hadn't seen yet, so here is a bit of what I thought;

Ice Age 3: Oh gawd this film was awfull. Stupid, not funny, very predictable, new characters were stereotypes and old ones had lost the little personality they did have. Even the squirrel wasn't funny anymore. The film wasn't even visually impressive.

Toy Story 3: Here we go, don't kill me. It wasn't that good, I expected more. The beginning was bit to the boring side and the plot wasn't too creative. Got better towards the end, and had quite some emotion in a few scenes. In addition to a few nods back to the previous films, the best part of the film was the drama. Quite suprised how deep they could get with the emotional life of a toy. But still it left me bit indifferent. It wasn't a bad film, but despite the fact that I were huge fan of the first two as a kid I still didn't really get into it. I wasn't thrilled or greatly impressed. Though I speculate this has more substance for several views.

UP: Now this left me with a better impression. The montage at the beginning was just heartbreaking. And the whole concept is simply lovely. After that it got bit more light-hearted, but still an adventure to my liking. Dissapointed about the conclusion with the villain, quite unsuprising. Very villainy end. A couple of solutions seemed a little play it save, but overall I enjoyed the film greatly.

How to train your Dragon: Despite built on basic tropes, I really liked this film! Not only because it was about dragons and vikings, though that was a big plus. Toothless was adorable, and I loved how his behaviour was clearly based on that of cats. It got me thrilled, despite the fact that the plot was centered around the very basic conflict between father and son from different mind-sets. That has been done to death. But the little boy within me was thrilled by vikings, drangons, taming dragons, flying fighting, saving the day and making peace between the to factors of the war in the end. It was a great adventure. The first 30mins or so was most to my liking. Aww, I want myown Toothless <3 I don't see much rewatch value though.

HegemonKhan
August 01, 2011, 01:07 AM
I liked Up! and How To Train Your Dragon as well. Up! made me cry... was very emotional... and How To Train Your Dragon brings back the kid in you, is how I guess I'll describe it, lol

-----------------------

If you like How To Train Your Dragon, then you should also see Eragon, as it has the same theme, "taming" a dragon, in it as well. It's fun to compare them, which dragon you liked better, and other stuff, hehe. See if one copied/plagerized from the other, and etc... hehe

thornofcarrion
August 01, 2011, 01:10 AM
I watched Source Code. I wasn't expecting it to be good but I was wrong. It turned out to be a good movie. The plot was complex and something new and the ending was very good.

I too liked How to Train your Dragon.

juUnior
August 02, 2011, 04:14 AM
Regardless Ice Age series/trilogy <xd> - I enjoyed every movie in the series, one more one less but nonetheless I enjoyed all of them <basically in all of them there was some laughing time, in one more, in one less :p> I can't wait for nr 4 <trailer, or was it teaser with squirrel is yet another laughing time, HHAHAHAHAHHA XD> Yeah, for me this series keeps its 'style' over the time so I can't agree with what Ustegius wrote about nr 3:

Oh gawd this film was awfull. Stupid, not funny, very predictable, new characters were stereotypes and old ones had lost the little personality they did have. Even the squirrel wasn't funny anymore. The film wasn't even visually impressive.
Basically I can turn it around and say that I like that those movies are stupid, I do not agree that they are not funny because I laugh at every one of them, they were predictable from the very beginning so I didn't count that as minus when I was laughing xd, and new characters nonetheless were appealing <and funny xD>, while the old ones hadn't lost their 'character' which I loved from the beginning; yes, and even relationship between the characters is still there <3 BUT its my opinion, I respect other opinions and I wrote about all of the movies not the nr3 one, but just wanted to point out my feelings towards the series using an actual post from here :p

btw. frankly speaking I watched all 3 movies of Ice Age this year <it was around march or sth> - I never did watch them before as I was sure that those animatons are crap ^^' Wow, I was so wrong.

goldb
August 02, 2011, 06:46 AM
Finally just saw 13 Assassins and I have to say I really enjoyed it, it takes a while for the pace to pick up but once it does it's just a really good watch. The fight sequences are very fluid and real compared to what you'd get from chinese martial arts films, you even had some comedy in it which I always think is a good thing for dramatic movies such as this cos it serves as an ice/tension breaker. They really need to make more edo period films like this. 8/10

baboysai
August 02, 2011, 09:50 AM
I saw 13 assassins too and I thought- meh.

I also saw Kung Fu Panda 2, and though it brought tears to my eyes, in the end, it was still... meh. ehehehe.

goldb
August 02, 2011, 11:46 AM
13 Assassins, okay I'll let that go but Kung Fu Panda 2? :gwah

Naomidee
August 02, 2011, 11:18 PM
I agree with you on this one, goldb. Kung Fu Panda 2 was delightfully and surprisingly good. One of those rare sequels that surpassed the first in both plot and humor.

How to Train Your Dragon is one of those movies that I will watch over and over again without getting sick of. Those types of films are really hard to come by for me. They're making a sequel to this movie, so it's either sink or swim. I hope they don't soil the first film for me by making a half-assed follow up.

I watched Fantastic Mr. Fox today and it was ehhh. I mean, it was refreshingly weird and I chuckled here and there, but... I dunno. Towards the end of the movie I found myself thinking "so is it over yet?" :/ Not really a must-see.

Organizized
August 02, 2011, 11:28 PM
Fantastic Mr. Fox is fantastic, I've watched it three or four times. It's just so feel-good and quirky with aaaaaaaaawesome stop-motion and a cool soundtrack. I can definitely say I like it better than How To Train Your Dragon, for which I share Ustegius' opinion: it's really good, probably the best Dreamworks film to date, but not something I'm going to rewatch any time soon.

I have yet to see Kung Fu Panda 2, but if it's as good as the first one it seems it's going to be worth watching, at least (although I find the first one a tad overrated).

goldb
August 03, 2011, 04:16 AM
Orgz, you need to watch Kung Fu Panda 2, you will not be disappointed if you liked the first one. Po is even more ridiculous in the sequel. I also rewached How to Train your Dragon last night and I still loved it, one of the best animation films to have come out recently.

I also watched True Grit yesterday; I have to say I grew up in a time where Westerns weren't really as big as they were during the John Wayne, Eastwood Dollars Trilogy period. I hope the Coen bros make more Westerns because of the job they did on this one; you would hardly believe that this movie is a remake, such is the quality of it. Outstanding performances from Jeff Bridges, Haylee Steinfeld and Matt Damon. The on screen chemistry between the 3 of them was really good and the girl was fantastic from beginning to end. 9/10

Now I need to watch Crazy Heart because I hear Jeff Bridges performance in that is better than in True Grit, where I thought him playing a drunk US Marshall was second nature to him.

Schabrak
August 03, 2011, 04:49 AM
What does being a remake have to do with being good or not? Hollywood is doing too many remakes lately though.

13 Assasins was very good, if it just wasn't for those CGI cows.lol

Devil Hunter
August 03, 2011, 04:56 PM
Cowboys & Aliens is awesome. :D

Organizized
August 04, 2011, 03:44 AM
Orgz, you need to watch Kung Fu Panda 2, you will not be disappointed if you liked the first one. Po is even more ridiculous in the sequel. I also rewached How to Train your Dragon last night and I still loved it, one of the best animation films to have come out recently.

I also watched True Grit yesterday; I have to say I grew up in a time where Westerns weren't really as big as they were during the John Wayne, Eastwood Dollars Trilogy period. I hope the Coen bros make more Westerns because of the job they did on this one; you would hardly believe that this movie is a remake, such is the quality of it. Outstanding performances from Jeff Bridges, Haylee Steinfeld and Matt Damon. The on screen chemistry between the 3 of them was really good and the girl was fantastic from beginning to end. 9/10

Now I need to watch Crazy Heart because I hear Jeff Bridges performance in that is better than in True Grit, where I thought him playing a drunk US Marshall was second nature to him.

Well.. Not that Po's Jack Black-y ridiculousness was my favorite part about the first movie... Actually, it was probably one of the things that brought it down to 7/10 from an 8. But still, I'm going to watch it. Logically, the animation quality should be even better (the stunning visuals was one of the best things about the first one), and I hear Gary Oldman is supposed to be brilliant in his voice acting role as the villain (Gary Oldman is the best bad-guy actor ever, so I'm not surprised). Even better than Ian McShane as the villain in the first one, and he was one of the really great things about Kung Fu Panda as well, imo.

It's hard to say which of the two roles Bridges does the best... I'll have to be boring and say he's equally good in both. To me, it seems the Oscar for Crazy Heart was, while well deserved, for his continued great effort throughout his whole career rather than just for that movie. But I'm not complaining; he's one of my favorite actors and should've won three Oscars for The Dude alone. :p

goldb
August 04, 2011, 04:04 AM
Oh don't worry I didn't mention the animation because it's a given, but there's an awesome slow motion scene for you to look forward to :thumbs

I still haven't seen the Big Lebowski :crying I have to get it, it's going on my list.:amuse

So I saw The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and Zodiac last night. The first movie, because the title tells you what already happens, I spend the entirety of trying to guess when Jesse James(Brad Pitt) would be killed by Bob Ford(Casey Affleck) and that just made me find the film tense and was always on edge. The way the relationship between these 2 characters is shown on screen is really something that caught me; a lot of their moments together, especially in the begining were very awkward with silences and forced laughters, but as Ford grew to resent Jesse and his attempt to be famous, it became very tense, especially the moment he dies. I really liked the narration of the movie, very descriptive. Especially the introduction in the begining. Its quite a long film at 2h30mins but I really did enjoy it. 8/10

Zodiac I found to be good too, The story really had a great start but 2hrs+ of it felt really long. Some good character performances by namely Robert Downey Jr, Jake Gyllenhaal and etc but near the end it felt a bit dragged but I realise it's a true story so :s. It was interesting seeing Jake's character's slowly but increasingly become involved and more obssessed with the Zodiac killer and the basement scene really creeped me out!! :gwah anyways I'm giving this a 7/10 because it's a still a really good watch.

xi0
August 04, 2011, 06:58 AM
What does being a remake have to do with being good or not? Hollywood is doing too many remakes lately though.

13 Assasins was very good, if it just wasn't for those CGI cows.lol

True Grit technically isn't a remake, since they're both based on a novel. It's easy to say it has the same title as the classic with John Wayne, but the Coen Brothers' adaptation is more from the viewpoint of Mattie, like the original novel. So I'd venture to say it's a more faithful adaptation of the original source material

@goldb You really need to see The Big Lebowski. Other Coen Brothers films I'd recommend are Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing, Fargo, No Country for Old Men and Burn After Reading. The last two being more recent than the others.

Zodiac is a really underrated film in my opinion. The creepy car scenes with "Hurdy Gurdy Man" playing :iik ...and it's Fincher which is always a plus.

I've been meaning to see The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford for a while now, but it sort of slipped out of my mind since there wasn't much publicity for the film.

Ustegius
August 04, 2011, 07:46 AM
I also think Zodiac is underrated. The athmosphere of the film was brilliantly haunting, and towards in end you could really get the feeling of frustration and obsession. I understand though why many people would desribe the latter half boring, but I found it interesting myself. And pretty realistic.

goldb
August 04, 2011, 08:53 AM
@xi0: Noted, I'll make sure to find those Coen Bros Movies. Same way you need to watch The Assassination of Jesse James. I really loved watching True Grit, reminded me of how amazing an actor Jeff Bridges really is and Matt Damon is not bad in it either.

juUnior
August 05, 2011, 09:22 AM
@goldb You really need to see The Big Lebowski. Other Coen Brothers films I'd recommend are Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing, Fargo, No Country for Old Men and Burn After Reading. The last two being more recent than the others.
hehe, after watching No Country for Old Men I was pumped up by Coen Brothers and decided to watch every movie of which they directed xD Man, not to mention this film is really cool. I also recommend watching their movies, but I recommend starting with his one. And Javier Bardem.. the first time I saw him, haha :p

Ustegius
September 01, 2011, 03:34 PM
So anyone one seen Terrence Malicks much discussed The Tree of Life? Or 2011: The Space Odyssey as I like to call it.

First of of all; beautifull pictures. That cannot be denied. The cell forming and space shots were beautifull. But not really striken by the film as a whole. Sure was thought provoking and some metaphores were pretty ingenious (note; pretty much every scene in the film has some kind of symbolism etc. in to it) but it was most of the time just... dull. Some scenes had nice feeling to them, lot due amazing music. Mostly it just didn't hit me. Tried too hard to be artsy. OR well, I'm not really fond of art films anyways.

But it was an interesting watch. It didn't really have this "wooow, awesome" effect on me, but I can see why it has so much critical appraise. Quite a case as a film.

baboysai
September 02, 2011, 11:18 AM
I saw "Mars needs Moms" by Disney.

Okay, first off, excellent animation. They actually reveal as they roll the credits how they do it, that the actors really act it out in white screen with sensors attached to them so that their facial expressions and entire body movement is captured and it turns out very real.

Somewhat interesting plot- except also somewhat politically controversial. The gist of the story is that Marsians have a more advanced female population than the men, and they separate the sexes from birth, discard the male babies since they cannot be disciplined, and keep the female babies to be part of the elite female nation. They kidnap earthling moms that are good in disciplining children, extract data, and use it to discipline these female babies.

It would turn out that the females are cold and uncaring while the males are in touch with emotions and a happy colorful bunch.

It blows my mind, if I really give it any more thought and not take it at face value instead. It kind of gives me a WTF moment all through out if I think of all the gender issues they inject in the movie. :shakefist

thornofcarrion
September 05, 2011, 11:28 PM
I can't remember how well Thor did in the theaters but I liked the movie. The movie was able to deliver the grandeur and grandness of the characters. Chris Hemsworth looked awesome in the role. My favorite scene was when Thor faced Destroyer on earth. Specifically, when he stood face to face, talking to Loki. Overall, I like the movie.

HegemonKhan
September 06, 2011, 01:06 AM
I really loved watching True Grit, reminded me of how amazing an actor Jeff Bridges really is and Matt Damon is not bad in it either.

I never saw the original, but the girl was the most amazing!!!!, forget Jeff and Matt, pfft

(hated the horse sacrfice though...)

juUnior
September 06, 2011, 06:41 AM
I really loved watching True Grit, reminded me of how amazing an actor Jeff Bridges really is and Matt Damon is not bad in it either.
I never saw the original, but the girl was the most amazing!!!!, forget Jeff and Matt, pfft
Well, in the 'original' movie the girl was also amazing xP

Despite that, I really like how the 2 movies were made. I mean, both are made as adaptation of the book, and why True Grit movie by brothers wasn't commented as remake is the fact that they were doing film based on a book. So strictly speaking it wasn't a remake, haha xD And, frankly speaking, I liked both movies <but I could have different opinion, I firstly watched with John Wayne film, then with Bridges> Both movies are cool imo <3 <though if it wasn't for book.. nah xd>

naruto-niichan
September 12, 2011, 08:41 AM
Watched The Three Musketeers a few days ago. It was very entertaining, lots of formidable action and funny sayings.
I may be a bit biased as I like the setting and especially the three Musketeers but it honestly was one of the best films in 2011, at least from the popular ones.
Only the ending was ridiculous over the top

goldb
September 12, 2011, 03:17 PM
Saw The Borrower Arrietty today; really good and simple story to follow. It's one of the few Ghibli films that I think is obviously made for kids. The soundtrack is beautiful and the story between Arrietty and the boy is really well done. The animation is as smooth flowing as you'd expect it to be and so is the art. 9/10

HegemonKhan
September 13, 2011, 11:55 PM
Watched The Three Musketeers a few days ago. It was very entertaining, lots of formidable action and funny sayings.
I may be a bit biased as I like the setting and especially the three Musketeers but it honestly was one of the best films in 2011, at least from the popular ones.
Only the ending was ridiculous over the top

Lucky... It's not out in the U.S. yet... I sooo wanna see this... it looks awesome (with the "new school" combat choreotography) :D

-------------

have you seen the older 3 Musketeers, the more comedial one, possibly by Disney - but I'm not sure..., somewhere between 1990 and 2000 ???

that was pretty good too... when I was younger... I liked the busty cleavage :D, and there were some funny scenes too in it too.

juUnior
September 14, 2011, 04:33 AM
The Three Musketeers with Micheal York <and Fourth Musketeers> rocks! Its an old movie but I don't know better movie in this department <aside from that the newest ones are just.. just for entertainment than anything else :p> I think even The Return of Musketeers is somewhat cool because the cast returns after some time, haha xD

blai
September 14, 2011, 04:53 AM
Going to watch Niceville (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1454029/)tonight, really excited :blai

Schabrak
September 14, 2011, 08:00 AM
Seen Bronson (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1172570/) yesterday, a bit disturbing, a bit funny and enjoyable overall. :D And seeing Tom Hardy with his british accent as a bald, moustache wearing muscle head was worth it anyway and is a good preperation for the last Batman movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1345836/). hehe Never had thought that he was the bald enemy in Star Trek - Nemesis (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm800364800/nm0362766) too. Can't wait to see Warrior (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1291584/) if it ever get's here.

juUnior
September 14, 2011, 08:40 AM
@Schabrak - thehehehe, the same with me, though I watched Bronson some time ago. Because of this movie, WHEN it was said that Tom Hardy will be Bane in the newest Batman movie, I thought: good choice, hyhy ^^ And nice movie btw. xD

If anyone didn't know: new Pirates of Caribbean, The Fighter, Hanna, Thor are on dvd/bluray now <or at least in Poland :p>

baboysai
September 14, 2011, 08:41 AM
huh, I didn't even know there was a remake of the 3 musketeers. I'm really out of touch. -_-

I'll check the trailers.

the old one was yeah, Disney. I loved it then, when I was a kid. What made it super cool was the ALL FOR LOVE soundtrack.

naruto-niichan
September 15, 2011, 05:30 AM
Lucky... It's not out in the U.S. yet... I sooo wanna see this... it looks awesome (with the "new school" combat choreotography) :D

It actually IS awesome :3c If you liked the old films (and I sure did), you will definitely enjoy the new one too!

baboysai
September 15, 2011, 06:45 AM
hm, when I saw the trailer it felt kinda meh. Like too generic or something? Is it just for the eye candy?

naruto-niichan
September 15, 2011, 07:34 AM
hm, when I saw the trailer it felt kinda meh. Like too generic or something? Is it just for the eye candy?

Mostly eye candy yes, but I think they portrayed the three Musketeers very well too. Don't expect a masterpiece, just a very entertaining (and funny) film

goldb
September 15, 2011, 08:29 AM
I've just now seen the trailer for it but I've been aware of it for the whole summer since the cinema I go to has posters of it high up for everyone to see. I'll definitely check it out when it comes out here in the UK.

Organizized
September 15, 2011, 09:38 AM
In case someone missed it... The Expendables 2 cast list:

Sylvester Stallone
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Bruce Willis
Jean Claude Van Damme
Chuck Norris
Jet Li
Dolph Lundgren
Mickey Rourke
Jason Statham

Plus probably some of the others from the original. But seriously... I have never seen a cast list this sick. And it doesn't stop there; Stallone says he "thinks Nicolas Cage is on" and wants John Travolta as well.

/faint

I mean, The Expendables was no masterpiece, but it wasn't supposed to be. It was supposed to be a mindless action movie reminiscent to those the 80's era. And it did a badassly good job at that, much thanks to the casting only. I don't even mean the acting, just the fact that all those guys were on screen at the same time made me have fangasms all over. And they just doubled the damn thing. All they're missing is Alan Rickman and Gary Oldman as bad guys. But that'd just be ridiculous if they made that happen...

(please make it happen :wtf)

juUnior
September 15, 2011, 10:23 AM
hehe, and only yesterday I was writing about it on pl board xD Of course, like always, there was somebody who was saying "Expandables? It doesn't even have any decent screenwriter!" - of course, this someone understands aciton films from 80's.. the story is just a pretext to boom & action & gags all over the movie <3

About Cage - no hard feelings for his fans, but recently he is playing anywhere, even in crappy movies :p I'm pretty sure that if time allows him, he will play in the movie.

And like always, I will go to cinema to boost the international boxoffice - that way they will do nr3, and maybe finally The Rock and Vin Diesel will be put as well xD Aaaa, and Wesley Snipes, old veteran of action films too <though he's now in prison, right?>. Steven Seagal should also be there, but if I'm not mistaken he and Van Damme doesn't like each other, so one had to go away in The Expendables 2, hehe.

To add to the info: Stallone also said that he and Van Damme will have some nice fighting - this just proves that Van Damme will play some kind of enemy to Stallone's gang. And.. Bruce Willis and Arnold S. seems to have bigger roles than just make tribute by showing off in one little scene to talk <3

goldb
September 15, 2011, 10:36 AM
:yay I had heard rumours a while ago about John Travolta, Van Damme and Chuck Norris. I'm shitting myself in excitement!! :D

I hope there's some sort of Chuck Norris facts jokes put in there somewhere :lmao that'd be funny.

naruto-niichan
September 15, 2011, 12:34 PM
In case someone missed it... The Expendables 2 cast list:

Arnold Schwarzenegger
Bruce Willis

god the only two I thought who were really missing :zomg if Stallone manages to get even more badass actors in I will be stunned. Expendables 2 will be a action feast on the highest level, really looking forward to it

goldb
September 15, 2011, 12:43 PM
Well technically they weren't missing; it's just their roles have been expanded :amuse I'm so looking to Van Damme :wtf this movie is gonna be even louder than the previous one I bet. :thumbs

naruto-niichan
September 15, 2011, 12:54 PM
well the movie is full of classics, I really would love to see a Chuck Norris joke :Imao
it's gonna be louder, faster and harder. Full of top class action :wtf

I never was that big a Stallone fan but he really did something great :zomg

HegemonKhan
September 15, 2011, 04:26 PM
for me... Warrior was decent... nothing super special though....

I just liked Tony being a bad-*** pwning everyone in the fights :D

fans who don't understand combat, get angry at short-quick fights, but if you understand combat, a short quick fight is total pwnage, and is so awesome to watch !!! :D

-------------------

Red was funny, and that Stallone one with Jet Li I think too, whatever it was called,... was this Expandables? I can't remember it's name or when it came out either...sighs.... sometime between 2000 and now... where they had an extremely brief appearance with Arnold with a joke about him being the governor of my state..... (well not anymore now... got Brown now... hehe)

-----------------

I can't wait for the new movie with Jason Staton and Clive Owen and DeNiro... I forgot the movie's title... at the moment...lol

I love the transporter movies (1 and 2 anyways - 3 was crap) which then became The Mechanic and now this movie whatever it's called...

I'm looking forward to this movie as I hope it's like a combination of Transporter (1+2) and Shoot Em Up (soooo awesome movie!), hehe :D

naruto-niichan
September 15, 2011, 04:49 PM
I'm looking forward to this movie as I hope it's like a combination of Transporter (1+2) and Shoot Em Up (soooo awesome movie!), hehe :D

yeah Shoot Em Up was so hilarious, badass action and black humor :amuse

the baby becoming quiet when listening to rock music was just... XD

juUnior
September 15, 2011, 04:57 PM
I never was that big a Stallone fan but he really did something great
I'm Stallone fan, lol :p Even if I wouldn't be, I would still appreciate what he did to action film industry - I just cannot imagine some of the movies without him <yeah, yeah, if there would be another actor I would probably say the same - but still, there wasn't> Such movies as Rambo or Rocky without him? No way. Even if someone says he has no talent to be an actor, he is still a characteristic actor. And plenty more action movies with him. And he had nice idea with The Expandables movie to pack "all" actions stars in one movie and give it a shot <rather then doing another Rambo movie which fans wanted, lol>
Though I'm sad he always received those Golden Raspberry Awards when he shouldn't : / And with The Expandables movie I was rooting for him to not get another because he was nominated for directing, hehe, and he didn't receive, uff xD

Editto:
Shoot Em Up - awesome action movie, carrots rocks :p And funny thing: I didn't hear about this movie when it was in cinemas, like it never existed : O

naruto-niichan
September 15, 2011, 05:04 PM
I'm Stallone fan, lol :p Even if I wouldn't be, I would still appreciate what he did to action film industry - I just cannot imagine some of the movies without him <yeah, yeah, if there would be another actor I would probably say the same - but still, there wasn't> Such movies as Rambo or Rocky without him? No way. Even if someone says he has no talent to be an actor, he is still a characteristic actor. And plenty more action movies with him. And he had nice idea with The Expandables movie to pack "all" actions stars in one movie and give it a shot <rather then doing another Rambo movie which fans wanted, lol>
Though I'm sad he always received those Golden Raspberry Awards when he shouldn't : / And with The Expandables movie I was rooting for him to not get another because he was nominated for directing, hehe, and he didn't receive, uff xD

Editto:
Shoot Em Up - awesome action movie, carrots rocks :p And funny thing: I didn't hear about this movie when it was in cinemas, like it never existed : O

well don't misunderstand me, I think he has done an awesome job in some movies. Rambo and Rocky really are unbelievable without him. Especially Rocky, loved the last film :zomg
he's definitely a striking head and I respect him but there definitely are better actors out there

and lol yeah, loved the carrots XD I was the same, saw it on DVD with a friend but never heard of it before

juUnior
September 15, 2011, 05:13 PM
he's definitely a striking head and I respect him but there definitely are better actors out there
Thats for sure. But he is definitely 'characteristic' actor - he has face which you won't forget xD

and lol yeah, loved the carrots XD I was the same, saw it on DVD with a friend but never heard of it before
The same thing though I was interested in this movie because someone mentioned that Paul Giamatti played magnificent role as a boss gangster <and I couldn't imagined that> and I was also WOW about his performance. After seeing the movie I thought: weird, this movie should be some boxoffice phenomena or sth, yet I didn't heard about such superb movie at all <it just proves that some of the movies are awesome yet they don't sell well in boxoffice or aren't commented or sth : ( > Really good watch to loose your mind from thinking and enjoy the show.. action.

HegemonKhan
September 15, 2011, 10:15 PM
I think Stallone is actually a pretty good actor, for being a "dumb macho man" anyways, certainly better at acting than most other "dumb macho men".... Arnold.... and others....

I mean... Rocky vs (old-arnold) Conan the Barbarian (and the recently new Conan with the new actor used).... Stallone did a really amazing job in Rocky, well done acting, extremely emotional and realistic. imo anyways.

and the last Rocky ("6th"), was perfect.... I cried so much in that with his lost-despair of Adrian, and everything else... really inspiring and emotional, total masterpiece, quite frankly.

---------------------

All mothers need to do is show Shoot Em Up, to get us males to eat our carrots... forget looney tunes and bugs bunny.... Shoot Em Up... is THEE carrot advertisement! If Shoot Em Up, can't entice you start eating your carrots, nothing will!!

and who says.... eating carrots don't give you good eye sight.... just look at Clive's eye sight in Shoot Em Up.... lol :D

---------------------

ya, it's kinda sad, here too where I live, there was zero mentioning of Shoot Em Up...... and it was such an awesome movie... too :D

but, I'm used to it.... some of the best electronic games go unheard of.... as the "crap blockbusters" get all the ignorant attention.... sighs....

and it's the same with movies too... so so so many good movies that go unnoticed by the greater community.

-though, as one of you said, it does have some dark/vulger humor/comedy.... not something to talk about publically.... laughs...

juUnior
September 16, 2011, 02:56 AM
@HegemonKhan, yeah, though I understand ppl who say that he isn't an actor at all.. I mean: about 'playing' etc. Thats why to not get drag into pointless discussion about our likes/dislikes, I always reply that he is a characteristic actor - nobody will disagree with this statement <I always remember when I learnt that there are different types of actors, and one of them is characteristic actor whose overall face/body is somewhat unique or sth, s/he doesn't need to be 'beautiful' or play very well to be.. characteristic/uniqe xd> I'm of course not dwelling whether Stallone is handsome or not, I'm just saying that he has a type of face that its unique if you ask me xP

All mothers need to do is show Shoot Em Up, to get us males to eat our carrots... forget looney tunes and bugs bunny.... Shoot Em Up... is THEE carrot advertisement! If Shoot Em Up, can't entice you start eating your carrots, nothing will!!
hahaha, you bet xDXDXD

ya, it's kinda sad, here too where I live, there was zero mentioning of Shoot Em Up...... and it was such an awesome movie... too
Wow, I thought that it was due to living in Poland that Shoot Em Up didn't made much 'noise' here..

-though, as one of you said, it does have some dark/vulger humor/comedy.... not something to talk about publically.... laughs...
hmm, Shoot Em Up was rated R going by what was shown in the movie - going by date of 2007 when the movie was released I would say that category R wasn't sooo pupular among the older audience.. I mean: look what is happening now to category R, especially comedy with such category: they are major boxoffice hits nowadays <of course they need to be good at least but Shoot Em Up is definitely MORE than that>

naruto-niichan
September 16, 2011, 03:11 AM
Thats for sure. But he is definitely 'characteristic' actor - he has face which you won't forget xD

The same thing though I was interested in this movie because someone mentioned that Paul Giamatti played magnificent role as a boss gangster <and I couldn't imagined that> and I was also WOW about his performance. After seeing the movie I thought: weird, this movie should be some boxoffice phenomena or sth, yet I didn't heard about such superb movie at all <it just proves that some of the movies are awesome yet they don't sell well in boxoffice or aren't commented or sth : ( > Really good watch to loose your mind from thinking and enjoy the show.. action.

I completely agree with you there XD and he isn't as bad a actor as some people make him to be. I thought he really did a great job as Rocky.

yeah I don't understand it too, the film wasn't even in the movies here in germany 0__0
it gained some popularity here thanks to the DVD and everyone who watched it likes the film so I don't really get why he was/is so unheard of.

And I agree, Paul Giamatti did an excellent job

Wow, I thought that it was due to living in Poland that Shoot Em Up didn't made much 'noise' here..

hmm, Shoot Em Up was rated R going by what was shown in the movie - going by date of 2007 when the movie was released I would say that category R wasn't sooo pupular among the older audience.. I mean: look what is happening now to category R, especially comedy with such category: they are major boxoffice hits nowadays <of course they need to be good at least but Shoot Em Up is definitely MORE than that>

Well it wasn't just in Poland, the film seems to be relatively unknown trough Europe, maybe because he got a lot of bad critics (I searched through the web a bit).

juUnior
September 16, 2011, 03:31 AM
Well it wasn't just in Poland, the film seems to be relatively unknown trough Europe, maybe because he got a lot of bad critics (I searched through the web a bit).
Wow, I'm shocked. No matter who would I ask who watched the movie, it was superb for her/him. Those critics probably were looking into some in-depth in this movie with the second meaning : / This film is for entertainemt purpose where you don't think, just enjoy the show, ehh.

Organizized
September 16, 2011, 03:49 AM
I can't wait for the new movie with Jason Staton and Clive Owen and DeNiro... I forgot the movie's title... at the moment...lol

You mean Killer Elite, right? That's on my watchlist as well! Looks like another mindless badass action movie, and I really love those. Now and again those kinds of movies are needed, where there's just explosions and shooting and fighting and one-liners.. Not every movie needs to have a "Oscar for Best Picture"-quality to it to be good. This one seems like one of those "stupid, but good" movies. :tem

Jason Statham is the Bruce Willis of his generation. He's just so friggin' bad-ass.

naruto-niichan
September 16, 2011, 07:48 AM
Wow, I'm shocked. No matter who would I ask who watched the movie, it was superb for her/him. Those critics probably were looking into some in-depth in this movie with the second meaning : / This film is for entertainemt purpose where you don't think, just enjoy the show, ehh.

well yeah that was/is more or less the reason :oh dunno why but some people just expect in-depth movies all the time and just dislike entertainment movies. You need those as well, not everything has to be on a high psychological level

Schabrak
September 16, 2011, 08:37 AM
First trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dpcxVKsx24&feature=player_embedded) for prequel "The Thing" is out. Also for We Bought a Zoo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgnhnwOsNVM&feature=player_embedded) with Matt Damon, Scarlett Johansson and Elle Fanning. In Burning Man (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EMOW1auvZw&feature=player_embedded) six woman try to save the life of a man[Matthew Goode] who's trying to reconnect to his 8-year old son after a personal tragedy. The Awekening (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udzuty4XMt8&feature=player_embedded) is set in England after the first World War and is about a female hoax exposer, who's consulted by a teacher[Dominic West] of a boy’s boarding school to explain the sightings of a ghost. And not to forget 13 with Sam Riley, Jason Statham, 50 Cent, Mickey Rourke, Alexander Skarsgård, Ray Liotta, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Ray Winstone and Michael Shannon! (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810075356/video/26613899) :D

Killer Elite looks awesome, Contagion and The Muppets have to be seen next. :). The Muppets - The Pig With The Froggy Tattoo Teaser Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHqLcEtt368&feature=player_embedded)

Organizized
September 16, 2011, 10:21 AM
And not to forget 13 with Sam Riley, Jason Statham, 50 Cent, Mickey Rourke, Alexander Skarsgård, Ray Liotta, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Ray Winstone and Michael Shannon! (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810075356/video/26613899) :D

I've actually seen the original for 13, named 13 Tzameti. It's the same director/writer, Gela Babluani who decided to make an american remake of his own movie (kinda like the Funny Games-director). The original is actually really good and holy jebus crap have they gotten a cool cast together for the remake! :o It'll be interesting to see how he manages to make the movie in this new style (new language, not black and white, etc) and which one I'm going to prefer watching in the future.

Added to my (rather long) list of movies from 2011 to watch (it came out in Sweden in 2011, so it counts).

The list I have so far is:

Already released
30 Minutes or Less
Cars 2
Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below
Conan O'Brien Can't Stop
Cowboys and Aliens
Hanna
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, part 2
Hobo with a Shotgun
Kokuriku-Zaka Kara
Kung Fu Panda 2
Melancholia
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Super 8
The Way Back

Not yet released
The Dreaming Machine
Killer Elite
The Adventures of Tintin
Drive
The Rum Diary
50/50
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
The Flying Swords of Dragon Gate
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Hugo
The Muppets

Still looking to add more to that list, so please enlighten me if you know of an awesome (or just need-to-watch) movie released this year.

Ustegius
September 16, 2011, 10:56 AM
^ I'd say Tree of Life is a certain must-see. Wheter you gonna hate it or love it, doesn't really matter. It is quite a case as a film, the scape of it massive. Also a pretty certainly serious Oscar contender, in case you wanna be on map about what is hot at that award show.

cracker
September 16, 2011, 04:01 PM
I'm interested in Tree of Life as well Melancholia from the cannes film festival. I'm a huge film buff

HegemonKhan
September 16, 2011, 04:30 PM
well, the most "brainless action flicks" are/were probably Crank and Crank 2: High Voltage (or whatever it called) with Jason Staton in them...

I first learned of Jason Staton from Transporter 2 and then Transporter 1, those were and still are such awesome movies, for me, hehe :D

----------

ya, Killer Elites, I really can't wait for it, seriously Shoot Em Up Clive vs Jason Staton, is just going to be awesome! hehe. Instead of DeNiro... though should have done Cage and/or Travolta..., as they play action bad*** characters well too, hehe :D

-----------

and I've been forgetting to concur that Paul G (whatever his name) did a great job as the villain in Shoot Em Up, he was so hillarious while still being a great villain too :D

I haven't seen or payed to much attention to other movies with him it in, but I'd still say this was one of his best performances in Shoot Em Up as the villain.

naruto-niichan
September 16, 2011, 04:36 PM
I first learned of Jason Staton from Transporter 2 and then Transporter 1, those were and still are such awesome movies, for me, hehe :D

and I've been forgetting to concur that Paul G (whatever his name) did a great job as the villain in Shoot Em Up, he was so hillarious while still being a great villain too :D

I haven't seen or payed to much attention to other movies with him it in, but I'd still say this was one of his best performances in Shoot Em Up as the villain.

well you should at least know about "Saving Private Ryan", he had a role in the film :D
but he's not that famous so I agree, don't remember him playing another important role in a film.

oh and it's Jason Statham Hege :p

HegemonKhan
September 16, 2011, 04:38 PM
I'm not good with names... my apologies!

though I should know his name, as I like him as an action actor so much, hehe.

Jason Statham, Jason Statham, etc... hehe :D

--------------------------

I actually haven't watched Saving Private Ryan in full yet... lol

I'm not that into these type of movies, I don't like political movies nor such historical war movies like this one anyways.

naruto-niichan
September 16, 2011, 04:41 PM
I'm not good with names... my apologies!

--------------------------

I actually haven't watched Saving Private Ryan in full yet... lol

no problem ;)

woot you should definitely do, it's one of the best war movies ever made. You didn't enjoy the movie or what's the reason for you not watching it completely?

HegemonKhan
September 16, 2011, 04:47 PM
I've only seen tiny bits and pieces of it on tv, never got around to seeing it from beginning to end though.

I'm not too intersted in it, though I know it's hailed as being a great movie, meh, maybe I will at some point watch it.

(P.S. in the U.S. Saving Private Ryan was actually barred from being shown on some tv stations many years ago now, it had created quite an angry uproar at the time, hehe. I can't remember now why it was barred... either too graphic or some P.C. censorship gone way too far. it's been too many years for me to remember why some stations had barred it from being aired)

baboysai
September 17, 2011, 12:14 AM
Saving Private Ryan wasn't about political or historical stuff. You could actually leave out the reasons for the war in the first place, or what war it was from. The important thing in the story is that there's a war going on, and these guys have to find Private Ryan and pull him out from the war to send him home.

I'm poor with timelines and world histories myself so my brain can't actually patch these things together. But the movie is about the characters anyway. No background necessary, if that's the reason you're hesitating to watch it.

HegemonKhan
September 17, 2011, 05:40 PM
I believe, there really was a Private Ryan that we went in to save/rescue, so in this sense, it's "historical".

my poltical movie dislike didn't have anything to do with Saving Private Ryan movie, sorry for not clarifying this, it was just a broad comment that I don't like political movies, from both political party sides, didn't see Michael Moore's movies nor Ayn Rand nor Greed nor etc movies.

-----------------------------

Drive movie

it starts off slow with its "slow/restrained interaction/reaction" with the main character to the other characters... the many seconds of staring at their faces and facial expressions, lol. Delayed, short, "choppy" conversations.

this quiet anti-social/introverted main character.... isn't so nice nor peaceful when you get on his bad side... hehe :D

BUT.... this movie is a guy movie, with action, and some good blood/gore... crushed body guts and stuff... so girls (or guys) that don't like this might want to not see this movie... however I heard some girls takig and they liked it... just not the gore and blood in it. so, meh. it's a good movie, but it's also bloody/gorey...

So... I liked the movie, laughs. It was pretty basic, and it's not like this is the only gorey/bloody movie, it wasn't great, but it was a decent movie.

goldb
September 18, 2011, 11:22 AM
Saw The Change Up last night. I had seen the trailer previously so I knew it'd be an okay film to watch on DVD or something but I'm also sceptic watching comedies in cinemas cos I find them a waste of my money but I really liked this one. Yes the plot wasn't exactly original but the comedy and the chemistry between Ryan Reynolds and John Bateman(?) was really good and so the jokes just flew almost naturally. 7/10

juUnior
September 21, 2011, 06:56 PM
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
I'd recommend watching swedish version with Noomi Rapace - she played Lisbeth sooooo freakin' well. Or maybe you watched already :p Recently I watched the whole trilogy - its quite good methinks.

and I've been forgetting to concur that Paul G (whatever his name) did a great job as the villain in Shoot Em Up, he was so hillarious while still being a great villain too
Exactly! xD

goldb
September 22, 2011, 06:13 AM
I'd recommend watching swedish version with Noomi Rapace - she played Lisbeth sooooo freakin' well. Or maybe you watched already :p Recently I watched the whole trilogy - its quite good methinks.

I was looking through my hard drive and I could've SWORN I had it :headscratch. Gotta get it again...

Organizized
September 24, 2011, 04:09 PM
I'd recommend watching swedish version with Noomi Rapace - she played Lisbeth sooooo freakin' well. Or maybe you watched already :p Recently I watched the whole trilogy - its quite good methinks

Yeah, I like the first and third film of that trilogy. Pretty much every Swedish person has seen those movies, so. :p But I'm still interested in the reinterpretation since it has an awesome cast and one of the beat directors of all time, David Fincher. I don't see how it could go wrong. And I'm curious as to how Rooney Mara is going to fare against Rapace's version of Salander.

Not to mention the new one had such an awesome teaser trailer. Just wow! Haven't gotten to see the real trailer released the other day, though.

---------- Post added September 24, 2011 at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was September 22, 2011 at 01:51 PM ----------

What is The Guard about? Neverheard of that one :oh

An Irish black comedy from this year, and also one of this years best movies that I've seen so far. :nod

Sergeant Gerry Boyle is a small-town Irish cop with a confrontational personality, a subversive sense of humor, a dying mother, a fondness for prostitutes, and absolutely no interest whatsoever in the international cocaine-smuggling ring that has brought straight-laced FBI agent Wendell Everett to his door.

The director is the brother of the guy who directed In Bruges (one of my favorite movies) and also stars Brendan Gleeson (who played one of the main roles in In Bruges... and also that guy with the weird eye in the Harry Potter series). I downloaded it because it got a 5 star rating at my go-to magazine for films, Empire, but didn't have too high expectations anyway. So naturally, it was a pleasant surprise.

And yeah, Liam Cunningham is in it. Not that major a role, but he does a good job. David Wilmot (who was rumored to play Davos before Cunningham was announced, btw) is also in it, and Don Cheadle plays the FBI agent. Gleeson and Cheadle's scenes make for some of the best comedy I've seen this year, and the cast overall gives a flawless performance. This is just my kind of movie, and I love it! :tem

juUnior
September 25, 2011, 08:48 AM
Personally I agree with Organizized about The Guard movie - I love it, too! xD And if someone likes Mark Strong, he's also there :p

The director is the brother of the guy who directed In Bruges (one of my favorite movies) and also stars Brendan Gleeson (who played one of the main roles in In Bruges... and also that guy with the weird eye in the Harry Potter series). I downloaded it because it got a 5 star rating at my go-to magazine for films, Empire, but didn't have too high expectations anyway. So naturally, it was a pleasant surprise.

tshhh, call it: "I borrowed it" xP <its more 'legal' to say that, don't you think? haha :p>

Organizized
September 25, 2011, 08:56 AM
Did I say downloaded? I meant I... caught an early screening of it. Yup. At a theatre in a town I was in. I was the only one there. I was so honored.

Great movie, is all I'm trying to say.

juUnior
September 25, 2011, 11:17 AM
xD

btw. I didn't watch In Bruges <I looked and the cast is fantastic> which you recommended, so I'm putting it on my 'must to watch' list of films. Lately it got bigger than ever : O

Aha, Scott Adkins is also in The Expandables cast - he will be the right hand of the main villain, Van Damme <3

HegemonKhan
September 29, 2011, 02:28 AM
Killer Elite = huge disappointment! :(

I had way too high hopes/excitement, as this was far too dull/bland, especially when I was stupidly thinking it would be so awesome, sighs.

Shoot Em Up and Transporter 1+2, as well as many other action flicks too, were far better then Killer Elite.

-----------------------------------------------

I found this to be an extremely awesome Martial Arts movie, that hardly got any notice/publicity (like how Shoot Em Up didn't either), sighs:

The Protector (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427954/)

this is really good IMO, if you're into Martial Arts

It's cool because there's a part of it, where the camera/view is that of a "first person shooter", except it's a "first person melee combat martial arts ' er", hehe

Beware, there's "some" (hehe, a lot actually) jujitsu... tearing/destruction of joints, and of course his Tiger/Flying Knee! :D

Schabrak
September 29, 2011, 07:34 AM
While it wasn't bad, the room full of guys at the end plus the elephant bone sword were awesome, it can't stand to it up to it's predecessor Ong-bak, which was/is widely known.

baboysai
September 30, 2011, 03:52 AM
Oh, I just saw FRIENDS WITH BENEFITS.

Worst flick ever.

I cringed the entire time listening to Justin Timberlake's underdeveloped voice and Mila Kunis' giggles. :barf

I wanted to watch a no-brainer, but it fried my brain instead. ugh.

cracker
September 30, 2011, 12:57 PM
Oh, I just saw FRIENDS WITH BENEFITS.

Worst flick ever.

I cringed the entire time listening to Justin Timberlake's underdeveloped voice and Mila Kunis' giggles. :barf

I wanted to watch a no-brainer, but it fried my brain instead. ugh.

LOL

Watch Tuck and Dale vs Evil for a no brainer and guess what its actually good

Organizized
September 30, 2011, 04:23 PM
Okay, watched some new movies recently.

Source Code - All I knew about this movie was that it was directed by Duncan Jones, the director of Moon, which I absolutely love. This being his second movie, though, I went in with an open mind and well aware that the first one might have been a fluke. However, it turns out this movie is actually really good as well!

The story, while perhaps not 100% original (what is these days?), is well written, intriguing and feels fresh. Duncan Jones' pace of story telling is damn near perfect. While Moon was just the right amount of slow in its build-up, this one throws you right into the story and gets your attention at once but leaves you just as unknowing of what's going on as the main character. Speaking of which, Jake Gyllenhaal reminded me of why I used to like him as an actor. This is his best role and movie since Zodiac.

In short: Action-packed movie, but with a smart and well-crafted plot which had me hooked from start to finished. Simply a great movie. 8/10

--------------

Drive - This movie was nothing like I imagined it. And I can't quite tell you if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I can tell you this: I liked it.

Some people had led me to believe that this was some sort of Tarantino-esque, violent movie. Not the case. This movie isn’t very dialogue-heavy, and it takes its time getting things going. I’m not saying it’s too slow (as many others are); it sets a great atmosphere and gives the later events in the movie much more contrast.

The acting is great. Like I said, there’s not very much dialogue in this movie, but there doesn’t always have to be if the actors do a good enough job to express their emotions anyway. As for the plot, I guess it could have been pulled off a little differently for the better, but for its simplicity the movie does a real good job telling its story and contains some of the best scenes I’ve seen in a while. Like HegemonKhan mentioned above this movie does get violent, which I guess is why people said it was Tarantino-esque. But this movie does not glorify its violence as in QT’s films, and doesn’t overuse it. It simply is there because it’s the natural cause of events of the story. And it does leave an impression on you.

It takes its time to build up the atmosphere, and in the end it pays off. What a good movie should do. 8/10

---------------------

Horrible Bosses - The actors and actresses make this movie. I was sceptical to this one when first watching the trailer because it seemed like on of those ”all of the funny jokes are in the trailer”-type of movies which really turns out quite dull. However, this movie is some of the most fun I’ve seen in a comedy in a while.

The plot is pretty simple and not too original (something the makers are well aware of, referencing movies like it), but the characters are friggin’ hilarious. The dialogue, the interaction between them, it’s all some of the best comedic back-and-forth I’ve seen in a movie in a long time.

Now, I wrote the above right after seeing the movie (just my first thoughts), and I stand by it. However, now some time has passed and I must say, for all its hilarity, it doesn’t exactly leave a lasting impression. The movie is a lot of fun. All the way through, from start to finish. However, when it’s over and you think about it, it’s not a great movie. I’m not saying it’s bad at all; it’s a very funny, well acted comedy, but for the lack of a lasting impression it had on me I’ll have to give it a 7/10.

----------------

Thor - I’ll keep this short since I’m getting tired of writing now. This movie was pretty good. The beginning was cool, the build-up was fine and the comedic scenes made me laugh out loud a few times. However, it doesn’t quite have the climax it was building up to. I’m not saying there was no climax at all, I was just a bit underwhelmed by it. The guy playing Thor (forgot his name) does a great job, as does Idris Elba as the gatekeeper guy. The rest of the cast are okay, although Natalie Portman felt oddly miscast. :s

Anyway, it was still an entertaining movie all the way through. The action scenes and the climax could’ve been more overwhelming but other than that it was good. 7/10

Adorien
October 02, 2011, 04:48 AM
I also watched Drive these days and I liked it. I liked the male character's smile. :p (I'm a girl, what can you expect. :fail) And after the ending scene, everyone was clapping. I dunno if it was because they liked it or not... :oh

The violence scenes were a bit too much for me... I used to be okay with them, but... recently injuries and such in movies seem kinda real to me.

Ustegius
October 02, 2011, 05:44 AM
I also wanna see Drive. But not in theaters here yet. Other upcoming films I am Interested in are Moneyball, 50/50, Lion King 3D and Johnny English 2. Also curious about a norwegian film Headhunters.

HegemonKhan
October 03, 2011, 04:45 AM
my own take about Moneyball:

a "wannabe" documentary doesn't make for a good movie, lol

the movie wasn't really worth it, I could have easily skipped seeing the movie without any regret.

Oh it was kinda cool seeing the manager Billy Bean (Brad Pitt?) going against the establishment and his relationship with the nerdy economists guy, and also his-the manager-billy bean's own sad story, but that's really about it, that which is decent about the movie.

instead, you want to see the much higher quality, and actual documentary of it that was done on/for a tv show.

---------------------------------------

jokingly only:

so girls like violent revengeful/avenging/protecting guys, just not the actual violence involved in getting that violent revenge/avengement/protection by/from the guy?

or

"Smile handsomely, and carry a big violent behavior/rage/anger, but just don't let me actually see it or its results!"

----------------------------------------

it's the same for me though as well in terms of brutality:

real violence, blood, and gore, grosses me out totally!

but if it's starkly fake, I love blood, gore, and violence, lol (go figure!)

for me, I don't think movies will ever find a way to make fake brutality, look like real brutality. You just can't fake real brutality. there's a total difference between the two. For me anyways. Fake brutality will probably always look fake to me, and as fake brutality and as fake-looking brutality, it doesn't bother me.

baboysai
October 04, 2011, 07:03 AM
Hege, if you're talking about fake brutality...

my god this never fails to entertain me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_8FGh2LCas

Schabrak
October 05, 2011, 07:02 AM
There are enough movies with good looking brutal scenes... and enough trash movies to counter those a thousand times.^^ Did anyone see the full version Riki-Oh? So trashy and brutal, it can easily hold up with the american standard from the 80/90s.^^

HegemonKhan
October 06, 2011, 10:59 PM
Cold Steel or whatever it is called, the robot boxing movie, hopefully will be good, it looks pretty cool anyways, lol

also, the Ides of March looks really good too

I'm going to see one of them at midnight tonight, hehe :D

xi0
October 07, 2011, 03:14 PM
There is nothing even remotely interesting looking to me about Real Steel....it looks awful

The Ides of March on the other hand looks like it might be a winner.

Koen
October 07, 2011, 04:22 PM
Especially for goldb and other tintin lovers

http://www.movienewz.nl/artikel_11178_trailer-the-adventures-of-tintin.html

HegemonKhan
October 08, 2011, 02:35 PM
Real Steel, unfortunately it was pretty basic... the robot's boxing was pretty cool however (at least, it's better than Robot Wars on tv, lol). It wasn't an awful movie though, imo anyways.

I've heard Ides of March didn' get that good reviews, but I'm see it tonight, and see how it "Reviews" in the most important way: for me, do I find it good or not, lol.

---------- Post added October 08, 2011 at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was October 07, 2011 at 08:52 PM ----------

Ides of March:

(imo) BORING !!! ughn !!

cracker
October 09, 2011, 05:03 PM
I finally gotten around to watching Tree of Life. A visual spectacle first and foremost...its a feast for the eyes. The non linear narrative is another thing though. This movie isn't for everyone, its definitely strikes me as a polarizing film. Its either you love it or you hate it.

xi0
October 10, 2011, 01:22 AM
Ides of March:

(imo) BORING !!! ughn !!

...okay, did you see Michael Clayton? Did you find that boring?

The question is somewhat random but it'll give insight into whether I might enjoy it or not.

Schabrak
October 10, 2011, 05:59 PM
Another title with a strong female Haywire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNQLrFf5OXA&feature=player_embedded) seems to be promising and also has a load of Hollywood actors to back it up with Michael Fassbender, Ewan McGregor, Channing Tatum, Antonio Banderas, Michael Douglas and Soderbergh as the director. Will try to watch Columbiana next week, even with a couple of bad reviews, I simply don't care anymore. :D

baboysai
October 11, 2011, 01:57 AM
I just saw Bad Teacher starring Cameron Diaz.

Other than Cameron looking really old despite her hot body, I thought the movie was generally entertaining. No moral to the story whatsoever. It was just a pure gags movie, I think. meh. 6/10- for entertainment purposes only- no thinking required.

HegemonKhan
October 11, 2011, 03:16 AM
...okay, did you see Michael Clayton? Did you find that boring?

The question is somewhat random but it'll give insight into whether I might enjoy it or not.

unfortunately, I never saw Michael Clayton.

and I don't know how I could describe/explain why Ides of March was boring to me, without spoiling it, argh.

xi0
October 11, 2011, 03:22 AM
unfortunately, I never saw Michael Clayton.

and I don't know how I could describe/explain why Ides of March was boring to me, without spoiling it, argh.

No I get it...I was just wondering if a somewhat subdued thriller instead of the run of the mill alternative was interesting to you or not. Michael Clayton was one of the best movies I've seen in the last decade, and is one of the those movies I just have to watch when I come across it on TV.

HegemonKhan
October 11, 2011, 03:23 AM
Another title with a strong female Haywire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNQLrFf5OXA&feature=player_embedded) seems to be promising and also has a load of Hollywood actors to back it up with Michael Fassbender, Ewan McGregor, Channing Tatum, Antonio Banderas, Michael Douglas and Soderbergh as the director. Will try to watch Columbiana next week, even with a couple of bad reviews, I simply don't care anymore. :D

if you haven't seen, I'd recommend this old movie:

Domino (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421054/)

or there's always the Tombraider/Lara Croft movies

and there's Salt movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944835/) too :D

---------------------------------------

xiO,

Michael Clayton (lol - just typed Claymore... oopsy, lol) looked and sounded boring to me from its advertizements, which is why I never saw it.

if you haven't seen it already, I'd highly recommend:

Fracture (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0488120/) = EPIC (Fracture was one of my most favorite movies of all time as well as being one of the few of the more "recent" movies which usually turn out to be a total fail/disappointment for me, sighs), the Lincoln Lawyer was such a joke compared to Fracture, hehe :D

and this was also EPIC for me: Law Abiding Citizen (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1197624/) (it's called something slightly different in the USA if I remember correctly, but I don't remmber exactly what it was called, argh).

(Imo, Ides of March is certainly no Fracture, lol)

--------

so maybe these can help you maybe understand my taste in movies better, hehe :D

xi0
October 11, 2011, 03:39 AM
Well, I'd recommend Michael Clayton Hege...it could have won the Oscar for best picture if not for No Country for Old Men(won) or There Will Be Blood.

Schabrak
October 11, 2011, 06:08 AM
Law Abiding Citizen is the us title, while law of vengeance/revenge[trans] was the one for germany. Here are the others^^:

Law Abiding Citizen USA (original title)
Días de ira Argentina / Peru (imdb display title)
Законопослушный гражданин Russia
Adalet pesinde Turkey (Turkish title)
Código de Conduta Brazil
Ctihodný obcan Czech Republic
El vengador Mexico
En laglydig medborgare Finland (Swedish title)
Gesetz der Rache Germany
Giustizia privata Italy
Gradjanin opasnih namjera Croatia
Lainkuuliainen kansalainen Finland
Nådeløs hævn Denmark
Nomotagis politis Greece (transliterated ISO-LATIN-1 title)
Prawo zemsty Poland (imdb display title)
Que justice soit faite France (imdb display title)
Törvénytisztelő polgár Hungary (imdb display title)
Um Cidadão Exemplar Portugal
Un ciudadano ejemplar Spain
Un honnête citoyen Canada (French title)

I tried to watch Michael Clayton twice, but have also fallen asleep twice too. I'm sure it's good, will try to watch it again these days.

juUnior
October 11, 2011, 12:31 PM
nd this was also EPIC for me: Law Abiding Citizen
Yeah, I loved that movie too, was so brilliant and whatnot, and Butler is so freakin' cool <3

I finally saw Green Lantern movie - and I must say it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be from the reviews. In the scale 1 to 10 I would give it 6/10 <even 7/10 maybe> But this film doesn't seem complete to me unless it has sequel <which will have or not because boxoffice was fatal, right?> because the real stuff probably starts, erm, after about 50 minutes of watching? Or maybe they could made this film a little longer. Yeah, it wasn't masterpiece in comic book adaptations department but I still like this movie enough to give it 6/10 ^^ <too bad I know GL enough to know what the scene in the ending means xP>

cracker
October 11, 2011, 02:45 PM
Michael Clayton was almost tailor made for George Clooney's type of acting. It was pretty good, I love the horse scene ( can't say anything else without spoilers). And the final confrontation between Karen and Michael.

+

Just saw Horrible Bosses and I don't know what to say lol It was kinda funny but mostly entertaining. And Dale's character is a complete and utter idiot...nuff said -___-

Schabrak
October 11, 2011, 03:50 PM
You mean his funny scenes or his boss proposal? He's an idiot because he has a moral and loves his wife? Oo
Just got to love Charly Day, his voice was perfect, did watch the german dubbed version afterwards and the movie was just not as good. New season of Sunny in Philadelphia is as funny as ever. :D

cracker
October 11, 2011, 06:26 PM
You mean his funny scenes or his boss proposal? He's an idiot because he has a moral and loves his wife? Oo
Just got to love Charly Day, his voice was perfect, did watch the german dubbed version afterwards and the movie was just not as good. New season of Sunny in Philadelphia is as funny as ever. :D

I would have fucked Aniston, I'm like his friend weak lol Seriously why does love have to be cursed by monogamy? Most men in his situation would have just fucked her and be over with it lol Though to be absolutely honest from a logical point of view it would probably create more problems than it would solve.

On a side note. I recently saw this foreign movie called Spider Forest (South Korean) 2004. It was a pretty interesting psychological thriller but definitely not for everyone. In honour of it and also partly because I'm bored I'm going to make a short list of some of the best mindfuck movies I have seen. They are in no particular order

Fight Club
Mulholland Dr.
Donnie Darko
The Machinist
Oldboy
Jacob's Ladder
Antichrist
The Prestige
Next Door

Schabrak
October 11, 2011, 07:02 PM
It's not bound to monogamy (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421030/), but cheating on your girlfriend/fiancée speaks volumes about how much you can trust that person. People who do deserve some spit in their face and a punch at their sensual places Imo. If there can't be trust, there can't be a community too.

cracker
October 11, 2011, 11:08 PM
You linked me to Big Love page -____-

Hmmm...I could get in this massive debate about this but I won't. I'll say this though...I'm not issuing no retcon, I stand by what I said.

The psychology behind why people cheat/stray or whatever is pretty interesting. And know that everybody is capable of it given the right set of circumstances. Some are more easily swayed then others. I have seen happen many times. For the most resistant its simply a case of mind over matter and also a factor of "is it worth it?."

xi0
October 13, 2011, 03:24 AM
I tried to watch Michael Clayton twice, but have also fallen asleep twice too. I'm sure it's good, will try to watch it again these days.

I know a couple people who've said that, but I just love the way the movie was shot, the soundtrack, everything about it really.

Michael Clayton was almost tailor made for George Clooney's type of acting. It was pretty good, I love the horse scene ( can't say anything else without spoilers). And the final confrontation between Karen and Michael.

You think so? You make it sound like no one else could play that role and I don't know about that. I think he was great in it, but it didn't scream George Clooney to me. Like in the awful Schumacher Batman movies you could just tell he was Clooney and not Bruce Wayne. I'm not saying Clooney is very versatile, but I don't know if I've seen him in a role like Michael Clayton before or after.

juUnior
October 13, 2011, 08:21 AM
@cracker, Nolan has one more movie in this type: Memento methinks. His first movie <short one> Doddlebug is also in the same conception while his first full length movie Following is also from this type of movies you wrote about ^^

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/uploads/4/2/6/4/4264382/8747828_orig.jpg

New shot taken from The Expandables 2 footage place - it seems Arnold and Bruce have really bigger roles this time which is soooo cool <3 More shots here <even Chuck Norris is there :p>:
http://www.expendablespremiere.com/expendables-2.html
Man, I can't wait for this movie.

btw. and if this is true on that page, Rourke is not coming back in sequel it seems.

cracker
October 13, 2011, 10:18 AM
You think so? You make it sound like no one else could play that role and I don't know about that. I think he was great in it, but it didn't scream George Clooney to me. Like in the awful Schumacher Batman movies you could just tell he was Clooney and not Bruce Wayne. I'm not saying Clooney is very versatile, but I don't know if I've seen him in a role like Michael Clayton before or after.

Thats not the impression I was shooting for. I'm not a massive Clooney fan but from my exposure, he fits the archetype of the working man, headstrong, determine etc. Most of what I have seen struck me like that. I love From Dusk Til Dawn, its like the perfect grindhouse vampire movie and by far the ugliest vampires created to date (strangely a plus). Clooney was ok but it never really fitted him in my opinion, this role was much more suited to his acting range.

@cracker, Nolan has one more movie in this type: Memento methinks. His first movie <short one> Doddlebug is also in the same conception while his first full length movie Following is also from this type of movies you wrote about ^^

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/uploads/4/2/6/4/4264382/8747828_orig.jpg

New shot taken from The Expandables 2 footage place - it seems Arnold and Bruce have really bigger roles this time which is soooo cool <3 More shots here <even Chuck Norris is there :p>:
http://www.expendablespremiere.com/expendables-2.html
Man, I can't wait for this movie.

btw. and if this is true on that page, Rourke is not coming back in sequel it seems.

Cool, I shall give it a watch...Nolan is pretty consistent but then again this his is first film.

I'm eagerly awaiting The Dark Knight Rises, along the rest of the world lol

juUnior
October 13, 2011, 11:34 AM
Nolan is pretty consistent but then again this his is first film.
Nolan is consistent if you ask me. Then again: don't judge this film just BECAUSE its his first film - its one of the best he made, the first time I watch it I was speechless what he could do <aside from that I'm Chris Nolan fan so I'm always biased talking about him :p>

Ustegius
October 13, 2011, 12:12 PM
Seriously, even if Memento is Nolans first film, in my opinion it is definetly still his best film. The narrative structure is just genious.

Today I watched at unis film club Kieslowskis classic The Three Colors: Blue. Okay, I wasn't particulary fond of it. There were parts when I were down right bored and some unintendly funny clips. But a few scenes I really felt. And there were interesting and very good looking pictures. And it was at parts a little confusing, and I didn't quite get it. Maybe I weren't in the right mood for an artsy film. But it felt like it really had some built in theme or point. Lot of details, it seemed like a film you'd need to watch again and again and again to catch and understand every little point. It interested me. Not much, but at parts. I think _I'll go to watch the next part of the trilogy in the next club meeting.

juUnior
October 13, 2011, 02:11 PM
@Ustegius, oooo, nice to see someone watching some movie with polish accent in it, and to boost some 'classic' for that matter. Frankly speaking I have the same feeling about the movie <though I always have with such kind of movies xd> Yeah, definitely watch the other 2 if you're a movie fan.

About Memento - no, it was his third movie :p BUT the first one actually made for Hollywood/world wide attention. The real first full length movie by Chris was "Following", and the actual first movie was Doodlebug which was a short movie/clip <and considering that special effects made his friend on some 'normal' computer - well, its a good one> I definitely recommend watching those 2 'first' movies <so much 'first' :p> of Nolan: Following is about 1-hour long, while Doodlebug is 3/5 min. long <can't remember> You will definitely see the style of Chris Nolan in them.

goldb
October 18, 2011, 06:41 AM
After reading this question in a thread somewhere I wanted to find out what you guys thought was the best opening/ title sequence to a film?

Ustegius
October 18, 2011, 07:02 AM
I'be always really liked that of Snatch. While the titles roll, it follows a group a jews thorough security cameras. They talk funny things and go through security and get to a back room of a bank/jewelry company. Take of masks and rob it. Then this rolls in, sort of character guide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAgI51QvWxs

Never seen anything like that before seeing the film, and it impressed me quite profoundly.

Special mention to Monty Python and the Holy Grail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZJC5ORod7I&feature=related

Inkluding majestik Møøse

Also, should mention the James Bond Intros. Personal favorite being the one of the new Casino Royale.

juUnior
October 18, 2011, 12:04 PM
After reading this question in a thread somewhere I wanted to find out what you guys thought was the best opening/ title sequence to a film?
I will answer what first came to my mind after reading that question:
- Heat directed by Michael Mann, and done in the 'same way' I would say:
- The Dark Knight first 5 minutes directed by Christopher Nolan
Just awesome.

But to answer fully I would need to take time to look back at my list of films, and I don't want to :p Rather than that I will just comment on others choices xd

baboysai
October 18, 2011, 12:37 PM
Kill Bill anyone? I thought that had an awesome opening. On the soundtrack alone.

As well as Amistad. Holy Sh*t kinda thing when you start to realize what it actually is that the hands were doing :shakefist

How about Sucker Punch? I loved the *sweet dreams* soundtrack and the surreal animation-like sequence they did in the opening.

goldb
October 18, 2011, 12:59 PM
Off the top of my head, The Lion King because I saw it again on Sunday in cinemas and the sountrack and animation right from the start let's you know this isn't just a cartoon. And the James Bond films, especially Casino Royale have great openings

baboysai
October 18, 2011, 01:38 PM
Lion King owns. lol. I have a copy on my PC and I replay it when I feel like it.

Speaking of cartoons/animated films (excluding Anime): Name your top five?

Mine would be:

1. The Chipmunk adventure (1987)= I really love how this movie was done. As a kid I memorized the lines and the songs, but now as an adult I am still amazed at how great the characterizations are. As well as the humor.
2. The Lion King (1994)
3. Tarzan (Disney- 1999)- awesome soundtrack wins it for me :p

well. I can only think of three at the moment. >.>

juUnior
October 18, 2011, 04:01 PM
I searched for my list on pl board, and here it is what I wrote some years ago <frankly speaking nothing changed one bit though some new animated features I could add like Disney/Pixar doings; still, I'm old school guy who likes 2d cartoons of Disney and I'm a big fan of those <probably most of their animations I ranked AT LEAST 8/10 if it means for their 2d masterpicese, lol, and Pixar alone usually has 8/9 to 10 out of 10 too xd>

1. Disney's "Aladdin" - my all time favourite nr1, this film is magic personificated, magic itself :wtf The music is not of this world - of course I recommend only english version, the characters, sequences, songs, and gags, just masterpiece <3
The rest of the movies, without any particular order:
2. Disney's "The Lion King" - another materpiece from Disney studio. I cried when - without spoilers - 'he' dies : ( The most shocking thing to me is that after those all years, every time I see this movie, the feelings still are the same.. thats what I call masterpiece :wtf
3. Disney's "Beauty and the Beast" - another Disney's masterpiece which I just love no matter how much time passes on :wtf I just love it <3
4. Fox Animation Studios "Anastasia" - the only no-Disney animated feature on which I cried either from being sad or from being happy <and it feels the same each time I see it>. Masterpiece, I don't think.. no, I know they didn't made any better animated movie than this one <and it was their first one to begin with> Highly recommend <3
5. WBNs "Batman: Mask of the Phantasm" - the B:TAS variation of full-length movie - everything which the fan of Batman <and especially Batman: TAS> would like to have in his movie: Kevin Conroy as Batman/B.Wayne, simple origins, NICE <not cliche> love affair like in some drama <because it really feels that way, without spoilers> Mark Hamill as the Joker, epic art and animation of TAS, and epic music from WB animation. Like the rest: one of the best movies in general <3

Here probably would be the rest of Disney movies, Pixar movies, and nowadays some of the works of Dreamworks, 10th Century Fox and other teams if they did a decent work BUT I'm a lazy man and I don't want to write :p Just add:

Shrek & Shrek 2 - for me the best 2 Shrek movies ever, cool idea about the world <really, the idea about this is heck of a doing xP> and whatnot, etc, must see movies <3

Ustegius
October 18, 2011, 05:20 PM
Animations list without Ghibli or Pixar? How? :faint

Does Interstella 555 count? The Daft Punk film. I guess not, as it was made as an anime. What about stop-motion wax animation - in other words Wallace and Gromit? Well, I guess I'll go with just traditionally animated films.

Okay, I have some favorites;

1. Comet in Moominland (1992): Technically anime, because animated in Japan. But I don't fecking care, it was made mostly Nordic distribution in mind anyway. I love the Moomin, have loved since a kid. The film works beautifully, it has drama, adventure and humor suitable for everyone. It has some pretty beautifull pictures too. And I love the original finnish voices and the songs.
2. Aladdin: Yeah, my favorite too. Catchiest songs, funniest characters. Whole bunch of them. Genie, Abu, Flying Carpet, Jago, that tiger, Sultan and even the head guard. Very nostalgic, I really loved the feel of it as kid.
3. Lion King: Also has great songs and great characters. Looks beautifull, great feel to it. And oh the drama.
4. Road to Eldorado: Okay, I'm desparately trying to think non Disney alternatives. I really love most of the older Disney films, but would be pretty boring to just list them. This wasn't so greatly received, but I remember liking it a lot when I went to see it as a 10-year-old. And watched it on TV few times after, and it still ain't that bad. It is funny, it has cool characters and adventure. Songs are not too strong, but not that bad either.
5. Triplets of Belleville: What did I just say about Disney. Well, I enjoyed this weirdly funny french animation. The style and the weird athmosphere. Suprisingly dark at times, which I like. I have yet to see The Illusionist, same directors newest animation. Looking forwards to it.

About the Disney thing; Here are some films that would have made it to the list, if I hadn't tried to be soo alternative. Beauty and the Beast, Hercules, Aristocats, Fantasia.

HegemonKhan
October 18, 2011, 08:25 PM
you guys/girls need to see Land Before Time #1 (the very first-original movie of this series), it's much more dark compared to later animated movies, the parents die, the slow friendship with Sara, the T-Rexes are very scary, and their struggle to survive and reach the green hidden valley or whatever it is called, it still brings me to tears even at my age now.

Also, another really good (very old school) animation movie:

Flight of Dragons (pm me if you're interested in seeing this)

(it has a really cool concept: Magic/fantasy vs Science/reason, hehe. And Gleok is an awesome Dark Evil Dragon, hehe)

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

1. Flight of Dragons
2. Land Before Time #1 (first-original of the series)
3. Aladdin
4. Beauty and the Beast
5. Lion King
6. Tangled

7. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
8. Hunchback of Notre Dame (Disney), but it's more just because of.... Esmeralda, rawr!
9. Happily N'Ever After (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0308353/) (Frieda - Pin Up Girl! - Rawr!!!!)
10. Tim Burton's: the Nightmare Before Christmas (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107688/)
11. Corpse Bride (~sequal to Nightmare Before Christmas), (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0121164/)
12. Shrek 1
13. Caroline (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0327597/)
14. Ariel the Little Mermaid
15. Bambi

Organizized
October 18, 2011, 11:17 PM
Okay, maybe we're not really on the subject anymore, but I feel this does need to be mentioned if we're talking opening sequences. I'm not saying it's the best one or anything, but I remember seeing this and thinking "wow... that's one way of opening a movie I've never seen before". Pretty cool if you ask me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5xgg_WIurw&feature=related

I'm not gonna steer the thread back onto that topic any more than that, though, so here are some of my favorite animated movies (excluding anime).

Some have been mentioned before:

The Lion King
The Triplets of Belleville
Comet in Moominland (though I watched it with Swedish voices unlike Ustegius, but some of the voices are actually even the same voice actors and it's all in "Finlandswedish" which to me is a big part of the show's charm).
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Coraline

Besides those, ones I feel need to mentioned are:

The Iron Giant
The Jungle Book
The Great Mouse Detective
The Fantastic Mr. Fox
Alice in Wonderland
Fantasia

I don't know which order I'd put all these in if I was to make a real top-something-list, and can't be arsed to find out, so I'll just leave it at having mentioned them. :p

Aladdin's not on my list. Sure I liked it, it's a fabulous movie, but it never achieved favorite status for me.

baboysai
October 19, 2011, 01:48 AM
Yeah I thought Aladdin would be my no. 4.

Good job pointing out Land Before Time 1, Hege. That movie is also close to my heart for reasons it made me cry to no end.

I also love An American Tail (1986) because it had so much about hope.

Alice in Wonderland (Disney 1951) would be good too, just because it's creepy. I really liked this more than the 2010 one.

juUnior
October 19, 2011, 04:47 AM
I'm surprised here on MH: when I put Aladdin as my nr1 favourite on pl board it was by many really surprising, and if I say to someone about Aladdin - the same thing happens like what Organizized said:

Aladdin's not on my list. Sure I liked it, it's a fabulous movie, but it never achieved favorite status for me.
Seeing baboisai and Ustegius mentioning it on nr 4 and 2 respectively I'm really surprised <3

you guys/girls need to see Land Before Time #1 (the very first-original movie of this series), it's much more dark compared to later animated movies,
Watched it, awesome <though it doesn't come to my top 5 or 10 xd>

The Iron Giant
Just few days ago I watched it, never seen it and wanted to, and.. well, its well-written and well done movie, I would give it 9 out of 10 and rank as 'favourite'. Without spoilers: Superman motif was just fantastic <3

Ustegius
October 19, 2011, 06:06 AM
AAAH! The land before time!!!! Totally loveded it as a kid, especially the first one. I were one of them kids who could name pretty much every dinosaurus species, and if asked what I wanted to be when I'm big I'd often answer dinosaur professor.... How could I possinly forgot to the mention that film.

I've meant to watch Iron Giant for long while. When it was published, it didn't interest me. Now almost everytime when discussing about great animations, someone mentions it. It ranks pretty well in many lists. Need to see it someday.

@Orgz: Yeah, the Lord of War opening sequence is impressive. I don't remember much else about the film (expect that it left me quite good impression) Very strong start. makes it really clear what the film is about.

Organizized
October 19, 2011, 06:25 AM
The Land Before Time is another one of those movies I adored as a kid and still find really good, yet hasn't stuck around as a favorite in the same sense as, say, The Lion King or The Jungle Book. It's not one of the first movies I watch when I'm in the mood for something nostalgic and animated, but it's definitely a good movie. Same deal as Aladdin.

I'm surprised by what juUnior said about Aladdin though, that he doesn't come across a lot of people who have it as a favorite. Whenever I'm talking to someone about Disney movies, people pretty much scold me when I say it's not in my top 5 favorite Disney films. It's probably in my top 10 if you exclude Pixar, but I don't know...The soundtrack is probably in my top 5 when it comes to Disney, though. Except for "A Whole New World". Sorry, but I just can't stand that song.

cracker
October 19, 2011, 02:59 PM
Anybody here a fan of David Lynch? I'm thinking about watching Twin Peaks (tv series) and Inland Empire...I loved Mulholland Drive

HegemonKhan
October 19, 2011, 09:16 PM
ach... I forgot... yeah...

An American Tail ...is awesome!!!! :D (sadly though, this America/U.S. is long since dead... it was another age.. gone forever)

and I can't believe I forgot these as well:

Secret of the Nimh 1 (this is sooo goooood, it's really really awesome!!!! And, it's quite Dark, woot woot), and here's the link (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084649/)

All Dogs Go to Heaven 1 (In seeing it again at my age now, tt wasn't as good as it was when I was a kid, sighs), and here's the link (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096787/)

-------------------

and this is a really good REALLY-OLDSCHOOL movie:

Annie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083564/)

(It's about a girl in an orphanage, being picked up by "the richest man in the U.S." (ruthlessly achieving wealth at others expense), who has horrible social skills and hates kids, but Annie changes him, it's really quite sweet and well done, and the movie itself is still to this day very enjoyable/entertaining to watch, I just recently re-saw it with my nieces, and I was as glued to the screen as they were, lol. (I had seen it long ago when I was a kid, but I had forgotten it, so it was like I was seeing it for the first time)

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

Well, for me, Aladdin probably wouldn't have been as liked by me, if I hadn't been a kid seeing it in the theatre when it came out, lol (ya, I'm a bit older generation here, lol). It was epic to see it when it first came out back during that time in the threatre as a kid. Much like how I presume it is for those who love the Lion King, who saw it as a kid (those of a younger generation then me, lol), and thus it became their "first" epic Disney movie. Or, the even later movies, like Hercules or whatever, for the even younger generations, lol.

------------------------------

Ustegius,

OMG, I too was such a dinosaur-nerd !!!!

Oh, I can still remember how excited I was when Jurassic Park (1) came out, and it was sooooo epic at the time too !!!!! It was a new Era in monsters/creatures for movies, revolutionary, grins. But, times have changed though.... since then, haha.

I had this really awesome and big/comprehensive Dinosaur book on like every single dinosaur with pictures and text, and I lost it.... I've been missing it ever since.... cries....

Organizized
October 19, 2011, 10:32 PM
and I can't believe I forgot these as well:

Secret of the Nimh 1 (this is sooo goooood, it's really really awesome!!!! And, it's quite Dark, woot woot), and here's the link (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084649/)

All Dogs Go to Heaven 1 (In seeing it again at my age now, tt wasn't as good as it was when I was a kid, sighs), and here's the link (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096787/)

Agreed! All Dogs Go to Heaven was one of those movies me and my sis watched aaaaaaall the time when we were kids, yet that I pretty much didn't remember anything from now that I've grown up. When I saw it about a year ago, I was kinda let down because I remembered having such strong feelings for it as a kid, but it was really average...

But The Secret of NIMH is still friggin' awesome. Can't believe I forgot it either, because it truly is one of the greatest animated movies ever made. It is known.

-------------------

and this is a really good REALLY-OLDSCHOOL movie:

Annie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083564/)

(It's about a girl in an orphanage, being picked up by "the richest man in the U.S." (ruthlessly achieving wealth at others expense), who has horrible social skills and hates kids, but Annie changes him, it's really quite sweet and well done, and the movie itself is still to this day very enjoyable/entertaining to watch, I just recently re-saw it with my nieces, and I was as glued to the screen as they were, lol. (I had seen it long ago when I was a kid, but I had forgotten it, so it was like I was seeing it for the first time)

That's one movie I really don't care about much. The story is a bit too predictable and cheesy in my opinion, and not much really happens at all. I don't know, it's been a while since I've seen this one, but I remember thinking it was pretty damn boring. The music sticks though, I'll give it that. For better or worse. :p

(My girlfriend played in a version of this musical just a few months ago, actually. I thought the same thing as I did about the movie, except that the girl who played Annie was waaaaaaay better than the girl in the movie, which really surprised me. :blink)

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

Well, for me, Aladdin probably wouldn't have been as liked by me, if I hadn't been a kid seeing it in the theatre when it came out, lol (ya, I'm a bit older generation here, lol). It was epic to see it when it first came out back during that time in the threatre as a kid. Much like how I presume it is for those who love the Lion King, who saw it as a kid (those of a younger generation then me, lol), and thus it became their "first" epic Disney movie. Or, the even later movies, like Hercules or whatever, for the even younger generations, lol.

I guess that makes sense, except I'm not really sure I saw The Lion King before I saw Aladdin. And I saw The Jungle Book the first time when I was like 5 (having seen a lot of the other now "classics" before that and it's been my favorite ever since. So it's not really true in all cases that the first one you saw or the one that came out when you were little becomes your favorite. But yeah, I guess it's true in many cases.

HegemonKhan
October 20, 2011, 01:42 AM
I don't mean Aladdin had to be the first one you've seen, but if you were a kid around during that time, it was the "epic" disney movie. At least for me, anyways, but I guess maybe not for everyone.

at the time, I was a little boy, so all the damned singing and kissing/romance parts were lame to me (oh how I hated how all the girlies and mommies singing-loving the song, it was sooo annoying... lol), but I really otherwise liked the movie, it had really epic graphics for it's time, I so loved the cave of wonder, when I was a kid, all the booby-trap stuff, like Indiana Jones and stuff.

juUnior
October 20, 2011, 05:46 AM
@Organizized, where the hell I live? xd But srsly: even at top10 I didn't even once spot someone mentioning Aladdin here in pl around friends of mine <though the list went with Pixar movies, as well as Dreamworks movies like Shrek and others and seems more ppl here is 'with' those kinds of movies: that they can laugh mostly, probably drinking bear or sth while watching, you know the drill xd>
About the soundtrack: agreed, though I think I rank it even higher. And "A whole new world" I can stand because I really like it - soooo romantic and cliche and whatever :p:p:p Though, of course, its not my favourite one.

Anybody here a fan of David Lynch? I'm thinking about watching Twin Peaks (tv series)
Just a precaution: 1 season owns! The 2nd: don't expect too much. I'm not too much into D.Lynch but I watched that series.

Well, for me, Aladdin probably wouldn't have been as liked by me, if I hadn't been a kid seeing it in the theatre when it came out, lol (ya, I'm a bit older generation here, lol). It was epic to see it when it first came out back during that time in the threatre as a kid.
Well, I don't even remember if that movie was released at that time in cinemas in Poland - and even if it was, I lived in the dump shit village as a little kid so no-no for cinema at that time. I only remember The Lion King in cinemas. For the first time I watched Aladdin - of course - when I was a kid, at my cousin house in Canada. I didn't know english at that time and I still loved it :p After that I saw The Lion King in cinema in Poland for the first time. But still: if I would see them in different way, I would still love Aladdin - for me it makes no difference which movie I watched first/second/etc. to be ranked; although I can have a strong sentimens for the 'first' ones, definitely, but who doesn't? xP

Organizized
October 20, 2011, 05:59 AM
I have yet to watch a David Lynch movie I didn't at least find enjoyable and/or interesting. Some are friggin' masterpieces, some are just weird enough that you have to love them, others are just plain weird but worth watching thanks to that. Granted, he hasn't made anything since Twin Peaks that tops it, but his movies are still great. Best one being Mulholland Drive, IMO. I recommend watching Mulholland Drive, The Elephant Man, Eraserhead and perhaps also Lost Highway if you want to really experience some of the most Lynch-y movies and also get a few different "styles" of his.

What juUnior said about Twin Peaks is true, though. Season 1 is some of the best TV ever made. Season 2 was kinda disappointing after the standard set by the first season..

Ustegius
October 20, 2011, 06:24 AM
I haven't watched a singly thing by Lynch. Hole in my film knowledge.

Yeah, I remember being so psyched by Jurassic Park 1. Or not really, I were so young though then, that I got to see it only many years later. It was Jurassic Park 2 which really made me nuts. Even if I were already past my biggest dino boom.

Talking about it, what is the first film you saw in theaters? Mine was Toy Story in a very small no longer existing theater. Man it was a big experience for a small boy. I were totally all over Toy Story after it. Not only was the franchise perfect for toys and merchandise, but the whole 3D graphic thing was so wooooooow.

HegemonKhan
October 20, 2011, 01:21 PM
first film I saw in theatres... that was a long long long time ago... I have NO way of knowing... lol

hmm... I can't even remember, what's the earliest movie-theatre film that I seen... lol...

(damn this is annoying... as I personally would like to know, what I saw first or what I remember of being my earliest... argh!!!)

I saw Little mermaid in theatres... Home Alone... hmm.. anything earlier.... that I remember... hmm... I'd have to do some research... lol... as my memory is no good off the top of my head, lol.

I can't remember seeing Bambi in the theatres... or if I saw it on tv... and when it came out... or re-came out (as I think the very original Bambi was like 1950 or so - I'm not that old... lol) hmm... argh...

other old movies...

Flight of the Navigator
Annie
The Never Ending Story
TNMT 1

hmm... dammit... I cna't remember what was the first movie I seen... lollolo

---------------------------------

oooooo, I just remembered another awesome movie:

Puff the Magic Dragon (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0262711/)

Watch the movie: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3476801002597020377#

baboysai
October 20, 2011, 02:35 PM
watever i lioved sectet of the nuphym. iwhat ever.

Rescuiers! how about that- the "be breave littele oone..." soundtrack,..

cracker
October 20, 2011, 07:20 PM
I have Inland Empire to watch lol its 3 hours long....better get settled in

baboysai
October 20, 2011, 11:12 PM
Aw gee. The Never Ending Story...

all those witches "Nothingness, Emptiness, etc. etc...

And why isn't anybody convinced about "The chipmunk adventure (1987)" ? lol. I really loved it, and I always have it on my PC so that whenever I'm in the mood for some nostalgia it's either I watch that film or Princess Mononoke (Ghibli).

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

There's something about Titanic, though- there's a certain replayability to it. It has enough humor and bittersweet stuff and just the right family entertainment factor in it.