PDA

View Full Version : Question If Luffy will use weapon in future... What it will be???

vagabond87
February 11, 2010, 07:05 AM
Hi everybody :)
When I was reading Impel Down Arc and saw Magellans ability i tought that if Luffy had something on his hands protecting him from standard Magellans poison he will have chance of winning(of course it was before i saw Kinjite;) and now I think how he can touch Admiral(Akainu anyone?) without taking damage.. And I think he need weapon to do so and in my opinion best weapon for Luffy will be some fighting gloves or something like that made out of same material as Whitebeards bisento.
So what do you think people???:darn

MidnightAngel
February 11, 2010, 08:24 AM
id say knuckle's or something like that, he's not the type to use swords or other sort of weapon that needs mastery to be efficient.

LeKuaSimi
February 11, 2010, 08:52 AM
I do remember once seeing Luffy using his slippers as gloves...Not sure whether that is in a filler or not though.

cippy
February 11, 2010, 09:41 AM
I'd say a..... nunchaku :D

Spaceman-Spiff
February 12, 2010, 02:24 PM
He'll use Mr. 3

Kididing aside, I think Luffy will just use whatever he can use at the time. He's not the type who will carry a certain weapon all the time.

But, don't you think Luffy and Mr. 3 make a good combo? Mr. 3 can create any shape of armor/weapon for him, albeit as fragile as wax.

Black Mirror
February 12, 2010, 03:01 PM
if he gets a weapon , it will be something that does not kill humans^^

well a pistol would suit him perfectly. (yeah this normally kills people but if you think about usopp using his kabuto that is supposed to be better than any pistol and is never killing anyone....^^) a bazooka would be good as well but i think in future luffy will just have to concentrate his haki on his finger and beat all people like bellamy up^^

givensp
February 13, 2010, 01:32 AM
since i dont think that luffy would use a weapon with a blade like sword or spear and since almost all of his attacks r punches or kicks of some kind, I would want him to use some kind of metal gloves but not gauntlets like nami used on sky iland

OunknownO
February 13, 2010, 04:05 AM
I don't think so but if we does it will be this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qiang_%28spear%29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MllkniRimY

Oblivion
February 13, 2010, 08:39 AM
his strawhat with blade edges!!!

bittman
February 13, 2010, 11:06 PM
A magical rainbow unicorn horn to increase the power of his headbutts.

Or maybe some floaties (http://www.floaties.com.au/)

DARK
February 13, 2010, 11:13 PM
I find the notion of Luffy using an actual weapon inconceivable. I don't think Oda was planning to give Luffy any physical weapon. Why else would he have Luffy name his attacks based on weapons?

OunknownO
February 14, 2010, 04:22 AM
his strawhat with blade edges!!!

like kung lao?

Zeltrax
February 14, 2010, 04:35 AM
A car.
so he can use his gears on it

Bugzee
February 14, 2010, 05:47 AM
We have some great ideas so far! :amuse

Atm.. it's hard to imagine Luffy always carrying a weapon with him like Zoro or even WB for that matter. But, I would like to see Luffy use a unique weapon in the future! The weapon has to compliment his df ability.

@ cippy - Nice idea! LOL Imagine how it would look like if Luffy used a nunchaku with gomu gomu gatling. xD

Personally, I think it would be awesome if one of the SH's (be it Luffy or not & excluding Zoro!) used a df weapon. ;)

DeeDotRagon
September 16, 2010, 01:16 PM
Hi there guys, long time lurker, first time poster!

As Luffy gains more control over his Haki he'll hopefully be able to cause damage to Logia's. However he is still going to need something other than his fist to use on people such as Akainu or Magellen. He would be damaged as well if he started pounding on them even with Haki.

Now i can't see Luffy becoming proficient with a sword and also it would kind of clash with Zoro. He also isn't likely to become good with a weapon in a short period of time, so we may see him training with one at some point. Therefore do you think Luffy needs a weapon, and If so what could it be? I was thinking some sort of fist weapon, but how would it adapt when he used gear 3 etc.

A weapon or something to protect oneself certainly seems to be necessary when fighting someone like Akainu, Aokiji or Magellen.

I think that a weapon would certainly detract from Luffy's fruit abilities and general fighting style. However almost everyone in the New World has a weapon of some sort, perhaps for the very reason of dealing with pesky logias.

P.S I know there is a discussion as to whether Magellen is a logia or paramecia, but for all intents and purposes he is useful in this discussion

Junaid_Sennin
September 17, 2010, 11:12 AM
I agree with most of what you're saying, I've actually had this same idea in my head since I first felt that Luffy was going to have to become stronger, round about the time Luffy arrived in Amazon Lily.

I've thought of all kinds of possible weapons, and if it were up to me, I'd equip Luffy with a sabre and guns (maybe a rifle and two pistols, I dunno, even just one gun), since as you've already mentioned, this is what pretty much all New World pirates carry. Also, I don't think a staff or nunchaku are a bad idea. He's already used a staff as a kid, and nunchaku kinda suit him, at least in my mental picture they do.

As for the sabre and guns, he doesn't have to be a swordsman on Zoro's level or a marksman of Ussopp's caliber (pardon the poorly veiled pun), he just has to be competent enough in each, and incorporate his busoushoku haki into his weapons to augment their efficacy.

After all, we don't want to completely change Luffy's fighting style, just improve it. At the end of the day, when being pushed to the limit, we still wanna see those Gomu-Gomu attacks, am I right?

DeeDotRagon
September 17, 2010, 11:54 AM
Excellent reply! I see we're thinking along the same lines. You're right he doesn't have to be as good as zoro with a sword, he just has to see his attacks connect!

Garp doens't seem to have a weapon though, and he's called 'Garp the fist' so maybe he doesnt need one at all. Though maybe he'd consider using something to protect him if he needed it.

I think you're idea of a staff type weapon would be ideal for Luffy.

Razh
September 17, 2010, 12:08 PM
I don't think some weapon as an utility would somehow ruin Luffy and his fighting style. Even Roger was holding sword and a gun and he doesn't seem to have been a swordsman. Ace also had that dagger of his.

And of course, Luffy is being trained by a swordsman. It would only be natural for Rayleigh to teach Luffy how to counter sword users.

MaiSiaoSiao
September 17, 2010, 08:05 PM
Nah i dont think Luffy will need a weapon.He'll just make something up when the time comes.Like in Impel down.Champion Rifle(with mr.3 wax) Lol

damane08
September 17, 2010, 10:50 PM
I personally don't think that Luffy needs any kind of weapons... ever.

The way that Luffy fights demands that he has the use of both hands, giving him any kind of weapon will not improve his fighting style.... it'll completely change it.
He most certainly doesn't need a weapon to deal with logias, he needs to learn how to control COA haki.
Instead of training with a weapon I'm thinking that he should probably spend all that time strengthening his COA haki... it seems more important to me.
Marco and Joz are two guys who did extremely well against the admirals and they didn't use weapons and we can't forget Garp, who is living proof that you don't need any kind of weapon to go against logias.... you need really strong COA haki.

Fox666
September 18, 2010, 01:50 AM
I don't think Luffy will use a weapon like a sword, bat, or anything on that line. Doesn't match him.

Looking on how Gear 2 works, and all these attacks names after guns, his attacks would all be related to fire arms.

Looking at Haki, I bet he would develop something more like this:

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/2354/yusukespiritgun.jpg
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/1803/seiya1y.jpg
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/9687/1260742970586f.jpg

caleshious
September 18, 2010, 10:58 AM
Some kind of knuckle dusters would suit him quite well.

hy4k
September 18, 2010, 06:27 PM
So far a lot of the most powerful people in the one piece world have a weapon, shanks and whitebeard being the most noticeable examples.

but what do you think of luffy getting a weapon?

I think it would be a great idea assuming it's fairly unique. rayleigh made a point of haki being transferrable to weapons and it would allow luffy to make contact with and defend against people like akainu and magellan.

The Don Master T
September 18, 2010, 09:07 PM
a long staff giant hammer

Anti-panda
September 18, 2010, 10:37 PM
I'm going to say this as simply and eloquently as i possibly can...
NO.

Luffy doesn't need weapons ... he has never once hinted that he wants weapons .. or has any interest in learning to use them ... the only time he has .. was a bluff against arlong so he could punch him

<-- isn't counting mizu luffy as a weapon ..

But you know what ... I like the idea that he's moving forward soley on his own strength ... "With this fist .. i shall make my place in the new world .. "
Kinda attitude .

StrangePath
September 18, 2010, 11:00 PM
and he was using a sword when he was Nightmare Luffy

TheMoa
September 18, 2010, 11:32 PM
Some kind of knuckle dusters would suit him quite well.

I never tought about it and i don't expect it, but that would really be cool. Don't change his fighting style at all. He could put some gloves and have the knucle dusters embebed with seastone. /havingaacidtrip
I know this is is far fetched and i really don't expect Luffy to have weapons but this would be fine by me.

natli
September 19, 2010, 03:15 AM
Luffy already has a weapon - all masts belong to him :D "gomu gomu no IKEBANA!"

@tret16
That's the same thread...

cua_raitei
September 19, 2010, 06:43 AM
IMO he could using some weapons if necessary,
but his main fighting style is using his own hands

hy4k
September 19, 2010, 09:10 AM
knuckle dusters would be good but it wouldn't negate the risk from people like akainu or magellan

he'd need something he could use from a distance, like a bo staff or a bisento

caleshious
September 19, 2010, 10:01 AM
If they were say encrusted with sea stone they might go alrite.

BlackSword
September 20, 2010, 03:52 AM
- All the Top fighters seem to have a weapon of swords with the exception of a few people. But Shanks/Whitebeard/ GoldRoger & Even Ace all used a weapon of some sort. I'm thinking perhaps Luffy will learn a weapon of some kind but his Rubber/Gomu Gomu attacks are liquid in nature that have no set pattern or form which would make adapting to a weapon almost impossible. Did Oda set up his power to make him unable to use a weapon? Or will his Gomu Gomu attacks coupled with Color of Armament be suffient to crush any weapon users he shall come across?

elitefox
September 20, 2010, 04:16 AM
- All the Top fighters seem to have a weapon of swords with the exception of a few people. But Shanks/Whitebeard/ GoldRoger & Even Ace all used a weapon of some sort. I'm thinking perhaps Luffy will learn a weapon of some kind but his Rubber/Gomu Gomu attacks are liquid in nature that have no set pattern or form which would make adapting to a weapon almost impossible. Did Oda set up his power to make him unable to use a weapon? Or will his Gomu Gomu attacks coupled with Color of Armament be suffient to crush any weapon users he shall come across?

Luffy does favor blunt attacks so I can't imagine him imagining a sword

Most likely Luffy can now punch with a sword and reduce it to bruise than wound. Like magma boy punching shanks but not of that effect :D

I wonder why magma boy stopped back then? and not attack shanks at least once, is shanks more powerful than wB or just more intimidating?

BlackSword
September 20, 2010, 04:29 AM
Someone suggested that he could use WBs halberd but I don't think he would use WBs cause its marking his grave. But I think he is going to need a weapon vs BB and other Haki users that can drain/negate his stretching. Perhaps a Spear/Naganata?

k0dach1
September 20, 2010, 04:32 AM
Someone suggested that he could use WBs halberd but I don't think he would use WBs cause its marking his grave. But I think he is going to need a weapon vs BB and other Haki users that can drain/negate his stretching. Perhaps a Spear/Naganata?

This was taken up already a while back. I don't see Luffy carrying around a sharp object, mainly because he doesn't really like fighting, more especially killing. He just often gets dragged into fights. So I'd prefer to see him wield blunt objects such as hammers, or my suggestion, 2 bucklers which acts as added defense and offense for Luffy.

kidopitz27
September 20, 2010, 05:58 AM
sword for luffy? not possible because zoro is their swordsman maybe a metal knuckle will be good for luffy or even luffy befriended a monster that turns into a weapon 2 years is long so it maybe posibble

Jadedmariner
September 20, 2010, 06:12 AM
sword for luffy? not possible because zoro is their swordsman maybe a metal knuckle will be good for luffy or even luffy befriended a monster that turns into a weapon 2 years is long so it maybe posibble

Yeah something along the lines of metal knuckles is best. I could also see him use a staff just because he could turn it into a propeller which would be pretty comical.

kidopitz27
September 20, 2010, 06:24 AM
Yeah something along the lines of metal knuckles is best. I could also see him use a staff just because he could turn it into a propeller which would be pretty comical.

i think your'e implying goku with his magic staff :) but is it possible Oda like the works of akira toriyama so maybe it's possible :)

DEATHBOTT
September 20, 2010, 06:24 AM
asuma's knuckle blades from naruto would be baddass. also i know oda ignores clothing alot but if luffy had knuckle dusters and he went gear 3 wouldn't they break from the expansion? maybe he should just get another pipe like when he was a kid :P

Freid
September 20, 2010, 06:25 AM
Yh zoro is their swordsman. So??. its not like being a swordsman is like being the navigator or doctor on their ship where luffy only needs one. Zoros fighting style is using a sword. Its not a job. My point is luffy could learn how to use a sword just to fight againt swords. And it is not farfetched to think Luffy could develop another fighting style which would be less dominant simply to enable him to fight against swords. like Whitebeard for example. He would probably get outdone by the top swordsmen anyday but he still has his halberd which he can still use. He has two fighting styles but using his halberd is probably less dominant like when he went to attack BB, the first attack he thought to use was his earthquake ability and when that was rendered useless, he then resorted to his halbeerd. luffy could only uses his sword against other sword threats but his original fighting style would remain dominant. Afterall, his goal ain't to become best swordsman.. I can't see zoro fending off all swordsmen on his own. It makes sense that rayleigh could teach him how to fight against swords like razh said a while back. I'm not saying it is hundred percent, but you can't discard the possibility.

And again, you can just call it one of Luffys upgrades.

Deo_df
September 20, 2010, 06:44 AM
I can see Luffys need for a weapon, however his df ability seems to conflict with the use of a sword or even a type of spear. He seems to fluid, perhaps a chain based weapon that can change shape as Luffy does? I'm not really sure of the chain based weapon types but they seem to suit the crazy rubber man in my opinion

Schabrak
September 20, 2010, 06:58 AM
The vicious circle of the forum is showing up again. Exactly same topic with same arguments just a couple of pages later. :P

Luffy needed a spear staff when he was young and couldn't use his powers to defeat monster and animals. We already had a discussion about him using a pirving weapon and I will repeat my opinion. It would be to brutal and a staff would may be a homage to Son Goku/Dragonball, but wouldn't make any sense, as he's already got the power to stretch within him. :P

The pipe he used as a kid should be enough homage to DB and Oda shouldn't exaggerate it any more. And there is no way for Luffy ever using a sword for real fighting, since even within Shanks Top3 nobody but himself was shown to use a sword. Swordmanship is such a defined fighting style, with both Zoro and Brook using it, there shouldn't be a third crew member doing it too.

vpyr
September 20, 2010, 07:28 AM
I can see Luffys need for a weapon, however his df ability seems to conflict with the use of a sword or even a type of spear. He seems to fluid, perhaps a chain based weapon that can change shape as Luffy does? I'm not really sure of the chain based weapon types but they seem to suit the crazy rubber man in my opinion

Would be an option. Maybe just some chains? sometimes used like a whip, other times just wrapped around his hands for brute strenght?
Maybe he will gain a rubber-spear^^ or like in hxh or naruto he can form a blade tip out of haki at his hands

BlackSword
September 20, 2010, 10:20 AM
Everyone seems to be missing my point. The whole point of the weapon. Is to fight when his Devils fruit ability is 'Sealed'. I'm not combining his Gomu Gomu/Gears with a weapon. I'm simply saying he needs a way to fight without his devils fruit power. The ability to 'seal' DF powers i doubt is going to belong solely to whitebeard I predict more opponents with similar capabilities 'Seal of DF' users.
I predict that there will be a:
A Martial Art, DF Power and Haki ability all centered around 'Sealing' DF Powers. Its been one of the complaints Oda has been constant with throughout the series. DF Users are weak without their powers.

fistsofrage
September 20, 2010, 10:39 AM
Well the weapon that suits luffy the best is definitely a spear. It would go well with his gomu gomu gatling, and other techniques.

Schabrak
September 20, 2010, 11:11 AM
Once again, why would Oda let Luffy use a pircing weapon?

And most of the strong DF users are also strong without using them/themself. E.g. Brook can't even use his DF, as it's already used, Boa is powerful without using it, Kuma is, the admirals can take punches too, Croco seems to be the only odd one in the collection of NW pirates looking weak without his powers. It's not like the DF attacks are getting weaker against haki, they can just be stopped through COA and only to such extreme cases like with Sentoumaru, when he is in full control of it. He's a highly graded guardian within the Navy/WG.

Luffy learning haki removes the need to use external weapons, as he will be able to counter other haki users with COA to fight normally and should be able to fight "that" DF even without full control of his powers. It may help him being able to use it even though he is facing the shadow fruit, who knows. He is definitely strong even without his powers like Ace was, having trained his body all his life, like Lucci or his brothers have.

Which martial art is sealing DF powers? Fishmen Karate is without a doubt an effective combat technique, but only really sealing when in combination with water. Not even COA is sealing, it just enables the users to touch them like solid objects or stopping them like a fortress/shield.

GoE
September 20, 2010, 11:17 AM
if luffy have to use some kind of weapon, i think it will be like spike gloves with rubber base that can stretch if he use gear 3.

BlackSword
September 20, 2010, 12:00 PM
Think of luffy's Fighting Style. All his attacks are base around Gomu Gomu. Even if he once trained as a kid in regular fighting it has been years since he would have needed to. Secondly without 'Gears' which would come from the negation of his rubber power he would be in serious trouble vs someone who could Negate DF powers. And I wouldn't put it past the WG to create things that do just that. I'm not saying what his weapon will be I'm just saying that he will need some other way to fight in the event his DF ability is sealed.
These are a few possible options.
Knuckles
Knives
Staff
Spear/Naganata
Sword
Chain/Flail/Rope weapons.
[hr]

Once again, why would Oda let Luffy use a pircing weapon?

And most of the strong DF users are also strong without using them/themself. E.g. Brook can't even use his DF, as it's already used, Boa is powerful without using it, Kuma is, the admirals can take punches too, Croco seems to be the only odd one in the collection of NW pirates looking weak without his powers. It's not like the DF attacks are getting weaker against haki, they can just be stopped through COA and only to such extreme cases like with Sentoumaru, when he is in full control of it. He's a highly graded guardian within the Navy/WG.

Luffy learning haki removes the need to use external weapons, as he will be able to counter other haki users with COA to fight normally and should be able to fight "that" DF even without full control of his powers. It may help him being able to use it even though he is facing the shadow fruit, who knows. He is definitely strong even without his powers like Ace was, having trained his body all his life, like Lucci or his brothers have.

Which martial art is sealing DF powers? Fishmen Karate is without a doubt an effective combat technique, but only really sealing when in combination with water. Not even COA is sealing, it just enables the users to touch them like solid objects or stopping them like a fortress/shield.

-Peoples Prejudice against a 'piercing weapon' is foolish first of all even Zoro who uses three swords and a 'killing' style hardly every kills anyone.
Edit Added this last bit:
I see no reason for Oda to rule out Luffy using a a 'piercing weapon'. After all tons of Oda's cover pages have Luffy wearing/holding a sword so Oda has definately thought about it. A Knuckle as a weapon seems very anti-climactic, firstly it does nothing for range and they only way a Knuckle Weapon would be useful is pared with his Gomu Gomu ability. A Staff although plausible seems unlikely to me for a few reasons. One Nami uses a staff and it would seem kind of inappropriate to give Luffy the same weapon as a girl not to mention one of the weakest members of his crew. Secondly the symbolism King and swords have gone hand in hand in history since forever. People seem to see Luffy using his Gomu Gomu fruit in comparison with his weapon. I see him pulling out said weapon only when his ability fails/is rendered useless.
- I'm not saying there is currently a style that Seals DF users, but I'm saying its well within the realm of possibilities because Oda's 'Sea Stone' negates peoples powers. And Blackbeards 'Darkness/Gravity' Negates peoples powers/sucks them from the body of the user. Haki can hurt people w/ DF abilities but what is to stop someone from projecting 'Haki' to negate DF abilities? If haki can be used to make Logia tangible it is also reasonable to assume that someone skilled enough in Haki could project it to seal the DF abilities.

jacek185
September 20, 2010, 12:00 PM
i think luffy will use a sword just like shanks i think in the end of one piece luffy will fight with coby and coby will also learn to use a sword now coby and luffy fight with their fists so why not at the end fight with swords ? that is possible :) and now he is training with Silvers Rayleigh and he is using a sword ;] so he can learn from him that too

Schabrak
September 20, 2010, 02:00 PM
Well yes, you stated there being a martial art sealing DF, it's up there on this page. :] Think of those few situations Luffy would actually encounter such enemies. The Boa sisters existence is a fact showing, that power and haki can overcome other people using COA haki themself, so there is no need to use a weapon.
There is just no way, that Luffy will ever use a weapon to such a degree that he would be able fight against experienced and skilled combatants in the next couple of weeks after leaving the remote island. Firstly he has no reason to use a sword in those two years to train. Secondly swordmanship is like a religion to real swordman like Zoro. It's like spitting on his whole life as one, if Luffy were just to use one in those 1% of fights he would not be able to use one. Just as it would downgrade every ability from all the mugiwaras. What do you think that whole 2 years training session and the last couple of chapters[those words from the strawhats] were implying? Zorro and the rest of the Nakama will stand in front of him and help him in that certain situation. It seem to me that you didn't understand the last chapters imo.

About Roger using a weapon. Well he seemed to be an all-around fighter, not prefering much, as he had both on this belt, just as Blackbeard is, who still mostly uses his fist/DF combo.

johnnyb7
September 20, 2010, 02:03 PM
If Luffy uses a weapon it'll be a staff in my opinion. I can't see him using any kind of sharp weapon, he just seems to be more of a straight up ass kicking character haha.

damane08
September 20, 2010, 02:35 PM

The way that Luffy fights demands that he has the use of both hands, giving him any kind of weapon will not improve his fighting style.... it'll completely change it.
He most certainly doesn't need a weapon to deal with logias, he needs to learn how to control COA haki.
Instead of training with a weapon I'm thinking that he should probably spend all that time strengthening his COA haki... it seems more important to me, considering that the two years that they are taking to train isn't even enough time to properly master haki and to be honest you don't just take up a weapon and think that you're gonna be any good with it, learning how to use it well takes time.

Marco and Joz are two guys who did extremely well against the admirals and they didn't use weapons and we can't forget Garp, who is living proof that you don't need any kind of weapon to go against logias.... you need really strong COA haki.

Luffy should remain weaponless.... anything else will take away some of the appeal from his fighting style imo. but that's my opinion and how i see things.

fistsofrage
September 20, 2010, 03:08 PM
The reason why I believe Luffy needs a weapon is because i don't want him to become another Garp of the fists, i want him to exceed Garp and surprise him. If Luffy wants to fight Shanks, he'll need a weapon, and since Raleigh has a sword, I wouldn't be surprised if he trains luffy in weapon combat. Don't forget the scar Blackbeard gave Shanks, which means not only does he have destructive hand-to-hand combat skills, but blackbeard also has a weapon of some sort that we have yet to see.

BlackSword
September 20, 2010, 04:31 PM
@Schabrak & XxDrEvilxX
I think people misunderstand weapons in general. Learning a weapon does take years if you start from scratch. Building the desired 'reflex' speed, battle experience and strength required to wield a weapon properly takes time.
However in Luffy's case he already has the battle reflexes, experience and strength. Most martial arts that incorporate weapons into their teachings teach them only after the student has shown himself worthy in hand-to-hand combat. Not to mention that Luffy/Zoro learned the cp9 skills after a single encounter with them. A skill that took them years to master Luffy and Zoro master in the few hours between their first encounter and their second.
All things considered I don't think it is a giant leap for Luffy to pick up the basics of fighting with a weapon and develop it along with his other skills. Luffy, although it isn't widely thought of in the OP world, is a prodigy in the fact that he can learn and adapt battle tactics. He has fought along side Zoro who is arguably one of the futures most powerful swordsman. If he chooses to learn a weapon I doubt he will have much trouble doing so.

Lord.Strife
September 20, 2010, 05:20 PM
Luffy should have not a weapon but some hand and wrist armour the the form of some glove. that way he can block with COA and armour and still retain his own fightin style.

BlackSword
September 20, 2010, 05:31 PM
Luffy should have not a weapon but some hand and wrist armour the the form of some glove. that way he can block with COA and armour and still retain his own fightin style.
The whole point of him having a weapon is so he can still fight if his fighting style is sealed. Combining a Weapon with his current fighting style is not really an option and will be very anti-climactic. And this weapon will go with him wherever he goes but its not like he is going to be pulling it out during every fight. Primarily is fighting style will stay the same as it was before with the addition of Haki and whatever other abilities he develops. The weapon will be mostly decoration until his 'Gomu Gomu' ability is sealed.

Schabrak
September 20, 2010, 05:56 PM
You ignored some part of my post. How would it look like if Luffy were able to fight strong opponents, stronger than Zoro in his case, without the proper training like Zorro had. Swordmanship in this case is not just swinging your sword with strength or reflexes, it's an art for Zorro that he trained all his life, he's using techniques that he trains every day of his life. Luffy just should not be able to beat somebody on his level with a sword, if it takes Zorro more than a minute to win over some of his caliber. If you say, that he's not as strong without his DF powers, he should not be as agile too, as his whole fighting style is based on his rubber body.

Luffy is only able to use a soru-like move in 2. Gear state, not soru itself, as he's not able to stay in the air.

BlackSword
September 20, 2010, 06:09 PM
I didn't specify 'sword' Actually ive been thinking a staff would probably be best. Staff is the simplest weapon to understand and use in martial arts but it is far from the weakest. If the staff was flexible it would give Luffy a simile of his power and be easier for him to comprehend. A Staff or a Spear. Wouldn't offend any of his crew or make their abilities seem less potent seeing as Nami uses her staff to control weather more than to fight. And staffs and spears have similar basics behind their attacks. So it could be either or.
Not to mention you see him using a 'pipe' in the flash backs.

Zoro #1
September 20, 2010, 06:24 PM
I didn't specify 'sword' Actually ive been thinking a staff would probably be best. Staff is the simplest weapon to understand and use in martial arts but it is far from the weakest. If the staff was flexible it would give Luffy a simile of his power and be easier for him to comprehend. A Staff or a Spear. Wouldn't offend any of his crew or make their abilities seem less potent seeing as Nami uses her staff to control weather more than to fight. And staffs and spears have similar basics behind their attacks. So it could be either or.
Not to mention you see him using a 'pipe' in the flash backs.

Yeah agree that it should be just a simple staff. Though it not as much of weapon as a sword or a spear or gun it still packs a punch if a person wielding it knows how to use it correctly.

elitefox
September 20, 2010, 06:45 PM

Instead of training with a weapon I'm thinking that he should probably spend all that time strengthening his COA haki... it seems more important to me, considering that the two years that they are taking to train isn't even enough time to properly master haki and to be honest you don't just take up a weapon and think that you're gonna be any good with it, learning how to use it well takes time.

Luffy should remain weaponless.... anything else will take away some of the appeal from his fighting style imo. but that's my opinion and how i see things.

lol he shoots stronger than canons lol

I wonder if he incorporates haki with it, maybe not because luffy and crew can stop it

Kaiser Will
September 20, 2010, 06:53 PM
I, myself, don't like the possibility, but if he use some, I'm not against it.

But about him using a weapon or not, it was already stated in the begining of the series that Luffy, indeed use a weapon, well it's not actually a weapon but, as Zeref said, Luffy has an inner spear.

So for me, I don't see Luffy using a weapon for now.

damane08
September 20, 2010, 06:58 PM
Yeah agree that it should be just a simple staff. Though it not as much of weapon as a sword or a spear or gun it still packs a punch if a person wielding it knows how to use it correctly.

"correctly" is the key word here. No one should expect that Luffy will be able to pick up a spear and be proficient at using it in no time. this is another thing that he will have to train to be able to use... why should he do that?

my questions to every person that think that Luffy should use a weapon (and it makes no sense if he can't use it, that means he will have to train to be able to use it) is; wouldn't it be better for Luffy to constantly train to use haki better? wouldn't training to use a weapon detract from haki training? which training is more important? if you suggest a weapon that he doesn't have to train to use... what is it?

Jadedmariner
September 20, 2010, 07:10 PM
"correctly" is the key word here. No one should expect that Luffy will be able to pick up a spear and be proficient at using it in no time. this is another thing that he will have to train to be able to use... why should he do that?

my questions to every person that think that Luffy should use a weapon (and it makes no sense if he can't use it, that means he will have to train to be able to use it) is; wouldn't it be better for Luffy to constantly train to use haki better? wouldn't training to use a weapon detract from haki training? which training is more important? if you suggest a weapon that he doesn't have to train to use... what is it?

The most commonly suggested weapon was knuckle and gauntlet type weapons, which solely enhance his current fighting style. The other is a staff, which he should have some proficiency at using since he used a pipe as one in the flashbacks we saw.

I think the main reason people think he needs a weapon is that most of the high level none logia users tend to at least have weapons. Both Shanks and Whitebeard are prime examples of high level Haki users that still use weapons. It must provide them with some kind of advantage or they wouldn't bother with them.

damane08
September 20, 2010, 07:20 PM
The most commonly suggested weapon was knuckle and gauntlet type weapons, which solely enhance his current fighting style. The other is a staff, which he should have some proficiency at using since he used a pipe as one in the flashbacks we saw.

I think the main reason people think he needs a weapon is that most of the high level none logia users tend to at least have weapons. Both Shanks and Whitebeard are prime examples of high level Haki users that still use weapons. It must provide them with some kind of advantage or they wouldn't bother with them.

I don't really think that using a pipe just to hit something (like we saw in the flashback) is the same as being proficient at using a staff. if he uses a staff he'll be going up against other people with weapons and he'll need to be very skilled with it.

Wasn't shanks using a sword when he was just an apprentice? that's the way he fights, it's not a situation where he will learn how to use haki and just ditch his sword. that's the way he fights so he'll continue to fight like that while implementing haki into it (i dont know if WB used to use that weapon before he learned haki so i cant say anything about that one)

elitefox
September 20, 2010, 07:24 PM
Would be an option. Maybe just some chains? sometimes used like a whip, other times just wrapped around his hands for brute strenght?
Maybe he will gain a rubber-spear^^ or like in hxh or naruto he can form a blade tip out of haki at his hands

Now if we see his current arsenal

Gomu Gomu no Pistol (ゴムゴムの銃 [ピストル], Rubber Rubber Pistol)
Gomu Gomu no Rocket (ゴムゴムのロケット, Rubber Rubber Rocket)
Gomu Gomu no Bazooka (ゴムゴムのバズーカ, Rubber Rubber Bazooka)
Gomu Gomu no Gatling (ゴムゴムの銃乱打 [ガトリング], Rubber Rubber Gatling)
Gomu Gomu no Bullet (ゴムゴムの銃弾 [ブレット], Rubber Rubber Bullet)
Gomu Gomu no Bow Gun (ゴムゴムのボーガン, Rubber Rubber Bow Gun)
Gomu Gomu no Shotgun (ゴムゴムの銃 [ピストル] 「散弾 [ショット]」, Rubber Rubber Shotgun)
Gomu Gomu no Rifle (ゴムゴムの回転弾 [ライフル], Rubber Rubber Rifle)
Gomu Gomu no Cannon (ゴムゴムの攻城砲 [キャノン], Rubber Rubber Cannon)
Gomu Gomu no Muchi (ゴムゴムの鞭, Rubber Rubber Whip)
Gomu Gomu no Tsuchi (ゴムゴムの槌, Rubber Rubber Mallet)
Gomu Gomu no Kama (ゴムゴムの鎌, Rubber Rubber Scythe)
Gomu Gomu no Yari (ゴムゴムの槍, Rubber Rubber Spear)
Gomu Gomu no Ōgama (ゴムゴムの大鎌, Rubber Rubber Big Scythe)
Gomu Gomu no Ono (ゴムゴムの戦斧, Rubber Rubber Axe)
Gomu Gomu no Ōzuchi (ゴムゴムの大槌, Rubber Rubber Big Mallet)

I think this might go from just rubber to the real thing lol
spear, axe, mallet, scythe

lol, I think Luffy could kill someone accidentally :p

SpecterJ201988
September 20, 2010, 09:20 PM
Luffy won't get a weapon. He will make his body more of a weapon. I'm talking Rokushiki. Just think about the power up he got from learning soru. Here are my thoughts on the other five.

1) Rankyaku: Kaku already showed that this works well in countering sword attacks. Also, consider what would happen if Luffy twisted his leg when he fired it, like when he uses his rifle attack. Or, the power he could build up if he twisted his torso.
2) Geppou: This is just a theory, but i think that geppou is preformed by backfiring a rankyaku. Thus. turning it into a platform that the user can jump off of. However the user must carefully restrict the power of the technique, so that the impact doesn't break their legs. Luffy's rubber body would be immune to the impact. He could fire it off full power and launch himself with speed and force like he was shot out of a cannon.
3) Kami-e: Luffy can already bend his body more than a regular person can while using kami-e. Making himself paper light, and using COO Haki. He could be almost untouchable.
4) Shigan: PIERCING ATTACKS!!! Combine it with his current attacks and he will be punching people full of holes. Imagine it, "Piercer Jet Gatling", or "Piercer Rifle".
5) Tekkai: From what Jyabura said when he explained his Tekkai Kenpo, it seems that the user can confine the technique to a certain part of his body. So, Luffy could just solidify his hands or feet for his attacks. Gear third works by streching his arm out to the point that it hardens like a car tire. Tekkai would have the same effect without distributing the force out over a large area or gear third's after effects. It would even make him resistant to blade attacks. and even if his opponent is capable of overpowering the technique. A brute force attack would be weakened enough for his rubber body to absorb the rest of the force. He could probubley even withstand Kizaru's kicks.

I'm telling you. He is going to learn this at some point. He learned soru by observing opponents who used it. There are still plenty of Rokushiki users out there. all he needs is a few more battles with them, and he will have them all down.

Captain golddigger
September 20, 2010, 10:07 PM
what the hell is wrong with you guys...do you not realize how strong luffy's brute strength is? so a punch is not enough, now your giving something to hit people with. you people are so cruel...the guys gonna get haki for christ sakes...he might mess up and kill one of us readers by mistake...(dead serious):

kkck
September 20, 2010, 10:21 PM
Hi there guys, long time lurker, first time poster!

As Luffy gains more control over his Haki he'll hopefully be able to cause damage to Logia's. However he is still going to need something other than his fist to use on people such as Akainu or Magellen. He would be damaged as well if he started pounding on them even with Haki.

Now i can't see Luffy becoming proficient with a sword and also it would kind of clash with Zoro. He also isn't likely to become good with a weapon in a short period of time, so we may see him training with one at some point. Therefore do you think Luffy needs a weapon, and If so what could it be? I was thinking some sort of fist weapon, but how would it adapt when he used gear 3 etc.

A weapon or something to protect oneself certainly seems to be necessary when fighting someone like Akainu, Aokiji or Magellen.

I think that a weapon would certainly detract from Luffy's fruit abilities and general fighting style. However almost everyone in the New World has a weapon of some sort, perhaps for the very reason of dealing with pesky logias.

P.S I know there is a discussion as to whether Magellen is a logia or paramecia, but for all intents and purposes he is useful in this discussion

If luffy uses armor haki he won't necessarily get hurt if he punches a logia like akaino or aokiji. That is kinda one of the points of armor haki, to protect yourself. WB was in contact with akainu's lava for quite a while and he did not die outright for instance. Marco in his pheonix form directly hit akainu and he was not burned, his leg seemed quite well.

A weapon does not fit luffy in the least IMO. There is no need for him to get one, it'd be awkward.

Deo_df
September 24, 2010, 03:45 AM
So what happens when luffy fights sum1 of shanks' calibre who imbues' their weapon with haki? Will his armour haki be enuff? Won't he need gauntlets at least to allow him to go head to head. Perhaps more needs to be explained about haki, but from the way I see it, if they are both equal shouldn't it be as if they both weren't using haki? But I guess he could do the kenichi thing and get in close so the weapon user looses their advantage???

kkck
September 24, 2010, 11:14 AM
I think it'd be like when luffy fought zoro. Obviously luffy won't aim his punches to the enemy's blade lol. IMO luffy is more than capable of defending himself from enemies with weapons provided they are of his caliber and don't vastly outclass him (for instance mihawk, even if luffy was many times stronger than he was he still wouldn't be able to defend himself properly).

beastboy
September 24, 2010, 03:47 PM
The only weapon I can see Luffy with are chains around is wrists, he would use to increase power by rolling them around is fists, or use them as projectiles...
When not in combat he would be like the new Ichigo, with the Chain around is arm, but instead of a sword, it would be a bracelet!

It would look cool, and would fit the fighting style!

sharingan_kakashi
September 24, 2010, 04:10 PM
i dont want Luffy to use weapons but i think it would be cool if he carries a Flintlock pistol on his side. I think shanks or some of his cremen uses them. I know Ben Beckman for sure has one.
He can use it to intimidate poeple he doesnt want to fight, it might be a little out of character but it works on certain situations (eg Bellamy the hyena's henchmen)

Vetinari clone
September 24, 2010, 08:08 PM
The reason all those high level haki users use weapons is because they used them before learning haki. Shanks, for instance, used a sword all his life so I doubt he was hugely skilled in hand to hand, not that he couldn't use it just that he was better with his sword. So why when you learn haki would you stop using what you are already good at fighting with and start using something else? Haki is an enhancing tool, it isn't some kind of all powerful weapon that makes you able to toss aside all your other weapons. Luffy has used his DF as his weapon for most of his life so that is what he will continue to use. Well that's what I think anyway.

Although I wouldn't mind him getting a pistol cause it's just so piraty.

Schabrak
September 24, 2010, 08:36 PM
Haki is also enhancingthe weapons... so why shouldn't those haki users increase their strength by infusing it with CoA?

Freid
September 24, 2010, 10:26 PM
The only weapon I can see Luffy with are chains around is wrists, he would use to increase power by rolling them around is fists, or use them as projectiles...
When not in combat he would be like the new Ichigo, with the Chain around is arm, but instead of a sword, it would be a bracelet!

It would look cool, and would fit the fighting style!

Tbh, i think these type of weapons being chain around is fists, a knuckle duster, a gaunlet or any other fist type of weapon things is highly unlikely. Simply because of the fact that these things will have the same effect that luffy's hakki punches will have and would look exactly the same. What is the point of such an upgrade if the difference is that insignificant. Subsequently what we will see from a haki punch will be the same thing we see from a haki punch with a knuckle duster or gaunlet etc. Its only real purpose will be that it makes luffy look cooler really. In addition to that, i cant see luffy getting such a weapon just to make his punches stronger. I can only see that kinda weapon on fodders like axe-hand morgan.

Poneglyph420
September 24, 2010, 10:44 PM
Ok I know the Anime is not truly Canon but... In the last episode as Luffy is fighting the commanders at MHQ, Luffy uses a sword as a defensive tool against a marine swordsman and to spring into his next attack. I could see using a weapon found on a battlefield as a weapon of opportunity but not becoming a weapon wielding combatant IMO at least..
If we know anything about Luffy it's that his fighting style is adaptive. So I wouldn't say Luffy won't use a weapon ever for any reason.. because that's equally silly IMO.

daman246
September 24, 2010, 11:39 PM
maybe luffy can wear steal enhanced knucle type weapon instead of a sword since that will completely change his fighting style mroe to zorro

Poneglyph420
September 24, 2010, 11:44 PM
maybe luffy can wear steal enhanced knucle type weapon instead of a sword since that will completely change his fighting style mroe to zorro

????

I really hope Luffy doesn't start using a primary weapon beyond his own fists and skills.
It would distort his overall style/theme and fighting style completely IMO.

But in a moment of opportunity or as a one shot offensive or defensive use, I could see that.
Depending on the source we have seen Luffy using Pipes, Giant golden balls, and even guns.. Maybe more none I can remember right now. For sure Luffy will be a bare fisted Haki using beast. Even with the great expanse of a 2 year timeskip, IMO I can't see Oda so profoundly altering his Main Character...

vagabond87
September 25, 2010, 11:32 AM
I think that can help:
http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57974

Wrath
October 03, 2010, 02:19 PM
The only way I could see Luffy using a weapon is if he learnt to use Haki to apply his DF ability to objects.

sharingan_kakashi
October 03, 2010, 08:38 PM
i dont want Luffy to use weapons but i think it would be cool if he carries a Flintlock pistol on his side. I think shanks or some of his cremen uses them. I know Ben Beckman for sure has one.
He can use it to intimidate poeple he doesnt want to fight, it might be a little out of character but it works on certain situations (eg Bellamy the hyena's henchmen)

when i said i wanted luffy tp carry a flintlock that (fake Luffy) was not what i had in mind LOL

Kyodai Senkan Mora
August 11, 2011, 04:00 AM
Most great pirates in the one piece world (Even those proficient in hand to hand combat or those with devils fruits) seem to have a weapon of some sort which they use in battles
Roger________________pistol and sword
Rayleigh______________sword
Shanks_______________saber
Whitebeard____________Bisento to mention a few

I feel luffy needs to get one too maybe imbue it with Haki for future battles say against the VAs who mostly seem to favor rokushiki+swordplay+Haki as their primary fighting styles

MaiSiaoSiao
August 11, 2011, 06:04 AM
i cant imagine luffy with a weapon.He's df fruit is specially "made" for range combats.Stretchable.
Besides,i dont think he"ll use any weapon.He's too clumsy and lazy

kkck
August 11, 2011, 10:28 AM
Luffy has no actual weapon skills. I doubt he can even aim a gun properly lol. Luffy has been trained solely for melee hand to hand combat and when he has fought weapon users before he was never at a disadvantage unless there was an overwhelming difference in skill to begin with. Luffy does not need anything but his fists just as sanji does not need anything but his legs.

raDar
August 11, 2011, 10:29 AM
That's impossible. And isn't it that Luffy always name his moves from various weapons/objects which most likely means that he pretty much wants to use his own strength + his DF ability to somehow mimic those various objects. And maybe Luffy can be a bit unique among those people you listed with just his fists as his main weapon?

Tonix
August 11, 2011, 04:07 PM
Luffy is a signature weapon, no one else has the gomu gomu fruit. Any weapon he used would take away from his unique fighting style, not to mention the fact that it would be too small to use if Luffy went gear 3.

Anduren
August 11, 2011, 04:56 PM
Luffy is a signature weapon, no one else has the gomu gomu fruit. Any weapon he used would take away from his unique fighting style, not to mention the fact that it would be too small to use if Luffy went gear 3.

Luffy could use a rubber eraser as a weapon :D... use gear 3 on it and all. It's true he has turned his own body into everything from a pinwheel, baloon, pistol, gatling gun, storm, rain, spear, whip, axe,... you get the idea :). I'm sure we will see a lot more too, considering he's only been through half of the grand line. We did see him using sword(s?) in thriller bark as Nightmare Luffy and it looked really nice so it'd be exciting to see him using other weapons too in the future. Then again, if he could (after the time skip) use his fist on a pacifista that before the time skip Zori couldn't cut and Sanji almost broke his leg over, I guess the chances are low :(.

malgranda
August 12, 2011, 03:39 PM
Although some crazy weapon could fit Luffy, i think weapon wielding would make this character too complex. Simple and straightforward Luffy is what i like.

Uriel
August 12, 2011, 11:31 PM
Well, we have seen him with guns and swords...But nothing seems to fit.

And you know, I may be a HxH addict...But I clearly see Luffy with a rod :P

Freid
August 18, 2011, 02:59 AM
Well, the possibility came up during the month hiatus. I thought it's possible that Rayleigh could teach him some sword skills to use as a secondary fighting style, similar to the way Whitebeard primarily used his earthquakes but used his weapon when necessary. Anyway, Luffy has proven perfectly capable with fighting with solely fists and at this point it is quite unlikely that he would pick up using a weapon. If there was ever a best time to get a weapon, it was the timeskip. I doubt any significant changes will be made now.

wrstljr
August 18, 2011, 03:14 AM
The only thing possible that I can imagine is he starts chucking cannonballs like his Grandfather.

kulugo
August 18, 2011, 07:57 AM
i forgot what its called but it's the one you put on in your fingers, something like a glove but made of metal that's used by gangsters.
i think that would fit luffy's style.

haki + seastone punching gloves = overkill. hehehe

raDar
August 18, 2011, 12:22 PM
A brass knuckle? The one used by Fullbody?

haki + seastone punching gloves = overkill. hehehe

But wouldn't seastone weaken Luffy rather than help him?

kkck
August 18, 2011, 04:44 PM
The problem with using knuckles is that they would get in the way of his gear third. He could have sea stone covering the knuckles so as to not be in contact with it himself like smoker does with his weapon. I don't think knuckles would actually be helpful to luffy in the least though. I guess it could be useful for him to take away users abilities but overall its not like he would need that to fight fruit users in general. If he intended to take them prisoners it would be helpful but overall he does not need that either.

Freid
August 18, 2011, 07:19 PM
I agree. I don't think brass knuckles will be too helpful to a person that can already do this (http://www.mangafox.com/manga/one_piece/v25/c232/18.html)to a person's face with his bare hands.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd411/freid1/berrami.png

Kyodai Senkan Mora
August 18, 2011, 07:23 PM
But I clearly see Luffy with a rod :P

I can't help but agree with you....remember at marineford when he was tossed in front of the admirals with the broken ship mast that aokiji later froze? I felt it was a good look for him

kulugo
August 19, 2011, 10:31 AM
that's the only weapon i thought of that would complement his style of fighting. although i dont really see or like luffy using weapons.

@Freid well that guy's a weaksauce. luffy didn't do that same damage when he punched garp, but if he had seastone knuckles during the war, i think he would be more effective.

Freid
August 19, 2011, 04:26 PM
That example was to say that basically, on a person like Luffy who can already inflict, say, damage of 100, a measly brass knuckle is pointless and would probably increase his attack damage by about 1%. Also, Increasing the effectiveness of his attacks is what haki is for. The only purpose the brass knuckle would have would be for aesthetic reasons like making him look cooler.

Oda obviously doesn't want any member of the crew to succumb to using items like the sea stone to either cover up for their own weakness or to make themselves stronger. I don't even expect smoker to rely on his jute any more.

Kyodai Senkan Mora
August 26, 2011, 11:34 AM
I feel like a lot of people are viewing Luffy having a signature weapon from the point of a complete overhaul in his abilities when in fact this is not what I had in mind at all when i started the thread...Let me give an example of BB...he has two dfs, it is strongly hinted he has haki at some level and is uber strong...he normally uses punches in conjunction with the yami yami no mi /gura gura no mi powers but he always carries around 3 pistols in his belt and he was shown using them against WB in the wall after getting raped in hand to hand/bisento combat........WB is the other prime example he uses Gura Gura no mi punches/earth /sea tremors but still has his bisento.....If u guys remember Luffy/Ace/Sabo used pipe rods during the ace flashback arc.I guess all am saying is that was cool and maybe luffy should have sth like that to occasionally kick butt with

Quantized
August 26, 2011, 02:57 PM
This is really a tricky discussion, Luffy seem to lack a weapon, but it's not fitting for him to have a weapon either, ruining his style and fashion..

Although, there is a grand problem in my opinion.. First, Luffy is stronger than Zero, no doubts about that. However, if Zero were to fight Luffy (seriously), what in the world could Luffy defend with...?

Luffy is AWESOME as he is, but he lacks defense when having toe to toe fights with intense strong melee fighters near or over his own level.

The only time I felt abit disappointed was the Robot Franky made this exact chapter, the major part of what happens in One Piece is just fantastically written with awesome sauce on top of it!

So, lets ask Oda, can he possible make a weapon that matches Luffy in his style and surprise us all...? or find a way around his weakness..?

Schabrak
August 27, 2011, 06:38 AM
Many seem to forget, that his body is the only weapon he needs from after the Time-Skip. He's easily able to use Color Armament, to increase his defense and offense alike. He's no murderer, so he wont use sharp/peaked weapons Imo, if he in need of a weapon, the rest of the crew will be available to help him.

He's the monkey characteristics, that's for sure, but I don't need another Son Goku with a pole, he's already has the powers of the magic staff with his DF and can use pole like attacks with it. OP!=DBZ.

Kyodai Senkan Mora
August 27, 2011, 10:42 PM
He's the monkey characteristics, that's for sure, but I don't need another Son Goku with a pole, he's already has the powers of the magic staff with his DF and can use pole like attacks with it. OP!=DBZ.

While I agree vehemently that we do not need another DBZ on our hands, DBZ is one of Odas major inspirations for drawing One piece and a lot of parallels have already been drawn between the two manga. I think the pole idea could be likely since luffy already used a pipe in his younger days except this time he can as u hinted imbue it with COA but I would prefer Oda to surprise us if he ever went in this direction.maybe give luffy some nunchakus or sth(lol)

Uriel
August 27, 2011, 11:50 PM
Maybe a Tonfa, since it's such a popular weapon :P

kkck
August 28, 2011, 07:28 PM
The problem here is that at large it wouldn't make sense for luffy to have a weapon. What does luffy need one for anyways? Does he lack in strength? Does he lack in range? Is there any weapon that would benefit from his fruit at all? Luffy has at large not shown to be at a disadvantage against weapon users either. Ok, he had trouble against mihawk but that was not because mihawk used a sword but rather because mihawk is so absurdly strong that even now he would likely be schooled by him. Luffy already showed against zoro that weapons in themselves are not much of an issue for luffy, he is perfectly capable of fighting them.

Swords are already zoro's and brook's deal. I don't think luffy could develop the skills to use them without holding him back. Spears and other sort of weapons require a number of other skills which luffy is not even remotely close to acquiring. I don't honestly see any benefit towards luffy using weapons at large.... guns would be possible as they are painfully generic in many regards though. he could have them but it is not like he would get a great benefit from them....

Its not like all strong people are weapon users either. I would actually argue against that. Marco, ace, jozu, garp, sengoku, many of the supernova, a few VAs.... none of them use or need weapons, their natural abilities or fruits are enough.

kulugo
August 28, 2011, 08:07 PM
Maybe a Tonfa, since it's such a popular weapon :P

lol man! i had to google what a tonfa is, and when i saw the picture, we have that at home and didn't even know what it was called.

Schabrak
August 29, 2011, 04:05 AM
Play some Yakuza and you will learn to love them.:P

kkck
I agree with most of you argumentation, but which "skills is luffynot even remotely close to acquiring"? Perception? oO

Another point against weapons is his usage of Gear 3rd, as the weapon wouldn't grow with the change of bodysize. Weapons that are only useful at certain situations wouldn't really help him benefit from them.

kkck
August 29, 2011, 07:03 AM
The skills to use the weapons. Using a weapon requires a decent deal of training to say the least and as far as we know luffy has done none of that. Luffy right now has the weapon skills of a child basically.

lawrence
August 29, 2011, 06:56 PM
During the flashback, he was using a pistol. Though he was using it as a bat more than a gun. I think may have learned the basics of using a sword, since rayliegh, the dark king, uses a sword and he trained luffy.

sarutobi_sensei
August 29, 2011, 07:21 PM
We've seen him using swords, guns, throwing masts, but nothing seems to match him.

He could have pistols with him later on like many other have, or a sword, tonfa, rod. There was a special where he was using Smoker's jutte xD

Anyway, the only brass knuckles he would use should be sea stone ones. Top side being covered with sea stone and bottom side with normal iron.

It's not a problem for gear third because we have seen that clothes and objects like Captain Jonh's treasure map have enlarged while in Gear Third. The clothes of Fruit Users change allong with the user's body. Same with Buggy's clothes, when he is cut the clothes don't get cuts on them, as well as Logias didn't lose their clothes.

But I guess that we won't be seeing Luffy using any weapons :)

kkck
August 29, 2011, 10:48 PM
Well, luffy has used weapons before however it has invariably been in an improvised manner. He always does it in times of desperation or in a surge of creativity. Still, it does not change that luffy using a weapon outright does not make sense. I get the feeling that oda went as far as making luffy so that using something other than his fists regularly would be kinda absurd. I have to admit seeing him use garps barrage of cannon balls in combination with his fruit would be promising though. I can imagine him throwing a handful of cannon balls using gear third lol.

rosco12
August 30, 2011, 04:11 AM
Luffy doesn t need a weapon he needs to be turned into one. Just like that
http://manga.animesquish.com/comic/manga/o/one-piece/vol007-index.php?p=777

Schabrak
August 30, 2011, 04:22 AM
He's also named many of his attacks after weapons, that should be more than enough to clarify that he wont get one, especially now, when he had 2 years to train with one.

Kyodai Senkan Mora
September 01, 2011, 08:04 AM
After reading 637 and witnessing luffy break an iron shell with his thick head am beginning to come around to the way of thinking of those who are against luffy getting a signature weapon...If he fights a sword user he can just harden his arms using COA like he did and almost made hodi shit himself on this page http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/27862757/6

Quantized
September 01, 2011, 10:41 AM
After reading 637 and witnessing luffy break an iron shell with his thick head am beginning to come around to the way of thinking of those who are against luffy getting a signature weapon...If he fights a sword user he can just harden his arms using COA like he did and almost made hodi shit himself on this page http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/27862757/6

True :)
Although it seems that Hobi knows jack about Haki.. What would happen in the new world if someone with haki hit Luffy...? Would he still be able to harden his body against haki attacks..?

Kyodai Senkan Mora
September 01, 2011, 10:54 AM
True :)
Although it seems that Hobi knows jack about Haki.. What would happen in the new world if someone with haki hit Luffy...? Would he still be able to harden his body against haki attacks..?

Wow!!! the 64,000 dollar question.Can a sword imbued with haki cancel out the vulcanisation? I admit i did not think of this when i posted that post but it makes for good discussion.

kkck
September 01, 2011, 02:07 PM
I don't think it would be a problem at all. Haki does not rid an attackee of his DF powers, that is BBs thing.

Quantized
September 02, 2011, 08:24 AM
Wow!!! the 64,000 dollar question.Can a sword imbued with haki cancel out the vulcanisation? I admit i did not think of this when i posted that post but it makes for good discussion.

We're here to share views and have fun afterall right..? :tem
Not much of who's right and wrong, just love to hangout and discuss stuff :)

I don't think it would be a problem at all. Haki does not rid an attackee of his DF powers, that is BBs thing.

Haki nullifies devil fruit abilities like sea stones does, but I could be wrong and that it only works on elemental DF users though.. :tem

Haki can possibly work in different ways.. Like, if you got a superior haki, you can cut Luffy up, or if you got an equal haki, you may still be able to cut Luffy, but to a lesser extent, if you got a lower haki than Luffy, then possibly you can't cut him up.

So the question is, can equal to superior haki protect ones skin and DF abilities...?
I think Kyodai Senkan Mora might be onto to something, if Luffy gets the strongest Haki in the world, or so strong that only a few can be near his haki tier level, then it might be a bit tough to cut Luffy up for most people. But as soon someone is equal or close to Luffy's haki, then he can be cut up.

Blackbeard is kinda weak though, maybe he wanted that devil fruit because he doesn't have what it takes to archive a high haki, and thus a way to counter other devil fruit users..? Anyway, it wasn't about DF powers, but about haki vs haki :)

Uriel
September 02, 2011, 10:41 AM
Haki nullifies devil fruit abilities like sea stones does, but I could be wrong and that it only works on elemental DF users though.. :tem
This is a minor thing, but it doesn't nullify the DF...it "surrounds" it. Elements will be still elements, but they will take the damage. Not the same.

I do agree with your "The highest Haki will prevail" but that's something hard to measure on tiers to make any prediction about Luffy and it's too much situational (Don't know if the words exist in English) to Luffy depend on a weapon to overcome it.

Zeltrax
September 07, 2011, 07:23 PM
I could swear that there is a similar (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/57974-If-Luffy-will-use-weapon-in-future...-What-it-will-be) thread like this a long time ago.
Maybe a merge ?
Anyway, I still don't think luffy will get a weapon but his fighting style will change into a form that is similar to wielding a weapon.
It will be something like toriko's yet different.
Maybe he can turn his entire arm into as straight as a sword or something..in the recent chapter he turned it into something like a shield.

Uriel
September 07, 2011, 08:01 PM
Thread merged! Thanks for the heads up.

And I doubt Luffy can alter his skin enough to make a sword out of it. Maybe a Flamethrower will fit him :P

M3J
September 07, 2011, 11:59 PM
I don't think Luffy will use or needs a signature weapon, he is basically a weapon now thanks to haki. Luffy would look awkward with a sword, which is Zoro's thing. Pistols isn't for him either as he prefers hand-to-hand combat, Usopp and Frankie would do better with pistols or its variants (like Usopp's slingshot). Luffy isn't about killing people, so no weapons like Whitebeard's.

Uriel
September 08, 2011, 10:42 AM
But Whitebeard HAD a weapon. It's called Bisento if I recall properly.

Freid
September 08, 2011, 12:24 PM
I think he meant luffy won't have any weapon like Whitebeard's weapon :amuse

Looking back at the posts from the original thread, I basically said the same thing a year ago as I said just two weeks ago. Almost word for words at parts. It's funny how my logic doesn't change :D

Uriel
September 08, 2011, 12:27 PM
And are you proud of that? HUH!??

And oh well, I misunderstood. :P I think there is nothing more to say to this thread anyway. Surprised this has 9 pages and the chapter discussion doesn't reach even this number. How sad. T_T

M3J
September 08, 2011, 12:30 PM
It's four pages for me. This thread has at least a year of posts while the chapter thread has like, two days or three. Might have had more if spoiler periods were longer.

Anyway, if it counts, Luffy does use a weapon: himself. He's like a damn slingshot and now, like a hammer/club thanks to Haki. Not to mention, his rubber fingers can create a decent shield like it did against Arlong when he tried to stab Luffy with his nose. Too bad Luffy can't detach a part of his body, he'd be a great rope too. xD

Rosebullet Teacher
September 16, 2011, 01:48 AM
People are right Luffy is a straight weapon anything external would break long before he did. Wildest i could think is Gear 3rd Luffy wielding a sea king bone but only for use on super giants

FuS