PDA

View Full Version : How will Ace's Death impact Luffy? (If at all)

Oblivion
February 13, 2010, 11:17 AM
Ace is dead now. So how will this effect Luffy?

Imo it shouldn't really change anything in luffy.

Luffy's ambition: Become the Pirate King. Ace's Death won't change his resolve to find the One Piece and become the Pirate King.

Luffy knows that on his way to become Pirate King he has to become stronger in order to reach his goal and protect his Nakama. Ace's Death doesnt change this knowledge. Not a few days ago he cried with his face on the ground that he couldn't save even one of his nakamas. He knows he is just an ant compared to what the Grand Line has to offer.

So in what other ways would Ace's Death change luffy?

For the sake of the manga he will remain the happy Strawhat Captain.

Ace's Death wasn't needed to make him beat the crap out of BB.

So any ideas?

Immo
February 13, 2010, 11:44 AM
He will just change his main goal list :
1) kill Akainu
2) spit on Akainu's grave
3) pee on Akainu's grave
4) Get back all of his nakama
5) mass spit and pee on Akainu's grave
6) becoming Pirate King

Foxdie
February 14, 2010, 07:28 AM
I think we will see something for the first time in the incoming chapter...

" Luffy will hit logia DF user with his anger = his haki "

even if he doesn't know how to use it, still it's the same thing that happened before in Amazon Lily with sisters of Hancock when he yelled at them.

bittman
February 14, 2010, 05:36 PM
I think Luffy looks good with both of his hands, so hitting Akainu is not what I'd expect.

Most likely he'll faint, wake up after a timeskip with a bit of emo and rage, be calmed by his nakama, continue his journey with a healthy attitude, but a hidden rage against the marines.

DARK
February 15, 2010, 01:20 PM
Knowing Luffy he'd probably bang his head some more like he did back in Impel Down, but even harder. Before Luffy had some chance in saving Ace, but now there's no way for Ace to come back knowing he's dead. As bittman mentioned before, Luffy will have a secret hatred for the marines. Luffy dealt with a similar situation with Robin back at Enies Lobby. Despite Robin being an enemy and have only been with the crew for a short amount of time, it still drove Luffy into wanting to declare war on the World Government. Ace is different in that they have grown together in childhood and have a brotherly bond towards one another. I can only imagine how much Luffy will hate the World Government now that they have taken both his friends and his brother away from him...

LegendWoodsman
February 15, 2010, 03:03 PM
Luffy could possibly enter into a pit of despair, to be brought out of it by the Straw Hats

Franckie
February 15, 2010, 04:16 PM
Luffy's personality is unlikely to undergo any major changes.

The real reason Ace died was for the sake of the plot. Like Whitebeard, any reasonable plot development for the second half of One Piece (the "New World") would be hindered by keeping Ace alive. So much more can be accomplished with Ace's death than allowing him to live, which is why saving Ace is just a disguise for the things that this saga was really about. A few examples:

Distinguish Akainu from the other Admirals
Set Blackbeard up as the final villain
Ensure complete destruction of WB's era by removing WB's heir
Foreshadow a darkening tone for the manga

Bugzee
February 20, 2010, 08:52 PM
@ Immo - Thanks for sharing! :amuse

No doubt that the tragic loss of Ace will have an impact on Luffy! I don't think his personality will change drastically. I feel that he'll cherish and protect his nakama more than ever before. The bond between each SH will defintely grow. I feel Luffy will be able to understand his nakama more; especially since most of them have lost someone important to them as well.

The SH's will defintely return and conquer the GL for sure! :shakefist

kkck
February 22, 2010, 02:51 AM
He will just change his main goal list :
1) kill Akainu
2) spit on Akainu's grave
3) pee on Akainu's grave
4) Get back all of his nakama
5) mass spit and pee on Akainu's grave
6) becoming Pirate King

You missed the important #7.

7) Once a pirate king, go back to akainu's grave, un-bury the guy and watch him roll over.

watanazn
February 23, 2010, 02:08 AM
i dont like the fact that ppl said this wont impact Luffy...it's the death of one of the most closest person to him..how wud u feel it that had happened to you...?
my theory is this...
this hits the fan...ppl actually die, and luffy's playfulness will be gone after he realises this. then...meets up with the crew...luffy states he doesnt want to go anywhere anymore, reasoning that this is the only way he wont have to lose anyone close to him anymore. hearing this...crew gets extremely disappointed, except zoro. he gets amazingly irritated, pulled out his sword, swearing to kill luffy, zoro reason being what he stated back then when he became the first crewmate, if luffy does anything that impedes zoro from being the world strongest swordsman, zoro will kill him. fought for a while...luffy ran off. after a while, WG sends armies to capture/exterminate the strawhat crew, reasons being luffy's ancestry and what he did. then...as luffy watches his crewmates out numbered, he realises the only possible way he wont lose another nakama is him getting stronger than anyone else in order to protect them(as he stated before)....all is well...after a few details.

i hope it goes somewhat similar to this, because it hurts when someone close to you suffers man...no matter how positive the view of the world you have.

PS cake wants a fight between Zoro and Luffy....PLS...ODA sensei........please!

THM Nindo
February 23, 2010, 06:17 PM
It will affect him for sure.
I hope he will still remain like he was though. I don't want him to become overly mature (like Naruto became for example).

He needs to remain funny and adventurous and somewhat stupid.
But, I think it's a good time for him to take everything more seriously.

And I don't know if he will the revengful type. If that's the case, I hope he won't go too far :
- Wanting Aikanu dead
- Wanting Sengoku dead
- Wanting the whole World Gouv. dead
- etc.

I don't want him to go stupidly and try to find Aikanu, invading the Marine Headquarter, looking for hiim, to kill him, etc.

I hope he will simply continue is adventure with the Strawhat and that he will keep in mind what happen and take revenge upon Aikanu (and Kuma for what he did to his crew) when they meet.

---

More importantly, after having watch all of his nakama getting killed (at least, that's what he thought at the time), and failing to save his brother, I think that Luffy will try even harder and will become stronger.
I don't know if it will be a Gear4, or better Haki, though...

He can think of a Gear4 by himself, but for Haki control, he will need help (Silvers? Hancock?)

Xman
February 24, 2010, 05:24 AM
Here is what I think what's gonna happen...

Luffy disappear for a while for the period of time that Oda mention that would make him different from the 17-years-old-boy... my theory regarding this is:

3-5 year:
3 years is enough for him to change physically and mentally, lets say he would be more like Shanks "minus 10 years" ... serious/drinking... yet still funny.
5 years, would give us a whole new person... far from our expectations

I would say, we are going to see a new person, because "last arc we would see Luffy as 17-years-old" means everything from 17years old people we expect to act.

And yet, we can't forget about his Nakam when they hear the news, how they will react, their feelings towered Luffy, and does that will even effect any of them ?

I would like also to mention the whole changes that would happen to everyone else in this unknown period that would changes Luffy... but I guess I will go open another thread for this subject.... Or wait for someone to do it.. "too lazy to do this since I'm about to finish my work"

THM Nindo
February 24, 2010, 08:27 AM
Here is what I think what's gonna happen...

Luffy disappear for a while for the period of time that Oda mention that would make him different from the 17-years-old-boy... my theory regarding this is:

3-5 year:
3 years is enough for him to change physically and mentally, lets say he would be more like Shanks "minus 10 years" ... serious/drinking... yet still funny.
5 years, would give us a whole new person... far from our expectations

I would say, we are going to see a new person, because "last arc we would see Luffy as 17-years-old" means everything from 17years old people we expect to act.

And yet, we can't forget about his Nakam when they hear the news, how they will react, their feelings towered Luffy, and does that will even effect any of them ?

I would like also to mention the whole changes that would happen to everyone else in this unknown period that would changes Luffy... but I guess I will go open another thread for this subject.... Or wait for someone to do it.. "too lazy to do this since I'm about to finish my work"

You're thinking of a timeskip?
While it's not impossible, I don't think we would get a huge timeskip like that...

We might have a timeskip of a few months, finding Lufy on an island with the remaining of WB crew, but I don't think we'll skip years.

Xman
February 24, 2010, 10:15 AM
While it's not impossible, I don't think we would get a huge timeskip like that...

We might have a timeskip of a few months, finding Lufy on an island with the remaining of WB crew, but I don't think we'll skip years.

but you see, I read somewhere that Oda said that after this arc or movie 10 "I'm not sure which one", that "this is the last time we are going to see Luffy as 17 years old boy"... that means in the "next part" of the story of One Piece, Luffy is going to change .. and I think this is the best time that will change Luffy...

DLord.Van.Buuren
February 24, 2010, 10:19 AM
but you see, I read somewhere that Oda said that after this arc or movie 10 "I'm not sure which one", that "this is the last time we are going to see Luffy as 17 years old boy"... that means in the "next part" of the story of One Piece, Luffy is going to change .. and I think this is the best time that will change Luffy...

yeah the movie is luffy 's last adventure as a 17 years old concerning if its going to affect the current storyline what has been said is nothing more than speculations

on an island in the NW wlong with the whitebeard crew i thinks this raises a big "?"

urlaub
February 24, 2010, 10:44 AM
I agree with all of you in some aspects. There will be the sadness, hate and moving on part. We haven't seen serious sadness part until now.Merry was kind of different I think. So this uncovers a new side to Luffy's personality. Maybe the hate remains, but the sadness fades and a new lesson is probably learned for Luffy. Either way he gets in some aspects more mature and in others stays the same goofy guy we all like.

THM Nindo
February 24, 2010, 02:27 PM
yeah the movie is luffy 's last adventure as a 17 years old concerning if its going to affect the current storyline what has been said is nothing more than speculations

on an island in the NW wlong with the whitebeard crew i thinks this raises a big "?"

No, I was thinking he would be on an island in the Grand Line, not the New World.
He needs to cross to the New World throught the fishmen island with the StrawHat crew, not with the Whitebeards...

zagorka
February 26, 2010, 04:03 AM
Good ideas everyone for the most part. I agree his personality shouldn't change. I think his brother's death and his nakama vanishing will make Luffy's spirit very determined and great for that matter. Not that it isn't already, but it'll become greater.

All I know is that losing his brother will make him even more determined to become more powerful to protect his nakama. Being that he's pure, he'll have a haki that is unmatched, at least for the most part. But with the determination of never losing a close one again, he'll reach the top quite quickly.

It's possible Luffy will want Akainu dead, but we've never seen him wish for something like that in that past. He's stated that he's hated people like the Tenrybuto(sp?), but never killing someone. At least to my recollection. I don't think he desires for anyone to die, or to conquer. He'll probably want to beat Akainu to a pulp, but that's it. Just the knowledge of being more powerful is enough for him I think, so that he'll be able to protect his nakama.

Moses911
March 01, 2010, 08:01 PM
i like the idea of someone (maybe rayleigh) "teaching" (more like giving tips) luffy on how to control haki so that luffy will be stronger. I hope that this will make luffy become a tad more serious and a better leader(somewhat smarter but still a goof-off) Maybe after a time skip he would kidnap vegapunk or burn down marejoias. For a berserker mode, think back to nightmare luffy- somehow with haki his body remembers the powers of the shadows he absorbed and he becomes a monster again.

johnnyb7
March 01, 2010, 08:37 PM
I can see a time skip of at most a year (maybe Luffy will grow a beard of some kind haha). Overall I don't think Ace's death will change him too much though. He'll be very sad at first, but will promise to protect his nakama even more now and then go back to being fun loving

Uriel
March 01, 2010, 11:44 PM
All I know is that losing his brother will make him even more determined to become more powerful to protect his nakama. Being that he's pure, he'll have a haki that is unmatched, at least for the most part. But with the determination of never losing a close one again, he'll reach the top quite quickly.
This.

I think Luffy will accept Ace death just because He died with a smile. Something about that smile IS important and I wont pass on that detail. Their see the death as something good, so after the shock ends it will take a time to get Luffy as it was, but I don't think it will last long anyway.
I don't think He will want something as revenge, but more like justice. The concepts and motivations behind it are quite different and the first one is something that I relate more with other characters which, as an interesting fact, doesn't carry the Will of D.
To support this thought, I'll compare Ace with Luffy. When Ace goes to "hunt" Blackbeard, it's not because He wants revenge but more like He just wants the rules of Whitebeard be respected.

darkfiend
March 06, 2010, 08:09 AM
This.

I think Luffy will accept Ace death just because He died with a smile. Something about that smile IS important and I wont pass on that detail. Their see the death as something good, so after the shock ends it will take a time to get Luffy as it was, but I don't think it will last long anyway.
I don't think He will want something as revenge, but more like justice. The concepts and motivations behind it are quite different and the first one is something that I relate more with other characters which, as an interesting fact, doesn't carry the Will of D.
To support this thought, I'll compare Ace with Luffy. When Ace goes to "hunt" Blackbeard, it's not because He wants revenge but more like He just wants the rules of Whitebeard be respected.

I hadnt thought about the smiles, thanks for bringing that up. Seems to be one of the key features of the 'D' charecters.

Uriel
March 06, 2010, 03:57 PM
I hadnt thought about the smiles, thanks for bringing that up. Seems to be one of the key features of the 'D' charecters.
Exactly. How they view their death and death itself, I think. Maybe it's just a new adventure for them.

Anyway, I think that is really important and will be shown in the next 15 chapters.

ScratchmenApoo
March 06, 2010, 04:02 PM
I think after recovering, Luffy will be more serious than ever and he will get a lot of flashbacks... After that he will just let it go and keep following his dream and have even more willpower to go on....

vanderag
March 08, 2010, 11:37 PM
Amazingly I don't think Ace's death will make Luffy change that much. He will become more determined to protect his nakma however he will not look for revenge and be consumed by hate.

The other SH have also had experiences like this:

Zoro: Kuranai was like a sister made him determined to become best swordsman.

Nami: Bellemere was killed her mum. She was then determined to help villagers against Arlong.

Usopp: Mother died. He vowed to follow his dad and become a brave warrior.

Sanji: Not so much. Zeff only lost his leg however still life changing.

Chopper: Dr Hirulak dies. Now he wants to find a cure 2 all diesease's.

Nico Robin: Need I say anything. Buster Call and left alone in world. Wants to find Poneglyph.

Franky: Tom. He now wants to follow Tom and build the world's greatest ship.

Brook: Whole crew. Wants to find Laboon as last member of crew.

They are not depressed just more determined. Luffy wouldn't do well as a Sasuke:s

Sorry for long post:)

Poneglyph420
March 09, 2010, 12:09 AM
Well.. I think this will be the biggest event in Luffy's maturation from boy to man.
He will for sure come back with a will and sense of purpose not seen before.

Even small hints like Luffy's foresight that Mihawk's attack would of taken his arm shows development. His very reality was broken, this is not just some level up event.. this is a deciding moment in showing Luffy what the road to the top holds..
If Luffy is not willing to lose Nakama along the way, he needs to be the captain and be responsible for their safety. I think he kinda gets that now...

Oh Vanderag.. Zeff ate his own leg for survival.. That's one hell of a reality check!

vanderag
March 09, 2010, 03:26 AM
Well.. I think this will be the biggest event in Luffy's maturation from boy to man.
He will for sure come back with a will and sense of purpose not seen before.

U r right however i'm saying he's not going completly emo. He will however mature from a boy to a man. The age of 18 if often considered to be a man's age and Oda stated that this would be his last adventure as a 17 year old indicating the developement.

(Sorry if that isn't the right way to quote Poneglyph):s

Lord Rayleigh
March 13, 2010, 10:26 AM
We saw in Enies Lobby Luffy explaining that after he met Aokiji, he understood he would need to be stronger to protect his weak nakamas. That's what he told Blueno before they began to fight. His Gears 2 and 3 were supposed to be the answer to this problem. All the next arcs, from TB to MF explain that this answer is insufficient : with his strenght and his Gears, he will not be able to protect the ones he loves.

In Thriller Back, the incident with Kuma foreshadowed Luffy was still not strong enough to protect his nakamas. Indeed, after the fight, he was K.O. while his nakamas were facing a Shichibukai. They could have died before his (sleeping) eyes. Fortunately, Kuma only wanted to kill Luffy, and Zoro intervened - he saved Sanji and him, surviving his pain on his own.
The Shabondy Archipelago confimed Luffy's lack of strenght : Luffy realized while his crew was fighting an Admiral, Sentoumarou and some PX that he and his Gears were not enough to protect them. Fortunalety, Kuma saved all of the SHs. Anyway, this time, it was not implicit like it was at TB because Luffy was awakened and saw the disappearance of all this nakamas one by one. Oda even made him cry and give up, " I couldn't even save a single nakama ".
The Marinford arc ends the " Luffy's lack of strenght " Saga with a tragical event : because Luffy was not able to avoid Akainu's magma punch, Ace sacrificed himself in order to save him and died in Luffy's arms, while he could not do a sole thing.

This death will impact Luffy for sure. He will not turn emo as some are afraid of, he will get a lot stronger to protect the ones he cares about. Zoro swore after he was beaten by Mihawks that he would never lost against a swordman anymore ; Luffy will do the same and swear that he will never someone he loves before his eyes again. Since Zoro's promise to Luffy, he's been shown to train a lot to be an invincible swordman. Luffy will now train too to keep his promise : that's the impact Ace's death will have on Luffy.

Xman
March 13, 2010, 10:52 AM
I think there is some into Thriller Back + The Shabondy Archipelago that effects the crew from the character developments...

I think its just showing that even thought they are at this point of this story where they beat alot of people, they aren't as half-strong the big shots....

I'm talking about the supernova people.

For example and correct me if I'm wrong, it took the whole crew with their ultimate skills to beat down 1 PX...
In the meanwhile, only 2 supernova took 1 PX "and I don't think they used their ultimate powers"

Its just to show a point that they still lack more and more power, and thats why I think Oda left everyone on his own to upgrade him/her self away from dependening on someone else to help, to make each one of them takes him/her self to the max power where they can fight in the new world.

And you as you can see from most of the Side Stories, each one of them left on a place where you make sure like 90%, he will comes out with something to amaze us... not Sanji sadly. D':

RichardMNixon
March 13, 2010, 12:59 PM
For example and correct me if I'm wrong, it took the whole crew with their ultimate skills to beat down 1 PX...
In the meanwhile, only 2 supernova took 1 PX "and I don't think they used their ultimate powers"

If you're saying the SHs are below the other supernovas I'd disagree. Zoro was already half dead at that point, so really it was a supernova (Luffy) and a half (Zoro) plus crew vs a PX. The other one wasn't fought by two supernovae, it was Kidd, Law, and Killer (three SNs) plus both their crews, which got more press than other SN crews. Jean Bart, Bepo, and the fire-breathing rasta-zombie guy are probably respectable fighters in their own right, up there with Sanji and Franky. I also doubt either of those crews held their "ultimate skills" back either, the canon manga didn't show us how they won.

To me that says, if anything, the Straw Hats are equal to two of the best Supernova crews put together.

As for Luffy and Ace, this is definitely another "I need to get stronger to protect my friends" bit. I don't think Oda is going to hold haki off for much longer: it's going to start showing up in their fights regularly. The manga has periodically mentioned "inherited will." I would like to think Luffy has inherited the will of Roger, Saul, and now Rouge and Ace; he's fighting for his brother now, for the freedom they both wanted.

masubiladin
March 13, 2010, 08:30 PM
oy oy. its 3 supernova and the entire crew. And in case u didnot notice, zoro was having serious injuries (from oz, kuma)
However i must say that its not luffy ultimate technique, his ultimate technique is gear second combing with gear third.
[hr]

To me that says, if anything, the Straw Hats are equal to two of the best Supernova crews put together.
very true my friend. (but when luffy learn to control his haki...ahahaha imagine that ...)

Fox666
March 13, 2010, 09:52 PM
We don't know the power of the Supernova crews. Sanji was always displayed as Zoro's equal, but his bounty is below 100 millions, thus not a supernova. I imagine Bepo being at the same strength of Sanji. No idea about the other two from Heart pirates.

masubiladin
March 14, 2010, 12:46 AM
...i dont think that Sanji as the same lv of that bear Bepo. Are you really seriously thinking like that? Sanji is a Devil ( Diable jamble, Zoro is a God(asura), just because the bounty is same same doesnot mean that they are the same lv

chess4
April 07, 2010, 02:57 PM
http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/574-53/17

this page has bothered me since that chapter came out. ace saying he would never die and his mother saying she wanted him to be named gol d ace. i think shanks will probably have some of the best doctors in his crew. maybe somehow ace survives and will go by the name his mother wanted him to have

chess4
April 07, 2010, 05:15 PM
He is dead. Let the man rest already. Spare Roger's bloodline with stupid reviving theories.

if you dont like what i have to say, dont reply, but dont act like cgharacters we thought had been killed, and it seemed like no way for them to live, pulled out ok in the end. pell, ingaram, and pagaya are 3 that comes of the top of the head

Poneglyph420
April 07, 2010, 07:06 PM
He is dead. Let the man rest already. Spare Roger's bloodline with stupid reviving theories.

Amen brother. Ace I will miss you, but your dead.. I know.

All of the other characters who have mysteriously survived "sure death" scenarios have not had clear "goodbye" death sequences, and have reappeared within a few chapters.... Pertty sure the good boy is gone.
And I love Ace (Used to use him as an avatar but it was too painful..)

Know back to the topic at hand.

I think Luffy will be focused on getting stronger (hopefully without a training arc..)

Otherwise it's really his future actions that will determine if he has inherited the will of Ace and Roger.....
But from seeing how he reacted to Mihawk and others in the war, he's already growing up....

kangclaw
April 08, 2010, 05:39 AM
There will definitely be some changes both physically and mentally. Luffy will be physically and mentally more mature, and still funny but definitely more mature mentally. I am still surprised that he thought he could defeat people of Aokiji's calibre with his Gear 2 and 3. Was he really that naive ?

Someone in the other thread quoted Oda:
http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56030&page=13

DLord.Van.Buuren
April 08, 2010, 05:20 PM
luffy sure we'll get over it with time .

physically highly likely but it would ba a stretch trying to pull a emotional luffy .

Yami_Yami_No_Mi_89
April 09, 2010, 06:30 PM
luffy is going to laugh a lot cause he wasn't his real bro... i think he will stop searchin op and tryin to marry boa... that's what i suppose makes more sense...

Stilzkin
April 09, 2010, 06:37 PM
I'm totally with YamiYami on this one, luffy just won't give a shit about this whole mess, Ace wasn't his real bro so fuck him anyway...but I have to disagree on Boa's part, I think it's more likely to see Luffy apologize to Sengoku for this whole mess and perhaps become an important pawn on the Marine's side.

anaskr
April 10, 2010, 11:01 AM
what if ace really isn dead????!! maybe shanks knocked him off by haki or maybe they had some sleeping pill shot to ace !! cud be possible!! that is why SHANKS SAID ACE AND WB WILL BE TAKEN AWAY BY HIM !!

zapman
April 11, 2010, 12:17 PM
stop with that talk already... dead is dead.

i think we will see a more determined and mature luffy, after all aces final words were i know your dream will come to pass.

i would like to know what ace told luffy to tell his nakama

BlackHair
April 12, 2010, 11:29 AM
Poneglyph420 (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/member.php?u=93719) already covered up everything I wanted to say. But since my post was deleted, I will write a new one with more lines. Hope this one will survive this thread.

if you dont like what i have to say, dont replyNothing against you personally, but I hate all those reviving theories. And I can't find a better word than "stupid" to describe it. Furthermore I don't see why Im not allowed to answer on posts with what I disagree. Last time I checked this is a forum.

Ace is dead. Brining him back to alive would only damage the current plot. Also chapter 574 would be a complete waste. I can't see Oda bringing him back alive, he wouldn't do ass pull technique as Kishi did with Nagato (Pain). Especially since Oda mentioned that in one of his interviews.

but dont act like cgharacters we thought had been killed, and it seemed like no way for them to live, pulled out ok in the end. pell, ingaram, and pagaya are 3 that comes of the top of the headNone of those character were killed on screens. The panels were either cut or not even drawn. While Akainu burned Ace's internal organs in front of everyone's (readers) eyes. He even got a own chapter, a good bye speech and the serious reactions of everyone on this battlefield. Especially that of Luffy, whose reaction was new to this manga.

urlaub
April 12, 2010, 11:49 AM
I agree Ace is dead, I saw it with my own eyes. And now if Kuma goes to repel death, then I hate this manga. And if I see some talking in heaven and Roger and Ace having a little cup of tea and then the bright light shines upon Aces forehead and tells him it is not time yet my son.........
Have to face it that this was a mofo bold move; basically chess is the only one who still comes public with suspicion and skepticism.