PDA

View Full Version : Question Love or hate Blackbeard

Vetinari clone
February 19, 2010, 06:29 AM
Personally I love Blackbeard, he won me over with his talk about pirates dreams, however I see a lot of posts from people who don't like him so I'm wondering what the ratio is.

Edit: With the new chapters I'm gonna have to say I'm unsure whether I like him any more the way he has behaved in these last few chapters... Well, it isn't to my taste.

Smit
February 19, 2010, 08:07 AM
I cant seem to hate him eventhough i want to sometimes. He's a man who is following his dreams and is willing to do anything to achieve it. Most people dont have that kind of conviction and sometimes that is a good trait.

Schabrak
February 19, 2010, 08:25 AM
I can't understand how people who voted "to like him"... your are DISTURBED! Betraying his family, spitting on loyality, taking his "brother" to people to kill him later on. For example: Ryo Narushima from Shamo, he is an interesting person, his fights are awesome, but would anybody like like him, like him to be a friend? Never.

Organizized
February 19, 2010, 08:36 AM
He is the most pirate-like pirate in One Piece and yes, he does have some very interesting feats. He follows and believes in his dreams just like Luffy, but he is willing to do the most terrible things to achieve them, not very Luffy-like. He betrayed his family/nakama which is the one absolute thing Luffy would never do.. He really is like an evil Luffy, and he is an awesome character to have as a villain.

HOWEVER, the point with the villain is that you aren't supposed to like him. I sure as hell do not like this cold-hearted, betraying son of a bitch, but I find him awesome as a villain. I guess this is why people said they like him.

Fox666
February 19, 2010, 10:14 AM
He is the most pirate-like pirate in One PieceThat's a good point!

I have heard that the real pirate Blackbeard took all money from his crew and left them stuck somewhere, I don't remember very well the history.

Vetinari clone
February 19, 2010, 10:40 AM
That's a good point!

I have heard that the real pirate Blackbeard took all money from his crew and left them stuck somewhere, I don't remember very well the history.

nah he got hung (or at least his head did) so it would've been kinda hard to do :darn. but yeah both blackbeards were/are awe inspiring

redred
February 19, 2010, 12:22 PM
I can't seem to dislike BB. He won me over with the luffy parallel scenes back in Jaya. After that i never really thought of him as awful regardless of his actions :P

bittman
February 20, 2010, 12:00 AM
I loved him when I thought he was seriously one of the few remaining badasses in One Piece given Kuma the "tyrants" tactical behaviour and the last two unrevealed Shichibukai becoming Luffy's allies.

...and then we got introduced to Doflamingo and Akainu.

I think BB will be the final boss, but he's just not....well not evil enough anymore. Maybe he'll rectify this soon.

So anyway, on the fence with him.

Poneglyph420
February 20, 2010, 12:32 AM
I can't understand how people who voted "to like him"... your are DISTURBED!

Thank you.

While I won't contest that, BB is not someone I'd make friends with. But I like him, I like that he embodies much of what "classical" pirates did..
I also like that he has been dedicated to his goal for decades, and through patience and evil handed cunning succeeded. But I might not have him over for beers....
:p

In the context of OP world morality he's actually not off from the norm.
I think few people would really like to meet a pissed BB coming our way.
However often dark "shady" people make good allies especially in a place where the WG and it's forces are as willing to use any means as willingly the forces they combat.

Bugzee
February 20, 2010, 04:51 PM
:err How can you hate BB??? :D

I think his a super character! Zehahahaha << BB's laugh is legendary lol xD!

BlackHair
February 25, 2010, 03:59 PM
BB seems to be the final villain of the story. Since he represent that value in OP, I dislike his way to do things. I mean all the decades hiding behind WB's shadow to gain a fruit and later he sticks his ass with the WG (as a member of the 7 Warlords). Yes that was a smart move, however not reckless as Luffy would do things. I like BB as a villain but as THE final villain he is quite disappointing.

However there is one thing I rly like about BB. That he is still not the strongest, that he is still in power growing pirate. I mean Luffy was able to send him flying bleeding and he was beaten by Magallen in two seconds. Unlike in other stories we get to see our antagonist growing in a similar way like Luffy. Oda did rly a good job here to not make him godlike ala Aizen.

DARK
February 25, 2010, 10:38 PM
We haven't seen much of Blackbeard to give a full-bodied judgment, but Oda seems to be developing him as the "final villain" of the storyline.
Blackbeard is such a controversial character to love or hate. While he is a very wacky yet badass character and his DF abilities are exceptional, Blackbeard did cause Ace's death and basically screwed over the WB pirates.
Right now, I'm more near the "love" end of the spectrum in regards to Blackbeard. Hopefully now that Blackbeard is on the battlefield along with Whitebeard, he can finally exemplify his qualities.

Organizized
February 26, 2010, 07:07 AM
:err How can you hate BB??? :D

I think his a super character! Zehahahaha << BB's laugh is legendary lol xD!

He's a good character in the sense that you want to punch him in the face but are too afraid of getting your ass kicked to do so. In other words, he's a good character because he's a villain that you don't like. At least that's how I feel. :p

People say they love him so much, but when he's up against Luffy they're gonna feel deep hatred towards him every time he so much as slaps Luffy.

frontaLobotomy
February 26, 2010, 07:40 AM
Before you decide whether you like Blackbeard or not you should ask yourself; Are you a fan of The Joker? Compelling villains are always the ones that walk the road with no finite views on what is good or evil. They just do things, and that's that. Even if what they do is deplorable, we as fans can relate to it in terms of wanting to just do as we please. Teach and Luffy are one and the same, they just go about things in a different way.

Franckie
March 01, 2010, 11:59 AM
BB is a unique antagonist you don't see everyday. There's not much of a philosophical conflict you see between him and Luffy as you would, for example, see between Doflamingo and Luffy. He also has a fatalistic, happy-go attitude with things. Nevertheless, his demeanor obscures the fact that BB is intelligent, patient, and calculating. He has no qualms about taking advantage when opportunity presents itself, and now BB has personally shattered One Piece's "Balance of Power". BB also doesn't have the appearance of what people normally expect for a final villain (bishounen, though that could change with BB).

On a side note, he has a very interesting power. I find BB's DF power to be one of the most interesting, entertaining abilities out of all the Shichibukai.

Uriel
March 01, 2010, 04:43 PM
I think Blackbeard has a great chance to become the Pirate King. It's the natural opponent of Luffy, the philosophy that goes similar and yet so different.

I LOVE the character FOR THE STORY, although I doubt that I would like him If I would be on OP world.

He also has some things interesting to challenge the supremacy of Logia, and I can't wait how Luffy will do to defeat him. I can't come up with any answer, so it would be awesome to know how Oda will make that fight. For me it's like Magellan...It's one power I'm curious to see defeated.

PaPiPuPePo~
March 07, 2010, 06:50 AM
at the beginning i liked him very much because what he says :D about the dreams :smugbunny
he join the war and throw big words but after that he cried for his life :wall
i lost many respect for him XD -_-

Vetinari clone
March 08, 2010, 01:34 AM
Yup I think a lot of people have that opinion. I'm kinda leaning towards the a$$hole line of thinking myself now.

Xerous
March 08, 2010, 02:58 AM
I think Blackbeard has a great chance to become the Pirate King. It's the natural opponent of Luffy, the philosophy that goes similar and yet so different.

I LOVE the character FOR THE STORY, although I doubt that I would like him If I would be on OP world.

He also has some things interesting to challenge the supremacy of Logia, and I can't wait how Luffy will do to defeat him. I can't come up with any answer, so it would be awesome to know how Oda will make that fight. For me it's like Magellan...It's one power I'm curious to see defeated.

i'm pretty sure if we were in the OP world we wouldn't like a lot of characters we love:eyeroll

Charlie
March 08, 2010, 03:30 AM
I like his character a lot, but the recent chapter made it seems like he is somewhere in the middle of like and hate. Hope that made sense.

Immo
March 08, 2010, 03:46 AM
BB is showman. I think it wasnt crying for life, it was rather part of his show.

Uriel
March 08, 2010, 01:29 PM
i'm pretty sure if we were in the OP world we wouldn't like a lot of characters we love:eyeroll
Nah, I mostly like all the characters that I know I would be friend of. D:

Xerous
March 08, 2010, 03:30 PM
Nah, I mostly like all the characters that I know I would be friend of. D:

myself for example i like Croc but i know i'd probably despise him if i lived there:notrust

RichardMNixon
March 10, 2010, 06:54 PM
So there was some discussion in the spoiler thread regarding whether or not Blackbeard should be considered a coward. Someone complained it was off-topic so I figured I'd divert it here. Just remember to keep 577 out of it til the weekend.

In my mind the fact that BB begged for his life in front of WB doesn't make BB a coward, it makes WB a beast.

Crocodile and the admirals/VAs never begged for their lives. When he was blasting Akainu to pieces, Akainu hit him back.

Some of you say that it's obvious that he is a coward. I say It is obvious that getting this far required bravery, staring death in the eye many times as did every pirate who wanted to survive in the race to become the strongest.

He's not brave, he's overconfident. Overconfident and cowardly is an odd combination but then he's an odd fellow.

When Luffy and Roger saw their inevitable deaths coming they laughed: http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/99/17/

Blackbeard contrarily begged Whitebeard for his life. He's got the balls but not the spine.

Aikidoka
March 10, 2010, 07:36 PM
I hate his guts. He is a monster, he is a bastard, he is a douchebag, and he is a coward.

But as a character, I like his concept. I think BB is one of the rarer villains in literature who believe in the same romantic notions of dreams as the hero does, but has those qualities juxtaposed with traditional qualities of villains.

DLord.Van.Buuren
March 11, 2010, 06:11 AM
BB is the main antagonist its normal if you guys hate him as he is meant to be hated .

strawhatsarah
March 12, 2010, 06:13 AM
BB is the main antagonist its normal if you guys hate him as he is meant to be hated .

Very true. Though I really like where Oda took him, I can't help but fall into the stereotypical "OMG I hate him!" way of thinking. He was made to be thought of that way, but at the same time you can't help but feel for Blackbeard. I dont know about anyone else, but when reading the latest chapter I couldn't help but feel maybe just a tiny bit for him. Even though I hate him, I understand that he would do nearly anything to see his dreams come true. When you think of a pirate, he really does fit the classical sense of one. I am just wondering if we ever see his true heart... for now he just fits the stereotypical villain whom is easy to hate. However, never forget that villains can often be sympathized with, which seems to be the case here with BB.

Gcat88
March 12, 2010, 08:08 AM
I dont know if anyone here watches wrestling entertainment, but BB is the classic Heel. He is the guy that is made to be hated. He has everything he needs to dominate the word!! its also a way to show how much farther the main guy has to change to win the title, in this case the PK title.

Yans86
March 13, 2010, 07:41 AM
Bad guys aren't necessarily meant to be hated or disliked!!Beside BB,I can list many bad guys that I loved!!
ex.Cell,Freezer,Majin bu in DGZ
.Dio Brando and King crimson in JOJO
.Gin Ichimaru in BLEACH
.Lord Grifith in BERSERK
ecc...ecc....

kuropop
March 22, 2010, 05:08 PM
BB is a BIG BASTARD, but he is type of bastard that you will like bacause he is The Best in what he doing.:kukuku:kukuku