PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Do your parents watch anime?

Dive
March 09, 2010, 09:24 PM
Since I'm watching my DVR'd episodes of Monster right now, I was wondering if anyone's parents watch any anime. This comes to mind because my mom watches Monster with me every week. She also really enjoys watching Miyazaki films too.

Akiyama
March 09, 2010, 09:42 PM
Considering my parents told me "What's so special about those cartoon books" this answer is a hell no for me. :rofl
Well, they have watched some Pixar movies if you want to take it a broad view. They would never be interested in anime.

Drmke
March 09, 2010, 10:21 PM
Ha no not even a little. My mom watched Pokemon with me when I was little for like the first 5 minutes before she called it dumb and left the room. My whole family still can't rap their heads around my "backwards books".

Bugzee
March 09, 2010, 10:30 PM
NO.

My parents think both anime and manga are for kids. Whenever they see me reading/watching it, they say to me "you should grow up and stop watching Japanese cartoons" LOL! or they keep bringing up Uni "how's studying going, are you up to date with all your work" and stuff like that. :darn I've tried explaining it to them but they just don't get it/believe me.

cut3
March 10, 2010, 12:52 AM
my mum tells why i waste my time watching spike haired kids XD

silver_soul
March 10, 2010, 02:40 AM
lool.same here but one time my brother put spirited away on the big tele and we all watched it and enjoyed it.needless to say, it was a special moment,haha.other than that,never.

AnkorSVK
March 10, 2010, 03:32 AM
NO.

My parents think both anime and manga are for kids. Whenever they see me reading/watching it, they say to me "you should grow up and stop watching Japanese cartoons" LOL! or they keep bringing up Uni "how's studying going, are you up to date with all your work" and stuff like that. :darn I've tried explaining it to them but they just don't get it/believe me.

Well i think its the same by almost all 18+ here im also not an exeption.I experienced something like that.

Now its like a quiet agreement i do wnatever i want and they do their own stuff so noone asks noone comments.
Well manga-anime is a reason why i started drawing again so they are happy that i do not sit the whole day in the front of the computer or TV anymore XD

Gcat88
March 10, 2010, 09:49 AM
My dad says i need to do better myself rather than watching japanese cartoons. i dont know about you guys, but i will be a parent that WATCHES anime!!!!! and one thing is for sure as soon as i see my kid watching a dubbed series ill turn off the tv and show him real voice actors!!!!

shaheer
March 11, 2010, 09:23 AM
the hell with it, both of them are totally against anime and manga

LilaChan
March 11, 2010, 12:32 PM
Erm...My parents doesn't mind watching Detective Conan, they actually enjoy it with all the different cases and so on. My mum enjoys movies by Studio Gihibi...she always says My Neighbour Totoro is really good.

My parent's doesn't really mind me watching anime, suprisingly enough. I have no idea why they don't say much about it. I do try and hide certain animes from my parents.

As long as I get good grades they wouldn't say much I guess...

Dive
March 11, 2010, 01:55 PM
Looks like we're an oddity, Lila, haha! My parents don't care what I'm into. They realize they're just cartoons and drawings (although, I won't be showing them my copies of MPD Psycho anytime soon). They know I'm a nerd, but it isn't all I do (they might get a bit upset if all my time was devoted to something like anime/manga).

TemplateR
March 12, 2010, 04:22 AM
My grandmother only watch my AMV´s and are mostly surprised about the product of my doing xD

My parents doesn´t watch any cartoons or animes more. They are, for theirself said, to old.

shaheer
March 12, 2010, 07:29 AM
well in my family if any one watches anime they r my cousins, and they were the ones who introduced me to anime
though my mom once watched Grave of the fire flies , and she said it was really good.

Blackthornhiei
March 14, 2010, 12:58 AM
My mom used to wonder what I found interesting about anime and manga, when all of a sudden I caught her watching Pokemon daily. Then she told me she used to watch the original Astroboy when she was a kid and enjoyed it a lot.

She watched all of Fullmetal Alchemist when it aired on local tv (even cried on that scene), some Rave and some Cyborg 009. She watched some Gundam SEED with me and has asked when will we watch more (but she has to me on a special mood).

She's more of a gamer, though.

My dad used to be the one that told me to grow up and stop watching cartoons, and that that stuff wasn't for ladies. But recently he's been trying to understand what exactly is it that I like.

Gcat88
March 15, 2010, 07:07 AM
Since 99.99999999999999% of us have gone through this thing of having our parents tell us to not watch anime because it is stupid or it wont help us grow, or some other lame excuse, do you guys, and girls, think that with your own kids you will be more tolerant with what they watch??

P.S. I will.

strawhatsarah
March 15, 2010, 07:15 AM
Babe, did you mean less tolerant? I think thats what you meant.

I will be just as tolerant as my parents. They never once told me to stop watching a program, or anime. The only times they did is when it was sexually graphic, overly violent, or bad language. They stopped with that, however, once I was 13 or so.

Dive
March 15, 2010, 12:40 PM
I don't want kids, but assuming I do, it just depends on how much my kid matures growing up. As long as I know they can distinguish fantasy from reality, then I really do not care what they watch. That's how my mom was. She never cared what my brother and I watched because we knew it was just a movie, a TV show, a video game, etc, and that we were smart enough to not imitate it once we got to a certain age.

shaheer
March 16, 2010, 11:36 AM
i d like them (if any ever) to watch anime, as long as they r doing good with their studies

Mushashi
March 21, 2010, 12:02 AM
my mum liked grave of the fireflies and watched astro boy and gigantor as a kid. R.I.P

BBB Banana
March 21, 2010, 10:38 PM
My parents don't watch anime but one of my father's friends does. He's allways talking about anime whit me when he's at my place and he's more than 40.

chichiri_chan
March 23, 2010, 06:58 PM
Pretty much everyone in my family watches anime, including my parents. My father's seen almost as much anime as I have. (He's even cosplayed, bless his heart!) My mother isn't as into anime, so she's only watched a few series (anything Miyazaki, Pandora Hearts, Fushigi Yuugi, Bleach, and Death Note). When my teenage sister was a baby we had anime and J-pop going so much that she actually learned Japanese first even though we're an English-speaking family. Sadly, she forgot almost all of it when we decided we needed to cut back on the anime. ^^;

Arch!
March 24, 2010, 12:21 AM
My parents don't watch anime, but they don't have a problem with it. My dad used to rib me a bit for watching Inuyasha, but it was always good natured (and, let's face it, well deserved!).

goldb
March 28, 2010, 09:24 AM
As far as parents go, mine didn't watch anime/cartoons with us children growing up, but once when I was about 17 and was watching One Piece seemed interested and asked me what the story was about, then as I was explaining she had already left the room.

As for my own kids, I pretty much agree with what Dive said; as long as they can distinguish between fantasy and reality then it's fine.

Kaiten
March 28, 2010, 12:13 PM
My parents watched anime when they were kids without realizing it: Astroboy, Gigantor, and Speed Racer were all popular cartoons in the 60's. They haven't watched anything since, I'm not sure they actually know what anime or manga is.

Organizized
March 29, 2010, 05:34 PM
Not sure about my dad.. but my mum was the one who took me with her to see Spirited Away in theatres, though. I was probably 10 or so at the time and that's when I first really got into anime (I had read Dragonball, but never heard of the terms anime and manga).

After that I watched all Studio Ghibli's movies and my mum even bought me a box set of Miyazaki movies. I'm not sure she's seen any other anime movies, and sure as hell not series, but she still doesn't seem to have quite the "it's so childish and stupid"-attitude against the whole thing as many of you guys' parents seem to have. :tem

Y3llah
March 30, 2010, 02:46 PM
As for my mom, she doesn't watch anime in general, only Naruto. And I'm so proud of her. :D Dad, on the other hand, constantly makes fun of her because of that. :)

Revilenigma
April 04, 2010, 04:25 PM
My Dad introduced me to stuff from miyazaki and leiji matsumoto and other late 80's to early 90's animes when I was about 4 and my mom accidentally introduced me to ninja scroll at age 8.

p1xel
April 08, 2010, 02:05 PM
I don`t have that problem beacuse i just started watching anime and reading manga last december:P
YET:D
Oh and noone from my family read any mangas or something,just my 2 dumb brothers watched dragon ball with me(old times):P

Collide
April 11, 2010, 12:45 AM
hmmmm...yeah they do..so far the anime that they have watch are Pokemon, Atashin'chi and Susy and Marvy. They usually watch it with my annoying little beasts siblings

Ustegius
April 11, 2010, 09:28 PM
Not sure about my dad.. but my mum was the one who took me with her to see Spirited Away in theatres, though. I was probably 10 or so at the time and that's when I first really got into anime (I had read Dragonball, but never heard of the terms anime and manga).

After that I watched all Studio Ghibli's movies and my mum even bought me a box set of Miyazaki movies. I'm not sure she's seen any other anime movies, and sure as hell not series, but she still doesn't seem to have quite the "it's so childish and stupid"-attitude against the whole thing as many of you guys' parents seem to have. :tem

Similar story with me. My mother took me and my sister to see Spirited Away, and that's the first time I saw something that I recognized as 'anime' (First I ever saw was Totoro or Tanoshii no Moomin Ikka). She has also watched most of the Ghibli films, and keeps bugging me occassionally if there has been any new Ghibli DVD releases, so she can add those into her collection. Or when the next film is coming, and what it's about. I don't recall her any other anime though.

My dad has pretty neutral thoughts on anime. He has watched the Miyazaki films too, and remembers watching Astroboy as a kid. And sometimes if I watch anime he might also sit down and watch for a while. He actually liked some gory action bits (Hellsing) and mysteries (Paranoia Agent, Death Note), and surprisingly enough he said he also considered Satoshi Kon's films interesting (Millenium Actress, Tokyo Gofdathers)

niiica
April 12, 2010, 07:57 PM
My parents don't watch anime. But there was this one time I was watching Minami-ke and my mom watched an episode or two.

Kasu
April 19, 2010, 09:10 AM
My parents watched some of those WMT series together with me when I was a kid and sometimes also Pokémon or Sailor Moon.
But since I'm not a kid anymore there's no reason to control what I watch on TV ;)
And since they're both not into comics (and never were), they don't read any.

Ju-da-su
April 19, 2010, 11:47 AM
My dad actually did watch anime with me, even stuff like One Piece or Bleach some while back, probably because both my brother and I enjoyed them. He never really hates anime, at least as far as I recalled. In fact, I got that kind of feeling that he kind of likes One Piece (probably since he kept on saying Zoro's name when we mentioned something related to it...come to think of it now, I don't really know why it has to be Zoro either, since Zoro is never my favorite character in One Piece, neither is my brother's. ._."), though never was able to ask him for sure about that. Not my mom though, since my mom has that thought that watching anime is a waste of time for nothing. .-.

Negative Syndicate
April 20, 2010, 09:47 AM
My mother rarely reads/watches manga/animation, and she really doesn't mind me and my sister watching/reading them.

However, my father thinks manga/animation stuffs are too immature/stupid and wasting a valuable time. He treats me like 13 years old because I still read and watch them.

goldb
April 24, 2010, 04:42 AM
Yeah I remember my dad telling me to grow up and stop watching kids stuff :(...

niitoku
April 24, 2010, 05:02 AM
lol, my parents watches them with me, its just shows that shown in drawings thats all.
theres no difference to them XD

Googlez_kun
April 24, 2010, 07:57 AM
I wish they did...They still kind of see it as something for kids,so yeah...

Cotaku
June 04, 2010, 08:46 PM
My mom doesn't really care about what I do, I guess. She's never complained about it; but she's never watched it either.

My dad has called me a freak several times. And it hasn't been jokingly in a while.

Asarii
June 05, 2010, 10:21 PM
If it wasn't for my parents, I would never have been interested in anime and manga in the first place! My mom was a huge fan of Sailor Moon and used to talk about the series with her friends. She also watched Inuyasha, Detective Conan, and Twelve Kingdoms. (The first two because of my brother and I; the second because she was a fan of the book.) On the other hand, my dad's not that interested in anime/manga.

My mom read a lot of retro mangas when she was younger such as Cyborg 009. The most recent title she read was Death Note. In fact she loved Death Note so much that she read it twice.

nanaDmari
June 20, 2010, 05:06 PM
My father likes to watch soccer games and two or three series in tv... nothing more T~T
But my mother loves these kind of things XD
not only she watches anime and read manga, she also studies japanese... and sometimes she tries raw episodes and such... she also likes games... such a good friend she is... hehehe

My mom read a lot of retro mangas when she was younger such as Cyborg 009. The most recent title she read was Death Note. In fact she loved Death Note so much that she read it twice.
Mom was soooo possessive with Death Note... everytime I got home with a new volume she would take it to her room and wouldn't let anyone read it before her XD

My parents are 56 year old... what about yours? Younger parents might accept it more easily... at least is what I notice from my friends parents...

fullmoon
July 07, 2010, 12:54 PM
Do your parents watch anime?
Well, My parents said manga n anime is childish.
Even when I'm a child (11, I think..), I have to read Inuyasha inside a blanket with a flashlight so that my mum wouldn't recognize.
Laughing when ẹnoying manga/anime will be considered crazy in my house.

Much for the answer? :s

Gecko Moria
July 10, 2010, 05:19 AM
No, they think I'm wasting time watching anime and wasting money buying manga. But, interestingly, since I spend so much time on anime and manga they seem to have learned a some things about them (e.g. the boy can stretch like rubber is called Luffy :eyeroll) which is somewhat of a surprise to me since I never pay attention to what they're watching.

XxStrawberrySakura
January 27, 2012, 08:14 PM
If it wasn't for my parents, I would never have been interested in anime and manga in the first place! My mom was a huge fan of Sailor Moon and used to talk about the series with her friends. She also watched Inuyas ha, Detective Conan, and Twelve Kingdoms. (The first two because of my brother and I; the second because she was a fan of the book.) On the other hand, my dad's not that interested in anime/manga.

I love Sailor Moon, you mom sounds like me lol ^^ my parents say Im childish and I need to grow up but Im 19 I don't care lol I love the new sailor moon manga :D My only concern is when Im a parent I hope my kid doesn't think the same as my parents cause most likely Ill still watch anime and read manga when Im old lol maybe :)

MisaoFan
January 28, 2012, 03:45 AM
Yeah, but my parents (and my elder sister) only watches old animes (70s-80s-ish), arabic programs, dramas, news and documentaries, but I and my second older sister (who also watches sitcoms) watches recent anime. I showed some of my anime I liked to my sisters, then said they liked it. However, my parents hate hentai. When I watch anime that shows huge loads of fanservice like Yosuga no Sora, I hide with another webpage in order that my parents don't see when watching.

benelori
January 28, 2012, 04:14 AM
What a cool thread...well my parents aren't fans of what I do...I explained this entire phenomenon, and they understand what it is, it's just that they don't find it interesting enough I guess...my mom only watches television, because it helps her to go to sleep, and my dad watches news and sports...

I wonder though, what would've happened if I have gotten a lot earlier in this manga world, or maybe we had the manga culture more widespread here in the first place...I mean I watched Sailor Moon and my brother watched Pokemon, but it was counted as mere japanese cartoon...we had no idea what world is behind them

rudorofu
January 28, 2012, 09:19 PM
Absolutely not. They're very closed in terms of knowing the trends and fads of this generation; quite traditional and close minded about most stuff too XD The only other family member who watches anime is my older sister.

HegemonKhan
January 29, 2012, 04:54 AM
I think this entirely depends on how old (what generation) your parents-family-siblings (and thus you too) are, lol.

when you got parents who were around when there wasn't even tv at all... they either or both see anime as kiddish cartoons or filth (such as due to fan-service or adult topics, as again, to them any "cartoon" graphical medium, is a "cartoon" - a show for little kids to watch, and so having content that's for older ages disturbs them)...

They see the "cartoon" graphic medium of it, and ignorantly decide it's fr kids, refusing to actually watch and listen to it, or they do in denial, refusing to accept the sophicating, challenging, and provacative advanced and complex dialogue and content that makes you critically think just as much (actually more, lol) than other "grown-up" shows.

Naomidee
January 30, 2012, 12:46 AM
Neither of my parents watch anime or have ever read manga. My mom knows what Totoro and Sailor Moon are because I was obsessed with them as a kid. Although she doesn't really know anything else about it. My dad... It just wouldn't fit his personality. XD He loved the show Teen Titans when my little sisters were obsessed with it because he thought it was funny, but that's not anime.

My little sister watched Death Note and really loved it. She loved Sailor Moon when we were kids and all, but she's not really into it. We love Yugioh and yugioh abridged though!!! XD I really have no idea about my youngest sister. My older sister used to read a little manga here and there, but I don't think she ever really got into it. Her husband really loves Bleach, so I'm sure she watches that from time to time.

As far as anyone in my family saying I waste my time with manga or anime, they don't. My family is very accepting for the most part because we're all pretty weird. I sit at the top of that pyramid though. My dad would probably think it was a little weird, but he doesn't live with me anymore and doesn't know me all the well to even know I like it. I never talk about anime or manga with my family though. Can't miss the DGM novels lying on my desk and floor though. :p

Googlez_kun
January 30, 2012, 10:32 AM
My mom is sometimes watching Detective Conan on TV with us and I have a feeling she's starting to enjoy it.

Enn
February 02, 2012, 09:57 AM
No, but I rembeer I once showed to my mother Slam Dunk and I think she has taken an interest in it.