PDA

View Full Version : Review Chapter 577 review

Antares
March 13, 2010, 06:17 AM
Chapter 577. One Outrageous Development After Another

Scanlations from FrankyHouse

The cover displayed Zoro trying to be released from Chopper’s evil grip. The Tanuki was crying, though, apparently because both of them somehow got stuck in a lake full of crocodiles. The crocodiles also cried due to a lump of basal cell carcinoma growing on their heads. Or not.

Moving on to the content. The first sentence the general situation: The news spread around in an instant through newspaper, simple mouth-to-ear rumors or Denden Mushis. The strongest man in the world, meeting his end. And oh, how could so much bittersweet nostalgia glowed from Rayleigh’s expression and presence at that one moment.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/uyuu/u-1.jpg

The Dark King was already mourning for the death of a dear friend, silent tears welling and trembling in his eyes. It was almost crystal clear then to me that the old strongest Pirates like Whitebeard, Rayleigh, and Roger, reached to a point, a serenity where there was no clear line between friendship and enmity between them. The narration went on and summarized Pops’ last struggle in Marineford, while various big shots were showing their own concern about it. Hilarity, indifference, regret, disappointment, dissatisfaction. As WB Pirates proceedd to escape, Teach ordered his crew to “get something started”, and they spread some kind of black cloth covering Teach and Pops.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/uyuu/unt-1.jpg

Both WB Pirates and the marines question BB’s motive, but this just gained ignorance from his crew. Moreover, Catarina Devon seemed amused at what was going to happen next. A question from Shiryuu, “If he fails…do we all go our separate ways?” led me to think think that Blackbeard shaped his pirate crew by the basic fundamentals of nakama. He put them together, not by dictatorship like Lady Alvida or Eneru or Moria, but by trust and friendship and principles. They follow him as a captain and believed in his decision. All of them even had that happy-go-lucky thing demeanor going on already.

Don’t those premises remind us of something? The Strawhat Pirates. It depicted BB’s crew, unlike Shichibukai, as a solid team. And it seemed that they had faith in Teach’s ideals. What a frightening arsenal of final bosses, I’d say.

All the while, Buggy ran away from the battlefield, drowning in his fear of Pops, and again because of that precisely, his “new followers” admired him for that in a plumpy misunderstanding. Really, if it wasn’t for such a big thing happening, this chapter would be entitled, “One Misunderstanding Clown Fan After Another”.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/uyuu/un-1.jpg

Jimbei, on the other hand, was still carrying Luffy, trying to get him to safety when suddenly Aokiji iced the sea water surrounding the escaping ship. Akainu also appeared from under the groun to kill Luffy along with the Whale-shark Merman. The heated pre-fight conversation between those two was broken down when Iva suddenly jumped from nowhere with his-slash-her humongous head and Hell-Vinked Akainu. I figure he-slash-she must be mad, you know, about the “One Piece Biggest Head Award” being dramatically stolen by San Juan Wolf and all.

The scene changed. Epicness, what-the-fuk scale, incoming. Blacbeard emerged from the black cloth without any visible changes. Yet his crews were grinning happily as their captain demonstrated his Black Hole ability, followed through by none other than – yes it was not our fanfic talks – Whitebeard’s Gura Gura fist of quake! The blast once again took Marine headquarters as a victim to show us the magnitude of destruction Blackbeard now possessed. The whole Marineford grew shocked as BB held in each of his hands, the darkness and the quake.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/uyuu/unti-1.jpg

He now called himself the ultimate being. Quoted for the truth, I’d say.

It was one huge moment. We all know that Pops held the title of the strongest mostly because of his Fruit. Okay, he owned Haoushoku Haki, but the Quake was his battle signature. Combined with his fatherly nature, his character signature, this formula put us in awe of his figure. “Oh, the strongest! The quake haxx! Oh the manly, fatherly, self-sacrificing Pops!” roughly like that. We respect him greatly for that. But for the battle signature, his quake, to be transferred to a power-hungry pirate like Teach? It was for me a bold, death-defying stunt trick pulled, almost malevolently, by Oda. Even now, I can only see in my eyes quake powers to fit only Whitebeard’s charisma and father figure. Not Teach’s greed and conquest.

Teach, to me, had no right to absorb Pops’ powers, let alone use it to satisfy his ambition to become the god of new era. It somehow made Pops’ struggle and death seem empty. We thought, “There will be only one Whitebeard, the mighty Human Quake.” And suddenly Teach, by punching quakes throughout the headquarters, ruined all that sweetness. I hate, hate, HATE Blackbeard for that.

But on the other side, I saw Teach’s unrelenting effort to fulfill his dreams. I saw him planning to get the quake powers from Pops’ hands, yet realizing also that he and his crew would not be enough to defeat Pops. So he laid two plans at the same time, one being the other’s backup: Freeing the legendary Silver medalists and seizing someone who Pops care about the most. I saw Teach’s mind wheels turning and recognize the simple way to do both: Give Ace to the government. Gain WG’s trust. Make Pops retaliate. Borrow the power of Marines and Shichibukai. That two powerful force combined with level 6th inmates? He’d succeed. He knew he’d succeed. And the rest is history. I saw Teach’s clever and cunning plan rotating and Pops meeting his end, thus allowing Teach to consume his quake powers and take the throne of being the strongest. It was as if Teach spat on Pops’ grave and use Whitebeard himself as a part of him, to gobble up the world. And I love, love, LOVE Blackbeard for that.

It had been mentioned that one person could not get two Fruit powers or he/she’d die. But Marco said that there was “something different about his body”, that possibly was the cause Teach could manage to get Pops quake and not die. It might be his Yami Yami fruit, or it might be his “D”. Just pointing out the possibility I thought. But either way, I predict that this will be the first and last time Teach was able to absorb other Fruit’s power. Because he said “Finally have it!” indicating that all his plan seem to culminate in this moment. He must had saved this special consuming ability for ultimately this moment.

I certainly hope Oda doesn’t make Blackbeard absorbs every strong fruit ability because it would destroy the originality. And one more thing, if it was the “D”, I can imagine Luffy somehow in the future chapters getting the second “ability” from Roger’s spirit to hear “the voice of all things” and then becomes the only one who can face and defeat Blackbeard, becomes the Pirate King, and restores peace to the entire world from this age of Blackbeard, like he announced in the last page, “This is my age!!”

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/uyuu/untit.jpg

The Age of Darkness Quake.

Lord Rayleigh
March 13, 2010, 09:34 AM
The crocodiles are not crying and did not get hurt by Zoro, otherwise the picture does not make any sense.
Indeed, Zoro walks on their mouth, not their head, and all the crocodiles - the ones behind and in front of Zoro - have got this hump on the head. This means that even the next crocodile Zoro will walk on already has the hump : they are always like that.

bopnoh10
March 13, 2010, 04:36 PM
A couple comments. First of all, you said:

A question from Shiryuu, “If he fails…do we all go our separate ways?” led me to think think that Blackbeard shaped his pirate crew by the basic fundamentals of nakama. He put them together, not by dictatorship like Lady Alvida or Eneru or Moria, but by trust and friendship and principles.

I disagree with this. Shiryuu and BB's other new crew members aren't following BB because of trust and friendship. In fact, you could even argue that each member lacks those abilities considering that they are ready to just ditch BB if his plan fails. Rather, the new crew members are following BB because of (a) he's powerful and they are power hungry and/or (b) he's promised them something (it may have been freedom from Impel down).

Secondly, I question whether this "hear all things" ability is really a devil fruit. Remember that Enel "heard things" and it was because of his mastery of haki (whatever kind it is). I think that whatever Roger had, it is something that hasn't yet been revealed. I do believe that Dragon has either wind or storms, so if it is wind, it would be nice for Luffy to get storms. Also, no one (to my knowledge) has been shown to possess the logia for water or earth. I also think that it is debatable that WB had hakoushou haki, since he could have stopped the ace executioners, such as Luffy did, but he didn't. No one did. This could be for a variety of reasons or that even some of the big dogs (Marco, Vista, etc...) don't possess that type of haki. In my opinion, I think Hakoushou users possess all the other powers from other haki-types and have an additional few powers. We'll see... Either way, it is certainly exciting.

Nevertheless, I did think that it was a great review, especially the parts about both hating and loving BB (I totally agree!).

darknitemarch
March 13, 2010, 11:31 PM
I think the reason that Shiryuu said they would go their separate ways if Blackbeard failed is because BB would have died if his fruit stealing didn't work. (Due to the supposed one fruit limit.) I also agree with the fact that BB didn't force anyone to join his crew, I think they have the same dream based motivations that the Strawhats have.

Also, Oda mentioned WB having the Haoushoku several times, I think it's pretty much given.

bopnoh10
March 14, 2010, 01:12 AM
Why wouldn't they stay together even if BB died then?

Also, can you point out the examples of where it's stated that WB has haoushoku haki?

Lord Rayleigh
March 14, 2010, 05:59 AM
What Shiryuu said only means that BB could have died during the process. It was not absolutely sure that BB could eat a second DF and be fine with it. Indeed, the rule of DF is that if you eat a second one, you will die.
It's normal that Shiryuu asked the question, especially when the BB pirates were at the middle of the war in MHQ, with Admirals, Vice-Admirals, Shichibukais and WB pirates around them. BB is the captain and thus the only one that gathered all those people : ID lvl 6 prisoners and his normal crew.
His question was if BB failed (and died), what would we do ? He wanted to know if they (ID lvl 6 prisoners + classical crew) would try to survive together or if they would split and save their ass on their own.

Antares
March 14, 2010, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the comments, all. :amuse

Lord Rayleigh, i'm sure i saw the crocodiles crying. So, are the humps natural, then?

bopnoh10, i still think BB got em together by ideals. Remember they're legendary 6th level inmates, silver medalists. The "previous" BB, they can handle. So it's not about power or strength. But they still follow him even though they know they can fight BB. So why did a man like Shiryuu said "I've been waiting for a man of your stature"? Is it power? If by any chance, for example, Shiryuu didn't have Devil Fruit and is just insanely strong like Mihawk, what would BB's Kurouzu good against him? Nothing. The question "if he fails...do we all go our separate ways?" meant they wouldn't know what to do, what to aim for, if BB dies. They need him as a leader. It's ideals. They know: this Teach is special, even before he get the quake. But now, after the quake, they know more than ever, alright. "A man's dream will never end."

taken from onemanga, was it FrankyHouse's scanlation?

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/uyuu/02.jpg

Jiggy-Ninja
March 16, 2010, 06:03 PM
Why wouldn't they stay together even if BB died then?

Also, can you point out the examples of where it's stated that WB has haoushoku haki?
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/570/02/

A more literal translation, from the below raw: "That's the same 'Haoushoku Haki' that Pops and Red Hair have."

http://mangahelpers.com/downloads/read-online/69767/2

So Shanks and Whitebeard are both confirmed to have Haoushoku Haki.
[hr]

What Shiryuu said only means that BB could have died during the process. It was not absolutely sure that BB could eat a second DF and be fine with it. Indeed, the rule of DF is that if you eat a second one, you will die.
It's normal that Shiryuu asked the question, especially when the BB pirates were at the middle of the war in MHQ, with Admirals, Vice-Admirals, Shichibukais and WB pirates around them. BB is the captain and thus the only one that gathered all those people : ID lvl 6 prisoners and his normal crew.
His question was if BB failed (and died), what would we do ? He wanted to know if they (ID lvl 6 prisoners + classical crew) would try to survive together or if they would split and save their ass on their own.
"Failure" doesn't just mean that he failed to hold both Fruits in his body at the same time (and thus, blew up). It could also mean that he failed to complete the transfer at all.

Lord Rayleigh
March 18, 2010, 03:04 PM
Lord Rayleigh, i'm sure i saw the crocodiles crying. So, are the humps natural, then?

I think they are, especially when you see that the crocodile in the foreground seems scared : he knows it's going to be his turn and that Zoro will walk on him, and yet he already has his hump.

Leonsagara
March 27, 2010, 03:32 AM
About the crocodiles, I think it's more logical that Zoro beat them up and forced them to line up for him, using Chopper as a translator.

Lord Rayleigh
March 27, 2010, 05:30 AM
About the crocodiles, I think it's more logical that Zoro beat them up and forced them to line up for him, using Chopper as a translator.
Then why Chopper is still scared about the crocodiles, and why the crocodile in the foreground is stil scared about Zoro coming towards him ?

damane08
April 02, 2010, 12:37 AM
after reading the chapter again where luffy unleashes his haki, I can't help but assume that dragon has the same type of haki that luffy has. obviously this is just speculation but based on what Ivankov says: at the top (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/570/04/)
I will continue to assume that he does.

I just realized that a member of WB's crew stated that WB had the king's haki, yet the guy never used it once...... maybe his version would be stronger than luffy's and not only knock some marines out but also some of his crew members? maybe that's why he didn't do it?