PDA

View Full Version : How did Luffy's guard drop?

Toxic_
March 27, 2010, 08:34 AM
as the title says, i was wondering how aikanu caught luffy by surprise, although its drawn in chapter 573 on pages 14-15 specifically i really cant understand what happened in the space of a few pictures, can anyone explain what the main reason for luffy's lack of awareness of what is happening around him on the battlefield?

Duc :D
March 27, 2010, 08:44 AM
I don't understand the question

as you can see in the panel above jimbei noticed luffy is at his limits plus luffy was picking up Ace's Vivre Card. Another question is what was luffy supposed to do? He wasn't gear 2 mode to dodge and Fire or in this case could be seen as natural opponent to rubber.

last but not least the most important point: Ace would have protected Luffy in any case simply to protect his lil beloved Brother.

Toxic_
March 27, 2010, 08:48 AM
my question is why isnt luffy paying attention to his surroundings , and allowed aikanu to surprise him? if you look at the bottom left panel you can see luffy's face "surprised" that he is being attacked.

my question is why is he suprised? is it because he is tired or does dropping the vivre card and trying to pick it up got something to do with it?

bittman
March 27, 2010, 07:02 PM
How do you put up a guard when you've been running on nothing more than adrenaline for 5 hours?

I don't know about you, but when I get physically wasted and feel like I can't stand, usually the arms are the first things that drop.

Seemed to me that when Luffy fell he couldn't even stand, but he did want to pick up Ace's card before leaving anyway.

You could also argue that Luffy believes Ace is many leagues above his own strength and holds somewhat of an admiration to his older brother. So when an admiral turns up, Luffy basically believed Ace would hold him off.

And on the other flip side, you could just say that Akainu is a bit faster than a slug and it went something like this:
1) Luffy falls
2) Akainu pounces on fallen Luffy
3) Ace gets fisted

Luffy may be fast, but he's not some dragonballZ saiyan with instant transmission. Akainu didn't trangress to some sort of inner monologue. It was basically a follow up attack on someone who had already fallen from fatigue.

Uriel
March 28, 2010, 10:45 AM
Plot device :D