PDA

View Full Version : Question Did Blackbeard fight Shanks before he had his own crew?

kulugo
April 02, 2010, 07:31 AM
what i know is blackbeard fought shanks when shanks doesnt have his own crew. hence the pirate flag of shanks. maybe he fought BB when he was still in rogers crew.

Bugzee
April 02, 2010, 02:22 PM
I think your title should be changed to: "BB Vs. Shanks...destined to meet and fight again?" Sounds good to me. :smile-big

It's all about that aching scar imo. :D

Well, Shanks already had the scar back when he met Luffy in East Blue (http://www.mangafox.com/manga/one_piece/v01/c001/10.html). (Funny panel :XD) It's hard to say when he gained that scar from BB. Shanks could've got it from fighting the WB Pirates with his own crew or when he was still part of Roger's crew. He didn't have it back when we saw him and Buggy in a flashback against WB but you never know, he might've gained it later on. The WB pirates fought many battles against Roger's crew so we can't determine yet whether Shanks gained it while he was part of Roger's crew or not. It would be interesting if he gained that infamous scar from BB after the Roger pirates disbanded imo.

No doubt about it. They do have some kind of history together. To me Shanks seems to read a lot of people well in the OP world.

The way BB shrugged off Red Hair's invitation to fight with him one on one; I would say they're destined to meet up in the future. Whether it will lead to an all out war between the two crews?! I don't know tbh.

EDIT: The scar is kinda key to knowing more about BB imo. The scar consists of three lines across Red Hair's eye. Whenever I see that, it reminds me of an animal (a dog or something) that has scratched Shanks on the face. Maybe, BB already has three df abilities? :s To me it's looking more like he does already have a third ability which may have been the first fruit he ate. Just a thought...

Akainu
April 03, 2010, 06:33 AM
Thread renamed for better understanding

Well, Shanks sadly was not shown properly in chapter 0 at all:
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/565.5/14/
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/565.5/20/

around 10 years later he definately had it though, so it could well have happend during a confrontation between Shanks and Whitebeards crew later on as Shanks rose to power.
And he could well have adapted his pirateflag after that incident, not likely, but maybe, since Shanks characterizing feature is his red hair and back in the day, his strawhat!

Samui
April 03, 2010, 06:44 AM
Do you really think Shanks would've confronted Whitebeard more than 10 years ago? /:
He probably got the scar in his days as a rookie, during one of Roger vs Whitebeard fights.

Akainu
April 03, 2010, 06:47 AM
well, you know that Whitebeard has a huge crew and some territory, so it is imo thoroughly possible that the division Backbeard was in fought Shanks somewhen over some little island or a treasure or wahtever else there might be as a reason;

Bugzee
April 03, 2010, 01:03 PM
It's possible that Buggy witnessed that infamous BB & Shanks confrontation! I have a feeling that he is well aware of the history behind that scar. I don't think Shanks got it when he was just a rookie. I believe he got the scar when he was in his early days as captain of the Red Hair Pirates. Aaargh , it's so damn tough to figure it out atm. :darn

Organizized
April 03, 2010, 09:13 PM
Thread renamed for better understanding

Well, Shanks sadly was not shown properly in chapter 0 at all:
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/565.5/14/
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/565.5/20/

There is one, panel, actually, where you can see his face:
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/565.5/08/

No scars there. Still, that only lets us know that he didn't have them two years before the Roger pirates disbanded, and he could easily have gotten them in a fight versus WB pirates in those two years.

Looking at the other few shots of him in Roger's crew;

This (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/19/12/), I would think, is earlier in the story. Mostly due to how the appearances of the crew in that chapter have changed in chapter 0 and the way the crew talks about Devil Fruits (as if they're rumors, not sure they really exist..).

This (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/434/10/) is in a flashback and could be any time the Roger Pirates fought the Whitebeard pirates.

There might be more than those three, and I might be incorrect, but I think what we know at this point is that he got them sometime between 3 years before Roger died and 10 years before the current timeline (12 years after Roger's death).. and that's it. We can't place his battle with Blackbeard anywhere more specific than between years 1497 and 1512..

Marche
April 04, 2010, 03:25 PM
what i know is blackbeard fought shanks when shanks doesnt have his own crew. hence the pirate flag of shanks. maybe he fought BB when he was still in rogers crew.I also after having seen Shank's flag (before of his arriving I don't remember his flag, his mark) think than He take that scar when he was in Roger's ship, when he was a rookie.
Because if BB given that Scar when he was already a Younkou, his name will became famous (almost a little famous).

zapman
April 07, 2010, 07:43 AM
im thinking that oda drew shanks with the scar before he even thought of blackbeard doing it.

bittman
April 07, 2010, 08:01 AM
Here's a theory:

What if Blackbeard is like Shanks' boogey-man? Like the one guy who totally defeated Shanks when he was a rookie (or part of Roger's posse) and has set a deep seated fear inside him?

I mean, we are talking about the strong-willed, all-powerful, Luffy-loving red haired here, but what if it's not just a "long standing grudge" against Blackbeard, but a fear Shanks has of him from his days as a youngster.

Perhaps think of it this way: Robin has a deep seated fear of Aokoji. Though it seems to have cleared a bit near the end of W7/EL arc, every time he appears she breaks out into a sweat. A buster call has a similar effect. Even if she's one day powerful enough to take on either of these forces, she still has a fear of it.

Even though Shanks is an honorable and incredibly brave character, and it's hard to imagine him with a childish fear like this, it's hard to say exactly how deep the scar is. If it's just a reminder of one of many defeats, it should mean just as much as any other scar. But if it's a reminder of something more painful (emotionally), then it's a scar that can only be covered, but never healed.

Just a theory. Shanks lovers (read: most of you) won't like this heresy of Shanks being afraid of Blackbeard.

Duc :D
April 07, 2010, 08:30 AM
His actions from the lates chapter show the oppsite to me... challenging the whole battlefield to fight them.

chess4
April 07, 2010, 08:49 AM
this is what i think................since WB crew is so large im sure he sent his different divisions on seperate missions. maybe the red hairs had a scuffle with the 2nd division, before ace became their commander. it hasnt been explained how long the 2nd division was without a commander before ace became it.

i figure they came across each other when the red hairs were still relatively unknown and shanks took on BB

zapman
April 07, 2010, 01:36 PM
I take back what i said earlier, I was just rewatching some early eps when Luffy first met Blackbeard at jaya.

When Blackbeard is following him into the upstream he has 3 skulls on his ships flag, reminded me of the shanks 3 scars.

Poneglyph420
April 07, 2010, 09:03 PM
I actually like Bittman's theory about Shanks being fearful of Teach. It does seem that they do have more history than we can assume. I'm not sure if it's as much illogical fear or a logical fear... (clear headed and aware, not paralyzed but hyper aware..)

Many think the scars were made between the point that Roger's crew disbanded and Shanks formed his crew. But I'm not sure quite yet.. It's natural that Shanks would have likely had the scar before he made his flag.. but that's not proof enough.. The flag could have been changed once Shanks made a name for himself in the NW and was titled "yonkou".

And either way it must of been during a clash with WB and associates, and that's clearly more likely in the NW.. SO on that logic I'd say it happened early in the life of the RH crew... before Shanks was quite as respected as he is now....

An interesting side note... not only does BB have 3 skulls as a flag, but three pistols down his pants....

bittman
April 08, 2010, 02:26 AM
An interesting side note... not only does BB have 3 skulls as a flag, but three pistols down his pants....

...someone mentioned a Cerberus fruit ages back...the more I read stuff like this the more I'm liking it...

And my theory is majorly based off wanting a strong character to have an illogical weakness. Heaven forbid I'd want people with weaknesses =P

That and I can imagine BB the Boogeyman

gao_dargon
April 11, 2010, 12:54 AM
the only thing i can argue about bittman theory is that Shanks openly challenged BB to a fight and it was Teach who backed away (and he looked kind of scared if you ask me) wich only makes me think that Shanks is even stronger than WB at least at the moment WB was old and sick im not saying in his prime, but i digress, of Teach, the thing is hat he knows how strong he was/is/will be, and being in Rogers crew might have giving him a better understanding of the D's so he is being cautionus about him

bittman
April 11, 2010, 07:11 AM
Well it's interesting you bring up that page, because when I read it this was my impression:

Shanks had told everyone "if you fight, you'll have to answer to me" with a quiet determination. But then he looked at Blackbeard specifically and we got a dark close up of his scar. Oda typically uses this sort of dark shadow to illustrate a feeling of hatred or murderous intent, something very unlike Shanks. Sure, Shanks is a pirate and almost every pirate has a "evil face", but it almost felt like Shanks was hoping Blackbeard would attack.

I wouldn't say BB was scared, I mean we're talking about the guy who was taking on Garp + Sengoku only a moment before and who just found himself a brand spanking new crew of silver medalists. It's not like he couldn't have held his own against the redhaired pirates. Despite BB being very opportunistic, he still has plans and smarts about him. I doubt simply freeing four prisoners and getting WB's fruit is the end of his plan, merely a midpoint. If BB returned to his wits, he'd realise there's still so much more for him to do in the long run.

But I'm getting sidetracked here. Just basically saying that I interpreted their most recent interaction as Shanks actually wanting to fight Blackbeard (which could be more than simple revenge for a small scar) and Blackbeard simply deciding it was a wise move to retreat rather than fight on two fronts.

gao_dargon
April 11, 2010, 01:24 PM
yes, i agree BB reatreat not because an irrational fear, but more out of a smart and sharp move, still, that dosen't mean he was not scared, he took WB on the fron, thinking he could take it, it was only when WB was about to kill him that he showed fear and even pleged (some might argue this was sarcasm on his part) for his live, but with shanks, he baked away knowing it was not a place to fight, and yes, he was going to take Sengoku and Grap at the same time, but so was Shanks, and the hole army of marines said no, Shanks is a really scary fellow, and about Shanks not being portraid as a character with murderous intent, if we go back to the first chapters, it was Lucky Roux (the fat guy of shanks crew) that comited the first murder in all one piece, and Shanks just shruged it of saying he was a pirate not a priest, he also show his haki with murderous rage at the seaking that was going to eat Luffy, ok so it took his arm, but i think killing WB and Ace will preaty much set shanks on fire the same or more than cuting his arm off (even if it was his good arm)

chess4
April 11, 2010, 01:58 PM
yes, i agree BB reatreat not because an irrational fear, but more out of a smart and sharp move, still, that dosen't mean he was not scared, he took WB on the fron, thinking he could take it, it was only when WB was about to kill him that he showed fear and even pleged (some might argue this was sarcasm on his part) for his live, but with shanks, he baked away knowing it was not a place to fight, and yes, he was going to take Sengoku and Grap at the same time, but so was Shanks, and the hole army of marines said no, Shanks is a really scary fellow, and about Shanks not being portraid as a character with murderous intent, if we go back to the first chapters, it was Lucky Roux (the fat guy of shanks crew) that comited the first murder in all one piece, and Shanks just shruged it of saying he was a pirate not a priest, he also show his haki with murderous rage at the seaking that was going to eat Luffy, ok so it took his arm, but i think killing WB and Ace will preaty much set shanks on fire the same or more than cuting his arm off (even if it was his good arm)

yes, BB is no dummy. BB cant risk the rest of the red hairs jumping on him as well, plus the marines may interfere.