PDA

View Full Version : Theory Smoker's Crew to match Luffy's

bittman
April 05, 2010, 07:07 PM
A while ago I made a remark when people were obviously comparing Blackbeard's 10-man crew to the Strawhat's currently 9 person crew. My remark was basically that Smoker would also have a crew about this big in the future, since I'm a firm believer that Smoker will quite possibly be the final marine enemy. Or at least have an arc dedicated just to the battle between them.

Oda has left some hints (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/439/17/)that a major clash between Smoker and Luffy will be coming.

So this got me thinking. If Commodore Smoker made himself a "crew" of marines to directly challenge the Strawhats, what would be the makeup of the crew?

Currently the crew is:
Smoker
Tashigi

My guesses:
Hina
Jango + Fullbody
Coby + Helmeppo

But even with those obvious guesses, a lot of the "potential crew" is missing. Who do you think would fit best into a Smoker-led crew? Or perhaps what sort of "crew" would you expect Smoker to perhaps be a part of instead? Curious to see what suggestions people might have.

Roarchu
April 05, 2010, 07:32 PM
I always thought that if they fought it'd be more like the second fight of Kenshin and Aoshi, a battle in between an arc kind of

and I don't know about who else could be there, let me think, definetely not any of those absolute justice ones tho

Organizized
April 05, 2010, 08:36 PM
Do the marines have "crews" in the same way as pirates, though? Ah, well considering they do, your suggestions make sense.

It's never been more clear that there are different kinds of marines, the good ones and the "blinded-by-justice" ones, especially after chapter 579. Tashigi and (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/579/07/) Smoker (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/579/08-09/), and definitely Coby (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/579/12/) are obviously to be considered the "good" ones. They have a different perspective on "evil" and "justice" than most marines, following their own brand of justice rather than "Absolute Justice".

So Smoker's crew would consist of marines of that caliber. Thing is, though, there aren't many of those. The ones that come to mind are Saul who is dead and Garp who obviously can't be "under" Smoker in a crew since he's of higher rank. Other than those, I can't think of many who have shown a side like that. Perhaps Captain T-Bone, but I'm not sure. I remember him babbling a lot about justice, but I still seem to recall him being a good guy. Haven't read that arc in a while, though.

Also, Jango and Fullbody might not exactly be the same "type of marines" as Smoker, but what the hell, a little comedy relief is needed in every crew, and they'd do whatever Hina says, so they'd probably fit right in. :tem

bittman
April 05, 2010, 08:55 PM
A good point, Smoker would basically represent the antithesis of the majority of the marine force's "Absolute Justice". No idea what we can call that, but basically it would most likely be a group of people who are quite likeminded to individuals such as Garp or Aokoji (of course, two people who are "above" Smoker in rank). And, maybe largely thanks to the corruption in East Blue and the dark justice of Enies Lobby, but we haven't seen enough of these "pure" marines around.

"Pure Justice" ?

Anyway, it is also highly plausible Smoker battles Luffy 1 v 1 quite early and never gets a crew. I just have a good hunch that Smoker will build a force to match the Strawhat's, because even Smoker knows he can't beat all of them. Heck in 3 (or so) encounters, despite Smoker being at an obvious advantage, he has been unable to cause any real damage to Luffy or capture him because 1 person will block him.

If only to keep the rest of the SH's busy whilst he focuses on Luffy, Smoker will need a crew. It might not be a very high level one, or it might be one that undergoes constant growth. A marine group that keeps up with Luffy rather than starting 30 levels above.

Poneglyph420
April 05, 2010, 11:32 PM
I'm not sure if it's the best terminology, but I've always called Smoker's "faction" the "Moral Justice" element in the Marines. It's not definite but in the last chapter we see Hina, Tashigi and Smoker all in the same frame. Perhaps it's foreshadowing to something or maybe not..
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/580/12/

But I'd suspect following WG protocol up to now.
Smoker could have a few useful allies (Coby, Helmeppo, Tashigi, maybe not as a "task force" member Aokiji..)
But will likely have commander level fodders to fill the ranks.
(I'd like to see guys like that rust guy (EL) or guys like him in the crew)
It seems to me that Smoker is focused of Luffy, so however the other SH can be contained he'd likely be ok with it..

I think Smoker will end up having quite a serious force assigned to him..
Maybe through this we will also end up seeing Vegapunk, and some of his creations. Maybe a "science unit" adds to the crew.....
or not.

bittman
April 06, 2010, 01:07 AM
Well many good antagonists are introduced in the arc where they shine for the first and last time, so I don't expect us to be able to piece together Smoker's entire crew right now.

I also wonder exactly whether or not Smoker will have "commodore-level fodder" around to use? He is only a commodore himself? If he's a vice-admiral when he next battles Luffy, it wouldn't be strange enough to believe he fights alongside fellow vice-admirals.

vagabond87
April 06, 2010, 02:43 AM
He probably will be Vice-Admiral soon after the war because of Garps "retirement" and because he is Logia user.. So he will brobably get what Garp have- crew under him with some fodder capitan-level marines and ofcourse Coby and Helmeppo.

Lord Rayleigh
April 06, 2010, 03:42 AM
I don't know if Smoker will be Vice-Admiral. He is not famous among the marines as he never was at MHQ before and no one was able to recognize him when he fought against Luffy and Hancock.
And we don't know if you can go from Commodore to Vice-Admiral. I think in the marine organization, you have to be Rear-Admiral before being Vice-Admiral. After all, they are the highest ranks and you probably can't skip them like the low ones.

I'm sure Akainu - who may become Admiral-in-Chief - will look for Coby and Helmeppo, try to know who they are to sentence them to death. The only solution for them will be to leave MHQ and go to NW. That's why Garp will ask Smoker to take them with him and they will end up in his crew.
Besides, Coby said to Luffy they'll meet in NW. And so far the only marine crew that has been said to want to go to NW was Smoker's.

If Garp retires, what will happen of Bogard (http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Bogart) ? Will he command the troops that Garp was leading ? I'm sure we will learn about him and that's why he must join Smoker. That's necessary because Tashigi will never be enough strong for Zoro : she will only become an opponent for Brook.
Bogart has been the right-hand of Garp for 25 years at least (he was shown in Chapter 0 with Garp 3 years before Roger's death), so I guess he is an amazing swordman and he will be Zoro's opponent from Smoker's crew.

It is also symbolic that Coby, Helmeppo and Bogart join Smoker : Smoker will thus " inherit " Garp's will and be for Luffy what Garp was for Roger.

Spaceman-Spiff
April 06, 2010, 01:06 PM
Currently the crew is:
Smoker
Tashigi

My guesses:
Hina
Jango + Fullbody
Coby + Helmeppo

Aside from Smoker, they're all too weak... I'm not even sure if they can take on Chopper 1vs1. Not even sure if Smoker is stronger than a vice admiral at this point...

If, hypothetically, the marines want to make a crew/team to match up the straw hats it will have to be a team filled with vice admirals (at least). I notice that a lot of vice admirals carry swords, they will be good opponents for Zoro.

The guy who can turn metal to rust can be Franky's opponent ^^

chess4
April 06, 2010, 02:23 PM
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/439/17/

smoker said he needs more rank to do what he wants to do. if im not mistaken VA have a lot of freedom, but not with all the responsibility of admirals.

plot wise smoker has to be promoted, and its so obvious with these . tashigi will obviously go with him. koby and helmelppo will go there as well either with garp or smoker.

Jorge D. Dragon
April 06, 2010, 02:28 PM
If Luffy masters Haki, or better to say when, Smoker won't be a problem for him. I think like this, because the only problem for Lyffy to take out Logias is that hi just can't hit them, but Haki can help him. Also his fisical strength fits good to make rather powerful characters shit breaks.
All other members from the Smoker's crew are very weak. There is no problem for Luffy's crew to take them out.

Fox666
April 06, 2010, 02:32 PM
Aside from Smoker, they're all too weak... I'm not even sure if they can take on Chopper 1vs1. Not even sure if Smoker is stronger than a vice admiral at this point...

If, hypothetically, the marines want to make a crew/team to match up the straw hats it will have to be a team filled with vice admirals (at least). I notice that a lot of vice admirals carry swords, they will be good opponents for Zoro.

The guy who can turn metal to rust can be Franky's opponent ^^Coby and Helmeppo had a interesting fight with Luffy and Zoro. I think they could be a match for the SW outside the monster trio.

Hmm, Tashigi is not that weak, but she couldn't do anything against Robin back in Arabasta. So she doesn't seem to be a dangerous opponent for anyone of the Strawhats in the current level.

Jango e Fullbody are really weak. The only opponent they could have is if Usopp would fight without any weapon or item... or if Chopper was forced to fight without Rumble Ball and is his chibi form...

Poneglyph420
April 06, 2010, 03:15 PM
If Luffy masters Haki, or better to say when, Smoker won't be a problem for him. I think like this, because the only problem for Lyffy to take out Logias is that hi just can't hit them, but Haki can help him. Also his fisical strength fits good to make rather powerful characters shit breaks.
All other members from the Smoker's crew are very weak. There is no problem for Luffy's crew to take them out.

Well physical is the word your after, I guess........

And as the SH have progressed throught the GL haven't they grown?
So why wouldn't the Marines chasing him??

Also when Luffy and Smoker met in Marineford Luffy mentions how Smoker has improved..

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/559/14/

So if others are progressing, wouldn't the others follow suit??
I really think that's why they have only had brief encounters...

Both sides need experience and development...

Spaceman-Spiff
April 06, 2010, 03:47 PM
Coby and Helmeppo had a interesting fight with Luffy and Zoro. I think they could be a match for the SW outside the monster trio.

I don't know... they were both beaten in 1 move. So far their only technique that we know of is Soru. And after fighting the CP9, I'm sure the straw-hats won't have any problems beating these two.

I can see Nami vs Hina though.

Wrath
April 06, 2010, 03:51 PM
I predicted a year or two ago that Smoker would assemble the Bizarro Straw Hats. I don't actually think Coby and Helmeppo will be members of that theoretical group, though, because they don't have analogues.

Luffy = Smoker, the leader with a Devil Fruit power and strong morals.
Zoro = Tashigi, since they have personal connections and are both swordsmen.
Usopp = Jango, the weaklings who fight with "lies".
Sanji = Fullbody, the woman-lovers with opposite martial styles.
Robin = Hina, both experienced women but with what can be seen as opposite powers.

Those are the easy ones. Possibly some characters who've already been introduced can come in and fill Bizarro roles. For example T-Bone would make a good counterpart for Brooke, because they're swordsmen with opposing styles (strength rather than speed), and Brooke is a skeleton while T-Bone looks like a zombie.

This probably won't happen though because this is OP and predictions rarely come true.

Desman
April 06, 2010, 04:49 PM
Well Smoker and Luffy are like Garp and Roger :D. All of them have some sort of trust to each other, Garp and Smoker are passionate for their targets. Oda is making sort of pairs here. I wouldnt say that Smoker would make "crew" Tashigi is only who is always in Smokers crew I wouldn't say that Hina, Jango, Fullbody, Coby or Helmeppo will be hunting SH crew since they dont have same kind of passionate combat like Smoker- Luffy Zoro-Tashigi.

Finale
April 08, 2010, 12:39 PM
I'm thinking it might even be possible for Magellan to join since he is also hellbent on capturing Luffy. At the very least he will make another serious apperance in the manga.

Uriel
April 09, 2010, 10:00 AM
I'm sure Akainu - who may become Admiral-in-Chief - will look for Coby and Helmeppo, try to know who they are to sentence them to death. The only solution for them will be to leave MHQ and go to NW. That's why Garp will ask Smoker to take them with him and they will end up in his crew.
Besides, Coby said to Luffy they'll meet in NW. And so far the only marine crew that has been said to want to go to NW was Smoker's.
You know, I was about to ask how Coby would join Smoker. This is excellent.