PDA

View Full Version : Question Which Straw Hat has the saddest backstory?

undertoe
April 15, 2010, 08:08 PM
Every Straw Hat has a fairly tragic backstory. Who do you think had it the worst?

Personally, I've always thought Chopper's was the saddest. Reminded me of Flowers for Algernon... All intelligence brought him was the realization that he didn't fit in anywhere. Everything about his background was just heart wrenching. Robin and Nami are close behind for me, though.

I'd say Luffy's history is the least tragic. Arguably devoid of tragedy, really.

Roarchu
April 15, 2010, 09:02 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't have lived through any of their stories

assuming I survived all the physical stuff, then I might survive Zoro's, Sanji's and Franky's...maybe Choppers. Since they had something to live for

and maybe Nami's...just out of responsibility

seriously they go through SUCH SHIT man, I would've commited suicide for sure

especially in Brooks and Robin's situation

Brooks is the worst in my opinion. Robin constantly had to strive to survive...but Brook was always alone, just wandering in there probably not knowing how many years went by, with all his comrades dead and looking like that. Man that story is so dark, I almost sure I would've commited suicide. I know we've been proved that even they had something to live for, but it took so much strenght....I don't think I'd be strong enough, I'd lose hope

mew

Dice
April 16, 2010, 04:43 AM
Well in Brooke's case suicidie would be kinda difficult. Since he coudln't know how water effects him it could very well make him life under water without the ability to move an inch....other than that I don't see any possibility how he could have killed himself.
I'd say Brooke, Robin and Nami have the saddest past. All three of them on their own. Brooke because he lost everything and couldn't do anything about it and because he was doomed live alone for all eternity.
Robin's past is sad because she lost everyone while she was still a kid and had to survive all alone as child but that's not all it's even worse than that alone: she was feared by many and those who didn't fear her tried to capture her. Many times she was betrayed and sold out.
Then there's Nami's past which is also pretty sad. She lost her mother, well not her real mother, but her mother in heart (you know what I mean :D). Than there is Arlong who forced her to work for her and if she would decline he wouldn't hesitate to kill all the villagers. So she had to work for him. Talking about responsibility here. The other two were only responsible for their own skin but Nami had to handle such a big burden.
I really think that those three are by far the saddest past. The past of the other straw hats are sad and are traumatic for some parts (I think Sanji's past with Jeff would be really traumatic) but not as sad as the past of those three. Especially Luffy's. He had a harsh past (all the being-thrown-into-the-jungle-scenario) but right now he's experiencing real sad things.

Uriel
April 18, 2010, 12:30 PM
Brook is kinda hard. Being alone is...the worst thing ever. And not even able to kill yourself. Incredible sad.

Anyway, I think Nami is one of the worst. She carried a HUGE responsibility and took all the hate of everyone in her shoulders, a fake smile and saw how her dream became her nightmare. Not being strong enough to defeat his enemy She joined them to win some advantage. For so many years.

You know, lie is such a difficult thing to do. And for so long...hard.

Kaiser Will
April 18, 2010, 07:51 PM
If is the saddest back story, IMHO, Brook and Robin are even.
Brook had to endure the death of his entire crew, plus being left alone for 50 years, and as a pirate not be able to fulfil his promise with Laboon.

In Robin case, she always thought that her very existence was a sin, because of what happened in Ohara and the fear of the Phoneglyph could cause, such as the revival of the ancient weapons.
She was chased her entire life, and because of that, never have attachments and for her a betrayal was only a way of surviving.

But if the case was which one had the saddest story in life, and with that I mean the present, in that, for sure, Luffy wins. He had his beloved brother killed right in front of his eyes. I know Nami have her mother killed in the same way but, for Luffy his brother was almost the only family that he have with him, since Garp stayed in HQ for quite some time.

Marche
April 19, 2010, 05:20 AM
My order is:
1) Robin and Brook (the are equal, perhaps a bit more Robin).
3) Nami.
4) Chopper.
5) Sanji and Rufy (on the same level, but perhaps Rufy (depend on the next chapters).
7) Franky.
8) Zoro.
9) Usopp.

H.M.K
April 19, 2010, 06:37 AM
Robin IMO has the saddest story, every one in her village think of her as demon when she is only 8 years old living lonely when u r so young no one to lean on all by your self and when you finally find someone loves u and find something u passionate about .
something came and wiped every thing u ever cared about and from that day on she kept running and running from country to country living by her self with no one to trust or to love ahhhhhhhhhhh this very saaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Dice
April 19, 2010, 10:49 AM
What about a poll with more than one possible answers?

THM Nindo
April 19, 2010, 11:57 AM
Brooke is the saddest for sure.
Robin is second, and she actually made me cry when she yelled "I wanna live!"

The other stories are not so bad...

Here's my list :

1) Brooke
2) Robin
3) Chopper
4) Nami
5) Zoro
6) Franky
7) Sanji
8) Luffy
9) Ussop

BetaRuler
April 19, 2010, 12:18 PM
1st-2nd
I'm not sure about Brooke vs Robin's stories, I don't think anyone could take living on a ship by themself for 50 years like that.
Robin's story is very harsh too, she shouldnt have survived it really.

3rd-4th
Nami or Chopper

5th
Franky's backstory seems gutwrenching and he may still feel guilty now.

6th
Ussop lost his mother who seemed to be pining for his father

which I think is harsher than Zoro who lost a friend, and Sanji who felt guilty for Zeff's leg, but what gets me is we've never heard anything about Zoro's or Sanji's family, like they possibly have some more backstory worth listening to.

Luffy is really at the bottom of the ladder... Only thing that depressed him so far as we've seen is him feeling guilty over Shanks loosing his arm to save him.

frontaLobotomy
April 19, 2010, 12:27 PM
I'd have to say it was Robin's story, as Brooke wasn't always alone. Robin lost everything, even her home island. A poll would be a good call for this thread, you should get a mod or admin to add one.

Ratatosk
May 08, 2010, 05:56 PM
The backstories seem to get worse and worse with each character who joins the crew.. In fact it was the flashbacks that first gave me the idea that One Piece would be something special.

I'd say Brooke, because it went on for so long. But then Nami or Robin were much younger, so might be worse.
Don't know what will happen in Luffy's flashbacks at the moment though :D

OdaForPresident
May 09, 2010, 04:44 AM
Definitely Brook has the saddest past. Being alone for 50 years, loosing all the people you care about. Not a pretty picture.

Second has to be Robin.
3) Nami
4) Chopper
5) Sanji, remember that he also lost his friends/colleges when that first ship sank in the storm.
6) Franky
7) Usop
8) Zoro

I'm not listing Luffy yet as we don't know enough of his past yet, maybe in a few weeks we'll have a clear picture.

OQO
May 12, 2010, 06:30 AM
First, CHOPPER! Maybe because he's a cute little animal, but I cried only for him! Second, Laboon! (...must be really 'cause they're cute animals...:p)

monkey D luffy
May 12, 2010, 07:01 AM
cant really tell as they all had rough childhood. i would say that robin is 1st followed by brooke and chopper, then i think nami and franky, after that zoro and ussop and lastly sanji and luffy

BlackHair
May 12, 2010, 10:20 AM
Saddest Robin for me. I mean she was a outcast even before she was hunted by the marines. On top of that every meaningful ppl in her life gets killed (this surpasses the previous flashbacks by far imo) and after that she lead a life in hide.

But the most inhuman story is Brooks. Seriously If I had to chose a FB to put myself into, then I would consider anyone beside Brooks. Living a live alone on a ship for freaking 50 years is impossible without going crazy. I would commit suicide for sure. Talking about torture.

Robin's is definitely the saddest, but Brooks is on a complete different league. His is not the saddest, but the most dangerous, if not scariest one. I can't describe that, it is simply inhuman.

Truefan21
June 18, 2010, 01:05 AM
Brooke had it worst, nothing is worse than loneliness and he was that way for 50 years with no human contact just his friends dead bodies, that would drive anyone crazy

damane08
June 18, 2010, 01:39 AM
yea i definitely think Brooke had it the worst, followed by Robin of course.
It seems to me that Sanji had it the easiest out of all of the Straw hats.

hibar90
June 18, 2010, 05:39 PM
The best sad back story

1. Franky - I think his story can connect with most readers. It's guilt. I can connect with the way he ignored Iceberg's warning and others must suffer for the consequence. And the way he try to stop the train was very touching.

2. Chopper - The doctor was an inspiring character. He put many people in danger, but in the end we learn that he only wants to help people. They way he drinks the poison so he doesn't hurt chopper's feeling was a lesson learn for me.

The least tragic would be a tie between sanji and luffy. Both made someone lose a limb. Both try to give something in return. But, if I have to choose which is worst, before it was sanji because he has to go through those starving period. Now, it's luffy for having someone close to him die.

To which SW had it toughest, I'd say Brooke. Sure, robin was alienated and a fugitive. But Brooke was alone for 50 years I think. Can you imagine, nothing to do for 50 years. I wouldn't survive this boredom.

RichardMNixon
June 18, 2010, 09:49 PM
I cried for Robin's, mostly with Saul.

It seems to me that Sanji had it the easiest out of all of the Straw hats. I assume you have never nearly starved to death.

Dasbones
June 18, 2010, 11:23 PM
Does no one remember how bland Usopp's backstory was?

I mean come on

Truefan21
June 19, 2010, 12:48 AM
usopp past was not tragic in comparison to the others

hibar90
June 19, 2010, 03:52 AM
usopp past was not tragic in comparison to the others

No way, losing my mother would be a huge blow to me especially if I were that small. It's fascinating that Usopp is as lively as he was/is. However, his flashback was not as long or developed as chopper, robin, brooke or franky. It was very early in the manga, even before nami. So, I feel it was not as good as the recent SW crew.

Dasbones
June 19, 2010, 11:14 AM
Yeah losing your mom is tough, but the main element was that the entire town thought he was an ass, which was entirely his fault.

Bloodwinter
June 19, 2010, 05:36 PM
I would have to agree and say Brook had it the worst. Robin is a close second, she was an outcast since she was very little and she didn't know who her mother was. On the day that she had finally met her mother, her mother stayed behind on Ohara and died. Just as she was accepted into the Scholars of Ohara their place of study and all of the Scholars themselves killed. The friend she made before that, Jaguar D. Sauls died trying to save her life. She was left to run knowing that an Admiral would chase her down at any moment. She went through life making nakama who would quickly sell her out to the government, ever truly befriending someone until she came into the Straw Hat crew. Betrayal is the feeling she had to deal with most of her life and with no lasting connection with anyone it must have been very tough.

Brook though, had lived a full life before what happened. He had lived, loved, and gone through most of the first half of the Grand Line. He had a dear nakama that he left back with Crocus. In the Florian Triangle, he and his crew had been fatally poisoned during battle, and through the song watched his crew members drop like flies, while he still continued to live. Then when he had finally tasted death so he could move on, he came back to life on the same ship. There he lived for 50 more years as he watched his nakama's bodies rot to the bone living with only a fainter and fainter memory of what it was like to have contact with another living soul. Then to top it all off, his shadow was stolen by a Shichibukai, so there was no way he could ever leave the Florian Triangle to see Laboon again because he would disintegrate. There was no way to tell what time it was, whether it was day or night, just how much time has passed. If I were in his shoes, I would have jumped in the water and been done with it. His determination is insurmountable.

damane08
June 21, 2010, 07:26 PM
I cried for Robin's, mostly with Saul.

I assume you have never nearly starved to death.

I assumed that NEARLY starving to death once is not more tragic than having someone close to you die, or everyone for that matter.

So yea it seems to me that Sanji had it the easiest out of all the straw hats.

Dasbones
June 22, 2010, 11:15 PM
I assumed that NEARLY starving to death once is not more tragic than having someone close to you die, or everyone for that matter.

So yea it seems to me that Sanji had it the easiest out of all the straw hats.

Nearly starving to death, losing everyone you know on an attack, being stuck on a deserted island with no hope of rescue (and completely alone, since Zeff refused to talk to him). Sanji's past was more of a test of will, and he managed to survive thanks to the kindness of the very man who put him into the situation, it may not be as 'tragic' but it was not by any means easy.

Compared to a kid who lost his mom, and despite having a town full of people of potential friends, decides to be an asshole and purposely prank and annoy all the said townspeople to the point where they chase him out of town. Usopp had it the easiest, because his situation was brought upon himself, all of the other members of the crew had their early lives ruined by forces outside of their own control.

damane08
June 24, 2010, 05:11 PM
Nearly starving to death, losing everyone you know on an attack, being stuck on a deserted island with no hope of rescue (and completely alone, since Zeff refused to talk to him). Sanji's past was more of a test of will, and he managed to survive thanks to the kindness of the very man who put him into the situation, it may not be as 'tragic' but it was not by any means easy.

Compared to a kid who lost his mom, and despite having a town full of people of potential friends, decides to be an asshole and purposely prank and annoy all the said townspeople to the point where they chase him out of town. Usopp had it the easiest, because his situation was brought upon himself, all of the other members of the crew had their early lives ruined by forces outside of their own control.

It was "easy," just like how a little cut might hurt but compared to a gunshot wound, so yes it was VERY easy.

Usopp decided to be an asshole eh? I am going to assume that you did not understand the relationship that he had with the villagers, because you obviously do not. If you want a better understanding just go back and read it again and tell me what the townspeople did the day that usopp did not do his little prank. go back and read........ i'll wait.

Now i understand that you're a stubborn person and you do not want to be wrong or you have a hard time accepting that you're wrong, i understand that. But if you sit there and tell me that you would prefer to have your father leave you as a child (yes he was proud of it but that still doesnt justify it) then having your mom die and growing up as an orphan, over ALMOST starving to death, being lonely (because his loneliness can be compared to usopp's..... right) then gaining a father figure out of all that............. then there's no hope for you.

so plz sit there and tell me that you would prefer going through what Usopp went through and not what Sanji went through. If you can tell me that then go and apologize to your mother, tell her that you would rather have her die than you ALMOST starving to death.
So i will again say that Sanji had it the easiest out of all the Straw hats. If you still think that what usopp went through is easier then good for you mayne, it's still a matter of opinion in the end. and as they say; an opinion can't be wrong.

that's all there is to say, this will be my last post in this thread because it is really hard to deal with stubborn people.

peace.

Poneglyph420
June 24, 2010, 06:03 PM
Well.

I'm not sure any of the SH had it easier than any other..
Seems to me all of the tragic things in their pasts would be scarring.
But since the question who has the saddest back story, it's not even about who had it worst, but the saddest. Yes IMO that's different.

I'd say Robin's or maybe Chopper's story was the saddest IMO.
Both were outcasts from their homelands and their peers. So from the outset they were sad and alone.. then both found acceptance and had it taken from them. I almost cried during Chopper's back story so that had some impact. But I guess in the End Robin's might be the saddest IMO.

Who had it worst.. all of them.

mlinko
June 24, 2010, 06:43 PM

Usopp didn't annoy them, they cared about him.

Dasbones
June 24, 2010, 07:07 PM
so plz sit there and tell me that you would prefer going through what Usopp went through and not what Sanji went through. If you can tell me that then go and apologize to your mother, tell her that you would rather have her die than you ALMOST starving to death.

I'll admit your argument has more merit, but this was just rude.

undertoe
June 24, 2010, 08:32 PM
Um... Shouldn't Zoro be a candidate for "easiest" backstory? I think most of us have lost a close childhood friend...

damane08
June 24, 2010, 09:11 PM
I'll admit your argument has more merit, but this was just rude.

yeah....... now that i think about it, it was a bit rude. I apologize for that, kinda got caught up in the moment. i'm sorry about that one.

it occurred to me though; there's still a bit that we don't know about (actually i recall reading something like this in this thread before) Sanji and Zoro's history. There's still a bit left to learn about them considering they were both orphans.
[hr]

Um... Shouldn't Zoro be a candidate for "easiest" backstory? I think most of us have lost a close childhood friend...

that's a pretty good point.

Dasbones
June 24, 2010, 09:40 PM
yeah....... now that i think about it, it was a bit rude. I apologize for that, kinda got caught up in the moment. i'm sorry about that one.

S'all good

Learning about Zoro and Sanji's history would be pretty neat, like they turn out to be relatives or something (just another thing to add to Oda's shit list on Sanji, but highly unlikely). I think that both of them must have lost their parents in war, that or they were abandoned. Although, since they don't seem to mention anything about their parents, I'd imagine it's not that big of a deal in the first place.

Fraaanky's lineage on the other hand could lead to some very interesting storytelling.

Naruffy
June 24, 2010, 09:40 PM
1. Robin
2. Brook
3. Nami and Luffy
4. Sanji
5. Ussop and Franky
6. Zoro

If Ace dying now counted as part of Luffy's backstory, he would easily be number one.
--------------------

Anyways, you can't really have an order that everyone will agree with because how sad something is to one person might be different for another. It's pointless to argue because the list is purely opinion and not fact.

BetaRuler
June 26, 2010, 02:31 AM
@Naruffy: No, but Sabo counts.

I still wouldn't rank Luffy's past up in the top though, to Luffy loosing Sabo is just as sad as Zorro loosing Kuina.

And you can have a list... I think, just take count of whose voted for what and you get a rough unanimus average (whatever the words I'm looking for) answer

MihawkAce
August 15, 2010, 10:55 PM
i would say chooper ime a dude and i cried for like an hour when i saw the 8th movie (i think) of chopper and he was rejected by his parent family friends people and almost everybody he knew!!

Skyrius
August 16, 2010, 08:21 PM
I honestly have a hard time saying. Robin's was one of the more heartrending for me if only because of what she had to live through all those years, but I have an argument for quite a few of them.

One thing that I noticed though, about Zoro, is that if you think about what we've been shown of his childhood, he might very well count. We haven't seen him with any sort of parents, and he just shows up out of nowhere like a street orphan challenging the dojo. Nami, Sanji, Usopp, Robin, Brooke, Luffy, Franky, and Chopper all at least had someone there for them, even if they did die or were left behind. However, I didn't see anything like that with Zoro. The only sort of close relationship we're ever presented with is the rivalry between him an Kuina. Now, that might be reading too far into it, but if it's true, Zoro lost someone who was probably much closer to family than friend. Or, you know, I'm grasping at air.

Also, about Luffy, in the flashback we got a glimpse of just how much he relied on Ace and Sabo. Remember, this was the kid that was willing to get beaten to the point where he couldn't even scream anymore rather than lose Ace's trust and friendship. To him, being alone was more painful. That implies that, besides Ace and Sabo, he had no one while living with Dadan. His grandfather wasn't always there, Makino and mayor couldn't always visit, and there were no other kids his age. Having Sabo die must have felt like losing half of his world. And, depending on whether or not Ace's death counts as a backstory now, Luffy must feel like he's lost the other half. I mean, his original driving force for becoming strong was so no one else he cared for would be lost like Sabo was. Ace's painful promise to live so that Luffy wouldn't have to be alone, Luffy going through the equivalence of hell itself to reach his brother, only to have him die protecting him. AND, if you think about it, it's not just Ace. Over the course of the last week, he's lost every single thing precious to him. From his inability to save his crew to his brother.

Well, that isn't to say I think Zoro and Luffy have it worse off. I just felt like trying to even the playing field XD.

By the way, something that really hit home for me about Brooke's backstory... I don't know if everyone's read Chapter 0, but there's just something about seeing Brook there, all alone, while the rest of the cast are either children or haven't been born yet. It's just.... it's when you realize just how long Brooke's been alone that I guess it feels more heartrending.

El-Thor
August 17, 2010, 11:46 PM
The saddest back story would have to be Chopper, followed by Robin. Ever since Chopper ate the devil fruit, he was hunted and beat up and chased out of towns. Neither people or animals accepted him into their ranks. He was all alone, scared, hurt, depressed (im sure) angry, etc. etc. And this went on and on, it's not like he lived like this for a day and then everything was alright. Yes, he did find happiness eventually, but throughout all of this he still tried to remain nice and caring.

Robin on the other hand had one really crappy day when the Marines blew up her town, her mom rejected her (at first) etc. I know seeing your people be massacred must have been really tough both mentally and physically, but that only lasted a day. After that, Robin decided to be "bad" so to speak. Again, I understand her personality directly resulted from what she's been through, but Chopper still had it worst IMO.

Usopp had the happiest back story. Zoro would probably be in third place.

Skyrius
August 18, 2010, 08:13 PM
Pfft, I just realized. Having a crappy past must be like a prerequisite for joining the Straw Hats or something. That or suffer significantly in the present. Or both. That's actually pretty morbid... Makes me wonder what goes through Oda's head sometimes... :l

weird_pirate
August 19, 2010, 04:28 PM
i think tat brooke has the worst to know and see ur crew ppl die while playin a song then b lonely for 50 years, man
robin has it tough and all that but brooke damn
luffy seems to have the less big dramatic thing and ussop, zolo meh its kinda up there

El-Thor
August 19, 2010, 05:48 PM
i think tat brooke has the worst to know and see ur crew ppl die while playin a song then b lonely for 50 years, man
robin has it tough and all that but brooke damn
luffy seems to have the less big dramatic thing and ussop, zolo meh its kinda up there

But remember that Brooke can't feel nothing cuz he's all bones ! YOHOHOHO ! :notrust

Now that Ace is dead, I think Luffy is up there with Nami/Sanji. Still not Robin/Chopper level though :darn

Jammin
August 19, 2010, 09:37 PM
I think Robin has the saddest backstory.

Grew up alone as a mistreated orphan(more or less), then her entire island is destroyed along with everyone she knew, then spent most of her younger years running from the marines with a massive bounty on her head. Until Luffy came along her life sucked almost entirely.

Kaiser Will
August 23, 2010, 07:53 PM
Moved. ~ Regarding this read One Piece Revamp Info/Guide Thread (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63551) please. Remember character related stuff, be it DF or haki discussions should be made in the TOK Forum from now on.

Niirouge
October 09, 2010, 08:31 PM
In order from the most 'heart-wrenching' to the least :)

1. Franky

His story eliminated two of the emotions I would give anything so as not to feel or experience in my lifetime: regret and guilt. I found his past the most painful to watch and empathise with and when he finally forgave himself after hearing Iceberg's words, I never felt more relieved while watching/reading One Piece ;)

2. Chopper

Gosh, knowing that you caused your most important person's death must be tough... Added to that pain is discrimination and plain outright rejection from everyone... If I didn't relate to Franky's story more, I'd give Chopper the first place...

3. Robin & Nami

They both suffered for a long time and had to deceive everyone around them just to survive. Both women know the pain of loneliness and the fragility of having trust in someone else... They're up here because they seem the most 'breakable' if the situation arises.

4. Zoro, Sanji & Usopp

These three tie for me :)
Zoro and Usopp having lost someone dear to them while Sanji has to live with (a little) shame at accusing and suspecting his boss... Lol, these three are pretty straight-forward so I don't have much to say ;)

As for Brook and Luffy, I'm still on the fence for where they rank...
Well, they clearly beat 4th place though...