PDA

View Full Version : Chapter One Piece 583 Discussion / 584 Prediction

Pages : 1 [2]

c0nflikt
May 05, 2010, 12:13 AM
and you want that all crammed into a few chapters like the flashback now instead of enjoying this new era unfolding in the years to come? that seriously baffles me, since most of what you described is stuff I would want almost an own arc for.
also Gorosei were imo hinted at when Moria got 'killed' (off screen death are always a little uncertain).
Sabaody and bountyraises will both happen with Strawhats reunited, Dragon and the revolutionaries were not part of this saga other than Oda preparing some nice stuff with Kuma and Robin, so there will be something big sooner or later - I'd like the first option more since Dragon talked about a meeting ages ago =D
well yh, but I hope you catch my drift here, the flashback is something important, even if far less awesome than the war, but that cesura had to come and waht follows can only be better.
On another note, that kind of terminal near Fuschia was somewhat unexpected, no?

Man I was so underwhelmed by 582, but Oda as always blew my mind with 'Gray Terminal' a lawless stuff graveyard. I have a feeling this is the arc where oda shows us luffy killing someone. Hopefully.

k-dom
May 05, 2010, 12:40 AM
In fact the entire chapter was full of unexpected stuff. The forest part surprised me too.

amar_kun
May 05, 2010, 02:52 AM
it seems to me that the idea of "Grey Area" is very much like the "Meteor City" in HunterXhunter... it seems that Oda might have plagiarism issue here, lol XD

Razh
May 05, 2010, 04:28 AM
it seems to me that the idea of "Grey Area" is very much like the "Meteor City" in HunterXhunter... it seems that Oda might have plagiarism issue here, lol XD

In that case, you might say that he copied Dragonball as well. Goku and Krillin trained on an island filled with dinosaurs, big sharks, sabretooths and whatnot. Goku even trained on a mountain before the adventure started, where he killed numerous tigers and shit.

I believe it's more of a homage, then anything else.

DLord.Van.Buuren
May 05, 2010, 05:39 AM
. I have a feeling this is the arc where oda shows us luffy killing someone. Hopefully.

why would you have that ? luffy is caught you should worry about the brat not him killing somebody , i've taken a guess that sabo will get killed trying to protect luffy or ace .

Schabrak
May 05, 2010, 06:10 AM
Luffy killing someboy of his own will? That would completely take his charm away.

And how is using a junkyard city in any way plagiarism? It's not like Togashi was the first one to think of such an idea. If there was a copyright to that india or african states would hold such....

happy GIN smily
May 05, 2010, 06:56 AM
...I can't believe how many people are bitching about this flashback. So far Oda has shown us many times how far he had planned ahead the story (La Boum anyone?). How about you guys have a little bit more trust and try to enjoy the story a little bit more. The strawhats will unite, but there is nothing wrong with a slow pace and flashbacks, otherwise everything will feel rushed and pale compared to the last arc.
It's nice that the first ''main'' character that died gets a little bit story background, since we don't really know that much about Ace.
For me Robin's story was by far the best moment in One Piece, so I wouldn't want to miss chapters like these.

bitching about bitching does not make you any better.
you may like or may not like my opinion. but i dont need you to tell me what to think.

i dont need any story backround about Ace. and the relationship between Luffy and Ace is clear enough. all i needed to see was Luffys cryface.

in my opinion this whole flashback is a waste of time. or simply buying time. and the worst is that it is boring. if it was a little entertaining, i would not mind to waste my time with it. but those things that i am realy intersted in like Dragon or Luffys Mother most likely wont be mentioned. a flashback about dead meat wont solve any mysteries.

i am not a member of the Praise-Oda-Fraction who swallow everything Oda throws into their throat. if you dont want to read negative comments you better stop reading at all.

imudkip
May 05, 2010, 07:15 AM
you may like or may not like my opinion. but i dont need you to tell me what to think.

i dont need any story backround about Ace. and the relationship between Luffy and Ace is clear enough. all i needed to see was Luffys cryface.

in my opinion this whole flashback is a waste of time. or simply buying time. and the worst is that it is boring. if it was a little entertaining, i would not mind to waste my time with it. but those things that i am realy intersted in like Dragon or Luffys Mother most likely wont be mentioned. a flashback about dead meat wont solve any mysteries.

i am not a member of the Praise-Oda-Fraction who swallow everything Oda throws into their throat. if you dont want to read negative comments you better stop reading at all.

It's called story development. A storyline can't always be at it's climax. It takes a while to get there.

Oda is a pro and i'm pretty sure he knows damn well where he's going with this.

amar_kun
May 05, 2010, 07:45 AM
In that case, you might say that he copied Dragonball as well. Goku and Krillin trained on an island filled with dinosaurs, big sharks, sabretooths and whatnot. Goku even trained on a mountain before the adventure started, where he killed numerous tigers and shit.

I believe it's more of a homage, then anything else.

in my opinion, all these similarities arises maybe due to both mangaka (togashi and oda) are affected by same surrounding that develop their ideas and having same interest, hence the similarities between them..

this might be off topic
even the Ant King in HxH resemble very much like Cell in dragonball (DB), which shows Togashi interest in DB, and we know how much Oda is into DB..

all in all, i regard both Oda and Togashi are genius in shonen fighting manga.. and Toriyama as well.. the others are left very very very, far behind them..

:tem

anaskr
May 05, 2010, 08:35 AM
ahh.... i believe its not about what we think or how we should make the anime run !! if we want that then we should make our own anime or manga!!

Well according to how things are going now i believe its perfectly all right!! luffy is just remembering

HOW HE MET ACE
BEFRIENDED HIM
BECAME BROTHERS NOT BY BLOOD
AND DEN HE LOST ACE !!

thats the thing luffy is going through now !! he is just has to overcome all this and this is what ODA wants to show us !! and then later on he will show how luffy overcomes this loss and be happy for the sake of his OATH he took against Shanks and FOR HIS NAKAMAS :D :D !!

ODA rocks and will till the end of one piece!! critics around isn a new thing in any Field, let alone anime isn a bid deal for em :D :D !!

Zeltrax
May 05, 2010, 08:49 AM

Then why did you read brook's flashback? He's dead alrea- oh wait, he's still alive!
Anyway this flashback is crucial, it finally, shows us ace and luffy past,
you said it's clear enough? that's funny, you don't even know why they became brothers and you say its clear enough.
Its crucial character development too, considering this is the fast time someone in luffy's life died.
It's time for luffy's turn, all the strawhats had someone important dying.
and it is needed to build up his spirit too, for the new world.
This flashback has only just started,
so give it a chance.
Don't start bitching when you reached the 583th of the manga.
And who doesn't love lyoung luffy, aww.

BlackHair
May 05, 2010, 10:07 AM
Happy Gin, I agree with everything except "the buying time" comment. Oda surely doesn't need to buy time, but anyway this flashback is shit.

Then why did you read brook's flashback? He's dead alrea- oh wait, he's still alive!
Yet another unnecessary line meant to be funny on bad opinions.
Brook is a living character in the current plot, while Ace is not anymore.

that's funny, you don't even know why they became brothers and you say its clear enough.
Oh' plz.. this flashback follows a old overused schematic: they don't like each other > they involve themselves in danger > they help each other and finally a understandings develops between them. Also we know they become brothers by drinking sake. There is rly no need to know more. Given that this is a flashback (around 5 chapters) there are no rooms for surprises, twists or w/e.

Its crucial character development too, considering this is the fast time someone in luffy's life died.
It's time for luffy's turn, all the strawhats had someone important dying.
and it is needed to build up his spirit too, for the new world.
This flashback is not rly needed and not comparable with flashbacks on the other SHs. Ace died in real time not in a flashback.

There are other crucial (this word is a matter of viewpoint I guess) information we need on Luffy. Ace is not crucial for me. Nor their brother-relationship.

And who doesn't love lyoung luffy, aww.
Blackhair. Not that I hate him, but honestly Im not interested either.

Mr. Crocodile
May 05, 2010, 10:25 AM
Now I wonder if the views of some people about this flashback would be different if Ace had still died but his heritage had not been revealed just yet, maybe Oda could've done so during the flashback. Maybe that could have been the "twist" some people are longing for.

beastboy
May 05, 2010, 10:41 AM
Don't you ever read short story's??
They aren't allways EPPIIIICC *___* :FANGASMS:
But they certainly enjoy us...
Thats how I see this flash back, its a short story that will amuse me, its bad that I'll have to wait 4 more weeks till it ends, but mangas are made as if it was continuous, not thinking in who is reading weekly, thats why, when this Saga ends I'll download the vol. and read them all at once, I'm certain I will like 5x more than I already did!

c0nflikt
May 05, 2010, 10:49 AM
Something shocking is going to happen in this flashback, its oda we all know it. just not what -it- is going to be, I predict a luffy kill, or something. But let oda have his kid goku arc.

OQO
May 05, 2010, 10:51 AM
if you dont want to read negative comments you better stop reading at all.

Hem, if you think so, then... why don't you follow your own advice and stop reading the manga?... :eyeroll
I wouldn't bother complaining your complaints if I could just skip your posts (not yours specifically, but each whining one), but I must take a look at them if I want to follow the little pieces of discussion hiding in the middle of the complaints here and there... and this is really annoying...
At least, be constructive: don't just repeat over and over again "I don't like it" (It's so childish!)... What's the point???????? I don't get it at all... We'll get the flashback no matter what! At least, wait the end of it before saying it is shit...

I suggest some [COMPLAIN] tags... can be useful! :p

I think that Dadan and the bandits will help or have some role in the rescue. If Ace developed a completely different personality it must have happened through some display of love and affection. Surely on the most part from Luffy, but I think the gang contributed too. On the other hand, I won't like a big emotional role of Sabo in this flashback because I would see him like an intruder in Ace and Luffy's relationship...

topkomputer
May 05, 2010, 11:20 AM
I honestly understand how people feel bad about these chapters. I think Oda want to show us at least Dadan character. How she becoming so important for both ace and luffy. And might somehow influence the manga's story line.

Razh
May 05, 2010, 11:44 AM
I always like to read retarded comments like - "If you don't like it, why are you reading the manga at all?"

Shit, people. What, nobody here watched the movie that was great, but which had parts that really suck? I'll take Avatar as an example. I really liked the movie. It was enjoyable, relaxing, had plenty of action, and it had a really lame plot. A combination of at least 2 famous stories about native americans (to be politically correct).

I love One Piece. I flipped when I saw Oda give Blackbeard quake fruit, instead making evolved darkness fruit powers. It was really a crappy event for me. Should I stop reading the goddamn manga because Blackbeard got a quake fruit and I didn't like it? Get real people.

This is a chapter discussion/prediction thread, not a chapter praising and worshiping thread. Start accepting that there are people with different opinions here and deal with it. Why do you care that happy GIN smily and BlackHair hate the shit out of this flashback? What does it mean in your lives? Affecting them somehow? Ruining the story for you? Lol.

That's not to say that I hate this flashback. I'm more like neutral. I don't think Oda would start it just to show how Luffy and Ace came to good terms. There's probably some things we didn't know yet. Think about it. Not too long ago, we didn't know who raised Luffy and Ace. Then we find out about Ace's origin. Now we hear about Sabo and there he is. You can't exactly be sure that we know everything that is to know.

And if it does turn out to be predictable, it's not like I'll lose sleep over it. And let's face it, it will certainly help animators to fill in the gap between chapters and episodes. Can't wait for childhood fillers...

Ashura_Ichibugin
May 05, 2010, 11:49 AM
It never stops to amaze me that how people see a good story as a pile of plot twists. I prefer a well told predictable story over a story which is made into a freak by twisting the plot over and over again. Instead of the twist fans, I hope Oda won't screw up the story by twisting it beyond the limit such that it does not make sense any more.

I am not an Oda worshipper. Moreover, Luffy is not my favourite character. He is not even in my top 5, I hate stupid and carefree people both in reality and fiction. I read One Piece just for some of the other characters in the crew. Thus, I long to see other Strawhats. Despite those facts, I am quite OK with the flashback. But I think other people with lesser reasons to hate it are not.

OQO
May 05, 2010, 12:33 PM
This is a chapter discussion/prediction thread, not a chapter praising and worshiping thread. Start accepting that there are people with different opinions here and deal with it. Why do you care that happy GIN smily and BlackHair hate the shit out of this flashback? What does it mean in your lives? Affecting them somehow? Ruining the story for you? Lol.

Exactly! It is a DISCUSSION/PREDICTION thread!! Where's the contribution to the discussion within complaints, nonetheless to predictions? As it shouldn't be a praising thread it shouldn't be a whining thread neither. It is just this simple. If I get to know that you and/or others don't like this part of the manga, what should I say to you? "Ok, bad for you..."?"Oh, I understand and virtually hug you!"? You need comfort? Solidarity? I don't know! Tell me what's the point in expressing your dislike an maybe I'll change my mind...

As well as Complain tags I suggest a Like-Dislike poll at the beginning of each Discussion/Prediction thread. Could be a solution...

P.S. The only one that shows he isn't able to accept others opinion is you, using offensive language! Try al least to be coherent...

On topic I don't know what to write: the discussion went lost somewhere between... you know what. :notrust

Bugzee
May 05, 2010, 12:54 PM
hahaha this was getting so funny imo. :p

Anyway...

I'm not too fond of these flashback chapters tbh but I'll admit that it was refreshing to see a young Luffy (his SH looks massive lol) & Ace back in East Blue. I'm also glad that Sabo has finally been revealed as a person lol. When it was first mentioned I thought Ace was referring to a particular place or incident (still could be ;)) and it was cool seeing that black hat.....*crys*

I personally don't think More like, I don't want to see Sabo die in these flashback chapters. Luffy's flashback of Sabo's death will help him reunite with the SH's? :err I think another death (-GM) so soon after the war would be wrong. I say Garp will re-appear soon to prevent Luffy from dying/getting seriously injured? and Ace doing something stupid?! Maybe, Sabo will join or tag along if you like with those Bluejam Pirates?

Well, I'm hoping the content of these flashbacks develop into something awesome in the end...

BetaRuler
May 05, 2010, 12:57 PM
There should be more story behind Dadan to wait for at the least... I mean why did the Mayor of Luffies town think any better of Dadan (remember when he was complaining about Luffy going "grrr what would Dadan think!?")

Apart from that... I'm also not sure whether or not any of this flash back can have any entertainment value in it at the moment, and I think it will just sail passed me even if I reread it when the translated books come to UK

Black Lagoon
May 05, 2010, 01:00 PM
Hi Guys !! I'm BACK :XD :shakefist it's been a while ... I almost forgot my password :p

"It has no value for me" That's how I actually wanted to write in my post earlier.

This flashback is about Luffy's and Ace's relationship. To deepen Ace's role in the story. That's at least how I see it. Not to mention that it seems to be predictable. This flashback probably won't solve any unanswered question (anymore) also it is plot-wise not needed. Simply said, for me a flashback isn't only about emotionality and character development. I expect more. (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1900401#post1900401)

Ace is a dead character, to which I lost all my interest during the war arc. So this flashback is nothing more than boring to me. Still I seriously hope that Oda proves me wrong and pulls something unpredictable which is related to the plot. Would be rly awesome.

it's true that This flashback is more about Luffy and Ace's relationship in order to deepen Ace's role in the story as you said, but what about "Sabo" ... he could be dead though . Besides IMO there is one equation that remains unsolved ... what about "the Sabo thing (http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/574-53/12)" ... what happened, because if it was something irrelevant or not that important he wouldn't have blabbed it in those exact words ... I mean "the * thing".

I wanna know more about Sabo, how is he doing? is he a pirate now? ... because if he's a alive and a pirate ... hmm ... he still have a chance to play a big role in the story.

IMO some rest after a long troublesome year is good, and now that Ace's dead, I can't think of a better time to do so (Ace and Luffy's flashback) ... thereby take the opportunity to bring down the curtain on Ace. :(

DLord.Van.Buuren
May 05, 2010, 01:23 PM
rather than sayin this chapter is that and this discussing the content would be more constructive , I sure understand that most people have a problem with this chapter moving on would be the best option now
what i find boring is actually people commenting on a chapter well im telling you the chapter is out you can do nothing about it ^^ .

despite all the hints on sabo's matter , having him at a further point of the story would be considered a nice idea indeed , maybe he could actually join luffy's crew or maybe he could be a pirate on his own .

redred
May 05, 2010, 01:29 PM
Hi Guys !! I'm BACK :XD :shakefist it's been a while ... I almost forgot my password :p

it's true that This flashback is more about Luffy and Ace's relationship in order to deepen Ace's role in the story as you said, but what about "Sabo" ... he could be dead though . Besides IMO there is one equation that remains unsolved ... what about "the Sabo thing (http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/574-53/12)" ... what happened, because if it was something irrelevant or not that important he wouldn't have blabbed it in those exact words ... I mean "the * thing".

I wanna know more about Sabo, how is he doing? is he a pirate now? ... because if he's a alive and a pirate ... hmm ... he still have a chance to play a big role in the story.

IMO some rest after a long troublesome year is good, and now that Ace's dead, I can't think of a better time to do so (Ace and Luffy's flashback) ... thereby take the opportunity to bring down the curtain on Ace. :(

welcome back :D
i probly think that sabo (tho i dont want this to happen) will likely die somehow and then thats what'll cause luffy to take over as Ace's partner/brother. and they both go on to be pirates.

and yeah i agree that this flashback is the closure that Ace needs. his death lacked the proper buildup imo compared to something like the going merrys death.

Razh
May 05, 2010, 01:32 PM
P.S. The only one that shows he isn't able to accept others opinion is you, using offensive language! Try al least to be coherent...

You were offended? I'm sorry if I offended you, but that comment doesn't do you credit. That comment just goes on my nerves, that's all. It's lame every time someone uses it. It usually uncovers fanboys/girls who don't like to see people dissing their favorite. I don't think you're retarded.
You know, someone can be a valuable member of the forum, and still give retarded comments from time to time. God knows I had my share. It's like Avatar. It was enjoyable, relaxing, had a lot of action, but it had a really lame plot.;)

EDIT: Oh, welcome back Lagoon. Didn't even notice you were away.:p

DLord.Van.Buuren
May 05, 2010, 01:51 PM

man its been an age , glad to have you back .^^

well to be honest i have to agree with whoever said that the next 6 chapter would be predictible , speaking of that here is my prediction
i dont expect dadan to do much since she althoug she seems like he doesnt give a the smallest thing if something happens to luffy or ace , the old scenario the pirate without a neck i forgot his name will try to kill luffy , a spark in ace's heart making him getting restless he will try to save luffy maybe will get caught sabo on the other hand will try save ace , why that will ensure his death during the process .

Razh
May 05, 2010, 02:01 PM
That's just appearance. Dadan I mean. Don't get fooled by Oda. Franky, for example, was a vicious thief and a criminal when he first appeared. I hated his guts for what he did to Usopp. Then, it turns out he's the next Strawhat.

Dadan may seem like she doesn't care, but you can tell that she at least respects Ace. Bringing back food and all. Also, the way she talked to Ace in that other flashback when he caused some ruckus in town was a lot different. We should also remember that both Ace and Luffy lived with Dadan for quite a few more years after the events in this flashback.

DLord.Van.Buuren
May 05, 2010, 02:10 PM
@ razh
while you totally make a fair point after all oda is unpredictible , but dadan doesnt only respect ace but also fear him , she knows he is "the son of the devil " he prolly may have beaten her up at a certain point .

TheBlackLotus
May 05, 2010, 02:38 PM

There's a lot of question on Sabo, but i'm surprised no one has brought up the idea that he won't die during the flashbacks but died later on. Ace was originally captain of the Spade Pirates right? Perhaps that was the pirate crew that Ace and Sabo started with Ace being captain and Sabo the first mate. Sabo admits losing to ace in the amount of loot anyway so i can see from this relationship they have that it would seem logical to both. If Whitebeard wiped out the most of the Spade pirates then there's a good chance Sabo could have died at that time rather than some early part of the story.

Not to mention this is Luffy's flashback, not Ace's. So Sabo might only be important from Luffy's perspective in this backstory.

There's also the possibility Sabo wouldn't have died and now be a member of the Whitebeard crew, therefore opening up some more development with Ace, Luffy, etc in the New World. Whitebeard is gone now, and the fate of his crew is uncertain. It's possible they go their separate ways and try to retain as much control over his territories in the form of an alliance as former crewmates. That or the division commanders might take each division as their own crew to protect Whitebeard's area. Anyhow, with Sabo, Oda has a tendency to make characters seem less important at a first view but end up being more crucial in time. Perhaps Luffy and Sabo will eventually meet and reminisce about Ace, or even join forces against some enemy on his adventure. If he doesn't 100% die in the flashbacks (which i don't have a feeling would be necessary anyway, there's no indication Sabo means anything to Luffy like Ace did) then it's very likely we'd see him again.

It's still too early to tell either, but I don't think either is out of possibility.

Bonfire01
May 05, 2010, 03:00 PM
welcome back :D
i probly think that sabo (tho i dont want this to happen) will likely die somehow and then thats what'll cause luffy to take over as Ace's partner/brother. and they both go on to be pirates.

and yeah i agree that this flashback is the closure that Ace needs. his death lacked the proper buildup imo compared to something like the going merrys death.

Ace might start to warm to Luffy just because he refuses to sell him out even when threatened with torture/death. Although Ace and Sabo are obviously friends we have no idea if anyone has ever gone that far for Ace's sake. It would also be very in character for Luffy. Refusing to betray a "friend" even though it's a bit of a one way friendship at this point :).

I have to agree with everyone who said it's likely Sabo dies in this flashback. You just feel it's an easy way to have Ace wanting to be brothers with Luffy. Luffy refuses to betray Ace THEN Ace loses his only other friend.

On the other hand Oda rarely goes for the most straightforward way to get where he wants to go. I also find he's much more careful with the exact phrases he uses than most Mangakas. So Ace referring to it as "that Sabo thing" rather than Sabo's death/sacrifice or something similar just makes me think there might be a bit more to it......

Overall, I liked the chapter. I don't think Oda has really explained how Ace went from "a devil" who always got in fights and felt his life was worthless to a polite, friendly pirate with a brother he was willing (and happy) to die for. You could argue this flashback could have been put somewhere else (Ace's death perhaps) but I think it was something that needed to be explained at some point.

I figure maybe 3 or 4 more chapters of flashback. I doubt Oda is actually going to show any kind of proper fight in there, so it will probably progress quite quickly.

k-dom
May 05, 2010, 04:03 PM
I agree with Razh we haven't see anything about Dadan yet. Come on, Oda has been teasing us with this character for so long and would not her give a decent role ? That is what I would call a big disapointment.

OQO
May 05, 2010, 04:09 PM
You were offended? I'm sorry if I offended you, but that comment doesn't do you credit. That comment just goes on my nerves, that's all. It's lame every time someone uses it.It usually uncovers fanboys/girls who don't like to see people dissing their favorite.

Actually I wasn't: I used that comment just to throw Smily's -don't remember his name- words back at him, because words such as these get on my nerves too. Thus I understand you, but this doesn't justify a scornful language... Anyway I'm not mad at all! ;) ...and, my favorite is Tony Tony Chopper who I miss a lot, but I don't mind waiting! (my signature is just a tribute to Ace -who, com'on!, earned a good flashback!- and in particular to Oda who had the courage to draw the death of a "big" character. A rare episode...)

I'm still of the opinion that Sabo will not die a heros death. Something like this wont bring Ace closer to Luffy, actually the opposite, because if Sabo dies or sacrifices himself it would be all Luffy's fault! He got caught!
If Sabo dies he's going to deserve it. If he lives, he's going to lose Ace respect in someway. Because, we already know: Luffy's gonna earn it!

Akainu
May 05, 2010, 04:38 PM
I'm still of the opinion that Sabo will not die a heros death. Something like this wont bring Ace closer to Luffy, actually the opposite, because if Sabo dies or sacrifices himself it would be all Luffy's fault! He got caught!
If Sabo dies he's going to deserve it. If he lives, he's going to lose Ace respect in someway. Because, we already know: Luffy's gonna earn it!

Luffy earning Ace's respect gave me a good idea what could happen to him. I mean it was pretty much hinted at, at the end of the chapter when the pirates took him away, but I guess he's really going to be tortured and yet not speak a word (his DF playing in there is almost a given).
The other parties involved here should be Ace (and Sabo) watching the scene as well as Dadan and the mountain bandits. Now what I imagine is some hillarious stuff like Luffy sending the pirates to the bandits hideout, but Dadans strength is unknown, so Garp might be neccessary here.
It could end in any other way though.

@Razh: yh the scrapheap looks like some kind of defunct theme park to me with parts of a rollercoasters rails and the baskets of a Ferris wheel among them.

oh and does anyone know about the words on the title page? the umbrella has 'Konkatsu' written on it, Hogbacks pants 'gekai' and some more and Absaloms shirt has writings too - my little bit of searching didn't lead anywhere, so if someone knows, please post :tem

Razh
May 05, 2010, 05:14 PM
@Razh: yh the scrapheap looks like some kind of defunct theme park to me with parts of a rollercoasters rails and the baskets of a Ferris wheel among them.

Yeah. Basically the first think I thought of when I saw that cabin on the left was a ferris wheel. I'd at least like to know about the origin of that scrapheap. Could be an ancient town or some construction that was destroyed. Some character could at least throw some rumors about the place.
I keep thinking that there some significance about the place, but I can't put my finger on it at the moment.

Poneglyph420
May 05, 2010, 05:17 PM
oh and does anyone know about the words on the title page? the umbrella has 'Konkatsu' written on it, Hogbacks pants 'gekai' and some more and Absaloms shirt has writings too - my little bit of searching didn't lead anywhere, so if someone knows, please post :tem

Konkatsu.. heh. It's "Husband Huntin" or looking for suitors.. not sure the best translation..
Maybe "matchmaking party" ROFL!!!!!

Gekai is like "the real world" "the earthly realm" or "reality".. I'll have to look at the cover again....

heheheh... Konkatsu... LOL!

The rookie
May 05, 2010, 05:20 PM
The Sabo Theory:

Luffy got taken away by the pirates:
Flashback of Luffy: ''I want to be a pirate too'' (luffys happy face)
Ace:( thinks: he's got the same dream as i do) ....screw it, we gotta rescue him
sabo: what that!? little jerk we wanted to kill him!!
ace gets to the hideout of the pirates and in a good moment he unties luffy , they fleee to the forest.
Scene changes to sabo talking to pirates: How much would you pay to know where they hide?
pirates capture ace on his next trip through the forest but luffy following him frees ace and they fight tohether the pirates. Anyways they got terribyl beaten up but luffy keeps saying''i won't let you die, no matter what'' and and shoulder on shoulder they fight a battle they can't win ( thought of that because of their perfect combat teamwork back in Hq), maby later saved by dadan or garp.
next scene becoming friends/brothers...

My thought:You find out who's your friend when it comes to serious situations and sabo sold ace out his real friend was luffy because he helped him ''no matter what'' as the pirates sneaked up on him.

I know that at some points my theory might be kinda crappy but if you have better ideas feel free to tell/comment :P

iloveonepiece
May 05, 2010, 05:36 PM
people who can't accept flashback don't understand it's a part of a finished product.

Its like if dragonball all started at the Buu saga and Goku said "yeah me and Yamchai, tien, piccolo, vegeta used to fight and we became friends". Sure we KNOW it happened, but you would still had wanted to see it.

same as your ASSUMPTION about you KNOW how luffy and Ace became brothers, how thieir relationiship leads to one where they exchange sake... when it's all said and done, it's better to have seen it then just imagined.

PH3000
May 05, 2010, 07:19 PM
so the main point, in the theories i've read, always was sabo. i really don't think he will sell out ace and his hidden stash, but i also don't see him dying, that wouldn't fit to oda's style. That ace is about to witness loyal luffy, as we know him, is nearly certain:) (everyone in this manga that could see luffy in action liked him afterwards or at least allies with him) perhaps sabo is going to run and never been seen xD

ace's words (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/574/10/):
"if it weren't for the sabo thing ... and having a little brother like you to look out for.. i would never have even wanted to live"

in my opinion it really refers to the time they went out to rob money. they wanted to buy a pirate-ship, that gave ace a goal in his life, some dream that made him want to live.

cowknuckles
May 05, 2010, 08:42 PM
maybe this is just a backstory of sabo, soon we'll see the grown up sabo will meet luffy and he'll join the straw hat crew.

chess4
May 05, 2010, 09:44 PM
i just hope the flashback is over next chapter...........im interested in if amaon lilly will be attacked.

this is what i think since the strawhats have to get back together and to get to FI they need their ship. i figure all of them will trickle into AL along with rayleigh, shakki, hacchi, and pappagg. i think the government will come after luffy being in such bad he will not have the will to fight and will have to be defended by his crew. boa will join them at head to FI island with them.

FI will be a battle sight and the strawhats along with rayleigh and jinbei will fight along with the reat of the warrior. i think we will get a 2 for 1 backstory of sort. im sure we will meet a relative of fisher tiger(maybe fisher tiger jr.) who will hate humans, but will have a change of heart after he meets crew. he and boa will have connection and their dreams will be revealed. after the WG loses the entire crew will get bounty raises, with brook, boa, and a new fishman being recognized as part of the crew.

PirateQueen07
May 05, 2010, 09:56 PM
I hope the flashback is over soon too... Agree w/ the rookie's theory. I think Sabo will betray them, and then the pirates will take him with them...

Then in like 1000 chapters, Oda will show he's Doflamingo or someone crazy that we've already met (cuz the kid looks SO familiar, I swear we've seen the adult version somewhere). Any guesses who he might be?

bittman
May 05, 2010, 11:37 PM
Well it's definately not Doflamingo, since he was seen at Roger's execution. This is approximately 10 years later, so at the most Sabo is probably about the same age as Ace is/was (i.e. early twenties).

I doubt Sabo is anyone we've actually seen yet, unless Oda does a strange unbelievable twist (like behind Killer's mask is Sabo, which would be silly). If Sabo is actually still alive today (which he might not be given how most flashbacks have someone die in them), I have enormous doubts that we have actually seen him anywhere in this manga.

Probably too early to speculate whether we'll see him or not. Sabo has an enormous "I'm going to die" sign on him I can't seem to un-see.

WickedNeko
May 05, 2010, 11:38 PM
I know that some people are a little disappointed that it seems to be a start of a mini-flashback arc, and, while I agree that I generally hate flashbacks taking a big chunk of chapter (or, in this case, several chapters)... after the last several month worth of every chapter being more epic then the last, I think it's rather nice to have a little cool down time with a "slice of life" mini-arc.

I just wish it wasn't in form of a flashback.

HikaruYami
May 06, 2010, 12:00 AM
I do appreciate that Oda didn't make us wonder about Sabo for very long. He's really good about this kind of thing. If it sounds pertinent, he won't give even the casual fans time to forget ^_^

And now, halfway through the story of One Piece, we get Luffy's backstory properly. How exciting!

Shadoguardian
May 06, 2010, 12:13 AM
I just hope that after this flashback, Luffy will go back to normal. I mean considering how big a shock the Whitebeard War incident is, the only 3 ways I can see Luffy reverting to normal is either:

1. a Strawhat appears out of nowhere, snapping him out of his rut;
2. the island of Kuja is suddenly attacked;
3. or either the Kuja's or one or both of the Schichibukai decides to become Luffy's nakama.

However, seeing that it's Oda, I wouldn't be surprised if he either did all of the above or come up with something completely new which I haven't thought of.

bittman
May 06, 2010, 01:32 AM
I know that some people are a little disappointed that it seems to be a start of a mini-flashback arc, and, while I agree that I generally hate flashbacks taking a big chunk of chapter (or, in this case, several chapters)... after the last several month worth of every chapter being more epic then the last, I think it's rather nice to have a little cool down time with a "slice of life" mini-arc.

I just wish it wasn't in form of a flashback.

Wait. When has anything about this indicated it's going to be a "mini-flashback arc"? I would be surprised if this is smaller than Brooke's, and would expect it to be potentially on par with Robin's in regards to length.

Guys, we're not talking about some secondary character here that just got introduced or has long been dead. We're talking about:
1 x MAIN CHARACTER of One Piece - Monkey D. Luffy
1 x recently deceased BROTHER of Luffy + Roger's offspring - Portgas D. Ace

These aren't just two deadbeats. If I get a "mini" anything out of this flashback, I'll be infinitely disappointed.

KaoruArimi
May 06, 2010, 03:03 AM
Ace might start to warm to Luffy just because he refuses to sell him out even when threatened with torture/death. Although Ace and Sabo are obviously friends we have no idea if anyone has ever gone that far for Ace's sake. It would also be very in character for Luffy. Refusing to betray a "friend" even though it's a bit of a one way friendship at this point :).

I have to agree with everyone who said it's likely Sabo dies in this flashback. You just feel it's an easy way to have Ace wanting to be brothers with Luffy. Luffy refuses to betray Ace THEN Ace loses his only other friend.

On the other hand Oda rarely goes for the most straightforward way to get where he wants to go. I also find he's much more careful with the exact phrases he uses than most Mangakas. So Ace referring to it as "that Sabo thing" rather than Sabo's death/sacrifice or something similar just makes me think there might be a bit more to it......

Overall, I liked the chapter. I don't think Oda has really explained how Ace went from "a devil" who always got in fights and felt his life was worthless to a polite, friendly pirate with a brother he was willing (and happy) to die for. You could argue this flashback could have been put somewhere else (Ace's death perhaps) but I think it was something that needed to be explained at some point.

I figure maybe 3 or 4 more chapters of flashback. I doubt Oda is actually going to show any kind of proper fight in there, so it will probably progress quite quickly.

Going Merry's death was foreseen many chapters prior and the build up of it was on purpose to make the final scene very dramatic. It was meant to be a tear jerker and oh boy was it. I never thought I'd cry over a ship. WTH. Anyway it was purposely done.

In contrast Ace's death was not a slow build up and a climax. It was rather unexpected and a huge giant shock. We knew that WB was going to die but ACE?? holy cow poo. It was meant to be a shock. No build up on purpose.

There are many examples of how a flashback can be valuable after a person's death.

Take for instance Hollywood making a movie about a person after they died. Like Selena, Ray, Ghandi. We knew how great they were when they were alive. Their death was tragic. And it was nice to see a movie (or in Ace's case a flashback) about how they lived and how they grew up and the adversity they had to go through. Making a Bio-Pic after someone has died is not a new thing.

I think Oda meant to do it this way. I don't agree with some opinions that it shoulda been done before he died for "build up" purposes. I'm not picking on anyone in particular. Just a general observation and a different point of view to this flashback debate.

can't really compare Ace's death with Going Merry. One was meant as a tear jerker and the other a shocking turn of events. Both carefully thought out. I'm sure this flashback will reveal something beneficial to the plot. It's not just a walk down memory lane. I guess we'll all need to be patient and see.

Lots of impatience about wanting to skip ahead and have them go to fishman island or to the new world yada yada. It's like are we there yet mom? are we there yet?? We'll get there when we get there. It's better to enjoy the ride. I guess if you're really bored of the chapter you can take a nap like you would on a long airplane ride. But don't be surprised if you missed your airplane meal during your nap.

again I am not picking on anyone in particular. just a general observation of this chapter's thread

OQO
May 06, 2010, 03:18 AM
Wait. When has anything about this indicated it's going to be a "mini-flashback arc"? I would be surprised if this is smaller than Brooke's, and would expect it to be potentially on par with Robin's in regards to length.
These aren't just two deadbeats. If I get a "mini" anything out of this flashback, I'll be infinitely disappointed.

I'm afraid it won't be very long... Ace didn't get a lot of panels before his death and I doubt he'll get more now that he is. And I already found this fact disappointing (won't change thought, but still...): I would have liked to see something more of his famous "strength", not just talking, being him Luffy's dear brother... He went down with one blow (and he seemed quite fit at the time), when every-other one stands always up after 100 or even more so. I didn't get the idea that he was cool... That's, maybe, the reason why few people care about this flashback: we don't know him at all and we don't care! But that's exactly the reason why I hope Oda shows his baddass reputation at least in this flashback! If he doesn't, Ace existence is really gonna be meaningless for us and the manga purpose. He could really not have been born at all! In this flashback, Oda should give to Ace last words their weight: should he have been born? The answer is shown through Luffy's reaction and development, which we won't understand otherwise. With No background, this happenings would remain shallow. And we could have just skipped them all!

Another thought that occurred me is that Oda is showing us -Now for good!- something that can't be over read: the weight of Death, its influence and power over people. Its very important in my opinion. No lots of mangaka tried to draw this lesson: Death exist, can't be undone, and changes you, your perspective and resolution. Oda did it through each main character to make it clear. Thus his invitation to live -through Ace and Luffy's words and actions- without regrets! ...I'm sure that the One Piece has something to do with this lesson too: A life, One life, of fulfillment! As well known: its not the treasure in its self to be valuable, but the journey.

Now that I think about it, Sabo remembers me of Konohamaru (http://kmlinux.fjfi.cvut.cz/~pauspetr/files/konohamaru0.jpg) too! Dress him like Oliver Twist and we've got him! :tem

EToS
May 06, 2010, 09:37 AM
+1 with the traitor/weak-heart still-living-Sabo theory.

The two most obvious possibilities here would be:
- Sabo dies as a reliable friend and makes Ace promise stg to him (to live as a great pirate for them both, or stg like that)
- Sabo lives, but considering Ace's last words and how close Luffy and him became at that time, it would mean he got away alone in one way or another (with the bluejams or with the money only) after some mean deeds.

What makes me naturally think Sabo's still alive is the way he is introduced:

Sabo
-10 years old-
A boy blablabla..

Why would Oda give so much importance to that kid's age (he clearly doesn't do that when it's not needed) if it weren't for him to be introduced once again one day as:

Sabo
-20 years old-
Captain of the big-hat pirates

looking at Luffy's face with some damn cool evil smile on his face, remembering the old days.. ?

topkomputer
May 06, 2010, 10:33 AM
I really want to see how Dadan play her important part in this story...

How luffy will change his perceptive about mountain bandit. First a merman who hates humans (Arlong), until Franky Teacher, a merman who sacrifice himself to save his human pupils. Oda like to play political thing like this...

Lawrens
May 06, 2010, 10:51 AM
- Sabo lives, but considering Ace's last words and how close Luffy and him became at that time, it would mean he got away alone in one way or another (with the bluejams or with the money only) after some mean deeds.

Yea I think this is plausible. If he was an important dead character to Ace, he would've made his appearance in one of Ace's flashbacks, but instead he was merely mentioned as "the Sabo thing/event". While I do think he could still possibly die, I don't think he's as important as some might think he is, and the spotlight will be on Luffy and Ace.

If Sabo died as one of Ace's most important friend, his death probably would've been mentioned earlier.

jojoSB
May 06, 2010, 03:15 PM
Okay, so konkatsu simply means marriage hunting;
left is looking for 'willing to get marry', then looks like a pig with bat wings to me...
^ ^; then it's just 'looking for' again,

the right says genius surgeon!!

So I guess this cover story is all about the duo looking for their 'special' someone..,
wonder if Moria will make a guest appearance at the end. ^ ^

"luffy"
May 06, 2010, 04:38 PM
I like Sabos Design, so I want to see him as a grown man.
But when he's dead, that'd be not possible anymore. :<

Bugzee
May 06, 2010, 05:03 PM
Okay, so konkatsu simply means marriage hunting;
left is looking for 'willing to get marry', then looks like a pig with bat wings to me...
^ ^; then it's just 'looking for' again,

the right says genius surgeon!!

So I guess this cover story is all about the duo looking for their 'special' someone..,
wonder if Moria will make a guest appearance at the end. ^ ^

I guess that pretty much sums up that Gecko's been done in. Unless Doflamingo showed mercy and only cut up some of Moria's limbs off. It's hard to imagine Doflamingo not finishing the job off tbh so... I say Moria is dead. Gosh it's about time lol. :p

haha damn that Absalom is going to have so much fun with his devil fruit ability even more so now that his a free man lol and not restricted to Thriller Bark anymore. I wonder what Dr. Hogback's future wife is going to look like...:s

bittman
May 06, 2010, 05:31 PM
Uhh, isn't that just a normal one-shot cover like Oda has been doing lately? Unless I'm looking at a bad version, I can't see the usual tell-tale signs of "Blah blah blah title, Part 1", plus there are animals in the page. Any cover with animals is usually a one-shot.

Hogback and Absolam are probably not doing this at all. Just as Buggy and Shanks were not having drinks served by a gorilla the other chapter. And how Tashigi was not teaching Coby whilst Helmeppo screamed in the background.

Bugzee
May 06, 2010, 05:33 PM
Uhh, isn't that just a normal one-shot cover like Oda has been doing lately? Unless I'm looking at a bad version, I can't see the usual tell-tale signs of "Blah blah blah title, Part 1", plus there are animals in the page. Any cover with animals is usually a one-shot.

Hogback and Absolam are probably not doing this at all. Just as Buggy and Shanks were not having drinks served by a gorilla the other chapter. And how Tashigi was not teaching Coby whilst Helmeppo screamed in the background.

I'm getting a bit to ahead of myself. My bad. LOL! Ha! Gosh I hate GM so much. :lmao

Akainu
May 06, 2010, 05:53 PM
Well if my memory serves me right, the very first coverpage of the CP.9 didn't have a sign on it either, it was like short term serial #10 and then suddenly we had CP9 #2.
Those are largely inconsistent, which could also be seen in the Strawhats single adventures - in other words somewhere in the line from Oda to the editor/printing, mistakes are made in this not so important area.
On the other hand, having those two on the cover for a longer time ... *shudders*

undertoe
May 06, 2010, 07:11 PM
Yeah... I can't say I much care about what happened to Hogback and Absalom. Their characters have been played out enough that I don't care if they return.

topkomputer
May 06, 2010, 08:35 PM
Yea I think this is plausible. If he was an important dead character to Ace, he would've made his appearance in one of Ace's flashbacks, but instead he was merely mentioned as "the Sabo thing/event". While I do think he could still possibly die, I don't think he's as important as some might think he is, and the spotlight will be on Luffy and Ace.

If Sabo died as one of Ace's most important friend, his death probably would've been mentioned earlier.

Guys, I think probably Sabo died or quit his dream to becoming pirate. At the past, Ace didn't wear a black hat and accessories on his hat are just look like sabo

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/157/14/

This is ace at the first performance in one piece. He wear a hat that just looks like sabo with some accessories that looks like a google. I think he wear that to reminisce sabo...

Ratatosk
May 06, 2010, 08:38 PM
Ace's hat was completely different to Sabo's though, apart from being black. His goggles were much sillier too. Ace has a cowboy hat, Sabo has some kind of steampunk getup that still manages to look cool..

First a merman who hates humans (Arlong), until Franky Teacher, a merman who sacrifice himself to save his human pupils. Oda like to play political thing like this...
I never saw Tom being a fishman as a political point, but yr probably right. I thought it was just a passing-on-will-to-next-generation, regardless if they're related to you or not story, the first time i noticed him being a Fishman as an issue was when Spandam started screaming racist abuse. I seem to remember Tom has that same Sun-Pirates tattoo, so it must be significant, but I don't know if they ever showed the whole of it, so could be a red herring.
The 'idiot child brought up by random adults they met by accident' thing seems to be a theme in One Piece.. but then Dadan doesn't seem to give a shit, so I wouldn't be surprised if she just let them get on with growing up themselves.
Shanks' influence sure is impressive though, to make a 7-yr-old kid put up with all that and still be grinning insanely. I guess Luffy is still Luffy. But it would be interesting to know how long the Redhair Pirates stayed on Luffy's island, (they were only stopping over to get ready for the Grand Line, so can't be that long no matter how much of a pisshead Shanks is) and who was looking after him before Garp came up with his idiot idea to cure him of pirate-worship? I know Garp has a screw loose, but just planting a baby in the local pub seems unlikely even for him. These flashbacks are reassuring though, anyone that self-reliant when they were 7 is not going to be defeated by what just happened.

thought the covers were whatever Oda felt like drawing that week, then if he had more ideas it turned into part 2... I'm sure One Piece is better planned than that though.

I really hope Shanks and Buggy are getting drunk with a gorilla right now though, that would be ace. (and it's not a bad plot for extended anime fillers...) :D

topkomputer
May 06, 2010, 08:44 PM
My english isn't too good. I was talking about how Oda like to make twisted thing. I think Oda is trying to say "not all mermans are bad, like arlong" and "not all mountain bandits are evils, like luffy's first encouter". That's how he try to say. Probably "not all marines are good, for example akainu". Etc. Hopely you understand what I said.

shluffy
May 06, 2010, 09:20 PM
Man... are these flashbacks really going to develop the storyline?

k-dom
May 07, 2010, 01:15 AM
Cover story first chapters always starts with Short term serial title and they are more mysterious so I guess it's just a continuation of the duo covers. I wonder how long it will last maybe until the end of this arc

llamapie
May 07, 2010, 03:01 AM
Man... are these flashbacks really going to develop the storyline?

*slap*

This is an extremely important part of Luffy's life in his past and how he handles this flash back is how he comes to a new resolve. So yes.

And Oda has used these flash backs right before someone makes a big decision almost every time. Someone had said that they only ever happened in the middle of arcs before, which is true. This one being at the end of one is a sign of a possible time skip after 583 chapters.

I just don't think Oda really wants a bland arc of all of the SH crew trying to meet back together. I think he will probably bring us a few years down the road when they are all together and give us an arc to display how much everyone has improved.

cartoonfreak
May 07, 2010, 04:25 AM
I think that would be awesome if there was a time skip in One Piece. I would love to see how everyone had matured, and become stronger. However, I would hate if they weren't significantly stronger, and were still only full of "potential." I would like to see some most of their potential actually reached. I was despising the fact, that Luffy was arguably stronger than everyone in his crew combined(somewhat shown in the Moria arc when he fought Oz by combining gear 2nd and 3rd). I'm hoping a lot from Zoro at least. He has been disappointing as of late. He used to be on par with Luffy and then he just fell off. Getting back on topic, I hope this time skip occurs

TauCarlos
May 07, 2010, 05:11 AM
I think that would be awesome if there was a time skip in One Piece. I would love to see how everyone had matured, and become stronger. However, I would hate if they weren't significantly stronger, and were still only full of "potential." I would like to see some most of their potential actually reached. I was despising the fact, that Luffy was arguably stronger than everyone in his crew combined(somewhat shown in the Moria arc when he fought Oz by combining gear 2nd and 3rd). I'm hoping a lot from Zoro at least. He has been disappointing as of late. He used to be on par with Luffy and then he just fell off. Getting back on topic, I hope this time skip occurs

Slight mistake actually, it was the combined strength of all the straw hats that finally took down Oz and Luffy used the combination of gears against the over zealous Moria who was already significantly injured by Nightmare luffy. Zoro is still very much close to Luffy's level just not on par with him which I think is great otherwise he would be the pirate king? And come on how can you say he was disappointing his last fights were defeating Ryuma (a dead and very good swordsman), at some point fought Oz one on one and after all that managed to do at least some damage to Kuma.

Though I would like a timeskip and the straw hats to improve as well I don't want them to start being uber strong all of a sudden, I mean the best part of this manga for me has been seeing the steady and gradual growth of each of the straw hats. I would never forgive Oda if he skips their growth development and they suddenly each get ridiculous Bleach powerups.

On topic though, I'm now nearly certain that Sabo is probably still alive and that his infact Ace's rival or was.. If you notice Sabo mentioned "Damn you beat me again" I believe in this flashback we will see Sabo finding out the truth about Ace's lineage and causing envy also Ace's actions to save Luffy will make Sabo feel weak and he'll start a rivalry. thats my prediction for now

Marche
May 07, 2010, 07:46 AM
I think than Oda has already done the time skip.
In fact at the beginning of the chapter 582 there is "after 2 weeks".
I don't think than there will be other time skip.

OPWillOfTheD
May 07, 2010, 08:49 AM
I think that this flashback isnt really interesting as far as im concerned. Sure it might be needed in order for Oda to build up a story. As far as im concerned I believe that Kuma sent him to that island so he can further progress his control in his Haki. He should learn to control it in the Amazon Lily after he gets over Ace's death in order for him to get stronger. He should have realized he is no match at his current state and that he could fight Logia users more efficiently after he's seen Boa, and Rayleigh cancel out there Logia powers.

DLord.Van.Buuren
May 07, 2010, 12:44 PM
I think than Oda has already done the time skip.
In fact at the beginning of the chapter 582 there is "after 2 weeks".
I don't think than there will be other time skip.

that is indeed considered as a time skip , its actually official among the members , so as you said any further time skips would rather be uneeded , but you never know with oda , since the strawhats are about to enter .

k-dom
May 07, 2010, 03:30 PM
what is actually official ? A 2 weeks timeskip is not a timeskip it's just 2 weeks passing. In such a case their is a huge time skip in last chapter since there are several months gap between 2 of Luffy's Ace hunt. The timeskip shall bring something to the manga and this 2 weeks break has brought nothing.

monkey D luffy
May 07, 2010, 04:34 PM
besides the fact that luffy finally woke up? a 2 week skip IS a time skip no matter what you people say. in a flashback even years are not time skips since it has already happened in the past. i believe that there will be an attack on amazon lily and the SH will appear 1 by 1 one shotting at least a few of the attacking foes.

k-dom
May 07, 2010, 04:41 PM
What would be the difference if he has woken up after 2 days. A time skip is made when you need to make a major evolution in a series that's not the case here. If Luffy changes because of Ace death that won't be because of this 2 weeks break.

BetaRuler
May 07, 2010, 05:02 PM
Maybe you should use 2 terms for your time skips... like the "non eventful timeskip" and the "sudden powerup timeskip"...
Or i could watch you people continue to argue over what kind of timeskip your talking about...

frontaLobotomy
May 07, 2010, 05:47 PM
I have to admit, I'm with the consensus that the 2 weeks Luffy was out of action before waking up is about as close to a timeskip as we are likely to get. In the manga timeline, 2 weeks is a pretty long time. A lot will have happened in the world that we have yet been made aware of. Teach won't have been sitting pretty during that time, I'd imagine a number of islands will have been completely obliterated as a demonstration of his power. The balance of power has shifted with the passing of Whitebeard, the days, let alone weeks that precede this event will have had some significant happenings.
Given the choice, I'd rather not be presented with years having passed, with older members of the Straw Hat Pirates suddenly being thrown on us. The pace is good enough as it is.

beastboy
May 07, 2010, 05:53 PM
Well if the time skips, is a Time SKIP...

Now it isn't a meaning full time skip, like a 2 years 2 skip, is just a skip, like skipping the parts where they are sleeping!

BetaRuler
May 07, 2010, 07:19 PM
Well if the time skips, is a Time SKIP...

Now it isn't a meaning full time skip, like a 2 years 2 skip, is just a skip, like skipping the parts where they are sleeping!

Was there any character developement during that sleep? Cos we should know! If there was character developement we better have seen it! Or else we'll feel cheated out!
*gets hit by a brick*

Ok... I still want sum backstory on what the heck happened to people like Magellan though...

topkomputer
May 07, 2010, 09:04 PM
I still believe adult-ace wear a black hat and acessories like google on his hat to reminisce Sabo

Nonlife
May 08, 2010, 12:25 AM
I still believe adult-ace wear a black hat and acessories like google on his hat to reminisce Sabo

Before I caught a full glimpse of Sabo, I thought he was wearing the hat and goggles Ace would eventually wear. Something tells me Sabo may end up dying.

pnyhmsmx
May 08, 2010, 01:27 AM
Technically, the time skipped (in this case, two weeks) is an example of an ellipsis. Someone mentioned this in a previous One Piece chapter discussion thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis_(narrative_device)

http://www.artandpopularculture.com/Ellipsis_(narrative_device)

http://books.google.com/books?id=WvRNGan8YZcC&pg=PA25&lpg=PA25&dq=ellipsis+narrative+device&source=bl&ots=NHFndRRQ-3&sig=1LuesXA3O4VnUgAYqic74eLgSc8&hl=en&ei=lgXlS6TrCY-asgODu8jRCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBYQ6AEwATge#v=onepage&q=ellipsis%20narrative%20device&f=false

ScratchmenApoo
May 08, 2010, 08:41 AM
Hmm... I think Boa and Luffy will somehow recall the Smoker incident at the war - how Luffy failed to touch Smoker but how Boa owned him.
Boa realizes again that Luffy has King's Haki and I think she will feel a need to teach Luffy how to control it, since Boa has it too (?)
Luffy will gladly accept because otherwise he cannot touch Logia users in the future.

topkomputer
May 08, 2010, 09:52 AM
Before I caught a full glimpse of Sabo, I thought he was wearing the hat and goggles Ace would eventually wear. Something tells me Sabo may end up dying.

You mean you already know there is a guy named sabo before Oda show us chapter 583? Oh please...

DLord.Van.Buuren
May 08, 2010, 10:20 AM
You mean you already know there is a guy named sabo before Oda show us chapter 583? Oh please...

on the other hand it was likely that he would end up being a person , indeed i thought sabo was a regular object which held a value to ace .

fistsofrage
May 08, 2010, 01:04 PM
I wanna see how the Luffy - Hancock relationship ends up, What jimbei ends up doing, and just how f***ed up the strawhats journey into the new world is gonna end up. They were always taking up every little problem that came their way but now that they are big named pirates with an incredible foreseen bounty, everbody meaning pirates, marines, normal people and especially the admirals will be trying to kill them. They might not get along with people on the islands as well as they might have if they weren't famous.

Ratatosk
May 08, 2010, 04:29 PM
on the other hand it was likely that he would end up being a person , indeed i thought sabo was a regular object which held a value to ace .
wait a minute, when was 'sabo' mentioned before this chapter?
lost :blink

Mr. Crocodile
May 08, 2010, 04:33 PM
wait a minute, when was 'sabo' mentioned before this chapter?
lost :blink

He was mentioned on Ace's dying words.

Ratatosk
May 08, 2010, 04:55 PM
Wasn't that Dadan?

k-dom
May 08, 2010, 05:06 PM
Both

Ratatosk
May 08, 2010, 05:15 PM
Do you know what page, I just read it back and can't find it anywhere..
and he didn't really have the chance to talk for that many pages :(

Vexor
May 08, 2010, 05:43 PM
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/574/10/

Mangafan2
May 08, 2010, 07:50 PM
Once Luffy gets the hang of his haki use, I think he will face a logia user soon, maybe an admiral and he will be able to deal a bit of damage where the admiral will be suprised ^^ Or Luffy will be able to keep him off while him and his mates run away.

undertoe
May 08, 2010, 08:02 PM
Why would the admiral be surprised? All of them saw Luffy exert king's haki, so they know he has it. I doubt the admirals are so naive that they wouldn't anticipate Luffy learning how to control it.

bittman
May 08, 2010, 11:50 PM
An admiral logia would be a waste of an arc to showcase Luffy's haki. Because it would go something like this:

Admiral#?: "You have no hope of defeating me strawhat"
Luffy: "GOMU GOMU NO JET PISTOL!" <haki sfx>
Admiral#?: <dodges, takes majority of hit or simply counters> "Surprising, you've come along way" <one shots Luffy to oblivion>

So it would be a pointless arc in which Luffy would lose...again. Oda is about to change the pace and give Luffy a victory to counteract all the losses he's been having, else we'll lose faith in Luffy's ability. Haki would not get Luffy even remotely close to any of the admirals, even if he teamed up with Boa, Jimbei, Law, Iva and the other 8 Strawhats, an admiral would not be in too much trouble.

Luffy's first haki vs logia test will either be Smoker, Crocodile or a brand spanking new logia that gets introduced soon. All other introduced logias are far too beyond Luffy.

kangclaw
May 09, 2010, 01:45 AM
An admiral logia would be a waste of an arc to showcase Luffy's haki. Because it would go something like this:

Admiral#?: "You have no hope of defeating me strawhat"
Luffy: "GOMU GOMU NO JET PISTOL!" <haki sfx>
Admiral#?: <dodges, takes majority of hit or simply counters> "Surprising, you've come along way" <one shots Luffy to oblivion>

So it would be a pointless arc in which Luffy would lose...again. Oda is about to change the pace and give Luffy a victory to counteract all the losses he's been having, else we'll lose faith in Luffy's ability. Haki would not get Luffy even remotely close to any of the admirals, even if he teamed up with Boa, Jimbei, Law, Iva and the other 8 Strawhats, an admiral would not be in too much trouble.

Luffy's first haki vs logia test will either be Smoker, Crocodile or a brand spanking new logia that gets introduced soon. All other introduced logias are far too beyond Luffy.

Why should Luffy have to defeat the same opponent again, it kind of defeats the point of them being defeated in the first place.
I have to disagree on this, (you may still be right). The manga already showed that Luffy can defeat Logia users, and this is without Haki. Luffy is actually physically good; his DF ability enhances his physical fighting capability. If Akainu or any of the other admirals got hit by one of his Gear 3 infused with Haki; they would not enjoy it. Anyway this is just speculation.
The Logia users would still feel his punch even if his punch goes through them.

Dekker
May 09, 2010, 04:19 AM
Why should Luffy have to defeat the same opponent again, it kind of defeats the point of them being defeated in the first place.
I have to disagree on this, (you may still be right). The manga already showed that Luffy can defeat Logia users, and this is without Haki. Luffy is actually physically good; his DF ability enhances his physical fighting capability. If Akainu or any of the other admirals got hit by one of his Gear 3 infused with Haki; they would not enjoy it. Anyway this is just speculation.

The only logia he fought was eneru right? I think we shouldn't really count an opponent that can't even use his full power against luffy who was immune to most his fearsome attacks. All admirals have far more effective powers against Luffy.

edit: On a second thought I forgot there was Corcodile. Ok I give it to you, he could defeat him because of the water and blood. Could you see a futil weakness for the admirals? Shall he set his hands on fire to fight Aokij? I dont think he can beat those anytime soon (and i certainly hope so, too)

Zeltrax
May 09, 2010, 04:22 AM
If Akainu or any of the other admirals got hit by one of his Gear 3 infused with Haki; they would not enjoy it. Anyway this is just speculation.

I think a gigant punch is nothing compared to a quake directly to your face
that akainu survived from ^^
face it, luffy and admirals, heaven and earth.

Lord Rayleigh
May 09, 2010, 04:42 AM
The only logia he fought was eneru right? I think we shouldn't really count an opponent that can't even use his full power against luffy who was immune to most his fearsome attacks. All admirals have far more effective powers against Luffy.

edit: On a second thought I forgot there was Corcodile. Ok I give it to you, he could defeat him because of the water and blood. Could you see a futil weakness for the admirals? Shall he set his hands on fire to fight Aokij? I dont think he can beat those anytime soon (and i certainly hope so, too)

Actually, Luffy had a real fight against 4 logias : Smoker, Crocodile, Eneru, and Aokiji.

Luffy also have some interaction with Kizaru and Aokiji : he attacked both of them and they also attacked him. Indeed, Luffy used a Stamp Gatling against them, Kizaru pierced him with a laser and kicked him away several times, and Akainu burnt him when Jinbei tried to protect him.

monkey D luffy
May 09, 2010, 05:01 AM
he also had interaction with ace although they never fought, and he fought BB who is a unique logia. the thing is i dont see him fighting logia's next chapter so please take it to the mega convo we have urgent matters to didscuss here on the following chapter.

i think luffy's power in the flashback didnt menifest to their full extent and luffy still doesnt know how to use them properly next chapter will probably showcase how luffy invented his first attack the gomu gomu no pistol (although he did state his punches were like guns) also i think that dadan and her crew will either get they asses handed to them by ace or they will showcase they true powers saving luffy from the bluejam pirate at the cost of all of ace's treasures. sabo then will be infuriated and try to attack luffy, ace then defends luffy and sabo and ace are no longer friends. sabo will probably talk badly on roger too which will infuriate ace. they will become bitter rivals and plefge to duke it out once they are both pirates on the pirates summit! once luffy get there in the main story he will fight sabo for his late brother.

have fun discussing. i think i gave a lot of material here to discuss about here.

Dekker
May 09, 2010, 05:18 AM
Actually, Luffy had a real fight against 4 logias : Smoker, Crocodile, Eneru, and Aokiji.

Luffy also have some interaction with Kizaru and Aokiji : he attacked both of them and they also attacked him. Indeed, Luffy used a Stamp Gatling against them, Kizaru pierced him with a laser and kicked him away several times, and Akainu burnt him when Jinbei tried to protect him.

Ok ok, your right =D. Tho, the only ones he beat were Croc and Eneru, tho he didnt really beat Eneru.

Schabrak
May 09, 2010, 05:54 AM
Ok ok, your right =D. Tho, the only ones he beat were Croc and Eneru, tho he didnt really beat Eneru.
If K.O.ing your enemy is the definition of beating somebody, Luffy did exactly that. (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/299/16/) It's just that either Enel woke up early enough survive or Maxim turned up somehow and made him survive that way.

P.S.: Convo Thread is the way to go with that topic. :)

Fox666
May 09, 2010, 07:32 AM
face it, luffy and admirals, heaven and earth.Well, while Whitebeard shockwaves are far more powerfull than Luffy attacks, it is exponentially less effective against individuals.

That's a good question. Both Luffy and Whitebeard can take down a giant in a single hit.

Saint Markus
May 09, 2010, 10:06 AM
Luffy is still young though. and i doubt, WB was that strong when he was only 17. so i imagine by the time Luffy reaches WB's age, he'll be on God-Level. it's just like with Shanks, he started as nothing and now his a godd**n Pirate Emperor.

but, the flashbacks so far are great.

deprince69
May 09, 2010, 10:59 PM
face it, luffy and admirals, heaven and earth.

i uno what started this convo but i may add, luffy has the "kings something" haki which makes a huge difference when facing a logia type or any DF all he needs to do is to master the haki

Bigall
May 10, 2010, 03:11 AM
...so i imagine by the time Luffy reaches WB's age, he'll be on God-Level...
If he manages to get that old. Even if it becomes the pirate king, it will surely be at the expense of is health. Luffy may die at middle age...

Amazeroth
May 10, 2010, 04:33 AM
If he manages to get that old. Even if it becomes the pirate king, it will surely be at the expense of is health. Luffy may die at middle age...
I agree. With all the use of his "gear 2" and the hormones from Iva-san, he will not get as old as Whitebeard, I guess. He is exhausting his body in a too fast way.

He is more the "live fast, die young" type.

Sawako-Chan
May 10, 2010, 05:12 AM
well not that i'm that interresting in this flashback it could be pretty usefull to know why him and ace got so close to the point of dying for each other... after all they had different mothers...different fathers and ace didn't seem too willing to accept him as a brother

and another thing...after the flashback luffy has another problem ...his crew is ALL OVER THE PLACE... nami is in a sky island...sanji if i'm not mistaken is in calm beat in the okama island ( well Iva is heading there but...) ussop, choper, brooke, zoro, Robin they are all in the middle of nowhere...

how will luffy get his crew back and if there will be another addition...like Jimbei or even hebehime....or someone else like margareth...and who is going to help him find them...and sunny-go was sailing last time...where is it?

well ...guess Oda will be a busy boy this year ;D

Amazeroth
May 10, 2010, 05:32 AM
Yes, it would be really interesting to see, how we gets his crew back together.

I would LOVE to see some visible changes in their appearances. Like a big scar across Zoros face and a new sword.
A new hat for Chopper.
A new hair style for Sanji, so we can see both his eyes now.
A freakin big GUN for Usopp.
And so on...

Of course there should be some kind of explanation for all those changes, but I would love to actually SEE some kind of development in the characters. Not only in new fighting moves.

gesgift
May 10, 2010, 05:50 AM
well not that i'm that interresting in this flashback it could be pretty usefull to know why him and ace got so close to the point of dying for each other... after all they had different mothers...different fathers and ace didn't seem too willing to accept him as a brother

and another thing...after the flashback luffy has another problem ...his crew is ALL OVER THE PLACE... nami is in a sky island...sanji if i'm not mistaken is in calm beat in the okama island ( well Iva is heading there but...) ussop, choper, brooke, zoro, Robin they are all in the middle of nowhere...

how will luffy get his crew back and if there will be another addition...like Jimbei or even hebehime....or someone else like margareth...and who is going to help him find them...and sunny-go was sailing last time...where is it?

I think the flashbacks will go on for some time, I don't like them but see them as necessary for the story. Afterwards Jimbei will talk to Luffy about Arlong, and Jimbei will probably try to free lot's of fishmen (I didn't see anyone of them in ID) to defend Fishmen island against all the pirates, 'cause old man WB encouraged new pirates to go after the OP...

OQO
May 10, 2010, 06:29 AM
how will luffy get his crew back?

I think the SH are going to find Luffy, not the other way around: Luffy hasn't got the required means to find them alone (and maybe now, not even the psychological strength!), and if he sets out to the sea with others (Jimbey, Hancock, &co.) Oda would need a whole new manga to show their adventures! Not showing the search on the other hand would be... disappointing, nonetheless. But if the crew finds his captain, Oda would prove their strong loyalty and, later, when the manga goes on with the main story, Oda could show through some flashbacks how they got to Luffy one at a time... seems plausible to me. What you think? I have just one doubt: has the crew their captain vivre-card? (I have some gaps in the read of the manga :p)

DLord.Van.Buuren
May 10, 2010, 06:34 AM
I think the SH are going to find Luffy, not the other way around: Luffy hasn't got the required means to find them alone (and maybe now, not even the psychological strength!), and if he sets out to the sea with others (Jimbey, Hancock, &co.) Oda would need a whole new manga to show their adventures! Not showing the search on the other hand would be

indeed you are right OQO . but the same can be said if the other memebers are getting back to SA , they sure each will get his mini arc , on the other hand it could be a time skip .

Sawako-Chan
May 10, 2010, 06:37 AM
well can't say they have a vivre-card of luffy...but i know they all have one of rayleigh...maybe that' how they will meet up...just go to where rayleigh is...still...how to get there is another history...

but i guess that we going to see flashback for a while...(betting for 6~8 weeks of flashback...and then the comeback arc...with Luffy crew back and kicking)

OQO
May 10, 2010, 07:08 AM
Hum, yes... the time skip, which is highly probable at this point, would hide the search - of Luffy, or of the crew, or both - and the facts occurred would be shown later on. Yes, it would be the same in anyway. But rationally, I just think it easier and faster for the crew to find one person, than for the captain to find the whole crew members one at a time. And... more touching! Maybe Luffy is gonna be "depressed" or at least "blue" after Ace death... the crew finding him would be... I don't know, encouraging? Something like this. I think Luffy's gonna heal through the reunion with his crew mates. Their existence is the more important thing for Luffy at the moment, and I can't see him pulling through the loss of his brother alone (maybe... Jimbey? But he's not of so much importance now) and just set out to find his crew as nothing has happend. Something must help him through. :eyeroll

anaskr
May 10, 2010, 07:26 AM
I Guess proly the 585th manga will be when Jimbei consoles him and takes him back to the castle or when maybe Law gives him the hat to tell him he has to live on for his dream :D

Davit08
May 10, 2010, 09:06 AM
i'm still hoping for sanji meeting ivankov and robin meeting dragon, then they both reunite and that's the start of reunited the strawhats. :D oh well

Schabrak
May 10, 2010, 09:21 AM
well can't say they have a vivre-card of luffy...but i know they all have one of rayleigh...g)That's were the problem lies, not everybody has one. Rayleigth did quater or figth them so the Mugiwaras could go in groups of three of four, can't really remember now. I really hope Zorro has one or else it will take decades before he reunites with the crew.^^

monkey D luffy
May 10, 2010, 09:39 AM
true. thats why regrouping with ray is impossible. there will be another epic way for them to join forces soon. dont worry.

gesgift
May 10, 2010, 09:50 AM
true. thats why regrouping with ray is impossible. there will be another epic way for them to join forces soon. dont worry.
I hope the 'soon' part is true, the sh's have been out of sight for too long... But the flashbacks will continue for at least 4-5 weeks (prediction). And then pure epicness awaits us once again!

OQO
May 10, 2010, 10:14 AM
I really hope Zorro has one or else it will take decades before he reunites with the crew.^^

Whahaha!!! You're right! Zoro will be the only one left to be found at the end! :D:D

hy4k
May 10, 2010, 10:31 AM
Luffy is still young though. and i doubt, WB was that strong when he was only 17. so i imagine by the time Luffy reaches WB's age, he'll be on God-Level. it's just like with Shanks, he started as nothing and now his a godd**n Pirate Emperor.

but, the flashbacks so far are great.

true. luffy may not be admiral level, and he sure as hell isn't yonkou level

but he's achieved more than almost every pirate in one piece and has one of the highest known bounties (certain to be at least twice as high after the whitebeard war)

a kickass crew (way beyond any of the other supernovas). latent kings haki and the strongest set of allies in the world (garp, wb pirates, redhair and redhair pirates, jinbei, hancock, crocodile and baroque works, dragon and the revolutionaries)

he really needs a powerup though. but he has the potential to surpass garp

and garp was on whitebeard and roger's level WITHOUT a devilfruit

monkey D luffy
May 10, 2010, 10:59 AM
i doubt the flash back will last more then a couple of chapters more. next chapter will probably be the start of the fight and ace will probably seem dead. the chapter that follows ace and luffy make a run for it and ace promises he will never die. and then luffy will find something ace had left him and look into the future believing his brother will always be with him.

edit: darn keyboard somehow pressed the "enter" key

then the chapter in 2 weeks from now luffy will start looking for his friends.

gesgift
May 10, 2010, 12:27 PM
i doubt the flash back will last more then a couple of chapters more. next chapter will probably be the start of the fight and ace will probably seem dead. the chapter that follows ace and luffy make a run for it and ace promises he will never die. and then luffy will find something ace had left him and look into the future believing his brother will always be with him.

edit: darn keyboard somehow pressed the "enter" key

then the chapter in 2 weeks from now luffy will start looking for his friends.

Because Luffy wore other clothes in the flashback where 'Ace said he can't die 'cause he can't leave a little brother behind', AND because Ace already acknowledging Luffy as his brother would be way to soon (otherwise everyone Luffy ever saved is like his brother, not?), I think this will go on for at least 4 more chapters. But that's just a hunch based on poor reasoning :-)

monkey D luffy
May 10, 2010, 12:49 PM
i wouldnt say poor reasoning since you have good points but remember that in luffy's flashback he got he on the head when garp used his left hand and in ace's garp used his right. there is no explanation but one which is kinda out there to justify this and actually contredict one of your points:
ace and luffy remember things a little differently. thats why ace thought luffy got smacked with a right handed smack while luffy remember a left handed one. this is way more absured then your reasons @gesgift but oda is wacky this might be an actual legit explanation.

about you other point. remember that luffy followed ace fora few monthes. he always said that he wasnt angry at ace and that he wanted them to be friends, so something in the next chapter can make ace change his mind completely about luffy. luffy cares for ace a lot already so if he thought ace died now he would probably cry too.

jimm120
May 10, 2010, 12:55 PM

Hum, yes... the time skip, which is highly probable at this point, would hide the search - of Luffy, or of the crew, or both - and the facts occurred would be shown later on. Yes, it would be the same in anyway. But rationally, I just think it easier and faster for the crew to find one person, than for the captain to find the whole crew members one at a time. And... more touching! Maybe Luffy is gonna be "depressed" or at least "blue" after Ace death... the crew finding him would be... I don't know, encouraging? Something like this. I think Luffy's gonna heal through the reunion with his crew mates. Their existence is the more important thing for Luffy at the moment, and I can't see him pulling through the loss of his brother alone (maybe... Jimbey? But he's not of so much importance now) and just set out to find his crew as nothing has happend. Something must help him through. :eyeroll

I BELIEVE that there will be "mini-arcs" for each strawhat that chronicles 1 or 2 of their adventures while they try to reach Luffy.

After this, there should be a timeskip....

After the timeskip, its going to be arcs that include Luffy, but arcs that are about Luffy but his old crew (one by one) coming back and "finding him". So, in the first arc after the timeskip, 2 people come back. The 2nd arc, someone else comes back...etc etc.

It'll keep going like that until they get all the strawhats.

OR
Luffy or someone can meet someone that can make the Vivre cards some type of teleportation device which teleports them all back together.

The rookie
May 10, 2010, 02:39 PM
screw the time skip !!where should it exactly be ?? Onepiece is about developement, a time skip is like cutting the part everyone likes most away.
I do like to see how Sh crew meets what they have done and for god sakes i want to see then go to FI and afterwards rocking the NW .... Where is there a place for A TIME skip??

Ratatosk
May 10, 2010, 03:37 PM
screw the time skip !!where should it exactly be ?? Onepiece is about developement, a time skip is like cutting the part everyone likes most away.
I do like to see how Sh crew meets what they have done and for god sakes i want to see then go to FI and afterwards rocking the NW .... Where is there a place for A TIME skip??

Yeah, you just summed up why I always think a time skip would be a cop-out. Plus Oda always claims he has too many ideas to fit in the manga, so why would he leave some out? This is a story about sailing around the world (among many other things) after all..

I was just re-reading 20000 leagues under the sea, made me really want to see how awesome Fishman Island is gonna look..

I thought all the Straw-Hats got a piece of the Vivre Card. Luffy was pretty certain that everyone could just follow the vivre card back to Saobody, when he landed on Amazon Lily. So OK, he was a bit of a headcase at the time and soon to be tripping on mushrooms, but you'd have thought he would have remembered, like ohshit-X-isn't-gonna-be-able-to-get-back..

Sawako-Chan
May 10, 2010, 05:00 PM
well...

Now that he's in amazon lily all over again ( and hancock look too happy btw...) i was thinking what if Oda is using the flashback as a sort of time skip ...let me elaborate : While in the flashback luffy get healthy again ( and he's kinda a blockhead...he can't find answer to the simplest problems like 2 + 2 but he's very fast the get that he need a fast power up ) and while we see Luffys past oda hide luffy training...

and about the search for the rest of the crew i don't think it should be too long...and i do want that they make some damage here and there and get they bount higher...after all everbody in sh crew has one thing alike they really do things to the extreme and always smack or blow things up lol

hokageji
May 10, 2010, 05:25 PM
Basically, its back to where Kuma intended them to be. The flashback is the only way to give ace some more storyline in the series. Learning how strong ace's enemies or his future enemies are, it becomes very important for him to get some hakki training. where else but amazon lily would there be a place better.

chess4
May 10, 2010, 05:27 PM
i dont think there will be just one big time skip, i think we will get a series of small skips. i think we get a few days here and there. oda can go so many different ways with the reunion. i think the strawhats will trickle in by 2's. i think chopper will get there with the help of the giant birds, nami can get there with the hot air ballon, sanji can use the marine ship to get back to amazon lilly, the RA may have the means to sail across the calm belt, and franky may get an upgrade so he can fly. brook, zoro, and usopp could probably hitch a ride with the others.
[hr]

Basically, its back to where Kuma intended them to be. The flashback is the only way to give ace some more storyline in the series. Learning how strong ace's enemies or his future enemies are, it becomes very important for him to get some hakki training. where else but amazon lily would there be a place better.

im sure when luffy calms down, hancock will explain to him about kings haki

Nonlife
May 10, 2010, 05:28 PM
The sooner the flashback is over, the sooner we can get the crew back together! This is the first time I've vented about getting the PLOT moving.

chess4
May 10, 2010, 05:53 PM
The sooner the flashback is over, the sooner we can get the crew back together! This is the first time I've vented about getting the PLOT moving.

i feel ya. its going to be at least 2 more chapters before this flashback is over. i know luffy is the main character, but what makes one piece so good is the interaction betwwen all the strawhats. the impel down/whitebeard war saga was great, but im ready to to get back to the others.

coqui018
May 10, 2010, 06:00 PM

i don't think the crew will be back together till the end of the year and starting there new adventures in the new world till the start of next year

deffkryz
May 10, 2010, 07:27 PM
I've been itching to say this - but everytime I stepped back and tried to focus on sth. more important, but I've had enough of it... Sry, if it's too off-topic.

*sigh* Don't you guys think that the PLOT has been moving enough for quite some while? The last real flashback was ... when Hancock told about her past, and since then there has been tons of "action" and PLOT moving: Two of three main bases of the World Government have been taken down, most of the ID prisoners are free, Whitebeard is dead, Magellan (s.o. said to be equal to a Marine admiral!) is down, at least three shichibukai are losing at least their titles etc.

Man, I need a break from PLOT moving and mere continuition from a certain incident. And I'm glad that Oda thought of giving us all a break, and returned that "pure feeling" of One Piece as being an easy readable adventure to us which OP hasn't been for almost a year - instead of a simple timeskip.

Believe me, we'll be thrown back into the "reality" of a world in chaos pretty soon. But for now, I'm so glad to learn more about Luffy - though I don't believe Oda would reveal who actually Luffy's mother is or why Dragon left him behind. Coming back to business as usual, with the Mugiwara reunification and every one of them telling Luffy how sorry they are and then going on with their adventure, just doesn't feel right for the next tens of chapters.

c0nflikt
May 10, 2010, 07:50 PM
I've been itching to say this - but everytime I stepped back and tried to focus on sth. more important, but I've had enough of it... Sry, if it's too off-topic.

*sigh* Don't you guys think that the PLOT has been moving enough for quite some while? The last real flashback was ... when Hancock told about her past, and since then there has been tons of "action" and PLOT moving: Two of three main bases of the World Government have been taken down, most of the ID prisoners are free, Whitebeard is dead, Magellan (s.o. said to be equal to a Marine admiral!) is down, at least three shichibukai are losing at least their titles etc.

Man, I need a break from PLOT moving and mere continuition from a certain incident. And I'm glad that Oda thought of giving us all a break, and returned that "pure feeling" of One Piece as being an easy readable adventure to us which OP hasn't been for almost a year - instead of a simple timeskip.

Believe me, we'll be thrown back into the "reality" of a world in chaos pretty soon. But for now, I'm so glad to learn more about Luffy - though I don't believe Oda would reveal who actually Luffy's mother is or why Dragon left him behind. Coming back to business as usual, with the Mugiwara reunification and every one of them telling Luffy how sorry they are and then going on with their adventure, just doesn't feel right for the next tens of chapters.

What he said, and Gray Terminal is pretty cool man, a lawless trash dump i love the idea of that setting, and a little info on luffys past never hurts.

Super Angillis
May 10, 2010, 10:38 PM
Thing is, we never know when or how Oda is going to drop a bombshell. For example who expected VA Garp to come busting in during the customary post fight resting and eating, wake Luffy up, turn out to be Luffy's grandfather, reveal dragon to be Luffy's father, and exposistion the Yonkou? Also Luffy has been known to have stuff that was major in his past, that he just didn't think was important enougth to bring up. Like that he had a brother. Who was really Gold Rogers son. So while I want to see the strawhats back together again, I won't mind this flashback too much, as long as it's not more than 4 chapters max.

Sawako-Chan
May 10, 2010, 11:03 PM
Thing is, we never know when or how Oda is going to drop a bombshell.

well oda is a expert in blow your minds....just when you think that you got one piece all figured out ...he just come and drop a bomb...and make we go nuts :amuse

anyway...i do hope to see some more of luffy's past...but at the same time i'm dying to see the rest of the crew ...and if there will be another addition...

elitefox
May 10, 2010, 11:11 PM

I wanna correct you " Two of three main bases of the World Government have been taken down"

It's 3 of 3 Luffy took down 2 of them alone and the 3rd one with WB on his side :o

It's a shame of the WG alright

I agree most likely the mother will not be revealed or does he have one lol
or D's wife always dies giving birth to cute naughty kids :darn

I do think Sanji will be the first to be with Straw and last maybe is Zoro since I think he needs a lot of training and better yet reason is

He always at lost in direction :D

I hope chopper can learn how to tame an animal to boost his force, more of a variety to the SH, whadda think?

BlackHair
May 10, 2010, 11:43 PM

*sigh* Don't you guys think that the PLOT has been moving enough for quite some while? No. Just cause the plot was progressing at a good pace, doesn't mean there is a break needed! If you want a break from the plot, then stop reading for 3-4 weeks. I can also advise you to read Bleach: in each chapter there is about 30 seconds plot progression, but if Aizen starts talking it will be around 3 seconds. /sarcasm

This flashback is completely uninteresting and predictable for me. We won't learn shit from Lufy's family or anything relevant. The flashback only solved Dadan for me. Hope this is finished within 3 more chapters. Im just reading the spoilers, not the chapters until this flashback is over.

Sabo is going to die.

deprince69
May 10, 2010, 11:58 PM
im sure when luffy calms down, hancock will explain to him about kings haki

even though luffy is dumb and not much of a wise guy, but when it comes to fighting he seems to have always been doing things his own way and using his own fighting techniques, cuz he is not like zoro to use swords, or like sanji who picked the kicking habbit of Zeff the Red Leg, even with both sanji and zoro, them too they learned everything they use now from so far what we know all by themselves and prolly been given hints to but not majorly told how to use a technique cuz this is not like other shows where they explain how to use and control "energy" ... and i think oda said it somewhere that he would never do that, where we get to some sort of training happen in the modern time... so in conclusion sorry to break it to you but luffy is gonna learn how to use haki on his own, and also we never been hinted that haki can be taught, for all we know haki just happens

bittman
May 11, 2010, 12:29 AM
No. Just cause the plot was progressing at a good pace, doesn't mean there is a break needed! If you want a break from the plot, then stop reading for 3-4 weeks. I can also advise you to read Bleach: in each chapter there is about 30 seconds plot progression, but if Aizen starts talking it will be around 3 seconds. /sarcasm

This flashback is completely uninteresting and predictable for me. We won't learn shit from Lufy's family or anything relevant. The flashback only solved Dadan for me. Hope this is finished within 3 more chapters. Im just reading the spoilers, not the chapters until this flashback is over.

Sabo is going to die.

I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the last chapter had the ever championed "PLOT". The plot is progressing. Luffy is coming to terms with the death of his brother, and in an attempt to fully grasp the emotions which go with this, we are given Luffy's emotions in a flashback of his childhood with Ace.

THAT is plot. What is "not plot", is the endless cameo panels from the WB War. Sure, I hate that, but it's still useful since it's the "setting".

What you are looking for Blackhair, is not just "plot", but "key events". The occurances in a story which serve as tools to drive the plot forward.

Right now, we are coming off a key event in real time (Luffy's recovery physically and mentally) whilst working on key events of the past (What made Luffy and Ace brothers in the first place besides a useless mountain Robber and a parenting-failure of a grandfather).

Just because they aren't Sengoku punching Shanks in the face whilst Blackbeard cannibalises Aokoji who was stopping Ussop from firing Posieden at Mihawk, doesn't mean there is no plot going on here.

That said, this is of course a "break" between arcs. Without breaks, we wouldnt have arcs. And without arcs or breaks, we'd just have a senseless collection of battles and key events with the emotional depth of a speed limit roadsign. This is what Bleach is stuck in at the moment. The neverending arc.

You're most likely right about the flashback being predictable though, and there's a fair bit of potential for nothing new to be revealed. But can't judge on that yet. Robin's and Franky's flashbacks revealed an enormous amount of information, though Brooke's was very personal and skipped a lot of the setting at the time which would have potentially revealed a lot.

El-Thor
May 11, 2010, 12:50 AM
I think the plot is progressing quite nicely. We get an interesting flashback about Luffy and Ace. A new character is introduced (Sabo) and we will find out what happened that Ace and Luffy became so close. At least this isn't a flashback of stuff we've already seen or known -_-

On the same note, I was re-reading the war arc and noticed that there was a panel with a flashback of Ace departing to sea on his pirate ship (more like a small boat) http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/552/06/ . I think that's where this current flashback will end. So we will probably get at least two more chapters until Oda shows us the current situation once again.

I don't know if this has been brought up or not, but in the link I posted above, Ace's flag shows flames on his hat so I'm assuming he has his DF already. I wonder if has at at the current point in time and if he will use it to save Luffy??

Freakzin
May 11, 2010, 12:59 AM
It seems more that the first flag was just stripes. And the flag that Garp is looking, the one that has flames on it, is a flag of a pirate crew that has a reputation. So I'm guessing two different times for those panels.

hellz88
May 11, 2010, 01:04 AM
I think the plot is progressing quite nicely. We get an interesting flashback about Luffy and Ace. A new character is introduced (Sabo) and we will find out what happened that Ace and Luffy became so close. At least this isn't a flashback of stuff we've already seen or known -_-

On the same note, I was re-reading the war arc and noticed that there was a panel with a flashback of Ace departing to sea on his pirate ship (more like a small boat) http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/552/06/ . I think that's where this current flashback will end. So we will probably get at least two more chapters until Oda shows us the current situation once again.

I don't know if this has been brought up or not, but in the link I posted above, Ace's flag shows flames on his hat so I'm assuming he has his DF already. I wonder if has at at the current point in time and if he will use it to save Luffy??

LOL, yeah he has his DF then.

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/552/06/

Same page, just a few panels over

BlackHair
May 11, 2010, 01:13 AM
What you are looking for Blackhair, is not just "plot", but "key events". The occurances in a story which serve as tools to drive the plot forward.This is true. I was wishing for a flashback which equals Robin's or Franky's on information.

Though about the rest of your post, I believe there is a misunderstanding, I wasn't saying the plot came to a stop. Character development is plot progression, I know at least that much. I was just answering on delfkryz post, who was talking about the recent plot pace.

The moment Ace was killed and Luffy went into ghost mode, I was expecting some sort of character development for both of them. Im very well aware that this is needed to deepen Ace's role as well as for Luffy's recovery. However this is a flashback about the main protagonist, so I was expecting more than chibi Luffy and Ace. I just wish this flashback was more like Robin's or Franky's which is tied to the outside world. Since both Ace and Luffy have ties with the grand-line and the major powers out there, I was wishing for sth. Now thinking back I can't believe what I was hoping for. This was destined to happen the moment Ace died.

Anyway, this is way too predictable and since I have personally no interest in AcexLuffy, since flashback is quite boring for me. Nothing big is going to happen. Many may not understand what Im expecting, likewise I don't understand why some ppl are excited about this flashback.

I wonder if has at at the current point in time and if he will use it to save Luffy??Nope (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/159/08/) (panel 1).

Sabo is going to die.

Ashura_Ichibugin
May 11, 2010, 05:06 AM
I wanna correct you " Two of three main bases of the World Government have been taken down"

It's 3 of 3 Luffy took down 2 of them alone and the 3rd one with WB on his side :o

It's a shame of the WG alright

I agree most likely the mother will not be revealed or does he have one lol
or D's wife always dies giving birth to cute naughty kids :darn

I do think Sanji will be the first to be with Straw and last maybe is Zoro since I think he needs a lot of training and better yet reason is

He always at lost in direction :D

I hope chopper can learn how to tame an animal to boost his force, more of a variety to the SH, whadda think?

If you read carefully, you will realize that what he says is two of three main bases of the World Government have been taken down since when Hancock told about her past.

Akainu
May 11, 2010, 09:35 AM
Please don't post any spoilers or spoilertalk here, you know the rules, so stick to it and if you find something you think is reliable pm a mod (greens of this section or globals)- thx

johnnyb7
May 11, 2010, 10:33 AM
I'm thinking that with this mini arc they're gonna show how Ace got his devil fruit power and I'm guessing that Sabo is going to die in the process.

DLord.Van.Buuren
May 11, 2010, 10:34 AM
I'm thinking that with this mini arc they're gonna show how Ace got his devil fruit power and I'm guessing that Sabo is going to die in the process.

im not sure actually because , ace didnt have his DF until he set out to sea .

LeDuck
May 11, 2010, 10:41 AM
The ship he uses to leave the island looks completely different to the second one, which is a LOT bigger and has the "spades" jolly roger. Also luffy said that he didn't know that ace had a devil fruit, so he got the fruit in the grand line and not on their island. I don't know what might happen to Sabo, but I don't recall Oda killing little children^^
Though at the moment it looks like Sabo is going to die / taken / betray Ace.

topkomputer
May 11, 2010, 11:40 AM
The ship he uses to leave the island looks completely different to the second one, which is a LOT bigger and has the "spades" jolly roger. Also luffy said that he didn't know that ace had a devil fruit, so he got the fruit in the grand line and not on their island. I don't know what might happen to Sabo, but I don't recall Oda killing little children^^

Oda killed ohara children remember?

monkey D luffy
May 11, 2010, 12:32 PM
and this is? it is more then plausible that sabo died. i also think he will be the first young child to be killed on screen (flachback or not)

GoE
May 11, 2010, 01:11 PM
and this is? it is more then plausible that sabo died. i also think he will be the first young child to be killed on screen (flachback or not)

well, Kuina died too, but not on screen :oh

Schabrak
May 11, 2010, 02:47 PM
It was alays about people being killed on screen, not dying due to illness and etc. Off course all people of Ohara did die, child, elders, families, but not due to shots on screen if I remember right. Correct me if I'm wrong. Ace should have been the first named one.

GomuGomuNoBigBoner
May 11, 2010, 02:58 PM
what with those alabasta retards confronting crocodile with the power of this magic water - didnt dey die?

monkey D luffy
May 11, 2010, 03:16 PM
look no one besides ace and WB died on screen at thje present time. all those who died were either killed off screen or in flashbacks. i dont recall someone dying on screen and confirmed to be dead at present times. people here said that oda said in an interview that he doesnt like to kill off chars because there are better ways to make drama.

Razh
May 11, 2010, 04:03 PM
People beside Ace and Whitebeard died in the present storyline, not only in flashbacks. Period.
They weren't main characters, but whatever. When Oda said that he doesn't like to kill off characters, he obviously meant more important characters, that can in fact be important to the story. He didn't mean characters like that Duck Squad or Nero.

OunknownO
May 11, 2010, 04:06 PM
I don't think that Oda will kill sabo.... We can see here http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/583/12/
that he gave how old is sabo in this flashback, I think that we will see him in the future.

PS. I'm dying, it's already tuesday and there aren't any kind of spoilers.... Give us fakes at least

monkey D luffy
May 11, 2010, 04:06 PM
once again like many times in the past (way too many i need to start shuting up)
i stand corrected

panasit
May 11, 2010, 04:48 PM
I think if Sabo died Ace wouldn't say "that sabo thing" when he was talking about why he wanted to live.

With his teeth and cape, he looks eerily like young black beard. I know he's not blackbeard, but I thought the design look interesting.

Ratatosk
May 11, 2010, 07:16 PM
What he looks like is the Artful Dodger :D
It seems like he's Ace's only friend before Luffy arrives though, so that could be enough to make someone want to keep living. Having one friend is the difference between hell and a fun life at that age. He does seem a bit too distinctive-looking to be killed off straight away though.

I really hope they explain at some point why Ace was going after Whitebeard later on.. unless he was just trying to defeat the strongest pirate he could find or something.

I wants spoilers too! Did all the spoiler-leakers get lynched after it was leaked so early last time? we are getting a chapter aren't we? :(
wow I never used to be this impatient before I started reading One Piece..

El-Thor
May 11, 2010, 08:06 PM
I don't think Sabo will die. I think some people on here already mentioned the possibility of Sabo running away with the money. I also don't find it too far-fetched that he will run off with those pirates.

BetaRuler
May 11, 2010, 08:25 PM
PS. I'm dying, it's already tuesday and there aren't any kind of spoilers.... Give us fakes at least

PFFFFT wanting even fake spoilers because your desperate, that is SO SO SAD... so so sad... sssoooo *starts crying to himself* I'M SAD TOO BWAAAAH ;_;

You know, considering Sabo just turned up you people are throwing a lot of hype for him, but I don't think he'll be all that important ^_^`

Ashura_Ichibugin
May 11, 2010, 08:37 PM

You can try telling that to Kuina :D

fistsofrage
May 11, 2010, 09:52 PM
Even though there are no spoilers im pretty sure mangastream should have the chapter out tomorrow.

BlindMunkey
May 11, 2010, 10:08 PM
You can try telling that to Kuina :D

there is a difference. she wasn't killed by someone.

luffy hasnt changed since he was little as we can see in this flashback. lol he cracks me up.

El-Thor
May 11, 2010, 10:27 PM

Didn't the Marines kill every newborn baby in the town Ace was born? I don't recall what exactly happened.

BlackHair
May 11, 2010, 10:28 PM
Is the "Oda never kills a named character on screen" still going on? Wasn't it enough as Oda owned us with on screen kills of Ace and WB?

Sabo is going to die. Panel 3 (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/552/06/), Ace wears the same outfit as Sabo (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/583/12/). Which I only just noticed by reading chapter 583 xD though I believe it was already mentioned. Anyway, I have now even stronger reasons to believe that Sabo died.

El-Thor
May 11, 2010, 10:41 PM
I wouldn't say it's THE same. It's similar because of the hat/goggles and black shirt. But there's big difference in their overall outfits. I do understand what you're trying to point out though and I'm hoping you're right.

Maybe they're wearing all the junk people throw out... which happens to be all the same :D

fistsofrage
May 11, 2010, 11:20 PM
We'll see what kind of person sabo is soon enough. All you guys hoping for youthful blood is kind of making me sick. If sabo doesn't die im gonna laugh my ass off.

BlackHair
May 12, 2010, 01:07 AM
We'll see what kind of person sabo is soon enough. All you guys hoping for youthful blood is kind of making me sick. If sabo doesn't die im gonna laugh my ass off.The only thing I hoping for is a end to this flashback.

Ace wears similar (@El-Thor (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1910122&postcount=418) you are right, I used the wrong word) clothes as Sabo used to and he was mentioned in Ace's last words as one of the two reasons to live. To me it sounds like Sabo passed away and in respect to him Ace wore his clothing style and he tried to live Sabos share of dream of pirating. So Im not hoping for him to die, but most likely he will die. Not to mention we are still missing a death case in Luffy's past. Don't misunderstand, Im not saying there is a unwritten rule that there has to be a dead case within the SHs past.

Lyn685
May 12, 2010, 01:18 AM
I don´t get you people.
Sabos clothing doesn´t look like Aces at all, not even the hat.

BlackHair
May 12, 2010, 01:27 AM
I don´t get you people.
Sabos clothing doesn´t look like Aces at all, not even the hat.
Of course there are some changes due to size but the style is the same. Black is my hint.

Lyn685
May 12, 2010, 01:39 AM
Of course there are some changes due to size but the style is the same. Black is my hint.
That argument doesn´t really work.
Inazuma for example was drawn black in the manga, but he was orange in reality.
Besides, even if Sabos hat was black, Aces hat was black only for a very short time.

OunknownO
May 12, 2010, 01:46 AM

luffy hasnt changed since he was little as we can see in this flashback. lol he cracks me up.

Wrong. She was killed by the stair XD

BlackHair
May 12, 2010, 01:50 AM
That argument doesn´t really work.
Inazuma for example was drawn black in the manga, but he was orange in reality.
Besides, even if Sabos hat was black, Aces hat was black only for a very short time.
It's not only the damn colour. Sabos hat has goggles same with Ace's hat. I don't care about minor differences, but the general style especially the part with the goggle is the same. Are you seriously denying that?

Lyn685
May 12, 2010, 02:05 AM
It's not only the damn colour. Sabos hat has goggles same with Ace's hat. I don't care about minor differences, but the general style especially the part with the goggle is the same. Are you seriously denying that?
Aces hat has no goggles...
And the shapes of these two hats are also very different.

monkey D luffy
May 12, 2010, 02:05 AM

but there is a distinct difference. and i know its been said already and disregarded by you but the size is not comparable.
look here: http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/583/12/
the edges of the hat are perfectly proportional to sabo's head but the hat is way too high. if anything its more like a magician's hat rather then a cowboy hat ace had with him
but i might be wrong. i just dont think this is ace's hat thats all. we cant prove of disprove anything yet.

BlackHair
May 12, 2010, 02:21 AM
Im aware that Ace goggle has no glasses, but it looks like goggle if you look at Sabos character design. Im also aware that he is wearing a different hat. But to me these are minor differences. The overall layout, the general style is too similar to deny a connection. Ace copied Sabos clothing style. That's what Im trying to say.

Sabo is either dead or missing. I tend to dead.

monkey D luffy
May 12, 2010, 02:25 AM
or sabo was part of the spade pirates and gave ace clothing tips XD

Lyn685
May 12, 2010, 02:29 AM
Im aware that Ace goggle has no glasses, but it looks like goggle if you look at Sabos character design. Im also aware that he is wearing a different hat. But to me this are minor differences. The overall layout, the general style is too similar to deny a connection. Ace copied Sabos clothing style. That's what Im trying to say.

Sabo is either dead or missing. I tend to dead.
The only thing the overall designs of Ace and Sabo have in common is that they both wear something on their head.
So that is like you just said to me that everyone wearing a hat looks similar to Ace.
Because if there is anything else on Sabo that reminds you of Ace, I haven´t seen it.

OQO
May 12, 2010, 02:37 AM
Even if there is s similar dressing style (just wearing a hat with ornaments...?), it doesn't mean Sabo inspired Ace. Maybe on that island it's a mode!! :p

BlackHair
May 12, 2010, 02:40 AM
The only thing the overall designs of Ace and Sabo have in common is that they both wear something on their head.
So that is like you just said to me that everyone wearing a hat looks similar to Ace.
Because if there is anything else on Sabo that reminds you of Ace, I haven´t seen it.
So you are saying there is 0% similarly between Ace (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/552/06/) and Sabo (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/583/12/)?

I rly hope he dies xD

OQO
May 12, 2010, 02:48 AM
If Sabo's hat will be orange... you'll be right. There will be something similar: the color!

Edit: Still No Spoilers?? How comes?... T___T

Lyn685
May 12, 2010, 02:52 AM
So you are saying there is 0% similarly between Ace (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/552/06/) and Sabo (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/583/12/)?

I rly hope he dies xD

I don`t see any resemblance.
They are wearing a lot of black clothing, but that is surely because the manga.

And why does everyone want Sabo dead? Its not like hes annoying or something, we don´t even know him yet.
And that "New Character dying in Flashback"-thing really gets old slowly.

OQO
May 12, 2010, 03:05 AM
He's gonna flee! At the beginning I thought he would die too, but now I'm quite sure he won't: it's Luffy's flashback and we all know that Ace's gonna be happier not soberer later on. There's no reason to introduce a character, dear to a death one, to just let him die... no one is going to mourn Sabo! Luffy doesn't care 'cause he's got his brother to mourn and he didn't know Sabo!! Ace doesn't care either 'cause he's dead... And, as others said before, there's no reason to characterize him so well to just kill him: Luffy will encounter him again! And... maybe he is going to become a SH!!! (I would like it!!)

monkey D luffy
May 12, 2010, 03:18 AM
nice idea! hope he is strong enough. and alive.

Ruhina
May 12, 2010, 03:54 AM
I don't know if anyone has predicted it, but I think Ace will end this arc by gaining and eating the Mero Mero no mi (though it makes no sense why the pirates haven't eaten it already).

Razh
May 12, 2010, 04:06 AM
I don't know if anyone has predicted it, but I think Ace will end this arc by gaining and eating the Mero Mero no mi (though it makes no sense why the pirates haven't eaten it already).

Lol, I'm getting tired of linking this page (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/159/07/) and the next one (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/159/08/).:)

Bonfire01
May 12, 2010, 05:23 AM

As Razh said... definitely won't unless we randomly skip forwards to Ace on the high seas after leaving the village which I doubt. I think it's more likely we'll get to see Luffy's gomu gomu no pistol if anything.

DLord.Van.Buuren
May 12, 2010, 06:40 AM
what , no way we are gonna have a prolonged flash back following ace's adventure that would be a drag .

Organizized
May 12, 2010, 07:16 AM
How could we even get a flashback of Ace's adventure? Luffy is the one having the flashbacks. He wasn't there when Ace was on his adventure so he doesn't have any idea of what happened. The last thing we could possibly see of Ace in this flashback is the last thing Luffy saw back then: him sailing off over the horizon.

Unless it includes showing recent events of Luffy and Ace again, and what would be the point of that?