PDA

View Full Version : Chapter One Piece 583 Discussion / 584 Prediction

Pages : [1] 2

Akainu
April 21, 2010, 02:58 PM
If you haven't seen the goodies yet, you can check them out in the Spoiler pics and summaries thread (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1890936) This is where you can discuss all about them. But remember no spamming.

Please remember: NO SPOILERS OUTSIDE THE SPOILER THREADS. This rule will be strictly enforced. Please respect those that don't want to be spoiled. Thanks

Please note that this chapter was published in a double issue of WSJ, this means that there will be no chapter next week.

Go grab the chapter here (http://mangahelpers.com/m/one-piece/chapters/583). :)

Bludvein
May 01, 2010, 05:37 AM
Thanks alot, looking forward to trans.

Trikz
May 01, 2010, 05:40 AM
wow, its out early this week :), cant wait for trans

ScratchmenApoo
May 01, 2010, 05:41 AM
From that spoiler it's only about Luffy & Ace as kids ? If the whole chapter is only a giant flashback, I'll be heavily disappointed.

neomaster121
May 01, 2010, 05:48 AM
From that spoiler it's only about Luffy & Ace as kids ? If the whole chapter is only a giant flashback, I'll be heavily disappointed.

i was expecting the next few chapters to be flashbacks so to be fair its not too dissappointing

gunseed
May 01, 2010, 05:54 AM
only flashback suck :(

ScratchmenApoo
May 01, 2010, 06:04 AM
i was expecting the next few chapters to be flashbacks so to be fair its not too dissappointing

Well, we've been waiting for 2 weeks, so I'll take anything, but..
I want the current story to be progressing as well, even if it is just a few panels.

Morlun
May 01, 2010, 06:18 AM

We got a multi-chapter flashback for every character involving their most defining, traumatic moment, with said character in tears.

Up until now, Luffy was pretty much an idiot with a positive attitude that believed he could do anything. We all loved him like that, but life often teaches you that, well, it sucks.

This was Luffy's defining moment. More than Shabaody, where he failed, but bounced back with "they all have the vivre card, I'll meet up with all of them", here he failed and his brother died.

I expect nothing but for him to double his resolve, but for Luffy, these chapters will be the equivalent to Robin's "I want to live!", Nami's "Luffy... help me.", and every other character's moment, acompanied by a multi-chapter flashback.

The only difference is that usually the characters flashed back to the traumatic moment, while Luffy is living it.

Face it, One Piece will be around for years more. Why the rush? Enjoy the ride. Let us learn about our main character a bit, no? :)

Lord Rayleigh
May 01, 2010, 06:24 AM
Well, we've been waiting for 2 weeks, so I'll take anything, but..
I want the current story to be progressing as well, even if it is just a few panels.
The current story to progress ? You can be sure it won't happen.

This is a chapter dedicated to Luffy's past. You won't find in the next pages or next chapters what happens to other characters. That would be extremely tactless from Oda to go from Luffy's past to what is happening elsewhere for a different person.

And the story cannot continue with Luffy either because he is out for a while. He is not in the middle of an arc like it was with the other SHs'flashbacks.
In fact, this is the first flashback which happens after the end a saga - Whitebeard War saga. So you'll have to wait for the chapter announcing a timeskip for the story to go on.

OdaForPresident
May 01, 2010, 06:35 AM
The chapter is a flashback, ace seems to to get into some trouble with pirates and luffy get's caught trying to protect ace.

Romanov D Paul
May 01, 2010, 06:51 AM
Seems so, even google translation is more or less quite clear on the whole thing. It seems like there are also fragments of Luffy's and Ace's firsts months together, and I can read the word "Sabo" and "Savo" in it too... guess what are they talking about :D.

549: ohana ◆ IR7jauNn4E: 2010/05 / 01 (Sat) 18:11:49 ID: i6UR4y1XP
If I come, I'm sorry I asked.

583 things terminus uncertain

The food and water I'll prepare, prepare yourself Dadan to get him to eat meat if
Luffy work chores.

Ace going anywhere
Not something chores, chasing luffy ace
Only home first ace
Luffy is dilapidated home a week later

However, Luffy and Ace go after a month every day for two months

Gray terminal waste time just take over 3 months

On the tree near Savo
Call Ace Sabo
Ace and Sabo and the evil, pirates have a savings
Luffy there. It'd be a pirate too.
Luffy had to know the secrets of the Ace Sabo
Sabo Aces can not be tied to a tree to kill Luffy. (From people who have not yet Koroshita)

There giant
Ace, stole money from this guy
Giant is looking for an ace
Luffy Luffy caught for help

Giant, ask whether you know Ace Luffy
You know
Do not know where all the money?
Unknown (bad lie Luffy)

I'll remind! Snatch.

Help? Leave?
Next issue.

556: ohana ◆ IR7jauNn4E: 2010/05 / 01 (Sat) 18:18:24 ID: i6UR4y1XP
>> 554
The name of the Giant
Blue Jam Porushemi Pirates Mariners
Long hair who looks bulky

monkey D luffy
May 01, 2010, 07:24 AM
i really wanna see that flashback more then anything right now. i mean its right plotwise and gets the story going in my eyes. after remembering what happened in the past luffy might be able to embrace his grief and come out more powerful and determined to find his friends. i believe that he will go after them instead of them coming to find him. after this flashback we will learn how the brothers in mind had such a deep relationship although they knew each other for not many years (6 if my calculations are correct maybe 7) and having different parants and being pretty much stuck together.

i really wanna read this one.

lawlord
May 01, 2010, 07:56 AM
wow just thinking about Luffy protecting Ace makes me really sad. God damn these are going to be tear tearjerkers

Organizized
May 01, 2010, 08:07 AM
A giant is looking for Ace because apparently Ace stole money from him, and Luffy lies and says he doesn't know where Ace is? Something along those lines.

"Sabo" is mentioned. I was expecting to have that explained in this flashback actually, since it was just briefly mentioned the first time (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/574/10/). Not sure if Sabo is a person, though I think so. I don't think it's the giant, though.

Darkever
May 01, 2010, 08:18 AM
Only flashback is a bit boring, but I guess it's inevitable after this much action. That aside, isn't a bit too soon for spoilers? It's saturday! O_O

hot_chips
May 01, 2010, 08:31 AM
First few lines are about odd jobs that Luffy does, preparing food and such, time periods of 1,2 and 3 months.
Something about either Ace or Luffy trying to catch up to one another.

Ace wants to become and pirate and so does Luffy after meeting some pirate.
Ace steals a giants gold, Luffy lies about him not knowing where it is.
I think Luffy gets kidnapped by the giant Sabo and the next issue will be him getting rescued.

Japanese is my third language so this isn't too accurate.

Organizized
May 01, 2010, 08:32 AM
Only flashback is a bit boring, but I guess it's inevitable after this much action. That aside, isn't a bit too soon for spoilers? It's saturday! O_O

The reason I'm not calling this fake right away (which I usually do with these early spoilers) is that it's not farfetched, not full of fan theories coming true and that it's been Golden Week. I'm not too sure about the details, always found this holiday rather confusing, but what I have learned is that releases and spoilers around this time doesn't really have to follow the normal week's pattern.

fleurlolie
May 01, 2010, 08:46 AM
When was the last time luffy got a flashback? I mean a "personal" flashback (No Ace, No SHs involved).
So why are some of you guys saying if it's not fake you'll be disappointed or the chapter's gonna be boring? Since when have you lost all trust in Oda ? :blink

PS : someone knows what happened to Black Lagoon? (Banned or something? ) I was looking for his posts but didn't find any, it's weird because he is was the most active member here in One Piece's forum :s

TonyTonyChopper
May 01, 2010, 09:24 AM
whatever you say... I cant deny my feelings... flashback is a definitely boring... I still hope it is a fake spoiler

fleurlolie
May 01, 2010, 09:36 AM
Well, it's just a matter of opinions, but I got a question for you, what were your feelings after knowing who's Dadan, Roger, Ace & Luffy ...
In my opinion flashbacks aren't that bad. :)

Lord Rayleigh
May 01, 2010, 09:39 AM
PS : someone knows what happened to Black Lagoon? (Banned or something? ) I was looking for his posts but didn't find any, it's weird because he is was the most active member here in One Piece's forum :s
He is not banned. It's only that he did not go to the forum since April 11th.
See there (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/member.php?u=76319). He probably has important things to do.

Googlez_kun
May 01, 2010, 09:45 AM
Luffy is not that interesting as a character,so i understand people complain about it.

Gats
May 01, 2010, 09:47 AM
Luffy is not that interesting as a character,so i understand people complain about it.

What do you mean ? :blink

chess4
May 01, 2010, 09:52 AM
the chapter will explore a bit about luffy and ace's relationship is cool, but i can see why people feel its going to be boring. we go from the from the action packed war at marineford to story and development time, plus we had to wait a week after oda had already taken a break a couple weeks before.

my thing is(and yes i know im reaching and an optomist) if ace comes back then its worth it

Googlez_kun
May 01, 2010, 09:56 AM
What do you mean ? :blink

What i mean is that in comparison to other main characters from other manga Luffy's past is rather boring(that might still change with the D in his name and maybe with the upcoming chapters,though) and his character is not that complex as well.

Shisu
May 01, 2010, 10:19 AM
What i mean is that in comparison to other main characters from other manga Luffy's past is rather boring(that might still change with the D in his name and maybe with the upcoming chapters,though) and his character is not that complex as well.

What is complex about Ichigo who just beats his enemies because he has to, or Naruto who can't do anything else than running after an emo who abandoned the entire world ?

edit: I should read more properly. Forget what I said. :facepalm

fleurlolie
May 01, 2010, 10:19 AM

What about Luffy's mom? isn't she interesting
All we know about Luffy's past is after Shanks visit, so boring ... boring I don't think is the right word to describe his past in my opinion. ;)

Googlez_kun
May 01, 2010, 10:29 AM
What is complex about Ichigo who just beats his enemies because he has to, or Naruto who can't do anything else than running after an emo who abandoned the entire world ?
Don't come with the meanest example that is Ichigo.He has not developed at all and he is not complex as well,it's Bleach>_>

And Naruto do is quite complex as a character,I could write you an essay about it.That's why i like him so much^^

Edit:Ah okay^^

What about Luffy's mom? isn't she interesting
All we know about Luffy's past is after Shanks visit, so boring ... boring I don't think is the right word to describe his past in my opinion. ;)

Got me there,Luffy's mom do is interesting:p

And i didn't want to say that he is boring,but he pales in comparison to other main characters,at least for me.

RichardMNixon
May 01, 2010, 10:36 AM
What i mean is that in comparison to other main characters from other manga Luffy's past is rather boring

You mean the past that we basically haven't learned anything about until now, and now that we finally are learning about it, a load of people are complaining that we have to? We don't know enough about Luffy's past to call it boring.

Chill guys, soon we'll be seeing one of the defining moments in Ace's life, whatever Sabo is. Also a giant will get ruined. I'm hoping to see lil' Ace and Luffy fight, but seeing Dadan or Garp in action would be cool too.
[hr]
Wouldn't be surprised if we see the genesis of this conversation: http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/574/17/

Googlez_kun
May 01, 2010, 10:41 AM
You mean the past that we basically haven't learned anything about until now, and now that we finally are learning about it, a load of people are complaining that we have to? We don't know enough about Luffy's past to call it boring.

Chill guys, soon we'll be seeing one of the defining moments in Ace's life, whatever Sabo is. Also a giant will get ruined. I'm hoping to see lil' Ace and Luffy fight, but seeing Dadan or Garp in action would be cool too.

I think the fact that we get to see something from Luffy's past should be something interesting,but this chapter and probably the next chapters only seem to be there to deepen Ace's and Luffy's relationship,which is not a bad thing,but it's not that interesting either.

I would prefer seeing a flashback with Luffy's mom or something more interesting.

fleurlolie
May 01, 2010, 10:43 AM
there,Luffy's mom do is interesting:p

And i didn't want to say that he is boring,but he pales in comparison to other main characters,at least for me.

I know what you mean, He didn't have much impact in his childhood like Naruto (kyuubi) but we have no idea about what happened before Shanks visit. :amuse

Googlez_kun
May 01, 2010, 10:55 AM
Just saw the spoiler pic,Sabo looks really funny:D

RichardMNixon
May 01, 2010, 10:57 AM
I know what you mean, He didn't have much impact in his childhood like Naruto (kyuubi) but we have no idea about what happened before Shanks visit. :amuse

Yeah, it's not like he ate a devil fruit as a child, or was sired by the most dangerous man in the world, or was raised alongside the son of the pirate king, or was respected by one of the most powerful pirates in the world, or was born with the Will of D.

Yeah, his childhood was pretty run of the mill. I mean look how bored these marines are to discover something about his past. Yawn... (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/432/17/)

Come on now, guys.
<hr noshade size="1">

Just saw the spoiler pic,Sabo looks really funny:D

We don't know that that's Sabo or that Sabo is a person, but that does kind of look like Ace's hat. Just gotta switch out the goggles for the faces.

Googlez_kun
May 01, 2010, 11:01 AM
Yeah, it's not like he ate a devil fruit as a child, or was sired by the most dangerous man in the world, or was raised alongside the son of the pirate king, or was respected by one of the most powerful pirates in the world, or was born with the Will of D.
Yeah, his childhood was pretty run of the mill. Come on now, guys.
<hr noshade size="1">
Does not change the fact that his character is not really complex.
We still have to see what the stuff with the Will of D. is,so it might get more complex.

We don't know that that's Sabo or that Sabo is a person, but that does kind of look like Ace's hat. Just gotta switch out the goggles for the faces.

I just read his name in the box,so it has to be him ^^

Katz
May 01, 2010, 11:07 AM

Well sometimes more often then not after a "Golden week" a few early REAL spoilers will appear here and there

OH! and I don't see why people are saying flashbacks are (this flashback in particular) is boring, to me its moving the story along because its gonna be a huge factor in Luffy's recovery from his bodily injures but also his mental ones as well

goldb
May 01, 2010, 11:12 AM
Until she is mentioned, Luffy's mum will NOT be introduced. flashback or not. That's more or less how it works in OP, a character is mentioned then introduced. I'm not saying it's a general rule or something but looking at many characters that's how it happened. I'm quite looking forward to seeing Luffy's backstory, unlike many people which I don't get...

So far we've only had glimpses into his childhood, and now we'll know more about his and Ace's relationship and how they became brothers. Plus the Sabo character is introduced, I'm interested in what role he plays in the story and what happened to him. Maybe he is the reason Luffy and Ace are close.

BlackHair
May 01, 2010, 11:19 AM
I think the fact that we get to see something from Luffy's past should be something interesting,but this chapter and probably the next chapters only seem to be there to deepen Ace's and Luffy's relationship,which is not a bad thing,but it's not that interesting either.

I would prefer seeing a flashback with Luffy's mom or something more interesting.I completely agree with you. Im not interested in the AcexLuffy relationship either. They were brothers, they cared for each other. I don't need to know any more. We have already Luffy's tears and his reaction on the battlefield for that purpose. The only interesting part of that flashback was Dadan, now since it is finished I lost all my interest in that flashback.

It would be more interesting to know LuffyxDragon or DragonxGarp sth like that.

JetPistol
May 01, 2010, 11:20 AM
Anyone notice the hat Sabo is wearing? That's the hat ace wears.

SimpsKwan
May 01, 2010, 11:33 AM
I don't really understand why people don't like flashbacks when at least half of One Piece's best moments are the flashbacks (Robin's, Franky's, Brook's, Chopper's, Noland's, etc. etc.). One Piece will never be famous as it is if it contains only actions and no character development.

Lord Rayleigh
May 01, 2010, 11:35 AM
Could you wait for the chapter to be out before complaining about it ? Thanks.

Xerous
May 01, 2010, 11:41 AM
Don't come with the meanest example that is Ichigo.He has not developed at all and he is not complex as well,it's Bleach>_>

And Naruto do is quite complex as a character,I could write you an essay about it.That's why i like him so much^^

i don't think naruto is a great example:darn
[hr]
who's the kid with no hair?

Organizized
May 01, 2010, 11:52 AM
Anyone notice the hat Sabo is wearing? That's the hat ace wears.

Yeah. Actually, his whole outfit is probably the one that Ace is wearing when he sets off to be a pirate. (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/552/06/) I'm sure we'll get an explanation for that.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's something like "Sabo wants to become a famous pirate, Sabo gets ill and dies (or something like that) but Ace promises to become a famous pirate in his place". Or something along those lines (based only off an outfit and the fact that Ace said "the Sabo thing" was one of the only things that made him want to live). But that's just random speculation, it's really too early to make up theories like that.

who's the kid with no hair?

I suppose you're talking about Sabo. And he's got hair.

BlackHair
May 01, 2010, 11:53 AM
I don't really understand why people don't like flashbacks when at least half of One Piece's best moments are the flashbacks (Robin's, Franky's, Brook's, Chopper's, Noland's, etc. etc.). I don't rly have anything against flashbacks, but in this case there is rly nothing to learn from. The flashbacks you listed solved some mysterious or was plot-wise relevant like Robin's or Noland's, but I don't see how this flashback holds the same value. The way I see it is only about Luffy and Ace and their background. To deepen Ace's role in the manga.

Could you wait for the chapter to be out before complaining about it ? Thanks.There is no need to wait for the chapter, if the content is already clear predictable. It is about the Ace and Luffy's relationship. Im sure we won't learn anything new which rly matters. At most Oda could introduce new characters, which might appear in future plot, but honestly that wouldn't be interesting either. The only unsolved and interesting part in this was Dadan, which now is also solved.

At the moment Im rly wishing Oda to end this flashback as soon as he can. Since there seems to be nothing worth interesting for me.

RichardMNixon
May 01, 2010, 11:57 AM
The only unsolved and interesting part in this was Dadan, which now is also solved.

Most of it's a matter of opinion I guess, but I would hardly call seeing a picture of Dadan and a few lines of dialogue "solved." We still know very little about the relationship between Ace/Luffy and Dadan.

craziii
May 01, 2010, 11:59 AM
why do people like to turn onepiece into another naruto or bleach when onepiece is clearly better in every way? if you like emo fests(narutard) or fights that has no meaning + crap of a story(bleach) please don't try to ruin onepiece.

leave it alone.

a few chaps on luffy's past should be nice. we all know how luffy is, now we get to see how he turned up that way.

JetPistol
May 01, 2010, 12:03 PM
this flashback isn't for luffy as much as it is to explain the bond luffy and ace had as children...it's fair enough that oda wants to show more of ace's backstory because his death was pretty premature after all, less qq please.

Googlez_kun
May 01, 2010, 12:06 PM
why do people like to turn onepiece into another naruto or bleach when onepiece is clearly better in every way? if you like emo fests(narutard) or fights that has no meaning + crap of a story(bleach) please don't try to ruin onepiece.

leave it alone.

a few chaps on luffy's past should be nice. we all know how luffy is, now we get to see how he turned up that way.
So now we are getting to the OPtards that think that OP is perfect in every way,huh?

And what is with this messed up comparison?
Especially now after seeing Luffy's reactions to his brother's death you should understand the intense brother theme in Naruto.Srsly,it's okay for Luffy to chase Ace to the end of the world,but not for Naruto to do the same for Sasuke,who is as much of a brother Naruto as Ace is to Luffy.

Organizized
May 01, 2010, 12:09 PM

leave it alone.

While I do find One Piece (notice the space between the words) to be a lot better than the other two, posts like this make me kind of embarrased to be a One Piece fan. I'd rather see comments comparing the three to each other than posts dedicating to throw worn out insults at the other manga and the ones that even mention them in the same sentence as One Piece. Just saying. Bashing someone for having another opinion can make you look stupid.

Also, for the people saying everything about Luffy and Ace's past has already come to a resolve: we were just introduced to a new character. A character that was mentioned along with Luffy as "the only things Ace had to live for". That's not resolved yet.

ScratchmenApoo
May 01, 2010, 12:13 PM
I could only see a glimpse of the first and fifth spoiler picture in leo5630's post but they refuse to completely load for me.
Do they work for you ?
If someone could rehost them somewhere and pm me the links, that would be wonderful.

Truefan21
May 01, 2010, 12:30 PM
So hogback and absalom are showed on a cover page, it must mean moria is dead

chess4
May 01, 2010, 12:40 PM
i guess this is ace's reason for wanting to be pirates. looks like sabo is dead and ace promised him to be a great pirate one day, so thats why he took his hat.

Fox666
May 01, 2010, 12:40 PM
I could only see a glimpse of the first and fifth spoiler picture in leo5630's post but they refuse to completely load for me.
Do they work for you ?
If someone could rehost them somewhere and pm me the links, that would be wonderful.Imageshack:

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/8959/201005019a86bcb4272f0d0.jpg
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/3820/20100501ce314d789f3a3d9.jpg
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/6277/20100501a25f7a9bf80d864.jpg
http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/9201/20100501a5fc13922ad947d.jpg
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/8321/20100501fabdeccfa3c368c.jpg

Duzy
May 01, 2010, 12:47 PM
There is no need to wait for the chapter, if the content is already clear predictable. It is about the Ace and Luffy's relationship. Im sure we won't learn anything new which rly matters. At most Oda could introduce new characters, which might appear in future plot, but honestly that wouldn't be interesting either. The only unsolved and interesting part in this was Dadan, which now is also solved.

(in regards to bolded fragment) WTF is wrong with you ? What exactly do you expect to be remotely interesting in OP if not this ?

As for the chapter, yay it seems to introduce an entire new plotline as opposed to what I expected would be just about Ace and Luffy's relationship. And I guess it has a big chance of topping any other flashback presented in the manga so far. Come on, this particular mangaka didn't plan this particulatr flashback a year or two ago... Just as no one important to the plot died until Ace did. This is the main flashback to the story as much as it is about the main protagonist

happy GIN smily
May 01, 2010, 01:01 PM
oh nice. some early spoilers
for what i have seen on the pics and read in the translation there is only one word that can discibe what i think about this chapter:

BORING

beastboy
May 01, 2010, 01:04 PM
Face it guys this is the last Flash Back of this part of the Story, Ace's words and Luffy's reminiscence to it are going to change him, he'll not become a serious bastard, but he will learn about death of relatives in the first person (is always diferent when things happen to us), learn that thats a good thing, and that he just needs to get stronger and acomplish is brother wishes, as long with his own wishes!

And whats intersting to you, a bunch of boobies in the audience and a bunch of guys fighing to see which one is the stronger with no reason at all??

fistsofrage
May 01, 2010, 01:06 PM
As expected the spoilers came out earlier than usual. Looks pretty interesting too. That sabo kid is wearing a hat like the one Ace used to wear before he died.

BlazingMonkey
May 01, 2010, 01:09 PM
Whats with people today everyone on this forum seems so cranky :P it looks like a great chapter in my eyes finelly we get a reall luffy flash back it's like the first one sence chapter one :P And flash back chapters are really importent to the story so I dont get why so many people are complaining. :O

Btw can people stop comparing one piece to ather mangas? I dont get what it has todo whith this thread..

beastboy
May 01, 2010, 01:14 PM
C'mon, just read the translated spoiler, it seemed win to me, and not predictable at all...
I guess next chapter will be the real deal!

Organizized
May 01, 2010, 01:19 PM
As expected the spoilers came out earlier than usual. Looks pretty interesting too. That sabo kid is wearing a hat like the one Ace used to wear before he died.

Indeed. Not only the hat, either:

http://i44.tinypic.com/rbwajs.jpg

I'm interested in seeing if something happened to Sabo for Ace to wear his outfit and all.

Also, perhaps he is/was a third "brother" of Ace and Luffy? If something happened to him back then (died or something like that) it wouldn't be too farfetched that Luffy never mentioned him in the manga yet.. okay, a little farfetched, but still.. I'm rather interested in seeing how this will play out. :tem

panasit
May 01, 2010, 01:19 PM
I'm interested about the Sabo thing. Ace mention his name as part of the reason he want to live. If he's alive, we may be looking at another badass character in the New World. If he's dead or is a villain, that's another story. But I don't think One Piece is known for mystery that leads nowhere.

BlackHair
May 01, 2010, 01:23 PM
(in regards to bolded fragment) WTF is wrong with you ? Nothing is wrong with me. I merely spoke of my opinion based on my taste. Who the hell are you to question that anyway? I simply hold no interest in flashbacks if it doesn't solve mysteries or if it is plot-wise not needed.

And I guess it has a big chance of topping any other flashback presented in the manga so far. I disagree. The way I see it Oda just wants to do some justice to Ace. After all his death seemed worth nothing the moment it was over shadowed by WB's epic death, at least for me. The moment Ace died, I felt sry for Luffy, not for Ace. I guess Oda wants to change that with this flashback, just my opinion. Not that I hate Ace, but I didn't like him either.

but I would hardly call seeing a picture of Dadan and a few lines of dialogue "solved." We still know very little about the relationship between Ace/Luffy and Dadan.I might be early to judge but I don't rly expect anything surprising to happen in that flashback.

My prediction:
1. Dadan will do sth to help Ace and Luffy, which was worth enough to mention her in Ace's last words.
2. About Luffy and Ace, same old cliché: at first they don't like each other, then sth will happen, in which they will help each other and eventually become brothers.
3. About the Sabo kid, he will either die in this flashback or we will see him in near future. But most likely he will die.

1-3 will probably mixed together. Anyway, I should stop posting, it seems I destroying the enjoyment for some ppl.

RichardMNixon
May 01, 2010, 01:31 PM
I just can't understand the Catch-22 everyone seems to be imposing on Oda. "Luffy is a 2D character with a boring backstory [not that I agree]; therefore, we're not interested in seeing him fleshed out into a complex character with an emotional, complex backstory." Sounds to me like his history is every bit as rich as any of the other East Blue characters; I'd expect only Robin's history to stand heads above Luffy's.
[hr]

I simply hold no interest in flashbacks if it doesn't solve mysteries or if it is plot-wise not needed.

I disagree. The way I see it Oda just wants to do some justice to Ace. After all his death seemed worth nothing the moment it was over shadowed by WB's epic death, at least for me. The moment Ace died, I felt sry for Luffy, not for Ace. I guess Oda wants to change that with this flashback, just my opinion. Not that I hate Ace, but I didn't liked him either.

How about who is Sabo? http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/574/10/

This isn't an Ace flashback, this is a Luffy flashback. All we have on Luffy is his history with Shanks, and that Garp used to throw him in a jungle. He's the main character and we know less about him than any other Straw Hat. This is Luffy's Kuina, Bellamere, Tom, Laboon, etc.

OdaForPresident
May 01, 2010, 01:34 PM
New cover arc! Hogback and absalom, I was kinda hoping for lola and her crew to have a coverstory, but this is cool as well.

Shisu
May 01, 2010, 01:38 PM
Sabo and Saldeath sure share some similarities.

BlackHair
May 01, 2010, 01:40 PM
This isn't an Ace flashback, this is a Luffy flashback. However main focus will be the relationship between Ace and him. This might be Luffy's flashback but it is dedicated to Ace.

How about who is Sabo? http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/574/10/ Giving Ace's last words and the fact that Ace was wearing his style, I guess Sabo will die.

For me it is not rly interesting since it is predictable and it is also not much of a mystery since Sabo was only recently introduced. Would be entirely different if we heard his name like 200 chapters before, similar to Dadan.

Razh
May 01, 2010, 01:47 PM
It does seem kinda obvious what will happen next, just like Blackhair says. Sabo dies, Ace promises to keep their dream alive. Just like now, Ace died asking Luffy to keep the dream alive.

Still, Oda could make something different out of it. We'll just have to wait and see. I still hope we'll see something more than just them becoming brothers.

narupiece
May 01, 2010, 02:21 PM
We all know Luffy will become pirate king, so why do we bother reading hundreds of chapters?

How predictable the end result is doesn't determine how interesting a storyline is.

BlackHair
May 01, 2010, 02:25 PM
We all know Luffy will become pirate king, so why do we bother reading hundreds of chapters?Plz don't try to be funny on my post. I wasn't predicting a distance future, but the near future. Which will happen within 5 chapters I guess. If this flashback is interesting for you, then fine by me. But don't expect everyone to share the same opinion.

narupiece
May 01, 2010, 02:39 PM
Relax I wasn't asking you to share my opinion. I was merely trying to illustrate why I am personally interested in the flashback.

St Michael
May 01, 2010, 02:50 PM
I want to see the war consequences (bounties , burial , etc) so baaaad that the chapter looks awful to me.

If the spoil is correct , there is no action at all , only 3 kids doing nothing worthy. And one ugly big guy messing with Luffy.

I'm disappointed. Please Oda , kill Sabo fast ..

ish3
May 01, 2010, 02:50 PM
I don't get how anyone could find this flashback distasteful let alone boring. It hasn't even started yet. Most OP flashbacks take around 5 chapters anyway. Hahaha. I don't get it. If you've been reading the story for years you people should know by now this was bound to happen.

I on the other hand am very interested in what's to come. I completely missed the whole Sabo think. But I knew it sounded familiar. But I'm pretty sure someone is gonna die. Whether it's Sabo or some other character. After showing what happens in Ace's and Luffy's childhood together I wonder what happens during their teen years. Ace didn't leave until Luffy was 14 after all. I mean I can predict what's gonna happen in the next few chapters but I'm pretty positive I'd be wrong. Rarely anyone ever predicts the right answers for what happens in future OP chapters.

beastboy
May 01, 2010, 03:15 PM
Why are you guys saying this is predicteble, so you don't like it, ever since Sanji's flashback started I knew Zeff was going to eat is leg, but I enjoyed that flashback a lot!
Ever since Nami's flashback started, I knew belemere would die, yet y Cried out loud when he died...

Even if you know the Sabo guy will die, it will steel be emotive when he dies!

In fact, I already enjoy the idea of Sabo passing the Hat to Ace while dying, moving, whatevah yah want!

And yeah, I want to see the burial, but I want to see it after the flash back, so it will be emotion after emotion!

And if Luffy is already recovered, then he will listen to the burial *-*!

St Michael
May 01, 2010, 03:20 PM
I don't think that whitebeard's pirates would wait for a likely to be dead rookie of the first half of grand line to achieve the burial of their beloved captain and soon to be PK.

I bet that the burial is already done .. and I'm disappointed that we missed the scene live.

Ero-Sanji
May 01, 2010, 03:22 PM
Finally a new flashback "arc".
That's what makes One piece so good, the amazing character insight. I mean they have all been great except for Zoro's (imo) but Nami's, Chopper's, Robin's and Brooke's nearly made me cry, for real.

Oda's flashbacks usually contains death or a great loss for one of the main characters in it so I guess as someone mentioned before Sabu will die and that in turn will make Ace the gentle and caring person we all came to watch and admire.

Morlun
May 01, 2010, 03:43 PM
Why are you guys saying this is predicteble, so you don't like it, ever since Sanji's flashback started I knew Zeff was going to eat is leg, but I enjoyed that flashback a lot!
Ever since Nami's flashback started, I knew belemere would die, yet y Cried out loud when he died...

I think we all knew Whitebeard was going to die. Still made a great story though. :)

Ashura_Ichibugin
May 01, 2010, 03:47 PM
Another flashback chapter as expected. Although I have no special taste in flasbacks, I will try to read and enjoy it. I also could have whined about chapters showing characters' backgrounds and want endless action that loses its meaning after some point, but neither I am a five year old, nor I act like one.

ps: The post is not addressed to anybody, so do not act like it is.

gotdott
May 01, 2010, 03:56 PM
Some people enjoy OP for what it is, a collection of stories woven into a strawhat.

I myself had to learn to love flashbacks. I do find myself impatient waiting for the next chapter and for the story to progress, but having already waited week after week for the last five years, I've learned to enjoy what I get, because no matter what, Oda is a great story teller.

happy GIN smily
May 01, 2010, 04:01 PM
looks like again someone has to die in a flashback to create some emotions for a character. at least this time it seams to be only one person. not a complete crew or the population of an island like in Brooks and Robins cases

Rikudou Sennin
May 01, 2010, 04:01 PM
I'm somewhat interested in this chapter. Oda doesnt show it for nothing.

but I'm also highly intereseted who will join the Straw Hats, whats happing with the burial and so on.

deffkryz
May 01, 2010, 04:02 PM
Oh dear... Absalom and Hogback are having a great time while their (former?) boss is (about to be?) killed... and Absalom seems to be quite attractive to pig ladies? Serves him right. :P

So about the rest. I'll wait until the complete chapter comes to surface... I really wonder whether or not Oda's going to kill a third "major" person in this arc. :/

Bludvein
May 01, 2010, 04:19 PM
That japanese script spoiler seems alot longer than usual. This chapter gonna be a short novel all by itself? or is it fake?

beastboy
May 01, 2010, 05:01 PM
I think we all knew Whitebeard was going to die. Still made a great story though. :)
Another example as Oda can make something that is obvious that is going to happen into something EPIC when it happens...

Another flashback chapter as expected. Although I have no special taste in flasbacks, I will try to read and enjoy it. I also could have whined about chapters showing characters' backgrounds and want endless action that loses its meaning after some point, but neither I am a five year old, nor I act like one.

ps: The post is not addressed to anybody, so do not act like it is.

That is how I would like everybody who is whining to do, c'mon just lay back and enjoy what you have... if its not the most epic chapter ever, think of it as a good tale of Luffy's and Ace's adventures... its not bad if you don't want something more epic than the battles with the CP9...
Don't compare, a Flashback is something more story like, some might think its boring, but I think is what makes One Piece interesting, can some one picture One Piece without the chapters with all the Straw Hats laughing in the ship... and without all the flashbacks...

For me it would be just at the level of some other halfassed shounen manga..
But the fact that is just something collecting the adventures of a guy who got a Strawhat from a redhaired guy wich looks like an Hawaiian who went to mexico to pick an hat!

It doesn't matter if its action packed or sentimental, for 10 years we had to pass through all the life of the Straw Hat crew captain in their big journey to find the one piece...
I had all kinds of emotions while reading One Piece, and I will be lying if I don't say that One Piece is already part of my life...

So if Luffy was reminiscing something, and we didn't see it, it wouldn't have half of the fun!

One Piece is funny cause it only skips the really boring parts of the trip (like Luffy sleeping, or in Coma!!)
If its boring, endure it, cause life isn't always funny, but is always natural for one to remember important scenes with somebody, when he dies!

If he didn't do that, then I would be upset :3!

About Sabo, it would be cool if he was a vilain, and Ace didn't give up living, cause he had to grow stronger and kill him!

Triva
May 01, 2010, 05:37 PM
woot flash back. Maybe we will get some major info on luffy, ace, and dandan from what we don't know =).Go oda.

THM Nindo
May 01, 2010, 08:12 PM
Hmm...
I really wasn't expecting a flashback chapter...
Especially one that will actually be two-chapter long.

I want the story to go back on track with the full strawhat crew, but I guess it's not for now...

If they are including those flashback now... it either mean that Sabo or Dadan will make a come back and be important somehow.

It can't be so that we feel cheap about Ace, since he's already dead, and those flashback only hurts when they are right before the death of the character.

k-dom
May 01, 2010, 08:27 PM
Nice a new cover story. Will Absalom finally find a wife ? At least there will be one page of interest for people who do not like Flashback in the next chapters. Because to me, it seems this one is going to last several chapters more.
Luffy and Ace won't become blood brother in two pages.

sarutobi_sensei
May 01, 2010, 09:31 PM
I dunno what to think of the spoilers.

First I'm sleepy as hell since I'm awake since 10 am (I got to bed @ 4 last night) and it's now 3.30am and I'm tired as hell .

well sorry for the ranting :S

Anyway, this is where Ace's and Luffy's brother-ship really begins. Luffy will not say where the money is, get beat up, which is kinda odd cause he is made of rubber, and Ace will somehow get attached to him and not let anything happen to him.

Now that Sabo guy is interesting. I wonder if we'll ever see him in a near future or if he simply dies on this flashback.
[hr]

How about who is Sabo? http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/574/10/

Now it makes sense. And Sabo is going to die. It's now clear.

That or he simply doesn't die but get seriously injured or something.

Though I believe he will die.

DARK
May 01, 2010, 10:44 PM
I don't know what to say about this spoiler, mostly because it's as what I expected it to end up as.
Luffy developing a relationship with Ace during his childhood.
The only "new" element is the minor character Sabo. He seems to be a very important character to Ace during this flashback, but hasn't been mentioned at all in passing or whatnot. It's safe to say that Sabo will end up dead.
The flashback will last one or two more chapters, give or take.

k-dom
May 02, 2010, 03:31 AM
Who would have thouth Dadan would be this type of guy :-). It's not her who train Luffy it is Ace.

NoLimit89
May 02, 2010, 04:57 AM
Obviously Sabo dies or else he would have set sail with Ace when Ace first became a pirate.

Akainu
May 02, 2010, 05:21 AM
OR Sabo betrayed Ace since they were only searching for Ace and now he could have all the money to do whatever; goda knows what'll happen next. oh and btw. it's nothing that couldn't be resolved in one or two further chapters. sometimes - not all of the time - it's worth considering how many chapters there are left to fill a volume ^^'

Gats
May 02, 2010, 05:38 AM
Just read the spoilers...Sometimes I wonder how the hell Garp expected Luffy and Ace to be a Marine. How did he live when he was a kid ? -_-'

Bonfire01
May 02, 2010, 06:09 AM
I like the look of this chapter if the spoliers are correct. It was always a little hard to resolve the way Ace was portrayed acting in previous flashbacks and the way he suggested to Luffy that they share a drink to become brothers, and subsequently gave his life to save him.

So... it was nice to see Ace started out being hostile towards Luffy (and doing things that, as far as he would have known, could have killed him). It fits in with the idea that he felt (almost) all alone and (almost) universally hated so he didn't feel he had a life worth living (until he was about to die).

The only thing i'm not so keen on is the rest of the flashback seems like it is going to be pretty predictable (Luffy refuses to betray Ace, Ace starts to feel affection for him and Ace + Sabo recue Luffy with Sabo getting killed in the process.). I hope Oda has a twist or two planned for the flashback.....

OunknownO
May 02, 2010, 06:12 AM
This is boring chapter(if the spoilers are true). I'm not fond of flashback's, but I'm ok with them if they reveal some part of the plot.

gold349
May 02, 2010, 06:15 AM
its gonna be awesome how ever many chapters covers Luffy and Ace plus sabo as kids I enjoyed the script...pic of Luffy lying about the stolen cash whistling, great.

Cedde
May 02, 2010, 06:20 AM
While reading the spoiler and all your comments on them, i to believed Sabo will die saving Ace, or in some way giving Ace the fuel to be a pirate. Then it hit me, why would Oda "repeat" a story, (someone close dies, we get stronger ect.)..

As I reread what Ace said, about the "Sabo thing" it gives of another feeling. Not something precious, but something important, that made Ace see the world in a new light.

I am for the Sabo betrayer/coward/villain guess.

goldb
May 02, 2010, 06:24 AM
its gonna be awesome how ever many chapters covers Luffy and Ace plus sabo as kids I enjoyed the script...pic of Luffy lying about the stolen cash whistling, great.

That picture of Luffy trying to lie whilst whistling lol. I really enjoyed reading the script and reading all the trials Luffy went through to follow Ace. Ace was mean as a kid, I can't wait to see how this story unfolds plus I'm hoping to see the Blue Jam captain.

PH3000
May 02, 2010, 07:30 AM
I was one of those that wanted only the story to progress, but reading that spoiler/chapter makes you forget every last thought about any actual storyline... oda i love you

DLord.Van.Buuren
May 02, 2010, 07:52 AM
as expected the flashback is awsome , and a battle is going to occur .

THM Nindo
May 02, 2010, 08:24 AM
Garp sending them to Dadan doesn't make sense...
Unless he actually wanted them to be pirates...

Seriously... :eyeroll

chitgoks
May 02, 2010, 08:27 AM
wow if that spoiler is true, than this chapter is the longest i've read in one piece.

DLord.Van.Buuren
May 02, 2010, 08:29 AM
Garp sending them to Dadan doesn't make sense...
Unless he actually wanted them to be pirates...

Seriously... :eyeroll

he probably wanted them to get stronger and maybe to devolop hatred twoards these bandits thus will consider every bad guy in the world comparable to those guys this will strongly influence their perspective on good and evil thus become marines , maybe .

ameya730
May 02, 2010, 09:07 AM
love the chapter but i would have to agree with people who feel it contributes little to plot progression. having said that i dont think this chapter could have been introduced earlier during the war or even before that. cause it would have ruined the momentum of those arcs especially since i think this flashback is going to last a couple of chapters atleast. the panel with luffy trying to lie is brilliant.

i kinda view these chapters as special chapters kinda like what fairy tail has. good character development but not necessarily related to the main plot

JetPistol
May 02, 2010, 09:32 AM
OR Sabo betrayed Ace since they were only searching for Ace and now he could have all the money to do whatever; goda knows what'll happen next. oh and btw. it's nothing that couldn't be resolved in one or two further chapters. sometimes - not all of the time - it's worth considering how many chapters there are left to fill a volume ^^'

nooooooooo because then it wouldn't explain why Ace wears that hat too well....hey sabo you betrayed so i'm taking your hat now punk...lol nah...then again i'm not against the notion he's a backstabber, lookforward to seeing the rest of the flashback

jojoSB
May 02, 2010, 10:02 AM
I like this flashback of Luffy, really like it, it's a great chance (yet again!) for Oda to plant in
even more plot twists and foreshadowing and developments!

On the other hand, if Sabo is going to be portrayed as a traitor type of a character, wouldn't
that wises up Ace's handling of life's matter later on in the course of his life, which in turn should helped stopped Ace, one way or another, in pursuing Akainu for the taunt on WB?

Sabo might not be a villain after all.., maybe he's still on pursuit for something that Ace
really believes in but turned out to be completely unattainable, and he simply disappears knowing that his presence only added in to the confusion of Ace and Luffy's situation..

...Luffy's whistling is an extreme lol moment too, it's a direct result from that seemingly mockery of Sanji on that old volume 19 cover correct? A foreshadow, in a flashback!! Born out of Luffy's sincerity!

fistsofrage
May 02, 2010, 10:35 AM
Wow awesome flashback. I love how people said sabo was gonna die and now they say he's gonna be a traitor. Somehow i doubt either one will happen but im sure Oda will put sabo to good use in the plot.

ScratchmenApoo
May 02, 2010, 10:52 AM
Ace didn't have the flame fruit at that time, correct ?
He must be quite a strong physical fighter if he can kill wild boars with bare hands at the age of 10...
I believe he will kick the crap out of the guy who kidnapped Luffy (and probably give Luffy a beating too)

Lyn685
May 02, 2010, 10:53 AM
I hope Sabo won't die.
His Design looks interesting.
And besides, didn't we have this "Dying-Situation in Strawhat-Member-Childhood" enough times already?

k-dom
May 02, 2010, 11:14 AM
I found this Gray Terminal very strange. It is so different from what you expect of Fushia island when you read Romance Dawn. Well I suppose it is on Fushia island since Woop Slap was the first to talk about Dadan.

Gats
May 02, 2010, 11:18 AM
When Ace did he ever mention "Sabo" when he was alive ? I don't remember at all.

redred
May 02, 2010, 11:22 AM
When Ace did he ever mention "Sabo" when he was alive ? I don't remember at all.

they were part of his dying words. i think the it was the first and only time he mentioned it.
he calls it "the sabo thing"

kangclaw
May 02, 2010, 11:30 AM
Nice spoiler so far; seems like a decent chapter. I like how the relationship between Luffy and Ace is developing.

TheBlackLotus
May 02, 2010, 11:42 AM
A lot of naysayers on the concept of a flashback, but now that i've read this first part i'm definitely interested. After all, we get to look into both Luffy and Ace's past. And this is easily the perfect time. I'm sure once the flashbacks are over, Oda will have proven the importance of this. This is how they brotherhood probably began.

mars0103
May 02, 2010, 11:42 AM
Do ya think that sabo is going to be another person in one piece that is highly skilled and in someway connected to one of the 4 emporeors

LongLiveOnePiece
May 02, 2010, 11:57 AM
i m a bit dissapointed by the flashback only chapter.and i believe next chapter is gonna be exactly the same.Les us hope it wont last more than 2 chapters though.

SuperShuter
May 02, 2010, 12:02 PM
Gona be a nice chapter looks like flashback is going on for like 3 chapters, just a little enoying that after 2 week break hopefully see things move quicker like making us understand ace is rejecting luffy after 2 spreads instead of giving a full chapter just seeing luffy getting knocked about lol. But Oda is god so it doesn't irritate me enough to go on anti flashback rant.

k-dom
May 02, 2010, 12:07 PM
Robin Flashback was 7 chapters length, but the last one with Brook was only 2. I think it will be in the middle. 2 is definitly too short, this chapter does not really explain the strong relation between Luffy and Ace and why Ace decide to live because of Sabo event.

PaPiPuPePo~
May 02, 2010, 12:48 PM
Sabo looks like the guy in impel down XD
i know it that ace will be mean to luffy XD when i heard ace is roger son
Iam so happy to see luffys past with ace I miss ace really much XDD

i dont know why people say Urgh flashback WTF thats not important
the funny thing is when there was no flashback we didnt know why robin were chased by the goverment or why brook was alone on a ship, why nami was a part of the arlong crew and mooooooreeeeeeeee its important
what were when op had no flashbacks o.o? nothing its kinda boring
i kinda love the flashbacks
and other side i want to see brook, chopper and the sunny go again :(
i think its off topic XD SORRY :P

Taraku
May 02, 2010, 01:07 PM
i dont know why people say Urgh flashback WTF thats not important
the funny thing is when there was no flashback we didnt know why robin were chased by the goverment or why brook was alone on a ship, why nami was a part of the arlong crew and mooooooreeeeeeeee its important
what were when op had no flashbacks o.o? nothing its kinda boring

Those flashbacks with Robin or Brooke had some relations to the ongoing plot (Ohara is still the reason for the WG hunting Robin, Brooke's crew dying linked Brooke to Laboon) but the flashback of Luffy and Ace is pretty annoying since Ace is dead now. We already knew, that Ace and Luffy have had a very intense relationship and that it is the reason he mentally collapsed - but why do we have to know how the formed their bond? Maybe for completeness but not for the actual plot.
And overall, Luffy was always the main character and now he had his "on-his-own-adventure" for about 1 or 2 years, time to see the rest of the crew again.
I don't need those flashbacks right now.

And now let the bashing begin.

Akainu
May 02, 2010, 01:14 PM
(...) but the flashback of Luffy and Ace is pretty annoying since Ace is dead now. We already knew, that Ace and Luffy have had a very intense relationship and that it is the reason he mentally collapsed - but why do we have to know how the formed their bond? Maybe for completeness but not for the actual plot.

I'm afraid to sound a little harsh in saying this, but you should rethink that a little. How do you imagine the story to go on without Luffy remembering? Like an emo like so many people said it would suck? or totally unchanged? Luffy going a dark way or wahtever?
The relation to the plot is pretty clearly that we now discover the reason, why all that WON'T happen and Luffy can return to his life as a pirate. That doesn't mean he shoudn't change and get a little more serious/cautious or whatever, but this is the one and only chance that a flashback like this can happen (has to happen imo...) because it has significance for the ongoing plot.

Oh, no, that surely not. It's against the board rules, you see?

brownbt
May 02, 2010, 01:16 PM
I see that some people think that Ace will save Luffy's life during the flashback. I feel differently - I think that Sabo and Ace may be found out as well by these intimidating (?) pirates. When it comes time to throw down their hands, though, I feel that Sabo will betray Ace and Luffy, and may die.
It makes most sense to me that Luffy will end up saving Ace's life here, possibly even with the help of Dadan and her family. As Ace's first real friend, Luffy will be the one who gives Ace a reason to live, and ultimately save Luffy's life in the future.
What are your impressions?

kkck
May 02, 2010, 01:31 PM
Why in the world would garp leave his grand kids to be raised by a lowlife like dadan? IMHO that is the stupidest thing he could plausibly do if he intended either luffy or ace to grow to become respectable members of society. I mean, seriously, the guy must be extraordinarily more stupid than what is apparent.

chess4
May 02, 2010, 01:43 PM
Why in the world would garp leave his grand kids to be raised by a lowlife like dadan? IMHO that is the stupidest thing he could plausibly do if he intended either luffy or ace to grow to become respectable members of society. I mean, seriously, the guy must be extraordinarily more stupid than what is apparent.

im sure dadan knew of the will of D. there is a thing called tough love. garp knew that dadan would raise them tough. he wanted them to be strong marines and he knew dadan would be hard on them. i think dadan knew that the boys would have a rough life since they are the carriers of D. garp may seem stupid at times but im sure he put some thought into it.

brownbt
May 02, 2010, 01:47 PM
Well, like grandson, like grandfather. I think that people often forget that these grandchildren of Garp are sons of two of the world's most feared fugitives. Seeing the lengths to which the World Government went to kill Ace during the war, I am not surprised that Garp stooped to this level just to keep them safe.
I'm also not surprised that he hopes for them to become Marines, because that is really the only way that they could have stayed safe from the World Government. A man can dream, can't he?
In the end, I wonder if we will discover that Garp is working for the Marines only to attempt to apply his justice to a world that he knows is run by the unjust. Maybe he thinks that the only way to set things right is to work from inside the corrupt system to bring that very system down. Perhaps there is more to Garp than meets the eye.

Romanov D Paul
May 02, 2010, 01:51 PM
Well, the good news are that there's already an almost perfect scan in chinese and the full script already translated in english, so I guess tomorrow will ahve our chapter ready. Yo!

I didn't tought Sabo being a guy up until now... sure, the fact that he's been never mentioned up to Ace's demise and the whole troubled childhood experience make me guess he won't be around too much, as sad as it may be. Oh well. Seems like he is the only guy who can safely approach Ace without being trashed, witch should mean he was his only friend. And future nakama. Since, if I remember correctly, Ace went out to the sea alone, that pretty much confirms that Sabo's either meet a bad ending, or took a different route, witch appears unlikely to me. Howewer, I guess next week we'll get a better grasp on this matter.

chess4
May 02, 2010, 01:58 PM
the hat sabo has on is obviously the hat ace wore. im sure whatever happens he did something that benefited ace. maybe he saved him and ace paying respect to his friend wore his hat. im sure we will find out soon enough.

i sur ehope that this flashback does not last more than 2 chapters. i can do 3 as long as its not the full chapter. i kinda want to see what has happened to the participants in this war
[hr]

Well, the good news are that there's already an almost perfect scan in chinese and the full script already translated in english, so I guess tomorrow will ahve our chapter ready. Yo!

I didn't tought Sabo being a guy up until now... sure, the fact that he's been never mentioned up to Ace's demise and the whole troubled childhood experience make me guess he won't be around too much, as sad as it may be. Oh well. Seems like he is the only guy who can safely approach Ace without being trashed, witch should mean he was his only friend. And future nakama. Since, if I remember correctly, Ace went out to the sea alone, that pretty much confirms that Sabo's either meet a bad ending, or took a different route, witch appears unlikely to me. Howewer, I guess next week we'll get a better grasp on this matter.

he has sabo's hat on, so i figure sabo is dead.

Roarchu
May 02, 2010, 02:00 PM
He fell into water with crocodiles? how did he survive if he sinks?

does fruit users only drown in sea water?

brownbt
May 02, 2010, 02:03 PM
I don't know how I didn't catch the whole hat thing. Well I stick by my prediction that Sabo dies, but I guess he must do something honorable along the way. We'll see what happens.
[hr]

No, they drown in all water. Nami was surprised to see the soap girl from CP9 in a bath. Ace nearly drowned in a river on a cover story. Luffy nearly drowned in sea cloud. So no, it's not just sea water that Devil Fruit users are vulnerable to.

[hr]
Also, I'm not entirely sure that the hat that Sabo is wearing is the one that Ace wears in the future.
Ace's hat (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/158/19/) looks more like a cowboy hat.
Sabo's hat is more of a top hat... It's more like Chopper's/Kureha's if anything.

fistsofrage
May 02, 2010, 02:17 PM
im sure dadan knew of the will of D. there is a thing called tough love. garp knew that dadan would raise them tough. he wanted them to be strong marines and he knew dadan would be hard on them. i think dadan knew that the boys would have a rough life since they are the carriers of D. garp may seem stupid at times but im sure he put some thought into it.

I think you're giving Dadan too much credit. I'm kinda glad to see Luffy using the lesson he got from shanks and trying so hard to be Ace's friend. It shows where his Haki came from and his incredibly large heart that allows him to make friends with anybody.

Lyn685
May 02, 2010, 02:21 PM
the hat sabo has on is obviously the hat ace wore. im sure whatever happens he did something that benefited ace. maybe he saved him and ace paying respect to his friend wore his hat. im sure we will find out soon enough.

i sur ehope that this flashback does not last more than 2 chapters. i can do 3 as long as its not the full chapter. i kinda want to see what has happened to the participants in this war
<hr noshade size="1">

he has sabo's hat on, so i figure sabo is dead.
Sabos Hat isn't the one that Ace wore.

Proof:
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/6136/saboace.png

deffkryz
May 02, 2010, 02:24 PM
Those flashbacks with Robin or Brooke had some relations to the ongoing plot (Ohara is still the reason for the WG hunting Robin, Brooke's crew dying linked Brooke to Laboon) but the flashback of Luffy and Ace is pretty annoying since Ace is dead now. We already knew, that Ace and Luffy have had a very intense relationship and that it is the reason he mentally collapsed - but why do we have to know how the formed their bond? Maybe for completeness but not for the actual plot.
And overall, Luffy was always the main character and now he had his "on-his-own-adventure" for about 1 or 2 years, time to see the rest of the crew again.

What makes you think Ace was a main character like Robin or Brook? And why do you think this flashback is to show Ace and his pain from the past ? That's already been done by revealing Gold Roger being his father who lived as orphan.

I guess we're going to see why Luffy is so fixed on his concept on throwing all his weight into a conflict to save someone he calls at least a nakama. And that's most probably the purpose of the flashback.

Then you should start the bashing in the first place. It's as easy as that: You don't like flashbacks, quit complaining and stop reading OP for the time being. I've stopped reading Naruto since Sasuke encoutered the Kages and Bleach once Ichigo left for killing Aizen. And looking on their spoilers I won't resume reading them for quite some time.

OQO
May 02, 2010, 02:35 PM
I was looking forward to this flashback (I like Ace and I'm curios about his and Luffy's past), but now that I've seen it I'm not so very enthusiastic about it anymore... don't know... I don't like the introduction of Sabo (we didn't need a new character!). Like this, it isn't something between Ace and Luffy anymore! And it doesn't make any sense really. Wasn't Ace a loner? How is it if he actually had already a friend?? Luffy should have been the first one to own his trust (in my opinion, obviously)

We'll see...:blink

Razh
May 02, 2010, 02:37 PM
Really, how could anyone confuse those 2 hats...

It seems like a fun chapter. Dialogue and all. It reminds me of the good old times, when Goku and Kuririn were trained by Mutenroshi. That was also hilarious.

I'm hoping that this Sabo kid survives, but it all seems to point to his death. He's clearly alone on this world, he only had one friend, Ace, he wanted to be a pirate. Ace was alone when he went away and he mentioned that the "Sabo thing" and Luffy were the only things keeping him going. Where is Sabo, if he's not dead? What could have happened? See why I doubt that he's alive?

Still, I hope for something different which doesn't involve his death.

OQO
May 02, 2010, 02:41 PM
Still, I hope for something different which doesn't involve his death.

yep, me too. His death would be just cliché!

Lyn685
May 02, 2010, 02:46 PM
I like Sabos Design, so I want to see him as a grown man.
But when he's dead, that'd be not possible anymore. :<
So please Oda, make this FB a little bit more usefull by not introducing doomed characters in it!

DLord.Van.Buuren
May 02, 2010, 03:53 PM
i think sabo is a death character , he wasnt shown when ace was departing from the island what could've possibily kept him from saying goodbye to his friend besides sabo was going to become ace's mate as pirates that pretty much says all .

Gats
May 02, 2010, 04:29 PM

Not deep enough !

WIzarDE
May 02, 2010, 04:45 PM
:D

Men reading the spoilers really put a smile on my face :P

And I guess Ace just loves trying to murder people, It must be in his blood xD

SilversDKRayleigh
May 02, 2010, 05:28 PM
:D

Men reading the spoilers really put a smile on my face :P

Agreed. I also liked seeing that Luffy's lying skill has not changed at all.

chess4
May 02, 2010, 06:06 PM
just saw the raws. the chapter is boring, but its neccessary for luffy's development, so i dont mind. it just sucks that we had to wait a week for this. everyone of the strawhats had someone die in their past, i guess ace will be luffy's motivation.

i really hope we dont get much more flashback. its been over 2 years since we have seen the strawhats(except for the cover stories) im waiting to see them again.

also i donnt see how luffy will be the same after this. he may not want to be a pirate after this.

LongLiveOnePiece
May 02, 2010, 06:16 PM

Being Lelouch is not that easy as you think.He was a great main char.Actually the greatest.But Luffy isnt half bad either.

beastboy
May 02, 2010, 06:18 PM
What if Sabo is in a wheel chair! Maybe those guys cut his tendons or something...
It would be cooler than for him to be dead!
I mean, a guy with glasses in a hat with a cool out feet and a wheel chair, thats the definition of COOL!

But if not he is a bad guy!

undertoe
May 02, 2010, 06:19 PM
just saw the raws. the chapter is boring, but its neccessary for luffy's development, so i dont mind. it just sucks that we had to wait a week for this. everyone of the strawhats had someone die in their past, i guess ace will be luffy's motivation.

i really hope we dont get much more flashback. its been over 2 years since we have seen the strawhats(except for the cover stories) im waiting to see them again.

also i donnt see how luffy will be the same after this. he may not want to be a pirate after this.

I dunno what calendar you're using, but they were definitely still around in chapter 500, which was less than two years ago.

AnimeLoverX
May 02, 2010, 06:39 PM
out @
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/583/

chapter was pretty funny gotta say.

Vetinari clone
May 02, 2010, 06:44 PM
Loved the chapter, cracked me up :D! Luffy trying to lie was hilarious! Ace's reactions were great too, fun stuff, I am really looking forwards to the next couple of chapters.

-Ren Boy-
May 02, 2010, 06:53 PM
A chapter...on a Sunday/Monday...feels like more of a wait. Although good chapter

chess4
May 02, 2010, 06:54 PM
I dunno what calendar you're using, but they were definitely still around in chapter 500, which was less than two years ago.

ok well it is a little less than 2 but you get my point

El-Thor
May 02, 2010, 07:01 PM
Nice chapter, Luffy is gonna gomu gomu pistol those pirates ! :D I wonder if Ace has his DF yet... (I think it was already mentioned but I forgot)

Also.. Sunday chapter means ANOTHER 2 weeks until next chapter :offtopic2

Zatono
May 02, 2010, 07:26 PM
Wow, Ace was a pretty big douche when he was a kid. The chapter kinda made me feel bad for Luffy, seeing how Ace treated him.

mr.danly
May 02, 2010, 07:51 PM
Wow, Ace was a pretty big douche when he was a kid. The chapter kinda made me feel bad for Luffy, seeing how Ace treated him.

well if you think about it, Ace was treated like shit from birth. People said that he deserved to die and be tortured just for his blood. So it doesn't seem surprising to me that he treats Luffy so terribly; he has little reason to trust or to be nice to anyone. And we can already see in the chapter that Ace is starting to relate to Luffy when he overhears Dadan and the mountain bandits speaking of Luffy as "the child of a devil," the same way Ace has been referred to his whole life.
If anything, his treatment of Luffy makes me admire Luffy's purity even more; he's just an overall nice, loving, kid. And we all know that Luffy can weather any storm; he'll recover from the sadness of Ace's death as well.

chess4
May 02, 2010, 08:00 PM
Nice chapter, Luffy is gonna gomu gomu pistol those pirates ! :D I wonder if Ace has his DF yet... (I think it was already mentioned but I forgot)

Also.. Sunday chapter means ANOTHER 2 weeks until next chapter :offtopic2

what? we should get a chapter next week, unless u know something i dont. ace doesnt have his flame fruit yet. he did not get it until he went out 2 sea.

_AceOfSpades_
May 02, 2010, 08:06 PM
I already wondered about it when it was revealed that Dadan is a criminal... but now I really do believe that Garp either has a few screws loose or he was aiming for reverse psychology...(maybe it's a little bit of both? xD)
I mean, did Garp really not know that Dadan tries to force his grandchildren to murder/rob people? Or was Dadan joking? (somehow, I doubt that -_-') Either way, Garp must have tried to make Luffy and Ace hate criminal ways. I just can't see any other reason for this. But I guess it backfired, huh? *grin* Garp just should have known that 'pirates' and 'mountain bandits' (even though both kinds are considered to be criminals) are entirely different in Luffy's book. 'I hate mountain robbers' it's funny how Luffy said this with a straight face. :D Either way... Ace is being kinda mean (understandable though, considering his circumstances), I feel sorry for Luffy... It's kinda touching though that Luffy doesn't stop following him ^^ The funniest part is Luffy's attempt at lying... let's just say- he did his best -_-' I also wonder what will happen to Sabo? Will he die sacrificing himself or will he turn out to be a traitor or sth? This flashback is nice, but I would like to see Mugiwara's reunion TT_TT

Zeltrax
May 02, 2010, 08:33 PM
so the cover stories are going to about hogback trip this time.
Chapter was okay, obviously, a flashback.
looks like its gonna be a long one.
I like how ace dun give a damn about luffy but luffy is damn persistent.
Oh and dadan is such a jerk.
Luffy face is priceless too :D

Super Angillis
May 02, 2010, 08:51 PM
Wow, Ace was kinda a little bastard to Luffy. But it seems that Luffy didn't give up. I wonder what happened to Sabo?

llamapie
May 02, 2010, 09:05 PM
Wow, Ace was kinda a little bastard to Luffy. But it seems that Luffy didn't give up. I wonder what happened to Sabo?

I imagine we're gonna find out. This could also be where ace gets his devil fruit maybe?

Junaid_Sennin
May 02, 2010, 09:12 PM
Dear lord Ace, what a douchey little grumpypants you are!
[hr]

I imagine we're gonna find out. This could also be where ace gets his devil fruit maybe?

nope.

Luffy said Ace never had a devil fruit ability when they were together.

El-Thor
May 02, 2010, 09:51 PM
what? we should get a chapter next week, unless u know something i dont. ace doesnt have his flame fruit yet. he did not get it until he went out 2 sea.

Ya Ya, I just mean this chapter was supposed to come out this week.. so we won't be getting another chapter until next Wednesday.. which is about 2 weeks give or take.

Flashbacks should be over in a chapter or two. Something will surely happen to Sabo, and Luffy will do something to make Ace love him. Luffy can't really get beat up at this point in the story. I can't help but feel that Sabo will get captured and Luffy will fight the pirates ala Shanks fighting the mountain bandits. He will then give a short speech about kicking peoples' asses who hurt his friends.

BlackHair
May 02, 2010, 10:33 PM
It's been a while since I was more looking forward to Bleach or Naruto than One Piece. Can't wait until this flashback is over. Hopefully this is finished within 5 chapters (5 weeks).

This flashback repeats the same old cliché. Just too predictable and thus rly disappointing.

Uriel
May 02, 2010, 10:45 PM
Can't wait until this flashback is over. Hopefully this is finished within 5 chapters (5 weeks).
This flashback repeats the same old cliché. Just too predictable and thus rly disappointing.
I don't think it's disappointing, but I do agree that I want it ending soon. I really want to see the rest of Mugiwaras.

Truefan21
May 02, 2010, 10:50 PM
Sabo wears a top hat with goggles. Shanks wears a cape with shorts and sandals. Luffy dresses like a farmer. Only Oda can make stuff like that look so damn cool

KaoruArimi
May 02, 2010, 11:20 PM
flashbacks are great for character development. there was a huge gap from when Luffy met Shanks and his time growing up and leaving to be a pirate. aren't you guys excited that we finally get to see this????? I LOVE this flashback. I want to SEE MORE. I hope it stretches for as long as it needs to for us to see how close Luffy and Ace are and how they grew to have such a close bond. It's okay to just hear about it from Luffy and get a glimpse of it from earlier chapters but now it's full heads on flashback! this is totally awesome!! Luffy is so cute. Nice to see he didn't change that much at all! haha

I expected ace to be tough but wow was he bad ass.

In my humble opinion the flashbacks of Zorro, Robin, Nami, and all the SH crew when they were little and what they dealt with growing up made us understand them more. Love them more. We didn't get to see alot of Ace and now Oda is giving us a gift. Makes his death even sadder and more meaningful. GREAT chapter. Bring On The Flashbacks!

chess4
May 02, 2010, 11:28 PM
the other flashbacks were ok because we knew little about the character before, but since we already know about luffy and ace, i hope this flashback is short. ace and sabo are both dead, so i dont see a need for a lot of flashback

zerocooldx
May 02, 2010, 11:43 PM
Lolz Luffy was even more hilarious as a kid.

johnnyb7
May 02, 2010, 11:44 PM
My guess is that Sabo is dead now.

SenninSage
May 03, 2010, 12:25 AM
What a totally awesome chapter. I'm hoping that, in addition to all that's about to transpire, that Garp shows up and just utterly destroys not only a good deal of the Bluejam pirates, but annihilates their captain with virtual ease as well.

I think this all the time, but damn this manga is a masterpiece. It's just packed full of so much amazing and interesting content. There are numerous interesting facts to learn, and that the author takes advantage of, there are numerous super interesting and different characters. This is how you tell a damn story, I love it.
[hr]

flashbacks are great for character development. there was a huge gap from when Luffy met Shanks and his time growing up and leaving to be a pirate. aren't you guys excited that we finally get to see this????? I LOVE this flashback. I want to SEE MORE. I hope it stretches for as long as it needs to for us to see how close Luffy and Ace are and how they grew to have such a close bond. It's okay to just hear about it from Luffy and get a glimpse of it from earlier chapters but now it's full heads on flashback! this is totally awesome!! Luffy is so cute. Nice to see he didn't change that much at all! haha

I expected ace to be tough but wow was he bad ass.

In my humble opinion the flashbacks of Zorro, Robin, Nami, and all the SH crew when they were little and what they dealt with growing up made us understand them more. Love them more. We didn't get to see alot of Ace and now Oda is giving us a gift. Makes his death even sadder and more meaningful. GREAT chapter. Bring On The Flashbacks!

Very, very well said. Those flashback chapters were a major part of what got me into this manga in the first place. It convinced me that it may just be worth my time.

BlackHair
May 03, 2010, 01:04 AM
What a totally awesome chapter. I'm hoping that, in addition to all that's about to transpire, that Garp shows up and just utterly destroys not only a good deal of the Bluejam pirates, but annihilates their captain with virtual ease as well.I rather think Dadan will show up. After all she was mentioned in Ace's last words. There has to be a good reason for that. Probably she will help them out and after that she beats/scolds Ace and Luffy.. Sth like that. Anyway, highly unlikely that Garp will appear.

About flashbacks, well it is always good for character development, but usually it also solves mysteries or is plot-wise needed. This flashback doesn't solve that purpose. I think it is just dedicated to late Ace. To deepen his character in the story. Since his death was over shadowed by WB's epic death. Not to mention that I didn't feel sorry for Ace, as he died. I think Oda wants to change that with this flashback.

So for me not rly interesting, since well.. Ace is dead. Not that I hate him, but I don't like him either. Im much more looking forward to the after war effects. Yonko's reaction on WB's death, his now under attack territories, the SHs, Bounty.. etc.

jiminy
May 03, 2010, 01:35 AM
I agree that Dadan has to do something so that Ace would think of her like that when he was in his last breaths. Maybe she shows some kind of power to Ace and Luffy to make them somehow respect her more.

And since they are mountain bandits, you would think the citizens that Luffy was living with would not know much about them. But the mayor seems to know of them and did not speak of Dadan in any ill way.

coqui018
May 03, 2010, 01:57 AM
i think the flash back is necessary for luffy as he has just come to grips that ace is dead, in my eyes it is like when someone important in your family dies and your at the funeral or looking at something you own and you remember the times you spent with that person which makes you sad but helps reminds you that they are still with you in spirit. granted it would be great to see what the effects of the war are around the world, but for this moment in time i find it more meaningful for us to see luffy grieve and come to a still point with the whole mess that has transpired before him.

Superman
May 03, 2010, 02:10 AM
HAHAHAHA the last page is so cute HAHAHAHA nobody buys that with so innocent eyes and stuff HAHAHA Luffy was an idiot in the past and he is today PFFFF HAHAHA

OQO
May 03, 2010, 02:44 AM
I've started to think that maybe Sabo isn't going to die or do something heroic, but I think he's gonna run off with the treasure, and hide away, leaving Ace alone dealing with the pirates... Otherwise Ace wouldn't refer to an old friend in his last moments with cold words like "the Sabo Thing"!! Doesn't make sense. And he has to bond with Luffy: ergo Luffy has to show Ace the true meaning of friendship.:eyeroll

Organizized
May 03, 2010, 04:39 AM
I've started to think that maybe Sabo isn't going to die or do something heroic, but I think he's gonna run off with the treasure, and hide away, leaving Ace alone dealing with the pirates... Otherwise Ace wouldn't refer to an old friend in his last moments with cold words like "the Sabo Thing"!! Doesn't make sense. And he has to bond with Luffy: ergo Luffy has to show Ace the true meaning of friendship.:eyeroll

The "Sabo thing" isn't completely accurate, though. It's just what most translators used since they didn't know who or what Sabo was at the time. Here's what cnet said about it in his translation:

Luffy: You told me, didn't you, Ace...?!!! // You said you wouldn't die~~~~~~~!!! / Uunnhhh...
Ace: ...Yeah... you know... if it weren't for the Sabo thing... and having a little brother like you to look out for... // ...I would never have... even... wanted to live...
[TN: I hate you, Oda. Okay, DISCLAIMER: I have no idea what "sabo no ken" refers to. "~no ken" is pretty much the vaguest structure ever, and I don't know whether "sabo" is a person's name, the name of a thing, or anything else that it could feasibly refer to (edict suggests that the word can be an abbreviation of "sabotage", or a type of shoes, and to be honest, I can't rule either of those out either).]

So I don't think that can be proof of anything. Just saying.

The fact that he mentioned Sabo as a reason to live could either be the "fulfilling their dream" or "getting revenge" scenario. I do think Oda is going to be predictable here, though, and kill Sabo off.

SuperShuter
May 03, 2010, 05:13 AM
That little bandit might be following them and looking out for them in secret, I don't know if it was close to the bandits hide out or a coincidence when the small one saved luffy at the water fall. Against a pirate crew I can't see what ace and just sabo are going to do, it would be cool if dadan comes and kicks ass after ace comes to save luffy or some act of bravery.

hdiuy
May 03, 2010, 05:18 AM
Damn Oda is teasing with us, by having the flashback now is making us having a terrible time waiting for what is going to happen next . I'm still waiting for more Dadan action.

Razh
May 03, 2010, 05:38 AM
I hope to see Garp kicking ass. After all, it's been 3 months, about time he pays a visit.

OQO
May 03, 2010, 06:25 AM
The "Sabo thing" isn't completely accurate, though. It's just what most translators used since they didn't know who or what Sabo was at the time.

The fact that he mentioned Sabo as a reason to live could either be the "fulfilling their dream" or "getting revenge" scenario. I do think Oda is going to be predictable here, though, and kill Sabo off.

I thought about it too: it has been a way to "hint at something without reveal anything", but... in a cold and detached way nonetheless. Don't you think? Ace could have used other words: as you said no one knew what or who Sabo was! He could have just said his name, or hint at something else like a debt... In my opinion, the point of such an expression is to show bitterness, or regret (but without affection)...
Maybe Sabo dies at the end, but I think he will be the author of his demise and not a hero. Could be a twist, just for the likes of changes.
:amuse

beastboy
May 03, 2010, 06:52 AM
I would like to see some scene with Dadan entering and saying:
"Jeez, you guys are so trouble some, if it wasn't for Garp, I would have killed you long time a go"
And then kills the sword bastard with ease!

I guess that if Sabo dies it will be do to the poisonous gases that come from the pile of garbage.
But I guess he will just gain some contagious diseases and won't follow is life as a pirate cause he doesn't want to spread it to the world...
Or he will just quit being a pirate and join the marines! I mean almost every little boy in my country wants to be a soccer player, but in the end, only a few chose to be soccer players...

My guess is Sabo is a live...

stoz500
May 03, 2010, 07:03 AM
It's been a while since I was more looking forward to Bleach or Naruto than One Piece. Can't wait until this flashback is over. Hopefully this is finished within 5 chapters (5 weeks).

I While get everyone wanting to reunite the strawhats (I'm looking forward to it to!) I find the insight into Luffy's character really interesting. Oda has always sprinkled little bits of information about the history of the characters in the One piece world. The war arc has revealed some amazing stuff filling in so many of the gaps in our knowledge. This post war arc is the first time we are seeing Luffy's childhood in any real way since the first few chapters with shanks. I'm sure these next few chapters will help us both understand Luffy better (as well as his deep relationship with Ace) but also be the catalyst to his recovery and provide the future direction for the manga.

I enjoy action and fights and crazy new characters as much as the next person but one of the things that sets One piece apart from other mangas is its heart. It combines action with humour, drama and real emotion. I can't wait to learn more about Luffy and Ace and Dadan and Garp and Sabo (who seems like an Artful Dodger type character). Oda knows what he is doing. He is a master at setting the pace of the story and letting it move along as it should. I know its difficult but have some patience and just enjoy it.

sarutobi_sensei
May 03, 2010, 07:12 AM
So we are finally actually learning of Luffy's past. We knew that he ate the Gomu Gomu no Mi, met shanks, was sent to a forest and sent flying with balloons and that some point he met ace and they became brothers.

Now we are finally seeing when and how that happened. I don't mind @ all.

I must say, Ace really was a little devil @ that time. Trying numerous times to kill Luffy. The guy had issues xD

So that's the Sabo thing. Most likely Sabo will die to protect Ace and Luffy or something like that, thus resulting in Luffy and Ace becoming brothers, by Ace accepting that other people like him. What I predict is that Luffy will not reveal the information of the treasure and be constantly beat up and they'll not know what is wrong because he isn't dead yet and the other 2 get in the way and try to save him.

Either way, Sabo will most likely die.

PaPiPuPePo~
May 03, 2010, 07:20 AM
i dont think that sabo will die hmm
i think he run away with all the moneys or something like that and leave ace alone XD or he join the crew who captured luffy XD
Luffy is so cute

frontaLobotomy
May 03, 2010, 07:29 AM
All in all, a very good chapter. Given the frantic pace of the war, it's pleasant to slow things down a bit and work on some character development. This Sabo kid seems interesting, in that it's not exactly a poor prediction that he may well die in the next chapter, I'm inclined to think he will die also. I wonder if Dadan is strong, or is it just their way of life that Garp thought would provide the best means of training for Ace and Luffy, while keeping them hidden from the World Government.. Either way, someone will have to do something against those pirates. Maybe Garp? Dadan? Or even a hint towards Luffy's Haki? It should be fun, in any case.

Darek Khort
May 03, 2010, 07:41 AM
Thinking about it, does Ace already have the fire-fire (or was it flame?) devil fruit yet? If not, maybe he eats it at some point and from absolute rage or some other reason 'explodes' in flames, killing not only the pirates but Sabo as well. Luffy is already a rubber-man at this point in time, so I assume he gets charred but doesn't die from this explosion.

That's what I think anyway; this whole theory hangs on a thread though based on the assumption Ace still hasn't eaten his devil fruit yet.

OQO
May 03, 2010, 07:48 AM
or he join the crew who captured luffy XD

That's another good idea! And would show how determined, loyal and strong is Luffy's heart in comparison to Sabo's, eventually.

I just don't want another good but -long- dead character, especially in this flashback, to cry out for: there's already Ace! It's more than enough tears. If Sabo is gonna turn out a traitor/weak-heart, I don't care if he dies, and Ace will have his -past- little moment of glory (He has to save Luffy, as was said he always did): on the other hand, what would be the meaning of making someone else the hero of this flashback? Luffy is mourning Ace, not Sabo! Who cares about him?... I think that Sabo is just someone that identifies an experince, a lesson that the brothers learned and that brought them together. Just... the Sabo thing!

Ace hasn't got the Mera Mera powers jet. Luffy said to the SH that he couldn't beat Ace even before he gained them, and they have just met! Ergo Ace doesn't have them...

deffkryz
May 03, 2010, 08:03 AM
This chapter was ... IMO decent. Not the best but far from being boring or actually mediocre. Seems to me as if we're going to have at least four or six chapters of flashback (still to come).

Well this already is the "After GW chapter" since right this week is the Golden Week - Japanese can buy the SJ containing this chapter from next Monday on at their shops. And that's the part Shueisha was upset about with the RAWs being published early so no one's ought to buy SJ. But that's partially also Shueisha's fault since they printed the SJ a week earlier and sent them to stores that sell the mag earlier than they should...

So since we got the early chapter, we'll have probably have to wait until next Thursday/Friday for No. 584.

imudkip
May 03, 2010, 08:32 AM
It just occurred to me that Ace changed a lot since childhood. In the flashback, he seems like a serious and nonchalent person. But in Arabasta, he seemed like an idiot, just like Luffy, falling a sleep all of a sudden while eating.

Something major must have happened in the flashback to change Ace that much.

Ratatosk
May 03, 2010, 09:12 AM
That was a good surprise, although if that's true about it not even being on sale in Japan yet, the people who scanned the raws are so getting sacked :/

One thing about this manga is that flashbacks are always harsh, usually harsher than the main story. Top-hat-kid is so dead...

Next week (or the week after?) Luffy gets beaten to a pulp again while refusing to tell them where the treasure is, rants about the Pirate King, and finally manages to impress Ace. I don't mind another few chapters of flashback, chibi-Luffy is awesome, and there's plenty of mysteries to be filled in there.
I just hope One Piece doesn't do a major time-skip, it always seems like such a waste and cop-out when manga artists do that, and Oda's easily skilled enough to show people getting older as it happens. I want to see every minute of the story! but must be damn weird for him and his assistants not drawing the rest of the crew for over a year.

WinningDays
May 03, 2010, 09:17 AM
Luffy happened.

Oh god why is this chapter out so early!? I couldn't help myself so I read it and now I have to wait until next Monday to be able to talk about with non-forum people...T_T

I love this Ace & Luffy flashback though. Luffy is so cute, it makes me smile :D his "lying face" was especially endearing... And Luffy!!! he's just too cute!!!! (I need more vocabulary...)

And I wonder what happened to Sabo... He seems like a good guy, but where is he now? I'm guessing he's dead already. It would be nice if he ended up as a Marine though...

Anyways, if next chapter Luffy doesn't rat out the treasure's hiding spot and that makes Ace respect him more and they start to get along or something; that would be too predictable so I'm hoping something else happens... like Luffy beats them up himself or something or maybe they against them together... damn, why is this chapter out so early... I can't wait 2 weeks...

sarutobi_sensei
May 03, 2010, 09:24 AM
That's what I think anyway; this whole theory hangs on a thread though based on the assumption Ace still hasn't eaten his devil fruit yet.

He doesn't have it yet. He got it sometime before he left the village and sometime before he met Luffy again in Arabasta.

That's another good idea! And would show how determined, loyal and strong is Luffy's heart in comparison to Sabo's, eventually.

I just don't want another good but -long- dead character, especially in this flashback, to cry out for: there's already Ace! It's more than enough tears. If Sabo is gonna turn out a traitor/weak-heart, I don't care if he dies, and Ace will have his -past- little moment of glory (He has to save Luffy, as was said he always did): on the other hand, what would be the meaning of making someone else the hero of this flashback? Luffy is mourning Ace, not Sabo! Who cares about him?... I think that Sabo is just someone that identifies an experince, a lesson that the brothers learned and that brought them together. Just... the Sabo thing!

Ace hasn't got the Mera Mera powers jet. Luffy said to the SH that he couldn't beat Ace even before he gained them, and they have just met! Ergo Ace doesn't have them...

Agree.

So since we got the early chapter, we'll have probably have to wait until next Thursday/Friday for No. 584.

Only on next week, from monday to wednesday will we get the chapter. This 383 chapter goes on sale next week on monday.

I can't wait 2 weeks...
You don't have to wait 2 weeks, just 1 week and 2 days xD

Ashura_Ichibugin
May 03, 2010, 09:26 AM
I would like to see some scene with Dadan entering and saying:
"Jeez, you guys are so trouble some, if it wasn't for Garp, I would have killed you long time a go"
And then kills the sword bastard with ease!

I guess that if Sabo dies it will be do to the poisonous gases that come from the pile of garbage.
But I guess he will just gain some contagious diseases and won't follow is life as a pirate cause he doesn't want to spread it to the world...
Or he will just quit being a pirate and join the marines! I mean almost every little boy in my country wants to be a soccer player, but in the end, only a few chose to be soccer players...

My guess is Sabo is a live...

I would like to see the exact opposite. I want Dadan to be weak. Come on, Luffy's grandfather is a legendary marine, his father is the most wanted man of the world, his adoptive brother was the son of Gol D. Roger and Whitebeard's 2nd division commander... I want to see someone weak related to him.

Thinking about it, does Ace already have the fire-fire (or was it flame?) devil fruit yet? If not, maybe he eats it at some point and from absolute rage or some other reason 'explodes' in flames, killing not only the pirates but Sabo as well. Luffy is already a rubber-man at this point in time, so I assume he gets charred but doesn't die from this explosion.

If I am not misdirected by translations, Luffy has never seen Ace with his DF powers before Arabasta. I am amazed at how widely unknown this fact is.

topkomputer
May 03, 2010, 09:31 AM
I agree that Dadan has to do something so that Ace would think of her like that when he was in his last breaths. Maybe she shows some kind of power to Ace and Luffy to make them somehow respect her more.

And since they are mountain bandits, you would think the citizens that Luffy was living with would not know much about them. But the mayor seems to know of them and did not speak of Dadan in any ill way.

I'm agree with you. I want to see how ace is so connected to her at the end of his life. Oda wrote her as their foster mother. I want to see emotional relation between Dadan, Ace and luffy. But so far, she acted just like Nami, what a strange revelation

Razh
May 03, 2010, 09:36 AM
She seems to respect Ace, at least. And Luffy is still new there. A lot could have happened in the following years they were living there.

And really, what's up with asking if Ace had the fruit even then? I would have thought that people would remember that Luffy said that Ace was always stronger then him, even though he had no devil fruit.

This one and the other page.
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/159/07/

ScratchmenApoo
May 03, 2010, 09:46 AM
I think Garp took Ace and Luffy back under his arm to raise them as marines, but both Ace and Luffy never dropped the dream of becoming a pirate.
When Ace spent more and more time with Luffy, he took some of his stupid tendencies.
Ace had a much harder childhood than Luffy, that's why he is more mature and mannerful now.

goldb
May 03, 2010, 10:05 AM
It just occurred to me that Ace changed a lot since childhood. In the flashback, he seems like a serious and nonchalent person. But in Arabasta, he seemed like an idiot, just like Luffy, falling a sleep all of a sudden while eating.

Something major must have happened in the flashback to change Ace that much.

I think Garp took Ace and Luffy back under his arm to raise them as marines, but both Ace and Luffy never dropped the dream of becoming a pirate.
When Ace spent more and more time with Luffy, he took some of his stupid tendencies.
Ace had a much harder childhood than Luffy, that's why he is more mature and mannerful now.

Ace has never been portrayed as stupid, far from it in fact. Hes very respectful and courteous, even greeting Lafitte in Banaro Island. What has changed is Ace became warmer towards people and cherished the bonds he had, and that's because of Luffy and WB pirates. He never had that growing up, though he had Garp and Dadan...it wasn't the same.

Doesn't Sabo look like a character out of an Oliver Twist story????

Mr. Crocodile
May 03, 2010, 10:20 AM
I'm still wondering if the Hogback/Absalom thing is the start of a new coverstory cuz they always have a title at the bottom but this one doesn't.

TauCarlos
May 03, 2010, 10:58 AM
Wow!! I love this chapter!! I knew Ace was strong but wow!! He kicked down a tree when he was only 10!! and when Dadan goes on telling Luffy just how rough it's going to be, a bowl of rice and cup of water a day, all he says is "Alright" wtf and thats a 7 year old!! The word monster doesn't even cut it for those two!!

My Prediction, Dadan hates pirates with a passion, enough to kick ass once she finds out they kidnapped Luffy. Sabo doesn't die, he'll probably make a get away or become a pirate without ace.
Still I feel that if he were alive and was still good friends with Ace he would have been at his execution.

I don't really care if flashbacks are predictable or not since there has never been a flashback that hasn't revealed something we didn't know and turned the little we do know into something that changes or impacts our opinion. Oda is just that great a writer, I couldn't be bored even if I wanted, I mean he even makes the cover stories awesome!

OunknownO
May 03, 2010, 11:48 AM
I think in this flashback, the next chapter probably, we will see Ace possibly, out of necessity, obtain his Mera Mera devil fruit from either the Bluejam pirates or just somehow stumble upon it on the island. And i think after that Ace and Luffy will dispose of the Bluejam pirates and share a drunk thus becoming brothers. At which point the flashback will end.

he got mera mera fruit later, because rember that Luffy was suprised that ace ate devil fruit when they first met in alabasta

zerocooldx
May 03, 2010, 12:26 PM
he got mera mera fruit later, because rember that Luffy was suprised that ace ate devil fruit when they first met in alabasta

Hmm i always thought that Luffy was surprised of how Ace saved him. But after rereading that chapter it definitely seems as if Ace got his DF after he left.

OQO
May 03, 2010, 01:12 PM
Doesn't Sabo look like a character out of an Oliver Twist story????

Yeeep! I knew I had seen it before! I didn't link his design with Oliver Twist thought, but now that you bring it on... I'll search for a picture! :tem

Here it is! You're right!
http://images.movieplayer.it/2003/07/11/harry-eden-in-oliver-twist-19593.jpg
http://www.realmovienews.com/movieimages/384/482/482_968_still_3_f.jpg
Removed image tags, no hotlinking please. thx

zelllogan
May 03, 2010, 01:52 PM
I really don't see why there is a flashback about Luffy's childhood. I don't care that much about luffy's past ... we had enough elements before.

k-dom
May 03, 2010, 01:55 PM
I'm still wondering if the Hogback/Absalom thing is the start of a new coverstory cuz they always have a title at the bottom but this one doesn't.

well maybe they didn't put it in the chinese raw, maybe we have to wait for more official translation. It's true that first cover stories episodes are more mysterious in general.

Concerning the Sabo event it is something that make Ace want to live so it is probably not something like betrayal or else more likely a promise that they did together. I'm curious to know how Sabo was able to become Ace friend, seing how he treats Luffy.

goldb
Yeeep! I knew I had seen it before! I didn't link his design with Oliver Twist thought, but now that you bring it on... I'll search for a picture! :tem

That's exactly it!! Their childhoos stories even have some similarities, with the thievery and all.

Immo
My prediction for this flashback:
1) Pirates are trying to torture Luffy but cuz he is rubber, nothing happens.
2) Captain of Pirates appear and trying to kill Luffy if he doesn't tell them, where the Ace, Sabo, and treasure are.
3) Luffy gives long speech about him not betraying friends, and their dream about sailing on ship bought from this money
4) Ace decides to save Luffy, and Sabo says "screw it" and leaves place with treasure

OQO
May 03, 2010, 02:24 PM
Dickens inspired Oda! I find this great!!

OT: I have one question out of the blue... After Luffy used unconsciously his Haki at MHQ, Ace exclaimed "You too..." (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/570/02/)... did he mind that he, Ace himself, had Haki powers too?? I'm sure its not shown or explained in the manga, but what do you think? Is there a thread about it?

Razh
May 03, 2010, 02:32 PM

Artful Dodger. If I recall correctly, he was caught for pickpocketing and ended up in a penal colony.

OQO
May 03, 2010, 02:41 PM
Artful Dodger. If I recall correctly, he was caught for pickpocketing and ended up in a penal colony.

Yes! :D

http://bmtv.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/artdodger1.jpg

Maybe Sabo will share his fate and end in jail.

goldb
May 03, 2010, 02:42 PM
Dickens inspired Oda! I find this great!!

OT: I have one question out of the blue... After Luffy used unconsciously his Haki at MHQ, Ace exclaimed "You too..." (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/570/02/)... did he mind that he, Ace himself, had Haki powers too?? I'm sure its not shown or explained in the manga, but what do you think? Is there a thread about it?

Well I chose to see that comment as Ace being suprised that Luffy has the same haki as Whitebeard and so that's why he said "you too?"

I think Sabo will end up sacrificing himself to save the other two or something so that's why Ace decided to live on for both of them.

OQO
May 03, 2010, 02:47 PM
Well I chose to see that comment as Ace being suprised that Luffy has the same haki as Whitebeard and so that's why he said "you too?"

Oh, you must be right: if Ace had Haki powers things would have gone differently. Its not something you "keep for later", he would have used them! Didn't think about this little aspect...

Thanks ;)

Razh
May 03, 2010, 03:17 PM
Actually, we can't be sure what Ace meant based on only those words. From the way he said it, I thought he also had it.

And to be fair, we can't know if he had used it or not. As far as I'm concerned, Oda made 2 big mistakes. Not showing more of Ace vs. Blackbeard battle is one of them.
The other one is Blackbeard acquiring second devil fruit.

beastboy
May 03, 2010, 04:27 PM
C'mon, now that I think about it, it might be more cliché, but more cooller than what we were thinking:
-Sabo doesn't trusts half is treasure to Ace, and try's to run away with it, cause guess what, he is the son of the Pirate King.
-Ace gets really pissed and is going to kill Sabo off
-But Luffy puts the "The tears won't stop *_*" face and says "You're the son of the Pirate King, you're great, and I'm you're friend" while tied up and being tortured!
-Ace saves Luffy, but Sabo gets caught, he sacrifices him self to save Sabo, and asks Luffy to ran away with him (sabo)!
-When Ace returns he gives the "I won't die and let my little bro alone" speech
-Sabo returns the treasure and never talks to Ace again, but is last words to him are "I'm sorry for what I said before, its great that you're the pirate king son, and thats nothing to be afraid of, take this money and continue our dream, I don't deserve it!

Or something between thos lifes, with a more Oddish way of writting!

Uriel
May 03, 2010, 07:03 PM
Now I wonder if Sabo is still alive and what He's doing.

It would be interesting to know :O

elitefox
May 03, 2010, 07:04 PM
Luffy happened.

Oh god why is this chapter out so early!? I couldn't help myself so I read it and now I have to wait until next Monday to be able to talk about with non-forum people...T_T

I love this Ace & Luffy flashback though. Luffy is so cute, it makes me smile :D his "lying face" was especially endearing... And Luffy!!! he's just too cute!!!! (I need more vocabulary...)

And I wonder what happened to Sabo... He seems like a good guy, but where is he now? I'm guessing he's dead already. It would be nice if he ended up as a Marine though...

Anyways, if next chapter Luffy doesn't rat out the treasure's hiding spot and that makes Ace respect him more and they start to get along or something; that would be too predictable so I'm hoping something else happens... like Luffy beats them up himself or something or maybe they against them together... damn, why is this chapter out so early... I can't wait 2 weeks...

You may want to try adorable:p

anyways,
this chap doesn't make me go yeah awesome lol

but still waiting for something to happen;)

I hope this flashbacks also discusses how ace got the mera mera fruit lol

panasit
May 03, 2010, 08:29 PM
I still say that this is the story Oda planned to make a movie about of before he change the plot to Strong World. He said in the interview that he drafted Luffy backstory to be used in a movie and it's supposed to be very emotional but then he changed it cuz boys would not like it in theatre. I'm paraphrasing but that was the impression I got.

I think Sabo was a character that is newly created for that idea. Therefore, I think he will survive long enough to become an adult allies/foe, and Luffy would have to face him before reuniting with his friends. Although this is contradicting the idea that after the flashback, we will immediately see a time jump and a brand new adult Luffy.

I was never against adult Luffy, but I just wish they waited a little longer.

lelouche123
May 04, 2010, 12:35 AM
i don't sure about these but
really oda takes another week ???
please someone knows somthing about that???

senewe
May 04, 2010, 03:48 AM
not a wow chapter, and to think that this chapter made us waiting for two weeks.....
I think sabo saved the chapter. what do you guys think sabo's fate? is he still alive? if he is, I'd like to see him being a water man. (simply because his pal is flame man)

Dr. Vegapunk
May 04, 2010, 05:13 AM
Im gonna go on the loop and say Sabo lives.......and doesnt become either a pirate or marine.

He looks like a shady type of character and most likely works behind the scenes.

sindergi
May 04, 2010, 05:22 AM
I think Sabo lives and betrayed Ace in the past and Ace wanted/wants revenge....

Ace said : : ...Yeah... you know... if it weren't for the Sabo thing... and having a little brother like you to look out for... // ...I would never have... even... wanted to live...

Why did Ace said "Sabo-thing" - sounds not very kind.....
...so i think that was one reason why he wanted to live - for revenge.

But probably im wrong......

DLord.Van.Buuren
May 04, 2010, 06:05 AM
not a wow chapter, and to think that this chapter made us waiting for two weeks

we have ace alive in a flashback isnt that great , we'll probably never see ace in the manga again , so ace fans should savour these moments .

Razh
May 04, 2010, 06:08 AM
Why did Ace said "Sabo-thing" - sounds not very kind.....
...so i think that was one reason why he wanted to live - for revenge.

The line in japanese is too vague to point to anything. It was translated as "Sabo thing" because that's the most correct translation without knowing the full context of the thing. deffkryz explained it in one of last pages.
Since the original is too vague, it could mean anything. You could insert a lot of words instead the "thing" since it wasn't specified whether it was something positive or negative. So really, it could be "Sabo betrayal", "Sabo tragedy", "Sabo sacrifice", "Sabo friendship", "Sabo's dream", "Sabo's last words" and so on and so on, you get the idea.
Anyway, that's my understanding.

DLord.Van.Buuren
May 04, 2010, 06:14 AM
so thats what the translator meant , i guess we havent got enough clue on what " sabo thing " could mean , we'll have to wait and see , but as you said its likely that it meant sabo's sacrifice .

OQO
May 04, 2010, 06:42 AM
I read exactly in the broadness of this statement its unimportance... I wouldn't use such an expression to identify something meaningful in my last moments, would you? I'm sure Ace would have spent more words for a dear lost friend. And if Sabo died sacrificing himself, I think Ace would have had more than one regret! His thoughts went only to Luffy, WB and his nakama. I'm sure Sabo isn't going to be emotionally important for Ace. Or at least I hope so. Giving importance to Sabo hasn't got a point: Ace is already dead. It would make sense if Sabo meant something for Luffy. He is actually the one remembering those facts!!

Makki
May 04, 2010, 07:28 AM
I really have a feeling that Sabo betrayed Ace when he was younger. Perhaps he took all the money they collected and went out to the seas on his own.

Hopefully this flashback doesn't take longer than 2 more chapters. I want to see how the things on the island of women develops.

chess4
May 04, 2010, 09:14 AM
i dont know about everyone else, but i am irritated with the story. i know luffy is the main character, but the focus has been squarely on him for almost 2 years. what makes one piece so good is the entire strawhat crew, their interaction with each other, and the journey to reach their dream. i must admit the war was great and the strawhats seperating will be good for their development.

it seems to me as if the story is dragging along. we all know luffy and ace were tight, so i dont see the need for a long flashback. not only has the focus not been on the other strawhats, but the numerous and more frequent weekly breaks are even more irritating. i laso understand that the author needs breaks to gather his thoughts and thats understandable. i just wish we could see what the other strawhats are doing.

the flashback will last at least another 2 chapters and we probably still will not get to see the other hats

KalelDaNinja11
May 04, 2010, 10:01 AM
i dont know about everyone else, but i am irritated with the story. i know luffy is the main character, but the focus has been squarely on him for almost 2 years. what makes one piece so good is the entire strawhat crew, their interaction with each other, and the journey to reach their dream. i must admit the war was great and the strawhats seperating will be good for their development.

it seems to me as if the story is dragging along. we all know luffy and ace were tight, so i dont see the need for a long flashback. not only has the focus been of the other strawhats, but the numerous and more frequent weekly breaks are even more irritating. i laso understand that the author needs breaks to gather his thoughts and thats understandable. i just wish we could see what the other strawhats are doing.

the flashback will last at least another 2 chapters and we probably still will not get to see the other hats

i agree i honestly dont get the feeling of wanting to read this flashblack

monkeyD.
May 04, 2010, 10:58 AM
Is it just me or is there someone standing in the trees, middle right box.

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/583/13/

And i think the "Sabo thing" refers to them saving money for a pirate ship since it gave him a goal in life at the point.

goldb
May 04, 2010, 11:06 AM
Is it just me or is there someone standing in the trees, middle right box.

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/583/13/

And i think the "Sabo thing" refers to them saving money for a pirate ship since it gave him a goal in life at the point.

No, that's just you.

I personally think it's a sacrifice on Sabo's behalf, but whatever it is we're bound to see it soon in the coming chapters.

happy GIN smily
May 04, 2010, 12:55 PM
to me this whole flashback is just some kind of filler. as if Oda doesnt know how to proceed with the plot. so he makes up some emotional bullshit to buy some time and make up his mind

hope after this break he will improve back to the old quality from before

Akainu
May 04, 2010, 01:17 PM
Please tone it down a little, o.k.? Saying "I don't like it for this and that reason" is possible without calling it "bullshit" (just to use the latest example) and if you know Oda, it sounds a little absurd that someone with that kind of storytelling abilities needs to buy time. I wrote about it earlier and I'll gladly repeat it, but if not now, when do you think this flashback should have happend? it doesn't fit in anywhere else and if we had i after thriller bark it would have been even more ou of place for some.
So without this minor flashback (I wouldn't give it more than two further chapters), which probably is the reason for Luffy's recovery, there would be no explanation why he's happy again?

LeDuck
May 04, 2010, 01:26 PM
to me this whole flashback is just some kind of filler. as if Oda doesnt know how to proceed with the plot. so he makes up some emotional bullshit to buy some time and make up his mind

...I can't believe how many people are bitching about this flashback. So far Oda has shown us many times how far he had planned ahead the story (La Boum anyone?). How about you guys have a little bit more trust and try to enjoy the story a little bit more. The strawhats will unite, but there is nothing wrong with a slow pace and flashbacks, otherwise everything will feel rushed and pale compared to the last arc.
It's nice that the first ''main'' character that died gets a little bit story background, since we don't really know that much about Ace.
For me Robin's story was by far the best moment in One Piece, so I wouldn't want to miss chapters like these.

Razh
May 04, 2010, 01:27 PM
Shit, we deserve to know at least something about Luffy and Ace's childhood, and you know, if not know, when?

I am hoping for a little more background information on Luffy's family. It would be nice if we found out more about Dragon. AND Luffy's MOTHER, for fuck sake.

BlackHair
May 04, 2010, 02:20 PM
Well I don't know about anyone else, but Im bitching cause there is this golden week break. I lost any exceptions for Naruto and Bleach a long time ago and the only weekly releases who kept me entertaining are Fairy Tale, Psyren, Beelzebub and One Piece. There are also other shounen I read, but you can't call them weekly. Anyway, with this flashback I have only 3 remaining weekly manga to read. But due to golden week break I have nothing. So I don't have a better thing to do than complaining if its about OP right now.

Im personally not interested in a young Luffy or Ace. If it comes to background story about our main protagonist Im only interested in his family, but in this flashback I see 0% for Garp's, Dragon's or Luffy's mother's history. And like said before, this flashback doesn't rly solve anything nor is plot-wise needed.

gh0un
May 04, 2010, 02:21 PM

Qft

Boring chapter is contradicting.
Giving his own grandchild to a criminal, sure why not...

lelouche123
May 04, 2010, 02:24 PM
ace always repeat that he never live with regrets
maibe its a promise
something beetwen him and sabo
before they separated

Roarchu
May 04, 2010, 02:25 PM
Qft

Boring chapter is contradicting.
Giving his own grandchild to a criminal, sure why not...

Criminals aren't bad people just because they're criminals

Luffy's a criminal, and the WG who's covering the whole void century or whatever are the law...

Fox666
May 04, 2010, 02:44 PM
ace always repeat that he never live with regrets
maibe its a promise
something beetwen him and sabo
before they separatedRight at the ending of Impel Down arc and beggining of Marineford arc you see an flashback of Ace making that promise to Luffy.

Razh
May 04, 2010, 02:51 PM
Well I don't know about anyone else, but Im bitching cause there is this golden week break. I lost any exceptions for Naruto and Bleach a long time ago and the only weekly releases who kept me entertaining are Fairy Tale, Psyren, Beelzebub and One Piece. There are also other shounen I read, but you can't call them weekly. Anyway, with this flashback I have only 3 remaining weekly manga to read. But due to golden week break I have nothing. So I don't have a better thing to do than complaining if its about OP right now.

It's offtopic, but try HSD Kenichi if you haven't. Don't be discouraged by a slow start, it's awesome.

Oh right, I should say something about the chapter... Well, yea, it kinda seems like it's going to be only about the relationship between Luffy and Ace. Like nothing really interesting is going to happen. But I'm gonna give Oda a benefit of the doubt and say that he'll surprise us with something. If you think about it, there's any number of ways in which we could be fed some new information. Garp and Dadan seem to know each other well. I'd like to believe that even a jarhead like him wouldn't leave the kids with just anyone. So, if Dadan maybe knew Garp for a while, she could know something about Garp's past, and about his family line.
Or that pirate captain could prove to be more important than we think.

I'm just gonna be an optimist about it. No reason not to be.

OQO
May 04, 2010, 03:06 PM
Flashbacks make Oda's work great. OP is the only manga which shows the background of each one of its characters. That's the good part about it, not the battles, which you can find in every other manga published in history! Just stop whining and enjoy the read: your complaints will not be heard by Oda after all, and will not create a discussion, just bickering...

BlackHair
May 04, 2010, 03:24 PM
your complaints will not be heard by Oda after all, and will not create a discussion, just bickering...Neither will your praises reach Oda or create a discussion. Also I believe no-one rly expected Oda to read our posts lol. It's a forum where ppl can post their opinions on manga, whether it is a bad or good one everyone has his or her right to post.

Anyway, flashbacks aren't the only thing which made this manga great. Not sure about fellow complainer, but personally Im wishing for the SHs, after war effects and story progress in general. Im aware that this flashback won't hold long, yet it is still pissing me off, since it rly has no value.

undertoe
May 04, 2010, 03:39 PM
Neither will your praises reach Oda or create a discussion. Also I believe no-one rly expected Oda to read our posts lol. It's a forum where ppl can post their opinions on manga, whether it is a bad or good one everyone has his or her right to post.

Anyway, flashbacks aren't the only thing which made this manga great. Not sure about fellow complainer, but personally Im wishing for the SHs, after war effects and story progress in general. Im aware that this flashback won't hold long, yet it is still pissing me off, since it rly has no value.

How could you possibly know this flashback won't have value? You don't know what's going to happen. I mean, while you're at it, why don't you go ahead and complain about how disappointed you are with movie 11?

Razh
May 04, 2010, 03:55 PM
Ffs , whats with the crusade here? Can't anyone express their malcontent with a chapter and a flashback?

I'm not especially enthusiastic about it either. Hell, I'd like to see the aftermath of the battle, all those characters and reactions and bounties. At the same time, I know manga is not going to escape anywhere. It will happen. Until then, I can hope that this flashback will turn out to contain more than it seems now.

Akainu
May 04, 2010, 04:21 PM
We had already plenty aftermath of the battle scenes as far as I remember. Not the ones you are all waiting for showing the Whitebeard pirates and Marine HQ, but all around the world in exchange and I don't think we will see much more of it, otherwise getting the strawhats back would take even longer :(

Razh
May 04, 2010, 04:42 PM
We had already plenty aftermath of the battle scenes as far as I remember. Not the ones you are all waiting for showing the Whitebeard pirates and Marine HQ, but all around the world in exchange and I don't think we will see much more of it, otherwise getting the strawhats back would take even longer :(

We haven't seen shit. What, we saw Sengoku talking about Magellan, we saw Whitebeard's island being taken, we saw one pirate ship pillaging some town and we saw Moria getting killed. If that's plenty, then I'm Pandaman.

We haven't seen what Gorosei have to say about all of that, we haven't seen the consequences of Shabondy, we haven't seen anything about Revolutionaries making a move (yeah, we saw something on Robin's cover story but that's nothing), Dragon, we haven't seen some other important characters commenting on the situation, we haven't seen raises in bounty, and finally, yeah, we haven't seen Strawhats and their reactions to all that has happened.

I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting some other stuff.

Minato-sama
May 04, 2010, 04:49 PM
How was rasing luffy before Dadan?. Luffy was 7 when he met her. His grandfather not always around only come by when he on vacation. The mayor and bartender doesn't act like a parent/guardian figure. His mother raising him seem impossible.

Akainu
May 04, 2010, 05:02 PM
and you want that all crammed into a few chapters like the flashback now instead of enjoying this new era unfolding in the years to come? that seriously baffles me, since most of what you described is stuff I would want almost an own arc for.
also Gorosei were imo hinted at when Moria got 'killed' (off screen death are always a little uncertain).
Sabaody and bountyraises will both happen with Strawhats reunited, Dragon and the revolutionaries were not part of this saga other than Oda preparing some nice stuff with Kuma and Robin, so there will be something big sooner or later - I'd like the first option more since Dragon talked about a meeting ages ago =D
well yh, but I hope you catch my drift here, the flashback is something important, even if far less awesome than the war, but that cesura had to come and waht follows can only be better.
On another note, that kind of terminal near Fuschia was somewhat unexpected, no?

k-dom
May 04, 2010, 05:04 PM
Yes I'm expecting more about Dadan, if Garp trust her there is a reason. She may have been one of the most expected character beside Akainu or Jinbei.
And Luffy cannot have a lower Flashback than his nakama. Even if it will be difficult to reach Robin's or Brook's ones emotionnaly.
Also Most of them have been put before crucial moment it is just that most of us didn't have to wait week after week before reading next chapter

Ex-Shadow
May 04, 2010, 05:25 PM
-Make me very curious how they got along so well afterwards.
-I dunno if it just me, but it seems like that Luffy couldn't stretch his body in this flashback, this arc is supposed to happen after Luffy met Shanks, right?
-If there's a place like that, how come Dadan and even Garp didn't notice, eh?

Razh
May 04, 2010, 05:51 PM
and you want that all crammed into a few chapters like the flashback now instead of enjoying this new era unfolding in the years to come? that seriously baffles me, since most of what you described is stuff I would want almost an own arc for.

Now, now, that's not what I wrote. You were the one that implied that we got an aftermath of the battle, and that wasn't even half of it.
I hoped to see more of it, but since we got this flashback now, might as well enjoy it. As I said earlier, the story won't run away anywhere. And I'm pretty sure this flashback will contain more than we expect.

On another note, that kind of terminal near Fuschia was somewhat unexpected, no?

Especially since it's filled with some seemingly high tech stuff. High as in high for an era were ships use sails. Parts of some metal construction, then there's some cabin with windows on the left, and let's not forget a gigantic wheel thing that dominates the middle (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/583/10-11/).

topkomputer
May 04, 2010, 07:34 PM
-If there's a place like that, how come Dadan and even Garp didn't notice, eh?

You mean the place where Sabo and Ace hid their treasure? Garp probably not coming too much to that area, he probably not noticing. Dadan probably know, but she is busy cleaning, what supposed to be Luffy's job :)

Aikidoka
May 04, 2010, 07:36 PM
Damn, this chapter reminded me just how evil Ace used to be...a little kid pushing another kid off a bridge to (IHO) certain death? Kind of scary how Ace could've turned out to be some kind of psychopath if things were different.

BlackHair
May 04, 2010, 08:15 PM
How could you possibly know this flashback won't have value? You don't know what's going to happen. "It has no value for me" That's how I actually wanted to write in my post earlier.

This flashback is about Luffy's and Ace's relationship. To deepen Ace's role in the story. That's at least how I see it. Not to mention that it seems to be predictable. This flashback probably won't solve any unanswered question (anymore) also it is plot-wise not needed. Simply said, for me a flashback isn't only about emotionality and character development. I expect more. (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1900401#post1900401)

Ace is a dead character, to which I lost all my interest during the war arc. So this flashback is nothing more than boring to me. Still I seriously hope that Oda proves me wrong and pulls something unpredictable which is related to the plot. Would be rly awesome.

I mean, while you're at it, why don't you go ahead and complain about how disappointed you are with movie 11?Even if you are trying to be funny here, let me still answer on that: I would never complain about filler. Since I have no expectations from them the very beginning. Also I rarely watch amines (FMA, FT and Bleach atm) and if I follow a series I will always skip filler. OP anime sucks big time, since they destroy with their ugly drawing style always the epic scenes. While FT, FMA and Bleach are doing good work with their drawing style. Especially Bleach with their fighting scenes, rly enjoyable.

SilversDKRayleigh
May 04, 2010, 08:23 PM
Damn, this chapter reminded me just how evil Ace used to be...a little kid pushing another kid off a bridge to (IHO) certain death? Kind of scary how Ace could've turned out to be some kind of psychopath if things were different.

It just goes to show that luffy can change anybody.

GoTx2
May 04, 2010, 08:43 PM

It certainly seems that he was evil as a kid, but for some reason I can't help but think of how much stronger Luffy would have had to become to progress further along the path Ace was taking on each attempt he made. I know I'm just being unreasonably optimistic about Ace here, but it almost seems possible that he was taking that path knowing that Luffy would follow him in an attempt to make him stronger for whatever reason.

Poneglyph420
May 04, 2010, 10:14 PM
I'm not sure that Ace was so much evil as a kid, but perhaps more so tormented. At least that's how I see it.. Seems like Ace always was conflicted with his blood and his ties to those close to him.... I'm really excited to see what role Sabo will play in the saving of Luffy and further bonding of Ace and Luffy.. For sure at the moment it seems like Sabo and Ace are peers, and Luffy is vying for acceptance...
I wonder if Sabo will somehow sacrifice himself for Ace, or hopefully something more shocking....

I'm really glad that we are seeing more about Ace and Luffy.. Not only does it fit for Luffy's healing process, but IMO it's vital that we see how Ace and Luffy bonded and became brothers, rather than just take it on face value.
However I do want my SH.. (I want my MTV reference for those of you born in the 90's)