PDA

View Full Version : Theory Luffy, powerups and the end of One Piece

NoLimit89
April 26, 2010, 07:45 AM
I am a little dissatisfied with Luffy's character developement at the moment. We've seen the gap between Luffy and the world's best but Luffy haven't shown us anything new for awhile now. I am worried that with the current trend in terms of themes, Luffy may NOT end up as the strongest at the end of the series. I am worried that Oda will go for the whole Luffy will depend on the allies that he've made to beat the final bad guy. That to me would be a giant cop out.

So how much powerups does Luffy need to be considered the strongest? How long is this powerup process gonna take without it being ridiculously fast and inconsistent like in Naruto or Bleach?

chess4
April 26, 2010, 08:12 AM
I am a little dissatisfied with Luffy's character developement at the moment. We've seen the gap between Luffy and the world's best but Luffy haven't shown us anything new for awhile now. I am worried that with the current trend in terms of themes, Luffy may NOT end up as the strongest at the end of the series. I am worried that Oda will go for the whole Luffy will depend on the allies that he've made to beat the final bad guy. That to me would be a giant cop out.

So how much powerups does Luffy need to be considered the strongest? How long is this powerup process gonna take without it being ridiculously fast and inconsistent like in Naruto or Bleach?

luffy hasnt gotten a powerup but we know what it will be. he has kings haki and it has used it a couple of times unknowingly. i think boa will help him to understand it a bit, and he will be able to use it a bit or in short spurts.

the last time the strawhats got "powerups" was ennies lobby. im sure we they get back together they will have something new

NoLimit89
April 27, 2010, 11:28 PM
The thing is with King's haki, we've only seen how it can knock out fodders and touch logias. There's nothing especially special? I want to see some awesome new techniques. Without new techniques, the fights just seems repetitive now.

Furthermore, how are we gonna see Luffy grow? The pace seems pretty slow atm and we're already over 550 + chapters in. However, there's also the danger of if the pace is too fast, it would be less credible.

Kaiser Will
April 29, 2010, 11:07 PM
Even thought I didn't like the idea of you comparing OP to others mangas, taking that aside, you seem to misunderstanding something, and, a thing that it's what makes OP the best.
Luffy is his own way always managed to beat the enemy, regardless of the level power, this was first shown in his fight against Crocodile, after he was beaten up waiting for his death, we just think there's no way he can win, and in the end he won.
OP doesn't have that crap training thing that miraculous gave him a new power that he can beat the boss.
When Luffy encounter some obstacle that he can't handle with his own power, an example is when he fought Aokiji, then he created the gears, so that he can protect his friends, in this point Luffy emerge as the best shonen character in all time, IMHO, he always deal with this kinda situation with a open heart and a smile in his face. Although this time the situation was a bit to rough for him, to see his brother killed in front of his eyes was a complete shock for him.
What I am saying is when he face a new oponent Luffy will be aware of a brand new technique, I think it's Haki, but who knows, and someone will help him a little bit and that what it is.

kkck
April 29, 2010, 11:55 PM
I just had a thought. Gear two uses luffy's own body energy to accelerate luffy. What if luffy combines the principle behind gear two with haki? He'd consume haki at a great rate to increase his own speed and power. It'd give him the same benefits as gear 2 but also won't hurt his body.

Immo
April 30, 2010, 12:00 AM
After war all I can say is that gap between Luffy and rest (not counting WB) isn't that high. Luffy has kings haki, and when he gets full control of it he is gonna be on top. Don't think he will ever get speed of Kizaru, but he has potential to be one of most agile characters in manga. Crocodile showed us that he isn't weekling, and Luffy won with water. Water vs Croc is like King Haki vs any Logia. And now, that Ace is dead, and Luffy realized that his strength isn't enough to save his brother, and his nakama, he got best motivation he could, to get stronger. I think he will learn soon how to control Haki, and he is almost Admiral lvl instantly.

kkck
April 30, 2010, 12:05 AM
After war all I can say is that gap between Luffy and rest (not counting WB) isn't that high. Luffy has kings haki, and when he gets full control of it he is gonna be on top. Don't think he will ever get speed of Kizaru, but he has potential to be one of most agile characters in manga. Crocodile showed us that he isn't weekling, and Luffy won with water. Water vs Croc is like King Haki vs any Logia. And now, that Ace is dead, and Luffy realized that his strength isn't enough to save his brother, and his nakama, he got best motivation he could, to get stronger. I think he will learn soon how to control Haki, and he is almost Admiral lvl instantly.

I don't think just mastering kings haki will be something that immediatly places luffy at the top. Surely he has quite a bit of it but learning how to use it is merely a small step into the real world for the kid. Even then, truly mastering his haki might take years. Also, while I do think crocodile is significantly stronger than what people say he is, I do not think fights against any logia will be same as water vs croc once luffy can control his haki. Once luffy is finally able to make contact with logias he won't immediatly win, this will simply mean luffy actually has a chance in hell of fighting back. For instance, luffy being able to hit the admirals does not mean he will actually stand a chance, as he is any of them would still have an easy victory on him.

Zeltrax
April 30, 2010, 12:19 AM
I'm getting sick of him spamming gear second too
but don't worry, leave it to Oda!
He's going to make sure that luffy won't be a weakling when he's in the new world.
we're going to see a powerup soon!

Shisu
April 30, 2010, 12:39 AM
I'm getting sick of him spamming gear second too
but don't worry, leave it to Oda!
He's going to make sure that luffy won't be a weakling when he's in the new world.
we're going to see a powerup soon!

Haki-aura. Haki-sensor. Haki-imbued moves.

I would love to see Luffy like that. :p

DLord.Van.Buuren
May 05, 2010, 06:46 AM
Haki-aura. Haki-sensor. Haki-imbued moves.

I would love to see Luffy like that. :p

i'd agree on knocking fodders out its too much fun to see , kings haki will prolly only boost his attacks .

kangclaw
May 08, 2010, 11:44 AM
True there is a huge gap between Luffy and top fighters of the WG and the pirates.
The Gears were in sufficient to defeat people like Aokiji and the Admirals.

What I am about to write is pure speculation.
In One Piece the word Haki is used more than one way one: there is Haki (the word) and there is 'Haki'. The first is a word that means spirit, ambition will power? And the second is a Power called Haki (with the same translation as spirit, ambition will power etc..). You could say that everyone has Haki the word (everyone has spirit, or ambition of some sort); but, not everyone has the Power called Haki and its various types.

Haki is a mystery; we don't know much about Haki, per se, except some examples of it's use by various people. We saw examples of what Rayleigh did with Haki: Rayleigh, an 'old man' (lol..), fought with Kiazru, an Admiral of Marine HQ, who ate the Light Light fruit? He also broke the mermaids collar with his hands. Obviously Rayleigh isn't just any old man but still he showed examples.

Whatever it is it is implied that Haki is a great power; especially the Emperor's Haki the Haki of the those that stand above others. Haki seems like the Ultimate Power type. So when Luffy does eventually master it it will help him to defeat much stronger opponents. It seems, the most obvious power-up for Luffy will likely be Haki (I hope it is not yet).

I am hoping for other techniques and abilities other than just Gear 2 and 3 and Haki. Luffy has been spamming the Gears too much and also those techniques are actually bad for him. It is a bit painful to compare Luffy's Df with some of the other Dfs out there e.g., Logia, Kuma's etc...

Maybe a level up of his Devil Powers? Someone wrote that Oda said somewhere to wait for Vegapunk, as we will find out more about DFs then.

To summarize, Luffy has the potentially the most powerful Power and that is the King or Emperor's Haki. I hope he doesn't master it anytime soon, its too early for him to reach the top of his ability. Haki seems like the Ultimate Power, I am afraid that If he masters it too soon Oda may make him loose against strong opponents and make Haki seem like a weak Power (when it is a good idea for the Ultimate Power). I think he will begin to learn Haki but not master it. I also think that he will be getting power ups in other ways as well, he could also learn to fight from Jimbei (Jimbei looks like the 'Dojo' Sensei type of character). I am sure Oda has some decent ideas to level up Luffy. I think eventually Luffy will be the strongest and by then he will have mastered the use of Haki.

triggerman
May 12, 2010, 02:53 AM
The thing is with King's haki, we've only seen how it can knock out fodders and touch logias. There's nothing especially special? I want to see some awesome new techniques. Without new techniques, the fights just seems repetitive now.

Furthermore, how are we gonna see Luffy grow? The pace seems pretty slow atm and we're already over 550 + chapters in. However, there's also the danger of if the pace is too fast, it would be less credible.

How can you say the Haki is not a big deal, or not anything special? I think that if Luffy could actually hit those damn Logia types on a regular basis, by learning to control his Haki, he would not have been as far out of his league as he seemed. Like you can't hurt what you can't touch. You see what he did to Garp, I know Garp was not deafeated by a long shot, no way I am trying to say that, but Luffy was able to land a good enough blow to Garp and knock him clear out the way. I don't think Garp would not have hit Luffy if Luffy had not one up'ed him on speed. If Luffy could touch a logia type he could go at them guys or a fair enough level. So that is why the Haki is crucial, he needs to learn that joint quick

To get a little more on topic, I think tha next progression is is to some how make himself super dense or super light. Don't ask why, just have a feeling. If he can go super dense, and make his rubber some how strong as steel or something that would help him sure up his defense and offense, and that glearing weakness of gettting cut. Then on the other side maybe some how suoper light could enable him to fly??? I don't know lol.

LeKuaSimi
May 12, 2010, 03:38 AM
you mean fuusen and tekai?

krishnateja101
April 29, 2013, 11:05 AM
Guys!!!
Don't worry Luffys definitely gonna get power up....Apart from haki,...Now according my guess he's gonna eat Ace's devil fruit after beating Doflamingo....Don't worry Oda's gonna make it up...:super:super

kkck
April 29, 2013, 03:24 PM
Well, to be honest I don't think luffy stands a chance in a straight fight against the likes of an admiral just yet. It is true we have not actually seen him fight at full power (hodi was cannon fodder and ceasar is not really a fighter) however what we have seen does not suggest he has that caliber just yet. Smoker is pretty strong and he got his ass handed to him by doflamingo rather easily and I doubt vergo is that high in the power ranks even among VAs and he did give smoker and law a decent bit of trouble. I guess we will find out only when the strawhats stop fighting fodder though. Perhaps it will turn out that luffy, zoro and sanji actually far exceed the level they have shown so far. Sanji has used diable jambe but only in its most basic form and zoro has won his fights without asura.