PDA

View Full Version : Review Bleach 252 Review By Gigantor21

gigantor21
November 17, 2006, 07:00 PM
(I scanslated this week’s chapter, albeit not that well. It’s up on the R/T/S thread.)

252. Rebut to The Baron’s Lecture

This weeks’ chapter was more compelling plot-wise, as it distances Nell from the “Arrancar version of Ganjyu/Hanatarou” role she’s been in ever since the current arc started. Nell’s ability to block, swallow and return an Espada’s Cero was the first real surprise that I’ve seen in a chapter of Bleach in weeks, and it was damn refreshing.

There were also a few genuinely hilarious moments, especially in the dialogue between Renji and Dondochakka. I think that it’s mostly because it’s almost impossible to take Dondochizzle seriously at all. I mean, he does look like a giant kid in a REALLY bad Halloween costume. Couple that with his neurosis, and it’s hard not to laugh at him—but the fact that Kubo can get us not to, even for a second, is just indicative of his storytelling skill.

The foreshadowing, along with Nell’s unexpected rescue, made the arc more interesting but not the Ichigo-Doldooni fight. It still feels like its being stretched to me, but I think it’s due to the fact that Ichigo’s “HASSAN CHOP!!” fighting style is getting dull. I want to see him fight more cerebrally, in order to compensate for the fact that he can’t use his reiatsu (and speed in Bankai) to overwhelm all his opponents…not yet at least.

I want to see who everyone else is fighting next week. Specifically, I want an update on what Rukia is doing right now, as we haven’t seen her at all in a whole month. And while I don’t expect to see it next week, I would like an update on what the Vaizards are planning on doing, as Kubo has been rather dodgy about that since we were first introduced to them, like, almost a year ago.

Rating: 3.5/5

Nell, Dondochakka and Renji made this chapter more fun to read, and more important, than last week’s chapter. But Nell’s “Badass Level-Up” isn’t making Ichigo’s fight with Doldooni much more interesting.

Athena
November 19, 2006, 06:47 PM
The only question I have is what is your Rating based on? Giving this chapter 3/5 out of 5 is neither reasonable nor fair by any standards. The Nell’s Surprise move, Ichigo's Bankai and all the color pages in the beginning ask for a higher rating, way way higher than this. How did you come up with 3/5?

gigantor21
November 22, 2006, 09:33 AM
The only question I have is what is your Rating based on? Giving this chapter 3/5 out of 5 is neither reasonable nor fair by any standards. The Nell’s Surprise move, Ichigo's Bankai and all the color pages in the beginning ask for a higher rating, way way higher than this. How did you come up with 3/5?

Well, that's the thing--I'm not trying to monopolize other people's opinions on the chapters with my reviews or anything. It's perfectly fine if you think that it should be rated higher. There have been plenty of times where I've disagreed with a critic's opinions, myself...

But, yeah, none of those things really made it much more exiting for me than the last chapter did. I like color pages, but they don't have any bearing on how I judge the chapter if I'm reviewing it. Seeing Nell rebound Doldooni's Cero was both hilarious and surprising, but in relation to the way the current fight has been going so far, and how Ichigo is fighting it, it doesn't really change my opinion much. And Ichigo is supposed to be able to keep up with Byakuya when he's in Bankai, so that wasn't anything new to me either.

I try to be as objective as I can, but I can't really change how I feel about the chapter.

EDIT: Wait, wait--did you think I gave it "3/5" as in less than 1 out of 5? Because I meant 3 and 1/2 out of 5, if that's the case.[br]Posted on: November 19, 2006, 07:42:52 PM_________________________________________________Sorry for the double post, but I was just wondering--and I don't want to make a new thread about it...

How much do the color pages affect how you view the chapters as a whole? Because the only time that I was really impressed by color was in "Black Moon Rising", since making the whole chapter color added to the gravity of the chapter itself.

mugen
November 25, 2006, 10:50 PM
good comment could you do it with Pictures next time though if you want that is.
I agree with you on the rating very much lately it's been real dull.
Anyways how come you did'nt do one for 253?

gigantor21
November 26, 2006, 07:14 PM
good comment could you do it with Pictures next time though if you want that is.
I agree with you on the rating very much lately it's been real dull.
Anyways how come you didn't do one for 253?

No, no pictures. I just want to focus on the writing part, since I couldn't incorporate pictures in as seamlessly as GK does.

I think this arc has been pretty boring, too. We haven't really seen anything profound in terms of either plot or character development besides Nell's "Gorge 'N Barf" defense--and even that seems pretty random. I want to see something more.

As to why I haven't done 253's review yet, I've had a cold since last Tuesday that just broke and haven't had the energy to either read all the different scanslations or do my own--and I have to do one of those things to write the review. I'll try and get it done by tomorrow.

mugen
November 26, 2006, 07:18 PM
Okay then I'll just wait hopefully Bleach wil start getting good again perhaps some Byakuya or, Kisuke time I really do hope he comes and helps their asses out.

gigantor21
November 26, 2006, 07:40 PM
Okay then I'll just wait hopefully Bleach wil start getting good again perhaps some Byakuya or, Kisuke time I really do hope he comes and helps their asses out.

Me, too. We can't really do much else...and I'd like to see what Kisuke is working on right now. He alluded to something right after Ichigo and Co. left.

Actually, I think I'll start the review now.