PDA

View Full Version : Chapter One Piece 588 Discussion / 589 Prediction

Pages : [1] 2

vintagemistakes
June 02, 2010, 03:26 PM
If you haven't seen the goodies yet, you can check them out in the Spoiler Pics and Summaries thread (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61568) This is where you can discuss all about them. But remember no spamming.

Please remember: NO SPOILERS OUTSIDE THE SPOILER THREADS. This rule will be strictly enforced. Please respect those that don't want to be spoiled. Thanks :)

The chapter is out, grab it here (http://mangahelpers.com/m/one-piece/chapters/588) !

Sad news is, there won't be a chapter for us next week (starting monday 14th), so why don't you reread some old chapters or discover new manga? ;)

shouryuujo
June 08, 2010, 11:11 PM
hope sabo doesnt die.. maybe Dragon saves him and we see him join the Rmy?

KalelDaNinja11
June 08, 2010, 11:17 PM
i love oda's story-telling but im really anxious for this flashback to end.

Ero-Sanji
June 08, 2010, 11:17 PM
I also hope that he doesn't die, I want this flashback to have all it's major characters surviving it.

deffkryz
June 08, 2010, 11:21 PM
Sabo's as good as dead... The Tenryuubito on board sinks his ship him-fucking-self...

But I'm glad to see that Dadan's still alive. Ace carries her back...

Lyn685
June 08, 2010, 11:21 PM
Come on Sabo, don't let yourself get killed by such an itsy bitsy explosion!

sioon
June 08, 2010, 11:22 PM
sabo ship destroyed

SenninSage
June 08, 2010, 11:40 PM
Omg... Sabo was literally blown out of the water by that massive ship. And I thought my day couldn't get any worse after the Celtics lost :(

My favorite player in nba history after Michael Jordan had one of the most embarrassing performances ever. Ray Allen 0=13, nothing but wide open looks. Sorry for the off topic about basketball. Still not recovered for celtic's loss.

bruticus171
June 09, 2010, 12:11 AM
Okay I am guessing that the flashback has maybe two more chapters and that will rap up everything, but still that is a long wait.

lawlord
June 09, 2010, 12:21 AM
I like the flashback to Garp talking about Roger.

How similar he was to ace. Probably that he was luckier and got through a lot of it, and Ace was still young.

:(

elitefox
June 09, 2010, 12:23 AM
Have we ever see someone died on an explosion in OP lol

no corpse, not dead...

anyways, so ace have really got his attitude from Roger

THM Nindo
June 09, 2010, 12:27 AM
So... I guess Sabo is dead then...

But, I can't shake up the feeling that there's something more to it than just that...
Why bring up that whole old story right now?

Maybe Sabo didn't die...
I dunno... I just feel that this doesn't make a lot of sense to bring this whole flashback and this Sabo character only to make him die...

k-dom
June 09, 2010, 12:27 AM
So Ace and Luffy learn from Dogura that Sabo is dead. Well there is probably 2 pages left in the chapter but it seems we won't be able to know if he really is or not.

patz
June 09, 2010, 12:39 AM
NO One Piece next week again!!! Oda, what are you doing?

k-dom
June 09, 2010, 12:40 AM
Proabably the Sabo event was decision to take his revenge later since Dadan did not let him do it as a child

junjun2
June 09, 2010, 12:43 AM
I cried.

tobeulp
June 09, 2010, 12:52 AM
I cried because no One Piece next week!

N A O
June 09, 2010, 01:02 AM
I hope Sabo is alive, because what is the meaning of Introducing him as one of the main character in this flashback if he going to die at the end like this with no sense.

c0nflikt
June 09, 2010, 01:18 AM
this whole flashback is to show how luffy already experienced a brotherly loss or establish he has another brother. we'll find out soon, oda better not have killed sabo.

1kimmywimm
June 09, 2010, 01:18 AM
as of now, i think there is definitly hope that sabo is still alive. i keep thinking about how igaram survived an explosion bigger than that so i won't be convinced until i see a body!! i agree...if sabo dies... i'm not sure what the point of this flashback would be unless in the next few chapters oda pulls something gasp worthy.

but omg this chappy is so sad...especially ace at the end... *TEARSSS*

now i'm not sure exactly how sabo would have gotten saved...something that popped into my mind... if the RA had a merman/maid in it...maybe he/she saved injured sabo. that way they would escape underwater and no one would have seen them and everyone assumed if sabo wuzn't killed by the explosion he drowned after being injured by the explosion.

but that is just a thought...i really have no idea what will happen... xD

why does the thought of SABO IS LAW keep popping into my head?!! ...cuz i know its not true..there r so many things wrong with that theory xDD

elitefox
June 09, 2010, 01:30 AM
as of now, i think there is definitly hope that sabo is still alive. i keep thinking about how igaram survived an explosion bigger than that so i won't be convinced until i see a body!! i agree...if sabo dies... i'm not sure what the point of this flashback would be unless in the next few chapters oda pulls something gasp worthy.

but omg this chappy is so sad...especially ace at the end... *TEARSSS*

now i'm not sure exactly how sabo would have gotten saved...something that popped into my mind... if the RA had a merman/maid in it...maybe he/she saved injured sabo. that way they would escape underwater and no one would have seen them and everyone assumed if sabo wuzn't killed by the explosion he drowned after being injured by the explosion.

but that is just a thought...i really have no idea what will happen... xD

why does the thought of SABO IS LAW keep popping into my head?!! ...cuz i know its not true..there r so many things wrong with that theory xDD

Law is from north blue and it is quite far away though 10 years, anything can happen. :D

or dragon saved him... he hasn't been confirmed to have a df :D

1kimmywimm
June 09, 2010, 01:37 AM
Law is from north blue and it is quite far away though 10 years, anything can happen. :D

or dragon saved him... he hasn't been confirmed to have a df :D

yea! who knows wut dragons abilities r if he has any :)

and u r so right when u say anything can happen... xDDD

i just want this flashback to be over! not cuz i don't like it...i really have enjoyed it... but i'm DYING to know wut happens with SABO...its killing me!! its gonna be hard to wait an extra week. Dx

and my brain coming up with impossible crack theories all the time is NOT HELPING

Xerous
June 09, 2010, 01:39 AM
so the flashbacks were meant to replace ace...

bittman
June 09, 2010, 01:50 AM
I have to agree with everyone saying that it's a bit anti-climactic (ok no-one has used those words, but that's what you all want to say) with Sabo just "dying" in a random explosion. But since the flashback didn't seem to reach any real closure at the end there (well, I'll still wait for a full scan to give the best guesses), it ain't over yet.

And:

I hope Sabo is alive, because what is the meaning of Introducing him as one of the main character in this flashback if he going to die at the end like this with no sense.

Yeah a lot of this going around. If you class Sabo as a main character, then let me ask you this:
What was the point of introducing Tom?
What was the point of introducing Saul?
What was the point of introducing Olivia?
What was the point of introducing Belmere?
What was the point of introducing Kuina?
What was the point of introducing Dr Higlurk?
What was the point of introducing Captain Yoki?

Etc etc etc. There would be plenty of point in introducing Sabo to liven the flashback up since, you could argue, it was because of Sabo that Ace and Luffy came together. Without Sabo, Ace may have been much darker and never accepted Luffy. Without Sabo, Ace may have never been so desperate to save their brother. A few other reasons, but I'm still waiting for the scan.

Though I expect Sabo to die, I don't think he's dead yet. Sure, we've seen some characters die in just as much an off screen fashion (Nico Olivia, Kuina, Tom and Captain Yoki), but there's always a bit of drama involved just before.

In before Oda does Sabo washing up on shore in front of the Tenryuubito or something. (But in 2 weeks! FFFFUUUUUU-)

monkey D luffy
June 09, 2010, 02:07 AM
im speechless. if only luffy knew it was a tenryubito who killed (probably) sabo he wouldve killed all 3 of them at the auction house on sight. i guess no one ever told him.
[hr]
just looked at the pic of the shooter again. that the same son of a bitch that shot hachi and got his ass handed to him by luffy. now im not setisfied with luffy's punch at all! he shouldve killed that basterd!

msg
June 09, 2010, 02:38 AM
@mdl - thats not him.I too thought it was him first but his name is reavealed -saint jalmac.
What a heart wrenching chapter.Ace cried for the first time.Now i know why Ace never retreated.I'll Hope sabo is still alive drifting on a piece of wood.Dang Oda, why make sabo scene open ended.Most likely this chapter is the end chapter of the flashback.Bah two weeks...

patz
June 09, 2010, 02:43 AM
May be a merman saved Sabo and Luffy is about to meet him in the mermaid island.

llamapie
June 09, 2010, 02:56 AM

Its simple. That was Ace's transforming moment. We are now seeing Luffy's when Ace died. :)

rickfox
June 09, 2010, 02:57 AM
May be a merman saved Sabo and Luffy is about to meet him in the mermaid island.

I think it is possible----one of many possibilities for Sabo's fate

LeDuck
June 09, 2010, 03:15 AM
Beautiful colorspread like always.

Characters in one piece have survived much more, especially explosions seem to be completely insufficient compared to bullets. There are a few things we should keep in mind:

- We didn't Sabo's corpse, only parts of his clothes.
- He was very close to the island, so you can't say for sure he drowned.
- If he would have made it to the island, Luffy and Ace would know it.

I'm going for the "he's alive and in the RA" theory, maybe he was found floating on a piece of wood by a merchant ship / Dragon or something like that.

zozo96
June 09, 2010, 03:15 AM
so the flashbacks were meant to replace ace...

That's my thought, too. I believe that Sabo somehow survived. He will be Luffy's next brother to count on. The reason why he hid himself from Luffy and Ace all these years maybe because of some important issues unknown yet.

A little off topic, I lost my faith in Sanji. Sigh...

llamapie
June 09, 2010, 03:20 AM
Ok he might be alive, but I'm thinking he isn't. Oda is trying to convey something. Ace probably received a new resolve by losing Sabo, hence we got the crying panels. The start of this arc was Luffy crying in the exact same manner for Ace. See the connection? This is to transition us into Luffy's new resolve. But the reason I really think sabo is dead is this:

booo broken picture.

See his hat floating? I usually would take that as a sign.

Razh
June 09, 2010, 03:31 AM
I saw Ace's hat lying on the ground after he fought Blackbeard. Ace turned out to be very much alive.

I guess Sabo could be alive. He could have jumped out of the ship in time, and his hat could have fallen off. I don't think we'll find it out that soon, if he survived.

ikuroi
June 09, 2010, 04:14 AM
Great chapter! I think Sabo is dead, but I hope he isn't. This has a big impact on Ace personality as we can see, I loved the last page btw.

After this flashback ends, you all should understand Ace personality better, I remember alot of people complaining that his death was stupid, and he acted like an "immature brat" (not my words, but a lot of other fellow members words).

How can you not love Ace is my question :) and Sabo of course!

Lord Rayleigh
June 09, 2010, 04:30 AM
So actually Ace fought Akainu to protect Luffy who was running away with him. Ace probably knew he could not fight against an Admiral. The difference between Ace and Roger is that the Pirate King was luckier : Luffy did not continue to flee because he was worried about Ace. If it was not for Luffy, Ace would have likely survived.

Benzino
June 09, 2010, 04:55 AM
and who do you think freed ace in first place? yes, luffy and without him ace would have died much earlier. i think sacraficing his own life for his brother is better than getting stabbed by some low marines

Ero-Sanji
June 09, 2010, 05:26 AM
and who do you think freed ace in first place? yes, luffy and without him ace would have died much earlier. i think sacraficing his own life for his brother is better than getting stabbed by some low marines

Wrong, Ace caught this mess thanks to Luffy. If Luffy didn't defeat Croc then BB wouldn't want to hand him over and in return he wouldn't have captured Ace.

Ace absorbed Luffy's consequences and I hope Luffy finally start to think about that every action has a reaction. I still don't want him to lose his recklessness though...

Anyway good character development and final chapter for Ace, Sabo better be alive and now I'm anxious to see the strawhats together.

hy4k
June 09, 2010, 05:27 AM
OMFG SABO!

oda can suck my dick. i was just gettig attached to him too :(

Benzino
June 09, 2010, 05:33 AM
Wrong, Ace caught this mess thanks to Luffy. If Luffy didn't defeat Croc then BB wouldn't want to hand him over and in return he wouldn't have captured Ace.

Ace absorbed Luffy's consequences and I hope Luffy finally start to think about that every action has a reaction. I still don't want him to lose his recklessness though...

Anyway good character development and final chapter for Ace, Sabo better be alive and now I'm anxious to see the strawhats together.

wrong, ace would have fought bb either way and get stomped! he was looking for bb

thang08
June 09, 2010, 05:39 AM

But isn't Ace vs BB fight is inevitable since BB murderred Thatch. BB tried to catch Luffy first but he flew away. The next enemy BB encountered was Ace. Since Ace never runs away from a fight, the information that expresses the idea of BB trying to catch Luffy is nothing but redundant. BB defeated Ace, it's obvious that he'd hand over Ace instead of killing him and run around to catch Luffy as well as losing the chance to lure WB into the war that may weaken him.

RezzieThaRapper
June 09, 2010, 05:42 AM
Maybe Sabo is alive but has had lifelong amnesia from this incident...

I've got a gut feeling that he's alive and we may see him after fishmen island... He may be a revolutionary, or he may be a powerful pirate... who knows

mlinko
June 09, 2010, 05:44 AM
I don't think that sabo died, we still haven't see his body. I think that this arc was a preparation for the future revolutionary arc where we will see dragon and sabo.

jojoSB
June 09, 2010, 06:19 AM

That's not correct.

Luffy's failure in rescuing Ace is solely due to his own power level issue.

Amazon's Nyon has already warned 'bout Luffy's significance and impact
amid the clash.

Ace failed and his subsequent capture rested entirely on the supreme
power BB obtained, and such a power being fallen into the hands of BB
is WB's story.

Luffy's "recklessness" is only on attempt and not on 'moral deficiency.'
The people that keep suggesting "Ace's death will risen up Luffy's
eventual behavior" are dead OFf track from OP. As if Luffy hasn't
suffered enough in this flashback?

There's also no chance for 'if Luffy didn't ---Croc.' thing here, since
'if indeed Luffy didn't -Croc.,' then what must follows is a 'so-and-so
would have suffered an entire defeat, and then such-and-such happens,
sh-t happens' and Luffy must now do this or that in order to proclaim
that he has the right to be in a position of calling out his ambition.

But what is that 'to do this or that?' This whole story, what else?

The aspect of 'fate' should already been covered prior to this flashback,
as the struggle between WB and BB is still ongoing, even with a
temporary conclusive period drawn which is WB's death and the chaos
in the New World. As if this isn't significant enough, right at this chapter
is a panel with Luffy setting up a B & W beetle wrestling;
a 'flashforward' which gladly someone posted its wiki on last ch.
discuss and have it talked about.

A funny side fact would then lead the way to this current Sabo mystery -
starting on the CS of ch.586 consistently highlights a stark contrast of
the right and wrong - left or right, and a special request from one side
bestows upon the other side. At that very the story draws in a eerie
similarity from different occasion: the question about one's birth right,
and its significance, has been repeated and are now rested on the
shoulders of our protagonist family tree - Roger to Garp, Ace to Luffy,
Sabo to Dragon.

Whee, sorry for this long post!

frontaLobotomy
June 09, 2010, 06:29 AM
An interesting chapter, Sabo's fate being up in the air is about as good as it'll get for him. Flashback characters like himself don't have a very good record in One Piece. I like what Garp was saying about Roger, and him not running away so that he could protect his crew. It made me think about Luffy during the Enies Lobby arc, where he said he wasn't willing to take his eye off of Lucci, as he knew he'd go and kill his nakama if he did.
I can't help but wonder if this trait has something to do with the Will of D. They seem prepared to stand and fight, regardless of the odds. Saul, Roger, Ace, Teach and even Luffy have all done this.

Deepak5191
June 09, 2010, 07:00 AM
I just don't see Sabo being such and important character to Ace and Luffy's lives and dying off screen (meaning away from Ace and Luffy and not having as big an impact).

I believe Sabo has some significance to the future and that hes going to be a top tier revolutionary. His boat has been shot down and the only other ship in the waters happens to be Dragon's. Sabo can be a representative for the RA to Luffy.

sarutobi_sensei
June 09, 2010, 07:07 AM
So, did he die and is this the end of the flashback? It seems this way.

Whenever Oda wants to change subjects he gives a week pause :\

CBlitz
June 09, 2010, 07:14 AM
kinda sad it ended like this, but you could see it coming from a mile away. Well all the more reason for Luffy to challenge the World Government and the Celestial Dragons. If this is the end of the flashback, I wonder where things will go from here...

panasit
June 09, 2010, 07:23 AM
St. Jalmac. We'll see that bastard again. And he will die. Slowly.

lawlord
June 09, 2010, 07:47 AM
if he did survive, why not contact Ace or Luffy?

I can't see him living because of this reason.

panasit
June 09, 2010, 08:37 AM
I agree. I think it's obvious his dream is to become a pirate. If he is a pirate, Ace should run into him by now since he ran into both Shank and Whitebeard.

But his death in this chapter is kind of anti-climatic. Make me think it's not serious. Even the Galley-La and Franky's group member getting shot by a cannon get a double page spread. And it wasn't until several chapters later we find out they are still alive.

kangclaw
June 09, 2010, 08:52 AM
St. Jalmac. We'll see that bastard again. And he will die. Slowly.
Wow, a heart wrenching chapter, I felt that I wanted the B300,000,000 Luffy to destroy Jalmac and his ship.
Yeah I have to agree that Jalmac needs to die and die very painfully and slowly.lol

It is very likely that Sabo is actually dead, if we look at things from the surface evidence. It is also likely that from the information Ace and Luffy believe that Sabo is dead and that Sabo maybe alive; because, so far there has been no body.

Is there a possibility that Sabo may appear in the future?
May be, Oda is left with the option bring Sabo back.
It is also likely that Sabo is really dead.

From the overall story I get the feeling that Sabo is really dead; but I hope that Luffy will meet up with him in the future.

THM Nindo
June 09, 2010, 08:53 AM
Maybe Oda is sensitive when it comes to killing children, so he didn' want to make to much emphasis on it, who knows.

I guess he's dead, that would explain a lot of things, but somehow, I feel that introducing Sabo only to kill him 4 chapters later is kinda... I dunno...

I'm kinda hoping he's alive.

johnnyb7
June 09, 2010, 09:08 AM
Yeah too bad Sabo died, but it was predictable. I don't know what the point in introducing him was only to kill him so soon afterwards was though.... maybe this'll go on for a couple more chapters and we'll see how Ace gets his powers.

Marche
June 09, 2010, 09:15 AM
Wow, a heart wrenching chapter, I felt that I wanted the B300,000,000 Luffy to destroy Jalmac and his ship.
Yeah I have to agree that Jalmac needs to die and die very painfully and slowly.lol

It is very likely that Sabo is actually dead, if we look at things from the surface evidence. It is also likely that from the information Ace and Luffy believe that Sabo is dead and that Sabo maybe alive; because, so far there has been no body.

Is there a possibility that Sabo may appear in the future?
May be, Oda is left with the option bring Sabo back.
It is also likely that Sabo is really dead.

From the overall story I get the feeling that Sabo is really dead; but I hope that Luffy will meet up with him in the future.Ehi, Imaginated if this "Jalmac" was the one who have Hancock and her sister (If they were once his former slaves).
I hope/think than for some reason Rufy will know than the one who killed Saboo was a Tenryuubito, I think from Garp (If he will wait Rufy to Shabondy, if he want to be sure than Rufy is safe but also for say to him what he said to Ace's body) or Dragon/Iva (if one of them know that incident, if they will tell him than they have known Saboo).
Anyways I don't think more than Saboo has survived (also after the last chapters, also for the possibility weren't high, there was a change, thanks to Dragon (also if I believe than Dragon and the revolutionary were gone definetely), also if I was sure than Rufy and Ace believed that He was dead), also because of Saboo's hat.
I was also sure than the promise of "live without regrets" was for Saboo, because they regret something about him (now we can say than was fact that they had not take him back).
I also think than Ace will say that they must make true their dreams, also for Saboo, and that Saboo is still alive within them (after than Rufy will remember this (perhaps after the lastest word of Ace, the fact that He is sure than Rufy will be the next "PK") the flashback will end (but before I think than Rufy will know of "Ace-Roger bond", because Ace will tell him the truth, of thanks to Dadan)).

I am really happy of Dadan's flashback regarding the conversation with Garp, about the fact that Roger and Ace were really alike.
In fact this is the my greatest disappointment in Ace's death, the fact that He is dead without knowing the truth about Roger, the fact that his father was like him and Rufy (specially as Rufy).
Anyways great the also when Ace after read the letter, cry for Saboo.

zerocooldx
June 09, 2010, 09:43 AM
Roger seems to have been a lot like Luffy when it comes to his friends.

zimzumzerito
June 09, 2010, 09:43 AM
maybe sabo lost his memory on this incident, and this can explain why he doesn't go for ace and luffy.

Bonfire01
June 09, 2010, 09:54 AM
Assuming the spoilers are correct I think it's still possible that Sabo is picked up by Dragon and the RA. It's about the best way I can think of to have him alive and explain why he hasn't contacted Luffy or Ace (because of his RA activities). I also get what people are saying about Sabo really wanting to be a pirate rather than a revolutionary BUT at that point he wouldn't have even known being a revolutionary was an option (since the RA didn't really exist).

I think the overriding part of Sabo's character is hating the nobles who run Goa, especially after the fire and he saw being a pirate as his only option, when in fact being part of the RA fits him better. Alternatively the Tenryubito might have hauled him aboard and made him a slave.... not sure I like that idea as much though.

I reckon that when luffy finally bumps into Dragon we'll see Sabo again and we'll all be talking about Oda's brilliant foreshadowing again :). I just don't see Oda introducing then eliminating a character so wastefully, not really his style. After all, Sabo only has to do what Mr 2 did and survive a sinking ship :).

samuraijacken
June 09, 2010, 10:01 AM
hi im new with MH forums and the posting thing but ive been a one piece fan for a while...

maybe sabo lost his memory on this incident, and this can explain why he doesn't go for ace and luffy.

you know what? that actually make sense...well a crazy thought just came up from this..could smoker be sabo? well its just a thought..maybe right hahah

cheers

Me2Ecchi
June 09, 2010, 10:25 AM
hi im new with MH forums and the posting thing but ive been a one piece fan for a while...

you know what? that actually make sense...well a crazy thought just came up from this..could smoker be sabo? well its just a thought..maybe right hahah

cheers

Thtats impossible. Smoker was a kid with the same age as ace/luffy when roger was executed.

patz
June 09, 2010, 10:48 AM
I start to think think when Luffy said Ace was the only brother he had. He thought that Sabo was already gone.

I bet Sabo is still alive and kicking. Pell survived the bomb after all.

luffy_boy
June 09, 2010, 10:50 AM
I hope sabo still lives, he could be a interesting character later on..

SenninSage
June 09, 2010, 10:52 AM
Isn't it obvious people?

Sabo is 100% not dead! Last night I was thinking he was, but it's obvious he isn't. What did we learn about Ace, prior to the flashback and during the flashback?

What did we learn about Luffy, prior to the flash and during the flashback?

We learned that the two of them are some tough son of a guns. In fact, both Ace and Sabo were tougher that Luffy was. It'll take more than a shot up ship to take a kid like him down. Look at what Ace managed to survive with Dadan? He came back seemingly carrying her on his back. Sabo isn't dead folks, remember I said this.

These guys are use to being in insane amounts of danger. These kids use to fight bandits and deal with dangerous creatures in the forest on a consistent basis. Just as a simple shooting of a ship wouldn't take down ace, or Luffy, it's ridiculous to think that such a thing could take Sabo down.

Let's give Sabo more credit than that guys!

roku-sky
June 09, 2010, 11:09 AM
I seriously don't think Sabo is dead - after all that development, and he just croaks in a tiny little panel? Rule #1 in Shonen comics is if you don't see a corpse the guy is probably not dead.

I'll bet he'll come back when he hears Ace is dead and strongly laments he didn't have the chance to save/meet him. He's probably in the New World.

Rotten The Wizard
June 09, 2010, 11:10 AM
Isn't it obvious people?

Sabo is 100% not dead! Last night I was thinking he was, but it's obvious he isn't. What did we learn about Ace, prior to the flashback and during the flashback?

What did we learn about Luffy, prior to the flash and during the flashback?

We learned that the two of them are some tough son of a guns. In fact, both Ace and Sabo were tougher that Luffy was. It'll take more than a shot up ship to take a kid like him down. Look at what Ace managed to survive with Dadan? He came back seemingly carrying her on his back. Sabo isn't dead folks, remember I said this.

These guys are use to being in insane amounts of danger. These kids use to fight bandits and deal with dangerous creatures in the forest on a consistent basis. Just as a simple shooting of a ship wouldn't take down ace, or Luffy, it's ridiculous to think that such a thing could take Sabo down.

Let's give Sabo more credit than that guys!

you make a good point BUT his death would benefit the story....Luffy being the only one left of the three....

and theres still the fact that Ace became a world class pirate yet sabo never sought him out. doesnt make sense

CBlitz
June 09, 2010, 11:15 AM
Sabo might have a good reason...but I can't think of one >.>

we'll see soon enough but I do agree that killing off Sabo here would seem like a waste of the development Oda gave him

patz
June 09, 2010, 11:20 AM
you make a good point BUT his death would benefit the story....Luffy being the only one left of the three....

and theres still the fact that Ace became a world class pirate yet sabo never sought him out. doesnt make sense
May be Sabo is with Dragon so he can't really go out to find Ace.

senewe
June 09, 2010, 11:25 AM
Sabo is alive. Franky survived from 1.5 Mach train... Pell is still on-air until now... not to mention about Roger vs Shiki

GomuGomuNo
June 09, 2010, 11:40 AM
I think after this flashback, we will see ruffy is going to give up, a great depression. but suddenly he meets sabo (don't know how, maybe RA) and this gives ruffy a new spirit!

mlinko
June 09, 2010, 11:51 AM
Oda didn't use all this chapters to introduce Sabo and develop his character just to kill him in the last chapter of this arc. In the end I think this arc was just for introducing Sabo

gold349
June 09, 2010, 11:53 AM
I too was sure/had thought sabo would die here at the hands of World nobles...now its become an uncertainty...his boat was destroyed but he could have got out...Ace is gone now, to have another brother out there for luffy with the promise to meet, it would be great if that was to happen.

deffkryz
June 09, 2010, 11:53 AM
Guys... What have we seen... Tenryuubito blows up Sabo's ship, moments before he looked shocked, his hat flies away, his flag burns, and Dogura witnesses his death, Ace and Luffy both cried while Ace was going to rampage and try to avenge Sabo at once. Luffy totally behaved differently from when he though Ace would have died in the flames. We know Sabo didn't possess any DF power like Peru or Buggy nor any haki ability (He wasn't hearing things, he wasn't knocking out others unconscious, he wasn't strengthen his attacks).

If Sabo is going to live after this chapter - seriously - any death in One Piece would be extremely ridiculous, especially Ace's. Then you can even say that Robin isn't the last citizen of Ohara since Sakazuki's attack did nothing to them but their ship being torn apart - or that at least Clover and Olvia survived the Buster Call. And Sabo had an even lower conception than both of them.

On the other hand <sarcasm>Vegapunk might turn him into Pacifista v0.1 and of course his personalities just split up into different bodies and travelled through time so he actually is half of all characters we've seen so far - esp. Law, Smoker, Kid, Zoro, the revolutionist that Robin met and still Sabo himself.</sarcasm> :notrust

It's nice to have theories and ideas, but from Ace's and Whitebeard's death on you just cannot rely on characters surviving huge explosions and impacts anymore especially when we're talking about a kid of 10 years.

Super Angillis
June 09, 2010, 11:56 AM
I'm not sure what to think. Is Sabo alive or dead? I DON"T KNOW! If he does show up alive, though I kinda see him trying to avoid Luffy out of shame that he wasn't able to help Ace at all.

mlinko
June 09, 2010, 11:59 AM
Guys... What have we seen... Tenryuubito blows up Sabo's ship, moments before he looked shocked, his hat flies away, his flag burns, and Dogura witnesses his death, Ace and Luffy both cried while Ace was going to rampage and try to avenge Sabo at once. Luffy totally behaved differently from when he though Ace would have died in the flames. We know Sabo didn't possess any DF power like Peru or Buggy nor any haki ability (He wasn't hearing things, he wasn't knocking out others unconscious, he wasn't strengthen his attacks).

If Sabo is going to live after this chapter - seriously - any death in One Piece would be extremely ridiculous, especially Ace's. Then you can even say that Robin isn't the last citizen of Ohara since Sakazuki's attack did nothing to them but their ship being torn apart - or that at least Clover and Olvia survived the Buster Call. And Sabo had an even lower conception than both of them.

On the other hand <sarcasm>Vegapunk might turn him into Pacifista v0.1 and of course his personalities just split up into different bodies and travelled through time so he actually is half of all characters we've seen so far - esp. Law, Smoker, Kid, Zoro, the revolutionist that Robin met and still Sabo himself.</sarcasm> :notrust

It's nice to have theories and ideas, but from Ace's and Whitebeard's death on you just cannot rely on characters surviving huge explosions and impacts anymore especially when we're talking about a kid of 10 years.

Yeah, that kid beat the grown up PIRATES that can fight. He even defeated Ace and Luffy in a fight

deffkryz
June 09, 2010, 12:03 PM
Yeah, that kid beat the grown up PIRATES that can fight. He even defeated Ace and Luffy in a fight

He asssisted Ace in beating up weakling Polchemy who didn't manage to break Luffy's will. And before that he beat up some Pirates that were even weaker. So? Beating up weaklings is no sign of "he's gonna survive an explosion close to his body".

BTW: Kuina who managed to beat most of her father's dojo died from falling down the stairs...

Zojo
June 09, 2010, 12:04 PM
Don't think of these chapters as being character development for Sabo...but for Ace and Luffy.
All the Strawhat members had flashbacks...and each had someone dear to them who died or had something taken away from them.
I think this is what this flashback is for...Mostly for Ace and needed for Luffy to dwell and draw inspiration on in the current storyline.

Vizard5
June 09, 2010, 12:07 PM
Sabo might have a good reason...but I can't think of one >.>

"When we all become freer pirates than anyone, we three brothers will meet again somewhere."

this migth be the reason. ace is known but luffy wasen't untill very lately..

szhang
June 09, 2010, 12:07 PM
the reason why sabo hasn't contacted anyof them can be the same reason why ace never contacted luffy after leaving fuschia village, firstly sabo had would had no way to know that ace and luffy thought he was dead, but most importantly, i think it was hinted that the three kids had parted ways to each individual dreams and sabo would not turn back until he realizes his dream of ridding the world of corruption. there is also the theory that sabo is a very important part of the revolutionary army and thus has been extremely secretive in terms of communication with pirates: for the safety of himself and luffy. if someone that important had contacted luffy and there connection was reported, luffy would receive unwanted attention from the WG

kkck
June 09, 2010, 12:13 PM
Somehow I don't see oda killing 2 of luffy's brothers.... I'd think sabo somehow survived. I'd love to see the kid jumping into a barrel and surviving a couple of days until he was rescued by a pirate crew...

lunarey
June 09, 2010, 12:22 PM
woot sounds like a really emotional chapter, can't wait for the scans. Luffy and Ace really do believe for a moment that Sabo's dead... then the letter which Ace reads but Luffy doesn't know about yet, Sabo actually got away from those Tenryuubito? Ace protecting Luffy meaning he really does care and worry about Luffy to bits! So Ace doesn't just go out first to pursue his own dreams, but he's also searching for Sabo out there at the same time to reunite. I do believe that Sabo is still out there! Luffy just has to find him somehow!

Just a few more hours or so for the scans >x<

luffy_boy
June 09, 2010, 12:26 PM
Don't think of these chapters as being character development for Sabo...but for Ace and Luffy.
All the Strawhat members had flashbacks...and each had someone dear to them who died or had something taken away from them.
I think this is what this flashback is for...Mostly for Ace and needed for Luffy to dwell and draw inspiration on in the current storyline.

Well it does show something about the character Sabo... he is just the same type of person as Ace and Luffy are.

zagorka
June 09, 2010, 12:27 PM
Somehow I don't see oda killing 2 of luffy's brothers....Why not? The whole reason why Oda added Roger into this chapter wasn't only to compare him to his son Ace, but to have us understand that Roger also didn't want anyone close to him dead. We can assume that Roger lost people close to him. Remind you of anyone? *Cough* Luffy *cough*... Sabo and Ace being dead is only going to give rise to a more ambitious Luffy. In another words, it helps the story and his character to grow.

kuroSaki_Ichi
June 09, 2010, 12:57 PM
I like the idea of sabo losing memory...

DLord.Van.Buuren
June 09, 2010, 01:02 PM
it seems to me that this flashback is meaninglessly long , now this is a bit unlike oda if he goes on like this i hope he sheds some light and brings up more twists because that would me make things less boring .

dikwetz
June 09, 2010, 01:09 PM
Sabo wishes he is captain of a huge ship.

It seems obvious he has survived and now owns a huge battleship. And Luffy should meet him sooner or later. I'd love Oda making him a Buggy type character, who rises over everyone in the strangest way possible.

damane08
June 09, 2010, 01:47 PM
I think Sabo is alive but that's my personal opinion.
people who say things like "If Sabo was alive he would've sought out Ace seeing as Ace had a huge bounty on his head," but come on! Luffy went out to sea and he never sought out Ace, and if Ace wasn't searching for BB he probably wouldn't have seen Luffy either. So to me that's not a valid argument.

SABO IS STILL ALIVE!! that's my personal wish.

k-dom
June 09, 2010, 01:52 PM
it seems to me that this flashback is meaninglessly long , now this is a bit unlike oda if he goes on like this i hope he sheds some light and brings up more twists because that would me make things less boring .

Robin and Skypiea flashbacks were around the same length, but maybe you felt less frustrated at the time if you read them in one shot.

I've been a bit disappointed with this chapter. The tenryubito event only last 2 pages when I was expecting that it would be the most important part of the chapter with the revelation of a new world noble.
Also Sabo death is suspicious. I don't know why, I didn't have that feeling at all with Tom or Saul death. Maybe because their was more emotion. I've read a lot of post of people feeling sad about Sabo and Ace. I didn't feel that way. That was the same when Ace died.
I was ten times less touched than when Going Merry was burned or when Chopper left Drum.

terrorei
June 09, 2010, 02:17 PM
New chapter is out!
Read or Die (http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/73205842/1)

Moogle Mango
June 09, 2010, 02:31 PM

Sabo really cared about Luffy and Ace! It was soo sad! Also sad that there won't be a one piece chapter next week!

Those celestial dragons are real asses.

Youbba
June 09, 2010, 02:33 PM
I guess the flashback is over, we'll next see the results of the war.
Besides Sabo and Dadan introduction what I liked in this flashback's chapters is that they really helped me to accept Ace's death, and this is another reason why Oda is a true master.

hellz88
June 09, 2010, 02:34 PM
SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBBBOOOOOOOO
[hr]
The last page got me.

Lord Rayleigh
June 09, 2010, 02:39 PM
if he did survive, why not contact Ace or Luffy?

I can't see him living because of this reason.

Here come some ideas.

If Sabo is a pirate, it's possible he did not come to save Ace because he's in a Yonkou's crew, that is to say Big Mom's or Kaidou's. I doubt his captain would have let him join the Whitebeard's allies.

And thus even Ace may have never seen in him in New World. Remember that the Yonkou have their own territories and that they [nearly] never see each other. When Shanks and Whitebeard's crews met, Whitebeard said he was surprised that he had grown so much, what means the last he saw him he was not a Yonkou.
The World Government was also scared because 2 members of the Yonkou met, what means it is not something that often happens.

There's still the other explanation, that he's in the Revolutionary Army and that's why he could not come.

Aikidoka
June 09, 2010, 02:45 PM
Anyone else notice that the crossed out S (http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/73205842/19) on Sabo's letter is the same one Ace has tattooed onto his shoulder (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/157/15/)? Turns out it's not a typo after all, and a memento of his best friend...

And this is just ridiculous how inhuman the Tenryuubito are. Blasting a kid, a kid for god's sake, to death, what sort of monster do you have to be to just go and do that? Wow. What assholes.

k-dom
June 09, 2010, 02:49 PM
Well the fact that the S in Ace tatoo is refering to Sabo has been said a few times already. But his sig is another point toward that direction. I hope this will be part of the flashback end in next chapter, like when we saw Robin growing up in a few pages.

hellz88
June 09, 2010, 02:49 PM
Anyone else notice that the crossed out S (http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/73205842/19) on Sabo's letter is the same one Ace has tattooed onto his shoulder (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/157/15/)? Turns out it's not a typo after all, and a memento of his best friend...

And this is just ridiculous how inhuman the Tenryuubito are. Blasting a kid, a kid for god's sake, to death, what sort of monster do you have to be to just go and do that? Wow. What assholes.

Very nice observation on the letter. I noticed that last week with Sabos jolly roger

beastboy
June 09, 2010, 02:52 PM
I think Sabo isn't dead, if he was, it would be a giant double spread with the ship exploding and the hat floating in the wind... but a tiny panel like this I kind of think he simply got away!
Maybe it will turn out has I predicted in the last thread... with one difference, Sabo will get amnesia!

CBlitz
June 09, 2010, 03:05 PM
well I don't know how Sabo would get away from being blown up along with the ship, but hey if Pell can survive a bomb explosion at point blank than I think Sabo has a decent chance of surviving. Well somehow anyway, it still wouldn't explain why he didn't seek Ace out after

luffy_boy
June 09, 2010, 03:08 PM
Now i read the chapter i must say the probability that Sabo survived has grown.

Immo
June 09, 2010, 03:15 PM
I knew it. I was all "omg, next flashback.... its gonna be so booooring" and then BANG! and another EPIC bread for dinner. This crossed S on letter, Ace telling Luffy, that men does not cry, and then crying like little girl, so amazing. Sabo dying from Teryuubito is like caged parrot ate by cat just after escaping from cage, because it wanted to fly like rest. I so hope Sabo is alive. Oda, please?

Lord Rayleigh
June 09, 2010, 03:22 PM
Some people suggested that Sabo may have survived and lost his memory.
That would be tragic and thus interesting for the story, especially after what he said in this chapter,

" The thing I'm most scared of is getting swallowed up in this country and becoming a completely different human being. "

EDIT : And the best thing would be that Sabo is Kaidou, the one that tried to stop Whitebeard from saving Ace.
We don't know when Moria was beaten by Kaidou, do we ?

Ratatosk
June 09, 2010, 03:22 PM
I like how Garp summed up exactly what went wrong at Sabaody Archipelago, when talking about Roger.. (regardless of the fact that they'd probably all have been captured or killed if Luffy had stood and fought instead of telling everyone to run).

I think Sabo is dead, Oda just didn't want to show a kid being graphically blown up. Remember some really little kids read Jump.. and there was an SBS years ago about all the thought he put into whether Nami should see Bellemere getting shot in the face or not. I always thought Pell surviving that explosion was damn silly, but that was part of the deliberately happy conclusion of a story arc, not a flashback.
I doubt Oda would do something as amateur as replacing one dead brother with another one turning out to be alive. The last thing Luffy needs to get his confidence back is another guy to rely on, even Shanks was smart enough to see that.

So now we know Roger had a 'similar upbringing' to Ace.. and that bit in Sabo's letter about 2 first-born brothers means he probably told Sabo who his father was. I hope this isn't the end of the flashback, (although it probably is) just so we can see Luffy's face when Ace tells him.

JC123
June 09, 2010, 03:24 PM
I think Sabo isn't dead, if he was, it would be a giant double spread with the ship exploding and the hat floating in the wind... but a tiny panel like this I kind of think he simply got away!
Maybe it will turn out has I predicted in the last thread... with one difference, Sabo will get amnesia!

It's a flashback. The odds of Sabo surviving a cannon blast are slim to none.

Regardless, I now see why Ace wouldn't run from Akainu. He was protecting Luffy in his own way. I really felt torn on this episode. Suffice to say it really made me respect Ace all the more.

Ratatosk
June 09, 2010, 03:31 PM
Ace carrying Dadan home was badass, reminded me of Luffy on Drum Island :D

and Luffy was playing with Hercules beetles. So much great stuff in one chapter..

patz
June 09, 2010, 03:40 PM
May be Sabo write to Ace and Luffy. Dadan should have all his letters by now. Plus, there's no way Dadan can give to Luffy when she doesn't know Luffy's whereabouts.

zagorka
June 09, 2010, 03:49 PM
I'll say it again. Sabo is better off dead. This growth that is needed within Luffy couldn't have happened in a better way especially with a time-skip on the way. Roger was mentioned to foreshadow a fierce and powerful Luffy in the future, especially during times when his nakama are threatened by his enemies. "Roger hated losing the ones he loved." This means he lost people he loved, plain and simple. Take away this pain for Luffy, and that would be horrible. Luffy needs this pain to get where he needs to be.

patz
June 09, 2010, 03:54 PM
I'll say it again. Sabo is better off dead. This growth that is needed within Luffy couldn't have happened in a better way especially with a time-skip on the way. Roger was mentioned to foreshadow a fierce and powerful Luffy in the future, especially during times when his nakama are threatened by his enemies. "Roger hated losing the ones he loved." This means he lost people he loved, plain and simple. Take away this pain for Luffy, and that would be horrible. Luffy needs this pain to get where he needs to be.
He already has it by losing Ace. Sabo doesn't need to sacrifice for that.

zagorka
June 09, 2010, 04:02 PM
Yes he does, because it adds more to Luffy's foreshadowed growth. Both his brothers died. That's pretty damn traumatic, and with this traumatic pain, comes great growth that readers will understand. Remember this as a flashback. Sabo died, and Luffy may not have changed that greatly. Now Ace has died, and he's brother-less. Try to understand it as good writing material, rather than just assuming one death is enough for this growth. This flashback gives us a good understanding of why Luffy was so protective over his crew/friends. Now Ace is dead, and we'll see even greater growth.

zerocooldx
June 09, 2010, 04:04 PM
Man...this was definitely one of the saddest chapters i have ever read.

dragash1
June 09, 2010, 04:05 PM
good chapter,
until we see sabo in the manga alive, he's dead for me..
also sabo letter was really sad :( now luffy lost 2 brothers.

monkeyD.
June 09, 2010, 04:06 PM
This chapter made Aces death all that greater. He definitely was one of the greatest characters before becoming one of the greatest characters (if it makes sense). I only hated the fact they didnt show sabo actually die, which is gonna make everyone wait for him "to come back". which i doubt is happening.

hhv94
June 09, 2010, 04:10 PM
Well I'm glad I waited till this last part of the Sabo Flashback arc to get a good idea of Ace's past but also his bond with Luffy and that of Sabo. I am fascinated by the large amount of forshadowing Oda put in this story arc. I am thinking we will eventually see the bastard Jamal again. Also loved the fact that I got see more then just a shadow of Dragon this time around. Looks like Kuma in the background in the other earlier chapter were his on the boat with Dragons group. Looking foward to the next chapter. Shame we gotta wait a bit but oh well.

shouryuujo
June 09, 2010, 04:16 PM
i hope after the break we see luffy come to his senses and start gathering his crew (after thanking hancock!). I doubt Sabo is dead since almost no one dies in this manga. Almost all villans live in the chapter covers after they get "beat to death" and we only see people die to move plots along. Yes there's the question of Sabo not communicating to Luffy/Ace but I think he is with Dragon thus there probably wont be much communicating. But Sabo is an idiot though for sailing the day of the ceremony..

EToS
June 09, 2010, 04:18 PM
He asssisted Ace in beating up weakling Polchemy who didn't manage to break Luffy's will. And before that he beat up some Pirates that were even weaker. So? Beating up weaklings is no sign of "he's gonna survive an explosion close to his body".

BTW: Kuina who managed to beat most of her father's dojo died from falling down the stairs...

Well, according to what already happened I don't really understand why a ten year old boy as strong as sabo not diing from quite a small explosion would surprise you that much.
Pell did survive a 3km wide explosion meant to erase a whole town.. Luccy survived the shots of 4/5 cannons right on his back and was still in a good enough shape to take down the pirates after that. And he was hardly older than sabo. There are countless examples in OP..

Come on, you know common sense has no value there. If someone is meant to die, Oda will kill him. If he doesn't feel like it, he won't. Wathever the circomstances.

lawlord
June 09, 2010, 04:36 PM
the vibe I got from this chapter from Dadan's words "if you want to protect them then you gotta be as strong as your dad to do as you please"

is that Luffy lost his two brothers (apparently, Sabo could come back though), and will NEVER want to lose anyone again.

As such he will see the only way as gaining power. This is similar in line to his fighting with the admirals and WB commenting he has the heart but not the power.

Luffy will get the power, so he never sees a comrade die before him.

I predict he will ask Hancock for training in Haki.

ScratchmenApoo
June 09, 2010, 04:36 PM
A very nice chapter.

To me, it feels like Sabo's still alive. I bet he clings to a piece of wood or something and he gets picked up by Monkey D. Dragon with a "That's the boy from earlier!" and Sabo will become a revolutionary.
I predict we will already see that in the next chapter.
This way, when Luffy finally meets Sabo, who he thought to be dead, he will be very surprised and happy after 10 years.
Sabo's characteristics might have changed (because he lost his clothes) but Luffy is pretty much the same.

Lord Rayleigh
June 09, 2010, 04:51 PM
Yes he does, because it adds more to Luffy's foreshadowed growth. Both his brothers died. That's pretty damn traumatic, and with this traumatic pain, comes great growth that readers will understand. Remember this as a flashback. Sabo died, and Luffy may not have changed that greatly. Now Ace has died, and he's brother-less. Try to understand it as good writing material, rather than just assuming one death is enough for this growth. This flashback gives us a good understanding of why Luffy was so protective over his crew/friends. Now Ace is dead, and we'll see even greater growth.
That Sabo survived or not does not really matter here since Luffy thought he died. Even if he is alive, the trauma of losing two brothers remains the same. Indeed, Luffy still think Sabo died : he said at MHQ that Ace was his only brother.

mlinko
June 09, 2010, 04:57 PM
I think this is the end of this flashback/arc. Good ending, not great but still good. What do you think, is the end of this arc?

Super Angillis
June 09, 2010, 05:12 PM
I won't be surprised if Sabo does show up again, but I'm not holding my breath. I also have to say I got a laugh out of when Dadan slammed Ace's face into the floor. It reminds me of how that keeps happening to Claire from Claymore. And while the Tenryubito did use the excuse that Sabo was flying the pirate flag, his real reason was simply because Sabo was in his path. Good grief I hope that Dragon's revolution succeds, just to show the Tenryubito just what happens to scum such as them.

Romanov D Paul
June 09, 2010, 06:06 PM
As idiot as it may seems, well, I actually cried. I really hoped it would not turn out like that, even if a little fragment of me still believes that Sabo is safe and sound out there, but... if he was, why he did'nt showed up until now? Sure, this plainly explain the reson why Luffy is sure that Ace was is only brother in this world... Gosh, that was so sad, I really want the world nobles to die in a painful way and eat shit all life long forever and ever :mad.

Edit: I guess that in two weeks we'll get the last chapter of this flashback, witch will include the scene of Ace telling Luffy to promise they'll live with more freedom then anyone else, to respect Sabo's wishes.

THM Nindo
June 09, 2010, 06:17 PM
Great chapter, and really sad.

I don't know if this was mention, but now we know where this "crossed-s" from Ace's tatoo come from.

It was Sabo's Jolly Ranger.
And it can be seen on the letter he sent them :
http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/73205842/19

Kaizokuou
June 09, 2010, 07:19 PM
wow, that chapter really made me cry, i'm surprised how powerful an emotional reaction i got to Ace talking about how he stood tall to protect Luffy. i think it's because i always hated all the Ace-hating that went on and how everyone who wanted a reason to hate him called him a tool for not backing down from Akainu and it's all his fault he died and how he was an idiot for letting all of WB and his crew's efforts go to waste but now i hope people understand why he did what he did. he couldn't help it. he had to protect Luffy and the ones he loved. how many writers really love their characters enough to give them this much depth. Oda-sensei really loves all of his creations.

Super Angillis
June 09, 2010, 07:42 PM
In a lot of ways this whole flashback did more to build Ace's charecter than Luffy's. It says a lot about them in that they were brothers by Oath, not blood. If you think about it, that relates nicely to what Whitebeard said, about Bloodlines bieng wiped out, and the passing down of inherited will. Also contrast it to the Tenryubito who have immense power, and limitless prestige based on their Bloodline, with no personal merit.

esamarie
June 09, 2010, 07:51 PM
I think Sabo is alive and is a member of the revolutionary army. He is probably the person who saved Robin from imprisonment. I don't see the point of including him in all these flashbacks then just killing him off like that. True, his death had probably made Ace and Luffy stronger in the past, but I doubt it would still have an effect in the present setting. I think this is just sort of an introduction in preparation to his appearance in future chapters.

But I'm in awe! Did Oda really plan Sabo's appearance way back from the early chapters of One Piece? I would think that mangakas would just think of new characters as they continue with the story, but Sabo's jolly roger had appeared as Ace's tattoo hundreds of chapters prior. It's like when he included Dragon in Loguetown, then revealed his identity after more than 300 chapters. Oda is a genius!

JC123
June 09, 2010, 07:55 PM
wow, that chapter really made me cry, i'm surprised how powerful an emotional reaction i got to Ace talking about how he stood tall to protect Luffy. i think it's because i always hated all the Ace-hating that went on and how everyone who wanted a reason to hate him called him a tool for not backing down from Akainu and it's all his fault he died and how he was an idiot for letting all of WB and his crew's efforts go to waste but now i hope people understand why he did what he did. he couldn't help it. he had to protect Luffy and the ones he loved. how many writers really love their characters enough to give them this much depth. Oda-sensei really loves all of his creations.

In a way, it wasn't understood what motivated Ace. He was enigmatic to say the least and although we knew that Luffy and Ace were brothers, it didn't go all out and say "Ok guys, here's Ace's motivation" which is what was misunderstood about him.

Yes, he protected his little brother and wouldn't run. Being so hot headed, it probably would have been better if they had left to run, even Ace, who was weakened greatly by being jailed so long.

I still liked Ace. He was a hot head who we know to be fiercely protective of his friends just like WB. Great character, great story. RIP Ace. :(

jokey
June 09, 2010, 08:33 PM
dammit oda's flashbacks always gets me to tears... sabos gotta be alive, dont kill him off oda... wouldnt that just be epic if he were still alive and meet luffy again... one piece is just pure genius..

bittman
June 09, 2010, 08:48 PM
But I'm in awe! Did Oda really plan Sabo's appearance way back from the early chapters of One Piece? I would think that mangakas would just think of new characters as they continue with the story, but Sabo's jolly roger had appeared as Ace's tattoo hundreds of chapters prior. It's like when he included Dragon in Loguetown, then revealed his identity after more than 300 chapters. Oda is a genius!

Most good story-tellers will design a character with enough loose ends either in their design, character or history that they can be tied up in multiple ways in the future. Ace's tattoo always screamed to me: "backstory", but it's doubtful Oda had Sabo in mind when he put a cross over an S on Ace's arm. Most likely Oda made Ace, put that tattoo on and thought "I'll save this for something later".

Same sort of arguements appeared when Brooke turned up and stated he knew Laboon, people were in awe like "Did Oda plan this since the start?!" But really he probably made Laboon with the possibility that something of the crew would be found along the way. Coming up with a skeleton who remembers Laboon might have been a later idea, his original idea might have been to find a journal, or buried treasure, of the original crew, or something like that.

A story-teller creates characters with possibilities, and then realises one of these possibilities in such a smooth way that readers cannot doubt the smooth introduction of it.

Of course, Oda could have planned Sabo since the beginning, but it's unlikely 10 or so years ago he had a plan for all these small secondary characters.

El-Thor
June 09, 2010, 09:42 PM
Well, this chapter was awesome !! (like always)
I wasn't surprised at all that Sabos boat was shot out of the water. What I was surprised to see was "that" look in Sabos eye. He looked at the Tenryubito just like Luffy looked at one when he shot Hacchi. It was also sweet to see Ace worry so much about Luffy, but I kind of wish we saw more of Aces brotherly love in the current story (not the flashback). But I guess this is how Oda had planned it or at least how he wanted it to turn out. Still, I don't really like Ace.

Now, if Sabo is alive then he most likely floated to some island or got picked up by a boat just like Luffy was when he was floating in that barrel :D A more logical solution would be him floating back to Goa kingdom. Guess it depends on the currents in the area. Either way, I BELIEVE ! (that he is alive)

Kaizokuou
June 09, 2010, 09:53 PM
Ace's tattoo always screamed to me: "backstory", but it's doubtful Oda had Sabo in mind when he put a cross over an S on Ace's arm.

Coming up with a skeleton who remembers Laboon might have been a later idea, his original idea might have been to find a journal, or buried treasure, of the original crew, or something like that.

I agree, I think Sabo is a recent creation by Oda, but connecting it with something like Ace's tattoo was supremely skillful. I have heard however that Oda had plans for a skeleton crew-member or something along those lines related to Laboon, tho I guess if there's no hint of it in the manga there's no proof, haha.

I also want to say that I have seen about five instances of people reading volume 58 on the trains of Tokyo recently, pretty exciting, and all of them adults, and most of them women! Shonen my ass!

Freid
June 09, 2010, 10:14 PM
the more i read the flashback i cant help thinking that ace is more suited as a captain rather than a subordinate. yes he was the 2 commander on wb ship but that aint the same as captain.. all three of them deserve captain-ship
[hr]
if this flashback was shown while ace was stil alive, people would have liked him so much more.. when i read this, it makes me think that he had so much potential. really sucks that he died

Super Angillis
June 09, 2010, 10:47 PM
Hell, I keep saying, if Ace had lived he wouldn't have succeded Roger, but rather Whitebeard.

lunarey
June 09, 2010, 10:54 PM
I think it is likely that Sabo is still alive, this flashback serves to introduce who Sabo is, and at the end of this flashback, the letter is the evidence that says he is still possibly out there. I think Sabo's next role is to lead Luffy into the New World, or at least meet up with him there, that Luffy is still not alone in this world after Ace's death, he still has another elder brother.

I like the thought about Sabo possibly in the RA, makes a good cover for him. Though he also wishes to pursue his dream to write a book, so that leaves more room for guessing. He also wants to be a captain of a huge pirate ship, so he's most likely to have achieved this goal at the present time, considering his strength compared to Ace's, if he is still alive.

Sabo loses his signature hat and goggles, so if he's still alive, we may have to work hard to recognise him in the future.

This silhouette (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/560/01/)has got me seriously curious now, could it be Sabo? xD

zerocooldx
June 09, 2010, 10:55 PM
Hell, I keep saying, if Ace had lived he wouldn't have succeded Roger, but rather Whitebeard.

Yeah, and even close to his death Ace was never really too fond of Roger. As far as he was concerned his only father was Whitebeard. Even though he and his blood father shared a lot of similar traits as we are finding out.

bittman
June 09, 2010, 11:23 PM

About a year ago I was predicting WB dying and Ace becoming the new captain of the remnants. But then Ace died and my prediction went straight out the window.

But then again, we've got to remember that Ace was Captain of the Spade Pirates before coming across Whitebeard. A lot of people who can lead are often overtaken by those who are much better at it than they.

If Luffy had not snapped up some of his crew, it's possible they would be pirate captains of their own in the future (I can imagine Captain Zoro, Ussop or Sanji quite easily since they all had some sort of leaning to explore the seas before Luffy ran across their path).

k-dom
June 10, 2010, 12:50 AM
Oda is not a genious for having planed the basics of some characters with an important role. It's like if you said he was a genious for adding a D letters in some name. He has the main storyline in head and it just seems Sabo was part of it.

Concerning next chapter I think we will have the end of the chapter and Luffy's decision to get stronger so that next time he can protect his friends. He is back to Amazon lily where Kuma send him for a reason that he has probably not fulfilled yet

SenninSage
June 10, 2010, 01:07 AM
You know, I wonder how strong the possibility is that Jimbei, by chance, happened to come across Sabo, rescued him, and knows where he is.

Of course, this is just Luffy's flashback, it isn't like he's telling Jimbei this story.

El-Thor
June 10, 2010, 01:19 AM
If Luffy had not snapped up some of his crew, it's possible they would be pirate captains of their own in the future (I can imagine Captain Zoro, Ussop or Sanji quite easily since they all had some sort of leaning to explore the seas before Luffy ran across their path).

I don't quite agree with that. The beauty of Luffys crew is that it's composed of people who are equal to him, but Luffy is still the only one who can commandeer them and keep them together. There's no way Zoro or Sanji can be captains. Yes, they are strong, but they just don't have the personality that a captain should have.

Usopp can definitely be a captain, on his imaginary ship :darn

Hinex
June 10, 2010, 01:56 AM
I don't quite agree with that. The beauty of Luffys crew is that it's composed of people who are equal to him, but Luffy is still the only one who can commandeer them and keep them together. There's no way Zoro or Sanji can be captains. Yes, they are strong, but they just don't have the personality that a captain should have.

Usopp can definitely be a captain, on his imaginary ship :darn

Zoro and Sanji hadn't intend to become pirates before Luffy met them.

lunarey
June 10, 2010, 02:28 AM
http://www.mangastream.com/read/one_piece/73205842/20

Sabo asks Ace which one of them is the older brother, I think it that Sabo is/was the eldest.

Although he is second strongest between himself and Ace, he goes out to sea first, much earlier than either Ace or Luffy decide to. If he is still alive out there, Sabo gets a head start of 10 years to Luffy, 7 years to Ace, making him the most experienced out of the three. I'm seeing it as in a typical family, where the eldest sibling moves out of the household first to fend on his own. Sabo took that initiative brave and strong.

Sabo's words "Take care of him for me" sounds like the tone of an elder sibling, leaving the duty of protecting the younger siblings to Ace. Sabo's departing words surely leave the burden of responsibility on Ace's shoulders as the next brother in line to protect the 'family'.

Ace cries and mourns his death, believing them to be Sabo's last wish before he died (the letter was left by Sabo before he sailed). Automatically, Ace fulfills this wish, keeping true to those words, on top of his inherited trait of not running away and protecting his loved ones. Furthermore, even though Ace chides Luffy for crying non-stop at Sabo's death, saying "Men aren't supposed to sob and cry like that!", he can't help but breakdown too at the end.

But on a side note, another reason I believe Sabo is still alive is that he can't be given such a short, simple, unlucky death like that, his character has much potential to fill the storyline. He would have 10 years of experience on the sea ahead of Luffy, he's got to be helpful somehow.

elitefox
June 10, 2010, 03:11 AM
http://www.mangastream.com/read/one_piece/73205842/20

Sabo asks Ace which one of them is the older brother, I think it that Sabo is/was the eldest.

Although he is second strongest between himself and Ace, he goes out to sea first, much earlier than either Ace or Luffy decide to. If he is still alive out there, Sabo gets a head start of 7 years to Luffy, 4 years to Ace, making him the most experienced out of the three. I'm seeing it as in a typical family, where the eldest sibling moves out of the household first to fend on his own. Sabo took that initiative brave and strong.

Sabo's words "Take care of him for me" sounds like the tone of an elder sibling, leaving the duty of protecting the younger siblings to Ace. Sabo's departing words surely leave the burden of responsibility on Ace's shoulders as the next brother in line to protect the 'family'.

Ace cries and mourns his death, believing them to be Sabo's last wish before he died (the letter was left by Sabo before he sailed). Automatically, Ace fulfills this wish, keeping true to those words, on top of his inherited trait of not running away and protecting his loved ones. Furthermore, even though Ace chides Luffy for crying non-stop at Sabo's death, saying "Men aren't supposed to sob and cry like that!", he can't help but breakdown too at the end.

But on a side note, another reason I believe Sabo is still alive is that he can't be given such a short, simple, unlucky death like that, his character has much potential to fill the storyline. He would have 7 years of experience on the sea ahead of Luffy, he's got to be helpful somehow.

It will just be a matter of time... before Oda reveals if he is alive or not.

Duc :D
June 10, 2010, 03:39 AM
Actually Sabo, if he survived this, would have 7years more exp. compared to Ace and 10 years more experience than Luffy, bc those events occured 10years ago right?

lunarey
June 10, 2010, 03:43 AM
Actually Sabo, if he survived this, would have 7years more exp. compared to Ace and 10 years more experience than Luffy, bc those events occured 10years ago right?

oh yeah you're right, my mistake, I'll make an edit now. Thanks.

elitefox
June 10, 2010, 04:03 AM

It depends on where he is though...

if he is in RA then he might get a bit of training. but to think that RA would keep a child, IDK, maybe.

LeDuck
June 10, 2010, 04:07 AM
If they wouldn't take a wounded child, who's floating in the middle of the ocean, would they be any better than the nobles they are trying to fight?

luffy_boy
June 10, 2010, 04:14 AM
If they wouldn't take a wounded child, who's floating in the middle of the ocean, would they be any better than the nobles they are trying to fight?

It also seems to me as the most reasonable option... and i think the talk dragon and sabo had, makes it likely for me that sabo has joined the Revolutionaries.

elitefox
June 10, 2010, 04:20 AM

What I mean is that being in RA is most dangerous of all...

and sending Sabo to another island might be a better choice than Sabo staying in the revolutionary at age 10. well the terrorist are training children like 7 years old so it is debatable, I guess:p

LeDuck
June 10, 2010, 04:39 AM
Well Dragon did say:

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/586/19/
Mister will you hear me out? - Yes, I won't forget it.

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/587/15/
Those who would fight for freedom, get on board.

It might be more "human" for them to take in a child instead of leaving it alone at some random island, where they don't have to care about it. Sure, normally they won't recruit children, but I don't think they would abandon them either.

THM Nindo
June 10, 2010, 07:32 AM
I agree...
If he's alive, he's in the RA.

But, I doubt he is...
Otherwise, he would have contacted Ace and Luffy...
And he would have definitely come to rescue Ace.

I think this flashback was only meant to show what will be Luffy's goal after that...
Sure, he will still want to be the Pirate King, but he will want to «change the world», just like Ace wanted.

Now that Ace is dead and that he can't avenge Sabo by «chaning the world», Luffy will have to carry on with this will.

panasit
June 10, 2010, 09:12 AM
They are building up for us to hate world government and the nobles even more than we already are. I thought after World Government vs Whitebeard war, we will return to regular arc for a while (I don't know why, I just thought that was a no-brianer). But why do I feel like there is a big war coming up in the next arc? I don't know who is against who, but I feel like they are not regrouping and going to mermaid island yet.

I think we will see the battle at Mariejoa even before the new world. Despite my initial belief that World Government is the ultimate bad guys and Luffy will fight them after conquering some part of the new world. I think the ultimate bad guy is Blackbeard. WG will be in for another fight.

THM Nindo
June 10, 2010, 09:49 AM
One thing is certain... we will see Saint Jalmac again, and he will get his ass kicked!
(I wonder if he's also the one that enslaved Hancock and her sisters).

In any case, I never hated people as much as I hate the Tenryuubito...
Oda did a really great job and making them despicable!

The Archangel
June 10, 2010, 10:11 AM
Add me to the "I think Sabo still lives" club

RuffyxNami
June 10, 2010, 10:28 AM
i think sabo is not dead^^

but its oda guys... he very often surprise us...

The Archangel
June 10, 2010, 10:39 AM
He surprises us by having Hawk guys survive point blank explosions

undertoe
June 10, 2010, 11:16 AM
He surprises us by having Hawk guys survive point blank explosions

Lol I'm still mad he survived, especially after how hyped up that bomb was as an urgent issue... APPARENTLY it wasn't a very significant explosion.

I could see Sabo surviving.

SenninSage
June 10, 2010, 12:08 PM
There's no way Sabo is dead because such an insignificant thing wouldn't be enough to take out either Luffy or Ace. We gotta give Sabo more credit than that. There's no way he's dead.

Sabo, Ace and Luffy grew up as rough as they come, dealing with all sorts of incredible dangers. Those Tenryuubito only talk big, and only seem as tough as they are because they have the full and unquestioned backing of the World Government's most powerful individuals. The only way I'd possibly believe that Sabo were dead, is if the Tenryuubito had sent a marine VA or Admiral after Sabo on that ship personally. That didn't happen, so I don't believe he's dead.

WIzarDE
June 10, 2010, 12:08 PM
Lol I'm still mad he survived, especially after how hyped up that bomb was as an urgent issue... APPARENTLY it wasn't a very significant explosion.

I kind of feel the same way ... its not like I wanted him dead but when he appears alive its a total WTF moment. But then during the Impel down arc it was kinda explained that zodiac fruit users recover very quickly from their wounds or whatever .

On topic, I really hope Sabo is alive and is the captain of a big crew. I say this because I like him :P, and cause from now on Luffy is going to need protection from someone I mean he his in everyone's radar by now.

llamapie
June 10, 2010, 12:16 PM
I kind of feel the same way ... its not like I wanted him dead but when he appears alive its a total WTF moment. But then during the Impel down arc it was kinda explained that zodiac fruit users recover very quickly from their wounds or whatever .

On topic, I really hope Sabo is alive and is the captain of a big crew. I say this because I like him :P, and cause from now on Luffy is going to need protection from someone I mean he his in everyone's radar by now.

I wouldn't say "protection" but an ally. Sabo is likely alive, unless explosions actually kill people now. I imagine he is in the new world and luffy will meet him and probably punch his ass for not letting them know he's alive.

abc1233
June 10, 2010, 12:26 PM
There's no way Sabo is dead because such an insignificant thing wouldn't be enough to take out either Luffy or Ace. We gotta give Sabo more credit than that. There's no way he's dead.

Sabo, Ace and Luffy grew up as rough as they come, dealing with all sorts of incredible dangers. Those Tenryuubito only talk big, and only seem as tough as they are because they have the full and unquestioned backing of the World Government's most powerful individuals. The only way I'd possibly believe that Sabo were dead, is if the Tenryuubito had sent a marine VA or Admiral after Sabo on that ship personally. That didn't happen, so I don't believe he's dead.

agreed, it doesn't seem right for Oda to kill off one brother, introduce another brother in a flashback and then reveal that he was actually dead. I think Sabo will be as a sort of 'replacement' for Ace and will be the one to finally get Luffy out of his depression, or luffy may just meet him in the New World.

dragash1
June 10, 2010, 12:32 PM
i dont really no why some ppl think hes alive.
i wanted him alive to. but after reading the new chapter,
i think he beter off dead.
and everyone who died in a flashback of SH, never appeared again.

Zatono
June 10, 2010, 12:39 PM
Sabo can't be dead, because it simply wouldn't make sense. What effect did Sabo's death have on Ace and Luffy? It hasn't made them any anyone, nor has it changed their goals.

Also, this flashback was supposed to be about Luffy and Ace's relationship...so even though its a stretch, maybe it was to show another reason for Ace being so crazy about protecting Luffy, which was basically Sabo's dying wish. http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/73205842/20

terrorei
June 10, 2010, 12:47 PM
Some of my thoughts, why Sabo could still be alive:
1. Its not, that all the Marines have to be brainless idiots. Its possible that Sabo was rescued by one that have some humanity in him.

2. I don't know, but I somehow get the feeling Trafalgar Law could be Sabo. I know there is a big gab that still need to be cleared, but it would explain some things.
For example the question, why Sabo didn't show up for Aces rescue if he is still alive. He did ^^. For the question why he took so long to show up. Observe what Ace is saying (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/558/11/). If you think of it Luffy have the same thoughts till he saw Aces Vivecard.
We also see Tigerflaw waiting to see what Whitebeard can accomplish and to let Aces own crew handle the whole thing. And as WB was stabbed and the broadcast was cut he was uncertain of the outcome and departed to help, but came to late to save Ace, but not to save Luffy risking his own live.

happy GIN smily
June 10, 2010, 12:48 PM
the colourspread was as uninspired as possible. i hope for the start of an interesting coverstory next chapter. and am afraid that Sabo is not dead. so he might have a "surprising" comeback.

I have never been so unentertained by One Piece since i started reading it. I might be the only one, but i hope for an end of this Sabo Thing as soon as possible.

Freid
June 10, 2010, 12:52 PM
prediction:..... somebody saves sabo but when sabo wakes up he does not remember anything and forgets ace, luffy, dadan and the rest. the only thing he may remember is his dream to become a great pirate. this would explain why he did not come to ace's rescue.

maybe later on in the manga luffy would have to fight him as an enemy and beats him to a pulp so he remembers

dragash1
June 10, 2010, 01:05 PM
plz not, i hope something like that doesn't happen its to lame.
instead just let him die like the rest of the flashback ppl.
Ps. colorspread was nice, like always.

Freid
June 10, 2010, 01:10 PM
plz not, i hope something like that doesn't happen its to lame.
instead just let him die like the rest of the flashback ppl.
Ps. colorspread was nice, like always.

well the theory appeard to me in a dream. a sign. i think that's whats going to happen

monkey D luffy
June 10, 2010, 01:18 PM

i dunno. pell survived robin too. i think he was special if you think about it. he was able to fly relatively easy after his spine broke so surviving this bomb isnt such a feat after all.

also i too think sabo survives. remember that we also saw ace's hat kinda like that after the fight with BB and he ended up living right after this fight. also igaram survived, and that mole lady survived a swing of a baseball club that weights a ton (literally) to the face.

final verdict: if it isnt shown otherwise, he is definatly alive.

Lord Rayleigh
June 10, 2010, 01:35 PM
That Pell survived is the only thing I reproach Oda for. The sacrifice was majestic and he ruined it all.

Uriel
June 10, 2010, 01:38 PM
This chapter made me sure He's alive and in RA.

;D

luffy_boy
June 10, 2010, 01:40 PM
Well i hope next chapter the filler will end or hass ended... so we might see Luffy`s new goal... (maybe learning Haki to a certain degree (altough a training arc would`nt fit luffy))

Lord Rayleigh
June 10, 2010, 01:46 PM
This chapter made me sure He's alive and in RA.
He talked about freedom everytime we saw him, and he met Dragon, and he already bore a grudge against Goa Kindgom's King and Nobles, and now comes the Tenryubito.
Dogura also explained in this chapter that those who " killed " him were this world with its system. Oda continues to foreshadow his revolutionary ideal.

EDIT : yet, he can still have become some kind of pirate. If he really lost his memory, he can be some freak of the New World with absolutely no rule and moral.

roymustang86
June 10, 2010, 02:05 PM
Cant take this boring arc anymore. enough of flashbacks, I just wish Luffy gets back to his crew doing what he is supposed to

mlinko
June 10, 2010, 02:39 PM
Just one more week till we see grown up mugiwaras. Can't wait, to see them all together again. Andd now if Kuma attacks them they will be able to beat him to a pulp.

BlazingMonkey
June 10, 2010, 03:04 PM
Man I have no idea if Sabo survives or not :X i have sence this flashback started been a strong Sabo lives suporter but now i'n unsertin i mean oda made his "death" very emotional here... not as much as Ace though. So for me it's kinda 50/50

johnnyb7
June 10, 2010, 03:16 PM
I think that Sabo's death was predictable, but it would be a really cool twist to have him still be alive as people were saying. The only problem with this is that if he was still alive, he should have been a part of the attack on the marines to save Ace. He wasn't there so I don't think that he's alive. I think this was just a small arc to put emphasis and background on Ace and Luffy's relationship and promise to be pirates. Now that Ace and Sabo are both dead Luffy is going to strive even harder to become the pirate king for both of their sakes.

I hope that Sanji doesn't stay as a transvestite, I liked him as a pervert, I don't want him to change lol.
[hr]

Well i hope next chapter the filler will end or hass ended... so we might see Luffy`s new goal... (maybe learning Haki to a certain degree (altough a training arc would`nt fit luffy))

I think he'll train but they'll skip over it. Otherwise he'll just begin to understand haki without the training.

vagabond87
June 10, 2010, 03:48 PM
I think that Sabo's death was predictable, but it would be a really cool twist to have him still be alive as people were saying. The only problem with this is that if he was still alive, he should have been a part of the attack on the marines to save Ace. He wasn't there so I don't think that he's alive.

He can be one of level 6 prisoners that escaped ;) Of course he lost memory after his boat got blown up and thats why he didnt recognise Luffy :p Only joking as usual.... ;)

k-dom
June 10, 2010, 03:55 PM
the colourspread was as uninspired as possible. i hope for the start of an interesting coverstory next chapter. and am afraid that Sabo is not dead. so he might have a "surprising" comeback.

The same here, it seems ages since a color spread strucked me. Probably the ones around chapter 540. Hopefully, the last cover duos were really nice and I hope we will have a few more before the cover story begins

xPm
June 10, 2010, 04:06 PM
I believe Sabo his alive.

He became an important character very fast, and IMO it would be lame to kill him off panel without a fight, without any emotion. Seriously, sabo sees a huge ship, pew pew he explodes and thats it? Doesn't fit Oda at all.

RichardMNixon
June 10, 2010, 04:07 PM
EDIT : yet, he can still have become some kind of pirate. If he really lost his memory, he can be some freak of the New World with absolutely no rule and moral.

I have a hard time picturing a 10 year old Sabo making it out on his own (his first try lasted a few minutes); if he's still alive I'm pretty sure someone picked him up.

red-hair himself
June 10, 2010, 06:13 PM
so is he dead or not O.o im like super confused also if he isnt dead who wants to bet 20 bucks he managed to escape barely and went to the new world and like most people are saying he lost his memory but when he meets luffy his memory will come back bit by bit of his past and when he remebers ace and knowing that he is dead will ally himself with luffy when the time for a great battle with the marines happens or bb, but then again wouldnt it be funny if sabo was with shanks? :P

PitchBlack857
June 10, 2010, 07:38 PM
Sabo ain't dead, Oda knows what he's doing. Don't make sense dude just lost Ace. To introduce a character like this just to merk him off, Oda smarter than that he just letting the audience know Luffy has another brother. D

Sabo's in the new world somewhere,maybe with dragon maybe in trouble with the next big bad luffy will wreck. Im sure he will show up.

Kaizokuou
June 10, 2010, 09:29 PM
The same here, it seems ages since a color spread strucked me. Probably the ones around chapter 540. Hopefully, the last cover duos were really nice and I hope we will have a few more before the cover story begins

Really? I quite like the spread. It's not as amazing as parrots floating around while they lie on a flying dragon's back but it's a pretty cool one. That and Alice In Wonderland is pretty big in Japan right now so maybe that influenced it. I love the designs of the chairs, they look so comfy, and the legs are so cool looking. Oda's imagination/research is awe-inspiring.

lunarey
June 10, 2010, 09:56 PM
I think that Sabo's death was predictable, but it would be a really cool twist to have him still be alive as people were saying. The only problem with this is that if he was still alive, he should have been a part of the attack on the marines to save Ace. He wasn't there so I don't think that he's alive. I think this was just a small arc to put emphasis and background on Ace and Luffy's relationship and promise to be pirates. Now that Ace and Sabo are both dead Luffy is going to strive even harder to become the pirate king for both of their sakes.

I hope that Sanji doesn't stay as a transvestite, I liked him as a pervert, I don't want him to change lol.
<hr noshade size="1">

I think he'll train but they'll skip over it. Otherwise he'll just begin to understand haki without the training.

Eh... Sanji could be a tranny pervert, you know honing his skills and what not, just now that he swings both ways. Pervert on both sides... damn that's a scary thought.

I have a hard time picturing a 10 year old Sabo making it out on his own (his first try lasted a few minutes); if he's still alive I'm pretty sure someone picked him up.

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/585/11/
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/585/12/
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/585/13/

I think Sabo would do well on his own anyways. Out of the three brothers he is the most suited to be the navigator according to Ace, and we all know by the great example Nami is. If a girl could do it as a kid, he could too, perhaps better. If its anything like how Nami fared, with 10 years experience on the sea I'm sure he's made it alive to the New World.

Poneglyph420
June 11, 2010, 12:49 AM
I am in awe of what Oda has just done.
Right after what Luffy has faced with the death of Ace, he shows us Ace's exact relative moment. Genius! I really think Sabo is dead (while I'm sad to see him die) and his death (or figurative "death" for those who REALLY think he's alive) was an essential part of this flashback. Luffy in his trauma has reached to the depths of his psyche. Through this flashback the bonds of brothers were cemented and we learned a TON about Luffy's past. Is that not enough to define this flashback..?

However I respect that many think Sabo will somehow appear again in the future..
Unless Dragon somehow saved him as his ship was sunk, I still doubt it.

septimus
June 11, 2010, 01:44 AM
If sabo was really dead we wouldn't have any doubts. Oda always make sure he shows what happens to all his characters. I think he is alive and that he's trafalgar law, that might explain why he helped luffy.

FluffBall
June 11, 2010, 03:32 AM
trafalgar law doesn't look that much like sabo but i also think he might be alive. he could have like been on the brink of death but was somehow found on some random island and was raised there until he set sail to become a pirate again. if he did die though then there's only one out of the three brothers so once luffy gets better and regains composure then he will strive to be an even more famous pirate or something like that.

Szaman
June 11, 2010, 04:16 AM
Some people suggested that Sabo may have survived and lost his memory.
That would be tragic and thus interesting for the story, especially after what he said in this chapter,

" The thing I'm most scared of is getting swallowed up in this country and becoming a completely different human being. "

EDIT : And the best thing would be that Sabo is Kaidou, the one that tried to stop Whitebeard from saving Ace.
We don't know when Moria was beaten by Kaidou, do we ?

Loosing memory is fine. Just as much as death. In terms of a story, that is - whatever Oda decides him to be (alive, alive but with no recolection of his previous self, dead), I'm sure the story that unfolds will be great. That is why I won't predict but rather wait patiently with a smirk and expecting another portion on fun.

As for the Sabo = Kaidou. I don't think so. No, I should rather say: Quite impossible.
First, it's the power difference. Ace was equal to Sabo in their "puppy years". Then Ace got Mera-Mera and worked with the strongest pirate in the world, having tough bastards like Marco and Jaws as friends. He's talend and strengh unfolded brilliantly. And now we have to look at Kaidou - a proverbial "big bad wolf" who functions among common folks as a definition of terminal power (among WB, Red Hair and Big Momma) and danger. They just couldn't have missed each other by such a large margin in terms of power in such a short time. No way.
Plus I'm sure Kaidou was known and feared long before Ace or Sabo moved to the sea. Also lack of interaction between the two of them would be strange (meetings between the Yonkou may be rare, but Ace SHOULD know how Kaidou looks like).

I have to disagree. Zorro was just looking for strong opponents to train and to train for his final encounter - Mihawk. He did not look to be a pirate, he looked FOR pirates, as they tended to be stronger then the rest of the ppl.

Sanji was well and content with his job. Sure, dreaming about the "all blue" but never shown any signs of being ready to ditch his friends and go to the sea.

Usopp was a coward. IS a coward. He would most likely rather stay in his made-up world and tell his tales to the folks of his home town, rather then being the actual captain.

Nami was the least likely candidate to get her own crew of all. She hated pirates.

The list can go on, but the point is, that apart from Brook, who already WAS a pirate, non of the current SHs ever came above the level of "having a dream", or "strong need/ambition" to do something in their life. Luffy and his ignorant cheerfulness (ignoring their "no's" as answers, being him stupid-self etc.) just gave them the push in the right direction and helped them realize that they aren't much different then him and it is possible to live the dream. That's what connects them and that is why he's the captain. He's the glue that binds them, he's the will that drives them. Without Luffy acting as a catalyst to spark their own "screw it all! I'm in!" moment most, if not all of them, would still be where they were doing what they were doing.

frontaLobotomy
June 11, 2010, 05:35 AM
I am in awe of what Oda has just done.
Right after what Luffy has faced with the death of Ace, he shows us Ace's exact relative moment. Genius!

You hit the nail on the head there. Sabo's character is uniquely compelling in that he's made a significant impact on the story whether he lives or has died. Oda was on to a winner either way. I happen to think he is dead also, as that element of personal tragedy gave some much needed depth to Ace's character, knowing he was Roger's son and a bit of a hotheaded emo wasn't doing it for me, despite being a fan of his.

Davit08
June 11, 2010, 05:48 AM
i dont think sabo is dead..oda usually shows the death of the characters he kills to confirm it..there's no confirmation at all in this chapter.

Izznoogood
June 11, 2010, 05:57 AM
Well Oda ha a way of making characters survive ridicilus attacks and blast.

Firs one out is Usoops ton bat to the head fo instance, damn hes head should have come clean off :P And Zorro,Sanji and Usoop was it that got hit several times with lightning for christ sake, hehe. So if Oda wants to keep him alive he will,becouse hes even with ace is he not? And there is no indication to that he should not surve that last blast, he was most likly hurled in to the water, most likly unconsius.

And why even introduce him as a rather importent brother just to make a point.
I would very much like to meet Sabo again in the new world.

k-dom
June 11, 2010, 06:30 AM
Honnestly the amnesia is such a cliché. That's the type of thing one do when one has no imagination which is not really Oda like. Sabo can not be dead otherwise what was the point to introduce him is not a very convincing argument. A lot of characters have been introduced only in Flashbacks before and we don't ask ourselves the question if they are dead or not. I agree, that I still have some doubt on his fate, but I don't really see what it would bring to the story if he was still alive. The bond between Luffy and Ace cannot be compared to the one between Luffy and Sabo. And if Sabo reappeared out of nowhere, saying to Luffy : in fact, I was not dead you still have a brother isn't that great ? would be rather lame

Really? I quite like the spread. It's not as amazing as parrots floating around while they lie on a flying dragon's back but it's a pretty cool one. That and Alice In Wonderland is pretty big in Japan right now so maybe that influenced it. I love the designs of the chairs, they look so comfy, and the legs are so cool looking. Oda's imagination/research is awe-inspiring.
I think I found the parrots one worse than this one :-). But it makes me think to Alice in wonderland too

luffy_boy
June 11, 2010, 09:22 AM
As for the Sabo = Kaidou. I don't think so. No, I should rather say: Quite impossible.
First, it's the power difference. Ace was equal to Sabo in their "puppy years". Then Ace got Mera-Mera and worked with the strongest pirate in the world, having tough bastards like Marco and Jaws as friends. He's talend and strengh unfolded brilliantly.

Just about the power difference... okay they where equal when they where 10, but ace and luffy really started becomming strong when they left. So Sabo left several years earlier and has lots of more experience, and having strong friends (members of the same crew) does`nt say you are strong yourself. One of the reasons why ace was invited in the crew was because he allready was powerfull/ talented.

Btw. i also don`t think sabo is Kaidou. :p

Razh
June 11, 2010, 09:53 AM
Yeah, I don't think Sabo had an amnesia and then became very different in appearance and so strong that his power and influence could almost rival that of Whitebeard.

I think it's possible that he caught on the part of wood from the ship and currents took him away from the island.

Izznoogood
June 11, 2010, 10:05 AM
I think it's possible that he caught on the part of wood from the ship and currents took him away from the island.

Thats my assumption too. But id rather think hes just knocked out really and drifting with the currents or whataver. And wake up later on a nerby island or sumthing. And thers the possibility that he tries to come back to the island some time later discovering that Luffy Ace and the bandits gone perhaps? Do we know how long they stayed on the island before they ship out? If i remember correctly Luffy sailed out three years after Ace?

And so, did Luffy stay with Dada for the next remaing years?
I personly would like to get Sabo dead or alive confirmed next chap just to get that clearified,then next chap after that seeng Luffy say goodbye to Ace and yelling youl be my brother for ever and then second part get to see Luffy sailing in whatever boat he ues that got smashed, hehe. I think that would be a great way to end the flashback imo.

craziii
June 11, 2010, 10:56 AM
well, the end of flash back. time for a new arc! 2 weeks of waiting :(

Zeltrax
June 11, 2010, 11:40 AM
I dunno what i was expecting from this chapter,
can't say I feel anything for Sabo if he died.
probably cos he was just a character I knew months ago, so I can' exactly feel sorry for ace and luffy.
I still feel for ace thought, like dadan said, somehow he changed the world.
Wb pirates coming to rescue him, wb dies,
and the entire world changes because of his death.
I don't know what to say for now, but I'm pretty sure that the next arc is when...

STRAWHATS REUNION!!
Please oda, please.

CBlitz
June 11, 2010, 12:06 PM
Well I would certainly want a reunion arc, its about time the SHs got back together and move forward!!! Can't wait, I haven't been this excited for future events since the Archipelago arc :hurr

chess4
June 11, 2010, 12:55 PM
If ace doesn't come back to life somehow or sabo isn't alive then this flashback was pointless. We all know ace and luffy were close. Why give an in depth flashback of 2 dead characters. We didn't have to see dadan in the past and its already establisjhed the celestial dragons are horrible people. Why introduce sabo and his age if he was just goin to be killed of. I know everyone will say luffy is the only one who didn't have a traumatic flashback, well as bad as the others, but luffy just lose someone in the present. Now we know he had another brother he couldn't protect....well imma save my final judgement until we see if sabo is alive. Maybe a fishman saved him and he has amenesia and is on fishman island learning fishman karate...yea I know its a stretch
[hr]
Just hope sabo is alive.....the flasback has at least 1 more chapter....we still haven't seen when ace got his tatto od sabo's flag or why he got the hat.....

Uriel
June 11, 2010, 02:27 PM
Amnesia? O_O

Come on, how many times Oda introduces a character, develops him THIS MUCH and then just kill it when Ace in the same flashback showed more endurance? (Being both at the same level)
Ace was trapped in fire, and He survived. Why Sabo wouldn't survive?

What happened to him is uncertain, that's true. But I think we can safely say He's alive. I think He's not Kaidou (Too strong and Ace would know being in the New World) or anyone that much on the spotlight.
That's why I think He's on RA, under the cape of Dragon. Yeah, I'm forcing the stuff, but it would be a good way to make a connection with the rest of the Mugiwaras.

@Chess4: I know it's not a thing to have in consideration, but being the fact that there wont be any chapter next week I would assume this flashback ended already.

deffkryz
June 11, 2010, 02:41 PM
For the fun of it - let's see how often we can repeat these topics in this thread, won't we?

Sabo is dead dammit!!!/ain't dead dammit!!!
Dragon will kill Tenryuubito/won't harm the Tenryuubito because that would summon an Admiral
There'll be a timeskip!!!/There won't be a timeskip!!! -_-

Is there any other discussionrepetition of statements and beliefs I've missed? ;)

My prediction for next chapter:

First half of the chapter: We gonna see some panels how Luffy and Ace grew up and maybe stonger, how Ace finds his first black hat, maybe Dadan and Garp will have a talk about "Luffy's father" becoming some great revolutionist - we may hear about Titi's death and the Kind's conference as time references. The flashback ends with Ace leaving the island to become a great pirate and saying Luffy good-bye.

Second half - if my first half is too long for 9 pages, this is what I wish to become true for chapter 590: We're back in - probably another week has passed. Luffy thanks Law and tells him that he's not that of a bad person... Heart Pirates take a leave and think of giving Jinbei a ride home, that he declines.

Chapter ends with a ship approaching Amazon Lily - one with a dragon as figurehead ... Dragon steps on deck: "It's time Luffy... We need to talk." (And he'll have Robin on his ship)

And much farer into Oda's "Fog of chapters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fog_of_war#Simulations_and_games)":

Jinbei accompanies Luffy to Sabaody - Hancock is left behind but she demands Margaretto to be his bodyguard (making her the 10th crew member, which may oppose her wish to become a member of Kuja Pirates... but it's Hancock's wish.)
Grand reunion of Mugiwaras

BlindMunkey
June 11, 2010, 03:05 PM
Amnesia? O_O

Come on, how many times Oda introduces a character, develops him THIS MUCH and then just kill it when Ace in the same flashback showed more endurance? (Being both at the same level)
Ace was trapped in fire, and He survived. Why Sabo wouldn't survive?

What happened to him is uncertain, that's true. But I think we can safely say He's alive. I think He's not Kaidou (Too strong and Ace would know being in the New World) or anyone that much on the spotlight.
That's why I think He's on RA, under the cape of Dragon. Yeah, I'm forcing the stuff, but it would be a good way to make a connection with the rest of the Mugiwaras.

@Chess4: I know it's not a thing to have in consideration, but being the fact that there wont be any chapter next week I would assume this flashback ended already.

i too think that sabo is alive.
furthermore we most agree that SH crew will get there next member in the new world. now assuming sabo is with dragon [RA] and they are in New World. so this introduction of [AceLuffy]Sabo can be served as the purpose of Sabo ending up being the next member of SH crew. it can happen. this can also happen when luffy and dragon meets. this can also happen when robin returns and wham. its sabo with robin. he could end up as temporary nakama or he can make jimbei feel at ease creating an exit for jimbei to leave his temporary stay with luffy. alotta possibilities and ODA will pick the one i cant think of it.

givensp
June 11, 2010, 03:49 PM
I probably should know what this means but I dont so I'll ask

what does it mean by "one piece will be on hiatus next week, it will return in issue #30"

does that mean the week after next week it will be out and what issue is #30

BlindMunkey
June 11, 2010, 04:15 PM

what does it mean by "one piece will be on hiatus next week, it will return in issue #30"

it just means .. one piece is on break next week. the following week it will continue.

PH3000
June 11, 2010, 04:18 PM

issue #30 means the 30iest weekly shounen jump. this week's #28 so it says that there is no one piece chapter next week, and after this one-chapter-break everything's going on as usual.

@deffykrz i love your prediction aside dragon appearing this fast. but i think too it will be half flashback half something new from amozon lilly...

deffkryz
June 11, 2010, 08:12 PM
@deffykrz i love your prediction aside dragon appearing this fast. but i think too it will be half flashback half something new from amozon lilly...

Well... Dragon has been shown in the flashback, so I felt it would be the perfect time for him to appear.

It would also fit to some of my other prediction that Hancock may lose her shichibukai status because she switched sides within battle and eventually because the WG wants to get rid of them to replace them by a Pacifista army. With her hatred towards to Tenryuubito, Dragon might even persuade her (maybe by promising that luck bastard Luffy to her ;)) to join the World Revolution. :kukuku I'd love to see Luffy thinking "Marriage ceremony == BIG party with lots of food."

tobeulp
June 11, 2010, 08:49 PM
Sabo is most likely to be alive... Oda didn't show Sabo dead just being blasted so the chances are high that he survive the blast.

k-dom
June 12, 2010, 02:04 AM
I don't know, to me, Dragon won't appear in the main plot until the last arcs of the series. I also believe it will be in the same time as the reign of the tenryubito will be ended. And I think we need to learn more about the Will of D and the missing century for that.

The rookie
June 12, 2010, 03:02 AM
Sabo is most likely to be alive... Oda didn't show Sabo dead just being blasted so the chances are high that he survive the blast.

But the picture of sabos ''death'' is his ship falling burning into 1000 pieces
and his flag is burning along with his hat . all these things are symols of sabo and they burn, in my eyes it is a symbol of sabos death.
(you really don't want oda to draw a dead child, thats why he uses the symbols)

Kaizokuou
June 12, 2010, 03:03 AM
Just hope sabo is alive.....the flasback has at least 1 more chapter....we still haven't seen when ace got his tatto od sabo's flag or why he got the hat.....

Or why he's got such great manners when we first meet him in Alabasta, haha, he doesn't seem as polite as a kid...

abc1233
June 12, 2010, 03:28 AM
But the picture of sabos ''death'' is his ship falling burning into 1000 pieces
and his flag is burning along with his hat . all these things are symols of sabo and they burn, in my eyes it is a symbol of sabos death.
(you really don't want oda to draw a dead child, thats why he uses the symbols)

he didn't mind showing luffy being senselessly tortured a few chapters ago, so I don't think that's a problem for Oda

The rookie
June 12, 2010, 03:40 AM
he didn't mind showing luffy being senselessly tortured a few chapters ago, so I don't think that's a problem for Oda

yeah your right ( but the torture wasn't senseless).
anyways i think the symbolic shows sabo is dead :P

abc1233
June 12, 2010, 03:49 AM
yeah your right ( but the torture wasn't senseless).
anyways i think the symbolic shows sabo is dead :P

I know, just wanted to reinforce my point with an awesome adjective :D

tereta_foba
June 12, 2010, 04:41 AM
2. I don't know, but I somehow get the feeling Trafalgar Law could be Sabo. I know there is a big gab that still need to be cleared, but it would explain some things.

I think so too.....there must be a connection between sabo and Law....
they look alike and this would explain the acting of Law,.....he is the supervona that was most presented in arhipelago.....maybe after the destruction of his ship sabo lost his memory or something....thats why he was not known with the name sabo, thats why he never looked for ace and luffy, thats why ace and luffy believed he was dead.....whatever happened....Law will play a huge role..;)

abc1233
June 12, 2010, 06:08 AM
they look alike and this would explain the acting of Law,.....he is the supervona that was most presented in arhipelago.....maybe after the destruction of his ship sabo lost his memory or something....thats why he was not known with the name sabo, thats why he never looked for ace and luffy, thats why ace and luffy believed he was dead.....whatever happened....Law will play a huge role..;)
if Sabo did survive then he would have quite a bit more experience than ace and luffy, and considering how much luffy has grown since the start of the series, experience is very important in one piece. Sabo and Ace were about the same level in this flashback so one would assume that with this extra experience, Sabo would be an infamous New World pirate, not a rookie who is most likely weaker than luffy. But then again, maybe Sabo just grew much slower than luffy and ace, and this series could use a bit more twists :D

Deo_df
June 12, 2010, 09:19 AM
I thought it was pretty obvious Sabo was alive. Right now he is kickin it with Robin. He knew Ace was gonna get executed but was on a mission for dragon away from the grand line or was letting Ace live his own adventure and assuming White Beard (the strongest pirate alive) would take care of business. Him and Ace probably met in the new world, as for Ace not telling Luffy, well perhaps Sabo requested it so Luffy wouldnt rush to the new world before he was ready. Or Ace may have just forgotten about it, as him and Luffy were only reunited briefly, enough time for Ace to give Luffy the vivre card and thats about it. And that was so they could meet at the pirates summit. Sabo being a navigator and Kumas Nakama may actually indicate that he knows how to reunite the strawhat crew, that could definitely be an order given by Dragon especially if he knows Sabos relationship to Luffy.

llamapie
June 12, 2010, 09:21 AM
Well ya if Sabo is alive he will be in the new world, "detached" as it were. It would explain why he wasn't there to help Ace. The general feeling I have gotten from the manga is that the new world is as it says. So more than likely Sabo had no idea what was going on at Marine Ford. I imagine if he is alive Luffy will meet him in the new world and probably punch him.

DoItDoItDoIt
June 12, 2010, 10:10 AM

they look alike?? I can´t see any resemblance

topkomputer
June 12, 2010, 10:21 AM
I personally don't know if Sabo still alive or not. First of all that will caused all Luffy and Ace quotations become useless and jokes. "Ace is the only brother I have in this world", and S tatto on Ace's left arm. And to think that there are still tons of characters that Oda will create on future chapters. So I personally think that is the best to give this one a farewell goodbye.

But based on Vivi's guardians, one that sinks into the sea by Robin and that flying-arabasta-guardian still alive even tough he carried a bomb that could destroy the whole city. I don't know Sabo's current status. Oda might answer it in his SBS or future chapter.

abc1233
June 12, 2010, 10:31 AM
they look alike?? I can´t see any resemblance

look at sabo without his hat. sabo's and law's hair and the shape of their faces are similiar. Plus Law has those tatoos of the WG symbol on his body I believe which would tie in with Sabo's hatred of the nobles and the current world order. It is a bit of a long shot and I don't think they're related.

llamapie
June 12, 2010, 11:24 AM
look at sabo without his hat. sabo's and law's hair and the shape of their faces are similiar. Plus Law has those tatoos of the WG symbol on his body I believe which would tie in with Sabo's hatred of the nobles and the current world order. It is a bit of a long shot and I don't think they're related.

they don't look alike at all to me... There really just is no way. Please don't go with the "hair" argument. >,> Have to deal with that one in Naruto discussions already.

Ratatosk
June 12, 2010, 11:28 AM
Eh?
Sabo has light-coloured hair.
Law has dark hair.

Law is way too interesting a character for him to turn out to be Luffy's long-lost brother...

rexeren
June 12, 2010, 12:08 PM
sabo may not have died.. he could have been saved by dragon at some point that we don't know and he could be part of the revolutionary

abc1233
June 12, 2010, 12:37 PM
they don't look alike at all to me... There really just is no way. Please don't go with the "hair" argument. >,> Have to deal with that one in Naruto discussions already.

as i said, I don't think they're related either <_<

k-dom
June 12, 2010, 01:10 PM
Damn Oda, why did he take a break now ! We will have this Sabo is dead/is not dead pointless discussion during 2 weeks :-(

I also hope that with the end of the Flashback, we will see how the relation with Jinbei and Hancock will evolve. Like deffkryz said previously, next chapter will be probably 50% flashback 50% luffy recovery.
Since it will take some time for the other crew members to come back to Saobondy, I think Luffy won't go directly to the Archipelago. Since he has come back to Amazon Lilly, it is time he learns about Haki, so that he never lose someone he care for again.

Ratatosk
June 12, 2010, 01:48 PM
Damn Oda, why did he take a break now ! We will have this Sabo is dead/is not dead pointless discussion during 2 weeks :-(

Surely people will get bored of it soon? :D
As an reader of Berserk I'm glad it's only 1-week breaks he keeps taking..

I hope next week will have Jinbei & Luffy talking, if he has finished smashing things up; maybe he will mention Arlong and we will find out what happened to the Sun Pirates, so we can come up with random theories on them as well as Dragon.

Luffy learnt a lot from getting his ass kicked by CP9 and Aokiji, and didn't show it until the next time he fought someone strong; I'm sure we will see the results of his experience fighting countless monsters in the war. I can't see him putting off going back to Sabaody just so he can train, he's a captain after all. Friends are more important than power in this story, even for someone who knows they need to get stronger. The only reason he delayed it to go after Ace was because it was life and death.
Please, no lame training arcs and more Strawhats. Robin at least, and probably Sanji and Franky, must have heard of the events at Marineford, and we need to see their reactions.

k-dom
June 12, 2010, 02:42 PM
Don't underestimate the members of this forum :-)

About the training, I thought about it because I have the impression it will take longer (in One Piece timeline) than we expect for the crew to get together. There is this rumor of time skip and the last anime episode reinforce that feeling.

And thanks for make me remember the Arlong part, it's true that there is something to settle here.

Uriel
June 12, 2010, 02:43 PM
Well... Dragon has been shown in the flashback, so I felt it would be the perfect time for him to appear.
So far we have seen most of him by flashbacks XD

I doubt He will appear next chapter. I think it will be about how Luffy resolves to get his nakama back.

johnnyb7
June 12, 2010, 03:19 PM
I'm guessing that the next chapter is going to be Luffy reuniting with his crew. I hope it's that at least, they've been separated since September 2008, quite a long time. lol

tereta_foba
June 12, 2010, 03:52 PM
is there any way that the words ace told to luffy before he dyed have something to do with sabo??? luffy was prety much surprised, compared to his ''insensible'' character so there must be something very important.....

k-dom
June 12, 2010, 04:18 PM
Ace last words are 'thank you for loving me', so I would say no

tereta_foba
June 12, 2010, 04:19 PM
in the next chapter, ace will be departing and luffy will be there with garp......then luffy will start crying, garp will punch him and he will say..''with those kind of sentiments a pirate will kill you in no time..'' those are 100% right spoils.....just remember this!!!!

abc1233
June 12, 2010, 04:21 PM
Surely people will get bored of it soon? :D
As an reader of Berserk I'm glad it's only 1-week breaks he keeps taking..

I hope next week will have Jinbei & Luffy talking, if he has finished smashing things up; maybe he will mention Arlong and we will find out what happened to the Sun Pirates, so we can come up with random theories on them as well as Dragon.

Luffy learnt a lot from getting his ass kicked by CP9 and Aokiji, and didn't show it until the next time he fought someone strong; I'm sure we will see the results of his experience fighting countless monsters in the war. I can't see him putting off going back to Sabaody just so he can train, he's a captain after all. Friends are more important than power in this story, even for someone who knows they need to get stronger. The only reason he delayed it to go after Ace was because it was life and death.
Please, no lame training arcs and more Strawhats. Robin at least, and probably Sanji and Franky, must have heard of the events at Marineford, and we need to see their reactions.
well luffy doesn't want power for the sake of it. He only developed the gears so he could protect his friends for a while longer and now that he realises that the gears aren't enough, he will most likely train before meeting his crew again, because in luffy's mind, unless if he gets stronger, he will lose more of the people close to him.

I thought he whispered something to luffy other than that which was off the panels.

tereta_foba
June 12, 2010, 04:21 PM

ace said that and something else to luffy.....just look at page 13 in 574 and you will see...

monkey D luffy
June 12, 2010, 04:48 PM
those 3 dots were to symbol a pause cuz ace ouldnt really talk well. he didnt whisper anything to luffy cuz he said that his voice was faint, if we "heard" what he said, we heard it all not just a part of it. luffy was shocked to see his brother dying in his hands

tereta_foba
June 12, 2010, 04:51 PM
yes but in the translation it doesnt make sence....he says ''i want u to listen what i say now
and tell it t the other guys...'' ''and then HE is the one who tells it to the other guys too so is there a gap or something?

k-dom
June 12, 2010, 05:07 PM
What he want Luffy to tell the other is 'thank you for loving me'. Only Luffy can hear him at that time since his voice is fading.
To me everything Ace said is known of us.

topkomputer
June 13, 2010, 02:11 AM
sabo may not have died.. he could have been saved by dragon at some point that we don't know and he could be part of the revolutionary

I personally don't think that Dragon will come back only to save sabo from death. He could do that in the first place when he met Sabo, if he want to bring sabo with him. But he didn't do that. I think Dragon has already set sailed. Unless a merman that help sabo since the city witness that the ship crumble.

Or this is Sabo's trick so his parent think that he has already died by the hand of Tenryubito. I thought he already know when Tenryu will come to his city, so he dare to face the danger so he could be released from the birdcage.

tereta_foba
June 13, 2010, 03:17 AM
im just focusing on the way, ace talks t luffy....the way oda and mangastream put those words create a gap in there...maybe someone that has english as his first language can give us some clues....and we will learn for sure what ace told in the coming chapters..

RezzieThaRapper
June 13, 2010, 05:22 AM
Ace told Luffy something he didn't want the marines to hear... that's why he said tell it to the guys afterwards... imo

But it could have something to do with something Sabo told him about the RA

goldb
June 13, 2010, 06:01 AM
No. Ace say "tell those guys later" because he couldn't speak properly and raise his voice. There's no other secret whispers or anything. It's not like when Itachi died on sasuke.

Has Ace's tattoo in relation to Sabo's signature been mentioned already? Sorry, but I haven't been on here for the last few days and I don't wanna go back or discuss it if it has.

deffkryz
June 13, 2010, 07:44 AM
im just focusing on the way, ace talks t luffy....the way oda and mangastream put those words create a gap in there...maybe someone that has english as his first language can give us some clues....and we will learn for sure what ace told in the coming chapters..

I think for native Japanese speakers or high-level foreign speakers that sentence is quite clear. The only gap Oda may have left was only for creating a little secret - which is now resolved with this flashback.

Furthermore, I wouldn't rely on Mangastream. They still have not corrected that part where Fossa stated that Luffy had the same "Sovereign haki" as "Redhair and Oyaji".

Has Ace's tattoo in relation to Sabo's signature been mentioned already? Sorry, but I haven't been on here for the last few days and I don't wanna go back or discuss it if it has.

There's a little link atop of each thread page "Search this thread" ;)

DLord.Van.Buuren
June 13, 2010, 09:52 AM
im assuming that from now on luffy will never turn his back to an enemy , he will sure have a conclusion from this flashback , and that was the only thing that grabbed my attention , when garp spoke about roger i felt a similarity between roger , luffy and ace .

monkey D luffy
June 13, 2010, 12:13 PM
i really liked how garp praised roger. also if someone still thinks dragon helped roger against leo ill be laughing at your face, the man destroyed a country after they said something on his crew. now i have much more respect for roger.

Ex-Shadow
June 13, 2010, 02:23 PM
i really liked how garp praised roger. also if someone still thinks dragon helped roger against leo ill be laughing at your face, the man destroyed a country after they said something on his crew. now i have much more respect for roger.

That's true. After saw Roger at chapter 0, I thought he'll be more amazing. It made me a little disappointed. Now, I changed my mind. Only a truly great man which could make their enemies praise them.

I think for native Japanese speakers or high-level foreign speakers that sentence is quite clear. The only gap Oda may have left was only for creating a little secret - which is now resolved with this flashback.

Furthermore, I wouldn't rely on Mangastream. They still have not corrected that part where Fossa stated that Luffy had the same "Sovereign haki" as "Redhair and Oyaji".

Actually, I prefer cnet's translation. I'd say his translation is 99% accurate for he is from England who is currently live in Japan. But, I don't think Redhair has a sovereign haki...

xPm
June 13, 2010, 03:27 PM

I fail to see how does roger destroying a country contradict dragon being in roger's crew.

Please elaborate.

Else I will be the one laughing at your face.

Gats
June 13, 2010, 03:27 PM
That's true. After saw Roger at chapter 0, I thought he'll be more amazing. It made me a little disappointed. Now, I changed my mind. Only a truly great man which could make their enemies praise them.

Actually, I prefer cnet's translation. I'd say his translation is 99% accurate for he is from England who is currently live in Japan. But, I don't think Redhair has a sovereign haki...

He has, even if the translation was not correct, it has been proven many times, each time he used it actually. How can you say that ?

deffkryz
June 13, 2010, 04:33 PM

I never wanted to offend some translators esp. not cnet, but that is a very old topic that was already cleared within less than a week after Mangastream posted their scan. So please read what I've posted a couple of weeks ago:

In the RAW the sentence to translate would be "オヤジや赤髪と同じ"覇王色"の覇気!! (http://mangahelpers.com/downloads/read-online/69767/2)" ("Oyaji ya Akagami to onaji 'Haoushoku' no Haki!!"). I don't get why that "Oyaji ya Akagami to onaji" part is missing in some scans (esp. Mangastream, Vizard Scanlations) since it's not that of complicated Japanese to translate, saying "The same as Pops and Red-Hair"...

No one's perfect - but that's an error that really needed to be fixed right away if I was able to find out what was wrong.

Freid
June 13, 2010, 04:47 PM
I know for a fact later on in the manga oda would pull off something retarded and say something like dragon is infact the strongest in the world and gives some b.s reason just for the sake of hyping dragon up more.....

Razh
June 13, 2010, 05:02 PM
He doesn't need to do it. It's more than evident already that Dragon is strong as hell. He's the #1 most wanted criminal in the world. That says everything. But then again, his father is Garp and his son is Luffy. That's about all the proof I need.

That's the difference between One Piece and Bleach. If you're not really dumb, you can tell that someone is really strong. You don't need Gin to tell you that Aizen is scary strong, because you can't see it so clearly at the moment.

HikaruYami
June 13, 2010, 08:50 PM
He doesn't need to do it. It's more than evident already that Dragon is strong as hell. He's the #1 most wanted criminal in the world. That says everything. But then again, his father is Garp and his son is Luffy. That's about all the proof I need.

That's the difference between One Piece and Bleach. If you're not really dumb, you can tell that someone is really strong. You don't need Gin to tell you that Aizen is scary strong, because you can't see it so clearly at the moment.

That's because strength measurements keep arbitrarily changing in bleach =.="

mr.danly
June 13, 2010, 10:54 PM
I know for a fact later on in the manga oda would pull off something retarded and say something like dragon is infact the strongest in the world and gives some b.s reason just for the sake of hyping dragon up more.....

this isn't bleach, dude. When does Oda ever pull that kind of crap? I can't recall a single instance in the manga when Oda contradicted some previous statement to hype up a character more.

Uriel
June 13, 2010, 11:34 PM
In fact Oda has always been careful about power and how to measure it. Even Shichibukai level is not clear only by their bounties.
Characters are strong or not depending on the situation and the enemy, and in the case of DF and as Crocodile mentions, depeindg on how the abilities counter-act each other.

If you pay attention, most of the most powerful characters haven't really shown themselves at the point of making an ending point for Luffy to reach/surpass.
They are just powerful and that's everything you know. Well it's as Razh mentions, the solely fact that He's the most wanted criminal is enough.

And a final side note; I think that stating guys as "the most powerful" or making a top 5 or that shit is retarded in OP. You can tell what level is strong, yes, but not rank them effectively. Mostly because what I said: there are many factors and depends a lot how interact the abilities with each other.

Razh
June 14, 2010, 03:18 AM
That's one of the reasons why I love One Piece. There are no databooks with those retarded graphs showing character strengths and weaknesses. A person's ability can vary depending on the situation and setting as well as the opponent/s.