PDA

View Full Version : Games The RPG thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

benelori
June 27, 2010, 09:09 AM
They are few RPG's posted here, so I thought gathering them here would be a good idea. So info, news, or discussions or any sort about RPG games from the ancient Diablo series until Assassin's Creed 2, featuring titles like Gothic(which is my favorite) and even MMOs. Knock URselves out, it's a wonderful gaming genre.

My favorite is the Gothic series, which ended in a total fail with Forsaken Gods, but will resurrect itself with Arcania: A Gothic Tale. This is the trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DGO28MXtLM).

I'm currently playing The Witcher and Risen.

riki
August 04, 2010, 11:52 AM
Yay, another RPGer! :hi5

Right now I'm playing Dragon Quest IX, which is pretty fun to play. :amuse

What kind of RPGs do you like: action RPG, strategy RPG, etc?

Phenom
August 11, 2010, 05:38 PM
I play RPG's (not many. I'd like to expand on it some day), but I can't really get into them the way I want to right now with me being in school and whatnot (graduation right around the corner... Dec 2010). Depending on the game I can easily get side tracked and forget about doing homework lol.

Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King has side tracked me quite a few times because I like it's simple yet deep gameplay mechanics. Learning moves by distributing skill points seem far more rewarding to me. I haven't finished this game I it is my favorite RPG at the moment.

I also have a soft spot for Final Fantasy 8 considering it was the first RPG I've ever played, and it's the only RPG I've bought and sold 5 times. I know it gets a lot of flack for its characters and junction system but I enjoyed the junction system and I find Squall to be very likable because I was definately relating to the guy back when I first played it (around 2004-2005). The card game is pretty addicting once you get the hang of it, but it's really annoying with the random, plus and same rule. I'm still trying to get used to plus and same. Being at a low level and going through the game makes things far too easy, but I also enjoyed it a lot more considering I like dominating lol.

I've played a few others (Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 7 and Tales of the Abyss), but I don't really hold them as high as I do DQ8 and FF8.

There are some I'm looking forward to playing after I graduate though. Mainly the Shin Megami Tensei games. I've played about maybe 10 minutes of Nocturne and liked what I played, but ended up selling it in the end. I don't really want to bring my spirituality into this, but that sort of plays a role why I'm having a hard time getting the games lol. My conscience won't let me buy a game where you team up with Lucifer/Satan lol. (I joke about it a lot, but I'm still working on it lol) I've seen video walkthroughs of Persona 3 and 4 and it looks very similar to that of Dragon Quest 8 where it forces you to rely on buffs and debuffs and I dig those a lot. What's keeping me away from P3 is the thought of not being able to control your party. What's keeping me away from all is the long dungeons. Watching it on youtube, the dungeons seemed to go on far longer than it should've.

I'm also interested in Mass Effect 1 and 2. I don't really play western RPG's (I don't know why), but I have played Jade Empire which I liked, but didn't care for the character options.. (That's probably why I don't really play western rpgs)

But that's pretty much the gist of where I am with the genre.

riki
August 11, 2010, 06:10 PM
Dragon Quest VIII is a great game. The gameplay is very engaging and I really like the skill point system. I still need to finish it though. :darn

I haven't tried any western RPG either. I don't find them interesting.

Hystzen
August 12, 2010, 10:02 AM
Final Fantasy 8 is best ever final fantasy imo..it perfect characters,plot n combat system.

Dragon Quest i enjoyed altho grinding an hour or 2 to gain 2 or 3 levels annoyed. and the plot kinda died in last half..n end boss was quite easy

Mass effect 1 is good game with some replay value not tried 2 yet as xbox broke.

Dragon Age is a decent Wrpg.

the last Rpg i enjoyed was either FF13 or The Last Remnant..i think i prefer Last Remnant tho fav rpg from the next gen consoles

benelori
August 13, 2010, 05:55 PM
Yay, another RPGer! :hi5

Right now I'm playing Dragon Quest IX, which is pretty fun to play. :amuse

What kind of RPGs do you like: action RPG, strategy RPG, etc?

Thx riki...Ur the best;)...good to know U like RPGs as well...though it seems to me that UR a console gamer, which I will never be

Well, U said that U don't really like western rpgs...well I don't like eastern ones...they seem too flashy to me...action RPGs are my favorite though...first RPG was The Summoner, then Gothic and I became a huge fan of the series...

I just bought a new PC, so I was finally able to play these last ones, like Assassin's Creed, or Mass Effect, The Witcher...I'm basically living my dream with all these awesome games...I didn't like this Dragon Age though...the controls suck and the storyline is disappointing...

My perfect RPG would be a 3rd person game on PC, based on a manga...Naruto or Bleach would be pretty good, though I would certainly like a Ghost in the Shell series or something...
[hr]

I'm also interested in Mass Effect 1 and 2. I don't really play western RPG's (I don't know why), but I have played Jade Empire which I liked, but didn't care for the character options.. (That's probably why I don't really play western rpgs)

U should definitely try it...the 1st installment's storyline is really great, personally I was surprised by certain developments...it was a pleasure to play that game, and I liked the top graphics in it...mass effect 2 is basically a set up for the 3rd one, so I liked 1 more, but it's worth playing every one of them

riki
August 13, 2010, 06:40 PM
Yeah, I heard that Dragon Age's storyline was very cliche and that it was just Mass Effect in medieval time. :oh

You're a PC user? That's cool. I know that some PC users are annoyed because game developers are mostly making games for the console systems and not for PC.

That would be cool if they make an anime RPG. I don't know if there are any because most of the anime games I saw are fighting games.

benelori
August 14, 2010, 08:11 AM
Yeah same here...or at least they have a skills system or some sort of levelup system, but most games are just for fighting, and most of them or more like every game is for consoles...

Yep I'm a PC gamer alright, though I tried out PS2 back in the day...I just like good graphics, and with PC that is available...
Do you know of any RPGs for PC that are in japanese...it would really help a lot...

riki
August 15, 2010, 11:35 AM
Unfortunately, it looks like most Japanese companies make RPGs for the console systems. Most of them are MMORPGs such as Final Fantasy XIV.

Phenom
August 15, 2010, 09:04 PM
Hmm... Most japanese companies do make RPG's on the console for sure, but most of their games are more traditional rpg's. (Final Fantasy X, XII, Dragon Quest) Most of your MMO's are handled by other companies and those are usually on the PC (and I think the Xbox 360)

Xsoteria
August 21, 2010, 10:41 AM
Of the 3rd person RPGs I liked Fable and KOTOR the best and the games are really legendary.

I'm one of the few people who liked the FF X the most out of the final fantasies, so don't shoot me xD

The best RPG I've ever played is without a doubt Baldur's Gate series. Though I don't think people who like eastern rpgs will like it all that much. They're missing out though! :P

benelori
August 23, 2010, 02:19 PM
KOTOR FTW...both installments...it was just awesome...and there are other star wars legends like the one with Katarn(forgot the title) and this Force Unleashed is pretty good as well...

Phenom
August 28, 2010, 01:33 AM
One series I've been curious about for the longest time is the Suikoden series. I haven't played any of them, but I currently have my eye on Suikoden 3 and 5. S5 just looks like a game I can enjoy from beginning to end and then S3 just looks interesting. I'm looking for more input about the games before making my decision on which one to get.

Hystzen
August 28, 2010, 06:43 AM
ive got back into playing Valykria Chronicles on ps3 again..maybe coz the 2nd one is out in september for psp..love art syle n it fun game it different for a RPG to.

riki
August 28, 2010, 09:08 AM
My brother played a little bit of Valkyrie Chronicle and loved it. Too bad he's busy with other games but he planned to come back to it.

Have you tried the demo for Valkyrie Chronicles 2 yet?

Hystzen
August 28, 2010, 09:59 AM
naw i only got a 2gb mem stick for psp n it full of Metal gear peace walker n final fantasy dissidia n crisis core sav files no room..il prob just buy it when it out n get a new memstick dont use psp that much now so get me using it again

chaoscry
August 31, 2010, 11:20 AM
so, there was a thread like this, let me join:)
i'd like to play resonance of fate (the freakin' acrobatic RPG):)
FFVIII was good too, but i prefer FFIX

Phenom
August 31, 2010, 11:23 PM
I've been meaning to try out FFIX but could never force myself to sit down and play it (or keep it).

While I am curious about the Suikoden games, I'm also curious about Valkyrie Profile 2 and Persona 4 (despite my initial thoughts/setbacks about the game lol). Any input about those games? Trying to get as much feedback as possible before I do a blind buy.

Xsoteria
September 01, 2010, 07:28 AM
Valkyrie Profile 2 has mixed feelings, according to my experience. Most of my friends loved it and so did I, but some disliked it.

IMO the game is the best looking game PS2 has, and that alone should be the reason enough to give it a shot. It has a lot of characters, and I mean a lot, probably more than you'll ever use, but it's done pretty well since most of those characters are spirits which you can level up then "release" and get a cool useful item instead, while your regular characters are about as numerous as they are in other RPGs.

Plot is ok, in the beginning it's not explained very well, but as you go deeper into the game and towards the end it gets a lot better and things start falling in place.

The combat is bloody awesome, it's so savage and beautiful at the same time. Lots of different enemies, lots of bosses, crapload of items... The number of abilities, attacks, special abilities, special attacks... It's greater than most of the RPGs I've ever played.

The bad things I've heard people complain about (my friends), were mainly concerning the plot (initial plot) which is just blurry rather than bad, as well as difficulty at times (which can be overcome by a little grind and then returning). Potential issues could be reaching secret chests since some of them require some tricky jumping and some brain usage.

I never played Persona, but I definitely plan to, since people have said a lot about the series, comparing it to FF's quality all the time.

Either way, if I were you I'd go for both of these. :P

riki
September 01, 2010, 12:59 PM
The Persona series is really good. I highly recommend it. :thumbs

If you're curious about the game play, you should check out MasterLL's playlist (http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterLL#grid/user/88EE209A948816A2) of the game (http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterLL#grid/user/963D9BB40F61C44B).

Hystzen
September 05, 2010, 05:23 PM
if you have a PSP try
Valkyria chronicles 2

it a solid RPG n nice art style..

only few hours into it but i defo worth a rent if people not wana take a risk with it...plus the main character is funny n likeable

Queenofmuffins
October 03, 2010, 10:25 AM
Yay, an RPG thread! \o/
I'm going to have to check Dragon Quest out! I've seen it for sale a few times but never got around to picking it up. :3

Probably my favourite RPG has to be Oblivion... I'd also reccomend Blue Dragon or Baldur's Gate! Both are excellent games.

Hystzen
October 04, 2010, 05:08 PM
just ordered Renosance of Fate for ps3 £18 n will be here prob wednesday.

looks a cool RPG with a mad twist...it also slighty parody of JRPG

riki
October 04, 2010, 05:19 PM
I hope you'll enjoy it. It seems to have decent reviews (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonance_of_Fate#Reception). ^^

Queenofmuffins
October 04, 2010, 08:33 PM
just ordered Renosance of Fate for ps3 £18 n will be here prob wednesday.

looks a cool RPG with a mad twist...it also slighty parody of JRPG

Let us know how it is! It's another one I've seen around but haven't really been interested in *just* enough to buy it... :tem

Hystzen
October 09, 2010, 11:23 AM
:crying still not arrived...seems like british post been poo again..play.com says it posted on tuesday ..it should been here yesturday...

:(
[hr]
IT turned up today..Yeahhh

good game so far..5 hours into...bit of mind boggler at first as you got to go to a aren to learn the combat mehanics or you in trouble..combat is fun reminds me of watching John Woo films flying tru air with guns.

not much plot but it appears slowly and lots to do..enjoyable fun at moment.

i wasted so much money buying clothes for my party memebers ..very addictive :D

Roflkopt3r
October 17, 2010, 10:09 PM
I played Risen a while ago and it was really really boring. It felt like playing a tutorial/preview level for 20 hours, and then the game was over. Damn I really don't get why people ever liked Risen/Gothic. Last good RPG I remember was Dragon Ages, which was a little too easy imo but very very enjoyable, I really loved the game :)
The addon was even much easier then, also kinda short and didn't feel as cool as the original, but it was quite ok.

Right now I'm on pins and needles for Diablo 3! After reading Berserk I want to create a Barbarian and slice through masses of weird creatures!
I couldn't really get myself to play Diablo 2 again, so I'm playing a little Titan Quest. It's not very special and a little boring though :(
I have great memories of Diablo 1, but I couldn't play it again. It's sooo annoying because the character moves with small steps and is really really slow but it had a great atmosphere ^^

jezmyr
December 09, 2010, 11:21 AM
well there is this ONE PIECE Browser based online game guys check them out click my sig if you want to see

kakashi919
December 10, 2010, 11:04 AM
I was playing Persona 3 on PSP. Great game, good story,a lot to do. Reached really far in the game and then my save file got corrupted -_-;

Decided to play some really old genesis RPGs like Shinning Force 1 and 2 :D

riki
December 10, 2010, 03:31 PM
Are you playing as the male or female protagonist? That really stinks that your saved file got corrupted. :darn

kakashi919
December 10, 2010, 05:31 PM
Male. I always play with the male first if I have a choice. Except in pokemon, cuz the female designs are always better :XD

My brother was pissed, cuz his file also got corrupted lol. It's not the first time though. Restarted that game about 3 times before lol

Roflkopt3r
December 12, 2010, 02:35 PM
I think I usually play with female characters, at least when it suits better. In WoW for example I always chose male Tauren as it definitly suited the race much better.
http://wowhandwerk.onlinewelten.com/images/wow/races/tauren.gif

In many rpgs, most male characters have quite an ugly face while the female faces are decent at least.

steelwingcrash1
December 22, 2010, 09:10 AM
Since you guys are onto RPG, I really suggest playing Dragon Quest IV. The map and the characters are all fun. The story line is also very good.

Grandia 2 is also very good. For me, it's a step up than its sequel Grandia 3 (still good, though, but 2 was a lot better).

kakashi919
December 22, 2010, 10:17 AM
I dunno why, but I just cant stand the Dragon Quest series. I a few of them and just cant stand playing them -_-; Never tried Grandia though. I'm playing over golden sun :XD

steelwingcrash1
December 22, 2010, 11:06 PM
Well, the first few parts tend to suck, but if you focus on the story line more, I think you'll appreciate it, too. xD

Hystzen
December 23, 2010, 11:50 AM
only one played is cursed king for ps2..enjoyed it til half way when level up ment hour of grinding for 1 level..and the plot just went missing finished it never went for a 2nd run . not played one since

g0dzax
January 16, 2011, 03:38 PM
This year seems to be pretty big : titles like Dragon Age 2 , The Witcher 2 , Mass Effect 3 have been announced.Personally,I expect The Witcher 2 to be GOTY since the first one was really cool,it had a really dark atmosphere and an aura of maturity.From the trailers,the second one will be built not on Aurora Engine,but on an engine that they developed.This could mean that the second entry in The Witcher saga will no longer have enourmous loading times at every door.Also,the graphics seem to be improved.About the gameplay,I shall remain pessimist,even though it seems to be improved.Maybe this time,when you run from a monster and it slashes the air with it's claws,your HP won't be drained lol.Also,the attacks seem more natural,they hit the enemy,it doesn't seem to be the clasic swing sword,pierce air,magically drain hp even though it didn't hit the enemy.Another aspect would be the maturity,maybe this time we will get something bigger than just a card :wub

A masterpiece is also Planescape:Torment.A very old game,yet considered to be the best RPG ever made.I also played it and I have to admit,it's story is really awesome,plus some quests are really just awesome.

Launch Dates:

The Witcher 2 - Assasins Of The Kings 17 May 2011

Dragon Age 2 - Europe : 11 Mar 2011
- USA : 08 Mar 2011

Mass Effect 3 - Q4 2011

steelwingcrash1
January 17, 2011, 10:48 AM
I really hate to say this but most games these days focus on the graphics more. Of course, graphics DO count in highly attracting players to try out the game. However, most game developers seem to forget that the most important (I believe) are the depth and intricacy of the story.

What I am trying to say is that developers usually go for the physical attraction of players. Developers noticed that the better graphics will attract more curious players. "Hey, the graphics look good. Let's buy this one." And when players start to play the game, they would eventually feel disappointed at all midway because the story/features were not enticing at all.

The bottom line is, instead of focusing merely on the better graphics, developers should focus more on how the game is played, what makes the game tick, etc. instead of focusing on merely the face value of the game.

This is only my personal opinion because most games I buy these days are full load of crap. I really dig the early days of the gaming system such as Final Fantasy 7 and 8 wherein the graphics were not that graphically attractive as compared now, but look, their stories have become timeless legends for us that even transcended for, say, 10 years, I think.

Similarly, Dragon Quest 8 from the PS2, is also a very good story for me. Despite poor graphics (like Dragon Ball's), I was pretty satisfied with how the story progressed because the enjoyment level was totally fun.

Grandia 2 was also a game you can consider to have not-so-fancy graphics when you first look at it. But once you reconsider playing the game, you'll eventually lead yourself to a story full of religious controversies and the like.

Of course, there are also some which have successfully combined ASTOUNDING graphics with ASTOUNDING game play like Final Fantasy 10. It seems even before the PS2 was released, this game's story was highly thought of and planned. Try it and you will not even be disappointed one bit provided you like RPG's.

Again, this is only my personal opinion and I hold no grudges to anyone especially the developers.

Roflkopt3r
January 17, 2011, 11:05 AM
Yeah I totally get what you mean, but besides the story (which often turn into hollywood cliche stories more and more) there also is a technical aspect:

In many old games there were special tricks which, so to say, abused the game mechanics. In Starcraft: Broodwar there was the "moving shot" for example, which good players could execute by briefly pressing the "hold" command hotkey, causing the unit to decelerate and shoot, and giving a new move order right away. This way a unit was able to shoot without actually decelerating, it looked like they were shooting while continuisly moving.

Or, in Counter-Strike: pressing the "duck" button quickly twice in a row resulted in making a weird kind of little jump. Repeating that quickly while running resulted into running at almost full speed but surpressing foot steps to a minimum. Also came in handy as a great method to run around corners to avoid getting hit in the head right away.
Just like in Starcraft, it's actually a bug.

Old games used to have a lot of these actual abuses, which, however, defined the way these games were played greatly. Many of such bugs became implemented as actual features into some games as well.
In old Quake for example, people became faster and faster when jumping forward continuisly (this required very, very precise timing though! A player had to hit the jump button right away when hitting the ground again, a misstiming resulted in total loss of speed). This was later implemented into Quake 2 and Quake 3.

benelori
January 17, 2011, 12:17 PM
This year seems to be pretty big : titles like Dragon Age 2 , The Witcher 2 , Mass Effect 3 have been announced.Personally,I expect The Witcher 2 to be GOTY since the first one was really cool,it had a really dark atmosphere and an aura of maturity.From the trailers,the second one will be built not on Aurora Engine,but on an engine that they developed.This could mean that the second entry in The Witcher saga will no longer have enourmous loading times at every door.Also,the graphics seem to be improved.About the gameplay,I shall remain pessimist,even though it seems to be improved.Maybe this time,when you run from a monster and it slashes the air with it's claws,your HP won't be drained lol.Also,the attacks seem more natural,they hit the enemy,it doesn't seem to be the clasic swing sword,pierce air,magically drain hp even though it didn't hit the enemy.Another aspect would be the maturity,maybe this time we will get something bigger than just a card :wub

A masterpiece is also Planescape:Torment.A very old game,yet considered to be the best RPG ever made.I also played it and I have to admit,it's story is really awesome,plus some quests are really just awesome.

Launch Dates:

The Witcher 2 - Assasins Of The Kings 17 May 2011

Dragon Age 2 - Europe : 11 Mar 2011
- USA : 08 Mar 2011

Mass Effect 3 - Q4 2011
Mass Effect 3 and The Witcher 2 will be the crown jewels for me...but I'm most excited about Mass Effect
The story is awesome, the graphics and the feeling that the graphics are transmitting is brilliant...I just like go sightseeing with the Mako or the Hammerhead and watch beautiful valleys, awesome landscapes...this third one seems to be focused on earth, so I'm looking forward to it:wtf

kakashi919
January 17, 2011, 09:16 PM
Dragon Age 2 is on top of my list. One was an amazing game... I don't really like these kind of RPGs, but DA was really great and I enjoyed it a lot. Never played any Mass Effect or The Witcher, so I don't really know if I'll be getting them.

I'll also be looking forward to Dead Space 2, even though I haven't finished 1 yet :XD

benelori
January 18, 2011, 07:16 AM
If you like 3rd person shooters, then Mass Effect should be okay...it's mainly a 3rd person shooter, with lots of RPG elements incorporated...the graphics are amazing and the controls...well there are some annoying stuff in the first installment, but the 2nd repaired them...

g0dzax
January 18, 2011, 04:20 PM
Yeah,Mass Effect 3 seems to be a very good candidate to the GOTY.Also,it combines amazing graphics with a very good story and optional quests.However,since it's a 3rd person shooter with RPG elements,I don't think that the gameplay can be improved too much,it will be the classic point and shoot.Maybe they'll introduce hand-to-hand combat and melee combat,it would be awesome.Also,all of the Mass Effect games are really well optimized(Dragon Age too)I could play them on high graphics with a relatively weak computer.And yeah,since it's about Earth,I expect various quests related to earth and other stuff,it's gonna be awesome.Maybe until then I'll upgrade my computer so I can enjoy the graphics.Then again,since it's the last part of the Mass Effect games,they must introduce some new elements.One thing that I hope,after launching the game,I won't hear them talking about Mass Effect 4.The games are great,but I think that they are just interested in making money,not something original.
Though my favourite one still remains The Witcher 2.I just keep watching the trailers,this game will be awesome.
Another RPG VERY VERY promising : Diablo 3 .A gameplay : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sssu_9DiW4g&feature=fvst .Diablo 2 was just epic,and I expect this one to be another epic.Expected launch date : Q4 2011.
I recently finished an RPG : Divinity 2 The Dragon Knight Saga.By some unknown magic,I simply didn't even know that this game existed lol.But,I stumbled across it when I was bored.I was amazed by the graphics,very good,though the story is not that great,it is decent enough.I spent more than 60 hours playing this game which I recommend for everyone.Very good graphics,decent gameplay,decent storyline,decent sound.One of the best moments in the games is actually in the latest part of the game,close to the ending.
A trailer to this game : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aYXDWXFYFk.

Roflkopt3r
January 27, 2011, 04:23 PM
I'm currently playing Mass Effect 2.

It's disappointing me a little bit in the RPG part to be honest. The "skill trees" aren't worth to be called such, it's really down to the very basics. I think the upgrade system is fine though.

Still, it has a very good gameplay and is really enjoyable to play. It keeps me motivated to play on and has good characters (even if it's perhaps even too much?). However, I had liked if it would deliver a stronger RPG focus. I think the combat system itself is fine -even if it's very easy for experienced shooter players to deliver lots of headshots and to get through very easily even on highest difficulty- but it might've profited of more different spells.

I'm also not much of a fan of this kind of health/shield system. For those who didn't play it: There are four kinds of health/shields (Health, Armor, Shields, Barrier) which all pretty much work the same way. Characters have rather few survivability, but regenerate in a few seconds once they didn't suffer any damage for approximately five seconds. This counts for every type of health.
Armor, Shields and Barriers also block certain spells. Basically every spell works against health, but many don't against one or more types of shields etc. I don't specifically like it. Once an enemy is down to health only, he's dead after one or two headshots anyways.

As a player with a lot of experience in shooter games I picked the soldier class. I don't see how any other class could keep up with the pure damage output of a sniper/assault rifle with fire ammo (+60% weapon damage over 3 seconds) and that slow-motion skill (which pretty much guarantees 100% headshots for the time active). Just adding skills like +Assault weapon damage and +50% headshot damage for sniper rifles, and the highest difficulty is a piece of cake.

Zeltrax
February 18, 2011, 07:00 PM
Not sure if I'm really looking forward to Dragon Age 2.
The first one didn't impress me like I expected and the writing isn't that good either, I don't know if I'll be getting 2 until the reviews are up.

Star Ocean is a game I recommend to check it out, esp Star Ocean 2. I think the star ocean series deserves more attention :darn.
Well, for people who played the Last hope..it was okay, not really good in the story development but the previous 2 games were great.

I'm the kind that chooses story over graphics, so yeah, the story is a crucial factor and is also one of the reason why I enjoyed Final Fantasy 7 so much and also the prequel, Crisis Core. Whoa, those 2 were so long ago.

I'm also not one of those that likes Dragon Quest because of the frustrating battle system and characters that I'll never warm up too.

Which means that gameplay is another factor for me, as long as the gameplay is good, I'll be sitting through the game for a long time.
Take Zelda series on the ds for example, never really like the combat system the first time but the simplicity grew on me and the puzzles+rpg made me love the game so much.
Looking forward to Ocarina of time on the 3DS ;) !

I also heard Persona 3 being mentioned and I agree that it is epic. Just finished it months ago with the boy character, never got to using the female's one though. Sometimes I wonder when they will ever release a new Persona game.
For people who enjoyed P3 and own a DS, I recommend you to check out Shin megami tensei Devil Survivor, it's very similar to P3 IMO and it's a great game.

riki
February 18, 2011, 07:08 PM
Atlus mentioned that Persona 5 is under development (http://www.1up.com/news/atlus-confirms-persona-5-development). It will probably be out in Japan this year or next year.

As for Devil's Survivor, I'm planning to wait to get the 3DS version.

kakashi919
February 18, 2011, 08:14 PM
A 3ds Devil Survivor? They're making one?
I'm actually playing the one for DS right now,it's quite a good game.

I'm not really looking forward to Persona 5,since I haven't beaten any of them yet and never played 4 either...

riki
February 18, 2011, 09:18 PM
Yep, it's called Devil Survivor: Overclock (http://www.siliconera.com/tag/devil-survivor-overclock/). It will include a new scenario, new demons, and voice acting.

You should try out Persona 4. It's pretty awesome! :thumbs

kakashi919
February 25, 2011, 07:32 PM
Started Radiant Historia,and I must say,it's definitely one of the best games of the year that I've played. They really did a great job with the story and characters. I definitely recommend this if anyone is looking for an RPG for DS.

steelwingcrash1
February 27, 2011, 04:21 AM
I'm playing Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness in my psp right now and I'm currently enjoying it. Hope this continues. xD

Zeltrax
March 01, 2011, 05:49 AM
Started Radiant Historia,and I must say,it's definitely one of the best games of the year that I've played. They really did a great job with the story and characters. I definitely recommend this if anyone is looking for an RPG for DS.

Playing this too. Currently at the part when I have to use the sewers to enter the castle in Standard history, for the other history, I'm at the part where the enemy is attacking the sand fortress.
Pretty much just started, haven't had enough time to continue since the weekend :darn.
I agree, it's quite a new way to play rpg.

kakashi919
March 01, 2011, 11:00 AM
I'm playing Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness in my psp right now and I'm currently enjoying it. Hope this continues. xD

I liked that game... I kept going back to level 1 to get stronger, reached back to level 700 at some point,so I though I was strong enough for anything. Then I ran into some pretty badass enemies lol

Playing this too. Currently at the part when I have to use the sewers to enter the castle in Standard history, for the other history, I'm at the part where the enemy is attacking the sand fortress.
Pretty much just started, haven't had enough time to continue since the weekend :darn.
I agree, it's quite a new way to play rpg.

My brother is playing it also,and from what I understand,every one's choices have different effects on the story. His first choice was different from mine, but I thought it would end up the same as my story at some point,but it's completely different from mine. That's one of the reason I really like this game :tem

benelori
March 01, 2011, 11:46 AM
Someone told me about Divinity 2: Ego Draconis...is it worth playing, cuz I heard is one longass game

zelllogan
March 04, 2011, 06:09 PM
Someone told me about Divinity 2: Ego Draconis...is it worth playing, cuz I heard is one longass game

Yes, it's a great game. I bought it mainly because it was made in Belgium. I didn't expect such a complete game. It was really well made but it's old school. The only originality is the transformation in Dragon (really great by the way) which comes very late in the game. Scenario & side quests really are at a very good level.

Note that there were some annoying bugs (all solvable but when you don't know it ...) ... game refusing to be played in 1680*1050 for example (you need to update a file manually) ...

The release of Ego Dragonis was rushed ... it's the reason Dragon Knight Saga followed ...

Ego dragonis is only the main original bugged game. If you buy Dragon Knight Saga , you got Ego Dragonis (with most bugs corrected , improved gameplay & graphics !!!) + the addon & it's the same price (on steam) !!! And honestly, the real ending is at the end of the addon.

For me, the only real drawback: Dragon age 2 coming out next week ...

benelori
March 09, 2011, 12:05 PM
I see...I saw videos on youtube...is the character movement as bad as it seemed or as those comments made it out to be? How's the gameplay...hack'n slash or maybe some combos? I really want to know, before I get it patch it and all that...

I didn't finish Dragon Age, yet, but I'm pretty drawn to the story...the gameplay is a bit stiff, but it's well thought out, with a huge importance on tactics...so I'm liking it so far...I think dragon age 2 will be pretty good as well

zelllogan
March 09, 2011, 12:39 PM
About the character movement, you learn some moves during the game. You start as someone who almost can't jump or avoid anything ... but later on, you'll be much more agile

I think this video is representative of the gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTeEuo5B-8g&feature=player_embedded
I don't call this a hack & slash :).

NB: In the DKS edition, I still had some annoying bugs like the 1680*1050 bug (for which a solution can be found easily on the web) & one place where an ennemy didn't showed up in a side quest. I sent a mail to larian studio with my saved data & they sent me a corrected saved data two days later. Normally it should have been fixpacked now.

Roflkopt3r
March 09, 2011, 01:07 PM
About the character movement, you learn some moves during the game. You start as someone who almost can't jump or avoid anything ... but later on, you'll be much more agile

I think this video is representative of the gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTeEuo5B-8g&feature=player_embedded
I don't call this a hack & slash :).

That actually looks anything but cool in how overdone it is :&

riki
March 23, 2011, 03:28 PM
Atlus just announced Devil Survivor 2 (http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/03/23/devil_survivor_2_details/) for the DS.

It seems to have the same concept like the first one except with different characters.
[hr]
More info (http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/23/devil-survivor-2-has-many-more-main-characters-than-the-last-game/) on Devil Survivor 2 is up.

AlB
April 10, 2011, 03:58 PM
I think dragon age 2 will be pretty good as well

:crying
I thought so tooooooooooooooo whaaaaaa :crying :crying

DA2 has nothing on Origins, unfortunately. And in video games sequel must always be better than its predecessor, otherwise what's the point, right? I'm just warning you not to get your hype up too much, though who knows: maybe you'll like it.

Origins is the best RPG I have ever played. I honestly recommend following it to the end and playing all its DLCs and Expansion. Have you reached Landsmeet yet, btw?

Roflkopt3r
April 11, 2011, 10:08 AM
:crying
I thought so tooooooooooooooo whaaaaaa :crying :crying

DA2 has nothing on Origins, unfortunately. And in video games sequel must always be better than its predecessor, otherwise what's the point, right? I'm just warning you not to get your hype up too much, though who knows: maybe you'll like it.

Origins is the best RPG I have ever played. I honestly recommend following it to the end and playing all its DLCs and Expansion. Have you reached Landsmeet yet, btw?

Na, it really must not.
Just play an awesome game and think "Hey, why doesn't this game continue 30 hours longer with that awesome gameplay and quality :(" and you realise that a sequel only needs to live up to the old standards :D

I didn't even play DA2 yet because I felt it failing already when I heard that they're going to have a fixed hero now instead of a self created character. Such a drastic change in the basic concept never goes without more changes, and more changes rarely ever go without a disappointment, especially for a game with a not incredibly long developement time.
Blizzard for example always has incredibly long developement times and whatever they do and change, it's still great.

AlB
April 11, 2011, 02:02 PM
Meh, I kept my hopes up till the end, though :notrust
Here's some interesting moment: Knight-Commander Meredith of Templars asked me to hunt down three apostates and I said "No", said "go **** yourself", I don't do your dirty job" or smth like that and what do you know.... I still had to do the quest - so much for choices :notrust It's the same as if you had said "no" to andrastian dwarf in Orzammar and still would have gotten his damn quest!

Oh well, at least they modified the dialogue wheel, and I no longer have to fear for my Shepard Hawke to say "F**K off" instead of "leave me alone, please".

Completed it second time only for the sake of importing saves to DA3, which I hope will be better than this.
Honestly, they just shouldn't have made DA:Origins such an awesome game LOL.

I also hope that Mass Effect 3 will compensate.

riki
April 11, 2011, 02:58 PM
They're making a Persona 4 anime (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-04-11/persona-4-role-playing-game-gets-tv-anime) :wtf

Zeltrax
April 12, 2011, 04:13 AM
I would like a persona 3 one more just because I didn't play 4.
sorry for being selfish :XD

I hope the adaption will be a huge success, if I remember, trinity soul wasn't as good but then it wasn't an adaption either.

Anyway, good news :yay!

cracker
April 12, 2011, 08:25 AM
Rpgs are a genre I truly enjoy, sometimes you just like to get away from reality and help save world/galaxy/universe you know? lol

Most recent Rpg I've played was Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne (LOL...replay)

Most recent new rpg I've played was FF 13...waiting on Katrine to come across

redcorpse
April 12, 2011, 12:34 PM
i really really love rpgs .. i mostly play rpgs
i enjoy the smt-games, p3 and p4's social aspect is annoying though

cracker
April 14, 2011, 11:17 AM
i really really love rpgs .. i mostly play rpgs
i enjoy the smt-games, p3 and p4's social aspect is annoying though

You're a chick, the idea of dating 3-5 girls at once wasn't probably all that appealing lol

But yeah it was hard but also interesting and for me a welcomed change and it didn't exactly take away from the storyline or anything

g0dzax
April 15, 2011, 02:18 PM
Finished Dragon Age 2 twice now.Got to say,I'm kinda dissappointed about Dragon Age 2.I agree with AlB,they shouldn't have made Origins so great,they should've known that there's the risk that DA 2 will not rise up to the expectations of the fans of DA:O.And to be honest,IMHO it didn't rise to my expectations.

First thing I'm gonna talk about is the graphic part of the game.IMO it is not a huge difference between DA:O and DA 2.Minor changes there and there,but mostly,it's the same graphics as in DA:O.Improved by a little bit,however even though it's been improved little,it requires quite a powerful pc to run at max details.The only MAJOR thing that made me a little bit mad was the fact that almost EVERY location in DA 2 is THE SAME >.<' .And I really mean it,every door,windows,whatsover is the same.Every freakin' dungeon is the same,doesn't matter you enter a dungeon in Kirkwall or enter a dungeon outside the town(forgot that name's place),it's the same.Sometimes,at first you might notice that it's not the same...well,cuz it's not.Some dungeons (or places)are INVERTED,yeah just like that.I first noticed when I had finished killing everyone in a dungeon and exited it.Upon entering another dungeon,I freakin' entered the dungeon through the exact place I exited the last dungeon.Freakin' awesome.Not.

Second,the gameplay.This is where the improvement is most noticeable.The attacks are a bit more diversed,and they're not so monotone like in DA:O (play with a mage in DA:O and then play with a mage in DA 2 and you'll notice the differences).Overall,the gameplay was improved,yet still one thing I missed dearely in DA 2 are the spells combos.Always playing a mage in games,I like to combine my spells,to be as devastative as possible.However,in DA 2 we no longer have the ability to combine spells and such,instead a new system has been implemented : cross-class combo.Basically(just like the name says) it's a combo you can do with different classes(eg: mage uses spells,leaves enemy disoriented -> warrior uses ability which inflicts 50% damage on disoriented enemies, and so on).A poor system,since the cross-class combo can only be used ONCE (meaning,after the warrior strikes the disoriented enemy,he's no longer a valid target for cross-class combo),a one-hit combo.Lame.

The music and the sounds within the game were,IMHO,pretty useless.I only heard music when fighting(wonder why the rest of the game,when I wasn't fighting,I didn't hear a single music),and they're...ok for the atmosphere of the game.Not too diversed,I think I heard in a session of playing @5 hours the same music fifty times.Not too good.But overall,the sound part of the game was mediocre.Just like the game itself.

Now,about the last thing I'll discuss: the atmosphere of the game.Almost non existant,IMHO.There is no sense of rush(like in DA:O),there is no sense of choice(regardless of your choices,you end up on the same ending,there's only 1 ending),you might as well kill everyone and feel no remorse,since the ending is the same.Also,it's not got that ....eerie atmosphere like the first DA,where you could feel the atmosphere flowing into you...

So,compared to DA:O,DA 2 is a very mediocre game,that it simply not as good as the first one.If you compare,however,DA 2 with other RPG's,you'll be astonished to remark that it's actually a very good RPG.

Now,I can barely wait to sink my teeth in The Witcher 2.MAN,the gameplay's on youtube are pure awesomeness,I guess I'll buy the Collector's Edition,though I'm not sure.Still,it's SO awesome,the graphics are MUCH better that DA 2(at first sight),the gameplay is SO better that DA 2 (at first sight),and the maturity of the game plus the choices you make in the game really matter(unlike DA 2).Gosh,I'm over-excited about this game.I even forgot I've got a pretty weak pc.

Edit : I'll recomend a classic RPG for you guys,that's actually got a bit of an adventure taste to it : Septerra Core Legacy Of The Creator.I think I'll actually start the game again,at first I found it impossible to play the game,but after gaining courage,I played it and I have to admit,it's story is really awesome,the gameplay is quite classic,the graphics are pretty good for the year it was launched,what kept me playing was the story and the feeling,the atmosphere of the game.I'm really into that game.

PS : Might as well play Planescape: Torment until other good RPGs appear.That game's considered the father of RPGs.

Jammin
May 05, 2011, 11:34 PM
I play a ton of RPG's. No MMO's though. When i play RPG's i like the experience to be like reading a good novel. If i want to do social gaming i perfer stuff like MAG.

My absolute favorite game is.....

Final Fantasy 7
First RPG i ever played and quite possible my favorite RPG of all time. I also liked 6 & 8(i suspect i'll like 5 but i haven't played it yet), the rest though i thought were pretty much garbage. All style over substance with no sense of immersion.

My second favorite is a game i would bet nobody remembers but me....

Vanguard Bandits
It was a bit like Fire Emblem crossed with Escaflone(sword fighting mechs). It had a great and widely branching story line and for the ps1 game the graphics looked great.

Other RPG's i play or have played are.

Suikoden Series
The 1st game was great. The 2nd game had the best story in any RPG i've ever played. 3rd was decent. 4th was bad. 5th was good but not great. Capcom hasn't quite been able to catch the same magic since those first two games, hope they keep trying though.

Valkyrie Chronicles
I liked the first game but felt it was too linear. Then the second game came along and used base management to prevent the plot from feeling that way, while retaining all the things that made the first game fun. Much like portable ops and peace walker did for metal gear.

Mass Effect
Loved 1 and 2. Was a little disappointed in the inventory system and the lack of much equipment as compared to the first game. I know they did it for the sake of streamlining but it feels like the second game lost a little something due to that. Even with that said however i think Mass Effect 2 is easily the best sci-fi rpg ever made.

Dragon Age
Loved Dragon Age Origins. I have a bit of a love hate relationship with Dragon Age 2. I ended up loving the way they story focused on the prebuilt character of Hawke(thought i would hate that but the story just flowed much more naturally with things that way) and i loved the new visual style of the combat interface. I hated the inventory system(or lack there of), that they removed spell combos, the redone abilities/leveling system, and most of all the lackluster characters. Their is 1 or 2 good party members the rest just seemed semi-boring(i miss Shale)

Gothic 1&2 / Riven
They are basically all the same game. And i've enjoyed all of them. Far from flawless but where other games go for visuals these games go with immersion. I like that.

Disgaea
1st one was great. 2nd one was great. 3rd one was terrible. Bad visuals(it's like they ported a psp game to the ps3 and hoped nobody would notice), uninteresting story, weak characters.

Fire Emblem
I've always liked these games but i think Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones was by far the best. Giving you an actual world map to explore made the experience so much more immersive.

Baldur's Gate.
It's pretty much the origin point of all the KOTOR and Neverwinter Nights style games. And it was a work of art. Too bad it looks so dated now a days.

I'm sure there are many more but that's all that comes to mind at the moment.

cracker
May 07, 2011, 02:20 PM
I love Fire Emblem. Mostly the handheld ones though, Fire Emblem for GBA is still my favourite. Nergal was a much better villain then Leon, but some of the mechanics for Sacred Stones was better. I loved the Wyvern Knight Class, was so much more reliable than the Lords.

And Escaflowne was a pretty good anime movie, kudos.

kakashi919
May 09, 2011, 06:49 PM
Ah Fire Emblem... I started Sacred Stones not too long ago, but since my psp is down,I haven't had the chance to continue. Shinning Force for sega was kinda hard -_-;

Jammin
May 10, 2011, 10:22 AM
You know something that has always struck me as great about the Fire Emblem series is the way the epilogue is handled. Going over each of the many character individually and showing the results of whatever relationship stuff you developed during your play-through.

Suikoden does the same thing, and for 108 characters that's takes quite a while, it's a pity they have never incorporated any of the branching relationship stuff that Fire Emblem uses. If a Suikoden game did that it might dethrone FF7 on my favorite games list.

Oh some other RPG's i enjoyed that just came to mind are.

The Witcher
It was a good game, story-wise, through the combat system seemed thoroughly broken to me. I'm really looking forward to the new one next week. It looks like they really worked to elevate the presentation of the series to a new level of quality. Should be fun.

Elder Scrolls Morrowind & Oblivion
These game are kinda the ultimate fantasy Sandbox. The actual stories i think are kinda bad but when it comes to just sheer fun with magic and stuff it's hard to beat something like Oblivion when you've applied a ton of mods to it. Of which there are many. (http://www.tesnexus.com/)

Tales series(as in Tales of Destiny, Tales of Symphonia, Tales of Legendia, etc..)
Just a reliable series of JRPG's. They haven't really changed much since the first Tales of Destiny game came out but the basic formula still works for me.

Breath of Fire series
I loved the 1st and liked the second. The stories were good and combat was really fun, and rather stylish. Then the 3rd came along and ruined everything. Applied a terrible art style, moved the entire story underground, and made the whole experience linear.

Vandal Hearts series
This is kinda the prototype series for dark themed JRPG's. Despite being so very dark, the stories were really good in the first 2 games. It's a pity the art style has always been a bit...well bad.

Lunar series
Sorta the ultimate classic RPG to me. It's really a simple kind of story but it has such charm. The first game was so good they have re-released it like a half dozen times times now and the second one was good too. Which causes me to wonder, "why haven't they made another of these yet"?. Why the hell is the company that made this wasting it's time making crap like "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Smash up"!

Ogre Battle series
I loved Ogre Battle and Ogre Battle tactics. Never actually played Ogre Battle 64. It's high time Atlus gets started on another one of these games too.

Persona series
Not a huge fan of the first 2 games but Persona 3 and 4 were just awesome. It's like an odd mix of monster rancher and a relationship sim game, and apparently those thing go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Ar Tonilico
It took me a bit to decide whether or not i was going to admit that i play these. Never do i feel quite as ashamed of myself than i do as a grown man walking into a store to pick one of these games up(which i make a point to do, i'm not going to order it through the mail like a pansey). What can i say i like the way the psychological aspect of the game focuses on heroines so intensely(and *cough*all the romance/ecchi doesn't hurt either*cough*).

I'm sure there are even more than that but that's enough for now.:amuse

cracker
May 10, 2011, 10:46 AM
I absolutely loved persona 3 and persona 4, felt like I was playing an anime. The plot (with intrigue and twists), the social aspects ( game mechanic that I enjoyed the most)...it was truly an experience. Talking about those makes me so anxious for persona 5, I can hardly wait.

The tales series was also awesome, I mostly prefer the 2-d ones though. Tales of destiny, tales of phantasia, tales of destiny 2, tales of rebirth etc

Didn't really take to the 3d ones but tales of abyss wasn't too bad, it was good in its own right. I hate symphonia for gamecube though it was terrible -__-

I enjoyed the first 2 breath of fire games as well. I loved the opening sequence to part 2 with the dragon calling you from your sleep and you awake to a dream.

benelori
May 13, 2011, 06:21 AM
Mass Effect 3 was delayed to Q1 2021...that's partly sad, because we have to wait even more, but it's better in a way, because it won't be rushed...
That's why the most anticipated game is The Witcher 2...what an awesome game...fangasm all over the place...

I also heard that Brotherhood is not the last installment of Assassin's Creed...never played the last one, so I don't know the ending, but the last installment was announced under the title of Revelations

Jammin
May 13, 2011, 08:55 AM
Mass Effect 3 was delayed to Q1 2021...that's partly sad, because we have to wait even more, but it's better in a way, because it won't be rushed...
That's why the most anticipated game is The Witcher 2...what an awesome game...fangasm all over the place...Haha, I never believed for a second that Bioware could release a game on the first stated release date. They've never done it before that i can recall and they probably never will. That's just not how they roll.

Never occurred to me for a second that the release date would be anything but a lie.

---------------

As for the Witcher 2, i got it preordered

This second one will be so interesting. The first one was almost entirely made with a modded up version of the engine Bioware developed for Neverwinter Knights. Which resulted in a severe limitation of the quality of what they could do.

This time around the sky's the limit. And if the previews are any indication it's like they might hit that mark.

benelori
May 13, 2011, 08:58 AM
I just read that both Mass Effect and Dragon Age are going to get anime versions...at least according to Gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/masseffect3/news/6307383/mass-effect-getting-anime-ated-in-2012?tag=newsfeatures%3Btitle%3B2)...opinions?
[hr]

Haha, I never believed for a second that Bioware could release a game on the first stated release date. They've never done it before that i can recall and they probably never will. That's just not how they roll.

Never occurred to me for a second that the release date would be anything but a lie.

---------------

As for the Witcher 2, i got it preordered

This second one will be so interesting. The first one was almost entirely made with a modded up version of the engine Bioware developed for Neverwinter Knights. Which resulted in a severe limitation of the quality of what they could do.

This time around the sky's the limit. And if the previews are any indication it's like they might hit that mark.

Hmm...did they do the same thing with Dragon Age 2 as well...IIRC they did not, but then again, I read reviews, so I know it's not that good...

I heard that the witcher 2 will have 16 different endings...:blink...that's a lot...talk about complex, choice-heavy gameplay...it will be awesome...I saw gameplay trailers, the graphics will be awesome, now all it's left to see, is the story...

Jammin
May 13, 2011, 09:23 AM
Hmm...did they do the same thing with Dragon Age 2 as well...IIRC they did not, but then again, I read reviews, so I know it's not that good... I don't think they did but now that you mention it they totally should have.

Maybe then it would have had more than 5 dungeons and 1 city. And any armor meant for any class other than hawkes wouldn't have been completely useless.

HegemonKhan
May 14, 2011, 02:51 PM
School Old for the Win, (some of) these are truly epic RPGs!

ultimate RPGs

(bolded ones are my favorites, truly epic ones)

01. Breath of Fire 1 (SNES)
02. Breath of Fire 2 (SNES)
03. Breath of Fire 3 (PS1)
04. Final Fantasy 6 Jp / Final Fantasy 3 US (SNES)
05. Final Fantasy 7 (PS1)
06. Final Fantasy 8 (PS1)
07. Tales of Phantasia (SNES)
08. Final Fantasy 1-5 (NES-SNES)
09. 7th Saga (SNES)
10. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
11. Dragon Warrior 1-4 (NES-SNES)
12. Earthbound (SNES)
14. Lufia and the Fortress of Doom 1 (SNES)
15. Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals 2 (SNES)
16. Might and Magic 4-5 (PC)
17. Might and Magic 1-3 (NES-SNES)
18. Paladin's Quest (SNES)
19. Robotrek (SNES)
20. Secret of Mana (SNES)
21. Seiken Densetsu 3 ("Secret of Mana 2, but its a prequel to Secret of Mana" (SNES)
22. Secret of Evermore (Not related to Secret of Mana at all) (SNES)
23. Ultima 1-7 (NES-SNES)
24. Willow (NES)
25. Wizards and Warriors 1-3 (NES)
26. Wizardry ~ 1-7 (NES)
27. Wizards and Warriors (Ironworks gaming) (PC)
28. Diablo 1-2 (PC)
29. The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind (PC)
30. The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind: Tribunal (PC)
31. The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind: Bloodmoon (PC)
32. EVO: Search for Eden (SNES)
33. Soul Blazer (1) (SNES)
34. Illusion of Gaia (2) (SNES)
35. Terranigma (3) (SNES)
36. Ogrebattle: March of the Black Queen (SNES)
37. Tactics Ogre (PS1)
38. The Legend of Zelda 1 (NES)
39. The Legend of Zelda 2: The Adventures of Link (NES)
40: The Legend of Zelda (3?): A Link to the Past (SNES)
41. The Legend of Zelda (4?): Link's Awakening (GB)
42. Legend of Zelda: Outlands (fan-made) (PC)
43. Fallout 1 (PC)
44. Fallout 2 (PC)
45. Heroes of Might and Magic 3: Restoration of Erathia (1) (PC)
46. Heroes of Might and Magic 3: Armageddon's Blade (2) (PC)
47. Heroes of Might and Magic 3: Shadow of Death (3) (PC)
48. Heroes of Might and Magic 3.5: In the Wake of the Gods (4) (Fan-Made) (PC)

kakashi919
May 14, 2011, 08:09 PM
It seems Most of the best RPGs ever made were on SNES. I would love to see Nintendo get back to the RPGs and not focus on more family games.

phio_chan
May 17, 2011, 08:44 AM
Ooh, lots of RPGers here. XD
I tend to like 'peaceful' RPGs like Harvest Moon and its family. But I also played quite many adventure RPGs, from Shadow Hearts to Star Ocean, from FF to Kingdom Hearts. :D

Jammin
May 17, 2011, 09:14 AM
Ooh, lots of RPGers here. XD
I tend to like 'peaceful' RPGs like Harvest Moon and its family. But I also played quite many adventure RPGs, from Shadow Hearts to Star Ocean, from FF to Kingdom Hearts. :DI like Harvest moon as well.

But i actually like Rune Factory much more. It's basically harvest moon with a little hint of dungeon crawling splashed in.

Zeltrax
May 17, 2011, 09:16 AM
Rune factory 3 ? :wtf

I played all of them (ds ones), loved everyone of them.
Basically a great game if you want a change of style or something to relax.
I'm not saying harvest moon is not as good, both are equally fun to me.
Harvest moon have something rf lacks tho and rf have something hm lacks.

killbill
May 17, 2011, 10:43 AM
Best RPG games are made by bioware!
My personal fav was KOTOR (Knights Of The Old Republic 1) because i'm a huge star wars fan! Dragon Age 1 and 2 bothe are awesome although some people didnt like DragonAge2 that much because it didnt have any grey warden material but the story was very well done and i enjoyed every moment of it.Mass Effect 1 was, in my opinion not that good, the gameplay was revolutionary the graphics were awesome the dialogue and everything but the quests were not that good..But Mass Effect 2 was really amazing! I loved the story and the companions.It was Awesome!
Now i guess all die hard RPG fans including myself are waiting for The Old Republic and Mass Effect 3.
P.S Witcher 2 looks pretty sweet although i havnt played it yet only watched the trailer!

Jammin
May 17, 2011, 10:56 AM
@Zeltrax
Sadly i've only ever played the wii Rune Factory. "Rune Factory Frontier" if i remember correctly. I don't own a DS so that's the only exposure to the series i've had.

-------------------------

As for the Witcher 2. I will be playing it as soon as steam can get it to me but unfortunately steam is being a complete A-hole at the moment(God, do i hate steam). If anyone here is getting the ol' "Steam is too busy to process your request" bullarky, a solution is to pick a different server. Seattle's working for me.

Now to figure out a way to play fable 3 without having steam autopause my download of the Witcher 2(god, do i hate steam)

phio_chan
May 18, 2011, 05:33 AM
I like Harvest moon as well.

But i actually like Rune Factory much more. It's basically harvest moon with a little hint of dungeon crawling splashed in.

Rune factory 3 ? :wtf

I played all of them (ds ones), loved everyone of them.
Basically a great game if you want a change of style or something to relax.
I'm not saying harvest moon is not as good, both are equally fun to me.
Harvest moon have something rf lacks tho and rf have something hm lacks.

I don't have NDS so I can't play Rune Factory. =___= It's funny how there seems to be a virus of loving Harvest Moon around my friends lately. They are all back to playing Harvest Moon, which made me interested in playing it again~ :3

Maybe I can try Rune Factory on my laptop? But that means I'll need to find an emulator. XD

Zeltrax
May 18, 2011, 08:35 AM
Yep theres an emulator out there, I can't really remember the name but you
Can find it easily using google.
Sadly my sister hate me as she cant play as theres no female main in rf (although all the guys/bachelors are decent looking). I mean, she can use a guy, but shes sturbborn :p

@Jammin I think frontier and the first rf on ds is the same, was there a character called mist?

kakashi919
May 18, 2011, 08:41 AM
You know... I've never tried any of the RF or HM games. :oh Are they that enjoyable? They didn't seem to be the kind of RPG I like, but I might check them out sooner or later. Right now I'm playing Chrono Trigger DS and Lufia2 for SNES.

No$gba is the emulator btw... well the one I use. There is also Desmune ^^

Zeltrax
May 18, 2011, 08:46 AM
@kakashi Give it a try, its worth your time for sure. Its not any less time consuming than most standard rpgs. Its a very relaxing game for me and I love my hm/rf wife.
Btw, you finished radiant historia?

phio_chan
May 18, 2011, 08:48 AM
Sadly my sister hate me as she cant play as theres no female main in rf (although all the guys/bachelors are decent looking). I mean, she can use a guy, but shes sturbborn :p

LOL, well, playing as a female character like ourselves has a different aura than playing a different gender. :tem

You know... I've never tried any of the RF or HM games. :oh Are they that enjoyable? They didn't seem to be the kind of RPG I like, but I might check them out sooner or later. Right now I'm playing Chrono Trigger DS and Lufia2 for SNES.

No$gba is the emulator btw... well the one I use. There is also Desmune ^^

Well, it depends on each person's favorite genre. But to me Harvest Moon (that includes Rune Factory since they're similar) is unique and fun because it feels somehow natural. Your goal is to be as successful as you could be; building farm, making friends, getting a wife and a child, and so on. For me it's a nice refreshing theme since on the other side I love to play adventure, action RPG like FF and its families. XD

And thank you for the names on the emulator. I'll try it out later. :D

kakashi919
May 18, 2011, 09:03 AM
@kakashi Give it a try, its worth your time for sure. Its not any less time consuming than most standard rpgs. Its a very relaxing game for me and I love my hm/rf wife.
Btw, you finished radiant historia?

You know... I haven't finished it yet lol. I can't even remember where I reached. My brother finished it before me and I really don't like when he finishes a RPG before me :notrust
I'll probably finish it soon lol

LOL, well, playing as a female character like ourselves has a different aura than playing a different gender. :tem

Well, it depends on each person's favorite genre. But to me Harvest Moon (that includes Rune Factory since they're similar) is unique and fun because it feels somehow natural. Your goal is to be as successful as you could be; building farm, making friends, getting a wife and a child, and so on. For me it's a nice refreshing theme since on the other side I love to play adventure, action RPG like FF and its families. XD

And thank you for the names on the emulator. I'll try it out later. :D

Oh, so it's something like The Sims? Don't really like games like that. I'll still check it out though, since it is DS and all.

phio_chan
May 18, 2011, 09:22 AM
Oh, so it's something like The Sims? Don't really like games like that. I'll still check it out though, since it is DS and all.

But in The Sims you don't really have a mission, right? It's basically just building a house and building a family. Some more modern The Sims (3, maybe) maybe have some more complicated, interesting plot. But in HM you've got mission, and each series has a different mission. Personally I don't really like The Sims as well, but I think HM is more interesting. More things you can explore. And its traditional style is also what makes it wins compared to The Sims, for me. :D

By the way, anyone ever heard of an RPG game titled "Dokapon Kingdom"?

Zeltrax
May 18, 2011, 09:39 AM
You know... I haven't finished it yet lol. I can't even remember where I reached. My brother finished it before me and I really don't like when he finishes a RPG before me :notrust
I'll probably finish it soon lol.

Same here got stuck at a part and never went back playing again, I know its a great game and all but :/ its just me.
nah, hm is nothing like the sims, its way betterr.

@pinochan never heard of it, mind sharing :amuse ?

kakashi919
May 18, 2011, 09:41 AM
Hmmm... sounds interesting. I'll really have to try it myself to see if I like it. Sims really isn't my kind of game lol.

I heard of it, but never saw any gameplay of it or anything. Is it good?

phio_chan
May 18, 2011, 09:57 AM
@pinochan never heard of it, mind sharing :amuse ?

I heard of it, but never saw any gameplay of it or anything. Is it good?

@Zeltrax: LOL, it's phio. Not a problem though. XD

Well, in Dokapon Kingdom, you play as an adventurer. You're given missions by the king of the kingdom, and by fulfilling those missions, you get rewards. The winner is the richest adventurer by the end of all chapters. You get money not only by fulfilling missions, but also by saving towns from monsters attack. You don't travel freely like in any other adventure game, but you use a spinner with number from 1-6 to determine how far you can move. Like in a monopoly game. :)

The game's idea is what hooked me. But since I'm alone at home, I played with the CPU. And to me it was the greatest mistake I ever done. The CPU is very crazy and merciless; and moreover, it cheated! It took me so hard to get to a place, for example, but CPU easily got there. CPU is just too lucky. =___=

But I bet it'll be fun if you play it with your friends. Or if you've find a way to cheat the CPU back. My friend's brother has, and he is triumphant. XDD

kakashi919
May 18, 2011, 10:28 AM
That sounds very weird :oh
lol@ CPU cheating :XD All games are like that though... there's some things you just have to master or be lucky enough to beat the CPU.

phio_chan
May 18, 2011, 10:35 AM
I find it similar to monopoly, really. You roll dice, a number comes up, you move as the number appears. When you arrive at an empty field, you can meet enemies or events (like meeting a traveling blacksmith, item seller, etc.). Or you can arrive at a town. If the town is occupied by a monster, you beat it and the town becomes yours. Once it becomes yours, it can produce money for you. You can invest your money on the town to make it bigger and such. :)

And the graphic is pretty cute, really.

Oh, I forget to mention that you can choose your own job. You start with being a warrior or a magician or a thief. But as you master more jobs, a new job will come. For example, I'm a spellsword now. :D There are tons of nice jobs and they are all interesting. XD

But well, it's always CPU who destroyed the fun. =___=

kakashi919
May 18, 2011, 10:47 AM
:lmao CPU in some games are just annoying and impossible.

I like any RPG with different jobs. I always choose the thief though :D Cuz they always change into a ninja :ninja Invisibility, stealing, backstabbing... awesome :derp

phio_chan
May 18, 2011, 10:57 AM
LOL~ Well, my friend chose the thief job, and when he found out that by moving past another player could steal their things, he became very fond of that job. Dang him. XD Yep, there is a job of ninja too. But since I haven't played the job of thief and master that job, I haven't got ninja yet. XD

You should try that game when you have the time and destroy the CPU for me. I've set the CPU level to 'weak and I still got beaten quite easy; now I wonder if I'm the one who's actually weak. :O

kakashi919
May 18, 2011, 11:09 AM
It's for wii right? I'll get it for my nephew since he has a wii xD
I just got some games for him...(well I really got them for me :3c)

HegemonKhan
May 18, 2011, 11:40 AM
Kakashi919,

are you playing Lufia 2 for the first time, or is it an old game you played many times before and you're just revisiting it?

(Lufia 2 is one of THEE BEST RPGs of all time, perfect at every aspect! hehe)

------------------------

I've seen Harvest Moon, but I don't think I've ever tried it yet, if my memory serves me.

(I might try playing it though, as it does sound fun, with lots of developmental non-guy-fighting/adventuring stuff, which I enjoy as well as the guy-fighting/adventuring stuff too, hehe. I like developing/growing/building stuff as much as the adventuring/questing/fighting in RPGs, I love both, and that's why I love RPGs, hehe)

(are you talking about the original, I think I saw it as a NES/SNES game, but I think they made later ones for the newer consoles too?)

---------------------

I really like EVO: Search for Eden for the SNES

you start as a fish, and as you eat/kill stuff, you get points and you can upgrade your fish, making a lot of cool/cute/weird designs (and of course they have different powers and stats and stuff).

than when you beat the Age of fish, you do the age of amphibeans, than of reptiles/dinosaurs/birds/dragons, than of mammals/humans(secret class)/mermaid(secret class). oh, and there's aliens... if you can find them, hehe

(the first age, of fish, is the most limited but its also like a tutorial too, but each new age, you get a much greater variety in animal designs/choices)

It's a really awesome game! though its an action-RPG, but it's a lot of fun, especially making your animal, hehe :D

And you get a bit of history of life as well, while not completely accurate obviously, it does has some general stuff decently right. (and you learn a lot of science-animal words-terms, lol)

but, it'll make you a believer of evolution, lol. so if you're extremely religious and believe in creationism, you probably won't like it, lol.

(oh, and it has a really good story/plot, and VERY emotional too, some really sad scenes... sniffle)

-----------------------

Breath of Fire 2 for the SNES

while it is mainly a traditional RPG, there is a town building aspect of it, which is pretty fun.

Breath of Fire 3 for the PS1

it takes this even further, with a job-like system, and fairies who build stuff for you (it's been a long time since I played this, so my memory is a bit hazy on this)

kakashi919
May 18, 2011, 11:45 AM
I'm playing it for the first time :tem I always had the game, but never tried it for some reason. I really like it so far... there are good puzzles to solve which I really like in RPGs. The reset spell is really cool too, good to use to raise level :XD

I haven't reached far though,just killed the lizard man to get the key and met the woman.

HegemonKhan
May 18, 2011, 12:05 PM
oooooo

oh man, you're going to sooooo LOVE Lufia 2, grins... Ancient Cave... :D

and be ready for the GREATEST-MOST EMOTIONAL MOST REAL_HUMAN STORY EVA!

*grins*

and it has a total surprise for you... it seems the game is over happily ever after... except the game feels very short... as it's only the middle of the game, hehe :D

oh, this game is really EMOTIONAL... TOTAL EMOTIONAL ROLLERCOASTER!!!! YOU'LL FEEL HEART-WARMED, YOU'LL BE BAWLING RIVERS OF TEARS, YOU'LL KNOW/FEEL LOVE LIKE YOU NEVER KNWOWN BEFORE! truly EPIC EPIC EPIC GAME!

wait, I forgot, THIS GAME HAS THE BEST STORY EVA IT IS SO EMOTIONAL, SO REAL WORLD EMOTIONALLY REAL!

----------------

oh man this game is sooo awesome, so funny too... so sad... so jubilant... oh man, its the BEST!

LOVE, TRUE LOVE, TRUE GUT-WRENCHING SADNESS AND TRAGEDY, SACRIFCE and I MEAN SACRIFICE OF DEEP TRUE LOVE, HILARIOUS JOKES AND HUMOR, AND ETC!

--------------------

P.S.

If you need anything or help, I'd love to discuss it with you or help you, grins

there's also gamefaqs.com

which has some really epic threads (such as on the story-emotional aspect of it, the guy does such a great job of discussing it)

as well as threads to help with the game itself too of course

though be warned of spoilers obviously

and me too, as 'm so excited... it'll be hard to refrain from mentioning spoilers, lol :D

(I'm SOOOOOO JEALOUS of you.... I want to be able to go back and be playing it for my first time again.... sighs... )

----------------------------

P.S.S.

SERIOUSLY,

Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinstrals for the SNES is LITERALLY THEE BEST RPG OF ALL TIME FOREVER!

--------------------------------

P.S.S.S.

have fun with GADES, he *IS* beatable the first time (and you'll be rewarded for it)... though you'll need quite a bit more clvls ups than what clvl you'll likely have, unless your a pro at the game, where you can beat him at a much lower clvl :D

oh, and the capsule monsters are AWESOMELY FUN !!! :D

(your first is available pretty soon, when you can go through the shrine to the west, than go south, for your first capsule monster, FOOMY, a Neutral/physical element capsule monster)

kakashi919
May 18, 2011, 10:36 PM
Lol You really like this game :XD

Yosh! Now I'm fired up! Will have to wait until tomorrow to play though -_-;

HegemonKhan
May 18, 2011, 11:47 PM
it's got nothing to do with me, everything I said are ABSOLUTE FACTS about Lufia 2, hehe. It *IS* the greatest RPG of all time forever! It's EPICNESS of EPICNESS!

Zeltrax
May 19, 2011, 02:16 AM
@Zeltrax: LOL, it's phio. Not a problem though. XD
Firstly.. I'm Really really sorry :fail I was on a phone so it was a funny typo, please forgive me :crying I should have known better to mistake someone name..

Well, in Dokapon Kingdom, you play as an adventurer. You're given missions by the king of the kingdom, and by fulfilling those missions, you get rewards. The winner is the richest adventurer by the end of all chapters. You get money not only by fulfilling missions, but also by saving towns from monsters attack. You don't travel freely like in any other adventure game, but you use a spinner with number from 1-6 to determine how far you can move. Like in a monopoly game. :)
Sounds nice and the characters are quite cute :zomg , I wish I could play it tho..but I don't have a ps2 :XD I'm now pondering whether to buy a ps3 or not but that's after my exams.
Gaming is never number 1 on my list of to do.

The game's idea is what hooked me. But since I'm alone at home, I played with the CPU. And to me it was the greatest mistake I ever done. The CPU is very crazy and merciless; and moreover, it cheated! It took me so hard to get to a place, for example, but CPU easily got there. CPU is just too lucky. =___=

But I bet it'll be fun if you play it with your friends. Or if you've find a way to cheat the CPU back. My friend's brother has, and he is triumphant. XDD
Sometimes I wonder about the CPU..I wonder if they did that on purpose for some games.
Yeah, Dokapon seems like a fun rpg, it was nominated for best rpg on wii in 2008, not sure if it won tho :darn

I've seen Harvest Moon, but I don't think I've ever tried it yet, if my memory serves me.

(I might try playing it though, as it does sound fun, with lots of developmental non-guy-fighting/adventuring stuff, which I enjoy as well as the guy-fighting/adventuring stuff too, hehe. I like developing/growing/building stuff as much as the adventuring/questing/fighting in RPGs, I love both, and that's why I love RPGs, hehe)
You forgotten romance, its a vital part of the game. Heheh.

Lufia :wtf the only one I played was sinistrals tho and it blew me away.

phio_chan
May 19, 2011, 05:19 AM
It's for wii right? I'll get it for my nephew since he has a wii xD
I just got some games for him...(well I really got them for me :3c)

No, it's for PS2. :O

(are you talking about the original, I think I saw it as a NES/SNES game, but I think they made later ones for the newer consoles too?)

Yep, I agree with you. It feels nice to play such peaceful games after a hard-fighting, survival game, haha~ Yay for RPG lovers!
As for the origin of HM, I'm not very sure. The first HM I've ever known is the one PlayStation1, HM; Back to Nature, and I know that there's a lot of HM for other platforms, but I consider Back to Nature as the origin of all. I could be wrong, though. :)

Firstly.. I'm Really really sorry :fail I was on a phone so it was a funny typo, please forgive me :crying I should have known better to mistake someone name..

Sounds nice and the characters are quite cute :zomg , I wish I could play it tho..but I don't have a ps2 :XD I'm now pondering whether to buy a ps3 or not but that's after my exams.
Gaming is never number 1 on my list of to do.

Sometimes I wonder about the CPU..I wonder if they did that on purpose for some games.
Yeah, Dokapon seems like a fun rpg, it was nominated for best rpg on wii in 2008, not sure if it won tho :darn

You forgotten romance, its a vital part of the game. Heheh.

Lufia :wtf the only one I played was sinistrals tho and it blew me away.

Haha, not a problem, Zeltrax. It's not like you did it on purpose. :)

PS3, huh? I want to buy PS3 only so I could play FFXIII and FFversusXIII, haha~ But that's impossible, considering how busy I am at the moment and that my parents won't guy me PS3 because the games are so expensive. XD

Oh, so there's Dokapon in Wii as well? I didn't know about that. :O

And what is this Lufia game? What is it about? Is it on PS2?

kakashi919
May 19, 2011, 08:06 AM
Oh but when I checked they said it's for both ps2 and wii... so maybe they released it on wii after or something.

Lufia is an old school RPG for SNES. I like it so far :D But still... I just might stick to Chrono Trigger as the best RPG ever made.

phio_chan
May 19, 2011, 08:10 AM
Hmm, I see. Well, choose anything you'd like. I wonder if the CPU is as much annoying in Wii as it is in PS2. XD

HegemonKhan
May 19, 2011, 09:18 AM
Chrono Trigger is great, but Lufia 2 is the *BEST as it is PERFECT as the PINNACLE of RPG status, the "god RPG" * :D

-----------

after you played/beaten lufia 2 (due to obviously major spoilers), on gamefaqs.com:

read fleadh's 2 threads about the story/emotional/realness of it, he does an epic job at discussing it :D

(I went and looked up his name, as I couldn't remember it earlier... grr... getting old ain't fun... lol)

benelori
May 19, 2011, 01:59 PM
The Witcher 2 is out!!!:zomg:wtf:faint...

Here are some awesome videos with featerued characters of the series
Iorveth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n09s4m_fKxg)
Zoltan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc8-gXZjFL0&feature=related)
Triss (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b03qeNTt720)
Vernon Roche (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFGgqExK1Fk)

It seems Dandelion is not featured, I wonder if he even appears in the game:headscratch

Jammin
May 19, 2011, 03:25 PM
The Witcher 2 is out!!!:zomg:wtf:faint...

Here are some awesome videos with featerued characters of the series
Iorveth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n09s4m_fKxg)
Zoltan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc8-gXZjFL0&feature=related)
Triss (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b03qeNTt720)
Vernon Roche (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFGgqExK1Fk)

It seems Dandelion is not featured, I wonder if he even appears in the game:headscratchDandelion is indeed in the game. Just ran into him and Zoltan.

kakashi919
May 19, 2011, 03:39 PM
Chrono Trigger is great, but Lufia 2 is the *BEST as it is PERFECT as the PINNACLE of RPG status, the "god RPG" * :D

-----------

after you played/beaten lufia 2 (due to obviously major spoilers), on gamefaqs.com:

read fleadh's 2 threads about the story/emotional/realness of it, he does an epic job at discussing it :D

(I went and looked up his name, as I couldn't remember it earlier... grr... getting old ain't fun... lol)

Ah... I beat all games before I use any kind of faqs or walkthroughs for all the secrets. So I'm not really worried about spoilers. If the secrets are anything like the FF series, then it will be a bit hard to get all without a walkthrough.

The Witcher 2 is out already? :oh I should play 1 before I get 2 then :XD

benelori
May 19, 2011, 04:47 PM
Dandelion is indeed in the game. Just ran into him and Zoltan.

:party...I don't have the game, yet so I was worried for that crazy romanitc, hippie:tem

Jammin
May 19, 2011, 05:23 PM
:party...I don't have the game, yet so I was worried for that crazy romanitc, hippie:temYou should be, he was in all kinds of trouble when ol' Geralt happened across him

By the way, some FYI points for those interested in the Witcher 2.

It is as good as they say it is.
There are definitely some bugs that need to be hunted down but so far the basic experience this game offers is just amazing.
It is hard, so very very hard(at least on the normal difficulty level).
It gets a bit easier as you progress but parts of the prologue are just brutal. Primarily because blows stagger your character so if you screw up one parry you just get pounded; combine that with the fact that most fights have you outnumbered at least 5 to 1 and you can see how it could get difficult. I suggest rolling away a lot.
It is definitely harder on a PC than Crysis was (which my mid-priced gaming rig is able to play on high settings rather smoothly).
Unless your gaming rig is sporting some unbelievable hardware you probably won't be maxing out the settings. There have been times when it clearly made my computer want to cry.

So i doubt this game would ever be showing up on XBOX 360 or PS3(at least in anything resembling it's current form). I think both would probably just burst into flames if The Witcher 2 so much as looked at them.

HegemonKhan
May 20, 2011, 12:39 AM
Ah... I beat all games before I use any kind of faqs or walkthroughs for all the secrets. So I'm not really worried about spoilers. If the secrets are anything like the FF series, then it will be a bit hard to get all without a walkthrough.

I was just talking about the story-plot aspects in terms of spoilers.

the in-game secrets/side quests/items are pretty hard to miss, there's not any really difficult to discover secrets/sidequests/items in it... as long as you do basic RPG exploration and "thoroughness" (going everywhere you can and talking to people and stuff). the game's quite straight forward for the most part

except... the puzzles get hard... *grins* one of them especially... *ENJOY* hehe :D

and there's of course the AC (Ancient Cave), an entire game of its own within the game :D (Lufia 2 is so awesome, so perfect!)

kakashi919
May 20, 2011, 07:36 AM
Wow...I'm really blown away by this game. It's really awesome! The special attacks with certain weapons and armor is pretty awesome and new.Well new when the game came out.... In terms of story, I have no idea whats really going on yet, but it has it's moments that made me smile lol.

I'll be pretty busy with this game if you guys don't see me :XD

HegemonKhan
May 20, 2011, 08:41 AM
yep, the off and def rating of the gear hardly matters, its all about the IPs of the gear :D (who needs a good def rating, when you got an IP that can fully heal your entire party, hehe)

there's a lot of uber powerful IPs, so pay attention, and also look for special bonus damage on weapons, like x3 fire damage, x3 holy damage, x3 ice/water damage, x3 lightning damage etc.. as well.

look at the gear's IP, and its description of any other special stuff (bonus damage or protections or spells or etc) about it.

the off and def rating of gear doesn't matter as much, hehe :D

Zatono
May 21, 2011, 11:55 PM
Mmm RPGs...:3

If there's one series that deserves an honorable mention, its the "Tales Of" series. Especially Tales of Vesperia. If you have a 360, I highly, HIGHLY, recommend getting this game if you don't own it already. It's even available for digital download now.

benelori
May 24, 2011, 09:36 AM
You should be, he was in all kinds of trouble when ol' Geralt happened across him

By the way, some FYI points for those interested in the Witcher 2.

It is as good as they say it is.
There are definitely some bugs that need to be hunted down but so far the basic experience this game offers is just amazing.
It is hard, so very very hard(at least on the normal difficulty level).
It gets a bit easier as you progress but parts of the prologue are just brutal. Primarily because blows stagger your character so if you screw up one parry you just get pounded; combine that with the fact that most fights have you outnumbered at least 5 to 1 and you can see how it could get difficult. I suggest rolling away a lot.
It is definitely harder on a PC than Crysis was (which my mid-priced gaming rig is able to play on high settings rather smoothly).
Unless your gaming rig is sporting some unbelievable hardware you probably won't be maxing out the settings. There have been times when it clearly made my computer want to cry.

So i doubt this game would ever be showing up on XBOX 360 or PS3(at least in anything resembling it's current form). I think both would probably just burst into flames if The Witcher 2 so much as looked at them.

I finally got the game...and it's impressive...and I totally subscribe to this post, except the last point, because I haven't played Crysis...

Anyways...it is hard, at least in the beginning...I think I know what Jammin meant
There's this battle in the castle courtyard, where you engage 6 or 7 foes, two kind of twohander, heavy armored soldiers and 4 fodders and one with a shield. That was really hard, but I spammed Aard to knock them out and kill them in one blow
However...the reason why I think sometimes it gets soo hard, is because the controls suck a bit...even though I know I need time to get used to it, locking on to certain foe is a bit tough, also changing directions is funny as well...

But the environment and the story are just eeepic...and not just the story in itself, but the way the story is told...I sometimes find myself just staring at the screen and watching Geralt do his thing, because as someone said in a review, this game is more than a game, it is a cinematic experience...and I agree with that, not just from graphics point of view, but the way the creators chose to insert cutscenes...

Graphics...the environment is great as I said...shades, lighting, movement and combat animation are really smooth and realistic...but I don't think the same can be said about the facial animations...those are quite stiff and lifeless...

About leveling up, and the actual roleplaying part...I dunno what to say, because I just started the game, so...that will come later...

I love the realistic feel of the game...the creators mentioned that they do not wish the gamer to relate personally to Geralt when they play, but rather following Geralt on his journey...which is great and I love it...lots of cutscenes FTW

Jammin
May 24, 2011, 12:32 PM
@benelori
Yeah that is exactly the part i was talking about.

I think it's actually the physics engine that is responsible for the difficulty more than the controls. Because the physics of the blows carry over to your character and causing you to lose control after you get hit, so when multiple enemy's chain blows together you just get bounced around with no opportunity to block incoming attacks.

Luckily in that part the AI has very restricted range of aggression. Run like 20 meters away in courtyard and the bad guy's forget you exist. A fact i shamelessly took advantage of

benelori
May 29, 2011, 08:31 AM
Yup:tem...same here...the hit and run tactic always works...in every game...

However I did notice some bugs here and there...like night guards loading in...or enemies just popping out from nowhere en route to the Kayran cave...

Well things like these can be solved with patches...I really hope some of the movement related issues will be sorted out...when you climb down cliffs, or try to unsheath sword while moving...well...the entire process seems sluggish a bit

Shinsatsu
May 30, 2011, 10:29 AM
Whoa Nice thread!
I am an RPG junkie if you wish to call it that :P (just to make it clear, I have a 689 hour savegame on FFXII alone... yeah... I have full inventory -_- I always complete the RPGs I play 100% so I don't ever think of playing them again).
I played A LOT of RPG games. Final Fantasy series are my favorites especially IX which had a great story and music (the first FF you play is always your favorite). But lately I played some amazing titles like Dragon Age and Mass Effect. The Last remnant was a great game too and I am currently waiting for The witcher II and I am sure that it's going to be a freaking awesome game.

HegemonKhan
May 31, 2011, 03:07 AM
We (and everyone in this thread) need to become friends, hehe. I love RPGs too!

though, I'm entirely an old school gamer, as I almost never get new games (except for possibly an occasional computer game). I'm not very techy, so I'm lost with all this new technology, and don't have much money anyways for new consoles either.

what rpgs, have you played shinsatsu?

any of the old school rpgs (NES, SNES, GB, PS1, and old computer rpgs) ???

here's (some of) the games I've played:

School Old for the Win, (some of) these are truly epic RPGs!

ultimate RPGs

(bolded ones are my favorites, truly epic ones)

04. Final Fantasy 6 Jp / Final Fantasy 3 US (SNES)
05. Final Fantasy 7 (PS1)
06. Final Fantasy 8 (PS1)
07. Tales of Phantasia (SNES)
08. Final Fantasy 1-5 (NES-SNES)
09. 7th Saga (SNES)
10. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
11. Dragon Warrior 1-4 (NES-SNES)
12. Earthbound (SNES)
14. Lufia and the Fortress of Doom 1 (SNES)
15. Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals 2 (SNES)
16. Might and Magic 4-5 (PC)
17. Might and Magic 1-3 (NES-SNES)
18. Paladin's Quest (SNES)
19. Robotrek (SNES)
20. Secret of Mana (SNES)
21. Seiken Densetsu 3 ("Secret of Mana 2, but its a prequel to Secret of Mana" (SNES)
22. Secret of Evermore (Not related to Secret of Mana at all) (SNES)
23. Ultima 1-7 (NES-SNES)
24. Willow (NES)
25. Wizards and Warriors 1-3 (NES)
26. Wizardry ~ 1-7 (NES)
27. Wizards and Warriors (Ironworks gaming) (PC)
28. Diablo 1-2 (PC)
29. The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind (PC)
30. The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind: Tribunal (PC)
31. The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind: Bloodmoon (PC)
32. EVO: Search for Eden (SNES)
33. Soul Blazer (1) (SNES)
34. Illusion of Gaia (2) (SNES)
35. Terranigma (3) (SNES)
36. Ogrebattle: March of the Black Queen (SNES)
37. Tactics Ogre (PS1)
38. The Legend of Zelda 1 (NES)
39. The Legend of Zelda 2: The Adventures of Link (NES)
40: The Legend of Zelda (3?): A Link to the Past (SNES)
41. The Legend of Zelda (4?): Link's Awakening (GB)
42. Legend of Zelda: Outlands (fan-made) (PC)
43. Fallout 1 (PC)
44. Fallout 2 (PC)
45. Heroes of Might and Magic 3: Restoration of Erathia (1) (PC)
46. Heroes of Might and Magic 3: Armageddon's Blade (2) (PC)
47. Heroes of Might and Magic 3: Shadow of Death (3) (PC)
48. Heroes of Might and Magic 3.5: In the Wake of the Gods (4) (Fan-Made) (PC)

Shinsatsu
May 31, 2011, 06:42 AM
@HegemonKhan: I think I played almost all those on your list :)
I just can't remember all of them. I played Fallout series too but I lost my interest when the latest titles came out. Especially when everyone started worrying about graphics instead of the RPG essential elements and the game-play itself.
I wonder why you didn't play FFIX. It's my favorite among the old school RPG games ^^ Probably because it was the first FF title I played. But if there was a better FF I would've seen that considering that I played them all afterwards (except for I).

The Witcher II IS AMAZING. But something funny happened to me when i started playing. I always play games on the hardest difficulty available because the other difficulties are a waste of time to me... No challenge at all. So, I started a new game and chose "Insane" difficulty hahah then I played and progressed a lot (about 3 hours) then I had a phone call and I died because I had to answer it. When I tried to load my last save it said that you can't load a game in the "Insane" difficulty level. I laughed so hard ! If you die, you have to restart the game from the beginning.
It sounds interesting, I may try and complete the game that way during the summer.

benelori
May 31, 2011, 02:43 PM
All Dragon Age fans!!
Machinima is producing a Dragon Age spinoff series, and is releasing them on YT...so far the are 5 episodes and they follow the adventures of a Grey Warden named Christoph...
Ep. 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRVTl2ii8BM)....find the rest on YT

Shinsatsu
May 31, 2011, 04:12 PM
All Dragon Age fans!!
Machinima is producing a Dragon Age spinoff series, and is releasing them on YT...so far the are 5 episodes and they follow the adventures of a Grey Warden named Christoph...
Ep. 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRVTl2ii8BM)....find the rest on YT
Yeah, I watched these as soon as they were released.
Origins was so much better that DA2. The story had a great depth and you had too many choices, therefore, you could complete the game in too many different ways ^^.
I'm currently playing the witcherII oO I can't stop playing! it's too damn good.

HegemonKhan
May 31, 2011, 08:37 PM
FF9 was for the PS2 right?

I actually (stupidly) got the PS1 like 1-2 weeks before the PS2 came out, lol, I wasn't very informed on the gaming industry, lol. I was sooo not happy with myself, as the PS2 could play both its games and the PS1 games, whereas the PS1 could only play PS1 games, argh!

so, that's why I only played up to FF8, as the PS1 was the last console that I got. Now, if I get a new game (which is very rare), it's just a computer game. I'm too old, not techy enough, don't have the time, nor the money, to get these new consoles. I remember when the PS3 was just coming out... $600 (and uber long lines at least the day before if not the entire week before, lol)... you got to be joking... I am sooo NOT that rich....

Shinsatsu
May 31, 2011, 09:20 PM
FF9 was for the PS2 right?

I actually (stupidly) got the PS1 like 1-2 weeks before the PS2 came out, lol, I wasn't very informed on the gaming industry, lol. I was sooo not happy with myself, as the PS2 could play both its games and the PS1 games, whereas the PS1 could only play PS1 games, argh!

so, that's why I only played up to FF8, as the PS1 was the last console that I got. Now, if I get a new game (which is very rare), it's just a computer game. I'm too old, not techy enough, don't have the time, nor the money, to get these new consoles. I remember when the PS3 was just coming out... $600 (and uber long lines at least the day before if not the entire week before, lol)... you got to be joking... I am sooo NOT that rich....
If you work to get the money yourself, your buying decisions are always very different than when you get the money from your parents when you're young ^^.
FF9 is a PS1 game. FFX was the first FF game on PS2. you can find 9 on the web if you're interested ^^

kakashi919
May 31, 2011, 10:36 PM
I just found original discs of FF9 in my computer draw....:oh
It's strange really, because I never bought this game....ever. Friend must have left it here a long time ago.

I'll probably watch that Dragon Age another time. Got a lot of stuff to watch.

benelori
June 01, 2011, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I watched these as soon as they were released.
Origins was so much better that DA2. The story had a great depth and you had too many choices, therefore, you could complete the game in too many different ways ^^.
I'm currently playing the witcherII oO I can't stop playing! it's too damn good.
You like depth, choices and different endings based on choices? Witcher 2 has 16 different endings...:faint

---------- Post added at 02:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 AM ----------

I just found original discs of FF9 in my computer draw....:oh
It's strange really, because I never bought this game....ever. Friend must have left it here a long time ago.

I'll probably watch that Dragon Age another time. Got a lot of stuff to watch.
They are not long...7 minutes, each episode

Zeltrax
June 02, 2011, 06:06 AM
So I'm playing fallout new vegas..its okay, I like fo 3 more.
But meh, fo games are pretty much the same anyway

Jammin
June 03, 2011, 11:09 PM
So I'm playing fallout new vegas..its okay, I like fo 3 more.
But meh, fo games are pretty much the same anyway Are you playing it on console or PC?

Because if your playing it on PC there are some amazing mods. Various texture upgrades. Sky and lighting upgrades. TONS of weapons and crafting upgrades. Not to mention the standard stuff. Player homes, Quests, etc...(This website hosts several thousand of them (http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/categories.php).)

Some of the stuff people have made is just unbelievable.

One mod is a player-home that has features like a huge auto sorting armory so with one click of a button it sorts any items you want into designated containers(food, drink, guns, ammo, armor). And it's set up so you can sort that stuff individually or all at once, even giving you the ability to tag things for the sorter to permanently ignore. Plus it has a personal teleporting device that allows you to instantly travel to your bunker, any major town, and a custom location that you can select and change at will(very much like the mark and recall spells in morrowind). And the whole complex consumes fuel and energy cells that you have to provide to keep it running.

And that's just one of many. Plus the tool-set is easy enough to figure out you can easily do some extra tweaking yourself just for the fun of it.:p

Zeltrax
June 04, 2011, 12:21 AM
Wow :blink
I never knew a place like that exist until now.
Thanks for that web Jammin, I'll hold off the modding until I finish the plot.
But seriously, this game crashes too much..

Shinsatsu
June 04, 2011, 09:55 PM
You know what I like most about The Witcher II?
It's those 2 words that went straight to my personal dictionary ! "plough" and "whoreson" those 2 words are hilarious. ^^

Magnus
June 05, 2011, 10:05 AM
It seems like you haven't played Breath of Fire 4 yet. Well you ought to try it, there is a PC version of it. I have played all of the four BoF and the fourth is by far my favourite. If you liked to first three then there's no way you won't love the fourth.

HegemonKhan
June 05, 2011, 10:28 AM
is the 4th BoF, Dragon's Quarter? (I've heard about this one, but I'm not sure if it's the 4th BoF or not)

(if I ever get my computer fixed or get a new one, I'll look into seeing if I can still get/buy the 4th BoF than for the PC, hehe. Though I don't have much time anymore for gaming, but I certainly love BoF, hehe)

Magnus
June 05, 2011, 12:52 PM
No, it has little to nothing to do with Dragon's Quarter which can be considered as the fifth episode of the series.
BoF 4 was originally released on PS1 and later on PC. Here is one review so you can get an idea (don't forget to have a look at the screenshots) :http://psx.ign.com/articles/163/163551p1.html

Shinsatsu
June 05, 2011, 02:45 PM
The witcher II is so short ... I can't believe it ended this fast on the hardest difficulty.

benelori
June 05, 2011, 05:19 PM
The witcher II is so short ... I can't believe it ended this fast on the hardest difficulty.
But you were playing it non-stop weren't you?:XD...anyways...so I play it on normal, but is it true that you cannot load the game in the hardest difficulty after you die? That's some cool shiz...

Shinsatsu
June 05, 2011, 06:37 PM
But you were playing it non-stop weren't you?:XD...anyways...so I play it on normal, but is it true that you cannot load the game in the hardest difficulty after you die? That's some cool shiz...

Yes if you die you have to replay the whole thing... But the game is hard only in the first chapter... It gets easier with better equipments and higher lvl... And once you master using the skills and dodging... It becomes child play. I played the first chapter on Hard difficulty and then I began a new game on "Insane". The rest wasn't that hard (But sometimes I used cheap tricks to win fights :D! can't blame me ^^ it's like dying for real).

I didn't play it non-stop :S But it's really short for a veteran RPG player. But it was really awesome. Way better than DA2. I will definitely play the next Witcher game.

Jammin
June 09, 2011, 08:27 PM
I just heard they are releasing a new Rune Factory game for the PS3 sometime this year. It's called Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny (http://kotaku.com/5810339/rune-factory-tides-of-destiny-is-simply-adorable-on-the-playstation-3/gallery/1).

Even though admitting this feel even more nerdy than usual.... i'm really excited about that.

All the Harvest Moon stuff + Monster killing; all on the ps3. What's not to love?:D

----------------------

By the way for those who are playing the Witcher 2, what is up with these patch sizes that i'm seeing through steam? What kind of patch is 10 gigs? Are they just completely rewriting the install files or something, because what kind of bugs take two 10 gig patches to fix? I don't see how anything could be THAT broken.

kakashi919
June 10, 2011, 11:20 AM
Just got my hands on Dragon Age 2. People are right.... it's not as good as Origins. A lot of side quests and stuff, but it's not as deep as the original and the story isn't as captivating. Have to play over Origins to get back my save file though <_>

Shinsatsu
June 10, 2011, 11:28 AM
Just got my hands on Dragon Age 2. People are right.... it's not as good as Origins. A lot of side quests and stuff, but it's not as deep as the original and the story isn't as captivating. Have to play over Origins to get back my save file though <_>

Dragon Age 2 have an amazing combat system. Too bad that the story is in one city and most of the characters suck. (except for Fenris).

kakashi919
June 10, 2011, 12:10 PM
Funny thing though.... When I start a game, I don't go into options before I start, so I was just standing there dying because I forgot how to fight in Dragon Age. I was left clicking all the time on the enemies and my character would just stand there lol. Then I checked the controls and felt so stupid after :darn

Felt like a noob.

Jammin
June 10, 2011, 03:27 PM
Have to play over Origins to get back my save file though Not necessarily. Somebody actually made a save game generator. Where you basically pick the plot options you want and it generates a clear save for use it DA2. Very handy when your computer dies and takes your clear save with it. Here's a link. (http://social.bioware.com/forum/Dragon-Age-II/Dragon-Age-II-Fan-Creations-Mods-and-Modding-Spoilers/Gibbed039s-Dragon-Age-Save-Generator-6421474-1.html)

Dragon Age 2 have an amazing combat system. Too bad that the story is in one city and most of the characters suck. (except for Fenris). I wasn't real fond of the Fenris either. But I liked the dwarf with the chest hair a great deal.

Not nearly as great as Shale though. I'm really hoping they bring that character back in the next game.

kakashi919
June 10, 2011, 07:05 PM
Not necessarily. Somebody actually made a save game generator. Where you basically pick the plot options you want and it generates a clear save for use it DA2. Very handy when your computer dies and takes your clear save with it. Here's a link. (http://social.bioware.com/forum/Dragon-Age-II/Dragon-Age-II-Fan-Creations-Mods-and-Modding-Spoilers/Gibbed039s-Dragon-Age-Save-Generator-6421474-1.html)

I wasn't real fond of the Fenris either. But I liked the dwarf with the chest hair a great deal.

Not nearly as great as Shale though. I'm really hoping they bring that character back in the next game.

As tempting as that is, I rather do it over myslef :D
Thanks for the link though.

shuha27
June 17, 2011, 07:13 PM
Can someone tell me if Tales of Vesperia is worth buying

EDIT: Nvm I just read your post Zatono , thank you :D

benelori
July 08, 2011, 02:53 PM
Dragon Age 2: Legacy DLC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c91G2JeR87c&feature=feedu).

Trailer of the latest DLC

kakashi919
July 08, 2011, 07:07 PM
First time playing Final Fantasy 12. 40 hours into the game... it's very addictive and comsuming :XD
Didn't think I would like this style of battle the first time, but since playing dragon age and games like that, it's a lot of fun :D

riki
July 11, 2011, 07:21 PM
Is anyone planning to get Dark Souls?

g0dzax
July 16, 2011, 06:14 AM
Dragon Age 2: Legacy DLC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c91G2JeR87c&feature=feedu).

Trailer of the latest DLC

It all comes down to moneyhungry DLCs...

Last game I finished was The Witcher 2,which by some substantial efforts I managed to buy Collector's Edition.Damn,this game rocks!Totally unlike DA2,this one might actually be the RPG of the year.One thing I wasn't too happy about,it's a bit short,but there are sooooo many choices you can make,I'm currently playing The Witcher 2 for the second time and I'm amazed by all the things I missed during my first session.The graphics are just so awesome!
Regarding the gameplay,I'm actually happy that they changed completely the system of fighting,now it's more challenging and more dynamic,I like it more than the first one's system.One small detail I'm a bit unhappy about though,is fist-fighting and QTE,they're way toooooo easy,just press W,A,S,D and no real challenge whatsoever.
Regarding the storyline,it's full of twists and it's very interesting how this storyline connects with the storyline of The Witcher about the Wild Hunt,and it seems that in The Witcher 3 we will have all our questions answered.Some side-quests are also very nice (the haunted asylum for example).This game is so addictive!

Jammin
July 16, 2011, 09:06 AM
Is anyone planning to get Dark Souls? I probably will. I loved Demon Souls so Dark Soul should be a fun experience.

It all comes down to moneyhungry DLCs...

Last game I finished was The Witcher 2,which by some substantial efforts I managed to buy Collector's Edition.Damn,this game rocks!Totally unlike DA2,this one might actually be the RPG of the year.One thing I wasn't too happy about,it's a bit short,but there are sooooo many choices you can make,I'm currently playing The Witcher 2 for the second time and I'm amazed by all the things I missed during my first session.The graphics are just so awesome!
Regarding the gameplay,I'm actually happy that they changed completely the system of fighting,now it's more challenging and more dynamic,I like it more than the first one's system.One small detail I'm a bit unhappy about though,is fist-fighting and QTE,they're way toooooo easy,just press W,A,S,D and no real challenge whatsoever.
Regarding the storyline,it's full of twists and it's very interesting how this storyline connects with the storyline of The Witcher about the Wild Hunt,and it seems that in The Witcher 3 we will have all our questions answered.Some side-quests are also very nice (the haunted asylum for example).This game is so addictive! The Witcher 2 is definitely a solid game.

Though I wasn't much of a fan of the controls and basic combat system. Despite Dragon Age 2's other shortcomings, i have to admit i think it had a better combat system and control scheme than The Witcher 2; even though i consider Dragon Age 2's battle system inferior to the one Dragon Age Origins used.

So i'll really be looking forward to playing the DLC. Many of the things about Dragon Age 2 that i didn't like were easily fixable(item system, dungeon variety, and having only one freakin' town) and Bioware seemed to fully understand where they messed up. So, while this DLC is unlikely to escape all of the flaws present in the original, they can fix a few of those issues. Which i think will definitely make it worth playing.

riki
July 24, 2011, 09:21 PM
Any Persona fans out here?

If so, do you think Atlus will officially announce Persona 5 (IIRC they are developing it right now) during Persona 4 anime? I think they were showing some game info about the latter when Persona: Trinity Soul was airing.

g0dzax
July 25, 2011, 02:55 AM
Though I wasn't much of a fan of the controls and basic combat system. Despite Dragon Age 2's other shortcomings, i have to admit i think it had a better combat system and control scheme than The Witcher 2; even though i consider Dragon Age 2's battle system inferior to the one Dragon Age Origins used.
I agree with you right here,I also think that DA 2 hat a better combat system and control scheme,but I finally figured out that it has better combat system because it is so easy to play the game,even on the most difficult settings it's just pretty easy to kill everything,whereas in The Witcher 2 you may have difficult problems even when playing on easy.

So i'll really be looking forward to playing the DLC. Many of the things about Dragon Age 2 that i didn't like were easily fixable(item system, dungeon variety, and having only one freakin' town) and Bioware seemed to fully understand where they messed up. So, while this DLC is unlikely to escape all of the flaws present in the original, they can fix a few of those issues. Which i think will definitely make it worth playing.
However,I do not agree here with you.I hope that Bioware will solve all these problems with the next DA(if they make one),you play a game for it's base story and just the game itself,you don't play a game so you can play the DLCs.I,for one,play DA for it's story and it's atmosphere(which has pretty much gone with DA 2),whereas the DLCs can be considered side-quests that could have easily been integrated in the original game as they add almost nothing new to the cannon story of DA.All these problems could have been solved while beta-testing or by some major patch,or maybe it's just me who is not a fan of DLCs since they are pretty short and can be considered side-quests.Admittedly,there are however some good DLCs out there(there is one for Mass Effect 2 that I really enjoyed,Lair Of The Shadow Broker or smth like that),but still...you can't build a good game based on DLCs.
On a more brighter note,what RPG impressed you the most by it's story and story alone?Leave the gameplay and graphics out,just the story(which,in my opinion,is the essence of a RPG).By story I mean the main story but also the side-quests/missions/mini stories?I can't decide between The Elder Scrolls III : Morrowind and Planescape : Torment . The latter has an unique,complicated,intricate story with thousands of side quests and some of them are so awesome...but Morrowind also has a very interesting story,but what attracted me more to it was the whole world and the fact that there are soooo many stories out there that just wait to be discovered together with funny,awesome characters...

Forgot to add something,I'm really curious about the next game in the Gothic series,I wonder if it will be Arcania II or Gothic V,maybe it's a bit early to say this,but I hope that the next one will be the best,since the Gothic series is a very good one(that sunk to the bottom with Gothic III and Forsaken Gods),imho the best game of the series right now is Gothic II and the add-on Night Of The Raven.

kakashi919
July 25, 2011, 11:58 PM
Any Persona fans out here?

If so, do you think Atlus will officially announce Persona 5 (IIRC they are developing it right now) during Persona 4 anime? I think they were showing some game info about the latter when Persona: Trinity Soul was airing.

I liked Persona 3 and Devil Survivor. Persona 3 was great, but at the last part of the game my save file was deleted and I didn't want to go through all that trouble again.. :( Never played any other and not sure if I will lol.

riki
August 24, 2011, 11:31 PM
Excuse me but I just squealed (http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/08/25/atlus_teaser/)

Galactic Tomahawk
August 30, 2011, 06:26 AM
Looks like this could be Persona 4 related.

Though like previously mentioned, they said they were working on a new game before so this could be it.

riki
August 30, 2011, 09:45 PM
OMG! Atlus is going to make two Persona 4 games (http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/08/31/persona_developments/) and confirmed that they're developing Persona 5.

First, the game everyone was expecting due to the recent teaser splash site, a remake of Persona 4. Atlus is bringing the PlayStation 2 title to PlayStation Vita as Persona 4 The Golden. This new version adds a number of new features:

A new character named Mary
1.5 times the voice of the PS2 version
Wireless support for calling on others to help you when you're about to die in a dungeon.
Other elements that fans of the original have heavily requested
New opening anime with new song from Shouji Meguro
New animation movies
A release is set for Spring 2012.

A bit more surprising is Persona 4 The Ultimate In Mayonaka Arena. Atlus is teaming up with Arc System Works for a 2D fighter that will be released first for arcades in Spring 2012, then for PS3 and Xbox 360 in Summer 2012.

Developed by the team behind Arc's BlazBlue fighting series, the Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena has a new story that takes place two years after the events of Persona 4. Characters from Persona 4 and Persona 3 will feature in the game.

Famitsu also has a few preliminary details on the next numbered entry in the Persona series, Persona 5. Basic preparations for the game's development have been completed, with the usual staff members in place. That includes Katsura Hashino as director, Shigenori Soejima as character designer, and Shouji Meguro as main composer.

The fighting game is very unexpected though but it sounds awesome nevertheless.

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Some scans:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h95/sakuraxsyaoran/th_QI73V.jpg (http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h95/sakuraxsyaoran/?action=view&current=QI73V.jpg) http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h95/sakuraxsyaoran/th_11312026.jpg (http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h95/sakuraxsyaoran/?action=view&current=11312026.jpg)

And yes, the girl is Mary/Marie.

Zeltrax
August 31, 2011, 03:19 AM
Okay. I'm not going to watch the p4 anime <_<
I know that sounds..weird of me but actually its not that weird.
I just...don't want to be spoiled. I mean there's still some time left till p4p and I'm getting a vita, so why not :D

riki
August 31, 2011, 05:20 AM
I don't blame you. ^^

The weirdest thing was that long ago I thought, "Wouldn't it be awesome if Atlus made a fighting game in which their characters fight each other?" but I thought that it would never happen since Atlus isn't known for that genre. :XD

cracker
September 07, 2011, 06:42 PM
Persona 3 and 4 were great...two of my favourite PS2 games, Persona 4 edging out 3 just a little. I'm a huge fan of SMT series in general, spin-offs and all.

The Persona anime was absolute garbage, the Persona 4 anime might be a better since its going to follow the game but I'm somewhat skeptical.

Jammin
September 08, 2011, 10:25 AM
Disgaea 4 is awesome.http://www.laymark.com/i/o/63.gif

I was not a fan of Disgaea 3 so i was a little concerned that it might make the same mistakes. It does not. Disgaea 4 is a vastly better game than Disgaea 3 was. It's classic Disgaea fun with even more crazy depth and none of the annoying technical quirks.

And replacing the awkward classroom thing from the previous game with a kinda world map with buildings was a vast improvement. Now all the experience sharing and mana sharing that was done through those "groups" in Disgaea 3 is done through buildings. Which is a lot easier to understand and play around with.

Some other new features i've run across so far...

You can fuse two Prinny's together to form one massively destructive Prinny is hilarious(it works with any monster, actually but i think it's funniest with Prinny's.)
You can build and customize your own pirate ship, no idea what it's for but you can do it.
You can organize your own netherworld political party.
Even more elements to the geoblock puzzles.(blocks that blow up on a timer and when you throw a block beside a same color block it will destroy the block and set off a chain reaction.)

riki
September 16, 2011, 09:14 PM
Persona 4: The Golden website (http://p-atlus.jp/p4g/) is up!

Jammin
September 17, 2011, 12:09 PM
I'm pretty stoked about the news out of tokyo game show today.

There will be a new Suikoden game coming to the PSP(here's a link to the teaser trailer (http://youtu.be/ySAlckdIaic))

It's kinda strange that they are developing it for the PSP considering how close it is to the Vita but then again maybe Konami wants to take not chances. The PSP is a very established console in Japan and if it is a legitimate Suikoden game(and by that i meaning a game with 108 characters a castle and an epic storyline) then it is going to be a must own for any PSP owners who like RPGs.

I find it slightly funny that i, who bought my PSP quite some time ago, seem to be getting my money's worth at the last minute with this console. Virtually every good game i can think of for this system came out within the last year.

benelori
September 18, 2011, 06:49 PM
How does The Old Republic look in your opinion guys? Even if it's an MMO, the rpg part seems to be promising...any thoughts? Or maybe expectations?

g0dzax
September 20, 2011, 10:36 AM
Knights of the Old Republic I and II were definetly solid games and excellent RPGs.From the looks of it,The Old Republic seems to maintain the tradition,and if it somewhat retains the RPG system from the first two games then it will definetly be a good game.I can barely wait for it's release.

Jammin
September 20, 2011, 11:22 AM
I loath MMO's with a burning passion but The Old Republic looks decent. Seems like they have put more work into the story and quests than any such game before it. I also love the crew member recruitment aspect, so you can automate some of the more monotonous aspects of MMO playing.

I'm not really a believer that it will be an MMO with a story as good as a single player RPG, because i think the whole MMO format is extremely unfriendly to storytelling, but i think it looks like Bioware is doing it as well as it can be done.

The only thing i'm cringing for in advance is that Bioware has a history of waaaay overpricing DLC. So combining that tenancy with running an MMO could get unpleasant.

benelori
September 21, 2011, 06:47 AM
Diablo 3 beta gameplay video (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/diablo-iii/video/6335873?hd=1&tag=topslot;watch;1)

kakashi919
September 21, 2011, 07:51 AM
I'm not a fan of MMO nor am I a huge fan of Star Wars, so that game is off my radar. I do like how Skyrim is looking and Bioshock Infinite looks like it's gonna be the game to get. There are a lot of great games to look forward to... FFXIII-2 looks promising, quite a few improvements from the first game. So many games, and yet the only ones I'll be getting when they come out are Fifa 12 and Battlefield 3 :(

benelori
September 22, 2011, 09:00 PM
Skyrim is looking good indeed...it will really be a complex game...I'm more into the bioware companion/party style rpgs nowadays...

What I really like about all these rpgs is what I really like about reading as well...having a main character, see him evolve through a story and with side characters...that's why I really like this Star Wars: TOR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWXODqFo3Z0&feature=feedu) video. It's all about the companions baby:p

I really liked Gothic, and Witcher, which are the sort of lone hero sort of games, but the feeling is a bit diminished a bit by the lack of constant companionship...The Witcher manages to circumvent that a bit...

I'm curious about how will Skyrim do this...what I know is that with Skyrim, the feel of the world and the actual character progress will be the main points for me...besides the story of course

riki
September 24, 2011, 01:08 PM
Anyone getting Dark Souls?

There is a clip of a guy who decided to defeat the first boss using his bare hands even though it took at least an hour to beat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzrQC5hlKOg

Galactic Tomahawk
September 25, 2011, 11:52 AM
I probably won't have the money for a little while, but once I do I'm totally getting it ASAP.

kakashi919
September 25, 2011, 11:23 PM
No PC version, so probably not. :(

I'm playing Cursed Crusade. An interesting game, similar to assassins creed in terms of fighting( which needs a bit of work), but has some interesting elements in the game. Not surprising since ATLUS made it. Haven't reached far, but I like it.

riki
September 26, 2011, 05:02 AM
Actually a French gaming company developed it but Atlus published it. ^^

kakashi919
September 26, 2011, 12:38 PM
>_< Ah, I just assumed since the Atlus logo was plastered all over it lol. Still though, it's a great game.

riki
October 04, 2011, 09:56 PM
LOL It's understandable.

Anyone who is interested in bringing the LE of Black Rock Shooter: The Game over to NA, please vote "Yes" in this poll (http://www.siliconera.com/2011/09/26/black-rock-shooter-fans-we-need-your-help-to-bring-the-premium-box-out-of-japan/) so NISA will bring it over.

---------- Post added October 04, 2011 at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was September 26, 2011 at 09:38 PM ----------

A P4G CM. The new animated scenes looks cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7rCbikyVq

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

For anyone who got Dark Souls, kotaku posted some advice (http://kotaku.com/5846594/welcome-to-dark-souls-heres-what-i-wish-id-known-from-the-start)

cracker
October 21, 2011, 12:37 PM
I started watching the Persona 4 anime, I'm currently at episode 3. So far its good, pretty faithful adaption of the game, possibly too faithful lol If the game is still super fresh in your mind honestly at the moment I see no reason to watch unless you really, really loved it and want a quick second dose.

This series should be much, much better than the previous attempt which turned out to be crap lol

riki
October 21, 2011, 02:10 PM
If you want to discuss more about the Persona 4 anime, you can post over at the thread (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/72875-Persona-4-the-ANIMATION). ;)

Oh, the Persona series is getting its own monthly magazine (http://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/18/persona-gets-its-own-monthly-persona-magazine-in-japan/). It will have information about the series, the Persona 4 anime, and the upcoming Persona 4 games (Persona 4: The Golden and Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena) and anime. It will also have the Persona 3 manga and a Persona 4 spin-off manga.

Jammin
November 05, 2011, 02:46 PM
Elder Scrolls: Skyrim is due out this within a week. Am I the only one here incredibly excited about that?

This looks like it might quite possibly be the greatest RPG of all time. I probably spent 200+ total hours with Oblivion and it various mods. Skyrim looks just as big, just as fun, and visually amazing. Even if it's probably going to be buggy(all elder scrolls games are) it is going to be soooo much fun.

zelllogan
November 05, 2011, 03:09 PM
Elder Scrolls: Skyrim is due out this within a week. Am I the only one here incredibly excited about that?

This looks like it might quite possibly be the greatest RPG of all time. I probably spent 200+ total hours with Oblivion and it various mods. Skyrim looks just as big, just as fun, and visually amazing. Even if it's probably going to be buggy(all elder scrolls games are) it is going to be soooo much fun.
I have trouble with Oblivion. The fact that there are many possibilities & a credible amazing open world is not enough for me. I simply don't like the gameplay in battle. If you take a mage, all you do is hit and run. Gameplay isn't better with a warrior. The price to pay for a game which is so rich is an heavy gameplay. Plus, the story isn't that great either. I will likely try skyrim but not right away. I will wait for game of the year edition or a special offer on steam.

Jammin
November 05, 2011, 03:51 PM
I have trouble with Oblivion. The fact that there are many possibilities & a credible amazing open world is not enough for me. I simply don't like the gameplay in battle. If you take a mage, all you do is hit and run. Gameplay isn't better with a warrior. The price to pay for a game which is so rich is an heavy gameplay. Plus, the story isn't that great either. I will likely try skyrim but not right away. I will wait for game of the year edition or a special offer on steam. It's a bit different this time around.

They have reworked basically all the things I didn't enjoy about Oblivion. For one thing they did away with the stat leveling. Instead going entirely to a upgrade by using skill system and basically removed classes entirely. They also seem to have inserted many of the better immersion elements from games like Gothic/Riven and Fable.(expanded property ownership, npc friendship/affection system, improved npc behavior, and expanded hunting/crafting). It also has a completely reworked quest and npc scripting system.

And best of all they actually have more than 12 voice actors this time, a lot more. It's going to be great to not hear the same dozen people populating the entire world, which is the way fallout was too.

They have also reworked the combat system. Now spells are equipped in a single hand. So you can duel wield them similarly to Bioshock 2. Or use 2 of the same spell to cause a more powerful effect or together. And the dragon shouts which are massive spells which will basically trigger more "epic" spell effects. One of which is in the video below.

http://youtu.be/lR3mlo02d0w

Zeltrax
November 05, 2011, 11:01 PM
Man..I have to say it again. The dragons look so badass and the combat system seems great.
Now my expectation for skyrim is raised again. I wasn't expecting too much tbh, a game that have too much in it sometimes fails.
More than 12 is still less imo, they could use more considering how huge the world is.

Jammin
November 05, 2011, 11:54 PM
Man..I have to say it again. The dragons look so badass and the combat system seems great.
Now my expectation for skyrim is raised again. I wasn't expecting too much tbh, a game that have too much in it sometimes fails.
More than 12 is still less imo, they could use more considering how huge the world is. The cast was 70+ people this time. Which is one of the largest I've ever seen for a video game. So that almost has to be a considerable improvement.

The more I read about it the more I think there is good reason to be optimistic. I am assuming some buggyness because these types of game are almost always buggy but I have yet to hear a single thing about the game design that hasn't impressed me.

And the things they have done like assigning weight to tree branches so wind can effect them and making it so wind effects the flow of water as well should be just amazing to see implemented in an open world game like Skyrim.

riki
November 07, 2011, 07:19 PM
A Japanese website has some information (http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/423/423485/) about the Persona magazine

mak123
November 08, 2011, 05:05 AM
The cast was 70+ people this time. Which is one of the largest I've ever seen for a video game. So that almost has to be a considerable improvement.

I installed morrowind some days ago and i noticed that it shares lots of voices with oblivion. I really can't wait to see double weapons/magics... It must be great (even if they removed spears and hth)

riki
December 21, 2011, 07:54 PM
It looks like this is the official timeline (http://www.siliconera.com/2011/12/21/does-this-legend-of-zelda-timeline-make-sense/) for the Zelda series.

benelori
February 02, 2012, 02:20 PM
Game of Thrones RPG trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EAr4pn4eOQ&feature=g-u-u&context=G203209eFUAAAAAAAPAA)...the animation looks a bit bland, but I wouldn't give up some great ASOIAF story for nothing in the world:p

benelori
March 09, 2012, 10:20 AM
So...I'm not sure this deserves its own thread, because I don't know how many people played the Mass Effect series...here's a short summary of each game

Commander Shepard is a product of the N7 program that trains elite soldiers to make it on the Galactic Scene...he is eligible to be picked as a Spectre, a special agent of the ruling body of the Alliance, the Alliance Council. As he begins his mission he uncovers a plot that involves a rogue Spectre and his special warship. It turns out that the main villain is the starship itself, who works toward summoning his fellow machines to end advanced organic life. They are called the Reapers.

Shepard is contacted by a human fundamentalist and xenophobic group, to fight against a mysterious race known as the Collectors who are agents of the Reapers. Shepard goes out of his way to gather a new team and defeat this threat. The Collectors start abducting entire human colonies, so it's a serious threat for humanity. This sequel presents another face of the galaxy, beyond the Reaper threat, which is the in-fighting and the adversity that Cerberus(the pro-human group) represents.

War arrives to the galaxy in the shape of the Reapers. Shepard has the responsibility to unite the galaxy against this threat, while fighting against Cerberus, who are even more mysterious and even more powerful. This 3way conflict is the main theme of the game, however another important one is that of unity, as we see firsthand the consequences of the age old conflicts between Alliance races.
In the end the purpose of the Reapers is revealed, but Shepard has the chance to find a new way to end the cycle.

So...that's basically it...what I would wish to talk about is Mass Effect 3....there are some epic stuff in the game, the war is portrayed in such a realistic way, that it really gets to you when a beloved character dies, or you are forced to abandon a race for another.

However the ending of the game is slightly disappointing in my opinion, so I'm asking anyone if they have the same feeling. Also how do you feel about how the previous games tie in to the final game. Choices, romances etc...

kakashi919
March 09, 2012, 10:37 AM
Well I haven't played any of them, but a lot of people are really disappointed with ME3. Bad ending, plot holes etc... I do plan to get them, but not anytime soon. I'v never even seen videos of the game lol. The first 2 games were highly recommended to me though.

benelori
March 09, 2012, 02:02 PM
I read about the plot holes, but I've yet to encounter a definite one, something that can only be regarded as a plot hole...the things I've read on other boards are just interpretations or bad memory...

The ending though...well I think it seems a bit rushed and it doesn't offer closure...the game's theme about choice is unnoticeable, but at least it's an end withing the lore...I liked that...let me say Bioware made a bold move here, I wonder if they will give to the fans requesting other endings...

I recommend the previous 2, they are different, but I think the story and the characters are just incredible...and ME3 surpasses both IMO, until the last 10 minutes of the game

Gats
March 09, 2012, 03:03 PM
WoW Bene, already ? :O

I read the test from the website I usually read.
Then I read the players metacritics (on metacritic website), a lot of 0 and 1. Which seems totally absurd, even if I didn't play ME3 yet, a lot of bad commentaries are non sense or totally inconsistent with facts in the tests. Fake commentaries ? Trolls ? Haters ?

Besides there is no mention about multiplayer influencing the solo content in the test...wtf ? I thought it was official.

edit : I don't want to be spoiled. xD

benelori
March 09, 2012, 04:42 PM
WoW Bene, already ? :O

I am a fan after all, and that hasn't changed despite some reactions that you will see on the net:p

I read the test from the website I usually read.
Then I read the players metacritics (on metacritic website), a lot of 0 and 1. Which seems totally absurd, even if I didn't play ME3 yet, a lot of bad commentaries are non sense or totally inconsistent with facts in the tests. Fake commentaries ? Trolls ? Haters ?

Trolls and EA haters...the complaints about the day 1 DLC are, as I thought, totally unfounded...the Protheans were an important part of the story, until we found out that every Prothean thing is a Reaper thing:p....but really, the day 1 DLC is quite okay...others are complaining about the ending, others about EA's Origin and the Multiplayer addition...

Besides there is no mention about multiplayer influencing the solo content in the test...wtf ? I thought it was official.

edit : I don't want to be spoiled. xD

Hmm....it's hard to say that it influences the solo content...but it does have some weight, but I only read this on other boards, because I haven't played any MP...it's easier to unlock all the endings if you play the MP, that's all...

Jammin
March 09, 2012, 04:46 PM
@benelori
Just finished Mass Effect 3....here are my thoughts.

I loved the game but at the same time I feel pretty let down by the ending.

The individual story arcs were great, particularly the Krogan and Quarian ones, and I actually thought the dialogue was stronger than Mass Effect 2; but when it came time to wrap it all up I feel like they tried to get too epic and fancy and that blew up in their face. It felt to me like they shoehorned my character into one of 3 endings and none of them were ones that really represented the motives of Commander Shepard as I was playing him.

I also had hoped the resources I built up would play into the final battle more than they did. A few forces I recruited were never even shown and that annoyed me.

I did buy the DLC and was pretty pleased with it. The character was no "Shale" but he was far more incorporated into the story than the ME2 DLC companions were.

In the end I just feel like I would have been a lot happier with something more..... conventional, possibly wrapped up with a strong epilogue, than I am with those 3 branches of neo-philosophical endings that we got. It reminded me of the ending to the matrix which is never a good thing.

-----------------------------------------

FYI. For my playthorugh I took the straight paragon path and had kept all 12 characters from ME2 alive. The squad-members I used were mainly Garris, Tali, and EDI. Romance opinion: Tali.

My simplified non-spoiler opinion is...

Individual story arcs: Good
Conclusion to the overall story arc: Bad

Gats
March 09, 2012, 05:16 PM
How long was the main adventure ? 30/40h ? Less ? More ?

The fact that you already finished the game worries me a bit.

benelori
March 09, 2012, 05:36 PM

The fact that you already finished the game worries me a bit.

Around that time frame I guess...I haven't actually checked, and I can't right now because my PC is a nest of viruses...but it's not short don't worry...they did shorten the side missions and some of the exploration, but the main mission, or priority missions are vast...or at least that's how it seemed to me, since I played on a higher difficulty level, dunno which one though...

Jammin
March 09, 2012, 05:41 PM

The fact that you already finished the game worries me a bit. Accourding to my clear save 31 hours and 44 minutes and I did every single side mission and explored the galaxy 100%.

On a related note I am very sleep deprived at the moment...http://www.laymark.com/l/o/32.gif

benelori
March 09, 2012, 05:52 PM
@benelori
Just finished Mass Effect 3....here are my thoughts.

I loved the game but at the same time I feel pretty let down by the ending.

The individual story arcs were great, particularly the Krogan and Quarian ones, and I actually thought the dialogue was stronger than Mass Effect 2; but when it came time to wrap it all up I feel like they tried to get too epic and fancy and that blew up in their face. It felt to me like they shoehorned my character into one of 3 endings and none of them were ones that really represented the motives of Commander Shepard as I was playing him.

I also had hoped the resources I built up would play into the final battle more than they did. A few forces I recruited were never even shown and that annoyed me.

I did buy the DLC and was pretty pleased with it. The character was no "Shale" but he was far more incorporated into the story than the ME2 DLC companions were.

In the end I just feel like I would have been a lot happier with something more..... conventional, possibly wrapped up with a strong epilogue, than I am with those 3 branches of neo-philosophical endings that we got. It reminded me of the ending to the matrix which is never a good thing.

-----------------------------------------

FYI. For my playthorugh I took the straight paragon path and had kept all 12 characters from ME2 alive. The squad-members I used were mainly Garris, Tali, and EDI. Romance opinion: Tali.

My simplified non-spoiler opinion is...

Individual story arcs: Good
Ending to the overall story arc: Bad

Indeed...I don't think the ending was that bad...it's just that it wasn't complete...I liked the epic or fancy ending, and it somewhat played along with the theme of sacrifice...and it wasn't that unexpected either...in my ending Shepard dies, and I didn't even get the 3rd option and my romance was Liara...so while I always got hints of blue children and love, and surviving this and that, in the last arc, Liara and others have hinted that Shepard might not survive...

But as you said, it doesn't really reflect the character, or maybe it doesn't reflect the choices and the life with UR crew...so an Epilogue would've been nicer, or an ending where Shepard survives or convinces the Catalyst to do something else than the 3 choices...there's no closure

But the individual story arcs...my god...Mordin's death, Thane's death:scry, the fall of Thessia, the mystery of Cerberus always hanging over your head...I think the mass killing of ME2 really added to the drama...I have no words and had no words at some of the developments...Thane's death was the best...

Resources....I was waiting for a mission with Aria's mercenaries and never got it....that sort of left a hollow feeling...though I agree, and actually there is one thing that the resources influence...whether or not Anderson dies, and to what degree is Earth destroyed...I think that's about it though

The Prothean was nothing impressive...the only interesting thing he added to the story is that the Protheans were sort of enslaving others...but that's kinda it...I think Kasumi from ME2 was a better character, and definitely a more useful squad member. Stealth FTW:p

And I played as Paragon as well, though I messed up my last ME2 playthrough and Tali got killed, so I have no idea if there's an option of making the quarians and geths to make an alliance...but that will be my next playthrough...also I always play with a biotic and someone who has a nice special ability...so I used Liara and Ashley as much as I could...

/me doesn't like Garrus at all...

---------- Post added at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 AM ----------

Accourding to my clear save 31 hours and 44 minutes and I did every single side mission and explored the galaxy 100%.

On a related note I am very sleep deprived at the moment...http://www.laymark.com/l/o/32.gif

Yup...same here...:amuse...and my room is in a mess too:p

Gats
March 09, 2012, 05:53 PM
Accourding to my clear save 31 hours and 44 minutes and I did every single side mission and explored the galaxy 100%.

100%, 31h+ ?
Sounds less than the previous ones, I think.

I won't be able to touch the game before summer anyway.
Plenty of time to decide if I cheat Liara or not. :D

benelori
March 09, 2012, 05:57 PM
100%, 31h+ ?
Sounds less than the previous ones, I think.

I won't be able to touch the game before summer anyway.
Plenty of time to decide if I cheat Liara or not. :D

I always cheated on Liara...and Bioware made it up by adding The Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC...so in the end Liara was always a viable choice:p...Tali and Jack were always the other ones...never got into the normal human females...Liara in ME and Tali in ME2 are just to sweet and cute...and Jack is weird and cocky...much more interesting:p

Though in ME3 there are some other romance options...such as getting hooked up with a reporter, and even homosexual relationships...one for male Shepard and one for FemShep...the FemShep one is more interesting though IMO, that assisstant girl is too cute:p

Jammin
March 09, 2012, 06:39 PM
@benelori

Totally with you on Mordin's death. That was the highpoint of the game for me. I wish Shepard had been able to go out like that.

You can make peace between the Geth and Quarian's; it's actually pretty good. And Legion has some really good moments along that quest-line.

You missed some great stuff with Garis. His mid-mission dialogue is some of the best dialogue in the game in my opinion. Lot's of jokes and awesome bravado. He's the next best thing to a Krogan.(though I really wish I had the option to get a Krogan.....)

----------------------------------------------

I'm fine with Shepard dying, but it was just the way it all happened that sucked. I mean, I obviously couldn't destroy all cybernetics(not with the badass stuff that happened with Legion) I couldn't control the Reaper's that would have gone against the whole moral grain thing, and the third option was to destroy all the mass relays and merge cybernetics and organics into something new which again not even close to what my Shepard was trying to do.(not to mention creates like a million plot holes)

So in the end I feel like the whole crucible plan was a great big fail.:fail

No matter which option you choose your doing that little chode's bidding and I don't like that.

In a game about choice in the end I feel like I had none, I really wanted to say "Screw you you ghostly little douchebag!" and shoot him in his translucent face for creating the reapers and making me run around a forest in slow mo but yet Shepard just had to play along. Grrrrrr.:nerve

Gats
March 10, 2012, 05:40 AM
I always cheated on Liara...and Bioware made it up by adding The Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC...so in the end Liara was always a viable choice:p...Tali and Jack were always the other ones...never got into the normal human females...Liara in ME and Tali in ME2 are just to sweet and cute...and Jack is weird and cocky...much more interesting:p

Though in ME3 there are some other romance options...such as getting hooked up with a reporter, and even homosexual relationships...one for male Shepard and one for FemShep...the FemShep one is more interesting though IMO, that assisstant girl is too cute:p

If you seduce Jack being conciliant she actually has a turn of heart/personality. It can be interesting for ME3. I don't know.

benelori
March 10, 2012, 02:05 PM
@benelori

Totally with you on Mordin's death. That was the highpoint of the game for me. I wish Shepard had been able to go out like that.

You can make peace between the Geth and Quarian's; it's actually pretty good. And Legion has some really good moments along that quest-line.

You missed some great stuff with Garis. His mid-mission dialogue is some of the best dialogue in the game in my opinion. Lot's of jokes and awesome bravado. He's the next best thing to a Krogan.(though I really wish I had the option to get a Krogan.....)

----------------------------------------------

I'm fine with Shepard dying, but it was just the way it all happened that sucked. I mean, I obviously couldn't destroy all cybernetics(not with the badass stuff that happened with Legion) I couldn't control the Reaper's that would have gone against the whole moral grain thing, and the third option was to destroy all the mass relays and merge cybernetics and organics into something new which again not even close to what my Shepard was trying to do.(not to mention creates like a million plot holes)

So in the end I feel like the whole crucible plan was a great big fail.:fail

No matter which option you choose your doing that little chode's bidding and I don't like that.

In a game about choice in the end I feel like I had none, I really wanted to say "Screw you you ghostly little douchebag!" and shoot him in his translucent face for creating the reapers and making me run around a forest in slow mo but yet Shepard just had to play along. Grrrrrr.:nerve

For some reason I never liked him...I liked the more aggressive Krogan type bravado, or the punctual and scientific behaviour of Legion or EDI...and I always had a full biotic in the squad, so Garrus had and has little chances....I might try him out though, it never really occurred to me to use him during the Krogan genophage arc...weird:s...

And that's good news...I actually kinda expected that peace is possible, but never had it because Tali was missing...but that's it, and that was the beauty of the choice heavy environment, and entire huuge war asset was denied in addition to the death itself...which brings me to the main problem with the end which was pretty narrow, and as you said never offered any real choice...

The thing is, that for an end of an entire trilogy this might be a bad ending, but who knows, maybe later Mass Effectt projects or DLC might tie in the endings and start in a new direction...so basically if Bioware makes it so that the ending counts somewhere, or if Shepard's entire life and the ending will count somewhere, then it will take off the heat.

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

If you seduce Jack being conciliant she actually has a turn of heart/personality. It can be interesting for ME3. I don't know.

It is....actually her personality changes are even more visible during ME3:D....though the old Jack is definitely there:p

Jammin
March 12, 2012, 11:37 AM
For some reason I never liked him...I liked the more aggressive Krogan type bravado, or the punctual and scientific behaviour of Legion or EDI...and I always had a full biotic in the squad, so Garrus had and has little chances....I might try him out though, it never really occurred to me to use him during the Krogan genophage arc...weird:s...

And that's good news...I actually kinda expected that peace is possible, but never had it because Tali was missing...but that's it, and that was the beauty of the choice heavy environment, and entire huuge war asset was denied in addition to the death itself...which brings me to the main problem with the end which was pretty narrow, and as you said never offered any real choice...

The thing is, that for an end of an entire trilogy this might be a bad ending, but who knows, maybe later Mass Effectt projects or DLC might tie in the endings and start in a new direction...so basically if Bioware makes it so that the ending counts somewhere, or if Shepard's entire life and the ending will count somewhere, then it will take off the heat.

I don't think anything is going to take off the heat to be honest. And it's not because all 3 endings are depressing, for some reason or another, it's because Mass Effect was about shaping the universe and all 3 endings take that away from gamers. So there is a lingering sense that a story we all shaped with our own hands was taken out of our hands at the end.

I mean, the outcry has already started for Bioware (http://gamerant.com/mass-effect-3-game-ending-fan-petition-johnj-137926/) and it's that's going to get worse before it gets better.

In the poll from Bioware's website (http://social.bioware.com/633606/polls/), that there is a screenshot of in that article, only 700 people out of almost 28,000 are ok with the endings.

I can't imagine anything will actually result from fans attempts to get Bioware to "fix it", not because an "extra ending dlc pack" couldn't be done or wouldn't be profitable but because it would be like very publicly admitting that they screwed up; and that just doesn't happen very often.

-------------------------------------------

The only thing that gives me hope that Bioware might actually do something to try and remedy the situation is that they haven't said much of anything defending the ending. So perhaps internally some of them were not entirely on-board with ending the series this way or are at the very least now questioning this creative direction.

Because the only word to come from anybody involved as of yet is from the producer Michael Gamble via twitter and all he said was...

"By the way... I am reading all of your thoughts. Just not ready to comment yet."

If they really are reading what's being said by fans maybe it isn't too late because not all of the feedback is just incoherent fan raging. Some are rather eloquent and concise. Like this bit from the original poster of that poll (http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/9810433). It's pretty much a calm, rational, and specific explanation of exactly why so many are so disappointed.

Shinsatsu
March 15, 2012, 11:28 PM
Just finished Mass Effect 3. Also, finished reading all of your thoughts.
I can understand how some of you aren't big fans of such endings... I liked the ending I got. The last choice part was amazing and it felt like a true RPG. I never expected ME3 to be better than all the previous ones!
The story was great except for some details that you guys mentioned. The races separate issues and stories were terrific... The game-play was awesome too ^^ especially those huge fights.

I ended up spending a lot of time on this game. Insanity difficulty made me lose so much time too -_-

If I were to rate this game, I'd say 9.5/10.
Considering what Bioware did with Dragon Age.

Jammin
March 16, 2012, 12:21 AM
I think 95% of it was the potential of the series fully realized.

I really can't say enough good things about it with the exception of the about 5% but to me that 5% somehow miraculously managed to not only taint ME3 but all the previous games as well.

http://youtu.be/4H_A7SeawU4

I don't really expect Bioware to change the ending though. In the end all the choices I made, over the course of 3 games, were utterly meaningless; which to me removes the entire appeal of the series as a whole. It is what it is. I think it sucks but what's done is done. Time to move on.:(

If I was to rate ME3 I would have to give it a 7/10, and I would caution any who are going to play it to rent(not buy)if they can.

Gats
March 16, 2012, 04:16 AM
Huh there are some people who rate it 4/10 or less only because of the ending, while the rest is exceptionnal for them. I guess testing games is really not something which can be shared. :fail

Shinsatsu
March 16, 2012, 07:45 AM
I think a lot of people like those "boom you win, and happily ever after endings"... But ME3 had to have a similar ending. The enemy is too powerful to be beaten in the old fashioned way. And the main character is too perfect to stay alive. That's why I think that the ending of ME3 was good.

Jammin
March 16, 2012, 08:11 AM
I think a lot of people like those "boom you win, and happily ever after endings"... But ME3 had to have a similar ending. The enemy is too powerful to be beaten in the old fashioned way. And the main character is too perfect to stay alive. That's why I think that the ending of ME3 was good. Opinions differ, I realize that, and that's fine; I am happy for you.(the fact that you are not experiencing the same sense of disappointment is definitely a good thing) The criticisms I have for the ending of Mass Effect 3 are in no way ever meant to criticize those who do like it but.....

The issue for me is there is only one ending with slight variations and none of my decisions played into it. I would not mind if the ending didn't suit my tastes,or if Shepard died. In fact the whole crew of the Normandy could have died and I would have been fine with it; I could probably even get past all the plot holes which that video I linked to goes over.

What I can't be fine with, or get over, is the fact that nothing you do matters in the end. Making all the decisions across the series completely pointless and reducing replayability of all 3 games to near zero. A narrative defined by choice is to me what elevated Mass Effect above being just a pretty but mediocre 3rd person shooter but if the choices don't matter...... then they aren't really choices at all. So where does that leave the series?

benelori
March 16, 2012, 10:06 AM
Just finished Mass Effect 3. Also, finished reading all of your thoughts.
I can understand how some of you aren't big fans of such endings... I liked the ending I got. The last choice part was amazing and it felt like a true RPG. I never expected ME3 to be better than all the previous ones!
The story was great except for some details that you guys mentioned. The races separate issues and stories were terrific... The game-play was awesome too ^^ especially those huge fights.

I ended up spending a lot of time on this game. Insanity difficulty made me lose so much time too -_-

If I were to rate this game, I'd say 9.5/10.
Considering what Bioware did with Dragon Age.

I haven't played on Insanity yet, and I'm sooo looking forward to those "zerg" rushes in the last battle on earth....awesome...but I'm really afraid I won't be able to defeat Kai Leng's phantoms:scry

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Opinions differ, I realize that, and that's fine; I am happy for you.(the fact that you are not experiencing the same sense of disappointment is definitely a good thing) The criticisms I have for the ending of Mass Effect 3 are in no way ever meant to criticize those who do like but.....

The issue for me is there is only one ending with slight variations and none of my decisions played into it. I would not mind if the ending didn't suit my tastes,or if Shepard died. In fact the whole crew of the Normandy could have died and I would have been fine with it; I could probably even get past all the plot holes which that video I linked to goes over.

What I can't be fine with, or get over, is the fact that nothing you do matters in the end. Making all the decisions across the series completely pointless and reducing replayability of all 3 games to near zero. A narrative defined by choice is to me what elevated Mass Effect above being just a pretty but mediocre 3rd person shooter but if the choices don't matter...... then they aren't really choices at all. So where does that leave the series?

Funnily enough the ending didn't kill the replay value of the game for me...even in previous games I always ended up with the perfect paragon ending, except my very first Shepard....and that's whom I used in ME3...
Of course I will wait for some additional DLCs, the import face bug-fix, and some patches, and then I'm gonna replay the entire game, but this time with Tali in it:p, as a love interest too...cuz my original Shepard lost Tali in the suicide mission:fail....

But after the face import bug-fix arrives....I will finally be able to bring my baldy Shepard into action:wtf

Shinsatsu
March 16, 2012, 10:26 AM
@bene: I played as a sniper with tactical cloak and everything. Combined with my aiming skills, I defeated him in a single try :D

zelllogan
March 16, 2012, 02:53 PM
Just finished mass effect 3 right now.
Good parts:
- just epic & spectacular: The mission about the genophage is one of the most impressive run I had in a game. The game is really impressive
- Good dialogues, Great choices to do

Bad Parts:
- No gamepad support on PC. Seriously ?
- Import a save from mass effect 2 can be a nightmare
- And the very worst: Multiplayer which affect the offline story ? WTF ? Plus, the multiplayer game is just not good enough. I don't even think it's possible to have the perfect ending without multiplayer, DLC or whatever

Note: A massive 17/20. Not perfect but a game I will remember for a long time. There are some games I know I will remember for years & it's one of them. And I'm also glad that Bioware didn't pull a "Dragon Age 2" on us.

About the ending:

I choose the middlepath between the 3 options at the end because I thought it was the most logical ending. Everyone in peace, synthetic & organic life merged. And I felt kinda bad about what I had to do to the entire Geth race ...
I never expected a true happy ending anyway with everyone going back to home happy & in one piece. It wouldn't fit.

But I would have liked to know what happened to all allies & species after the end game.
Example:
- I cured the genophage. I expected some remarks about it. At least some text at the end.
- Tali & Garrus were together ... so a small remark about children or something

But I did love the small sequence after the credits: Shepard is a legend: the shepard.

Gats
March 16, 2012, 03:27 PM
Just finished mass effect 3 right now.
Good parts:
- just epic & spectacular: The mission about the genophage is one of the most impressive run I had in a game. The game is really impressive
- Good dialogues, Great choices to do

Bad Parts:
- No gamepad support on PC. Seriously ?
- Import a save from mass effect 2 can be a nightmare
- And the very worst: Multiplayer which affect the offline story ? WTF ? Plus, the multiplayer game is just not good enough. I don't even think it's possible to have the perfect ending without multiplayer, DLC or whatever

Note: A massive 17/20. Not perfect but a game I will remember for a long time. There are some games I know I will remember for years & it's one of them. And I'm also glad that Bioware didn't pull a "Dragon Age 2" on us.

About the ending:

I choose the middlepath between the 3 options at the end because I thought it was the most logical ending. Everyone in peace, synthetic & organic life merged. And I felt kinda bad about what I had to do to the entire Geth race ...
I never expected a true happy ending anyway with everyone going back to home happy & in one piece. It wouldn't fit.

But I would have liked to know what happened to all allies & species after the end game.
Example:
- I cured the genophage. I expected some remarks about it. At least some text at the end.
- Tali & Garrus were together ... so a small remark about children or something

But I did love the small sequence after the credits: Shepard is a legend: the shepard.

I fail to see how a gamepad is supposed to be better for TPS on PC.

zelllogan
March 16, 2012, 03:44 PM
I fail to see how a gamepad is supposed to be better for TPS on PC.
For comfort reason, I always prefer a gamepad. keyboard + mouse is giving me pain at my wrist.
Plus, if you play an adept or someone who fight in close quarter, it's hardly a TPS.

Gats
March 21, 2012, 06:44 AM
A Mass effect 3 DLC is coming for....Final Fantasy XIII-2.
So we'll have FF characters with clothes/armors from ME3.

:rofl

Ready to pay for that ? :derp

:fail

Jammin
March 21, 2012, 11:31 AM
I've played a little Tales of Graces F this week. It's an fine game. I think critics are overrating it big time though.

The combat system doesn't feel as customizable as previous Tales games. Mainly because you have 4 heavy attacks(or B artes) that you can choose in the conventional style and the rest are lighter attacks that you can't tweak at all (A artes) and there are no normal attacks anymore. So there really is no penalty for throwing your strongest technique out 20 times a fight. Artes instead use quickly regenerating CP, but only really to prevent pure button mashing.

The lack of legit world map also detracts quite a bit from the experience for me because you can't really get a feel for the landscape, but it is a port of a Wii game so that's to be expected I suppose.

It had quite an extensive crafting system too, but it was a little unbalanced. Making it very easy to make uberweapons and uberarmor pretty early on and upgrade the hell out of them.

It's also yet another Tales game without any kind of affection system, like tales of Symphonia had, so player actions have no effect on how characters regard the main character.

Another interesting creative decision was the titles. Basically all artes and major ability upgrades are gained through by devoting SP to titles, you still level but that seems to be base stats only. Each title has 5 tiers, and each tier awards you with an ability, arte, or extra costume. I like this idea but the sheer number of titles kind of diminishes their value. I think they would have been better off with 25 titles with 20 tiers instead of 100 with 5 which is about how many there are per character.

Overall I thought it was a reasonably fun but extremely easy game that doesn't quite live up to the hype.

A Mass effect 3 DLC is coming for....Final Fantasy XIII-2.
So we'll have FF characters with clothes/armors from ME3.

Ready to pay for that ? :derp

:fail How was Final Fantasy XIII-2 anyway? I kinda just ignored it because I hated Final Fantasy XIII so much.

Gats
March 21, 2012, 11:40 AM
I didn't play FF XIII-2, Jammin, just read the test/review and saw some videos. From what I understood, the developers corrected (or tried) everything they did wrong (sometimes overdid it) in the first one.

So you don't have 20h of corridors and stuff like that. Since the story is based on time travel, you're visiting the same places (I don't know how various they are) at different times. It seems that the fights are easy, you even can avoid most of them. The male hero who is with Sera's sister has no personality flaws, which is annoying for me, but not for the guy who tested it...well. Other than that... I don't remember.

Shinsatsu
March 21, 2012, 01:48 PM
did you guys read the letter from ME3 to the fans? lol they said they were shocked by the feedback about the ending and it looks like they are sorry lol

Gats
March 21, 2012, 02:03 PM
did you guys read the letter from ME3 to the fans? lol they said they were shocked by the feedback about the ending and it looks like they are sorry lol

They say we'll see additionnal content for the game which would complete the end in way or another. Quite vague.
If it turns to be a DLC you have to pay...I think that fanrage will be more than infinite.

Jammin
March 21, 2012, 10:21 PM
They say we'll see additionnal content for the game which would complete the end in way or another. Quite vague.
If it turns to be a DLC you have to pay...I think that fanrage will be more than infinite. I think fans will take what they can get at this point. There is a thread on the Bioware forums that's called "what would you pay for an additional ending dlc" Two of my favorite quotes from that thread are....

"I would throw $10 at them just to make this ending go away!"
and
"I would mail them my credit card."

Still, I think free DLC is definitely the smart move from a PR standpoint.

---------------------------------------------------------

The whole altering a games ending thing is not as big a hallmark moment as media outlets are making it out to be either. Bethesda did it for Fallout 3, and then sold DLC packs off of it and nobody even remembers.

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

By the way I think regardless of how one feels about the Mass Effect ending they will find this hilarious.

http://youtu.be/vG4EyfXOTJ4

Also great...

http://youtu.be/467pmIX-oZo

Gats
March 29, 2012, 05:34 AM
Game of Thrones...Everywhere...Everywhere ! :arf
It's VOSTfr so you can watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9XMlEzOopdM

I don't know what to expect from this game, I fear the usual stupid licenced game but I don't know.

Shinsatsu
March 29, 2012, 08:30 AM
Did anyone here play Disgaea series? If so, please tell me if it's good cuz I don't trust internet reviews anymore.

Jammin
March 29, 2012, 08:47 AM
Did anyone here play Disgaea series? If so, please tell me if it's good cuz I don't trust internet reviews anymore.I love it but whether or not you think it's good is going to be a matter of taste.

Disgaea is a slightly peculiar form of turn based strategy JRPG with some neat puzzle elements and an unbelievable amount of depth. The graphics aren't very flashy but all the stories are funny and enjoyable. The actual gameplay is something that's hard to explain because of how unique it is. I suspect the only way to truly know whether it's your kind of thing or not is to give it try.

In terms of story I would rate them....

Disgaea - 9/10
Disgaea II - 8/10
Digaaea III - 6/10
Disgaea IV - 7/10

riki
March 29, 2012, 08:58 AM
Game of Thrones...Everywhere...Everywhere ! :arf
It's VOSTfr so you can watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9XMlEzOopdM

I don't know what to expect from this game, I fear the usual stupid licenced game but I don't know.

Hopefully the game is good because my brother and I are thinking of buying it because of the preorder bonuses:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/videogames/detail-page/GoT_book_PS3_nologo_white.jpg

kakashi919
March 29, 2012, 10:54 AM
Disgaea is awesome! :XD

Shinsatsu
March 29, 2012, 11:50 AM
thanks guys. I'll give them a try.

benelori
March 31, 2012, 09:39 AM
I think Martin is working with the game producers on the plot, so I think it would be a cool story...but a good RPG has other elements besides story, so I'm a bit in doubt with this GoT game

riki
March 31, 2012, 10:30 AM
True, gameplay and camera settings are other factors to consider. ^^

Gats
March 31, 2012, 01:02 PM
They released an explanation about the combat system while ago :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Ti0SeYaUU

Jammin
March 31, 2012, 01:57 PM
I find it very interesting that Atlus is involving in this.

I consider them to be a pretty good RPG developer. They tend to be a bit more daring with game design than other companies. That could be a good sign for this game. While it doesn't necessarily mean the game will be great, as Atlus isn't the only company involved, it's worth noting that titles like Persona 4, Catherine, and Demon Souls were all projects Atlus was involved in.

I'm not a big Game of Thrones fan (I was no fan of the books, nor the HBO series, TBH) but I'm going to keep an eye on this game it might not just been the classic popular movie/tv show tie in travesty that people might expect.

riki
March 31, 2012, 03:55 PM
Oh, Atlus is only publishing the game in N. America; they're not developing it. The good thing about Atlus is that they usually give out good preorder goodies. ^^

Jammin
March 31, 2012, 04:05 PM
Oh, Atlus is only publishing the game in N. America; they're not developing it. The good thing about Atlus is that they usually give out good preorder goodies. ^^Yeah, I realize that; it was the same way with Demon Souls and 3D Dot Heroes. My point was that projects they are involved with tend to be at least interesting. That's kinda Atlus' market niche. If Atlus is producing there must have been something about the concept they were pitched that they liked.

Which gives reason for some optimism because the worst problem with most tv/movie tie in games is that they tend to be boring linear things with forgettable stories and gameplay; and those are just not the kind of projects Atlus involves themselves with normally.

Gats
March 31, 2012, 04:39 PM
The game is developed by Cyanide (a French studio I think), difficult to have an opinion about their RPG experience, their past creations were essentialy sport games. Among those, a heroic-fantasy sport game named Blood Bowl.

The thing is, in this case, the game is also a book serie tie-in. The series itself comes from the books. So we have a lot of materials for the game, unlike some other licenced game.

riki
March 31, 2012, 05:03 PM
Unfortunately there are some bad games (e.g. The Cursed Crusade), but I agree that Atlus usually pick the good ones. ^^ You'll be surprised to read some comments onine complaining that Atlus is becoming too "mainstream" because they don't always license niche JRPG. In fact, some people complained when they first announced that they're publishing GoT. >.>

Shinsatsu
April 01, 2012, 07:42 PM
Unfortunately there are some bad games (e.g. The Cursed Crusade), but I agree that Atlus usually pick the good ones. ^^ You'll be surprised to read some comments onine complaining that Atlus is becoming too "mainstream" because they don't always license niche JRPG. In fact, some people complained when they first announced that they're publishing GoT. >.>
Amen to The Cursed Crusade... it was disturbingly bad.

As for Disgaea, it's funny as hell ^^

Gats
April 05, 2012, 11:49 AM
GRR Martin is talking about the Game of Thrones game and video games in general :
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/03/translating-a-game-of-thrones-with-george-r-r-martin/

One interesting quote among many others :

"The entire game was written by Cyanide, including the plot and character dialogue. But I did have creative input at many points during the process," Martin told Joystiq. When he met with members of Cyanide to review the game's design document, he made sure that the experience wouldn't break canon. "What they're doing is a parallel story to some of the early events in Ice and Fire, so my primary concern was that nothing in the game altered the events in the books."

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 AM ----------

Breaking news :

Following the fanrage, BioWare will release a free DLC (named "Extended Cut") which will give a new conclusion to the game.

:super

Jammin
April 05, 2012, 12:07 PM
That interview from George RR Martin has me even more intrigued about this game.

It seems in development they were very aware of what a dangers tie in games seem to suffer from. Namely how they tend to be extremely linear and very non-immersive. And understanding those potential problems and how they can ruin a gaming experience is a big step toward avoiding those issues.

Gats
April 05, 2012, 04:07 PM
Someone listed all the official promises about Mass Effect 3 end :
Without spoiling, how far from the truth was it ? A blatant lie or a twisted truth ? :derp
I think I'll receive the game after they release the free DLC which changes the ending.

Official Mass Effect Website
http://masseffect.com/about/story/

“Experience the beginning, middle, and end of an emotional story unlike any
other, where the decisions you make completely shape your experience
and outcome.”

Interview with Mac Walters (Lead Writer)
http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/02/28/mass-effect-3-mac-walters/

“[The presence of the Rachni] has huge consequences in Mass
Effect 3. Even just in the final battle with the Reapers.”

Interview with Mac Walters (Lead Writer)
http://business.financialpost.com/2012/03/05/qa-mass-effect-3s-mac-walters-on-how-the-game-tries-to-reach-all-audiences/

“I’m always leery of saying there are 'optimal' endings, because I think
one of the things we do try to do is make different endings that are
optimal for different people “

Interview with Mike Gamble (Associate Producer)
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/334598/interviews/mass-effect-3-weve-brought-back-a-lot-of-what-was-missing-in-me2/

“And, to be honest, you [the fans] are crafting your Mass Effect story as
much as we are anyway.”

http://www.360magazine.co.uk/interview/mass-effect-3-has-many-different-endings/

“There are many different endings. We wouldn’t do it any other way. How
could you go through all three campaigns playing as your Shepard and
then be forced into a bespoke ending that everyone gets? But I can’t
say any more than that…”

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-02-bioware-mass-effect-3-ending-will-make-some-people-angry

“Every decision you've made will impact how things go. The player's also the
architect of what happens."

“You'll get answers to everything. That was one of the key things. Regardless
of how we did everything, we had to say, yes, we're going to provide
some answers to these people.”

“Because a lot of these plot threads are concluding and because it's being
brought to a finale, since you were a part of architecting how they
got to how they were, you will definitely sense how they close was
because of the decisions you made and because of the decisions you
didn't make”

Interview with Casey Hudson (Director)
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/04/28/casey-hudson-interview-mass-effect-3.aspx

“For people who are invested in these characters and the back-story of the
universe and everything, all of these things come to a resolution in
Mass Effect 3. And they are resolved in a way that's very different
based on what you would do in those situations.”

http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/02/casey-hudson-bioware-co-created-mass-effect-3-with-the-sometimes-cranky-fans-interview/

“Fans want to make sure that they see things resolved, they want to get
some closure, a great ending. I think they’re going to get that.”

“Mass Effect 3 is all about answering all the biggest questions in the
lore, learning about the mysteries and the Protheans and the Reapers,
being able to decide for yourself how all of these things come to an
end.”

Interviewer: “So are you guys the creators or the stewards of the franchise?”
Hudson: “Um… You know, at this point, I think we’re co-creators with
the fans. We use a lot of feedback.”

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/01/10/mass1525-effect-3-cas5ey-fdsafdhudson-interviewae.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

Interviewer: [Regarding the numerous possible endings of Mass Effect 2] “Is that
same type of complexity built into the ending of Mass Effect 3?”
Hudson: “Yeah, and I’d say much more so, because we have the ability to
build the endings out in a way that we don’t have to worry about
eventually tying them back together somewhere. This story arc is
coming to an end with this game. That means the endings can be a lot
more different. At this point we’re taking into account so many
decisions that you’ve made as a player and reflecting a lot of that
stuff. It’s not even in any way like the traditional game endings,
where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got
ending A, B, or C.....The endings have a lot more sophistication and
variety in them.”

“We have a rule in our franchise that there is no canon. You as a player
decide what your story is.”

EDIT: Couple more interesting quotes I found, enjoy......or not.

Mike Gamble (Associate Producer)
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1027650/mass_effect_3_reapers_can_win_bioware.html

Mass Effect 3 will shake up the player's moral choices more than ever
before, even going so far as allowing the Reapers to win the battle
for Earth, according to BioWare's community representative Mike
Gamble.

In an inteview with NowGamer at Gamescom, we asked if BioWare was taking risks with Mass Effect 3's
plot, including a negative ending in which the Reapers win. Gamble simply said, "Yes". We asked him again to confirm what he had just said and he said, "Yes".

Mike Gamble (Associate Producer)
http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1229983/mass_effect_3_developer_interview_shepard_coop_story_details.html

"Of course you don’t have to play multiplayer, you can choose to play
all the side-quests in single-player and do all that stuff you’ll
still get all the same endings and same information, it’s just a
totally different way of playing"

Casey Hudson (Director)
http://gamescatalyst.com/2012/03/casey-hudson-kinect-the-future-of-interactive-stories/

“The whole idea of Mass Effect3 is resolving all of the biggest questions, about the Protheons and
the Reapers, and being in the driver's seat to end the galaxy and all
of these big plot lines, to decide what civilizations are going to
live or die: All of these things are answered in Mass Effect 3.”

Casey Hudson (Director)
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/336331/interviews/mass-effect-3-we-cant-go-on-holiday-our-dlc-is-really-good/?page=2

“There is a huge set of consequences that start stacking up as you approach the end-game. And
even in terms of the ending itself, it continues to break down to
some very large decisions. So it's not like a classic game ending
where everything is linear and you make a choice between a few things
- it really does layer in many, many different choices, up to the
final moments, where it's going to be different for everyone who
plays it.”

EDIT: Thanks to Skidrow-Garrett for pointing out another mystifying quote or two. It seems Bioware worked for years on the ending and are really pleased with it. I think it makes new DLC to address all the concerns less likely, unfortunately.

Ray Muzyka (Co-Founder of Bioware)
http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/the-doctors-from-bioware-discuss-the-old-republic-launch-ending-a-trilogy-a

“I just finished an end to end playthrough, for me the ending was the
most satisfying of any game I’ve ever played….the decisions you make in
this game are epic,”

“The team has been planning
for this for years, since the beginning of the Mass Effect franchise.
Largely the same team, most of the same leads have worked on this for
years and years. They’ve thought about [the ending] for years and years.
It’s not something they’ve had to solve in a week or a month even, but
over the course of five or ten years.”

Jammin
April 05, 2012, 04:20 PM
Wow, it's actually impressive how ever single one those is a lie in one way or another. Some of those aren't even close to the truth.

I'd say the only statement there that could be entirely true is this one

Interviewer: “So are you guys the creators or the stewards of the franchise?”
Hudson: “Um… You know, at this point, I think we’re co-creators with
the fans. We use a lot of feedback.” Because they are at least trying to address the the core issues gamers such as myself have with the ending, so in a way that proves that they really do listen and care.

Some of those are bold faced lies though. Like this one...

“The team has been planning
for this for years, since the beginning of the Mass Effect franchise.
Largely the same team, most of the same leads have worked on this for
years and years. They’ve thought about [the ending] for years and years.
It’s not something they’ve had to solve in a week or a month even, but
over the course of five or ten years.” The mass effect team has openly admitted that the ending wasn't even really decided upon till late November of last year. As they admitted to delaying Martin Sheen's Illusive Man voice acting session for just that reason. So it really was a last minute thing.

Gats
April 05, 2012, 04:49 PM
Wow, it's actually impressive how ever single one those is a lie in one way or another. Some of those aren't even close to the truth.

I'd say the only statement there that could be entirely true is this one

Because they are at least trying to address the the core issues gamers such as myself have with the ending, so in a way that proves that they really do listen and care.

Some of those are bold faced lies though. Like this one...

The mass effect team has openly admitted that the ending wasn't even really decided upon till late November of last year. As they admitted to delaying Martin Sheen's Illusive Man voice acting session for just that reason. So it really was a last minute thing.

I also read somewhere (bioware forum I think) that several of these..."official statements" have been made less than one month (or was it within 6 weeks ?) before the game's release, which means the game was "ready" at the time. :teehee

:no

Jammin
April 05, 2012, 05:01 PM

I also read somewhere (bioware forum I think) that several of these..."official statements" have been made less than one month (or was it within 6 weeks ?) before the game's release, which means the game was "ready" at the time. :teehee

:noIt's really hard to imagine how they could have thought all this stuff was true. I think they might have just been saying what they thought gamers wanted to hear without really considering what was true, and just figuring that no matter what they do fans would love it; and since they would love it nobody would ever really consider how it was sold to them. It's the only explanation I can think of.

Because whether someone liked or disliked the ending, it is nothing like what is being described in all these.

Gats
April 05, 2012, 05:18 PM
It's really hard to imagine how they could have thought all this stuff was true. I think they might have just been saying what they thought gamers wanted to hear without really considering what was true, and just figuring that no matter what they do fans would love it; and since they would love it nobody would ever really consider how it was sold to them. It's the only explanation I can think of.

Because whether someone liked or disliked the ending, it is nothing like what is being described in all these.

With what they said we can even file a complaint and make them pay. It's unbelievable that they crossed the line that much even from a cynically point of view.

Luckily the fanrage was huge enough.

riki
April 05, 2012, 11:33 PM
For anyone who haven't tried any of the Persona series, Persona 3: FES is coming to the PSN store next week (http://gematsu.com/2012/04/persona-3-fes-hits-ps2-classics-next-week). It will only cost $9.99 so I would highly recommend you guys check it out. :thumbs

Shinsatsu
April 06, 2012, 08:01 PM
For anyone who haven't tried any of the Persona series, Persona 3: FES is coming to the PSN store next week (http://gematsu.com/2012/04/persona-3-fes-hits-ps2-classics-next-week). It will only cost $9.99 so I would highly recommend you guys check it out. :thumbs

http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_0157.gif
I will play it after Disgaea :super

Gats
April 14, 2012, 07:28 AM
Among my the other games I plan to play after the final exam, I'm currently thinking about the Witcher (1&2), it seems to be a very good RPG series. Did anyone play it already ?

How is it compared to Dragon Age series for example ?

Jammin
April 14, 2012, 08:58 AM
Among my the other games I plan to play after the final exam, I'm currently thinking about the Witcher (1&2), it seems to be a very good RPG series. Did anyone play it already ?

How is it compared to Dragon Age series for example ?Both Witcher games are good dark fantasy RPGs, though to be honest I don't think it's quite as good as review sites say they are. The plot-lines branch and they are well written but the combat is clunky and you don't have much freedom. Each chapter basically drops you in a zone where you can operate freely until the story moves to the next chapter and new zone.

In terms of how it compares to Dragon Age. It's a lot darker and a much more plot oriented. With Dragon Age much of the experience was driven by companion characters, both Witcher games are far more solitary. Gearalt tends to fight his battles alone.

Gats
April 14, 2012, 09:35 AM
Both Witcher games are good dark fantasy RPGs, though to be honest I don't think it's quite as good review sites say they are. The plot-lines branch and they are well written but the combat is clunky and you don't have much freedom. Each chapter basically drops you in a zone where you can operate freely until the story moves to the next chapter and new zone.

In terms of how it compares to Dragon Age. It's a lot darker and a much more plot oriented. With Dragon Age much of the experience was driven by companion characters, both Witcher games are far more solitary. Gearalt tends to fight his battles alone.

So unlike DA 1 you can't change city anytime you want ?

Jammin
April 14, 2012, 09:37 AM
So unlike DA 1 you can't change city anytime you want ? Unfortunately not. There isn't even any kind of world map. Which doesn't seem to bother some people, but it bothered me a good bit.

benelori
April 15, 2012, 09:07 AM
There are definitely some limitations compared to other games, but I think that's just th focus of the Witcher games...it's th story of Geralt...I recommend the books...there's a short story collection and a novel, both translated to english...there are other novels as well, just not translated, yet...they offer great insight into the world of the Witcher, and they give good background to the games, and shed a different light on some characters...

Foltest for example or the other rulers of the realm...they always seemed a bit incompetent and idiotic to me...but the books changed that a bit...

Witcher 2...I still couldn't believe how certain friends of Geralt are not that loyal as I expected them to be...most disturbing was Triss...though if you read the books she does seem like a manipulative bitch who tries to snatch Geralt from his true love, Yennefer.

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

How is it compared to Dragon Age series for example ?

In light of current RPGs I don't really know where to rank the first Witcher...it was a great game when it came out, it still is, but has some really annoying stuff...Witcher 2 though....Game of the Year 2011 IMO...story and characters matter to me a lot, so that has a great say in it, and the combat is much more player oriented and a bit harder than in the first Witcher...they improved it a lot...

I recommend both for the story, but only the Witcher 2 for its gameplay

zelllogan
April 16, 2012, 04:23 PM
Witcher 2 game of the year ??? Above Skyrim ? Hell no :D.

benelori
April 21, 2012, 05:57 PM
Witcher 2 game of the year ??? Above Skyrim ? Hell no :D.

Let the endless debate commence!!:bbb

Better story and characters, more impactful choices, better combat, and technically more polished...Skyrim story was average at best, although customization was way above, and exploration was waay above...but that doesn't matter to me...

Crude
April 21, 2012, 06:48 PM
The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition looks gorgeous :zomg. One of these days I have to get the first game as well as this new release.