PDA

View Full Version : Discussion To pay or not to pay!

deathgrip
July 05, 2010, 01:17 AM
This seems appropriate given the recent events in the manga world. When a legal online manga site comes along, would you be willing to pay to use it?

Newkerzy
July 05, 2010, 08:24 AM
Nope, sorry. I still don't trust online payments since you never know if there will be a risk of getting hacked.

Kaiten
July 05, 2010, 10:50 AM
You won't have to pay. When legal online manga comes it will be crunchyroll, not something like but the real thing. They will have a free option, even if it means being a week behind the Japanese release. Not sure how they will do that with manga, it's easy for weeklies but hard with monthlies. Anyway, point is that there will be options for free online reading or a premium service that gets paying members a bit extra. I wouldn't pay for crap online, I buy the books, but most likely online will retain free options when crunchyroll becomes an online reader. Since they are competing with free, and some publishers already have free online readers, there is no reason to believe that crunchyroll will only have pay options. Given the difference between manga and anime there may not even be a pay option. They may just have advertising and use manga to lure readers to anime and other crunchyroll services that can turn a profit.

Newkerzy
July 06, 2010, 03:56 AM
If they're planning to have a free option I hope they at least do the same thing that Brotherhood & other same week anime simulcasts. Besides, isn't there some way to get revenue by clicking? (you click, then the authors & site gets revenues.) and this is all free for readers.

Niirouge
October 12, 2010, 01:24 AM
I'd be willing to pay if I REALLY wanted to use it, but I mostly purchase my manga anyway :) If I can't get the original/raw from Japan, then I'd buy the English one...

I think the main problem with sites that charge you is that younger kids aren't able to get access without parent's permission... and that seems like a bigger hurdle than actually going out to buy the hard copy... But that's just my opinion :amuse