PDA

View Full Version : Games The Final Fantasy Thread!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Gold Knight
November 26, 2006, 01:57 AM
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/9029/ff2wc1.jpg

This is where you can talk about anything Final Fantasy related.

You can also post about FF related wallpapers or fanart that you like here too.

EDIT: Final Fantasy XIII information is starting to roll in. Be sure to spoiler-tag any crucial story plotlines and so on. - GK

----------------------------------------------------------
[Questionnaire for FF fanatics]:

1) What's your favorite Final Fantasy game?
2) Favorite character?
3) Favorite villain?
4) Favorite summon?
5) Which game have you replayed the most?
6) What was the toughest challenge you ever had in a FF game?
7) What was your favorite clip in the games?
8) If you would like to see a sequel to any of the games, which would it be?
9) What side-game do you like the most?
10) If you could date a FF character, who would it be? Haha...

Have fun!

Merged FF Threads

THE FINAL FANTASY XII QUEST!!!

Since we've a number of Final Fantasy fans here who are playing it right now (including yours truly!), I thought I'd go on and start this thread for fun.

Whenever we want to talk a bit about where we're at in the game, post away in here, in spoiler tags of course (but titled with some sort of key word that would indicate where we're at in the game). Like so:

Right now I'm quite far in the game, so to keep from spoiling anybody too much, I'm going to talk about the beginning for now.

Opening sequence is absolutely breathtaking. One of the things I really appreciated about this game so far is the dialogue seems so realistic and so well written so far. Graphics and scenes are so far totally satisfying.

Rabanastre's certainly a big town, but it wasn't as huge as I thought it would be ( try playing Oblivion sometimes for a while and I guarantee you'll be amazed. ) But it's definitely the biggest so far in a FF game.

So far I like the battle system okay, but I do miss the "drama" of going to a new screen with close ups of the monsters ( I still prefer FFX the most ). But so far I'm not having too many problems with it.

I did die early on though.. against a couple of cockatrices. I was fighting one and then one started attacking me from behind before I realized what was happening. And I had been wandering over all the Estersand, and had run out of potions at that point, so... yeah, it was game over for me. But that was okay.. I went back out there and did it all over again and it was kinda fun anyway.

Beat the Rogue Tomato, went back to Tomaj, joined the clan, and went down the Lowtown and talked to Old Dalan.

I was kinda getting suspicious about the treasure chests though, because they all seemed to have the same thing, so I checked the guidebook. Sure enough - there are some cases where they'll have something even better if you don't open them right now. So be sure to leave the chest next to Old Dalan's chest alone.

The game's been pretty fun. I don't mind the License system at all, in fact enjoy it, because I think it helps me have more incentive to fight more and level up. The graphics are definitely the biggest highlight of this game though.

This game reminded me of Star Wars, too, by the way. Unique but still very Star War-esque.

I'll elaborate more on later points in the game when some time has passed. Feel free to post away!

EDIT: Or Vent away. Heh. Played it long enough that I ended up not liking it too much after all.

It's obvious the FF game disappointed many players. Including me.

Venom65437
November 26, 2006, 01:59 AM
Not going to say much, but I'm really enjoying the hell out of this game. Square pulled out all the stops for this and it shows. If you don't own this yet, you need to put the crack pipe down and go get it!

zypher
November 26, 2006, 07:44 AM
can anyone send me this great game from the US, cuse I won't get it until februari 2007 :crying

I want to play it, I want to play it bad, so bad that I replayed my old FF VI, FF X and FF II on emulator.
please help me, I am desperate...

Venom65437
November 26, 2006, 11:41 AM
Wow Zypher, that really sucks, FF 12 is awesome. It's only another three months though, try to hang in there!

zypher
November 26, 2006, 02:31 PM
yeah i am trying my best, but you know it is hard.

so please don't spoil anything for me

ibra87
November 26, 2006, 02:41 PM
yeah i am trying my best, but you know it is hard.

so please don't spoil anything for me

Then try avoiding the spoiler tags like this one if you don't want to get spoiled:
Didn't I tell you not to :yelling

What I really like about the gameplay:
The fact that it's not as much turn-based as the previous ones. Especially when summoning espers and are able to control them. It's much more mmorpg-like right now, just with a story. Maybe in the next installment, they can have you pressing some buttons instead of having to wait for a bar to finish, but that might get them bashed by som FF-fanboys/fangirls.

zypher
November 26, 2006, 02:54 PM
STOP IT!!!!!

I can't stand this, if only i could tell you how hard it is to not click those spoiler tags ^^

Venom65437
November 26, 2006, 05:28 PM
Not too sure what exactly in this would be a spoiler or not, so I'll just tag it all.

About the fighting I'm really enjoying it so far. The system seems different, but it really isn't, it's still more or less time based, you can just move around during the fights. I like using the Gambit system for the computer players, so I don't have to babysit them too much. I also like how I can still override any command I want too at any time. I'm also glad they kept the Espers more or less the same way as FFX. You can help them fight, or you can support them so they live long enough to pull off their super move. I'm not so crazy about quickenings though. They're a simple concept, but tough to pull off. If they had made the writing, and the buttons on screen a little bigger, it wouldn't be so bad. Oh well. I also like how MP restores over time. It seems a lot of times in RPG's, especially early it's so easy to run out, and MP restoration items are always so expensive

About the license system I'm not as crazy about this aspect of the game. While I like being able to customize characters, this basically just keeps them all the same. I've had characters specialize in areas, but until you get the right magic and weapons, it doesn't do you much good. So you basically just play as your three favorite characters and give them whatever abilities you need. Also, if you haven't found the HP bonuses, or the MP reduction bonuses, etc. you are missing out, they help out a lot.

About hunts and money I really thought I'd hate the idea that you couldn't just kill enemies and get money, but it doesn't bother me much. The idea of selling items enemies drop (such as skins, claws, etc.) makes the game more realisitic. It also makes you have to really put some thought into the weapons and armor you purchase. You just can't hang out and wait until you get enough money to buy everything in town. Well, I suppose technically you could, but that would take you a very long time. The hunts are a lot of fun too, and well worth it. A lot of the enemies are a good challenge. It does bother how a lot of the enemies in a hunt, or bosses for that matter all of a sudden go hit crazy near death. I think it's crap you can dominate the whole fight only to have everyone wiped out in seconds because of that. I mean, our characters don't do that! Oh well, it's not that tough.

The best part of the game The fact we can make spoiler tags like this, that have nothing to do with the game, just to bother our European friends. :D Haha!

And that's all I have to say about it right now.

zypher
November 26, 2006, 06:07 PM
i hate to live in europe when it comes to games :sad

LadyHatake
November 27, 2006, 08:07 AM
I'm seriously enjoying FFXII right now. i wish I had more time to play, but oh well.

Not too sure what exactly in this would be a spoiler or not, so I'll just tag it all.

About the fighting I'm really enjoying it so far. The system seems different, but it really isn't, it's still more or less time based, you can just move around during the fights. I like using the Gambit system for the computer players, so I don't have to babysit them too much. I also like how I can still override any command I want too at any time. I'm also glad they kept the Espers more or less the same way as FFX. You can help them fight, or you can support them so they live long enough to pull off their super move. I'm not so crazy about quickenings though. They're a simple concept, but tough to pull off. If they had made the writing, and the buttons on screen a little bigger, it wouldn't be so bad. Oh well. I also like how MP restores over time. It seems a lot of times in RPG's, especially early it's so easy to run out, and MP restoration items are always so expensive

I love being able to move the characters around. It makes the game seem more interactive, as opposed to previous ones. At first i thought I could run around to avoid being hit by a monster's attack, but that didn't work XD Oh well. And as far as ethers/elixers, there's only a few in the game, that can be found in treasure chests. Can't buy them anywhere or get them in any bazaar packages. That's the main downfll, IMO. I enjoy using magic, and it sucks to have to wait for my MP to restore.

About the license system I'm not as crazy about this aspect of the game. While I like being able to customize characters, this basically just keeps them all the same. I've had characters specialize in areas, but until you get the right magic and weapons, it doesn't do you much good. So you basically just play as your three favorite characters and give them whatever abilities you need. Also, if you haven't found the HP bonuses, or the MP reduction bonuses, etc. you are missing out, they help out a lot.

I HATE having to both license AND buy spells. It's such a bother >< I prefer how it was in FFX, where you just activated the spot on the grid. I have done any specializing in any areas, but everyone has all of the spells (both black and white magic) that I've bought so far. And speaking of spells, I REALLY like the "float" spell XD It's so nifty and comes in handy for walking over traps.

About hunts and money I really thought I'd hate the idea that you couldn't just kill enemies and get money, but it doesn't bother me much. The idea of selling items enemies drop (such as skins, claws, etc.) makes the game more realisitic. It also makes you have to really put some thought into the weapons and armor you purchase. You just can't hang out and wait until you get enough money to buy everything in town. Well, I suppose technically you could, but that would take you a very long time. The hunts are a lot of fun too, and well worth it. A lot of the enemies are a good challenge. It does bother how a lot of the enemies in a hunt, or bosses for that matter all of a sudden go hit crazy near death. I think it's crap you can dominate the whole fight only to have everyone wiped out in seconds because of that. I mean, our characters don't do that! Oh well, it's not that tough.

I love selling loot XD It makes more sense than getting money from the fiends, since I highly doubt they have any need for gil :sweat As far as the hunts. bah, i don't care either way about those. They're opkay, but sometimes they're so out of the way XD I have a few I still need to go back and do, like the lord Wyrvn in the sandsea by Raithwall's tomb and there's anotherone...somewhere >.> oh well. I'm training right now anyways. I'll just use my nifty teleport stones to fo it XD I love how you can use the stones or use the Airships to get places. I also like the sidequest on the airship.

Overall, this game is pretty darn awesome though ^^

Tamerlane
November 27, 2006, 09:57 AM
I am also really enjoying this game so far. I have put a lot of time into it and to my surprise I found that I really enjoy the fighting system (I had my doubts based on a crappy demo I played).

So at the moment I am:

Working my way around the Phon Coast and trying to earn some monies to get new armor. I was kind of surprised by the last little cut scene though between Balthier and Ashe. I do not see happy days ahead for poor Balthier...

Venom65437
November 27, 2006, 12:23 PM
I'm seriously enjoying FFXII right now. i wish I had more time to play, but oh well.

Me too!

I love being able to move the characters around. It makes the game seem more interactive, as opposed to previous ones. At first i thought I could run around to avoid being hit by a monster's attack, but that didn't work XD Oh well. And as far as ethers/elixers, there's only a few in the game, that can be found in treasure chests. Can't buy them anywhere or get them in any bazaar packages. That's the main downfll, IMO. I enjoy using magic, and it sucks to have to wait for my MP to restore.

Fighting Heh, I tried to run around to avoid hits too! It's the one thing I don't like about being able to move, not much of a point if you can't dodge hits. I still do it to restore my MP faster anyway.

I love selling loot XD It makes more sense than getting money from the fiends, since I highly doubt they have any need for gil :sweat As far as the hunts. bah, i don't care either way about those. They're opkay, but sometimes they're so out of the way XD I have a few I still need to go back and do, like the lord Wyrvn in the sandsea by Raithwall's tomb and there's anotherone...somewhere >.> oh well. I'm training right now anyways. I'll just use my nifty teleport stones to fo it XD I love how you can use the stones or use the Airships to get places. I also like the sidequest on the airship.

Hunts Yea, I still have to go back and do that one too, but you're right, it's soooooooooo far out of the way I almost done want to bother. Oh well, I actually plan to do that one next.

Overall, this game is pretty darn awesome though ^^

Can't argue that

Gold Knight
November 28, 2006, 11:50 AM

Fighting Heh, I tried to run around to avoid hits too! It's the one thing I don't like about being able to move, not much of a point if you can't dodge hits. I still do it to restore my MP faster anyway.

About running around...
I do like that you can use the Decoy magic to make a monster concentrate on just one of your people and have the others move out of the way and use ranged weapons instead. This really makes having bows and guns a lot more convenient than any other FF game in the past.

So in that sense, having the ability to run around is nice, because when one of your fighters are getting low on HP, you can distract the monsters by having other teammates close in on it so that your injured guy can get away far enough to restore his HP. This especially helped in one of my fights with the saurion (it broke loose of the Immobilize spell and it was every man for himself from then on >.>)

About where I am currently in the game...
I'm currently doing a few hunts after having completed the Henne Mines and having defeated the Tiamat. Going to try to fight the Ring Wyrm again. Don't know if I'll succeed, that thing's tough.

And zypher, my friend, I'm sorry but visiting the thread and looking at all the spoilers isn't going to help you much - better just leave the thread alone for now :/

Gold Knight
November 28, 2006, 12:16 PM
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/9029/ff2wc1.jpg

This is where you can talk about anything Final Fantasy related.

You can also post about FF related wallpapers or fanart that you like here too.

EDIT: Final Fantasy XIII information is starting to roll in. Be sure to spoiler-tag any crucial story plotlines and so on. - GK

http://www.gamekyo.com/videoen13818_final-fantasy-agito-xiii-first-video.html
First Agito XIII video, thank des for sharing :3

Final Fantasy XIII - DK∑3713 Trailer (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43656.html)
Final Fantasy Versus XIII - DK∑3713 Trailer (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43655.html)

here's a couple of in game battle screen image(s) of the lead character in FFXIII fighting a giant robot/scorpion/buzz saw type enemy courtesy of FF-XIII.net (http://www.ff-xiii.net/).http://i43.tinypic.com/2yxjfvc.jpg

We have some good and bad news regarding FFXIII..

Good news: a new character has been revealed to us. His name is Sazh Katroy and apparently he likes chocobos and guns as seen in these pics [here (http://www.finalfantasyxiii.net/images/other/v-jump/vjump-1.jpg), and here (http://www.finalfantasyxiii.net/images/other/v-jump/vjump-3.jpg)]. Not to mention he has one of the cheesiest but awesome smiles ever...

Bad news: According to an interview with Square Enix's Yoichi Wada in the UK's Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/feedarticle/8259189), FFXIII wont be available outside of Japan until at least April of 2010...

Source (http://www.finalfantasyxiii.net/)

a new trailer is out with lots and lots of actual gameplay footage:D

Square Enix site (http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fabula/ff13/)
youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCoimOk0Sn8&eurl=http://www.finalfantasyxiii.net/)
Direct Download courtesy of Final Fantasy Union (http://www.finalfantasyunion.com/news/new-final-fantasy-xiii-trailer-direct-download--331.html)

Full Demo [FF XIII] gameplay video.

Part 1 of 9 (http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/24380)

[hr]
[Questionnaire for FF fanatics]:

2) Favorite character?
3) Favorite villain?
4) Favorite summon?

Have fun!

bax
November 28, 2006, 12:26 PM
Heh.....

1. FF X2
2. Vincent Valentine
3. Bahamut (I hope this counts >.>)
4. Bahamut / Eden
5. FF X
6. Omega Weapon
7. FFVIII opening
8. FF VII based upon Advent Children
9. Chocobo ^^
10. Tifa

Gold Knight
November 28, 2006, 12:35 PM
1) FF 6 ( FF 3 in the original American numbering; it's the one with Terra, Locke, etc. )
2) Shadow
3) Kefka
4) Knights of the Round Table
5) The very first FF game
6) The train scene in FF VII gave me fits
7) The dancing scene in FF VIII; close second is the Auron scene at Luca in FF X
8) FF 6 ( pleeease, God! )
9) I liked the numbers game in FF X-2
10) Rikku >.>

Venom65437
November 28, 2006, 12:44 PM
Holy crap this will be hard

1) Can't really say, love them all
2) Shadow, Auron
3) Sephiroth
4) Bahamut in all it's forms, also Anima
5) Nine, because it's a throwback to all the old FF's and it's a lot of fun to play
6) The original Final Fantasy 2, it makes you want to eat a baby.
7) I liked the dancing scene in FF 8 as well (thou I don't like dancing!), Bahamut vs. Alexaner in FF9, and Tidus and Yuna in the water in X
8) Tough to say, VII was the only one that really had a lot of room for a sequel (well a sequel that could be based on that games storyline anyway.) If they make any sequels, I'll buy them
9) I liked Blitz Ball, the card games, and Chocobo Hot and Cold. (Spent WAY to much time with that one!)
10) Oh I don't think so....

Venom65437
November 28, 2006, 12:48 PM
I think you're still ahead of me Phil, argh! I better get some work done this weekend with no college football to worry about...

Gold Knight
November 28, 2006, 12:55 PM
Aww Venom, just imagine if one of the FF characters were based on a real person, and you met her, which one would you go out with? Haha.

Xophien
November 28, 2006, 02:20 PM
FFVII, followed by FFX and FFVI.

2) Favorite character?
Hard to choose... Cloud, Vincent, Auron.

3) Favorite villain?
Sephiroth. So much charisma, best final boss music too. And giant sword, woot.

4) Favorite summon?
Phoenix in FFVII.

FFVII, finished 15 times, for about 1000 hours playing the game :eyeroll

Getting all the stats of all the characters at 255 in FFX and defeating that damn Derr Richter (Penance in Jap, only in FFX International, which was our european version, lucky~) without using Yojimbo. All the other FF side bosses can go cry in a dark corner, Derr Richter is way stronger :noworry I still have that 250+ hours save in my memory card...^^"

The opening of FFVIII. It left me speechless, and gave me hope of the game being better than FFVII. Unfortunately, it was not. At all.

Well, I don't want to see any sequel to any FF games, so I'll pass on that. Though I actually liked a lot FFX-2 (probably the best battle system of all FF games <-haven't played FFXII yet), all the FFVII sequels were just not that good... If I had to choose one, I'd say FFVI.

I spent way too much time on the Time Triad in FFVIII, but my favorite is the blitzball in FFX-2.

Lulu >.> I just love cool, calm, strong-minded girls like her, and I have a black mage complex >.>

Edit : Forgot to say something, I hate FFIX. Seriously. It's the only FF I own that I finished only twice :s

Gold Knight
November 28, 2006, 02:26 PM
Sephiroth has charisma? :s

I liked Kefka the best because he had the best lines in all of the FF games. :D

And yeah, I've watched YouTube vids of Penance battles, that looked tough. I don't think I would have even tried that one because it seemed like it would take way too much time. Congrats on beating him.

And I agree, FF VIII was very disappointing all things considered, but I still liked it overall. FFX was also disappointing as well because the clips at the beginning made me want to play it to see more, but there were fewer at the end that gave me as much satisfaction. So far, FF XII, from what I've played of it, has out-done them all by far, but I can't go in too much detail on that here.

And nothing wrong with a black mage complex... ^^

Speaking of black mages, I would also want to mention 8-bit Theater (http://www.nuklearpower.com/archive.php) for any fans of Final Fantasy. Some very funny scenes, especially concerning Black Mage and White Mage, there :D

zypher
November 28, 2006, 04:04 PM
: i think FF VI
2) Favorite character?
: Sabin
3) Favorite villain?
: The emperor (FF II)
4) Favorite summon?
: Yojimbo (FF X)
: FF II and FF VI
: To stop playing ^^
: When you realize that the juge have not been sent
: Hmmm i say FF VI
: Soul of Rebirth (after you have beaten the normal FF II on GBA)
: Aw man ... then i want to date Rikku ^^

LadyHatake
November 28, 2006, 06:31 PM
FFX ( I would say 7, but I haven't played the whole game)

2) Favorite character?

3) Favorite villain?
hm, I guess it'd have to be Sephiroth. He was such an interesting character.

4) Favorite summon?
Shiva, I guess, in FFX. She was both strong and pretty.

Final Fantasy X - I keep trying to get 100%

Beating Jecht in FFX-2 >< took me forevvvvvvvverrrrrrr

oooh, hard to say. There were some beautiful ones in X though, especially with Sin. The graphics in X and beyond are amazing!!

Other than XII, I'd have to say 7. I loved advent children, and I wih there had been more games for that storyline <3

haven't played any.

hmmmm. Auron :nuts

Gold Knight
November 29, 2006, 04:24 AM
So Auron is your favorite character, Katy? You left that out ;)

Venom65437
November 29, 2006, 04:36 AM
Maybe she just finds him sexy.... but boring.... of course he's so old, so... yucky.

Gold Knight
November 29, 2006, 04:38 AM
Can't be sexy if you're boring.

zypher
November 29, 2006, 04:45 AM
But he is so cool, I can't describe it.

I mabye want to date him to (I am a nerd)

Venom65437
November 29, 2006, 05:11 AM
You can to be sexy if you're boring... you think you're sexy right Phil? And God knows you bore the hell out of me! :D

LadyHatake
November 29, 2006, 07:04 PM
So Auron is your favorite character, Katy? You left that out ;)

hrm...I can't decide on a favorite...XD Maybe Rikku from X and X-2? She's so funny XD

KaiserRyuujin
December 09, 2006, 03:30 AM

Eh, its hard to really pick one. But can say pretty much any of them below X and in no way in hell Tactics Advanced.

Sooooo III and VII :P They're neck and neck

2) Favorite character?

Damn, too hard to say and to choose just one in particular. Sabin and Cloud.

3) Favorite villain?

Damnit all to hell! Uh, Kefka was a tweaker I'll give him that. I liked Sephiroth, because when he killed a character he KILLED that character. Poor Aerith....=_= First time playing...never saw that shit coming...Plus, I just liked Sephiroths views although the Jenova "Mother" thing throwing chunks of her at ya was....hmmm a little....wiiierrd :P But, you cant beat a Platinum Haired Sword Wielding Psychopath that wouldnt take death for an answer heh heh.

4) Favorite summon?

Bahamut Zero

Final Fantasy VII, Im still searching for that Resurrect Materia! XD :p

Actually stomaching to play FF X, and actually picking up the controller to play X-2(Which I never did).

This I really cant answer, because there are alot of good ones.

None. SquareEnix has no clue what they're doing anymore. I just want them to fade away or find themselfs again and become what they were as SquareSoft.

Never got to much into the side games, just liked going along the normal stuff killing and what not. Though the snow boarding game on FFVII for some reason was fun :P

10) If you could date a FF character, who would it be?

=_= Smeg if I know.

weiss-raine
December 15, 2006, 02:32 AM
1) FFX or FFVII
2) Lulu
3) Yunalesca
4) Shiva (FFX)
5) FFX
6) Defeating the aeons because I didn't want to hurt them.
7) I have a lot but the favourite of mine was the scene with Tidus and Yuna in the river/lake.
8) FFVIII
9) Blitzball
10) Cloud or Vincent

Xophien
December 15, 2006, 07:52 AM
i hate to live in europe when it comes to games :sad

I live in Europe, yet I'm playing FFXII right now :p Thanks to a little modchip in my PS2 and eBay for finding the game at a good price (and since the €uro has never been this strong importing from the US is really interesting right now~)

Anyway, the game is really really great, especially the battle system that is possibly the best I've seen in a FF ever.

I did have some doubts tho about the battle system at first, because it just seems like an offline MMORPG to me, but the Gambit system is really enjoyable. If only Star Ocean 3 could have the same Gambit system... But I digress. I do like the License system too, since it feels just somehow right, I mean, instead of just finding an uber God Save the Queen sword on the ground and using it immediately, you have to actually train for it, by crushing enough monsters to earn the right to wield it. Same with the looting system, I always found it weird that non-human enemies were keeping gils with them, so now, selling loots to earn money just feels right. I like the fact that though the Quickenings are uber-powerful attacks, it leaves you with not a single MP after, which, if you don't kill the enemy with the quickening, leaves you very vulnerable.

Didn't see much of the story so far, but, though this is not the best we had, and though there is that Star Wars ambiance that leaves somehow a sense of déjà vu, I like it so far (in my case I just got the Sword of Kings). I like the fact that we're in the Ivalice world like FFT (Velius as the first esper ? Wiegraf, show yourself ! :D). Though I can't really stand Vaan, the quite typical shounen hero (I wonder where went the great male leads, like Cloud or Squall...), at least the other characters are quite great, especially Basch.

Gold Knight
December 15, 2006, 11:21 PM
I've played much further into the game, and I have to admit this game has lost its luster for me. Needs more story twists and character development to inspire me to play more. I've also gotten somewhat tired of the fighting system. Venom and I were talking about it the other day, and it's really no fun if you can't "see" giant monsters while fighting them, and oftentimes because of the ability to move around, you can't see them entirely.

Right now I'd have to say that Final Fantasy 6 is safe as my favorite for now.

Gold Knight
December 15, 2006, 11:29 PM

Final Fantasy VII, Im still searching for that Resurrect Materia! XD

Good luck with that, Kaiser. :D

6) Defeating the aeons because I didn't want to hurt them.

Hehe, that's funny, weiss-raine.

Well, a new topic here: What do you guys think of Yoshitaka Amano's art?

If you guys don't know him, you've seen his monster and character designs at least if you've played a lot of FF. He also illustrates Vampire Hunter D. Here's his wiki biography. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshitaka_Amano)

Also here's a gallery of his works and a lot of FF misc. art: http://www.adunaph3l.net/atma/

Be sure to check out his FF I, II, III, etc. stuff, they're awesome. I love the contrasts of black and white in his monster designs. For example, Garland!

http://www.adunaph3l.net/atma/albums/userpics/10001/Garland.gif

Some good colored stuff too.

http://www.adunaph3l.net/atma/albums/userpics/10001/%27%27la%20princesse%20et%20le%20soldat%20de%20la%20lumiere%27%27%20%281%29.JPG

Venom65437
December 16, 2006, 03:04 AM
I like his art work, it isn't too bad. It's not my favorite art ever, but it's good for what it's supposed to do. Sometimes I think he makes his males look to girly thou.... especially his pictures for the male leads in FF 2... jeez...

Venom65437
December 16, 2006, 03:08 AM
The more I play this, the more flaws I see. This is a good game... but it doesn't stack up to most Final Fantasies, IMO. Color me disappointed.

Xophien
December 16, 2006, 05:17 AM
I'm not that fond of his art, it's a bit too weird for my taste, but I really love the logos he has done for the games till now, like the FFX one :

http://www.gaming-age.com/specials/ffx/logo.jpg

By the way I wonder why the american releases don't keep these logos... The FFXII one was really good too...

http://blog.playstation-center.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/ffxii-logo.jpg

ibra87
December 16, 2006, 05:58 AM
I've already answered this @ the RPG thread but here goes:

Final Fantasy VI (aka 6)

2) Favorite character?
Dunno. Cecil, Cloud, Squall and Buttz (FF V). Auron too probably.

3) Favorite villain?
Kefka. Sephiroth next.

4) Favorite summon?
Diablos. Then Bahamut, Quezacotl and Cactuar.

Final Fantasy VI. By far.

Defeating Leviathan and his queen in FF IV. What a pain.

Sephiroth falling down and stabbing Aerith then Cloud holding Aerith while talking to Sephiroth.

Final Fantasy VI.

Hmm, can't really remember so many since I don't really play them. The card game in FF Viii was fun though.

>_>

Gold Knight
December 16, 2006, 06:11 AM
By the way I wonder why the american releases don't keep these logos... The FFXII one was really good too...

They do actually, at least in the games. I happen to like his logo for FF VIII myself.

ILUVATAR
December 16, 2006, 10:30 AM
Final Fantasy VI (for it's storyline) and Final Fantasy VII (whole :D)

2) Favorite character?
Sephiroth :D you can play him for a short period of time in Cloud's past memories

3) Favorite villain?
Sephiroth and after him Kefka for his lines :amuse

4) Favorite summon?
hmmm >.> i think it's Shiva, Lady of the Ice. i've seen her in FFVII and in FFVIII and loved her twice xD

Final Fantasy VII for sure

Defeating the Weapons in FFVII for the first time.... actually i got into a fight with Emerald by accident ^^;
"oh, what's that green thingy floating"...... *battle begins*.... o.o "uh-oh" --> DEAD xD rofl

At first was the death of Aerith but now i can say for sure that a clip when Celes in FFVI is alone in the island and tryies to fall from a cliff is the best i have ever seen T_T imo "snif"

Final Fantasy VI ^^ (Final Fantasy VII has Advent Children xD)

Snowboarding in Final Fantasy VII :D \o/

uuuum >.> Rinoa from FFVIII

oh and Gold Knight
THANKS FOR CREATING THIS THREAD :D :amuse :smile-big :woo

zypher
December 16, 2006, 11:38 AM
I can understand that, allmost all of the original staff members did jump of the project.
but they are doing there best to make it a great game.

Venom65437
December 16, 2006, 02:34 PM
Doesn't matter much to me, this is no where near as good as it should be when you consider how long they worked on it...

bakashijinsan
December 17, 2006, 12:06 AM
i'd really have to agree with what GK and Venom are saying with FFXII. I have been playing this and I'm near the end but it seems that, I don;t want to continue anymore. You don't get the feeling that you want to finish it right away because you're at the edge of your seat being murdered because of the suspense. I'm not getting that right now as much as I did when I played the previous FF titles.

I'd say, story wise, it doesn't catch me that well. I'm more into the story than the game itself. Of course the gameplay is good but, you get tired of it after a while. I dunno....

hmmmm....

by far, FF tactics is the best for me with regards to the story. next is FF 7 then FF 6.

bakashijinsan
December 17, 2006, 12:31 AM
2) Favorite character?
3) Favorite villain?
4) Favorite summon?

1) That would have to be FF Tactics
2) Squall Leonheart
3) Sephiroth
4) I dunno? Maybe Ifrit. Coz of the moves
5) That would be FF8. Since I made a character setup guide here
6) That would be completing the sphere grid to get 255 stats for all including LUK in FFX. next would be the lightning dodge thingy in FFX also. I think FFX has the most difficult side quests. especially the dark aeons. OMG!
7) That'd be Squall and Rinoa's ballroom dance
8) Surely FF Tactics. can't get enough of that! ^_^
9) That'd be the Chocobo side quest for FF IX. I just loved hunting those treasures! ^_^
10) Nah! I don't think I'd want to be with one. Oh well, maybe Rinoa

Venom65437
December 17, 2006, 03:22 AM
baka... you even got luck up to 255? You are a trooper.

And there is kind of a sequel to FF Tactics with Tactics Advance... I like it better than Tactics... probably cause the battles don't take an hour....

The Chocobo side quest in 9 was fun....

Venom65437
December 17, 2006, 03:23 AM
FF 12 is having a hard time competing with Zelda for my attention right now...

Xophien
December 17, 2006, 03:41 AM

I did it too, it was kinda necessary in order to defeat the dark aeons, and even with max stats it still wasn't easy (especially the Magus sisters and Penance/DerRichter)

And there is kind of a sequel to FF Tactics with Tactics Advance... I like it better than Tactics... probably cause the battles don't take an hour....

A good T-RPG is one where each battle takes one hour ! XD Ah, leveling Cloud from lvl 01 to lvl 99 in one battle, how great that was... And the story was one of the best there ever was in an FF too :amuse

ibra87
December 17, 2006, 05:19 AM
It's because you guys lack the feeling of competition... Just try seeing who can finish it sooner and that will make sure you guys try as hard as you can >_>

Gold Knight
December 17, 2006, 08:32 AM
A lot of the globals here actually started and played FF XII at the same time here. Katy, Tammy, Axel, Jabbs, me, etc. I also talked with Venom also.

It was fun for about the first half of the game.

bakashijinsan
December 17, 2006, 10:29 AM

I wanted to see what effect it'd give me. with 255 LUK, I was able to inflict critical hit every attack and also dodge almost every enemy in the game except optional boss monsters.

this is in GameBoy right? I thought it was like an offshoot of Tactics, like it got the name but the story was nowhere near the original FF Tactics in PS1

The Chocobo side quest in 9 was fun....

Hell Yeah! I was so abrorbed with it that even though I dug out all the necessary items for the side quest, I leveled my Chocobo's beak to Level 99 ^_^. I guess it was the BGM that made me play and play this treasure hunting game.

I did it too, it was kinda necessary in order to defeat the dark aeons, and even with max stats it still wasn't easy (especially the Magus sisters and Penance/DerRichter)

Lol! It really was one hell of a job since you got to kill that guy with a reflect spell casted on his but and everytime you attack him, he'll cast flare on himself.

I remember, I forgot to get the Sun Crest from where you fought lady Yunalesca so I went back there to get it after getting the airship. lo and behold. There was Dark Bahamut. he creamed me in one shot. The Hell!

Me: Damn you mechanical dragon you!
*pulls out Yuna*
*summon Yojimbo*
*pay all the money that I had*
*evil grin*

Zanmato!!!!

that's how I got the sun crest. Can't help it. I needed an Ultimate weapon earlier in the game and Caladbolg was one of the first few accessible ones.

A good T-RPG is one where each battle takes one hour ! XD Ah, leveling Cloud from lvl 01 to lvl 99 in one battle, how great that was... And the story was one of the best there ever was in an FF too :amuse

:wooot for FF Tactics! I just love these kind of themes. That's why, FFX also had that small tinge that I felt when I played FF tactics.

bakashijinsan
December 17, 2006, 10:35 AM
hey anyone used Genji gloves along with Masamune?

combo this with your strogest melee chracter (for me it was Basch) then constantly cast lure and reverse to this character of yours and with this you can just walk and not worry about anything anymore (except encountering a rare game monster)

my game's on hiatus at Pharos at Ridarona. I got bored while going up the tower. I wish there would be an arena like side area in FFXII with strong monsters. ~sigh~

Xophien
December 17, 2006, 12:29 PM
this is in GameBoy right? I thought it was like an offshoot of Tactics, like it got the name but the story was nowhere near the original FF Tactics in PS1

Yeah, if I remember correctly, it's about four regular kids that are thrown into the Ivalice world, so my guess is that it has more of a childish story than FFT (that had a pretty dark story... that Delita...)

Zanmato!!!!

that's how I got the sun crest. Can't help it. I needed an Ultimate weapon earlier in the game and Caladbolg was one of the first few accessible ones.

Unforgivable. Start FFX again and defeat him properly :p Actually I had the same problem while going back to Besaid and finding myself in battle with Dark Valefor... I could have used Yojimbo, but chose to get a game over and avoided Besaid for a while. Well, I had save just before, so that wasn't a problem. That's the key, save all the time, or else you'll be pwned by random Dark enemies that sometimes appear out of nowhere XD

:wooot for FF Tactics! I just love these kind of themes. That's why, FFX also had that small tinge that I felt when I played FF tactics.

Going against a major religion is always good material for a story :p

LadyHatake
December 17, 2006, 02:43 PM
I've lost interest in it >.> I just got tired of it, I suppose. And frustrated at the supreme lack of ethers and elixers >< I'm actually more interested in going back to Star Ocean and trying to beat it >.>

Venom65437
December 17, 2006, 04:06 PM
Star Ocean... those are fun games.

And I have a laundry list on what I really think of Final Fantasy XII so far, got a while? Good, here it comes. It's 100% spoiler free, so don't worry!

Ok, from everything I've heard about the length of this game, I'm more or less half way through, so I thought I'd give my review of it so far. Like the thread title says, no spoilers here, so read on!

Let me preface all this by saying I do LIKE the game, I DON'T love it. I think it has flaws, and my inflated expectations probably didn't help.

Know what else doesn't help it? This game is called Final Fantasy. It would seem a lot of people really love or hate this game from what I read on the internet. I think if this game wasn't called Final Fantasy it would get a lot more love. Or maybe a lot more hate, depending on your perspective. Either way, I have expectations for a Final Fantasy game that perhaps I don't have for other games, but when you're one of the biggest, most beloved, (and one of my personal favorite) video game franchises of all time, the bar is just set that much higher. Anyway, that's enough talk, onto the actual review!

Ok, characters. Outside of two of them, why the hell are they here? There have been virtually no character moments what so ever. You can sum up every character in the game in about 3 sentence max. Two have a real reason for what they are doing, and the others seem to be there because... well they have nothing better to do. Some of the GUEST characters seem to have a better reason to be there. Honestly, I couldn't care less about any of these people or what they're trying to do.

Story: I don't think it's that great. It starts off with a bang and seems really interesting... but then it's soooooo slow after that. The story itself never seems to move on with your characters present. (Except in a few places.) Most of the time when the story is moving on is a cut scene, far away from where you are with characters that you've only seen maybe once. The story is all about politics, which honestly doesn't interest me much. SO FAR there is no "save the world aspect at all..." it's just "take down the empire," which would be ok if they made the characters interesting.

Musically, you hardly even notice it's there, and when you do, it's not impressive. Every other FF game has at least a few memorable tracks, but not in this one, not even for boss battles. The music during a boss battle is a little better, but still. When I'm playing a game, the music adds a lot. Remember the boss music from FF 6? You knew you were fighting a big battle, and the music was very appropriate, you were pumped. Not in this game, like I said, you don't even notice it. Music is one of the things that was truly great about past FF games.

The battles in this game are only ok, IMO. I don't mind the free roaming, but I fail to see the point. This is just like every other FF battle system except the fights aren't random. If we're able to move around, we should be able to dodge attacks, or take out an opponents knee, or if we have a big ass gun, it should do a lot more damage 3 feet away... not the same as it does 40! Also, with this system you don't get a chance to see the designs of the bosses, because the camera is focused more on their feet. You can, of course, adjust it, but you'll probably be needing to enter commands at some point. Again, I don't mind having this system, but if we're going to have it, make it worth it. If future games will have the battle system just like this, I'd rather throw it all out and go back to the old battles.

I'm kind of on the fence about the Gambit system. I don't use much of it. You can set it up so all your characters practically play the battles for you, but I don't find that fun. Of course you can also enter in as many commands as you like. You have to play with it to see how you like it.

The world itself is HUGE. Easily the biggest world ever in a FF game, but honestly, a lot of the times I don't feel like traversing it a lot. In this game during the right conditions MEGA powerful enemies roam the areas... and if you run into one, chances are YOU ARE TOAST! So that's a downer, though you can always leave an area and re-enter until the conditions aren't there... most of the time. Also, enemies respawn way to quickly for my tastes. If I just spent the last 30-40 minutes wiping out the enemies in one area, I don't want to see them all back less than 5 minutes after I cleared them out, it's just annoying. There are a lot of nice looking areas in the game, but it can be hard to just take a look around sometimes.

One thing I really love/hate about this game is how you get money. I think it only makes sense that enemies aren't carrying around thousands of gil for no reason. In this game you have to sell things enemies drop... suck as their skin, or a claw, etc. HOWEVER, these things sell for so little, you never have ANY money whatsoever. Now, I'm not saying they have to sell for thousands and make the game to easy... but the items aren't worth anything, and a lot of things in this game are VERY expensive. You can go into town with 30,000 gil and literally buy almost nothing. So, good idea, but you HAVE to get more for your items... or enemies have to drop more stuff, it's ridiculous.

I like the hunts side quests... being able to fight powerful, optional monsters is a lot of fun, but most of them aren't worth it. You usually get some money (not a lot compared to the prices of things,) and some items. Sometimes you'll get a weapon that's helpful because you're strapped for cash, but honestly most of these are just for the fun of it, because you certainly don't get anything earth shattering.

Summons and Quickenings (think overdrives) are only ok as well. If you can keep a summon alive long enough (it's just the summon and the character who called it) they can be a big help... IF they last a while and pull off their super move. But they can get beat up pretty bad.... and then might not even use their super move. FF X had the best summon system far and away. Quickenings aren't bad if you can chain enough of them together, but if you can't they're pretty worthless. Oh the best part about these two things? They take ALL of your MP. While your MP will slowly regenerate while you move around (even in battle) if you use one of these moves you are really gambling that you WILL take the enemy down. I don't mind if they take all your MP, but with using all your MP you'd think these are desperation moves that will bring total chaos on your opponent and they really don't.

Well that's about all I have to say, I think. Finally, eh? :D If I think of something I forgot, I'll add it later.

Let me close by repeating, I don't HATE this game, but I don't LOVE it either. In terms of other Final Fantasies, it's in the middle of the pack for me, but probably closer to the bottom than to the top. It definitely has it's flaws, and it just isn't what I've come to expect from a Final Fantasy game. I admit I might be being a little too critical, but I would say that is more SqaureEnix fault. This game has been in the works and had a release date for years now. When you take this long to get a product out, it's only going to inflate expectations. There are some good ideas in this game that if expanded upon, would be great to have in future games. But I also think that Square would do well to go back and look at some of the things in past Final Fantasy games that worked well and incorporate them into Final Fantasy XIII. I hope they will, because this game has a lot of POTENTIAL, but a lot of it is never reached, and that's a shame. I REALLY WANT to feel like this is my favorite Final Fantasy ever, but it just isn't. This isn't a BAD game, but it certainly isn't what I expect from a Final Fantasy. I still suggest people buy it and play it... but for $50? Eh... that's up to you... if you can borrow someone else's for a few days, it will help you a lot.

I'll give it a 6/10. All in all not a BAD game by any means, but I think it falls far below what my usual expectations of a Final Fantasy game are.

bakashijinsan
December 17, 2006, 08:05 PM
Unforgivable. Start FFX again and defeat him properly :p Actually I had the same problem while going back to Besaid and finding myself in battle with Dark Valefor... I could have used Yojimbo, but chose to get a game over and avoided Besaid for a while. Well, I had save just before, so that wasn't a problem. That's the key, save all the time, or else you'll be pwned by random Dark enemies that sometimes appear out of nowhere XD

I'd pretty much wanted to also, but my game kind of had a problem whenever I try to start it. I think it has a bug wherein it hangs and then there's no way I'd be able to continue on.

Anyway, I'm not at all guilty that I killed Dark Bahamut that way because, it's part of the game, Yojimbo's Zanmato. But I really am thinking, what would have I done to kill Dark bahamut without Yojimbo?

hmmmm

Going against a major religion is always good material for a story p

yup yup! that's why FFX also made me feel quite the same like FFT though religion isn't the one that's focused that much in FFX, but still... :party

bakashijinsan
December 17, 2006, 08:08 PM
I've lost interest in it >.> I just got tired of it, I suppose. And frustrated at the supreme lack of ethers and elixers >< I'm actually more interested in going back to Star Ocean and trying to beat it >.>

actually, you can buy ethers at a secret shop in Nabria (the dungeon I forgot the name :p). That's before going to Archadia, even before the plains (OMG I keep on forgetting names!!)

Gold Knight
December 19, 2006, 09:25 AM
Good review, Venom. Reflects exactly what I'm feeling about the game right now to a T. Thanks for saving me the trouble of listing my own thoughts as well.

Actually, I rather like the sidequests/hunts more than anything else in the game, and I don't mind exploring such a vast world. But to make it more worthwhile, they probably should have included a little more variety as far as sidequests or treasures.

zypher
December 19, 2006, 11:35 AM
Anyway, I'm not at all guilty that I killed Dark Bahamut that way because, it's part of the game, Yojimbo's Zanmato. But I really am thinking, what would have I done to kill Dark bahamut without Yojimbo?

well you could do as i did, i went hardcore on levling up my favchars and kicked his ass with my super aeons and über skills ^^

zypher
December 19, 2006, 11:53 AM
I realy liked your "laundry list" Venom :amuse

And thanks for it is 100% spoiler free, this is a realy great job ^^

Venom65437
December 19, 2006, 03:38 PM
I'm touched you guys liked my review so much.

juUnior
January 02, 2007, 01:30 PM
Of kors it will be FF 6 ^^ (a little second would be FF7) xD

2) Favorite character?
hmm thought question, good are in FF6 and in FF7, but i would say Cloud from 7 and Locke from 6.

3) Favorite villain?
If i remembr correctly it would be Kafka from FF6.

4) Favorite summon?
hmm Bahamut..

Final Fantasy 6 xD

Find what to do next in FF6, but i dont remembr what it was :x (I dont like to read solutions before i dont do everything to find a clue) xD

In the games i dont know, but in one episode animated ova (i dont remember title, it was with FF:AC) there was eveyrthing superb xD

Final Fantasy 6 or maybe to the first hyhy :x

hmm chocobo games :x

Tifa from FF7 or Celia (or how her was..) from FF6

4thHokage
January 05, 2007, 09:04 PM
1) Final Fantasy 7 (ix was great)
2) Cloud or Balthier (One of the greatest voiceover character since david hayter from mgs)
3) Sephiroth
4) Griever (though only see it once ever)
5) 7 or 8
6) ffx-2 going down the 100 floor dungeon then face that impossible old man with like 2million hp
7) At the end of ffxii the events after battleship bahamut in rabanatre
8) Sequel mmmm ffv or ffviii
9) Side quest?... maybe ff8 card game
10) Tifa, Penelo, or Faris (i wanted to date a pirate lady)

ibra87
January 06, 2007, 11:46 AM
Gamespot seems to disagree with you guys. Final Fantasy 12 has been granted the "Best PS2 game of the year" award.

With that been said, here is VGCat's reflection regarding FFXII's equipment system:

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=215

Venom65437
January 06, 2007, 11:48 PM
Well if that's what Gamespot thinks, that's fine, but I disagree... A LOT. Final Fantasy is one of those franchises that the mags will love regardless... I mean, the mags love freakin' Zelda 2!!

4thHokage
January 07, 2007, 12:49 AM
i think it was a good game with big problems... still i enjoyed it

zypher
January 07, 2007, 05:30 AM
Now I am getting confused??????

Should I lissen to Gamespot or should I lissen you guys... :headscratch

Now I know, I will get myself the game and come up with another opinion ^_^

Venom65437
January 08, 2007, 07:55 PM
I'm not saying the game isn't good, but I don't think it's as good as Final Fantasy should be.

ibra87
January 09, 2007, 01:19 PM
I'm not saying the game isn't good, but I don't think it's as good as Final Fantasy should be.
You played it till the end? Maybe it's just one part of the game that really gets boring before something else happens.

Venom65437
January 10, 2007, 10:24 PM
I'm not at the end yet, but I'm close.... this game is just really not that great, IMO. If I change my mind, I'll be sure to post it.

bakashijinsan
January 10, 2007, 11:14 PM
I still agree with Venom. FFXII doesn't give you the same feeling as before when you played the previous FF titles. If Gamespot ranks it as the best game of the year, then so be it. Can't seem to see why though.

Aw what the heck. It's everybody's opinion.

Venom65437
January 11, 2007, 03:28 AM
Let's be honest, Square could make, "Final Fantasy: Cloud Take a Dump" and all the mags would love it! :D

Xophien
January 11, 2007, 09:10 AM
Let's be honest, Square could make, "Final Fantasy: Cloud Take a Dump" and all the mags would love it! :D

Unfortunately, that is the truth. Well, most of Square fanboys are like that too, I was the same at a time, I was sure everything with the Squaresoft name on it was great. Then I played FFIX. What a painful day that was when my illusions shattered :darn

I'm at the last save point, right now, and I'm wondering if I'm going to do the side quests, or if I'm finishing the game first. So right now I stopped playing, so I can think about it while playing great games >.>

Venom65437
January 11, 2007, 02:49 PM
Well I personally like FF IX a lot, but I can see how it would turn some people off after 7 and 8. Especially if 7 was the first Final Fantasy you've ever played.

SilentMage
January 13, 2007, 01:31 AM
OMG!!! I can finally talk about this with people. But, right now, I just want to rant.

Begin rant
I am sofrustrated with this game. At first I thought,"Hey, I like the new battle system" and "Hey, this Balthier guy's pretty hot." But now all I can do is wonder where the hell the plot is. Compared to other FF games, the plot isn't even there. And I'm constantly trying to scrape up money. I understand that the monsters on the field aren't gonna be wallowing in gil, but having to pay for every freaking thing is really getting on my nerves. The Hunts are Ok, but what else is there? Where are fun little mini-games? Where? Where's the character development?? Where are the interesting villians??? The only guy that seems like a decent villian is Gabranth, but even that isn't being developed well. GAH!!! End rant

So now I'm really only playing because I think Balthier is the sex and for the hope that something, anything, interesting will happen. I really hope that I don't stay this frustrated.

And I apologize if anything I said upsets anyone. It's all just my opinion anyway.

Gold Knight
January 13, 2007, 01:40 AM
Iwanin told me something interesting that seems to have explained why the game started so strong and started to fade later on.

The guy who was originally the writer, director and game designer for Final Fantasy XII (Yasumi Matsuno) left in mid-development, rumor being that he had a nervous breakdown or something (but you know how rumors are). He subsequently left the company.

At that point a new writer was brought in. It's unclear whether Matsuno had completed a character development system himself, but it is known that the "license system" replaced a previously existing one, and was pretty much the last part to be incorporated into the game. It's also unclear how much the original plot was changed.

Anyway, it appears that only the director, but a good deal of the original staff abandoned the project half-way. That might have had an effect on the quality of the end result.

Venom65437
January 13, 2007, 01:42 AM
First, Silent just echoes some of the thoughts I posted earlier in this thread... my massive review.... and yea, I heard about that GK, it's too bad that happened. Especially cause I have no clue when I'll get FF XIII... much less a PS3!

SilentMage
January 13, 2007, 01:51 AM
I didn't know that so much of the staff left. That explains a lot of things.

*sighs* If I hear that FFXIII has issues like XII, then I'm not even sure if I'll attempt to get a PS3 anytime soon.[br]Posted on: January 13, 2007, 01:48:15 AM_________________________________________________oh! and I just read your review Venom. I couldn't have said it better.

Gold Knight
January 13, 2007, 03:04 AM
I doubt they'll want to go thru the embarrassment of having so much staff disarray again any time soon SilentMage, so I doubt FFXIII will suffer from the same setbacks.

I just wish I had been warned about that whole situation before I had played FF XII, I would have been more prepared I think. Heh.

SilentMage
January 13, 2007, 03:54 AM
A friend of mine had kept going on and on about the awesomeness of Balthier and in turn got me really hyped up and thinking that if one character is that awesome, the others and the story would be interesting as well.

Never again. :darn

4thHokage
January 13, 2007, 06:19 AM
silent mage... bathier was a sick character, however i agree that 99% of the other aspects of the game wasnt as good. I just felt that most characters had potential to get more deep: i wanted to get more involved with the whole fran vs. viera thing. Baash had a very interesting past however the story makers didnt ellaborate and suprised me, he was a cliche knight with no angle (think back to steiner) and his ending kinda peed me off. Ashe is the most bland princess out of the whole ff series, if you dont agree with me... then think back to garnett in ffix, her storyline was lacking. And finally the main protagonist, Vaan + penelo, had no potential in building character. Its just disapointing to think that Vaan as the main dude will be forgotten soon, where i still remeber bartz, cloud, squall, zidane, and tidus as great lead roles, and will never be forgotten to me.

SilentMage
January 13, 2007, 01:40 PM
I know Balthier is pretty twisted. Someone took it upon themselves to spoil his background for me, and I had a serious WTF moment. XD I really couldn't relate to Fran and the other viera, for some reason. I like her, but they didn't give her background much development. Basch could have been very interesting but they simply decided to shove him into the "loyal knight" category, exactly like Steiner. I haven't seen his ending yet though. And I agree completely about Ashe. Vaan is probably the most disappointing and obnoxious lead character ever. Penelo just seemed to exist. She doesn't seem to add much of anything to the game. Just space.

Nice meeting you by the way!

4thHokage
January 13, 2007, 08:14 PM
yeah nice to meet you too.. hahah take it for someone to spoil one of the rare highlights of the actual game. As for penelo, i think she was just created as a link between the party and lord larsa.

i would like so se her have somesort of romantic interest towards vaan, to have more texture to this story... if there was implications of it then i didnt notice

Gold Knight
January 14, 2007, 03:18 AM
Perhaps I should change the thread of this thread to FF XII Thread: Vent Away!!! Heh.

Oh well, I'll forgive Squaresoft this time. It's not very often they disappoint me with a FF game. And if nothing else, it was eye candy and kept me interested for a few weeks.

Venom65437
January 14, 2007, 04:38 AM
Have you beaten it, GK?

Gold Knight
January 14, 2007, 05:38 AM
No, I'm a little over halfway. I'll come back to it sooner or later, but I can tell by my friends' reactions to finishing it/or being close to the end that I can expect much of the same that they experienced.

SilentMage
January 14, 2007, 12:31 PM
I'm about 40 hours in, but I spent a lot/most of it running around fighting things and doing hunts to get money.

zypher
January 14, 2007, 06:29 PM
Yeah I herd it is dificult to get money this time... is it true??

Venom65437
January 14, 2007, 07:57 PM
Yes Zypher, you sell items from enemies instead of getting money from them. This doesn't bother me except that they're all SO worthless you could literally spend hours just to get all the money you need to buy things. I usually just keep playing...

zypher
January 15, 2007, 11:08 AM
I hate to farm money, but mabye it is good to have to fight for it this time. who knows ??

Xophien
January 15, 2007, 05:16 PM
I like the looting system, since it's just so much more logical that monsters don't carry gils, so selling the loot for money is a great idea. But I agree with Venow with the fact that the money is a really big problem in this game, you just never have much, and more than one time I had to go farming to buy the latest spells (or a bunch of remedies to use with the Nihopalaoa >.>).

I'm still at the last save point, I really should finish the game right now but I just can't get in the mood :darn

ibra87
January 15, 2007, 05:22 PM
I like the looting system, since it's just so much more logical that monsters don't carry gils, so selling the loot for money is a great idea. But I agree with Venow with the fact that the money is a really big problem in this game, you just never have much, and more than one time I had to go farming to buy the latest spells (or a bunch of remedies to use with the Nihopalaoa >.>).

I'm still at the last save point, I really should finish the game right now but I just can't get in the mood :darn
Does it help if I tell you three hot chicks from your favorite manga/anime will knock at your door as soon as you finish it? :oh

La_Muerte
January 15, 2007, 05:28 PM
in the beginning its hard to make money but once ur leveled up just go to the places where theres monsters that give u good loot and ur all set, i stopped playing it about 3 weeks after it came out, i had everybody at level 45 in the area right after u defeat Cid for the first time i dont know why i just stopped but i guess at some point ill get back on to it cause it is an awesome and interesting game

fremeer
January 18, 2007, 11:13 AM
finished it a while ago(b4 christmas sometime). People who started at 7 will find vaan lacking as a character(he is) but u need to understand that this was designed to be more similar to ff6 in the aspect of a party of heroes instead of the story of one. How many characters in ff6 are memorable about 4. The worst parts of ff12 were need for a playguide from the start just so u didnt end up missing ur chance for zodiac spear. The stupid random chests and the useless magic(what does vanish do!!!) In total the game felt half finished with the strong points being the start and the end. The "optional bosses" were however quite difficult but only because of their stupid amounts of HP.
The game feels rushed and unfinished with certain things feeling empty(most towns were lifeless and had no real depth). The license grid was stupid in its creation with no need for techs and guns dropping in use as the game goes on(max damage a gun can do is ~its power squared). penelo+fran ended up being nothing more then c3po and chewie. Memorable but not adding to the story whatsoever. Balthier is han which is why every1 loves him, basch is obi wan, ashe is leia and vaan is luke(crappy luke from first one). If any1 finishes the game they will realize why i compare the character to star wars. The whole Ashe + vaan thing with the ghost never explained either. Add in the Gods thing and some random shit and the story is crap in a hand basket FFX has the story and character interaction down pat. ff12 has the best combat system. ff13 should be interesting cause of the VS verison and normal one.

For any1 wanting to try something new try DQ8 or star ocean 3. both are quite old but are really fun to play.

deathshadow25
January 18, 2007, 05:05 PM
I haven't beaten the game yet unfortunateley currently I just recieved Lentes Tear from Jote and

onewingedsoldier
January 26, 2007, 03:13 PM
1) I admit I've only played a couple or so, but I love VII X3
2) Sephiroth!!
3) ...Sephiroth X3
4) Bahumunt or Knights of Round
5) VII X3
6) Either going through the whole Battle Arena *just* to get omnislash or the boss battle at the Macarania (?) Temple in X (both took me a while because I'm not too good a player XD)
7) There's WAY too many to choose from, but I agree with juUnior...Last Order rocked!!
8) He he, I've GOT a sequal (and prequals) - FFVII XD
9) I love raising chocobos!
10) Cloud!

Venom65437
January 27, 2007, 03:00 PM
For those of you who haven't played any Final Fantasy lower than 7, I highly recommend you do. With remakes of the originals there is no reason not too! You can get 1-2,4-6 on the PSone (4 comes with freakin' Chrono Trigger!!) and you can get 1-2, 4-6 (6 on Feb. 6) on GBA, and 3 on DS (in 3D!) So play the old games, you don't know what you're missing!

Xophien
January 28, 2007, 03:34 AM
It's just too bad that the remakes on Psone just had freakin' long loading times... I mean, my PS2 is lagging when I'm playing FFVI :blink

But I agree with Venom, everyone should definitely try the older ones, because though it's a bit hard to stomach the 15 years old graphics when you're used to your PS2, the scenarios and characters are just more than worth it :amuse

ILUVATAR
January 28, 2007, 02:29 PM
..... >.> can't say that Final Fantasy IV for GBA impressed me..... >.< lame dialogues but such a cool story T_T too bad. haven't completed it yet though so i am waiting for domething good to come.

Venom65437
January 28, 2007, 05:13 PM
Yea, FF IV for the GBA is a pretty bad port... gotta love how you can sometimes get two turns in a row magically. Haha.

FF 4 is a good game, but I have some serious issues with it as well...

onewingedsoldier
January 29, 2007, 04:39 PM
I've been meaning to get a hold of the earlier games on PS or GBA but I never seem to have the money! I'll keep my eyes leeped though *_*

Tamerlane
January 30, 2007, 11:03 AM
I still have to finish the game as well. I am sorry to say that my attention has kind of wandered. >_>

I really love games where there is a ton of character development....and this game was a real let down in that area.

I will finish it up someday....now that I know what to expect. I have put too much time into it not to.

deathshadow25
January 30, 2007, 02:07 PM
I still have to finish the game as well. I am sorry to say that my attention has kind of wandered. >_>

I really love games where there is a ton of character development....and this game was a real let down in that area.

I will finish it up someday....now that I know what to expect. I have put too much time into it not to.

I don't mind the character development too much even though it would have been nice. Actually if you think about it there is alot of character development with just Asha but not too much with the other characters. We do get some backstory though.....

Right now I'm in that place in Jagd and I just recieved that stone from Reddas and he is in my party.

Epul
January 31, 2007, 02:59 AM
1) Favourite game: FF8
2) Favourite character: Yuffie(FF7)
3) Favourite villain: The turks(they are so cool!)
4)Favourite summon: Bahamut
5) Played most: FF7
7) Toughest challenge: Beating WEAPONS in FF7
8) favourite moment: scene with squall and rinoa in ragnarok with Eyes on me playing in the background
9) most wanted sequal: probably ff8 or ff7
10)Favourite sidequest: Raising chocobos in ff7
11) would like to date: aerith or yuna ( i just love the innocent type)

Venom65437
January 31, 2007, 09:18 PM
I bet Epul likes to corrupt the innocent! :D

Epul
February 01, 2007, 07:27 PM
I bet Epul likes to corrupt the innocent! :D

Hahaah I wouldn't say 'corrupt' them but I prefer the word 'educate' :p hehehe don't we all always fall for the innocent type?

bakashijinsan
February 02, 2007, 03:52 AM
Just finished the game, for the heck of finishing it! :amuse

But I honestly didn't feel satisfied. Maybe because of the long hiatus on playing the game. Or maybe because my TV's not working properly. I dunno but for whatever reasons, I feel like FF darted down several levels with this installment.

*waiting for the next FF installment with the hope of not being disappointed*

Iwanin
February 02, 2007, 04:24 AM
I haven't read this thread in its entirety, but from what I can tell a lot of people where as disappointed with the game as I was (which I finished last April - I played the Japanese version).

This is somewhat heartening, since reviewers on both sides of the Pacific gave the game an extremely warm welcome, so I thought that maybe I was just crazy... :darn ... it turns out I'm not.

I wrote this in-depth critique of the game for Gold Knight over a month ago... and since I see this thread isn't dead yet, I'm posting it for those who are interested in it.

The critique is divided into four points. Point one is very long. The rest are an easy read. Thus, point one I've encased in spoiler tags. Only those who are *really* interested in game analysis need bother with it.

Anyway, here goes.

1. Character development system is retarded.

I've heard a great many remarks on how "deep" and "customizable" it is. That you may customize your characters however you want is very, very true; however, unless to decide not to spend those license points you earn on anything useful, what you'll end up with is characters with a hodgepodge of skills, who do not correspond to any "class" whatsoever.

In depth analysis

A well conceived character development system allows you to focus your experience points in learning exclusively the set of skills you want your character to have; and spending your points on developing a set of skills A means that you neglect the set B. If I want to create a wizard, then I'll be spending his or her points on developing the characters magic attack power and MP attributes. I'll also spend those points on learning spells instead of skills such as "steal."

The more I ignore a certain set of skills B in favor of the set A, the greater (and quicker) the set of skills A develops.

This does not happen in Final Fantasy XII.

I can spend all my license points in acquiring the blackest of black magic as soon as humanly possible, and that will be of absolutely no consequence, since I have to "buy" the spells in order to use them, and they won't be for sale for ten, maybe twenty hours. What I'll do, if I want to progress normally in the game, is buy the licenses for the skills and spells I *can* buy, or - assuming money's an issue (and it was in the Japanese version) - that I've ALREADY bought, since every character has access to abilities bought provided they have the corresponding license - whether you like it or not.

And it's a "whether you like it or not" situation indeed. Suppose that you want to get the skill "dark" - you know, the one in which you deal damage by sacrificing part of your HP. You want to create a "Dark Knight", you see. Well, it so happens that to be able to buy the license for "dark", you have to buy the licenses for skills which are not very "dark knight-ish" at all, such as (to put an example) "steal." You decide to buy the license for "steal" but not the skill itself. You eventually find a shop which sells "dark" and you buy it. You have your license. You have your DarK Knight.

But wait. You want another party member to be a theif. So you buy the skill "steal" from the shop, and guess what! Your Dark Knight now has "steal" too - all characters that went through that square do. I hope you're not thinking of having your dark night learn "gravity", 'cuz you'll have to turn him into a black wizard in the process (spending the corresonding license points).

The point is that the developers aren't giving me the freedom to decide what my characters can or cannot do. In a well crafted development system, you're given the choice between "thief skils" and "dark night" skills. If you chose dark night skills, all those points you don't spend on thief skills go into making you a bigger and badder dark night. But in Final Fantasy XII, you won't be able to make a big bad dark knight until the game decides to sell you the skills, at which point all characters who had to go through the corresponding license square become dark nights.

So my characters will all have black and white magic, and they'll all have the same spells and skills - the ones I've bought. There are not that many stat boost squares (which give you more MP, HP and such), so what determines which "class" your character corresponds to is ultimately your armor, and the problem detailed above applies here, as well: you buy licenses for the armor which is *available.*

So yes, you can have a party of three knights, and by changing their weapons and armor you can change them into three wizards on the fly - but that is precisely why there is no character development per se. You don't invest in a given set of attributes and then face the consequences or reap the rewards. You just buy what you can and outfit your characters with it.

Near the end of the game, once all spells, skills, weapons and armor where finally available, all my characters had all stat boost squares and most had all black and white magic, not to mention half of all skills. And I didn't even stop to level up - all I had to do was equip that thing-a-majig which allows you to earn twice the License points.

That's my beef with the license system: there's no strategic character development in there. It's all smoke and mirrors.

2. There are not enough treasure chests.

In a game where it may literally take you hours to get through a dungeon, you would expect there's more to do in there than simply whack away at bats and walking skelletons. Where the "valuable" treasure chests are is a mystery to me. "10 Gil!" and "Potion" are not enough to get me excited. The most "valuable" chests I normally found in there were gambits - and no, I do not consider being allowed to make my computer controlled companions less retarded a "reward", specially when "heal when under 40% ELSE attack weakest enemy" works so well for most of the game.

This may have changed in the overseas version of the game - I only played the Japanese one, so I wouldn't know.

3. The game is way too "big"

Now, one of the reasons the dungeons take so long to get through is because they're literally huge, even if there's not much to do other than go through it. Towns are huge, too. This makes the game needlessly long. It's not that there's more to do than in previous games, it's just that doing iit takes longer, 'cuz there's a *lot* of walking involved, even if you *do* use warp points and moogles (those who've played it know what I mean by "moogles").

I finished the game in around 80 hours. It took me a lot longer than it would have if my Japanese had been better at that point, especially since Final Fantasy XII is not particularly easy to read, and I like to talk to all the characters in town (now imagine if takes twice as long to read what they"re saying). I would have probably finished it in around 60 hours if I had played it in English. Without doing any sidequests, other than a few guild missions. That's not a lot of content per hour playtime. In 60 hours I could probably completely finish Final Fantasy VI. Conventional wisdom would hold that this makes FFXII better, since it's longer - but this isn't necessarily the case, since every hour of FFVI is packed with around twice the content found in FFXII.

Little content per hour of playtime = boredom.

4. Story...what story?

Not particularly long, but contains some spoilers. Those who are already like 20 hours into the game have nothing to fear, though.

No, seriously, what's the story? Ashe takes up rock collecting because she can either use them for revenge or to bring world peace. Vaan tags along for no reason other than to ride the airship. Penelo tags along because Vaan is "hopeless without her." Fran has the hots for Balthier and the latter has the hots for Ashe, so both end up following her. About the only one with a legitimate reason for risking his neck over a stubborn princess' whim is Basche, since he's her retainer.

Was there a scene in the U.S. version where Basche took it upon himself to explain to Ashe that he *didn't* kill her father? Because if it was there in the Japanese version, I must have been completely asleep. My Japanese may not be perfect, but I think I would have noticed if this had been the case.

If you ask me, the story starts losing steam precisely when you finally set off with your entire party. The bad guys are in one part of the world and your party's somewhere else. There is no interaction between them, so you don't really feel involved in the plot...whatever it is.

From there on it's all downhill. The ending is kinda contrived and I, personally, was not really pumped for the final battle. It's kinda like "er, ok...guess what! Final battle!" as opposed to the culmination of the story... again,whatever it is.

Worst of all is the utter lack of character development throughout the game. We're meant to see the contrast between Vaan's outlook on life versus Ashe's, but do we really need to see it over and over for fifty hours? There's no change in either until the very end, and with the possible exception of Basche, the remaining cast members don't even get as much.

It's... boring.

And, as Forest Gump would say, "that's about all I have to say about that."

Venom65437
February 02, 2007, 07:22 PM
I agree Iwa, you said a lot of the same things I did.

LadyHatake
February 04, 2007, 06:44 PM
I kinda gave up on FFXII >.> I just got to the point where the game was starting to feel boring and redundant. Im sure that I'll probably finish it this sumer, but only to get it done with. I hate leaving things half done. But still, the game lost my interest after the 30 or so hours.

Venom65437
February 04, 2007, 08:04 PM
Well, I've started playing it again, want to at least finish it once.

LadyHatake
February 04, 2007, 08:40 PM
Well, I've started playing it again, want to at least finish it once.

How ar into it are you?

Venom65437
February 05, 2007, 12:39 AM
Well considering you said you're about 30 hours into it, we're probably at about the same place, that's about how long I've been playing.

deathshadow25
February 06, 2007, 08:17 PM
I kinda gave up on FFXII >.> I just got to the point where the game was starting to feel boring and redundant. Im sure that I'll probably finish it this sumer, but only to get it done with. I hate leaving things half done. But still, the game lost my interest after the 30 or so hours.

I hear you. I bought it when it first came out but when I started playing it again, It got all exciting and good. I dunno it could just be because I'm starved for a good RPG but I heard Rogue Galaxy is supposed to be stallar ( get it stellar space hahaha oh whatever) and that Liyazaki did the animation for it.

right now I'm at the part where I have to go to Bahumet and I'm already in the game for about 92 hrs of my life.

4thHokage
February 08, 2007, 10:34 PM
i think what makes this game most disapointing is that we had such high expectations. I believe that if FF veterans (i would consider myself one lol) will be disapointed in how it turned out, considering its predicessors from ff4(esp in the story line) the story line and character developtment developments not as good (exceptp 4 ffx-2).

here are my beef with the game:

the licence grid is frustruating, i mean you can make your characters diverse to in the each others early in the game, however therin lies its flaws. the diversity created is namely up to you and nothing reflecting character. And as you level up and get more license points and starts to fill up the grid, everyone is the same character tacticly and ideally everyone should be equipped the tournesol or zodiac spear (just as an example).

remeber the classic systems? the junction, materia, jobs system, i even liked the grid sphere and dress phere systems in the other games.

the summoning system is crap, i mean has anyone legitimately seen zodiak doing his limit in the heat of a battle?

as for the other aspects of the game read iwanin's post, esp point 3 and 4 inrelation to the story and largeness of areas. seriously in ridorana you literally have to climb up 100 levels of crap i found no enjoyment at all from it.

iwanin said this about the storys plot, i couldnt say it any better

"If you ask me, the story starts losing steam precisely when you finally set off with your entire party. The bad guys are in one part of the world and your party's somewhere else. There is no interaction between them, so you don't really feel involved in the plot...whatever it is."

the game was ok at times, thats why i spent all that time on it, however.... it coulda been better

Venom65437
February 09, 2007, 12:53 AM
I rather hate the license system myself, and I'm also not a big fan of the Materia etc, basically any system that lets you have complete freedom what to do with the characters. Why? Because it takes away all the strategy of the game of which characters to bring with you. I mean, sure you don't HAVE to give all your characters the most useful abilities, but if I can, why wouldn't I?

I much rather would have to decide who stays and who goes on a mission.

I agree, the summon system sucks, they're all pretty worthless, and after you get a few, they're no help at all against a boss. FF X definitely had the best system.

I don't need to repeat on what I think about the story, characters, etc. If anyone wants to know, look up my monster, spoiler free post earlier.

Iwanin
February 09, 2007, 05:04 AM
I rather hate the license system myself, and I'm also not a big fan of the Materia etc, basically any system that lets you have complete freedom what to do with the characters. Why? Because it takes away all the strategy of the game of which characters to bring with you. I mean, sure you don't HAVE to give all your characters the most useful abilities, but if I can, why wouldn't I?

I had the exact same beef with the Materia system. I enjoy the strategy involved in developing each character's unique abilities and then putting them together to form the best party possible for a given scenario...and with the materia system, you're not developing characters - you're developing rocks characters can swap at a moment's notice.

I agree, the summon system sucks, they're all pretty worthless, and after you get a few, they're no help at all against a boss. FF X definitely had the best system.

In the Japanese version you couldn't even assign gambits to the summon monsters...I'm assuming it remained unchanged? Using your myst cartridges on limit break chains (they were called Myst Knacks or something in the JP version... I'm assuming they found a better name for them) is much, much more effective than summoning monsters.

I personally like Final Fantasy X's battle system the best. It's the deepest and most strategic, and though it's not real time, it's pretty damned fast if you know what you're doing. The summons are also useful without being *too* powerful.

The guy who does Front Mission (who did the battle system for FFX) should be given charge of the Final Fantasy series period. :p

Incidentally, I finished Blue Dragon (for Xbox360) about a month ago, and I've gotta say that, while it may not go down as a classic, it's pretty damned good, and a lot closer to "Final Fantasy" than XII. It's basically Final Fantasy V-2, as far as the character development system's concerned.

At any rate, as far as I'm concerned, X was the last Final Fantasy, and the successors to this series are Hironobu Sakaguchi's (the creator of Final Fantasy) Blue Dragon and Lost Odysee. FF fans would do well to buy themselves an Xbox360. :tem

4thHokage
February 09, 2007, 05:35 AM
i liked the growth and complimentary aspects of the materia system, i guess the major downside of the materia system is that anyone can equip any materia.... personal opinion i like it. The mist knacks (quickenings) i think was a big flaw of the game, sure it was effective, but i feel over stimulating and redundant, esp when you have a big chain, mist knacks makes any summon/upgrades/special moves look bland (i wasnt impressed with any summons even though they are more visually appealing that the other games).

"In the Japanese version you couldn't even assign gambits to the summon monsters...I'm assuming it remained unchanged?"

yeah you can assign gambits on summons they just do whatever they want.

as for the best system? ffv... makes up for the predictable story line... the junction system is a close second to me..

Venom65437
February 09, 2007, 02:12 PM
FF V... best system of all no doubt!!! :D

deathshadow25
February 09, 2007, 11:27 PM
I don't mind the battle system in FF12 too much but what I do mind is that none of the characters have their own signature weapons or signature limits. The mist thing sucked in my opinion and I personally think that having a move whick uses up one bar or oyur MP is ridiculous

Venom65437
February 10, 2007, 01:33 AM
I totally agree death! Summons using up all your MP and not being very good suck. And quickenings, can be very good, but if you just happen to be unlucky you've used all your MP for nothing.

In my opinion, if you're going to do a move where you're basically putting all your chips on the table, (and you ARE by using all your MP,) it needs to seriously be worth it.

Iwanin
February 12, 2007, 02:24 AM
FF V... best system of all no doubt!!! :D

If you think so, then you'll probably like Blue Dragon. It's like a turbo-charged version of FFV's system... There are 100 skills and you can equip a maximum of ... 11, I think. Of course, you have to *learn* the skills first, and initially you can equip no more than 4.

But I guess I shouldn't stray too far from the subject. Compared to FFXII, Blue Dragon has a helluvalot of treasure chests - with good stuff in them, too. You can also search pretty much every last fallen tree leaf in the environment if you so choose - so it's not just there for show.

Er... I think I'll start a Blue Dragon thread now, or something... :p

Ayah
February 12, 2007, 02:33 AM
Make sure you mean the game when you make that thread, Iwanin.

*Didn't like the summoning*

LadyHatake
February 12, 2007, 09:10 PM
I agree about the licensing :/ it's too easy of a system, and you can make any character the same as another. There's no individuality in the characters, and really no limit to what they can do. I much prefer the systems of FFX and FFX-2. I've never actually summoned in this game, either >.>

zypher
February 17, 2007, 07:43 AM
mmmmmmm innocent :pleased (I love innocent) (I hope no one read that and got it wrong?) (nah I think not):shifty

LadyHatake
February 17, 2007, 03:26 PM
Stay on topic, everyone ^^;

Gold Knight
February 23, 2007, 04:57 AM
Er... I think I'll start a Blue Dragon thread now, or something... :p

Sounds interesting, heh. Yeah, go for it.

I'm probably going to play more FF XII this summer. Right now I'm just more interested in reading manga and watching anime, I suppose...

deathshadow25
February 23, 2007, 05:20 AM
I just beat FFXII this wednesday ! YAY !

I have to say when I beat it I felt as if though the ending was a little abrupt cause I hadn't explored all of the areas but I guess that was just because I stopped playing for awhile

I was also expecting the last boss to be harder and less creepy looking which it certainly didn't lack in.

starfall856
February 25, 2007, 04:30 PM
1) Final Fantasy X-2, cause its the only one i have played
2) Rikku!!
3) Lablanc
4) You dont summon
5) Final Fantasy X-2
6)stupid monkey aeon thing
7)the beginning of the game where they are invading the concert
8) it is the sequel, it was a gift
9) raising the chocobos..duh!
10) Baralai, the main preator guy of New Yevon (excuse my spelling)

Schmillin
March 09, 2007, 10:13 AM
FFVI simply teh best one^^
2) Favorite character?
Shadow,Vincent,Sabin and Rikku couldn't decide xD
3) Favorite villain?
Kefka and Sephiroth
4) Favorite summon?
Knights of the round
FFVI
Don't actually remember but i'd though say that the original not DSversion of FFIII is crazy hard
when Edgar and Sabin flips the coin in FFVI
Can't decide xD
Card game in FFVIII and Chocobo thingie in FFIX
Lulu or Tifa (Hurray for Onee-sans)

Mendes
March 18, 2007, 04:36 PM
ff12 was the best i ever played... its great in every way. If u continue to play after finishing it u'd love it too. it has many side quests and the hunts were a great idea in this game. by exploring the map u will realize many connections between places u couldnt imagine before.
Right now i am aiming for the last wyrm in the coliseum at Pharos

Venom65437
March 19, 2007, 11:20 AM
Any Final Fantasy V Advance fans here? I absolutely love it. I like all the pop culture references, they're pretty funny. The best one so far is easily...

SPOILERS!!!

When you are fighting Gilgamesh for the fourth time and he says, "Now it's time to fight like men! And ladies! And ladies who dress like men! For Gilgamesh, it is morphing time!"

Too bad we could get just one, "Go, Go, Power Rangers!" In there.

LadyHatake
April 21, 2007, 11:17 AM
Yep, you read it right: Sony won't be the only one with FF rights. Recently, Final Fantasy creator Tetsuya Nomura confirmed the rumors that FFXIII would not be exclusive to PS3. So yay for not having to buy a $600 system to play the game =D

Information has not been released on which other consoles will play FFXIII, but it's a good chance that XBOX 360 and the Wii will both get rights to it.

http://www.ps3center.net/story-394.html

EDIT by GK: There's been a misunderstanding.

Just so you know, FFXIII and FFvXIII are still PS3-exclusive. Someone misunderstood what Motomu Toriyama (the director of FFXIII) said in an interview, it's not FFXIII itself that won't be exclusive to the PS3 but the FFXIII universe (aka Fabula Nova Crystallis). Meaning there will be other games labeled FFXIII (seems like SquEni wants to use the FFXIII universe at least ten years so there will be more games), but they won't be all on the PS3. FFXIII and FFvXIII still are PS3-exclusive. We may know more during the Square Enix Party in two weeks :noworry

ibra87
April 21, 2007, 11:49 AM
Umm, well the xbox360 would be very possible, but for the Wii it would require them to do some extra-work to make it comaptible with the movement-sensors and of course make the Wii-controllers do something special (like side-games or so).
But I doubt it'll be released for the DS. Just have a feeling it won't.

Do Kesubei
April 21, 2007, 12:34 PM
It's impossible for Final Fantasy XIII (in its current form) to be run on the Wii because it's so low powered. It is possible for it to get a game from the Final Fantasy XIII universe, but the Wii would explode from trying to process the White Engine.

Also, there hasn't been a press release yet from SE about this, so I wonder about this news. If I had to guess, though, at least one FFXIII will stay exclusive to the PS3, if only because of the amount of power the system has and the amount of information it can hold.

LadyHatake
April 21, 2007, 12:39 PM
If I had to guess, though, at least one FFXIII will stay exclusive to the PS3, if only because of the amount of power the system has and the amount of information it can hold.

Actually, I disagree, for one simple reason: PS3 bombed. Compared to the numbers of PS2, XBOX, XBOX 360, and Wii, PS3 has basically been a failure. I think SE's worried that because of the fewer consoles sold, if they market XIII only for PS3, their sales will suffer too. And hell, I don't blame them. I love final fantasy, but I won't buy a PS3 just to play it.

Venom65437
April 21, 2007, 12:49 PM
Well, we'll see what ultimately happens, but right now it would probably be stupid to keep FF XIII as PS3 exclusive because of how few people actually own one.

Do Kesubei
April 21, 2007, 12:52 PM
To say that a system bombed less then a year after it's release is premature, I think. Indeed, it's sales are terrible now, but it's far from dead.

SE retooling any of the FFXIII games for a system outside of the XBOX 360 is an expensive decision, one they may not be willing to take. Releasing both FFXIII games (I'm excluding the cell phone version) for both systems is a possibility, but this may also be a difficult decision because of the X360's current standing in Japan. That's why I think one could be multi-platform, while the other stays as an exclusive. Whether the multi-platform game FFXIII or Versus depends on Sony, I think.

gphjr14
April 21, 2007, 02:13 PM
see this is what happens when you drag your feet sony square-enix is trying to make some money not go broke like you

Xophien
April 23, 2007, 02:14 AM
Just so you know, FFXIII and FFvXIII are still PS3-exclusive. Someone misunderstood what Motomu Toriyama (the director of FFXIII) said in an interview, it's not FFXIII itself that won't be exclusive to the PS3 but the FFXIII universe (aka Fabula Nova Crystallis). Meaning there will be other games labeled FFXIII (seems like SquEni wants to use the FFXIII universe at least ten years so there will be more games), but they won't be all on the PS3. FFXIII and FFvXIII still are PS3-exclusive. We may know more during the Square Enix Party in two weeks :noworry

Lohnt
April 23, 2007, 07:45 AM
That makes no sense.. they're using an untested universe that may BOMB if fans dislike it (kind of like ffxii where people hated the game after the initial "ZOMG!!!11!!"ness) to mass produce sequels/spinoffs for other systems????

It's one thing to take say FF7 and make more games in that universe, but you can't do that with a game like FFXIII.. which fans know nothing about and has been untested, even X2 which realistically sucked only succeeded due to the success of X, not because it had FF in it's name.

Do Kesubei
April 23, 2007, 08:55 AM
Square is good at making universes; it's the characters and the plot which drives people crazy sometimes. Having a handful of games set in the same universe will be nice to have, as long as the characters, plot, and maybe even genre are different.

I prefer it this way actually. I never was a big fan of changing universes every game.

ssjohn
April 23, 2007, 11:57 AM
I think S-E can pull it off but only if they plan it out right... Now the down side is you have to have other Consoles to play ff13 games but look @ some of the FF spinoff's i mean they are not that good so i am not going to say FF13's spinoff on the 360 will be good becuase we dont know anything yet.

I am not counting the PS3 out just yet either it is way to early in the game so let's wait and see >_>..

Gold Knight
April 25, 2007, 08:11 PM
I'll edit the first post to mention the misunderstanding.

I was about to say, well, there goes any draw that the PS3 would get. Its sales are doing terrible right now because simply put, there are NO games that anybody is interested in right now for it. And yes, its price tag. But that'll change with time. It took time for the first PS to get popular, too.

But since FF XIII itself is actually going to be exclusive to PS3, I think the PS3 still has a chance to make a comeback. But they did make a very, very dumb decision to try to get it out at the same time as the Wii when they had so little marketing power. I suppose they thought something like this: "Oh no! The Wii is coming out, too many people will get comfortable with it and forget about the PS!" But they should have just kept concentrating on the PS2 for now.

The thing is, y'know, the games that will be made for the PS3 will naturally take longer to make than games for the Wii. So I'm not surprised it still doesn't have an appealing game library right now.

Gold Knight
April 25, 2007, 08:26 PM
The hunts are definitely my favorite part about FF 12. It's the one thing that'll probably bring me back, other than the graphics.

Jester_Rogue
April 25, 2007, 08:47 PM
I like the graphics! They are so next gen-ish that I almost wet myself, cause unfortunately I'm as broke as that mountain.

I have to say the hunts were my favorite part too, btw has anyone played Rogue Galaxy I wanna try it.

Does anybody know how to get the Ultimate Esper?

Jester_Rogue
April 25, 2007, 08:50 PM
OMG I can't believe this! I am sure that this must be a hoax! I have a headache!

I'm pretty sure the Ps3 will be reasonably priced by the time 13 come out...

Venom65437
April 26, 2007, 11:53 PM
I don't think it'll be reasonably priced at all. Sony loses a ton of money on each system sold right now as it is. There isn't going to be a lower price for a long time, IMO. Remember, Sony doesn't rely on PlayStations to make all their money the way Nintendo would. They can lose money on PlayStations and make money on other products.

LadyHatake
April 28, 2007, 11:08 AM
none the less, I won't be buying PS3, not for just XIII. I've been a Sony fan since the first PS came out (read: since I was old enough to understand/play video games) and have loved them. While the PS3 may be great, I don't want to pay $600 to play a single game (which will probably be pretty expensive itself), one that (if anything like XXII), I'll just get bored with and quit halfway through. I'd much rather wait for any Wii spin-offs and get one of the those. Sorry, Sony, but I don't want to have to pay 10-12 nights of tips just for one game.

I mean, good lord, I could buy a really nice Wacom tablet, a Wii, and games for the same price as JUST the console for PS3.

All > Sony, atm.

Venom65437
April 28, 2007, 11:36 AM
I understand completely. I am going to wait until the game comes out before I make any decisions, and with Square's track record, I have about 4 years to think about it. :D

Venom65437
May 12, 2007, 01:01 AM
The hunts are cool yes, and Rogue Galaxy sounds interesting, my friend has it and likes it. I'm going to get it one day... maybe.
[hr]
Well I beat the game tonight and my original opinion of it, when I was about 3/4th of the way done can be found here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/review/R108607.html

Anyway, the game got a little better towards the end, but I still stand by my original review, I guess I would bump it up to a 7, but pffft.

And the final boss was EXTREMELY easy, IMO.

I don't want to spoil, so I will shut up now.

Mendes
May 14, 2007, 12:37 PM
Does anybody know how to get the Ultimate Esper?

You mean the Ultima Esper right? Its located on the great crystal in Giruvegan. The way into Ultima is too confusing to explain in one post. I dont know myself how i got there :P just use a game faq with a map of the crystal, you better be prepared for that also. For the fight against Ultima (the Holy type esper). If you have, use dark element weapons and holy-absorption equipment. If you are to go for Ultima, 1st stop by the place where you can get Excalibur. Its hard for it to appear, so get a walktrough and be patient. Excalibur rocks, since it's extremely strong and has holy atribute, which is greatly effective against most of the bosses and every undead foe. Dont use it against Ultima, of course.

Aladar
June 08, 2007, 06:17 PM
http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EElEpyyEEZnffgIVMc.php :(

sad, considering im getting X360.. :(

Agrias
June 22, 2007, 07:42 PM
I guess i´m bringing this topic up =x

1) What's your favorite Final Fantasy game? FFVI and FFT (haha just take a look at my nickname and avatar. =x). I prefer the "old school" ones...
2) Favorite character? AGRIAS. #D Locke, Terra, Tifa, Mustadio, Rydia.
3) Favorite villain? KEFKA > SEPHIROTH
4) Favorite summon? Shiva :~)
5) Which game have you replayed the most? FFT, 14 times. FFVI comes second, 8 times.
6) What was the toughest challenge you ever had in a FF game? Getting the Zodiac summon (FFT), killing Atma Weapon (FF6)
7) What was your favorite clip in the games? "You son of a submariner!" ahahaa...wait...i think i could talk about every FFVI scene here...but the Opera House scene is iconic (i don´t like Celes, but i gotta admit that was beautiful.)
8) If you would like to see a sequel to any of the games, which would it be? FF6 of course.
9) What side-game do you like the most? I used to turn on my psone just to play FF8 card game. So addictive. o_o
10) If you could date a FF character, who would it be? Vincent and Locke =x

Pollux
June 23, 2007, 09:43 AM
Final Fantasy 6 with Final Fantasy 8 not far behind

2) Favorite character?
Squall Leonheart and Quistis Trepes

3) Favorite villain?
Gilgamesh in Final Fantasy 5 (quite persistent isn't he ?)

4) Favorite summon?
Diablo

Final Fantasy 6

The weapons in Final Fantasy 7

The opening of Final Fantasy 8

Final Fantasy 6 or 8

Triple Triad. The first time I played through FF8, I did not pay attention to this game but as soon as I started playing it, I became addicted.

Quistis Trepes

juUnior
June 24, 2007, 11:09 AM
Wow, so there are fans who also like FF6 like some of the favourite game in the series, superb :p :D
I must say that Kefka was hilarious as bad guy, even though to some point I didn't believed that he will be the main bad guy :D:D

Agrias
June 25, 2007, 01:03 PM
Wow, so there are fans who also like FF6 like some of the favourite game in the series, superb :p :D
I must say that Kefka was hilarious as bad guy, even though to some point I didn't believed that he will be the main bad guy :D:D

How could you doubt Kefka, YOU SON OF A SUBMARINER!!!

:eyeroll

Kefka is wicked. 10 Sephiroths would never do what he did in Doma. ;~

juUnior
June 27, 2007, 12:11 PM
Kefka is wicked. 10 Sephiroths would never do what he did in Doma. ;~
xDxDxD

Now when I think about it, it would be awesom to see FF6 remake in the version of 3D and new technology.. it could be more cooler (...) or even more people would have know one of the best story and characters from FF games :D

ibra87
June 27, 2007, 01:56 PM
Any Final Fantasy V Advance fans here? I absolutely love it. I like all the pop culture references, they're pretty funny. The best one so far is easily...

SPOILERS!!!

When you are fighting Gilgamesh for the fourth time and he says, "Now it's time to fight like men! And ladies! And ladies who dress like men! For Gilgamesh, it is morphing time!"

Too bad we could get just one, "Go, Go, Power Rangers!" In there.

Any "noticable" or significant change other than the Dark technique Cecil has in the beginning of the game?

Venom65437
June 27, 2007, 09:02 PM
[/spoiler]

Any "noticable" or significant change other than the Dark technique Cecil has in the beginning of the game?

Well there are some extra jobs and dungeons near the end of the game like all the remakes. Other than that no. But there are no awful loading times, like the PSone version, and I don't think the difficulty was touched.

ibra87
June 29, 2007, 08:34 AM
Good thing about the loading times. I didn't finish the PS version because of that.

On another note, I don't know if this has been said here before, but here are new screens for Crisis Core: http://the-magicbox.com/0705/game070507e.shtml

Decir
June 30, 2007, 10:12 AM

FF6 with FF4 directly behind it.

2) Favorite character?

Locke

3) Favorite villain?

Ultross

4) Favorite summon?

Ifrit

FF6 (around 11-12 times)

To play it and see all the sad things in the stories

Opening of FF9

I don't like sequels. They just ruin the story.

Is the arena in FF6 a side-game?

Celes, the HOTTEST women ever in a video game. :love

fxrznaruto23
July 16, 2007, 09:47 PM
im playing FFIV its a great game

GrayFoxx
July 18, 2007, 10:06 AM
Let's see...

1) Final Fantasy VII
2) Cloud
3) Sephiroth
4) Bahamut
5) Final Fantasy VIII
6) Emerald and Ruby Weapons
7) Opening from Final Fantasy VIII
8) Final Fantasy IX
9) Golden Chocobo in Final Fantasy VII
10) Tifa

Leos~
August 20, 2007, 05:06 PM
Let's see here...

Let's see here, If I were to order them it would be FF7 first, followed closely by FF6. My least favorite FF would be FF 8 (don't get me wrong, it was still good, I just thought it was WAAAAY too easy, and the gameplay was not that good. The story was still great though!)

2) Favorite character?

My favorite character would have to be either cloud or Locke

3) Favorite villain?

I would have to say I like Sephiroth, followed by Kefka. (sorry Agrias!)

4) Favorite summon?

Leviathan!!!!!!!!

FF9. It was my first final fantasy, and I always go back to it for some reason.

EFFIN RUBY WEAPON IN FF7 :mad The one time i managed to stay alive long enough to do decent damage on him, I fought him for 3 hours straight without him dying, so i had to give up. And I was using KotR practically every round (gotta love mimic)!!!! That mofo haxed! Anywho, enough of my ranting.

The intro into FF 8, squall and seifer fighting was wicked.

I'm not big on sequals, and am sad with the way the new president of square-enix has exploited the FF7 universe. I hold out hope on Crisis Core being good though!

The card games in both FF8 and FF9, though all the chocobo stuff in FF7 is a close second.

uhhhhhhhhhh Yuffie mebbe?

LotusBlade
August 29, 2007, 07:22 PM
Sorry for a second to ruin all the fun, but I seriously don't understand whats so fun about Final Fantasy. Its taking turns attacking each other and I hate that style of gaming, and isn't it boring like that? No intensity, although the graphics are really nice. Convince me Otherwise!!

Decir
August 30, 2007, 06:49 AM
What's so good on Final Fantasy? Well, non of the games are in the olymp of rpg's but they're usually very good japan rpg meat.

baboysai
August 30, 2007, 08:33 AM
what's so good about FF? for me it's the world and fights they've created that have been copied by other games, i really felt that FF was the real thing among fantasy rpgs. The stories are very interesting, and I think square really works hard on character development more compared to other RPGs . Stories are the number 1 reason I play RPGs, then game play of course. I think that FF has really developed great game play over the years.

I dunno how you don't feel the intensity but, when I play, and I hear the boss music going on, I know i'm in deep sh*t. I dunno, I just get into the game and it's exciting as hell.

krazykone12
September 10, 2007, 01:26 AM
FFXIII 360 version would be awesome

Voxbox
September 15, 2007, 05:37 PM
1)Favorite Final Fantasy game?
Final Fantasy 9. Best skill system and ending.
FF7 is close with it's best story.

2) Favorite character?
Galuf! That beard...

3) Favorite villain?
Kefka (best theme song also)
Still, Ultros is a close runner ;)

4) Favorite summon?
Fat Chocobo :)

Final Fantasy 7

Not loosing my interest in FF12... or beating FF7 on level 45.

Ending FF9 (or the intro to Crisis Core)

FF6

Triple Triad or Chocobo treasure hunting.

Barret probably, haha :D

Love Amano btw. Hate FFT, broken difficulty adjustment when it's at it´s worst.

Mendes
September 16, 2007, 08:43 PM

FF X. Ok, i only played ff VIII, X, X-2 and XII, but I loved the 10th story. The XII was very enjoyable as well and finally the random fights are over!

2) Favorite character?

Auron's got the style. His swords are my fav

3) Favorite villain?

Sin : O

4) Favorite summon?

Anima, by far!

FF X, by far.. and i'm still not done with it yet :P

Going trough the unbelievably boring ff X-2 just for the memories it brought me from ff X

That's a hard one... ff8 had amazing clips, but maybe I'd choose Sin destroying Zanarkand in the middle of an amazing blitzball match

A better sequel of ff X. ff X-2 was way way beneath my expectations

FF XII's fiend hunting. Also FF X's fiend capturing. What can I say, I like slaying ff's fiends more than anything else in video games :P

I played only 4 ff's, but Rikku in FF X-2 would be my choice (Yuna->FF X-2 and Rinoa would be nearby :P)

Gold Knight
September 20, 2007, 02:15 AM
Just updating this thread to mention that it's been long enough, that mentions of anything from FF XII is allowed here now. So if you want to add anything from that game in your ten answers, go right ahead :)

ibra87
September 20, 2007, 08:49 AM
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned before but there's an updated FFXII called "Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System". I'm sure they realized how stupid and confusing parts of gameplay system was so they've made some improvements. Here's how IGN summarizes it:

"In the new version of XII, there are 12 different layouts of the license board based on different jobs you can give the characters, opening up a whole new level of complexity to add to the epic show-stopper. Other goodies include a 16:9 view mode that enables widescreen viewing and a new bonus DVD."

I really love the idea of one player having only one job so I'm very happy with this update, but why they enabled English speech but only Japanese menus is beyond me :s

Leos~
October 05, 2007, 10:00 PM
Barret probably, haha :D

Ok, this has been bothering me for some time, but did anyone else go on a date with barret in FF7 when your at the Golden Saucer place?! My first time through the game I wound up with Cloud and Barret going out and I was like :err Every other time I've gotten either Aeris or Tifa.

Dhomochevsky
October 06, 2007, 04:00 AM
1. Favorite Final Fantasy: FFTactics. The job system is my favorite and I love the grid battles. FFVII holds a special place as well as FFV.

2. Favorite Character: That's a tough one. It's a toss up between Aeris, Vincent, and Delita. If I did have to choose only one, it would be Aeris. Also one of my saddest video game moments.

3. Favorite Villian: JENOVA. Sephiroth's mom plus her theme song is one of my favorites.

4. Favorite Summon: Bahamut. I think though that Bahamut Zero's Terra Flare is the coolest.

5. Most Replayed Game: FFVII. I lost count of how many times I beat it after 20...I'm pretty sure I've found and done everything. I did hear a rumor though that in the Japanese version you can get Aeris back in your party when you see her ghost in the church.

6. Toughest Challenge: Recently it is the Pharos Subterra in FFXII. The last boss of FFVIII was a pain for me (probably because I never really got into it). I tried and tried but couldn't beat it. I gave up but after two years I decided to try it again and beat it the first time.

7. Favorite Clip: Any clip with the Weapons from FFVII. My top would be when they first appear or when the one (Diamond Weapon?) attacks Midgard.

8. Sequel to Any Game: Final Fantasy Tactics. The gameboy version was disappointing so I'd like to see a better one.

9. Favorite Side-Game: It's gotta be G-Bike. That's the only thing that really comes to mind.

10. Date a Character: I'd have to say...Shiva.

Ok, this has been bothering me for some time, but did anyone else go on a date with barret in FF7 when your at the Golden Saucer place?! My first time through the game I wound up with Cloud and Barret going out and I was like :err Every other time I've gotten either Aeris or Tifa.
I've done it a few times. You can also date Yuffie. You basically have to be extremely nice/agree with only one character and to all the other ones be mean/disagree.

Leos~
October 06, 2007, 09:52 AM
[quote]I've done it a few times. You can also date Yuffie. You basically have to be extremely nice/agree with only one character and to all the other ones be mean/disagree.[/qoute]
HAHA! I'm not insane! :tem I've never managed to get Yuffie....Maybe I'll have to play through the game again...

baboysai
October 06, 2007, 09:58 AM
question about FF8:

I'm playing using the emulator and was wondering if there were bugs because I'm at disc 2, the part before I get to fight NORG in balamb garden where the garden flies. Cid asks the party to check it out so you go to the 2nd floor deck right? and there's a slight FMV with the birds. you're supposed to get back in, but I get stuck. I can't open the door back in and I can't move on.

I've played this like, years before, and can't seem to remember if I encountered this problem. can someone enlighten me about this?

suicida
November 01, 2007, 07:03 AM
1) FFVII
2) Sephirot
3) Sephirot
4) Bahamut Zero
5) FFVII
6) 1st time killing Sephirot
7) Death of Aeris
8) Probably nothing to do with the question but i would like a remake of FFVII for PS3
9) Shadow Hearts: Covenant
10) Tifa, booby power :P

Xophien
December 16, 2007, 06:53 PM
Finally, finally, FINALLY some new trailers of FFXIII and FFvXIII!!!

FFXIII : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHpxRuafXG8
FFvXIII : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEvvcEUtb_E

If only for those two, I'll be sure to buy a PS3, and maybe even a HD TV. They're just AWESOME LOOKING :shakefist

Edit :
FFXIII trailer (41.5MB) | Sendspace (http://www.sendspace.com/file/z6cd42) | Rapidshare (http://rapidshare.com/files/77083609/ff13trailer2.avi)
FFvXIII trailer (41.6MB) | Sendspace (http://www.sendspace.com/file/fsb54i) | Rapidshare (http://rapidshare.com/files/77082466/ffvs13trailer2.avi)

ibra87
December 16, 2007, 07:06 PM
THAT WAS BLOODY AWESOME! The urge to buy a PS3 instead of xbox360 rising drastically... the feeling of PS3 not being worth is really starting to fade away now, heh.

Xophien
December 16, 2007, 07:31 PM
And just because bigger is better, here are HQ versions :luv

FFXIII trailer (41.5MB) | Sendspace (http://www.sendspace.com/file/z6cd42) | Rapidshare (http://rapidshare.com/files/77083609/ff13trailer2.avi)
FFvXIII trailer (41.6MB) | Sendspace (http://www.sendspace.com/file/fsb54i) | Rapidshare (http://rapidshare.com/files/77082466/ffvs13trailer2.avi)

LadyHatake
December 16, 2007, 08:19 PM
Xoph <3 I love those trailers. I only hope I can afford a PS3 by the time the games come out >.>

Mendes
December 16, 2007, 10:33 PM
Wow! Amazing! Does anyone know when the game is scheduled to come out in US?

hatsuharupeace
December 16, 2007, 11:18 PM
HOLY S**T!!! THAT LOOKS SO GOOD!!!! WHEN PS3 GETS CHEAPER, I'M SO BUYING IT, ALONG WITH FFXIII AND VERSUS AS WELL!!

rabb
December 17, 2007, 04:35 AM
ohhhh... that clip smells yummy.... dang, once i get some money, i might have to get a ps3 just for that...

hmm... my first time in here... i guess i should answer those questions...

IV
2) Favorite character?
Yuffie from VII
3) Favorite villain?
if you can count him, Reno from VII
4) Favorite summon?
Shiva XD gotta love an esper named after the god of death and destruction. Ifrit was cool too. (the VI versions)
IV
when Cecil faught himself in IV to become a Paladin, i just couldn't figger out that i wasn't supposed to attack him. noob mistake, i know ;-; oh, and on VI (or III, if you prefer) i was stuck on that damn island after "the end of the world" for at least an hour before i found out how to get off.
in the ones i've played (up threw 7) there were no scenes that really stood out as favorite for me.
I'd like to see a sequel to VI with the return of magic. i mean, energy, in this case magic, doesn't just disappear. it is a fundamental rule of physics. it simply changes forms. so i'd like to see magic and espers make a come back. but then they would face a final fantasy delemma: how would they get wedge back after they killed him right at the start of VI? its not ff without sid and wedge.
does just riding chocobos count?
hmmm... (old) rydia and rikku are both young enough to have me sent to jail.. so prolly yuffie...

ftabah
December 19, 2007, 01:04 AM
This is on the same style as College Saga and Ultimate Utopia XXIII, is calle Final Nerd Wars - Episode I. Is a live action parody from the final fantasy games. I liked it a lot!
Here is the link:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rvOCgJDTiqA

Make your comments on this video!

_ATMA
December 19, 2007, 03:05 AM
uhhh..... i think i just got cancer

rabb
December 19, 2007, 03:11 AM
... the thread title is such false advertising...

ftabah
December 20, 2007, 12:33 PM
Sorry, I will correct if I can...

Edit: OK, I tried but I couldn't... Sorry.
Now I understand what you thought... :p
But this is not an official live action.

Xophien
January 20, 2008, 03:26 PM
The FFXIII and FFvXIII pages that were in the last V Jump :

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg59/Xophien/ff13_01.jpg
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg59/Xophien/ff13_03.jpg
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg59/Xophien/ff13_04.jpg

One new character (with twintails :XD), and three summons that came back, Ifrit, Siren (cute!) and Carbunkle :amuse Lightning is just HOT :darn

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg59/Xophien/ff13_02.jpg
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg59/Xophien/ff13_05.jpg
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg59/Xophien/ff13_06.jpg

Black clothed bishies? I know a german girl who's gonna be happy xD The female character here seems cool enough, too :love

LadyHatake
January 20, 2008, 09:00 PM
eiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii~~~~~~~ *fangirl scream mode*

I like the revelation of the new redhead female with the pigtails =D She's so pretty! I can't wait to find out more about her character :3 I suppose I'm going to have to buy a PS3 at some point >.>;

baboysai
January 21, 2008, 07:26 AM
:fangirl

:scry I want a PS3 now. I watched all the videos in youtube.
[hr]
are there sneak peeks on game play already?

Xophien
January 21, 2008, 08:37 AM
are there sneak peeks on game play already?

Besides that "it's so awesome I have a hard time believing it's real-time" fighting scene in the FFXIII video, I'm afraid not. And I'd bet we won't see anything more for the next six months >.>;

rai-chu
January 21, 2008, 08:40 AM
The future Final fantasy are going to be awesome, with that kind of graphics O_O

As of now i can't to buy a Ps3 at moment? I hope i could buy a ps3 just to play this game..

I'll also answer the questions as honestly as possible

) What's your favorite Final Fantasy game?
VI
2) Favorite character?
Wakka from X
3) Favorite villain?
Ultimecia from VIII
4) Favorite summon?
Bahamut
VIII
Probably a no LB on FFXII
.... (i'll answer this next time)
As of the moment ( I didn't play FF 1 and 3 so i can't answer this question)
Anything that involves Chocobo
Rikku, Penelo, Asche or Ultimecia LOL!!

LadyHatake
January 21, 2008, 11:54 AM
I got my GameInformer mag in the mail yesterday, and lo and behold:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/WolfwoodsScarf/SCAN0001.jpg

YAY.

And here's the full size scan, in a zipped folder (the image is 3.54 MB >.>;)

http://www.mediafire.com/?7m3bv33g3yx

=)

baboysai
January 21, 2008, 07:44 PM
Besides that "it's so awesome I have a hard time believing it's real-time" fighting scene in the FFXIII video, I'm afraid not. And I'd bet we won't see anything more for the next six months >.>;

OMG i feel the same way! I have a hard time imagining how the real-time fighting will go. More senses will be involved! ^^

juUnior
January 22, 2008, 10:33 AM
Quote: Originally Posted by Xophien

OMG i feel the same way! I have a hard time imagining how the real-time fighting will go. More senses will be involved! ^^
It's true? Wow. I can't imagine this as well :x

baboysai
January 22, 2008, 10:39 AM
I think there have been previews of the gameplay, though I can't make it out if it's really gameplay, or cinematics. And those videos have been on youtube for months, so who really knows. -_-

Are the graphics that good that I can't distinguish between the actual game and the FMVs? Since they announced the real-time fighting, that's where I got to suspecting what I was actually looking at could be the gameplay already. *weeps*

rykarreolacr
January 30, 2008, 12:00 AM
I'll be definitely buying both FF games, XIII and Versus for my PS3 as soon as they are out. I wonder if they will be released this year... Both games look fantastic!

Gold Knight
February 10, 2008, 09:17 PM
Well, even if XIII is going to continue the real-time battle systems that XII featured, I think they at least will improve on it somehow. While XII might not have lived up quite to the expectations it generated, I think it's likely the game developers at Square Enix learned from it and probably will deliver a better game this time around. Everything I've seen has been very positive. Here's to hoping that this one plays as great as it looks!

Of course I'm going to have to get a PS3 first, heh.

Versus also looks very good, too.

Gold Knight
February 10, 2008, 09:56 PM
Hmm, I haven't seen that yet.

Anyway, I finally got back to replaying FF XII and this time started over from the beginning, and I'm actually enjoying it better this time now that I know something of what to expect. I was able to level up my party better and just relax while doing it, and I finally got a better grasp of how to work the Quickenings this time too, finally.

I'm way ahead of where I was the last time.

My party's all almost at level 50 and currently at where they have to chase after Dr. Cid to the ancient city of Giruvegan. But I'm doing a lot of side quests and hunts right now. I just got killed last night for the time when I was hunting after Gilgamesh, after having beaten him the first time, in the Lhusu Mines, and ran into a nasty rare game monster, a zombie named Disma. Man, did he wipe out my party... >_<

I'm going to try to get around him next time instead of fighting him. Don't think I'm in his league yet. XD

I also started to like the summonings better too. This time I didn't really use the Espers so much for boss battles (where they were more useful in past games, I think) but in regular walk-arounds. They're very useful for dealing with monsters that you didn't really wanna bother with - it's like riding a chocobo around really, except the espers take out all the monsters for you while you just walk around, heh. I have 7 espers right now. By far my favorite is Adrammalech since he's flying around behind you, monsters can't touch him usually.

I agree that the license board needed some work. Definitely no individuality in the characters as far as the fighting is concerned. They probably should have just given each character a little bit of a bonus as far as their preferred weapons (Balthier for his guns for example.) That does take away from it some - and you don't really use some of the weapons at all, like rods and staffs - but at the moment I don't mind it too much.

Nantalith
February 19, 2008, 03:36 PM
FFX

2) Favorite character?
Squall

3) Favorite villain?
Sephiroth

4) Favorite summon?
Shiva

FFX

An un-junctioned boss battle in VIII. Punches do no damage.

Yuna's first sending.

I see sequels already - FFVII.

Annoying...

Rasler

D3M1URG3
March 31, 2008, 03:55 PM
1) What's your favorite Final Fantasy game? Final Fantasy VII

2) Favorite character? Basch

3) Favorite villain? Sephiroth

4) Favorite summon? Gilgamesh

5) Which game have you replayed the most? Final Fantasy VII

6) What was the toughest challenge you ever had in a FF game? Playing through Final Fantasy Tactics with only 3 characters.

7) What was your favorite clip in the games? When Aeris dies, enough said.

8) If you would like to see a sequel to any of the games, which would it be? Final Fantasy VII, hands down.

9) What side-game do you like the most? Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII

10) If you could date a FF character, who would it be? Haha... Umm....Yuffie.

Sasuke_Kai_92
April 04, 2008, 06:55 PM
FFXII is the best final fantasy game I think.
It has so many things in there..its unbelievable. All my characters apart from Panelo are level 99. ^_^ BASCH is the best!

BASCH Von ROSENBEURG!

Sasuke_Kai_92
April 04, 2008, 07:05 PM
The game was fairly easy. Probably because I train or just go anywhere and level up my characters. I didnt like the first demon wall. Once your character is X-Zoned, you cant get it back unless you go to a save crystal. Other then that, I got all the Espers, it was great :). Level 99 characters apart from Panelo, never liked her =.=.

Gold Knight
April 11, 2008, 06:57 PM
I finally finished the game. It was fun but definitely not one of these games I'd like to replay. Took waaaaaaaay too much of my time. 180 hours. Of course that's not nearly as much time as MH has taken of my time, but still... heh. All my characters were in their 60's level-wise and I had all the Espers and most of the Ultimate Weapons (passed up on the Tournesol though, too lazy) and I defeated every monster in the bestiary EXCEPT for Larva Eater (too annoying), Yiamzat and Omega Mark. I'll get to these two some other day when I'm in the mood.

And yes, the first Demon Wall sucked, lol.

AxelCross
April 14, 2008, 12:34 AM
Thought I'd drop by since I'm an FF addict.

Final Fantasy VII by a hair, next would be Final Fantasy VI. VII was the first game in which I literally got everything, and I still have that same file to screw around in from time to time. Level 100, every item, all weapons, the whole *ten* yards. Wonderful game, still captivates me to this day.

2) Favorite character?
Reno from Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. I know, it's a movie, but I can't pass it up. I didn't like him too much in VII, but in AC, he reminded me so much of my best friend and a little bit of myself. Screwy, zany, wants to be the knight in shining armor but really doesn't do jack shit in terms of helping out. Yet in the end, he does the little things that save the day, the things that no one else notices but still save the world in an indirect manner. Love him.

3) Favorite villain?
Kefka. He's wacky, he's funny...he's completely insane and scary as hell. He's also one of the only villains I've seen in a game that actually lives to see his evil plan come to fruition. It's only after the plan is laid out that the heroes save the day, but he succeeded. Alright...so I also love evil clowns as well. There.

4) Favorite summon?
Leviathan from Final Fantasy VIII. No specific reason, he just looks the coolest to me, as well as helping me out the most in that game. He's also the only one that I can get 200 (I think that's the max...or 250) boost on besides Eden.

Hmm...that's a tough one... I've replayed all of them at least 5 times, so I'm not too sure. But if I had to guess, it'd be Final Fantasy X, as that game is the most cinematic, so it's the easiest to play through, and it's also, for me, the shortest. I like the storyline a lot as well, so it's not as tough to go through the few parts that I don't like.

This sounds funny now, but back when I was first playing Final Fantasy VII, I didn't train at all, I just played through. So when I hit Demon's Gate, I had one hell of a time trying to defeat him. In fact, I had such a hard time that I deleted my file and started over. That laid the foundation for my pattern of playing RPGs for the rest of my life, as I now train at least 10 levels above what I think I should be at... I kicked his ass the second time I played the game. :tem

If Advent Children counts, then the scene in which Aerith and Zack turn away into "Heaven" (the white light) at the end of the movie. If not, then the space scene in Final Fantasy VIII where Squall and Rinoa are about to die. They then embrace one another and truly know that they love each other, it's very beautiful and the first scene in a game in which I got teary eyed (have yet to actually cry, ala tears running down cheecks).

This will probably be redundant by now... VII. Yes, even with Advent Children, I'd still like to see it come to fruition. In fact, I think I might settle with them even taking AC and converting it into a game. Obviously they'd have to add storyline elements and other battles, etc. But if they took the basic premise of that movie and used it as the core storyline, then built off of that, I wouldn't mind. But the world of FFVII lives on, and I'd like to let it live on my friggin' TV instead of in my head or writing/reading fan fiction. Now, I'm not talking about a half assed game like Dirge of Cerberus, but a full fledged, 50+ hour RPG (preferably with the VII battle system, Materia included).

Crisis Core. I finally played it (don't own it yet, don't have a PSP) at my friend's house and I absolutely love it. To be honest, I don't like the battle system all that much, but my God, it's so nice to live in that world again and become even more attached to the character's I love. I'll play all the way through it soon enough...B-day is on the 27th so maybe then!

:oh...:D I should have known....Hmm...Lulu. I'm a sucker for huge...belts. Yes, belts. Is that my only reason? Yes.

I just bought the Collector's Edition of Advent Children. Anyone else love that movie? I've heard that a few were disappointed, but those were people that had no idea what the series or that specific game was about. I love the movie so much, and not just because I'm an insane, rabid VII fanboy either. The music is amazing, cinematography is fantastic, especially for a group that has only worked on brief cinematic scenes in games, and the storyline, while nothing splendid, is enough to recapture the magic that the original had, save for some flare here and there. Oh yeah, and I'm replaying XII. I hate the storyline, but that's the one game besides VII and XI where I truly feel like I'm in that world and experiencing what the character's are. It's so vibrant and exciting, and the battle system is, to me, the greatest thing about the game. It's just enough so that it still feels "FF", but it's also an evolution. Wonderful. Sleepy time for me...I've talked enough...

ibra87
April 14, 2008, 10:13 AM
Fucking awesome post Axel! There are some parts where I don't agree with you, but the fact that your favorite villain is Kefka makes up for that.
And about AC, who cares if the storyline is weak(er than the game's) as long as there are big swords? Talking about big, why did they have to reduce Tifa's... belt?

AxelCross
April 14, 2008, 10:29 AM
Fucking awesome post Axel! There are some parts where I don't agree with you, but the fact that your favorite villain is Kefka makes up for that.
And about AC, who cares if the storyline is weak(er than the game's) as long as there are big swords? Talking about big, why did they have to reduce Tifa's... belt?

:tem Thanks! :D Oh I know, it's disappointing. The funny thing is, my friend and I were watching AC for the first time and his first comment was "Good Lord, Tifa's nipples are like razor blades. She's wearing leather and they're about to rip through!!". First, I just about died of laughter, after which we compared a cinematic clip (VII) of Tifa's...belts and the AC version and soon fell into dismay when we figured out they made them smaller, which is hilarious because they're still enormously humongously gigantic x 10.

segua
April 15, 2008, 05:47 AM
I still have to get a PS2 and buy that game. Last FF game I really played on PS2 was FFX-2. I've stopped about an hour into the game.

But it seems that the story if very interesting from what I gather from the in-game cut-scenes and such. But then that's the FF games for ya. Start off small and end up big. Well, in this case, it seems to start off big and end even bigger.

patedecarne
April 15, 2008, 07:04 AM
How can I missed this thread? LOL
I'll tell something to you, guys, Final Fantasy 12, I believe, has more sidequests than any other final fantasy I've played!

Unfortunately, I didn't enough time to complete all the quests, because I spent nearly 120 hours to finish it, and still couldn't do just a little sidequests; I wanted to fight eith Yaizmat, Omega, and others side, but with about 5 brand new games to play, there's no time to complete all...

but the story, though, is great! In many sites, I've seen some criticism about the storyline, but at least to me, the war and strategy factor embebed in the plot was great; I believe they manage to got the essence behind a war, the way that Vahn leads all the events remind me so much the 2 World War

patedecarne
April 15, 2008, 07:09 AM
Damn, I've only played a bit FF Crisis Core, and what a game! ig took perfectly the pace from the main storyline, and the battle system is really great..

FF 7 still has so much fuel to burn, believe me, and if(and when) a remake shows up, you'll see the greatest hit of all the times, hehe

Mendes
April 15, 2008, 12:13 PM
I didnt like the storyline... at least in comparison with some other FF's I played, and I havent played most of them. Still, ff 12 was the more addicting of'em all, mostly coz of the sidequests. I hunted every mark, except for the mighty Yazmat, neither I defeated Omega(mostly, coz I always get lost in cristal grande...), but I cleared Hell Wyrm (45 minutes of battle, was it? God!) and collected every Esper (Zodiark was a pain in the ass with that death-strike finisher of his) and Rare Game Trophy. I confess I used walkthroughs to find some of them, but you'd be a true hero if you clear that game 100% without using walkthroughs...

The only thing I hate in that game is the fishing side quest... probably the worse side quest ever, excluding most of the ones in FF X-2 (can't believe I actually managed to finish that game 99%)

Sasuke_Kai_92
April 15, 2008, 06:41 PM
Yeah, Yiazamat was annoying. Took me 2 hours to kill him, lucky I had the bubble belt and everything, and I had 2 zodiac spears as well :). I mangaed to do a fricken 47 Mist combo on him lol. Hard work XD

Nantalith
April 16, 2008, 08:19 AM
Axel: I agree with you an the AC front - I adore that movie. Unfortunatly I watched it before I played VII (shut up, my country is backward) so I sometimes battle with the graphics :darn

I hunger for a remake and for XIII Versus.

AxelCross
April 16, 2008, 10:24 AM
Axel: I agree with you an the AC front - I adore that movie. Unfortunatly I watched it before I played VII (shut up, my country is backward) so I sometimes battle with the graphics :darn

I hunger for a remake and for XIII Versus.

:p Don't worry, many of my friends entered into the VII realm with the entry of AC, then went back to play VII after they became addicted. I too want a remake...oh so bad. They'll make one, no doubt about that. The only question is when. My own view is that they will wait once the series loses a little bit of momentum and they have a bit of a break, that part is inevitable, it happens to every series. While Final Fantasy is usually an exception to almost any rule, this is one rule that is never lenient. So once that happens, they'll take their little secret weapon, their trump card, and throw that little gem out full force.

I'm expecting in the next 5-10 years. Sadly, that's not a terribly exaggerated estimation given the time it's taking to complete XIII and Versus XIII. Eh, we'l see...

baboysai
April 16, 2008, 10:27 AM
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26451.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/32365.html

you guys should see this. Totally bad-ass. Thanks again, xophy, for the link! :scry Tifa owns!

AxelCross
April 16, 2008, 10:34 AM
Holy...shit...Are you kidding me!? Oh. My. Gawd. That was the most amazing thing I have ever seen. Production out the window! I'm...(almost) speechless. That was so incredibly kick ass. Sexy, bad ass, production is top notch...I think I want these guys to make a full fledged CG movie. Now.

Xophien
April 16, 2008, 11:00 AM
First, it's not "these guys", it's this guy (http://montyoum.deviantart.com/). Yeah, as surprised as it may be, this is the work of a single man, though his level of skills barely makes him a human at this point^^; Second, there's gonna be at least 6 parts for this saga, maybe 7 if I am to believe new updates on his deviantart... That'd make it almost a full CG movie in the end :XD

AxelCross
April 16, 2008, 12:12 PM
First, it's not "these guys", it's this guy (http://montyoum.deviantart.com/). Yeah, as surprised as it may be, this is the work of a single man, though his level of skills barely makes him a human at this point^^; Second, there's gonna be at least 6 parts for this saga, maybe 7 if I am to believe new updates on his deviantart... That'd make it almost a full CG movie in the end :XD

Ah, thanks Xophy. Well holy hell, that's even more amazing. What talent! To say the very least. I got goosebumps throughout that entire thing (both), it was completely amazing. Hell, I'd rather go see something like that in theaters than half the "action" movies they have these days! ;)

patedecarne
April 16, 2008, 12:21 PM
Do you guys liked FF 8? I've seen so many criticism about it, but still 8 was one of my favorites; hearing Eyes on Me was just, great, and Laguna was one of my favorites characters, and not only that, but the game has some adult story, which I thought fits so well in the context...

igotthegoods
April 16, 2008, 12:25 PM

you guys should see this. Totally bad-ass. Thanks again, xophy, for the link! :scry Tifa owns!

whoa, so awesome! barely human is right :wtf

Gold Knight
April 16, 2008, 12:55 PM
I do like FF8. Better than FF7 actually.

These Dead Fantasy trailers were amazing by the way. Certainly very well done.

Mendes
April 16, 2008, 01:33 PM
2 Zodiac Spears? I re-started the game some time ago in order to get the Zodiac spear coz I had already opened some of the treasure chests that supposedly took me the chance of acquiring the ultimate weapon of the game ( who wouldnt open a treasure chest? I hate these kind of restrictions in a game...). Now you tell me you have 2! LoL.... how come? I thought it was unique and found in the Necrohol of Nabudis :O

Sasuke_Kai_92
April 16, 2008, 04:56 PM
This was by luck that I got the second zodiac Spear. You can find the sexond Zodiac Spear in Henne Mines, where there is a chest in the Phase 2 Dig part of the map. There is a 10-15% chance that if you open it, you will get the zodiac spear. With me, I opened it once and got it lol. I was like..what the hell? Iv already got one :|. Then I tried to get another one but it doesnt work. :)

Mendes
April 16, 2008, 06:42 PM
:O I like it! *turns ps2 on* Thanks^^

AxelCross
April 17, 2008, 12:24 AM
Do you guys liked FF 8? I've seen so many criticism about it, but still 8 was one of my favorites; hearing Eyes on Me was just, great, and Laguna was one of my favorites characters, and not only that, but the game has some adult story, which I thought fits so well in the context...

Definitely, I love it. Definitely the most underrated Final Fantasy game, right next to IX. It's my favorite story, Laguna is amazing, Squall and Rinoa had so much depth and originality to them, the whole epic scale of the plot was great. While it was slightly cliched, it's ten fold better than anything I've played in recent years, save for FFX, which came close, but that was still a while back.

Nantalith
April 17, 2008, 02:29 AM

Holy. Hell. Alchemist. :blink

I also like VIII because I like Squall. But I think many don't like it because it followed VII. And VII is so fantastic that VIII was a let down for some. I view each game as a unit and rate it on it's own merrits. X is my favourite though... and I cry (tears down my face) every time I see the end. But I LOVE the gameplay of XII and I like the gambits. As soon as I can find IX, I'm buying it.

AxelCross
April 17, 2008, 07:27 AM
Holy. Hell. Alchemist. :blink

I also like VIII because I like Squall. But I think many don't like it because it followed VII. And VII is so fantastic that VIII was a let down for some. I view each game as a unit and rate it on it's own merrits. X is my favourite though... and I cry (tears down my face) every time I see the end. But I LOVE the gameplay of XII and I like the gambits. As soon as I can find IX, I'm buying it.

Ah, you really should. It's such an amazing game. It's old school in it's execution, but adds subtle elements that make it feel like a fresh, new Final Fantasy game, it's really wonderful. The characters are some of the most memorable out of any FF game to date, the music is, as usual, wonderful, and most of all the storyline is just as emotional and involved as X, even without the voice acting. Highly underrated game.

Nantalith
April 17, 2008, 07:35 AM
I've heard so but I've been very careful to not read anything related to the story so that when I do find it, it will be completely new and exciting.

I've also heard it's similar in genre to FFI - I loved FFI so I'm in much anticipation.

patedecarne
April 17, 2008, 10:02 AM
Hey, Sasuke! it's not 10, 15% of chances to obtain a zodiac spear! it's 1 in 1000!!

Mendes, good luck to you to achieve the spear!

the formula is:

you have 10% of chance to find a chest in the specific part of Henne Mines, and if the chest appears, you have about other 10% of chance to find a item; and if a item appears, you have more 10% of chances to find the Zodiac spear!

10% X 10% X 10% = 1/1000!!!

I never got this spear, damn, you're so luck, Sasuke_kai!

Mendes
April 17, 2008, 10:31 AM
Sasuke_kai is cheater loool its impossible! Dude how lucky can you be? Still, 0.1% of odds seem exaggerating. It's probably something like 1% or so, i guess...

EvilGenious
April 17, 2008, 10:32 AM
I have the game, but I'm not even an hour into it yet (darn school and work!). I have heard that it would take a long time to complete the game (100+ hours). Any recommendations on what I should have my characters learn?

Gold Knight
April 17, 2008, 10:41 AM
There's actually, I believe, 3 Zodiac Spears that you can find in one game. Somebody claimed that on youtube somewhere. But it's so hard I doubt it's worth trying... I think doing everything possible in FF XII just serves to burn you out a bit from it all. I think they just made it too annoying to find everything, maybe. Now if everything was a little more fun instead of just plain tedious, I'd be all cool with how long it took to, for example, find the Larva Eater.

But bleh, you know how you get too lazy to do something? I never felt that way in a RPG or any other game until I played FF XII. LoL. I'm usually a completist but not with that game, I guess. Well, I guess I came close to it anyway!

I have the game, but I'm not even an hour into it yet (darn school and work!). I have heard that it would take a long time to complete the game (100+ hours). Any recommendations on what I should have my characters learn?

All the characters learn the same thing basically. That's one of the flaws of the game, they're all carbon copies of each other as far as skills and stuff like that, except for Espers. They're only unique as far as their dialogue in the actual story. So don't worry about that.

You can actually complete the game in under 100 hours easily, its the sidequests and everything else around the storyline that takes you far longer than that. I think the average is 160 hours for somebody who wants to do everything in FF XII.

[hr]

The thing to really hunt for are helpful items and weapons and armor and all that, really. Some accessories are really valuable - equipping Nihopalaoa, for example, and then using a Remedy on a monster, is the equivalent of doing a 'Bad Breath' attack on them - inflicts all kinds of negative status effects. Works on even bosses a lot of times. When I found out about that, it made a lot of battles much more easier for me to do early in the game. Stuff like that are useful to know.

Later in the game, you'll want to learn how to use Lure and use it on your tank so that you don't have so many of your guys hurt. Reverse is supposed to be very nice too because it reverts damage into healing but I never really could get the knack of it (it goes away when the Reversed character does something, I think.)

Oh, and try to get some of your Quickenings early on.

Gold Knight
April 17, 2008, 10:45 AM
If you want something like FFI, I recommend getting FF Anthology and playing FF5 and FF6 (or play them however you can get them, whatever works.) FF4 is good too.

FF IX is fun and all but it didn't really capture the same feeling as the first game for me. It's just taking from the same sources is all. Sure, Vivi looks like a black mage but that's it, lol.

ibra87
April 17, 2008, 10:48 AM
If you want something like FFI, I recommend getting FF Anthology and playing FF5 and FF6 (or play them however you can get them, whatever works.) FF4 is good too.

FF IX is fun and all but it didn't really capture the same feeling as the first game for me. It's just taking from the same sources is all. Sure, Vivi looks like a black mage but that's it, lol.
Yeah, when remembering FF8 or FF7 I recall having a good time, those games were a really good experience. Good story and fun gameplay. But FF9 didn't really have any depth to it, to be honest.
(And I got really annoyed when you had to rename Garnet to Dagger (not have, but as a part of the story). <.<)

Gold Knight
April 17, 2008, 10:53 AM
While I think FF IX was kind of a step backwards, they did have pretty cool cutscenes regardless. You'll still have fun with it Nantalith, just don't get your hopes too high.

Nantalith
April 17, 2008, 10:54 AM

FF Anthology?

Mendes
April 17, 2008, 01:32 PM
I didnt know about the Reverse-Remedy combo... very nice. Against bosses I usually use reverse and decoy on the same character as a 1st priority gambit, so that character gets hit by every enemy and heals instead of taking damage. The reverse effect only work for a few seconds tough

admirenkiwi
April 17, 2008, 05:53 PM
ehh, i have the games.
played for a bit of each then quit...never finished any.
the story makes me sad. its...very lonely.
i LOVE the artwork though. always.
favorite chars whould be (cloud)(vincent)(zack)(auron)(reno)(sephiroth)
i wouldnt say i like spells.
and if i dated anyone, it'll be all the guys i named on my fav chars :D

Gold Knight
April 18, 2008, 02:16 AM
FF Anthology?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Anthology

They re-released FF5 and FF6 for the PS1 - that's what I have, since I pawned/lost my SNES and all my SNES games some time before that (ugh, the days of being a starving college student, lol.)

AxelCross
April 18, 2008, 02:25 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Anthology

They re-released FF5 and FF6 for the PS1 - that's what I have, since I pawned/lost my SNES and all my SNES games some time before that (ugh, the days of being a starving college student, lol.)

:( Tell me about it... If I had kept all of my games/systems that I sold, I'd be in the top 20 at least for most bad ass collections in the universe. I had so many neat little classics and rarities, as well as the big timers like, oh, I don't know, every friggin' Final Fantasy game released in its original format. But no, I was stupid "Hey, PS is coming out, let's pawn everything!" *time skip* "Hey, PS2 is coming out, let's pawn everything!"

I hate myself. I'm such a video game abuser...those poor lost souls...:mad

patedecarne
April 18, 2008, 03:46 PM
Some time ago I sold my copy of Final Fantasy 5 Japanese for Famicom... Sure I'm a retarded one, hehe, but I was just a kid, and in that time I didn't understood Japanese very well...

Which music do you guys think is the better?
I'm with Eyes on Me, the first singed music, and it was so romantic...

Sasuke_Kai_92
April 19, 2008, 07:28 AM
Well, hey? :p There has to be a very very few people to get the second zodiac spear lol. But there is one thing that I still can't do, how do you summon Dustia? Now, that is imposbbile because how can you attack yourself? Because when I finished the game...I heard that if you are beginner you can reach level 30 in 2 hours by summoning Dustia and using a Pheonix Down on him. :|

Im gonna start to play the FF X and FFx-2. See if they are good as this one ^_^

KyanWan
April 22, 2008, 12:48 AM
8 - in my opinion - got a bad rap only because it got rid of the equipment system - and added weird upgrading & parts collecting.

IMO - the game has a huge amount more depth than many of the other titles. True too - the character development of Squall is a masterpiece. Too bad we haven't seen much else that ranks in the same league of the FF's with a real storyline (read: Not released for the PS2 or mainstream audiences. )

6 - is my all-time favorite, followed by 8.

But if you want to go all-out hardcore -

FF5 - jobs system OMG! So that's where Tactics got that from (3 actually, but whatever)! *drool*

Seriously too-bad that the 2D ones aren't remade into eye-candy ... with a storyline. Even a remake of those oldies would be better than 99% of the crap released for consoles today.

---

For my FF "vitals":

1) FF6 owns all. If you like 7 - you haven't played a real FF title yet.
2) When you've played as many as I have, you don't have a favorite character. See below:

Black belt/master - try em barehanded - FF1
FF2/3 - Didn't play (much)
Rydia - Poor girl ... she took having Cecil killing her parents so well - FF4
Faris! - Cuz she's a pirate! YARR! - FF5
Gogo - What can't you love about the guy who was EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER IN THE GAME? - FF6
Cid - Pure badass. - FF7
Quistis - Sure, call me a Treppie. Plus, she's got a whip - and those boots ... ahhh! :imslow. FF8,
Freya - She was pwncore - coolest rat you'll ever see. FF9
FF10 - None of the above.
FF11 - LOL!
FF12 - Never touched it.
Agrias - Gotta love her holy knight attacks. FFT
Viera Assassin - Fairy shoes + Masamune 100 = the coolest 1 hit kills you'll ever see. FFT-Advance

Though if you forced me to pick ... I'd need to say Quistis. Those boots ... boots ... :)

3) Kefka - FF6. Gotta respect.
4) Diablos - FF8
5) FFTactics, FFTAdvance. FF6 - I had a full set of economizers for my entire all-L99 team - all picked off Brachosaurs. You go figure out how long that took to do. It was so bad - I could finish final Kefka with a single person. I even leveled Umaro. XD
6) Getting through the ice cave for the first time on original FF on the NES - without LIFE - and - as a noob. ( Aww man ... )
7) What? Clips? What's that? Real FF didn't have clips. ;) But -hmm- *thinks thinks thinks* something wtih Rinoa or Quistis.
8) Final Fantasy 6 with modern graphics. Seriously ... needs ... to ... be ... done ... like last year.
9) FF Tactics. Honestly, is there a better FF-realm uber-long-gameplay game out there? Hell no. Half-hour-long battles FTW!
10) I don't think about this kind of stuff anymore, but - Quistis man - Squall's a blind ass dumbass WTF's his problem.

ibra87
April 22, 2008, 04:30 PM
Well, a remake of FFVI for PS3 (the PS2 era is over for Square) is highly unlikely, if anything we'll be lucky to have a FF7 remake, perhaps in the far future. But they've already remade III for DS and after its succes IV (which in case you haven't seen, is awesome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtfzQ379Gak&feature=related)). If the selling of IV goes as well as III (or even better) we might be lucky to see V and if that one sells well too, we're most likely to see VI :nuts
Just look at how much better VI was than IV (story- and graphic wise) and see what they've done to IV, now imagine what would happen IF they remade VI... no doubt it'll be epic.

Jeral
April 23, 2008, 04:43 PM
FFX is my favorite of all. To me, it had everything you could ever want. Plus, Lulu was nothing short of awesome and lovely.

KyanWan
April 28, 2008, 01:18 PM
Well, a remake of FFVI for PS3 (the PS2 era is over for Square) is highly unlikely, if anything we'll be lucky to have a FF7 remake, perhaps in the far future. But they've already remade III for DS and after its succes IV (which in case you haven't seen, is awesome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtfzQ379Gak&feature=related)). If the selling of IV goes as well as III (or even better) we might be lucky to see V and if that one sells well too, we're most likely to see VI :nuts
Just look at how much better VI was than IV (story- and graphic wise) and see what they've done to IV, now imagine what would happen IF they remade VI... no doubt it'll be epic.

T_T

I missed that completely.

I seriously got to go out and grab 4/DS.

I've got the remakes of 1/2,4 / GBA, and 3 / DS - been meaning to pick up 5,6 GBA

vintagemistakes
May 08, 2008, 11:51 PM
Im gonna start to play the FF X and FFx-2. See if they are good as this one ^_^

FFX is simply amazing... I can't really say anything else about it other then its amazing.

FFX-2 was OK... it had its good points and its bad points... one of the things I liked about it was after you beat it you could replay it with all of the equipment and stuff you gained the first time around. It makes playing through it so much easier/faster. The bad is well... it just seems like an update... a lot changes but it seems like they just released it to make money. you can miss a lot of the game(as in getting 100% completion) just by not going to certain areas a number of times... probably why they made the replay feature. Its an OK game jsut not as amazing as FFX... did I mention that FFX is amazing.. cause it really is amazing.

SoulReaporKoul
June 18, 2008, 07:18 PM
FFX is my favorite of all. To me, it had everything you could ever want. Plus, Lulu was nothing short of awesome and lovely.

Yuna wasn't too bad on the eyes either :kkthumbs . And Auron was just badass.

LadyHatake
June 18, 2008, 07:28 PM
Just an update, but they've suspended development of FFXIII Versus for now. The team doing Versus is now working with the XIII team to get more work done on it. So yay for more delays~