PDA

View Full Version : Is Fairy Tail Going Downhill?

digit03
July 25, 2010, 12:36 PM
is it just me or is fairy tail really going down..personally i think in the beginning it was way better than how it is now, but thats how it seems some anime/manga are (bleach).
i think its going down mainly because of most characters powers..some dont just make sense!..i was watching the anime some days ago and that owl in the gerrard arc was just stupid.it might have been made to be funny but seriously hes supposed to be some strong guy.
mainly why i hate their powers is because u cant really size them up,(that stupid owl, the guy some chapters before now that controlled that amusement park who fought against natsu) even natsu himself he keeps getting stronger and stronger and stronger at least pull the cliche manga stuff and have him train or something.
i donno maybe someone can vouch for it but its getting silly
and finally they should cut back on the crying they do that in almost all chapters!

Sollum
July 25, 2010, 01:04 PM
Yo man,

I dont watch Anime and dont advise anyone to do so... its just somehow spoils all the fun.

And about those Natsu "power boosts" well i dont see anything wrong here, i mean, he killed so many enemies, its OK that he leveled up and learned new abilities

ghostexiled
July 25, 2010, 01:09 PM
I will warn just once... for this thread has a great chance for flame/bash. If it happens it will be deleted.

Please remember to only post if you have something "Constructive" to say.

digit03
July 25, 2010, 01:33 PM
i think mangas like this that have characters like natsu who can use fire or water and stuff have to come up with something inventive to make them get stronger. i mean it will be hard 4 them to think of ideas. natsu can use fire how can he possibly get stronger because he will obviously have stronger opponents after time..the only thing he can do is use a differnt type of fire and that will get old...his fighting almost to death and winning is also getting old.
another thing is that recent erza vs erza fight..edoras erza was just reciting names of moves that we have no idea of. wut they should do for characters like that is to give them a base of some sort of their powers so that we readers can understand wut is happenin

Unlucky Boy
July 25, 2010, 02:01 PM
edoras erza was just reciting names of moves that we have no idea of. wut they should do for characters like that is to give them a base of some sort of their powers so that we readers can understand wut is happenin

Her moves should be familiar to those who read Rave.

jacke12
July 25, 2010, 03:02 PM
if you don't like it anymore don't read it. Is it that hard

digit03
July 25, 2010, 03:53 PM

lol i should, shouldnt i?..but still i kinda liked it in the beginning and im still hoping it gets better im just venting my frustration and trying to find ou other ppls opinions

Razeus
July 25, 2010, 03:53 PM
I feel all mangas have that downward trend I mean coming up with consent stories will be taxing on the brain and such if you feel that it will continue to go downhill either stop reading it or wait awhile for a good arc. The edolas arc has it's hits and misses.

MAX_COLA_POWER!
July 25, 2010, 08:27 PM
I can understand that to some people, FT may have gone bad. I think it's because there's no character focus. For example, when Wendy and Charle joined, we instantaneously skipped to the Edoras arc. Or when we were introduced to the Edo-Fairy Tail, there's no backstory on how they were before Knightwalker and his army arrived, for example. The change of setting is nice, but since they don't focus on certain characters outside of team Natsu, that could be a turn off. Other than that, I'd have to politely agree. If you don't like the manga anymore, I think it's best to not read it^^;;.

Baka_Sousui
July 25, 2010, 09:28 PM
To be honest I haven't really watch much anime anymore. They make me sad. Two series i still like are Fairy tail and One piece. But all these recent One Piece flash backs are killing me. I've lost my hype for Naruto. Bleach started off slow for me too. I practically skipped most of the beginning and started watching where the action was. Now bleach for me is back to where it started. Painful.

ndulzky
July 26, 2010, 03:12 AM
Hmm... For me personally, I don't think the manga is going downhill at all... I like all the arcs so far. Seems to me like each arc tries to give us some kind of background of the characters. For example, the Galuna island was Gray's, the Phantom's arc tells a little bit about Lucy, Mirajane, Elfman and Lissana, then Erza's childhood was told on the whole Gerard ordeal, etc... The current arc gives us Happy's origins, and Mistgun's as well. I think there are still a lot more in store for us in this manga, and I like how these arcs give us bits and pieces of the characters information. Yes... I'm pretty sure more serious plot is coming, since we haven't heard about the dragons and how/why they disappear yet again.

I agree with Razeus that this current arc has its hits and misses. In fact, maybe all of the arcs have their own hits and misses, but I think that is acceptable in every manga or anime. It won't be easy to come up with a story line that will satisfy everybody, knowing that people's tastes vary... I may like what you don't like, and vice versa.

Speaking of the anime, I've watched about 20 episodes so far, and in my opinion, Fairy Tail anime is much better suited for me as compared to other animes that I've watched. I think the anime follows the manga very closely and has a pretty good pace. Naruto's pace is way too slow and there are too many fillers; Tsubasa Chronicle anime doesn't do justice to its manga, etc... These are only my opinion and other people may not agree with me... so I think, as some people have mentioned, if you think you start to not like the stories, just don't read/watch them anymore, or maybe wait until there's an arc that you find interesting and then read/watch it again. :)

elitefox
July 26, 2010, 04:43 AM
Well the current edoras arc is boring to me... but I like the previous arcs without complain. I guess this is the ups and downs... though I won't deny that it is not worthwhile for me to reread the pages unlike one piece and naruto.

The only thing that is holding me to this series is Erza, some of Natsu, makorov and Gray :D

It's kinda obvious :D

scareChinaman
July 26, 2010, 09:12 AM
Personally I think this arc wasn't as good as the Luxus arc but it wasn't as bad as the OS.
Fairy Tail is a great manga if your basing your opinion of it off of the anime and how you view the mages powers' then thats not really a good way to judge a series.

Fairy Tail has a great deal of story it has not addressed yet and their are quite a few villains that have not been dealt with yet.

MechR
July 26, 2010, 03:26 PM
It's been going downhill since at least the end of Fantasia. ToP had its issues, but "using up" Erza and Siegrain gave it alot of momentum. Fantasia was good, but ruined by the conclusion. Nirvana was still broadly good, but marred by multiple stupid moments and blatant signs of poor planning (see: Nirvana going from 8 legs to 6 legs when the exact number suddenly became plot-relevant). And the Edoras arc has just been a writing trainwreck (with very pretty explosions toward the end, but still). It's like with each arc, Mashima's giving less and less of a crap about even trying to write well. I really hope what happened with Edoras makes him consider planning future arcs a bit better, since the "make it up as you go" thing hasn't been working for over a year, but I'm scared and demoralized.

For the future, we appear to have rescue arcs lined up for Luxus and Gerard, neither of whom are the most endearing of hostages. The Luxus rescue could still be great though, if Mashima plays his cards right (hah!), since Gazille, Gildartz, and the Raijinshuu could all play a big role. For the Gerard rescue, OTOH, Gerard really hasn't done enough redeeming to be worthy of triggering the long-foreshadowed conflict between FT and the Council. I'm very afraid that Mashima's going to make Erza do something stupid again just to move the plot how he wants, even though she'd never drag FT into things intentionally. To a lesser extent, I'm also worried he's going to use the remaining Holy Mages as minibosses for that arc, which would really water them down. But we'll see how it goes...

It sucks to lose confidence in a writer. I end up worrying about all the ways the story might go wrong, instead of looking forward to things. Mashima seems pretty lax about his planning in Afterwords and interviews, so I'm not sure he understands just how damaging this can be to a reader's enjoyment :(

elitefox
July 26, 2010, 09:08 PM
It's been going downhill since at least the end of Fantasia. ToP had its issues, but "using up" Erza and Siegrain gave it alot of momentum. Fantasia was good, but ruined by the conclusion. Nirvana was still broadly good, but marred by multiple stupid moments and blatant signs of poor planning (see: Nirvana going from 8 legs to 6 legs when the exact number suddenly became plot-relevant). And the Edoras arc has just been a writing trainwreck (with very pretty explosions toward the end, but still). It's like with each arc, Mashima's giving less and less of a crap about even trying to write well. I really hope what happened with Edoras makes him consider planning future arcs a bit better, since the "make it up as you go" thing hasn't been working for over a year, but I'm scared and demoralized.

For the future, we appear to have rescue arcs lined up for Luxus and Gerard, neither of whom are the most endearing of hostages. The Luxus rescue could still be great though, if Mashima plays his cards right (hah!), since Gazille, Gildartz, and the Raijinshuu could all play a big role. For the Gerard rescue, OTOH, Gerard really hasn't done enough redeeming to be worthy of triggering the long-foreshadowed conflict between FT and the Council. I'm very afraid that Mashima's going to make Erza do something stupid again just to move the plot how he wants, even though she'd never drag FT into things intentionally. To a lesser extent, I'm also worried he's going to use the remaining Holy Mages as minibosses for that arc, which would really water them down. But we'll see how it goes...

It sucks to lose confidence in a writer. I end up worrying about all the ways the story might go wrong, instead of looking forward to things. Mashima seems pretty lax about his planning in Afterwords and interviews, so I'm not sure he understands just how damaging this can be to a reader's enjoyment :(

If Erza does something stupid... Natsu will always be there for her:D:amuse:)

Erza saving his onee-chan is fine as long as Natsu gets the final take :D
sorry kinda heavy, but I made the point I guess:eyeroll
http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr159/emannonil/Signs/FairyTail_Natsu_saved_Erza_xD.jpg

p1xel
July 27, 2010, 05:08 AM
I mean,its truth that its all about crying,thats why i don`t have any emotions when I read it...just too much without a good purpose.I thought that its boring only me,and the weirdest thing is that FT popularity is still raising.Anyway,i`ll keep reading maybe something better will be after this arc,or this will just become a 2nd BLEACH:/

ca12nag3
July 27, 2010, 05:23 PM
Maybe a stupid idea, but might it be that Mashima is speeding up and leaving gaps so the anime can fill it in? Like a bit of everyday life for Edoras FT.

And i myself am not the biggest fan of this arc. But i dont grow impatient with the overall story. (every series has its boring arc)

Like i totaly like dragonball sometimes i still watch eps of it or read some. But the entire space arc with Krillin,Gohan+Bulma could be cut out tbh, (always skip to Goku and Vegeta training lol).
But after that it got better.

I have my hopes that the story will be more to my liking after this arc. So i dont give up ;)

ShinD
July 30, 2010, 09:48 AM
I was a bit disapointed about this arc, not really about its quality overall, but because I really thaught that it would have been more centred on Dragon slayers when everyone but them were gone to Edoria.

I hope the next one will bring the main plot (dragon slayers/Zeref) ahead, and that we'll see more of Gildartz. :)

The Don Master T
July 30, 2010, 12:15 PM
is it just me or is fairy tail really going down..personally i think in the beginning it was way better than how it is now, but thats how it seems some anime/manga are (bleach).
i think its going down mainly because of most characters powers..some dont just make sense!..i was watching the anime some days ago and that owl in the gerrard arc was just stupid.it might have been made to be funny but seriously hes supposed to be some strong guy.
mainly why i hate their powers is because u cant really size them up,(that stupid owl, the guy some chapters before now that controlled that amusement park who fought against natsu) even natsu himself he keeps getting stronger and stronger and stronger at least pull the cliche manga stuff and have him train or something.
and finally they should cut back on the crying they do that in almost all chapters!you sir are what i call an over thinking idiot fairy tail is still in it early stages so the enemies right now won't look all that strong compared to the enemies in the future and to say the power don't make sense do they ever fairy tail does not need training arcs or to show them training it is similar to one piece in the fact that the hero's get stronger by the battle finding new way's to power up or use their power all the people in fairy tail have a unique power the dragon slayer magic is one of the most powerful magic in the series so far and natsu is the lead hero with that ability so he is the one who challenges the other powerful mages that is not hard to understand sure there are others with this power as well (gazille and wendy) but natsu was the first character to be introduced with it and takes the same role as luffy in one piece been a tough out for anyone so what is so complication about this?

hongoasdf
July 30, 2010, 04:08 PM
you sir are what i call an over thinking idiot fairy tail is still in it early stages so the enemies right now won't look all that strong compared to the enemies in the future and to say the power don't make sense do they ever fairy tail does not need training arcs or to show them training it is similar to one piece in the fact that the hero's get stronger by the battle finding new way's to power up or use their power all the people in fairy tail have a unique power the dragon slayer magic is one of the most powerful magic in the series so far and natsu is the lead hero with that ability so he is the one who challenges the other powerful mages that is not hard to understand sure there are others with this power as well (gazille and wendy) but natsu was the first character to be introduced with it and takes the same role as luffy in one piece been a tough out for anyone so what is so complication about this?

I disagree. If you compare it to One Piece, for instance, almost every manga is in its early stages. Mashima's writing style is different from Oda's, too. And so is his passion for his work.

When you read an interview to Oda, you can tell he loves his work. Understandable, since One Piece is his masterpiece. Is is only natural it's been serialized for as long as it has been. And it's only natural it will last for as long is it will last.

Mashima, on the other hand is... how should I put it... less enthusiastic (For lack of a better term). He seems to be doing Fairy Tail just to pass time. Rave was his masterpiece, and the work he was devoted to. And even then it didn't get to 300 chapters. He writes in a way that makes the story advance much more quickly, so the plot is finished relatively fast. Now, it's true that Fairy Tail has become a lot more popular than Rave ever was (Quite frankly, I didn't know about Rave untill I checked Mashima's previous work, after I got hooked on Fairy Tail), and its setting has many interesting elements that make it capable of having a lot of stories. But in my opinion, Mashima will get bored of Fairy Tail before it reaches the 300th chapter. It may last a little bit longer than that, if he is pressured by its popularity. But I don't see it getting that far. Look at the quality of the last couple of arcs; While they have been slightly enjoyable, they were no-where near the Phantom Lord arc, what I consider to be this manga's best. It was not enjoyable. It was fantastic.

Now, don't get me wrong - I love Fairy Tail. I've been reading it since there were 15 chapters out in Japan, and I would keep on reading it even if Mashima went crazy and decided to start killing characters in ridiculous ways. It got me started on reading manga, after all. But honsetly, even I can tell this series has only got another 2 more years left, at most. I would be glad to be proved wrong, of course. I suppose we'll see in due time.

By the way, you should try using punctuation marks every once in a while. They make reading so much easier.

The Don Master T
August 01, 2010, 05:03 PM
I disagree. If you compare it to One Piece, for instance, almost every manga is in its early stages. Mashima's writing style is different from Oda's, too. And so is his passion for his work.

When you read an interview to Oda, you can tell he loves his work. Understandable, since One Piece is his masterpiece. Is is only natural it's been serialized for as long as it has been. And it's only natural it will last for as long is it will last.

Mashima, on the other hand is... how should I put it... less enthusiastic (For lack of a better term). He seems to be doing Fairy Tail just to pass time. Rave was his masterpiece, and the work he was devoted to. And even then it didn't get to 300 chapters. He writes in a way that makes the story advance much more quickly, so the plot is finished relatively fast. Now, it's true that Fairy Tail has become a lot more popular than Rave ever was (Quite frankly, I didn't know about Rave untill I checked Mashima's previous work, after I got hooked on Fairy Tail), and its setting has many interesting elements that make it capable of having a lot of stories. But in my opinion, Mashima will get bored of Fairy Tail before it reaches the 300th chapter. It may last a little bit longer than that, if he is pressured by its popularity. But I don't see it getting that far. Look at the quality of the last couple of arcs; While they have been slightly enjoyable, they were no-where near the Phantom Lord arc, what I consider to be this manga's best. It was not enjoyable. It was fantastic.

Now, don't get me wrong - I love Fairy Tail. I've been reading it since there were 15 chapters out in Japan, and I would keep on reading it even if Mashima went crazy and decided to start killing characters in ridiculous ways. It got me started on reading manga, after all. But honsetly, even I can tell this series has only got another 2 more years left, at most. I would be glad to be proved wrong, of course. I suppose we'll see in due time.

By the way, you should try using punctuation marks every once in a while. They make reading so much easier.I got to give you credit most people would have had all type of out of name comments agianst me for just the way I started my debut which shows me you have more patients and intelligence then alot of people why spam threads like this one (not counting you) and yes I'm by no means and english major but I atleast try to spell most of my words right lol

ca12nag3
August 02, 2010, 09:33 AM

By the way, you should try using punctuation marks every once in a while. They make reading so much easier.

So this got you started on reading manga? Your first one then? Well to be able to judge Mashima from beind a comp miles away is kinda impressive. To say Rave was his masterpiece while he didnt even stop yet.
Ill stop the rant there and get to the points at hand.

Writing styl differs per artist and also the skill to make a good story. And also to sugest he rushes things cause he gets bored? He left clear hints in earlier chapters of things that will happen in the near future so he plans ahead. Instead of just going with whatever he feels like would be funny. Some examples?

Happy's origin.
Natsus quest for his father.
the dorment powers of Elfman and Mirajane
Uls death, Ultears involvment with Zeref and Grey in all this.
Gildarts return and him encountering a black dragon.
Erza and Gerard their entire story.
Lucys moms death and the disapearance of the dragons (same date)

All this is ongoing atm and Mashima adds to it whenever he can. True a lot of ideas come from Rave and got put into Fairy Tail.

Where im going is that everything is mostly planned ahead and not all arcs will have the same apeal to the public. Cant judge a series before its done yet realy. Any atempt to say FT is going downhill is a laughing matter cause its bassed on a opinion over a currently running arc and perhaps a arc before that a person doesnt like.

So this will be my last entry in this (should be) ignored thread.

scareChinaman
August 02, 2010, 09:53 AM
Well seeing as Fairy Tail is already infinitely more popular than Rave ever was or hoped to be. Comparing it to Rave is just going to seem odd since its the more popular series.
Rave is also a great deal shorter than Fairy Tail and seemed like Mashima was happy with ending that story where it was.

Lyn685
August 09, 2010, 01:29 PM
I liked Fairy Tail once.
But with every new arc, especially the last one and the new Edoras Arc, I realised how bad Fairy Tail is.
The reasons are:

Natsu is a way to cliché Hero. Hes a dim-witted wannabe-badass that can still fight with full power alltough he was halfdead some minutes ago and wasted all his magical resources. But whats really annoying about him are his speeches about how his nakamas are his power and such although his friends aren´t doing one bit.
And that happens nearly in every arc. He hasn´t changed one bit since the beginning and is now boring, while being annoying. He also makes nearly every serious scene ludicrous.

Happy: A flying cat whos people are rumored to be higher beings or some sh*t like that, but it turns out his folk are useless weaklings that just pretended to be higher beings... HOW does that work ANYWAY?
Oh yeah, Happy cried alot lately in the new arc.

Lucy Heartphilia: Shes here for the (mostly annoying) humor and the fanservice. She also cries alot and is moved by every wannabe-charming scene.
Hasn´t changed since the beginning.

Gray: Some dude who could be cool, but isn´t due to standing in Natsus Shadow.

Erza: A wannabe tough girl that cries alot and is moved by every supposed to be charming scene. Shes also victim of Mashimas foot-fetish and other fanservice.

Lucy: Loli who cries alot and is moved by every one of Mashimas genius moving scenes.

That other cat: Cries alot and is moved by.... well you know.

Also:

Too many characters! Most of them are completely useless and just take Screentime from the characters who really need it.

Weird character designs! Especially the new Villains nearly all looked ridiculous. I couldn´t take them seriously. The only one who can make ugly characters work is Oda.

Nearly no story-development, that shows you, that there is an end to this manga.
The information about Zeref, the dragons, the dark guilds who are really important to the story is ridiculously small, and tiny bits of information only appear between the arcs or are slightly mentioned in one of them.

Conclusion: Fairy Tail suffers under some of the lamest and most obvious characters I ever saw in a manga, under nearly no progression, lots of annoying melodrama, a gigantic amount of badly explained deus ex machinas and so on.

But I still read it. Mabe its just routine, or I´m hoping for the impossible.

Katea
August 09, 2010, 01:46 PM
@Lyn685: LOL I agree with you in many aspects XD There is really little character development in FT, and when there is, it's all about "friendsship" and "omg my friends here in the guild are my all-and-everything!". It was like that when we got to see more of Erza's character in the Tower of Paradise arc.

And one more thing which is a bit annoying is that there are no power measures in Fairy Tail. People start to get wonderous power-ups from thoughts alone, like when you're beaten up half to death, you can miracliously stand up yet AGAIN just because... you can hear your other nakama's voices (<- I think the chapter I'm refering too should be obvious) D: And the part where Erza beats that girl in the Tower of Paradise who was a lot stronger than her when she was in armor is another example of this. All her armors couldn't do a thing to that woman, but her courage makes her (Erza) invicible all of a sudden? (Seriously, that's just as lame as Soul Eater anime ending with "Maka's courage badass ep!" and all such..)

Nonetheless, I don't think FT is there to provide deep in-thoughts or philosophical thoughts.. it's just for our own amusement (and fanserice) XD So, enjoy the action? XD

deffkryz
August 09, 2010, 04:57 PM
I'm actually about to put this manga aside. It kept me entertained for about 120 up to 150 chapters - and then the very same happens to me as with Rave.

I agree with Lyn685 at some point: But to me, it's not the mass of characters that annoy me. It's how Mashima mixes and uses them to build his plots - and IMHO Mashima missed a very lot of potential by pulling that "Anima" magic out of nowhere without any introduction - unlike the arc against Oriación Seis which was started in a decent way, but in that he also missed some potential to deepen the main characters, the world of Fairy Tail and the "over all plot".

The arcs lately somehow feel a bit too structured after Mashima brought back Elsa from the Tower of Paradise, still not predictable but I don't feel any passion while reading a lineup of plot twists. There's group of bad guys that was never mentioned before but suddenly needs to be defeated, and somehow they are. That's the standard shonen style to construct a plot - and I'm not criticizing this... But! The antagonists are revealed way too early and defeating them neither feels like a relief to the world of FT nor does it seem to reveal more of it.

I'm not daring to compare FT to some work of some other mangaka. I wish Mashima, the manga FT and the WSM the best and I see and acknowledge its success on the market. But I really hope Mashima brings this Edolas arc to its end right at the end of 2010 and then starts to revise his way to construct plots. Ever since the final match of the Fantasia arc, I feel like Mashima could have spend around 10 more chapters to show a bit more of the bonds between the main characters, to explain the antagonists' reasons of being bad guys, to be more subtle, to wring out the last bit of suspense - instead of simply starting a new plot to introduce more characters to show them interacting with the main characters, he could spend more time to make the main characters interacting with each others.

Nonetheless, I don't think FT is there to provide deep in-thoughts or philosophical thoughts.. it's just for our own amusement (and fanserice) XD So, enjoy the action? XD

I actually think FT could provide those "philosophical aspects" without losing anything of its charme with ease. I believe it would be a pity to waste such primary and secondary main characters only for amusement, action and fanservice.

Manji Yoshimitsu
August 10, 2010, 03:00 PM
It's my personal opinion that FT indeed has seen better Arc's/Chapters. Mainly because the part about Gildarts is skimmed through very quickly before starting the Edo Arc. We finally meet the 'He's-So-Strong-We-Barely-Say-His-Name-Outloud' guy and everybody gets sucked into the sky....

This whole arc, for me personally, has been leading up to the point where we finally get back and learn more about Gildarts. So I haven't really been reading intensely up until the Dark Dragon fight which just ended. (I thought that was very cool btw.)

About it becoming the next Bleach?! Well no... not the least bit (yet...) I think Bleach has gone so far down the drain (still read it though) that no series can match that quite soon. In mean, the last Bleach chapters have been going like this:

"Stare... (insert one line of dialog)"
"Stare... (retord)"
*Attack from someone, and somebody with very big, suprised eyes*

End of Chapter, see you next week!

I'm still very very much interested in how Natsu and the 2 other dragonslayers are gonna interact, what's the story behind Makarov's son etc...

I know I'll keep on reading, just waiting for this weeks chapter!

exacta
August 11, 2010, 08:09 AM
ToP arc was pretty bad....the characters were too odd, Erza defeating Ikaruga the way she did was the biggest load of crap I've read, and ehhh....I don't know, maybe I don't like Gerard because his design is a copy of Sieg, and Mashima reused it twice in this manga....I don't know, it hurts the manga a little. I don't mind a few characters looking somewhat similiar, but it's like Mashima copy/pasted 3 times, and Sieg was probably the only interesting thing about Rave, to be honest.

Fantasia was GREAT, til Mashima revealed Mistgun was Gerard, and then it was ruined......

The Oracion Seis arc was just horrible.....actually thought it was gonna focus on other characters heavily, but no, it was still mostly focusing on the usual 4.

I really liked this Edolas arc. Sure, the whole Erza vs Erza thing was kinda weak, I would've expected more, especially since Mashima is into the whole fanservice thing.....but aside from that,it was good. One thing about Mashima that annoys me with his powers in this manga is that they can be EXTREMELY vague.Like with the Erza vs Erza fight, Knightwalker was like " THIS IS MY STRONGEST SPEAR" and Erza was like " THIS IS MY STRONGEST ARMOR" and then they just clash.:notrust

I mean like.....what the helll is so special about either of them??? Nothing special was shown about them....sometimes the explanation of powers and the battles are just lacking. And just like Rave, there is indeed waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much stupid pointless crying and nakamagasming in the midst of fight. And I hate when the only reason the main character won is because he screamed about his nakama before the final attack. Wish that worked in real life, everything would be so easy.....

Other problem I have is Mashima can create good conflicts, but his resolutions to them suck. Like the way Erza Scarlet got through to Erza Knightwalker was just weak. She was like, " Look,your alive!See??!!".....okay, well the fact that their world is losing magic is still a problem?? I hope he doesn't end the arc with Edolas resolving to live without magic due to what Erza said or something like that.

And I do wish he would focus on other characters aside from the usual 4.

elitefox
August 12, 2010, 01:07 AM
I liked Fairy Tail once.
But with every new arc, especially the last one and the new Edoras Arc, I realised how bad Fairy Tail is.
The reasons are:

Natsu is a way to cliché Hero. Hes a dim-witted wannabe-badass that can still fight with full power alltough he was halfdead some minutes ago and wasted all his magical resources. But whats really annoying about him are his speeches about how his nakamas are his power and such although his friends aren´t doing one bit.
And that happens nearly in every arc. He hasn´t changed one bit since the beginning and is now boring, while being annoying. He also makes nearly every serious scene ludicrous.

Happy: A flying cat whos people are rumored to be higher beings or some sh*t like that, but it turns out his folk are useless weaklings that just pretended to be higher beings... HOW does that work ANYWAY?

Lucy Heartphilia: Shes here for the (mostly annoying) humor and the fanservice. She also cries alot and is moved by every wannabe-charming scene.

Erza: A wannabe tough girl that cries alot and is moved by every supposed to be charming scene. Shes also victim of Mashimas foot-fetish and other fanservice.

Lucy: Loli who cries alot and is moved by every one of Mashimas genius moving scenes.

Also:

Too many characters! Most of them are completely useless and just take Screentime from the characters who really need it.

Weird character designs! Especially the new Villains nearly all looked ridiculous. I couldn´t take them seriously. The only one who can make ugly characters work is Oda.

Nearly no story-development, that shows you, that there is an end to this manga.
The information about Zeref, the dragons, the dark guilds who are really important to the story is ridiculously small, and tiny bits of information only appear between the arcs or are slightly mentioned in one of them.

Conclusion: Fairy Tail suffers under some of the lamest and most obvious characters I ever saw in a manga, under nearly no progression, lots of annoying melodrama, a gigantic amount of badly explained deus ex machinas and so on.

I agree to most but to erza, I like her :p

although one thing I hate most is that she is even crying for that guy with a tatoo on his face.:darn

Just like every other manga, it has its stand outs and it has its downs, and this arc is very well can be said as a down well at least to me. It bored me to hell, really didn't like the setting, or maybe it is targeted to younger ones i.e. 10 yrs old below.

OldSkOoL
August 12, 2010, 07:01 PM
Agreed, this arc is definetely not one of the best but a lot of manga goes through these stages. It happened a lot through out Dragonall and it's happening in Bleach as well.

Some issues I have with FT are

Natsu: He's def not my favourite character, typical shonen manga hero but that's not why I dislike him. It just seems to me that he has unlimited power that he can tap into at anytime and he doesn't seem to lose, ever. He needs to be really grounded down in one arc, just get his arse completely handed to him.

Lucy: Like people have said she seems like she's just their for fan service and I have an issue with her Celestial spirits. The 12 Zodiac keys are supposed to be the rarest ones to obtain and yet she already has nine? Aries, Aquarius, Leo, Scorpio, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Virgo, Sagitarrius. I dunno just annoys me that they're so rare but she's gathering them up so quickly, and easily.

Characters like Grey and Juvia I think have a lot more potential which should be expanded on, especially Juvia, water is an extremely powerful magic she needs to be given more time as does Mirajane and Elfman.

As for the rest of the filler characters, there's just too many of them always constantly popping up./ Mashima should concentrate on around a core group of say 10 and focus the story around them. Natsu, Lucy, Happy, Erza, Grey, Juvia, Mirajane, Elfman, Marakov and either Gildarts or Mystogun. If Oda can make one piece entertaining with the Straw Hat crew I'm sure Mashima can do the same.

But I suppose as some people have said maybe he just isn't into it that much. I certainly enjoyed the first few arcs of Fairy Tail. Phantom Lord being one of my favs but it's dropped off recently. Hopefully the next arc gets it going in the right direction.

MechR
August 12, 2010, 09:22 PM
Lucy: Like people have said she seems like she's just their for fan service and I have an issue with her Celestial spirits. The 12 Zodiac keys are supposed to be the rarest ones to obtain and yet she already has nine? Aries, Aquarius, Leo, Scorpio, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Virgo, Sagitarrius. I dunno just annoys me that they're so rare but she's gathering them up so quickly, and easily.It was going okay until that stupid undeserved win against Angel dropped three in her lap all at once, including the HAX that is Gemini. Before that, it was:

Taurus, Cancer, Aquarius: Starter keys from her stinking-rich father, or her mom.
Virgo: Looted from Everlue, who was also fairly rich.
Sagittarius: From an S-class job.
Leo: From befriending Loki and standing up for him.

And those were pretty reasonable.

OldSkOoL
August 12, 2010, 11:07 PM
Yeh, I could have tolerated her getting maybe one of them say Scorpio but not all three.

Bowser
August 13, 2010, 11:50 AM
Nah, just that this arc's pretty shit that's all. Hopefully once they go back to Earth, it'll be set another decent arc and back to fighting those baddie guilds again :P

llamapie
August 13, 2010, 07:19 PM
I enjoy fairy tail but I don't find myself as enthralled by it like I do by my favorite mangas (Berserk, One Piece, Naruto, etc..) It just lacks that little catchy epicness I enjoy for some reason. Its a fun story so I still keep up with it but there is no real underlying theme. Also the other thing that irks me is that there is no romance. Most shonens have it or hint at it, this one is filled with hot women but no romance to speak of (luvia is a tirtiary character don't include her.) Every arc introduces something new. There is no MAIN villain to speak of (Gerard is useless he's already been beaten.) And the mystery behind the dragons is yet to even be hinted at.

I will give the manga the benefit of the doubt though, the story will get better.
[hr]

Yeh, I could have tolerated her getting maybe one of them say Scorpio but not all three.

Well at the same time are there more than one zodiac keys? I don't remember if its been mentioned. She WILL get them all there is no doubt there and she will be able to summon the head honcho I imagine at some point too.

elitefox
August 16, 2010, 03:58 AM
Agreed, this arc is definetely not one of the best but a lot of manga goes through these stages. It happened a lot through out Dragonall and it's happening in Bleach as well.

Some issues I have with FT are

Natsu: He's def not my favourite character, typical shonen manga hero but that's not why I dislike him. It just seems to me that he has unlimited power that he can tap into at anytime and he doesn't seem to lose, ever. He needs to be really grounded down in one arc, just get his arse completely handed to him.

Lucy: Like people have said she seems like she's just their for fan service and I have an issue with her Celestial spirits. The 12 Zodiac keys are supposed to be the rarest ones to obtain and yet she already has nine? Aries, Aquarius, Leo, Scorpio, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Virgo, Sagitarrius. I dunno just annoys me that they're so rare but she's gathering them up so quickly, and easily.

Characters like Grey and Juvia I think have a lot more potential which should be expanded on, especially Juvia, water is an extremely powerful magic she needs to be given more time as does Mirajane and Elfman.

As for the rest of the filler characters, there's just too many of them always constantly popping up./ Mashima should concentrate on around a core group of say 10 and focus the story around them. Natsu, Lucy, Happy, Erza, Grey, Juvia, Mirajane, Elfman, Marakov and either Gildarts or Mystogun. If Oda can make one piece entertaining with the Straw Hat crew I'm sure Mashima can do the same.

But I suppose as some people have said maybe he just isn't into it that much. I certainly enjoyed the first few arcs of Fairy Tail. Phantom Lord being one of my favs but it's dropped off recently. Hopefully the next arc gets it going in the right direction.

lol I think its fine for Lucy to have all the zodiac signs

The problem is that they are so weak they have no use at all except maybe for... IDK

Maybe the problem is for execution of Lucy? the sequence of appearing to create a combo or series attack. That is what she lacks... or I guess the author lacks.

Good moves even you are the weakest might make the battle more interesting than natsu. Mashima for me is trying to copy One piece, you see the clumsiness of Luffy while fighting here and then but it is in the right time and mashima really pulls it out of Natsu which tends to be funny sometimes but corny most of the times.

The thing I'm sure is that FT won't make it to the top of my list if it stays this way.

P.S. sorry for the comparison but I suggest reading one piece and calmly and patiently lol
I read 400+ chapters in 1 week from chapter 1 lol and have been pulling my hair when I can't get the next chapter lol.
Warning: One piece is highly addictive ;)

Lyn685
August 16, 2010, 10:15 AM
Maybe the problem is for execution of Lucy? the sequence of appearing to create a combo or series attack. That is what she lacks... or I guess the author lacks.
I know what Mashima could do to make Lucy more attractive in terms of fighting.
Why doesn´t he let her fuse with her Celestial spirits?
Lucys personality mixed with her Celestial spirits personalitys and powers.
That would be awesome!

Not only would that be cool, but it would also make her progression more believable, because she not only trains her spirits, but also herself.
With the fusion of the personality there could also originate some original situations.

But to bad Mashima doesn´t come up with stuff like this and instead gives her tons of keys that she barely uses and who aren´t strong at all. (How can a Celestial-Spirit user make his spirits fight better anyway? There has to be a way, because the Zodiac-Keys are described as really rare.)

RezzieThaRapper
August 20, 2010, 01:33 PM
I just got up to speed and have read every chapter to date and now feel comfortable to comment on this part of the forum...

Fairy Tail had hooked me in from the very beginning, but this Arc to me is sorta like somebody threw a filler arc into the manga, and kept throwing it in... though I did like the development on Happy, but some of this was not as engaging as the past chapters before this current arc...

I wouldn't mind another Guild War, cause that first one was EPIC

Lee-tyme7
August 27, 2010, 04:44 PM
Well I'm good with it maybe becus I'm from America and we don't like the fight to drag on too long, we only care about the plot and characters development. XD

Harlock
August 29, 2010, 11:54 PM
I actually like all the arcs so far but with the last arc we did see, i think, some major development on the relationship between Gajille,Wendy and Natsu and their fight with that big bad Metal-Dragon(Robot).....I actually thought that moment that this is the introduction to the mystery that is sourounding the real Dragons.....And we did see that one major player of fairy tail is no more with fairy tail (Mistgun)....So i dont think that is going downhill ,i think that it gives the calm before the storm feeling..

Drakk707
September 06, 2010, 11:37 PM
Nah, I think all of what have happened is some sort of prologue to the real history which has yet to take off. I'm basing this on the fact that in every Arc they focus on one of the main characters background and/or recruiting new members, also nottice that nobody other than Lucy has received any power-up since the series began (Natsu momentary power-ups ,wich he uses to beat the final boss in each Arc, doesn't count since he never displays them again). So far I have liked every Arc (the Luxus Arc being my favorite) but I admit it could be better. In the last chapters of the previous Arc there were lots of hints that suggested the next Arc will be the Dragon Arc wich I think will be the tunring point were the series will finally take off.

digit03
September 07, 2010, 03:38 AM
yeah im crossing my fingers for a good one...i just hope they dont just jump in to the arc straightaway like the edoras arc

i had mixed feelings about lissana coming back but i just gave up and sed what the hell lets go on

Anti-panda
September 15, 2010, 08:29 PM
The problem as i see it is character limitation ... Natsu was introduced as a powerful mage .. but Not the most powerful mage .. even in his own guild.
Lucy's limitation is her stellar spirits themselves ... They can't get any more powerful .. so the only way to power her up .. is to give her more "Rare" keys .. the problem with that being .. she doesn't use half of them. Mangaka should've probably rationed them out ... giving them to lucy more slowly.

I've ranted my issues about erza in another thread .. so let me quote ..

Honestly the more vulnerable and timid erza becomes in whatever storyline .. The less I like her .. which is the opposite of my normal reactions ... I like erza early on ... a hard ass .. strong as hell .. woman who gives out the beatings when and where they are needed ... Sorry to rant ^_^ But i'd just like to see her being erza more .. and less a damsel in distress .. I mean she is a S class wizard .. so I don't think her butt should need saving .. even from natsu.
I'll only add that yeah we've seen more armors .. but then again erza didn't really need development .. she started the series at the top of fairy tail strength wise.

But honestly the only wizards we've really seen develop are natsu and grey .. I would honestly like to see grey learn to use free form (animated) ice forms at some point ...

And natsu maybe develop his DS powers a little more .. or some more creativity on how he uses them like his earlier battles ... i mean in his first "Major battle" with the shinigami .. it was hinted that he can form fire like constructs (the hand that grabbed the bridge) ..with his fire ... and using his fire to propel his fist against the anti-magic guy ... I'd like to see more creativity like that.

hisoga
September 27, 2010, 05:08 AM
I liked Fairy Tail once.
The reasons are:

Also:

i like this.. and when it come to Fairy Tail new arc, i always use this list(taken from other forum):):

[ ]"We need to send out an elite team of badasses! Eh, I guess Lucy, Natsu, Erza, Gray and Happy will do, instead of any of our other 40 unique guild members."
[ ] This arc has promise.
[ ]Gerard appears.
[ ]Surprise Dragon Slayer
[ ]Lucy fights another summoner
[]Erza handicaps herself so she can't solo the big bad
[ ]Maybe we should send Gajeel in as surprise backup and have him be awesome.
[ ]Lucy gets naked/someone rips Lucy's shirt off
[ ]"the "enemy" has become an "ally/friend"
[ ]Surprise last boss
[ ]Manly tears
[ ]"This arc blows, I hope the next one is better. Maybe the end can save it."
[ ]Natsu wins by deus ex machina 1 time only powerup.
[ ]"The last arc was kind of lame. I hope the next one is better."
[ ]Arc ends, restart from #1.

KOrto
September 27, 2010, 01:01 PM
@ hisoga

You took that list from the arlong park forum (a pro-One piece fan site)
i d'ont think we need that stupid list,if want i do the same for One piece :)

hisoga
September 27, 2010, 07:28 PM
lol... that is nothing to do with other manga.. there is no need to you to think badly to other manga or its fans. that list is for fairy tail from some of its readers, so please don't be bias. whoever create it or whenever it came from doesn't matter. if somebody is a fan of one particular manga doesn't mean he can't read and become other mangas fan and he's/she's opinion are not matter right?

and there is no need for somebody to get angry because of the list. we actually can discuss the list, see for ourselves whether the list is right or not. if you are an open minded, the list actually pretty fun.

OldSkOoL
September 27, 2010, 07:53 PM
This newest arc looks promising hopefully it can return Fairy Tail to its better days, but as always we've got a lot of part timers stepping up and of course a new character.

mq1986
October 03, 2010, 12:12 AM
Although I felt the Edolas plot went pretty much nowhere in developing character or moving the overall story, at least it offered some interesting results: Mystogan's removal, Lisanna's return, Pantherlily's addition (my favorite keepsake from the Edolas arc by far), and a little more depth to Charle and Happy.

The battle for S-class is probably going to lead the series uphill because it allows Fairy Tail to do what it does best: let the characters fight and interact with each other. I've been super-entertained so far.

BlackSword
October 09, 2010, 07:57 PM
I've been feeling that the overall progression of the series is slowly becoming less and less definable... Lucy progressed with the whole Loki Arc being able to summon multiple spirits at once but since then she hasn't shown any sign of that progression... Erza's badassery stays pretty much the same to the point that she is an 'Auto-Win' Character... Natsu during the Edolas Arc seemingly pulled out a 'Dragon' which pretty much mean his character progression is right where everyone expects it to be but its really hard to judge if he has become stronger because of characters like Gazelle apparently almost keeping up with him. The only character that has made some bad ass progression recently is Wendy! She went from only healing abilities to all of a sudden she's a dragon <3 I completely love Wendy's character ever since the Edolas fight with that fake dragon! Although seriously though the fact that the King of Edolas was still alive at the end of the arc left me feeling confused... Wouldn't he take power again once he regained consciousness? The people have no inkling of his evil deeds and horrible personality and the Prince Gerard would be in trouble so did anything actually happen in that Arc? Besides the addition of an Panther, the Revival of Lisanna... I was enjoyed the story and it was cool to see Fairy-Tail's favorite people kick some ass but all and all it didn't feel like it moved the story forward for me... And about Gildarts & the dragons... The dragons are arguably the 'end' of Fairy Tail. If Natsu meets Igneel whats he going to do after that? So unless Fairy-Tail is coming to an end in the next 2-3 arcs I don't see the dragon story line progressing unless it's like a Rogue Dragon or something...

On completely unrelated note... The mage council is being stupid yet again... Seriously... Whats going to happen this time? Full out war between Fairy-Tail and the Mage Council? All the most powerful members of Fairy Tail are currently otherwise occupied I wouldn't see it as far-fetched for those idiots at the council to try and pull something...

elitefox
October 12, 2010, 04:36 AM
It is kinda spiky since edo arc up till now

I feel a lot of "not should be done" done in a bad way.
progress of story is slower and development of character is horrible nowadays :(

Bhoot
October 13, 2010, 10:15 AM
this arc has so much potential , its like only the best possible fights that will be repeated / unseen fights that we all wanted to see will happen . Yes, the 1st fight was a stub because everyone knew that Cana and Lucy would win coz of plot , but we still managed to see development in the character of Fried .

The thing i hate the most about FT is that characters just seem to use new moves out of the blue with no previous training or anything . Its like they have been holding back since episode 1 .

I would like to see the characters training in a couple of chapters by themselves or maybe even teach each other stuff . Maybe Mirajane/Lissane can teach Natsu basics of takeover skill or some teach Lucy to do some magic like the one she used on Angel and quit relying on her summons too much or maybe a fellow steller spirit person can teach her how to strategically use her summons and stop embarrasing herself all the time and so on and so forth .

And yes , character development has not been a strong point in FT

ZERO PHOENIX
November 09, 2010, 10:31 AM
To me FT is doing just fine. The only arc that disappointed me was the Eldoras arc (cough, lame) but I've been hooked on FT since the beginning. While this chapter probably won't be as badass as the Fairy vs Fairy arc (LUXUS IS A <EXPLETIVE> BEAST) it's sure to be epic! I can't wait until the next chapter is released.

Gazille is going to turn these losers into paste.

ashher
December 25, 2010, 08:35 AM
What drastic change has occured in FT that one would have to think about whether its going downhill or uphill? Imo its going exactly how its been since the beginning. Sure the 2 best arcs (to me anyway) were the two earlier ones (Erza's and Laxus's)...but they were better only because the execution was better. The basic approach remains the same. I admit that I skipped Edolas arc (was disappointed to find out mystogan=gerard from another world)...but it was only a matter of not liking the storyline of that arc.

ca12nag3
December 25, 2010, 12:04 PM
hmm well im curious how much was planned ahead, like with Happy, Lisanna,wendy,mystogan and Charle all interconnected in the Edolas arc. Since Myst doesnt serve much purpose other then being a shadow figure early on *easily replacable by Laxus or Gildartz* The thing he had in favor was his mysteriousness, yet he is gone now.

Having 4 different storylines interconnecting in the Edolas arc makes it messy.
Wendy-Mystogan line,Charle-Happy origin line,Lisanna line,main line.

Thats all it is, Same with the Orion Seis arc.
Wendy-Mystogan line,Gerard-Erza line, Lyon-Grey line,Loki-Karin line,main line
All the other arcs do not crosswire that much with storylines.

Erza arc only has the main line and doesnt mention much else.

The phantom arc same, only a little bit in it of the Lisanna line.

I think the strength of the arc depends on how much it sticks to the core rather then going down a sideline every chapter.

MechR
December 25, 2010, 09:38 PM
What drastic change has occured in FT that one would have to think about whether its going downhill or uphill?Well, Mashima totally failed at making Luxus sympathetic, then got increasingly sloppy with his writing/planning through Nirvana and Edoras; Details in my earlier post (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2000682&postcount=14).

Thankfully, he's finally pulled out of his nosedive with the current arc. This is turning into the best arc ever :zomg

4StepsAhead
December 28, 2010, 07:50 AM
Well I'll just add my 2 cents to this thread.

I enjoyed all the arcs so far particularly the Phantom and Lexus arcs, these where the cream of the crop ( this current arc looks like it will be the best arc yet, however I'll wait to see how it plays out, because if Fairy Tail wins here and beats GH then it may turn out to be worst arc ever)

The only thing that annoys me about Fairy Tail is Natsu and his power ups from out of no where (which is why I'm glad he got pwned in this current arc), and I wish he had like a standard set of moves or more creative moves. He also has no character development what-so-ever

Ezra is cool, the more she becomes vulnerable and open about her feelings she becomes the strong she gets. I like her character development

But what I'm really itching to find out about is the Dragons disappearing, and Zeref's history ( is he good or bad) and the war that happen ages ago.....which looks like it might happen in this chapter.

Askia32
January 01, 2011, 03:49 AM
Finally caught up in the series. I don't think the manga has gone downhill. Its just the Edoras arc was really bad and the Nirvana arc lacked depth. The current arc seems like it will be pretty solid. But like the poster above, if FT has a landslide victory it will be pretty weak.

I don't get why we need to see people train to come out with new spells we haven't seen. Honestly the same techniques Natsu's uses is getting a bit old. Its nice to see him pull out with something new.

zelllogan
January 09, 2011, 12:13 PM
IMO, Edoras & Nirvana were not good arcs. I didn't gave a damn about Edoras' world & Oracion seis were bad villains. And IMO, this is Mashima biggest problem: He doesn't know how to create cool villains (or he forgot, RAVE was IMO better at this level).

Among all villains in Fairy Tails, is there really someone worth remembering ? If there was a survey about best villains in shounen, no one would think about fairy tail.

Now we have Grimoire Hearts and even if they seems strong & have to be taken seriously, I simply don't care about them. Why ? Because all of them acquired their magic because of Hades who trained them. They are just pawns.

In fact, the only villains I really like ... were in the end good guys: Gerard, Metal Dragon Slayer, Luxus, Lluvia.

On another level, I hope that Fairy tail will not follow the same path as RAVE. Imo, RAVE lost itself after Demon's card first failure. After all the revelations concerning Haru's father, that fight with Demon's card leader ... the manga should have ended.

NB: I know lots of people won't agree with me ...

meow79
January 11, 2011, 06:34 AM
and finally they should cut back on the crying they do that in almost all chapters!

Natsu himself is actually very strong. I would consider his true strength to be on par with if not stronger than makarov. however his power ability is very unstable as it goes up and down very sharply. this is probably due to him being unaware of his true potential thus all his supposed power-ups are infact out burst of his true potential not just some random things happening, all he need is someone who in similar class to point him in the right direction and his growth will be ridiculously fast

exacta
January 15, 2011, 12:08 AM
IMO, Edoras & Nirvana were not good arcs. I didn't gave a damn about Edoras' world & Oracion seis were bad villains. And IMO, this is Mashima biggest problem: He doesn't know how to create cool villains (or he forgot, RAVE was IMO better at this level).

Among all villains in Fairy Tails, is there really someone worth remembering ? If there was a survey about best villains in shounen, no one would think about fairy tail.

Now we have Grimoire Hearts and even if they seems strong & have to be taken seriously, I simply don't care about them. Why ? Because all of them acquired their magic because of Hades who trained them. They are just pawns.

In fact, the only villains I really like ... were in the end good guys: Gerard, Metal Dragon Slayer, Luxus, Lluvia.

On another level, I hope that Fairy tail will not follow the same path as RAVE. Imo, RAVE lost itself after Demon's card first failure. After all the revelations concerning Haru's father, that fight with Demon's card leader ... the manga should have ended.

NB: I know lots of people won't agree with me ...

I dont find your post that disagreeable. Nirvana was GOD awful. I do agree that there arent many memorable villains, probably partially because many of them get offed in a single chapter. I liked Jose, Cobra and Erigor though, and Hades is actually quite a good villain so far.

I also found Rave to be a horrible manga after King died. Way too much nakama powerup bullshit and crying over nakama, so many fights were ended with friendship speeches followed up by a complete WTFpwn. Not to mention all that buildup to the most obvious plot twist ever. Elie is Resha??!!! *GASP*

Fairy Tail is a decent manga on its own, but compared to Rave its a big improvement IMO.

Ero-Sanji
January 15, 2011, 04:38 AM
@the whole bad villain thing.

I have to slightly disagree, the problem is not(at least for me) not that they are plain bad and not cool but that he makes them too friendly or funny which kind of contradicts a typical villain. Typical examples are Lluvia, Totomaru and Sol in the elemental four, for me it would have been enough with just Lluvia, the rest should have been as bad-ass as Gazille and Aria.

Another thing is character development regarding villains he utterly destroyed Midnight and Brain. Midnight was defeated by the same plot that defeated other and very strong opponents like Ikaruga and Aria. While Brain turned into a mindless zealot who only cared about destruction and didn't even find Nirvana that interesting, so the whole purpose of the arc fell with him.

Even though there are flaws he has done a fairly good job, Eligor was perfect and so was gazille, Angel, Cobra and most definitely Urtear.

kkck
January 15, 2011, 04:39 PM
I think the villains mashima makes are overall cool, it is just in the character development part where they kinda come short. I mean, take cobra and brain. Cobra started out awesome, he basically gave erza the fodder treatment and his poison abilities were great but he was taken out by natsu's roar, not even a proper fight. Brain was an interesting villain, he was smart, cold hearted and he was replaced by zero who is basically an insane egomaniac obsessed with destruction destruction. Basically, its as if they were rushed through the story rather than allowed the development they deserved.

Now, lets be fair, there have been some great bad guys so far. Erigor was not uber but he was very decent at the very least. Master Jose was awesome too, I don't think he sucked at all. Gerard made a decent bad guy during TOP, thing was that he was possessed and not really evil to begging with. Lets face it, hades right now is doing a pretty good job as a bad guy lol.

White Silver King
January 16, 2011, 10:41 PM
I'll wait until next week's chapter to say whether or not it's going downhill. But if Natsu wins his fight my answer will most definitely be yes. In terms of "spikes", the end of the Battle Fairy Tail arc was the absolute, extreme, abyssal low of this manga.