PDA

View Full Version : Seinen Crime and Punishment by OCHIAI Naoyuki

Kaiten
August 10, 2010, 02:18 PM
http://thumbnails27.imagebam.com/9238/742b0492378777.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/742b0492378777)

Crime and Punishment (Tsumi to Batsu)
By: OCHIAI Naoyuki (http://www.mangaupdates.com/authors.html?id=3433)
Serialized In: Manga Action
Genre: drama, suspense
Mangaupdates (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=15611)

Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment transposed to modern Japan. A brilliant writer turned hikikomori quietly broods, contemplating murder. A brutal exploration of a guilty man, an exploration of the dislocation of modern life, and a tense suspense manga; Crime and Punishment is a great, newly scanlated manga. Give it a try!
[hr]
After three chapters I only have one complaint: the art is a bit plain. Not terrible, but nothing that stands out. The story is phenomenal, an amazing amount of tension. Miroku, the main characters, decent into madness is palpable across the first three chapters. He's never shown to be a raving lunatic, he slowly simmers as he is pushed to his limit. Great start to the series, I look forward to more.

Black Lagoon
August 11, 2010, 05:28 PM
sounds interesting I´ll definitely give it a try :amuse

Drmke
August 11, 2010, 10:11 PM
Read the first three chapters last night and I really enjoyed it. The main character, like Kaiten said, has a near perfect, believable amount of madness to his character. the story is pretty interesting so far. I'm really curious as to what his "plan" is. Though I have to admit, when the girl went into the bathroom with the two guys I felt a little sick to my stomach. I wonder if his "plan" is to try to stop these sorts of atrocities from occuring. That's kinda how the story seems to be leaning in my eyes.

Bugzee
August 11, 2010, 10:57 PM
Mmm. I'll be honest... up until the last couple of pages of the third chapter, I was like wtf is wrong with this dude; it's clear that the main character has some kind of mental issue. I can't stand seeing such scenes in manga where a person gets treated like that girl...it does get to you sometimes...

Anyway.. nothing really exciting or interesting has occurred yet in the manga and we're not really *clearly* informed of what this character's objective/problems are lol. The following line caught my attention the most...

The seed was thus planted...that would grow into "The Plan"

...and so now, I can't wait for chapter 4 to be released. :smile-big

Black Lagoon
August 12, 2010, 03:18 PM
As Buggy said, nothing really interesting has occurred yet...
very first good impression though ; )

Kaiten
August 12, 2010, 06:35 PM
I don't think anything dramatic is going to happen to make snap. It is going to be a slow decent. His soon to be brother in law seems to be a major source of tension, it seems his family is somewhat poor as well. He seems to be one of those people who is baffled and angered by modern life; city living, crime, the impersonal nature of city living too. Being confronted by the teen prostitutes seemed to rub him the wrong way.

Black Lagoon
August 12, 2010, 06:49 PM
Yeah, and seems like he doesn`t get "Hell is the real paradise" or at least he tries but find it hard to believe.
About his family ... well, he thinks that his sister will marry a jerk in order to be able to finance his studies, So ...

Kaiten
August 12, 2010, 08:12 PM
I think the finance will be more than a jerk. He's having nightmares with the guy in the them.

Black Lagoon
August 13, 2010, 05:34 AM
:facepalm yes, I forgot about that guy, in his dream he thought it was his dad, so using that guy´s money made him feel as if that jerk is his hated father.

Kaiten
August 15, 2010, 02:53 PM
Hard to say why he hates his brother in law so much. Maybe he sees himself as the savior of the family, or a sister complex, and views the brother in law as competition.

Chapter 4 is out. Little is revealed but it looks like he is going to snap within the next few chapters.

Black Lagoon
August 18, 2010, 10:51 AM
As Daniel Lau said : This is really the last chapter of throwing the ingredients in the pot, and from the next chapter things are gonna start boiling.
But the last pages have some political issues, it is like If they are screaming America ...!

Kaiten
August 19, 2010, 01:56 AM
That's what I'm looking forward to. I have this bad feeling that high school prostitute, the one who gave him her number, is not going to live much longer. Someone will die before chapter 1 is over, I assume.

Black Lagoon
August 28, 2010, 09:47 AM
the series is getting more interesting, I think he will do some more test before taking any action.
Although, I can´t ignore his desires to kill so that girl will definitely die (He might play with her before ... and by play I mean torture)

Drmke
September 19, 2010, 03:16 PM
So I just read chapters 4-9 and from what I can tell, the story will end soon (MAL says its only one volume long). Its become obvious what his "plan" is though I think most of us could have guessed it early on. The more it focuses on Hikaru, the worse of a person she becomes in my eyes. The way he has gone about his plan is a lot sloppier than I'm used to seeing in manga (mostly shonen) but it adds to the realism of the story I believe. But because his plan has been generally so sloppy and on the spot in some moments, it makes me wonder just how he intends to kill Hikaru without getting caught (which I'm assuming he doesn't want too).

Crude
September 26, 2010, 05:20 PM
One volume? But doesn't the first post feature a picture of the first volume which shows the number 1, as in "vol.1"? There should be at least two. And from what I heard concerning the original story's lenghth, it should last longer.

Drmke
September 26, 2010, 06:01 PM
One volume? But doesn't the first post feature a picture of the first volume which shows the number 1, as in "vol.1"? There should be at least two. And from what I heard concerning the original story's lenghth, it should last longer.

That's all it says on Bakaupdates :cookiestare I was a little put off by it as well and it may very well be longer (would love for it to be), but I honestly don't know.

Kaiten
September 26, 2010, 07:39 PM
It's ongoing, there are seven volumes released so far. The plot is only beginning to thicken at the end of this volume anyway (chapter 10 starts vol. 2) with Miroku's decision to kill the head hooker. The last three chapters were great though, his confrontation with the girl (forgot her name) about being abused by the madame were phenomenal.

Me = :facepalm ~Drmke

Bugzee
October 03, 2010, 06:00 PM
I've read up to chapter 9 so far. Damn, I wasn't expecting Tachi to turn all of a sudden into some kind of "detective"/spy. At first he kept spazzing out and having all these weird reactions/dreams and now his become more "aware of his surroundings" :P. Well, I still think he's got a twisted mind lol. It'll be interesting what happens next with these schoolgirls (mainly Risa) and more importantly with Hika; what a f**k**g b*tch! :mad

Yes it's true people! You find girls/women like Hika in the real world.