PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Will the thousand Sunny make it all theway through the Grand line?

kkck
August 24, 2010, 12:19 PM
I was going through the manga and the events that actually made Merry reach its limit. They all got me thinking about how harsh the GL is and how much harsher the NW is going to be. Even more dangerous than that could be the battles that are to come with pirates and marines of unimaginable power. Even though the thousand sunny is made of the same material as the oro jackson, what is to come for the strawhats is more dangerous than what we can imagine. We have seen just a bit of the NW and the amount of danger is incredible to say the least. For instance, apoo ran into pigs so dangerous he as a supernova had to run. Uruoge got to an island where to dock he had to avoid a constant rain of thunder.... A wrong move can get you in fights with pirates with reasonably high bounties or in trouble with a yonkou. In that sense, Sunny might be hundreds of times larger and better than merry and has Franky to care for it at all times but in turn the danger ahead would make the dangers merry went through seem like less than child play. So what do you all think? Is Sunny actually good enough to make it all the way through the GL or will the harshness of the sea get to it too? Or perhaps Sunny has the quality to make it that far but in turn the strawhats are not strong enough to protect it as they go along? On another note, I think it is also worth mentioning the sunny does not actually look as large or impressive as the ships NW successful pirates or Yonkou have. So, what do you all think?

chrizzl
August 24, 2010, 12:59 PM
I think that the Sunny will make it just on the fact that they lost the the Going Merry and Luffy basically promised to not let it happen again and i belive he sed some where that the Sunny is his namaka and all this training he is doing to protect them
I also understand why some people may think it will fail due to the next stage being even harder than the last

tret16
August 24, 2010, 05:53 PM
you also forget that Franky is now studying Vegapunks blueprints and weapons, so i guarentee when they all met up and get on the sunny, he's goin to be upgrading the ship right then and there...

elitefox
August 24, 2010, 07:11 PM
you also forget that Franky is now studying Vegapunks blueprints and weapons, so i guarentee when they all met up and get on the sunny, he's goin to be upgrading the ship right then and there...

Yup.

I think Thousand Sunny unlike Going Merry will evolve throughout the manga... like them, it will become more powerful as we go on.

That is because we have a genius carpenter on board, Franky:darn

tret16
August 24, 2010, 07:30 PM
deffinitly, i was hoping that the manga would go that way too... As we saw durring the war, Whitebeards ship was hella huge compared to Sunny, so i figured that as the journey through the new world wen't on, Sunny would be getting bigger and more dangerous... Along with that boost in the back that they use to fly, it will get even bigger also to compensate for there weight. also adding a device that will allow them to move in the calm belt obviously... That one weakness that the strawhats don't need while on there trip.

Freid
August 24, 2010, 08:09 PM
Firstly it is pretty obvious that its going to sail the entire grand line. They aint going to change ships again after everything that happened with franky, bakaburg, the strawhats and merry.

Secondly, i agree that sunny doesnt look half impressive to me as the other ships i have seen like WB's or Shank's and other Pirate ships. I mean, it looks cool but it just isn't.... Epic. Though that might be to due to the fact that the strawhats are probably going to remain a small crew compared to other crews. Anyway, if Oda could somehow change the sunny's appearance in the story without making it seem force then that would be great. If sunny's current appearance is permanent then that's fine aswel

kkck
August 24, 2010, 08:27 PM
deffinitly, i was hoping that the manga would go that way too... As we saw durring the war, Whitebeards ship was hella huge compared to Sunny, so i figured that as the journey through the new world wen't on, Sunny would be getting bigger and more dangerous... Along with that boost in the back that they use to fly, it will get even bigger also to compensate for there weight. also adding a device that will allow them to move in the calm belt obviously... That one weakness that the strawhats don't need while on there trip.

I don't think sunny can actually get bigger though, not without stopping being the sunny go at least. If I do recall, the keel of a ship was refered to as its heart, its most important part. That particular part if damaged or altered would inherently change the sunny. In that sense, the sunny is not about to get bigger or change, it is going to remain exactly as it is. Franky could add a few things but it'd be nothing but superficial changes. Fortunately the sunny hasn't suffered any damage as of now but it is important to consider that for such a ship the first half of the grand line should not be a big deal provided it is properly sailed. Once they reach the new world the story might be a tad different.

tret16
August 24, 2010, 09:42 PM
well yes the keel is the heart, but that doesn't mean you can't add to it from the outside... i understand what your saying though, but i still think that franky could fortify it greatly with say like a type of metal maybe or something around those lines so that it could take on much greater damage without actually being damaged...

Cyber34
August 25, 2010, 11:41 AM
Assuming the ship survived Kuma's visit and numerous bounty hunters coming after it I think it will make it through the Grand Line.

p1xel
August 25, 2010, 11:55 AM
I think that it will make it...Eiichiro Oda already made Going Merry destroyed...Though it could be another very sad moment in OP...
Oh,and i remember that Franky has a dream that Thousand Sunny will made it through Grand Line,and assuming that all dreams will come true,Thousand Sunny will make it.
OP FTW!

Lord Rayleigh
August 25, 2010, 12:24 PM
Of course he will make it :
Franky said again he will repair him no matter what
Franky said he will SUPER upgrade it
Nami will get knowledge of the New World's weathers
Thousand Sunny's future is to be a ship of dream

kkck
August 25, 2010, 01:06 PM
I don't think the sunny being franky's dream is that strong an argument. If the sunny is destroyed all franky has to do is get over it and build a new, better, bigger and meaner one.

Lord Rayleigh
August 25, 2010, 01:11 PM
I don't think the sunny being franky's dream is that strong an argument. If the sunny is destroyed all franky has to do is get over it and build a new, better, bigger and meaner one.

You'd expect Franky to build a new ship for the SHs ? That's totally in contradiction with his dream so it does not make any sense.

kkck
August 25, 2010, 02:26 PM
^I'd expect him to build a new one under the condition that the sunny is damaged beyond repair. His dream is to make a dream ship which can sail all the way through the grand line. Surely he currently expects the sunny to be that ship but I don't think his life would come to an end if something happens to it. If the sunny is destroyed it is either because it just was not up to the task or the strawhats were not strong enough. In one scenario franky can, as I said before, just build a bigger, meaner and better ship. In the other one, the strawhats just have to get stronger (while yet again building another boat though).I don't think there'd be a contradiction to his dream if circumstances destroy the sunny and he has to build yet another ship.

Lord Rayleigh
August 25, 2010, 04:17 PM
There would be a contradiction in this dream since his dream ship must travel all around the world and overcome its dangers. If Thousand Sunny was to fail later in the story and Franky was to build another ship for the rest of the travel, this new ship would unfortunately have not faced the dangers needed to be the dream ship. Thousand Sunny must be a success, because there cannot be any other possible dream ship.

kkck
August 25, 2010, 06:02 PM
There would be a contradiction in this dream since his dream ship must travel all around the world and overcome its dangers. If Thousand Sunny was to fail later in the story and Franky was to build another ship for the rest of the travel, this new ship would unfortunately have not faced the dangers needed to be the dream ship. Thousand Sunny must be a success, because there cannot be any other possible dream ship.

The thousand sunny has hardly been through most of the GL though. Remember the sunny started and water seven, in that sense it has barely been traveled on. That said, that is not to say the sunny has not been through as much danger as the merry go. The GL gets progressively more dangerous as you go, in that sense, perhaps the sunny has been through things that merry could not have plausibly survived even if on top conditions. Same logic could apply to the NW. The dangers of sailing the NW will progressively increase as they sail. In that sense, if the sunny fails for whatever reason and franky succeeds in building a ship that can survive whatever made the sunny fail and can further sail the NW, then he will have succeeded in building his dream ship.

pirateofthe***
August 25, 2010, 06:29 PM
^I'd expect him to build a new one under the condition that the sunny is damaged beyond repair. His dream is to make a dream ship which can sail all the way through the grand line. Surely he currently expects the sunny to be that ship but I don't think his life would come to an end if something happens to it. If the sunny is destroyed it is either because it just was not up to the task or the strawhats were not strong enough. In one scenario franky can, as I said before, just build a bigger, meaner and better ship. In the other one, the strawhats just have to get stronger (while yet again building another boat though).I don't think there'd be a contradiction to his dream if circumstances destroy the sunny and he has to build yet another ship.

the ship of dreams is a ship when it travels and go to the end of world

kkck
August 25, 2010, 08:41 PM
That's further evidence that another ship would not be incoherent with the story. If the sunny can't make it to the end of the GL then it is not a ship of dreams.

Uriel
August 25, 2010, 09:17 PM
I think it will ONLY because we have Franky now, a person specialized in repairing as it should every time something goes wrong.

Poneglyph420
August 26, 2010, 01:47 AM
Well IF Luffy follows the pattern (whatever that is) of Roger's "conquest" of the GL I could see the Sunny making it through the NW. Since Tom made the Oro Jackson on which Roger conquered the GL. And beyond that as Franky has been speaking of his dreams and his role with the SH, it directly relates to the Sunny Go. So while another ship wouldn't be the end of the OP universe, IMHO I can somehow see the Sunny making it to Raftel.

kulugo
August 26, 2010, 06:31 AM
of course, it will. they have franky now.

Binor
August 26, 2010, 01:15 PM
if Roger's ship can sail the Grand Line then Thousand Sunny can cuz its made from the same wood and they have Franky

Cizuz
August 26, 2010, 01:37 PM
The going merry, a small caravel not meant for the grand line or harsh weather, made of normal wood, survived as long as it did was only due to the ships will. Honestly the going merry shouldn't of made it past reverse mountain... The shotty patch work kept it barely sailing.

However the thousand sunny, designed by one of the greatest aprentices of all time, using only the strongest wood from the tree of adam... With excellent work that can be performed by franky, will keep the ship going.

kkck
August 26, 2010, 02:52 PM
That is all true but there are plenty of things that can still hurt the sunny. Perhaps the sunny has the caliber to make it all the way but in the occasion of an enemy attack it can take severe damage. Damage the keel and the ship is done for in the exact same way merry was. The quality of the ship is important but the thread does include other things such as enemies to consider. We know for a fact that there are plenty of enemies out there who could destroy a ship with a single well placed hit. Personally, I'd like the sunny to get trashed so that the strawhats would indeed get a bigger, meaner and better boat.

undertoe
August 26, 2010, 03:06 PM
What would be the literary purpose of the Sunny being not good enough? It's already been shown to be one of the best ships ever made, directly comparable to the Oro Jackson. Just because you WANT another ship doesn't mean there should be one. It would be impossible to do it without making it too much like the Merry's departure, thus cheapening both events.

Why don't you just go ahead and propose an arc where Sabo returns and Luffy goes on a ridiculous quest to try to save him from death only to fail with success an arm's length away?

kkck
August 26, 2010, 03:45 PM
I did not say the strawhats should get another boat because I wanted them too. I just said I'd like them to get another. I don't think I have even stated whether I believed the sunny would or would not make it lol.

Why would a departure cheapen both events? Oda of all people is not bound to make things the exact same way as before for one thing. In many ways, a departure of the sunny would be that much more dramatic considering it does symbolize a lot, including what is left of merry and franky's dream (although I don't think it'd be the end of franky's life if sunny falls). For instance, if the sunny is involved in a sea battle against an enemies ship and an strong enough enemy obliterates it with a single slash, I'd think it'd lead to a significant difference in a potential departure scene.

Schabrak
August 27, 2010, 02:14 PM
kkck you make absolutly no sense.
Firstly another ship would contradict Frankys dream, to stop building ships to see this one special ship sail through the GrandLine.
It would secondly make no sense, as Oda made such a big effort designing it, personalizing it for every crew member made by the combined effort of Water 7, advertizing One Piece through it, Thousands Sunny does represent the Mugiwaras in the real world, as it does in the OP world.
Thirdly, we have hardly seen it in action, since it was build. One time flying away from Garp and a second time using a submarine isn't as much as they were shown with Going Marry.
Fourth, Thousand Sunny is to be protected by all means, failing again would represent failing at their journey. Would Franky pull out a massive amount of adam wood out of his behind, if the Thousand Sunny were to be destroyed? :E
My conclusion, you don't like Odas writing. :/

kkck
August 27, 2010, 03:35 PM
kkck you make absolutly no sense.
Firstly another ship would contradict Frankys dream, to stop building ships to see this one special ship sail through the GrandLine.
Bold letters were uncalled for :p
Franky's dream is to build a ship that can sail through the whole world. Basically a dream ship. In that sense, the sunny is on its way to becoming that dream ship, it is not the dream ship yet. In that sense, if the sunny fails for whatever reason then franky has to try again and hope the next does become a dream ship.
http://www.cloudmanga.com/One_Piece/437/7/

It would secondly make no sense, as Oda made such a big effort designing it, personalizing it for every crew member made by the combined effort of Water 7, advertizing One Piece through it, Thousands Sunny does represent the Mugiwaras in the real world, as it does in the OP world.
I don't think that is an actual argument. Marketing is important but I doubt it'd be something which would stop oda from doing what he wants.

Thirdly, we have hardly seen it in action, since it was build. One time flying away from Garp and a second time using a submarine isn't as much as they were shown with Going Marry.
That is true but obviously I haven't said it'd happen anytime soon. If you read my IP, you'd notice I talked about the sunny either being destroyed on the NW due to the extremely harsh conditions or a extremely powerful enemy trashing it. In that sense, there is more than enough time to see the full capacities of the sunny,

Fourth, Thousand Sunny is to be protected by all means, failing again would represent failing at their journey. Would Franky pull out a massive amount of adam wood out of his behind, if the Thousand Sunny were to be destroyed? :E
How? The merry was important too and having it destroyed beyond hope of repair did not cause the strawhats to stop their journey. You make it sound as if adam's wood had actual sentimental value to franky which we have no reason to believe.

My conclusion, you don't like Odas writing. :/
My conclusion: You are on crack :p

Skyrius
August 27, 2010, 03:40 PM
Oh dear. Alright, alright, everyone has their own ways of interpreting things. No bickering children XD *shot*

*cough* Anyways, I just remembered that Franky is also researching Vegapunk's inventions to power of Sunny as well. Rather than a new ship, I'd prefer to see Franky repair and improve on Sunny if it's ever damaged.

Schabrak
August 27, 2010, 05:13 PM
I dislike how you try to ignore the part about personalization and finalization and only take the part of marketing.

You post a page, yet you fail to read, what Franky said. He quit being a shipwright, improve yes, build?, no and this is the ship, that's planed to become the dream ship, like the Mugiwaras are fullfilling their dreams. No other ship can replace the Thousands Sunny as FranKy will never again build another one. What Iceberg said, was just an argument to let Franky join the crew, that he has to be on his own creation become the dream ship.
http://img1.mangareader.net/manga/-piece/437-6.jpg

I'm not on crack, you fail to understand what Oda has shown and written in his manga. How can you argue on what's fact?

P.S.: Why would you like to see Oda trash panels or chapters just for another ship? Do you dislike the design so much?

Skyrius
August 27, 2010, 05:44 PM
Alright. Arguments are fine, but personal jabs aren't considerate, from either side. Schabrak is not on crack. And from what I can tell, kkck may be misinterpreting what you're trying to say.

Schabrak's argument is that the Sunny will survive to the end since it is Franky's dream ship, the last ship he ever intended to make, and that has support in canon. Franky has stated that he never intended to build any more ships after what happened to Tom, but over time he found himself drawing up the blueprints for one last ship. This was his last challenge, to try and live up to Tom's reputation, which he respected, and I believe, wanted to surpass. Also, that since Merry had already been damaged beyond repair, it would be repetitive (not to mention reducing the impact) to do such a thing again.

Kkck is entitled to his opinion, and there's no way of saying he couldn't somehow be right along the way. From what I can see, all he's suggesting that there could be a possibility of the Sunny being damaged beyond repair to prove the terror of the New World. Is it likely? God knows, Oda has never been someone I can predict. However, if such an event were to occur, Franky would undoubtedly help the SH crew secure or build a new ship, even if he swore to give up his career as a shipwright. That would be proof of how much he cares for the crew.

And neither person here has said anything about marketing being an issue. Schabrak is saying that Oda won't trash the Sunny just to get a new design in. And Kkck is saying that marketing won't affect any of Oda's decision.

Now, you may both smack me for butting in. <3 But no more jabs, kay?

undertoe
August 28, 2010, 12:22 PM
I wonder if Chopper will stay the doctor for the SH crew. I'd personally like to see them get a new doctor because it would be interesting somehow. I'm sure Oda could use his storytelling magician powers to make it interesting and worthwhile. [/kkck]

Schabrak
August 28, 2010, 12:57 PM
... are you completely out of your mind? Without any attention to be funny. How would that make sense, with Chopper training to be a professional doctor for two years, a time the Mugiwaras proabably wont even be in the New World? Why would he give up on his greatest wish?

kkck
August 28, 2010, 01:51 PM
I wonder if Chopper will stay the doctor for the SH crew. I'd personally like to see them get a new doctor because it would be interesting somehow. I'm sure Oda could use his storytelling magician powers to make it interesting and worthwhile. [/kkck]

I really doubt that, I don't see chopper quit the doctor position anymore than I see ussop quitting his sniper job. I'd like to see chopper being a more active fighter though.

undertoe
August 29, 2010, 04:41 PM
Apparently you completely missed the point.

The SHs losing the Thousand Sunny is just as ridiculous and pointless as what I just proposed.

Skyrius
August 29, 2010, 09:05 PM
Oy oy oy oy. I thought we deviated from that course of action. ....Oy.

(Un?)fortunately, there is one point that stands out in all this. Ridiculous and sometimes pointless events that bounce back with the force of an angry loaded slinky tends to be Oda's forte, so who knows?

Poneglyph420
August 29, 2010, 11:17 PM
This is highly amusing.. If some have convinced themselves that the loss of the Sunny Go is a likely possibility, fine. And if "Others" are as equally certain it's not fine.

Since were all not Oda and this is all a matter of opinion.. I hope to see more of the heavily opinionated banter continue.. It's fun to watch....

But if anything is possible I'd like to see the Sunny Go do long division and work on it's poetry... Such an uncultured ship would never make it to Raftel...

Oh yeah.. The Sunny Go is crying right now all this has hurt it's feelings..

kkck
August 29, 2010, 11:20 PM
What surprises me is how personal some people seem to have taken this. It's as if even attempting to discuss the possibility of an absurdly strong pirate or freak weather phenomenon destroying the sunny in its tracks is a sort of sin or at least entitled people to serious bashing.

kidopitz27
August 30, 2010, 12:08 AM
i think it will be destroyed by px kuma and when the SH arrives Franky will fix it from the blueprints he saw in vegapunks lab and Sunny go will be like in training too and have a super upgrade

Poneglyph420
August 30, 2010, 01:17 AM
I kinda like what Kido is saying above here. I for sure see the Sunny Go undergoing modifications and repairs. I had almost forgotten that Kuma could likely have come to destroy the Sunny Go. But I'd imagine if he did.. He'd do a damn good job..
Likely good enough to put the Sunny Go out of business. Unless Kuma still is somehow independent from the PX-0 "Transformation"..... (That's another story..)

I see the Sunny Go getting beaten and battered on it's way from "Paradise" to the peril of the NW and Beyond (?). But one way or another I see the keel remaining in tact and Sunny becoming the Dream Ship of a "new era" so to speak...

I really love the Idea of new upgrades and the missing Soldier Dock #4.. Which if I remember Franky said he'd make a weapon... Just imagine what he will come up with now....

MaiSiaoSiao
September 06, 2010, 07:32 PM
Most probably yes.
Cause in Water 7 they keep stressing that the Oro JackSon was made fom the same wood as Sunny Go...And it was the only ship that sails the entire world.
And lets say IF Sunny Go were to sink at some point(i hope not),then it would only mean two things.
1.Franky isn't as good as Oda portrayed him to be.
2.The part where Oro JackSon was the best ship was just something Oda wants us to believe.

NoLimit89
September 07, 2010, 02:38 AM
Of course Sunny would make it all the way through the grandline. It's tied into Franky's dream of building a dreamship that would sail to the end of the grandline. It's also foreshadowed when Franky said that he believes by that time, the ship would be worn out and broken but in his mind, it would be the most "shining" ship ever. Also, it's made out of adam's wood, the same material as Gol D. Roger's ship.

llamapie
September 07, 2010, 03:50 AM
Yup.

I think Thousand Sunny unlike Going Merry will evolve throughout the manga... like them, it will become more powerful as we go on.

That is because we have a genius carpenter on board, Franky:darn

ya it already has a shoop da whoop canon. Franky should be able to reinforce it so it can withstand everything better.

Bugzee
September 08, 2010, 05:53 PM
Yes. We're bound to see some upgrades and changes to the Sunny-Go but I don't think we'll see another ship completely. I hope not anyway. It's likely that the Sunny-Go will receive some damage in the NW but obviously Franky will be there to make the repairs and take advantage of the situation to improve Sunny as much as possible. :thumbs

MihawkAce
October 26, 2010, 12:06 PM
Of course sunny will make it trough at the end it probably wont look the same as it does now but thats gonna be because the upgrades franky is gonna do to sunny but at the end sunny will still be there.

TheProtege
October 26, 2010, 12:29 PM
If anything I feeel likt the sunny will get upgraded, but as far as ot being replaced?...certainly not. The sunny makin it to the end of the grandline coincides with Franky's dream

cno
November 04, 2010, 05:08 PM
Yes, The Going Merry made it through the majority of the first half of OP. I expect Franky to not have to construct another ship for the SH's. Like it has been said before, perhaps the Thousand Sunny will get upgrades, but an entire new ship will not be on the way.

R3D
November 05, 2010, 03:28 AM
Thousand sunny will get upgrades but i hope they upgrade the lions head though cuz it doesnt look cool =/

matzik1212
November 06, 2010, 02:49 PM
Thousand sunny will get upgrades but i hope they upgrade the lions head though cuz it doesnt look cool =/

are you kidding?...i think sunny is perfect the way it is :amuse i like everything about it 'cause i think is a ship that fits the SH's the best and the lion head is the part i like the most..i think it gives a happy feeling :eyeroll:amuse
about the question if sunny will make it through the GL...hell yes :D..i totally refuse to see the SH's in another ship and now i'm sure that franky did a very good job upgrading it.... speaking of which i can't wait to see the new weapons ..i'm sure it's something never seen before at any ship:XD