PDA

View Full Version : Review One Piece 597 review...

benelori
August 26, 2010, 10:42 AM
Hello Mangahelpers and One Piece fans! It’s great to be here after long planning and thinking about whether I should stick my(actually Orochimaru’s) ugly face here.:D For those who don't know me, I review Naruto as well, and I thought One Piece reviews could work, too, since I read it, I like it, reviews are rare here, and in the end…why not? Especially since we’re before a probably major change.

Please try to bare with me, I’m a noob at One Piece, well I kinda don’t know the story as detailed as I know Naruto. But before we get rollin’ let’s have a round of applause for the guys at Binktopia, who were kind enough to provide the chapter for us this week as well.
http://a.imageshack.us/img137/213/op01f.png
The title is a bunch of numbers and letters:blink, which at first sight don’t have any meaning, especially since 3D is crossed out, so even if there was a meaning that part doesn’t hold any.
And even at second sight, there’s no real change, but that’s the entire point about it. Luffy pulled a stunt after he recovered a bit, and he announced the beginning of the new world, by ringing those bells and by showing no hesitation of infiltrating a Marine facility. That was a message for the entire world, but all that was meant to cover up the real message, which is 2Y.
http://a.imageshack.us/img820/5915/op011.png
As said a little earlier, the original message was covered by another one, which was destined for the whole world, pirates and marines as well. We can see that on the cover there are the two most influential pirates ever in recorded history, Gol D Roger, and Edward Newgate. This cover is symbolic as it represents the past ages, but it emphasizes on the legacy they left as well.

Roger was the one that created the golden age of piracy, by letting the world know that his treasure exists and the One Piece is out there. Whitebeard was the one that broke the balance of powers in the world and left both World Government and the pirate world in disarray.
His death served as a beginning to the march towards the New World.

It’s really great to see them again, and I’m looking forward to the moment where I can put Luffy there as well. He would fit in just perfectly, cuz I would put him before Roger, because Whitebeard was great, but not as great as Roger, but Luffy will surpass both, so in reverse order of their height. But the journey is long…
http://a.imageshack.us/img839/5506/op02.png
…and indeed the crew of the Strawhat Pirates realized this as well. As we saw most members last chapter as they got their own masters and fields where they could improve, the last ones remaining are Zoro and Luffy.
Zoro is shown in a very humiliating and not Zoro-like position, as he begs Mihawk for guidance and training. This is very surprising, because Zoro is the representation of the samurai philosophy in the manga as I noticed throughout the story. Even if the humiliation is considerable, Mihawk notes that this attitude is for someone else, which is indeed an interpretation of the master-servant loyalty of the samurai way.

Let’s see how we got here though. Zoro as the rest of the crew were sent flying after they attacked the Tenryuubito and since then they are struggling for survival. Seeing Luffy’s message every member decided to stay where they are and improve themselves, in order to grow strong enough to face the dangers of the New World.

The 2Y as Zoro explains us means that they would meet after two years, not 3 days as it was before. That was the meaning of the message and it also meant that getting stronger is a requirement for them to be able to face each other.

Considering what Mihawk said earlier the picture is getting clearer, but let’s not forget something here…
http://a.imageshack.us/img72/8830/op04.png
Training to be stronger also means to aim to defeat the strongest and Zoro’s goal is Mihawk one of the remaining Shichibukai. This is a part of the tough journey I mentioned earlier, as the power of the Shichibukai is one of the main forces that will oppose them in the upcoming adventure.

The gaze, the determination, speaks to us about the strong bond of friendship all these people share. This bond ties them together even when they are apart from each other, and thanks to that, they understand each other and act like a real team.

But this team has a center, which has the power of keeping all these people together…
http://a.imageshack.us/img441/8397/op1011.png
…Captain Luffy, who has the power of D in him, whatever that means:blink. As captain his duty of getting stronger is more important than everybody else, and he is taken in as an apprentice by the legendary Silvers Rayleigh, who served on the Pirate King’s ship as first mate, which meant that he was the right hand of Roger.

But before we continue, let us take a break to admire the landscape that is presented to us. This is what makes One Piece epic, despite the many critics concerning the art. Oda has a fascinating style of manipulating foreground and background. His style can sometimes make us feel that he is overreacting, but in fact he just brings to reader what’s important and shows it in that fashion.

This time it’s a landscape like many others, fascinating and a jewel of Oda’s imagination. The rich environment makes the reader more drawn to the adventure side of the story, and just the adventure, not the characters or plot, or whatever. Just the adventure, and by drawing something like this, it truly feels that the word epic is the one and only word for the feeling the readers get.

Captain Luffy had little upgrades in the firepower of his moves. He just pumped up his gears, but that meant taking his body to its limits, and he invented new moves and implemented them in different situations. So what could he possibly develop now that his Devil Fruit given powers are fully utilized? Well obviously a power not related to his GomuGomu ability…Haki.

Haki was shown quite a few times during the manga, and it had all sorts of enhancing effects everything culminating with the Sovereign’s Haki, which displays control over people’s actions.

Rayleight is one of the few pirates that can use Haki very effectively and can use all the differen variations of it. Serving for the Pirate King must’ve been really hard, so of course he had to be very powerful to be alive in these days.
He begins his explanation, by mentioning the first two types of Haki that are used especially in combat: Color of Observation and Color of Armaments. The first one as the name says enhances observation and has the effects that Coby displayed after the battle at Marine HQ, and that means sensing and predicting enemy movements. This type was known as Mantra so it’s not the first time we meet it, and Luffy remembers it as well.
The second enhances combat, and it stands for a thin layer of armor. Amazons have their arrows imbued in this type of Haki that’s why they have such power of destruction. The most important feat though is that it can injure even a Logia type DF user, which is great advantage as the most powerful enemies have that kind of power. This has been also seen againt Akainu and Kizaru, so it’s not a surprise, but Oda uses this moment to show Luffy’s next fights, so this explanation also serves as foreshadowing:Aokiji and Smoker.
http://a.imageshack.us/img829/4880/op1617.png
The last type is Sovereign Haki or the Color of the Conquerer, which cannot be trained as control over this power is won by personal growth and evolution of ones spirit. With that Rayleigh ends the explanation and knocks out the beast that had been trying to attack him, showing what kind of effect does this last type have on the weak minded.

With that the introduction has been dealt with, all that awaits is the training itself. Rayleigh promises that it won’t be an easy training, but fortunately Luffy is not the type to back off from challenges, especially when it involves surviving on the island, basically a great adventure that will be make his friends envious:p.
http://a.imageshack.us/img267/332/op19.png

Quick summary/Opinions
As expected from Oda the flow of the story is smooth there are no bumps, but the plot development is quite insignificant. These last chapters were just a setup for this training arc, and for the reunion, so even if the plot didn’t advance much, the pace was steady and calm.
There weren’t individual character developments either, each character was shown to have earned their master’s trust and that they will receive training, though the bond they share is impressive, even more since they are acting like a team even when there are worlds between them.

A valuable element of the story is the humor, which this time it focuses around Luffy and his unique and sometimes childish/innocent attitude. It has great effect in relaxing the story, and building it up steadily towards a twist.

The art…I’m personally not a fan of Oda’s art, but my mark doesn’t reflect my personal tastesm it’s more like I can recognize which panels pages are brilliant in comparison to others, but I’m pleasantly surprised whenever I see a new character design or a beautiful landscape.

All in all, the chapter is a solid 8/10, because nothing much happens, but considering that this is transition period of the story it’s actually quite a high mark.

Predictions/Want to happen

I want to see the training arc. I don’t really care about the effects of a timeskip or what timeskip did to other mangas etc….I love training arcs, end of story, but unfortunately this 4 week break kinda looks like a timeskip. But who knows, hy hopes are high even if I know that Oda has a steady pace of the story and kinda cuts out things and prefers to show them in middle of the action.

This is it. Thank you for following my thoughts on the chapter, my observations, though I doubt I said something new and spectacular. I feel I was a bit clumsy with this review, so I really need to get my knowledge of the story upgraded, so that next time I could show off with a better review.
Oh yeah…if you have any special recommendations about what to add to the review, maybe other sections, pics etc…well basically I welcome all suggestions and critics, as they are helping me to improve. Enjoy the chapter, the review, and feel free to discuss it right here at benelori’s One Piece review!:cool
Mata ne!
http://a.imageshack.us/img405/1302/op191.png

chess4
August 26, 2010, 01:12 PM
Great review.....I hope u keep doing them

Spaceman-Spiff
August 26, 2010, 01:40 PM
I originally disliked the idea of a time skip for OP, cause the crew will be so much behind compared to the other supernovas. But maybe Oda-sensei wants to establish a more dangerous new world within 2 years. Maybe in 2 years Blackbeard will show his domination in the new world.

I don't think a 2-year long training arc will be interesting. Probably glimpse of it will be shown as flashbacks later on.

bopnoh10
August 26, 2010, 03:15 PM
A few questions/comments:
A time skip would allow Oda to re-visit the training later on, but we'll see...

One character that I am confused about is Brooke... what the hell is he doing to get stronger?

Finally, the explanation of the color of observation haki and the specific discussion on how individuals tend to prefer and train one type over the others, leads me to believe that Roger's "hearing/seeing all things" was his complete mastery of the color of observation

Xman
August 26, 2010, 07:39 PM
overall, I would love to see the improvement, what's the upgrades they gained after this 2 years. I don't mind some pages about how they got to this point but to fully focused on what exactly happened through these 2 years, its gonna take pretty long, even if he made like 2 characters each chapter training summery.

some of the character its kinda obvious what kind of things they are gonna go through based on predicted improvements they are going to gain after these 2 years. But, incase of surprisingly stuff, i would really love to know how they got to that point,
For example:
Brooke as mentioned above, what kind of stuff he would gain after 2 years? music-based-attacks ? sword tech. ? movement tech "since he is super light" ?

Usopp, if he grew some balls and become a bad ass, its kinda obvious how... weapon-upgrade ? well, Oda still didn't fully explain how he got his weapon the one we know for now..

Chopper, if its medical thing, you know the rest... if its what i wrote in another thread about the awakened zoan thing "human", thats really interesting

Nami... weather items o.o?

Sanji, more ass kicking stuff ... I hope >.>

Zoro.... more practice ?

Franky, i won't bother with details

Robin, she is the one i'm interested, unless its history thing, then meh, but if what I also mentioned in another thread regarding the growing multiple bodies and teleport "well, she can fly now, so... "

Luffy, this chapter talks about itself.

benelori
August 27, 2010, 04:15 PM
Great review.....I hope u keep doing them

Thanks, I hope so, too...it really depends on my time...
[hr]

I originally disliked the idea of a time skip for OP, cause the crew will be so much behind compared to the other supernovas. But maybe Oda-sensei wants to establish a more dangerous new world within 2 years. Maybe in 2 years Blackbeard will show his domination in the new world.

I don't think a 2-year long training arc will be interesting. Probably glimpse of it will be shown as flashbacks later on.

I don't think they would be so far behind...actually with newly acquired abilities, and the allies they have ranging from Shichibukai, to ex legends, and one Yonkou etc...I think they can catch up really fast...

I don't think BB will dominate the world...if his threat would rise, then I think the world might unite to defeat him, and dealing with the Marines, Shichibukai, Yonkou and Supernovas would be too much even for him IMO
[hr]

A few questions/comments:
A time skip would allow Oda to re-visit the training later on, but we'll see...

One character that I am confused about is Brooke... what the hell is he doing to get stronger?

Finally, the explanation of the color of observation haki and the specific discussion on how individuals tend to prefer and train one type over the others, leads me to believe that Roger's "hearing/seeing all things" was his complete mastery of the color of observation

Great comments...I will definitely keep them in mind...about Brooke...that's a good question:darn...but there will be 4 weeks until the next chapter, so during that time I might figure something out, if somebody won't before me
[hr]

overall, I would love to see the improvement, what's the upgrades they gained after this 2 years. I don't mind some pages about how they got to this point but to fully focused on what exactly happened through these 2 years, its gonna take pretty long, even if he made like 2 characters each chapter training summery.

some of the character its kinda obvious what kind of things they are gonna go through based on predicted improvements they are going to gain after these 2 years. But, incase of surprisingly stuff, i would really love to know how they got to that point,
For example:
Brooke as mentioned above, what kind of stuff he would gain after 2 years? music-based-attacks ? sword tech. ? movement tech "since he is super light" ?

Usopp, if he grew some balls and become a bad ass, its kinda obvious how... weapon-upgrade ? well, Oda still didn't fully explain how he got his weapon the one we know for now..

Chopper, if its medical thing, you know the rest... if its what i wrote in another thread about the awakened zoan thing "human", thats really interesting

Nami... weather items o.o?

Sanji, more ass kicking stuff ... I hope >.>

Zoro.... more practice ?

Franky, i won't bother with details

Robin, she is the one i'm interested, unless its history thing, then meh, but if what I also mentioned in another thread regarding the growing multiple bodies and teleport "well, she can fly now, so... "

I would like to comment on a few characters...first is Sogeking:D...there is a sniper in BB's team, so Oda might construct the Strawhat crew to be able to beat BB crew...and we saw what can that sniper do:o...about weapon upgrades...maybe something on his rifle that would allow him to shoot powerful bullets...Logia DF are still out there, so some Haki bullets would be pretty useful...

Nami...I think she will increase the range of the weather phenomenons she will control...studying weather will enable her to understand these things better, so she will have great contributions in fight and in navigating the ship

And Robin...history is pretty important in this manga, since it seems that the Tenryuubito are hiding something dreadful, that's why Dragon and co. exist in the first place...so knowing that history or receiving clues about places that might reveal more information will be indeed useful, since it might lead them to One Piece
[hr]
Thank you for your contribution and appreciation, enjoy the discussion, because we definitely have time:D

PS: Brooke could sing...but those songs would improve ally morale and scare the shit out of enemies, or maybe making them unwilling to fight anymore...

bopnoh10
August 27, 2010, 09:03 PM

Would it be possible for you to find and paste what you wrote in the other threads as I'm curious to read about your views.

In addition, I believe that Ussop will gain a more powerful arsenal of ammunition. Remember that he fires all different types of things from sneezing powder to spicy pepper bombs to explosions... I think these things (http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/93580674/20) will improve it. He will also get a better range and get faster at firing. http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/93580674/20

Xman
August 27, 2010, 10:56 PM
This a post about Usopp's Kabuto
http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2049635&postcount=579

Yeah, I meant Kabuto, since we are talking about the weapon, I saw Movie 10 the other day,
he used another element when he shot with kabuto and I think they showed Gear 2nd before they even show it in the Manga, I think that was in Movie 7. So I think we will something upgraded in regards of Kabuto.

and the image of "multiple" Robin makes me... :Q______________________

I know i'm throwing random thoughts about that... I got no one else to talk about One Piece ._.
my One Piece friend went back to his home D:

About Chopper's Upgrade
http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2049302&postcount=559

what if... "if"

chopper power up is to awaken the zoan type in this case "human" form, then he would become the fully human ... i'm just saying cause i know 20% of what we said will become true, in regards the power up, cause sometimes i feel Oda is reading OP forums and comes up with something completely shocking o.o

About the outfit changing
http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2048943&postcount=524

About the changing outfit/look,
Think of it as other shounen manga, I'm sure there will be a change in outfit/look but "improved", think of naruto's change after the 2y and half or something, i think i remember something like this happened in dragon ball ?

Little prediction
http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2047954&postcount=471

My prediction for the next chapters:

He will show luffy at 1st, then luffy will go "again" in journey to gather his crew member through the help of the people he meets.

Another thing I noticed while re-reading the whole arc thing, when buggy met his old crew again, he received a letter from the government, I dunno but I would assume its an offer to replace the missing spots of Shi's ??

Robin power-up
http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2047985&postcount=479

"Well, in regards of Robin, I was talking with friend about fruits and stuff. The thing is, Robin can generate any part of her body to any place, so we could assume that she can generate her whole body "multiple" Robin ???
Also, she could generate another whole body and teleport to that part and dissolve the starting body??

Usopp, he just need to grow some balls o.o

Sanji... I just cheer for the underdog D:"

Time Skip of Gold Rogor
http://mangahelpers.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2047722

I'm not sure about this, if its been mention before, but the time skip had happened with Gold's crew, it was mentioned in chapter 0 or something. when Gold disappeared for a year or 2. and I think i read somewhere that Luffy is like "taking gold's steps" with the path he took from east blue to the new world, skypiea thingy, w/e.

the point is, DAMN YOU ODA with the 4 weeks break D:
now I have to suffer reading naruto and bleach without ending the weekly reading with OP ; ;

benelori
August 29, 2010, 12:19 PM
Would it be possible for you to find and paste what you wrote in the other threads as I'm curious to read about your views.

In addition, I believe that Ussop will gain a more powerful arsenal of ammunition. Remember that he fires all different types of things from sneezing powder to spicy pepper bombs to explosions... I think these things (http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/93580674/20) will improve it. He will also get a better range and get faster at firing. http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/93580674/20

I agree with that, a sniper and an inventor type like Ussop definitely needs those uprgrades...
Also I don't know if I'm crossing the borders of the manga now, but we know that snipers are elite stealth combatants, so could it be that he could be so stealthy that he could remain undetected even by Color of Observation?
[hr]

This a post about Usopp's Kabuto
http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2049635&postcount=579

About Chopper's Upgrade
http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2049302&postcount=559

About the outfit changing
http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2048943&postcount=524

Little prediction
http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2047954&postcount=471

Robin power-up
http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2047985&postcount=479

Time Skip of Gold Rogor
http://mangahelpers.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2047722

These are very good ideas, I will definitely keep them in mind...
About the time skip...unfortunately the 4 week break kinda symbolizes the timeskip, but could it be that this break serves for Oda to create an epic Gaiden of Roger's life, or maybe WB's? A gaiden about the past ages would be really welcomed IMO...

But I can't see why couldn't be a Shanks Gaiden for example...that would kinda tell the story of both ages, and it was Shanks who inspired Luffy to be a pirate in the first place, so I would see this very appropriate...

Organizized
August 30, 2010, 01:29 PM
About Usopp and his power-ups (even though it doesn't have much to do with this chapter); besides getting new ammo in form of Pop Green or the like, it's not impossible that he will be able to imbue his projectiles with haki (color of armaments). I mean, let's face it: if he's going to become the true Sniper King in the New World where most snipers are likely to use guns (Van Auger and Yasopp, for example), he's gonna need a much, much stronger and, above all faster weapon than his current Kabuto. Seriously, his strongest attack pre-timeskip is Firebird Star, which will barely scratch a decently strong fighter at this point of the story. Considering how strong regular arrows were after the Kuja imbued them with haki, his basic attack could actually be pretty damn strong if Usopp learned how to do that as well. Not to mention he's got no shot against DF users otherwise.

Kuranzyan
September 10, 2010, 01:38 PM
Chopper is going to learn how to properly utilize his 'Monster Point' form, methinks. Some attacks of the same school that Sentoumaru used would do well for him. 'Ashigara Dokkoi' 'n stuff.

Zoro will develop more Asura related techniques. Perhaps the common two Haki colours aswell.

Sanji will learn an 'official' martial arts school from Ivankov. Again, common two haki colours.

Robin will discover more secrets about the history of the world from the revolutionary army, and perhaps improve on her physical capabilities, either evasion through Colour of Observation or durability through Colour of Armament. Face it, she may have a pretty useful and strong devil fruit ability, but if you land one hit on her it's pretty much over. She's frail and needs to work on that.

Brook... He's almost eighty years old, and pretty rusty, methinks. He needs to get back into shape. More of that awesome 'Hanauto Sancho --- Yahazugiri!' stuff needs to appear in the future.

Usopp... He's pretty strong as long as he puts his mind to it. All he needs is to find a means to improve on his ammunition, and if possible, start toting some new stuff. Nothing beats ye olde flintlocke. Maybe a medium-sized handcannon would even be more badass.

Nami... She's already one of the best navigators in the world, nothing to improve there. She's also pretty powerful physically if she puts her mind to it (ie, smacking sense into Luffy) so if she starts to utilize that potential for other goals... Throw in a few other weather related collectibles and she's up her game.

Luffy, learning to control all three colors of Haki. That's all there is for him at this point.

Franky needs to upgrade his cyborg characteristics, maybe even completely convert his body to a sentient Pacifista. Kuma proved to be pretty much the unstoppable force on both Thriller Bark and on Shabondy Archipelago. It all but screams Franky's future potential, methinks.

enraI
September 13, 2010, 08:38 PM
I would love for a time skip because i wanna be surprise when they go into action
and besides i wanna see them back together. I cant wait to see Sanji tho