PDA

View Full Version : About the break...

undertoe
August 26, 2010, 11:27 AM
I know it is a four-week break, but does that mean that we'll have four weeks of NO One Piece or does it mean that the next chapter will be out on the fourth week?

Basically, is the next chapter coming out four weeks from now or five weeks from now?

Uriel
August 26, 2010, 11:57 AM
Four weeks since the relase of the latest chapter.
September 25th, maybe even before.

Fox666
August 26, 2010, 01:55 PM
Well, "four weeks" mean "four publications".

It's sort of ambiguous when you think that there is an interval of 1 week beetween two publications. But of course they would refer a "week" as 1 publication.

undertoe
August 26, 2010, 02:03 PM
Right, but taking a break for one week means we won't see a chapter for two weeks. A two-week break would thus be no chapter until three weeks later and so on...

So a four-week break could easily mean that we won't see a chapter for five weeks.

Skyrius
August 26, 2010, 03:43 PM
The series resumes on the fourth issue of Shonen Jump (issue 42?), which means that there will be three issues from today with NO One Piece. The series will resume at the end of the fourth week, on the fourth issue of shonen jump to date.

EDIT: In other words, counting from today, there will be 4 weeks of no One Piece, since we're counting by Thursdays. This Thursday is chapter 597. Next Thursday is one week, next is two, next is three, which all don't have OP. However, from the third week to the fourth week is one more week. So even though it only misses three issues, it has a 4 week hiatus. I don't know if that was an adequate explanation. xD It's a bit confusing trying to explain.

Psyren Dante
August 26, 2010, 04:15 PM
I was thinking about this break. I understand that Oda is taking it to think more on the plot and minor details, to rest and spend some time with his family. Who wouldn't? But i wonder how this affects the anime. Will they slow the marineford arc even more? Because they are doing a great job at it right now, slowing it down and killing the mood. Will they add some filler after it's over? Or will they take a break too?

Skyrius
August 26, 2010, 04:26 PM
Well, Oda does have a new baby coming (anyone know if it's a boy or girl? Pure curiosity here) so I definitely don't hold it against him.

What I hope to see, and this is purely opinion, is filler for the Straw Hat crew. With Oda simply overseeing to make sure it doesn't clash with anything canon. I mean, depending on how he plans to do this time skip, if he doesn't want to show each member's personal training, letting the anime do that as filler would be entertaining, for me anyways.

Gats
August 26, 2010, 04:59 PM
We'll have a ton of fillers from the anime sooner or later, it's impossible to escape that. It is too close from the manga.

Xman
August 26, 2010, 05:08 PM
well, in regards of fillers, i dont remember seeing a filler that lasted for more than 5? 10 ?
and im pretty sure they will drop a falsh back "bomb" here and there, and its there are plenty of stuff they can make little bit longer

Poneglyph420
August 26, 2010, 05:47 PM
For sure this 4 week break (Which I think is 4 Releases of WSJ) is as much about Oda's personal affairs as prep. time for the coming nextlevelness.
I personally can't remember the last time OP was on a longer than 1 week break.. So this is clearly a deserved "vacation". I also think that the anime will have to hold us over until that time.. but please no more filler...

Skyrius
August 26, 2010, 07:53 PM
4 weeks, 3 issues of SJ.

But yeah, the anime doesn't get a break, and I honestly would prefer filler than slowing down the pacing of the canon story. The anime is already dangerously close, but letting the quality suffer because of that is the worse of the two. Besides, One Piece's fillers have never been too bad. I enjoyed most of them at least.

EDIT: Ok, One Piece will resume on issue 44 of Shounen Jump.

shouryuujo
August 31, 2010, 12:13 PM
at least it is not like berserk or hxh where the mangaka takes much longer and more often breaks ....

p1xel
August 31, 2010, 12:59 PM
One Piece is great,it deserves a break.You know,he needs a break too...
It will get even more epic:)
So just be patient,patient,patient...

tret16
August 31, 2010, 08:40 PM
ya it's much better for him to take a break then to get bored of doin the manga... so i think this break was needed so that it keeps it's quality.

Samui
September 01, 2010, 03:13 AM
Well, Oda does have a new baby coming (anyone know if it's a boy or girl? Pure curiosity here) so I definitely don't hold it against him.

What I hope to see, and this is purely opinion, is filler for the Straw Hat crew. With Oda simply overseeing to make sure it doesn't clash with anything canon. I mean, depending on how he plans to do this time skip, if he doesn't want to show each member's personal training, letting the anime do that as filler would be entertaining, for me anyways.
The baby was born several months ago, lol. I'm pretty sure that the "break" isn't really a break for Oda, he still probably needs to finish the new character designs, etc.

MihawkAce
September 01, 2010, 11:25 AM
why eichoro oda why , why do you torture us by makings us wait 4 weeks of no one piece T.T

Lord Rayleigh
September 01, 2010, 01:05 PM
why eichoro oda why , why do you torture us by makings us wait 4 weeks of no one piece T.T
To give you an amazing-unforgettable-fantastic-epic-awesome story for New World !

bellcrossage
September 01, 2010, 01:13 PM
Sorry but Oda deserves a break. I am happy that he's getting a long break after doing One Piece for over a decade.

Kaiten
September 01, 2010, 11:27 PM
The break is already killing me but if it means he has extra time for an extra epic start to part II, I'm all for it. I assume that is what the break is for, extra time to plan the opening arc.

Skyrius
September 01, 2010, 11:41 PM
It probably is XD As the mangaka of Liar Game put it on his blog, Oda's a crazy idiot who APPARENTLY only took one week to relax before getting back to work.

Of course, he didn't say any names, but what other mangakas are taking a 4 week break at this moment. >_> It's in one of the other threads.

Lord Rayleigh
September 02, 2010, 06:09 AM
It's normal that Oda takes time. Think about it, Oda must redraw each character after the 2 years timeskip. He must choose how they have evolved and how it has changed their appearance.

chess4
September 02, 2010, 06:15 AM
It's normal that Oda takes time. Think about it, Oda must redraw each character after the 2 years timeskip. He must choose how they have evolved and how it has changed their appearance.

i agree..... i dont mind a break. a lot of the older character will not change that much, but the younger one will. i think BB will have a much thinker beard.

Black Hawk
September 02, 2010, 02:19 PM
Special project to reopen ONE PIECE
ONE PIECE grand countdown start !!

Did someone know what happend with this? Is there are Infos about that? It´s about infos in the break. Is this true?

Josl
September 02, 2010, 04:01 PM
Special project to reopen ONE PIECE
ONE PIECE grand countdown start !!

Did someone know what happend with this? Is there are Infos about that? It´s about infos in the break. Is this true?

From Kewl:

The Japanese site calls it:
ONE PIECE再開への特別企画
4号連続で合計20000名にオリジナルグッズが当たるクイズも!!

They're giving like, 20,000 "One Piece Goods" to people for the 4 issues until OP comes back. So not really related to anything we care about.

So it is basically a desperate attempt to prevent the next 4 Jumps to be the worst selling WSJ ever. Buy the magazine and you might win something

Skyrius
September 02, 2010, 04:56 PM
Gosh, they're desperate aren't they XD

Well, I'll admit, the SJ lineup currently isn't the best in the world :S So I can't blame them for trying to beef up sales.

El-Thor
September 04, 2010, 02:31 AM
Issue 43 is the great return ! Can't wait !!

Why does WSJ in the US have to be like thousands of issues behind :(

deffkryz
September 04, 2010, 06:31 AM
hy does WSJ in the US have to be like thousands of issues behind :(

The TV show came first and was heavily crippled by 4kids, remember?

chess4
September 04, 2010, 06:41 AM

u 100% right. i like all of the big 3, but the reason one piece isnt big in the U.S. is because of the dubs. the dubs were awful. if another company could dub them, it would be sahit in the states.

El-Thor
September 04, 2010, 11:41 AM

Thankfully I don't, because I never watched the 4kids version :D

But thanks for the explanation :)

Uriel
September 04, 2010, 11:56 AM
So it is basically a desperate attempt to prevent the next 4 Jumps to be the worst selling WSJ ever. Buy the magazine and you might win something
I really want to know the difference in sales without One Piece. It's an interesting fact.

Skyrius
September 04, 2010, 08:19 PM
Two things. One, it's issue 44 on 9/27 (I know, I know T_T)

And also, the SJ over here in North America jumped straight to the Impel Down acr after Alabasta, which was months ago. I think it's actually almost caught up now. It can't be more than 2 weeks behind Japan, so it's no that bad.

rose
September 05, 2010, 04:02 AM
And also, the SJ over here in North America jumped straight to the Impel Down acr after Alabasta, which was months ago. I think it's actually almost caught up now. It can't be more than 2 weeks behind Japan, so it's no that bad.

The US Jump is at Marineford, the last issue I read (which I think was last month's) had through chapter 558 or so; it's behind, but not that badly.