PDA

View Full Version : How will Oda handle the timeskip?

Cizuz
August 26, 2010, 11:31 AM
I am actually really interested in this. Now that we know of the length of the timeskip and we know never to underestimate ODA, will be make a big leap? Or small jumps?

Will he do the classic timeskip, and next chapter will just show them all meeting up, and some chapters in the future will show flashbacks?

Will he do the gradual timeskip and each chapter will show 1-2 pages per strawhats progression like 3 month skips. I find this not so likely as it would take away from the effect of the huge change 2 years will make.

I want to know, and with the 3 week hiatus it's hard to tell. I wonder how much the physical appearance of any of the strawhats will change. How strong will ussop get? Or will he still be the weakest in comparison, how will they all power up? Can luffy even think of any new ways to stretch his devil fruit like the way with gear third?

I know this 3 week hiatus is for Oda to collect and design, and I can not wait.

Discuss!

kkck
August 26, 2010, 12:02 PM
This are the things that IMO will come of the timeskip:

1.- New character designs. Most significant one will be ussop IMO who will have develop a body physique similar to that of his father and along with that significantly improved physical capacities. I think'd he'll show a degree of super strength. His kabuto will show a significant change too. It will be improved. I have high hopes that he will start using stars the size of cannon balls and he'll have no issues whatsoever carrying several of them in one hand. Luffy will also have a more toned up body and perhaps a few more scars. Zoro probably too. Sanji will turn into something like grey from FT except that he will unconsciously suddenly put on women's cloth(lol). Chopper will also become more muscular and perhaps show a more mature form in his hybrid form.

2.- I think we will see the strawhats end their trainings and from then we will see each of them travel to SA and meet up there. Perhaps zoro will get lost.

3.- Strawhats will no longer be considered rookies or supernova. If I do recall, ace was able to fight on par with jimbei even though he was extremely young. I think fighting people of that caliber will be something which is no longer out of the strawhats reach. At least, I think each of them will be capable of taking a pacifista on their own (at least the top 3 should manage that much)

tret16
August 29, 2010, 11:20 PM
1. I got to admit, i'm more interrested in seeing how Usopp is goin to turn out. Like i have said before in a previews thread, all that fat has got to go somewhere, and i think that it's goin to play a big part in his muscle mass. I think that's the main reason why Oda made it a point to make him fat right before the timeskip and then also made a point to make Usopp say that he was goin to workout to get stronger. So i'm ready to see a much more buff Usopp and also like kkck said, more heavy duty shots and also new weapon to go along with those shots.

2. The way i see Oda getting the crew back together is that they will infact all meet up a SA and then find out by the ones guarding the ship that they could stop them from taking the ship. This will lay a good ground for the crew to get reaquinted and also get there names noticed once again after such a long abscence from the marnes eyes.

3. I believe that throughout the entire ordeal of getting there ship back, we are goin to see bits and pieces of each strawhats training which i think is what Oda needs time to think about...

kidopitz27
August 29, 2010, 11:52 PM
ussop will be like his father not too fat though and i hope ussop will have dreadlocks under his handkerchief hat that would make him look cool with his big guns (i watch OP strong world and ussop attack turns into dragons and phoenixes thats too cool )

zoro i think will have long hair (i really wish him to have one) more scars from his training

chopper will create new medicine and maybe a new way to control his monster form and create bullets for ussop like sleeping bullets or laughing bullets

nami be like in OP strong world just by a glance she knows if there is a storm coming maybe new gadgets to harness the weather

robin will learn something about the reason why the revolutionary is formed maybe from dragon himself (maybe the revolutionaries know the location of what robin is looking for) maybe that is why the WG is looking for them (that why the CP9 want robin)

well for brooke i wish he can become like in OP strong world using his sword as a bow for his violin to induce a sleeping tone to the enemies (like he can make a tone to power up his nakamas)

franky well a super cyborg with lots and lots of weapons and new information about ships

lsanji (poor sanji no girls for 2 years) that will make him crazy when sanji will see robin and nami

luffy on the other hand will be stronger and maybe he will incorporate his haki on his gears maybe we will see a higher gears after that 2 years

acurabot
August 30, 2010, 12:00 AM
1. It will show people thanking their respective mentors and saying stuff like "thanks to you, i'm now 100x stronger then before. wait for me guys" as they head out to SA.

OR

2. Sanji will arrive first and wait for the rest. Become lovey dovey again when he sees Nami and Robin again. Chopper will cry and say his not sad. Zorro will be last cos he got lost again. So basically, someone will arrive first, wait for the others and show their appearances. Chapter will end with last person arriving and setting out to sea as the SH.

I hope it'd be a double manga. fingers crossed

Lord Rayleigh
August 30, 2010, 05:51 AM
We can also think that after this 2-year timeskip, the time will flow quicker than before between each arc/travel. Even if Oda will not make another major timeskip, I think that when Luffy will become Pirate King, he will be more than 19.

Dice
August 30, 2010, 07:54 AM
Well he should be around 20 after the timeskip since they were traveling for quite some time. But that's also one of the problems I facing with the timeskip.
Wasn't Luffy supposed to beat Roger somehow? If Luffy's journey takes longer than Roger's he lost in this aspect and so he didn't surpass him but maybe that's just what Oda's trying to accomplish. Roger as a living legend...forever. Or maybe we here that Roger actually had such a timeout like the Straw Hats are having now. Another possiblity would be that Roger was a beast before starting his journey but for all we know he could be have been weak compared to the end of his journey despite his advantage in age.

kkck
August 30, 2010, 08:47 AM
Well he should be around 20 after the timeskip since they were traveling for quite some time. But that's also one of the problems I facing with the timeskip.
Wasn't Luffy supposed to beat Roger somehow? If Luffy's journey takes longer than Roger's he lost in this aspect and so he didn't surpass him but maybe that's just what Oda's trying to accomplish. Roger as a living legend...forever. Or maybe we here that Roger actually had such a timeout like the Straw Hats are having now. Another possiblity would be that Roger was a beast before starting his journey but for all we know he could be have been weak compared to the end of his journey despite his advantage in age.

That is not quite the case. In fact, it could not be further from the truth. Roger was roughly the same age as WB and WB was stated to be in his 70s when he died during the war. That means roger was in his 50s when he became the pirate king. On top of that, we have a reference that roger was a rookie of sorts in brook's time.
http://www.cloudmanga.com/One_Piece/506/#9
In other words, it took roger at least 30 years of traveling to become the pirate king.

Uriel
August 30, 2010, 10:37 AM
I think Oda is smart...I doubt we will see a progression or an instant flashback. Those will occur in action, when they fight someone really strong and they need to take out their triumph card.
I'm expecting that we wont see them together until the end of the next chapter, and we will see first bites of the world in 2 years. Mugiwaras will be all in cloaks that cover them all, only to take them out when they are on the Thousand Sunny. <3

Dice
August 30, 2010, 02:09 PM
That is not quite the case. In fact, it could not be further from the truth. Roger was roughly the same age as WB and WB was stated to be in his 70s when he died during the war. That means roger was in his 50s when he became the pirate king. On top of that, we have a reference that roger was a rookie of sorts in brook's time.
http://www.cloudmanga.com/One_Piece/506/#9
In other words, it took roger at least 30 years of traveling to become the pirate king.

Ohh I thought I read that he conquered the grandline in three years. I've interpreted the rookie-statement of Brooke that he was just a beginner that time and Brooke didn't get to know what happend afterwards. But right now I got to say that there is a problem in my thinking and that's probably the three years statement...don't where I got that from...and I'm to busy to look but I thought something along those line has bee said in the manga.
If Roger needed more time than three years one of my mainpoints against the timeskip would be gone and that would be a good thing :D

Harlock
August 30, 2010, 02:13 PM
I think that Oda will show us the last minutes of training from each character and then he will set them off to the journey to SA,thats because all of them,or maybe almost all of them are quite distant from there....I dont think that he will make any chapters from in the training but ,it will tell us what kind of training everyone did through battles like flashbacks.....

kkck
August 30, 2010, 02:16 PM
Well, roger's final voyage, the one where he actually sailed from one end of the grand line to the other, did take 3-4 years. Thing is, before that voyage roger was hardly a rookie, I would think by then he was already incredibly infamous. Basically, luffy right now is trying to become the pirate king even though his current power level is not above that of cannon fodder while at the time roger started his final voyage he already had roughly 30 years of experience as a pirate. There is a huge difference here.

Skyrius
August 31, 2010, 12:38 AM
That's true. Which is also why I think that, instead of toppling Roger's legacy, Luffy's just going to create his own. It certainly suits him better XD

On the matter of the time skip though, I honestly have more theories than I can count. However, I trust Oda to show up every single one of them. I've always loved One Piece from the moment I picked it up, and I don't think that'll change, time skip or not.

Sannom
August 31, 2010, 02:46 PM
Wasn't Luffy supposed to beat Roger somehow? If Luffy's journey takes longer than Roger's he lost in this aspect and so he didn't surpass him but maybe that's just what Oda's trying to accomplish.

Didn't Rayleigh imply that Roger and his crew did too much too quickly though? That Luffy and his crew should take it slowly, attheir own pace, in order to perhaps reach different conclusions and learn more in their journey?

As for the timeskip, I think the most important changements will be in the world around the crew than amond the crew itself. Changements in the command chain of the Marines, a new generation is rising to power both in the Marines and among the pirates, new Shishibukai are appearing, etc. Big, big shifts all around.

k-dom
August 31, 2010, 03:37 PM
I think I would like a quick training chapter with almost no dialog, but with 9 characters that will be difficult to handle, so there will probably won't be any.
Also let's not forget that there is not only the Strawhat, we need to learn what the world has become in 2 years : Shichibukai, Blackbeard, Supernovas, Marines... There is place for another chapter with that.
And what happened on the thousand sunny, the reaction of Vivi to the disappearance of her friends. All this thing should be shown before the big moment : the crew reunion and the depart to Fishman island

abc1233
August 31, 2010, 05:35 PM
1. I got to admit, i'm more interrested in seeing how Usopp is goin to turn out. Like i have said before in a previews thread,all that fat has got to go somewhere, and i think that it's goin to play a big part in his muscle mass. I think that's the main reason why Oda made it a point to make him fat right before the timeskip and then also made a point to make Usopp say that he was goin to workout to get stronger. So i'm ready to see a much more buff Usopp and also like kkck said, more heavy duty shots and also new weapon to go along with those shots.

2. The way i see Oda getting the crew back together is that they will infact all meet up a SA and then find out by the ones guarding the ship that they could stop them from taking the ship. This will lay a good ground for the crew to get reaquinted and also get there names noticed once again after such a long abscence from the marnes eyes.

3. I believe that throughout the entire ordeal of getting there ship back, we are goin to see bits and pieces of each strawhats training which i think is what Oda needs time to think about...

you do know that fat can't get converted into protein (or muscle), don't you?

tret16
August 31, 2010, 08:35 PM
you do know that fat can't get converted into protein (or muscle), don't you?

and you do know that you need water to be able to form muscle and fat has a hell of alot of muscle... i know alot about working out and muscle building. can we please stay on subject instead of trying to nit pick at small details that most people don't know a thing about please...

kkck
August 31, 2010, 09:11 PM
http://www.cloudmanga.com/Wanted_Oda_Eiichiro_Tanpenshu/4/
I think we might see the country of wano. Here is what it looked like 500 years ago. It'd be interesting if more of ryuma's life is revealed.

Dark_Stryker
August 31, 2010, 10:33 PM
I think that it'll be nice to see everyone return back in the order they left Shabondy. Zoro was the first to leave i think so he'll b the fist to come back and wait for the rest of the crew. Then one by one they all come back in the order they left with Luffy being the last member to join up.

kkck
August 31, 2010, 10:40 PM
I think zoro will be the first to leave for shanbody due to finishing his training early and also be the first one there but in turn he will have left for SA 6 months before the deadline.

abc1233
September 01, 2010, 06:39 AM
and you do know that you need water to be able to form muscle and fat has a hell of alot of muscle... i know alot about working out and muscle building. can we please stay on subject instead of trying to nit pick at small details that most people don't know a thing about please...

How the hell does fat contain a lot of muscle, they're 2 completely different things. You may know a bit about working out but you evidently don't know a lot about human biology. You do need water to form muscle but you also need proteins and the source comes from drinking water not fat. Whatever, cba to argue further.

Cizuz
September 01, 2010, 09:41 AM
How the hell does fat contain a lot of muscle, they're 2 completely different things. You may know a bit about working out but you evidently don't know a lot about human biology. You do need water to form muscle but you also need proteins and the source comes from drinking water not fat. Whatever, cba to argue further.
Fat doesn't form muscle like many people think, however it aids in the formation of muscle in two ways. It provides the body with more weight, AKA more stress on muscles and more work is done for the same weight training, and two it keeps heat in like insulation, causing you to sweat more and oddly muscles need heat to heal at a more rapid rate.

When you work out, you muscle literally rips leaving small bands of empty rips, what happens here is your body then repairs that area by filling those areas in with more muscle(Which needs actual protein and nutrients to grow) and that's actually how muscle grows. You damage muscle, causing small openings or rips which your body fills with new muscle adding mass. Fat doesn't directly help muscle growth, but indirectly. People don't "convert fat to muscle" but instead fat "acts as a catalyst to healing and stress on muscle". If you ever noticed, the strongest guys in the world are fat fat fat. Because they are fat there body is always under more stress then other people, you can't see there muscle but it's there, and a lot of it to. take myself for example, I used to actually struggle with my weight, was 280~ and I would drop 60 pounds, then gain it back cause after losing I had it in my head "Don't need to exercise anymore" and gained it back. I got up to 300 and said fuck it, now at 200, but even when going to the gym, me as a 280 person who NEVER exercised could do more leg press then anyone there. I leg press around 800 when I started, and when I was down to 220 I was hitting 1200~. People who were there that exercised for years doing legs etc could barely get 600-700. Regardless if you notice, most fat people, look at their legs as an example, most of them have NO fat around there calfs, and there legs are huge still, and it's all muscle, due to carrying around their weight constantly.

So the argument you both are having is kind of moot, both people are right, both are wrong.

kkck
September 01, 2010, 09:45 AM
I was under the understanding that fat = lipids = proteins. In that sense, ussop's fat is nothing but raw material that will eventually turn into muscle.

abc1233
September 01, 2010, 01:10 PM
I was under the understanding that fat = lipids = proteins. In that sense, ussop's fat is nothing but raw material that will eventually turn into muscle.

lipids aren't proteins, they are 2 different things >_<

Cizuz
September 01, 2010, 01:22 PM

No both cell structures are very different and fat doesn't actually go away. The only cell in your body that does not go away is fat. When you are born, you have the same amount of fat cells you have when you are older, unless you get fat. Fat absorbs and grows, and fat cells expand to an enormous amount, however when they get to there limit THAT is when they divide. When you burn fat, you never lose any fat cells, you lose only what they have stored. People that are fat before have the major problem that they can gain weight back so much quicker because the body is already used to fat, and so many more cells to absorb and grow.

To quote a doctor

""Muscle and fat are two separate and distinct types of tissue," says Cedric X. Bryant, Ph.D., chief exercise physiologist for the American Council on Exercise. "Muscle can't turn into fat any more than wood can turn into metal. But as muscles shrink because of inactivity, fat can fill the space where the muscles used to be, giving the mistaken impression that the muscles have turned to fat.""

However fat can aid in growing muscle as it acts as an insulation blanket and more stress to body while exercising. That is really it.

tret16
September 01, 2010, 07:04 PM
Fat doesn't form muscle like many people think, however it aids in the formation of muscle in two ways. It provides the body with more weight, AKA more stress on muscles and more work is done for the same weight training, and two it keeps heat in like insulation, causing you to sweat more and oddly muscles need heat to heal at a more rapid rate.

When you work out, you muscle literally rips leaving small bands of empty rips, what happens here is your body then repairs that area by filling those areas in with more muscle(Which needs actual protein and nutrients to grow) and that's actually how muscle grows. You damage muscle, causing small openings or rips which your body fills with new muscle adding mass. Fat doesn't directly help muscle growth, but indirectly. People don't "convert fat to muscle" but instead fat "acts as a catalyst to healing and stress on muscle". If you ever noticed, the strongest guys in the world are fat fat fat. Because they are fat there body is always under more stress then other people, you can't see there muscle but it's there, and a lot of it to. take myself for example, I used to actually struggle with my weight, was 280~ and I would drop 60 pounds, then gain it back cause after losing I had it in my head "Don't need to exercise anymore" and gained it back. I got up to 300 and said fuck it, now at 200, but even when going to the gym, me as a 280 person who NEVER exercised could do more leg press then anyone there. I leg press around 800 when I started, and when I was down to 220 I was hitting 1200~. People who were there that exercised for years doing legs etc could barely get 600-700. Regardless if you notice, most fat people, look at their legs as an example, most of them have NO fat around there calfs, and there legs are huge still, and it's all muscle, due to carrying around their weight constantly.

So the argument you both are having is kind of moot, both people are right, both are wrong.

THANK YOU, you saved me the trouble of explaining it myself... i infact have a book specifically for working out and also how the muscle work and what they look like... It even mentions that the best way for muscle building is that your muscle needs to rip and then heal. And i didn't say that fat held muscle, i said it held water which is a vital way of building muscle. thanks for your explonation cizuz, it saved me alot of trouble

GomuGomuNo
September 02, 2010, 09:55 AM
I think Oda will not show us how they trained the 2 years immediately. The story will go on and maybe luffy uses haki -> then he explains to his nakama and there will be many flashbacks from everyone when they use their new skills.

hope you know what i mean :s

tret16
September 02, 2010, 02:02 PM
ya pretty much everyone is thinking that they are only goin to show flashbacks of there training throughout the retreival of Sunny Go. When each of them is fighting there respective enemy's they are goin to show a small part of there training to show how they got that strong for this type of situation...

p1xel
September 03, 2010, 06:17 AM
I think there won't be long retrospections beacuse there already is a 4 week break.Everybody is waiting for the meeting,so retrospections will be after it.Oda is a master,so we shouldn't worry:)

ScratchmenApoo
September 03, 2010, 02:16 PM
Well I think it will be gradual.

I see that all of the Strawhats are shown improving in one way or another, but for some chapters the story WILL FOCUS on other characters (for example Pacifistas encountering the other guys, the Shichibukai and what they're doing,the Supernovas and their adventures, Blackbeard and his campaign in the new world - maybe have a battle with one of the three Yonkous etc.).
All of that with weekly/monthly timeskips as the narrator says (three months later, this happened) and something similar.

Then The New World is set up better for the adventure of Strawhats and they'll meet once again, foreshadowing some of the tasks they need to use their new powers for.

Uriel
September 04, 2010, 12:00 PM
The basics abilities will be shown when they fight and defeat Kuma.
The "special moves" with each particular character in the next arc.

jacke12
September 04, 2010, 02:56 PM
i dont understand how will Brooke become stronger maybe with new SKULL JOKES

Bigall
September 04, 2010, 03:37 PM
Me I don't know what Oda will reserve us, but I believe that chapter 600 will be memorable in an epic way...
I believe that's when the team will finally gather for good. Oda won't show much of the Straw-hats training. I'll bet he will do a small description of the important events of these two years without much details, and then the story will proceed...

Usop will certainly change, but it's weird to imagine him all buffed. Considering he's a snipper, shouldn't he be more like stealthy or so?

I can't imagine the other character change? What do you think he'll change. Franky will change but still be the same. Brook is a skeleton, so how can he change? The most important change that the characters will experiment are a grow in mentality, power and experience... The rest might just be clothing and one or two tattoos...

Even so, it will be epic for sure because it's Oda's One Piece

kkck
September 04, 2010, 03:56 PM
i dont understand how will Brooke become stronger maybe with new SKULL JOKES

I think he will learn apoo's musical fighting stile. If you recall, apoo is capable of fighting using his music to fight, he actually cut kizaru into several pieces and made him explode with sound alone. I think his ability to turn his body into musical instruments is fruit related but turning into instruments would not make them dangerous weapons. In that sense, I think that part is an acquired skill.

DaoneLuffy
September 06, 2010, 09:17 AM
I hope that everyone will come back with a slightly older look to them. Luffy learning haki is a must for his character's developement. My only problem right now is how much of a waste I think ace was - no disrespect to the Ace lovers out there. But I am disappointed in him, now that we see what the players at the top powers are. No haki advancement or training and he was sitting with whitebeard for at least 2 years. I could understand crocodile and buggy but Ace showed his haki from when he was 10. He couldn't release his handcuffs or use the Kings haki once while sitting there, even rayleigh uncuffed hisself and took off the collar with his haki, sorry for the rant. Luffy is gonna annihilate the first person who gets in his way when he comes back on the scene.

Schabrak
September 06, 2010, 09:50 AM
What are trying to make out of Ace? He was still pretty much a rookie, a strong one though, far from his own prime. His two decades older brothers [Marco/Vista] weren't even able to use much against Akainu. Nor was Whitebeard shown to be able to fully utilize his haki abilities. Having the COQ doesn't make somebody king of the world. You are comparing Rayleigh to Ace here, someone who's got whole decades to master haki, someone who wasn't weakened/restricted by the handcuffs. Luffy on the other hand will have 700days ~ 17k hours just to learn the everything possible about his potential of haki usage.

wrstljr
September 06, 2010, 10:24 AM
Oda will introduce everyone in a new mature fashion, only to then have Luffy swoop in the same ridiculous, semi-retarded, hilarious and adventurous self and the crew will rejoice.

We will rejoice too.

tret16
September 06, 2010, 01:04 PM
actually, when it comes to the handcuffs, they were made of seastone which makes Devil fruit users lose all there strength and feel like a helpless child, Rayleigh doesn't have a devil fruit so the handcuffs had no effect on his strength or anything of the sort so you can't really use that as a reason to show how weak he was... If you noticed, as soon as the cuffs came off he was basically as good as new right away.

kkck
September 06, 2010, 07:16 PM
What are trying to make out of Ace? He was still pretty much a rookie, a strong one though, far from his own prime. His two decades older brothers [Marco/Vista] weren't even able to use much against Akainu. Nor was Whitebeard shown to be able to fully utilize his haki abilities. Having the COQ doesn't make somebody king of the world. You are comparing Rayleigh to Ace here, someone who's got whole decades to master haki, someone who wasn't weakened/restricted by the handcuffs. Luffy on the other hand will have 700days ~ 17k hours just to learn the everything possible about his potential of haki usage.

Not quite sure ace would be considered a rookie by OP standards. He was evidently young and far from his prime but by the time the story had began he already had made a name for himself, made it all the way to the NW and became one of WBs commanders. Ace was by no means a rookie IMO.

joshua019
September 06, 2010, 07:38 PM
I think Oda is smart...I doubt we will see a progression or an instant flashback. Those will occur in action, when they fight someone really strong and they need to take out their triumph card.
I'm expecting that we wont see them together until the end of the next chapter, and we will see first bites of the world in 2 years. Mugiwaras will be all in cloaks that cover them all, only to take them out when they are on the Thousand Sunny. <3

As you say Oda is smart but it seems like he is increase the pace lately... OP is more than 10 years already it wud probably take 10-15 years more but if he wud follow his original pace it take 20-25 more years...

DaoneLuffy
September 06, 2010, 08:25 PM
Ace was no rookie my friend, he wasn't a rookie when Luffy saw him in Alabasta, he was already a commander of Whitebeard. He took down pirates in the new world for whitebeard and made a name for himself there as well as the other seas. All i'm saying is that he was next to the strongest man in the world, whitebeard was rearing him to be the next PK, yet compared to the big boys he falls short. He learned nothing in the new world, didn't develop or show his haki like we expected. Rayleigh is showing luffy the basics, someone from whitebeards ship had to talk to him about strengthening himself. He ran after blackbeard and got his ass handed to him, Luffy went through hell and back to get him, and all he does is fire techniques when he got free, and he is already aware that he has the Kings Haki, Come On Man.

El-Thor
September 07, 2010, 12:24 AM
OMG !!!!!!!!!!! THIS is how Usopp will look !!!!!!!!!!!

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f279/sexydimon/Usoppnn.jpg

kanmati
September 07, 2010, 01:43 AM

ace is not a rookie like comment KKCK. even blackbeard crewmate cannot beat him. How u even know whitebeard not able to fully use haki abilities??? he already use it against akainu, and bang him to the ground. You need to read one piece once more!!

oddlucks
September 07, 2010, 04:16 AM
I got answers for this thread questions, he expose some sketchy about new design :D
here http://mangahead.com/Manga-Collections/Special-Collections/One-Piece-Break-Week-1-Raw-Scan
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4408/51777802.jpg

kkck
September 07, 2010, 08:10 AM
^ I am not quite sure what that is.I saw every drawing in the link but all of them were from old chapters.

Lord Rayleigh
September 07, 2010, 11:17 AM
Some comes from recent chapters - the supernovae's doing in the New World for example. Anyway, it's not new designs unlike oddlucks said. I think I read it was about Oda and the time he thought about these events.

Schabrak
September 07, 2010, 03:07 PM
Ace was no rookie my friend, ... and he is already aware that he has the Kings Haki, Come On Man.
And Luffy hasn't made a name for himself yet? He's just as famous as Ace was, it's just that we weren't shown how people react to his name for a long time. So all the Supernova stop to be Rookies ones they enter the NW? Ace came just as far as Luffy did, just that Ace probably got a bit stronger in the NW, while the Mugiwaras are improving their skills just before they enter it. Luffy has the same potential as Ace did, imo their gap couldn't have been that great after Thriller Bark. Being strong doesn't make somebody less of a rookie, bit more mature, yes, but so is Law. We know nothing about Ace's knowledge about COQ or other haki, so don't state them as facts. He wasn't even able to accept his heritage till the war, so I don't see him as a grown/full-fledged pirate yet, and well he will never be. :P
That's my opinion, so it's your problem if you disagree so much.

kkck
September 07, 2010, 03:28 PM
And Luffy hasn't made a name for himself yet? He's just as famous as Ace was, it's just that we weren't shown how people react to his name for a long time. So all the Supernova stop to be Rookies ones they enter the NW? Ace came just as far as Luffy did, just that Ace probably got a bit stronger in the NW, while the Mugiwaras are improving their skills just before they enter it. Luffy has the same potential as Ace did, imo their gap couldn't have been that great after Thriller Bark. Being strong doesn't make somebody less of a rookie, bit more mature, yes, but so is Law. We know nothing about Ace's knowledge about COQ or other haki, so don't state them as facts. He wasn't even able to accept his heritage till the war, so I don't see him as a grown/full-fledged pirate yet, and well he will never be. :P
That's my opinion, so it's your problem if you disagree so much.

Luffy is largely seen as the "golden rookie" or something of the sort at most. In that sense, no, he has not made a name for himself yet. He is still a long way from that or at least he is a long way from having the same status as ace. I also doubt luffy was anywhere near ace in terms of strength even if the whole logia thing was not a factor. If ace took roughly the same amount of time as luffy did to get to the new world then ace had at least 2 years of experience of being in the NW. Not to mention even before joining WB ace had it in him to fight to a standstill with jimbei, something luffy right now could not accomplish even if his life depended on it. In that sense, in terms of strength and accomplishments ace has gone far farther than what luffy has gone through as of now.

tret16
September 07, 2010, 04:09 PM
Well in my eyes, the word rookie is used for pirates who enter the grandline for the first year... Ace wasn't concidered a rookie because he has been there for 3 years and was as apposed to Luffy only being there for 1 year.

As for the fighting againts Jimbei, you can't really compare at the current moment since Ace was completely healthy and fresh when he fought Jimbei. When luffy attacked Jimbei on the isle of women he was on the verge of deaths door basically which allowed Jimbei to counter luffy's punch.

But you all are having a conversation about how who a rookie or not but i don't see where this is even a problem, Ace wasn't a rookie anymore and luffy was, there no dought about that just by the way everyone was looking at the two of them.

DaoneLuffy
September 07, 2010, 05:03 PM
This is my point rite now people, Ace knows that he has haki, he proved it in the war when Luffy blasts the battlefield he said "you too" proving that he is aware of his own. Once freed from his shackles, he should have recovered enough to use his own haki but didn't. His time on Whitebeards ship meant nothing to his growth. He was no longer a rookie at the war he should have shown more.

Schabrak
September 07, 2010, 05:23 PM
Of course a fire logia user will have some advantages against a fishmen, and as tret16 mentioned, a blind of rage, recovering Luffy attacking Jinbei isn't that good of a comparison. As said, not that much of a gap, but still it's still one that makes him much stronger, he was in full control of his powers. Everybody got to know him being the "second commander of Whitebeard", a man everybody on the earth knows, but it could be otherwise too, so let's stop. It's okay that you have your image of a rookie, I have mine. There are better topics to discuss. :]

Edit: Why are so many saying, that he should have known more about haki? I haven't seen a law stating that it's a need, only that most of the VA, those guys with decades of experience and time to actually learn, are able to use it to some degree. It may had taken Luffy many years to learn about haki and get good with it, if not for Rayleigh. I can't imagine Ace training months in solitary just to learn a special skill, if he's already his hands full with leading a section of a gigantic pirate crew.

DaoneLuffy
September 07, 2010, 05:36 PM
It's cool, people only say he should have known more because of where he was and who he's with. He was the second commander in whitebeards crew, so he had to see jozu and marco and vista fight and wonder to himself about how they do what they do. As the second he should have been better when it comes to haki.

tret16
September 07, 2010, 08:23 PM
ya, that's exactly the way i see it schabrak, by the way love the signatre pic... Sekirei all the way.

Uriel
September 08, 2010, 01:32 AM
Well in my eyes, the word rookie is used for pirates who enter the grandline for the first year
We don't know when exactly the Supernovas entered to the grand line, and there is no sign that they entered all together...They just arrived the same place at the same time, which leads to many, many, many possibilities.

Bo Ashi
September 08, 2010, 05:35 AM
Anyone remember the timeskips we got in Dragonball? Goku and the others decides to split up and train for a few years. When they finally meet up again Goku has grown up and looks more like an adult. Oda is a big, big fan of Dragonball, so that's the kind of development I'm expecting.

It seems like using a timeskip like this is an easy way for the artists to "start over" and reinventing the characters to make them interesting again. No wonder Oda needs a few weeks in order to make it all work with all the characters and the huge world he built.

kkck
September 08, 2010, 07:03 AM
looking back, toriyama actually used several timeskips. There were 3 tournaments in the first part and in between 2 timeskips each of which was 3 years long. Then before radits appeared there was a 5 year timeskip and a 1 year timeskip thingy before vegeta got to earth. then there was the month before everyone got to namek, 3 years until goku returned to earth, 2 years worth of training in the hyperbolic time chamber, 7 years until majin buu and then the final took place around 5 years after majin buu died.... Anyone who was in some way or another inspired by toriyama must do a timeskip lol, it only makes sense.

Bo Ashi
September 08, 2010, 07:07 AM
Yeah, Dragonball sure got alot of timeskips. I was thinking of the one in like, Volume 15 or 16? Just before the third tournament just before it turned Dragonball "Z".

Mashiro_Luna
September 08, 2010, 11:25 PM
I'm sure this has been asked a lot but when should One Piece's break end? Like a rough date or week.

Skyrius
September 08, 2010, 11:57 PM
T___T The announcement's posted at the top of the page people. Read it.

9/27. We should be getting spoilers and such again before that.

Anyways, I've always assumed the rookies were just that. New faces that were beginning to make their way onto the main stage. But one of the major designations is that none of them have yet to experience the New World. We know that Whitebeard's main ship and alliances were from the New World, so it would stand to reason that Ace spent a significant amount of time there as well.

The problem with comparing Ace and Luffy, in terms of strength, is that Oda simply didn't give Ace enough in manga exposure. We've only had one all out battle to see him in. We know that he's famous but Oda didn't quite expand enough on how much of that infamy is his strength and how much is his position in the Whitebeard pirates. However, the fact that he was able to become commander means his strength is many times higher than the average pirate, even in the New World.

triniman121
September 12, 2010, 09:38 PM
he will handle the timeskip a lot better than kishi did with naruto^^..... I hope luffy changes quite a bit... except his personality